- ID'd suspect!
Lord & Taylor department store cameras.
- The guy looks like Blake Shelton.
- Dark skinned individual! Well, Tea Party lives another day.
- Ex-FBI official: The bombings have "both domestic and international" hallmarks.
- International = the type of bomb
Domestic = the projectiles used
- R3, where are you seeing this?
- They can see the prick planting shit. It's in the same bags the bombs were in. They now have a clear facial photo that's going to go out.
Lord & Taylor must be cumming over this.
- r6, CNN.
- where? link please!
- The suspect was captured on camera taking the security tags off of Marc Jacobs scrunchies and a pair of cashmere socks!
- r9, turn on your tv.
- I am at work, I have no TV. Help me!
- R11, thank you! I see it now, WOW, great news.
- BREAKING NEWS: Boston Globe Source: Authorities have an image of a suspect carrying, and perhaps dropping, a black bag at the second bombing scene.
- r12, we'll keep you updated. Go on Twitter. It'll be updated in real-time.
- R12, they have the suspect on camera placing the package, they say "dark skin" individual, they will have a briefing at 5pm.
- Some cunt just got arrested for killing the DAs in TX. She was the wife of a justice of the peace. lmao.
- God, they're arresting everyone today.
- Everyone has camera phones. They had CCTVs. I wonder how fast those other crimes: Oklahoma City, Atlanta, Unibomber, would have been solved today.
- Tea Party cheers! DL'er who swore and cursed out anyone who dare say that it may not be a Tea Partier is on suicide watch.
- Reddit has posted pictures of suspect.
- CNN's John King said the suspect is a "dark-skinned man."
- Jon King on CNN said his source used other identifying characteristics in addition to "dark skinned" but King won't repeat them until the FBI makes a statement because they might be inflammatory.
- So why is Reddit showing the white guy?
- and r23, he keeps repeating it.
- yes, they said they saw him planting the package at the 2nd location of the explosion. They said footage from Lord and taylors.
- Reddit has nothing.
- Old white guy!
- R21, are those the pictures they've been showing on the news? He doesn't look dark skinned. Strange.
Unless there are multiple people involved.
- Reddit is doing it's own investigating. None of this is official.
- r26, we know.
- If Reddit's photo was real, it looks like a Freeper. They're fat, white, and look unkempt.
- Reddit's photos are pretty interesting. But yeah. If King is saying dark-skin....
- r29, they're not showing any photos. That's Reddit's own investigation -- guesswork.
- [quote] So why is Reddit showing the white guy?
Because it's not the right pictures. This is pic that has been posted over the past 2 days of "disappearing backpack" and not the same person.
- So - WTF? Is it a dark skinned individual or the white guy at R21?
If that white guy at R21 is just some guy with a backpack full of water and snacks, he's gonna be pissed as fuck.
- Reddit's dark skinned suspect.
They're just looking at backpacks in the crowd.
- R21, i think those pictures are just people with black backpacks etc, I will wait for FBI's briefing at 5pm and I hope they show us the video footage!
- 4chan has it all.
- this is the guy who did it
he looks like ted kuzinski
- R17, no shit? That's crazy ... wtf?
- r38, I doubt there will be footage. I do wonder if they'll put out a suspect photo.
- r40, he's ONE suspect. Check out r39. All of this comes from 4chan and Reddit.
- I'm not familiar with Reddit but I don't think it's very wise to post some guys picture online and accuse him of possibly being the bomber unless they have good reason.
- r39, WOW, GREAT LINK! i see a dark skinned guy, he definitely looks like he was on a mission and there's another light skinned guy dressed similarly...
- I can't believe they're waiting until 5PM.
Okay, now they're saying it was in a black plastic bag.
- Debka identified the guys who did yesterday, three Saudi nationals living in Revere, one of them was the guy with the burned hands.
- We need to know if it's a dark-skinned individual so we can justify beating the shit out of innocent dark-skinned individuals, unlike when it's a white guy, then other white guys are still safe!
- Judging by 4chan's pics, it's more than one person.
- [quote]Debka identified the guys who did yesterday, three Saudi nationals living in Revere, one of them was the guy with the burned hands.
- That's an interesting link R39 and I kind of thought it was probably more than one person.
- This makes me want to put cameras all over all public streets - like London.
- Debka is a right-wing Israeli website. Yesterday, it reported that the investigation has "homed in on a suspected terror cell of three Saudi nationals, very possibly tied to Al Qaeda."
- If it's more than one guy, then Republicans will start blaming Obama for not knowing about it beforehand. It's going to be months and months of hearings.
- Since they're Saudi, that means we gotta attack Iran!
- R47, that guy was ruled out.
- [quote]'m not familiar with Reddit but I don't think it's very wise to post some guys picture online and accuse him of possibly being the bomber unless they have good reason.
Exactly. If it's not him, I hope he has a great lawyer.
- These guys from r39's link look like they could be military, don't they? Anyway they seem the most suspicious to me but who knows, we're just projecting here.
- An arrest has been made!!!!!!!!!!!!
- [quote]If that white guy at [R21] is just some guy with a backpack full of water and snacks, he's gonna be pissed as fuck.
No shit!! Fuck that. Makes me not want to go anywhere. We're all suspects and our photos can be tossed around the web willy nilly as if we are guilty. What a load of shit.
- ARREST HAS BEEN MADE!
- Just a minute ago, WTOP in DC is reporting via AP that not only has a suspect been identified, but will be brought in shortly.
Surely, that can't be right?
- WHO IS IT?>>>>
- CNN now has breaking news: arrest made.
- Debka is a front for Mossad
- where did you read about the arrest?
- It's a dark skinned male. there will be a public briefing soon.
- Has there been an arrest?
- If anyone should be arrested in a department store-related incident, it's Jeremy Piven.
- How is that this happens and at the same time you have ricin in letters?
- They had 2 different videos of the suspect.
- [quote] where did you read about the arrest?
It's a Breaking news banner on CNN.com
- R70, haha.
- R37, those people look creepy.
- I want to know WHO it is!!!
- It's been 2 days.
Why wouldn't the suspect have fled Boston by now?
- "Wherever we find Americans we will kill them, but we don't have any connection with the Boston Explosions," Ihsan said.
- Do you think it's R37?
- CNN is reporting that an arrest has been made. King's local and federal's sources confirmed this. Identification was based on 2 videos.
- What did Piven do?
- Arrest made!
- BUMP!! SO WHAT'S THE LATEST?
- [quote]How is that this happens and at the same time you have ricin in letters?
Um, because there's a gun debate happening, and the letter was read. It's all about the gun vote.
- Freepers are so happy.
- MSNBC just reporting arrest HASN'T been made. Can't these fuckers wait until they know the facts?
- Lord & Taylor has also arrested two women for pooping in the dressing rooms. It was all caught on video and they have DNA poop evidence.
- Any more news? Based on some of these pics, and what I've seen online - everyone pointing to the "man in blue robe" - look at the similarity of backpack.
- I have a hard time believing Danielle Jonas had anythng to do with this. ...she does seem a little unstable, but really just kind of neurotic, not psychotic.
- ...again, why would the person have stuck around Boston and therefore be so easy for the authorities to find and arrest? Why not get out of the country, or at least the state of MA?
- [quote]MSNBC just reporting arrest HASN'T been made.
Why would anyone trust MSNBC? They can't report for shit.
- r89, it's the internet.
- oh god, i hope they can't zoom in on my faysh
- Oh for fuck sake, R37, I see a lot of people looking in that direction with the same look on their face.
- [quote]Why would anyone trust MSNBC? They can't report for shit.
And while they reported Obama won the election, Fox news showed Carl Rove having a meltdown insisting they were wrong.
- [quote]I'm not familiar with Reddit but I don't think it's very wise to post some guys picture online and accuse him of possibly being the bomber unless they have good reason.
- CNN seems to be sure of it
- How many lawsuits are there going to be with these pics posted online?!??! Or, because they are out in the open/public place it doesn't count?
- R78 Because he lives in the area. People tend to feel more confident and safe (from detection) in places in which they are familiar. Remember that they were screening people at AMTRAK and Logan directly after. And the Oklahoma case? Guy was pulled over for routine traffic stop due to license plate issue. There is probably a logic to heading home and pretending all is normal.
- Not the blue robe guy, he's suing the fuck out of reddit as we speak.
- I hate waiting! I want to know WHO and WHY!!!
Lunatic wearing blackface?
- The living in the area is a guess btw.
- My guess is that the suspect arrested was already in the database, which is how they ID'd him. Not just some generic guy.
- AP says "suspect in custody".
- Upon conviction, what to do with the fucker(s) that did this.
Giving them the needle isn't good enough.
I think we should either
1. Boil them alive - feet first into the pot
2. Feet first into a wood chipper
3. burned at the stake, but slow burn
4. drawn and quartered.
- I hear he was photographed placing it and then calling to detonate the device from his cell phone..
- BOSTON (AP) -- A law enforcement official briefed on the investigation says a suspect has been taken into custody in the Boston Marathon bombings.
The official spoke to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity Wednesday. The official was not authorized to divulge details of the investigation.
- Thank goodness for Hurricane Sandy or those bombs may have gone off at the NYC marathon.
- R106: aren't those plot points from Game of Thrones?
- Maybe he's Iraqi...
- CNN reports arrest. I'm so excited.
- Those two guys look suspicious to me. The guy in the white baseball cap and the guy standing next to him in the blue shirt. Both had bags and the white baseball cap guy seems to be missing his bag in later photos.
- I take it R106 has never heard of the Eighth Ammendment.
- NBC saying "no arrest."
Sources are so full of shit. Each "source" says something different.
- [quote]My guess is that the suspect arrested was already in the database, which is how they ID'd him. Not just some generic guy.
That makes sense.
- Fox reports two arrests have been made.
- "Dark skinned" doesn't necessarily mean foreign, morons.
- Now they're reporting there is NO ARREST.
- Oh dear, someone is going to have egg on their face.
NBC is reporting that there are leads but conflicting reports about an arrest and they cannot confirm anything.
AP is reporting that an arrest has been made.
That's a huge gap.
- "All we can say for certain, is that all of our sources say no arrest." -@PeteWilliamsNBC #bostonmarathon
- I care about one thing and one thing only.
Please don't let him be black, please don't let him be black, please don't let him be black...
- [quote]What did Piven do?
Tune in Sunday nights at 9 on PBS for evidence of his crimes.
- Meanwhile... Letter sent to Obama tests positive for poison ricin.
- What does the N Y Post say? They have the best sources.
12 dead my ass!
- So who was the white guy who was seen running away?
- There won't be any lawsuits. They're just posting photos of people in a public place. They happen to have backpacks. None of the backpack people have been falsely charged with a crime. You can't sue just because someone circled your backpack in a photo of a crowd. It's not like the boss of blue robe man has fired him, or his house has been set on fire and his dog shot because there were pictures of him at the marathon on the net.
- has been an arrest
- I haven't found any website or written info that states the words "dark skinned" where are you people getting this information from ?
If they have a pic it would be all over the internet. Why isn't that posted?
- Some of you guys who bitch about how the media sucks are such sheep. You go right back to believing anything they tell you. Tools.
- Looks like one of the bombs wasn't in a backpack at all but was in a brown bag
- [quote]All of this comes from 4chan and Reddit.
Oh boy, most childish and racist sites on the internet. I'm certain they will get to the un-biased truth.
- [quote]What did Piven do?
He's the title character in the ITV series "Mr Selfridge," about the founder of Selfridges department store in the UK. It's currently being broadcast in the US on PBS as part of "Masterpiece." It's not very good.
- Both AP and CNN says arrest was made.
- He's going to appear in court soon. So yes, an arrest has been made. You can stop going back and forth on that now....
- "NBC insistent about no arrest, saying press (Read: CNN) is just running with arrest story"
NBC's reluctance to report an arrest is a big thing on Twitter at the moment.
- Here we go again. They're just blurting out anything in an effort to be the first to break the story.
- CNN is still saying an arrest has been made
- Boston Globe source reports suspect being taken to US District Court in South Boston.
- Sam Stein @samsteinhp 1m
RT @JesseRodriguez: NBC News: A senior Boston Police Dept official involved in the investigation confirms "no arrest" has been made
- Mike barnacle works for NBC. I'm sure e would be one of the first people to know if an arrest has been made.
- Al Jazeera has it
- CNN right now SIOURCES:ARREST IN BOSTON BOMBINGS Law Enforcement Sources Briefing @ 5:00pm
is on the screen BUT they are talking about no arrest.
- the boston globe trumps any other news source in my opinion.
- I had to chuckle at Brian Williams basically saying CNN was jumping to conclusions.
- WHOOPS! Now CNN is saying "no arrest" !!
- CNN currently eating crow = maybe NO arrest.
- [bold]Boston Marathon bomb suspect 'in custody'[/bold]
Investigation sources say suspect expected to appear in federal court after Boston bombings probe breakthrough.
A Boston Marathon bombings suspect is in custody, according to a law enforcement source briefed on the investigation.
The official, who spoke to The Associated Press news agency on condition of anonymity on Wednesday, said that the suspect was due to appear in federal court.
US law enforcement sources said earlier investigators of the Boston Marathon bombings believed they had identified a suspect in the Boston marathon bombing from security video.
An official announcement on the issue is expected at 5pm (2100 GMT) on Wednesday.
US media reports said that a suspect had been identified in a surveillance video from a department store near the explosion.
Authorities have an image of a suspect carrying a black bag at the second bomb site, they added without providing further details about the suspect.
Investigators of the bombings searched thousands of pieces of evidence from cell phone pictures to shrapnel shards pulled from victims' legs.
Based on shards of metal, fabric, wires and a battery recovered at the scene, the focus turned to whoever may have made bombs in pressure cooker pots and taken them in heavy black nylon bags to the finish line of the world-famous race watched by crowds of spectators.
The blasts at the finish line of Monday's race injured 176 people and killed three: an 8-year old boy, Martin Richard, a 29-year-old woman, Krystle Campbell and a Boston University graduate student who was a Chinese citizen.
Boston University identified the student as Lu Lingzi.
No one has claimed responsibility for the attack.
- If you think about it, who ever did this is rather stupid. There are cameras everywhere at the Boston Marathon. You can't even pick your nose without someone somewhere catching it.
- It's like watching "Newsroom" live on HBO!
- CNN Tom Fuentes just said two sources say NO ARREST.
- CNN does it again!
- CNN now backpedaling furiously. LOL. No arrest? Wha?!
- Here's the thing: an arrest was EVENTUALLY going to be made. So, CNN jumped the gun, knowing that when it all came out in the wash they will have gotten credit for being first. No one will remember the details in two days time.
- Just like to remind people who use CNN as their source:
- The woman with Chris and AC on CNN was saying all along that it was best not to make these claims that someone was arrested. Anderson was saying not to go down the road of speculation. Chris was hoping there was, he was jumping the gun.
- CNN should be embarrassed; if he had any dignity left, Anderson should resign on the spot.
- LOL, CNN now says "There's been a misunderstanding"
- Shut up R157, it's NOT Anderson, it's Chris Cuomo who is jumping the gun and fucking up.
- I see no change from AP news, still "OFFICIAL: SUSPECT IN CUSTODY IN BOSTON BOMBINGS".
- R157 I didn't see Anderson making the claims it was the other guy talking with Wolf Blitzer.
- If CNN is this confused about the story, perhaps King was wrong about the dark-skinned comment?
- CNN BREAKING NEWS - SUPREME COURT STRIKES DOWN OBAMACARE!
- CNN: reported supreme court stuck down HCR.
Fox: three words: Paris Business Review
- TwitterBoston Police Dept. @Boston_Police
Despite reports to the contrary there has not been an arrest in the Marathon attack.
- false alarms all around.
- Mike Barnicle's gonna be pissed if CNN scoops him via the Boston police department
- OK, so this is simply the fact that the suspect IS in custody but hasn't officially been arrested yet?
- This is such a pressure cooker of a situation.
- FBI is in charge of this investigation. Boston PD may not know all. It won't be the first time FBI hasn't shared all the info...
- If you're using John King as your source for info, you're an idiot. I wouldn't trust him to tell me shit that didn't involve vermouth.
- Calm yer tits, r159/r161; I never said Anderson made the claims. I said he should resign (to distance himself from that sinking ship that is CNN) to keep his dignity.
- [quote/]Just a minute ago, WTOP in DC is reporting via AP that not only has a suspect been identified, but will be brought in shortly.
Surely, that can't be right?
Yep too good to be true.
You would hope CNN would be chastened enough by this faceplant to not jump the gun again, but you know as soon as the next big story hits, they'll do it again.
I'm a self-admitted internet junkie, but the online all breaking news all the time news cycle has really dumbed down the reporting business.
Kudos to Pete Williams and NBC.
- Well I agree with THAT R172!
- How interesting that they have been researching every inch with a fine-tuned comb yet sent the debris from the WTC out to China ASAP!
- "Maybe he's Iraqi..."
We need him to be Syrian.. or North Korean.
- Well, THIS is embarrassing..
- Ugh, Chris Cuomo is ridiculous.
- US Attorney’s office: No suspect in custody, no arrests
- I wouldn't be surprised if the 'dark-skinned' thing came from the BPD. I mean, c'mon, it's Boston.
- Joe Johns on CNN is sick of Cuomo asking him additional questions about an arrest. NO ARREST.
- [quote]How interesting that they have been researching every inch with a fine-tuned comb yet sent the debris from the WTC out to China ASAP!
You're a fucking idiot.
- I hate Chris Cuomo, he seems to be the overbearing type.
- CNN: best improv troupe ever.
- [quote]OK, so this is simply the fact that the suspect IS in custody but hasn't officially been arrested yet?
..."In custody" means arrested, doesn't it?
- What difference would it make to anyone if we found out a suspect had been arrested in the newspaper tomorrow morning than RIGHT NOW!!!!!
- Maybe not, r185
- Looks like SNL has their opening sketch.
- why is Chris Cuomo fighting with everyone on CNN. He talks over the woman, corrects everything anyone says.
- Eric Stonestreet @ericstonestreet 7m
CNN: best improv troupe ever.
- CNN reporting that LeBron James is quitting basketball to become president of Candy Land effective immediately..
- SNL needs to have Jimmy Fallon and Rachel Dratch do that Boston couple this weekend, at least.
- CBS NEWS JUST IN: Man sought as possible suspect is WHITE MALE, wearing white baseball cap on backwards, gray hoodie and black jacket.
- Finally, AP makes an update: Federal officials DENY that suspect is in custody.
- Chris is obviously trying to turn Boston into his "BIG MOMENT" and he's screwing up big time.
- [quote] Kudos to Pete Williams and NBC
Pete Williams is CIA. He was a higher up in the Bush administration, a PNAC-loving neocon. Yes, he's gay, but he's a disgrace. He's Dick Cheney, Jr.
- BOSTON (AP) — Federal officials deny that Boston Marathon bombing suspect is in custody.
- Jeff Zucker was so busy hiring/firing "talent" that he never thought hire actual journalists.
- Ugh, R196. I never knew he worked for Cheney. I just looked up his wiki. Repulsive!
- BOSTON (AP) — Federal officials are denying that a suspect is in custody in the Boston Marathon bombings.
A law enforcement official briefed on the investigation told The Associated Press on Wednesday a suspect was in custody.
But the FBI and the U.S. attorney's office in Boston dispute that.
The official who spoke to The Associated Press did so on condition of anonymity and stood by the information even after it was disputed.
The official was not authorized to divulge details of the investigation. The official had said the suspect was expected in federal court in Boston.
Reporters and police have converged at the courthouse.
- No, Pete is not a neocon. He's smart, sweet and gentle. I don't know where you got that about Cheney. He's a far from Cheney as possible - except on marriage equality.
- [quote]Federal officials are denying that a suspect is in custody in the Boston Marathon bombings.
Why would we trust what the Feds say?
- [quote]The official was not authorized to divulge details of the investigation.
- Why do people still flock to CNN for breaking news? I abandoned that ship a long time ago.
Is it out of forced habit? or are people just hoping that CNN would return to its former glory as an actual news organization?
- R201, this is what wikipedia says about Pete Williams:
Prior to joining NBC, Williams served as a press aide on Capitol Hill and at the Pentagon for a number of years. In 1986 he joined the Washington, D.C. staff of then Congressman Dick Cheney as press secretary and legislative assistant. In 1989, when Cheney was named Secretary of Defense, Williams was appointed Assistant Secretary of Defense for Public Affairs, and served as Pentagon Press Secretary.
- What's up with the whistle blower email in that 4chan image? Something about pinning the event on a mentally unstable guy?
- One of these days CNN's jumping the gun will cost actual lives.
- Same here, R204.
I used to watch them religiously, then went to CNNI for a bit, but now I haven't watched CNN in maybe 5-7 years.
- sorry for posting that an arrest had been made--shouldn't have relied on CNN.
- Boston courthouse has been cleared. Staff and media told to leave.
- I'm flipping between CNN and MSNBC right now. They're literally spinning their wheels, having nothing new to actually discuss. Rehashing the exact details of WHEN the FBI got the Lord and Taylor video.
I think I'm going to be sick.
- [quote]Boston courthouse has been cleared. Staff and media told to leave.
Was Ina Garten in the vicinity?
Cafeteria Lady, dishing up burritos
- This is truly a bizarre day for cable news...
- THanks CNN, now a mob has gathered outside the courthouse.
- The guy in the CNN photo has pale skin and dark hair. It's hard to tell what nationality he is. He looks like he's college-aged. I wouldn't be surprised if it's some wacko college student living in Boston.
- [quote]No, Pete is not a neocon. He's smart, sweet and gentle. I don't know where you got that about Cheney. He's a far from Cheney as possible - except on marriage equality
Isn't Pete Williams openly gay?
- ^Never mind, I finally woke up and realized what you were saying. Please disregard.
- Now Kathy Griffin is on CNN with Anderson! Kathy just dropped to her knees like she's trying to give him a blowjob, and she joked that Ryan Seacrest is a suspect.
- Didn't CNN pull the same shit when the Supreme Court ruled on Obamacare last year? They immediately reported that it was struck down, BEFORE reading through the whole decision.
The whole operation needs to be burned down.
- Well, to be fair r219, if Fox News hasn't been shut down because they been wrong so many times, why should CNN??
- R216: Which would only further confirm that he's a neo con. Probably log cabinette trash.
- I'm trying to work from home but can't stop watching the news today. yes I have on CNN. r218 made me laugh out loud.
- Everyone needs to calm down, I need to as well. I need a tramadol. I hate Cuomo but at the same time want to eat his ass, but I need to know more about this suspect...too many conflicting emotions.
- He worked at the Defence Department as well, I think he was press secretary. I have never heard he was a neocon, yes he is opening gay and has been so for years. If you have real evidence he's a neocon, not just that he was an aide to Cheney please post it.
- He was quite prominent (and much thinner and twinkier) during the first Gulf War back in 1990. Those of you who aren't familiar with him are making me feel old.
- [quote]The guy in the CNN photo ..
- Serial killers and spree killers are all homos or psychotic.
Oh wait that's redundant.
- All of the news networks have been known to jump the gun in the pursuit of ratings. It's really pathetic.
Remember Richard Jewell? He was painted(by CBS, NBC, etc )as a revengeful wannabe cop who was bitter at being a nobody, and who was most assuredly the Atlanta olympic bomber.
Turned out he was quite innocent
- Williams appearances on 30 Rock give me the impression he has a sense of humor, something neo-cons typically lack.
- I want to see Anderson, Kathy Griffin and Poppy Harlowe covering this together. And they should have Candy Crowley doing remotes around Boston in her search to find the city's best Boston Cream Pie.
- R229, are you talking about Brian Williams? We're talking about the defense correspondent Pete Williams.
- Anderson is downplaying the bomb threat at the courthouse: "these things happen all the time".
He's a real piece of work. At least Erin Burnett is honest about being a corporate whore.
- And I was so sure it would turn out to be a pissed off non-qualifier.
- Imagine Cuomo fingering Candy's pussy.
- U.S. Marshals have just requested local law enforcement assistance in preparation of moving federal vehicles from the John J. Moakley U.S. Federal Courthouse in Boston.
Source: via live radio traffic.
Where the not arrested suspect is not being held this afternoon
- The accusations destroyed Richard Jewell's life and health. The Justice Dept. leaked his name (and Janet Reno later apologized for it) and he had a true "trial by media."
- I do all the time r234
- Lol r237
- I hope a Muslim or North Korean isn't responsible. My vote is on crazy white guy. I think the ricin letters are connected to the bombing. I have a hunch that it is the work of an anti-government radical right faction
- [quote] No, Pete is not a neocon. He's smart, sweet and gentle. I don't know where you got that about Cheney. He's a far from Cheney as possible - except on marriage equality.
Those who ignore history are condemned to repeat it.
Prior to joining NBC, Williams served as a press aide on Capitol Hill and at the Pentagon for a number of years. In 1986 he joined the Washington, D.C. staff of then Congressman Dick Cheney as press secretary and legislative assistant.
In 1989, when Cheney was named Secretary of Defense, Williams was appointed Assistant Secretary of Defense for Public Affairs, and served as Pentagon Press Secretary during the Gulf War (while gays and lesbians were being tossed out of the military).
While serving as a Pentagon spokesperson, some in the press accused him of allegedly working to conceal certain military activities during the invasion of Panama and successful extradition of Panamanian dictator Manuel Noriega, which was later featured in the documentary The Panama Deception.
He was outed by Michelangelo signorile in 1991 in The Advocate.
During the Plame investigation, Williams repeatedly reported on the investigation and brought into question facts that reporters had uncovered, asking who should be believed -- three reporters or the vice president's chief of staff? Of course, he never disclosed that he had worked for the vice president while he pretended to be a fair and balanced reporter.
- thank you r240.
- Some drunken old queen is confusing Brian Williams with Pete Williams.
- Because of CNN and (Fox which also reported the same bad info but doesn't get the flack CNN does) they had a large crowd in front of that courthouse. Some idiot probably saw that and decided to call in that bomb threat. The media is stirring people up . What were all those people gathered in front of the courthouse going to do if they really had bought in some suspect.
- [quote]Of course, he never disclosed that he had worked for the vice president while he pretended to be a fair and balanced reporter.
Why should he be any different from any of the other "journalists" on the national stage, virtually all of whom work for undisclosed interests?
- R243, people just expect it from Fox at this point.
- [quote]I think I'm going to be sick.
- The worse part of CNN reporting was that one reporter insisting the suspect was a dark skinned man.
- How big is Williams' peter?
- CNN is the laughing stock of the world now and I hope Cuomo gets it in the neck as a result.
- I call bullshit.
Nothing to report people,
FREEPERS and thier ilk on 4chan and reddit are spreading the bullshit about a "dark-skinned" suspect. News outlets jumped the gun.
In reality we have NO IDEA who the suspect(s) is and are.
- OMG! Uncle Eddie!!
- Calm down Andy (r249), you will still get replaced. It happens.
- I go with (MS)NBC. I go with the WBZ/CBS local Boston station. I can't stand CNN unless there is a natural disaster. Floods, hurricanes, earthquakes. They can do that. Blizzards and massive traffic accidents. Busses that flip over, avalanches, tsunamis. Like that. Otherwise they are useless. They are an embarrassment.If Ted Turner were dead he'd be rolling over in his grave. I hate Wolf Blitzer. Hate.
- Erin Burnette and Cuomo are HORRIBLE.
- Since the bombings, MSNBC is getting destroyed in the ratings.
Fox 1st, CNN a somewhat close 2nd, and then there's MSNBC.... who's barely in the picture.
- [quote] researching every inch with a fine-tuned comb
- Well the hell is Poppy Harlowe?
- R255 your point is....?
- In his defense, a comb *can* be turned into a musical instrument.
- MSNBC needs to get a stronger presence when something like this happens. CNN still dominates on big news stories.
- We get the media we deserve.
- Someone needs to be fired over this mistake, Cuomo should be forced to spread his ass for all of America. For at least half an hour.
- Seems like MSNBC is the laughing stock when a major crisis hits.
People are tuning in elsewhere.
- I love R256 and always look for his/her OH DEAR comments wherever they may be posted. I always go back and find that I've sloppily misread something. Kisses to R256. Now, can I fuck you up against a wall?
- Brian Williams is a dyed in the wool liberal Democrat, thank god. Can you bitches please calm yourselves to keep from confusing everyone.
- I thought msnbc was alright, although I only watched for short intervals.
- The major network reporters on the scene of major events always seem to be polished and dependable.
The cable news reporters (and anchors)are horrible on the fly. Stumbling and unprepared during any broadcast at any time of the day.
- FBI press conference has been postponed
- According to Cuomo carpenters nails are now "instruments of death".
- In fairness, R267, their jobs are apples and oranges. Network reporters have 30 minutes to fill. Cable has 24 hours. Not to excuse them, but still.
- Wonder what Cuomos pits smell like.
- Fascinating afternoon of television. They literally started reporting on their own errors and the effects of those errors. Like watching a snake eat its own tail.
- Why does MSNBC keep showing the slowmo video of the cute guy with torn off clothes running away from the blast site?
- Breaking News: The Lord & Taylor security cameras were trained on the women's dressing room. The bomb was contained in a pair of summer wedge espadrilles!
- [quote] Brian Williams is a dyed in the wool liberal Democrat, thank god. Can you bitches please calm yourselves to keep from confusing everyone.
We weren't talking about Brian Williams, we were talking about neocon tool and pentagon plant Pete Williams who is reporting the story for NBC news.
- The guy is Asian. Is this a gift from N. Korea?
- [quote]Brian Williams is a dyed in the wool liberal Democrat
- [quote]According to Cuomo carpenters nails are now "instruments of death".
Going into your tender flesh at 200 mph from the result of an explosion, that sounds pretty accurate to me.
- 4chan's photo analyses, which are pretty convincing, seem to show white and Middle Eastern types.
- they cancelled the briefing that was supposed to begin now...
i would guess they are trying to hunt down more than one person.
- Two out of three of those guys are white.
- 4 chan is showing guys with backpacks when one if the bombs appears to have been in a large brown bag/sack, not a backpack.
- Hobo bomber chic.
- Nothing's going to happen to Chris Cuomo. His brother, Andrew Ratface Cuomo, is governor of NY. He won't allow it.
- I wonder why poster view some of this as network "news" ratings contest. If you want reliable intelligent news, watch for the most part, News Hour, BBC or follow the NY Times on line. The rest is junk more or less- rather, the ratings game you all seem to be falling for as somehow important.
- Wow. People in Boston love their backpacks, don't they? if you showed pics of a crowd at the NYC marathon, you wouldn't see nearly that number of backpacks.
- The 5 pm press conference was supposed to be at the Federal Courthouse. It was delayed due to a bomb threat. It's still expected later today.
- That 4 chan analysis is very interesting.
- Will CNN ever apologize for its circus-like operations?
- The 4chan analysis seems to have pointed out two undercover cops (brown-skinned, as it happens), rather than a possible murderer.
Unless I am misunderstanding the red circles and arrows?
The men that then remain after the undercover cops are discounted seem to be the straggly white guy and ... who else?
- Traces of poison ivy have been found in my garden. Let's go to a commercial break right now. More when we return.
- Will John King be fired? The boy from Boston got the wrong info from source?
- I think the guy/s in the military fatigues look too conspicuous. I'd think they want to blend in a bit more. However, I do think that could be the dark skinned man with the black backpack some witnesses described as trying to enter an area off-limits to the public.
- There's a whole generation brought up with 24/hr cable news. It's always been infotainment to them.
They don't remember when news was confined to certain times of the day with a once an hour, minute-long "news update." And when I was young, we didn't even have the once-an-hour news updates. The hourly updates were introduced during the Iran hostage crisis and the networks decided to keep them after the crisis ended. News updates also gave us the very latest obituaries.
- "The sources identified the person as a man wearing a white baseball cap. One of the sources added that the cap was on backwards..."
Well this will be impossible then. Most of the str8 guys in Boston dress like this. It truly is a city of wall-to-wall straight douchebags.
- Not the media's finest hour. Again.
They are wrong so often on breaking news that they should stop giving a priority to being first. Who cares who is first with a false story.
- Police are circulating 2 photos of "persons of interest"...they are seen carrying the bags.
- Can you link the photos, R297?
- Unfortunately, there are no concrete consequences when these networks screw up. The goal isn't to be factual, its to get ratings. If being first gets higher ratings, or better yet making a mistake and getting press over it gets higher ratings out of curiosity than being cautious and responsible, they don't hesitate.
Look at Fox. Nothing but mistakes and they haven't been sunk. Its so quaint that people still think CNN is in the news business. They even hired an NBC exec to run the place!
- R298, I saw that info on TV but they weren't showing pictures, they said they will wait for the FBI briefing.
- They said that each bomb weighed about 40 lbs., so it's unlikely that only one person was involved. One guy couldn't have lugged around 80 lbs. worth of bombs by himself without being noticed.
- How can they be circulating two photos if no one is allowed to see them?
- R302, i think they are circulating the photos among themselves. The suspect was on the cell phone and they used the time-stamp on the video to trace all calls made within that area...
- 301, if planned properly it could be done. One at a time.
- [quote]According to Cuomo carpenters nails are now "instruments of death".
- I think the law enforcement people are all in a big argument as to whether or not to release the photo.
- So what does this mean for Wicked Single?
- They're waiting for Jessica Fletcher to arrive from Cabot Cove. Apparently, she had to finish solving the poisoning death of a Cabot Cove town councilman before she could fly to Boston.
- Cycle, surely. The weather's better and she's a hearty New Englander.
- @NBCNews 27m
BREAKING: Arrest made in ricin mailings, federal officials say; suspect IDed as Kenneth Curtis of Tupelo, Miss.
- R310, nutjob did sign off with K.C. however, i doubt they are related, but who knows??
- Faux News link
- Debka is a Mossad arm, but they are often right about these things.
My concern is that domestic/foreign forces are combining for this. That's happening more often in the criminal world in general.
Although the "domestic and foreign" elements could simply mean Islamists who are converts or Arab-Americans.
- video released
- Soooo... No photos, no arrest.
- Is this him?
- R317, Maybe but that's only one of them.
- What if the phone he, or any hypothetical bomber, was using was a burner?
- I think they could still use telemetry from the cell towers to localize where the call came from and where it pinged to. Thing is there were tons of calls at the time. Process of elimination? If they match up where the signals bounced from/to and where some suspicious figures are standing...? I'm more than speculating here.
- They got the name wrong. The ricin arrest is for Paul Kevin Curtis. Several sites point to a facebook page for a Kevin Curtis of Mississippi that has in brackets elvisguy. He's some kind of impersonator. He also has the same line on his facebook that was found in the ricin letters.
This guy lists on his FB as independent. But he has a photo where he's giving a thumbs up to a bumper sticker that says christian and Democrat. The right blogs are running with that photo.
- r319, it doesn't matter.
The NSA has it recorded already. They just have to go through the datastream for it.
- I'm right on top of that, Rose.
- The news reports I saw earlier today ndicated that each bomb weighed approxiamtely 20 pounds and that combined they were 40 pounds. I think it was probably more than one guy, but I don't think it was more than two or three. I am wondering how they were detonated. Was there enough time lapsed, for example, if it was by telephone, for one person to trigger first one bomb, then the other?
- I'm also thinking more than one because if there were two men and two bombs then if something went wrong with one, at least the other would work according to their plan.
These guys are probably students. Foreigners in here on student visas. They are probably internationals, and probably did this on their own. No big international conspiracy. Maybe they were pissed off about Git'mo or Syria, or WTF ever.
- What do you think, anonymous? I'm perplexed.
- I partially agree, r325.
I don't think it's a large, coordinated group like the core of the traditional Al Quaeda.
The domestic angle is possible given all the significant times and dates around this week.
I also think that LEOs and the government know that if it is the Angry Right Wing White Male bomber, they've looking at serious public, political reaction. They want to get their shit together.
They did let them get away once (OKC), though I'd like to think things have changed.
- R325 I think you could be right, Boston is a college town and it's easy to get a student visa. They are sympathizers of bin laden or they hate USA or who the fuck knows really. I've seen the pictures posted online of those in the crowd and 2 men stood out to me and they look like they could be in their 20s. White cap like they said. We'll see what the FBI says tomorrow.
- There is no doubt in my mind that a white man did this. I know good and damn well that if he was Arab, Black, Hispanic, or Korean the FBI would have his suspected photo blasted all across the damn media.Once they had a suspect in the DC sniper case, they released those photos before an arrest was made so why not now? The reason they haven't made an arrest yet is because they are getting his story ready for the media. You know the usual ''he had a troubled childhood, he had no friends, he was teased and is mentally unstable'' sob story.
- He was caught in Lord and Taylor taking a shit in the changing room.
- [quote]I am wondering how they were detonated.
On the news this morning, they said it was timers. OTOH, the news people haven't been right about a lot of things today.
- Thanks r330.
I just burst out laughing in a café.
Thankfully, one of the staff is doing an atrocious hipster version of Suzanne, so no one heard me.
They apparently are short of musicians for this week.
- If this is as R325 and others speculate,that this is perhaps the work of the pissed off why would this be a surprise?
We have killed and maimed tens upon tens of thousands,perhaps hundreds of thousands of innocent people in the Middle East over the past 20 years and the chickens may be coming home to roost.
We were warned decades ago about our cavalier dismissal of "collateral damage" and the consequences of fucking with Revenge based societies.(Sounds just like us,right?)
As was pointed out by many Middle Eastern observers when we shoot up some family at a check point or turn yet another wedding reception into hamburger meat - someone or group of someones or survivors from that family,tribe or town will be delegated to get to North America,strap a bomb on and get on a bus,or else plant a bomb and hightail it out of Dodge.
It doesn't matter if it takes 40 years - that is now their sacred duty.
There are consequences to our smash and grab foreign policies.
And BTW, even a slice of rye bread,wheat flour or even the chemicals used in the production of some paper products can give false Ricin readings.
I trust the "ricin" terrorist was not chewing on a pastrami on rye when he posted his letters.
If he was,we'll never hear about it.
- So MSNBC was right all along. No arrest.
- Damn. Charlie Rose has a guest from CBS talking about the clusterfuck media reportage today and Daily Show opened with a sketch on the conflicting media reports on suspects/arrests,
- They sure are deporting that Saudi right quick.
- Gurl I feel like I'm playin' Where's mothafuckin' Waldo with this shit.
- [quote] Gurl I feel like I'm playin' Where's mothafuckin' Waldo with this shit.
How do you think WE feel?
- How did Chris Cuomo do this morning?
- So why didn't they release the photo or video like they said they were going to do almost 24 hours ago?
- Where are the photos?
- Do you think they will finally release them at today's FBI briefing at 5 est?
- [quote]Do you think they will finally release them at today's FBI briefing at 5 est?
Yes, because the NY Post ran a front page cover story with a picture with two guys from one of the links above who have been cleared.
They don't want tensions with the Muslim community to heat up.
Since it's two white guys.
They will release them today.
- NPR News just announced that they will be releasing photos later today.
- Yeah they said that yesterday.
- On now??
- Just starting...minute or two
- Eighteen minutes late and counting ...
- Okay, those backpacks don't look like they weigh 40lbs. Just sayin'.
- So, it's not the 17 year old in the bright blue jacket after all. Poor kid.
- If you were gonna set off a bomb, wouldn't you put your cap on the correct way in order to conceal your face a bit more??
- photos of suspects
released by FBI
- ALLAHU ACKBAR!
- They're long gone.
- [quote]So, it's not the 17 year old in the bright blue jacket after all. Poor kid.
Yes, poor kid. He's a high school kid and now worried some gun nut is going to harm him or his family.
- Where's the geeky Asian guy who massages the images and blows them up to where the detectives can read the luggage tag? He's on all the TV cop shows.
- LOL, R358!
- Tea Party?
- [quote]Yes, poor kid. He's a high school kid and now worried some gun nut is going to harm him or his family.
Am I the only one who read the Daily Mail article and wondered about the kid's relationship with the 24 year old track coach?
- [quote]They're long gone.
These pics are going all over the world. Where they gonna hide?
- You see those dots in the background? When I zero in on them, I can clearly see that is the constellation Orion which was in that sky position at 8:48 pm last night. The murders took place at approximately 9:25. He couldn't possibly be the killer. Detective Briscoe has the wrong man... again!
- I guess the video is clearer than most but why are all of these security cameras so bad? Even shots of bank robbers inside banks are crappy.
- Everyone on the street either had on a backpack or carried a duffle bag...why in the world would I believe these guys are the ONES!
It's stupid, for all I know, these guys could have been injured and their bags were blown up?
Our government is trying to play us again. It always works, as long as they convince the stupid talking heads.
- [quote].why in the world would I believe these guys are the ONES!
Because the tape shows them dropping the bags and leaving, perhaps...
- Bullshit...if that were true, they would be showing it. These guys did nothing and as usual, our government will pin it on the wrong people. They don't care about justice.
It obviously is a Branch Dividian, McVeigh thing.
- It's all so obvious to you, isn't it?
- R365/R367, I think forensics is a little more advanced than you realize.
I'm not saying we should all blindly follow what the FBI says (we don't want another Richard Jewell case), but there's some pretty incredible expertise in this field.
- [quote]Everyone on the street either had on a backpack or carried a duffle bag...why in the world would I believe these guys are the ONES!
Since they know the color of the backpacks (and I would assume the brand and model), and since said backpacks had to be the proper size and shape to carry a 2 liter pressure cooker fulled with explosives, I don't think we're dealing with as many potential suspects as you imagine.
- They aren't R336. Fox/Hannity get it wrong again by relying on an expert who mixed up this Saudi's name with someone other Saudi's name. The kid who was injured in the blast isn't being deported.
- [quote]Our government is trying to play us again. It always works, as long as they convince the stupid talking heads.
You poor, demented little man.
- They have clear video of the guy in the white hat actually placing the bomb.
- where is the "clear video" r373? i haven't seen it, so where did YOU see it?
- R374 - We understand that you are too feeble-minded and do not understand the issues of "discovery" and evidence in courts of law.
Perhaps your unschooled Dominionist Mind might be persuaded by the fact that the video of said suspect would likely be a key piece of evidence in a prosecution and should not be tainted by release to the un-abating, clamoring, and unhinged masses you represent. If evidence is tainted by your kind, it becomes inadmissible in a court of law. It's just a matter of protecting evidence from violation by anything, including your type, R374. The ignoramuses who love being such and revel in their grotesqueness and unkindness. And lack of love for civil law.
- What happened to the other thread discussing the photos? Was it getting too speculative?
- Threads get deleted when armchair detectives post names and identifying information of people who may or may not have anything to do with terrorist attacks.
- new FBI photos
- They look so young, like mid 20s at most.
- CNN is reporting a second person has been brought in by police.
- Names of those 2 were posted on twitter and 1 of them was the missing brown student, not sure if the info is legit though...
- Suspect 1: Mike Mulugeta Suspect 2: Sunil Tripathi. Suspect 2 was a missing Brown student.
- Quick, turn to DNN (Datalounge News Network)!
- WATCH LIVE: One suspect dead, another on the run in Boston Marathon case
Watch the feed!
- So clearly middle eastern and going OTT in trying to look all american. The backward cap is the tell. Too much. No one ever told them less is more.
- [quote]So clearly middle eastern and going OTT in trying to look all american. The backward cap is the tell. Too much. No one ever told them less is more.
You're a fucking idiot.
- THIS IS SO EXCITING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
- [quote] So clearly middle eastern . . .
R387, Let me second your most appropriate reaction to R386.
R386, you're a fucking idiot.
Personally, I think it could be something personal to the older brother rather than a real political reason.
He may be feeling like a loser in life for some reason and this is his way of feeling like a man. If so, what a shame he had to involve his kid brother.
- 3 friends of suspect arrested in New Bedford, including his gf
- mother of two bombers saiys they were framed, that FBI knew her older son....had counseled him over last 3 years
- Could have been one of those situations where the FBI trolled for crazy Muslims and give them instructions on how to make bombs so that the FBI could step in and "prevent another 9/11." Except they got their schedules confused.
- His mussy lives to see another day. God is good!
- [quote]mother of two bombers saiys they were framed, that FBI knew her older son....had counseled him over last 3 years
If there is any truth to this, expect Mom is be silenced, quickly.
- Counseled in that they probably realised he was a nut job and wanted to get him to spill his plans before he did something. Unfortunately, it didn't work.
- agree Ciaran
I'm sure that there are many people monitored in such ways by the FBI...jihadist and terrorist linked sites are watched and the older brother was probably on many of them consistently
what more can be done than visiting and questioning him....if no law was broken that's all that can be done
- So, a 19 year-old kid held the entire city of Boston hostage for 24 hours.
The terrorists have won, right?
Yes a 19 year old kid with bombs, guns and demonstrated willingness to use them.
Now if that is hard for you maybe next time you could go walk around and find one dangerous guy in a city for us.
Oh btw do you take off your cape when posting or is that thing on all the time.
Big S is not for Supernan...
- R398 - you forgot to add "USA! USA! U-S-A!!!"
- I heard on faux news channel, no choice but this is what they put on at work, that a certain country gave the dead brother's name to the FBI 2 or 3 yrs, to watch out for him etc so the FBI knows about the dead brother. I'm guessing that the FBI looked into him at the time but he wasn't doing anything then...I mean what can they do, arrest him for his political leanings? not in USA.
- [quote]So clearly middle eastern . . .
Actually, they are actual Caucasians.
- r400, the country was Russia most security experts have said.
What they could do would depend on what they were told and what exactly the Russians were asking the US gov to do.
- r391, I'd take that with a grain of salt, but it wouldn't be the first time the FBI recruited someone and it went South.