- Romy for me, and Lilli - they both had great international careers in European, British and American films, and worked together at least twice - in the 1958 remake of MADCHEN IN UNIFORM, and a 1954 German musical which had a hit song "Oh Mein Papa".
Lilli of course was married for a long time to womaniser Rex Harrison, and Romy had a fling with him too when they were both in Hollywood in 1863, he was making My Fair Lady, and she was in Good Neightbour Sam, her first made in America movie. Rex turned up one day though to find Romy in a coke coma and fled - like he did when he discovered Carole Landis back in the 40s.
- Senta Berger still looks terrific and still working.
- Hanna was good in those Fassbinders.
- Was Hildegarde the poor man's Dietrich ? She was Fedora of course.
- Luise Rainer
- No clue who any of those people are. I didn't know there was a German Hollywood.
- Hanna was simply luminous also in some other european films as well as Fassbinders. And of course Marlene.
- Marthe Keller is Swiss, not German/Austrian.
The spelling of 'Hildegard' is without the final e.
And Luise Rainer, double Oscar winner, should be on this list instead of Ute Lemper, who is a singer, not really an actress.
Franka Potente is also missing.
Kinski was a pretty face who appeared in some interesting movies, but she's hardly a good actress - which is why her career fizzled out early.
Anyway, I'm going to vote for Romy Schneider. Great talent, amazing filmography.
- Also, we still need a Scandinavian poll thread:
"Best Scandinavian actress?"
It would include Iceland, which is ethnically/culturally/politically a part of Scandinavia, thank you very much.
Poll options should be:
Greta Garbo, Ingrid Bergman, Harriet Andersson, Bibi Andersson, Ingrid Thulin, Liv Ullmann, Ghita Norby, Lena Olin, Bjork, Noomi Rapace.
Could a paying member please start this very necessary thread?
- Franka Potente is considered decent by film snobs? I would've expected them to try and embarrass me for liking some of her stuff.
- Hannelore Elsner
- Jezus, OP, how many of these stupid "Best Actress" posts do you intend to make? You've covered French, Italian and now German. What's next?
You have too much time on your hands.
- r12: Fuck off!
r10: Potente is certainly a more credible actress than Kinski or Lemper, even if Kinski has the more impressive filmography and cinematic pedigree.
Film snobs are allowed to like her.
r11: Elsner is the very definition of 'precious'. She's Germany's most provinical big time actress.
Film snobs should approach her work with caution.
- [quote]Film snobs should approach her work with caution.
I can't stop laughing at this for some reason.
- [r13]: Elsner has been enjoying some sort of a film renaissance over the past few years and has done some very interesting work.
- Elsner couldn't be more pretentious and self-aware; she's trying to emulate Deneuve and Huppert, and is failing badly in really poorly executed films.
Germans delude themselves that she's Germany's 'big serious actress' (that would be Schygulla, anyway).
Every couple of years, the German press makes a big fuss because one of Elsner's pedestrian films isn't accepted into Cannes - a shock reminder that the rest of the cinematic world doesn't share their love of third-rate imitative 'auteur' films.
OP made the right decision by excluding her.
- r9 there is a Best Scandinavian actress thread here a few pages back. The poll doesn't include Iceland but you can reply with your recommendation I guess.
- Maria Schell and Lotte Lenya could have made OP's list.
Then there's Christine Kaufmann - Golden Globe winner (young star of 1962), who had a child with Tony Curtis.
She may be forgotten in the US these days, but is still a big name in Germany.
- Oh you're so great, The Streep troll (tm)! Was about to say Maria Schell. And Christine Kaufman still looks fantastic and has a terrific body.
- Lotte Lenya
- i loved Romy Schneider especially in what's New Pussycat.she was alian Delon's lover and supposedly caught him making love to another man!Very pretty and beautiful eyes...
My current fave is Franka Potente. Her biggest roles were in Run Lola Run and The Bourne Identity films. She's currently on BBC America's Copper. She also did a guest stint on this past season's American Horror Story. She looks like the typical German girl BUT her last name is Italian. She's descended from an Italian immigrant who came to Germany over 100 years ago.She's a good actress she puts other foreign actresses to shame like Cotillard(she can be really good in English or horrid) and Kruger(she sounds like a Valley girl who spent too much time in Germany!). I remember talking to family in Germany and they weren't even aware of Lola Rennt( Run Lola Run) or Franka's talents.
- R13, bite me.
- 'she puts other foreign actresses to shame like Cotillard'
- Good to see the affection for Romy Schneider - so prolific in her day, at least 3 films a year during the 60s and 70s, in France, Germany, England, USA. truly international.
As much as I am au fait with continental players, I have not heard of some of of these ....
agree Ute Lemper more a singer, and Lotte Lenya and Louise Rainer should be included.
- "Almost holding things together is the marvelous Ms. Elsner: there’s more depth in her weary gaze and disappointed mouth than in any line of dialogue. Not since Bette Davis lit and flicked has smoking been so evocative, or so heartbreaking."
The NY Times seems to differ from your labored "film criticism" on an anonymous gossip forum.
- No Hedy Lamar?
And R6, assuming you are younger, I can understand you not knowing most of the people on the list, but not even Marlene Dietrich?
- R23 Oh yes? Have you seen Marion in Dark Knight, she was dreadful.She deserved a lifetime Razzie for that film alone. she was nominated for the French version of a film she did with Gulliame Canet which made Dark Knight's death scene look like a tour de force performance. Franka was never that bad. BTW I like Marion(she's beautiful and has some talent) better in her French films where she's even considered to be a lightweight in France. She's like their version of Scarlet Johnasen.
- Kruger isn't really an "actress" per se, she's more of a model/celebrity.
- I heard the Germans love to shit in people's mouths. I can't wait to go!
The Streep troll (tm)
- And yet, r25, NONE of Elsner's films manage to get into Cannes. They're routinely turned down. (And trust me, she's trying hard to impress the festival people).
Maybe you'll e-mail that NYT review to the Cannes people, and tell them their world-renowned festival is 'labored'?
If my criticsm has that quality, then NYT journalism is facile. Smoking is hardly difficult to play.
Elsner is all gimmicks - no wonder they loved how she lit a cigarette.
- R28 No not anymore. Her bread and butter is from her film work now. She's serious about acting. Mind you she's been as great as Cotillard in anything or as bad either!She's an OK actress at best and known for her beauty as opposed to her talent.
Hedy Lamarr was such a fabulous beauty. Was she left off the list because she did a lot of Hollywood films? Or was it because she was Jewish? To be honest she was fabulous in her day.She came across as a drag queen BUT a pretty one at that.
- 'she's even considered to be a lightweight in France'
No, she's not.
- I like Marion BUT she's done some shitty work. Have you seen DKR yet? Her death scene is one of the worst death scenes of all time.She's got acting chops but she also falls short of being a really great actress. She was very campy in La Vie En Rose.
- 'She was very campy in La Vie En Rose'
She wasn't portraying a mousy housewife from Lille, sweety.
Her 'campy' acting (not really) only lead to worldwie fame and an Oscar for best actress.
Thanks for playing, though.
- nina hoss
- [r30]: Cannes over the past two decades hasn't been good to German movies ... Helen Mirren's movies haven't been featured much in Cannes either without it meaning that she's a bad actress.
- r36, the difference being: other British actresses no only get INTO the program with their films - they actually get AWARDED with the acting prize.
Britain has a profusion of actors and films in the main selection; Germany is regularly snubbed.
The ratio of "no Mirren but other Brit actresses instead" doesn't even apply to Germany.
The next little fact for you: the German press actually makes a stink about this. The British press doesn't - because they don't have to!
Case in point: Hannelore Elsner starred in Cannes bait "Die Unberührbare": pretentious, overacted, imitative twaddle of a film that the French saw right through - and refused to promote.
The German press was up in arms up about this, because, and I will quote your own post:
'Cannes over the past two decades hasn't been good to German movies'
Most German films are hopelessly imitative and precious (with the odd exception: Run Lola Run, Downfall, or Lives of Others -- but even then their directors fizzled out with their next films; I mean Hirschbiegel followed Lives with THE TOURIST, for crying out loud!)
As I said upthread: the cinematic world at large doesn't take German film seriously, and they have good reason to do so.
Hannelore Elsner, meanwhile, is a third-rate Deneuve wannabe, and exhibit A of what's wrong with German cinematic taste. She's the star of a society of engineers who cannot distinguish between the real deal and a provincial copy.
Glaub mir, ich weiß wovon ich rede.
- A fucking HEM!
Two Oscars. In a row. First person ever to win two and first person ever to win them in a row. All in the 1930's while I was still in my 20's. And I'm STILL ALIVE. And you have the nerve not to include me in your list.
- And she looks great for her age, r38.
- What about Heike Makatsch (Daniel Craig's ex - Aimee and Jaguar) and Katja Riemann (Die Apothekerin)?
- Yeah, anyone to comment on Katja Riemann? I heard she had a quite "difficult" reputation.
- I love eating german shit.
- [r37]: stop being such a drama queen.
Cannes, being a French festival, honors enough "pretentious, overacted, imitative twaddle" as long as it's en francais!
I get it, you don't like Elsner which doesn't make her a bad actress. As for comparing Deneuve to anyone, I'd call Streep a 2nd class Deneuve. As for "the cinematic world at large doesn't take German film seriously, and they have good reason to do so."; cinema goes through cycles. About 10 years ago, Mexican directors were really "in", as well as Asian directors. Almodovar has had his time and since Fellini, we haven't really have had another Italian director so influential. Cinema, like any other art form, goes through fads.
I think that German directors have their eyes too much set on the US market (where they generally fail miserably) instead of focusing on building a home-grown industry.
- Leni Riefenstahl. Damn fine director too.
- How could someone play Piaf, especially in that movie, without being campy?
- Leni Riefenstahl, of course!
Speaking of UFA stars, I adore Sybille Schmitz who had a tragic ending.
- 'I'd call Streep a 2nd class Deneuve'
- r40: Makatsch is talent free, yet full of ego. Needless to say, her acting career has fizzled out.
If you want to see her ego at cringe-worthy excess, youtube the interview she did with Madonna, ca. 1996. I've never seen an interviewer with more self-regard going down as spectacularly as she in that clip.
And Riemann is mentally ill.
- Care to elaborate regarding Riemann? TIA!
- 'Cannes, being a French festival'
It is not a French festival. It is an international festival, taking place in France, organized by French people, with a rigorously cosmopolitan outlook.
And they most certainly don't select trashy French films, just for the sake of it.
It is the most respected film festival in the world, and as high quality as you can get.
Be that as it may, the festival organizers loved Fassbinder, Wenders, Herzog, and Schloendorff, back in the day when German cinema meant something. But they have no time for someone like Elsner - for a reason.
- Well, if you spoke German I would direct you to another youtube clip where Riemann had an epic meltdown on air (during a tv interview, only two weeks ago).
Revealing more issues and pathological behavior than you'd care to witness.
The interview made a big splash in Germany, as it confirmed the rumors (of her mental state).
I've never seen someone as arrogant, needlessly hostile, erratic, lacking in manners, as she is in that clip.
She's also a Scorpio, and displays all the worst characteristics of that sign. To the max.
Do with that what you will.
- Which German actress has the best tasting shit?
- "It is the most respected film festival in the world, and as high quality as you can get."
Yes, I'm sure that's why "The Brown Bunny" was shown there.
- R34 Worldwide fame?! She isn't even a household name in America how in heaven's name can she ne an international superstar? And this comes from someone who like her.Streep troll you must have been on meth watching Dark Knight's death scene because she was abysmal in it! One of the worst performances of all time, she made a hack like Natalie Portman look like a good actress in that one.
Oh you were one of those people that was hoodwinked by La Mome AKA La Vie En Rose? It made Piaf look like Judy Garland and she was no Judy Garland. Marion's been good in things BUT she wasn't that great in that film. She didn't even come close to approximating who Piaf was. Marion's over exaggerated performance was right out of an SNL skit! One last thing queenie, she wasn't playing a housewife from Lille BUT she certainly wasn't playing Piaf either! Touche'......
R35 Is Sibel Turkish or German this week? She has a Turkish accent in Game Of Thrones. She was good in Head On(Gegen Die Wand) which was a "Turkish-German" themed film. So how hard is it to play a Turk in Germany if you are a Turk in Germany?! Oh and I haven't seen her porno films BUT I've heard she's pretty good in them.....
- Nonsense all of it. German cinema begins and ends with Marlene Dietrich
- 'Marion's been good in things BUT she wasn't that great in that film'
Speak for yourself, homosexualist!
She took the cinematic world by storm, and won an Oscar for that role. Which means: plenty of people liked her impersonation of Piaf.
And you can't stand that. But who cares, really?
Cotillard has starred in Inception and TDKR, two of the biggest blockbusters in years; it's irrelevant if a screaming bottom such as you doesn't like her acting in it.
She is a high-profile actress, while Potente's 15 minutes are long over. (And I don't dislike Potente... just stating the truth).
How many times has Potente been invited to THR's roundtable? Oh... not once!
Cotillard, meanwhile, remains a critics' darling AND is a bona fide movie star on top of that.
- at the moment: Juliane Köhler. Maybe Martina Gedeck.
- R56 Streep Troll you are not just off base BUT insane as well. Now I know why people hate you. You missed something, I like Marion Cotillard. she is hot(I'm bi-curious) and would do her in a second. She's been good in films like Rust and Bone. Midnight in Paris as well. She was OK in Inception but she has been terrible in some films.Once again she was nominated for a French Razzie for a film where she fought for the director!she blamed the director for her bad performance NOT herself which is comical.
You mentioned her acclaim in La Mome...Julie Roberts is the shittiest actress in the world and she's gotten acclaim for his shitty work! Those award shows are bought and sold. Do you think that people weren't influenced by power brokers in the industry to vote foe Cotillard? They didn't know who the fuck she was,so a lot of people were schmoozed to vote for her. Then again from what you write you seem to know nothing about Piaf because Cotillard and Co made Piaf look like a camp act. She was far from it.
You also look like a moron for using words like bottom and homosexualist....you're projecting too much.You come across as a grade school kid who's had too much air from those whipped cream dispensers!Oh stop doing nutmeg as well it's so passe'....
The Holywood Reporter roundtable? HAHAHA! Those are all starfuckers with studios that push the actresses to do these things.And publicists as well. Marion plays the game and the press very well. I give her credit on that note. Even though her English is not that great grammatically compared to someone like Deneuve.BUT SHE AIN'T NO MERYL STREEP! So isn't even in the same book as Streep. Who was no gorgeous BUT she can act. MC is gorgeous BUT she's only really good(not great) sometimes.
- WHY WON'T ANYONE GIVE ME ANY SHIT TO EAT??!!!
The Streep troll (tm), dealing with dummies.
- 'You also look like a moron for using words like bottom and homosexualist'
That's a bit rich, coming from you.
You were the one starting the name calling, at r54:
'One last thing queenie'
You can dish it out, but you can't take it.
- The rest of your post sound really paranoid, r58.
Cotillard not only impressed the Academy as Piaf, but she also won a French CESAR *and* the French Lumiere award too.
France was officially behind her performance, and the Brits gave her a BAFTA.
She did indeed achieve world-wide fame, and your attempt to turn her into a French Julia Roberts are preposterous.
Oh, and did I mention you sound undhinged and paranoid?
- R58 must be the Julie Christie fan. I agree with La Streep troll, Cotillard and specifically that performance is beyond criticism.
There's a reason it became the only lead actress foreign language performance in 50 years. If that didn't win clearly nothing non-English would.
She was the standout in Inception and really the only thing to like about Nine. The French Razzie was for a film that died a death even in its own country and also something of a backlash there after her win.
The only foot Marion has put wrong since La Vie is her final scene in The Dark Knight. Not sure what happened there but I'm guessing it was a deliberate choice and anti-climax by Nolan so the coda took centre stage. Again, a poorly written female character by him.
- Thank you, r62.
- ROMY, ROMY, ROMY!
- Agreed, Hedy Lamarr was a terrible omission. She was probably the most beautiful AND the most brilliant actress ever in Hollywood. She patented the radio-controlled torpedo, which was a great asset to the allies in WWII. JFK commended her for it.
- Why aren't Nicole Kidman and Naomi Watts on the list?
- Janice, Nicole and Naomi are from Australia and not from Austria.
ROMY ROMY ROMY ROMY SCHNEIDER AGAIN AND AGAIN!