- brilliant!! he was far too good for that born on third basic bitch show anyway
lena looks exactly like the main character from a children's book series called little critter and her ugliness makes me happy
- Dunham sounds like a terror to work with. She is also at odds with an actress on the show.
- He is stunningly handsome. She seems to write scenes that humiliate other characters who are prettier or could possibly steal attention from her, like Marnie being locked in a cage and liking it, Adam's girlfriend having her ass eaten after she says no and then him coming on her after she says no, she demeans the female characters. I can only imagine that she would demean the Charlie character soon enough since he is so stunning and probably the reason a lot of people watch.
- I know we don't like Lens but give me a break, what a cocky fucker. I bet many of us clash with our bosses and don't like the direction they are headed, blah, blah. But we don't get as well paid and as famous as he did. Suck it up, dummy. It reminds me of every fucking idiot who left a great show to "pursue other projects" and did nothing.
- Dude will regret it.
Lena Dunham by the way is a dead ringer for Stephin Merritt of the Magnetic Fields, especially with a Chihuahua in her cleavage.
- Sorry for those lousy links. But you can fish around a little, once you get there.
- When's this show gonna end?
- Good for you, Chris! You don't have to take any shit from the producer/creator, I never do! Come join me and we can do our own show.
- It must be a bitch for talented and professional actors and actresses having to take daily shit from that talent-free fat fuggo Dungham!
I predict the next season will be the last....
- Dunham does look like Stephen Merritt
- It will be more interesting without Charlie. Say what you want about Lena Dunham but she's a lightening rod of controversy and it's that attention that has put so many of the actors/actresses on this show on the map. Since when did Chris Abbott become a writer? She did pretty well by him the first two seasons.
She probably had him hook up with Elijah.
- What an idiot. I guess every generation needs a David Caruso.
- I don't think she knows how to write for men.
When she puts two men together, they talk about Hannah--not sports or movies or politics. I honestly don't think that straight men share those kind of feelings very much. They're much more likely to brag about sexual experiences.
I think Christopher will do just fine.
- 'Stunningly handsome' implies, to me anyway, a guy with unusual looks. I feel like I see that guy on the street every day a hundred times.
The only characters I like on this show are the guys and now Charlie will be gone. :(
- Sounds like lardass is self-destructing.
Hope it costs her that show soon.
- Don't worry girls we will be seeing a lot of Christoper Abbott. He is adorable.
- He is pretty enough, but is he that good of an actor? I saw his episode of Enlightened, but it is not like he is working elsewhere.
- He's supposed to act, not give pointers on the direction of her vision.
This is not a good look for him.
- I'm no fan of that soft boiled pot sticker Dunham, but it IS her show after all. She's writer, director and creator.
It's fine not to like her, but he is very much her 'employee', like it or not. So he probably did the right thing by leaving since he doesn't like it.
She'll eventually go away but right now, she's a novelty just like Justin Beiber.
- [quote]Ugh. The only characters I like on this show are the guys and now Charlie will be gone. :(
Gee, who was expecting that reaction on a queer site about a show about ewwww girls.
- [quote]lena looks exactly like the main character from a children's book series called little critter and her ugliness makes me happy
Whoa...you're actually right. It's her illustrated character twin.
- It's pilot season.
He's getting offers for better (starring) roles written by better writers/producers.
The public and industry will more than sympathize - no one wants to work for that ugly man-hating cunt.
- Poor R22, trolling "queer" discussion forums and just wishing all those gross penised people would die off and go away.
Daddy never hugged her enough you know. Now she's just old and lonely and the only joy in her life is making a nuisance of herself with gay men in places she is neither wanted or welcome.
- [quote]When she puts two men together, they talk about Hannah--not sports or movies or politics. I honestly don't think that straight men share those kind of feelings very much. They're much more likely to brag about sexual experiences.
This is why slash fiction is so ridiculous and embarrassing. Female writers put words in men's mouths that they would never say. Straight men never yammer on endlessly about relationships ad nauseam the way women do.
The fact that LD's male characters do little but obsess about HER is narcissism run amok.
- It's not like this show will last much longer anyway. It was clear in Season 2 that any creative novelty had worn off. Unlike Season 1 which was oddly entertaining, at least to me, Season 2 was a complete chore.
- It's like "thirtysomething" in that the ratings never measure up to the hyoe and critical accolades.
- Which of the female actors is she supposed to be clashing with?
- "I don't think she knows how to write for men."
First of all, I think at least half or more writers on the show are male. Secondly, I never thought the writers of "Sex and the City" knew how to write for men.
- This fucking show won the Peabody Award this year! What the fuck? I can't figure out what the champions of this show saw this particular season to applaud. Season One had a freshness and a bracing brashness that was exciting so maybe they are responding to that memory. Season Two was horribly written (a few zingers does not a script make)and the acting with the exception of some of the males was terrible. Christopher really wasn't tested too much as an actor but his character was more than just a heap of personality tics like Hannah and that Mamet chick. He seemed like a real person. I'm sure this will be the beginning of an exodus...look for Williams or Mamet to leave at some point as well.
- [quote]Which of the female actors is she supposed to be clashing with?
Zosia Mamet, from what I've heard.
Why I can't for the life of me understand why she'd be so difficult to work with!
- He'll end up regretting this. Nevermind the show will be big next year too, he probably burned his bridges with Apatow and he's the only one in that group that looks good on the big screen. Jason Segal's nude scenes are the equivalent to Lena Dunham's only he's molier.
- He's stunning on video, but after googling images, he doesn't look all that great in pictures.
- Exactly r33! Even if he thinks the show sucks and maybe had a reason to leave, he will be branded difficult and really more trouble than he's worth. There are a million starving actors in NY who won't give attitude and would kill to be on a hit show.
- I just watched Season 2 - it was much darker than the first.
this guy is really beautiful on screen, but I realized how deluded Leah Dunham must be after watching the episode where she sleeps with the doctor. He calls her beautiful - which is a stretch, but even more odd when its she herself who wrote the dialogue.
And she never shuts the fuck up talking about herself
- Not to beat a dead horse, but the Wilson/doctor episode was clearly designed as a fantasy.
- Lena is my way or the highway. She's famously difficult to work with. She feels entitled.
- I've been watching the series on demand (didn't have HBO for a while). First season was good, but god, the second season is tedious.
Too many scenes of that fat cow eating. It is like how they begin every shot, with her stuffing her face.
They're resorting to lame attempts to be shocking to make up for lack of writing. How many times do we need to see someone on the toilet? Or that fat pig naked in a tub?
Season 3 will be the last for sure. Any interesting or promising story line seems to get dumped or ended right when it starts to get good.
And this twink, Abbott. He looked good with a buzz cut.
- illuminati 1% piggie girl and her sandbox tv show - RUN for it, dude!
- I love the show, and I love Christopher Abbott as Charlie. (I also loved Christopher Abbott in the movie he did with Melanie Lynskey where he bared his ass. Cute.) But I think Girls will survive without him, and he will survive without Girls. A non-story.
- None of these characters are written as vital to the show. Hell, the British chick was gone until the end of the season - did it really matter?
- I never bought him as a straight boyfriend.
He comes across as very gay.
- [quote]Poor [R22], trolling "queer" discussion forums and just wishing all those gross penised people would die off and go away...
Daddy never hugged her enough you know. Now she's just old and lonely and the only joy in her life is making a nuisance of herself with gay men in places she is neither wanted or welcome.by: Sucks to be you, doesn't it cunt?
Wow, 100% WRONG. Hope your not that much of a loser in life.
- She only has a show because of who she knows. She never got a deal on merit, never because she was ever good. The fat, dumb bitch should keep that in mind. She does deserve to be on television. She went to the front of the line because of a friend.
- Did Abbott ever get his cock out?
- I don't understand actors. If he was in every scene that would be one thing but he's a supporting character on an ensemble show -- he was only in 12 of the 20 episodes. He couldn't just show up, do what Lena asks, and pick up a nice check and have his face in front of audiences, on a show other creative people watch?
- I know R45, it really makes me wish The World According to Jim. Now THAT'S television.
- [quote]I bet many of us clash with our bosses and don't like the direction they are headed, blah, blah.
"I don't like the direction they are headed" and "working on numerous projects" is probably the actor's equivalent to "I want to spend more time with my family."
He was probably fired or has a very good reason to quit that he is being discreet about. Wait.
- R47, Lena may have asked him to do something so explicit and/or disgusting that it will dog him for the rest of his career). If that's the case I don't blame him for walking. She does seem to enjoy degrading her actors.
- r14, au contraire, I think in fact that she writes better for men than for women.
Well, the most interesting character on the show is Dunham/Hannah; and a few of her "older" women - the moms! - have been enjoyable, especially Becky Ann Baker, who plays Dunham's mom.
But of the young people, the characters whom Dunham allows the most nuance are the Alex Karpovsky guy, who is like the John Turturro of the 2010s crossed with Steve Buscemi, and Adam Driver, Dunham's boyfriend, who is the true focus of the show: he's the one she wants, and so the show wants him, too. And then in terms of bit parts, Jorma Taccone has had the most impact as Booth Jonathan the absurd little Brooklyn artist.
And it is not true that guys do not talk about girls, about girlfriends, when they are together. Have you met any guys? Sounds to me like you have issues with successful women. This board in any case hates Dunham for being successful and unashamed, which most of you clearly are not.
- "Season 3 will be the last for sure. Any interesting or promising story line seems to get dumped or ended right when it starts to get good."
Don't be too sure. ENTOURAGE went on long past it's expiration date.
- This is only happening because I watched the entire two seasons on free HBO last week, and I really liked it, and found Abbott's character compelling.
Typical. Any other shows you want me to kill off?
- What cracks me up about these Lena Dunham threads is how green with envy all of you are for her talent and her success. It really eats you up inside like you just can't stand it.
Who knew a talented li'l dumpling like Lena could push so many of you queers right...over...the edge?
- r54, if you are paying attention, you will see that you are agreeing with me, r51, and you should say so. You should not act as if you just had an original thought. Acknowledge people who have already done work in your field! Amazing the virulent hatred of Dunham on this board. You queers need to get therapy.
- [quote]Lena may have asked him to do something so explicit and/or disgusting that it will dog him for the rest of his career
So she wanted him to have sex with her?
[quote]Don't be too sure. ENTOURAGE went on long past it's expiration date.
But ENTOURAGE had great ratings. The dirty secret with GIRLS is that NO ONE watches it outside of NYC. It gets a lot of magazine covers, but no one actually tunes in, aside from the Brooklyn hipster set.
- You women-haters need to wake up. It's a fun show. Okay, it's vapid and shallow and etc. So is every other sitcom ever aired. Stop hating on Dunham.
- It's like none of you remember what it was like to be in your 20s.
- He's sick, R44. Ignore him.
- Sorry r57, but I don't think there's been an entertainment industry figure as eminently hateble as Lena Dunham. The self-absorption, hypocrisy, pretentiousness, nepotism, and exhibitionism are unparalleled.
- I think she's a great writer and director.
That's really all I care about.
- r54& r55 - Still, why do you think you get to say "you queers?" You're just different versions of the 'mo troll.
And do we have to say this every time - you really have no idea who is making what post. It's equally likely that the most virulent posts are by straight females.
- This is a board for self-loathing women and self-hating gay men. It doesn't matter which of them wrote which post. They are equally filled with contempt for women.
- the irrational hate for lena dunham on this board is really fucking unnerving. irrespective of the merits, or lack thereof, of her show.
- Well, R64, she is 1) female, 2) fat, 3) connected and 4) successful. It doesn't help that she also seems to have an unpleasant personality.
- Oh so that's why Lens said she'd kill off Zosia Mamet's character! It was meant as a warning. Frankly, Jessa is the weak link. No1curr about her.
- I don't see how Dunham hates men. Both her [in real life] and her character on the show seem to revere them and kind of put them at the center of many things without questioning it.
- Dunham's men are generally more interesting than her women.
If she's fat, everyone you and I know is fat.
And what the fuck is wrong with being fat?
You fucking faggots are such idiots.
- Why the hate?
Because it's Sex and the City/Sarah Jessica Parker all over again—but worse.
1) Both Lena Dunham and Sarah Jessica Parker play(ed) whiny, entitled cunts who are inherently unlikable.
2) Both have Anne Hathaway Disease in interviews.
3) Both, because of their deluded narcissistic vanity, play characters who are God's Gift to Men, despite being extremely unfortunate looking. Lena writes her character this way; as a producer, SJP made SATC position her character that way. That arrogance alone makes them very difficult to root for.
4) Lena Dunham has never had to work a day in her life; she grew up in NYC with noted artist parents. She has now been assigned the title "Voice of a Generation" although she has been handed everything. That's like saying Goop is the model of the American working mother.
5) Now provincial shitheads are going to start moving to NYC acting like Girls characters.
- [quote]Lena Dunham has never had to work a day in her life
She writes, directs and produces her own TV series. You're an idiot if you don't think that's work.
- I'd like Christopher to cum inside me quite fiercely.
- Lol at Jason Segal as the molier, male Lena Dunham.
- Die, Lens Poonham, die!
- R70, you are a literal-minded dumbass.
That is an expression, and it's meant to convey that, generally, to be a writer/producer/director anything, you go to school, accrue $100,000 in debt, then shovel shit for years as an intern/PA before you become an assistant anything.
That's one impetus behind the "irrational hate." It's not irrational; it's quite rational for anyone who's worked hard to scratch/claw their way up to resent her easy ride with marginal talent.
- It's irrational.
Your jealousy is also irrational.
- R75 = Lena Dunham, squatting over a hand mirror
- This is worse than when Ashley Abbott left Jabot!
- R76 = Bum, posting from a cardboard box.
- R74, and you're just a dumbass.
Having a mother who's only famous in the art world doesn't mean shit and certainly doesn't give her any easier ride to making it in the entertainment world.
Fuck, Colin Hanks is Tom Hanks' son, and he certainly can't get his own HBO series. Yet, people act like Lena Dunham got some free pass because of her artist mother, who by all accounts is successful at what she does, but lets be real, has no fucking weight in the world of TV and movies.
- [quote]Having a mother who's only famous in the art world doesn't mean shit and certainly doesn't give her any easier ride to making it in the entertainment world.
You. Are. Delusional.
- WHET to Lena Dunham?
- R51 = dumb frau who thinks ANY criticism = jealousy.
Newsflash dopey: You can dislike a narcissistic bore like Lena Dunham and still love yourself.
- It's not "any criticism," it's hysterical hatred.
Makes no sense.
- Why are you here you dumb sow cow @ R68? You have clearly lost your way. Let me help you:
- I've never seen this show, nor can I recall ever seeing Lena Dunham in anything prior to this show.
She is so personally repellent and the clips I've seen of the show are so appallingly stupid that I cannot understand why anyone would watch it.
My strongest image of her is when she was slooooooowly waddling up to the stage to accept an award. I swear to god, the girl could not even walk that short distance.
I heard she's doing enough cocaine to fell an ox these days. Maybe it will help her learn how to walk across a room.
Also, what on Earth are all these Lena Dunham fangirls doing here on the DL? Surely she has a webpage or a fansite they can visit.
- It's "Lens" Dunham's way or the highway.
- [quote]Surely she has a webpage or a fansite they can visit.
Begone delusional fangurls:
- [quote]Dude will regret it.
He'll be just fine.
- He was the only good looking male on the entire show.
- Fat girls relate to Lena and take any criticism of her personally.
They really should kill themselves.
- [quote]Both, because of their deluded narcissistic vanity, play characters who are God's Gift to Men, despite being extremely unfortunate looking. Lena writes her character this way; as a producer, SJP made SATC position her character that way. That arrogance alone makes them very difficult to root for.
I'll give you SJP on SATC, but have you ever even watched Girls? God's gift to men? Really? Every guy, except the black republican (and some might say that's fucked up), was either weird, stalkery, or just used her in some way - mostly to fuck her. She has never been portrayed as a beautiful on the show, even her own father pretty much called her fat. As the show's protagonist, you can't even really root for her because she's so fucked up. So there is no way that you can watch this show and come away with #3. You're watching a different show.
- The fact that they fucked her at all is the implausible stretch, R91.
Patrick Wilson was the tipping point. Would. Never. Happen.
- for the record... the poster who only likes the guy characters on girls (me) who started the whole "you queers" kerfuffle is a straight chick
now I return you to your regularly scheduled lens loathing
- I don't really know what to think of this show. The male characters, no matter how cynical, are ultimately pussy whipped by these whiny, childish, directionless, and with the exception of the Marnie character, very unattractive little bitches. Hannah is the new Carrie Bradshaw. What else is there to say?
- the person who brought up tom and colin hanks has a good point.
if having hollywood/media/nyc connections is what got lena the show, then why does she have the lead role when supporting characters like brian williams's daughter and david mamet's daughter have better connections.
can't you just hate lens for her own sake instead of inventing reasons to hate her?
also the molier lena dunham comment re: jason segel is going to be with me for a long time. they so are going to be paired in an apatow flick in the next 3 years.
- Ugly men always think they're entitled to have a beautiful woman and when movies are made about the ugly guy getting the hot chick, it's praised but women like Lena Dunham or SJP get trashed because they depict average looking women with good looking guys.
- Right R74, I'm sure having an artist mother made the LA Film Critics easily roll over and give their breakthrough award to her and everyone at Independent Spirit Awards give her Best First Screenplay. Her mother must be so busy working the phones campaigning for her endlessly! Grace Dunham must be terribly jealous of all the attention their mother pays to Lena because she's nowhere near as successful.
You know even less about the art world than you do the entertainment industry, which is considerable. HBO has a ton of shows in development at any given time; they don't just hand you a show and put it into production.
But your perception of these things is similar to know-nothings who think the film industry is all play. It's not. It's a fuck of a lot of hard work under unbelievable pressure to perform. You're buying into the illusion of show business - that it's all glamour and posing and long lunches. I imagine this is what fuels your irrational jealousy of Lena Dunham.
What's so stupid is that the people on this thread have such strong, preconceived notions of what this show is supposed to be and where it's supposed to go and it is her subversion of your expectations that makes her show so successful. The idea that you know better is characteristic of petty little middle-class queens who think they're so classy, refined and well-mannered. It's called "provincialism" and you've got it in spades. I can just see you polishing your eating utensils at Denny's right now.
- r97 sounds fat
- R98 is looking for someone to massage her hemorrhoids.
- R97 = Lena Dunham.
You poor deluded thing.
- Lens Clamham really does look like Little Critter.
- The hate on DL for Lena has nothing to do with her connections, and everything to do with the fact that she dares to be unattractive and overweight and somewhat successful. That is the capital offense on Datalounge. Love the show or hate the show on its own merits or lack thereof, but don't say shit like "Lena writes her character as beautiful and irresistible to men" because that proves you don't watch the show. As for her fucking Patrick Wilson, guess what. There are a ton a attractive men with broke down looking women all over the planet. Go out and see the world some time.
- Her fucking Patrick Wilson, whose character was lonely and depressed, was not a stretch. I see hot dudes with fat chicks ALL the time.
- I just thought the episode with Patrick Wilson was about two lonely people in a big city. It showed how isolated and lonely for human connection people can be even in "the greatest city on earth." I'm sure it goes on all the time. No need to frame it as fantasy.
- A straight guy will fuck anything with a pussy. I think this is why so many gay men have such animosity to women. The hottest gay guy has no chance against the fattest, ugliest woman. The straight guy probably won't brag about to their friends but they'll most definitely fuck her. And call her at 2am a month later to fuck her again.
- Thank you r106. I have fucked many a pig because it was just easier than going through the effort of getting something better. And believe it or not, there is nothing wrong with having a grateful fat chick in your backpocket for late nights and other handy things.
- I think we can all agree that Girls is an inconsistent show. The first season was oddly entertaining, fresh, and intriguing. The second season started off well, then ended horribly.
That said, I think we can all also agree that:
1. The Hannah/Lena character IS NOT portrayed as beautiful, or even very likeable, on the show. This attack on Lens, that she writes herself as "beautiful" needs to be stricken from the debate. It's just not true, not even mildly true.
2. I'm sure her artist parents helped her a bit. Maybe helped her find an agent. Taught her the discipline it takes to be a working artist. How to behave properly around people in the know. Things like that. But claiming they're responsible for her career is ridiculous. We can site thousands upon thousands of famous spawn, a million times more famous spawn then that of very niche NYC artists, who tried and failed in the TV/Film. I bet what really happened is Judd Apatow saw Tiny Furniture, took a meeting with her, she pitched Girls, he loved it and HE made it happen. And I GUARANTEE you Judd knows nothing of the NYC art scene.
3. Lena is fat by TV standards. I realize that can be odd for us gays. We work hard to stay fit. But, we have to get over it. It's no reflection on us if she wants to be fat. Her life, her body, her choice.
4. While Lena comes across quite charming on TV interviews, certainly lately (she seemed too forced when she first made it), I have no doubt she can be a monster to work with.
- Thanks, R108, for the first accurate description of Lena Dunham on DL.
- Can't we all just agree to call her 'Lens'? It brings me such mirth...
- For the straight guy who fucks fat chicks:
Do you tell them they're beautiful? Dunham has her male characters tell her she's beautiful.
It just seems so bizarre.
- Jesus, get over the beautiful/ugly thing.
- Thanks, R108.
Morality is often a moving target on the DL.
- Thanks, 108. Oh, thank you, thank you, thank you.
Yes, thank you ever so much for or deciding for ALL of us here on DL on what "we can all agree."
- So many misogynists in this thread. I hope you're all a bunch of jealous straight women and not my fellow gays, 'cause it's embarrasssing.
- You know who it is, R115.
- What about us women who don't like Lena or Girls? Are we misogynist?
- "the fact that she dares to be unattractive and overweight and somewhat successful"
WTF? She "dares to be" - her being overweight is one thing, but her illustrating her body with multiple tattoos clearly indicates she is an exhibitionist annoying even to exhibitionists.
I don't give a damn about tattoos or weight, but her insistence on getting NAKED in every single episode is just pathetic. If she were straight, and showing her naked fit body every week would also be annoying.
After all, don't we also dump on Kellan Lutz and Mario Lopez for being shirtless and they are good-looking men!
- [R117] There's nothing wrong with people disliking Lena's work, but the posters who are mocking her appearance and implying that she doesn't deserve to be successful because of that are gross tbh.
- I actually think this guy is an idiot on par with Jon Lovitz, Jan Hooks and Nora Dunne to be doing this but I do agree about people who don't want to see Lens naked. I don't think that if she were a research doctor or a great educator or whoever you would revere, that it would matter. But the fact is she is in a very visual medium where you are absolutely judged on your looks and your figure, and usually people have to bust their asses to stay in shape to get such a job. Everyone knows that tv is about fantasy and if we wanted to see average people, we could do that at home. It's not so much that she dares to be fatter than we like or not attractive but that she gets lauded for it when most unattractive people aren't.
- He probably didn't look forward to more scenes with his face in Alison Williams crotch. That was just gross. As is all the sex scenes in Girls. The only one that was remotely hot was the bi/guy/probablynot on straight girl action.
- BEARASAUR! Christopher Abbott, stars as Dr Kashley Ames, DNA researcher and hunter of his former college roommate's creation, the Bearasaur, part bear, part tyrannosaurs. Coming to SYFY, June 2015.
Seriously tho, this guy is a fucking idiot. Or he needs to come clean with something so heinous that Lens did and we'll probably all still lose interest.
- r117 - probably.
- I actually want to watch "Bearasaur". Which part of the bear would go with which part of the tyrannosaur?
- Looking at Christopher Abbott pictures, I can't get over how beautiful he is. He reminds me of a dark haired young Ryan O'Neal. This kid is gorgeous.
- Maybe he's the one who's difficult to work with.
- In real life their worlds would NEVER collide.
- Please, Princess Christopher probably thinks he has a career in movies. He won't. He can be easily replaced.
- I'm turned off by her flaunting her gross physique, on the toilet, gorging on food, in the shower. The shock value wore off and now it is a crutch.
Season 2 was just bad. The writing was weak at best, like a series of disjointed journal entries.
And yes, the hot doctor fucking that troll was a turning point for me. It would never happen. Hot guys fuck trolls, yes, but they don't keep them around past daybreak.
I can't quite figure out what "direction" an actor would object to for his character - like what, the guy was into bestiality or pedophilia? Or maybe she made him a cripple who could only communicate via blinks as a test of Marni's superficiality? Or had him hurling racial slurs or the leader of a white supremacist / neo nazi group?
- Maybe that's why Girls gets such buzz r120, because Lena is written a show that is sort of real. The only group more fucked up than post college 20something girls are teenage girls. It is an extremely difficult, ugly time. It is filled with stupid choices and mistakes. Fucking stupid guys. Trying to figure stuff out. And Lens sort of captures why its so particularly awful, especially with our generation of pampered kids. I currently have 4 friends whose parents are paying either all or part of their rent, their cell phone bill and other utilities.
- [quote]What's so stupid is that the people on this thread have such strong, preconceived notions of what this show is supposed to be and where it's supposed to go and it is her subversion of your expectations that makes her show so successful. The idea that you know better is characteristic of petty little middle-class queens who think they're so classy, refined and well-mannered. It's called "provincialism" and you've got it in spades.
Wow, Miss Ghetto Thing had quite a hissyfit this afternoon.
- The T-rex. obviously has the bear arms. Charlie too, he'll be fat in 5 years.
- Good point r130 and maybe it is. However there is a thread right now where the super hot (to me) Dean Winters is being called fat and out of shape so some people just will not like Lens, period. I liked the first season but stopped watching this one, just not as good as it was.
- "He's supposed to act, not give pointers on the direction of her vision."
Her vision? What exactly is Dunham's vision, portraying characters who are navel gazing 100% of the time? I recommed this tedious series to people who are masochists.
The character of Hannah has absolutely no redeeming qualities, I almost hoped she would have died when she pushed that Q-Tip all the way into her ear, then she did it again. Talk about predicatable and obnoxious. I really enjoyed the 'fuck you' attitude from the Indian ER doctor who was dealing with her self-absorbed bullshit. When a guest character read her nonsense immediately, it was a much welcomed breath of fresh air.
Most of the times, as viewers, are programmed to wish the underdog character well. In Hannah's case...her obnoxious over-the-top narcissism, especially when she told her former roommate (the "New Normal" actor) that she was grinding her bare vagine into the kitchen chair! Give me a fucking break, there is nothing endearing about such a person and no, you don't feel sorry for them either.
It seems Dunham knows EXACTLY what she is doing, making this character as repulsive as possible for whatever bizarre reason she has for doing it! Possibly, because she simply can? Her always entitled delusional whiny character makes me wish she'd get hit by a Mack truck while walking to her job at Grumpy's. Hannah is so annoyting LD needs to completely write Hannah out of the show, because she is the least interesting.
As others have posted, she needs to stop having other characters call her "beautiful", she doesn't have a 'beautiful' personality nor is she physically attractive.
Hannah Horvath is one of the most despicable, tedious, boring and odious characters on TV, Hannibel Lecter has more charm than Hannah. What annoys people even more, LD is hideous to look at and she is not even funny let alone a good actress. Hannah's repulsive acts make her seem even more disgusting. One has to wonder why LD didn't cast a real actress in this part, jealousy towards a woman who has more acting chops? She doesn't want anyone to outshine her? Message to LD: the public is tired of you already.
Sure, in real life we all put up with the nonsense of pretty people, until we finally wake up and see how horrible they are. In the case of Hannah AKA LD (let's face it, she IS playing herself, she cannot act and comes across as being obnoxious and self absorbed as HH), Hannah is ugly inside and out. At some point, even the best of friends stop putting up with that kind of bullshit.
Of course, there have always been TV series with odious and annoying characters, "Seinfeld" was filled with obnoxious characters, but the actors and actresses could act, the scripts were always hilarious and well written and the series was brilliant.
Am I stunned by the success of "Girls", if not the actuall 'success', then the over the top praise for what is essentially one long student film. Yes, "Girls" comes across like a self indulgent amateurish student film. Apatow must have owed Dunham's family a huge favor, I can't believe the back story that he got in touch with LD because of "Tiny Furniture", because, like "Girls", TF wasn't very interesting or well acted.
Another aspect which infuriates me about this show, the characters are always in the dark, I guess it's a blessing most of the series is so poorly lit, we don't have to see every inch of Dunham's horrendous white Pillsbury Dough Boy body, with apologies to the Pillsbury Dough Boy, at least he's cute and cheerful!
- Ok but enough beating around the bush, r134, tell us how you really feel!
- Characters are supposed to be likeable?
I don't think so.
Nobody more obnoxious and self-absorbed than the people on SEINFELD.
Lena Dunham is really really talented. Hannah Horvath is sometimes self-absorbed, sometimes charming, sometimes annoying, sometimes hilarious: complicated and contradictory, like everyone. She's the most fully rounded character on that show.
I totally believe Patrick Wilson would want her.
You self-hating homos and the women who love them have got to stop being so angry at successful women. It's really getting in your way, and it's hurting teenagers, who count on us adults to set an example for them.
- R125, oh come on! He's a good looking guy but I encounter a handful of guys just as good looking or better when I go to the grocery store.
- Please keep r134 away from any All In The Family reruns!
- r134, have you never SEEN an indie film?
- I'm assuming Allison Williams' pussy must really stink for him to bolt like this.
- [quote]Hot guys fuck trolls, yes, but they don't keep them around past daybreak.
Slow clap for R129. This is a reality that the delusional fangurls just can't grasp.
R136, why are you still trolling here if as you say:
[quote]This is a board for self-loathing women and self-hating gay men.
Which one of those are you?
- [quote]Lena Dunham is really really talented.
- r136 Just wants us to think of the children! His post lost me there, it's quite a fucking stretch to say that people who don't like "Girls" are somehow setting a bad example for teens.
- R136 is the infamous, much loathed Misogyny Troll in a 'somewhat' saner disguise. She can't control her psychosis for very long though. The crazy is really starting to shine through with that last post.
- r143, you deliberately miss my point.
The hatred for Dunham that some of you display is, to my mind, clearly an example of your insane contempt for women, and your typically Dataloungey rage at women who are really successful at anything other than baking pies for you when you were a little princeling of a 9-year-old.
Dunham produces, directs, writes, and stars in a TV series that is as much fun as any other TV comedy, and that has had some wonderful moments. The writing is inconsistent, sure; the characters sometimes do merely what the plot needs them to do.
Plus: Dunham looks like other women her age, she looks like people you know, and she lays a character who is ready to have sex with whomever she likes, and she goes after whom she likes.
I guess that's acting too much like a gay man for your comfort, huh? Only gay men are allowed that degree of sexual agency? Is that it?
You all are pathetic women-haters, and one of the reasons gay teens kill themselves is because of the vicious misogyny that you support and promote and defend and enjoy.
- Why are you here, R145?
- Ha, funny typo: plays a character, not lays a character.
The people who are unhinged are the ones on this board who refuse to intervene against the constant unrelenting hatred of women.
You all are pathetic, really, and tragic, too.
- r146, I like to chatter with strangers about movie stars.
So fucking sue me.
- I don't understand the animosity directed at Lena Dunham. She seems to go out of her way to look awful on the show. She certainly doesn't present Hannah as a sexpot, but as a hapless young woman. I enjoyed Season 1, but Season 2 has a lot of contrived story lines, such as the e-book deadline, the guardian angel junky, and Charley's success. There seems to be nowhere for his character to go.
- I think r134 has summed up the show, the character of Hannah, and Lena Dunhum as star, writer and director better than anyone in this thread. Kudos.
- Apparently, no one on Datalounge can imagine that a woman who is not bone thin and costumed by Vera Wang will have any sort of future.
Has it not occurred to you that Dunham puts Hannah in those unflattering onesies on purpose?
Do you think everyone is as fucking stupid as you are?
She'll try to have a relationship with that tall guy who builds things, and we'll watch that work or not work. I mean: have none of you ever SEEN a sitcom?
- r134 is a vile woman-hater and desperately needs therapy.
Dunham is a charming actor, and sometimes she looks frumpy, and sometimes she looks cute-and-frumpy, and sometimes she makes herself look dour and grim, and sometimes she makes herself look sweet.
You body fascists can't imagine that it's possible for anyone to want anyone with more than -.02% body fat.
You are fascists and emotional terrorists and your reign will end.
- That said, I never believed the whole 3-book story line.
But the scene with the woman who wanted Hannah to write for her blog, and who pointed at the two things hanging on the wall, one of which was a square box that said "Comfort Zone" above it, and the other of which was a little circle way outside the box that said "Where Magic Happens" above it - that whole scene was dead on. Dead on in the way it depicted the editor who wanted Hannah to "step outside her comfort zone." It was total on-the-mark satire of exactly that sort of editor-type-person. And the show if full of little moments like that. She's just Woody Allen as a 25-year-old woman in 2013. Right? Her comedy has a heavy dose of PLAY IT AGAIN, SAM-era Woody Allen mixed into it.
It's just that you CANNOT STAND IT WHEN A WOMAN PROVES THAT SHE CAN DO EVERYTHING HERSELF, including getting Patrick Wilson to mount her.
You are sick with jealousy and rage.
It's so clear.
- That should say e-book story line, not 3 book. Yikes.
- [quote]The people who are unhinged are the ones on this board who refuse to intervene against the constant unrelenting hatred of women.
Intervene how, R147? Who are you, the opinion police? Lots of us gown adults with minds of our own think Lens Dungham is an unattractive, no talent, narcissistic bore. That doesn't make us "woman haters" in general, Sherlock. We just can't stand HER. Do you get that? Can your simple mind grasp the concept that ANY criticism of one woman does not reflect someone's opinion of half the population?
Check out the gif at R142. Now THAT is the sort of attractive, talented actress (who is not skinny, BTW) that we want to embrace. I don't think you will see Christina Hendricks sitting on the toilet examining her last bowel movement any time soon.
- Get some sleep R153. No need to have a mental breakdown over a stupid HBO series. Things will look better in the morning when the nurse comes with your pill.
- I'm a gay man, dude. I'm 54 years old, I was a faggot in high school, I've had 3 long-term boyfriends, currently single, everyone I knew in my 20s died of AIDS, I vote Democrat not because I like Democrats, I have a penis just like other gay guys do (generally speaking), I was best friends as a kid mostly with girls, and those girls saved my life, and I KNOW THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A REASONABLE CRITIQUE OF A SHOW AND AN ANGRY WOMAN-HATING OUTBURST.
This, from r134, is about hating a woman, not critiquing and actor: "LD is hideous to look at." That's John Simon calling Liza Minnelli "liver lips." Dunham is not hideous to look at. And even if you think so, well, that's a subjective call, isn't it? Your idea of what's beautiful is not something on which to base a critique of a TV character.
The link is to Dunham on Letterman looking perfectly cute - skip to 1:10 for a full-face shot. She's cute. She makes Hannah look hang-doggy ON PURPOSE.
- If Lena Dunham had sex with Aretha Franklin at her heaviest, who would be on top?
- The post @r134 sounds like it was written from a woman's point of view. Would you swallow your acid pocked tongue if the poster turned out to be a straight female, r152? I'd pay to see THAT.
- Hannah is quite an unlikable character. But I can relate to her in many ways. When I see Hannah doing all those selfish and annoying stuff it makes me feel uncomfortable then I realize "oh that's how people look at me".
Is that why all these very normal, happy and even popular people here dislike her?
- I think Girls is a brilliant show that has captured the Zeitgeist of the moment. Inevitably, it will rub many people the wrong way. What genuinely puzzles me is why people who seem to hate the show so much and/or hate Lena Dunhan so much continue to watch it. Where do you find the time to hate-watch shows?
- They probably don't even watch, R161. They've seen Lena, they have some awareness of her success, and they just attack.
Pitiful, jealous, spiteful creatures.
- Nothing to see here, just the next Nia Vardalos, folks.
- The typical critique of the show on DL is Lens is fat and ugly and hideous and she dares to get naked on her show and her parents are well connected (forgetting the fact that most people outside of NYC have no clue who her parents are). Only a few people on here look passed the superficial and really understand the story that she's trying to tell. Twenty something girls are obnoxious, stupid, self doubting, phobic, manic, confused messes, even the pretty ones. I'm sorry that her shedding a light on the awfulness of that period bothers some of you so much.
- He's on drugs. Most recent pic of him:
- Hey, I look past the appearance thing. I just don't think the show is as wonderful as it's given credit for.
- Is he Ashkenazic?
- Damn! He looks STRUNG THE FUCK OUT, R165. I bet it is a very druggy set. I keep waiting for a big star's nose to fall off from that illegal cattle wormer the US sent to South America that they're using to cut the coke.
- r159, I have said repeatedly that DL is full of gay men who hate themselves and women who love gay men who hate themselves. There are alas a lot of straight women who despise themselves as women, and they are drawn to gay guys who despise women.
Lena Dunham's characters are no more or less self-absorbed than any other comic characters. They are no more or less self-absorbed than anyone in HANNAH AND HER SISTERS, and my guess is that Dunham's naming her character Hannah is a hat tip to Woody Allen.
- Too bad Girls can't be like Datalounge - full of likeable characters!
- Bingo, R164. It's so weird that hate she garners here.
- If someone wrote a show about thirty something gay men, it would probably play a lot like Girls.
- You can either do things exactly as I say or you can leave. That's your choice.
- [quote] I have said repeatedly that DL is full of gay men who hate themselves and women who love gay men who hate themselves. There are alas a lot of straight women who despise themselves as women, and they are drawn to gay guys who despise women.
And there are an equal to better number of gay men and gay/straight women here who love themselves more than anything ever or henceforth.
Doesn't matter—the show is grossly overrated and so is Dunham's "artistry" and "bravery." No matter how you slice the DL's demographic.
But keep on playing the gender card to try and shut down any criticism of the show or Ms. Dunham. People here aren't that stupid.
The most sophisticated defense of the show's purported brilliance that's been offered here is that it "captures the zeitgeist."
Yeah, well, so did my morning shit.
- Before or after you ate it, R174.
- [quote]You all are pathetic women-haters, and one of the reasons gay teens kill themselves is because of the vicious misogyny that you support and promote and defend and enjoy.
Well, that's perfectly logical.
Settle down. Not everyone likes or appreciates the same things you do. That doesn't make you morally superior, no matter how hard you try to assign mental disorders to anyone who disagrees with you.
Also, if you're a 54 year old gay man saying "dude" you have your own issues besides just losing your mind over-reaching on this topic.
- Let's keep poking it with a stick. Maybe if we're lucky we'll get another hilarious meltdown like R153.
- I thought, for instance, that the episode where Hannah spends the day and night with the Patrick Wilson guy was nicely written and honest and true.
The set-up was a nice riff on "meeting cute": the barista, hipster daughter of yuppie parents, but toiling at a meaningless job for an hourly wage, puts her garbage in a yuppie doctor's garbage cans outside his nice huge beautifully renovated townhouse down the block from the hipster coffee shop.
He complains about the garbage; she goes to his house to apologize; they end up having a romantic interlude that ends with her acting like a kid and his realizing she's a kid and in the morning he's gone and she leaves the house alone with a bag of his garbage, which she dumps in his cans.
It had a neat shape, it was a slice-of-life, it addressed issues of loneliness and isolation without getting maudlin about them, and Wilson made you believe he'd want her, and it was clear she wanted him.
I thought it was a great little one-act play, not the kind of thing you normally see on TV.
You all hated it. You all can't get past her dressing sloppily and having breasts that are not perfect little sculpted things that would fit exactly into a champagne glass - some French guy told me once that the perfect size of a woman's breast was that it'd fit into a champagne glass, which, now that I think about it, is kind of scary, depending on what you mean by "champagne glass!"
But some of you just come right out and say, "Dunham is hideous, she's ugly." As if it were a fact. As if it mattered. As if everyone agreed.
I think she's cute. Not that it matters.
- r169's post was exhausting to read. I have to go back to bed now.
- No, we didn't all hate it, R178. I loved it, actually.
- [quote]Patrick Wilson was the tipping point. Would. Never. Happen
Yet you could publish a book compiled of DL threads about hot straight guys and their fugly wives...
- [quote]The Hannah/Lena character IS NOT portrayed as beautiful, or even very likeable, on the show.
Yeah, I don't get that complaint. She goes out of her way to make Hannah unattractive physically and emotionally.
- Yep, she keeps it real, R182.
We complain endlessly about how fake shit is out there, but when someone ventures a real (and sometimes ugly) portrayal of a human being, we have a fit.
- She writes Hannah as unattractive and annoying as possible, while EVERY male who comes in contact with her, including the GAY one, finds her brilliant, irresistable, beautiful, fascinating and sexually appealing. Not to mention they would all run out in traffic and DIE rather than be without her. Yeah, she's keeping it REAL allright. Wait for it....... she's Sookie Stackhouse!
- R184, that just isn't true. Adam used her for the entire first season. Used her for nasty sex. She didn't really like it, but she knew he was as good as she was going to get. And as is actually often the case in real life, sometimes the person who has all the power in the beginning of a "relationship" (in this case Adam), eventually loses it to the other person (Lena). Not to mention, Adam is sort of emotionally disturbed, not exactly a dreamboat. No one has found her incredibly beautiful, brilliant, etc. A few have found her interesting, and Hannah is interesting.
Are you guys watching the show?
- Adam is too hot for her and would never give her a second look, much less use her for any kind of sex.
That dude would be a god around Williamsburg and have an endless supply of much-hotter girls to do whatever he wanted with.
(Sad, perhaps, but true.)
- Has R184 even watched the show?
- I fucking adore this show. Could care less why anyone says at this point. Only weak link is that chick who plays Shoshanna. An even she on occasion is alright.
- Yes, R187, because that's exactly what happens!
But you are clearly too blinded by your own millennial-girl delusions to see it.
- Yes, I have watched the show. (rolls eyes)
- R186 is right.
- Would a guy really(or anyone for that matter) come to Hannah's aid when she was having her breakdown? Has anyone experienced that? I can't imagine someone doing that for me, i.e. noticing I'm falling apart and rush over to help me out. He really was what she needed right at the moment in time.
I had a rough patch a few months ago (death in family, job loss, cancer scare), and my bf told me to hang in there and then he'd get upset with me because I was struggling and it bothered him. All I really wanted was a hug and someone to tell me everything would be okay.
So my question is whether or not Adam's response to her would be legit in the real world or only a rescue fantasy made possible by the writer.
can't see clearly
- I get why people may have an issue with Carrie Bradshaw, I really do. Carrie Bradshaw lived a life that made absolutely no sense, in any way. I really think that many people dislike Hannah Horvath because that character makes them uncomfortable, for whatever reason, but mainly because her life does make sense and she reminds people of how stupid they are or used to be.
- Your post makes no sense, R189.
- R192? That's so sad for you. When I was in a bad place because of a failed business and the death of a parent, my then recent ex came over three or four times (after I'd over imbibed), put me to bed and slept next to me. A few months later, when he was going through horrible dental pain, I spent the night with him and kept him company as he agonized in pain.
- Adam Driver plays a guy who possibly has Asperger's; he hangs alone in his room all day banging sticks together; he doesn't appear to have friends; he goes to AA once in a while where a crazy mom talks him into going on a date with her hot daughter, and: this was a story line that didn't quite work, because the hot daughter wasn't particularized, she was there only in order to give Adam a temporary-new-girlfriend, and it wasn't clear why she'd like him.
It IS however clear why Hannah likes him: Because he's a fucking OCD weirdo, and so is she. Hannah is both attracted to him and repelled by him, and that's one of the features of their interest in each other: attraction/revulsion.
Maybe YOU have never had a relationship like that, but I think it's really common, and it doesn't show up on TV so much: that you get involved with someone who kind of creeps you out, and your ambivalence about that person doesn't really go away, except: you yourself are such a fucked-up weirdo that just in the moment when you feel that you can do better than the creepy/attractive person, you have a little breakdown that reveals to you that you can never do better than the creepy/attractive guy you feel ambivalent about.
Most relationships in real life are NOT in the dreamy-you're-so-hot-we-want-each-other mode. A lot of relationships are saturated in ambivalence.
The David Mamet daughter person and her older boyfriend: another saturated-in-ambivalence relationship.
The relationship that is the most tedious and unreal, in fact, is the one that is, thank gosh, apparently going away, because that Chris dude will now be gone. And those two characters, him & Marnie, were "the hot ones," and they were also the boring ones.
- When I read posts like the ones at R196/R195/R187/R183, I can almost hear the condescending vocal fry and see beady eyes peering down a nose through hipster glasses, as an overhead thought bubble fills with images from gender-studies class at Wesleyan, then pops in a fit of RAGE THAT I CAN'T TWIST REALITY INTO MY PREFERRED SHAPE SOLELY WITH THE POWER OF MY MILLENNIAL-GIRL DELUSION!
- r197, you hate women, get therapy.
- Adam is "hot"?? Since when??
- [quote]Adam is too hot for her
- Perhaps here, R199?
- More Adam, looking hideous
- More of the so-not-hot Adam
- Yes, he does look gorgeous in that photoshopped GQ cover that looks absolutely nothing like him. The guy is ass ugly.
- Has it ever been established what the fuck Adam Driver's character does all day except "bang sticks" and come up with the weirdest dirty talk I've ever heard of.
- Lens Dunham is a vile cunt. He's lucky to be rid of her.
- r206 demonstrates once again that Datalounge is a misogynist space.
- So why are you here, R207? If you don't like DL there are plenty of other places you can go. You aren't changing any minds. You just keep vomiting the the same tired rant: "If you don't like Lena then you must be self loathing. Get help, get therapy, you all hate women.....waaaaaaaaah." Enough already. Why don't you gather up your barbies and run along home.
- Hatred of women must be intervened against wherever it occurs. Must be, is, will be. Until you stop your hatred.
- I don't disagree that the misogyny is brutal, but do we have to duke it out in the form of Lena Dunham and GIRLS? Neither have ultimately done much to advance gender equality.
- Oh for fuck's sake..it's because the chick is not attractive, do you get that misogyny troll? If it were Jonah Hill in a male version of this, the same shit would be said. Ugly and not slim, two things you don't want to be here.
- I liked the misogyny nazi better when she flew in on her broom occasionally to firebomb threads with some cut and paste rant and then left just as quickly. **sigh** Those were the days.
- Of course it's easier to think there's only one "misogny nazi" and not the rest of the healthy, rational world that rejects your pathology.
- r210, Lena Dunham created, produces, directs, writes, and stars in the hottest new TV show of the last two years.
She is an unbelievably successful like 27-year-old woman.
How is that not a movement in the direction of empowering women? Whatever you think about her show?
Moreover, she has made the decision to give us a schleppy girl as her central character: a Michael Cera girl, a Seth Rogen girl, a girl who is as nerdy as a cute nerdy guy, and: a girl who, like those cute nerdy guys, can end up with a really hot sex partner, if she wants.
I have lots of problems with various episodes and characters in the show's two seasons. Nonetheless, you have to acknowledge that Dunham is taking for granted that she has all the authority she wants, and she is giving us a show that - if it centered on guys - you would all be ejaculating over.
I think Dunham is fantastic. Okay, she condescends to her one gay character. Okay, the British woman makes no sense. Okay, she's never met a black person (except a black Republican guy once for like 10 minutes). Okay, the kids on the show are spoiled privileged white kids. Blah blah blah.
You hate her because she takes her shirt off and doesn't look like a perfect vacant perky bland Hollywood starlet.
You're criminally shallow and I hope you die without ever being touched again by anyone.
- Jesus, r214, that was a pretty fucking mean thing to say to r210. Especially since he agrees about misogyny, what is your personal stake in making sure we all like Girls? And may I say again that if it was an unattractive dude taking his shirt off people would be saying the same this, see the Dean Winters thread (and he is cute).
- I'm not trying to be mean, R214. I'm being frank with you. You're mentally ill and very likely too cruel-hearted to properly assess the empowerment of anything or anyone.
- Misogyny on this board is out of control. I've been watching it continue unabated for 5 years, and I can't understand why you all aren't constantly objecting to it.
- I'm pretty sure he's on drugs.
He's been walking around looking homeless lately.
- r215, by "you," I meant not r210 in particular, but most of you who post here, and who continue to promote and support the vicious misogyny that characterizes this board. I mean, if you want to talk MEAN.
- Lens Dunham sucks.
- It happens to a lot of young actors.
They get a good gig. Start making money. Start wanting to spend that money. Drugs gets a lot of good people.
- R219, The problem is that you're pushing an argument using Lena Dunham and GIRLS, which is rather odd and (in my opinion) unproductive--possibly counterproductive. It's an angle from which you will never accomplish anything.
- r222, the contempt for Dunham is extreme. Some of you like her, some of you don't care about her, but some of you who don't like her are really out of control with your contempt for her, in particular for the way she looks, for what her body is like, for her decision to look a certain way and show her body in a particular light on TV.
It's amazing to me how much some of you despise her for having a perfectly normal body that she is not ashamed of.
- R223 sounds fat.
- LOL, Sorry, I must continue. R222, you keep condensing your hate for the hate into something that is specific to Dunham and Girls. Is it intelligent to base one's opinion of a show or famous person based on how they look? Of course it isn't. It's dumb. But you can't and shouldn't stop anyone from spewing whatever they want about public consumer goods and get them to like a show you like. You're no better if you try this tactic.
You might not realize you're being this way, but you are. Write all you want about misogyny in gay and straight men alike, as it's something that's always important to discuss. But it comes across that you think Dunham and Girls are good examples to support your position(s). They aren't, and they never will be.
- Whoops, I meant R223.
- There are a few Lens Dunham threads where she gets shredded. People who want to espouse her greatness (or not) should check them out. Let's talk about this kid. He's not that cute and there are a million young actors where he came from that are hungry and will easily take his place. He fucked up and we all know it. Yeah, it sucks having shitty bosses but we all do and for far less money and perks. We'll see where he is after the illustrious Bearosaur premiere. He'll be sorry.
- Thanks for your response, R195.
- Is he on drugs???? He looked cute in the new season, but that was filmed a long time ago and he looks AWFUL now. Long great air, unkempt facial hair. His skin looks gross. He looks bloated in the face but weirdly skinny in the body. He walks around in clothes with holes in them.
- r225, DL has a pattern of punishing powerful, successful women, especially entertainers and celebrities. DL posters do that think of either raising up their Diva to unreachable heights, whereat she is no longer human, or plunging her down to the lower depths and spitting on her. Or both at once, or first one and then the other.
It is not at all related to straight guys and their madonna/whore complex.
Gay men are no more able to see women clearly than straight men are - to speak generally.
To many of the gay men on this board, a woman is a figure, not a dimensional person. She is made to represent rather than to be.
And as we live in a culture in which women as a group get paid less than men for the same work; in which women are constantly subject to violence from men, often their husbands or lovers; in which nearly 1 in 5 women in the US have been raped; in which men, predominantly men, sit on the courts and in the state and federal legislative halls that determine whether or not women have the right to terminate a pregnancy. . .
As we live in that culture - and not to mention that the US Senate and Congress are still overwhelmingly male, and there has never been a woman president, and head of major multi-national corporations are overwhelmingly men. . .
As we continue to live in that culture, then: yes, women have less power than men, less political and economic power.
So there is a difference between calling Jonah Hill a fat pig, and Lena Dunham a fat pig.
Jonah Hill is not likely to be called a fat pig by a man who is about to violently penetrate him, pump his unwanted bio-product inside of him, and then kill him.
Women, on the other hand, are often called things like "fat pig" before men rape them and kill them.
I'm not wrong.
- "do that thing," not "do that think," oops.
- Jesus, I should proof-read.
I mean, "It is not at all UN-related to the whore/madonna straight guy thing."
Meaning, it's the same syndrome, differently expressed.
- Oh lawd
- I don't disagree that misogyny is alive and well everywhere and that women are not treated as well as men. But this is a gossip board. I would normally not discuss these people period, like I would never watch ET or any show like that. At this site people are going to be vapid and shallow, at least they are about HBO shows. If it were Joyce Carol Oates being discussed and people were mentioning her looks, that would be annoying and call for someone to be checked, as it were. Lens is not JCO, she is in a visual medium and people are reacting to the things she wants them to react to. Trust me, as she has addressed this on Howard Stern's show among other places, I doubt she much cares if people think she's fat or gross. She's getting paid either way. Also, I stuck up for her, it's her show and if he wants to leave she won't be the one to suffer. I don't watch her show anymore and find her "in your face" shtick to be tired but I don't hate her. Good for her, she's rich while not the ideal beauty. I hope she is happy too. You have to choose which hill to die on, I wouldn't choose this one.
- Ever since someone said she looked like Little Critter I can't unsee it.
- Christ on the cross AKA r230, 231 and 232, why are you here? If you really believe that to be true then this should be the last place you'd want to hang your hat. Move on or shut up. If I wanted to be preached to I'd join a church.
- If somebody started using the word f*g - I don't mean "fog!" - everyone on DL, in all the threads, in a third of the new postings, as an insult - as the worst thing you could say about a guy: You would all care. And you would all fight back. All the time.
- You know R236, I hate the "misogyny" cry whenever a woman gets judged harshly. It reeks of some Sarah Lawrence boundary obsessed post post post feminist. Too collegiate for me.
I'm a gay guy, who loves women, but feels both sexes can and should be either praised or criticized based on a plethora of constructs from talent to compassion. As long as the critique is fair and legitimate, honest and intelligent, I'm all for it. The vast majority of Lena haters on the DL are none of those constructs. I don't know whether or not they're misogynists. But most are rather insipid and lack insight for sure.
- Lena Dunham is the Oprah of her generation.
- Oh, blah blah blah, r238. Get a load of how nearly EVERY SINGLE Dunham hater has made a point of saying she's fat and ugly.
You know, and how dare she take off her clothes.
And yet my guess is that Dunham weighs 1/16th what most DL posters weigh, and my question is: Do you not ever take off your clothes? Do you feel you should be shut off from society forever unless your body is perfect?
Loathing of Dunham's body is misogyny and it is also loathing-of-bodies-in-general.
DL posters are body fascists *and* misogynists.
The more you disagree with me, the more you prove my point.
- It doesn't matter whether you're right or wrong, REverything. You're DOING it wrong. Hopefully you're a troll, because (as we've already mentioned) you sure don't seem to know how to assert your supposedly good intentions, starting with asserting them in a thread like this.
- "A thread like this" is a thread in Dunham is submitted to aggressive misogynistic abuse. My comments are in response to this.
- R242. But when you "step in and fight on behalf of Dunham," specifically, a few issues pop up. Not only is comment on Dunham's appearance not your battle to fight, but when you take it upon yourself to basically assert censorship thereof, you might as well ask to erode your own free speech.
Grotesque and specific comment about people's physiques in entertainment is nothing new. It was happening at the time of vaudeville, and I'm sure even earlier. **That doesn't make it right.** But unless someone threatens to physically harm Dunham, your will to reduce misogynistic speech by spring-boarding from this topic is very, very foolish. In fact, it's foolish regardless. If you really cared about it, you would find another avenue. YOU seem equally shallow, for thinking this is the way.
And I'm not trying to dismiss you just so that gay men can hiss about Dunham's appearance. I have never (NEVER) criticized her body or used it as a cop-out criticism of her show, and it annoys me when people do, because it's illogical. But you want to extinguish mean and/or shallow comments about the appearances of public figures? You'll be sorry.
- r243, you are picking a different fight in order to ignore my point.
My point is that Datalounge promotes and encourages hatred of and contempt for women.
Promotes and encourages.
Spreads, insists on, congratulates itself for.
It's depressing and infuriating and frankly just kind of tacky.
And it's in every thread.
- R244, If I was talking about an irrelevant point to yours, it must be because you've done a poor job of making your point clear.
So you've isolated it to "DL promotes and encourages hatred and contempt of women."
Then I'll repeat myself: don't try to change this by using Lena Dunham or GIRLS as examples.
- R240? Moron. I'm on your side. I appreciate and like Lena Dunham. I love most eps of Girls. My point was that I don't know whether or not the haters on the DL are misogynists or not, but I do know they're idiots who don't know how to critique a television star.
- This is why I am confused that someone would make this the hill to die on. Really? For Dunham? I see things that irritate me everyday, I am not going to make the tipping point be some woman who I don't and probably never will know and who seems pretty content as is. There are women being beaten, as you said earlier, and raped and abused. Lens is not one of them. Go volunteer at a woman's shelter, donate money for a woman to go to Michfest. Trying to sway someone on this point will probably not be a fruitful endeavor. I also think that people dislike her for her youth too, that also can't be changed and isn't subject to gender.
- lmao i'm glad my little critter comment has resonated with you all
chris does not look like he's on drugs, he just looks like he's going through a whitman phase
- News for the slow:
Style, characteristic, and ethos.
No matter who or what is being discussed.
- I'm not disagreeing with you on that, R249. In a number conversations, it would seem true.
But you are the slow one. You realize not that the approach of your claimed "mission" DOES matter. And in this case, your choice (and wording) speaks volumes about your own lack of insight.
- r250, I appreciate your trying so sweetly to educate me! Maybe I'll learn how to talk proper and not drop my aitches! But you're dreaming if you don't think that every DL thread about anything related to Lena Dunham's GIRLS isn't just an excuse for DL posters to say vile things about women. Read this thread, dude.
- But why r251? This is an anonymous board where people say whatever they want with impunity. Why would they attack Lena as the symbol of all women? Go to the Jodi Arias thread, read where people say things like, "stupid cunts always murder men and get away with it." Get mad about that, I did. The Lena thing is odd. Are you from her camp somehow? I don't think this thread is any code. Op probably doesn't like Lena and was spoiling for people to commiserate but it was nothing blatant about how sucky she is, that just came up. I have tried to steer it back to how dumb the dude is to leave but now it keeps getting derailed again.
- [quote]Maybe I'll learn how to talk proper and not drop my aitches!
That is ridiculous.
Secondly, you're dreaming if you think you can affect change by condemning the various excuses, especially ones of a modern commercial entertainment nature, that men use to demean women.
Dig much deeper. Then get a blog.
I actually disagree, R248. Drugs. But then again, they're done by the vast majority of actors.
- all women are cunts and should be exterminated.
- r251....you sound like a smelly cunt
- Yeah, yeah, blah blah blah. DL has been calling Dunham "grotesque" and "hideous" and a "slut" and "fat" and etc. for a while now.
It's just epically predictable, given how much DL posters despise women who do whatever they want sexually, or make a lot of money, or let people know they're smart, or get Patrick Wilson naked without begging him or holding a gun to his head, which is clearly what most of you would have to do.
- Why don't you find another web site r256 since DL apparently upsets you so. I think your life would be happier if you weren't constantly annoyed by DL.
- R258 et al, how do you explain your attack on me when I have said, over and over and over, how much I like Lena and GIRLS?
Maybe you merely misread my post?
- I wasn't a misogynist until this shrieking harridan showed up. Now I am.
- R247, speak for yourself. If you're jealous because you're old then I guess you didn't do much with your youth. So tiresome these queens who have thrown in the towel think they speak for every mature gay man. If you're not enjoying your life at any age then I guess you're doing it wrong. You must be very short-sighted and never figured out how to live well and prosper. Now you try to take everyone else down to make yourself feel better.
I am not jealous of Lena Dunham. I admire her success. While Girls is ostensibly about a specific age group there is a universal element that transcends age. You'd probably hear it if your ears weren't buzzing with so much hate.
- R172, HBO has something like this in development. Can't remember the name attached. Coming soon.
- I wish we could actually discuss Girls episode by episode somewhere here for people who actually enjoy the show somewhat. I love the show and do not understand the hatred. Enlightened was absolutely brilliant as well, but is done now. Even in the Girls thread, everyone here hates the show and just says how awful it is from start to finish.
- A fawning article in The Hollywood Reporter referred to Dunham as a 'size 8'. I'm sorry, but no. There is simply NO WAY that schlubby chick is a size 8 unless she is 5 feet tall.
- DL is not the place to come to cape for Lena Dunham. In fact, I can't understand why anyone would come here expecting good things to be said about any celebrity male or female.
Everything said so far is typical commentary on looks and appearance and the same treatment that most celebs get on here and all over the internet. I'm not saying it's right, as it's pretty much online bullying, but it's almost a given in the entertainment industry to be judged on your looks. Lena Dunham is average looking. not ugly but slightly frumpy but she's definitely talented and that should be what matters most. Of course, her being a woman opens her up for more criticism about all things visual.
I can't say much about the quality of her show. I saw a few of season one's episode and didn't understand the hype but it wasn't awful, I found myself laughing at some stuff. Personally, I think the ironic funny yet nervous and jittery and also average looking white girl has been done to death in this decade of TV history. I guess I didn't get that the characters are supposed to be astonishingly awkward and normal floundering 20 year olds. I also don't find myself relating to the show but then again I'm not white nor do I live in NYC and thus it's not my reality.
- Well, R264, if you don't relate to, care about and LOVE all things Lena Dunham then you are a self loathing 20somethingwoman.
YOUR MISOGYNY IS KILLING US!!!
- Le-na Dun-ham
- The 2nd season was actually quite dark, and actually at the same time, funnier. I like the development of the characters quite honestly. Adam Driver and Jemima Kirk were the standouts for me. And everyone said how Hannah's OCD seemed ridiculous, but that was totally autobiographical of Lena's life- she actually had serious OCD issues.
- When someone is picked by Hollywood as the "voice of the generation", they'll have a successful career, a la Diablo Cody.
- Lena Dunham's breasts like tar
Lena Dunham's gone too far!
Lena Dunham kills all dreams
Lena Dunham's shark teeth gleam...
Lena Dunham smells like cheese
Lena Dunham's on her knees
Lena Dunham's Ewok ass!
Lena Dunham, born with FAS...
- This show is really good , but the last episode of season 2 was laughably bad. Adam racing through the streets to save Hannah from turning her head compulsively while on FaceTime seemed like a parody.
- I agree 270. I actually liked the episode, but that ending DID seem like a parody, and the over the top background music. It didn't even seem like it was from the same show! Hannah's voicemail to Jessa was funny as hell though.
- My guess is that Abbot showing up to set looking like a homeless drug addict when his character is supposed to running a successful business is where the butting heads started.
- Weirdly datalounge and feminists are on the same side with this one. I've seen posts from feminists concerned that Dunham exploits her privilege, portrays a whites-only New York and shows a lack of awareness on her twitter, making jokes about burkas etc.
- I think Lena Dunham writing about the world she knows is far less offensive than, say, the white chick who wrote The Help.
- I am a fat chick in her 40's. I am definitely fat. There have been times when i've starved myself down a bit, but never anywhere close to the cultural ideal. I've been fat my whole life. I don't really care anymore if it's my fault or biology. I just do what I can in terms of eating good foods and exercising. I don't expect to ever be thin or even normal but my health has always been good and remains so.
I have a pretty face and hair. I am naturally a nice person too and years of being treated poorly have taught me even more empathy. I lived in NY for 20 years and slept with many very attractive men. They all wanted me, either for stress free sex or because they really did like me. I knew the difference too. I knew who really liked me and I wasn't fooled. Of the ones who really liked me, most of them did not want to be my boyfriend because they were too chicken to go out with a fat chick. But most of these guys were really lonely inside and appreciated the chance to really relax with somebody and not worry about proving anything.
Now I'm married. He's attractive and marches to his own drummer. He really doesn't care about norms and he's been attracted to a wide variety of women in his life, fat and thin. We click in every way, intellectually and sexually and we consider ourselves lucky.
I can't tell you how many of the attractive men from my past treat me like "the one who got away". Things have not worked out so well with all the hot girls over the years and now these men are aging and still lonely. It's not that the hot girls and guys are bad people, it's just that they absorbed some negative values that don't lead to successful relationships. I never had a choice but to develop other values if I wanted to live without killing myself.
I wish everyone would stop absorbing the values spread by popular media and would just be themselves. I wish that so much value weren't placed on attractiveness. I know that people don't have to be so lonely when they don't have to be. Remember when you were a tiny kid and you just liked who you liked because they made you laugh or they made you feel good?
- I wish you and I could be friends in real life, R275. You seem really cool.
- Great post, R275.
- [quote]portrays a whites-only New York
This is the one critique the really bothers me. Because, quite frankly, even though we're all supposed to be post racial and everything, the fact is white people tend to have mostly white friends and black people tend to have mostly black friends. Even though NYC is a big melting pot, the truth is you go to a party and you'll see one or two black people, definitely a couple of Asians, but mostly white people. Go to certain places in NYC and your going to see mostly white people hanging out together. I don't think it's racist or bigoted, it's just that people tend to group together.
Only on TV and movies are you supposed to show this world that doesn't exist. Have you ever watched a TV show and there was a black character and you wondered, why is there a black character with these hipster white kids?
I've been to Brooklyn. Lena's portrayal of Brooklyn, for her world, wasn't that far off.
- Plus, she's had non-white characters on her show. Donald Glover played her boyfriend for a few episodes, even.
- Hello, but isn't it obvious that she sent out signals that she wanted his dick, he rebuffed her and lo and behold he is now fired.
He should have just sucked it up, snorted a line a coke and slept with the manatee.
P.S. Stephen Merritt is a musical god, trash like Dunham shouldn't even be mentioned in the same sentence as him.
- r280, a bet you a million bucks Lena Dunham was a big Magnetic Fields fan in college. And I'll be you a hundred bucks that her scene where she puts a chihuahua in her cleavage is a conscious homage to Stephin Merritt. There are certain shots of her throughout the series where she looks so much like Merritt it's eerie.
I LOVED the last sequence at the end of season 2. I'm sorry. It was over-the-top, yes, but that was part of its charm. Dunham is playful and funny and she goes right out there.
Nobody reading through this thread would be able to cling to the notion that many DL posters are irrationally angry at women.
Dunham has gotten more flack for her physical appearance than any TV star I can think of.
She is so not "a fat chick."
It's insulting to fat chicks to call Dunham a fat chick. Dunham has a little bit of a tummy, is about the most you can say.
- Yea it's clear that ugly fatty wanted the guys dick. He should sue her for sexual harassment. All the man hate on this thread is disturbing. But we are a strong lot. We endure. Still, I feel for this guy. Having to be harassed by that chick? My sympathies. Gross. Just Gross.
- Her show is completely unwatchable now.
The writing of season 2 is utterly dreadful and probably the primary reason so few episodes were shot.
It's a show full of cliches, caricatures but has minimal character or plot development.
I'm surprised Abbott is the only actor running for the exits.
I feel second-hand embarrassment for the cast who have to act out such shitty writing.
Please tell me they didn't get an Emmy for this crap.
- Wasn't he in Terminator 2, one of the worst movies ever? And he's having character issues with "GIRLS"?!?
- Could you imagine the shade that Bea Arthur would get on here if Maude premiered last year on HBO. Like all message boards Datalounge hates, but DL hates not attractive and/or overweight with the white hot intensity of 12 burning suns. You make that not attractive and/or overweight character a woman and you're at defcon 2 on the hate meter. Add black and you're at defcon 1.
- R285, Don't mind black at all or Bea for that matter. But Lena Dunham is a fat ugly cunt.
- I have no idea how "GIRLS" got on such a great network like HBO, I really don't. It really irks me. HBO needs to cancel this shit asap and pretend it never happened before they risk becoming a third-rate network by continuing to promote this crap and calling it a 'masterpiece'.
This a slap in the face to the legacy of other legendary ground-breaking shows of HBO like "The sopranos" or my personal favourite "Six feet under".
This show is like a bad acid trip.
Really bad acid trip.
- R278 this is generally based on social strata and environment/exposure, not skin color, but it remains true. And for blacks, it can also be about a history of being excluded and/or unwanted elsewhere, and not wanting to risk rejection. And yes, racism does sometimes come into play.
It *is* changing, but I would never hold it against Lena (or anyone else) for portraying it the way it usually is.
- [quote]The writing of season 2 is utterly dreadful and probably the primary reason so few episodes were shot.
There were 10 episodes in both seasons.
But it's interesting people complain about the writing in season 2, since Dunham actually wrote less on season 2, whereas in season 1 she at least co-wrote every episode.
- "Who do you blame when your kid is a BRAT / Pampered and spoiled like a Siamese CAT / Blaming the kids is a lie and a SHAME / You know exactly who's to BLAME /
The mother and the father..."
- r275 - I would LOVE to watch a movie based around your post. Thanks for sharing.
- "But Lena Dunham is a fat ugly cunt."
Really makes me wonder what kind of a loser anyone saying that is in real life.
- Proving my point.
Proving my point.
Proving my point.
Proving my point.
Proving my point.
- But your point would be put to so much better use--actually any use at all--on a different subject, R293.
- I agree R292.
- I watched the last three episodes of Season 2 last night with a friend who was catching up on the season. The final scene in the finale plays better when you know it's coming; it was just such a surprising place to go but the show is compressed and there might have been some attention paid to ending it with some finality should it not be renewed. My friend said immediately, "It's come full circle."
The writing is hilarious. The oft-mentioned phone call to Jessa, any scene that has her parents in it. I loved it when her book editor says, "What's happened to the pudgy face streaked with sadness and semen?"
Typical dim-witted, one-dimensional DL fails to engage with the joke. Lena Dunham knows exactly what she's doing. She certainly doesn't need any creative input from this narrow-minded board. There are just some places DL refuses to go - like any place that requires self-reflection. How it must terrify you.
- R293 has resorted to stamping her little feet.
- Wonderful post, r275.
- No, R296. It doesn't terrify me. I simply have criticisms of the show and its hype.
- I wonder if R296 threatened her friend at gunpoint to watch it with her. It must be required viewing for anyone she comes in contact with.....OR ELSE.
- Aaaaand just by this thread it's obvious nobody will miss Christopher Abbott. Altho this is the only way I would have learned his actual name.
- Who r284? Abbott was 5 when Terminator 2 was made, no he wasn't in it, or any of the other Terminator movies. And Terminator 2 isn't one of the worst movies ever just because you don't happen to like it. It was a big hit and gets a 98% rating on Rotten Tomatoes.
- That outfit she wore in the Patrick Wilson episode was the worst EVER! What was she thinking?
- I'd actually love more gossip about what exactly happened on the set and between Christopher Abbot and Lena Dunham. Since he's like a third string supporting character, what exactly made him balk about his storyline? Is Lena crazy? Is the set a mess?
Seems like radio silence since the story broke. No leaks, no gossip.
- r303, Lena Dunham doesn't dress like Hannah when she shows up on TV chat shows and awards shows.
She has made the choice to give Hannah a nerdy-girl wardrobe.
I get the feeling that some of you are eager to imagine that Dunham has no idea what Hannah is like.
- He's mostly foolish for quitting work no matter how you slice it, but reliable word is that LD is not liked by many people who work with or for her. The entertainment industry's most advanced ass-kissers, who have known nothing other than professional ass-kissing for years, probably work well with her, as they don't know up from down or left from right; they only know "IN." That's not supposed to be a smug statement, that's just the way it is.
- It is tpyical that a powerful producer-director-writer-star who is also a woman would be called a bitch.
Maybe it hasn't happened with Tina Fey, but it does seem to happen more often than not.
And how many hyphenate women are there out there, in any case?
I will reserve judgement about Lena Dunham until I work with her.
- For what it's worth, R307, while you raise a legitimate point, that point has been discussed and dismissed by a woman who has happened to meet and then work with her. Just a tidbit.
- It's weird, this story isn't even mentioned on Deadline.
- Oh, r308, so I guess all women are always right about all other women, just like all gay guys are the same and have total and final authority in saying what any other gay guy is like.
Thank gosh you cleared that up for me!
- No need to be juvenile, R310. I never said that. If it came from a source that sounded catty, I wouldn't even have brought it up. Dunham is younger, and she's bound to not have much management experience, so I don't personally judge anything that might be the result of that cause. And I'm not going to make or break her career, so what does it matter? To elaborate, there are other (older) female execs who also own their workspaces very authoritatively and work their employees very hard, yet their employees generally love them (Tina Fey was actually an example given).
- Its clear he's on drugs. The question is: what kind of drugs?
- The kind that left me up for days, thinking I am superman and quitting my job..fuck, my head is killing me, I need some sleep.. I wonder if Lena will take me back if I apologize? I guess I shouldn't have listened to Megan's career advice when she and Brian and I hung out last month.
- Her 15 minutes are almost up.
- I hate the Dunham Troll.
I trolldar'd the putrid little cunt and I'm f&f'ing every post she makes.
She hates the DL and she hates gay men. There is no fucking reason why that rancid cunt should be allowed to stay here.
- Does she even post anywhere else r315? I have told her several times to go troll another thread where there may actually be misogyny and lecture them but she is pretty married to getting us all to agree that Lens is a ravishing beauty and Girls is better than a cure for cancer.
- The "Dunham troll," as you call her, is me, and I am a guy.
I am a guy.
I am a guy.
I am a guy.
It is evidence of DL's misogyny that it would not occur to any of you that a man would object to your vicious misogyny.
But I object.
- I don't know yet, R316. Her hatred of the DL and of gay men has certainly shown up in other threads and other posts with a very similar style. I'm keeping her on trolldar and we'll see. If she ditches it (as most trolls do) then she'll turn up again and I'll f&f the shit out of her again.
She hates the DL, she hates gay men.
She needs her fat ass permanently banned.
- Once again, I'm a card-carrying guy.
- Whatever you have between your legs, R317/R319, you are hysterical, tedious and WRONG.
Now be gone.
- R316, don't forget that she's also the new Woody Allen. So brilliant and talented her wit and insight goes right over our heads. She's......"the voice of a generation."
- One reason queer teens are driven to suicide is because of our culture's overall contempt for women.
You contribute to it on Datalounge.
- If you're a gay guy, R319, why aren't you commenting on any of the other threads?
- r232, that's an odd question. I'm not sure it makes much sense, not unlike you.
I comment on plenty of other threads.
- Forget gay teens, I wish someone would drive this troll to suicide.
- [quote]or get Patrick Wilson naked without begging him or holding a gun to his head,
Dumham held money to his head, that's how she got him naked. He didn't just get naked because he liked her or wanted to be with her, idiot.
[quote]Dunham has gotten more flack for her physical appearance than any TV star I can think of.
Then you're not thinking much at all. But then, we knew that. Are you blind, or have you not read all the dishing of Eric Stonestreet and "his looks"? Or his onscreen partner, Jesse Tyler Ferguson? Gay men get trashed here all the time. True divas, however - not pretenders to the throne like Dunham - are adored ad nauseam.
- He was the only eye candy on the show.
- The reason that Lena is so polarizing is that she embodies the attitudes of her generation that drive older people nuts, such as "you can never criticize me." Millennials have an innate sense of self-esteem, nurtured by their parents and educational system that clashes with the values that older people have grown up with. How can you like yourself if you're 20 pounds overweight? How can you call yourself beautiful? These people don't feel shame about anything, such as accepting parental handouts at age 25 or being offended when work involves drudgery. If you suggest that a see-through blouse isn't apropos for a job interview and that it invites unwelcome attention, you are slut shaming. Narcissism to this generation is like water to a fish--they don't see it but it's apparent to those were brought up with different values. I'm not condemning or criticizing this generation. I'm a baby boomer who teaches college so I'm exposed to these attitudes constantly. The only permissible criticism is constructive criticism and it must be accompanied by praise. At heart, these are very fragile people. There's also a huge creative class that is lugging around enormous loans and which has unrealistic expectations of success because no one's ever been straight about their lack of talent but that's not a reality this show gets into.
I'm shocked at all the insulting personal comments that are directed to those who aren't fans. They're just as vitriolic and devastating as the "Hannah is a pig" comments but they're much more personal. I think it's this generational factor kicking in: If you insult Lena Dunham, you're insulting me and my values so you must die. It's quite excessive.