- This '90s Calvin Klein Obsession ad was one of the first things that made me know I liked boys more than girls.
- p.s., I know it's not terribly old, but...
- Not old, but very memorable
- I walked right pass Jim Palmer a couple months ago at the Orioles Fanfest here in Baltimore. He was there signing autographs, and he had this air about him like he knew he was the shit. I have to say, he does still look great.
I love the suggestiveness in that ad..."I'm always PITCHING a winning combination..." I only see I'm always PITCHING a tent..."
- I loved these magazine ads as a kid....
- Life before Pepsi...
- "Care for a drinkie poo, Miss Crawford?"
- Blew so many loads to the Jim Palmer ads.
And also the Calvin Klein ads - one specifically with a man in "tighty whities" where his bulge was visible and he was otherwise naked. Gorgeous man in the sun. So sexy.
- OK, to be more specific re: Calvin Klein ads -
THIS was my masturbatory fantasy man.....
- Love Mommy
- Betty Grable for Chesterfield's!
- Arlene Dahl says: I love to see a man smoke a cigarello.
- "They're cut to fit... to fight fatigue."
- All of these
- The Great American Male.
- Dirty, DIRTY girl!
- More and more women are reporting amazing gains on their bustlines using the fabulous Mark Eden bust developer!
- Is that a tennis ball in R18's BVDs? Hot! I loved how slightly porny ads from older magazines were. Everything today is so generic and glossy.
- Yeah, I dreamed it. So what?
- I lost weight with AYDS, and so can you!
- I lost weight with Ayds and so can you!
- Good God, R23!
- Gay Slant Girdles
- r19 - I thought that was a picture of Anne Frank!!
- Ayds is Wonderful! According to Joan Blondell
- R24 GMTA (gay minds think alike!)
- Tom Hintnaus
- If there's a bully in your life who needs to be cold-cocked in public, Charles Atlas would like a moment of your time.
- Pretty pretty?
- Only $1.25!
- R20, I recall that exact ad with those girls! Tell me, did we ever find out what the Mark Eden program for breast development actually entailed?
- R31, what do you think would happen if we printed your Charles Atlas addy, filled out that little coupon and mailed it into the address now?
- The Mark Eden Bust Developer addy mentioned earlier and its scandal.
- Lose 3-5 waste inches in 5 days! With Astro-Trimmer!
- Magic Fingers Vibrating Beds (in funky old no-tell motels). Don't miss the photo that says, "buzz buzz buzz buzz buzz"
- Poor, poor Cheryl!
- Wait a minute R39. Is that regular Lysol or some kind of special cooter cleaning Lysol?
- "I just can't stick to my diet. I'll just take some meth!"
- Back in the olden days, Lindsay Lohan would've gotten her start doing ads for toothache remedies!
- I hope the instructions have you diluting it for douchy uses.
- R39's post reminded me of the Love Quiz.
- Wear your afro poufs two different ways!
- And the web of indifference.
- R40, DaMN, just DAMN
- A hot dog did [italic]not[/italic] make her lose control.
In the late 1920s Lysol disinfectant began being marketed by maker Lysol, Incorporated and distributor Lehn & Fink, Inc. as a feminine hygiene product. They intimated that vaginal douching with a diluted Lysol solution prevented infections and vaginal odor, and thereby preserved youth and marital bliss.  This Lysol solution was also used as a birth control agent, as post-coital douching was a popular method of preventing pregnancy at that time.  The use of Lysol was later discouraged by the medical community as it tended to eliminate the bacteria normal to the healthy vagina, thus allowing more robust, health-threatening bacteria to thrive, and may have masked more serious problems that certain odors indicated in the first place.  All the same, Joseph De Lee, a prominent American obstetrician who held great sway over American obstetric practice through his writings, encouraged the use of Lysol during labor. He writes in 1938, "...[J]ust before introducing the hand, the vagina is liberally flushed with 1 per cent lysol solution squeezed from pledgets of cotton, the idea being to reduce the amount of infectious matter unavoidably carried into the puerperal wounds and up into the uterus by the manipulations." 
- Wigs! Wigs! Wigs!
- I saw this ad when I was a teenager and I thought the model (Jack Scalia, although I didn't know that then) was about the most handsome guy I'd ever seen.
Looking at it again, I don't think I was far from wrong.
- ads from the 1920s gave us some of our most memorable taglines.
"Always a Bridesmaid but never a Bride"
- also from the 1920s
- The woman in r52 clearly needs to use Lysol.
- Is it true blondes have more fun?
- Most of you could use a glug or two from a bottle of MILES' NERVINE.
- Gee, is that a microscope or are you just happy to see me?
- R50 I can't decide between the cornrows and the "Freedom Puffs."
- It seems like our great grandmothers spent all their time meth'ed up, coked up, on nerve medicine, and stinking of Lysol and Listerine.
- I love that there is special Lysol for one's cooter!
- R60 It wasn't special Lysol-- just the same stuff you use to disinfect your toilet.
- Okay elder-Dataloungers, fess up.
Which one of you invented the Lysol douche for women, back in the day?
- That Lysol ad for cooch wash cracks. me. up!!
I am dying laughing here!
Great find, fellow DLer! Made my day.
- They need Lysol. Those things are disgusting.
- Sadly, even Lysol couldn't kill what's in my cooch.
- R51, here is some scandalous information regarding your photo of Jack Scalia, the little shit, from his Wiki.
According to a July 3, 2011 report by the New York Post the IRS revoked the tax-exempt status from Scalia's "9-11-01 Lest We Forget" charitable group for failing to file a tax return in its decade of existence. That same year, Scalia's Operation American Spirit charity was suspended by California authorities because of lapses in paying taxes and fees.
On July 17, 2011 the New York Post published another report on additional discrepancies regarding Scalia's fundraising efforts, including accusations that intended benefactors from the Operation American Spirit 2007 fund-raising bicycle ride never received any compensation. In the report, a veteran of the Iraq War accused Scalia of utilizing his charities to "to build his career back up."
Scalia told the Post he "couldn't remember who received the money collected" by the fundraising effort. His lawyer, Dennis Holahan, mentioned two charities which received small amounts. As of 2012, no legal recourse has been taken against Scalia, who has maintained his innocence.
- Homoerotic Cannon Bath Towel Ads from WWII.
- OP...I wanted one of these!
- Vintage Twitter ad.
- Some of these ads are outrageous! They have to be fake.
- Yeah, that four channel shit didn't take off, did it?
I wanted some of these speakers, but I couldn't afford 'em.
So I went with Dynacos back in the day.
- I wanted those too, r71!
- Zsa Zsa says "C'est Magnifique"
- r55 God that chick has buttery blonde teeth too!
r74 Hubba, hubba..
- At one time color TV was a luxury most people could only dream about owning. It's funny how those large old TVs required the screen to be that close to the floor. I like the fruit bowl on top of the TV subconsciously reminding us that bright colorful things are fleshy and desirable.
- As American as motherhood and Marloboros!
- Before they referred to it as a vulgar cookie!
- Hmm, r78, that's interesting, I guess. What the fuck the phone has to do with anything is beyond me. I would think she would maybe think that at work or whilst cleaning her pots and pans. It's so simple and punchy and hypnotizing.."I must have Oreo Cookie (TM) for dessert.."
- R79, she is phoning her order to the grocer for delivery. "I'd like a pound of coffee, four tins of sardines, six nice tomatoes and I must have Oreo Sandwich (TM) for dessert."
- Lol, oh ok r80, got it, thanks.
- She doesn't care...
- Wow, she sure doesn't r82! Again, I am confused by these old pictures. Why does it look like she's standing in the quad of a school with a doctor spraying her? I guess that's a trenchcoat and not a labcoat? Where did the random hose come from? Why isn't that hussy burning in hell?
- Is the decline in smoking the cause of obesity epidemic?
- Do you want nice hands and teeth? Nothing beats a Prophylactic!
- tits, wig, violin, tiparillo.
it all makes sense.
- Rise Stevens smokes Camels:
- When she wants pleasure Maureen O'Hara has a camel:
- The tawdry whore at r82 is getting a Lysol spraying, and good!
- [quote]tits, wig, violin, tiparillo.
[quote]it all makes sense.
- My Grandma had one of those r76. In the summers, I would get on the floor and have lunch, and watch Days of our Lives while she would smoke a Kent and do the ironing and curse at the characters on the screen.
- This Christmas give cartons of LUCKIES!
- Your grandmother's last name ended in a vowel, didn't it, r92?
- another DL fave shilling for Chesterfields
- Can you spot the up-and-coming star? (And I don't mean Cristina Ferrare).
- Van Heusen shirts, a tad racist:
- For a better start in life, start cola earlier! The ad actually says, "Do your child a favor. Start them on a strict regimen of sodas and other sugary carbonated beverages right now."
- Ahh yes r98. It helps you gain wider acceptance with your peers. Tell that to the toothless, fat. diabetic generation of now.
- "There are some things a husband just can't mention to his wife!"
In this case, it's that she needs a squirt of Lysol.
This is for Zonite, which must have been comparable. I love this: "There's a womanly offense greater than body odor or bad breath!"
- If they were advertising Zonite® today, the headline would likely be:
"Clean your cooch, you cunt!! Jeeze Louise!"
- United Airlines ad. Note the hub-free flight route map.
- I'm Cheryl. Fly me.
- I feel so bad for the ladies in the ads with smelly cooters. 'But Bill this was our quiet evening at home.' Is her cooter so stinky, that he can't even sit on the couch and watch TV with her.
- r96 - who is it?
- Farrah, idiot!
- So let's recap what we've learned:
Smoking and soda GOOD!
Stanky cooter is BAAAAAAD.
And real men pack their junk into tight cut briefs - not these long boxer briefs we wear now.
- r105 Farrah Fawcett.
- If your husband ever finds out you're not "store-testing" for fresher coffee ... he's gonna whip your ass. Literally.
- r98 is a fake.
- [quote]he can't even sit on the couch and watch TV with her.
It's even worse; he can't even stay in the house with her!
- Back in the day, Jello was "appealing enough to turn the sinful, of any color, away from his neighbor's melon patch."
- What the world really needs is a good "reducing soap", that will just wash away the extra pounds.
- It's nice to have a girl around the house.
- Sabrina demonstrates the word's finest projection equipment
- Who knew opening ketchup was such a task?
- What does douching with DEMURE have to do with your HUSBAND?
- In NO way racist.
- Law honey chile r118!
- And what would pancakes be, R118, without syrup?
(Also, not at all racist.)
- Why would they put in the dialect? R120. 'Dis sho am good'. They should have been ashamed.
- R114's ad complements this one rather nicely.
- Sweet Mother of God
- They couldn't have gotten a good looking chick at r131? They need to take a page out of the offensive Sabrina ads.
- That's not a casserole, R132, that's a GAS-serole!
- A fantastic Flickr set
- "Make you home GAYTOP GAY" has got to become a new Datalounge catchphrase!
- Wow, R131, that has to be a joke ad!
- Every little girl needs a revolver to cuddle as she goes to bed.
- ^ Oh my!
How about a Daisy-filled Christmas the whole family can enjoy?