Rape Apologists: ‘Those Poor Boys..’ A Girl Was RAPED, What About Her?
CNN was not the only “rape apologist” out there in America. The Raw Story ran a piece called The top 5 rape apologist reactions to the Steubenville rape verdict which also listed a few others:
Writer Lee Stranahan on Breitbart.com prattled that “the town’s the real victim here“… yeah, the town got raped and publicly shamed. No, Lee takes up the mantle for how the town got battered by media and Anonymous and all sorts of other aggressive activity which somehow, in his book, is way more important than the core issue of young, arrogant, and socially entitled boys behaving like a pack of hyenas at the expense of a drunk young girl.
Author/blogger Michael Crooke’s blog, Travesty of justice in Steubenville detailed how the victim “whined” that she was “embarrassed and scared” when, according to Crooke, she damn well needs to “examine her role” in perpetrating her own rape by taking responsibility for her drinking, her sartorial choices and her attending an underage party. BLAME THE VICTIM, screams Crooke. He even ups the ante by positing that “rape doesn’t exist.” Tell that to the 19,000 raped in the military per year, or the victims raped every 6.2 minutes in America. I doubt all of them were wearing “immodest shorts and a tight shirt,” which Crooke apparently feels are just a few of the things that justify rape.
The Trolls on Twitter: Not that this should surprise us, as the democracy of social media has unearthed a subset of humanity (and I use that term loosely) who live in the netherworld of hate, vitriol, aggression and ignorance and never fail to spew venom at anyone from actress Anne Hathaway, to rape victim, writer and Hannity guest, Zerlina Maxwell, right up to the young victim of the Steubenville boys. It’s likely the only thing that differentiated her from the all the other young girls in Steubenville that night who probably also wore “immodest shorts,” drank too much liquor, and behaved irresponsibly at a party no adult should have allowed, is that she’s the one who got raped. It’s beyond repulsive that the trolls are now tweeting death threats and calling her a “whore.” America the beautiful.
The judge in the case, Judge Thomas Lipps, up there on the bench with all its gravitas and stern role of authority, took the moment, post-verdict, to advise the convicted rapists “to have discussions about how you talk to your friends; how you record things on the social media so prevalent today; and how you conduct yourself when drinking…” It seemed to many, including this writer, that the MAIN issue was left out of that lecture, like “DON’T RAPE PEOPLE.” Instead, he focused on how you use social media and how you conduct yourself while drinking. Dear God, THAT’S the take-away, Judge?? Next time, just say, “DON’T RAPE PEOPLE.”
And, of course, CNN.
And, in an added dose of “let’s disrespect the victim,” it turns out Fox News did reveal the name of the young girl despite earlier statements to the contrary (it’s standard practice, particularly when rape involve minors, and in compliance with organizations such as the National Alliance To End Sexual Violence, to keep the victim’s name private). There is a video, which you can no doubt find find easily online, but I’m not going to link it here… lines get drawn somewhere.
- Do any of them have daughters?
- Get a blog.
- Wow. I never expected this. It's like something out of the 1930s.
- Here is what the reaction would be like if Jerry Sandusky had raped girls:
"I bet she was probably wearing immodest shorts when she went down to his basement! She just looked so hot that he couldn't help himself"
"Those girls were just whores who were using him to get tickets to the Rose Bowl!"
"She chose to get into the shower with him! She didn't say no! She should blame herself for making bad decisions"
"What do you expect when you share a hotel room with a grown man?"
Heterosexual men would be defending him!
- R4, what you say is true, sadly.
- This is the third of fourth you've posted this article on here. This is also the third or fourth time you've posted comments or other various comment boards on here on this topic.
This is a gay board dedicated to men.
You are a hostile feminist with vitriol for anyone who disagrees with your sentiments.
Stop visiting this web site, and go to one of the other boards dedicated to your cause and stop harassing gay men with this story.
- R6, where is it posted that this is a board dedicated to gay men? I've been here almost since the beginning and I've never seen it as a gay man's site. Certainly there are a majority of men here but I always took it as a place for gay men and women.
- R7 Agreed-this has always been a site for gay people, not just gay men. R6 needs to unbunch his panties and learn to play nice. And since when is a discussion of current news harassment of gay men?
- R6 do gay men not have mothers, sisters, nieces, cousins, women friends...
the compassion troll
- TRIGGER WARNING! TRIGGER WARNING!
- I would say sure. Gay women are welcome.
But every time women complain about sex abuse or rape, they always portray it in this binary of gender. It can happen to anyone regardless of class, race, or even gender.
Sexual abuse or rape should be considered a terrible act regardless of the genders involved. And it doesn't have to do with "rape culture," where it is only about women's minority status and a culture that is against them.
I'm annoyed. Sorry lesbians, I ignored you.
When everyone is done being sympathetic to two convicted rapists whose own bad decisions – not those of the victim, or those made within the criminal justice system – put three promising young lives on very different paths than the ones on which they started that terrible night, maybe then they can give some thought to the victim.
- You do know, R6, you don't have to open the threads that annoy you, right?
- Rape is always vicious, violent and disgusting regardless of the victim's gender.
It is women who are the victims of rape by a huge statistical percentage. In a reality-based approach and/or discussion it must be dealt with on those terms. Let's not get it twisted and wallow in false equivalence.
- Amen! R6
- She really does sound like a stupid slut who got exactly what she was asking for, then screamed "rape" when she got caught .
- R16 gargles with the contents of Rush Limabaugh's warm colostomy bag.
- Most gay men support these two thug racists!!!
- r16, SO SO wishes he was a woman who was brutally gang raped by hot masculine straight cock!!!
- I think what we can all take away from this is that Candy Crowley is as obnoxious as she is unattractive. That Poppy woman is no beauty either!
- Are you adopting your "bi femme" persona again, Stormfront Troll?
- Go wash your dirty prolapsed asshole boy!!!