- She had one good song,
but she's been fading for years.
Now she can be dismissed entirely.
- Before hitting it big, didn't she have a lot of mental issues?
- Maybe she prayed away her homosexuality.
- Why aren't these loons afraid of going on stage and being shot?
- Frankly I'm shocked ..........not really.
I couldn't name a single song of hers, so this won't impact my music library at all.
Hopefully there's a lot of hateful people somewhere that will be inspired to buy her music now.
- Bitch stole my line.
See ya in court, doll.
- I have never heard of her. I sincerely thought this was going to be a thread about Michelle Obama being shocked because she got some sort of revelation about how god felt about us.
- When I saw it in the news this morning, my first thought was "Wow, she is done. She just ended her career." Turns out Joe My God said the same thing.
- She needs a few thousand volts of electro-shocked therapy, stat.
- Maybe she can bend over, stuff herself into her own cunt, and be reborn into something more closely approaching a human being.
- No idea who she is, but in a few years she'll change her tune. Heck at that point she'll probably get a GLAAD Award.
- Far as I know, Shocked was one of those bisexual performers who always dated men. But this seems bizarre. Was she joking?
- She is an amazing songwriter, a poet. One of my favorite folk singers.
This ruined my day.
- Her wiki page says she attends West Angeles Church of God. In 2005, she released a trio of albums, and one was called "Don't Ask, Don't Tell." And she definitely look dykey, so it does looks she found God and became an ex-gay.
- This is not the first time she said something homophobic, so I'm not surprised. I am, however, shocked at her bluntness.
I have long stopped listening to her music. Never will I buy anything she makes.
- We discussed this last year. Here's the thread.
Back in the 90s she seemed like a cool alt-country chick, sort of in the kd lang vein. Too bad what she's become. Glad the only CD of hers I ever bought was used so no money went to her homophobic pockets.
- Are we sure this isn't somehow being taken out of context? That she wasn't speaking sarcastically?
- She ran into trouble in the 90s when she appeared in black face on an album cover, which the company withdrew and redid prior to release.
I thought it was just a mis-step, but apparently not.
And oddly, the album "Arkansas Traveller" was actually really good.
The whole thing is very odd, very sad.
- yes, r18.
- I feel bad for her... Apparently she suffers from schizophrenia. She adopted the Shocked monicker in reference to her electroshock treatments in the 1980s.
- I don't feel bad for her.
- Who is she???
- Stupid is as stupid does........
- Don't know who she is, but this outburst is well, very weird- she seems more mentally ill than anything else.
- Michelle WHO?
I'm sorry dear, I have no idea who this person is.
- For those not familiar with her, there is more background on the Wonkette item.
[quote]Sorry, fellow 1980s protesters against “nuclear war” and “nuclear power” and “whatever else we were protesting about in the 1980s oh yeah we remember now it was Iran-Contra.” You are now going to have to throw away your cassette tape of “Short Sharp Shocked,” which was the soundtrack to all those protests, because Michelle Shocked, who used to come to those protests and play the git-tar, has gone off the fucking rails talking about fags and hating fags and the proper non-care and non-feeding of fags, and how gay marriage will destroy the world. Can somebody please come up with a “When I Grow Up I Want to Be an Old Woman” pun, for us to put here? Great, thanks!
[quote]So is this how Victoria Jackson’s fans felt when she started getting all nutty-Christ-y-God-Hates-Fagsy? Oh right, Victoria Jackson didn’t have any fans.
Shocked has also been big in Occupy drum circles lately, as seen above, and was once married to our friend Bart Bull, who says she is crazy but of course all ex-husbands say that but now we guess we believe him.
- [quote]I have never heard of her. I sincerely thought this was going to be a thread about Michelle Obama being shocked because she got some sort of revelation about how god felt about us.
I thought the same thing when I saw the thread title because I hadn't heard of Michelle Shocked either.
- From OP's link:
[quote]She was hospitalized not long ago after being diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia. She is extremely mentally ill and her deep seated psychosis is most likely what is behind her statements. She is currently on a self-destructive path that will surely not end well for her.
Oh, well, I'm sure there will be an apology a few months from now.
- What a way to flush your legacy down the drain.
- One needs to have a legacy first.
- [quote]For those not familiar with her, there is more background on the Wonkette item.
And for those not missing some brain cells, her "On the Greener Side" lost to Sinead O'Connor's "Nothing Compares to You" at the 1990 VMAs. "Arkansas Traveler" was a brilliant piece of folk/rock. You may not know who she was, but she has a legacy.
- She'll be appearing next at the IHOP in Solvang, opening for Gallagher.
- Is she Asian?
- She was discovered at a folk festival in Texas. Se wasn't a scheduled performer; a record executive heard her performing and taped it on his Walkman. That recording was released as The Texas Campfire Tapes, and it appeared on the indie charts before Michelle Shocked even knew that she had been recorded.
As a lyricist, I place her up there with Woody Guthrie. She has that sense of play with language and knack for metaphors. The Texas Campfire Tapes in particular is ingenious; those songs have the wisdom and simplicity of classic folk songs. Her talent was preternatural.
Also, like Woodie, she is a poet of the downtrodden, dispossessed, the minority. I'm linking the lyrics of "Streetcorner Ambassador" from Captain Swing; it's a good example of her wit and style.
That's why her comments worry me more than they anger me. She is a formidable artist and moral voice IMO. Something is wrong,..she is struggling, sick or desperate, I would guess. But maybe I'm fooling myself.
- I can quite honestly say that I have NEVER heard of this woman. I am 46 years old and have kept up on most types of music over the years/decades, but I somehow missed out on this mental case.
- And here is "The Secret Admirer."
- I saw her in concert in the 80s as an opening act for Billy Bragg (he was the one I wanted to see)
I think she is mentally ill - and lots of mentally ill people like to attach themselves to extreme politics
- I remember the surprise back in the late '80's when she got a boyfriend - she gave these interviews talking about how happy they were, living on a houseboat. It didn't ring true. I think she's in deep denial of who she is.
- Truly a shame, serious mental illness and cult-like fundamentalist religion have probably ended her career.
- This thread is up to 40 posts and no one has mentioned "Anchorage" yet? It's her most famous song.
Came out around the time of Tracy Chapman, didn't she? On a wave of folk song women hitting the charts.
- The fact that she chose to declare "God hates fags" DURING A CONCERT IN SAN FRANCISCO is in itself proof of her severe mental illness.
- The Bay Area Reporter has a detailed story. It sounds like a severe mental breakdown, starting with her announcing there was an "invisible man" on stage with her and ending with her leaving the stage sobbing.
- her husband looks satanic.
- Wow...seeing the subject of the thread was a reoovered memory. I used to love her and then completely forgot about her. I associate her with Billy Bragg. Too bad. This is sad.
- Why on earth would people mistake her for a lesbian?
- the husband looks kind of gay, too
- Who the hell is Michelle Shocked? never heard of her...so why would the things she say even matter...
- Maybe she reads DL.
- This is v. disappointing - I'm sorry, but I love her early stuff.
Texas Campfire Tapes
Short, Sharp Shocked
- One of those artists who I've always known by name and yet couldn't name one song they performed.
- I loved her early stuff too, but bitch is off of my iTunes - I deleted everything.
She's a heinous fundie twat. And worse yet, she's a closet case.
The Michfest womyn will build a bonfire burning this bitch's CD's.
- I'm surprised people were not clued in on what kind of fundie wacko she's been for years. She publicly declared herself being anti-abortion, railed at the audience at some gay Christian folk festival a couple of years ago telling them she was the world's biggest homophobe, etc. This was simply a logical conclusion of the road she's been on for a while.
- She was as good as Sinead, Tracy Chapman, etc. and her music was entertaining.
But I remember a few years ago hearing about her singing at a black gospel church in LA and fingered that it wasn't going to end well.
- I remember the 'On The Greenr Side song but, prior to that I remember seeing this cunt's records in the late 80s and immediately thinking 'dyke.' Glad I never bought any of her music. I hope she gets gang raped by a pack of wolves.
- People on this thread who keep saying "i've never heard of her."
No one is saying she's the most famous woman in the world. She's a longtime indie musician with a loyal following along the lines of Tracy Chapman. There. Now you know who she is.
- [quote]I think she is mentally ill - and lots of mentally ill people like to attach themselves to extreme politics
You take that back or i'll sue!
- "Anchorage" was a great song when it came out. And we all thought we had an ally in Michelle Shocked (if only because aren't like most of the women who move to Alaska truck drivers?!)
Sorry to hear of her breakdown.
BUT Hey, 'chelle, you know its kinda funny...Texas always seemed so big...
But what would make you think I hate fags, you presumptuous loon?
- So...to sum up:
she claimed to be bi
but instead she is just bipolar?
- When I Grow Up.
Really great song.
Shame she's a c--t.
- [quote] The Michfest womyn will build a bonfire burning this bitch's CD's.
Don't bet on it. She didn't say "God hates lezzies."
- The vag, vag, vag....
Didn't keep her satisfied....
It's a shame she went straight, and leaned into the hate.
ON THE MEANER SIDE
- Paranoid schizophrenic is so much worse than just being bipolar R63.
- Maybe she has multiple personalities....
- It's wrong... [italic]Shocked-ly[/italic] wrong!
- [quote]I hope she gets gang raped by a pack of wolves.
That's a pretty fucked up thing to say. You need help as much as Michelle Shocked.
- Don't confuse me with this crazy white bitch!
- R70...ummmm, you couldn't tell that was just a jab at her? you really think a "pack of wolves" is going to rape her? Or are you some frau who thinks that saying "drop dead!" actually kills people??
Drop dead! Prove yourself wrong!
- What was that one good song, R1?
(I heard of her name but have no awareness for her music. Given this report, that's actually good.)
- I hope this nasty cunt dies a lonely miserable death locked away in a mental institution.
- Her web page links to about 15 upcoming dates. I counted 5 cancellations so far, although her LA gig Saturday doesn't appear to be one of them.
- Fuck her. She is over. Only the acoustic first record was worth a listen. Let her burn in her hell. Cunt.
- It was a heinous thing to say, R72, no matter how you spin it.
I have nothing to prove to you, sicko.
- we interrupt this angry thread for something a little more important:
David Bowie as a kitten.
- I'm hearing from SF friends there is no doubt whatsoever that she was, in fact, a lesbian.
There's some ex-gay fuckery going on here. That, and the shock therapy musta burned some brain cells.
- Earlier in the day, a note under 'Tour History' on her tour date page said: "Humans are the only species who shit where they eat", sort of a keen observation for a mentally ill person, I thought.
Now 8 confirmed tour dates cancelled per the link.
- I liked one song of hers.
If this was a normal thread the normal thing to do would be to find it on yt and post a link. But in this case it would be in very bad taste, obviously.
My most immediate reaction to this is pity, for some reason.
- Hilarious @ R79.
- Direct your hate toward the religious oppression that induced her shame/guilt/extreme self-loathing mental illness. Without the religious abuse, her mental illness would never have manifested this way.
- The only song of hers I am familiar with is "Anchored down in Anchorage" and that really isn't so great,now is it?
Go away, Shelly, just go away. They overplayed your hit and your 15 minutes is ov-ah.
- Drive by the plaza where the gays boys pose
Stand in their windows wearin' no clothes
I heard the screams of the dying dark
The sweet green icing of MacArthur Park
Must See Michelle TV
- It sounds like she went completely bonkers right there on stage. A full breakdown.
- What a psycho. She does write pretty damn good folk songs though. Pity.
- [quote] Direct your hate toward the religious oppression that induced her shame/guilt/extreme self-loathing mental illness. Without the religious abuse, her mental illness would never have manifested this way.
Quoted for TRUTH.
- Why does she get a pass? Because she made shitty alt music? Anyone else would be excoriated for this shit but for her it's ok because she was led to it by the religion that brainwashed her. Bullshit. Say the same about any fundie then.
- Never heard of her.
She can't be a big name.
- Can't believe there are people in their 40s on this thread who've never heard of Michelle Shocked.
- God doesn't hate fags as much as Dataloungers hate women.
- She's a nobody, R92. She's not Dolly Parton or Reba McIntyre.
- Well, I'm 47 and have never heard her name before this.
- r70 = fat frau who has to put her tampons in with a rocket launcher
- God hates fags? Well, who doesn't?
- r96 = small dick
- No less than JANIS IAN has spoken! Her comments:
Well, that's too bad. As a performer with 45 years of shows behind me, I've had walk-outs when I sang about interracial couples, and when I sang about AIDS, and walkouts more recently when I sang about gay marriage. I am the first to argue that I have a right to sing and speak about those things on stage, just as the audience has the right to walk out, object to the management, and ask for their money back if they feel deceived.
Our country is in large part founded on the concept of free speech - the right to speak your mind politically and socially. But there is a huge difference between "Free speech" and "Hate speech." It is sad when a talented person chooses to use that talent in the service of their own misplaced rage, and their disappointment in their own life. I often wonder if people like this die and meet God, who will smack them upside the head and say "Did I really LOOK like I needed your help?!"
And isn't it odd to see someone who was so woman-identified turn a 360 degree like this? Then again, "Hell hath no fury..."
- ".ummmm, you couldn't tell that was just a jab at her? you really think a "pack of wolves" is going to rape her? Or are you some frau who thinks that saying "drop dead!" actually kills people??"
Meh ... the wishing rape on women thing isn't just a "jab". That is part of what makes rape culture. I get it, it's thoughtless & doesn't really mean anything. Much like calling a gay man a fag.
- " Then again, "Hell hath no fury..."
Like a man.
- Dear Jesus, she's managed to make me look sane, calm and rational!
- I'm 57 and I know who she is...and even been to her concerts.
But then I like the alt - folk thing.
- Lordy, she's ugly. I don't think God would hate fags as much as he'd hate ugly people, and boy is she UGLY.
- A friend of mine saw her perform when we were in college (1991.) It was at Smith College. During the set, Shocked said she didn't mean to upset anybody but she was dating a guy. They booed her but Shocked was good-natured about it.
- Wasn't it shocked who said this category should have been called Best lesbian Vocalist in a year at some music awards show when she, Tracy Chapman, The Indigo Girls and kd lang were all nominated?
- I love washed up/never was 80s singers who have the ability to speak for God
- She canceled the rest of her tour.
I think, more accurately, it was cancelled for her.
- Someone updated her Wikipedia page to say she's a bigot and closet case.
This is rich.
- And wikipedia already changed it back.
- There's a mention of the incident on the Wiki page.
- Someone up thread said they've known of her for years but couldn't name a single song, and that sums me up too. I'm sure I've heard her music and I know I had friends who liked her (all lesbians and/or alt chicks), but she's a pretty obscure act when you consider music as a whole.
If you're white, crunchy, like alternative music and/or folk, AND in your 40s, you might have heard of her. But she never had a big hit (even within her genre of alt-folk) or even much of a cult following like Tori Amos or the Indigo Girls.
- The ony song of hers I ever remember hearing in the mainstream was "On the Greener Side" and the video which had the hot men in green speedos as an answer to the Robert Palmer videos.
- R101...oh for god's sake, shut up frau!!!
- SHE'S A DIRTY CUNT!!!!!!!!
HOPE SHE DIES IN A GREASE FIRE!!!!!!!!!!!!
- r98 = takes small steps otherwise her insides will fall out.
WHOOPS! MY uterus fell out!
- r101 needs to go back to her Justin Bieber board nd finger her fish guts over there
- If I looked like her, I'd be angry too.
- I'm shocked by her homophobia.
But my new cd!
- [quote]And isn't it odd to see someone who was so woman-identified turn a 360 degree like this?
- [quote]But she never had a big hit (even within her genre of alt-folk)
She was nominated for a VMA (back when MTV still "mattered" -- relatively) alongside Sinead O'Connor, Madonna, Alannah Myles and Paula Abdul, so, yes she had a big hit.
- If you don't know who she is, watch the link at R86. It's a video of one of her best songs. Plus it's rich in symbolism and clues of things to come.
- Fuck off, Tanita! My new album drops soon!
- She stole my act!!!
Sophie B. "Lesbian" Hawkins!!
- What kind of last name is Shocked? I've never heard of her but I really don't listen to music anymore.
- [quote]What kind of last name is Shocked?
It's a stage name, obviously. It refers to her early experience with electroshock therapy.
[quote]I've never heard of her but I really don't listen to music anymore.
Your contributions to this thread have been invaluable. Thank you. Please feel free to comment about what else you don't know on threads that you don't know anything about. That's so much fun for the rest of us.
- Her real name is Karen Michelle Johnson. It's been said that she changed it to "Shocked" because of ECT treatments she received for her schizophrenia.
- I hate her.
- I have actual gossip/real dish about her and her family but will come back to post it later. Her mother was my Sunday School teacher and also my piano teacher.
- Don't keep us waiting too long, R130.
- Gay dad?
Repressed lesbian mom?
- [quote]Drive by the plaza where the gays boys pose/Stand in their windows wearin' no clothes
What does this even mean? Does this happen at some place in LA called the plaza? Gay boys pose there in their windows in no clothes? Was the Plaza a strip club? But surely they couldn't pose in the window?!
- Literal Larry alert @ r133
- Well then what the fuck does it mean, r134?
Is she imagining a place called the plaza?
Are the gay boys there METAPHORICALLY posing in their windows with no clothes? wtf?
- R135, think of a plaza as a public space. The gay boys wearin' no clothes are on sstage acting as exhibitionists. I think she's trying to set a decadent other world feeling.
- But you don't really know, do you R136?
- Still doesn't make a lot of sense to me, r136.
[quote] I think she's trying to set a decadent other world feeling.
Perhaps. And normally I'd just give it a 'poetic license' pass, but then when someone follows such a line with a "God Hates Fags" years later, one does wonder wtf she was talking about. And many of the other sites she mentions in the song are real places, so it's fair to wonder what she's talking about.
She must be referring to SOMETHING. As metaphor it's a head-scratcher. (And either way, it's oddly stigmatizing and overly-sexualizing of gay men).
- Could the Plaza have been a dive motel in a gay area of LA where there was cruising, up to and including posing in windows late at night?
- [quote]She must be referring to SOMETHING. As metaphor it's a head-scratcher. (And either way, it's oddly stigmatizing and overly-sexualizing of gay men).
You're giving her far too much credit as a writer.
- Nobody has said the unspoken. She has been going to an all BLACK CHURCH for 15 years. She probably started going because she was very liberal.
- R141 = racist
- She probably just said it for attention since nobody has given her second thought in over 2 decades. Some people will do anything to get some media attention.
- Yes, god knows that outside of the black church there is no homophobia.
- R141, What do you mean by "the unspoken"? What the hell difference does it make what church she attends?
- Yeah Michelle. Everyone on DL speaks their mind...you should too. If people don't like it....Fuck EM
- R130 here. First you have to understand Michelle grew up dirt, dirt poor in the LDS church. Her mom was devout LDS, super strict, and divorced Michelle's dad then went on to marry another uber strict LDS guy and had all of Michelle's brothers and sisters - about eight or nine of them I believe.
Michelle lived sometimes with her mother and sometimes with her dad, who was not LDS but some kind of southern blues musician dude - whom I never saw or met. She was ten years older than me growing up and the eldest of all her half-siblings who lived up the road from me. Not just a road but a red-dirt, clay road out in the boonies of east TX. Piney woods, moonshine, southern Baptists and Mormons, lots of backwoods atmosphere and not a lot of education. Lots of ignorant people around there back then, still lots of them now.
They all lived in an old LDS church that had been built in the late 1800's and then abandoned in the 1950's when a new LDS church was built "in town". It was a huge, cavernous building and the kids rooms were all small little meeting or classrooms, converted. The living room had a 40' ceiling. The kitchen was the size of a bathroom. It was freezing in there and smelled. My most vivid memory of their house was they had a gigantic, creaking old rectangular shaped trampoline in the middle of the living room. It was awesome.
Her mother was close to my mother and taught me in Sunday School. She was a very sweet and also very smart woman but super religious. All the kids turned out pretty smart but were all really really into church. Michelle was the one you just didn't talk about or mention. Sometimes she would be around, other times you wouldn't hear about her for years.
I remember her younger sister being committed for a while because she had baked pies for the family that contained rat poison. Only the sister and one of the brothers got very ill. But I always wondered WHAT THE FUCK is up with this family?!
AFAIK her family in TX really has nothing to do with her, but I do know they all tried to reconcile several years ago. I guess it didn't take. I am friends with all her siblings on FB and she isn't on any of their pages, EVER. She is not spoken of and barely acknowledged by my hometown, even. That has got to fuck with you to know you acheived a LOT coming from our little hayseed town and don't even get any recognition for it. But we do come from a town of cunts. And a church of cunts to say the least.
I always admired her and last saw her at a Farm Aid concert in the mid 90's. Met with her backstage and she asked how my mother was, how I'd been, etc. She was very cool. But that was the last I ever saw her. What a primadonna nutjob, now. Too bad.
- Maria McKee (remember her?) posted on her facebook page about this. She's also a "woman of faith" but fully supports gay people, same sex rights and marriage. She believes Michelle is part of some weird doomsday, fundy cult that implores its followers to take a head-on role in spiritual warfare. She's always been fragile and cults like that prey on people like Michelle.
That doesn't excuse her rant. But it might explain it.
- It's PC to say you're for gay marriage. Why do you think most do it? The backlash is too great not to support it. The ones that hold onto their beliefs have balls. I may not agree with her but I'm shocked she had the nerve to speak up.
- It may not be PC but to use hateful language can incite violence.
If she would have said, "Due to my religious beliefs, I cannot support gay marriage," then it would be fine with me. It's the tone I dislike.
- R150, I don't believe you woud be fine with it no matter how she said it. I wouldn't blame you either. But don't buy it just being about the wording.
- Thanks, r147. Great dish on MS family life.
- [quote]The ones that hold onto their beliefs have balls.
The same type of "balls" it takes to say that women belong in the home or blacks belong at the back of the bus. There may be a lot of "backlash" when a bigot spouts such beliefs, but this does not make their stance "courageous," dear.
But you are right in one regard. Bigoted tools SHOULD speak up so we know who they are.
- What do Michelle Shocked and Fred Phelps have in common? Apart from the rabid homophobia that is... Yes, they're both Democrats! Gasp, I know.
- "Blacks" should never have been at the back of any fucking bus. Michelle would never say such shit. She is speaking about her religious beliefs. Her church supports her. I'm sure that's all that matters to her.
- It's easy to have balls when you have no real career to speak of. Very ballsy. I can't even feel schadenfreude because it's like kicking a three-legged dog.
- Tasmin Archer and Dionne Farris will speak about this national tragedy on CNN tonight.
Then Candy Crowley will eat them.
- We still haven't heard about how Stacey Q feels about sequestration.
- If God hated fags why did he make his only son one?
- Guys, there is no love lost between me and any fundie a- hole, or anyone who tries to defend those that attack our community by blaming their actions on the church they make the choice to attend. (they are adults after all, and it is a conscious choice they are making)
But she honestly seems fucked in the head, like actually mentally ill. Especially if she was talking about an invisible man being on stage with her when she made the comments. I actually pity her and I think she deserves that more than anger.
I do think she is a repressed lesbian, and I do think she made the choice to go to fundie anti- gay churches which enforced her internalized homophobia.
But I also think she is genuinely mentally ill.
This entire thing just makes me sad.
- r147, did any of her siblings (the ones you're FB friends with) escape the backwoods mentality of their childhood -- are they gay friendly, etc.?
- r158 you've forgotten. It was Stacey Q's virulent and vocal antisemitism during the taping of a Facts of Life episode that ended her career.
- My name is Luka.
I live on the second floor.
- But what'd she say about lesbians?
- R161 - they were then and still are well-liked. Half of them stayed in our little town and the others moved to LDS communities out west - Utah I believe. Her mother and stepdad, the siblings father, divorced over a decade ago and both remarried. Her stepfather actually left the Mormon church and is sort of a hippie-type now, though he must be pushing 70.
All her siblings were honor-roll students, most went on to college but live very quiet average lives and they all have a ton of kids.
Clearly the LDS church will make your
small town upbringing a living hell, as it did mine and probably Michelle's (we would have had the same leadership people then). You go with that and become ONE OF THEM or you get the fuck out of there.
After getting successful she should have gotten some serious therapy, not run off to even more nutty religious shit.
- Hey Shell you know it's kinda funny
You're a hateful piece of shit.....
- [quote]But she honestly seems fucked in the head, like actually mentally ill.
Have you not been reading the thread? It's been stated multiple times that she is confirmed paranoid schizophrenic.
[quote]I do think she is a repressed lesbian
Again, have you read the thread? It's been stated multiple times that she once was part of the lesbian community.
- It seems that someone in her camp is trying to so some damage control by re-tweeting positive tweets:
- Her PR person left her two weeks ago. My guess is that what we are witnessing is a mental breakdown. She's supposed to be interviewed for some radio show on Thursday about the controversy and I suspect it will be a complete train wreck.
- It's made international news. AP ran a story.
- I really did like her first album. It had some great songs. And I am saddened to learn this.
- WOW, her pussy stinks. I can smell her soul rotting! Or is that a yeast infection?
- Yeah, R168, it seems they're trying to spin what she said as "ironic."
- "When they stop Prop 8 and force priests at gunpoint to marry gays, it will be the downfall of civilization, and Jesus will come back," and "You can go on Twitter and say, 'Michelle Shocked says God hates fags.'"
She said this that night too.
- "The Telluride Bluegrass Festival in Telluride, Colorado, canceled Shocked's scheduled appearance there - the final date left on her US tour after venues in several other states uninvited her to perform."
The only thing ironic about this cunt is that she's a closeted lesbian who happens to be an out homophobe.
The best outcome would be her offing herself.
- She needs to shut the eff up. Offensive, craxy talk. What a mess.
- I'm not aware of too many things
But I think Michelle is a big nasty cunt
- She's mentally ill. She was not being ironic when she said that stuff about Prop 8.
- It's entirely possible that every homophobic bigot is really mentally ill. Yet no one gives a pass to them .
If she was having a breakdown then it's a very long one from 2011 when she said this at a music festival:
"Folk singer Michelle Shocked, who has in recent years publicly rejected her lesbian fan base, became incensed when asked about her “position on homosexuality” by an audience member. “Who drafted me as a gay icon? You are looking at the world’s greatest homophobe. Ask God what He thinks,” she said, before shutting off her microphone to complain, “There is always someone who wants to catch me.”
Thats in 2011 --2 years ago.
- Hopefully this link will work better.
- I think certain links aren't working, R180/R181.
Wikipedia is one.
Might be some links where that source has come back and given Webmaster some trouble? Not sure.
- R180 I clearly remember her saying that as well in 2011. There was a big thread about it on here as well at the time.
- [quote]The best outcome would be her offing herself.
Seriously? I think the best outcome would be a change of heart, a sincere apology, extensive therapy and, ultimately, a coming out, followed by activism in support of equality.
Wishing her death isn't helping anyone.
- these comments make me giggle.
- I live in Tennessee and no one here even thinks all that very highly of what Michelle Shocked said.
- R184, you make too much sense. What are you doing here?
- R167 I am aware that her mental illness has been established multiple times, yet even after it had been established people still posted multiple times how she should horrifically die for her words.
So I reiterated it again, because excuse me if I believe a mentally ill person deserves help and treatment rather than death.
And when I spoke about her sexuality, I was saying I believed her to be a repressed gay person (rather than bisexual, because of the boyfriend she was talking about)
- Michelle Shocked? How 1988
- The husband (are they married or "living in sin"?) looks gay to me. Probably one of those ex-gay prayer group relationships, which would explain so much about her behavior.
- Now she's denying it all and saying it was just a big misunderstanding.
- all about the $$$$$$ and those canceled gigs and damage control.
she did something similar a couple years ago, and we talked about it then.
- I don't believe her apology for one moment.
- That "apology" never says anything about her actual views on gay rights. She says her "view of homosexuality has "not changed not one iota", but she never explains what her "view" is, now or before the controversy.
She doesn't take the opportunity to clarify that she wholeheartedly supports gay marriage or that she is now, or ever was, opposed to Prop 8. It's just a lot of obfuscation, platitudes and circular logic.
If she really was horrified that her words were misconstrued, she would take this opportunity to definitively state what her actual views are. If she really supported equality and justice for gay people, she would unequivocally state such, in plain language, such as saying "I fully support the rights gay people have to marry the partner of their choice" or "I believe gay people are just the same as straight people, and should be treated equally under the law" or "no one should ever use religion to justify hate".
Instead we get bullshit about her mimicking "real" homophobes and how bigots who hide behind the bible should be "met with mercy, not hate". Frankly, she seems more concerned with gingerly treating backwards, ignorant church-goers with "mercy" than she does about equal rights for gay people.
Fuck off, you self-loathing closet case, and take your bullshit "apology" with you.
- well-said, r195.
- Just go away you old hag. You're tired. No one's looking for you boo.
- She wants to have it both ways. Win back all her fans without having to apologize and walk back anything she said that night. I think most people have figured out she believes everything she said.
- A Christian lesbian reporter who interviewed her a couple of years ago talks about her bizarre experience hanging out with Michelle Shocked for a couple of days during a music festival. It also sheds a lot of light on the hypocrisy of today's "apology":
- I approached her sitting in the audience of a lawn concert just before fellow folkie David Wilcox started his set. We were at Shakori Hills, one of North Carolina’s pristine natural parks set within a beautiful forest. I noted that I’d found earlier interviews quoting her on the “sin” of homosexuality –- and that I’d found them jarring and upsetting.
Without pausing, she shot back, “Good. They should be upsetting.”
I stared at her in confusion. “Um, what?”
Again, no pause: “The truth is upsetting.”
We went back and forth on her cryptic statement about truth for a few minutes, and then I managed to ask her about gay marriage. She may have told a San Francisco crowd that gay marriage was a harbinger of Armageddon this week, but at that time she seemed okay with it. Or, looking back, maybe she was dancing around the issue.
She asked me, “Have you ever been in love?”
“Uh…” I was confused. Hadn’t we just met? I’m not big on sharing personal things with strangers.
“I’m in love right now, and it is such a wonderful thing. He makes me so happy! I would never want to deny any gay person the right to experience what I’m experiencing.”
Oh god, she was gushing. This felt so invasive.
I couldn’t get a word or question in edgewise. I’d lost control of the interview –- it was the first time I ever became visibly upset with an interview subject. That’s when she decided to invade my personal space.
She hugged me. Hard. And I flinched pretty hard in response because I’m every bit as averse to hugging strangers as I am to personal sharing.
Then she said she loved me -– it was something to do with the love of Jesus, you see. Did I mention that we’d just met?
Then she said something I’ll never forget: “Am I not the most sincere person you’ve ever met in your entire life?”
She looked me straight in the eye to impress me with her honesty. Just before it turned into a staring contest, she released her death grip on me and said, “David’s a friend, and I want to see his show. Can we continue this conversation tomorrow?”
I was following her from a tiny stage where she was leading a seminar over to the main amphitheater where she would be participating in the next performance.
She was still talking about how truthful and sincere she is, and I followed silently. I was getting used to silence around her, and frankly it was better than being asked pointed, invasive questions. But that too got tiresome, so I finally interrupted, “I think you should stop profiting off the LGBT community. Write an open letter. Have your music removed from gay music stores. I first saw your music at a gay music store when I was in high school, and they’re still selling it.”
I was calm, collected and sort of businesslike when I said it, so I really wasn’t prepared for what happened next. At all. Not even after yesterday. By now, we were halfway to the stage, standing in the children’s play area where small kids and parents milled around activity booths.
She looked at me with resignation, sighed, and said, “All right, then, I guess this means we’re going to be enemies.”
I blinked a couple times and said something like, “But I don’t feel like you’re my enemy, Michelle.”
You know, because I’m not used to interview subjects -– or anyone, actually -– declaring that we’re mortal enemies. I didn’t have a script for that!
So then she doubled down and compulsively uttered, “No, you’re my enemy, you’re my enemy, you’re my enemy…”
I swear to god, she said this approximately 10 times as I struggled to get a word in at all. Even after her bizarre behavior the day before, I hadn’t seen this one coming.
Then we arrived at the amphitheater. She climbed up onto the stage, and I remained standing on the ground, looking up at her. I’m not sure why, but this visual image feels like an important piece of what came next –- maybe because she was sitting up high on the stage and dominant above me, and I was standing below on the ground.
Again with businesslike composure, I asked, “So, what would you say about writing an open letter like I mentioned?”
She totally ignored this. Instead, she offered, “I just want you to know that I love you because Jesus loves you. I love you because I am you. I know you.”
By now, super-bright red flags about boundaries were beaming at me, and I finally had to be stern. “Actually, no, you don’t know me at all. We just met.”
Eyes boring into me, she insisted, “I know everything I need to know about you. I used to be angry and trapped in sin exactly like you.”
I stood there in shock when her defensive posture shifted, and then she brushed me off. “Hey, can you hold on a second? I need to talk to the sound guys.” Such sincerity.
I stared at her in disbelief for a few seconds, and then I turned around and walked away. I didn’t bother approaching her again.
- And it's kind of hard to believe the "apology", when someone actually bothered to post the audio of the offensive part of her concert:
- "I love me some Jesus!"
- That "interviewer" is gag-inducing. She should go back to ONTD.
- According to the audio, here's what she said:
[quote]But, um, I was in a prayer meeting yesterday and you gotta appreciate how scared, how scared, folks on that side of the equation are. I mean, from their vantage point, and I really shouldn't say ‘their,' ‘cause it's mine, too, we are nearly at the end of time and from our vantage point, we're gonna be, uh, I think maybe Chinese water torture is gonna be the means, the method, once Prop 8 gets instated and once preachers are held at gunpoint and forced to marry the homosexuals, I'm pretty sure that that will be the signal for Jesus to come on back. You said you wanted reality. If someone would be so gracious as to tweet out that Michelle Shocked just said from stage, ‘God hates faggots.' Would you do it now?
That's a big mess to unpack, but all I needed to hear was the phrase "from their vantage point, and I really shouldn't say ‘their,' ‘cause it's mine, too," and it all became too clear what she really believes, despite the shitass apology.
- Well, hope she's raped, dismembered and murdered asap. Not that any human would want to touch that creature. Maybe we can get some wild dogs to do it?
- I'm not shocked.
Oh, wait, yes I am.
- Can anyone translate the spanish she broke into at one point in her homophobic speech @ R201? At first I thought she might be spontaneously speaking in tongues (that would have been hilarious)!
BTW, thanks for posting that R201, that was very illuminating. Having now heard for myself her "banter" with the audience I know that her "apology" statement is a pack of lies. I wonder how that sits with her KKKristian principles?
From her statement: "And my statement equating repeal of Prop 8 with the coming of the End Times was neither literal nor ironic: it was a description of how some folks – not me – feel about gay marriage."
No, liar, you said it was how YOU feel.
- The Spanish translates to "There is craziness in my cunt!"
- anyone know what the Spanish part was about?
- Are there any online videos of this meltdown/concert? I find it hard to believe no one filmed it and posted it. Practically everyone's got a video camera on their cell phone these days, and this shitshow was dramatic, to say the least.
- Sounds like she's bipolar and refusing to take her meds because she feels closer to Jeebus without them.
Fuck her. Her music sucks, anyway. And I'm
From Anchorage, where you still hear that one song on the radio once a week or so.
- I don't know about video, R210, but here's audio of the meltdown:
- the audio is damning and makes her recent attempts at spin a bald-faced lie.
- The audio must be fake because she said she never said those things.
- Who gives a fuck what this cunt-faced bitch and has-bian has to say about anything?
- What the fuuuuuuuuuuuuck?
Just listened to the audio, what a stupid bitch.
- If you don't listen to the end, in the last minute before they booted her ass she says very clearly, "Now...they're probably going to tell me I didn't give you people your money's worth tonight...so if you would...put a dollar in the hat...let's pass the hat...for the folksinger...just put a dollar in the hat as it's passed."
- Yeah, I thought that was insane, too, R218 (on top of all the rest). I think she is genuinely nuts. I think she has been around crazies her whole life of one kind or another.
- R209 What she said in Spanish was the bible quote : John 3:16 - "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten son, that whosoever believeth in Him shall not perish, but have everlasting life."
- ok, thanks R220
- I never knew her to have a girlfriend. Met one of her boyfriends back in the late 90's. Another friend of mine was in her band so I got in free to couple of her shows.
- Wow the play that this has-been's story is getting is amazing. I had not thought of her in more than two decades since the Anchorage song was big in SF and she toured with Billy Bragg. She's this year's Anita Bryant I guess. Branson awaits her.
- Michelle, The man behind the curtain who preaches as god really isn't the message you want to listen to.
- No joke.
- If you listen to it, there is no way she can walk it back.
She is batshit crazy. And homophobic.
- The people in the audience laughed.
- Thank you r199, 200.
People, please get the word out on this fraud. She's a self-righteous pompous looney liar. Leave her broken shit behind.
- They were shocked.
"They're pulling the plug; I've still got game."
No apology. Insisting her christian "reality" was the truth as they drag her off the stage....
- I never knew her to have a girlfriend, either.
In fact when I think back I'm not sure how it even got started that she was gy, bi or even LGBT friendly. I guess it was just showing up at all the Mich-fest type shows and the folksy things that garnered her fans in the community. Otherwise, I don't really get it.
- It's so pathetic at the end where she's asking for $$$$$$$$$ and literally passes a hat!!
- She's live on the radio right now.
- Who put her on the radio so I know who to boycott?
- I am listening live. It's someone who kind of knows her. Nicole Sandler. SHe is not someone you need to boycott. She is being honest and critical of Michelle.
- Michelle is live-tweeting her as she talks about the story before the interview. Very meta.
- I heard the audio and it seems to me she was trying to describe people who are part of her prayer congregation but with whose opinions she doesn't agree, so that her audience could become aware of the fear that engulfs some so-called Christians.
Her big mistake, however, was correcting herself when she said "from their vantage point" adding "I should say from my vantage point because I'm one of them" (I took that to mean she couldn't deny she was part of that congregation even if she didn't agree with their homophobia).
Then she went on to say the famous soundbite about twittering that Michelle Shocked said GHF. I took that as her way of saying "OMG I can see it all now: because I'm asking for tolerance towards those who are scared about/don't understand homosexual marriage, I will be branded one of them so you might as well twitter that Michelle said GHF."
But - her execution was dismal and it could have cost her a career if not at least some tour dates.
However, if you listen to the audio and don't take sound bites out of context, you will be able to discern her intent and where she screwed up.
I'm a gay man, a raging liberal Puerto Rican fag with an Ivy League education involved in professional theater and the performing arts for decades. I'm not a Michelle Shocked fan, barely knew who she was. But all it takes is listening to the audio and getting past the obvious hurtful sound bites and the audience's confused, then hot-headed reaction, to figure out what her intent was.
Too bad she performed it awfully and then went into artsy tirades instead of clearing up the point she was trying to make (which she did days later in a press release from her publicist, something that makes the whole thing look even worse, by reading like damage control).
Doesn't help that she's a born-again. She fucked up and now she's fucked.
Cha cha cha
- what did she say on the radio show?
- She hasn't been on live yet; just tweeting back and forth with the host.
- The radio show is on now and the host has been babbling in anticipation and then going on to other subjects. No MS yet.
- R236= delusional
She even goes on to say those are HER opinions when people get upset.
- [quote]Can anyone translate the spanish she broke into at one point in her homophobic speech @ [[R201]]?
In heavily accented, almost unrecognizable Spanish, she quoted the Homily:
"Tanto amó Dios al mundo que dio a su Hijo único, para que todo el que crea en Él no perezca, sino que tenga vida eterna. Porque Dios no ha enviado a su Hijo al mundo para juzgar al mundo, sino para que el mundo se salve por Él. El que cree en Él, no es juzgado"
"For God loved the world so much that he gave his one and only Son, so that everyone who believes in him will not perish but have eternal life. Because God did not send his son to the world to judge it, but to be saved by him. He who believes in Him will not be judged."
(Because it was so difficult to understand her, I went ahead and found the overused Spanish quote in Google, then only found the first sentence in English and translated the second sentence myself. So spare me any corrections...take that up with Bible fanatics, of which I'm not one).
John 3:16, I think
- I listened to the whole thing too, and I disagree. Especially towards the end when people were leaving, she was INSISTING she was right and they were wrong and it wasn't about explaining the fear and hypocrisy of her brethren, it was saying that was the "truth" (she called it reality) and that 'too bad, the truth hurts.'
- What a stupid wanchorage
- If Shocked considers herself an artist and a writer she's certainly not a very good one. Most artists (the good ones) have the ability to make their point and present their message and make their intent clear. At least to smart people who have taken an interest in the artist's work. Stupid people never understand anything.
Shocked does not seem to have that ability. Her message, whatever it is, is muddled and comes off as offensive.
Personally, I don't think Shocked knows what she believes and that's why she can't articulate it to the rest of us. She's a closeted dyke who's been twisted inside out by religion and seems to be currently under her church's influence. She's a left-leaning artist who has chosen to align herself and be influenced by a conservative fundamentalist group of religious zealots. It's all very strange and paradoxical and I don't think she gets it either.
- okay, now LIVE (after a break) will be michelle shocked.
Link at r232/
- She says they're her views too. She never gives any indication she's being facetious or satirical, she actually doubles down on the nonsense by quoting bible verses, shouting down her hecklers and claiming she's offering "reality" and "the truth hurts".
And then yesterday she issues that non-apology saying her views on "homosexuality" (nice clinical language) have "not changed one iota", but she never says what those views are or were, never states unequivocal support for sexual minorities, and just continues to spin and obfuscate, without ever taking her words back.
She's a homophobe, plain and simple. Anyone who can't see this is willfully blind, or else shares Shocked's nutty circular logic.
- So far Michelle isn't answering the phone when Nicole Sandler dials in.
- ....she's not answering the phone, but she IS live-tweeting! weirdo.
- OK, I will listen to that part again then, r242. At that point I thought it just a reactionary, angry, radical arthouse/poetry cafe type of tirade (I tend to spoof those). But I will certainly listen more carefully to hear exactly what she was responding to.
Far be it from me to defend her and I've always sustained she screwed up royally. But to find something that will sway me against her (and there's nothing more I would like, for she is still a fucking born-again), it needs to be justifiable and not bred from blind anti-"Christian" anger, of which i have plenty to spare already.
- She is saying she will be there "live" on Twitter. Even though she already agreed to be on the phone.
What a wench.
Now Nicole is saying she will read the "weird" text conversation over the air (that they had last night).
- it's kind of funny -- she keeps tweeting the host but NOT answering the phone!
- Now she's mad and tweeting that the dj should stop playing the tape of her at the incident, calling it a "bootleg."
- Wow, I am enjoying Nicole's comments on this.
- Why is this striking such a chord with people?
I mean, some washed up 80s singer has a bipolar breakdown on stage and starts rambling crazy religious gobbledygook. It's amusing, yes, but people seem really outraged and hurt by it.
Isn't she just some crazy person? Why is everyone so wounded? Did she pretend to be an ally at some point?
- She was a LESBIAN 'at some point' r254.
- She finally picked up the phone.
- RAPE THAT DYKE! RAPE THAT DYKE! RAPE THAT DYKE!RAPE THAT DYKE! RAPE THAT DYKE! RAPE THAT DYKE!RAPE THAT DYKE! RAPE THAT DYKE! RAPE THAT DYKE!RAPE THAT DYKE! RAPE THAT DYKE! RAPE THAT DYKE!RAPE THAT DYKE! RAPE THAT DYKE! RAPE THAT DYKE!RAPE THAT DYKE! RAPE THAT DYKE! RAPE THAT DYKE!RAPE THAT DYKE! RAPE THAT DYKE! RAPE THAT DYKE!RAPE THAT DYKE! RAPE THAT DYKE! RAPE THAT DYKE!RAPE THAT DYKE! RAPE THAT DYKE! RAPE THAT DYKE!RAPE THAT DYKE! RAPE THAT DYKE! RAPE THAT DYKE!
- Editor, there's no need for r257's stench.
- r256 I clicked and she hasn't picked up the phone. Am I on a time delay?
- She picked up and was on for a couple of minutes but didn't seem to realize she had to turn down her radio to hear...
- [quote]She was a LESBIAN 'at some point' [R254].
She was THOUGHT to be a lesbian. Two different things.
- fuck you, r261.
- R262 clearly has mental issues.
- Great addition to the conversation, R262. You fucking moron...
- [quote]Isn't she just some crazy person? Why is everyone so wounded? Did she pretend to be an ally at some point?
You have to understand what it was like in the late 1980s. When Michelle Shocked came along she seemed extremely cool and very dykey. Left wing activist who alluded to being a lesbian. And some great folk, power to the people kinds of songs. There weren't many like her in those days.
Queers adopted her as one of our own. Her mainstream career faded but we hung on, although in smaller numbers. Yes, we thought she was an ally. A fragile, loopy ally. But an ally.
When she became born again and her homophobia became apparent the red flags went up. But hey! It's Michelle Shocked! Isn't she so quirky? She's still one of us.
And then this latest fiasco happened and it became abundantly clear that she is extremely fucked up and appears to blatantly hate gay people, however she identifies her own sexuality.
So yes, it hurts when someone you once admired said that god hates you.
- r264, thanks for taking offense to my comment and leaving r257 & r96 untouched.
- Thanks R265 for explaining her appeal to the young folks!
- R254, it's not like she was Stacy Q or any other cardboard-cutout pop star. She was far left politically, sang folk music, appealed to the alternative crowd, and looked like a walking definition of the word "dyke". She may not have ever identified as a lesbian, but she appealed to their tastes and had no problem taking their money when lesbians became 99% of her fan base. Add to that her otherwise far left politics (she was arrested protesting with the Occupy movement just last year) and its a bit of a slap in the face to find out she's virulently homophobic.
- This debacle makes me sad. She used to put on some of the best live shows I ever attended and I saw her many times. I love her music--Arkansas Traveler, Short Sharp Shocked, etc. A punk rock feminist Woody Guthrie. I hope she'll get over her psychotic episode or cult brainwashing or whatever it is, because the sane Michelle has much more fantastic music to make.
- Has anybody asked her point blank, you have a dykey look (nice smile btw), you seem very pro-woman and against their exploitation (see The Greener Side video), so would it surprise you for people to think you might be gay? And what do you think of Charlize Theron?
- WRONG, R261. She identified as a lesbian. She SAID she was a lesbian and she would hang out with lesbians after her shows, at which time she would introduce her gf to us.
You don't know what you're talking about.
- thank you, r271. thus my F-Y to him/her.
- Did she ever publicly identify as a lesbian?
- When she was at her peak.
- Where's the dirt on her family which we were promised yesterday?
- @r147, hun
- in the thread, r275.
- Oh geez, I missed it. Thank you, R276.
The part with the rat poison is very "We Have Always Lived in the Castle" creepy.
- R265 This is exactly why gays need to quit worshipping straight people and stop with all of this "gay icon" bullshit. Try supporting artists who are actually gay once in awhile.
- R265 is right-on.
As someone who lived through that period, y'all got it exactly right.
- [quote] This is exactly why gays need to quit worshipping straight people and stop with all of this "gay icon" bullshit. Try supporting artists who are actually gay once in awhile.
You're really missing the point here. This wasn't a Liza/Cher/Madonna thing. She wasn't a gay icon and we didn't worship her. She was a gay-identified underground, alternative, anarchist artist who we really liked. A right-on sister soldier. Not a diva with a drug habit in a floor length gown.
We thought she WAS gay for a while.
- so did she.
- Ho hum, another day, another griftin' low-life folkie bitch drama...
- Nicole Sandler about this morning:
- She looks like dog poop.
- Dear Webbie,
I travel all over Europe and have access to literally hundreds of IP addresses.
Trying to ban or block me will only make it worse.
I am harmless.
Get over yourself.
- Wait, what? Are you sure you're in the right thread, PP?
- She's obviously mentally ill. She needs help from a mental health professional.
- Michelle's Korean cousin.
- Is R289 talking about Michelle Shocked or R287?
- She actually did another interview earlier in the week. Take a look at this. It's fucking exhausting to get through, and she mostly rambles on about all kinds of nonsense instead of answering anything directly. It's crystal clear that this woman is a complete fucking nutcase. And the interviewer sucks for indulging her and not really calling her out on her bullshit.
- She is deluded. Literally.
"Tell me this: You said something was accomplished last night. What was accomplished? And was it the same thing that you were trying to accomplish? Because again, to the outside world, the accomplishment seems to be that you've convinced people that you're a hateful person. And even since your conversion, even since you became born again, you have talked with much more acceptance about homosexuals than what was quoted last night. So, if something was accomplished last night, what was it? And was it what you hoped to accomplish?"
Yes and yes. Last night, the conversation, a very important conversation, a long overdue conversation, a much-needed conversation, a conversation that people's hearts have been breaking to have but didn't have a safe place to have it, started. It just started. And right now, the loudest voices are the ones being expressed, but that's how it always is. The loudest voices come in first. But at some point the timid voices, the heartbroken voices, the quiet voices, the voices that have not been heard are also going to join the conversation. And when they do, there is a going to be a light shining in that darkness, and everyone is going to be lifted, everyone.
- She sees herself as a savior, spreading "God's word" and hopefully converting people.
- folk singers are always all about being self-righteous
- Back in the day, when I was an annoying 17-year-old precocious baby dyke, some time in 1987 I think, I actually asked Michelle Shocked if she liked girls. This was when she was signing her one album that anyone remembers (Texas Campfire Tapes) in the Virgin Megastore in Oxford Street and there were only about three of us in the queue. I can't remember what she said, but she got flustered and said something like she didn't want to talk about that kind of thing.
Other than that, I don't recall her being an out lesbian or identifying as a lesbian. She looked like a dyke and was folkie and was probably "marketed" for the lesbian crowd or feminist crowd, but I don't remember her saying anything specific.
- Wow, so many posts yet no one has said a word about her race!
- "After beating the Indigo Girls and Tracy Chapman for Album of the Year at the 1989 New Music Awards, she joked the category should be renamed “They Might Be Lesbians.” In 1990, there was no “they might be” about it. She told the Chicago paper OutLines, “I was with my first woman lover about a year and a half ago. To be honest, the real fear of coming out of the closet, not fear, but the real pressures of coming out of the closet had been if you had certain problems identifying yourself one way or another.” She went on to balk at the full-on lesbian label, saying, “I think, if this is any sense a ‘coming out’ on my part, it’s that I would like a much broader definition for myself.”
- [quote] She was THOUGHT to be a lesbian.
She was for a time either lesbian or bisexual.
She may not have ever acknowledged it publicly per se, but she was "out" in SF for several years.
People I know who lived there say she was always with a girlfriend and it was super, mega, abundantly clear (with PDA's and even a semi-public fingerbanging on one occasion) what was going on.
It may have been experimentation, a phase, whatever....and she may have been an ally at other times before this bizarre turn. But she definitely had at least one foot in "our" camp, at least for a time.
- I'm beginning to think that on top of her mental health issues she also has a MASSIVE ego. Does she honestly believe that her tirade began a conversation that society has ever had before? And that she, and only she, knows about truth and reality?
Only Michelle Shocked can speak for God? The bitch is delerious.
People have been dumping on queers for centuries. She's not the first.
- Oh, and she's obviously NOT interested in having a real conversation about this. She wants to rant at a captive audience and then run away (but not before asking for money). When challenged about it all she can manage are bizarre tweets and one-liners.
- That's it, R301.
- Hate her.
- She should be skull fucked and decapitated.
- No she doesn't R304. Get a goddamned grip.
She is mentally ill. If no one responded to her she'd go away. It's sad, but not anything to hate. That makes you as ill as she is.
- I hope she gets her act together and stops hating gay people for no reason.
- Sorry, 305, but 304 is correct. Public execution for scum like this is the best option.
- Such hate in the last few posts I'm reminded of the loon upthread who claimed the best outcome would be if she killed herself. Actually, the best outcome would be if she came to her senses, issued a sincere (and comprehensible) apology and then got the help she needs.
She is clearly mentally ill. Calling for her execution makes you as nutty as her, if not moreso. At least she's not calling for anyone to be put to death.
- R308, you're only saying this because she's a woman.
If this were a Republican male saying these things, you wouldn't care what people were saying about him.
- r308, creatures liked Shocked are like rabid dogs that are beyond help.
I guess we could compromise and have her organs donated to people who actually deserve them. Cheers.
- [quote]creatures liked Shocked are like rabid dogs that are beyond help.
So are you, hon. Please seek treatment.
- She needs serious medication adjustment is what she needs.
And so does r304.
- I just pray that the ghosts of thousands of gay teens who killed themselves after hearing such hateful statements from people like Michelle Shocked come and haunt her until she cannot take it anymore and she flings herself off of a freeway overpass.
A fitting way for scum like her to go out.
- r304 thinks Colorado movie theater murderers are sexy. Surprised?
- [quote] Cheers.
You're a demented, damaged fuckwit. Nothing "cheery" about it.
She can have our anger, our rage and even our hate, but calling for someone's death is an ugly, ugly thing.
- Hook her up to a vaginal wetness monitoring machine. Then show her photos of naked men and women. Record the moisture-producing results and make them public.
Best Possible Outcome
- I love all the prisspots who think this piece of junk still deserves to be on this planet when attitudes and actions like hers lead directly to scared kids killing themselves. Newsflash: she has forfeited her right to exist and it's time for her and her ilk to go.
- I agree she's pretty horrible at this point, but idiots are still allowed to be idiots without being killed.
- Just more evidence that homophobic = mentally ill.
- r309 nails it. I said it before, if she weren't a washed up alt singer woman she would be flamed hard but since she is she just "needs help, poor thing" or "needs her meds adjusted". Maybe all the fundie, right wingers also need help but their atrocities are unforgivable because they're men and repubs. If this were a man, the discussion would have been over 300 posts ago. She's a fucking has been anyhow so why so much discussion about her? She may need her meds adjusted but I doubt that will change her fundamental feelings about gays and gay marriage. The only thing that her breakdown has done is made her delusional enough to state her true feelings out loud, it didn't cause her to feel that way just made her dumb enough to vocalize it.
- Aaaaaannnnddd, this thread is over.
Taken over, once again, by the unhinged and deranged who just want to troll each other.
- What an odd post, r321, coming as it does after an excellent and thoughtful post that has nothing to do with trolling anyone.
- If she were a male Republican you'd all want to eat her nuts for lunch.
- Only if he was hot.
- Not in a million years, r324.
- Michelle Shocked is quite obviously fucked in the head, but many of you in the latter part of this thread are quite obviously just plain stupid. Are you not aware that schizophrenics often have delusions of grandeur, persecution complexes, and a fervor for far-out religious whackery?
Quite a piece of work she is. All kinds of confusion and self-loathing going on there, mixed with fundie brainwashing AND severe mental illness. She's not coherent. Did you fuckers read the interviews? Anybody who feels genuinely hurt by Michelle Shocked's meltdown is a moron. There's no getting around it.
- You underestimate the influence of where she comes from R327. She comes from an area which offered violence to gays when she was young.
For her to return to that notion is not a plea for attention, still less a persecution mania about today's lesbians, but an effort to rebond with her childhood abusers. Plus she's too old for the level of theatrical narcissism you seem to want to give her.
- Her Pentecostal church used her, brainwashed a mentally ill person with all kinds of hangups about her sexuality into spewing that bigoted garbage and pushed her under the bus afterwards. Her words shouldn't be given a free pass and she should suffer consequences for them (career death, for example) but using a paranoid schizophrenic person as a mouthpiece for proselytizing and spreading bigotry is beyond vile.
- Another idiot at R328. Sorry, whoever you are, but I am not trying to give her credit, or suggest that her 'theatrical narcissism' is excusable or even an excuse. I don't think she's being theatrically narcissistic in the sense that you mean it, and I don't think she's looking for attention. I think she is severely mentally ill. Her behavior at the show in SF is indicative of that, and her subsequent interview with Rob Trucks for Spin.com further illustrates her dissociation from reality. An 'effort to rebond with her abusers'? She's out of her fucking mind. None of this shit she's saying is coming from a rational mind. Are you one of the ones calling for her death?
By the way, I'm an atheist fag and have never been a fan of Michelle Shocked.
- Just listened to the weird 'interview' she did with Nicole Sandler and the original event audio. I've had a couple relatives with paranoid and schizophrenic diagnosis over the years, and this seems like very familiar ground. Delusional, sure...but it's a major break from reality in progress. She's at major risk of (far worse) self-harm, I'd venture.
Sorry to the Sandler fans here, she can be a good interviewer. She let her frustration with Shocked put her into a very unempathetic place, and that's too bad. Cringeworthy.
- If she were a male, the women on here would want to castrate him and have him hanged, but because she's a woman the poor dear is just "off her meds" and "needs help."
- "Plus she's too old for the level of theatrical narcissism you seem to want to give her."
When you're a psycho, you're |"never too old for narcissism" ("theatrical" or generic narcissism).
- It's kind of similar to the Michelle Bachmann clip. Bachmann says Obama is spending millions on a life of luxury. Then when she is asked about this comment by a reporter, she pretends she wants to talk about Bengazi and runs away.
Michelle Shocked says God Hates Fags and says that this is an uncomfortable truth, then when asked about it, avoids the question and talks about Occupy, and avoids an interview.
- GOD: "Fags, hate Michelle Shocked."
- R147 here. A few of her siblings have posted on FB about this, one in particular who I know well. He isn't being too much of an asshole, but saying "People don't understand the full story, they never will." And "We all just want her to come home and sit in the rocking chair on the front porch and pick and play."
He followed this up by saying, "She is not now and she never HAS been a homosexual."
- Sometimes I think homosexuality is only understood in four or five cities in the world. And never in smaller cities, towns or rural areas.
- God hates people that hate homosexuals. Guaranteed.
- You hit it R332. That's why I don't pay attention to hypocritical lesbians.
- This guy wrote a great essay about an openly gay comedian that included this line:
"This week a has-been folk singer claimed that God hates gay people, and we've rewarded her with more attention than she's gotten in the last 20 years put together."
Ain't that the fuckin' truth.
- Thanks for sharing, R336.
- Her brother sounds like an ass. If he were gay friendly he would have said Michelle is not gay.
- [quote] "She is not now and she never HAS been a homosexual."
I feel better now that her brother has vehemently denied her having committed quite an abominable crime or contracted such a tragic disease
- r336, he sounds like a douche.
- Well, we know where her deep-seated homophobia came from.
Why couldn't she break free of her family? She had a few years of success and was surrounded by left-leaning, predominantly gay fans, as well as fellow artists and musicians who also skew left. She had opportunities and experiences that many kids from far worse backgrounds never get, yet many are still able to break free of their homophobic upbringing and live their lives happily gay.
Why couldn't she do the same?
- Now she says she's going to show up at the canceled shows.
Friday afternoon, the beleaguered singer tweeted that she would be appearing at Saturday night at McCabe’s in Santa Monica for a “speaking engagement” on the subject of “Effects of Gay-Bashing on the L.A. Mayoral Race.”
This came as news to the club -- and not good news.
“She is not welcome at McCabe’s,” said the venue’s angry concert director, Lincoln Myerson, who had just learned about Shocked’s vow -- or threat -- to show up after he got calls regarding the singer’s mysterious tweet.
McCabe's had not heard from Shocked since they announced her show's cancelation. Neither had any of the other 10 venues which canceled.
- Asked by The Hollywood Reporter via Twitter if she intended to make her "appearance" some sort of guerrilla action, Shocked, who was arrested two years ago at an Occupy protest, responded: "OK, OCCU-PIE!!" She also retweeted a fan who said: "You mean like on the sidewalk in front of @McCabesGuitar? It doesn't get much more punk rock than that. I'm there."
- I predict a publicly staged suicide live from Twitter in her future.
- [quote]Why couldn't she do the same?
Perhaps her paranoid schizoprenia had something to do with it.
- Why are you all so anguished about the ravings of a paranoid schizophrenic?
My partner's brother is a paranoid schizophrenic. He talks shit, too. Water off our backs.
She shouldn't be performing and anyone who paid to see her is an idiot. She's been sick for a long time.
- Shit's getting fucked up. Getting high on burning bridges
- Well, MY shit's STILL fucked up, that's for sure.
- [r332] and [r339]: you sound like you're off your meds, too.
- ...so DID she show up at the canceled LA gig last night?
- Maybe she could start playing her shitty songs at church picnics.
- What exactly is the woman in the audience saying? Hard to understand.
- Her dad (stepfather who raised her) on a mutual friend's FB page today:
"She did support some controversial things after college. She has never been homosexual. Knowing that is the difference between fan and FAMILY. We love her bunches."
- McCabe's was pretty pissed at the prospect of Shocked showing up at the cancelled gig, R355, and there's nothing online about what happened. Perhaps she decided against it.
- According to rednecks like her family a person is either one of two things, A ) homosexual, or B) Homophobic.
In their imbecilic backward mind a person cannot be a pro-gay heterosexual.
- but r360 they lover her bunches and that's all that matters.
- I agree, R360 and R361. Ugh!
- SANTA CRUZ, Calif. — Alternative folk and rock singer Michelle Shocked is staging a sit-in outside one of several nightclubs that canceled her show after she made an anti-gay slur.
Shocked's show scheduled for Thursday evening at Moe's Alley in Santa Cruz had been canceled, along with several others, after the singer's slur at a San Francisco concert more than a week ago.
She appeared outside Moe's Alley wearing tape across her mouth that read "Silenced By Fear."
When asked a question, Shocked shook her head vigorously and pointed to a sign inviting people to pick up a Sharpie marker and write on the white disposable safety suit she was wearing.
Bands Beaver Fever and Frootie Flavors were warming up, and club owner Bill Welch said the evening would be about playing music and celebrating diversity.
- If God hates FUGS, she's pretty fucked. Can't pray that face away.
She seems in the middle of a paranoid episode in the recording from that night. And in the radio interview a few days later she is obsessed with the ten second delay from microphone to computer speaker. Paranoid schizophrenic with some good old fashioned self loathing. Fuck the people at that church she attends for loading her up with this hateful nonsense. They're taking advantage of a high profile lunatic, in my opinion.
- [quote]When asked a question, Shocked shook her head vigorously and pointed to a sign inviting people to pick up a Sharpie marker and write on the white disposable safety suit she was wearing.
Oh jeez, she's turned into Yoko Ono.
- I will bully and annoy them into liking me!
- Now this is just bizarre...
- r369, thanks for the link. Wow, she's unhinged. She's clearly mentally disturbed and desperate for attention.
- And yet there's something special and intriguing about her...
- What an attention whore!
- She's out of her mind and needs to be institutionalized/
- Someone should get her the help she needs. She is clearly mentally ill. She's delusional.
- Face covered and mouth taped shut, alternative folk and rock singer Michelle Shocked staged a sit in outside a Santa Cruz nightclub that canceled her show because she made an anti-gay slur at a San Francisco club earlier this month.
The tape across her mouth said "Silenced By Fear." When asked a question, Shocked shook her head vigorously and strummed her guitar while seated on the ground outside popular music venue Moe's Alley. She pointed to a sign inviting people to pick up a Sharpie marker and write on the white disposable safety suit she was wearing.
- I hope someone wrote on here back " I'M A DIRTY CUNT!!! "
- R376, I'd like you to meet R365.
- [bold]Michelle Shocked Shows Up At Canceled Concert With Mouth Taped Shut: ‘Silenced By Fear’[/bold]
Alternative folk singer Michelle Shocked is back, apparently, having showed up at her canceled concert at Moe’s Alley in Santa Cruz, California, wearing an odd costume that included tape across her mouth with the words “silenced by fear” across it.
- More like silenced by her own hate.
- For a gay basher, she sure is a drama-queen...
- Why worry about something hating you that doesn't exist?
- My name is Celestia // I live on the second floor
Last week I said I hated all fags // Because I'm a attention whore!
- This is now getting just sad. Clearly there is something wrong with her. I really hope she can get the help she needs.
- Well she's certainly behaving like a fundamentalist right-winger: claiming that SHE's being persecuted by the people she attacks.
- What a dumb twat. If she is being silenced by fear or hatred or whatever, why is she making people write things? She's the one who is silenced, not them..idiot.
- Her fucking dumb sign should read "deafened by fear" then the writing shit would make sense.
- This cunt needs to be euthanized asap.
- I think deep down she's thrilled by the global backlash. After all, this is the first time anyone has been discussing her since 1990.
- Who the fuck is she? Even I don't know.
- Face covered and mouth taped shut = massive improvement
No 1 Fug
- Anyone catch her Piers Morgan interview tonight?
- Another train wreck of an interview. Judge for yourself:
- She gave the audience truth, but then they wanted reality so she switched to that?!!?? But the audience just wasn't ready for reality??!!!? WTF?
Why doesn't anyone ask her to explain the difference between truth and reality?
She's so fucked up that it would be amazing to watch her try to explain the difference. I think the question would lead to a serious on air meltdown.
- Guess that settles that.
- Yes R393. She kept yammering on and on. Piers was noticeably annoyed with her at the end and basically cut her off because she wouldn't shut up. I will say that she was more coherent than her previous attempts at damage control. She sorta said that she doesn't condemn gays but she doesn't condemn fundies either or some such nonsense. Oh and she denies ever having lived her life as a lesbian. So she's a fucking liar.
- Yep, R397. That bullshit about her manager hitting on her, and then presenting her as a lesbian musician when she rebuffed his advances, was such an obvious lie. It pretty much makes it official that her biggest problem is self loathing. To create such an elaborate and clearly false story to explain away her lesbianism is just fucked. Schizophrenic lesbians should not become born again Christians.
- Leave it to Piers Morgan to exploit an obviously troubled woman. Doesn't really matter what Shocked says if she's suffering under a delusion. I hope she gets the help she needs. Mental illness is a bitch.
- What is her history? Maybe she does suffer from mental illness to behave this way.
- She is not a liar. She would never touch cunt. No way in hell. You are trying to insult her because she's one of the few who has the guts to speak her mind. I'm a gay man and I don't agree with her views male homosexuality. But I am also black and understand how hard it is for her too speak up. If you aren't black you aren't going to get it. Live and let live. If you believe it do it.
- I've some around to agreeing with you, R399, though I am more pissed off at the people in her church. I think they have exploited a relatively high profile, mentally ill person. There is something very "I was molested" about her, too. Really sad. I honestly don't think she knows how to articulate the random and contradictory thoughts that bounce around in that head. Truth vs. reality? Classic schizo doublespeak.
- But very soon Prop 69 will be the law of the land and you will be forced by gunpoint to touch cunt, R401. Cunt that you could never possibly understand. White cunt! And then someone who keeps up with the news on earth will gently tap Jesus on the shoulder and say, "Well, it's time."
- No way in hell would I touch white cunt. NEVER EVER. Now you people have resorted to calling this women mentally ill? saying she was molested? I'm angry but so not surprised. I agree with others on this board, there is a place in hell for white lesbians. Fuck off.
- So are you representing truth or reality, R404?
- Fuck off R405, You'll never understand us. Get the fuck off the black mans back and stop the hypocrisy when it comes to Michelle. That beautiful back human being is better than you could ever hope to be. Bow down Bitch.
- I don't understand r401/r404's rants. How is this about race?
- I have a feeling that someone from her church is posting, R407.
- R2 -- before hitting WHAT big?
- That's because you are racist. Bow down bitch.
- Serious question, R110. Are you on angel dust?
- She has a terrible nose job
- But Michelle is white. WTF?
- White is black. Gay is straight. And angel dust rules!
- Over 400 posts for this fugly cunt who barely made a blip on the radar in the late 80s?
- It was all part of God's great plan from the very beginning, r415.
- I caught part of the interview. She also said something about tape vs. live, and Piers asked her why that mattered. She sounds schizo to me, with all the worrying about things like that. Like there's some conspiracy. And she was annoying with the truth vs. reality b.s.
She didn't want to give a simple answer. And then she says she wants to be clear, because if he (Piers) was going to have a "poet" on, she should at least be able to clarify her position. She tries to speak in riddles, and it comes out like word salad.
- She was just on one of the A.M. talk shows (maybe CNN?) denying that she is a homophobe and coming out in support of marriage equality. I got the impression she says whatever the audience wants to hear.
All this fuss over a has-been singer with one hit. That hit anchored looong ago and wasn't very good to begin with.
- R401/410 sounds like s/he could be a member of Shocked's "predominantly black" fundamentalist church.
- Yep R420. Agreed.
- r410 wipes back to front.
- I still feel sorry for her. She's insane. I don't know how 'cunty' she is. I mean, I've been close with a schizoaffective bipolar train wreck of a young woman before -- it was not fun.
I don't think she has anything against gay people. She's just truly out of her mind, and a closeted bi/lesbian, and the religious beliefs she clings to (as the insane often like to do) are a huge part of the problem.
Those of you calling her FUG and wishing she'd die are knee-jerk simpletons who can't handle complexity.
- Just watched the Piers Morgan interview. She still could have been clearer -- again, mental illness takes the reins -- but I believe she was genuine and I wish Morgan would have been more patient with her at the end.
I do think I get what she means about 'truth' vs. 'reality'. Reality is the homophobia in her church. "How are you liking reality so far? It pretty much sucks, doesn't it?"
- No r424, you are reading her through too-kind eyes and ears. She meant the reality that we are going to burn in hell sucks.
- "I'm waving goodbye to censorship and blacklisting just by typing this message to you, Alexandra. I can go on all night about 'reminders' because I have a gig to reclaim on April 24 at Palms Playhouse in Winters CA. What part of 'other homophobic celebrities' did you not understand? I'm not homophobic, and I sure aint a celebrity. I'm roadkill in Big Data's war on content creators but I've got a song in my heart & I'm still singing. Keep your fascist views to yourself. I'm kicking out the jambs."
- Michelle Shocked, responding to comments at the YouTube clip of her appearance on CNN
- I wish people would (re)post her comments about being a lesbian every chance they can.
- Really bad nose job!
- As she keeps saying on the Youtube comments: