What, in your opinion, are things that are wrong with America today
I think the media that glorifies stupidity is its main problem.
The proliferation of the working poor while the rich get richer.
The descent of society to the lowest common denominator.
People who dwell on negatives.
* Our school system is funded by local property taxes ensuring inequality.
* Our culture glorifies celebrities, including people who got where they are by steroids, plastic surgery and little talent
* Our cities are filthy, our transportation infrastructure including bridges, tunnels, trains, subways and highways are decrepit.
* Our two national parties are both tied to pleasing the corporations and wealthy elites
* We're the only major industrialized economy without national health insurance that covers everyone (even with Obamacare)
* Commerce has overtaken all other spheres of life. Politicians become news commentators, actors become politicians, military officers retire and cash in to become lobbyists and consultants. A handful of corporations control all the media, including radio, cable, television broadcasting, motion pictures, newspapers (the few that are left.) Look up Disney, Clear Channel, Comcast/NBC Universal, CBS, Time Warner, and Sony.
The obsession with being famous.
That republicans are allowed to fuck up the country because democrats got their feelings hurt in 2010 and decided to stay home.
The Prussian School System. We don't teach kids how to think, only memorize facts that are useless and that they'll soon forget. We don't teach logic or rhetoric or economics. We vilify kids for making waves or questioning authority. We've created generations of people who hate reading. The ones who do read mostly read garbage. We are all afraid without some authority guiding us. We despise or distrust intellectuals. We revel in our ignorance. We're racist and classist. Half of us think bombing countries "helps them" and the other half want us to nuke any other country the media tells them is an enemy. Despite all of this, we think we're the greatest country in the world.
R8 for President.
R5 for President.
Nothing that could not be solved if the Republican party were wrested from the death grip of its extremists or if the South seceded.
We only value science that makes discrete material goods. Look at the Republicans who lambasted the Hubble Telescope, one of the scientific wonders of the modern era.
The financial system has gone off the rails in the way that it over-values those at the elite level to such an extreme.
Yes, there will always be wealthy, middle income, and lower income people. But the disparity between those at the top and those at the middle or the bottom is too wide to be healthy.
CEO's, entertainers, elite sports figures and those at the very top deserve to make good money. BUT the greed and income disparity between them and the "average Joe's" has gotten out of hand. When I read about a movie star making $5+ million per film; a CEO making $20+ million a year, or a sports figure making $1 + million a year I know that it means that the 'man on the street' is going to pay for it on some level (higher ticket prices, parking, concession, stock prices, you name it.)
I'm tired of funding the "Marie Antoinette" lifestyle of the elite in this country. Nobody needs to make $10 million a year. That's insane (and yet I realize the economic market will allow that or else it wouldn't happen.) But just because it's a reality doesn't mean it's right.
The guy at the top shouldn't make more than, say, 10x, what the guy at the very bottom makes.
I realize this is all overly simplistic or 'pie in the sky' thinking, but those in power have abused their position and the rest of us are working indirectly to shower them with excess that could be better spread around the community rather than hoarded by the few.
Everyone is forgetting obesity.
R15 Not you, Chandler/Freddy Moobs Queen.
Everything that is wrong with our country today stems from a change in direction that happened a little over 30 years ago... see pic:
Too many people freeloading... from generations of welfare recipients who do nothing to get out of the cycle to the CEO's of corporate America, who look for government handouts.
R18, you're only half-right. You've got some Republican propaganda mixed up in there.
If you've ever been poor, you'd know how expensive it is, and how much of a trap it is, and how nearly impossible it is to get out. Read the book "Nickeled & Dimed" to get some perspective, and maybe you'll stop hating on poor people.
It's the wealthy parasites (who make their wealth not through work, but by [italic]extracting[/italic] it from the work of others) that are the real problem.