How did Patti Smith manage to stage such an effective comeback?
Did anyone really care when she went away in the 1980s? Why are people fawning all over her now?
- Part of it was her husband (Fred from MC5) took her away.
Part of it was he then died.
Part of it was that we missed her and was glad she was back.
- He "took her away"? That sounds nearly sinister.
- & also kept up the quality of material and known for being great live.
- He really didn't care for Mapplethorpe and the gay scene, r2.
- How did MC die?
- Fred Sonic Smith of MC5 had a massive heart attack, I think. It was a cardiac episode, in any case.
- Awfully young to have a heart attack. Wasn't he a violent alcoholic, or was that a rumor?
- Because at her age the ugliness is more acceptable. God, she's ugly.
- He ate a lot of hot dogs, no joke.
Worst shit in the world to eat.
- Patti was like Edie Sedgwick in that a straight rocker (in Patti's case, Sonic Smith, in Edie's case, Bob Dylan) felt the need the "liberate" a woman from the "clutches" of "the gays."
- She named her children like Jesse & Jackson, so Fred couldn't have been that right wing.
- Go to PS's wikipedia page & you'll see Jesse Smith. Jackson (boy) married Meg White of the White Stripes in 2009. Sorry can't find a photo of him, found something but it was like yeesh...
- Because time faded the reality that she was a poseur in the punk scene and a total bitch.
- she's the Grand Dame of Hipsters everywhere, that's why.
- I remember when she came back -- it was a memorial tribute on the "No Alternative" CD that was part of the "Red Hot and Blue" AIDs benefit series of concerts.
DataLounge get your fix of gay gossip, news and pointless bitchery.
Talking to DataLounge servers.
Please wait a moment...