- (... crickets...)
- It's where she belongs, drying up in the desert.
- NO BRIT! Don't do it!!! You'll be labeled a sellout!!!!
21 & 2 Hot 2 B Believed
- This will not end well at all.
- Smartest move she could make at this point.
- Followed by Rihanna & Beyonce soon.
- it's LV or nothing
- I hope she can handle the pressure of a daily show for several months
- R8, remember when Michael Jackson committed to daily shows for several months? ITA with R4.
- Just like Nomi Malone!!!!
- She has a consistent fan base, so even if I'm not a fan of her on pop music in general, she'll be pretty successful.
I was looking at the touring numbers from acts during the last 10 years and her grosses are pretty good, I mean she's nowhere near Madonna level record breaking tour box office, but she's pretty successful.
- This will end well... not.
- Her fanbase on the Exhale forum over at Breathe Heavy are going absolutely spare over this development - they think it will be the end of her. Some fanbase, eh?
- [quote]She has a consistent fan base, so even if I'm not a fan of her on pop music in general, she'll be pretty successful.
She has a small fan base, and they don't have the money for this.
[quote]I was looking at the touring numbers from acts during the last 10 years and her grosses are pretty good, I mean she's nowhere near Madonna level record breaking tour box office, but she's pretty successful.
Nope. They couldn't sell out her last tour. They cut the prices in half.
She goes on stage now and flaps her arms. She doesn't sing. She doesn't do anything.
She's going to be around drugs and booze night after night. She'll end up not even taking the stage. She's also away from that fiance and father of her's. She's totally on her own. She'll be dead within two years. Trust me.
- [quote]Followed by Rihanna & Beyonce soon.
Oh, grandpa, you too funny.
- [quote]are going absolutely spare over
- Her fans would have to fly there and see her 5 nights a week. Not gonna happen. This will be X-Factor all over again. They'll give tons of money to a has-been and won't make a dime return. Must be a lot of old people, the sort on DL, making these decisions, unaware of who's hot, and who's not.
- She can't handle the rigorous demands this will place on her. She has a conservator for God's sake!
- Personally i think Britney is at the point in her life where she wants to be at the same place of work every day, then go home for a normal family life. It will be good for her in that sense, but her fanbase is worldwide so will not really benefit.
- [quote]She can't handle the rigorous demands this will place on her. She has a conservator for God's sake!
She no longer has a conservator. She has no one.
- Britney was not some talentless bimbo plucked from obscurity. She was talented - wonderful dancer, interesting pop voice (she was a belter as a child then her record label trained her to sing in that sultry iconic babydoll way), she has inspired a legion of innovative music producers and has at least one exceptional album ("Blackout"). A Vegas residency will hopefully allow her to find out why she became a performer in the first place and maybe she can get some of the fire back. She has some terrific pop songs which stand the test of time and I sincerely loved 2011's "Femme Fatale".
- r20 Britney still has a conservator, her ex fiance was removed but her father has remained in place
- They should book her act at Circus Circus
- Are they counting on women and gays in their mid-late 20's (who were teens in Britney's heyday) who happen to travel to Vegas on the weekends to fill up the seats? That's a pretty small pool considering many people in that age group/demographic don't have tons of disposable income to blow on a weekend to Vegas plus the $90-300 it would cost in tickets. High-rollers ad their wives won't spend the money to see her as she's too young to be considered a nostalgia act. Fraus love Celine and Cher and other older acts.
Also, while this wont have the rigors of a road show (I bet Britney is no longer in the mental/physical condition to go on a lengthy world tour), a Vegas headline act is still quite rigorous to do for an artist. Usually 40-50 weeks a year with only a day or two off per week, right? I'm pretty sure her handlers won't have her sign a bullshit contract that Toni Braxton had in which the show crew were entitled to sue her if she didn't fulfill the contractual obligations - which they did when Braxton had to cancel due to her health problems. You all already know Brit is NOT in the best mental or physical condition to perform a show like this night in and night out. It's basically the best option for her to make some more money for her family or estate, but it's the lesser of two evils. I just wish that she could sit at home and get better rather than be forced to do this. The dead, medicated look in her eyes says it all.
- A carny act would be more fitting
- I'd like to know what psych meds she's taking.
From what I understand, most make you gain weight and become very lethargic. How will she manage it?
- She should get a job as a magician's assistant.
- britbot is back @ r21. We will now hear the spiritual stylings of Miss Spears.
- r28 - please don't. I was merely offering a constructive argument.
- r26 - Britney has some very lovely, intimate songs in her back catalogue that are not hard to sing - I think if she brings in a vocal coach, she could even do an acoustic thing.
This is one of my personal faves:
- Anyone who suggests that Britney Spears has an iota of talent as a singer or that any of the material she has released possesses the slightest substance cannot be taken seriously, so I have to assume you are joking, r21.
The real question is why this clearly troubled person doesn't just grab her pile and ride off into the sunset. Why does she continue to do this when she's not very good at and shouldn't have to anymore to be comfortably wealthy for the rest of her life?
- r31, you can't be serious. I'm sorry but no. She has a fantastic pop legacy:
- Our late beloved Herb Ritts directed this one. Absolutely adored her in this - just incredibly sexy, fresh, vibrant, tender. The works:
- R17 I agree. This will be another flop like X-Factor. They were selling tickets for her last tour at discount prices on Groupon, so why would they think this will be a success? Also, most of the people who go to Las Vegas shows are old people, and old people aren't going to care about her.
You're right - these old executives thinking she's still a hot commodity must still be living in the 2000's.
- [quote]The real question is why this clearly troubled person doesn't just grab her pile and ride off into the sunset. Why does she continue to do this when she's not very good at and shouldn't have to anymore to be comfortably wealthy for the rest of her life?
Because she's a famewhore who can't stand not to be in the spotlight. Remember when she used to go driving around LA for hours everyday going to places she knew the paparazzi would be so she could get her picture taken? The young pop acts of today must drive her (even more) crazy with all the attention they get.
- shut your mouth r35.
- She needs to dress better
- r31 - I think she blew through a huge amount of her stack during her crazy period. She has an extremely expensive lifestyle and she's only 30ish. She needs a pile of money that can support her and those around her for 50 years.
r33 - It's a pretty video, but a generic, crappy song. And Brit doesn't look like that anymore.
- Britney's like a tragic Tennessee William character. Which makes her incredibly fascinating.
- She's a talentless twat, she couldn't sing live to save her ass.
- She's an interesting cultural icon, more so than Madonna.
Kitschy, sexy, funny, bizarre, tragic--she's got it all.
I'd pay to see that show, especially because it's in gaudy Vegas.
55 year old gay guy
- She IS a tragic Tennessee Williams character, that's brilliant. Never thought of it like that.
- ... and Carson McCullers. Tennessee & Carson loved Marilyn, they would love Britney.
- I think it's very exciting that she is doing this and I'd like reports back from you concert-goers!
- I can't wait for her tell all book by some decent writer in say 15 years.
- I picture her pulling a Neely O'Hara and not showing up...
- I can't imagine Britney being in the physical and mental shape to perform on a nightly basis like this. I believe she's quite wealthy, but she has a lot of people to support (basically her entire family) and she and they all live at a fairly lavish level - those lifestyles cost a fortune to maintain and this is her only option for making big bucks right now to keep the money rolling in.
I think her career as a pop singer who can sell a lot of singles and albums is over. Her fans from 10 years ago have all grown up and moved on, and younger people just aren't interested in her. She doesn't have the multi-generational fan base of someone like Madonna.
- More importantly, R47, she doesn't have the *work ethic* of Madonna. Britney could achieve more, but it would require her to expend some energy.
- Troll-dar r43 and head back through the thread. britbot is fabulous. I was wondering what happened to them. They're crazier than janbot, and madbot.
- I heard that there would be no way she could do it since they would actually require her to SING, live, night after night.
She can't sing, so.......
- Hey y'all! Dont worry about me so much, i can just do a lot of lip singing like Beyniece did. I can still shake my moneymaker some and smile real good. I'll still have enough energy to go out to the clubs too y'all!
- This is Vegas, they'll probably use doubles for her dancing, like they've been doing in her videos for years. Throw in a few illusions to dress it up, and she won't really work much at all. She'll probably have Manilow's setup where he took an elevator from his suite to the stage each night. I agree that I can't see who the audience might be for this gig. I see major egg on somebody's face when it's over; but they like to gamble out there, and are just keeping up the tradition by hiring her.
- I'm not sure Vegas seems like a great living location for someone with her issues, but then LA is probably about as bad.
- Britney Spears cannot carry a tune. How she remained popular is beyond me.
- Hey y'all. Britney here, I'm busier than a nine tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs getting my next album together for y'all. You're gonna be more excited than a coondog in a sinkhole full of rabbits when y'all see my new show in Vegas. Come on down y'all.
- Yeah right R30, acoustic Britney in Vegas. How do you come up with this shit? Sugar? Corn syrup?
- God, why bother when you've got millions of dollars? If i had her money I'd just be done.
- R57 I bet she'd retire if she could. However, she needs to support a small village of very expensive idiots.
- How much do they all need though, R58? I think her net worth is around 100 mil. Just living off the interest is 5 million a year. And she still has income coming in with perfume and albums. She can tour once every two years. Sheesh. Let her take her lithium in peace.
- R59 $100 million might seem like a fortune to you and me but she has many, many hangers on. They've been around since her Mickey Mouse Club days. They need their constant incomes. She can't make any financial decisions anyway. She just keeps getting told: "Britney, performing is what you love, it's what makes you happy, now go out on stage and shine for Daddy".
- [quote]And she still has income coming in with perfume and albums.
Her albums don't sell. Perfume, yes. That's it. She got the X-Factor deal. They were banking on a meltdown for ratings. Didn't happen. The ratings were lower than the previous year. Now they'll give her money for Vegas, and that will be a catastrophe. That will be the last straw for her. She's too old for this shit.
- Maybe she's just sentimental and wants to return to the location of her first wedding ceremony.
- [quote]How much do they all need though, [R58]? I think her net worth is around 100 mil. Just living off the interest is 5 million a year. And she still has income coming in with perfume and albums. She can tour once every two years. Sheesh. Let her take her lithium in peace.
They had a break down of an A-lister's finances in New York magazine and it was widely believed to be J.Lo. Her 'lifestyle' costs around $20 million a year to maintain. I bet Britney's is similar. That requires a constant revenue stream to keep up.
- She's been a Vegas Act for years, just not in Las Vegas.
- A lot of former A-Listers just can't give up the lifestyle and hangers-on when their careers decline. A big house in LA, a big apartment in NY, another big house somewhere else, constant travel, expensive shopping, a LOT of people whose lifestyle you need to support, including paying all travel and restaurant/nightclub expenses etc. etc. These people are just unable to downsize and obviously it costs a frigging fortune to pay for everything and everyone. $20 million per year could easily be blown through with no problem. Even though Britney is very wealthy by your and my standards, millions of that money is going out constantly.
- "I bet she'd retire if she could"
Her caretakers might think that work helps with her mental issues, gives her something to focus on, a reason to keep herself together. I mean, what's she going to do all day if she retires? She doesn't have custody of her kids, she busted up with her fiancee, retirement would mean sitting around the house all day.
- Britney's facial expressions on the X Factor were absolutely hysterical. I just think she's the bomb.
- You can't not love this girl.
- [quote]She doesn't have custody of her kids, she busted up with her fiancee, retirement would mean sitting around the house all day.
She has joint custody of her children. She seems bored by work. I bet she'd like to sit around and be with her kids all day but she has an entourage to support. She's not in control. It's her family/manager setting up all of these deals.
- She's been looking better of late.
- She doesn't want those two brats.
She looks horrible. Get your eyes checked. Her face is busted beyond belief.
- Little Jethro picking up mommy's smokes.
- Little Jethro with mommy's lighter.
- Of late, she does look better. The one I posted in R70 is very recent.
- [quote]She goes on stage now and flaps her arms. She doesn't sing. She doesn't do anything.
Vegas will work out well for her.
- She's not a narcissist, unlike Kanye and Beyonce who have tried to get recent shots of them taken off the internet (LOL!) Britney always dresses in regular clothes, shuns surgery and looks like she's toiling in the trenches of life as much as the everyman. She's one of us. The People's Princess, one could say! She's not in her own artificial world anymore. She's back, very much mortal and poignant and flawed... I think so, anyway.
- r76/britbot, never change!
- This ripped me apart.
- Ladies and Gentlemen...
The Stardust proudly presents Miss Britney Spears in GODDESS.
- R78 That was really sad to watch. You could see she knew and felt his pain. And it must've been awful to say no. Life damages talent all the time.
- Hey Britney, ever hear Caesar sing? You'll love it!
- I'm doin' some of the finest pychotropic drugs in the world, darlin'. You want some?
It's great for the muscles.
- Max Martin on Britney's breakout - "The album, I think, is going to be very... easy to understand."
- She opens up to the interviewer here like they are a girlfriend - I really think she wanted to pour her heart out to her. She looks great here, too.
- The 90s were incredibly liberating:
- R85 bitches who say Britney can't sing should watch this.
- Take note:
- I miss Pink Wig Britney...
- All those trailers heading to Vegas - hmm just like the early pioneers.
- Here's one of Britney's legendary unreleased tracks, written from the time when she started going off the rails and ceasing to trust those around her - there have been rumors in recent weeks that the whole recording would leak. Check it out:
- Britney needs consistency. Vegas will get her back into shape. I just pray it's only for 6 months or something.
- This will be a flop just like Flop Factor. Her last tour was selling tickets at discount prices on Groupon, so there's no way a show in the same city every night will do well.
- She was forced to do X Factor. Remember, she's not in charge of her business affairs yet.
- Interviewer: "So Britney, where have you toured?"
Brit: (slamming down the ketchup bottle) "Different places!!!"
- I'm not going EVER. Why should I make someone I don't like RICH? What she did to her gay male servant was enough for me. The bitch is a lunatic.
- "You gotta problem with your nipples?"
"I'm erect...why aren't you?"
- What do you think of the new Scream & Shout remix? Britney is rocking that ponytail!!!
- Hit-Boy is cute.
- Entertainment Lawyer had a blind item about Brit the other day, coming unglued and locking herself in a shed with gardening shears. They're going to push this girl to that point.
- She's going to be dead in a couple of years. Mark my words.
- If she dies at the age of 36, she will be in an elite group with Marilyn and Princess Diana. I don't want her to die though, I'm just saying it would have a perversely beneficial impact on her career.
- Just! Leave! Britney! ALONE!!!
- i likes the happy pink britney
- A week or two ago Foo Fighters member Dave Grohl was talking about this and he pointed out a picture of Britney and said her eyes looked dead. He's right. In recent pictures of Britney alone doing errands she does look dead inside. She kind of seems like she was at the very beginning of her long mental melt down. It's like there isn't any emotion. She's just walking around like a zombie (flat affect) and she's starting to appear very messy - poor grooming, sloppy inappropriate clothes.
She only seems like a person when she's working. It's like she's dead inside and her handlers give her something or it seems like they flip a switch to turn her on when they need to send her out to make even more money. Seriously how much money does she need? Do they keep her drugged up when she isn't working (causing her to have no emotion) and then stop her meds a few days before she has to work (so she has a personality and emotion)?
She was already earning $725,000 a month before appearing on X-Factor, which earned her another large fortune for working less than 50 hours. They (her family - who she supports) should just let her have a normal life out of the spotlight
And she's still under conservatorship too. I've worked in a mental hospital and I've never seen anything like this. People who are under a conservatorship are seriously mentally ill. They don't work. They can't work. Britney is a woman who supposedly can't be trusted with her own money or to make any decisions on her own, but they (her family) are going to make her appear as a performing, lip syncing seal in Vegas. If you remember,very recently (months ago) she wasn't mentally strong enough to testify in court. But of course she was well enough to earn millions on X-Factor
- I think it is a serious mental illness. I speculate it's either schizophrenia - given her age her most bizarre behavior became visible by the public or possibly a Dissociative disorder brought on by the extreme pressure of being marketed as a sex symbol and superstar at such a young age.
I'm sure she is happiest when she is allowed to be with her kids and for all we know, performing.
- For someone with many millions of dollars and lots of responsibility it isn't that bad to be under conservatorship. So other people can't take her money away that easily, it doesn't have to mean that she is incapable of living and totally messed up; she has achieved much, has taken a lot of responsibility for many years and seems somewhat average, not an outsider like many artists.
- Does this video suggest some kind of split personality? It seems like something in her own head is communicating with her or telling her to stop talking.
- Courtney Love has said that her father molested her. Who knows--but he seems like a leering, lecheous father from what I've seen on video. And what kind of family allows their young daughter to be so sexualized anyway?
In incest families, the victim will always be accused of being crazy. Often times they do get committed. In fact, in Louisiana, Britney's home state, a person can be involuntarily committed by their family.
She can't go anywhere by herself--not due to fans, but because Daddy won't let her.
That old fart needs to get a job and get off of his daughter's back.
- That video is so disturbing, I don't see how anyone can't feel bad for her. She doesn't have much talent, but she's just so defenseless and sad. I hope this ends well.
- I didn't know Vegas still had side-shows.
- [quote]That video is so disturbing, I don't see how anyone can't feel bad for her. She doesn't have much talent, but she's just so defenseless and sad.
I don't feel sorry for her - at least she's a multi-millionaire. Look at all of the "regular" people who have mental issues and can barely make ends meet, or worse, are homeless because they're so out of it. At least she's got money and people to watch over her.
- I just hope that I can be as good as the show.
Britney Jean Spears
- You don't think there's injustice about people making money off Britney's hard work r112?
- Her entire lazy, fucked-up abusive family should all get jobs. They are killing Britney--she doesn't need to work, and has said that she just wants to stay at home with her boys.
Her face is changing. Not in any bad way, but it reflects a lot of pain that is inside her. I disagree with people who say that her eyes are dead--to me, they reveal a terrible turmoil and trauma. She is a thirty year-old mother with the eyes of a frightened child.
- r115, did you see this documentary she made - there's a moment where she is telling the interviewer how people around her only hear what they want to hear and that she is sad. Is her physical transformation since 2009 due to medication for her condition?
- Hi R116,
yes, I have seen this and it is quite telling, is it not?
Her awkward responses to bloated old daddy's comments about hooker shoes and her "lookin' perty" were very revealing. There is something very wrong in that daughter/father dynamic.
She's a very damaged woman who cannot escape her abusive family. Did you hear her say that she would love to get in her car and just drive away from it all? Or just take her two sons and go live on a desert island by themselves?
Most women who get a bipolar diagnosis have been molested as children. That's a fact.
- I just watched the documentary. I'd love to read her book oneday, the one where she tells the whole story. Britney is not an idiot, she's just a sensitive person. The contrast between her and Madonna is scary in this. If Britney could just realise how intelligent and funny she really is and get rid of her handlers she could have the life she really wants and deserves.
- Whitney Houston with all her #1 hits died millions of dollars in debt.
Britney can easily have the same fate if she doesn't keep working.
- Britney is the female Elvis. Discuss.
- Britney is Vegas Elvis, but does not have his catalogue of work, obviously.
It's not her fault--these days songs have no real melody or lyrics.
- I like her ass.
- Wow. I'm watching that documentary somebody linked. It's sad.
I adore Britney Spears. Not because of her music so much, but ever since she came out she always seemed like a nice, genuine girl. Like just a regular nice girl you'd know. I've always rooted for her.
I had a face to face with her once and she is really shy. I can only imagine why.
That being said, the girl smokes like a chimney and her dressing room wreaked of cigarettes. I wanted to steal the ashtray after she left and sell it on Ebay. LOL Sadly, I didn't.
- r125 is a weirdo.
- [quote]It's not her fault--these days songs have no real melody or lyrics.
Yeah, okay, elder.
- [quote]Britney is the female Elvis. Discuss.
Elvis had talent. Britney is nothing.
- Troll-dar r121, then page back. britbot is off her meds.
- r128, stop calling me Britbot. I have not been uncivilized in this thread or abusive, unlike you. I have posted constructive and considerate messages that are pro-Britney. Yes, I'm a fan. You are trolling for kicks.
- Can we get some Crossroads appreciation up in here people? :-)
- Whatever Elvis had, Britney has too. People just don't keep their attentions on somebody for this long without them having that certain something. It's the fact you're going to have to live with. You project so much of your unconsciousness, your own garbage and bile onto this girl. She represents some kind of archetypal whore of Babylon, or something you find deplorable because your idea of what women should be is already totally flawed and twisted. Just give it up.
- R113 wins.
- Britney looks to have some Native ancestry through the eyes and possible black ancestry as well.
Can anyone verify this?
- It's possible.
- Britney doesn't have the album sales, singles success, cultural impact, or critical acclaim that Elvis had.
Madonna, on the other hand has all these plus record breaking touring numbers, Britney doesn't even have that.
Even Britney herself has listed Madonna as her ultimate idol, and after shr saw her drowned workd tour in 2001, Britney said I have so many ideas to us for my show now, basically saying she has new ideas to rip Madonna off.
Yes I know Madonna doesn't have a great voice, but when she's on point she can write and produce great albums. Babyface said that Madonna is a great producer and that if she wasn't a singer she would be an amazing producer, because she can put together and craft a catchy song better than anybody
Both Madonna and Britney's last albums sold about 1.8 million worldwide, the lowest sales in their career. But Madonna has worldwide sales of 320 million records, the biggest selling female of all time, and 4h biggest selling artist in general of all tie, Britney has about 100 million recordd sold.
Madonna's last tour grossed $305 million, the 10th highest grossing tour ever and the second highest grossing for a female after Madonna's $408 million grossing Sticky and Sweet Tour.
Britney's last tour was a dissapointment only earning about $80 million
Perhaps that's why she's gonna take the Vegas gig
- Britney DOES have the cultural impact that Elvis did. She's become a legend.
LA Reid on Britney during X Factor:
[quote]''People go crazy for Beyoncé Knowles and Jay-Z. I've seen them go crazy for Rihanna. But this? Britney has the same magic that made Marilyn Monroe famous, that intangible ability to be completely loved and for people to be completely consumed by her everything.''
- R137 then why ain't people willing to spend good money to see her in concert? I admit she's held on to her fame better than most people who came out at her time but she was neve a game changer when she came on the scene, her performance style was a mixture of Elvis Madonna and Janet.
Name me one critically acclaimed influential album that she's done? I'm not talking about albums that got decent reviews like Blackout or In the Zone, I'm talking about albums where critics were like this is a masterpiece! Madonna has at least 2 of them Like a Prayer and Ray of Light.
Do you honestly believe Britney would ever be inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame? I don't even think she would ever be NOMINATED to get in let alone get in.
And when Anna Nicole Smith was alive, people were constantly comparing her to Marilyn it don't mean that she's a legend or on her level!
- Britney's life is her art, she is the work of art- like Elvis, like Marilyn. r138, we're not talking about institutions here, or statistics. We're talking about when a figure enters the collective consciousness of the nation and even the world. It has nothing to do with sales, even music, but awareness. Britney's music video "Hold it Against Me" tells the story of her symbolic function as a modern icon. Again, nothing to with Britney as a person, but the projections of a world looking at her (both positive and negative).
She is the one of her time.
- r138, Marilyn was regarded as a joke in her lifetime too. Only after death people are suddenly saying "She was the star of stars!" It's not what the critics say - it's what the people perceive and one isn't even talking about success either - but preoccupation with something. There was Marilyn, there was Diana, there is Britney.
- interesting comment from a Fleetwood Mac forum:
[quote]Amy Winehouse's voice and vocalizations convey a particular (individual), sexual and ethnic identification with black pop--as the expressive means to work out her neuroses in a pop idiom. Britney Spears' voice and tone is a definitive sign--a Myth of a particular modern girl. Consequently, even when used sparsely, as a piece of an expensive sound, it always contains the song within the Myth of Britney. Adele is all affectation. Amy and Britney bring humanity to decadent reality. Adele is all decadence. Her psychology is worked out at the buffet.
- R139 so Britney and Anna Nicole Smith are comparable, I'll give you that much. Let's hope Britney doesn't die young though.
She's an icon but she's no legend. And if she does do the Vegas gig and infrequently releases albums she'll soon be forgotten.
Like Jayne Mansfield who was frequently compared to Marilyn.
I can name at least 10 other female performers, who are TRUE legends and above Britney in status, they also have the stats to prove it.
Madonna, Celine, Whitney, Barbra,Diana, Mariah, Janet, Dolly,Cher and Beyonce
- Get a load of R139--trying to posit the theory that Tit-tit is some kind of auteur. Please--she shows up and is told where to stand, what to say, and what to lipsync.
- r142, I'm not talking about an industry, or who is relevant. I'm talking about something that transcends culture entirely. Something in the psyche. She is our narrative. Britney's rise and fall is America's. You seem to be stuck on a more practical minded notion. We're talking about somebody who creates a primitive reaction in people, more so than she understands.
- r143 doesn't get it. Did you even READ my post? BRITNEY does not create herself. WE create her. It makes her the star of her time.
- You can add Kylie to that list, R142, if you're talking worldwide status.
- R140 and worldwide Madonna is more famous than them all. Did Britney, being so culturally influential and all, ever appear on the cover of TIME magazine? Madonna has twice
What impact did Britney have in changing the music industry for female performers? None. Madonna already spearheaded that HUGE change and cultural shift in the early 80 s and now when you say the phrase pop singer instead of thinking of people likr Christopher Cross they think of some sexy FEMALE dance/ pop artist and that is alk because of Madonna
Do college universities have classes and courses dedicated to Britney and her influence on feminism, like they've been doing with Madonna for at least the last 20 years?
Like Susan Sarandon said "the story of women in music can be divided into 2 eras, the pre Madonna era and the post Madonna era".
- Nobody is disputing Madonna's influence on Britney - in fact, they are connected. Madonna gravitated to Britney above all others. Watch the documentary again. Again, this is not a pissing contest.
- r147, this was never about FAME. This is a question of three women fulfilling an archetypal role in our society. Madonna was too self-aware to ever be taken over by this powerful evocative force.
- Here is the full extent of Britney's iconography - a visceral look, voice, dance and palette - an overwhelming experience, to say the least:
- I agree with the posters who see the sadness of Britney Spears' life. And I don't think her eyes are dead at all. If anything, they see too well. If you want to see dead eyes, look at Beyonce.
I used to mock and ignore her and came to appreciate her around BLACKOUT. Now I just feel sorry for her. Talk about trapped. She would have been perfectly happy married to some truck driver raising a litter in a trailer outside of Baton Rouge or whatever. Instead she's trotted out like a seal, as one poster said, to pay her family's bills. Her managers, parents or whoever guides her career have never had the taste or intelligence to help her move beyond the sexy and seventeen image so she's stuck there. I bet she would probably like to grow up, but she will never be allowed to do that. And even if she was allowed her freedom, could she handle it or is she just beyond any help? Another prime example of why parents should not push their kids into show business.
Her life has elements of Whitney Houston, Michael Jackson and Elvis Presley. And I'm not talking about record sales or talent. The other important thing about her is that she was promoted as a sex symbol from the time she was fourteen or so. That has to do a number on you.
- Britney bursting into tears when a fan gives her a poem! She was SO vulnerable 10 yrs ago!
- Oh, goodie! She'll sing her ONE hit song over and over and over again for two hours. "That was my big hit 'Baby One More Time', here's another chart-topper 'Baby One More Time." She was a 90s one-hit wonder has-been. Sorry but true!
- r153, that's a rather toxic perspective I must say.
- R153, Brit is not a one-hit wonder.
You are confusing her with Amy Winehouse.
- Britney was a flash in the pan pop phenomenon. She fell just as quick as she rose. Baby One More Time was her only #1 song in the US for 10 years. She was queen of MTV in early 2000s but she just won her 1st VMA in 2008. She also only has 1 Grammy Award to her name. Michael Jackson got it right when he said she was the 21st century version of Elvis Presley: Southern charm, good looks, likability, & great pop songs. He said he felt sorry for her because it was obvious she was another industry puppet who would eventually burn out and become a nostalgia act loved by all and he was right.
- This thing about Britney being a puppet is terribly insulting and unfounded. Michael Jackson respected Britney enough to have her perform with him at his big bash in 2001 but really, he was hardly of sound perception when judging ANY peer or successor as this clip demonstrates:
- Jackson had alot of room to judge. He was an exceptionally talented man. I don't blame him one bit for resenting the fact that modestly talented people like Britney and Madonna get superstardom while those with exceptional talent (like some of his impersonators/diehard fans for instance) don't make it big. Michael did not hate Britney. He actually liked her hence why he invited her for his anniversary special. He just compared her to Elvis because he saw a certain fragility in her. He didnt like Madonna at all and has made that no secret. He thought she was a mean-spirited person.
- Britney has talent. It's just she went down a certain path. She had a tremendous singing voice as a child and teen - that's how she got signed. I am just galled by this fantasy that she was some no-talent plucked from obscurity. She was making good money for her family from a very young age on the MMC, then in New York musicals. She signed to a label because she had a wonderful voice:
- Britney defending MJ:
- There's a track on Britney's first album that actually retained her pre-stardom voice. Very interesting:
- Michael hated Madonna because she surpassed him.
- She originally wanted to go the Sheryl Crow/Norah Jones/Celine Dion/Toni Braxton route. She wanted to be either a country/folk or adult contemporary singer at first. She wanted more vocal lessons so she could strengthen her voice for power ballads. Her label convinced her that she was too young to go in that direction, and that bubblegum dance-pop was the right lane for her since she had the looks, moves, & sex appeal for it. She went through vocal training with Jive in order to teach her how to stop her Broadway belting. They basically wanted her to unlearn proper vocal techniques. They wanted her to not know how to sing. She had to learn purring in that high-pitched sex kitten voice instead. Britney's real voice is actually much lower and deeper.
- She has a song called Everyday which is an unreleased track from her last album in 2011. It proves she still can sing and that the remnants of belting are still there. She wrote the song. The lyrics are heartbreaking. It's about how her fans and kids have helped her overcome her pain.
Footsteps in the rain, memories wash away. Beyond the headlight glare, it's kind of dark out there. And everywhere I've been, It's hard to find a friend. I've got no alibis for the state I'm in. Everybody needs, needs a place to go. God knows I have seen; it's a twisting, winding road.
Everyday, the sun comes up again. A little hope begins, and it starts with you 'cause you get me through it. And everyday, I'm closer to the shore, I smile a little more and because of your faith, I get closer everyday.
It's hard to recognize, across the great divide
Just what you left behind and what you keep inside. A ripple in the calm, you keep my safe from harm.Somehow you still believe, you believe in me. Where it starts and ends, only time must know. Wherever you will be is where I wanna go.
Every day, the sun comes up again
A little hope begins and it starts with you 'cause you get me through it
And every day, I'm closer to the shore, I smile a little more
And because of your faith, I get closer now every day
'Cause you set me free.'Cause you set me free
- r164, I think that was about Jason? Now they've parted ways, I'm not so sure. I'm fond of this track she wrote during the dark times:
- I'd flip if she ever performed this live again:
- Cover of You Ought to Know
- Some time ago there was a thread on Datalounge that had a link to a page filled with images where fans stood next to Britney and in every picture she had the same facial expression and body pose. It was like the fans were standing next to a cutout display. That was a rather unsettling viewing experience for me.
Caring parents who are free of guilt would give their kids tough love and send them to a mental institute where professionals get to the bottom of the kids' issues. Britney is nothing but a prized cow her daddy parades around for money at county fairs.
- Satisfaction/ Oops - from 2000
- You have to remember that "pop star" is really like Britney's third career. First she was a Broadway actress, then did television for many years and then did the singing thing. I'm sure there were other things she did in between.
- r169, that was the wrong link - here's the performance :-)
I love her coming down the stairs with the hat. If this is not iconic, tell me what is.
- r170, don't forget Britney's brief foray as an art critic and clairvoyant:
- Thanks R171 - I loved that hat!
- Britney was even on Sabrina the teenaged witch
- The Princess paying tribute to the Queen:
- She looked so good there R175
- Nobody cares about this hasbeen except twinks and slutty girls. She's a joke and her Vegas show will flop. Her few fans that she has left didn't even tune in to watch her on X-Factor and her last tour had to cut prices drastically and was selling tickets on Groupon.
She's old news.
- r177, Britney's true fans didn't watch X Factor because it wasn't about Britney.
- Vegas is Britney's chance to do the Blackout tour that never was. She needs to do something akin to a Weimar Republic cabaret.
- Britney has very fews fans left. That's why she bombed on X-Factor. No one cares about her anymore. She never had much talent to begin with.
- 24 million twitter followers r180?
- Britney out of favor is just as compelling to the public as Britney riding high. She's a total pro at this point.
- 24 million twitter followers who didn't support her on X-Factor or purchase tickets to see her concert, R181? She's done nothing but bomb lately. She's over.
- The bitter Madonna fan who keeps on posting over and over again has become tiresome.
I won't believe the Vegas thing until I see it. Britney is starting the publicity train with the candid pics.
The girl is involved in creating her image she's not some defenseless creature. She exec produced Blackout and that was one of the most musically influential albums of the decade accd to numerous music critics.
- I have no idea what adult in their right mind would pay to see a Britney Spear concert. What?!
- Probably the same type of adults that pay for a Madonna, Gaga, Beyonce or Rhianna concert.
- She was in such good shape in 2000.
- r185, adults who appreciate a survivor.
- MY HEART WON'T SKIP. A BEAT!!!!!!
- She is a mind controlled slave who isn't making her own career decisions. The best thing for her, mentally and physically, would be put her out to pasture and leave her alone.
- Amazing. Paul Verhoeven's prophecy came true. Vegas is becoming the mecca for America's iconic sex symbols, not just has-beens. It is becoming the place where superstars GO.
[quote]We could have brought anyone into this show: Janet Jackson, Paula Abdul. Britney Spears is what Las Vegas is all about! She's dazzling, she's exciting, and she's very, very sexy!
How about this incredible orchestration for Britney's show?
- Britney's first boyfriend back in Louisiana looked a bit like Heath Ledger, who declared to have a crush on her. What might have been, eh?
- [quote]"I want you to remember when I sing that I come to you with open arms. Because, you see, you embraced me and for that I'm so thankful.
- I think it's a casino in downtown Vegas...with the homeless!!!
- [quote]I had a face to face with her once and she is really shy.
I had the same experience...she and Kevin Federline (and their bodyguard) were seated at the table next to me at a restaurant in LA once. I wouldn't have even recognized her if it wasn't for Kevin being with her. She was so normal looking, and when she got up to use the restroom at one point, she walked with her head slightly down and looked up with her eyes...so meek and shy. We ended up walking out at the same time, and not a soul bothered them (or even noticed them, from what I could tell). It was nice to see. Totally different than the Britney you see on TV.
- Why do gays like her? She's never done anything for gay rights. Why not try supporting an actual gay singer once in awhile?
- Why do you think gays like her? She's a perpetual target for prejudice.
- She's never done shit but lip sync her way through stage and be stupid.
- R197 That doesn't change the fact she hasn't done shit for gays, so why don't stupid gays try supporting actual gay singers?
- BREAKING NEWS:Britney renews contract ,prolongs the residence for two further years.