- Excuse me! Ex-cuse me!
- Don't forget me, dolls.
- Patti whatsername
- SO, are we going to get any dirt, or what?
- How come no one speaks of Nick Adams? He seems rather naughty.
- Nasty and naughty are two different things.
- WELCOME TO THE THEATAH, YOU FOOLS!
TAKE IN THE RICH FLAVAAAH!
- Since Nicol Williamson died, the title has been owned by Mandy Patinkin.
- What is Joe Mantello like? And Tracy Letts?
- my rich boyfriend will sue you if you bastards mention me
- We need to have nominees and vote for a winner.
So far, we have:
Lauren Bacall hasn't worked on Broadway in the past decade and has no intention of returning, so she's disqualified from this competitive list. And are these women just on the list because they're demanding and/or quirky? Or are they truly nasty?
- Why limit this list to just actors?
- Just wait til I arrive, bitches.
- Oh, that's right, John Benjamin Hickey is supposed to be a jerk. That's essentially him in his character on The Good Wife.
- Victoria screams at the fly techs.... if she's not careful one of them might slam her in the back wall mid flight.
- I can't believe NO ONE has mentioned me. NO ONE.
Terri Sue Feldshuh
- while we are waiting for insiders to reveal all lets play "how would hollywood cast the first 2 nastiest person on Broadway threads"
AMERICAN HORROR STORY 3: BROADWAY BLOODY BROADWAY
BY Ryan MURPHY
LINDA LAVIN played by LILY RABE
LAUREN BACALL played by JESSICA LANGE
IAN McKELLEN played by JOSEPH FEINNES
HELEN MIRREN played by SARAH PAULSON
DAVID STAITAIRN played by DYLAN McDERMOTT
any other ideas?
Ryan Muprhy Productions
- part one
- Buckley may be quite mad, but nasty? Really?
And what did Strathairn do to put him on the list, r19?
Finally, Helen Mirren does not have a nasty reputation, she's known for being just the opposite; so where are you getting that from?
- Mandy Patinkin
- Shirley Maclaine stab Carol Haney in the back during the run of the Pajama Game.
- Shirley wasn't in The Pajama Game. What's the story?
Carol was brilliant, btw.
- Never mind, broadway...Haney still brilliant, died too young.
- r21, on the other NPOB threads the hatred between Helen Mirren and Ian McKellen was discussed in excruciating detail. David S was in a production with them and was kind of not treated well by Ian. Helen Mirren and David Straitarin came off fine, Ian a little bitchy. That is what the post was referring to.
not that THEY were nasty but the situation was.
- Joe Mantello?
No, just no. He is one of the best young directors in the theater world today
- R24 Obviously doesn't know the legendary story about MacLaine going on for Haney in Pajama Game--giving rise to banal lyric in "She's No Longer a Gypsy" (in Applause)----"pulled a Shirley MacLaine."
O tempora! O mores!
- "Shirley wasn't in The Pajama Game. What's the story?"
R24, your show queen card is revoked (if you ever had one).
- Haney never recovered from Shirley's backstabbing backstage at the Pajama Game.
Turned to booze and later died, never getting over what Shirley did to her.
- but wait a second how did Shirley make Haney unable to perform that night? Wasn't she sick? I mean how exactly is Shirley responsible for that. And how well did they even know each other. Shirley says she got to the theater late with her resignation notice in hand after spending the day at Jones beach.
Is that bullshit? What exactly happened?
- Yeah, I had a brain lesion, sorry for the mind slip, r28, r29. As soon as I hit enter it all came to me. Broadway.
I'm recently off caffeine and my crank is slow.
- No, MacLaine was Haney's understudy and there was a situation where Haney had a twisted ankle or something.
- Movie producer Hal Wallis went to see Pajama Game to see Haney in action. Instead he saw Shirley and that is who got the movie contract.
'Coincidence' that Haney couldn't perform on that very night?
- Shirley's rise to the top went something like this:
- I had sex with Joe Mantello in Central Park years ago. He was nice.
- The $10 whore on the corner of 45th St.
- My mommy says, pointing out other people's faults is a character flaw.
- This is Carol minutes after Shirley took over for her in Pajama Game
- Whatever he is, Joe Mantello is not a YOUNG director.
That is all.
- I don't think Betty Buckley is nasty. She actually has quite a nice rep these days, since moving back to Texas - although she is eccentric and needs things to go her way. She has a very good assistant who manages her very well, also.
- Let's be honest. If Hal Wallis had seen Carol Haney, he would not have signed her. She was very talented, but not a face for the big screen.
- R41 = Buckley's assistant/lover.
You know not of what you speak, child.
Now, hush, or else you'll wake the dragon...
- True enough, r42, but Shirley is no beauty either, and should never have been encouraged to sing during her career, since she CAN'T. Once she got her foot in the Hollywood door, she clawed her way to the Rat Pack and never let go.
- r15 wins.
- Betty's assistant is not her lover, I know that much, Miz Bacall.
- True story..... years ago someone on a theater chat board (which must remain anonymous) started posting stories about Buckley giving blow jobs to stage hands backstage at SUNSET BLVD. Buckley's lesbian assistant/manager/ whatever saw the posts and threatenend the owners with legal action. Surprised that those posts lasted as long as they did... since that timethings get zapped on a regular basis.
- [quote]Buckley giving blow jobs to stage hands backstage at SUNSET BLVD.
You say that like it's a bad thing.
The stage hands at Sunset Blvd.
- Please tell me she was wearing the turban.
- R49 She used the turban to collect the cum shots.
- I have to update my chart........
- Caught Betty's act at the Colony Record Store once. I was behind her on line, and the starstruck guy at the register was fawning over her, but in a very nice and respectful way. "Miss Buckley, I love your work, and I must tell you that I was instrumental in our carrying your latest cd." She said not a word, just nodded curtly and stomped out imperiously. So sad. I LOVED her on "Eight is Enough"!
- Betty B unfriended me on Facebook
- Shirley MacLaine was adorable-looking from the mid 50s through the early 60s. No, she wasn't beautiful, like Sophia Loren or Ava Gardner or Katharine Hepburn at her prime, but she was certainly as pretty as, say, Margaret Sullavan, Sylvia Sidney, Jean Arthur, Wendy Hiller, or any number of other ingenues throughout film history. She was a jolie laide with the emphasis on jolie. She was also a very good comedienne; see Ask Any Girl or The Apartment. And, yes, I'm sure she can be insufferable.
- this is a quote from Shirley MacLaine about the situation with Carol Haney
"“…they gave me the understudy job, but I never had a rehearsal. I had thought Carol would go on with a broken neck, so I had decided instead to understudy Gwen Verdon in Can-Can at the Shubert Theater down the street. Then a few nights later, Carol sprained her ankle.
I had my “I’m leaving” notice in my pocket when I arrived at the St. James. Across the stage door stood Jerry Robbins, Bob Fosse, Hal Prince, etc. “Haney is out,” they said. “You’re on.” I couldn’t believe what I was hearing. “I’m on? Without a rehearsal? “
“There I was, waiting in the wings, when the announcer said Carol Haney would be out and I would replace her. There were “boos” from the orchestra to the second balcony.”
So is she lying? I am not inclined to defend Shirley MacLaine but it sounds like some random queens fantasy that she pulled an all about eve.
Is it common knowledge that this story is false?? What gives?
- I think Janis Paige might be the reason some think it was an All About Eve situation. Paige was the female lead in The Pajama Game, but was replaced by Doris Day for the movie version. Paige did some movies but never really made it in that medium. She seemed a little sour about MacLaine's "Star is Born" moment in the Broadway: Golden Age documentary.
Haney, on the other hand, repeated her stage role in the movie of The Pajama Game. So if she "coulda been a contendah", she had that movie as a platform.
- Everybody on Broadway now is too boring to be nasty.
- yeah, kind of a annoying when people make assertions withouteven a story that makes the claim make sense.
I mean are people accusing MacLaine of pulling a "Tonya Harding" on Carol Haney?
Plus the movies that made Shirley a movie star were not musicals and the ones she did were kind of bombs, weren't they?
- [quote]Joe Mantello?
No, just no. He is one of the best young directors in the theater world today
AHAHAHAHAAAA! Oh, my sides, MY SIDES!
- The rumor about Buckley was that she was giving blow jobs at the top of the staircase just minutes before her first entrance.
- I am BIG! It's the loads that got small!
- Omg R61! And this is why I'm addicted to DL. Would you all stop being funny so that I can go make dinner?
- R59 called it.
[quote]one of the best young directors...
Which word is the biggest lie?
Robbie Baitz in Jungle Red
- Linda Lavin to join Sean Haye's new sitcom
- Calling Mantello a director and best is fairly accurate when you look at the other regular directors in NY theater like Chris Ashley, Mark Brokaw, Rob Ashford and Michael Mayer. And if you throw in Trevor Nunn and Julie Taymor, young is fair too.
- Joe Mantello is 50. I don't care who you're comparing him to, fifty ain't young.
- Compared to octogenarian Mike Nichols, 50 is a spring chicken!
- Patti Lupone seems like such a bitter cow. She's not even attractive, I'm sure she's angry about that too.
In a recent Entertainment Weekly article about "Les Miz", she even had something nasty to say about Susan Boyle's rendition of "I Dreamed A Dream" or whatever that song is called. IIRC, PL called Boyle's rendition "fucking crap" or something along those lines. Bitch certainly doesn't mince any words!
I once saw Lupone on TV saying something rude about her own fans, WTF is wrong with this woman?!! With a personality like hers, she should kiss the ground she has any fans!
Patti Lupone has always come across as being extremely bitter that she never made the transition to films or TV. She's so full of herself, it appears she thinks her success should have been way beyond Broadway.
- [quote]omething nasty to say about Susan Boyle's rendition of "I Dreamed A Dream" or whatever that song is called. IIRC, PL called Boyle's rendition "fucking crap" or something along those lines.
She said something along the lines of that was reality TV crap
Patti thought she'd become Barbra..."an actress" how found fame singing on Bway and then went to Hollywood ....she was stunned with the lack of offers post-Evita.
- Well, she's right about Boyle.
- Hey, Patti got her own series after EVITA.
Yeah, she HATED the guy who played her husband, the girl who played her young daughter proved to be a better actress, and all the press attention went to the kid with real Down's Syndrome playing her son, but she did get her own series, and it ran for FIVE years.
That's more than Merman ever got - or Bernadette Peters!
- Daniel Davis
- It wasn't "The Patti LuPone" show, r71. It was about the family, the ensemble.
In fact, she didn't do much of the last season because she was over it by then.
- [quote]Hey, Patti got her own series after EVITA.
She got a series a decade after Evita. She even extended her Evita contract and gave an infamous self-pitying interview in the NY Times lamenting her lack of other offers ...and Evita was such a nightmare how come she extended and did the Austrailian company? hmmmmm
Mandy Patinkin went from Evita right into Ragtime then Yentl....then....
- The TV program, "It's a Life" (or something like that), the husband in it that Lupone did not like was Bill Smitrovich.
I knew his kids in Bridgeport, CT. Can you tell me why Patti didn't get along with him?
- [quote]I knew his kids in Bridgeport, CT. Can you tell me why Patti didn't get along with him?
He didn't indulge her neurotic craziness.
- Bill Smitrovich is NOT a difficult guy to get along with. She wanted to run the whole thing and make it about herself. That was the conflict. And she wasn't sublte about it. At the time she was repped by David Guc and he did many things for Patti no other agent would do including making her look well mannered by comparison. There was never a more loathsome loudmout agent than David Guc. I can still remmeber his whiney voice screaming " 50 thousand dollars???????YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT PATTI LUPPPPPPPPPPPPOOONNNNNNNNNEEEEEEEEEE" when negotiating her contract.
His thinking was she should get top TV dollar even though she hadn't proven herself in the medium.
He was the only person who could make her look like she had manners.
- Chris Burke wrote in his book that Patti LuPone refused to do scenes with him.
Patti would insist Chris acting coach stand in when the camera was on her, then have the acting coach stand in for her when the camera was on Chris. She said she had better things to do as the reason for using a stand in when doing scenes with Chris
The only person Patti got along with was Kelli Martin. Patti would be like a second mom to her, even sing at her wedding and play her mother in a TV movie and on Army Wives.
- I remember that they had the cast sing the theme to "Life Goes On" and Patti was trying to drown out everybody else.
- Patti LuPone may be nasty, but at least she's entertainingly nasty.
But let's not decide who's nasty when Dataloungers say some of the most vile things on the internet in the cloak of anonymity on a daily basis. Just read the Rosa Parks thread if you don't believe me.
- Let's not forget, I always pinched those little kids backstage during GYPSY... I wanted them to be scared of me!
- R80, you sound like it's time for a break from DL.
Not being facetious. I just returned from a year away.
When you can't enjoy a good B'way's nastiest thread, you're officially sick of DL and DLers.
- R81 But Miss Patti, you told us it was to make our cheeks red!
The juvenile cast of "Gypsy"
- Betty is back on a staircase for Dear World. Queen's everywhere swoon.
- If that's Betty Buckley, why does she look like Ed Asner in a dress? Or maybe a much fatter Marion Ross?
- [quote] In a recent Entertainment Weekly article about "Les Miz", she even had something nasty to say about Susan Boyle's rendition of "I Dreamed A Dream" or whatever that song is called. IIRC, PL called Boyle's rendition "fucking crap" or something along those lines.
I wholeheartedly agree!
- [quote]Betty is back on a staircase for Dear World. Queen's everywhere swoon.
Somewhere, Ken Mendelbaum is splooging all over his Dell computer monitor.
- Is it "splooge" or "spooge"? Or "splooj"?
- Patti says that when they did their screen test together, Lupone felt tired and couldn't get the scene right. When they called for a brief break, Smitrovich came over, rubbed her shoulders and told her not to worry because they were perfect together. Patti felt it was condescending and the rub inappropriate. That was it for a good relationship. She had nothing but nice things to say about Burke. He even went to the GYPSY opening night, where they posed for pics together. She also adored the first Paige Thatcher, but doesn't even mention the second one.
Now I've heard Daniel Davis can be nasty, but if you read Ken Levine's blog, apparently Fran Drescher was no walk in the park either. That surprised me.
- on the agent side, the nastiest person is BY FAR John Buzzetti - he is without friends & forces his clients to be his friends or he will drop them
- Victoria is not making any friends backstage at the Broadway.
- The thread (with its title intact) would've made a much better television show than "Smash."
- R89, I went through Levines blog and found lots of references to Fran. Clearly he doesn't like her, but why? I couldn't find a particular reason he gives as to why.
- Is it Pattie Loop-own or Pattie Loop-own-i?
Enquiring minds couldn't care less. On the other hand, IT'S ME.
- Cinderella is so so so awkward and bad. Vicki Clark looked like she was in PAIN during her bizarre flying moments.
- r95: Two questions for you, Please.
What are the interpolated songs?
What songs from the original were cut?
Thanking you in advance! :)
Please tell us more about John Buzz(kill)etti! I've heard a few stories about this storied agent but would love to know some more.
- Is Buzzetti really worse than George Lane? I thought he was supposed to be the antichrist.
- R96, please post general theatre questions in the appropriate thread. This one isn't for Cinderella bashing (though it's a terrible show).
- The usher at the Hirschfeld
- R94, you don't pronounce the final "e.". Loo-Pohn. Long o as in "Oh, nO, it's Patti LuPOne!"
- Terri Klausner
- Tovah Feldhuh aka Vulva Toadstool
- The nastiest people on Broadway aren't the stars, it's people on Datalounge and TalkinBroadway and all those sites full of bitter, uncreative gays who've wasted their lives being bitter and uncreative.
This thread is proof. Carry on your creepiness, boys.
- bite me.
- Ah, but the difference, r105, is that it's contained to message boards.
The Nastiest People on Broadway are out there, doing their jobs, and being nasty to people. And there ARE people who qualify. A lot of the ones who get outed here are simply having a bad day and someone who experiences it writes about it.
But the LuPones, Lanes, Neuwirths ... those are real nasty people.
- More than in your face NASTY people there are the passive aggressives and the malignant narcissists that are FAAAB as long as you are their biggest fan and reflect the image they have of themselves.
- WTF r108?
[quote] More than in your face NASTY people there are the passive aggressives and the malignant narcissists that are FAAAB as long as you are their biggest fan and reflect the image they have of themselves.
- I nominate the Camryn Manheim lookalike usher at the Golden. That bitch is the most sour, malodorous, stanky, putrid waste of ectoplasm to ever stain broadway.
- Betty's latest review;
- R108 means that the really awful people are lovey dicey as long as you are kissing their ass. But try to assert yourself or imply that your needs are as important as theirs they go ballistic.
- 112 - you've been warned. i'm fully buffered by the buffet and I'm coming after you full steam ahead!
- Being fat is just your excuse, so people talk about that and not how completely narcissistic and self-absorbed you are.
Liz, cooking with gas
- Does Shia count?
- R19, I'd rather see Ian McLellan played by Helen Mirren.
- R108 is that you E.D.?
- Today, the nastiest person on Broadway! Tomorrow, the hottest person in hell!
- Victoria Clark currently in Rodgers + Hammerstein's Cinderella. Biggest cunt in the magic kingdom.
- Stories, R119? I'm torn between being disappointed (knew her fairly well in college, and she was a great person in every way then) and intrigued (what the fuck does fame do to people, anyway?).
- Fame? Fame hasn't done anything to Vicky Clark except pass her over lightly and then completely abandon her.
- This thread is REPLETE with envy. It's quite sad.
- Let's hope you drown your sadness in booze, R122, and fall off a trestle in front of a train. We'd like the tracks to be REPLETE with those nine donuts you had for supper, along with your chunks and bits.
- R71, I'm sorry I never found the time to appear in a second-rate television show for five years. I was too busy starring in the premieres of such hits as Girl Crazy, Anything Goes, DuBarry Was a Lady, Panama Hattie, Annie Get Your Gun, Call Me Madam and Gypsy over a 30-year period.
- Patinkin and Lupone are the nastiest of the nasties.
Proving that to be consummately nasty you also have to be insane.
- Agree 125.
- Along with Betty Buckley, Mandy Patinkin is from all reports certifiably insane rather than "nasty." There is a difference ;-)
- I may be a cunt, but I am a SANE cunt! Keep me away from the psychos!
- Was Carol Haney's widower Larry Blyden?
- Yes, r129. They had a son, who died a few years ago.
- What's the story on Alice Ripley? I can't help but raise an eyebrow every time I saw her moniker (RIPLEYTHBAND) appear in the comments section of either Youtube or any article criticizing her performances. I wonder where does all that hate/bitterness is coming from.
- Ditto at 127. Betty Lynn, Mandy, Christine Ebersole and Bebe Neuwirth are weird, but not necessarily nasty. Betty is particularly nice to her fans.
Borderline cunts include (but not limited to) Elaine Paige, Victoria Clark, Natascia Diaz, Tovah Feldshuh, Jennifer Holliday, Laura Benanti...
Bacall, LuPone, Stritch, Lavin, Nathan Lane and Melissa Errico on the other hand ... well, go figure. But at least the ones in the third group (minus Errico) are Broadway stars of the highest order. I can't tolerate cunts who are merely famous for being, well, cunts.
- Anyone who thinks Mandy Patinkin is not nasty deserves to be on the receiving end of one of his targeted, insulting, hysterical rants about creativity, being squelched, not being appreciated, and being THE ONE PEOPLE ARE PAYING TO SEE before they snark and coo over the non-nastiness of his insanity.
What a bunch of quibbling asses here.
- R124, Oh please, Ethel. Just face it, you're simply not camera-friendly, are you? THAT IS WHY.
- r132, that's the first time I've heard Elaine Paige called cunty - can you share any stories?
- R135, have you listened to her BBC Sunday radio show online? Her laugh is downright sinister and she's as fake as it gets.
- R135, It happened to a friend of an acquaintance. I can't remember the exact details; the person who told the story said that after a performance of Sunset Blvd, her friend said "hi" to Elaine. She simply snubbed him and walked past as if she saw nothing.
There is also the possibility that the guy is probably hounding Elaine night after night and she simply got sick of it.
- Jenna Russell tells a story of how she worked with Elaine Paige on the first ABBA jukebox musical, and blurted out to Elaine one night: "You're really nice, you know... Everyone said you'd be a cunt." Russell was something like 15 at the time, which explains the faux pas.
Paige explained that living like a nun because of the vocal demands of EVITA led to a "she thinks she's too good to socialise with us" reputation among the chorus.
- Dana Ivey seems to have retired.
- who's being NASTY this Tony season. Only Nelle Nugent ?
- Elaine Paige is definitely an insufferable cunt of the highest order. She has a massive ego and is truly a nasty, evil bitch who uses and abuses people. Manipulative as hell, too!
- Any specific Paige stories, r141?
- bumps for bway nasties
- Paige seemed to get on VERY well with Ron Raines. He's married, isn't he?
- Raines is very happily married.
- I don't understand these Lupone, Patinkin are not ghetto thugs why doesn't anybody say fuck off. If they were nasty to me they would have gotten a quick fuck off cunt from my mouth.
- Outside the stage door at Symphony Hall one evening in 1989, after a Boston Pops performance with guest artists Barbara Cook and Mandy Patinkin . . . fans swarmed around Barbara for photos and autographs, while Mandy just stood there alone like an abandoned child.
What's your line of business?
- I worked with Elaine Paige for several months and she was adorable and sweet in every way. Never once saw her cunt-like. If anything, she was deferential.
- Raul Esparza hit the children who were playing his children during a performance of CHITTY CHITTY BANG BANG. He also badmouthed Rosie O'Donnell while TABOO was in previews.
- Sherie Renee Scott has a reputation for being cold, aloof and self-centered. She was pretty much shunned by the cast of WOMAN ON THE VERGE, and wasn't any more popular over at LITTLE MERMAID. Is it no wonder that she now only does solo shows?
- [quote] He also badmouthed Rosie O'Donnell while TABOO was in previews.
Boy George recounts Rosie's ridiculous micromanagement in his memoir. Esparza in particular had good reason to gripe.
- R152 as Rosie said, "My money, my way." She was right, he was wrong.
- "Ditto at 127. Betty Lynn, Mandy, Christine Ebersole and Bebe Neuwirth are weird, but not necessarily nasty."
Christine Ebersole does not belong on this list. She is not "weird." And here's another vote in favor of Elaine Paige -- a lovely lady.
- Are there two of these threads?
The other one ended with some gripes against Dana Ivey.
- Sorry to say
and I am SORRY
Yes Christine is weird... but she is also (or can be - and I have seen on 2 separate occasions) the Terrible Bitch C--- that she is!
And of course Bebe is at the Top of the list. It is a wonder she even got half the things she has accomplished with that Nasty attitude.
And since it says on Broadway for this thread.
Producer David Stone can head that section.
- Nicol Williamson - I was reading this thread out loud to my friend and when I read that name he just yelled "THAT CUNT!!!"
He used to work in the West End in various jobs - he has a couple of specific stories, but his general theme was that Williamson just destroyed morale and team-spirit on every project that "great actor" ever worked on...
- Is it pronounced "Nickel" or "Nicole"?
- R150 both the children still keep in touch with Raul so I doubt that. I met the girl at Cap 21 and she had only positive things to say about him.
- It's "Nickel."
- And what a nasty piece of work Nicol was. Bat shit crazy, essentially, and unpleasant with it all.
- I don't think Sherie Rene Scott is particularly nasty, but she may be cold, aloof, and unfriendly. When she was in her one-woman show at the Roundabout she gave the single most inarticulate interview I've ever seen on NY1 Moron Stage. And on NY1 that's saying a lot.
- The only interview I've ever seen of hers that really gives an idea of who Sherie really is was a long one on BroadwayWorld not too long ago. She's wacky but I think it all comes from a good place. It seems she enjoys doing solo shows most. By far.
- anyone else ever heard Chita Rivera curse up a storm? It's a thing to behold.
- Oh no. Chits with a dirty mouth? I refuse to believe it!
- Really, R150, you shouldn't spread gossip like that without being sure.
- R164 A good stream of curse words can be fun--but is she nasty in the sense of being mean? Goes against her public image, certainly, and the reports of those who have talked about working with her.
- Elaine Paige has two personalities - her "American" persona, where she's sweet and deferential (she's smart enough to realize her name doesn't carry the weight over here that it does in England - she's not on a par, name-wise, with LuPone, Peters, etc).
Then there's Elaine on her home turf, where she is very similar to what r 141 describes. I wouldn't call her "evil" or "abusive," but she definitely manipulates people, and treats you in proportion to how "important" she deems you to be. She's had a few hard knocks at home, though - the fact that she couldn't keep "Drowsy Chaperone" alive beyond a couple of months was a huge blow to her ego - so she's not quite the "Elaine the bitch" of the old days.
- I think this has been mentioned before, but Elaine Paige came to my school and we were instructed to give her a standing ovation upon her entrance to the classroom. We weren't told to do the same for Alan Cumming, so it most likely came from her side.
- Brian J Smith
- Please R89, more Nanny gossip on Davis and Drescher! Please!
- I have a lot of friends who work in the theater. Have never heard a bad word about Chita, in fact all of them rave about how lovely she is. When I have seen her off stage she was warm and nice. No one I know has a nice word for Ebersole and one friend who worked with her thinks she is the meanest person he has ever known in the theater. I saw Sherie Rene Scott with Jason Robert Brown and Norbert Leo Butz they were friendly with each other and with me. Also saw John Lithgow palling around with Scott after Everyday Rapture. Just because mean girls Lupone and Benanti didn't like Sherie doesn't mean she is nasty. Scott had to carry a show that wasn't working, that isn't easy.
- R167, she's not mean with her cursing. Rather she uses it to great effect....but she can really string together a series of salty words that would make a sailor blush.
- David Stone is the worst!
- R170. What's the dish on Brian? He's in rehearsals with the blessed Cheery and weiredette Zachary. More please.
- R175, not R170 here, but I have heard that BJS is a major closet case despite having been in gay roles before, and perhaps being best known for them even. Closeting would be fine I guess, so many actors do it, but I've heard that BJS is very tired of the question because of the past gay roles and has taken to being nasty about the whole thing.
- Shhh, R174. We call him Lord Voldemort.
- aND NOW SILENCE
- R179. You gotta do better than this if you want to keep a dying thread alive.
- Maybe there isn't anyone nasty left on Broadway. They've all gone off-Broadway.
- r181 that made my day.
Tovah's Picnic Basket
- There's gotta be nasty somewhere off-Broadway. Put your thinking caps on, girls, and dish.
- This is pathetic
- Did we ever discuss the Sutton Foster/Kelli O'Hara feud?
- Neil Patrick Harris is a nasty cunt in real life.
- R186. As nasty as Jesse Eisenberg?
- A famous actress took voice lessons from Victoria Clark for a musical she was doing. Vicki was so awful to her that she wanted to quit the show. That's all I got.
- r188 - Kim Catrall?
- R165 reminds me, what exactly is the Liza Minnelli/Chita Rivera thing. Did they get along or not get along? Or am I thinking of Rita Moreno, that Forbidden Broadway parody has me confused...
Two words: Lisa Mordente.
- the Liza/Lisa rumours are just that. Rumours.
Hunter Ryan Herdlicka. Now there's a piece of work. Besides handling Elaine Stritch, what has this closet-dwelling queen done since Night Music (in which he was snoozy)?
- How exactly did he "handle" Stritch. I see their names linked together a lot, but how do they know each other?
- R150, that's an old false rumor about Raul. Don't you think that would've blown up in the press/Equity lawsuits if it were true? It is true, however, that Marc Kudisch gave a used scooter to one of the Chitty kids for the cast's holiday gift swap.
- Nice to see this thread alive again. thanks r192
- People come...People go, but this thread will always belong to Linda Lavin...
- you'e welcome, R195! Started just bc I wanted see if anyone else has stories about Hunter Ryan Herdlicka. I had such a negative experience with him in 2011. He makes my flesh crawl.
- Hunter Ryan Herdlicka claims to be straight, r192??
- What happened, R197?
- He really should just go by Hunter Ryan.
We were at the after-party of a show starring _________, and he hit me up on grindr. Decided to meedt up by the bar. After ascertaining I couldn't do anything for him career-wise, he turned around and walked away from me mid-sentence.
I'm friendly with __________, and while I was saying goodbye and making lunch plans with her, who pops up but HRH, only this time super friendly and ingratiating and huggy, pulling out his cell phone for a pic and handing her his contact info (which she tossed before leaving).
Oh, and yes, he's described himself as straight before. Oyyyyyy.
- He sounds like a class act, all the way.
- Clark's still talking about that G&D experience? That's not very wise. Nathan Lane is the King of Broadway...
- Clark herself isn't exactly one of Broadway's beloved icons. She's got herself a similar reputation and this covering ancient ground about Nathan won't exactly endear her to the few people left who adore her... Clark's still got a long way to reach the shit that Lavin dishes out, but she's fast catching up to her.
- honestly, what kind of career does he expect to have with the last name "Herdlicka"? Even if he went by Hunter Ryan it would be easier to swallow. At least Ben Rimalower's is only funny to gay men.
Herdlicka. What the hell are you gonna do with a name like Herdlicka?
- I've found Hunter Herdlicka to be slimy and gross, but not maliciously nasty. He's about career climbing.
- Michael Hartman!
- [quote]Michael Hartman!
Done. Taken care of!
Anyone know who's getting the accounts for all those shows? His implosion is going to be someone else's goldmine.
- R192, HRH is a for sure a loathsome star-fucker and a user, but as far as I know, he is NOT in the closet. Why do you say he is?\t
- I've spent some time with Bebe. I found her charming, intelligent and downright pleasant. Given her reputation, I was astounded.
My friends who know Betty Lynn all say she's loopy but not a bitch.
And Vicky Clark is beloved by many. Not sure why she shows up on so many shit lists here on DL, but she's got nothing on many on this list, including and especially:
-Joe Mantello (the screamer)
-Arthur Laurents (RIP), who worked recently enough on Broadway to still merit appearing on this thread. A real prick.
All very talented. It's when they're not and assholes that the real problems begin.
And I've heard Dana Ivey is a piece of work as well. Has she really retired? She's very talented. Not nice, but talented.
- Has the current Theatre Gossip Thread been removed? I can't seem to retrieve it and it's been very slow moving for about two weeks. There was something on it about what a bitch Sarah Paulson is. I need to know if she's of the order of Linda Lavin, Marlo Thomas, and/or Bebe Neuwirth. It's a cinch she can't top Betty Perske. No one can.
- The thread is there, it's just been slow because of the holidays. Here's a link.
- Thanks, R211. Can't believe the queens have all left town, or maybe they are buried in the snow. Fantasia asked me to bump this thread, even though it's slow going for her.
- Primetime always fucks up the theatre threads.
- Bebe has some fascinating stories to tell in this recent BroadwayWorld interview. This might be the most she's ever disclosed, actually. It is long.
Does the writer include the compliment from the interviewee as he does in every fucking interview ("This was fun, Tim", "you're great, Tim", "Tim, this was delightful" etc.)?
- "performative prowess"? This person is clearly not a journalist.
- But it's no longer 2013, is it?
- Ax to grind much, R215/R216? Link to your blog? Also: "performative prowess" is perfectly correct as used here according to Merriam-Webster.
Sorry to ruffle your feathers, but I hate the tone of that interview series. It reeks of fangurl. I prefer interviews that strike a balance between fannish "enthusiasm" and journalistic professionalism. I'm surprised emoticons aren't used by the writer.
- R219, here's some simple advice then: don't read them. I am not aware of any other series on the internet or otherwise in print with pieces as extensive and subjects as diverse. The relaxed tone usually means the subjects feel free to reveal more... as can clearly be seen in that evidently career-best interview from Bebe. So, again: link to your blog?
I don't have a blog. I appreciate the interviews in some aspects, and I don't in others. I've expressed that, as is my right. Perhaps I should apologise for not indulging in a squeefest. Perahps I should, but I won't.
- Anything on Michael Cerveris?
- Or, R221, perhaps you could discuss Bebe and the heretofore unheard stories she shares in the article and make a valid contribution to the thread instead of criticizing an interview style you say you dislike, adding exactly nothing at all. Or not. Maybe a blog would be a good idea for you after all... just a thought.
- Costume designer Cathy Zuber.
- r223 Perhaps you could start a poll on what constitutes a valid contribution to this thread.
There was nothing about nastiness in Neuwirth's interview. Should it even be mentioned on this thread at all? Just a thought.
- Uh, R225, the point of posting the article was to show how NOT nasty Bebe actually is, as other posters here have said, with her generously sharing extensive memories and personal insights from her career and generally coming off very pleasant, but clearly you have missed that point. If you don't like it, don't read it.
You are absolutely clueless if you think an interview - part of Neuwirth's job - reveals what she's really like as a person/co-worker. I'm actually embarrassed for you over that piece of naivete.
- Girls! Girls! You're both hideous.
- So is Sarah Paulson as insightful and informative as Bebe? That's all I want to know!
- There's a good video interview with Paulson on Broadway.com (it's on their youtube channel as well). She comes across as fun and not a whiny pill.
- "A piece of naivete," indeed, R227! Still contributing nothing, I see... moving on...
Oh, and: I'm SO embarrassed! What stupid logic.
I reiterate: get a blog.
Trolldar reveals you spew nothing but bile in every thread, so it is to be expected. Tell us again how ugly Jason DeRulo is - on your new blog, that is. Kisses.
- If you're moving on, why did you post the rest of it?
- R232? Get. A. Blog.
- I've never been so offended.
- congratulations you two bitches for killing this thread
- a friend still tells of Lauren Bacall's nastiness in Waiting in the Wings. Performance was great, but a holy terror backstage
- heard that many times about Betty but the stories don't sound credible
- R236. Performance of Betty in Waiting in the Wings was far from great. She could barely walk across the stage, and she was outacted by Rosemary Harris at every utterance. Bacall was, regardless of her persona, badly miscast.
- I've only dealt with Stritch passingly (her gay friend Hunter is a piece of work though).
I did produce a project with Victoria Clark and while my own interaction wasn't much, the word on the set was she was pleasant and funny, even while doing material that (I admit) was beneath her.
- R239, dish please. I've had my own run-ins with the stupidly named Hunter Ryan Herdlicka, and am always interested in others' interactions with him.
- new season, new nasties?
- "Anything on Michael Cerveris?"
By virtually all accounts, he seems to be a very nice guy, R222. He used to be a bit of a ladies man, though.
I've heard Michael Beresse can be a nightmare. Any truth to that? Whatever happened to him, anyway?\t
- No nasties this season
- so what is the Hanke disappearance true story
- Foa = famous (in a small way).
Hanke =/= not famous.
- Hanke just doesn't play gay convincingly.
- R224- I can say from personal experience that Zuber is indeed the THE nastiest piece of shit that ever stepped foot in a theatre-she actually spit, yes, spit at me once......never again......she is a total see you next tuesday.......die just die.......
- no one nasty this Tony season? I don't believe that for a second
- John Benjamin Hickey definitely deserves this title.....I'm curious how deep his rage is that Joe Mantello got an honorary cameo in Normal Heart and Hickey didn't!!!!!!!
- I've also heard awful things about Zuber but I thought her rage was mostly just directed at her assistants and lesser female stars.
- I'm glad Michael Cerveris is a nice guy, but he's indicative of the dearth of compelling leading men in Bway. WTF? Where are the exciting, magnetic, sexy, multi-talented leading men?
- bumping for nasties.
- apparently no one has been nasty since May
- still no nasties?
- I think it is pretty difficult to top the first and second "Nastiest Person on Broadway" threads which are now a few years old.
There were genuine insiders on those threads. EVERYONE in the business read them
- everyone, r255?
- The true nasties work in the other, more lucrative entertainment industries. The people in the theatre are nice.
- r256, my partner is an entertainment lawyer. "The Nastiest People on Broadway" threads were how I discovered Datalounge in the first place.
When the threads were active my partner got an email from a colleague that went as follows:
"have you heard of this site "datalounge"?
and the link to the thread.
My partner hit "reply all" and lo and behold the sender forgot to make private the list he/she was emailing and it included several big names in NY theater.
Not long after, parts of the threads that discussed a legendary actress in unflattering and accusatory terms were redacted [if I told you why it would be removed]
Also removed were some key facts about an understudy drama that involved some very famous names. Can't say more about those subjects.
I am just offering this not to tease but to let r256 know that while it is certain "everyone" did not read those threads, certainly some rich and powerful people with connections did.
r257, I love your dry wit.
- Why are people so afraid of that producer of one of the biggest grossing musicals (*) currently on Broadway? People are afraid to identify him by name.
(*) Not THE LION KING
- [quote]Not long after, parts of the threads that discussed a legendary actress in unflattering and accusatory terms were redacted [if I told you why it would be removed.
Fair enough but by "legendary" you could only mean a few people mentioned in that thread.
Was the "legendary" name taken out of the thread completely? You say "parts of" does that mean all the parts of the thread identifying the person?
Also, the understudy drama is probably the rumor that Nathan got one of Matthew's standbys fired during the producers? Just guessing as the original threads are now gone but this was mentioned on the current theater gossip thread.
Give me some more gossip to entertain me as I have go back to my "legendary" cubicle tomorrow.
- Linder Lavvin. McKellin-Strathearn-Mirrin
- [quote]My partner hit "reply all" and lo and behold the sender forgot to make private the list he/she was emailing and it included several big names in NY theater.
Darling, You made my day: finally a DL'r who knows "Lo and behold" is not LOW and behold"
My Mother thanks you...
My Father thanks you...
But most of all I thank you...
- not to be rude, but is Linder Lavina really considered a "legend"
- Yet your partner didn't notice that he was sending a reply to a bunch of people instead of the one who was asking him a question? How professional.
- It might have been the S&M stuff about Pandy Matinkin.
- Maybe he has sausage fingers.
- r264 , hit "reply all" just to see who else was getting the mail which was obviously a group email. Sometimes people forget to make the information only for the sender.
btw, it wasn't like it was a heavy piece of gossip or a legal document. Just a link to DL
- those threads were driven by theater insiders. Maybe they did so thinking Datalounge was really on the DL and not enough people read it to make posting risky.
Now that "everyone" has read the threads it is unlikely any insiders will post here again for fear of being found out.
- how could they get found out?
- [quote]Why are people so afraid of that producer of one of the biggest grossing musicals (*) currently on Broadway? People are afraid to identify him by name.
Rott Scudin? Stavid Done? Either fits the bill. And the reason they're afraid of them is pretty simple. They're vindictive, paranoid rageaholics with enemies lists.
- valdemort got married
- And his hubby is adorable.
- [quote] And his hubby is adorable.
Pics or it didn't happen.
- Broadway is too boring. With no big personalities on the boards there are no notably nasty characters right now.
Except Nathan, of course. But I haven't heard any new stories about him since his PRODUCERS heyday.