- I think she's been out for a few months here (longer in the UK) but just discovered Emeli Sande. She sounds great!
- The albums I am so looking forward to this year are:
Widowspeak - Almanac
Lisa Germano - No Elephants
Throwing Muses - Paradise / Purgatory
Tara Jane O'Neil, I donated @ Kickstarter
Thalia Zedek - Via
Maybe some new albums from Scout Niblett, Joanna Newsom, PJ Harvey.
BUT!! I'm so excited about is Shannon Wright, In Film Sound. The new song Mire is awesome.
- I'm looking forward to the new Jonatha Brooke.
- Marnie Stern jams out with her clam out.
- R6 Cool, I just found someone via Bandcamp too.
Mister Lies - great electronica tune and samples a bit of Joni Mitchell.
- I heard Destiny's Child is reuniting for an album in 2013. Oh, and of course JT's new album.
- I hope there's new Goldfrapp this year? I think there's supposed to be.
- Hopefully Dirty Beaches will have a new full length out this year.
- The new The Knife album. The lead single has leaked and it is bonkers in its amazingness!
- Shaking the Habitual? Sounds cool.
- Lisa Germano? I thought she was dead.
Sarah Dead Dog Maclachlan
- Mazzy Star is suppose to have a new album out this year.
- I'm also looking forward to new stuff from Lisa Germano. "From a Shell" is one of my favorite songs.
- Suede - "Bloodsports" out March 18!
- I'm looking foward to:
New Black Keys!
New David Bowie!
New Depeche Mode!
Atoms for Peace. The Thom Yorke/Nigel Godrich/Flea/Joey Waronker collaboration.
I'm also curious to hear the new Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, although the loss of Mick Harvey, I think, is going to hurt.
Of course, I'll love hearing the new My Bloody Valentine, although I'm not holding my breath that it'll actually be out any time soon.
- Young Galaxy
- Kate Earl - Stronger
- Indie band We Are the Woods just released a new CD Whales and Roses
- [quote]I'll love hearing the new My Bloody Valentine
Christ, how long do you think it'll be? Supposedly they finished mastering on 12/24, but....
Kevin Shields is a liar
- Yamantaka/Sonic Titan
- Can't wait for the new Diana Ross album!
- Sally Shapiro
- Can't wait for the new Shannon Wright record, been a big fan since Crowsdell.
- The new Foxygen album is excellent.
- I did not like Blood Orange's album, but he co-wrote two incredible songs which are hits in the making. Here's one:
- And here's the other; yes, I know, "stop trying to make Solange happen." But this is REALLY good.
- Olly Murs will be releasing his new CD in the US in the spring. It's already a big hit in the UK.
- Alice Smith has a new album out soon. The first single is fab.
- Macklemore, bitches!
- Emeli Sande's album Our Version of Events is unbelievable.
- Loving the new Widowspeak album.
- High Highs just released their official debut album "Open Season" on Jan. 25th. Great new band!
- I love this band.
Rhye - "The Fall"
- HAIM, Ms Mr, Neon Hitch, Sky Ferreira for the win!
- Must agree with Emile Sande. Sign up for Spotify for a free spin. The album is just great. New Bowie soon, too.
- Torres is fantastic!
- Emeli Sande's album Our Version of Events is unbelievable - Low brow, bland, boring? Yes it is.
- Keaton Henson - "Lying To You"
- I'm SO into Father Tiger. Like George Michael, Stephen Merritt and Adam Levine circle-jerked and had a baby.
- The Knife - Full of Fire.
- Rhye - "Open"
- MOAR PLZ
- Icona Pop
- Wow, she is wonderful. Thanks, R38!
- Yeah Yeah Yeahs new album "Mosquito"
- KATE BOY
- Anyone here likes John Grant? His new album will be out any day now.
- OMG R11 me want want want! The Knife will slay all, yes. That was the one I was most interested in.
Great to see some MBV fans here - I like that they put the album to buy on their website. Talk about long awaited! But they did have that recent comeback tour and some great reissues, like those essential EPs.
I'm still loving the music from last year, best year for music in a while: Crystal Castles, Beach House, Grimes, Regina, Bill Fay, The XX, Tame Impala.
- What a pretentious list....meh!
- Love it R28, one of the best songs of last year. She has no right to be, but cooler than her sister at least.
- Jessie Ware - the entire album is great. (thanks Jon)
- I like Sabotage on the new Suede album. Overall the album is great and has the good rock glam vibe Suede is known for.
- New single from Austra!
- Dirty South, "Your Heart"
- Music and book threads are a huge reason why I keep coming back to DL. Some of the best recommendations I've ever had have come from posters here.
- Scottish Indie Band Frigthened Rabbit's latest album Pedestrian Verse features a track called Escape Route that has the following lyrics:
His first kicking came on January 1st
They said, “Welcome to the club,
we’ll take your shoes and your shirt.”
He wore his nosebleed like a red rosette
And it was a prize he would win again and again and again.
He had to find an escape route.
It was a rumour, but it soon became true
When he was drunk in the suburbs
with a boy from a different school.
All his good friends soon left him for dead
Now he stands staring down at the Clyde from a bridge
And then he saw an escape route
From the dogs of West Renfrew
From the bitches and bruises
He chose Ohio to run to.
- New girl group Kiara 7. Catchy tune. Out April 9th on itunes.
- New girl group Kiara 7. Catchy tune. Out April 9th.
- I love Austra. I had no idea Kate was putting new music out.
- Trst "Gloryhole"
- Rachel Zeffira - "Here On In"
- Vintage Trouble - "Nobody Told Me" - SXSW 2013 Showcasing Artist
- R2 and 36 have it. I'm eagerly awaiting the Haim album. The two singles have been the best pop songs I've heard for years, they will be difficult to top.
Third single "Falling" also great, I got all of them. They're like a new Fleetwood Mac, kinda similar to The Pierces but better.
- Phosphorescent - "Song For Zula"
- Anything by Jessie Ware and Haim seem to be perfection. I hope they break out in the US like they have in Europe.
Some possibilities for acts that may hit breakout:
- Still Corners - "Berlin Lovers"
- And your recommendation, R51, is...which one?
- I love this thread!
- r70, I like the track called Leaves Start Trembling from their latest album.
- I'm really, really enjoying the latest Yo La Tengo album, Fade.
- I like the PJ Harvey feel of The Veils 'Time Stays, We Go' (love the tracks Through the Deep Dark Woods, The Pearl, and Another Night on Earth). Though I only discovered this this year, but it was apparently released in 2012.
- The Feathers song is great, but the video is giving me bad Wilson Phillips 'Hold On' vibes (and so not good vibes like the Madonna video for Frozen) .
- Laura Mvula
- Waxahatchee is singer/songwriter Katie Crutchfield. She is awesome!
- I really like Phosphorescent (Mentioned by R68)
- Debut album from AlunaGeorge drops June 13!
- More AlunaGeorge!
- Some interesting electronica coming out of the Bay
- Rebeka - "Melancholia"
- LOVE the new Shannon Wright album- In Film Sound. Uber cool.
Also really digging Marnie Stern - The Chronicles of Marnia.
Can't wait for the new albums by
Scout Niblett - It's Up to Emma
Dirty Beaches - Drifters / Love Is The Devil
- Aliuna Francis is a fierce bitch. Love her!
- Youth Lagoon
- Alison Moyet's album, "the minutes" is one of the best electronic albums ever produced!!! She deserves awards for it.
- I am absolutely in love with High Highs new album, another great one is City Calm Down, they have a fantastic 6 song EP out.
- Hey R90, if you like the High Highs, you should def check out Rhye @ R35 and R43.
- Has anyone listened to Janelle Monae's new song?
- I agree with R81. The new Alison Moyet album is unexpectedly brilliant. Her voice is in great shape, as usual, but this is the best material she's worked with in ages.
- Pistol Annies were good on Letterman the other night.
I've been aware of Miranda for several years, but wasn't familiar with this group. I liked their song enough to check out the new album.
- That should be R88, not R81.
- Thanks R91, really liking Rhye and Haim.
- John Grant's "Black Belt" deserves to be HUGE!
- Owl Eyes - "Closure"
- LOVE JAMES BLAKE!
- JAMES BLAKE!
- It's been a good year for new music so far.
I'm absolutely obsessed with the new Knife album, "Shaking the Habitual." Some will hate it - it's a mix of very dark/weird dance music, and some really out-there ambient/noise that at times sounds more than anything else like a movie soundtrack. But it's very, very compelling.
Other new stuff I've been digging out in just the last few weeks: Kurt Vile, Flaming Lips, Deerhunter, Vampire Weekend, Atoms for Peace.
- Chad Valley?
I've never heard of him before tonight, but by chance I found one of his songs under the free singles on the Amazon MP3 site.
He's a chubby ginger Brit with sweaty balls (at least in the attached live studio clip). His voice sounds a lot like Roland Orzabal from Tears For Fears, but it looks like he's a 'one-man-with-a-keyboard' kind of musician. And the music is more synthpop than Tears.
Not sure when the new album was released in the US (might have been last November), but on his site it says he just finished up a month-long promotional tour of several U.S. cities. Just my luck that I'm finding out about him literally 2 weeks after his show here in my town.
Anyway, I checked a bunch of his stuff on youtube, and I'm happy to have a new artist that I like. Well, I like some of it.
"Tell All Your Friends" - Chad Valley
- AlunaGeorge is gonna be huge
- Yes R92, I listened to it, quite liked it -Q.U.E.E.N.
Like her music, her style, her presentation, her message... If she's on the screen my eyes are following her.
- Also like the new Lana Del Rey track, "Queen of Disaster."
- What about Of Mountains and Men? They're pretty great and touring with Haim.
- James Blake is a bore.
- Still Corners is my new favorite band. Check them out people.
- I love Jake Bugg. He's young and needs more maturity but Lightening Bolt is brilliant.
- I'm thrilled Agnetha Faltskog emerged to record and release another album but couldn't she have picked better material?
- Daft Punk's new record pretty much has ended music, it so bad, I mean at times I burst out laughing at how shit and embarrassingly bad the songs are, but the press are cumming all over it non-stop. WTF?
James Blake's last album like this one is 24 shades of shit, yet hyped up as brilliant. Vampire Weekend the same. It is so disheartening to watch bad artists being lauded while great artists simply get ignored.
- [quote]Of course, I'll love hearing the new My Bloody Valentine, although I'm not holding my breath that it'll actually be out any time soon.
Well it took 22 years, but My Bloody Valentine has FINALLY released their follow up to "Loveless"
And the fans and critics love it.
- The new My Bloody Valentine album "MBV" in it's entirety.
God this shit is good.
Kevin Shields is a crazy genius.
- John Grant's new album "Pale Green Ghosts", which is, surprisingly, very electronic, is excellent.
- [quote]It is so disheartening to watch bad artists being lauded while great artists simply get ignored.
So disheartening that you can't even take the time to post some of those great artists that are ignored but instead, you would rather just bitch and complain about artists you don't care for. Typical Datalounger response.
- Capital Cities
Safe and Sound
It was released in 2011, but is just getting traction now, thanks to the amazing video.
I'm not usually into new rap, but I loved A$AP Rocky's latest. The fact that he's the Marvin Gaye of hiphop doesn't hurt either. Hot. As. Fuck.
- Is Macklemore a parody? Is like sending up white people who try to act black like Justin Bieber / Timberlake ?
- I'm looking forward to the new Empire of the Sun record even though the first single doesn't excite me much.
Also I just saw that Holy Ghost! is opening on some US tour dates for New Order this summer. I'm assuming they will have a new album to promote. That's another that I'll be excited to hear.
- Joanna Newsom - "The North Star Grassman and the Ravens" not as good as Sandy, but a very nice cover.
- Dirty Beaches new album is fab. Shannon Wright's new album is my fav of the year so far, I found it through these guys, a great way to find new music.
- R112, we need to talk, I couldn't agree with you more.
- Low - The Invisible Way
- Little Bear
- Jesus. The new Daft Punk album is not that bad people, and its hardly the end of music. I do agree that James Blake is the most overrated ever!
- Little Boots - "Motorway"
- I'm liking San Cisco. I guess their album was released in November (not sure about the US release date), but I'd never heard of them until this spring when they toured the US.
The chick drummer is and cool and cute. Sometimes she sings vocals too.
This track isn't on their album, but their in-studio cover of Get Lucky is fun.
- patty bruce "show queen"
- I know its from last year, but I cannot get enough of Beach House "Bloom". Fucking beautiful!
- I'm liking Disclosure.
- Really dig Still Corners, Endless Summer, (which I am crazy about) sounds like Blonde Redhead's 23.
- Blonde Redhead - 23.
- Speaking of how much new music sucks, I was listening to Depeche Mode's Violator. It still holds up 20 years later. They don't make music like they used to.
I sound like my parents
- New Neko Case album out September 3rd!
- r125, considering it was 5 years and several million dollars later, and we get Moroder and Paul Williams?
No, it sucked. Also, who the fuck told Pharrell he could sing?
Check out this cool Get Lucky cover. This guy is 19, is primarily a drummer, but plays all the other instruments.
- R94, I like Pistol Annies too. Sounds as if they might be breaking up? Abruptly canceled a bunch of concerts. Anyone liking the new Natalie Maines album Mother?
- MS MR - "Hurricane"
- Cannot wait for Neko's new album, and Throwing Muses new album out in Sep. It'll be a good month for music.
- Austra has a new dance CD out that has a lot of people talking across the pond...
- Does anyone know if Neko Case recorded a studio version of If You Knew, it was on her live album, I can't find it on her mai records, was it a b-side maybe?
- It's a shame these youtube threads crash my ancient computer, I want to check some of this shit out.
r39 agree. Emeli Sande certainly has talent, but like early Alicia Keys and John Legend she's so dull and worthy. She does have a good voice and impressively doesn't oversing and has some taste. She had quite the showcase at the Olympics but I am at a loss to explain those UK sales.
- Thundercat has a new CD called Apocalypse... It's really cool Jazzy summery and something new...
- And if you really want to "Trip Out" oOoOO Yes, that's how it's spelled
oOoOO has a new one out called "Without Your Love"
- Autre Ne Veut - "Play By Play"
- Autre Ne Veut - "Counting"
- CHVRCHES - "Gun"
- Pure Bathing Culture
Debut album Moon Tides is out on August 20!
- OK DL. MOJO has just given "Electric" the new Dance Recording Full Length by The Pet Shop Boys... 4 Stars!!!
Anyone else heard it streamed yet????
- Mama Kin - Rescue
- HAERTS - "Wings"
- HAERTS - "All the Days"
- Marnie - "The Hunter"
Helen Marnie of Ladytron. Her debut solo album 'Crystal World' is fantastic!
- Gays and new music = LAME. LAME. LAME.
- The group has been around awhile. The music is new. The video is wonderful. And they all look great.
Don't judge till you've listened and watched all of it.
- I downloaded that song by Kiara 7 called "Smoke and Mirrors." Catchy tune. It seems to be moving up on amazon. Maybe it'll catch on a la Carly Rae Jepsen.
- Thanks for the Marnie post, R152. I didn't know she was doing a solo album, but I'll check it out.
Do you know if the group is still going to work together?
- Yes, Ladytron is still together. Her bandmates helped produce the album. The entire Marnie album is just brilliant, but the beautiful closing track is really something special. Check it out!
- Sorry, link fixed!
- Mood Rings - "The Line"
- ARTPOP ~ Lady Gaga
- Grrlplea especially this song "Journey"
- Tiger Waves - Quebec
- "ARTPOP ~ Lady Gaga"
Ain't nobody here for that.
- [quote]Cannot wait for Neko's new album, and Throwing Muses new album out in Sep. It'll be a good month for music.
The Muses album got pushed back to some time in October.
I like Neko's voice, but I find her material a bit precious.
- I BREAK HORSES
- Funny Neko Case video interview for Pitcfork. She loves the word 'cunt'. She even mentions 'camel toe'.
Should we invite her to DL?
- "Out Cold" his debut is getting great reviews.
And he just came out! :-)
- I think too many gays would be scared of a strong smart woman who doesn't give a fuck about make-up and fuck me high heels.
- In my late summer playlist:
Basement Jaxx, "What a Difference Your Love Makes"
Placebo, "Too Many Friends"
Nora En Pure, "Come With Me"
The Vaccines, "Melody Calling"
Camera Obscura, "Break It To You Gently"
Sigur Ros, "Isjaki"
Francesco Rossi, "Paper Aeroplane"
- Loving this song from David Lynch & Lykke Li. I wish he would do a full album with her.
- Alela Diane, About Farewell
- V.V. Brown - The Apple. Check out the Samson video, too. Can't wait for the full album.
- "Drew" by Goldfrapp
- Victoria and Jacob
- Lorde, Royals
- I'm loving this record right now. Sorry if it's a duplicate of a previous post - I scanned through and didn't see it, but I might have missed something.
"Spinoza" from Generationals
- LOVE the Goldfrapp song, was never a huge fan but I might get this record.
- Im really getting into the new Julia Holter CD "Loud City Song"
It's quirky melodic and interesting
- The new Goldfrapp CD has leaked. It's gorgeous, sort of like a more organic "Felt Mountain".
- Probably my favorite album from start to finish (meaning I felt all the songs were good to very solid without any filler) of the past 5 years was the 2008 debut from White Lies.
Their 2010 follow-up disc was not as good in my opinion and I was sure that meant they were just a one-album wonder for me.
But they just released their 3rd disc, and so far I'm really liking it.
"Goldmine" - White Lies
- Mazzy Star - Seasons of Your Day
- Valentina - "Wolves"
- Yes! Annie!!
- "Forest Swords" by Engravings is a really good piece of electronica...
- My, can we all be pretentious?
Never heard, never will.
- Throwing Muses - Sleepwalking 1 from their upcoming album 'Purgatory/Paradise. Can't wait!
- R189, you sound like a plebe who only listens to whatever is spoonfed to you by top 40 corporate radio. Just because you have no interest in broadening your horizons doesn't mean that those who do are "pretentious." Most of these artists are hardly obscure.
- We Are Twin
- Pure Bathing Culture - "Scotty"
- Deerhunter - Back to the Middle
- 65DaysofStatics new one is really cool...
- FKA twigs - Papi Pacify
- Psychic Twin - "Strangers"
- "When A Fire Starts to Burn"--Disclosure
- I generally like the band The Feeling and just read they have a new album about to come out. Like their last disc, I doubt it will have a U.S. release.
Also, lead singer Dan Gillespie-Sells is a handsome gay man.
The first single (attached) doesn't excite me to much. I'm more looking forward to the album as a whole.
The Feeling - "Rescue"
- Shane Filan from Westlife is about to release his debut solo CD.
I've always had a love/hate relationship with Westlife. Even though I hate the majority of the ballad-y dreck songs they released, I still feel like I like the group. Probably because I want to fuck all of them.
Anyway, sounds like Shane is staying in very comfortable/boring territory for his solo career. There are 2 singles available on youtube - both are pretty uninspired.
There is also this cover version of the Lonestar smash Amazed. Not sure if it will be a track on the new CD, but it's serviceable. That's one thing I usually did like Westlife for - their cover songs were decent.
I will be curious to check out Mark Feehily's forthcoming work too. Mark and Shane were the only decent voices in the group.
Shane Filan - "Amazed"
- The new MGMT stuff hasn't stood out but this homoerotic video for the new single is cool
- Emilíana Torrini - Speed Of Dark
- They're not brand new, just new to me - I'm really into Of Monsters and Men lately.
- This is from 2004, but I just heard it today, thought it was pretty good
- Sky Ferreira - You're Not The One
- Tripping out to Darkside's debut Psychic...
- 65daysofstatic "Wild Light" is phenomenal...
- What do we think of Chvrches?
- I LOVE the new Franz Ferdinand Right Thoughts Right Words Right Action.
- Good ol' reliable WIRE released Change Becomes You this year. Very eclectic and noteworthy IMO.
- I'm going to see SAVAGES play this week. Anyone seen them live?
- Woman's Hour - "Darkest Place"
- Woman's Hour - "To The End"
- Just got my copy of Throwing Muses' Purgatory/Paradise - EPIC!
- FriendZone and their debut DX
- r208, we think they can't spell.
- "Prisms" by 65daysofstatic is stunning...
- Im loving Oliver Wildes "Something Old"
- Jessy Lanza
- "Elliote" by Roosevelt.
Number 1 if there was any justice...
- So now the year has come to an end, here is my top 5 favorite albums of 2013.
1. Shannon Wright - In Film Sound
2. Throwing Muses - Purgatory / Paradise
3. Marnie Stern - The Chronicles of Marnia
4. Scout Niblett - It's Up to Emma
5. Dirty Beaches - Drifters / Love is the Devil
- MIA - Matangai
- [quote]I did not like Blood Orange's album, but he co-wrote two incredible songs which are hits in the making. Here's one:
[quote]by: Sky Ferreira, "Everything Is Embarrassing"
Thank god for Spotify. I dig Everything is embarrassing because of the 80s feel, but the rest of her music... meh.
- Sky Ferreira also has "I Blame Myself," which is a great track.
Kat Dahlia - Crazy, Gangster, Mirror
RAC has some good mixes
David Archuleta, Crush and Other Side of Down
Brandon Flowers, Right Beside You
- [quote]Sky Ferreira also has "I Blame Myself," which is a great track.
It's pretty bland.
- To each their own. I love her vocal on that track.
Weeknd has a good track, Tears In the Rain. Also, Vanessa by Grimes.