- I think she's been out for a few months here (longer in the UK) but just discovered Emeli Sande. She sounds great!
- The albums I am so looking forward to this year are:
Widowspeak - Almanac
Lisa Germano - No Elephants
Throwing Muses - Paradise / Purgatory
Tara Jane O'Neil, I donated @ Kickstarter
Thalia Zedek - Via
Maybe some new albums from Scout Niblett, Joanna Newsom, PJ Harvey.
BUT!! I'm so excited about is Shannon Wright, In Film Sound. The new song Mire is awesome.
- I'm looking forward to the new Jonatha Brooke.
- Marnie Stern jams out with her clam out.
- R6 Cool, I just found someone via Bandcamp too.
Mister Lies - great electronica tune and samples a bit of Joni Mitchell.
- I heard Destiny's Child is reuniting for an album in 2013. Oh, and of course JT's new album.
- I hope there's new Goldfrapp this year? I think there's supposed to be.
- Hopefully Dirty Beaches will have a new full length out this year.
- The new The Knife album. The lead single has leaked and it is bonkers in its amazingness!
- Shaking the Habitual? Sounds cool.
- Lisa Germano? I thought she was dead.
Sarah Dead Dog Maclachlan
- Mazzy Star is suppose to have a new album out this year.
- I'm also looking forward to new stuff from Lisa Germano. "From a Shell" is one of my favorite songs.
- Suede - "Bloodsports" out March 18!
- I'm looking foward to:
New Black Keys!
New David Bowie!
New Depeche Mode!
Atoms for Peace. The Thom Yorke/Nigel Godrich/Flea/Joey Waronker collaboration.
I'm also curious to hear the new Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, although the loss of Mick Harvey, I think, is going to hurt.
Of course, I'll love hearing the new My Bloody Valentine, although I'm not holding my breath that it'll actually be out any time soon.
- Young Galaxy
- Kate Earl - Stronger
- Indie band We Are the Woods just released a new CD Whales and Roses
- [quote]I'll love hearing the new My Bloody Valentine
Christ, how long do you think it'll be? Supposedly they finished mastering on 12/24, but....
Kevin Shields is a liar
- Yamantaka/Sonic Titan
- Can't wait for the new Diana Ross album!
- Sally Shapiro
- Can't wait for the new Shannon Wright record, been a big fan since Crowsdell.
- The new Foxygen album is excellent.
- I did not like Blood Orange's album, but he co-wrote two incredible songs which are hits in the making. Here's one:
- And here's the other; yes, I know, "stop trying to make Solange happen." But this is REALLY good.
- Olly Murs will be releasing his new CD in the US in the spring. It's already a big hit in the UK.
- Alice Smith has a new album out soon. The first single is fab.
- Macklemore, bitches!
- Emeli Sande's album Our Version of Events is unbelievable.
- Loving the new Widowspeak album.
- High Highs just released their official debut album "Open Season" on Jan. 25th. Great new band!
- I love this band.
Rhye - "The Fall"
- HAIM, Ms Mr, Neon Hitch, Sky Ferreira for the win!
- Must agree with Emile Sande. Sign up for Spotify for a free spin. The album is just great. New Bowie soon, too.
- Torres is fantastic!
- Emeli Sande's album Our Version of Events is unbelievable - Low brow, bland, boring? Yes it is.
- Keaton Henson - "Lying To You"
- I'm SO into Father Tiger. Like George Michael, Stephen Merritt and Adam Levine circle-jerked and had a baby.
- The Knife - Full of Fire.
- Rhye - "Open"
- MOAR PLZ
- Icona Pop
- Wow, she is wonderful. Thanks, R38!
- Yeah Yeah Yeahs new album "Mosquito"
- KATE BOY
- Anyone here likes John Grant? His new album will be out any day now.
- OMG R11 me want want want! The Knife will slay all, yes. That was the one I was most interested in.
Great to see some MBV fans here - I like that they put the album to buy on their website. Talk about long awaited! But they did have that recent comeback tour and some great reissues, like those essential EPs.
I'm still loving the music from last year, best year for music in a while: Crystal Castles, Beach House, Grimes, Regina, Bill Fay, The XX, Tame Impala.
- What a pretentious list....meh!
- Love it R28, one of the best songs of last year. She has no right to be, but cooler than her sister at least.
- Jessie Ware - the entire album is great. (thanks Jon)
- I like Sabotage on the new Suede album. Overall the album is great and has the good rock glam vibe Suede is known for.
- New single from Austra!
- Dirty South, "Your Heart"
- Music and book threads are a huge reason why I keep coming back to DL. Some of the best recommendations I've ever had have come from posters here.
- Scottish Indie Band Frigthened Rabbit's latest album Pedestrian Verse features a track called Escape Route that has the following lyrics:
His first kicking came on January 1st
They said, “Welcome to the club,
we’ll take your shoes and your shirt.”
He wore his nosebleed like a red rosette
And it was a prize he would win again and again and again.
He had to find an escape route.
It was a rumour, but it soon became true
When he was drunk in the suburbs
with a boy from a different school.
All his good friends soon left him for dead
Now he stands staring down at the Clyde from a bridge
And then he saw an escape route
From the dogs of West Renfrew
From the bitches and bruises
He chose Ohio to run to.
- New girl group Kiara 7. Catchy tune. Out April 9th on itunes.
- New girl group Kiara 7. Catchy tune. Out April 9th.
- I love Austra. I had no idea Kate was putting new music out.
- Trst "Gloryhole"
- Rachel Zeffira - "Here On In"
- Vintage Trouble - "Nobody Told Me" - SXSW 2013 Showcasing Artist
- R2 and 36 have it. I'm eagerly awaiting the Haim album. The two singles have been the best pop songs I've heard for years, they will be difficult to top.
Third single "Falling" also great, I got all of them. They're like a new Fleetwood Mac, kinda similar to The Pierces but better.
- Phosphorescent - "Song For Zula"
- Anything by Jessie Ware and Haim seem to be perfection. I hope they break out in the US like they have in Europe.
Some possibilities for acts that may hit breakout:
- Still Corners - "Berlin Lovers"
- And your recommendation, R51, is...which one?
- I love this thread!
- r70, I like the track called Leaves Start Trembling from their latest album.
- I'm really, really enjoying the latest Yo La Tengo album, Fade.
- I like the PJ Harvey feel of The Veils 'Time Stays, We Go' (love the tracks Through the Deep Dark Woods, The Pearl, and Another Night on Earth). Though I only discovered this this year, but it was apparently released in 2012.
- The Feathers song is great, but the video is giving me bad Wilson Phillips 'Hold On' vibes (and so not good vibes like the Madonna video for Frozen) .
- Laura Mvula
- Waxahatchee is singer/songwriter Katie Crutchfield. She is awesome!
- I really like Phosphorescent (Mentioned by R68)
- Debut album from AlunaGeorge drops June 13!
- More AlunaGeorge!
- Some interesting electronica coming out of the Bay
- Rebeka - "Melancholia"
- LOVE the new Shannon Wright album- In Film Sound. Uber cool.
Also really digging Marnie Stern - The Chronicles of Marnia.
Can't wait for the new albums by
Scout Niblett - It's Up to Emma
Dirty Beaches - Drifters / Love Is The Devil
- Aliuna Francis is a fierce bitch. Love her!
- Youth Lagoon
- Alison Moyet's album, "the minutes" is one of the best electronic albums ever produced!!! She deserves awards for it.
- I am absolutely in love with High Highs new album, another great one is City Calm Down, they have a fantastic 6 song EP out.
- Hey R90, if you like the High Highs, you should def check out Rhye @ R35 and R43.
- Has anyone listened to Janelle Monae's new song?
- I agree with R81. The new Alison Moyet album is unexpectedly brilliant. Her voice is in great shape, as usual, but this is the best material she's worked with in ages.
- Pistol Annies were good on Letterman the other night.
I've been aware of Miranda for several years, but wasn't familiar with this group. I liked their song enough to check out the new album.
- That should be R88, not R81.
- Thanks R91, really liking Rhye and Haim.
- Greetings from Dusseldorf from everyone's favorite schoolmarm!
Don't forget to check out my blog! Just google "recovered baptist blog."
Fuck you, webbie!
- John Grant's "Black Belt" deserves to be HUGE!
- Owl Eyes - "Closure"
- LOVE JAMES BLAKE!
- JAMES BLAKE!
- It's been a good year for new music so far.
I'm absolutely obsessed with the new Knife album, "Shaking the Habitual." Some will hate it - it's a mix of very dark/weird dance music, and some really out-there ambient/noise that at times sounds more than anything else like a movie soundtrack. But it's very, very compelling.
Other new stuff I've been digging out in just the last few weeks: Kurt Vile, Flaming Lips, Deerhunter, Vampire Weekend, Atoms for Peace.
- Chad Valley?
I've never heard of him before tonight, but by chance I found one of his songs under the free singles on the Amazon MP3 site.
He's a chubby ginger Brit with sweaty balls (at least in the attached live studio clip). His voice sounds a lot like Roland Orzabal from Tears For Fears, but it looks like he's a 'one-man-with-a-keyboard' kind of musician. And the music is more synthpop than Tears.
Not sure when the new album was released in the US (might have been last November), but on his site it says he just finished up a month-long promotional tour of several U.S. cities. Just my luck that I'm finding out about him literally 2 weeks after his show here in my town.
Anyway, I checked a bunch of his stuff on youtube, and I'm happy to have a new artist that I like. Well, I like some of it.
"Tell All Your Friends" - Chad Valley
- AlunaGeorge is gonna be huge
- Yes R92, I listened to it, quite liked it -Q.U.E.E.N.
Like her music, her style, her presentation, her message... If she's on the screen my eyes are following her.
- Also like the new Lana Del Rey track, "Queen of Disaster."
- What about Of Mountains and Men? They're pretty great and touring with Haim.
- James Blake is a bore.