- High school friends think he was in on it and did it for publicity.
- Originally reported by Deadspin.
- Another Mormon exposed as a fraud. Color me surprised. Not.
- From the Deadspin report:
"Manti and Ronaiah are family," she said, "or at least family friends."
- What the hell kind of famous football player has an "online girlfriend"?
Real manly straight football players spend their college years raping drunk sorority girls, not sending texts to some girl he's never touched.
- There's no way he wasn't in on it. It almost won him the Heisman.
- He's only a college football player. Why did he do this? He had no bad reputation to overcome. Why the fuck did he make up an online girlfriend. My first thought was eBearding, but it doesn't seem like that's it.
- Lying fool sure came up small against Alabama...
A lot of people say that hideous performance will most certainly drop him in the draft.
- he has a small weenie, he can't get real girlz
- Tonight on Catfish: The TV Show...
- At least my fake girlfriend is still alive.
- Didn't realize how huge this story is. General sports and college football blogs are salivating. It's such a bizarre story. Lots of defenders who seem almost delusional in believing ND and T'eo have been duped in an elaborate hoax.
I watch college football casually, didn't follow the Heisman race and didn't know about this girlfriend story until now.
Have seen several comments suggesting that T'eo and another person involved are gay, and this actually was some elaborate front. No, most of the posters don't believe this. But, I was surprised that the idea really didn't get consistently shot down. A lot of replies communicated "I don't think so, but It could be possible." Also, some people even replied that this "might make sense given his religion and the fact that he's scared."
I don't know if this should be labeled "progress", but I think more of the public is broadly aware that gays exist everywhere and many are closeted.
- r13 - How do they rationalize that he claims to have touched her hand at a game and she met his parents? Or for that matter, that he never went to visit the terminally ill girlfriend he claimed to love?
That boy gay.
- Manti Te'o is not a fag - and I'm the dame that can prove it!
Manti's Dead, Imaginary Girlfriend
- "How do they rationalize that he claims to have touched her hand at a game and she met his parents? Or for that matter, that he never went to visit the terminally ill girlfriend he claimed to love?"
And that he called her his girlfriend even though their only "relationship" was online?
- This has GOT to be one of the most bizarre stories I have ever read. And I thought that Tebow was a fundie freak.
After Teo's/Notre Dame's beatdown during the championship game, and now this bizarre story getting so much attention, I'd say that Manty's collapse is complete - he'll never play in the NFL.
And I can only assume that he is A) GAY as a goose, or B) the stupidest person alive.
- Anything that causes humiliation to Notre Dame can't be all bad. Makes ND long for the days of football players who just raped women (and got away with it.) All so the priests at ND can say they aren't fags like other priests.
- I don''t know, R14, R16.
I certainly think he could be gay and this is all an elaborate front.
I was just pointing out that even though most posters on various sports websites (Deadspin, cnnsi.com, Notre Dame's SB Nation blog) aren't proposing the gay angle, the responses to those who are (and there are quite a few) are surprisingly not as vehemently opposed to the idea as I would think. And many posters, though falling short of adopting the gay angle, are open to the possibility - even "understanding" that the Mormon/Catholic school reality of Te'o's situation could lead him to take such drastic measures if he is indeed gay.
Basically, a much larger segment of the public, no matter what they think of gays, are very aware that gays exist everywhere and that the closet is a real thing. "DL" (down low, not Datalounge) is used on those sites regularly, so many sports fans seem to be hip to the fact that there closet cases in sports, even if they'd prefer it not be true.
- Believe it or not, Anderson was discussing this story tonight.
- Many people are saying that he's involved in he whole thing, and he didn't do it to hide being gay, but he did it to prop up his Heisman campaign. Read the Deadspin article - the fact that an ND star was playing under the weight of having his girlfriend die was being presented by the national media, even morning shows, not just sports shows.
But, it seems like such overkill. Creating a car accident AND leukemia, extending the lie with this many people and for this long.
I can see him getting in way over his head and continuing out of fear if it was just a PR stunt, but the desperation just reeks of the gay angle. But, I'm gay, so I may be biased towards that explanation.
Regardless, the whole thing is fascinating to me.
- My first thought was that he is gay and this was an elaborate cover. For instance, the person suspected of setting up the "girlfriend"'s twitter account was also in a car accident, an important part of the "girlfriend"'s story.
On the other hand, why would he draw so much attention to his love life if that was precisely what he wanted to hide?
- The Lance Armstrong influence on the Heisman race.
- The publicity helped his Heisman candidacy, but as an merely good linebacker going into his senior year, there was a good chance that it would have never paid off.
- He had a girlfriend "online," but that doesn't mean he still wasn't screwing around behind her back.
- I wish you could meet my girlfriend,
My girlfriend who lives in Canada.
She couldn't be sweeter
I wish you could meet her,
My girlfriend who lives in Canada!
Her name is Alberta
She lives in Vancouver
She cooks like my mother
And sucks like a Hoover.
I e-mail her every single day
Just to make sure that everything's okay.
It's a pity she lives so far away, in Canada!
Last week she was here, but she had the flu.
Too bad 'cause I wanted to introduce her to you.
It's so sad, there wasn't a thing that she could do
But stay in bed with her legs up over her head! Oh!
I wish you could meet my girlfriend,
But you can't because she is in Canada.
I love her, I miss her, I can't wait to kiss her,
So soon I'll be off to Alberta!
I mean Vancouver!
Shit! Her name is Alberta, she lives in Vancou-
She's my girlfriend! My wonderful girlfriend!
Yes I have a girlfriend, who lives in Canada!!
And I can't wait to eat her pussy again!
Canada, Hawaii, same difference
- [quote]Real manly straight football players spend their college years raping drunk sorority girls, not sending texts to some girl he's never touched.
They do BOTH, at the same time. I once sat behind a D1 football player in Sociology class, and he would message with young nude girls on a webcam who gave him a lot of crotch. Might have been the same girl every time...I couldn't really tell. He would get sweaty and wriggle a bit, but refrained from full on wanking, as far as I know. I was shocked that he just did that in public, in the second to last row. He must have been a sex addict, or people have lost all shame in the last decade.
Anyway. Then, whenever exiting class at the same time, I noticed he knew just about every girl. He would holler at and walk with various specimens who seemed easily-impressed. I wanted to warn them. But most straight college guys, let alone jocks, will get puss whatever they can, so the internet doesn't surprise me.
However: this Notre Dame guy's particular case seems like it could be publicity that he helped arrange from the start.
- He should date overseas.
- Nev from Catfish is on this...
- [quote]And I can only assume that he is A) GAY as a goose, or B) the stupidest person alive.
Can't he be both? I've always had a thing for big and dumb football players.
From what I've read I get the impression that it was all b.s. publicity, drumming up support for the Heisman. It sounds like his father also participated in feeding the story.
Is this another one of those "It's okay to lie to non-Mormons deals?"
- The sports media are suckers for maudlin tear-jerking narratives. This guy tried to play them and got caught.
- A complete hoax every step of the way. Seeking attention for his personal story and the Liesman Trophy. Show his real character which is none. He should be perfect for the NFL
- Sorry for the dumb working class kid.
- One interetsing thing from the Gawker story is that whenever the family expected to meet the girlfriend, there was Ronaiah.
Ronaiah was in on it, maybe helping for the Heisman or who knows what. Ronaiah is also very religious.
- Manti is fucking hot.
- He's a Mormon so he's a pathological liar. And probably GAY.
- The lengths people will go to... he never really thought this would blow up?
- [quote] And that he called her his girlfriend even though their only "relationship" was online?
Many people do this now. The best response is to bite your tongue and say nothing.
- This story stinks on ice. Some things from the Yahoo! article that stand out...
[quote] Swarbrick said Te'o got a call when he was in Orlando for a college football awards show, which was Dec. 6, from a number he knew to be Kekua. The voice on the other end was the one he knew as Kekua, Swarbrick said, and the person on the other end who Te'o had known to be his girlfriend, who he thought died in September, told Te'o she was not dead.
[quote] "Manti was very unnerved by that, as you might imagine," Swarbrick said. That night Te’o won three awards – the Bednarik Award for top defensive player, the Walter Camp Foundation player of the year award and the Maxwell Award, given to the top player in the nation.
[quote] Swarbrick said the woman tried to restart the relationship after that phone call.
Scary stuff. And then...
[quote] After the news broke, ESPN showed a clip of a interview of Te'o from Oct. 2 of last year, and he mentions talking to her on the phone every night, and seems to insinuate he met her.
[quote] "I'd seen the most beautiful girl I ever met, not because of her physical beauty but the beauty of her character and who she is," Te'o said in the ESPN interview. "Even though she was fighting leukemia and fighting various things, she always found time to serve someone else."
Um, oh. Okay. Hmmm.. And then...
[quote] A South Bend Tribune story from Oct. 12 said he met Kekua at Stanford. (That story appears to have been taken down by the South Bend Tribune on Wednesday even, but here it is from when it was republished in the Deseret News.)
[quote] Swarbrick said Te'o talked of "meeting" Kekua. When he followed up on that statement with Te'o, Swarbrick said that Te'o explained that he was referring to meeting her online.
[quote] "Several meetings were set up where Lennay never showed," Swarbrick said.
This really IS some crazy shit. Are all Mormons like this, or just the famous ones? Because all I can think of is... LIIIAAARRRRRR!
The story makes no sense and nothing adds up.
If I didn't know any better, I'd give Te'o a pass, and blame it all on Chip Kelly. He probably took advantage of a very naive and stupid 22 year old, to promote his team, motivate Te'o to win games, and win a national championship, so he could get a better job.
He got 3 out of 4. He duped the 22 year old, he had a perfect season, and he got a better job. And now Chip Kelly is moving on to coach in the NFL.
Coincidence? I think not. I'm inclined to believe that this whole thing was a setup to take advantage of Te'o's stupidity.
- I hope the girlfriend turns out to be a DL-er, sitting in his caftan and typing with a pencil.
- In this day of facebook, skype, texting and sexting any claim that he is not the hoax itself is absurd. Mormons have always had a gift for inventing the hoax. Think the hoax that Willard was
- Using this as an opportunity to bash Mormons.
Last night on Leno he told a joke about Ann Romney. I don't know if she was actually invited to DWTS.
Ann Romney was asked to join the Dancing With the Stars program, declining saying she preferred to stay home with the biggest loser.
- From what I understand, it is part of the Mormon religion to encourage lying to non-Mormons.
- I bet all of you 'mos have fallen for a lie someone on A4A or Manhunt.
- He says he met her and she visited his family.
He's totally in on the hoax as is this Ronaiah guy.
- I think Manti T'eo and this Ronaiah guy created the whole ruse. Were they on the DL or just ambitious for a good narrative? Who knows.
- Okay, I'm gay and can be as suspicious of a closet case as the next person, but where the fuck is all the "he's GAY!" shit coming from?
The guy could be gay, but he isn't really pinging to me. What about this story has got so many of you so riled up that he's a closet case?
I think it's painfully obvious that he's in on it and it was all allowed to get smeared all over the media because ND was having its best year in decades and because one of its star linemen was a candidate for the Heisman. Yeah, HE was in on it, so was Notre Dame.
But, how's any of this suggesting he's gay? Some of you bitches need to calm down and stop being so anxious to score a jack-off fantasy from random scandals. It's a'int ALL about the gays all the time people.
- What's interesting is this comment on Deadspin:
[quote]Erm, that's because she was registered under her real name, Lennay Marie Wochinski. Lennay Marie Kekua was her professional name.
Put that phrase into Google and see how many times that exact comment is posted. It appears in every article about this.
He didn't do that. This is bigger than a couple of football players.
- Did you read the Deadspin article in full, R47? It's mighty suspicious.
T'eo wasn't catfished. He was in on it. And the strings being pulled on the other end were by this Ronaiah guy (a pastor, btw) who was friendly with T'eo and supposedly the nonexistent dead girl was his cousin.
"Was this Lennay Kekua? We spoke with friends and relatives of Ronaiah Tuiasosopo who asserted that Ronaiah was the man behind Lennay. He created Lennay in 2008, one source said, and Te'o wasn't the first person to have an online "relationship" with her. One mark—who had been "introduced" to Lennay by Tuiasosopo—lasted about a month before family members grew suspicious that Lennay could never be found on the telephone, [bold]and that wherever one expected Lennay to be, Ronaiah was there instead.[/bold] Two sources discounted Ronaiah's stunt as a prank that only metastasized because of Te'o's rise to national celebrity this past season."
- R48, that's a Seinfeld reference that nobody got.
- He's in deep shit no matter what. If he was involved in it, it begs the question as to why he did it - was it for the sympathy vote or to cover that he was gay? If he wasn't involved in the hoax, then he exposes himself as one of the dumbest guy on record to call this woman a "girlfriend" and inply a relationship when the whole thing was faked. Either way, he is screwed. And the media just loves stories like this.
- if he was catfished, he should have left it at that but by building upon the lie himself that he met her, she visited his family, he has destroyed a lot of credibility.
- Oh, what a wicked web we weave when first practicing to deceive.
- They should make him do an AIDS test, all you homos are AIDS infested. It's like bed bugs. It used to be nothing. Now you can't go anywhere without these bugs.
- WHy does the webby refuse to ban R54, who's been posting that shit for days??
- The closet case suspicions come from the fact that his very good male friend was the actual Lennay. At the very least he pretended to be this dying woman to give Manti a good story, but why go through that he already had a real life dying grandmother? If he is a closet case, then he has an excuse why he does not date or bang whores like the other football players. He has a dying GF. Who was he really talking too and meeting?? maybe no one. maybe this other dude so he could cover being away..
- R55 please shut up and ignore him.
- This seems to be the usual script for a Catfishing per the show-- gay/transgender Catfisher trolling straight person by pretending to be hot opposite sex love interest. What is missing inside these people that they feel compelled to do this? It's very sad.
- Didn't Tootie do this on TFOL?
- r39, please get your facts straight before posting your conspiracy theories. Chip Kelly, who is going to the NFL, was the coach at Oregon. You're trying to refer to Brian Kelly, who is coach at Notre Dame, and has announced he will stay at ND. Although that might now depend on how this story pans out.
- If he is Gay, look for the spin control photos of his bad behavior at a strip club to get posted this weekend.
- I never follow football but this story is exploding, everybody on Twitter is commenting about it.
- So Teo talks with an imaginary woman and is vilified. Tebow talks with an imaginary man and is praised. Stop the hate against women! Misogyny must end!!
- He's trying to hathe narrative go both ways which is a very stupid thing to do.
- [quote]I bet all of you 'mos have fallen for a lie someone on A4A or Manhunt.
I'll bet you, r44, are a jackass who has no problem telling lies anywhere and anytime you post a message.
- r63, your anti-Christian obsession and bigotry are tired and uncool. Get over yourself.
- Marry me, R63.
- He realized the traction his dying grandmother provided and decided a dying girlfriend would give him that much more.
- It's called gilding the lilly, R68. Well, it was back my great-grandmother's time.
- [quote]Tebow talks with an imaginary man and is praised.
Yes, everyone at DL has nothing but praise for the way Tim Tebow kneels to his Lord in the football stadium. We really admire him for that.
- My mussy is leaking warm, sticky Personal Savioir sperm all over the cloth seats of my Mercury Bobcat hatchback.
- R66 Stating that god is an imaginary figure is not anti-Christian bigotry. For one thing, Christians are not the only people who believe in a god. Secondly, stating a fact is not bigotry.
- Let's pretend for a minute that he really was duped and someone made him think he had an internet girlfriend.
You know there's footage of him jerking off, and you know they're gonna get posting in 3 . . . 2 . . . 1 . . . .
- The question is how long did Notre Dame know? They hired a fucking private detective some months ago!
- He should hook up with that other Mormon in the news, Jodi Arias. Hearvshe is in the market for a new boy friend.
- [quote] Someone with a brain
- This will be an episode of Catfish, so I'm curious how that will go. The girl whose picture was being used contacted Nev in December.
- There is no way he was not complicit in some way when he VOLUNTEERED details about having met this girl in the past.
- He's a LYAH!
His story simply has no FLAVAH.
- #Nosuch Dame
- How did this moron get through Notre Dame without somebody writing all his papers and taking all his exams for him? Dumb, dumb, dumb... a halfway smart guy would have hired a nice college co-ed willing to beard for four or so years. Nobody but a extremely sheltered gay moron would expect anyone with an IQ over 80 to by this charade. Sad if all he wanted to do was hide his homosexuality and relationship with his boyfriend. Now, everyone in the country will know he's a big football playin' 'mo. But being a Mormon, with a born-again Christian boyfriend, there's no way this guy is marching in the next Gay Pride Parade.
- Manti wants to be an actor I'd say.
- Noteo Dame
- ROFLMAO at this quote:
"I'd seen the most beautiful girl I ever met, not because of her physical beauty but the beauty of her character and who she is," Te'o said in the ESPN interview
Mary, please. He was in on it.
- Screwing women on-campus would tarnish the "avoid the appearance of fucking" theology that's deeply ingrained into the brains of certain religious folk...especially since he's a football player. If he had acquired an IRL girlfriend to be "emotionally attached" to, even one to pretend she's sick, this whole thing would've surfaced and raised questions among his people of whether he's sexually active. Trust me, that's an area of paranoia for these people.
- This is being discussed on NPR right now. Sports writers seem to think he was in on the hoax, that he needed a backstory to push him toward the Heisman trophy.
He's been claiming involvement with the faux girlfriend for three years.
"It's not easy to be a football player and not be part of the hook-up culture at Notre Dame," is what one guy said as the reason for Teo to create the fiction.
- A Samoan player at Arizona claims he met this woman. It's interesting that all these Samoans are spread around the nation but all apparently in touch with each other.
- It's not interesting at all, R87.
- "A Samoan player at Arizona claims he met this woman"
Uh....how can you meet someone who doesn't exist?
- My favorite Deadspin comment:
Wow. All of these Catholics are crazy upset about Lennay not being real. You can only imagine the kind of shitstorm it's going to be when they finally find out about Jesus.
- Here is a twitter quote from "Lennay" - so ridiculous:
"Babe, if anything happens to me, you promise that you'll stay there and you'll play and you'll honor me through the way you play"
- Well, are Lennay and Clint Eastwood's President Obama out having a drink?
- I'm confused about something: if he talked to her on the phone every night, who was he talking to?
- He was TOTALLY in on it, there's no way he couldn't be. He IS stupid, but he did not get caught up in some internet hoax. He was looking for a PR hook that would get him the Heisman Trophy.
- This so bizarre.
- "I'm confused about something: if he talked to her on the phone every night, who was he talking to?"
Has it been PROVEN that he was actually talking to someone every night, or has he just SAID that he was?
- The "hoaxer" and the football player are classic closeted gays. The football player is dumb enough to think he was talking to a girl he'd never have to touch. ND exaggerated and let the relationship continue because it was good publicity. Case closed.
- I'm predicting a stint in rehab for "bi-polar" or some other made up malady to excuse his "poor judgment."
- Amerians so love a sports narrative.
- Teammate: T'eo is a Liar and a Very Good Actor
So, is he gonna go to Broadway now?
- Has anyone interviewed the guy who supposedly Catfished Te'o? What is his side of the story?
- 1. Notre Dame says that Te'o never met Kekua, that their relationship was strictly online and by phone. But the player's father gave the South Bend Tribune a detailed account of how the couple first met at a Stanford game in Palo Alto in 2009 and rendez-voused in Hawaii after becoming a couple in early 2012. And Te'o himself told ESPN that she was the "most beautiful girl I ever met."
2. Te'o called Kekua "the love of my life." His parents said they believed they would get married. Yet if Notre Dame's account is to be believed, they never met even once, or even Skyped. It beggars belief.
- "Notre Dame says that Te'o never met Kekua, that their relationship was strictly online and by phone."
Uh...so who was he talking to on the phone?
- Two Mormon guys collaborating on a fake girlfriend story?
- Wh is Notre Dame so involved with a students life? How would they even fucking know?
This guy lied for three years and now looks like a fool. They should distance themselves rather than taking part in the lie.
- At least he didn't ride a bike!
Manti Te'o Hoax
All SCAMS Lead to
Ronaiah Tuiasosopo EXCLUSIVE
The Manti Te'o not-really-dead-girlfriend hoax was perpetuated by a man named Ronaiah Tuiasosopo -- who served as a representative for the family of the fake "Lennay Kekua" ... and TMZ has the photo proof.
Here's what we know ...
While Manti was "dating" Lennay ... a Notre Dame die-hard fan who we'll call "Jan" (to protect her identity) reached out to Lennay on Twitter and began an online friendship.
After Lennay's supposed death, Jan became involved with a group called "Wear a Lei 4 Manti" -- in which fans wore Hawaiian leis to ND football games to show their support for the football star.
When the "Wear a Lei 4 Manti" movement began to receive media attention, Jan says she noticed she gained a Twitter follower named U'ilani Rae Kekua.
Jan tells TMZ ... she reached out to U'ilani and asked if she was related to Lennay -- to which U'ilani replied, "Yes, that's my baby sister." The two became friends.
In fact, Jan says they both mentioned how they were going to attend the Notre Dame vs. USC game in L.A. on November 24, 2012 ... so Jan sent U'ilani her cell phone number in case she wanted to meet up.
Here's where the story takes a turn ... Jan tells TMZ she got a phone call from U'ilani on the day of the game directing her to the famous Tommy Trojan statue in front of the stadium, so they could meet up.
But when Jan arrived to the statue, U'ilani was NOT there ... but guess who was -- Ronaiah Tuiasosopo. Jan and Ronaiah even took a photo together (see above).
According to the Deadspin article, Ronaiah was the person who obtained the photo of the woman everyone believed to be Lennay ... and is suspected of having a major role in the hoax.
Jan tells us Ronaiah was with a little girl during the USC meeting who they called Pookah -- and together, they explained how Lennay's sister couldn't come down to visit, so U'ilani sent them instead. Jan says Ronaiah "made it seem as if he was a member of Lennay's family."
After Jan and Ronaiah took the picture together -- Jan says Ronaiah began to act paranoid ... and told her, "Make sure you don't post this photo online."
Soon after the game, Jan says she was contacted by U'ilani ... who also urged her NOT to post the picture of Ronaiah. She didn't explain why.
U'ilani later sent a photo to Jan showing a woman at a cemetery -- and told her, "This is me and my family at Lennay's gravesite. We're spending the day here."
Clearly, the woman in the photo is not U'ilani ('cause she doesn't really exist) ... and some digging suggests the woman in the photo is actually a woman named Donna Tei, who doesn't seem to have a relationship with anyone involved in the hoax.
There's more ... Jan tells TMZ Lennay's "sister" continued to reach out to her after the USC game ... and delivered some more bad news -- that little Pookah had been diagnosed with lupus and was dying in a children's hospital in Orange County, CA.
Jan said she wanted to send flowers -- so Lennay's "sister" gave her an address. TMZ has learned the address belongs to a member of the Tuiasosopo family.
Jan also gave us the phone number Lennay's sister would use to contact her -- and we found out the number is registered to a man named Titus Tuiasosopo -- Ronaiah's father.
We tried to reach out to Ronaiah -- but we couldn't get a hold of him. So far, he has yet to comment to the media about the story.
- Not necessarily gay.
But. Football players, football fans, and persons involved in competitive athletic programs= LUNATICS.
- Law & Order,SVU is going to have a field day with this.
- Dec. 26 Manti Te'o informs Notre Dame he has just heard fro his dead girlfriend. NOTRE DAME HIRES A PRIVATE INVESTIGATOR. Then on January 4, NOTRE DAME has a metting with Manti Te'o's parents in Miami to tell them of the hoax.
One wonders if Notre Dame wasn't behind the hoax.
- Ronaiah and Manti were friends and this story has gotten way too complex.
One Occam's Razor suggested that they made it all up so THEY could have a relationship.
Another is so Ronaiah could get naked pix of Manti by posing as a girl.
The third is they all wanted to make the best story possible but three years? And Manti saying he'd met her?
Too fucked up.
- No that's true Nanny-State Football, that the university breaks a student's bad news to his parents.
- Sounds to me like Ronaiah thought he could make money off the gullibility of Notre Dame fans.
Te'o was probably fine with that.
- [quote] Tommy Trojan statue
Symbolism!!! You'd swear Ryan Murphy wrote this
- R110 is so right. Look at the Penn State case, look the Steubenville Rape Case. The people who support these programs go into a complete and total meltdown whenever any fact which reflects badly on their precious football team.
- I had a fake girlfriend when I was a college football player. Her name was "Dottie."
- [quote]This is being discussed on NPR right now. Sports writers seem to think he was in on the hoax, that he needed a backstory to push him toward the Heisman trophy.
That makes no sense. 3 years ago his chances of winning the Heisman were so remote that it defies imagination to think that anyone would go through something this "just in case."
Quite the opposite. They never dreamed Notre Dame would have the year they've had or that he would become a major celebrity. This was a quick and dirty cover story to hide his sexuality, mostly from his team mates and coaches, and no one ever dreamed it would be examined by anyone, much less the national news.
- Vaporware girlfriend.
- I think Ronaiah has been giving Manti MANY lay...errr...leis. The minister and the football player cooked up this ruse to cover their tracks.
Det. Olivia Benson
- Is this going to effect his NFL prospect? or will it not matter at all?
It's a character issue. I'm not so sure the sports world cares about character.
- I'm voting gay. Ironically, I've met many, many gay Polynesian men (out here in LA), but have never had the pleasure of hooking up. Anyone ever had Samoan manmeat?
- "He was in on it."
I agree. Seriously, did he ever have a girlfriend, a real flesh and blood, big titty, girlfriend, one he maybe even fucked or at least got to third base with? If not, then he's gay, and the story's plainly a hoax designed by him and his moronic boyfriend to hide his homo-ness and make him appear 'normal' to the Heisman committee, the NFL, his church, his school, his family, sports fans, the media, etc., etc., etc.
- If this were ONLY a gay cover-up, he could have done better than having her die.
- [quote] Creating a car accident AND leukemia, extending the lie with this many people and for this long.
Sounds like 'Munchausen by Internet'. These people form online relationships & are great at reading people & hooking them in. Then they get sick and have accidents, continuously piling up over the top problems.
Of course the victims never get to attend the funerals when they eventually die. But they talk to the friends about it who make excuses. There can be a bunch of sock puppets involved.
Older people than him have gotten duped. But this is the 1st superstar about to get drafted.
I'll bet the father lied because they didn't want to admit to the team mates and the press he was played for a fool & never met the girl. Now everyone's calling him stupid.
- I said this yesterday. I've been following this on a couple of sports websites - ND football blog, ESPN, cnnsi.com, Deadspin, SB Nation. On all of these forums, the gay angle has been posited by multiple posters. And, for the most part, people didn't even flinch. I'm not saying that everyone rushed to agree, but a substantial number of people didn't think it was out of the realm of possibility, even if they personally didn't think that's what's going on. And, a some actually did agree.
Pre-internet age, and probably later, sports fans would have collectively stuck their heads in the sand and denied it based on the fact that he was a football player.
But, people, no matter what they think of gays, seem to realize that there really are gay athletes who are closeted and understand why they would be closeted given their environment.
- I feel so embarrassed for him. My fake girl friend never lets me down plus she's the most beautiful woman in the world.
- What can he say since this lie has been ingrained for so long and so many were complicit?
- This is just like "Weird Science"!
- [quote] On all of these forums, the gay angle has been posited by multiple posters. And, for the most part, people didn't even flinch. I'm not saying that everyone rushed to agree, but a substantial number of people didn't think it was out of the realm of possibility, even if they personally didn't think that's what's going on. And, a some actually did agree.
I was listening to Mad Dog all afternoon, and that was the leading theory there, too. You're right, none of the callers gave a damn or fussed about the moral issues--it was all whether or not it would hurt him in the draft, and whether Notre Dame was involved. The fact that he might be Gay was almost a non-issue. I was impressed.
- Let me see if I've got this. So up until this "scandal" broke, breeders were not aware that people lie online?! Wolfie et al are creaming themselves over at CNN listening all agog to various "experts" trying to help them understand this earthshaking event. It's as bad as that Petraeus shitstorm with the wall-to-wall coverage. And they all seem to be bending over backwards to allow this football player to be the unwitting victim. I'm embarrassed for all of them.
- He's no victim. He's been complicit all long.
- I predict Taylor Swift will be calling him right about now.
- When you keep a secret for too long, the backlash when it comes out will be just terrible.
- R123, Samoans are famously unhung. And fat. Inevitably.
- He's hot and muscular right now.
- Evidence that one of the DL guys is behind it.
- So the guy is gay and made up a girlfriend as a beard. I'd feel sorry for him if I didn't think he was a bit psychotic.
- Her tragic death was a good excuse for him to have no further 'public' relationships with women.
Come to think of it, it was kind of a genius move that didn't cost him any money at all. Until it blew in this face, of course.
- [quote] Another is so Ronaiah could get naked pix of Manti by posing as a girl.
Ding ding ding... I think we have a winner. I can't tell you how many gay guys I know that have done this to a straight guy. I think there were even a few on Datalounge who have admitted to doing so.
Although I think that Manti is such a religious prude, that he'd never consent to send naked photos of himself, so Miss Ronaiah was out of luck, and that's why the character he created, mysteriously "died of leukemia."
[quote] Seriously, did he ever have a girlfriend, a real flesh and blood, big titty, girlfriend, one he maybe even fucked or at least got to third base with? If not, then he's gay, and the story's plainly a hoax designed by him and his moronic boyfriend to hide his homo-ness and make him appear 'normal' to the Heisman committee, the NFL, his church, his school, his family, sports fans, the media, etc., etc., etc.
I agree. The online relationship is a perfect cover for not having sex with girls on campus. And then having her die? That's worth at least another two years of, "oh I can't be in a relationship right now because I'm still getting over my dead fiancee." And make no mistake about it - he was calling her his fiancee back when she supposedly "died."
He's a gay. For sure.
- The most important question of this whole affair, is whether he's a TOP or a BOTTOM??!!!
Enquiring minds want to know! I'll just be he's a bottom. Big burly guys like him usually are.
- With the show "Catfish," everybodyu is going to convince themselves he was catfished, ignoring all the evidence and even the newspaper articles that prove he was in on it for a long time, as well as his family.
You can't wipe away the quotes and newspaper story where he says how he met her, etc. Will the "Catfish" hosts even try to do any due diligence?
- I saw Phil Collins at our hotel in Chicago. I was pretty young at the time and I wasn't impressed. I thought my father was going to lose his shit, though.
- 1) He's a liar and this was all planned
2) He is so fucking stupid he was duped
for FOUR years
3) He's gay
Which is the worst scenario?
- This is what Manti told Sports Illustrated about his "girlfriend":
SI: How did you meet her?
TE'O: We met just, ummmm, just she knew my cousin. And kind of saw me there so. Just kind of regular.
- Didn't this happen to Armistead Maupin and Rosie too?
- Notre Dame forgets, or doesn't care, about the girl who really died. (She committed suicide after being sexually assaulted by a ND player.) Fuck sports.
- I'm not sure why there's not more sympathy for the poor closet-gay.
I mean, every gay guy (at some point in the closet) has had an imaginary or fake "girlfriend" to throw people off.
- Let me tell you about Carlotta....
- [quote]I predict Taylor Swift will be calling him right about now.
She's going to tell him about the song she just wrote for the dead girl.
- [quote]Her tragic death was a good excuse for him to have no further 'public' relationships with women.
It may allow for a few years but eventually he'll have to find another beard.
OTOH, Diana Hyland...
- Apparently the press is actually starting to research - turns out he talked about his dead gf days after he ND said they all found out it was a hoax..
Gregg Doyel, national columnist for CBSSports.com, was more direct.
''Nothing about this story has been comprehensible, or logical, and that extends to what happens next,'' he wrote. ''I cannot comprehend Manti Te'o saying anything that could make me believe he was a victim.''
- this is all rather fascinating. I rarely follow sports because so much of it is weird and fanatical, but this has gotten me interested.
- I don't get why this is such a big deal. Who cares?
- This is getting a lot more people talking about sports. Does this Teo guy have a batting average that will get him into the major league?
- Maybe he believed the online story at first, but then blew everything up in his mind and to impress his peers, hence the stuff about meeting her in person, talking on the phone.
When I was in middle school, a girlfriend had a pretty bracelet. When we asked her where she got it, she said it was given to her by a boy she liked. Within days we knew she'd lied, but the story was based on a kernal of fact (her parents had actually given her the bracelet, and she let the fantasy take off after that.)
Maybe the football player has the emotional maturity of a twelve-year-old girl and let his fantasy get away from him. Then he was in too deep and kept it going.
I think we'll have to let Dr. Phil sort it out.
Seventh grade memories
- r155 - Human interest. It's a strange, mysterious little story.
Plus I suppose some football fans might be emotionally invested.
- I FEEL BAD FOR HIM. HE IS PROBABLY GAY AND SOME LUCKY GUY WILL SUCK HIS BEER CAN THICK PENIS.
- [quote]I'm not sure why there's not more sympathy for the poor closet-gay.
If he is indeed gay, I really do feel sorry for him. But, I'd still think he was an idiot.
Considering his family, religion (Mormon), school, and being part of macho football culture, the gay angle actually makes the most sense. A gay guy in his situation could be incredibly desperate and not really thinking clearly as he keeps building the web of lies.
He was going to talk to some ESPN reporter today, but the interview was canceled. I'm sure all sorts of damage control is going on behind the scenes. Now it's about preventing his draft stock from dropping further (the BCS title game dropped his status already).
I hope he doesn't hurt himself.
- [quote]I don't get why this is such a big deal. Who cares?
I agree. It was fun to read about the first time, but it seems the only people who can REALLY be interested in this are those who are wild for college football and its politics. It's useless news.
- R134 Taylor Swift's beard-game is really lacking at this point. Anyone that dates her I assume is gay [bold]without question[/bold]
- [quote]I don't get why this is such a big deal. Who cares?
Jesus, that can be said about 99% of topics discussed here or on any other forum, gay or not. I'm sure few DLers "care" in any broad sense, that this is in any way important to their lives.
It's a gossip forum. Really, you're going to throw out "who cares?" like it's some brilliant response.
- Well, R163, he might have meant (at least I did) that this shouldn't be getting as much attention as it is, and exceptionally so. Ya bitter queen.
- Hasn't this been the plot of a movie? Maybe a sitcom or two?
- R164, you seem like a bitter queen too. And a cunt.
- Notice how the media tries to avoid his gayness in this story. Fucking homophobes!
- When I said "who cares" I meant why is this such a big deal in the media. And quite frankly, even for Data Lounge it's un-newsworthy.
- I CARE!
- Actually this story is about compulsive liars and a number of people at Datalounge have a strong personal interest in such stories.
- R168, people care because a.) it's a bizarre and intriguing story, and b.) the media in general, and sports media in specific, failed to do any fact-checking, and perpetuated this story through their lazy journalism.
- type "Manti Te'o gay" on twitter search and pressed "all" on top and you'll see lots of straight dudes speculating about it and some will even give him sympathy if that's case.
- What do you say about a girl that loved football, Mozart, Beethoven, and The Beatles ... and me.
- Okay which one of you bitches did this? And where are the dick pix?
- R172, true, it's the homophobic club and leauge management which stop these players to be out, not the people. I read most of the comments from straight dudes, they agree he's gay and that they would have no problem with it, but they're outraged with the way he did such disgusting thing to hide his homosexuality.
- We've come a long way, and the number of posters on sports sites (ostensibly, most of them straight), who can fathom this being a gay thing, and are sympathetic to the situation suggests progress.
But, I wouldn't go so far as to say that no people would have a problem with it. Of course, many would.
But, it's encouraging when sports forum posters don't flinch at the possibility and many understand the pressure on gay guys in an athletic environment, and some even say they'd respect him more if he just came out rather than making up all these lies. Assuming that he is actually gay.
- Whatever the real story is, it's gone way out of control. It will be messy, now.
Maybe Manti can hang out with Lance Armstrong.
- The comments on the national boards are very encouraging, but this young man spent three years at Notre Dame in South Bend, Indiana.
Does anyone seriously think he could have been out and on the football team in that environment? Out, Samoan, and Mormon would have been one toxic combination for those folks to deal with.
- The moral to the story is: If you're gonna make up a fake girlfriend, make it Katie Holmes.
- [quote}That story appears to have been taken down by the South Bend Tribune on Wednesday
There's a whole other story here about how thw press was involved in this. Why did the Tribune take the article down? That's implying that the reporter was in on the hoax. If not, then why remove the article? Also, don't any of these papers (even the NY Times ran a story) check the facts before running it?
- Posters on sports sites have been ripping the media to shreds and questioning why, as the "football star playing under emotional burden" story became a big national story, no one bothered to check anything.
The sports media loves a human interest angle. I loved this statement made in an article on sports site SB Nation:
"College sports generally traffics in mythmaking as a rule, glorifying the lie that the amateur sports stand for something more profound than just wins and losses in a billion dollar business that pays the athletes nothing."
- He's done as far as a decent NFL draft pick. This story is too sensational and makes him out to be either a huge liar or a huge dupe.
No NFL quarterback will want this guy blocking tackles for him.
- The reiligious people will forgive him saying he created this whole story because he wouldn't give in to the college debauchery.
The rest of the people will feel like they'd been played for fools.
And why did the South Bend Tribune take down the story? That's equally suspicious.
- Sports Illustrated took down their story too.
- Their is something wrong with that guy he needs a psychiatric care.
- I loved the Notre Dame spokesman breaking down and crying when speaking of Manti. He was so heartbroken that Manti, who was the most trusting guy he ever, ever met, now will never, ever trust anyone or anything again. His Mormon innocence is lost forever and ever.
I'm crying as I type.
- There are more and more articles voicing the opinion that he might be gay.
- Here's another one:
- MeganAmram on Twitter: "I like this guy but I don't even think he knows I don't exist!"- Lennay Kekua
- "people care because a.) it's a bizarre and intriguing story, and b.) the media in general, and sports media in specific, failed to do any fact-checking, and perpetuated this story through their lazy journalism."
Yep. What's also interesting is the fact that Notre Dame is backing him up even though their official version of the story MAKES NO SENSE. He claims to have met his imaginary girlfriend and known her in real life but they are running with the story that he was "catfished"
by internet hoaxers.
- Ronaiah Tuiasasopo has apparently confessed.
- It's too easy to have Ronaiah confess when Manti did so much to keep that lie going.
- "Ronaiah Tuiasasopo has apparently confessed."
Translation: Someone CLAIMS he confessed.
- Someone paid him to take the fall.
- Even with this "confession" there are sooo many unanswered questions. I call BS on the "confession."
- So, he was stringing his friend along? Unlikely.
- Manti "rebounded" with a real girl after his fake girlfriend died.
This story really can't get any weirder.
- I think the speculation in so-called legitimate media is reckless gossip. Yes, his story sounds suspicious, but refute it with actual facts and evidence, not childish agenda-driven whispering campaigns.
- So his boyfriend falls on the sword. Did you expect any less? Still does not explain the fact that Manni said over and over they met, he talked to her, he talked to her family while she was in the hospital as well as Manni and this dude appear to have a personal relationship.
- r198 - Suggesting someone is gay is "reckless?" And what "agenda" would that be? The gay agenda? Please slither off.
r182 - Right. Because football players and fans have such high moral standards. Just ask Michael Vick.
- r199 - Does he though? It seems like the 'confession' is all hearsay. And it looks like the media is not going to fact check the story any more than they did the first time around.
- [quote]He's done as far as a decent NFL draft pick. This story is too sensational and makes him out to be either a huge liar or a huge dupe.
He'll still get drafted. He was a decent college player. Though, his Heisman candidacy was sort of a joke. ND's schedule wasn't that tough. It was better on paper, and some traditionally strong teams (like USC) didn't end up being so good. His stats were good, but not otherwordly.
His draft stock really took a hit when he was exposed by Alabama in the championship game. Players in the NFL will be even better than that.
- Reba, the girl whose photo was used as part of the hoax was completely unaware of the whole (sob) story.
So there is no girl who has been identified as being involved in the hoax yet. Did Manti Tebow ever actually receive any phone calls from his "supposed" girlfriend?
They'd better produce a female co-conspirator damn quick.
- A big story related to this is the absolute shitty "journalism" standards displayed by many of the major players. Pete Thamel from SI who wrote a big story in the fall issued his mea culpa today, making all sorts of excuses for why he was duped, including that he had a deadline in 2 hours.
Then I see on ESPN this afternoon, an ESPN reporter is reporting that Teo's friend has "confessed." How do they know? A woman said that the friend confessed. But, they couldn't reach the woman. So, instead of waiting to confirm, they rushed as to be one of the first ones to update the story with something, anything.
- [quote] It seems like the 'confession' is all hearsay.
Yeah, a friend-of-a-friend who doesn't want her name or photo used out of "fear for her family." Sounds legit.
- "So there is no girl who has been identified as being involved in the hoax yet."
Don't forget that Manti and members of his family claim to have met "her" in real life, too.
- The details of the confession, as I remember hearing them, seem pretty lame -- basically, they just bolster the 'Manti was duped by a cruel trickster' story. Poor innocent boy, that Manti. His 'boyfriend' is gonna be the fall guy in this thing. It's all designed to win him the Heisman, oops, I mean get him drafted by a top NFL team.
Don't want no one to know-ohh!
Tryin' to claim
He's just an innocent do-ope!!!
And now everyone knows!!!
- I really wanted to get into Manti's panties!!
- More craziness:
Manti's family is now claiming that "Lennay" called Manti after she supposedly died and told him that she faked her death to elude drug dealers. Supposedly he asked for a time stamped photo to verify that it was really her and "she" sent one
Funny how we've heard from his family and friends saying what a wonderful guy he is and how he was the victim of a cruel hoax....but we haven't heard from Manti himself.
- Mike Walters of "TMZ" was just on Fox News with Greta Van Susteren, totally and completely laying the blame for this fiasco on Ronaiah Tuiascosopo -- even more than I expected. In what sounded like a very contrived story, Walters called Manti the "very naive" victim of a "sick, sick joke" -- catfishing. Apparently, Harvey Levin and "TMZ" are totally falling into line with the official story coming from Manti and Notre Dame. I thought more of Levin, but it seems he's a complete media tool. Of course, he must be getting paid off with access to other people and stories, etc. This reminds me of "Entertainment Tonight" playing along with the Howard K. Stern "baby-daddy" charade when Anna Nicole died.
- Will this young idiot please just fess up and disappear?
- [quote] In what sounded like a very contrived story, Walters called Manti the "very naive" victim of a "sick, sick joke" -- catfishing. Apparently, Harvey Levin and "TMZ" are totally falling into line with the official story coming from Manti and Notre Dame. I thought more of Levin, but it seems he's a complete media tool.
I'm not surprised at all that TPTB are trying to cover this story up. I'm sure that lots and lots of money is involved.
After all, you Notre Dame and the Catholics, and Te'o and the Mormons, both with their reputations on the line.
This story will quickly be swept under the rug by the media, and this Ronaiah character will be the scapegoat.
- What? Not one of you bitches has posted "EST"?
What about a rating of 2/10?
You bitches are losing your touch!
- [quote]The football player is dumb enough to think he was talking to a girl he'd never have to touch.
Um, no. He was in on it. Had to have been.
I heard about this story for the first time today.The fact that the girl's picture came from someone the player knew proves he did this himself. That profile was nothing but a cover up for their gay relationship.
Oh the DEPTHS people have to go to to be in the closet! Is so sad.
- This article has the scoop about the picture.
She did not agree to have her image used on this account and it was acquired by a classmate of the football players. ie, a friend. HE WAS IN ON IT.
[quote][bold]That photo hadn't appeared on the internet—at least, not to Reba's knowledge. She had taken it in December 2012 and sent it directly to an old high school acquaintance. [/bold]The two hadn't talked since graduation, but [bold]the classmate, whom Reba remembered fondly, contacted her on Facebook with a somewhat convoluted request[/bold]: His cousin had been in a serious car accident, and he had seen her photos before and thought she was pretty. Would she be so kind as to take a picture of herself holding up a sign reading "MSMK," to put in a slideshow to support the cousin's recovery? (He didn't explain what MSMK meant, and Reba still doesn't know.) Baffled but trusting, Reba made the sign and sent along the photo.
[quote]And now here it was on a dead girl's Twitter profile. After googling Lennay Kekua's name, Reba began to piece things together. She called up the classmate. He expressed alarm,[bold] Reba told us later, and "immediately began acting weird." "Don't worry about it," he told her. Moments after the phone call, Reba's picture was removed from the @LoveMSMK Twitter profile. Then, in a series of lengthy phone calls, Reba told us everything she knew about the classmate, a star high school quarterback turned religious musician named Ronaiah Tuiasosopo.[/bold]
- R201? WTF? Why link to the article that started it all? We read that article 2 days ago. You're acting like that is somehow new information.
- Brett Rocheleau, ND student body president, has suggested that Manti may have never met his 'girlfriend' because "being part of the football team he had to be in South Bend a lot doing a lot of different training, especially through out the summer, so maybe he wasn't able to meet him (sic)."
This was another interview on the Greta Van Susteren show Friday night. And, yes, this brain-trust did say "him" when referring to Manti's 'girlfriend' -- perhaps the only moment of (unintended) truth in the whole interview, and a suggestion of what was really on his mind.
For the most part, Brett-boy claimed that the majority of the student body believes Manti's story, and repeated, over and over again like it had been drummed into him, "It will definitely be interesting to hear his side of the story."
- r217 - I didn't link to anything. I was commenting on the r191's link, which is from today.
- Breaking News: Manti (with his lawyer) is, at this moment, giving an interview to ESPN's Jeremy Schaap.
- from r191 links.
[quote]He (Ronaiah) told me that Manti was not involved at all, he was a victim. ... The girlfriend was a lie, the accident was a lie, the leukemia was a lie...He was crying, he was literally crying, he's like "I know, I know what I have to do."
I know what I have to do because if I don't the heavies at ND will make my life hell-just like the did that woman who killed herself.
UGH this whole thing fucking STINKS.
- r201- you're right though it IS hearsay.
A "source" told us = This is the story we're given to print, don't ask questions.
- Here's a football player who claims he met "Lennay"
Why are people covering for him?
- So How much is ND willing to shell out to protect this closet case???
- [quote]Why are people covering for him?
Because he's been a bossy bottom for all of them.
- How can they? He has already implicated himself. This should be reiterated.
- Why are people covering for him?
A star football player is GOLD to the School. For fuck's sake has all the Bulshit from Penn State taught us nothing.
There is WAY too much $$$$$$$$$$ invested in the program and ALL the publicity and celebrity that goes along with it.
This guy may to have been a big deal nationally but locally and to the program he was GOLD.
I think these two came up with this 'girlfriend' so he could avoid all the pressure from the club to FUCK and RAPE girls in his free time. Perhaps someon on the other end of that twitter account was his real BOYFRIEND and this was how they could communicate. But one thing led to another and it was exposed.
The school is trying to cover it up but it's just getting messy .
For fuck's sake - the easies thing would be to admit the guy's gay but there goes all the $$$$$ his persona brings to the program.
The sick thing is that his family is in on it.
This whole organisation is SICK.
They've harrassed a woman for speaking out against rape until she killed herself - what the fuck would they do to a gay players boyfriend?
- "Breaking News: Manti (with his lawyer) is, at this moment, giving an interview to ESPN's Jeremy Schaap."
Why is he lawyering up if he has nothing to hide?
- "It will definitely be interesting to hear his side of the story."
And an hour later, Manti's talking to ESPN. I love it. This thing is so staged, it's sick.
- Here is a list of all the media inconsistencies in their coverage of "Lennay"
Notice the part where Manti's dad says Lennay would travel to Hawaii to meet Manti.
- Wow r230.
The extent of this ebearding and the lengths the media was willing to play along with it makes me understand how big celebrities can stay in the closet for so long.
The disgusting thing is how this whole scenario speaks to the idea that being gay is some HUGE fucking scandal that media, families, and entire schools feel like they have some fucking moral obligation to cover up.
It's such a fucking systemic LIE. ALL of it!
- From ESPN.com: Manti Te'o denies being part of hoax
Manti Te'o denied being part of a hoax involving a relationship with a person online whom he considered his girlfriend, during an interview with ESPN on Friday night.
"No. Never," Te'o said in an interview with ESPN's Jeremy Schaap.
"I wasn't faking it," he said. "I wasn't part of this."
The Notre Dame linebacker also said that he did not make up anything to help his Heisman Trophy candidacy.
"When (people) hear the facts, they'll know," he said. "They'll know that there is no way that I could be part of this."
Te'o spoke at the IMG Training Academy in Bradenton, Fla., where he is preparing for the NFL draft. There were no cameras at the 2½-hour interview, which was recorded.
- Am I missing something about new dating techniques now? Why are people meeting dates on the internet but never meeting them for long periods of time? This guy said he hadn't met her yet but was so choked up over her "death". WTH????
- Maybe this fiasco will show gay college athletes, their homophobic coaches, their greedy colleges and their dumb fans, that it's better to just come out of the closet in the digital age. And it's the right thing to do.
- I'm rather intrigued by the especially close proximity between the grandmother's death and the 'girlfriend's'.
You think, just maybe, there might be some connection?
I mean, let's say, Granny's dying and she tells her Manti, in a sweet, grandmotherly sort of way, how much she'd like to see him with a "nice girl" before she goes -- something she's never actually seen since Manti's always been 'too busy with football' for girls.
Then, shortly thereafter, dutiful Manti tells his beloved Granny that he's finally met a "nice girl" named 'Lennay' and... well, you know the rest of the story.
Of course, once Granny's gone, Manti doesn't really need 'her' any more, so, a few hours later, bye-bye, 'Lennay'.
What do you think -- too incredible to be true?
- He told a South Bend newspaper that he met Lennay on Nov. 28, 2009:
Lennay Kekua was a Stanford student and Cardinal football fan when the two exchanged glances, handshakes and phone numbers that fateful weekend three seasons ago.
But apparently the "Lennay" internet profile did not exist until 2011. Huh? How did he meet her in 2009, then?
Even if he was Catfished, he still lied to the press to make this relationship more than it was and he lied about how long they had "known" each other. He also told Sports Illustrated that they had known each other for four years. Why not just say "I met this girl on the internet, chatted with her, and we became close." Why say she is the love of your life and lie about when you met and how long you have known each other? He lied, period, even if he isn't the one who invented Lennay.
- He told Sports Illustrated that he met the girl after a game. I'm too lazy to look it up but a SI reporter posted his interview and fact-check transcript with Manti. A couple of things stood out to me.
1. He makes these statements about his dead girlfriend that are just unbelievable. Says that she was in a coma and her family was going to pull the plug. Yet, he also said he talked to her on the phone and he could hear her breathing. And that he would sleep all night on the phone with her. While she was in a coma. I just found this so detailed as to be unbelievable.
2. Manti provided so many exact details to the reporter that it seemed to be overkill, to me. Research has shown that liars will often embellish in an effort to make their stories more believable.
3. Though he had extremely specific details about his girlfriend, her illness and her car accident, he did not have details about certain aspects that he should have known. One was her injuries. He didn't know what kinds of injuries she had sustained in her car crash. He tried to gloss over the details of their first meeting.
4. He continued to talk about his dead girlfriend after he had been alerted to her fakeness.
- Oh, I meant to say that I read one very interesting theory that hasn't been proposed very much.
Manti grew up a USC fan. He was supposed to attend USC but decided to go to Notre Dame. This pissed off and hurt the So. Cal. polynesian community. Ronaiah and his family are huge USC supporters.
Someone proposed that Ronaiah and others "punked" Manti as revenge for attending Notre Dame. To me, this rang somewhat true as I do believe that diehard sports fans will do almost anything for their teams.
Another theory: that Ronaiah is Fa'afafine and he and Manti are in a relationship. And that the whole hoax was a cover for their relationship. And obviously, Ronaiah was dressing as a woman and meeting others as a woman.
- I think he's mentally ill and everyone is trying to cover it up.
- Deadspin has excerpts from the transcript that r237 referenced:
SI: How did you meet her?
TE'O: We met just, ummmm, just she knew my cousin. And kind of saw me there so. Just kind of regular.
SI: How long were you dating? I know that can be a complicated question.
TE'O: Oct. 15 was the official date. Of last year. I've known her for four years. So we've been friends.
SI: So you dated for about a year.
SI: She has a Hawaiian sounding name. Is she from there?
TE'O: Her real name is actually Melelengei, but her friends couldn't say that so they just called her Lennay.
SI: What did she do?
TE'O: She actually just graduated from Stanford. She worked at Clark's Construction Company, I think. She replaced her dad after her dad passed.
SI: What did she study?
TE'O: She graduated in 2011 or 2010. 2011.
SI: What was her major?
TE'O: Her major was in English and something. I'll double check.
So this is the girl who was the love of his life...and he doesn't know when she graduated or what her major was? And he gives Oct. 15 as the "official date" when they started dating....even though they never met or went out on a date. And he claims he went to visit her in the hospital. Which of course he didn't do.
- Espn changed their story about Te'o's interview. it originally said:
"A group of people, including a woman claiming to be Kekua, showed up at the team hotel for the Discover BCS National Championship Game in Miami. Te’o said he knew they were at the hotel because the group took photos in the hotel lobby. Te’o said it affected his play in the game, where Notre Dame lost to Alabama 42-14."
then was changed to:
"A group of people related to Tuiasosopo showed up at the team hotel for the Discover BCS National Championship Game in Miami. Te’o said he knew they were at the hotel because the group took photos in the hotel lobby. Te’o said it affected his play in the game, where Notre Dame lost to Alabama 42-14."
They cut out the part about a woman claiming to be Kekua showing up.
- Also, Manti claimed Ronaiah apologized to him on twitter, even though Ronaiah deleted his twitter account weeks ago and there are no apology messages on Manti's twitter feed
- Check out this picture the Daily Mail has, apparently from Tuiasosopo's MySpace. Gay gay gay.
- I wonder if we will ever heard directly from Ronaiah, or from the male and female "catfishers" who supposedly helped him in this hoax
- That pic. So gay. It's scary.
Manti. Ronaiah. Lovers.
No Cat. No Fish. No Pussy.
End of story.
(And their fucking must be scorching.)
- The media gives him such a pass, he'll get away with it.
Isn't anybody going to question his lies?
- Omg, R240. That interview is RIDICKULOUS. The ESPN people must have been shitting themselves over the lies being spun.
If I was sitting there listening to this crap, at some point I would blurt out, "MARY, PLEASE!!!"
The stories don't make sense, he is completely unsure of the details, and he went from "Lennay" being a full on girlfriend, to her being an internet/phone acquaintance. LIAR!
I predict one of two things. This Miss Ronaiah character (whose drag name will be RANAYAH), will either be found dead in some back alley, or he'll write a tell-all book. Either way, Manty is screwed.
What a tangled web he weaved.
- The media won't say it, but I will - this Ronaiah kid was trolling for cock - and Manti took the bait.
The fact that they are both football players, both Samoan, and close in age, screams to me to be something of a Craigslist hookup gone awry.
They met, they fucked, they liked each other, and they set up a phony m/f relationship to throw people off the trail.
The story broke, and now Tuisosopo is taking the fall for his b/f.
Watch this Hawaii news station story, and tell me that this whole thing doesn't STINK on ice.
- Oh, and the most DAMNING thing about that story at R248, is that it was apparently Ronaiah IMPERSONATING Lennay Kekua over the phone, and that's who Manti Teo was talking to.
Now you have GOT to be fucking kidding me.
So Manti Teo has a long distance phone/internet relationship, and he has no clue that the person over the phone is a man?
It was also brought up that there was not just ONE person impersonating "Lennay," but rather there were THREE people - Ronaiah, and two cousins.
Yet you mean to tell me that Teo had NO IDEA that "Lennay's" voice was three different people, not to mention that one was a MALE voice???
Oh, c'mon now.
Teo was in on it, and he is most likely gay and had a relationship with Ronaiah Tuiasosopo.
- This is more than just he's gay and trying to hide it.
He had absolutely no reason to talk to the media about this girl. I know absolutely nothing about the love lives of any other college player.
Plus, if you were around college athletes at all, the super-dedicated player that is all about football and stays away from girls isn't that unusual in that culture. Add in being religious and "waiting for a nice girl" and you can easily get away with never dating.
Finally, why concoct some melodramatic death? If they'd just simply broke up and stopped contact, the episode would have not been at all news-worthy and no one would know anything about this.
- I don't think the girlfriend story was meant to become so big . It may have started as a small lie to get his parents (and maybe some teammates) off his back , then the parents wanted to know more about her . So Lennay got a name and a backstory , the problem, the parents still want to meet that girl. Lennay gets into bad accident and can't travel . At that point the lie became too big to handle and Lennay needed to go away forever . Why kill her off the same time his grandmother really died ? No need to try to fake grieve. This whole thing didn't happen in a vacuum , he's around people and people have agendas , ND was looking for publicity for its football team and probably egged him on and that's one of the reasons why they are trying to cover his ass now
- R249 and R251 nailed it. I did not read the rest of the replies in this thread.
- That pic is not gay. Dudes have similar pics all over the Internet. It is not atypical. Some of you live in such a gay centric subculture, you are deluded about how average heterosexual guys live and operate today. It makes you sound delusional and agenda-driven. Also, you are perpetuating archaic stereotypes by asserting a mere pic indicates sexual orientation. Very ignorant.
- When asked if he was a part of the hoax, Te'o, who was interviewed with an attorney present at IMG Sports Academy in Bradenton, Fla., responded, "I wasn't faking it, I wasn't part of this." As for why Te'o never visited his dying girlfriend in the hospital, he told Schaap, "It never really crossed my mind."
It never crossed his mind to go visit the love of his life as she lay dying in a hospital.
Dude, that's cold.
- Hmm...I'm starting to think Manti T'eo really was an innocent dupe and that makes the story a whole lot less interesting. A canny scam for publicity (and incidental bearding) by an up-and-coming football star with some near-relations is a more intriguing a tale than what the reality now seems to be: a trusting, inexperienced guy led on a merry dance by some internet (later phone) acquaintances.
Ronaiah Tuiasosopo is the key to this mystery. T'eo now says he only met RT once and that was [italic]after[/italic] "Lennay" supposedly died but if it can be proved that he and T'eo knew each other well beforehand then all bets are off.
- One thing that makes me think he might not have been in on it..was the fact he talked about it, in the press, a lot. That she was sick, that she was in a car accident, where she graduated from, that she died. These are all easily checkable. Sure the press just accepted what ever he said and didn't check one fact.
On the other hand he might have just gotten cocky because no one ever checked. The fact that he said he met her in person and then recanted that. He is now downplaying the whole relationship as not 4 years ongoing but rather on and off and she pursued him. I don't buy that.
- Fair point, R253.
However, when you add that "exuberant" photo to the story that Ronaiah Tuiasosopo was actually the person pretending to be "Lennay" on the 'phone to T'eo then you have to wonder how masculine Tuiasosopo comes across in real life.
He certainly must be a strange bird.
- R85/R88/R110/R125/R161/R164 is the entitled cunt who has been crapping her homophobic, ageist, entitiled drivel all over the site. She thinks that by hiding behind "don't speak if you can't take it" she can spread her hate speech as she will. She's managed to tell everyone about her archaeologist father with whom she has issues, that she is rich, that she went to a fancy private school - and that she has to insert her loathing of gays and older people in every thread because of her twat issues.
She's playing "voice of reason" like she learned in sophomore year and has that insane tenacity associate with the worst trolls here. Oh - she also is APPALLED by the DL and gay men. Asshole.
- If her were smart he'd STOP TALKING NOW. He needs to just stop and whomever is coaching him to respond to any questions at all is NOT out for his best interests.
He could just say he just doesn't want to talk about it, "because it's personal and embarrassing".
People can read that statement however they want and he can get on with his game. FFS dude just stop opening your mouth.
- Notre Dame investigated this, right? And the Athletic Director (who is an attorney) is standing behind this kid, and even went all in the other day with a press conference stating as much.
I can't make heads or tails of it, but I can't imagine that after Sandusky a big time football program would do this (especially for a kid who has already left for the pros), unless they had the facts to back it up. What do they stand to lose if this kid gets thrown under the bus?
They're not that stupid, are they?
- R260, the combination of Notre Dame and Football means that no one is thinking clearly. Crazy Catholics going crazy over football which is more important than the Eucharist to them. Do this in remembrance of FOOTBALL!!
- To you guys who are so convinced media outlets like ESPN are in on a cover-up:
Do you really think they'd risk the reputation they have to protect this one guy? Do you really think they believe that if they say Te'o was duped, everyone else will stop checking and investigating?
Maybe Manti is gay, I don't know. But some of you are so desperate for him to be gay that it's unbelievable. You completely dismiss any chance Te'o was catfished so that you can promote the gay liar story.
- After reading more about this, it's perfectly obvious what happened here. This had absolutely nothing to do with coveing up being gay and everything to do getting publicity and a compelling story to win the Heisman.
Initially, I think Manti did get by punked by this guy who sent him photos of the Victoria's Secret model and made up some intricate back story about "her" life. They probably texted back and forth a lot and sent naked pics. Manti probably showed his buddies the pics of this hot chick who was txting him. This sort of thing happens all the time - people making up whole internet personnas and tricking people - it just doesn't usually become national news. A lot of guys probably do it as ruse to get dick pics.
When Manti starts to really push her to get together, she conveniently gets sick and dies.
Where this all blew up is when Manti decided to grossly exaggerate this superficial internet relationship into some grand tragic romance to garner extra sympathy and publicity that could help his run for the Heisman.
So - he made up stories about meeting, talking on the phone, etc. He probably figured, hey, she's dead so she can't deny it.
I don't think he realized she never existed at all. That's what blew the story up - when reporters went looking for her and found out she never existed.
So basically, the guy was gullible enough to believe all the shit some person on the internet (who he never actually met) was true, and he was dishonest enough to lie about the actual details of the relationship out of simple self-aggrandizement.
Think most of his friends, family suspected he was doing the latter all along, and are trying to cover for him now to some degree.
- "To you guys who are so convinced media outlets like ESPN are in on a cover-up"
Uh...you realize they didn't bother to check this story in the first place, right? ESPN, Sports Illustrated, etc. ran stories on him pretending that Lennay existed without bothering to check it out. Didn't ask to contact "her" family or anything like that.
"Initially, I think Manti did get by punked by this guy who sent him photos of the Victoria's Secret model and made up some intricate back story about "her" life. They probably texted back and forth a lot and sent naked pics."
The woman whose photos they used is not a Victoria's secret model and they couldn't have sent any naked pics of her because she didn't give them any. She says Ronaiah only contacted her one time to send a photo (and it wasn't a naked photo).
- Okay, which one of you bitches broke DL today?
- Not one question from the major media outlets like ESPN or Sports Illustrated if Manti is gay. Not even 'what do you think of these assumptions that you created this "girlfeiend story" to cover-up the fact you might be gay. Are you gay?" A straight man, who knows he's straight, would have no problem answering this question. A gay man who hates who he is would find the question very offensive and intrusive.
It seems they are trying everything to avoid the pink elephant in the room.
- He didn't "makeup a girlfriend", he made up a heart-wrenching tale and a doomed relationship with a girlfriend who died. There is a huge difference here. You might do the former to deflect suspicions about you being gay, but you don't do the latter. The last thing you'd want to do draw extra attention to your relationship with your phantom girlfriend.
- Drama is what these catfishing trolls live for, milking the emotions of their victims.
"Treat 'em mean, keep 'em keen."
- Link to NEW THREADS thread, while DL is "broken".
Paste links to your new threads here so others can find them:
- "That pic is not gay. Dudes have similar pics all over the Internet. It is not atypical. Some of you live in such a gay centric subculture, you are deluded about how average heterosexual guys live and operate today. It makes you sound delusional and agenda-driven. Also, you are perpetuating archaic stereotypes by asserting a mere pic indicates sexual orientation. Very ignorant."
Say what you want, R253. The pic is still 'gay' whether the dude's straight or not. And he ain't straight. It's there: in the attitude, the pose, and, most of all, those dark glasses. It's a synthesis of elements that you're unable to perceive as being what they are: fucking flaming queer. That's your problem, and your 'ignorance'. The pic's gay, the dude's gay, and his football playing boyfriend is gay. And, remember, stereotypes exist because they're true. Whether you consider them archaic, or not. End of story (again).
- What was flaming queer 20 years ago has been adopted by a lot of young straight males and it appeals to young girls. All without a hint of irony. It's bizarre to me, but I don't think they have a clue what subculture these looks came from. If you were to ask them, they'd say hip hop or something
But, yeah, regardless of the picture the story itself screams gay to me. I mean it screams gay to lots of straight guys in the sports blogs.
- I would assume that Ronaiah is gay. Why waste the psychic energy to carry out this farce without the chance of sexual gratification. He knew of Manti; we assume it didn't make him money; it couldn't make him happy after months. It was libidinal.
Manti has lied too much to be considered. If he were closeted, why would he create so much intrigue into his sex life? He may or may not be rational; he's certainly a pathological liar.
- Has anyone been able to establish a link between the two? Did their paths ever intersect: same high school, summer football camp, or something? Do they know each other mutually within the Polynesian community? Someone mentioned that some in the community felt betrayed when Teo went to ND because of their huge support for USC and this was a set up for retribution. Which doesn't make much sense due the the huge potential for blow up. And the fact that Teo rode it.
- If he had gone on mission like all good Mormons, his lying skills would have been much advanced and he would not now find himself in this predicament! Show some sang-froid Manti, being caught in a lie need not bother you one bit!
- He wasn't some hapless catfishee... This guy created the big hoax. Why he did it is another question, but it's fairly obvious to anyone not mentally defective that he perpetrated this lie.
- I don't think the guy is very bright. He should have just shut up several weeks ago. Tebow is probably watching very carefully and learning that he needs to do a better job with pretend girlfriends.
- He is an idiot. Not surprising since he plays for Notre Dame and only knows football. Of course if he wasn't a ND football player, no one would give a crap.
- But a Mormon playing for Notre Dame is like a West Point cadet playing for the Naval Academy. Very strange.
- "Fuck the NFL draft. I'm going to make a fortune when I sell the movie rights to this fucking story."
- He's lying about not being involved in the hoax. He freely admits in his latest interview that he DID lie to family and friends about the girlfriend. Supposedly because he felt they'd think he was so stupid for ONLY being involved this way with someone he had never met. So he *was* hoaxing people about his relationship, even if he thought this 'girl' existed.
He may very well be stupid (he's a football player after all), but even if he wasn't involved in the bigger hoax (of the invented girlfriend), which is still doubtful to me .... he got caught up in the attention that his girlfriend's 'sob story' generated and in doing so, kept on talking and talking and his stories got bigger and bigger as time went on.
I agree with others. He let this all get out of control himself (even if he wasn't the starter of the original hoax) .... and it won't affect his NFL draft pick all that much.
- "Tebow is probably watching very carefully and learning that he needs to do a better job with pretend girlfriends"
Let's introduce Tim to "Lennay"
- Katie is supposed to have him on her show for an interview. Will he show up? Will his lawyer be sitting with him?
- Rosie O tweeted "I think Manti T'eo is gay"
- Whoa! She's saying what many are thinking. Good deal!
Now she needs to tweet about Aaron Schock.
- The girl turned out to be fake, but the emotions Manti Te'o felt at the time of her supposed death were real, the Notre Dame linebacker said.
Te'o spoke to ABC's Katie Couric for his first on-camera interview since news broke last week that his supposed girlfriend, Lennay Kekua, did not exist. Segments of the conversation have been released in advance of the full interview, which will air Thursday on Couric's daytime talk show.
Te'o had spoken to reporters repeatedly about his supposed girlfriend and her battle with cancer, a story that captivated college football fans throughout the fall of 2012, when the Heisman Trophy runner-up helped his team to an undefeated regular season and to the national championship game.
When asked whether he had had something to gain by keeping that story alive, Te'o said: "The only thing I basked in is that I had an impact on people. That people turned to me for inspiration. ... My story, I felt, was a guy who, in times of hardship and in times of trial, really held strong to his faith, held strong to his family."
"Even if that hardship was perhaps exaggerated?" Couric asked.
"What I went through was real," Te'o said. "The feelings, the pain, the story. That was all real."
- [quote]"What I went through was real," Te'o said. "The feelings, the pain, the story. That was all real."
- In an interview that aired today, Notre Dame quarterback Manti Te'o told Katie Couric that he's not gay when she asked him if he made up the dead girlfriend story to hide his sexual orientation.
COURIC:"One of the theories, many theories, MAnti, making the rounds, is somehwo you created this whole scenario to cover up your sexual orientation. Are you gay?"
TE'O: No. (Laughs) Far from from it. Faaaaar from that."
- [quote] Are you gay? TE'O: No. (Laughs) Far from from it. Faaaaar from that.
Te'o: *crossing fingers* Okay, so I made that part up.
Interesting how he switches from "far from it" to "far from that." I don't know why it's interesting, I just find it to be suspicious.
Poor kid. He's 21/22 and caught up in a national media scandal. His mom looked heartbroken and his dad tried his best to defend his son.
I'm inclined to believe that Te'o is gay, which is the ONLY reason he would go this far to be complicit in one of the strangest media hoaxes we've seen, probably ever.
The pressure to be straight must be INTENSE, being from a moron family - oops! - I mean mormon family, and attending a storied catholic school. There's no way he could ever come out, no matter what the circumstance.
So he probably had phone sex with this Ronaiah character, a little role playing, sexy talk with Ronaiah using his "female" voice, etc., etc.
Why he would ever take this story to the media is beyond me, except to garner favor with the Heisman voters. If this story was leaked to Notre Dame before the Heisman presentation, it would explain why Te'o lost to freshman (douchebag) quarterback Manziel, even though Te'o won every other football award of the year. The committee knew what was coming.
Te'o is really handsome, but definitely in over his head.
Sucks to be him.
- How did Lennay contact him in the first place? He's been sketchy about how they "met." He's said that she knew his cousin and that they met after a game, but obviously that isn't true.
- Or, R288, Ronaiah just used his 'male' voice. Maybe the people being 'catfished' are his family and the public.
- I wish you all and the media would leave this young man alone. Stop implying that he's gay . There's nothing to indicate that this points to anything as slanderous and disgusting as that so why continue to bring it up. He's obviously traumatized by what's happened. Just leave him the Fuck alone.
- R291, who are you?
My initial tkae was that the whole thing was a gay cover, but all the evidence at this point really does point to him being the dupee, not the duper. It's astonishing, but apparently not unique.
- I think he's just an idiot. He looks like a meatloaf with eyes.
- I don't care if he's gay or not or if he was somehow complicit or not. All I care about is that the interview showed that the man is as dumb as a box of rocks.
- Teo is having an affair with this guy who was his hoax girlfriend.
- Some "expert" just on TV (GMA) said that after reviewing the tapes, the voice was definitely female because men can't do the same inflections and tones as women.
I don't think this is true, but, you know, he is an "expert" and all...
Teo did not know the person on the other side was male. The voice mails he produced are pretty clear that the person was presenting as a female.
As a big sports fan, I would love for there to be a gay (openly or not) NFL player, especially one as heralded as Manti. It's pretty clear-- from both what he has said as well as the evidence he has produced-- that he thought all along that he was interacting with a woman.
- [quote] men can't do the same inflections and tones as women.
Obviously he's never seen me in concert.
- Alleged to have spent hundreds of hours on the phone. No way the guy did his falsetto that truly for that long and it was the guy's phone number. This is b.s.
- What's worse is that he claims his emotions were real, yet never wanted to visit her or go to her funeral or anything.
This could make an excellent comedy.
- [quote]As a big sports fan, I would love for there to be a gay (openly or not) NFL player
For those gay guys who follow sports, is Brendon Ayanbadejo just gay-friendly, or is he actually gay? He's supposed to make some major statement at the Super Bowl in support of gay marriage. Could he be coming out?
- Until I see/hear/watch the Ronuaianyuiah person speak myself, I do not believe the tapes
we heard were of a male voice, gay or not.
There's still more shit they're not telling us.
The Ronuaihyaiahu person is taking the fall and is promised a payoff when Manti gets drafted with a multi million dollar contract.
- Tuiasosopo had a female partner in crime who did all the 'phone calling.
She met one of the other scam victims (the Cardinals player) in character as "Lennay". That guy described her as being polynesian, pretty and tall, with the figure of a volleyball player.
The penny finally dropped for Te'o when Tuiasosopo and his co-conspirator tried to bring "Lennay" back from the dead after they saw Te'o becoming a superstar athlete and possible Heisman Trophy winner. Te'o had been suspicious but, stupidly, still unsure of the reality until that point.
I agree with the posters saying he's as dumb as a box of rocks.
- "Tuiasosopo had a female partner in crime who did all the 'phone calling."
But didn't Ronaiah's lawyer say he was the one who made all the phone calls?
- Here you go, R305.
- Has Manti ever explained why he didn't meet his 'girlfriend' when he was in So. Calif. for the USC game -- the one where he hooked up with Ronaiah for the weekend? Is this supposed to be the time when 'her' brother unexpectedly took the family car, so she couldn't meet him? ('She' couldn't find someone else to drive 'her'?) Are we really supposed to believe that the 'love of his life' was just several miles away, and they couldn't find a way to meet up? Who makes up these moronic stories?
- Yes, because there are apparently no rental cars in So.Cal. And the woman who was a Stanford grad and managed her family's construction business couldn't afford one.
- Yeah, that's a bit of a stretch, R307. That's what I don't get - in all the time they were 'together', they never met? I mean, he's a fucking football player with $$. Don't tell me you'd never meet the woman of your dreams if you could. Also, didn't he say they did meet? Or his dad indicated they did, and she was a lovely girl? Lots of rot in this story.
- I hope the media keeps pushing this story, like the online site that broke it. He is trying very hard to 'get his story out there' even though it seems there are more holes than swiss cheese. Now this week, People magazine is peddling his 'woe is me' story.
If they just keep spouting that crap, the truth (whatever it is) won't come out.
He may not have started the story, but he perpetuated it for his own benefit.
And no one is saying how 'off' it is that this 'girl' he supposedly cared so much about had such troubles and he never saw her, didn't visit her, didn't attend her funeral .... why aren't people asking how he could be that cold and heartless ?? (I guess he'd just spout that 'she said don't bother....play football for me' crap)
- R309, college football players do not get paid as athletes. Many are poor.
- So many people just want this story to go away because they're bored with it and feel this poor stupid kid has been taken advantage of. But the more details that come out, the deeper the hole this guy digs for himself. NOBODY tells such an elaborate story, with such bizarre details, without a serious motive.
- [quote]Te'o is really handsome,
R288 must have serious vision problems. R294 has it right: "He looks like a meatloaf with eyes."
- [quote] Don't tell me you'd never meet the woman of your dreams if you could. Also, didn't he say they did meet? Or his dad indicated they did, and she was a lovely girl? Lots of rot in this story.
Also, Teo mentioned something like "I loved that Lennay spoke fluent Samoan."
Now Ronaiah might speak fluent Samoan, but a "Lennay Kekua" would not speak fluent Samoan, because Kekua is a Hawaiian name.
And I'll give you a million bucks if you can find me a Hawaiian who can speak fluent Samoan. You can barely find a Hawaiian who can speak fluent Hawaiian!
- Why does it matter who I am, r292? Leave him alone. This is why you are hated.
- After reading various articles about this story, and watching several TV pieces about it, I still don't understand why it's such a big deal. So, a college football player was catfished? And...??
- Harvey Levin of "TMZ" continues to pound the "Manti's an innocent victim of a cruel hoax" drum -- despite the stories getting crazier every day. What a total media tool Levin is. Someone must have promised him an interview with Manti, if he plays along.
- Will you be me new sick girlfriend on a phone? I love youp.
- If Harvey Levin says he's in the clear then you know he's in the clear, r317. I can't for the life of me figure out why you and others like you are so twisted and nasty as to subject this young man to a witch hunt. Leave him the fuck alone.
- [quote]subject this young man to a witch hunt.
What do you consider a "witch hunt" - claiming that he's a closet case, saying he looks like a meatloaf with two eyes, saying he's not very bright, claiming that he was in on the hoax? Where is the witch hunt that you're seeing?
- He is throwing himself to the wolves for Manti - Dr. Phil is paying for an exclusive interview.
- Why does he have slant eyes? I thought only the Chinese and Japanese and Koreans had them?.
- [quote] For those gay guys who follow sports, is Brendon Ayanbadejo just gay-friendly, or is he actually gay?
I have no idea whether or not he's gay, but he's SUPER sexy. Whatever the case, he's hot and he's on our side.
- I think it is a big deal because even after he supposedly found out it was a hoax, he still gave interviews talking about his dead girlfriend. It's creepy
- Thank you, R324. The big deal is that he lied about it, his father lied about it, Notre Dame lied about it. WHY? There's gotta be a real reason and it's not just as simple as "he was embarrassed".
- I still think Notre Dame is involved somehow. Their evil this year came into its own.
- Look, I think Te'o was naive. He seems very sweet and trusting. He seems to have a great heart.
- R327, a great heart? He's faaaaaaaaaaar from someone like you.
- So stoooopid it hurts.
And he's a big ol fairy. Mark my words, the guy is pink ink in a spring Ungaro frock.
- R325, it's his homosexuality. Notre Dame probably finds the fact that a very talented and awarded college athlete is gay very embarrassing and tarnishing. Says a lot about what a horrible university that is. I could be wrong, but I highly doubt it.
- [quote]Dr. Phil is paying for an exclusive interview.
Isn't Dr. Phil a bit late with his exclusive? Katie Couric already scored high ratings with her exclusive Teo interview.
- Dr. Phil wants to make him cry.
- Dr. Phil will help keep him straight.
- Dr. Phil is interviewing Riandoaldhal, not Manti, R331.
- Dr.Phil is interviewing the catfish. He got paid 6 figures (rumor is 100K) He is going to go on Dr. Phil and basically take the blame for everything to get Te'o of the hook.
- That is a great boyfriend.
- I love Manti!