Man who helped Sandy Hook kids is harassed by conspiracy theorists
A man who found six children in his driveway in Newtown, Conn., after their teacher had been shot and killed in last month's school massacre has become the target of conspiracy theorists who believe the shootings were staged.
“I don’t know what to do,” Gene Rosen told Salon.com. “I’m getting hang-up calls, I’m getting some calls, I’m getting emails with, not direct threats, but accusations that I’m lying, that I’m a crisis actor, ‘How much am I being paid?'”
Rosen, a 69-year-old retired psychologist who lives near Sandy Hook Elementary School where the shootings took place, says his inbox is filled with emails like this one:
"How are all those little students doing? You know, the ones that showed up at your house after the ‘shooting’. What is the going rate for getting involved in a gov’t sponsored hoax anyway?"
“The quantity of the material is overwhelming,” Rosen said, adding that he's sought the advice of a retired state police officer and plans to alert the FBI.
On the morning of Dec. 14, Rosen had just finished feeding his cats when he saw six small children "sitting in a neat semicircle" at the end of his driveway. According to the Associated Press:
A school bus driver was standing over them, telling them things would be all right. It was about 9:30 a.m., and the children, he discovered, had just run from the school to escape a gunman.
"We can't go back to school," one little boy told Rosen. "Our teacher is dead."
Adam Lanza, the 20-year-old gunman, had shot his way into the school and opened fire, killing 20 children and six adults.
Rosen took the four girls and two boys—students of slain teacher Victoria Soto—into his home, gave them toys and comforted them while he tried to reach their parents. He spent the days following the massacre telling his story to the swarming media that invaded the small Connecticut town in the wake of the shootings.
“I wanted to speak about the bravery of the children,” Rosen told Salon. “I guess I kind of opened myself up to this.”
A quick Web search for Rosen's name reveals some of what he's opened himself up to: Appearing online are photos of his home, his address and phone number, several fake YouTube accounts and plenty of conspiracy theories.
One post, entitled "Grieving Town Grandfather, or Bad 'Crisis Actor,'" reads in part:
Gene's oft repeated, and changing, story about that day, focuses totally on the kids and the sound of gunshots. Even though his eyes and ears should've taken in the whole scene, his story focuses completely on the kids and the guns.
Why? Well, if this was a false flag event designed to move political opinion on gun control, here in America, then you would get a lot more bang for your buck by talking about the innocent little children. That's what tugs on America's heart strings the most ... especially around Christmas time.
- Ah that 4chan.
- Conspiracy theorists are the brain-damaged, egotistical scum of all human discourse. To me a conspiracy theorist sounds 100% identical to a speed freak who has been awake for 3-4 days (I've been around both). They're the intellectual equivalent of that black, mildewy stuff you find around the edges of bathtubs.
- I don't get how being nice to children makes one part of the conspiracy.
Any one of us would have helped those kids in the same way.
- Conspiracy theorist human filth are the textbook definition of people who are too stupid to have any conception of how stupid they sound. A self-escalating, cascade-effect problem, they are a mental lost cause if ever there was one.
- Some extremist gunnuts, radical NRA/militia types are invalidating the Sandy Hook massacre, calling it fiction so they can confuse and continue to block the gun control initiatives.
They've been stockpiling weapons since Obama's election in 2008, telling people he would take their guns. They've attended public rallies including events where he was speaking, with their assault rifles and guns on prominent display.
Now that Sandy Hook, Aurora, and the Gabby Giffords shooting in Arizona happened, as well as the mass shootings at the Sikh temple in Wisconsin, and Obama is initiating gun control legislation, they're crawling out of the woodwork like the vermin they are.
They're spoiling for an excuse to go to war. They're crazy. It's ashame that the internet has enabled crackpots & lunatics to access decent people like this poor man who gave refuge to these kids. I hope he knows these fringe crazies may be loud but they are outnumbered by good people who appreciate what he did.
- Here's a link to the original Salon story, which is worth reading.
- They need to leave this poor man alone. He should be given a medal by the president.
- This is awful. Poor man.
- They are probably also all birthers, don't believe in global warming, watch Fox TV all day long, and voted for Bristol Palin on Dancing with the Stars.
- Maybe if the media would stop treating these conspiracy theorists as news, it would help. Not every view is a legitimate one and deserves airing.
- R10, that would shut down the entire operations of Fox News.
- I don't understand why we're all pretending there aren't crazy fucking cunts like this on DL.
- There are but there numbers are small.
- r7 - A medal? For letting the kids come in his house? He didn't rush into the school and rescue them. I'm sure he's a nice man, but come on.
r2 & r4 - You know you sound unhinged, right?
- That story about the gun nuts is isane R5. And it's probably going to come true. OP's story is insane too. It's really hard to understand American's and what makes them tick at times.
Aren't you embarassed as a nation?
- R15, 47% of this country voted for a man who refused to release his tax returns.
HSBC Bank will not face any criminal charges because they are 'too big'.
Political Action Committees can legally launder drug money because they don't have to reveal their donor lists.
Individual states require companies to collect state income taxes from employees, but they allow the companies to keep those taxes collected as a bribe for staying.
The Newscorp wiretap scandal is considered a British problem.
Our Department of Defense has publicly formalized a plan to use propaganda in US media - they are using propaganda to influence the people they serve.
- R14 Frantically adjusting his tinfoil hat.
- I have a friend on Facebook who is posting non-stop about how the shootings never happened and how everyone involved is an actor. Girrrrrl, you should read the comments on her posts!