The surprising thing about this video is Schiavone's reaction to the man shouting "I [we?] love you Nole!". She smirks at Djokovic and touches her ear a couple of times - an Italian gesture that basically means "queer"/"fag" (I think the nonverbal exchange is basically Schiavone telling Djokovic, "Hear that? There's a fag interested in you"). This certainly wasn't lost on Djokovic (who's spent loads of time in Italy and is fluent in Italian, including the sometimes impenetrable hand gestures), who starts prissing about and blows the guy a kiss.
Honestly, Schiavone is a weird one...
- [R1] So does this gesture have + or - connotation? =p
Anyway, good news! Tomic would have to face Federer to get past R3 of AO. That means mostly likely no hype after the first week.
- Hope you'll all be watching ESPN to catch my Australian Open Pammentating! I'll share all the DIRT on the top players, and throw in some great BITS about life on the tour in the early DAYS when Billie Jean ruled the ROOST! Boy, did that Billie like to play GRABASS in the shower after a tough three TITTER. Oops, did I say three titter? I meant three SETTER! I can't imagine why a straight GAL like me would be talking about three tits - in all my years strolling the locker room, I never saw a DAME with three tits. Well, except Turnbull, of course.
- Love you, Pammie!
- I'm pretty sure he is a homophobe, R2. The guy is Serbian, and that tells you all you need to know.
- Is that who I think it is? =p
Anyway, I don't know. He's done a lot of things that could be seen as gay (underwear modelling, cross-dressing etc.) so whatevs. I don't know.
Also, if that gesture Schiavone did had a negative connotation then she's a hypocrite. She very much carries herself like a man and is very butch. She could easily be seen as gay herself.
- The gesture is negative, most certainly, as is the term associated with it ("recchione"/"ricchione"). But the idea of political correctness is so beyond unevolved in Italy, that most people have no conception of the offence it might cause.
What surprised me about Schiavone's use of the gesture is that she came across as an insensitive tool, and I'd always assumed she was anything but.
- For R599 in previous thread:
Nicest guys I've dealt with would include: Nieminen, Simon, Monfils, Baghdatis, Tsonga, Isner and Becker. They are all really positive, friendly and helpful. It's often difficult to get players to do things but these guys never let you down. The top guys are generally easy to work with too, although they like to change their minds a lot after you've made arrangements based on what's been agreed with them.
- So you've interacted with Fed, Rafa, Nole, Murray, R8? Any further info or stories? At that level, and not to 'defend' them unnecessarily, I wonder if it's their teams who are changing their minds and plans rather than the individual player.
Sometimes I wonder how much life the really top guys even live, with teams of people constantly surrounding them, the expectation to remain at the top, branding, endorsements. It just sounds like such a grind.
Not that they aren't well-compensated, of course.
- R7, I'm admittedly not well-versed in these gestures, this is all new to me (and interesting). Is it possible that Fran did that gesture tongue in cheek? Everyone knows that she is gay herself, so maybe she was playfully 'telling' Novak 'hey, looks like you've got a male admirer.' Is that even possible given its connotation? I really doubt that she of all people meant it in a derogatory, 'look at that fag' way.
R5, R6 is right that Novak himself has done a lot of stuff that a homophobe traditionally would not do: prancing around a catwalk in first a speedo and then tight underwear (with another guy), cross-dressing for laughs, inviting a boy who called out that he loved him at a US Open practice session to hit with him on the court. I don't know what his views are but he certainly does not act like one despite his nationality.
- (R9), mostly the changing comes from the players themselves who've decided they would now rather practise at this time rather than that time, or they would prefer head back to the hotel early, etc. etc. All the top guys are easy to work with but they do expect to get what they want which partly explains the amount of mollycoddling they get from their entourages. In that respect, Rafa's and Nole's teams are probably the worst.
And like all players, they like getting free stuff. One of my favorites was with Mrs Fed: he was supposed to meet some sponsors (mobile phone company) in their suite and they wanted to present him with a new phone. Mrs Fed was explaining to us that Fed really didn't feel like doing it at the moment, he wanted to rest, blah, blah, blah. We kept pushing and finally, her response was, "Can we get two?" "Yes, I'm sure we can get two." "OK."
- R10, yes it's very possible she thought she was being funny, perhaps even clever. And that's my point - there's a lack of sensitivity there that I wasn't expecting.
And almost everyone seems to be assuming she's gay, but if she is then it's very much under wraps, unlike, e.g., Tathiana Garbin, who never officially came out but who was always spotted out and about with various girlfriends, at least when she was overseas (I remember flying back to Italy from Sydney about five years ago, and we were both on the same flight - right up until we landed in Vienna she was obviously with her girlfriend, and not bothering to hide anything; the minute we changed planes for the Vienna-Venice leg, she and her girlfriend parted ways and sat very much separately, with little or no overt contact).
Having said that, though, there's also this strange footage that a satirical Italian TV programme picked up and broadcast in November 2005 (and that made its way onto Youtube after Schiavone's FO victory in 2010). There are some weird gestures here, too, and while the voiceover seems to be implying she's setting up a one-on-one session with the man in the stands, I actually suspect she's trying to set up a FFM threesome (!).
Am looking forward to your opinion... :-)
- That's interesting, R11, thanks for all your informative posts. The Mirka story is funny. She seems like a no nonsense woman.
One last thing, do you have any idea if the top guys take advantage of their status and popularity with women and/or men who want to sleep with them or are they too insulated by their teams to even do that? I am surprised we rarely hear of any scandals surrounding top tennis players when it is a sport that demands one lives on the road. It is hard for me to imagine men not wanting to take advantage.
- It seems to me that she's implying to have a 3way. Lol
- "I'm pretty sure he [Djokovic] is a homophobe, [R2]. The guy is Serbian, and that tells you all you need to know."
Makes as much sense as all Catholics and Germans are anti-Jewish. Hasn't Djokovic gone way out of his way to show those Serbian stereotypes are not true?
- We JUST did the 'are all Serbians homophobes?' thing near the end of the other thread. Do we HAVE to do it again already?
- (R13), no I've never seen the current top guys take advantage in that way. I have only once been requested to organize girls for one of that group, and then was asked to cancel them at the last minute.
- R17, want to clue us in on/hint who that one was? It's finally getting juicy in here. My guess is Djokovic, who always seems like he's hiding a wilder side.
- R12, it looks like she is indeed trying to set up a FFM 3some. I guess she is no stranger to these hand gestures. I wouldn't have guessed her of all people.
- Damn...I'm saying so fervently that Dimitrov is better than Tomic, and then the little shit goes and wins Sydney. Guess I can't say that anymore, at least for the moment =p
Really though, Grigor better win a title soon! =)
- If Tomic had played Murray in the final he wouldn't have a title either.
- So I've made my PICKS for this years Aussie Open... Get a load of these. I am going way out on a LEDGE here by picking Novak and Serena. What can I say? As a RED-BLOODED, SINGLE lady, how can I ignore Novak's MILKSHAKE. Am I using that term correctly? Sometimes it's hard to stay HIP. As for Serena, my pick is because she's such a great player. It has nothing to do with her BODACIOUS tatas and rounded BUTTOCKS. Why, I hardly notice her CURVES. Well, sometimes I notice them in the Women's locker room, when I'm CAMPED out there with a smartphone... for JOURNALISTIC reasons, of course.
Hope you watch me DOWN UNDER, and be sure to keep your finger on the remote control VOLUME button. Sometimes a gal just has to start SHOUTING for no apparent reason!
- How close are we, in 2013, to having an ACTIVE openly "gay/bi" player on the men's tour?? Any prospects yet??
- More over Rafa. Who knew there are several sites dedicated to photos of Richard Gasquet's ass. Here are about 100 photos alone.
- [ R17 ] - I'm also curious about which of the top guys wanted you to organize girls for them.
- Pam, when are you going to stop pretending that you are straight? FFS just come out of that closet already. You're not fooling ANYONE with the fake marriage to someone who claims to have been James Bond once. We all understand that you've wanted to get into Martina's pants for decades now and always failed because Martina likes 'em straight and blond but there are other gals you can settle down with. Ok, Serena is way out of our league and so are Masha and Gabby Sabatini but you could try your luck with someone more at your level like Lisa Raymond. Or Billie Jean. Or Zina Garrison.
Or maybe even Judy Nelson to get back at Martina.
- I wonder if Pammie and her very heterosexual self have any dirt to tell about certain players which have been lez "suspects" through the years.
- Maybe the male gay/bi player will turn out to be Tomic. He was recently caught play wrestling naked with a male friend in a hot tub in the early hours.
- Can this please be the year when Sabatini comes out? Enough already. She'll be 43, was never married, and is hotter as well. Maybe Pammy can even do the interview.
- Did the power lezzies like Billie Jean and Martina seduce the younger players in the locker room?
- R28--maybe that would explain the endless drama, stunts and shenanigans surrounding this kid. If true, it would be cool if he comes out. It would be interesting to see who the old guard Aussies who have been quite critical of him recently (eg. Rafter)would react.
- FYI, I started an Australian Open thread.
- Maybe we should just keep the tennis talk in this thread instead? There hasn't been an overwhelming amount of tennis posts lately.
Murray and Federer playing tonight. I can't stand Murray; I hope Fed can eliminate him in the semis.
- I agree, why did we need another tennis thread with so few post here? Silly, but I guess the damage has been done.
- Who is everyone's picks for AO?
- I love Sam Stosur's arms!!!
- Poor Randy Harrison, no chance against Nole.
- Ryan Harrison you mean? He's a cute kid and fought out there. He looked like he was trying so hard as Nole barely broke a sweat.
I hope Nole can keep up this level.
- Exactly what R23 said... It's so frustrating to not have an openly gay male player on the ATP tour.
- So the Bryan Brothers don't count?
- Bryan Brothers interviewed
- Federer's shoes
- what do we think of the pink laces?
I'm not crazy about them but you sure do notice his feet more when he's playing.
- R40 well they're both married so I wouldn't call that openly gay (but I know you were being facetious).
- Does anyone else think the Grand Slam draws are rigged? Why does Federer get Murray in two straight GS's and Djokovic gets Ferrer? When Djokovic was #3/4 Federer got him in almost every GS draw for years. Djokovic's draw is a djoke.
- No, I don't r46. The draws are done in public, so it would be tough to rig. Plus it's a 50/50 chance of where Murray ends up, so it's not like we're talking long odds.
- I'm with R47. Plus if they were rigging them, wouldn't they have given Federer an easier road to the final? His popularity dwarfs Djokovic and Murray.
I'm still waiting for the resident tennis insider to come back on this thread and tell us which of the top guys asked for girls to be arranged for them. I'm guessing it was not Federer(who I think is gay).
- Why would you think Federer is gay? There's never been even a whisper of that.
And the reason why they give Federer a tough draw is because he's 31 years old and they want him out of the way so they can promote the younger players. Federer is too popular and when he retires the ATP is going to be hurting if they don't get some new talent.
- There has been a lot of talk of Federer fooling around with guys, R49. Maybe he's bi, but it's not a stretch to imagine that an effete man married to a mannish woman might be familiar with the homosex.
- I don't have any evidence, he just pings to me. I wonder if any of y'all see it too.
- I miss seeing Rafa's butt. Fed is so gross and hairy.
- R52 he is not gross. He's a real man not some pussy who does everything his nasty uncle tells him to do. And at least he doesn't shave his entire body like Nadull does.
- Ignore the link @ R53. My bad.
- No whispers, R49?
Do you not recall how Gavin Rossdale followed him around the tour and how close he and Gwen were with the Federers? There have been whispers about that for years, especially given his five year gay relationship.
- so you're saying anyone who has a gay friend is gay?
- Well I see logic is not DL's friend today.
No, R56, my post is ONLY a response to R49 that there was never any whisper about Federer. I only said that there were whispers.
I did not say anyone who has a gay friend is automatically gay.
Are you really that fucking stupid? Apparently you are.
- R57, you're calling me stupid when you're the one who says Federer is probably gay because he has a friend who is bisexual? LOL. That's logic for you. This website "whispers" about every male celebrity so I don't consider the whispering on DL logical at all.
- Once and for all, the draws in Grand Slams (do not know about other tournaments) are completely random and done in public.
However, given the Lance Armstrong interview, who knows for certain.
- R58, for the THIRD fucking time, I did NOT say Federer was probably gay because he has a bisexual friend.
R49 said there were no whispers -- zero. I only said there were, and they weren't only on DL. It has nothing to do with any logical assumption about Federer's sexuality. It was a factual disagreement about whether people had raised the point or not.
I will say however, from this post I'm more than calling you stupid.
You are definitively stupid for not being able to read without getting seriously confused.
- This is a gay gossip website. Are we not allowed to say that we think someone is gay based on Federer mannerisms? I don't think it has anything to do with his friends; the man pings to high heaven for me.
Now watch that 'insider' poster come back and say he was asked to set up girls for Federer because he's tired of Mirka. It would figure.
- R60 if the only way you can have a discussion is to call someone stupid then I guess that pretty much says it all. I happen to admire the man. He's done a lot of good with his foundation and is very kind to his fans. Everyone who meets him says he's a great guy and he has a family. I take exception to people saying he's living a lie. Call me stupid all you want but you're the one who attacked me for asking a simple question. So I'll be going away now. Then you can have the last word. Have fun.
- Fed and Rafa are adorable together... no way have these two not fooled around.
- That's adorable, R63. I love how when Rafa gets out of the chair for a second, Roger's eyes are bolted on Rafa's ass...
- Oh, and I love Berdych's shorts at the AO.
Damm, bro has some gams.
- Federer was called gay here, and that Mirka is his Grace Adler:
Why doesn't he have a good-looking wife?
Bottom of the page.
That explains why Nadal is always picking his ass on the court. Irritation from shaving. I always thought he had dingle berries. Maybe you would like to chew off them berries. My tennis fan friend who dislikes him as much as I do call is it "picking his nappy"
- 'He's done a lot of good with his foundation and is very kind to his fans.'
I have never posted on Federer's sexuality until now. Just because a person is nice and has a foundation does not mean anything. I have no idea whether Federe is gay or not but you certainly have presented nothing to counter the rumors. As to a famous person being nice, only the people closest to the star know for certain. As for me, it never occurred to me to judge whether any famous person is nice, or not nice. Since you have reaised the issue, I would not be surprised if it eventually is known that Federer is far from nice to the average middle-class person.
- Can we get back to asses, cocks, and legs, please?
I must say, Roger looked pretty damn good against Tomic -- dude wears his 31 years lightly.
- R68 why is it up to someone here to counter DL rumors about a married tennis player being gay. They are just rumors. They mean nothing. And I know it's hard to believe that a successful, talented athlete could actually be a nice person. But it does happen. Not everyone is Lance Armstrong.
- "Can we get back to asses, cocks, and legs, please?"
Or discussion of players' sexualities? It's a gay board, after all.
The only tennis player to come out within recent history was Francisco Gonzalez, a Paraguayan player whose highest ATP ranking was in the 300's.
- These are the blind items that that Out article - from 2008 - offers: "As any mildly obsessive gay male fan knows, tantalizing rumors surround a hunky American player once ranked inside the top 20. 'He was very attractive, muscular, the epitome of a gay pinup. Everyone kind of knew he was gay from the way he talked -- he wasn't hiding it. I remember him in line for lunch with his boyfriend,' one source says.
Another former number 1 American player was thought to play both sides of the net."
- r72 - I believe that's supposed to be Jan Michael Gambill, no?
- Yes, it is almost certainly Gambill.
- Yeah, that makes sense. Wasn't he seen recently on a cruise with Elton John and his partner?
- Oh yes, r75.
- It wouldn't surpise me that the reason Nadal beat Fed so much was that Fed was so distracted by Nadal's ass he lost focus on the game.
- Now that the Open is over, should we resume this thread?
- Yes, let's, R78. I still want to know who the #1 American player was who "play[ed] both sides of the net". Can we have a list of #1 American male tennis players?
- It's probably just John McEnroe, Jim Courier, Andre Agassi, and Pete Sampras, at least in the modern era...
- I still want to know that too R79. Out of that list I can only really see Courier. MAYBE Agassi? What do you all think?
I also still want to know which of the top 4 guys asked the DL poster to arrange for escorts.
- Pammie you are the freshest and funniest poster on DL in years!
My impression: Sorry boys, neither Fed nor Nadal are gay. There are not rumors about them in the tennis world, only on DL.
I have seen them both up close and they are both just as you see them in that cute You Tube someone posted- goofy, nice, young men. Federer I think is a bit more mature and smart. But I have met him and seen him up close interacting with kids and their parents informally in a club lounge. Unusually nice young man, and did not pick up the slightest gay vibe. Ditto Rafa who I have watched up close practicing with his hitting partner a number of times. Not a hint. Very much a typical young jock, nice young jock I might add.
Now Pammie give us another report from the women's locker room.
- Help us answer the second "Out" blind item, Charlie.
- Agassi was called gay in a book by a famous, successful European journalist. And Steffi Graf isn't good-looking and had a difficult childhood and father, and Las Vegas, where he grew up and they still live, isn't a normal city.
- Actually, R84, if Steffi just fixed that honker she'd be a knock-out. Stacked, and fabulous legs.
Why she settled for the fug baldy is beyond me.
- R85, does nobody remember that for the longest time Rennae Stubbs was always in Graf's player's box, and they were always together? It was just after Graf had parted ways with her dad, and just after that "she's dating a race car driver" fiasco... I was sure she was gay, and pretty sure she was on her way to coming out once her career was over.
When she and Agassi started their affair, I thought it might have been a bit of mutual bearding. But, just maybe, it's a case of two bis who really clicked, both of them forced into playing a sport they ultimately hated by two viciously single-minded fathers?
- R82: I do not care at all about Nadal's and Federer's sexual preferences, but spending such a small amount of time with anyone and not finding a gay vibe proves very little.
- Hmm, interesting hypothesis R86. Could be. Did Steffi hate it as much as Andre professes to? Sheesh, I guess it was a job, after all.
R87, I also have observed Roger and Rafa up close, and I didn't get the slightest gay vibe from either one. Sadly. And Federer seemed intelligent to me, too.
- I think R86's theory about two bis just clicking seems perfect.
- Datalounge didn't let me post for ages...anyway the AO is over and Djoker won it again *yawn*. I like Djoker but man, I find too much same old same old in men's tennis...
- Well, for a while it was all Fed, then Fedal, then now Djoko and some Murray. I think it's just the way men's tennis always is.
- Years from now people will look back at this period as the Golden Age of men's tennis. I understand it can be boring when the same three players always win, plus Murray. But, it's been rare to have this many good players all at the same time.
- Question, would you all prefer to have a game with 4 guys who win or just 1 who totally dominates?
- In my opinion, we have has too many periods where one player dominates the mens' game. That applies to Fed who I do not like much and Djokovic, if he stays in the zone, whom I like very much.
- In my opinion, the men's game made a quantum leap once Nadal, Djokovic, and Murray appeared. In terms of the physical intensity of the game, it kind of reminds me when Williams sisters arrived on the scene in women's tennis. Everybody had to become better and fitter and, ultimately, it benefitted the sport. Nadal was the first one, then Djokovic realized that he had to become much fitter and mentally stronger to play with the big boys, and now Murray seems to be doing the same. I hated with a passion the era of big servers such as Sampras, Ivanisevic, Krajicek, and their ilk.
- I wasn't actually watching tennis when the big servers were king (too young I guess), and I can't imagine enjoying that much more either. But it's a matter of taste. Except Federer the top 4 of today are mostly about how many balls they can chase down (Djokovic may be the best shotmaker of this group but his game is still mostly defense).
It's the chasing group of Tsonga, Berdych, Del Potro, and formerly Soderling that I found the best because their games are offensve-based. The latter two really looked like real contenders for a long time. But Soderling's career is possibly ended by this mono virus and Del Potro has been disappointing since his US Open 2009 win (he had a wrist injury afterwards which kept him out for months and now it looks like he may never approach that same level again).
- The "former number 1 American player" doesn't necessarily mean former American world no. 1, it could mean former no. 1 in America.
- I thought everybody knows that Roddick is the one with the bi-rumours
- I admit I've had the odd fantasy about Andy Roddick and James Blake...
- R96: I remember watching a Lendl match at the U.S. Open where Lendl took almost five hours to finally win, he may have come to the net once. The next matched featured Becker, who came to the net after almost every one of his serves. The Becker match was quicker and about ten times more exciting.
McEnroe and Borg as well as Sampras and Agassi also had very difference styles of tennis. Federer comes in more than the other top three, but the Becker-style of tennis would be impossible today. It's a shame.
- R86 apart from her strange friendship with Stubbs there always have been rumors of Steffi having a three month fling with Gabriela Sabatini. Peter supposedly found out and that was the real reason they broke their doubles partnership. Sabatini's beard was German then. A coincidence??
- Do people really believe this stuff about "rumours of a three-month fling" or "some think they're both bi"? There can be rumours about anything; I can make rumours up and post them on here. Just because you think there were once rumours doesn't mean you have to switch your brain off and twist/create/believe any rumour that fits into some kind of fantasy you have to make your dull life seem more interesting.
- Regarding this question of enjoying it whether one player wins a title more than once, or wins multiple titles.
I'm not sure I completely understand it. If the tennis itself is great, why does it matter so much to us as to who wins? Yes, if we really like another player (or hate a player, even irrationally so) I can see how it gets "frustrating" but there are fans of a team that will lose and lose and lose and yet they always have hope.
Look at Andy Murray, or "his predecessor", Tim Henman. Even when he lost, when he fought hard and almost won, it was epic to watch. I wasn't an Andy Murray fan, but the fact that it meant so much to him that he cried when he lost got to me, and probably wouldn't have made me interested in his next match if he had won it earlier. Now, he's really a contender (let's hope) because he believes in his game, and he almost won the Australian. It was a great match, lots of ups and downs, great shot making and just had to come to an end.
I was never a Lendl fan, and thought he was annoying at times, but his shotmaking was incredible, and he was vulnerable, never winning at Wimbledon and wouldn't have won the Aussie Open if it had been played on grass.
Federer's dominance followed by his getting his butt kicked made things more entertaining.
It just seems to me if you enjoy the sport, this claim that it's boring to see the "same winners" is an odd one, especially since for the four slams last year we had four different winners...
- Pleased that Evgeny Korolev got a win (over a slump Melzer granted) in Davis Cup yesterday. He's so low-ranked right now and this might help the confidence. Gee, what a babe though.
- [quote]apart from her strange friendship with Stubbs there always have been rumors of Steffi having a three month fling with Gabriela Sabatini. Peter supposedly found out and that was the real reason they broke their doubles partnership. Sabatini's beard was German then. A coincidence??
Gabriela was the one who broke off the doubles partnership. Her coach Carlos Kirmayr told her to end the partnership because he felt that playing doubles together was giving Steffi an edge over Gabriela in their singles rivalry.
- r102, dear oh dear oh dear... Diddums, how many times do we have to go through this? Datalounge prides itself on being the place where you can "get your fix of gay gossip, news and pointless bitchery." It's explicitly stated, right up there under the logo (top left-hand corner*). Now, apparently our lives are sad (we love to gossip), but yours isn't. This begs the question: why are you still here? 'Riddance...
* For problems distinguishing your left hand from your right, please refer to link below.
- I agree. Please no more of the anti-gossip/speculation.
- This rumor has been around for more than 20 years and the people who always tell me about it are British. Steffi and Gaby played their last tournament together in Wimbledon 1990. Around that time a supposed exboyfriend (German) of Gaby talked shit about her to the Sun tabloid and the next day they ask her about it at a press conference in Wimbledon. Is these all coincidence or just a cover up?? Steffi was linked to the singer of simply red around that time.
And R105, that was the official story. The official story is also that Gaby is heterosexual.
And the poster asking not to gossip in a gossip forum is douche bag.
- IIRC, Carlos Santana said in a radio interview here in Europe that he was sexually molested as a kid or in his youth and that he thinks that many in showbiz have been ( I'd say many athletes as well). Just after that, he said that he felt that Steffi Graf and a German Comedian were soulmates for him, or so, which indicated that Steffi Graf might have experienced sexual abuse in her childhood as well.
That could be the main reason why she is with a man who might very likely be gay.
She had longterm relationships with men before, one is the older brother of the domestic partner of first openly gay Minister in Germany, Guido Westerwelle. The older brother is straight though, I'd say.
There aren't many people in gay/lesbian relationships or even just having homosex in Germany, so there are many in the closet or living mainly celibate.
- I wouldn't be shocked, R109 since Peter Graf is all sorts of creep. Steffi is also a die hard fan of Carlos Santana. There was an article from the 80's mentioning a friendship between the two.
- [quote]And [R105], that was the official story. The official story is also that Gaby is heterosexual.
If they wanted an official story why not simply say that Gabriela wanted to keep playing doubles and Steffi wanted to cut down on it to focus on singles? Steffi did stop playing doubles regularly anyway. Why bother inventing a story?
All the rumors and gossip about Steffi being lesbian seem to be based purely on her friendship with one out lesbian (Renee Stubbs) and one alleged lesbian (Gabriela). So basically any woman who is friends with lesbians has to be gay herself?
Maybe Chrissie Evert is a closeted lez too in that case. She's clearly trying to overcompensate by fucking every man she lays her eyes on while all she wants is to taken by Martina N.
- They said that r111 along with the Carlos Kirmayr thing. And you seem to forget that Peter payed a guy to pretend to be Steffi boyfriend so "they wouldn't think Steffi is a lesbian". Then why Peter would fear that if Steffi is so heterosexual? It's interesting that you bring Chris because inspite of her being super good friends with Martina nobody "invented" any lesbian rumor about her.
- Of course, R112, that could be because America's sweetheart tennis player was actually quite the slut. Jimmy Connors, John Lloyd, her other marriages are just the tip of the iceberg. All the people joking about how brazenly she acts like she has the hots for Nadal and other male players on air .... not just senility, she's always been that way. Everybody knows.
- Steffi Graf and Andre Agassi are likely both bi. Agassi's homophobia was an overreaction, and Graf has never been all that feminine.
- Well, not settling down with anybody of the opposite sex in particular can be also interpreted as being a lez in denial....or not. I can't blame Chris for loving Nadal' s ass though.
- I think Chrissie is just a repressed Catholic girl with major daddy issues who sleeps around because her self worth is linked to the men in her life but I guess we could easily question why she's so slutty and whether she's in fact a lez in denial who doth protest way too much.
- Yeah, Chrissie loves cock. That's WELL established.
Her pussy has a revolving door on it.
- I'll disagree with R114 about Graf not being all that feminine. Today, she is always spotted in skirts and dresses. She's a great mother, by all accounts, and seems very happy.
R111, Stubbs and Sabatini weren't her only gay friends. Graf has been close friends with Patrice Tarabini since they were 13 years old. Tarabini is gay. Graf also was close to Inés Gorrochategui, also suspected of being gay. Sabatini, Tarabini and Gorrochategui were all from Argentina.
Graf and Stubbs are still close friends today. I suspect Graf is bisexual, and I think she and Agassi are the real deal.
- Believe me, I know about LESBIANS on the ladies tennis circuit and CHRISSIE ain't one of 'em. She and I spent MANY an evening chatting about all the hot DUDES on the men's tour! Of course, I was YOUNGER than Chris and didn't have the experience that she did. Now let me be completely HONEST --- I also had an AFRO and walked like a DUCK so those traits might factor in. But I look back FONDLY to some slumber parties with Chris, staring DEEPLY into her eyes, listening to every word. I used to ask if Vitas and Jimmy would CARESS her breasts, and what that was like and maybe she could show me and let me slip off my frilly nightie and -- Oh GOODNESS! Listen to me carrying on again! Don't get me wrong, I learned LOTS from Martina and Wendy and Ginny and Rosie. But my favorite memories are just me and Chrissie, two STRAIGHT chicks hangin' out.
- R119 cracked me up.
- I never understood how Chris Evert got away with half the crap she did. She married John Lloyd, who was hot as hell, then had an affair with aging British rocker Adam Faith. Lloyd forgave her and they reconciled then she was rumored to have had an affair with Huey Lewis and later Andy Mills. She and Lloyd divorced and she married Mills.
She and Mills were married for many years and had three sons. The couple is best friends with Greg Norman and his wife. Evert and Norman "fall in love" and both file for divorce. They are critical of Norman's wife for fighting the divorce and a larger settlement, even though she was the one who turned his multi-millions into many multi-millions through her business decisions.
Evert and Norman marry. One year later, he divorces her. I guess she got what was coming to her personally, but the bad publicity never seems to stick to her.
- Wearing skirts and dresses doesn't make instantly feminine, r118. And her husband makes her look sort of butch in comparison.
- She looks plenty feminine to me, R122.
- R114 and me beg to differ. She is far from being a bull dyke but she's also very far from being a Ana Ivanovic.
- Andre Agassi is a lot like Ernest Hemingway, in my opinion... Substance abuse issues and anger informed by strong, unwanted homosexual tendencies. I bet Andre knows his way around many a massage table.
That being said, I believe that Andre and Steffi are really in love. They probably give each each other permission to fulfill the other desires they can't sate with each other.
- Or may be Steffi fucks him with a strap on. Remember that TMZ article where they were seeing at a sex shop?
- R106 and r107, there's a difference between rumour and complete bullshit. Is it permissible to say that much of what is being presented on this thread as rumour is in fact complete bullshit?
- Who the fuck are you to point fingers on what is bullshit and what is not, r127? God?!
- [R127] of course it's "permissible" but you've already said it at least twice now according to troll-dar. You read like a homophobe.
What people are asking you is do you have to say it over and over?
There's a lot of tennis gossip and fantasy that's never been corroborated, like Stefan Edberg and Pete Sampras, or more curiously, the story of Edberg getting caught with an underage player or ball kid in a locker room. The first kind is fun, the second is scurrilous.
But we're adults here and can tell the when gossip is just that -- it all is until it's proven.
Can't you just relax?
- R128, apparently, according to the witty r106, we have permission to say whatever we want on this thread, so I'm saying many of the "rumours" here are in fact complete bullshit. Beyond that, however, I'm also pointing out the broader point that there is a difference between rumour or gossip and bullshit. And the bullshit gets in the way of the real gossip.
So, if it's not bullshit, are you therefore claiming that everything said here is entirely true?
- R122, Chris "got away" with it because it's not really public business. She never let the drama interfere with her business on court and people respected her for her game. I know a lot of people complain about her commentary, but I will always remember how supportive she was of Martina, how she rarely lost her temper on court, found a way to smile and kept playing until she just couldn't win anymore. If there was an image of on-court dignity, it was Chris.
You could say there was bias because she was "America's sweetheart" but despite the palimony scandal BJK went through and all of Martina's affairs, most people don't care about those either.
- R130 are you really that fucking stupid?
No one has said it's absolute Truth. That's why people are saying it's rumor and gossip and not fact.
What exactly is wrong with you? We get it. You think it's bullshit.
Stop shitting on this thread.
- R130 etc., instead of rushing to post to prove your genius point that all gossip is not absolute truth, why don't you take a break and read a little.
I just explained to you that we all know it's not proven true at R129.
Let it go. Others are right. You are annoying as hell.
- Dear r129, I said it twice, and now three times, because it was my first post was commented on and I was responding. Like I'm responding to you, which means I'll just say it again.
Why does saying that a lot of what some people claim is rumour is in fact bullshit make me a homophobe? Seems more to me that those gay people who try to make straight celebrities out to be gay have an internalised homophobia. According to this internalised homophobia, gay lives must be so drab and depressing we need to create fantasy worlds filled with glamorous closet cases, unreachable figures of desire about whom we can fantasise because we won't be able to find real love in our gay lives.
Claiming that if a woman is friends with a lesbian then she too must be a lesbian can be read as homophobic. Claiming that a woman who plays tennis is a lesbian, despite everything else about her being completely heterosexual, can also be read as homophobic.
I mean, if you conclude from what I wrote that I'm a homophobe, all I can conclude is that your powers of "reading" are extremely poor so that much of what you claim to be rumour is in fact a serious misreading of a few highly misunderstood phrases you heard here and there.
Since we can say what we want and no one can shout us down, I'd like to say that "rumours" that Steffi Graf and Andre Agassi are bisexual and that Steffi had an affair with Gabriella Sabatini are bullshit.
- How many young and up and coming players did Martina, BJ and Rosie seduce? Someone once claimed that Martina N and BJ used to scout young players, not to figure out their games but because they were on the lookout for fresh meat. So I think even Pammie Shriver who's still in the closet and pretending to be str8 probably got her wares sampled by the two power lezzies.
Did BJ seduce Martina when she first arrived in America from Prague?
- R134, don't accuse people of reading problems when you can't read that people have told you over and over it's not a fact.
You can't be reasoned with. Again, we get it, like we got it the first four times you said it.
You are a real winner.
- Nobody claimed that having a lesbian friend INSTANTLY makes you a lesbian. They said that Steffi had many lesbian friends on the tour FACT, that Peter Graf payed a guy to be Steffi's boyfriend so "they wouldn't think Steffi was lesbian" FACT , all things that happened around the time the Graf/Sabatini rumor took off FACT and some people especulated on Andre's supposed homophobia. For some reason the rumors of the Sabatini/Graf affair and Steffi/Andre being bisexual disturbes you and you think the whole thread is bullshit. We got it. Now GTFO!
- I was told that Martina was more honorable that people tend to think and she supposedly rejected Andrea Jaeger
- Andrea Jaeger apparently ended up being a nun.
- That story is true, R138. Jaeger was a crazy hot mess at the time and even Martina could see that she was bad news.
Chrissie was badly burned by the fiasco with Greg Norman and copped lots of criticism. Notice how she's made a big public show of not dating any men since Greg. I'm sure she's still gobbling cocks in private but that's another story. Kind of ironic that Martina is happily settled down now with a family and Chrissie is the one on her own.
- I'm not a grammar Nazi, R137, but enough: It's "paid," not "payed." Now get over it.
R140, I wonder why Norman dumped Evert. She's typically the one used to doing the dumping. Was he trying to salvage his image?
- [quote] Kind of ironic that Martina is happily settled down now with a family
The latest gold digger has been with Martina for two or three years now. How long before Martina moves on to the next one?
- Martina has terrible taste in women, it seems. Still, she's a fierce LGBT advocate, and by all accounts, warm with fans.
I'm warming up to Novak. I think he genuinely likes flaunting his wares for the gays, and I look forward to more of his exhibitionism...
Why is tennis still the most closeted sport, though? It's getting even worse than American football at this point.
- Greg had a younger mistress dating back to his marriage to Laura and didn't bother getting rid of the mistress when he got with Chrissie. I'm guessing there was hell to pay when Chrissie found out. He ended up marrying the mistress not so long ago. Martina's gf owns two successful businesses. Not a gold digger,in my book. And they've been together for six and a half years.
- Martina's girlfriend was pretty rich herself before Martina. She doesn't need her money, r142
- Payed is also correct but paid is much more common
- Pic from the Davis Cup doubles match Czech Rep. vx. Switzerland. These are 4 guys I'd seriously like to fuck.
1) Marco Chiudinelli is just about the hottest guy in the ATP to me, but he never makes the main draws of tournaments anymore unless he gets through qualifying, so I rarely see him play.
2) Stan Wawrinka with his acne-scarred face. He's not stunningly handsome, but he's cute enough and everything below the neck is close enough to perfect for me.
3) Lukas Rosol who was that last person to play Rafa nearly 8 months ago - until the Chilean tournament he's about to start (crossing my fingers that he doesn't withdraw). He's cute enough but I hate the tattooed leg.
4) Thomas Berdych who looks like a former Bel Ami twink.
The Czech's knocked the Fed-less Swiss out.
But the bigger news this weekend is Raonic leading the Canucks to a defeat of defending champs Spain. Wow! It was on a Canadian hard court, but that is still impressive. I wonder if the Spanish team is reconsidering putting up essentially a B-squad of Ramos, Grannolers, and Garcia-Lopez.
- R147, great thoughtful post, I love it.
You all know about the Wawrinka dirt from a couple of years ago right? That he left his wife and newborn baby saying that he wanted to "concentrate on tennis"? I think he's back with them now. I usually refrain from moralizing, especially with the straights, but I thought that was one bizarre situation.
Out of those four, Rosol has the nicest face to me even if the leg tat is trashy.
- I knew Stan left his wife not too long after the baby was born, r148, but I hadn't heard that they are back together. I guess that's a good thing. Leaving to focus on his sport sounds like complete PR spin bullshit though. There had to have been a reason he wanted out of the situation.
It was fun to wonder if his relationship with Benoit Paire had something to do with the break up.
- Bernie Tomic continues to screw up. He was caught speeding again last week and because he was on what amounts to a probational period with his license (due to the his other recent offenses), his driving privileges will now be revoked.
Of course he continues to complain that he's being unfairly targeted. That may be true, but doesn't he have anyone in his life that can drill it into his head that he's gotta be aware and act right, especially because he's made himself so high profile to the police?
- Bernie Tomic is an immature, spoiled twat.
If Wawrinka would put a bag over his head, I'd fuck him senseless.
Berdych's legs belong in the Sequoia National Forest.
- Sharapova is not that straight, far from it
- I like Stan. He has a certain 'rock star' kind of appeal that not many tennis players have.
Berdych and Rosol are both handsome too! And both Czech. Funny that =p
- ^^ Stan is actually not a bad looking guy. So what if he has some acne scarring? =)
- Rafa comes back very shortly. I think if he's going to last much longer he needs to change it up and go for his shots more. His whole career he's built his success around chasing down as many balls as possible. This has brought him a lot of success but has also wrecked his body before it's time.
- R149 I assumed the story about him leaving his wife and baby to concentrate on tennis was NOT PR spin which his why I thought it was bizarre. What PR person would tell someone to actually admit that he is leaving his family to concentrate on work? The whole thing is odd all around, not that straights drama is that fascinating.
The picture that R154 posted of Wawrinka and Djokovic is quite sexual. I don't really think either of them are gay but there is definitely some sexual subtext in Djokovic caressing Stan's cheek after slugging it out like beasts (the equivalent of sex) for five hours.
- When Stan and Rog won the gold medal in doubles in Beijing their celebration photos were quite homoerotic.
- I agree it's bizarre R156. I suspect it to be a PR concocted phrase because it is the least offensive reason I can think of to explain why a guy would be leaving his wife and newborn baby. What I mean is that it doesn't place blame on either party for doing anything to negatively impact the marriage (like abuse or cheating).
I mean it's a shitty situation - they'd only recently gotten married, and it was totally a shotgun wedding - it's funny to see how big she was in their wedding pics. Then he wants out less than a year later? There had to have been something going on that we don't know about, but if they didn't want to have everyone knowing their personal business, the easiest story to tell is that he needs to focus on his career.
Stan's reputation takes a hit either way, but he'd probably be seen as more of an asshole if the real story was known...like if he was fucking someone else, or whatever. So that's why I think the 'focus on tennis' excuse sounds like someone advised him that it was better than anything else he could say.
Plus, the tennis season is 11 months of the year and he is away from home for much of that time. The family doesn't have to travel with him (I know Mirka disagrees) so they certainly could have lived mostly separately while he continued to play without them having to make any public statement about getting a divorce - if that's what they wanted.
Agreed, all very bizarre.
- You make good points R158.
I don't know why we don't see more scandals in tennis since, as you pointed out, they are traveling for 11 months out of the year and very few of the wives and girlfriends travel with the players full time. There is no way that men don't seek a little release with either men or women depending on their preference after all of that grueling training and playing.
I suspect that many players have callgirls or rentboys lined up in different cities.
- J-Cap was as the Super Bowl yesterday. Among her tweets was a pic with Josh Henderson from the reboot of Dallas.
Was Pammie Shriver there for her beloved Ravens?
- My favorite player Volandri won 6-2 6-1 today in the tournament Rafa is playing in, hopefully he has a good tournament!
As for scandals, tennis players are really pretty boring. At least their lives on tour are. A lot of working out, training, massages, ice baths, therapy, sleeping, and eating, as well as events promoting the tournament, press conferences after matches. There are definitely things that happen behind closed doors, but not as much as people think.
- Francis- you're back! I thought we had lost you forever. I remember you from the earlier Gays and Tennis threads.
I've taken a liking to Djokovic since this Australian Open. Like someone else upthread, I like that he isn't afraid to flaunt his body, I suspect for us gays (and women, I'll begrudgingly admit). Do you have any dish on him? He's always smirking as if he's thinking something dirty and I'm convinced he's a secret freak.
- Yes, I'm here and still as obsessed with tennis as before hahaha.
I've read and heard rumors regarding Nole and his bodyguard, but then his bodyguard was seen with Ivanovic. Personally, I think he's straight and I've never believed any gay rumors about him, and everyone whose close to him says that he truly is a class clown type and it's not an act. I'm sure he knows there are guys who think of him as attractive and he works it, he's the type who IMO wants people to enjoy him and does what he feels he needs to do to please fans. He's a smart guy. He reads a lot and he's pretty politically minded, and also very religious.
- Francis: I think he's straight too but one of those straight men who enjoy us gays drooling over them, as you said. He lives for attention and it's just as flattering (if not more) when it comes from guys. Bless straights like him.
Do you know if Nole fucks around (with presumably women) on the DL? I noticed the grating girlfriend the cameramen usually love wasn't there this Australian Open.
- Personally, from everything I've read and heard, he's crazy for his GF Jelena, and they're often inseparable off the court. She was in Belgrade taking care of Nole's father whose sick. She's really become apart of the family so I don't see Nole cheating on her, ever, but you never know.
- I thought I heard some rumblings about how his parents don't care for her but maybe that's changed.
I think we would all be interested in anything else you have to share about any of these guys too. Anything on Murray? He often seems the most human out of the top men, very down to earth despite his whining on the tennis court.
- Nole and Jelena's relationship was a little up and down until the last few years. They've been together a long time. Their relationship was a bit on and off and yes, her relationship with the family was the same. Djokovic's family is very protective. But the last few years after their latest off moment the two have seemingly become a lot stronger and Jelena has become a lot more apart of the family and done her part to repair the relationship with Nole's parents.
The big four all have committed, long-term relationships. Coincidence, maybe or maybe not, but it's interesting.
Murray is a lot more well-received off-court than people think, they assume he's disliked or sort of a douchebag, but he's actually a really cool guy. He's sort of a geek, not the most articulate, but he's sort of just you're typical guy. He gave a nice statement when Brits voted him the hottest gay athlete a few years ago. He's a little like a big kid. He likes to play video games a lot and he likes listening to a lot of music and he's big into football. His relationship with his GF Kim is at it's strongest point ever. She used to not really want to go watch him play and then they took time off dating one another.
- It'll be interesting to see if the guys go through with marrying the these girls who have hung around for years. Federer "had" to because Mirka got pregnant. I bet it's hard for these guys to try to figure out if these women are sticking with them for them or for the money and status.
I know Murray doesn't have the best rep as far as his treatment of tournament personnel (from ballkids to the people who are event staff), but unlike someone like Nole, he probably isn't a people person and therefore finds social interaction draining. I think he's in tennis to play tennis and make some money and doesn't care if he's a star or admired.
Back to some gay dish: Anyone know what Sharapova's deal is? For what seems to be a publicity relationship between her and Grigor Dimitrov, shockingly few people are talking about it or even care. Yet I don't think Sasha Vujacic was a beard. There's a little known video of some concert she and Sasha were at and they're making out on the side of the screen, the videographer just happened to get them in the shot. There were also a couple of people on these threads from years ago who insisted that Nole and Maria slept with each other based on knowing people who know people.
I've heard that Dimitrov is truly straight but dating Serena and Maria back to back has to set off some alarm bells somewhere.
- Something that's rarely discussed-
Who is smarter Federer or Djokovic? I am assuming that Nadal or Murray are not in the running.
I am impressed with Novak's ability to learn so many languages. I know that he only spent part of his childhood in Serbia...still Federer had a head start in Switzerland. Or is learning languages a sign of anything, on the same level as someone who is great at remembering names?
I am interested, is anyone else?
- I think Sharapova is truly a lesbian and that Sasha was either a beard or her try at heterosexuality. It's weird that we see pics and a video where they are sort of intimate which are all sort of the same two week period, they get inmediately engaged and we never see them together again in their almost two year engagement. She had a press conference to present the world her engagement ring and she continued with the charade of getting married in November when their relationship was supposed to be over. The hetero guys who want to see Maria and Nole together say the proof of them together is pics of them and a group of people at a night club and in one of them Nole is whisppering something in Maria's ear or viseversa I can't recall. Then the press linked her with the likes of Adam Levine, Andy Roddick and Cristiano Ronaldo. Nevertheless, Ana Ivanovic doesnt any of this shit to prove she's straight.
- Nole seems to be religious and gayfriendly at the same time which is weird.
- It interests me too R169. I'll wait to see what some others think before adding my 2 cents.
R171 I think Orthodox Christianity is so closely tied to Serbian culture that it's more something that all proud Serbs identify with rather than necessarily believe in as a purely religious choice. He may be religious in a different way than evangelical Christians in the States are religious.
- [R171] We still don't know for sure if Nole is gay friendly. Though if we can ignore the flag next to his name, we can see there's a lot more evidence to gay-friendliness than the opposite ;).
- May be you're right, r172. He truly loves his country and he's a very proud Serbian and Orthodox religion is pretty much tied with them. That being said I can't help but like the guy with his carefree spirit. He also seems to be pretty smart.
- He seems to get along with the lezzies.
- I think, without a doubt, that everybody would agree that Federer is a truly smart guy. He is the classiest guy to ever grace the sport.
On another note, Rafa is back on court today with Mónaco in Chile (I think). I wish we could have cameras on the locker room, sigh.
- Rafa and Pico Monaco are great friends.
- 'He [Fed] is the classiest guy to ever grace the sport.' by Mirka LOL
Let's see how he does between now and Rio in 2016. So far everything has gone his way on the court and off. He may win another slam or two, and the frustration may get to him. It is far too early to classify him as the classiest anything.
- Rumors about Monaco and Nadal have been around forever.
As to the question of intelligence, can anyone speak to how Nadal comes off in Spanish? I think Djokovic and Federer are both exceptionally smart, but I wonder if that is because it impresses me that they can communicate so fluently in non-native languages whereas someone like Murray is communicating to us in his native language.
- Ernests Gulbis loses first round of a challenger =(. Sad to see such a talent struggling so much. We're talking about a guy with wins over Djokovic and Federer. Beat Berdych at Wimbledon last year too I almost forgot =O
He's pretty cute too =) Yeah, hope he can figure out this slump, whatever.
- R179, my Spanish friends aren't impressed by Rafa's intelligence. They think he's a nice guy, but basically a dumb jock.
- I miss Robin Soderling =(
- I don't think Djokovic is especially smart. He's closer on the spectrum to Rafa, who has a very average intellect.
- I love Rafa, but suspect he's on the low side of average. Ditto many of the tennis players, including Federer. Most of them drop out of high school the moment they can and are not exactly autodidacts.
- Nadal is quick of foot and slow of thought, IMO. Federer and Djokovic seem bright to me.
- As with the majority of athletes (even those that get college degrees), Rafa is probably not well versed in pursuits such as science or politics.
But he does demonstrate thoughtfulness and speaks intelligently about subjects that are relevant to the business of his profession. He has been at the forefront of debates about increased vigilance of drug testing, the pros/cons of a player union, and battling the ATP over the schedules and appearances they force upon players. I see him as a great and positive spokesman and ambassador for the sport.
Plus he has been smart and realistic about his long term viability as a competitor. He manages his injuries well and doesn't do things to jeopardize recovery - like rushing to get back on the court. He's doing what he can to enable himself to play for several more years, but he's also well aware that his career could end any time unexpectedly and has plans for his post-tennis life.
And regarding that, he just started his own sports management business. He left IMG at the end of 2012 and now has his own agency that I'm sure he hopes will represent athletes from various sports.
He's definitely no dummy. Now I'm not sure he'd by high on the list of names I'd want to recruit for my academic decathlon team, but I'd certainly select him before many other well-known athletes.
- I dunno, R186. A lot of what you right is probably having good people around him.
I think Uncle Toni is nobody's fool.
- right = write
- Nadal comes across as being not particularly smart partly because he has few of Federer's or Djokovic's foreign language skills. Also, it's difficult to tell whether he's really in charge on his 'team' as opposed to his uncle.
- Nadal loses in his comeback.
- [R190] I'm thrilled. Let's be real - a straightforward comeback would've been worse than boring. Rafa's one of those guys that 'wins everything' (on clay at least). I'm pleased as punch =D
- Zeballos (who beat Nadal) is kinda cute, too.
- [R192] Nice body =p
- Anyway Rafa's only been back one tournament and I'm already sick of him (sweet booty aside =p). He can't stop running his damn mouth.
First he claims ATP don't care enough about their players 'cause they have too many hard-court events, but an actual fact, Rafa's big injury breaks in '09 and '12 came after the CLAY season, not hard-courts.
Then he said Djokovic has been lucky and he wouldn't be winning so much if he wasn't injured...*Casts mind back to '11 when Rafa lost to Novak in like 7 straight finals...*
- The homogenization of tennis, for example, the slowing down of the courts to make them all play similarly regardless of surface type, came about mainly because the male players moaning about having to adjust to the different the surfaces. Nowadays all we ever hear is the guys moaning about the courts, but they brought it upon the selves and should just shut up. The majority of the ATP have been showing themselves for what they really are lately: ignorant, bigotted, misogynistic, whingey spoilt brats that throw their toys out of the proverbial pram every time they don't get exavtly what they want.
- r194 - It's his livelihood, why shouldn't he speak his mind? I don't think there are that many topics rattling around in his brain. And I doubt Rafa said anything like Djokovic only won because he was lucky, unless Team Nadal has completely changed its brand of humble Island Boy.
- [R196] It's not the ATP's fault he plays such a physical game-style. The other top players play just as much on HC as he does and they're not limping off injured all the time. Plus, like I said earlier his big injury breaks have come from overplaying during the clay season, not HCs.
About Djokovic this is what he said (full interview in link)
Q: Excuse me?
Rafa: Our satellite tv channels have changed in January so that’s why. Well, I did see images of it. What can I say about it? First of all, Djokovic has proven once again that he’s a great competitor he is. Secondly, that he’s a superb tennis player. And thirdly, that he is a player who doesn’t get injured. That’s lucky. He can do what he wants and it all works well for him. Give me two years without an injury and…
What he said didn't look as bad as I'd originally thought actually, but he still can't claim that Novak was lucky to beat him in 7 or so straight finals. If Rafa was healthy enough to make the finals, he was healthy enough to have a shot at winning a fair few.
- r197 - It's nothing like what you said at all. He says Djoker's lucky to not be injured. Good grief. You're clearly looking for something to bitch about.
- [R198] Luck has little to do with it though. But Rafa's being injured all the time (and Novak not injured) is the result of their respective game-styles, not surfaces or anything else (all the top players have to play the same HC events after all).
My point is, Rafa shouldn't expect so much change by the ATP to it's events when all the other top players get along just fine while having to play them. It's not the ATP's fault Rafa's game-style bangs up his knees.
And now I'm done with that topic =)
- Murray is the fucking luckiest player!
- r199 - Part of your original point was that Rafa said something he didn't say at all.
And the rest of it I'm not going to touch, since you're just spouting off without any facts.
- Congrats to Rafa.
Haters can suck it.
- It's not like I can't appreciate his good points...
- Pretty sure you can see Djoko's cockhead here. I would love some of that Serbian sizemeat.
- Djokovic looks really handsome in that pic, r204
- Forgot to add, I always admired that Rafa let Soderling and Rosol have their days in the sun without even mentioning an injury after their wins. That was very classy of him. He is a good sport usually. Immediately after both of those losses he needed an extended break. A lot of players would've said they were injured but Rafa didn't play that card.
- I also thought Djokovic looked great there but why does he look prematurely 35? In 2011 or thereabouts he morphed into someone who looked much older than his age. Is it a Balkan thing?
Unrelatedly: Anyone know anything about Vika Azarenka? I think she's sort of awkwardly charming (I know, I know, the whole Anxietygate thing at the Australian Open wasn't so great) but I keep reading about how she has a bad reputation. One of the complaints that comes up is that she doesn't treat the line judges or ball kids nicely.
- Aar, ITA on Rafa's sportsmanship. He never gets petulant when he's losing (unlike the great Federer).
Rafa gives it his all, and he seems like a genuinely nice guy and good sport.
And, dat ASS!
- Love Djokovic's hairy chest. Mmmm! How disappointing that Rafa shaves all his body hair off.
- Does Ana Ivanovic have an eating disorder?
I heard some Aussie commie saying she's now on a gluten-free diet, but the woman looks unhealthy to me.
- R210, I once asked an Argentine tennis reporter what was wrong with Ana and he said that she had an eating disorder. This was about an year ago.
- [R210][R211] Nutrition is such an important part of tennis. Would Ana really be a top 20 tennis player if she had an eating disorder? One would think she'd have no stamina, would probably have to walk off sick from matches etc. all the time. She's my favourite lady player so the thought of an eating disorder is really frightening, but bias aside I really doubt she has one.
- Eating disorders are not uncommon with tennis players. Zina Garrison and Carling Bassett have both talked about their struggles. I'm not sure if Daniela Hantuchova has ever discussed her problems, but it was suspected she had a disorder in her earlier years.
- Kevin Spacey is sitting between 2 hot pieces of ass (meaning not Andy Murray) during this disappointingly one-sided Rafa/Fed match.
- Hot and Andy Murray should never be used in the same sentence, unless he's been set on fire.
- Djokovic played like shit against Del Potro today.
Hope Del Potro can take advantage and win his first Masters 1000 tomorrow.
- I'm enjoying how relatively tasteful the men's clothes have been. Nice muted colors.
- I guess rumors of Nadal's demise were a bit premature. Indian Wells is what, his fourth title since returning to the tour - on hardcourt no less. And he beat 3 top tenners along the way.
- Djokovic didn't want to play a fired up Rafa with nothing to lose.
He saw how Rafa gave Roger a beating, with all the pressure actually on Roger since Rafa was expected to be weak.
Rafa comes in, proves a point, and promptly cancels Miami. We'll see how he holds up over the rest of the year.
- You have to credit Rafa. He's come back and earned a 17-1 record. Even though I dislike his manner as a tennis player I like him as a person off-court too. I suppose if he wasn't so intense to the point of almost psychotic he wouldn't win as many matches, so yeah, respect =).
- It was pretty smart of Rafa to to cancel Miami
- R219, I don't think Djokovic lost in purpose to avoid playing Nadal. Djokovic was winning the final set of his match against Del Potro but then just fell apart. I hope he's not injured because he was playing with tape on his elbow. Anyway, Djokovic has no reason to be afraid of Nadal on hard courts. I expect Nadal to dominate the upcoming clay season unless Djokovic can miraculously figure out a way to beat him on clay again.
I tune out for a lot of clay court season. It's hard to watch clay tennis.
- I love clay tennis now. I did not used to, but I love how they construct points, the execution, the sliding, the grinding. It can be pretty exciting. I find Nadal thrilling, some of his shots (banana shot, down the line, cross court) on clay are incredible.
I also love Djoko, Federer, Del Potro.....
- Justine Henin just had a baby with her boyfriend.
I'm still not entirely convinced that she's not a lesbian though.
- Uncle Toni: “Federer has beaten us more than once with Rafael having significantly more pain than [Roger] was in at Indian Wells,” Toni Nadal told Puntodebreak.com. “I'm clear that the situation of Federer [at Indian Wells] was no worse than that Rafael has had on many other occasions.”
Gotta love embarrassing tennis relatives...especially the ones who had no career of their own and are just living through their successful protege's.
- I'm glad Uncle Toni said that. I know Fed is the GOAT, but the simple fact is that Rafa has owned him since day 1 of their rivalry and Rafa is so humble, and most announcers are so far up Fed's ass, that Rafa never gets the respect he's earned. Rafa is the third best player of all time, behind Fed and Laver. And he OWNS Fed, which frankly, is the only reason Fed's GOAT status isn't 100% agreed upon.
I bet Toni is just sick of Fed apologists.
- r225 - Unca Toni has generally been extremely generous in acknowledging Federer's talent and accomplishments, so I wouldn't read much into some out of context statement.
- OMG, drama in Miami which isn't being televised ATM =(
Concerning the French players Benoit Paire (who's fucking gorgeous BTW) and Michael Llodra:
I'm not surprised Llodra started somethin'. He doesn't seem the most pleasant. Not too long ago he made a racial insult to an Asian woman in a crowd, was called on it and didn't apologize =O
- At this stage of Novak's career, it's ridulous to suggest he tanked against Delpo to avoid Rafa. After all Murray lost to Delpo as well, and it took Rafa three sets to put Delpo away.
- It's not ridiculous. No one said he deliberately "tanked" the match. Don't be absurd.
Novak didn't have the fire to beat through Del Potro in part because he had just seen Nadal thrash Federer and Berdych. There is no way he was fired up to watch Nadal come back and do the same to him.
He can now say Nadal hasn't faced him at his best yet, so that he can be in Nadal's head the next time they have an encounter. Nadal will now be expected to dominate on clay.
- I don't know R230. I don't think Nole thinks that way. I'm a Rafa fan, but Nole has owned Rafa of late (minus the '12 FO). And Rafa always destroys Fed and Berdych, so that was nothing new.
- Rafa doesn't always destroy Roger on hard courts, R231. He slaughtered Roger.
Novak did not want the story to be that had Rafa came back and crushed Federer and himself. Rafa thrives on that kind of confidence. The next showdown is now postponed, whether Novak let Rafa get in his head or cracked knowing Del Potro was beating him and Rafa would be worse, we'll never know.
And that suits Novak just fine. No one will remember Indian Wells 2013.
- Thank goodness R230/R232 is here to share the inner workings of players minds!
- Why would Djokovic be afraid to face Nadal on hard courts though, even if Nadal had just beaten Federer?
- Martina Hingis: now there was a slut. God I miss that bitch!
- R232, on outdoor hard courts, Rafa leads Fed, the "Greatest Of All Time" 6-2. The only surface Fed consistently wins over Rafa is indoor hard courts (4-0), where Rafa's heavy topspin is neutralized. Again, Rafa beating Fed is never a big deal. It's expected.
And Nole is going to go down as one of the best HC players of all time, behind Sampras, Fed, Agassi, Laver, Connors, Llendl and Mac.
He wasn't afraid to play Rafa on hard courts. Ever.
- And when Novak lost in the semi-finals at Indian Wells, he had no way of knowing that Rafa would skip Miami.
Even more significant, it took Nadal three sets to win in Palm Springs. No one knows who would have won in a Nadal-Djoker hard-court final.
It's insulting to Novak, a six-time Grand Slam winner, to write that he would be afraid to lose to Rafa...even if you substitute clay for hardcourts.
- Oh yes R24, that ass has long been legendary. I don't like huge ones like Nadal, really. Roddick and a load of other tennis players are also great but Gasquet and Ryan Phillippe are the ideal I'd say.
Richie is going bald though. :( He's too beautiful to let that happen, hair plugs aren't advisable mostly but for some they should have them to preserve their boyish good looks.
I was a little put off him when someone said he looked like Ben Folds (by god this is true) but Ben Folds was never sexy at all. I wish Reeshard would come out, unless there really is an invisible girlfriend.
- I watched Richard play in the grandstand at last year's US Open. He does have an amazing ass. And Gasquet is arguably the most handsome male tennis player; TV does not do him justice.
I doubt they we will ever know whether he is gay...at least while still playing tennis. Gasquest is currently ranked #10 in the world, but he's so shy and inconsistent in his tennis that it is unlikely his ranking will ever go much higher
- R169. I wouldn't put Murray in the dumb jock category. I don't know if he finished university but he comes across as quite eloquent and intelligent. It may be a factor that he was one of the pupils involved in the Dunblane massacre. That sort of experience has got to leave a mark.
- What's up with Djoker's inability to adapt to windy conditions? He played horribly last night, embarrassing to watch really.
- Djoker posted on Facebook earlier in the day about his concern of the start time (after 9 PM). I wonder if he was sick...let's hope so because it was the worst match he's played in a very long time.
- Djoker just had a bad day. Fed, Nadal, and (recently) Djoker have really spoiled us. Back when Agassi and Sampras ruled, both often had bad days and would lose to much lower ranked players from time to time. Same with Connors, Borg, Llendl, and Mac. Fed and Nadal just don't seem to lose to lower ranked players if healthy. Novak will be fine. I see him winning the USO and reaching the finals of the FO.
- Gasquet v Murray in the Miami semis? Damn! Please, can we have footage of them going at it in the showers after the match???
- I hope Gasquet brings a bag for Murray's face
- I had the biggest smile on my face when Djokovic lost to a 35 year old mug. Sorry.. don't like him, never did. His nationality is partly to blame. There's a reason why Serbs are so universally hated all over Europe.
- Nadal eats out Djokovic's musky, firm ass every chance he gets.
- Sorry Gasquet had the foot injury against Murray. I was surprised by his relatively curt answers in some of the post-victory interviews in previous matches this week.
I know Gasquet is shy, but it seemed every answer was a hint that he did not want another question. Is he always like that? Is he uncomfortable speaking English?
Also, Last night Courier in a text came very close to calling Gasquet a head case. Right away, the announcers knew they made a mistake in reading the text on the air. But isn't it the private opinion of many in tennis. Certainly French tennis writers seem to believe it as well. Poor Richard!
- I want Masha to fuck me with a strap on and I'm gay
- You know she can do that with her clenching fist right?
Btw I really like the pep talk from Masha's coach before she got bagaled in the third.
- ha! Cunt supreme Shriekpova played her best against Serena in years and still got a beatdown. At least she has her candy...
- Re: Gasquet, I was watching his match against Murray and he had a bit of a meltdown with the chair umpire over a time violation warning (Mary!). They did a closeup of his face when he was arguing and he was oddly furious, unnaturally so. He did strike me as having some sort of mood disorder. Beautiful man though, love those cakes.
- Yes, I would say that Gasquet completely lost it over the time violation. He was right; he should have received a warning first. But, his anger reminded me of McEnroe at his worst. I try to see at least one of his matches each year at the US Open. He has always been very professional, but quite aloof...rarely interacting with the crowd. I never thought I would ever compare a Gasquet angry meltdown to McEnroe's.
It's great to see him play in person. I find myself watching his amazing ass more than his almost as amazing backhand.
- Gasquet's shoulders still slope. Has he finished puberty yet?
- I was pulling for Ferrer, he may never get this opportunity again.
- Serena won and Murray won. I'm thrilled. Exciting comebacks for both of them!
- Yes, the comebacks made both matches exciting but I still feel bad for Ferrer.
- Ferrer is a sweetie with a complex. He rarely has been able to step up against the big 4 and that plays into his mentality greatly when he plays.
- There is an interview of Djokovic on YouTube but I can't find it now. He said in Serbia boys play team sports and if "you play tennis people think you are gay" or something like that.
- Anyone else love Berdych's legs in his newly short shorts?
- Love everything about Berdych! Although, I do think Andy Murray has better legs
- [R261] Glad that Berdych is starting to get his due recognition. He is a very good looking bloke. I've noticed since around '12 AO/that beach video and now that he's wearing shorter shorts this year more people are starting to notice (pic below
I think the other Andy (Roddick) had the best legs TBH. They were flawless! And he was shorter (slightly) than both Murray and Berdych.
- Yes [R262] I'm one of those guys who are noticing how good looking Berdych is. I think it's because he's getting more muscular as he grows older, and it also makes his face more handsome. I've also noticed he's one of the better dressed players at event parties.
- Love Berdych's shorter shorts and Murray's more fitted shirts. I hated seeing all the guys like Roddick in shirts two sizes too big.
That bitch who writes at cnnsi is always mocking them though.
- R264 Roddick and James Blake too.
- I'd enjoy this picture set more if it was a bunch of candid shots of Murray and Valverdu together on one of their beach vacation trips.
- Thanks [R266] for the link. So hot!
btw, have you seen the behind-the-scenes video of Murray's RADO watch commercial? There's a very short candid segment at the end with Danny. I thought he's so cute too, and there really seems some sexual tension between them
- Andy Murray has terminal tinynip. So does Djokovic, sadly...
Which male tennis players actually have normal-sized nips?
- Frank Dancevic has decent nips, r268.
- [R268] Simon and Tsonga.
- I don't have time to Google it now, but, there's a picture of Djoker shirtless online wearing light blue shorts after practicing. He clearly has a slight erection.
- r271, I don't think this could be it, but a girl can dream :-)
- French Davis Cup team.
- [R273] That is some photo!
- Not sure if this has ever been raised in the previous 4 threads but does Novak Djokovic have an eating disorder? He is so thin almost frail looking. He could easily stand to gain 10 to 20 lbs. I wonder if he suffers from anorexia? What is the story or is it just really high metabolism?
- Kinda sweet pic of Andy and Danny touching.
Andy has a great ass, but I think Danny's the bottom one
- R276, gotta ask... Who's Danny? I followed your link, but found no Danny photos.
- r275 - Right before Djokovic has his unbeatable period, he started doing the gluten-free thing and seemed to have developed a whole new fitness system that he's quite private about. I think he's a bit superstitious about his routines and maybe that's resulted in some dietary weirdness.
He looks like a pencil next to hockey player Alexander Ovechkin (Kirilenko's BF). Ovechkin's a big guy, but he's not huge.
- [R277] - I'm referring to Andy Murray's hitting partner, friend and rumored lover Daniel Vallverdu.
According to Wikipedia, he "has a long standing friendship with Andy Murray, whom he met while at the Sanchez-Casal Tennis Academy in Barcelona where they lived in the same residency. They practised together and became close friends."
He is the one wearing a long-sleeved shirt in the link at 276 above. He is actually much cuter than Andy. I think they look so hot together.
- Thanks, r277. For some reason I was being given p 11, while the Vallverdu pics are on p 12. I did a google search for pics of the two of them together, and I must admit I see what you mean. In some pics Andy looks totally gay, and it's usually the onesehere he's with Vallverdu.
- Why are we still talking about that homophobic douche Djokovic? His country is a racist and homophobic shithole. They can't even hold a gay pride parade without gays being violently attacked by the nazi skinheads, which there are a lot of in Serbia. There's a reason they're hated all over Europe. They have a really, really bad reputation. They're probably the most hated people after the Roma people. Serbs are known as hooligans, they have organized crime, and mafia gangs, and they supported a mass murderer (Mladic) for 20 years, not only supported him, but helped hiding him. The only reason they released him is because they wanted to be a part of the EU, and it was one of EU's many demands. Another demand from the EU is that Serbia acknowledge Kosovo as a country, but they refuse to do that, so EU membership looks bleak. Lets be real here though, they're really doing Europe a favor, because nobody wants that nation as a part of EU anyway.
"60 % of Serbians disapprove of homosexuality, and 1/3 condone violence to disrupt gay events." Sounds like a very gay friendly country alright!
- Andy Murray does have a terrific ass! It goes towaste if he has a totally straight sex life... which I think he does. I have never heard any gay rumors on Andy until this thread!
- What R281 said.
- Really, you decide to dislike a tennis player because you don't like his country. You don't even know what's his attitude towards gays.
- What do you guys think of Ernest Gulbis?
- Gulbis is great to have on the circuit - and fun to watch on court - but he is a bit of a dick. Very self-involved - only does want he wants to do, and fuck anyone else. Not popular with the ATP people. But despite that, he really does have a charm about him.
- It's the anti-Serbia poster again. I've never heard of Djokovic saying anything remotely homophobic or anti-gay. Do you hate everyone from every country that oppresses gays? If 60% of Serbs disapprove of homosexuality, that means that 40% do not. Hopefully progress will be made there in the future.
I wouldn't be surprised if Djokovic himself is bi.
Gulbis seems like he's a dick but very upfront about the fact that he's a dick, which I think is the charm, R286.
That's interesting gossip about Andy and Daniel Vallverdu. Andy doesn't ping to me at all, he just seems like your average boring straight guy who likes video games.
- As for R272's pic, very nice but aren't those tennis balls? Sorry to kill any fantasy
- [R285] He's pretty cute IMO. He's making big strides with his results these days. He's always had the talent but now he's getting the focus to go with it.
RE: Djokovic, I'll agree on one thing - he's way too skinny. It's not attractive. Not that he was ever very conventionally good-looking, but yeah, much too skinny.
- r288, of course they're tennis balls—Djokovic is obviously playing sillybuggers, and I was having a bit of a dig.
As for Gulbis, r285, r286, r287, and r289, he might be a dick (and, from what I've seen, very erratic and mentally flakey), but I wouldn't ask him to leave if I happened to find him in my bed. Pic below.
- Novak is not homophobic, he asked a kid (boy) out to hit with him recently who said he wanted to marry him. He has done videos in drag with Victor Troiki, one of his best friends and it is pretty clear he is not homophobic. He lives in Monte Carlo with a very beautiful girlfriend who is pretty much by his side all the time.
Ditto Andy Murray who travels and lives with his girlfriend, also a real beauty.
Anyone who thinks 25 year old tennis champions would go so far as to live with (by coincidence) beautiful young women who fret in the players boxes over their boyfriends matches- are somehow manipulating a false front with beards, are well, nuts.
Not everyone is gay you know- and there are gay men on the tour. They are very closeted, or not so closeted (Tommy Robredo) as remains the case in all men's professional sports.
But Djokovic, Federer, Nadal and Murray are not among them. I have watched them each up close in matches and practicing for years. Not a one of them remotely pings, although all are quite sophisticated- perhaps because tennis is an international sport. They are very aware that they have gay fans- seen it at the US Open and they appear to appreciate them as much as any other fan. All of them have been traveling the world since they were about 15.
- r291 - Because the most alert fangirls can always detect a closet case from the way he swings his racquet? You sound a bit nuts yourself.
- R291, I appreciate your insights but no one said that all of the tennis players are gay. Gossip like the Andy Murray stuff posted above is probably bullshit and we all know it, but it's still fun to read and what this site is for after all. Also, 20 something men in the public eye can have girlfriends and still be on the DL. What incentive do the women, who I assume are primarily in the relationship for status, money, and a nice lifestyle, have to care?
- Tennis.com just ran an opinion piece about how it's time for a gay ATP player to come out. There is nothing really new in the story as different publications and websites have published variations on the theme for several years now. They seem to use the recent news about the possibility of an NFL player (or players) coming out as a reason to discuss the lack of publicly out gay men in tennis.
So the story itself contains no news and isn't very interesting, but some of the comments from the readers are. Sometimes when I read the nonsense that people believe, I understand how a pro athlete wouldn't necessarily want to deal with people's comments and opinions and would just stay closeted and focus on their game.
- [quote]Novak is not homophobic, he asked a kid (boy) out to hit with him recently who said he wanted to marry him. He has done videos in drag with Victor Troiki, one of his best friends and it is pretty clear he is not homophobic. He lives in Monte Carlo with a very beautiful girlfriend who is pretty much by his side all the time.
Actually, chances are he is homophobic, since he's a serb. That "marry me" moment looked fake from the start. Quite unlike the "he said he loved me" moment with Nadal, which was obviously spontaneous. Face it, Spaniards are gay friendly, serbs are gay bashers.
Appearing in drag doesn't exclude him being homophobic. Djokovic is an attention whore. He does everything to gain attention, which is why I think the "marry me" was a set up. It didn't seem like him at all. Oh, and btw, I'm sure he panders to the gay fans, but again.. it's just because he enjoys being an attention whore. It's not because he's gay friendly.
I still don't understand why you guys would support a player from a gay hating country like Serbia. There's a reason serbs are the most hated people in Europe. They have a horrible reputation, especially from the time where they massacred the muslim population in Serbia. Oh yeah, and hiding and protecting a mass murderer for years isn't exactly doing wonders for their image either. Oh, and btw, most serbians actually support Mladic and agree with what he did. It's like most Norwegians would agree with what Breivik did. Do you now understand why most serbs are scum?
This is from wikipedia "Lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) persons in Serbia may face legal challenges not experienced by non-LGBT residents."
And here's an article about the government banning gay pride parades, because that's easier than dealing with the serbian nazi skinheads violently attacking them. Yes, you're right. Serbia is such a fantastic country! LMAO
- Here's more from wikipedia about the gay hating attitudes in Serbia.
[quote]Gays and lesbians continue to face discrimination and harassment in Serbia. The majority of Serbian people display vast anti-gay attitudes. There have been numerous instances of violent gay-bashing, the most extreme during the first Belgrade Gay Pride.
- R296, you just described the majority of Americans. You can say things have changed in the last two years, but based on your bigoted logic, you're all most likely homophobes.
- R291 sounds like Charlie! But I agree with everything he said- except that I do think Nadal is gay.
- I don't know if the "marry me" moment with Djokovic was fake or not, but what homophobic man would set up a fake moment with a boy asking him to marry him so he could invite him onto the court?
We get it, you like Nadal and dislike Djokovic.
- I don't find Gulbis remotely charming - more of a douche - though I do think he is talented with lots of potential. However, coming from a very wealthy family he doesn't have the drive that a lot of tennis players have to succeed. It's more something for him to do until he inherits his father's millions.
- R298, it's totally charlie. GOOD CALL!
- So it's a Rafa/Nole final again! Who will come on top this time?
- LOL to that phrasing R302. I hope Nole, but with Rafa on clay it's one of those 'I'll have to see him lose to believe it' things.
- If Rafa wins tomorrow, I predict he wins the French and Wimby.
- What happened? Anyone?
- I don't think there's just one anti-Serbia troll. I, for one, am wary of the motivations of Balkan players. You will recall that Goran Ivanisevic was a homophobic terror.
- Yeah but Nole paraded around in a wig and pretended to make love to his teammate. Different situation.
- DIE, already, you tiresome Serb hater. Novak has done NOTHING to indicate he's homophobic, quite the contrary. Congrats to him on a great win today.
And as much as I'd love to believe that Rafa is gay, he's obviously not. And Xisca is gorgeous.
Good for Robredo for not being a closet case.
- Robredo is not in the closet? Andy Murray's birthmark?
- There are a lot of people who feel that way, R308. I agree with R306 and the many other posters upthread... The Serbs have to prove to us that they have joined modern society.
- From the Djokovic win today. I know, tennis ball, but still funny considering his stance and expression.
- Sad watching Verdasco now (playing tennis at least). He was a good one once. Still, he still looks very strong physically (well, judging by his body =p) and still hits the ball well. His inability to win a match looks like it's all in his head.
- Is Rafa finished for the clay season?
- The Serbian troll claiming Novak a homophobe based on his native country's social politics is, well, stupid. By the way, Novak lives in Monte Carlo, probably for tax reasons. When I read DL raving about him being gay, or Nadal or Fed... I just think that person know little about them or the game.
Robredo, whose career is pretty much at its end, travels openly with his partner, and lives pretty openly on the tour. According to Billie Jean King a few years ago in a local tennis magazine interview, he is as out as any professional athelete is. He just is not a big star- Nadal and Fed are known among many who know little of professional tennis.
- R309, I agree about AM's almighty thighs. Sexy as all hell. I wish I were closer to them.
- Andy's chest, in those tight-fitting shirts, makes me wet!
- Mirka getting wet...
- Goran Ivanisevic is Croatian not Serbian.
- OK, I can't say I know 100% for sure, but according to a contact very close to Nole, he is most definitely not homophobic. The crazy parents on the other hand ...
- R319, more on Nole, please.
I think he's quite attractive in spite of his too skinny bod and unfortunate case of tinynips.
His girlfriend needs to sit down and shut up though. Nothing is more annoying than the camera showing her giant head every few seconds. The parents aren't exactly winners either.
- Fuck you, Brooklyn. Both you and your husband are has-beens. Or more accurately, never-beens. Whereas Fed, Andy, Nole and Rafael are still great and hot too!
- Come on r321 ! Don't be mean! How do you know A Rod wouldn't be hot after he competes his transition to bear?
- Perhaps American players should also apologize for their country's voracious appetite for guns, violence and hatred of the poor and elderly.
- It's obvious that there's not just one 'Serbian troll'. Argue the merits of either side, of course, but don't be stupid.
- Next someone will blame Novak Djokovic for a Serbian assassinating Arch-Duke Franz Ferdinand of Austria in Sarajevo ninety-nine years ago. An event that many historians believe lead to World War I. In reality I think of Franz Ferdinand as a wonderful rock group...hope does Novak as well.
- You're right, R322. I can't stand Roddick's, but I have to admit he has a great ass, just like Rafa and Murray
- [quote]It's obvious that there's not just one 'Serbian troll'.
Good luck with that.
- Thank you to R319 for answering the "is Djoker homophobic?" question.
One of the more interesting rumors about him was that his mid summer slump last year in which he lost both Wimbledon and the Olympics was that he briefly found himself back with Sharapova (who he'd been with before), who had just ended her own engagement. That's according to someone who's from Belgrade. Any truth to this?
- Yeah, no one person or ethnic group had preconceived notions of Serbians before this thread existed, moron/R327.
- (R328), i haven't heard anything about that.
- Thanks R319. I think people found it plausible considering Sharapova's thing for guys who resemble him. If you have anything else to share about Djoker I know we'd all love to hear some dish (except for our very dear anti-Serbia troll)
- (R331), not too much to dish that i haven't written about before. He is actually a very affable, very friendly guy and his girlfriend is delightful. There were issues a few years ago with the family because the crazy parents wanted him to dump the girlfriend to concentrate on his tennis and he refused. He is, as many have pointed out, VERY thin and has got thinner yet it doesn't seem to impact his core strength.
His relationships with other players are good now - weren't always. Fed did not like him at all in the early years, even refusing to play one exho if Nole was going to play.
- Thanks R332. I get the sense that Federer even barely just tolerates him now.
Getting away from dish for a sec, I do wonder what will happen to Fed this year. He's having a bad season so far although making it to the AO SF probably isn't so bad for him. It seems that whenever people write him off he somehow bounces back. It would be cool to see him win one more Wimbledon title.
- Novak is very thin, but also very fit, as his record in 5-set matches would bear out.
I don't Fed likes any players who are able to beat him with any regularity.
- At this point in their respective careers, I doubt that Djokovic cared whether Federer likes him or not.
- I was watching the Marrakech WTA final yesterday, and was pleased to see Hicham Arazi is the new tournament director. IIRC, there were rumours aplenty during the 2005 AO in 2005 or so about Hicham hitting the gay bars in Melbourne during his down time. If his sartorial choice at the awards ceremony in Marrakech is anything to go by, then those rumours are almost certainly true. That very D&G-looking suit certainly did great things for his arse, too :-)
- But let’s give Francesca Schiavone a big thumbs up as well. She’s closing on 33 years of age, and her ranking has been in free fall. Yet she pulled through to win the tournament and was at her gracious best afterward, saying: “I want to give many thanks to everyone who helped make this tournament happen. It’s the first year in Marrakech, and the first year is always difficult, but the tournament was fantastic and I felt like I was at home. And of course to the Tournament Director, Mr. Arazi, it was an honor for me to be here with him.”
That’s a classy way to honor your hosts, especially in so traditional a nation. Well done, Francesca.
- Arazi pinged for sure, though I never heard the bar rumors.
And talk of him reminds me how much I miss Younes El Aynaoui.
- And there was also Karim Alami (who never pinged, but was gorgeous to watch on a tennis court).
- R331 in which way Maria's "ex-boyfriends" resemble Nole?? If anything Maria is the current Sabatini 2.0, an alleged lesbian which was linked to many men.
- The Monica Seles stabbing was 20 years ago today.
How would the record books be different if she wasn't out of the game for a little over 2 years following the attack?
Would Graf have ever reclaimed the No. 1 ranking that Monica had taken from her? Certainly Steffi's overall number of titles would now look significantly different since Monica was the only one beating her, and with regularity. She had her number.
Unfortunately we'll never know if Monica would have maintained her dominance.
- Seles didn't have Steffi's number. It was a fenomenon of Monica beating everyone else more than anything.
- Andy and Mardy - glad they did it, and hope tons more sign up. But why oh why did it take so long for someone from the ATP to do something like this?
- I think I'm in love with Mardy... So handsome.
- R308, wow, I should die for stating facts? It's not my fault you support a homophobic douce from the most homophobic and racist country in Europe. Then again, you really wouldn't understand the hate for Serbs unless you lived here, but again.. supporting and hiding a mass murderer for 20 years and killing thousands of albanians should be enough clue about their dirty history. Serbs are gay hating and violent, to the point that they physically attack gay people. I have backed it up with articles too, but go right ahead and continue to defend the disgusting Serbs, it really says more about me than you. I'm gay and would never ever support a gay hating country like Serbia.
- Wow, props to Roddick and Fish.
Suddenly I like Roddick a lot more.
- [quote]Seles didn't have Steffi's number.
Of course she did. They played four grand slam finals before the stabbing and Monica won 3. Her only loss was at Wimbledon back when it was actually a fast surface. Their rivalry and dynamic was actually very similar to Federer/Nadal.
- R345, we could "back up" all sorts of broad bashing of the US with the thousands of times the articles about anti-gay hate in the US. More than half of your country is as bad as any homophobic stereotype you portray.
Again, for the 1000th time, by your fucked-up logic, you're a gay hating homophobe, especially anyone in the red states.
You're a bigot. If the gay community could kick you out, it should.
- Tennis seems ready for gay male, but none are out
USA TODAY Sports 12:37 p.m. EDT May 1, 2013
The tennis community rallied in support of NBA player Jason Collins announcing he was gay
Tennis has a history of prominent players being out
So far, however, that has been exclusively women
As support poured in from the tennis community for NBA player Jason Collins' decision to come out Monday, another question cropped up.
Where are the gay men in tennis?
An individual sport with a history of prominent out athletes such as Billie Jean King, Martina Navratilova and Amelie Mauresmo — No. 1s all — tennis has been conspicuously without an active openly gay male player in the Open era.
In interviews with more than a dozen male and female players over the past few months — from teenager Laura Robson of Britain to 40-year-old doubles specialist Daniel Nestor of Canada — none expressed discomfort with the idea of a gay peer.
And many agreed that simple math suggests they exist. Studies put the percentage of homosexuals in the general population at anywhere from 2%-5%.
"There's got to be someone who plays tennis who is gay," said Sam Querrey, the top-ranked American at No. 19. "Whether they are on the tour now or up and coming, I'm completely fine with it."
Still, most scratched their heads for an explanation.
"I don't know," admitted nine-time Wimbledon singles winner Navratilova after learning about Collins. Navratilova came out during her prime in 1981.
Martina Navratilova praised Jason Collins' decision to announce that he was gay.(Photo: Buda Mendes, Getty Images For Laureus)
While 12-year NBA veteran Collins is the first active male in a major American team sport to declare his same-sex preference, several men have come out in baseball, football and basketball, not to mention a variety of other sports from soccer to figure skating to swimming. Until Collins, 34, nearly all did so after retiring.
Some, such as diver Greg Louganis and relay swimmer Bruce Hayes, both Olympic gold medalists, reached the pinnacle of their sport.
At least one male player has come out in retirement: Francisco Rodriguez of Paraguay, a former all-American who competed on the pro tour from 2001-2006 and earned a high ranking of No. 373.
Rodriguez spoke about being gay in a 2008 article in Out Magazine, saying: "'If you came out on the tennis tour you would be an outcast.'"
Pro tennis might not be a bastion of tolerance, but it would appear to contain the framework for gay athletes, male or female, to compete with greater ease.
Players are independent contractors that control their own destiny (in singles). They do not rely on teammates. General managers or coaches cannot thwart or threaten playing time. It is non-contact. They face no external forces except the opponent on the other side of the net.
In searching for answers, players offered several possibilities for the lack of openly gay men and scarcity of publicly out women.
Some wondered if a global sport like tennis might actually be less tolerant due to the complicated matrix of nationalities, languages and religions.
"It's so many different islands," said Mike Bryan, who with twin brother Bob is ranked No. 1 in doubles. "I don't know how everyone feels on that issue."
Others such as American veteran Michael Russell pointed to the timeworn but still persistent idea that locker room etiquette is a deterrent.
"It's pretty open in the locker room," said Russell, who nevertheless said he'd have no problems in that scenario. "Maybe they'd feel uncomfortable."
A few cited the threat economic sanctions in the form of lost endorsements.
"Trust me, Martina and Billie Jean suffered with the endorsements," said 18-time major winner Chris Evert, referring to her rivals and friends Navratilova and King.
Evert said that fear lingers, though that did not seem to affect Frenchwoman Mauresmo, who came out during her run to the Australian Open final as a 19-year-old in 1999 but seemed little penalized during her career.
Evert also argued that staying closeted — or at least not publicly speaking about one's sexuality — stems from a desire for privacy. She noted that some women players continue to travel openly with their partners but have not officially come out.
"I think a lot of people feel that what they do off the court or off the set is nobody's business," she said, comparing professional sports to Hollywood. "People want to keep one part of their life private."
Querrey wondered if gay men naturally gravitate away from sports and were thus less represented.
Rennae Stubbs of Australia, who came out near the end of her career and now is a commentator for television, said macho stereotypes have worked both for and against gay athletes.
"Most people perceive a lot of women athletes as being gay anyway, which is ridiculous because we all know that's not the case," the four-time doubles Grand Slam champion said. "I think it's a lot more difficult for the guys, and not just tennis. Every sport has this issue."
Stubbs came out because she didn't want it "hanging over my head" as she made the transition to other endeavors after retiring.
"The bottom line," she said of coming out, "is that it's a personal preference and some people are very private people. Only they can answer that. I'm a very open person. That's why."
Certainly, the climate for gay athletes is warming.
After hearing about Collins, Andy Roddick and Mardy Fish became the first two male tennis players to join Athlete Ally, an organization dedicated to ending homophobia in sports.
Fish, who lives close to Collins' twin brother Jarron in Los Angeles and has socialized with both brothers, wrote by email that he joined Athlete Ally to be "part of something I believe in."
"I don't know how an openly gay male tennis player would be received but in my eyes nothing would change," said the former top-10 player, who has played sparingly this year due to the ongoing effects of a heart condition. "Hopefully these are the first steps towards a day when this won't be big news."
The 35-year-old Bryans, who attended Stanford University with the Collins brothers and remain friends, echoed most views when they said they don't know any current men who are gay but believe the environment is transforming quickly.
"The world has changed," said Mike. "It's the 21st century. Everyone is more accepting. I don't think anyone would have any issues. But who knows?"
- "gay men gravitate away from sports"
Nonsense of course. And notice how Arthur Ashe didn't make this article.
- [quote]And notice how Arthur Ashe didn't make this article.
Why would he be? He's not alive to give the reporter a quote. And he wasn't a gay man.
- "After hearing about Collins, Andy Roddick and Mardy Fish became the first two male tennis players to join Athlete Ally, an organization dedicated to ending homophobia in sports."
Good to hear that considering Roddick's ass is a power top's dream!
- I really bought into the media hype about Serena having been a mentor to Sloane Stephens.
Now Sloane seems to be indicating that was never the case.
- I've had enough of Sloane. If it was so easy to get to the AO semis, why hasn't she made a third round since?
At least Serena backs up her talk.
- Sloane Tweet.
Sloane Stephens @sloanetweets
Guilty of being naive. Much respect 4 @serenawilliams , a champ & the GOAT. We spoke, we're good. ONWARD! #lifelessons
- Sloane needs an experienced manager or publicist of some sort. She runs her mouth without thinking too much, and tennis journos just eat it up.
- I don't know what's more embarrassing--Sloane's backtracking on what sound like pretty plausible grounds for disliking Williams, or the fact that they both actually use BlackBerry Messenger.
No, probably the most embarrassing thing is Sloane's referring to Williams as the GOAT. That requires a whole different category of parallel universe to be in place, or a mammoth session of arse licking.
- R350, there's a great NYT article about kids in the closet overcompensating with academic and/or sporting excellence, so if anything the top rungs of academia and sports (including tennis) should be full of gays...
- R357, I loathe Serena, but she's fast approaching Graf and Martina as the GOAT. I don't think she'll get there, at least not to Graf. But she's already passed Chrissie and Seles in my book.
It would be like calling Rafa the GOAT on the men's side. Has he passed Fed, Laver and Sampras yet? Probably not. But he's very close and calling him the GOAT isn't like calling, Agassi or Connors the GOAT. It's not a ridiculous assertion.
- Dimitrov took out Nole. But I don't think he will go far in Madrid...
- Well, well, well... Dimitrov just ousted Djokovic in Madrid. A future number one, and much-rumoured gayboy (see link below, of a much younger Dimitrov, with the always gorgeous Tursunov), shed a tear or two after his first win over Djokovic.
- Is this Dimitrov's first win against the Big Four?
- They played at IW in March and it was pretty straightforward for Djokovic.
Good for Dimitrov. I'm not convinced he'll make good on his talents, but here's hoping.
- R363, yes, it is. Though he's never played Federer, up to tonight he'd never won against Djokovic (0-2); he's never won against Murray (0-3), or Nadal (0-2). Interestingly enough, until tonight's 3-set win against Djokovic, the only player he'd taken a set off was Nadal (doing so, though, in both their matches).
I kind of feel he's the real deal--at least based on what I saw tonight, and the Monte Carlo match against Nadal.
- Sorry, my reply was meant for r362.
- Sloane said Serena is a cunt, which is basically news to no one. Then again, who cares? The girl isn't paid to be nice, she's paid to win.
- I think Dimitrov is the real deal. That Indian Wells match against Djokovic wasn't so straightforward. Dimitrov served for the first set before Novak managed to turn things around. He also went the distance vs. Nadal in Monte Carlo a couple of weeks ago. He's been getting closer and closer over the last few months.
- Did anyone catch Djokovic yelling at the crowd in Serbian "now you're going to suck my dick"?
- Are Dimitrov and Masha officially dating each other?
- [quote]Sloane said Serena is a cunt, which is basically news to no one. Then again, who cares? The girl isn't paid to be nice, she's paid to win
Sloane Stephens sounded like someone who'd had a brief affair with Serena and then been dumped.
- R369, hot off the (Daily Mail UK) press (see link below), for your viewing pleasure, are photos of "young lovers" Dim and Sharp enjoying "the charm of Madrid" and stealing a kiss on a street corner. The photos are as photo-oppy as any I've ever seen, including similar photos taken of the two in Milan earlier this winter.
I note with great pleasure that the Daily Mail is honest enough to put the article and photos in the Sowbiz section of the paper.
My take is that Dimitrov might be gay, might not be gay, and that Sharapova might be gay, might not be gay--but they certainly ain't no couple.
- How coincidental that these photos just so happen to be taken the day after Dimitrov got his biggest win!
Dimitrov pings off the charts.
As for Sharapova, who knows. Why is she always with these Balkan guys (seemingly her type) if she's gay? First Djokovic, then the Serbian basketball player, now Dimitrov.
- Yeah. Not to be the cynic, but that photo op is as staged and as convenient as can be.
What is the point? I suppose it benefits him to increase his name recognition, but I don't see how this is necessary for Maria.
- Curiouser and curiouser...
Did anyone know that, before he started "dating" Sharapova, Dimitrov was "dating" Serena Williams? Now, if you go from Serena to Sharapova in the time that it takes most players to change their jockstrap, either you're the consummate lothario or your and their agents are working overtime for whatever reason. I can't quite see Dimitrov as this tennis generation's Casanova. And the photo (at link below) certainly doesn't communicate budding love or lust...
- Yes, R374, you're right. As if his PR (or whoever) floating a rumor about him and Serena wasn't a red flag enough, now he's doing photo ops with Sharapova. My question is why they don't link him with a WTA woman who seems absolutely straight, like an Ivanovic or Kirelinko type.
My question is why Sharapova agreed to do all of this? She does love money and keeping her sponsors happy, so maybe it was a Nike (both she and Grigor are sponsored by them) idea? Mutual bearding also makes sense, but as I pointed out earlier, why does she always "beard" with these Balkan guys who look alike? To me that seems much more in line with someone having a type than beard after beard (like Renee Z's random love life choices).
- Grigor is a scrawny two-timing BITCH!
- [quote]Did anyone catch Djokovic yelling at the crowd in Serbian "now you're going to suck my dick"?
Oh, millions of us here in the US did. Where we all speak Serbian and hate Serbians.
- She and Novak both denied dating each other. There was certain especulation due to a pic of them hanging out at a bar and Maria was also there with Camilla Belle.
- Maria's starting to look like Martina N in the face in candids.
Speaking of, when will she have enough money to say fuck it and glide off with Camilla Belle? Camilla's acting career isn't going so well. She needs an "Ellen."
- What is Venus W doing these days? Does she work for Serena?
- Venus and Andy Roddick just became minority owners of the World Team Tennis.
- Of course Maria and Novak denied it, R378. Someone who sounded in the know dished on here a long time ago in one of the previous threads that someone close to Djokovic said they definitely had something going on. I don't remember the details but this person seemed generally informed. Even putting Djokovic aside, why use some declining basketball star as your beard? I don't know, I think all of this adds up to more than Maria simply being a lesbian. I do agree that Dimitrov pings to high heaven. Perhaps someone with insider knowledge can enlighten us...
- I'm loving Rafa in the shorter shorts, and Murray in his tight outfit. I'm not sure whose thighs and ass I prefer. Damm, that's some good cracker.
- It's true R384 but let's not forget that some people want to see Maria as straight no matter what. The same thing happened to Sabatini 20 years ago. Even today Henri Leconte claims to have had an affair with Gaby eventhough most says she's a lez. Both Sabatini and Sharapova has clelebrities and some douche bags in their list of "boyfirends" and "flings". Either way I can't help but relate the two since they both show similar patterns.
- I forgot to add that Ana Ivanovic doesn't need to do these kind of stuff to prove she's straight.
- I don't think Dimitrov is gay, but I do think Sharapova is. The age difference alone raises suspicion -- at that age, the woman being 5 yrs older is a big thing.
There is enough evidence about her, and the whole basketball player engagement was obviously a PR set up. They were barely ever together. The kiss with Dimitrov looks painfully awkward -- there's no way those two have their hands all over each other.
Her agent has already talked about planning her post-tennis career, so if she's in the closet, she's not coming out anytime soon.
Dimitrov, on the other hand, is probably in it for the money. He "dated" Serena Williams last year, too. Lol, while she was really dating her coach.
- Top four are all out in Madrid. Is this title Nadal's to lose?
- I'd say yes, R388. But Andujar can play. I've never seem him take on Rafa, but I hope that will be a good match ... and easy on the eye.
- Andujar is one hot man (if you like hairy and uncut)
- R383, I'd take Nadal's ass and Murray's chest and thighs.
- Maria comes off as completely sexless to me. I can't even imagine her masturbating.
- If Sharapova is in fact gay, she deserves to be outed.
It's one thing if you lead a quiet existence & occasionally show up to an big event with a beard, but the ridiculous engagement with Vujacic and now that sexless pretend kiss with Dimitrov deserves to be exposed.
- Another lame attempt from Sharapova to appear straight
- I never believed the Sharapova gay rumors (dating back to the Camilla Belle saga). But these staged pics are too much. Now I'm on board, too.
- Another thrashing for Sharapova. Quelle surprise.
- Yeah, but I have my boyfriend...uh...what's his name's hot cock to console me!!!
- R397, I mean M. Sharapova, Hetero Cock Lover, are you any relation to P. Shriver, Hetero Peen Lover?
- After those Maria/Grigor pics "leaked," she wrote "How did you catch us???" on the camera lens (when players normally sign their name) after her next win.
It's so desperate it's almost sad. But I guess all of her endorsement money (which commentators never fail to shove down our throats) is safe.
- Strange answer, Roger's... "I don't know if there are any." Do these players all live in a bubble, and/or are the gay players so completely and totally closeted that not even an inkling of their orientation gets out?
- YES R399, I had the same thought! How transparent and desperate. "How did you catch us?" what a joke. It seems so calculated, just like the entire "relationship".
- WTF is wrong with Andy Murray, who retired today against Granollers? For somebody in such "great shape", he sure is gimpy.
He's either over-training, or he's a pussy.
- Really proud of Wawrinka's improvement lately. Magnus Norman is a great coach!
- r402, I really think he was in pain during yesterday's match (bits of which I saw on telly), and he seemed fairly sincere during the press conference where he said he played to the end of the second set before retiring because of pain due to a pulled muscle in his lower back. Having said that, I do think you're right - he is a bit delicate in the health department—there's a real princess hiding beneath that sneer of his :-)
- r400 Well he's hardly going to say "Yes, there are heaps!"
- R402 he says he has a chronic back injury that is aggravated by playing on clay. He's likely out of the French Open.
That or he wants to toughen up to win his first Wimbledon.
- Nole just posted this.
I didn't believe he was homophobic, now I'm more convinced he isn't...
- Oh, Lord, Aar. The DL's resident Serb hater's head is going to explode...
- [R408] I actually chat a lot with the person you're referring to, away from Datalounge. She's really a good person. But in the case of Djokovic we do respectfully disagree with one another ;)
- Several handsome (meaning not Murray) younger players are featured in an upcoming piece for Men's Journal. The Harrison bros, Goffin, and Berankis are included. They even managed to make Raonic look fairly hot. Apparently Tomic will be part of it also, but the attached doesn't have a pic of him.
Of course Dmitrov is there as part of his recent PR blitz, but being Sharapova's fake boyfriend is the best promotion anyone could ask for.
- Hooray for the Joker's libido. I hope he becomes the biggest heartbreaker in tennis history. It's about time we had another great gay, one without the baggage of Mr. Tilden.
- Fuck you, R410. This is how you do a shoot for a magazine.
- Here's another sexy Andy magazine shoot.
- Nice link r410.
I'll be in the minority, but I find Ryan hotter than Grigor.
- Oh r413 Dani...
- Raonic is deeply unattractive. Why do they keep trying to position him as some dreamboat.
- Raonic has incredible legs. I have to hand that to him =D But yeah, not good looking. He looks like Moe from the Simpsons.
- R412 = R413 = Kevin Spacey, jerking off to the hideous troll Andy Murray.
- Go suck Sam Stosur's dick, R418
- R409, a bigot against an entire race or nationality is not a "good person", and if by "chat" with her you mean online, I doubt you know enough about her to rate her a "good person".
She would have to an extraordinary amount of good works with a great excuse for her hatred to earn the praise you're heaping on her.
- Masha withdrew today before her quarterfinal match in Rome claiming "sickness" and unspecified "physical problems."
Guess she's not used to being in the same city as her man for tournaments. That "sickness" obviously refers to LOVE sickness. And those unspecified "physical problems?" Obviously caused by getting multiple daily doses of that Romanian dick meat. I'm surprised she's not walking funny and can still talk without a lot of jaw discomfort.
She'd better figure out a way to limit her craving for cock over the next week, or she might end up with a lot more free time in Paris than she's expecting.
Maybe Pam Shriver can spend some time with her (get a taste of that Sugarpova) and give her some advice on how to properly temper her cock fever. There is a time and a place, right Pammy?
- I think her sickness comes from worrying about getting yet another beatdown from Serena
- [R423] Don't be ridiculous =p. No matter how embarrassing the H2H is Maria's always been woman enough to not run away.
- ITA with Aar. Maria's no pussy.
Wrt Murray, I won't see his face when he wraps those thighs around my head.
And yah, Grigor is fine.
- Has Serena ever enjoyed any lez action? Or is she too much of a fucked up JW to even consider it?
- I'd love a 3some with Murray and Dani V.
- Grigor Dimitrov needs to sit on my face. Right now.
- I cutta bitch, R427.
- So Serena routines Azarenka 61, 63.
Nadal is absolutely crushing Federer 61, 30
I've been a huge fan of tennis for almost 30 years, and I'm finding myself incredibly bored and disinterested in the sport lately. If Serena's at her best, no one else has a shot. Djokovic can beat Nadal, but pretty much no one else.
The few instances where other players dominated (Federer, Graf, Navratilova) i could find reasons to watch them, or perhaps i just liked them better. I'm not really a fan of either Serena or Rafael, and their dominance might drive me out of the sport.
I did spend some time yesterday watching old matches on You Tube, and found that more entertaining just because of the different styles of play that don't seem as prevalent in this era.
- I can't ever recall there being such a huge gap talent wise betwenn #1 and the rest of the field as there is today in women's tennis.
At least in the ATP any of the top 4 have a chance of winning.
- I am so happy Serena won the Italian Open, Go USA!
- I love Rafa, R430, so I couldn't disagree more. I hated smug Fed and love to see him fade now (though I do recognize his utter brilliance). That said, what til after the French. Then it should get more interested. The Big 4 can all win at Wimbledon, and Rafa will actually be the underdog at the USO, where Nole should be the favorite.
I agree about woman's tennis. Total bore. Serena should easily rack up another four or five Slams if she stays healthy and focused.
- Too bad Serena doesn't have anyone to push her now. Their rivalry made both Evert and Navrotilova much better players.
- I know Vika and Serena didn't probably mean it this way but I love the way they wished each other luck and hoped to see each other in the final.
- [quote]I am so happy Serena won the Italian Open, Go USA!
Gag. Can we please keep the crass, misguided nationalism out of tennis? Serena has no challengers when she's at her best, but who the FUCK cares what country she's from?
PS: It's time for Roger to hang it up.
- Roger will stay on tour so long as there's a glimmer of hope for padding his slam total. He's still good enough to get close, and if everything goes his way, it's possible. Of the top players, he could take Murray on a good day for him/off day for Murray. Then he would need some luck for someone else to take out Djoker & especially Nadal.
Anyway, what else would he do? After tennis, it's all Mirka & the twins, all the time.(SOW: unfair the poor little creatures got daddy's nose).
- You're prolly right, R437, but that was an embarrassing beat-down today from Rafa.
- Well, Roger does have his good friend Gavin Rosdale to occupy his time.
- Thanks for the shirtless picture of Andy Murray! I love his game and body!
- Did anyone see Masha's latest tweet? Hash tag fashion police...
- I've never had such a love/hate thing with a player as I do with Rafa. I hate his style of play and all his antics, but Goddamn, I think he just has the most perfect ass + legs on the tour. And when he's not his maniacal tennis-playing self he actually seems really sweet.
So I think it's a good idea for me to avoid his matches, and just look at off-court things and photos ()=)
- Aar, I had a similar thing with Andy Roddick. I could not stand his jerky attitude and his one dimensional play. I cheered every time he lost. But I would jerk-off to his pics, imagining other hot players fucking his very nice ass in the locker room!
- I agree that Andy has a better ass than that bony Bronx.
- I'm not sure what that is Tommy... Is that a tennis ball or some fine German sausage?
- Tommy has aged so much in the face, but hot legs.
- Tommy Haas is still very handsome and he's got a rocking hot bod. He is the only 35-year old I'd fuck
- ITA, R447. But DAMN, was he fine in his early 20s.
- Roger Federer is on Twitter now. 1 tweet, 10,000+ followers within 6 hours.
- So it's Novak-Rafa, Federer-Ferrer in each quarters. I really hope Ferrer can beat Federer this time...
- Okay, Rafa has my favourite legs in the men's game. I know lots here say Murray, but I'm going Rafa for ass and legs ;)
- And now Roger is on Reddit doing AMA. Cam4 next?
- French Open draw is out and there's nothing remotely suspicious that Fed gets qualifiers in the first two rounds on his least favorite surface. Nope, nothing at all.
- The draw is done by computer for the slots of the non-seeds (anyone below 32). It is done by hand for the placements of 3-4, 5-8. 9-16, 17-24, and 25-32 (in that order).
So, the organizers can conceivably rig the automated parts for one of the top two seeds (ie Federer getting two qualifiers in a row to start, since Federer, as the 2 seed, is one of two players who knew their exact line in the draw, along with #1 Djokovic).
But they could not rig Nadal's placement--that was Maria Sharapova who pulled his number instead of Ferrer in Djokovic's half. And while Federer has an easy first two rounds, he gets a Benneteau who's taken him five recently in the third round, a Simon who plays him tough, and then Tsonga in front of the home crowd. No guarantee he makes it to the semis.
- Still, there's very little between Rodge and the final. His cake-y draw will likely put an extra spring in his step.
I have a feeling Rafa is going to have a shock elimination. He's due for one, his knee can't be 100% after so much play since his comeback, and he'll have Djoker in his head. Hope I'm wrong.
- Fed will lose to Tsonga, assuming Fed even goes that far.
- So the real final will be the Rafa-Nole semi, assuming no big upset happens on the way.
You can see a way, though, if Rafa-Nole completely bludgeon each other for 5 hours, for Fed, or even Ferrer, to have a chance at the trophy.
- Anyone read the news that Roddick will become a host/pundit(?) on Fox Sports?
- Tsonga is a notorious underachiever and headcase. I wouldn't count on him beating Fed
- r457 - I can't see that happening. Both of them want it too much. Whoever wins that semi will win RG.
- Murray naked in the showers ;)
- Am I the only one who hasn't seen this photo?
- What should we call this...?
- You have to be a member of Men's Tennis Forums to see that photo, r461.
- Worth noting - James Blake joins anti-homophobia campaign alongside Fish and Roddick.
- I was wondering why no other players had joined, but it seems to be an American organization, and not limited to tennis.
It's great that those 3 have joined, though maybe not as meaningful because they are retired, or nearly so (and also close friends). Why not Isner, Querrey etc?
- Querrey pings to Mars. I saw him in Newport a few years ago walking around town with a FINE piece of male ass. They looked more than friendly.
- Isner and Querrey are said to be good buddies.
- Is Query rich? Because let's be honest, he's as fug as hell
- He is fug. But he seems like a nice guy, and I bet he's got a dick as big as a loaf of bread.
- I watched this interview again because of a certain comment. But I didn't see anything.
- R466, I was wondering the same thing. You'd think at least one active player (no pun intended) would sign up?
BTW, the second row of Gasquet's box for his FO 4th round match against Wawrinka looks gayer than a row of tents.
- Dickie Gasket must have checked into the local loonie bin after blowing that lead today.
- This dude doing impressions of the top ATP guys is really good. It's just vocal impressions - not like when Djokovic acts out Nadal's or Sharapova's service motions on court.
He does Djokovic, Nadal, Ferrer, Murray, Federer, and Gasquet. I listened to it without watching him and probably could have been fooled by most of them - maybe not Ferrer and definitely not Fed.
- The first guy's Novak and Ferrer are really good, and both the Rafas.
The Murrays and Rogers, not so much...
- Might be fun to watch - Haas and Federer are teaming up for doubles at Halle next week. Last year they played each other in the tournament final with Tommy getting the better of Rog that day.
And Rafa has pulled out of the tournament - no surprise there. But I wonder if he'll get any grass court matches in before Wimbledon.
- I saw Fed and Haas get shellacked by Melzer and Petzschner yesterday. Roger and Tommy looked pretty pedestrian at doubles.
- The Isner-Querrey name is Isqueer
- Apropos of the Russian anti-gay laws getting passed, who ever would have predicated 10 years ago that obnoxious, frat boy Roddick would join a pro-gay alliance and fun, sophisticated guy Safin would be join a political party that supports hate legislation?
- I wouldn't describe Safin as sophisticated, at least not 10 years ago.
- WTF is wrong with Russia? Can someone explain why they are stuck in the dark ages?
- r481 - I guess I mean more worldly, not necessarily refined, whereas Roddick came across like a good ol boy. Obviously, I was wrong.
- I wonder if Safin is an observant Muslim? Dinara seemed to be.
- The vote was 436-0, which means Safin voted for it, apparently, unless he abstained.
- r485 - This is apparently his twitter, even though it's not verified:
I let him know what I thought.
- The 'Safin is bisexual' rumors have been around for nearly a decade, with credible accounts mentioned both here and in other tennis forums. I could totally see Safin attempting to bury that side of himself, though.
- Murray massaged.
- Mmmm, R488.
- r486, just did the same—I actually asked him to deny he'd voted for the legislation. I suggest anyone else with Twitter do the same.
- Isner's not gay. Sad, cause he's really hot in person--tall, striking, looks hung.
- And there Kev Spacey is again at one of Murray's matches. This time (as I type) at Queen's (stop that sniggering up the back there!!), and sitting right next to Lendl.
- Has Kevin Spacey sampled Murray's wares?
- Not that this is irrefutable evidence of his being gay, but Rafa was picked up at the airport in Mallorca (after his French Open win) by his best friend Juan Monaco. I guess Rafa's girlfriend couldn't get time off from her job.
- Is Ferrer the third wheel in the relationship? I mean, he is hotter than Monaco, it must be said.
- That's common with Rafa, R494. He seems to be spending more time alone with Juan Monaco than his own girlfriend. I have no idea what's going on here. All I'm saying is that it's possible that Rafa is gay. More likely him than Djokovic or Federer imo.
- R495, Ferrer has a long-time girlfriend and it seems real. Monaco is a hottie but he has hair issues.(lol)
- Both Rafa and Djoker probably gay. That's why they are so bitchy with each other, while at the same time so respectful to the straight guy (Federer.)
- I am surprised Rafa's controlling uncle, "girlfriend" or other members of his close-knit family weren't there instead. Surely they wouldn't want potential gay speculation to taint his carefully-crafted image.
- Kevin Spacey is a pushy bitch and needs a better rug.
- Dani V.: are you jealous of Kevin Spacey? Are you scared he will steal Andy from you?
- R501, that saggy-assed bald-headed bitch wants to try, but *I* am the one Andy balls around with (and not just on the practice court).
- It didn't take long for this loving picture of Rafa and the girlfriend to pop up on facebook.
- I think Andy is getting tired of you Dani. U used to be super cute, but you've seemed to have gained weight lately.
I'm wondering if Andy and Tsonga fooled around while on that private jet flight to Rome
- r503 - That was from the publicity tour the day after RG at EuroDisney. I think the GF is a good friend of his and of the family and she fits his very controlled image of a simple island boy. One thing about Team Nadal - they keep things tight.
- [quote]they keep things tight
If you only knew...
- I thought that kid's impressions were great. He did a spot on Rafa, Nole, Murray, Ferrer, and Gasquet. His Federer needs work...he had the mannerisms he just needs to get the voice down.
- Federer just pounded Mischa Zverev 6/0 6/0 in 39 minutes at Halle. The Germans probably thought this was a 1989 WTA event, with Graf playing Carling Bassett or something.
Oh, and as per topic: I don't know if Zverev is gay, but I do want him inside me quite deeply...
- Roger beating up on yet another unranked player? My, what an achievement! ! But I guess the poor dear has to pound someone. Not like he has a hot wife to go home to.
- Not gay unfortunately, [R509], but one of the nicest and coolest players on the tour. And much better looking in person than on court.
- Sorry, that was obviously for [R508].
- Any rumors about Richard Gasquet? I want to shove my big black dick up his hot french ass.
- More's the pity, r510... He looks plenty hot on court - daren't think what he must be like off-court in his civvies :-)
- R513 ahh Big John is hot... I think in an interview he mentioned he's living in a mansion with another male player though. It was brought up in previous threads I believe.
- R490, I just can't imagine Safin as homophobic. He seemed like he was so sexually open, and with looks like that, I'm sure a few lucky gays have sampled that Russian cock of his.
I've also seen him flirt with fans of both genders, and one time I saw him gleefully pose with a small group of transvestite fans at the US Open grounds in NYC.
- Anti gay protester in Roland Garros. Who is his bf?
- I wrote a long post about Rafa and his gf, and the possibility of him being gay.. then PT happened and my post wasn't published.. I lost everything I wrote. Ugh..
Anyway, I was gonna say that I think it's possible that Rafa is gay or at the very least bi. He doesn't seem that close to his own girlfriend.. hell, most of the times they look awkward and uncomfortable together. I've seen some pics of him and her at the beach and in the water, just joking around and kissing and it was the most awkward thing I've seen in my entire life. It was like he was acting. He pinged so hard. Compare that to when he's with Pico, you'll notice a significant difference in the way he's acting. He's a lot more calm and comfortable and they have great chemistry together.. more than Rafa with his own gf.
Yes, it's definitely possible that Rafa is bi/gay/whatever. I guess it could also be possible that Rafa and his gf just fell out of love. It happens with couples who have been together for a long time. In any case they just don't seem to be much in love.. the whole body language in the pic at R503 is tense. It could be that Rafa and xisca (sp?) didn't break up because of Rafa's public image, or because they still love each other, but more like friends, or hell.. maybe they have an open relationship. Maybe he is with her but sleeps around, who knows. I have no idea. All I know is that something isn't right with him and Xisca.
- "I guess it could also be possible that Rafa and his gf just fell out of love. It happens with couples who have been together for a long time."
If this were the case, why keep up the pretense of showing her at his games and accompanying him on beach ventures? Just move on. The girlfriend is attractive, but most tennis stars have stunning girlfriends/wives with whom they seem proud of in public. I am on the fence about Rafa's sexuality, but the girlfriend situation really seems orchestrated by Rafa's team--which makes me wonder more if he is indeed gay.
- Of course Nadal is gay. He wins mostly on clay courts and everyone knows that clay courts are for faggots.
- Harry Styles @Harrys_Styles
@MariaSharapova You're so beautiful, you make me walk into things when I look at you.
- I think Xisca is pretty fucking stunning. If I were Rafa and I were gay, I think I'd go for Grigor or Novak, not Pico.
Who knows, maybe Pico is hung.
- R518, I agree.. the whole girlfriend thing looks pretty fake. In all the photos I've seen of them they look awkward and they lack chemistry. Rafa when he's with Pico on the other hand seems happy and comfortable and they have amazing chemistry too. I definitely think there's something there. Even if he's not with Pico, he's probably gay (or at the very least bi).
That said, they could just have broken up a few years ago and the team decided to keep her since she's good for Rafa's public image.. who knows. The fangirls seem to love their relationship.
R521, Pico may not be to everyone's taste, and he may not be as hot as Grigor or Novak (I find both of them kinda ugly though), but Pico is cute. I don't like him with the beard, but whenever he gets a haircut and shaves, he's pretty darn cute. And yes.. I do suspect he's hung too. You also have to remember the language issue.. they're a good match, they both speak Spanish (in Rafa's case Spanish and Catalan). They seemed pretty darn close on the boat a few years ago. Xisca seemed almost like an accessory, lol. Seemed like Rafa hung out more with him than with her.
- Pico is still in Mallorca with Rafa.
- And I have seen Pico in person and he's handsome. He just needs to get rid of the beard and unkept hair (homeless look). Pico also used to date a model who is a beard suspect. She was about to get married to Diego Forlan (soccer player) who is also supposedly gay.
- It saddens me to provide the link, below, from the Russian Duma that shows that, on June 11 2013, Marit Safin indeed voted in favour of the law censoring any display of homosexual affection (sorry, deviant sexual proclivities, coyly rendered in doublespeak as "the rejection of traditional family values") in front of minors (at 12.01 and 12.03). He also voted in favour of legislation "to counter the insults of religious beliefs and feelings of citizens"—so Pussy Riot will probably rot in jail now :-(
- R526, does this mean I have to give up my dream of sucking Safin's dick? Fuck!!!
- r527, no, I'd encourage you to get into his undies and suck it big time, and maybe add some rimming action and give him the buggering he so desperately wants, BUT do it with a hidden cam recording every last second, and recording every Safin groan of pleasure as you give it to him as hard as he wants. Then just feed it to the Russian press, or better yet put it up online so that the whole world can see him for the repulsive hypocrite he's become.
- ^ the queen and the pretender to the throne
- That's a good one r529.
Valverdu has that irritated look like "Dude, back the fuck off. Can't you go chase some West End chorus boy instead?"
- I bet Llendl throws a mean, relentless, daddy fuck.
- \t Kevin Spacey @KevinSpacey
.@andy_murray Joy to support you. Almost look like 1 of the team from this serious trio caught in Queens pic.twitter.com/Dc5OGQilSr
- Another light shining on how lax tennis is regarding drug testing their athletes.
Side note about the article: Fishing is a sport? and they test for PEDs?
- Serena Sticks Her Foot in Her Mouth.
- Somebody (Selena Roberts?) once referred to Serena as "the million dollar athlete with the five-cent mind".
- Rafa is just too masculine to be gay. What I wouldn't give for a night with that ass...
- It's never wise to share opinions on rape. That was bad judgement on Serena's part if she said those things in front of a reporter.
I don't see how the other two bits constitute putting her foot in her mouth. Really, the hardest part to believe is that she and Venus gossip about Sharapova. I just can't imagine either one caring enough.
- All three are lez R538
- [quote]Just when we thought the younger Williams sister was gaining a sense of maturity, she opens her mouth and speaks without thinking. While sitting down with writer Stephen Rodrick three months ago, a news story on the Steubenville rape case involving two high school football players appeared on the TV, and Williams implied – out loud! – that maybe the 16-year-old female victim deserved what happened to her the night of the crime:
"Do you think it was fair, what they got? They did something stupid, but I don't know. I'm not blaming the girl, but if you're a 16-year-old and you're drunk like that, your parents should teach you—don't take drinks from other people. She's 16, why was she that drunk where she doesn't remember? It could have been much worse. She's lucky. Obviously I don't know, maybe she wasn't a virgin, but she shouldn't have put herself in that position, unless they slipped her something, then that's different." -
- r538 - Oh, I doubt Venus is checking for Sharapova, but I do believe Serena would trash her. Impossible to think that someone with as big an ego as Serena doesn't resent the fact that Sharapova long ago equalled her in fame and surpassed her in earnings, despite Serena's superior athletic accomplishments. And Shazza's business ventures seem to have fared better too. (Remember Serena's fashion line, Aneres? Exactly.)
However, I'm skeptical that the reporter actually overheard correctly what Serena said on the phone. Who the fuck talks like that?
[quote]‘She's still not going to be invited to the cool parties. And hey, if she wants to be with the guy with a black heart, go for it.’”
OK, maybe the line about the parties, but the "black heart?" That sounds like soap opera dialogue.
- The full _Rolling Stone_ piece, written by another fan with a typewriter. "Attention! Attention!"
- Not only is tennis lax in administering drug tests, the drug tests are urine tests which are not as accurate or thorough as blood tests.
- Serena is a 31 year old woman who's travelled the world but she appears to have the comprehension and insight of a mentally challenged prepubescent.
- It's the usual, bulging mess of a discussion over at the DL "Serena on Steubenville" thread. They're up to page three already. As the cunt word has already been bandied about, you just know it's getting interesting. :-)
- I agree (R541) that it sounds like soap opera dialogue. Who really talks like that?
It is true, however, that the mutual hate between the Williams and Sharapova is full on.
- Serena's official "apology" (and I use the inverted commas advisedly...) at link, below.
- Enough with Serena's boring ass. We need recent shirtless pics of European and Latin American players, stat.
- r548, I agree, but only because the SW debacle has its own thread now, AND because I think we all deserve to see this pic of one of my favourite objects of desire (read: JO fantasies :-) )
- I love it, R549. He looks surprised to see how much sexy chest hair he's accrued.
- Rafa and Xisca do look odd, like they aren't even intimate, and he's never sounded passionate about her, ever.
I want to know if Dimitrov and Sharapova are gay or not most..
- [quote]Henry Conway attends the WTA Pre-Wimbledon Party at The Roof Gardens, Kensington High Street, London.
Who is this? He looks like a real dandy.
- R552, apparently he's a socialite and the son of an MP. In other words, a complete waste of space.
- This is the gayest thing I've ever seen..
- [quote]This is the gayest thing I've ever seen.
That's exactly what I said about the pic at r552.
- Martina tweeted the other day "I'm happily married". When did she marry the Russian ho?
- Serena is a Jehovah Witness, so not surprising that she thinks any girl who drinks is a wanton slut just begging to be raped
- Djokovic and Dimitrov go topless for the Wimbledon crowd... Dimitrov wins, but only because Djokovic needs to leave all his chest hair intact.
In other news, Dimitrov is gay.
- Sorry, I didn't mean Wimbledon... It's late. Still, the two are clearly playing it up for the girls and gays.
- Is there anyone who doubts that Grigor is gay? He pings and pongs, but he definitely doesn't poon.
We have three gays just within the current Top 40: Richard Gasquet (#9), Tommy Robredo (#29), and little Grigor (#31). Did I miss anyone?
- Here, at the same Birmingham exhibition where they both stripped their shirts off, Djokovic and Dimitrov imitate Sharapova. Rather than funny, they both come across as nasty, cunty little bitches. Would any real, authentic boyfriend take the piss out of his girlfriend the way Dimitrov does? I can just imagine the nasty comments they must have been making in the locker room while they were setting this up.
I no longer have any doubts Dimitrov is gay - nor Djokovic.
- R560, I really do think you missed Djokovic.
- I don't understand how such a homely mofo keeps scoring with such decent women.
Radek Stepanek is splitting up with Nicole Vaidisova and now dating Petra Kvitova.
- [quote]Is there anyone who doubts that Grigor is gay? He pings and pongs, but he definitely doesn't poon.
Yup very clearly.. more so than anyone there I imagine. Got the gay from just still pics.
- Stepanek is rumored to have a massive ding-dong.
- Well if Grigor starts playing doubles with Radek, we'll know the truth on both fronts.
- I see people all over the internet saying that Stephanek is ugly as fuck and that they don't get it, but I think he's probably quite nice and charming in person, probably respectful of and draws these women in. It's weird.. I don't even think he's that ugly and is obviously fit as an athlete, but I feel like I'm totally missing something because the reaction about Stephanek looks-wise is vehement and has been for years.
- r567 - His face is grotesque, particularly in motion. I actually feel sick looking at him. (Mary!)
I haven't seen him play in a long time, but I did used to love the way he'd wind other players up.
- Radek has horrible teef, a massive overbite, a seriously receding hairline, and a big shnoz.
He is very fit though, and I do suspect he's packing.
- Radek is homely but the reality is that the WTA players are obsessed with the men's tour generally. It's always been that way; the women crave recognition from the men, who are typically uninterested in the women and their tennis. It doesn't matter that he's ugly, he's one of the few to pay attention to these women and they lap it up.
- That's bullshit. The majority of the women don't give a shit about the mens' tour, and a pretty large percentage couldn't care less about men in general despite how hard the CEO and ad campaign managers try to make it seem as if the WTA is a hetero utopia.
- [quote]as if the WTA is a hetero utopia
It was in my day!
- I really like this thread... We'll have to start a new one soon.
I still don't understand why all the gay tennis players have yet to come out. Basketball is definitely a more homophobic sport, and yet we saw Jason Collins come out this year.
- Is there an official Wimbledon thread yet?
Rafa, you in danger gurl!
- Rafa's out of Wimbledon.
Fuck, yes. So over him after dominating at the French.
Suck it, Uncle Toni.
- Although I greatly respect Rafa's tennis, I agree with R575 and I'm very much over his domination of the French. But when you get sick of a player dominating a particular tournament, that really is just a testament to their greatness on the surface (e.g., Sampras winning 7 Wimbledons, Evert winning 7 French Opens, etc.).
Also, before Rafa's match, John McEnroe said he was seriously considering that Nadal may be the best ever because of his winning records against Federer, Djokovic, and Murray. Although those are impressive head-to-head stats, how could McEnroe ignore that Nadal's Grand Slam success is mostly at the French? Nadal has won Wimbledon twice as well as three finals, and Australia and the USO once each, but Federer has several each of Wimbledon, Australia and the USO, plus one French win in five finals appearances.
Moreover, Federer's Grand Slam record is insane. In addition to 17 wins, he has crazy records like 10 straight finals, then after that string was broken, 8 more straight finals. He had 23 straight Grand Slam semi-finals, at least the Quarters in 36 straight Slams. Those stats are just unbelievable, not to mention Fed's record weeks at No. 1. Overall stats clearly lean in Fed's favor right now. It might chance some day, but for now, Fed's record is superior.
- Yeah, yeah, R576.
But Rafa is sexier.
- Quick question:
Do female tennis players get gossip-ed about in this thread?
- Well R577, I don't think either one is very sexy. Fed is rather fug, and Nadal is super greasy. But their tennis abilities are most admirable.
- If you have something, please share R578.
- Too bad for you, R576.
- I just want to ask Pammy if she knows any dirt on Gabriela Sabatini?
- Doesn't Marat Safin, who just voted for the restriction of expression of homosexuality in Russia, have a lesbian sister?
- The most interesting thing about that Marat Safin vote is that Marat himself is bi!
- Wow wow, Marat safin is bi? This surely isnt true, he comes across as the manliest and most masculine of straight guys.
The guy is the last person I would suspect to be even slightly inclined towards, men, he just seems to masculine ina straight guy way
- R576, the thing about Fed is that he compiled most of those jaw dropping stats from 2003-2009. Rafa wasn't an all court force until 2008. Novak, Murray not until 2008ish, maybe 2009.
He was playing no one. Every other legend had other legends to contend with. Mac/Borg/Connors. Edberg/Llendl/Becker/Wilander. Agassi/Sampras.
Fed had Roddick as his main rival, plus a headcase Safin, Juan Carlos, Guga, Hewitt. Good players for sure, but not legends. If Agassi had been in his prime in those years, he'd have 15 Slam, Pete would have 20, Rafa 17, Novak 13.
That said, I still think Fed's the GOAT. It's not his fault he was at his prime when men's tennis was abysmal. But I think it's says a lot more that Rafa has been able to win 12 playing against arguably the greatest foursome ever. Fed got a BIG time head start in compiling Slams. Since 2009, when they all were in their prime at the same time, the Slam count is:
And Rafa's head to head is overwhelmingly dominate over all four. He's certainly in the all-time greatest debate. As far as the "surface" debate, I think it makes it even more of a case for the greatness of Rafa. His best surface only represents one of the Slams. Roger gets the other three! Imagine if the Aussie was still on clay (like it used to be). Rafa could have 18, 19 Slams by now easy.
- Is marat safin really bi???
- Safin is a homophobe
- Supposedly, Safin is 'equal opportunity' when he's sufficiently liquored up... No different than half the frat men in America. I've read that rumor both here and on other tennis sites through the years.
- interested to here more about safin, so much raw animal magentism he is so handsome.
I heard he was a total homophobe, what rumors are threre that he is bi
- Pico just uploaded this.
- wow...HOT legs but pathetic upper bodies.
- Who is that, R593? I'm going to create a new thread, since this one is about to end... Can you post it again there?
- [quote]Imagine if the Aussie was still on clay (like it used to be). Rafa could have 18, 19 Slams by now easy.
Say what? The Aussie was never on clay. It used to be on grass until 1987 and switched to the rubberized hard courts in 1988. The US Open was held on semi-fast Har Tru, aka green clay, for three years in the mid-70s.
If three of the four Slams had been on grass like in Laver's day, players like Sampras woulda been even more dominant.
- John Isner.
Was that pic for the ESPN nudie issue....whatever it's called?
- One good thing about PrimeTime - it finally silenced all the babble on the half dozen or more threads started about Wimbledon and Andy Murray and Bradley Cooper.
- Radwanska looks hot in her pic. Isner? not at all. He does NOT have the body to go nude. He needs to improve his fitness if anything. I'm disappointed espn picked him and not a hotter ATP player.
- Totally disagree re: Isner; he looks like a model in that pic. Too good actually, to believe it would be him; he looks so average when he plays tennis.
- I think Isner has a cute face but his body is average...I give him credit for losing the baby fat he had when he first switched from college to pro tennis, but he needs more muscle.
- I can't decide who has the better legs out of Nadal and Roddick. I worship both and get sick with envy when I look at either pair.
- And Rafa's by comparison...