Weekend Box Office: ‘The Hobbit’ #1 Passes $600M Global, ‘Django’ Clobbers ‘Les Miz’ Which Crosses $100M Worldwide I
1. The Hobbit (MGM/Wwarner Bros) Week 3 [Runs 4,100] PG13 Friday $10.7M, Saturday $11.3M, Weekend $31.5M, Est Cume $221.3M
2. Django Unchained (Sony/Weinstein) Week 1 [Runs 3,010] R Friday $9.6M, Saturday $11.2M, Weekend $31.0M, Est Cume $64.0M
3. Les Misérables (Working Title/Universal) Week 1 [Runs 2,814] PG13 Friday $9.4M, Saturday $9.7M, Weekend $27.4M, Est Cume $66.8M
4. Parental Guidance (Walden/Fox) Week 1 [Runs 3,367] PG Friday $5.0M, Saturday $5.1M, Weekend $14.4M, Est Cume $29.0M
5. Jack Reacher (Skydance/Paramount) Week 2 [Runs 3,352] PG13 Friday $4.5M, Saturday $5.2M, Weekend $14.0M, Est Cume $44.5M
6. This Is 40 (Universal) Week 2 [Runs 2,914] R Friday $4.1M, Saturday $4.5M, Weekend $12.5M, Est Cume $36.4M
7. Lincoln (DreamWorks/Fox/Disney) Week 8 [Runs 1,966] PG13 Friday $2.3M, Saturday $2.6M, Weekend $7.5M, Est Cume $132.0M
8. The Guilt Trip (Skydance/Paramount) Week 2 [Runs 2,431] PG13 Friday $2.0M, Saturday $2.5M, Weekend $7.0M, Est Cume $21.4M
9. Monsters Inc 3D (Pixar/Disney) Week 2 [Runs 2,618] G Friday $2.2M, Saturday $2.2M, Weekend $6.2M, Est Cume $18.3M
10. Rise Of The Guardians (DWA/Par) Week 5 [Runs 3,031] Friday $1.7M, Saturday $1.6M, Weekend $5.0M, Est Cume $90.4M
- The Guilt Trip has made only $21m? Damn, must be hell to pay in the bu. gurlfriend really layed one big messy egg on that one.
Her last movie? One can only hope.
- Lincoln has become a blockbuster. It's so winning Best Picture.
Looks like Tammy's career is done save for Mission: Impossible movies.
- And maybe Mr Apatow can go away for a little while too. Disgusted by preview scenes of Paul Rudd sitting on the toilet with Apatow's wife suspiciously sniffing for odors...
- Third? Third?!? Draw me a hot bath and pass the razor blades!
- But I though Lez Miz was going to "blow" away the competition!
- R3 Majority of Apatow's movies are stupid and disgusting.
Yeah, I also wish he goes away.
- I saw This is 40. It was....alright. It falls into the same problem that a lot of semiautobiographical stories do in that it doesn't know which parts are interesting and which are not to a general audience. And it's close to two and a half hours long. I like Judd Apatow, but his movies don't need to be a fucking Ken Burns documentary. I think it's time for him to stretch outside his comfort zone a little. Or, if he's having writer's block, continue fostering new talent like he has been.
- Les Miserables should be #1, and not The Hobbit. The Hobbit is not that great.
- OMG HOW CANT LEZ MIZ BE NUMBAH ONE OMG OMG ITS LIKE DA BEST THING EVAH
- Well, Les Miserables is a great movie! You obviously didn't see it, moron.
- I hope Barbra is around for years to come--on stage and in the movies. The Guilt Trip will make back its money when you factor in worldwide figures and pay-per-view rentals, etc.
- Les Miz will win win the Oscar for best picture adding another 100 million to its already record breaking box office total.
- I agree! "Les Miserables" will easily beat "Lincoln" for Best Picture.
- Jesus Christ, the [childish epithet posted by a bigoted tool] faggots sure love their ridiculous musicals
- I dreamed a dream Les Miz had legs...
- Wow, Les Miz must have been all advance sales. Word of mouth must be Les Shit.
- Lincoln will continue to perform well. I know at least a dozen people who will see it now that the holiday busyness has past. Word of mouth from people I know who have seen it (friends, co-workers, relatives) is among the best across the board I've ever heard.
- Who the hell wants to see fat ass Seth Rogan in anything?
- Barbra defeated by Bette! Clash of the titans!
- I can't tell if these Les-Miz-is-the-best-movie-ever posts are ironic or not. Please God, tell me they're all joking or Universal employees.
WOM is NOT great on LES MIZ, despite what all the fan girls are screaming. Nor is it as bad as the haters would like. It's overwhelmingly "meh". It'll have better legs than DJANGO, I'd bet, but nowhere near as good as HOBBIT. Look for it to top out at, say, $160-$170 million domestic. Which is fantastic. Just not the phenomenon that the hysterics believe it should be.
- What an awful December for movies! I hope there's a better bunch next year. I have found all of these to be a bitter disappointment.
Les Mis might not be the best movie out there but I left it feeling emotionally satisfied. Compared to the bloated Hobbit which didn't really hit me at all. It was visually stunning in some scenes but never did I feel connected to Bilbo or any of the dwarves or even Gandalf, which is sad as he was my favorite in the LORT trilogy.
- Just came from the hobbit.
Same as rings
3D is awful
Waaaaaay to Long
- I think "The Hobbit"'s secret weapon is Martin Freeman. It's not the sort of showy performance that earns award nominations but "The Hobbit" is after all Bilbo's story and Freeman does a Bilbo with the same funny, earnest, endearing qualities as the character in the book.
- The next episode of "The Hobbit" should be better, that's where we meet the dragon and things get very interesting. Really, PJ was an idiot to stretch this story out to three films, because he ends up stopping the first film at a point where our heroes are still bumbling around like idiots.
I'm a huge fan of everything to do with "LOTR", and I'm peeved that this film wasn't better.
- This has been a great winter for movies:
Lincoln, Zero Dark Thirty, D'jango, Rust and Bones, The Hobbit, Skyfall, Anna Karenina, Amour.
Then you have the flawed, but for certain reasons worthwhile, Silver Linings Playbook and Life of Pi.
Not too shabby.
- I just want Freeman's thick d*ck in me.
- Is this considered a blow for Les Misérables? Looks like it has been taken down by The Hobbit.
- Hobbit only beat Django by .5 million r28. Les Miz is a distant third.
It's fine at the BO, nothing special.
- R29, but this is The Hobbit's THIRD week on top of the box office. You're forgetting that part in your analysis. The fact that it beat several new movies after it had already been out for several weeks makes it significant.
- I will be surprised if Les Mis manages more than 4 Oscar nominations.
- R22, learn how to fucking back reference a lost. You've got nothing to say until you do, stupid.
- Like it or not, word of mouth on Les Mis has been strong. You can't get anymore middle America than Twitter. Just read the real time Twitter posts. Lots of raves coming in at all hours. It's not going to win best picture. Sorry, Lynn. It just ain't. But let's not fabricate a lie that its word of mouth is bad. Les Mis isn't playing in nearly as many theaters as the top 2 movies but it's doing extremely well. Still won't win best picture though, Lynn.
- Just saw Anna Karenina tonight and was incredibly disappointed. What a failure of gimmickry.
- And my link didn't work. Just go to Twitter and search #lesmis and click all tweets. Lots of raves.
- Can those who hate The Hobbit's 3D please explain why, I've heard lots of complaints about it but no specifics why it sucks so much. Thanks.
- This is Seth Rogen's fault. His demographics go to the movies, and no one wants to see his ugly mug. Barbra needs a new movie son.