All Threads by Date
Body of missing girl found in empty Las Vegas lot
Body of missing girl found in empty Las Vegas lot
Associated Press - 1 hr ago
LAS VEGAS (AP) — Authorities said Friday they believe a casino worker killed a 10-year-girl several days before Christmas, then went to the Bellagio resort on the Las Vegas Strip and slashed the face of a co-worker with a pair of razor blades.
The search for Jade Morris ended Friday afternoon when officials confirmed that her body had been found Thursday in an undeveloped housing tract.
She died of multiple stab wounds, the Clark County coroner's office said.
Jade was last seen Dec. 21 with family friend Brenda Stokes Wilson, who picked her up to go Christmas shopping.
Wilson, 50, returned the car she had borrowed for the outing to a friend two hours later. Jade never came back. Investigators later found blood on the driver's door and steering wheel of the 2007 Saab sedan.
Later that night, Wilson was wrestled to the ground with razors in each hand after allegedly slashing the face of a female co-worker at the Bellagio casino.
A judge raised her bail to $60,000 from $600,000 Friday morning after she was identified as the prime suspect in the child's killing.
"It's no secret the defendant is the suspect in the murder of 10-year-old Jade Morris," prosecutor Robert Daskas told Senior Clark County District Court Judge Joseph Bonaventure at the hearing.
Later Friday, Las Vegas police homicide Capt. Chris Jones said investigators were still moving forward.
"As soon as we get all the evidence in that we need, we'll book her on the murder charges," he said.
Wilson has been jailed since the 21st on felony battery with a weapon, burglary and mayhem charges that could get her decades in prison.
Police said she offered no help in the search for the missing girl. Murder and kidnapping charges could get her life in prison without parole or the death penalty.
On Thursday, Las Vegas police responding to a 911 call found a girl's body in unkempt brush near palm trees in a small traffic circle about 10 miles from the downtown Las Vegas outlet mall where Stokes was to have taken the girl shopping.
On Friday evening, Jones called the slaying "unfathomable."
"Even having our jobs, we still can't wrap our heads around this," he said. "A lot of people think that just because of our positions we can understand it, but we can't."
In court Friday morning, Wilson stood flanked by eight police officers as her lawyer, Tony Liker, clutching a Bible and a copy of the charging documents, asked the judge to postpone arraignment until Wednesday to give him time to meet with Wilson.
Wilson, who had been identified by police and prosecutors as Brenda Stokes, told the judge Friday that her full name was Brenda Stokes Wilson.
Jade's father, Philip Morris, was removed from court Wednesday by armed court officers after shouting questions about his daughter's whereabouts to Wilson. He did not attend Friday's hearing.
The two dated for several years, and Jade had a long and trusting relationship with Wilson, according to the girl's grandfather, Philip Tucker.
Tucker said Philip Morris lived in Billings, Mont., and worked at a Flying J truck stop for more than a year. He would stay with Wilson when he visited Las Vegas, Tucker said.
Authorities have not disclosed a motive for the slaying. But Tucker said Wilson appeared to believe that the face-slashing victim had become romantically involved with Philip Morris.
Wilson picked up Jade up for their shopping expedition around 5 p.m. Later, she got a ride with a friend to the Bellagio. She allegedly attacked her co-worker, Joyce Rhone, at around 9:30 p.m.
Rhone, 44, was hospitalized with deep cuts on her face, including one from her ear to the edge of her mouth.
Wilson told investigators that she visited her doctor last week, seeking to be admitted to a hospital "due to feeling like she wanted to hurt someone."
- I hope Gil Grissom and his team can crack this case...
- [quote]The two dated for several years, and Jade had a long and trusting relationship with Wilson
She was 10 years old. How long could thy have been dating?
- Sickening to imagine that poor little girl being stabbed to death by that lunatic.
- [quote]A judge raised her bail to $60,000 from $600,000
- What a beautiful little girl, so sad this evil bitch had to cut her life short.
I was in Vegas during the co-worker stabbing. Didn't know there was a child murder attached to this.
Poor father, he's going to feel so guilty for trusting that lunatic.
- Why raise the bail? See this is what's wrong with America. Bail is supposed to be based solely on flight risk not on the crime itself.
This is such a racist country.
- You don't think a potential life sentence (or even death penalty) might lead the authorities to think she may flee to avoid trial?
$60,000 versus life in prison? Hmm...what to do...?
- [quote]$60,000 versus life in prison? Hmm...what to do...?
And you only have to post 10% of that upfront, so it is actually $6,000.
- Sounds like she has some mental problems. Would be great if the discussion about mental health needs in this country, since all the state hospitals were closed by Reagan, could become a front page national topic.
- If the victim were some lily white Becky, I'm sure this thread would've had 10 pages by now... SMH
- Such a happy little story for DataLounge.
OP, you got an $18 gift subscription?
- [quote]If the victim were some lily white Becky, I'm sure this thread would've had 10 pages by now
Lily White Becky is Shitty Little Ann's best friend.
Collect 'em all!
- [quote]I hope Gil Grissom and his team can crack this case... by: Marg H
Oh honey. Have you seen that show lately? It's now Ted Danson and Elizabeth Shue, and they're horrible. They've ruined it.
- Oh...my...God. BECKAYYYYY!!!!
- That sounds horrifying. Poor girl, poor mutilated co-worker. Now the father has to live with this. The article didn't mention the girl's biological mother at all. I wonder what's up there.
Very poorly written. It took a while to slog through it.
- [quote] officials confirmed that her body had been found Thursday in an undeveloped housing tract.
I didn't think there were any of those left in Vegas
- On the contrary, R16. I think there are a lot of abandoned projects since the real estate market went bust there.
- So true r17, they have yet to find Sharmeika and Shalaylay.
don't forget Georgy and his fat, FAT face.
- What was on her iPod?
- Laurence Fishburne ruined it first...
wonder if he was ever able to straighten up his porno obsessed daughter?
- R15, here are the facts of the case (the story is confusing).
The killer has been engaged to this girl's father for a while. The mother and the killer were friendly. The killer knew the little girl for years and treated her like a daughter, often taking her shopping and spending time with her. On the day the girl disappeared, her killer showed up at the mother's house and said she wanted to take the girl Christmas shopping. This was not out of the ordinary, so the mother let her go. The grandmother even trusted the killer. Before the girl's body was found, both women said they couldn't believe that the killer could harm the little girl because she loved her.
Later that night, the killer walked into the Bellagio, where she worked as a dealer. She had two razors in each hand. She proceeded to slash a coworker in the face. This woman was unrelated to the child, except for the fact that she may have been having, or had, an affair with the girl's father.
The child's mother was not part of this love triangle. Essentially, the killer killed the little girl to get back at the girl's father for having an affair with the other Bellagio dealer.
- She should be put in a cage match with stabbin' nanny.
- R23, I second that.
Still the killer knew the girl's mother and grandmother. You would think if she were angry at the father, she would have to some sympathy for the mother of the little girl.
Well, who am I kidding, she killed a kid. Where are her morals?
In regards to mental health issues, I don't know if this falls into that category.
Yes, the woman is crazy, but was it the kind of crazy that would adversely affect her functioning in life.
She had a plan, and she kept the killing a secret.
If she were truly out of her mind, then she would care to hide her crazy.
To me, she's a sociopath, who can't be helped. She wanted what she wanted, revenge.
- Didn't find the guts to attack the guy directly - apparently no one even knew that she hated him - but she can kill a little girl. What a piece of shit.
- What's the point in attacking others that are in the man's life?
Why not just suffer a heartbreak like the rest of us?
Why must others inflict harm on the innocent, just to show their hurt?
I just don't get it.