All Threads by Date
Frank Perry, the film director
He directed David & Lisa, Play It As It Lays, The Swimmer, and Mommie Dearest.
His half-niece is singer Katy Perry -weird.
Does anyone have stories about him? He died in 1995.
- The Dunnes wanted Sam Peckinpah to direct "Play It As It Lays." He wanted to do it as well.
You have to give them credit--he would have been perfect.
- Peckinpah descended from an old California ranching family. His history reminds me of Maria Wyeth's in PIAIL and Joan Didion's as well.
- Faye is not a fan. "Mommie Dearest" pretty much destroyed his career. Before this, he'd directed The Swimmer and Diary of a Mad Housewife. After: Monsignor and Hello, Again.
- Fuck you Fuck you Fuck you Fuck you Fuck you Fuck you Fuck you Fuck you Fuck you Fuck you!!!
- WTF is a "half-niece"?
- Katy Perry's mom is Frank Perry's half-sister.
- 'The Swimmer' with Burt Lancaster is a great movie.
Great soundtrack too.
- Why'd Peckinpah back out of directing PIAIL? Intriguing to think what he'd've done with it. Perry's film is stilted and precious and banal.
- R8 banal is your frigid critic
- R9, translate, please?
- In PIAIL, Perry's shot of the LA freeway system writhing like a snake is awesome.
Maybe Peckinpah was too wasted to direct. He would have been ideal.
- R10...one translation could be that i want to fuck you.
- Didion's sentences, not to mention her blank white spaces, don't really carry over into film.
- I loved David & Lisa, especially Janet Margolin, such a beautiful and open actress.
- The icky-gay aspect of PLAY IY AS IT LAYS is kind of hard to watch. I mean, it's already in the book, but it's kind of laid bare and especially awful onscreen.
- Guys what does it mean 'the police was way over budget again'?
Don't be humorous please, i need a translation.
Thanks...don't get nasty.
- [quote]'The Swimmer' with Burt Lancaster is a great movie. Great soundtrack too.
Joan Rivers who had a bit part, claims she fucked Lancaster one night.
- Burt Lancaster 55 in all his glory as "The Swimmer" (1968).
DataLounge get your fix of gay gossip, news and pointless bitchery.
Talking to DataLounge servers.
Please wait a moment...