- New here, aren't you dear?
Pointless Bitchery 101
- She wrecked my movie.
- [quote]You either love her full on or despise her with the heat of a thousand suns.
What about those of us who are totally indifferent about her? Besides, its not 1986 anymore.
- I couldn't care less about her, OP. Yes, she's a pop legend. No, she's not a great artist, if she's even an artist at all. Yes, she's financially relevant and a shrewd businesswoman. No, she's not culturally relevant in the way Gaga and others are, though she had the longest "relevancy" run of any pop star ever.
- Madonna has released so many great songs, even though they were written by others.
The Pop world today can't match this quality and it makes them angry, so they complain about Madonna being old. It is really all they have.
Song writing is dead today.
- God, isn't every Madonna thread on DL about her relevancy?
- Pop music is itself of waning relevance in American culture, so it makes sense that Madonna's relevance is waning along with it.
- I'm surprised they aren't about her great voice, r6.
- Madonna is an icon and a legend and a very shrewd marketing and businesswoman, who has sustained a career far longer than most have been capable of.
I don't think she is culturally relevant for people under about 35 years old. To them she is now just a heritage act, desperately trying to appeal to a younger audience who already have their own icons.
- Past tense explains it, if you're talking about relevance. Past tense and the psychotic fixation with her as if she is a holy icon.
- r9 and others,if not relevant today, then please explain how she is in the top 10 for Facebook and Twitter trends?
- There is a difference between relevant and popular on FB or Twitter.
- OP, why do you care so much? Why this obsessive need with trying to prove she's "relevant"?
Give me the Janbot anyday. At least it's fun. The Madonna fanatics on this board are a humorless and tiresome lot.
For fans, it's pretty odd that they never talk about the quality of her singing and acting.
And really, the notion that the majority of current teenagers and twenty somethings today are following anyone over fifty is a little ridiculous.
- Anyone would be foolish to deny her place in pop culture but she's just not an endearing personality and appears to take herself way too seriously.
- R14 could've been my post. She was the queen of pop, but that has long passed.
- Eldergay who loved her in my 20s and early 30s. I associate many good memories in my life to many of her songs--like meeting a very special guy while Open Your Heart was playing.
These days I don't have any interest in her. Her recent music has sucked. She needs to go away for awhile.
- Until some pop starlet comes up with a tune as successful and lasting as Holiday, the current pop acts will be into histories dust bin within a few years as the new crop emerges - again.
It is the song that stands the test of time and the songs being released today, do not stand the test of time for even a year.
- I just don't give a shit about her one way or the other.
- OP is the same big fanbot who pops up in EVERY Madonna thread, with the exact same talking points.
You're fooling nobody, sweety.
MDNA was a big flop compared to Madonna's standards. Who cares what Rihanna's album has sold? Her singles are everywhere, to make up for weak album sales.
Madonna's singles are flops as well, so you can't even compare her with Rhianna or Britney, both of whom get airplay.
MDNA was terrible, reeked of arrogance, and that is reason enough for this former fan to take a big dump on Madonna.
There's your answer, faker-OP.
- r17, she didn't pen 'Holiday', so your argument is somewhat moot, even though it is of course a classic.
Madonna did, however, co-write 'Like a Prayer', 'Express Yourself', 'Vogue' and 'Into the Groove' - four songs that still sound as great today as back then.
- "You either love her full on or despise her with the heat of a thousand suns."
Pop music performance is a young person's game as she proved with her Superbowl act. I enjoyed it, bit there is no denying that, at 53, she ain't got it anymore.
I'm sure her shows are spectacular, however, what show wouldn't be with the dancers, special effects and her hits?
It's this simple: Streisand doesn't have the voice she had but her performances showcase what an enduring talent she is without the gimmickry that Madonna must have.
It's the difference between talent at spectacle and talent because of talent.
- R11, she trends on the Twitter for the same reason she's mentioned on DL all the time. Eldergays love her. And they should! She meant the world to them. I grew up in the time of Nirvana and still read all things about Cobain. His music was so important in molding me, just as Madonna was to many gays of a certain age. Those gays are online, reading Twitter, posting things, feeling nostalgic, etc. Thus, she trends.
But her days of innovation and molding the minds of young people are over. And they should be. She had the best run of any pop star in history.
- It's not an older woman performing in pop that is the issue- I like that. It's becoming a bland pastiche of herself, like she's pimping herself.
- Her time is up, bitches!!!! Move over, grandma!!!
- 'Co-writing'...hmmmm I take that loosely!!!!! Adding a word here and there or a ohhh ahhhh aint co-writing, honey!!!
- [quote]Give me the Janbot anyday. At least it's fun.
The love is mutual!
- I agree, R19. The OP is clearly the poster who shows up in threads based on various other divas (namely Janet Jackson) to spout off about how "superior" Madonna is to them. He is fooling NO ONE.
We've peeped your game, OP
- [quote]Madonna and her relevancy
She lost that a long time ago in the back seat of some Pinto.
- [quote]Pop music is itself of waning relevance in American culture
And there you have the 3,000 lb. gorilla sitting in the middle of the room that no one wants to mention.
- OP = F&F
- [quote]The Pop world today can't match this quality and it makes them angry, so they complain about Madonna being old. It is really all they have.
- OP here. Sorry guys, but I'm not a troll.
I actually think it's the same two guys who keep running to these Madonna threads to trash her.
- [quote]OP here. Sorry guys, but I'm not a troll.
And yet, you created a thread to create controversy, and bitch nastily about it when it does.
That's pretty definitive of being a Datalounge troll in my book.
- Let me get this straight, OP. The first sentence you typed in your original was:
[quote]I'm sure this will start a huge war (as it always does) here at DL,
but then you bitch at r29:
[quote]I actually think it's the same two guys who keep running to these Madonna threads to trash her.Get.A.Life.
You yourself started this thread inviting people to disagree with you! And when they [bold]do[/bold] just that, you angrily tell them to get a life.
[quote]OP here. Sorry guys, but I'm not a troll.
You have just proven you are a [bold]MASSIVE[/bold] troll.
OMG, r35, I wish I could be as fancy as you.
I said I couldn't UNDERSTAND the hate. And still, I'm perplexed since no one on this thread has given a real reason for his personal loathing of this stranger.
- Just one listen to MDNA and you will understand ALL forms of hatred.
- [quote]I said I couldn't UNDERSTAND the hate. And still, I'm perplexed since no one on this thread has given a real reason for his personal loathing of this stranger.
But that's just it. Why do you even care? Does what a bunch of people on DL think about her really mean that much to you? There are a million and one threads about her on here as it is. We don't need another one.
- OP's just trolling. He's revealed his true colors. Give him no more attention--he deserves none.
- I'm not a big Madonna fan by any means, but I like some of her up-tempo songs. "Into the Groove" and "Hung Up," in particular, are fun pop.
- Sometimes you have to be a high-riding, relevant bitch to survive. Sometimes being relevant is all an old pop-star has to hold onto.
- [quote]Eldergay who loved her in my 20s and early 30s. I associate many good memories in my life to many of her songs--like meeting a very special guy while Open Your Heart was playing. These days I don't have any interest in her. Her recent music has sucked. She needs to go away for awhile.
This could have been my own post. However, at 43 I don't see myself as an eldergay.
- But we do, R42.
- Good for you R43!
- What r42 wrote and quoted.
Madonna's early hits (80s & 90s) have been the catalyst to be a long-time fan, of which I include myself.
And lo and behold, she created those early hits (with the asssistance of many talented collaborators) when she was age appropriate to be performing pop music.
An earlier poster wrote that they didn't mind an older person performing pop music. To each his own, but I do.
Of course, double standards exist, especially about gender and aging. I'm a huge Rolling Stones fan. They appeared at Camp Randall in Madison in 1997. I was there. They were superb. Now I wouldn't want to see them because they're too damn old and were so then.
- Madonna's MDNA Tour Becomes Highest-Grossing Tour Of 2012
- The question begs...WHO is considering her relevant? Silly people? She craves better fans than the ones she has in her back pocket all along. She thinks she deserves better and this is why she hooks up with trendy youthful "artists" in an effort to glean a "better" fanbase. Younger people are less likely to see through her PR machinations. She's forever scheming to relaunch a Hollywood career as a viable actress/director. In her mind, the only success she hasn't achieved is credibility in Hollywood. The fact that Gwyneth had this over her was the core reason that relationship abruptly ended. The personal trainer was not a factor in their competition of the egos.She didn't even blip.
- She's relevant in the touring world like Cher and co., but that's about it.
- R47 - wake the fuck up. "Who considering her relevant?"?
Madonna had the TOP SELLING TOUR of 2012.
We don't need to pinpoint any one person or group.
She is relevant. You are not. End of story.
- [quote]Madonna's early hits (80s & 90s) have been the catalyst to be a long-time fan, of which I include myself.
That'd be me too, albeit more 90s, but. I like that she's upped the whole whore thing again, but there's no message behind it, and the music sucks, which it has since 2000. She used to have a point, and piss off people at the same time with her lifestyle. Her dating children is a inline with her old years. Guy Richie and the over-abundance of Kabbalah ruined her.
- [quote]Madonna's MDNA Tour Becomes Highest-Grossing Tour Of 2012
She's probably kissing the ground over that one since that's what she signed up for. However, her current tour did worse than the last one. I don't see her tours as exciting anymore. She does one right after the other, and this current tour looks like a mess. The costumes are cheap-looking as hell. I mean, there's no doubt she's behind her image now, and that's where the problem lies. she must have run out of people to rip-off. I liked her with the Marilyn throwback in her ridiculous music video, not to mention horrible song, earlier this year.
Am I the only one who is happy that she got the plastic surgery? She can look ridiculous when in the wrong lighting, but if you look at her from the late 90s through much of the 00s, she looked like she was dying. The fat in her face was completely gone, and not just due to the usual age thing. She looked like a skeleton. If you look at a recent photo of her sister, that will show you what she would look like today. Her sister is not as thin as she is, and she also came to be with that sickly face, no fat look too.
- To me top selling tour of the year equals relevance.
- i dont care about relevancy,but i must say mdna tour was horrific-the setlist was just bad,the dancemoves rehashed,her hair-the worst she ever had,her attitude(save money come see me) was the reason i didnt attend-the tour grossed only HALF of sticky and sweet tour which was fantastic (!),hard candy was weak,but it was complimentary for the tour.
mdna album-phoned in,like she said-the stipid phags will eat up anything,so just release this crap.
she knew it sucks.attitude she had was gross.
fuck her.create a good album bitch and work on the tour,not rehash shit while having a crows nest as hair.we are not buying shitty products.and none of your black magic rituals on stage will replace a decent dance/lyrical album you lazy ungrateful cunt.
now she knows after the tour underperformed.
i will see the next tour only if it is decent(confess/sticky or better level) and the album has at least one nice song+accentuates the tour.until then-fuck no.
- Yes, agree. Not my issue with her tour statistics. Who is buying those tickets? Come on, wouldn't you lose a little respect for someone if they bought tickets to her show? Don't come down on me for setting my personal bar higher, queenie.
- R52 of course she outsells those hicks and hacks-they are a tier below her level,but the tour was shit for her level tour and the numbers dont lie-it did worse than sticky.
she did well for a britney-live,not her usual quality.
the tour was just bad.album-forgettable.all songs sounded the same.voice-computerised
- [quote]To me top selling tour of the year equals relevance.
To me, not.
- I agree that every single song on FlopDNA sounded the same. And not in a good way.
Her vocals were thin and bitchy, the music boring, her producers completely played out. William Orbit...I mean, why??
Serves her right that she had no hits off of it.
As for the tour, Sticky & Sweet already looked cheap and re-hasehd, but she paid even less attention to this new tour. Yawn-inducing set list, and dull production values.
She's really fallen apart.
Drop your silly film ambitions, bitch, and do what you were good at back in the day: put together a good album, interesting singles and videos, and come up with a fun tour.
If not, you can join Janet in has-been land.
- Couldn't agree more r56. She's a corporation chasing the next statistical achievement. I'm guessing she's desperate to join the billionare's club. At least she used to be fun and interesting in the 80's and 90's and it was reflected in a lot of her music.
She comes accross as a greedy old CEO milking it for all its worth now.
- A lot of people are jealous of her success, there really has never been anybody in music history like her at the top for 30 CONSECUTIVE years it really drives haters nuts! And I love it! I can't wait until Forbes comes out with their most powerful celebrities and richest entertainers lists next year haters will have a cardiac arrest when they see Madonna's name at the top. Word is she's due to make more money this year than any musical performer in a calendar year in history.
- Oh stop with the envy card. Are you in junior high to this day? We're happy for her to have enormous wealth. We're merely dissecting her true struggles. Her challenges and true desires...how she needs to tweak her game away from live performances as the stress is exponentially aging on an older person. That's why for all of the anti-aging rituals this one is steeped in, she doesn't really look better than natural, average people her own age. She's spinning her wheels. It's all for naught. I hope she reads here. I'm sure she scans. A heads up to you, Madonna.
- r59, nobody is doubting she'll make a lot of money this year. That doesn't make her recent output any better.
Her album stank, the tour is boring, and she clearly has lost interest in her own material.
Also, you clearly cannot comprehend some critics don't begrudge Madonna her success THEN, and only criticize her RECENT career 'moves' -- because she's arrogantly putting out weak material now, yet still charges top dollar for it.
Madonna in the 80s and 90s: brilliant, and deserving of all her success.
Madonna since 2000: annoying as hell, and undeserving of any success. (Hung Up being the only exception).
- She's just tiresome these days. I do not begrudge her success, but for God's sake how hard is it to make a pop album with decent songs?
MDNA still sucks; worst album of 2012
- r59, that list came out this year, and she's all the way down the list.
- Her voice became thin starting with that tripe album, "Music". No wonder she relied on Cher's vocoder gimmick ever since. How did she lose her voice? It was gorgeous on "Ray of Light" but probably better pre-Evita, when it was deep, husky, and not without its flaws. It sounded sincere. She's in desperation mode.
When she signed to Live Nation and sold her brand, it was all downhill. She won't do music videos now unless there's a sponser. She put that horrible Vodka crap she was shilling in her music video. Opening gyms? Come on now! She's wearing her shoe line on tour to promote. That manager she has is just the worst. How much money does the woman need? I think it feeds her ego. That, and having hundreds of people screaming for you night after night, must fuel the need to feel relevant. That's probably why she's willing to tour non-stop. It's adulation. In the real world, nobody cares. She gave tickets away with this tour, and had to cancel venues because there wasn't enough demand. She skipped Australia because they wouldn't have been able to fill the venue. That info leaked. She made some ridiculous excuse that she was going to be busy next year. lmao
She's already making another movie. Who the fuck is financing that shit?
If she would allow it, I'd actually like to see a documentary about her now, seeing her fucking with these kids. That's interesting. Her last self-documentary was just preposterous. I like her daughter who makes fun of her to her face, and is now smoking, and probably doing drugs. She'll be getting abortions like mama in no time. Her son is a prick, and he's only 12. Guy Ritchie is out of the picture. Her brother, who wrote that horrible book about her, is back in the picture. She's toned down the Kabbalah too. She's getting naked on stage. If she could just get the music right, she could finally get her mojo back.
- R63 the Forbes list that came out was from June 2011- June 2012, she made 30 million just from her fashion line and album release. When the list from June 2012- June 2013 is released by Forbes next year her income will be around a STAGGERING $200 million, mostly because of her tour which just happened to kick off in June, when the Forbes year begins.
- R64 sorry not true about Australia at all, she would have set records if she performed there since she hasn't been there in 20 years and she's huge there, actually she's huge everywhere. In fact if you look up the phrase global music icom Madonna l's picture should come up. And her tour made all that money with 72 dates all of which were sellouts according to Billboard, the remainder 16 dates including her record breaking Sout American leg, will count towards next years grosses according to Billboard. And for the record Madonna cancelled PLANS to tour Australia , places were never booked and tickets never went on sale, by the way Madonna has more #1 albums and #1 singles in Australia than any woman, including her MDNA album which debuted at #1 this year.
- r65 and r66, trolly-troll needs to accept the album was REVILED by everybody. Only a small contingent of hardcore fans purchased it.
It was so bad it didn't even receive any Grammy nominations. Hello? Confessions on a Dance Floor even WON a Grammy.
That tells you all you need to know about 'critical reception' of MDNA.
The initial reviews praising the album were part of the machinery, to hype her, because many people want her to have a big comeback. That includes many critics.
Once it was clear the public weren't interested in her album, the critics turned their back on it too: it made ZERO end-of-the-year lists, ANYWHERE, and the Grammys, as mentioned before, couldn't be bothered either.
The album was a big flop: commercially (to Madonna's standards), and most certainly critically.
The album is DIRE.
Deal with it, fanbot.
- This being said, r64 is reaching. Hard.
Her son is not a 'prick' - he seems quite nice and normal, actually. (Cf. him and Madonna on Ellen).
Her daughter doesn't booze it up, and seems well-adjusted as well.
Nobody cares about the brother, and it's entirely possible that Madonna herself was behind the book he published. Let that one marinate for a while, r64.
Finally, Madonna getting naked on stage may be off-putting to the conservative pearl-clutchers like r64. But that' their problem.
This is Madonna we're talking about. She always took off her clothes, she always was in your face, and her provocative lifestyle was always part and parcel of her persona. Why should it be different now?
I don't mind it. In fact, I commend her for daring to be sexual at an advanced age, even the sluttiness of it.
What I do mind is her increasing arrogance re her music, her priorities, and her bad management.
- R68 fuck you bitch. Post for something else male bimbo
- R67 but once again she has the years top grossing tour and the 1.7 million sales of MDNA are still higher than any other over 50 artist who released an album this year. Higher than Paul McCartney, Van Halen, Springsteen, Bob Dylan,Striesand and Lionel Ritchie(worldwide anyway). These are FACTS, you know what facts are right?
- R70 fuck you hairless cock
- [quote][R64] sorry not true about Australia at all
It is true, which is why she's hasn't tour Australia since the 1990s.
[quote][R63] the Forbes list that came out was from June 2011- June 2012, she made 30 million just from her fashion line and album release. When the list from June 2012- June 2013 is released by Forbes next year her income will be around a STAGGERING $200 million, mostly because of her tour which just happened to kick off in June, when the Forbes year begins.
Honey, we're talking about her # on the list. You think 30 million is a lot?
- r70, it's also a fact that by Madonna's standards, her sales for Mdna have been DISMAL.
Springsteen ceased being a sales juggernaut in the early 1990s. He also doesn't call himself "King of Pop".
Madonna, the so-called reigning "Queen of Pop", has flopped HARD with this album.
The album was intended to sell - it didn't. The tour was supposed to match the financial success of Sticky & Sweet - it failed to do that.
Those are FACTS. You know what facts are, right?
- R72 yet Madonna is the most successful female artist in the history of their charts! Her Girlie Show. Was the only time she toured there and it broke box office records in 1993, it was also a huge media event with Madonna on the cover of every magazine and newspaper there, it was like royalty had visited Australia. Don't worry when Madonna finally decides to tour Australia again it will break records and the haters will have to come up with something else against her to hate on. The Forbes yearly list goes from June to June Madonna made $30 milion off the last for June 11- June 12, when the June 12-13 list is released NEXT YEAR featuring all her earnings from the years #1 tour her income will be staggering. She's already the richest female artist of all time, as well as the biggest selling album and highest grossing touring (male or female) solo artist of all time.
- Hmmm, where should I start? How about R67/68/73 etc.
You might not have liked MDNA, and perhaps your other friend didn't either. But looky at what I found here...
Once Billboard.com readers weighed in on their favorite artists, songs and albums of the year, Madonna emerged as the 2012 MVP and came out on top in four other categories.
Madonna's achievements included earning the most votes for favorite Billboard 200 No. 1 album with her chart-topping "MDNA"; winning the Best Tour crown for her MDNA trek, which grossed more money than any other run this year, according to Billboard Boxscore; nabbing favorite TV performance for her Super Bowl halftime show extravaganza last February; and even winning most memorable feud for her war of words with Lady Gaga. For that incredible year, Madonna was handed the MVP crown from last year's winner, Britney Spears; in doing so, she topped Frank Ocean, Taylor Swift and Nicki Minaj, who came in second, third and fourth in voting, respectively.
So, Janbot. Hate the album all you want. Madonna doesn't care. She's got millions of fans around the world. She doesn't need you, or your approval. Nor do we.
Thanks for playing doll. Buh bye.
- Has Janet ever had a tour gross over $100 million? I didn't think so! Madonna has 4 of them and after her record breaking South American leg of the tour is done MDNA will have grossed around $300 million total.
- In days of yore a dissenting opinion might make it to a letter written to an editor of a newspaper or magazine. Today, everyone gets to comment. Now you have the chance to read what wise people will occasionally drop online. Wise, educated people who see Madonna as the junior high school mentality persona who isn't working on archeology digs or doing something else truly important. Madonna has no place in the intellectual's world. Not even the Hollywood artist's world where she so desperately wishes to rate. She's exposed daily on comment boards by better people who can predict her every move. Don't be a Madonna stan unless you welcome people thinking you're uneducated, silly and inconsequential. Sorry to tell you the truth and how Madonna will go down in history.
- Why are people over her?
1) Her face is now a lie.
2) Her musicality was only impressive in a pre-American Idol era - now we see normal people with REAL vocal talent struggling to make it.
3) 2/3 of her fame is the result of being a cheap provocateur, which is, of course, easy behavior for a...
4) sociopath. Which is what Madonna clearly is.
5) the vibe of her last record and tour were so angry/victimy it was off-putting. (I'm sure being married to Madonna was SUCH a joy for Guy Ritchie)
6) the vocals of her last record were tiny and half-assed
- What a bunch of losers on this thread: you haters are having a meltdown.
Hons, not only was it the highest grossing, but it was the MOST ATTENDED so, sorry, but I don't think only 2 million "eldergays" went to the concert.
Find something new to complain about.
She also was the ONLY entertainer to be in the top 10 for Facebook and Twitter trends.
- She has done so many thing that I've both loved and hated. People will continue to go to her concerts until she dies but she can no longer set (or steal as some would say) trends as she is getting just too old.
She must even realize this by now! She's on her way to becoming the Mae West of pop music.
- R77 Madonna's place in history is being the most successful female artist of all time, a huge cultural icon and a sexual revolutionary who changed people's minds about women's and gay rights, and did shocking and controversial things to CHANGE peoples point of view and to eradicate sexism, homophobia and now ageism. TIME magazine didn't name her one of the 25 most important and powerful women of the last century for nothing. And for the record the fact that so many people arw taking the time to comment in this thread means that she is VERY relevant. THREAD CLOSED.
- R77, yes, but she's still personally a woman stunted at a high school mentality who can't get along with anyone. It's her personality that is tragic not her balls to go out and exploit the concepts ripped from others. I understand, from an uneducated, sheltered person's view of the world she is all that. You didn't seek higher education so it is likely you can't discern the difference between a real feminist and an uneducated media whore. Sucks to be you.
- Eh. I used to admire Madonna. Now I sort of see her, along with Demi Moore, as an example of how not to face your 50s.
It was fascinating, though, the way those "Madonna single fail" and "Madonna album fail" threads here on Datalounge kept maxing out at 600 posts each. Especially since I started them!
- How did you face your 50's [R84]?
- Good one but, no, I'm 44. Typical age of a Madonna fan from back when she was a young thing rolling on the floor in a wedding dress and sensually blow-drying her armpits in a women's restroom.
- I love how so many dopes think that because THEY don't care for Madonna and her talents, that NOBODY likes Madonna and her talents.
The proof is in the pudding.
Seriously....it's like arguing with a Republican.
Facts don't lie.
It's simple arithmetic.
Madonna is relevant.
You are not.
- It's hilarious how the fanbots are screaming what a raging success MDNA has been, and that her new material is universally loved --
yet they can't explain to us why her singles are flopping HARD, not just in the US, but even in the UK, hitherto Madonna's most loyal market.
Why are her singles big flops, if her new stuff is so beloved, I wonder?
No, sweeties, it's not because mean radio stations won't play her new music.
THE GENERAL PUBLIC has refused to download her new singles! There was zero interest in her songs. None!
Her management didn't even dare release a fourth single off that album - because there's been no demand, and because all previous singles have FLOPPED.
THAT is the true barometer for how well-liked a Madonna album truly is: she's always released 4-5 singles off each successful album.
Hard Candy and MDNA only had... three.
Because nobody cared about them.
- r87, you are doing the same mistake, though.
You cannot differentiate between public love of CLASSIC Madonna (hence her successful Superbowl performance), and public lack of interest in her NEW stuff.
Yes she is relevant - as a nostalgia act.
People go to her show to hear Vogue and Dress You Up. Not because of Girl Gone Wild or Miles Away, which were big flops.
Be more discerning yourself, before you cast stones.
- R89 Madonna BARELY performs any of her old stuff, maybe 6 songs at most. Radio will not play older artists it's very ageist. Name me an artist in their 50's who released hit after hit on the pop charts that radio played. You can't because no artist in their 50's has ever scored MULTIPLE top 10 hits off of 1 album hell this year Madonna was the first performer this MILLENNIUM in their 50's to score a top 10 hit on the Hot 100 because RADIO DOES NOT PLAY OLDER ARTISTS!!!!""
- Bullshit, r90.
Radio would play her new stuff if it were good. But it's not.
People were hugely disappointed in the new album, and that is why BBC RADIO ONE, to name just one example, has refused to play it.
Get your head out of your ass.
People go to her shows because of OLD HITS, even if she only plays six of them. NOBODY is interested in hearing Give Me All Your Love.
Deal with the FACTS.
- I'm curious as to how this tour managed to do so well, given that there were tons of tickets that were still on sale as she was touring the states. Yet every single date in the U.S. managed to completely sell out?
Also, MDNA went gold? It had the second highest drop of any album in history!
- R92 it had the highest second week drop in the 20 year history for a #1 debut on the Billboard soundscan system which they started using in 1991, that's hardly of all time. It debuted at #1 on Itunes in a record breaking 50 countries including the US, yet the media hardly reported that! Madonna truly is the definition of a "global star" as she sells 70% of her albums outside the US. Both the MDNA album and Give Me all Your Love single were certified gold by the RIAA earlier this year.
- Madonna is now like McDonalds - they might sell the most burgers - but no one takes them seriously as a 'restaurant' or as a food product for that matter.
Madonna is a metaphor for the corporate machine - a process. Release an album (with the least cost) and flog a tour (where the money is), sell off your name in the meantime and there you have it folks. She's doing her job and nothing more. There's nothing artistic about her anymore.
- I see R88/89/91 still can't grasp human language or coherent thought.
I would argue with the dumb-ass more...but what is the point?
It's like speaking Chinese to a deaf person.
- Some of you need to admit that you're simply reiterating what Madonna's management has put out there.
- She's an old lady now. Pop music is for the young.
R89 gets it right.
- [quote]She has the biggest selling album...(male or female)
THE biggest selling album by a solo artist...EVAH
- What gets me about all the Queen of Pop mess is that not only is it subjective, but there IS no Queen of Pop. The only reason there was a King of Pop was because Michael Jackson gave himself that title. There was never meant to be a Queen.
- R99 let's review here Madonna is a POP artist, she's also the biggest selling female artist of all time (all genres), the most globally famous and culturally relevant female artist in music history and highest grossing solo touring artist (sorry Michael) of all time. And contrary to popular belief on the DL she has received her fair share of critical acclaim. Like a Prayer and Ray of Light are generally regarded as 2 of the greatest albums of all time.
Also her influence on the new generation of pop girls is undeniable, they all want her career and look up to her as the ultimate benchmark. For the record, I remember watching Entertainment Tonight way back in 1990 as a small child, they were doing a story on the Blond Ambition tour and they referred to her as the "Queen of Pop". If Madonna's not the Queen of Pop than who is l, with all her success she might as well be the Queen of Music.
- LOL R100, while it's quite obvious that you are THE fangurl of fangurls, I'd also say that you are also very Madonnablind. I don't begrudge your undying love of this woman, but to say that she is still the most "culturately relevant" female artist in music history is simply ludicrous. There were periods in her career where I would go along with that statement, but today is certainly not one of them. I don't care how many stadiums she half-fills with middle-aged queens who went gaga (pun intended) over her in the '80s--Madonna is simply a punch line nowadays. Just yesterday they were making fun of her on TMZ, she can barely shift CDs, and she's pretty much known now as a woman who is just too damned old to act the way she does. And, as for LAP and ROL being considered two of the best albums of all time? LMAO! Two highly regarded pop albums, yes, but of ALL TIME?? Put down the Madonna Koolaid, hon. Janet's Velvet Rope and RN 1814 were just as critically lauded, and the latter is more relevant these days than either of those two Madonna albums, with its themes of social injustice and senseless violence ALONE.
And speaking of Janet Jackson, Madonna's influence on the new generation of pop girls is no more obvious than Janet's herself. You cannot name or think of one dance-pop diva from the 80s, 90s or today that hasn't in some way, shape or form been influenced by Janet's visual style, choreography, videos, album covers, etc.
And if you were the one who foolishly claimed earlier in the thread that Madonna has the highest-selling album of all time, well, let's just say I'm glad that you're not disputing that horrible falsehood.
- Oh God...the Janbot is back.
Seriously. To even put Janet Jackson on the same playing field of Madonna is ludicrous.
Hell, even if we use DL standards, I defy you to find more than 3 Janet Jackson threads, yet there are probably more than 20 for Madge.
Get over your bad self there Tito or Jermaine, or whoever the hell you are.
Your beloved Janet hasn't done anything worthwhile in over a decade. Come on over to Madonna's side. You post enough about her...cmon, you know you secretly love her music.
- R101 I never said Madonna had the biggest selling album of all time, I said she was the highest grossing solo touring artist of all time, with tour sales topping out at 1.3 BILLION. Amd that is WITHOUT inflation.
Didn't Janet's last tour gross something like 15 million, hell she even called it a number 1's tour and it still flopped! And for the record the Velvet Rope was obviously influenced by Erotica, even MTV said it's like Erotica just 5 years later!
And MTV, Spin, Rolling Stone, Q, VHL etc. Have all done lists where the put LAP and ROL among the grateast albums ever, Music also gets mentioned a lot. Rolling Stone named that album the 3rd best of 2000.
You say Madonna can barely move albums, 1.7 million in sales is not bad at all for an over 50 artist in this climate. How many albums did Striesand sell with her duets cash in? You wanna talk about a flop. It doesn't take away from the fact that Striesand like Madonna is a legend even if their latest releases aren't record breakers.
- [quote]To even put Janet Jackson on the same playing field of Madonna is ludicrous.
Bitch, please. Don't act as if Janet didn't drag Madonna through the late 80s/early to mid 90s--the period where EW was writing pieces about what happened to Madonna's career? There's a reason that Janet was the highest paid female entertainer during that period, with her record-breaking Virgin record deals. There's a reason she's still the most decorated Billboard awards artist, and the only artist to ever be nominated in the Dance/Pop/Rock/R&B and Rap categories at the Grammys--male or female. There's a reason her RN album was the biggest selling album of 1990, and that the subsequent RN tour remains the biggest debut tour by any artist.
[quote]Hell, even if we use DL standards, I defy you to find more than 3 Janet Jackson threads, yet there are probably more than 20 for Madge.
Oh, really? Honey, you made this too easy...
DL Janet threads:
JANET JACKSON I'M RICH BITCH
JANET JACKSON'S "THE VELVET ROPE" (1997)
JANET JACKSON FUNNY MOMENTS
JANET JACKSON - FORBES 20 RICHEST WOMEN...
JANET JACKSON AMFAR PSA FOR WORLD AIDS DAY
JANET JACKSON TURNS MUSLIM
JANET JACKSON HOLDING A BABY
JANET JACKSON'S BILLIONAIRE BEAU IS HOT!
JANET JACKSON "TWENTY FOREPLAY"
RUMOR: JANET JACKSON MARRYING HER BILLIONAIRE BOYFRIEND
There are many more, but you get the gist. And why is it that someone who mentions Janet Jackson considered a "Janbot" to some of you people? I was simply responding in kind to some of R100's ludicrous statements.
R102, you can now have a seat.
- R104 Madonna has sold more than THREE times the albums Janet has. Janet's entire career sales in Europe is a paltry 12 million. Madonna's career sales on Europe is 80 million, she's the third biggest selling artist in history in Europe, she's sold even more albums than Michael over there. Madonna has also outsold Janet is Canada, Australia, South America, Japan, the US well basically everywhere! Just the other day CNN did a story on the MDNA tour being the highest grossing of the year(something Janet has never achieved and she ain't gonna, Madonna has done it 4 times) and they said that Madonna is arguably the most important female artist of all time.
- [quote]Didn't Janet's last tour gross something like 15 million, hell she even called it a number 1's tour and it still flopped!
Not exactly. It was an Up Close and Personal Tour that went all over the globe, and there were multiple dates at some stops. So there's that.
Janet--often imitated, never duplicated.
- My post was half in jest. The fact that you researched your counterpoint that quickly and completely proves what a nutcase you are.
Good night. Put a fork in her. She's done.
- R105, Janet has never even had her biggest selling albums re-certified. Madonna has, which is likely how her people come up with those ridiculous figures. Not only that, but, at her peak, she--unlike Madonna--didn't flood the scene with album after album after album. There were always long gaps in between her output, which is another reason her numbers, on the outset, aren't as big as Madonna's, who released a new album every other year back in the day. Janet never rushed out the material just for profit's sake. When she was ready to drop a new album, she did just that, and it was always--to paraphrase the woman herself--"worth the wait."
Janet not having her big selling CDs re-certified just shows you what the fame thing means to her. It's just no big deal. It's something she's been surrounded by since she was a little girl. Sure, she could have "Control" thru "All For You" recertified today or tomorrow, but it's just no big deal to her. Madonna, on the other hand, has always craved fame and stardom, and as such, would (and will) do anything to get it, which is a bit sad if not admirable in some small way.
And, despite what you think, Janet Jackson has fans all the way from Canada and the US to the UK, Australia, Spain, Japan and Africa. Hell, the RN Tour sill holds the record for fastest sellout of the Tokyo Dome.
- LOL R107, I love you too.
- R104 RN may have been the biggest selling album of 1990 IN THE US, but it sure in the hell wasn't worldwide, both MC Hammer and Vanilla Ice's albums outsodld it WORLWIDE which is what's most important, especially if you're supposed to be a GLOBAL superstar, ehich janet (if you look at her stats) is not!
Hell Like a Prayer sold more than Rhythm Nation WW. Don't even make me bring up the Immaculate Collection, the biggest selling greatest hits album by a solo artist in history and the WORLD'S top selling album of 1991. Or True Blue the WORLD'S top selling album of 1986 and for a few years the biggest selling album by a female artist of all time eclipsing her previous album Like a Virgin which held that title.l
As for Janet's 1991 contract with Virgin, it was impressive until Madonna signed an eben bigger contract with Warner's in 1992, which at the time was the biggest contract in music history.
In 2007 Madonna also signed an unprecedented $120 million contract with Live Nation, after the massive success of her Confessions on a Dancefloor album (over 11million sold) and the Confessions tour (top grossing tour of 2006).
By the way Forbes, Guinness Book, Billboard and the Wall Street Journal all confirm that Madonna is the richest female artist of all time, with her liquid assests estimated to be at $650illion and her other assets (homes, cars,stock, investments) said to be worth a total of 1.1 Billion.
- R108 I agree Janet is undercertified but so is Madonna. There are albums that are strong catalogue sellers like Like a Prayer that haven't been certified in 20 YEARS. In 2008 Billboard reported that COADF had sold 1.8 million in the US, more than enough for a double platinum cert, yet almost 5 years later it's still certified platinum. Warners is notorious for not recertifying their artists back catalogue.
As for TMZ making fun of Madonna, hell they make fum of everyone, did you hear how they talked about Michael Jackson before he died?
- [quote]you mad?
LOL hardly, honey. But thanks for your concern.
And don't even get me started on that whole record deal thing. Madonna's deal was not bigger than Janet's. Sorry. Janet's second Virgin deal in the 90s was upwards of $80 mill, which made her--for the second time in that decade--THE highest paid female singer in history.
And that's nice, what with your little MC Hammer and Vanilla Ice factoids, but are either of them as relevant in today's world as RN is? No? I didn't think so.
[quote]especially if you're supposed to be a GLOBAL superstar, which Janet (if you look at her stats) is not!
Really? Then why is her RN tour still the record holder for fastest sellout of the Tokyo Dome? Surely Grand Dame Madonna in all her global domination could have easily beat such a record as this by now, right?
Why is it that Janet has fan clubs in Russia? A rabid German, Asian and Netherlands fanbase? Why is it that she does exceptionally well in Africa? Why is it that she began her wildly successful (and critically lauded) Velvet Rope tour overseas as opposed to in the States--an unprecedented move for her at the time? Why is it that she's toured Down Under, and with this latest UCAP tour, Australia was begging her to come play there, as well as South America? Why is it that with the same tour, she played the YAS Arena in Abu Dhabi last year?
Take a look at the following video from 1:48-2:07 to see the reaction of some of her German fans...
- R112 yet Madonna has outsold her there and every other country! And Madonna's 1992 contact with Warner's WAS the largest in music history, just Google it yourself.
- [quote]And Madonna's 1992 contact with Warner's WAS the largest in music history, just Google it yourself.
Thanks, but I don't have to...
[italic]In 1996. Janet Jackson renewed her recording contract with Virgin Records for a then-unparalleled $80 million dollars. The four-album record deal marked the second time Jackson had broken the industry's record for an unmatched recording contract; the first in 1991 when she signed her original contract with the label for an estimated $32–50 million.
Jackson's renewed deal with Virgin surpassed the recording industry's unprecedented $60 million dollar recording contracts earned by her brother, Michael Jackson, and Madonna. Ian Katz of The Guardian remarked that she had "signed the most lucrative recording contract in history, unceremoniously displacing her troubled sibling as the self-styled monarch of pop."[/italic]
Janet playing YAS Arena in 2011
- r114, everyone makes a bad investment now and then...
- I never post on Madonna threads, but I read the stuff there.
But to compare little Janet Jackson to Madonna's 3 decade career is simply ludicrous.
Janet Jackson was the Phoebe Snow or Melissa Manchester of her time. She had a couple of great hits, great buzz and then gradually faded away until she joined the, "Whatever happened to..." club.
Sorry. C'est la verite!
- [quote]Janet Jackson was the Phoebe Snow or Melissa Manchester of her time. She had a couple of great hits, great buzz and then gradually faded away until she joined the, "Whatever happened to..." club.
Wow. Talk about an ignorant statement. A couple of great hits? Janet has ten Hot 100 #1s. "That's The Way Love Goes" was #1 longer than any hit MJ eveer put out. "Together Again" was a bondfide worldwide smash. "All For You" was the longest-running #1 hit of 2001, and until Gaga's "Born This Way" broke the record a decade later, it remained the song with the most amount of spins at radio in a single week. Janet has more R&B #1s than any other female, save Aretha Franklin. For a period of 15 years, she had nothing but hit after hit. Her songs are still remade and sampled abundantly today. Several of her albums set industry benchmarks:
CONTROL was the first album by a female artist to contain 6 top 40 Hot 100 hits, and is considered to be the first album to bridge the gap between R&B and rap. Copycat divas Vanessa Williams, Karyn White, Pebbles, Nia Peeples and Paula Abdul followed in the wake of Control's success.
RN 1814 remains the only album in history to garner 7 top 5 Hot 100 hits, #1s in 3 separate calendar years, and was the biggest selling album of 1990 in the US. It also won Janet an unprecedented amount of Billboard awards, which helped make her the most decorated artist with said awards--male or female. It's also an album that is highly relevant in today's world.
1993's janet. was the first artist by a female to debut at #1 during the SoundScan era, and was the biggest first-week seller by a female at the time. It became one of only five albums in the history of the Billboard 200—along with Whitney Houston's Whitney (1987), Norah Jones's Feels Like Home (2004), Taylor Swift's Fearless (2008), and Susan Boyle's I Dreamed a Dream (2009)—to debut at number one and remain at the top of the chart for a minimum of six consecutive weeks.
It took Madonna until this year just to match Janet's achievement of being the only female artist with five consecutive #1 albums. She didn't "gradually" do anything. The SuperBowl made radio and MTV pussy out of playing her music, and she was blacklisted, but that didn't stop her from still being the apparent inspiration to all of the pop princesses that came after her. It didn't stop her from having a #1 NY Times Bestseller a couple of years ago. It didn't keep her from touring, making films, and signing a Lionsgate production deal in 2010.
The only "whatever happened to" club that Janet belongs to is the one in your head.
- Yeah, and now she's just another fat black woman in Las Vegas wondering what happened to her career.
- Janbot is the eighth wonder of the world. Madonna's face is the ninth.
- Does anyone remember when Madonna fell off a horse? She broke all her bones. They had to use a shovel to pick her up.
- I remember people were saying the horse incident was cover for her getting some face work done. The best/worst I read was it was cover for Guy beating her up pretty bad. The only thing that doesn't make me completely dismiss the latter is that their marriage Madonna was photographed many times being bruised in different places.
- R117 but Madonna has 8 #1 albums in the US, while Janet has 6. Madonna has 12 #1 singles on the Hot 100, whilr Janet has 10. Don't make me bring international stats up it's too embarrassing for Janet.
Like the fact that Madonna has 22 #1 singles on the United World Chart more than anybody worldwide in history, I think Janet has 4.
Or the fact that her 2005 single Hung Up set a Guinness Book record for going to #1 in more countries (43) than any song in HISTORY. While her 2005 album Confessions on a Dancefloor also set a Guinness Book record for the album going to #1 in the most countries (41) in history. Who else but Madonna can accomplish that at 47 years old l?
- r122, you're just feeding the Janbot.
Janbot Janbot whomever you are, remember this: Janet Jackson's GREATEST claim to fame was playing a girl whose mother burned her back with an iron.
Nothing more than that.
Oh, and her floppy tit being exposed.
Other than that? Nada. She's now whoring herself out to an Arab with $$.
- I wonder what madbot and janbot look like.
- I was a fan of Madonna's in the 80's and the 90's and was a casual fan of Janet in the 90's - but no one I know under 40 knows anything about Janet's musical output. Love her or hate her, Madonna has been a shrewd business woman and a masterful marketing machine that has seen her maintain her presence in the industry for over three decades - even with her crappy musical output of late. Her back catalogue of good hits has stood the test of time and kept her in the pop culture consciousness. Janet just isn't in the same league when it comes to her global presence - she just isn't. Janet isnt signing big deals anymore, so don't expect a 120M contract anytime soon. She has zero appeal in todays market beyond a small niche audience. You are delusional if you think otherwise and completly out of step with reality. Go and find another thread and another artist to 'Janbot'. It's getting very boring over here.
- I lost my Ray of Light cd years ago. I just bought it in the 5 dollar bin at Walmart...
- Oh please, R122, with every album that Rihanna releases, she diminishes another Madonna record in the UK.
- [quote]Janet Jackson's GREATEST claim to fame was playing a girl whose mother burned her back with an iron.
That was her biggest claim to fame until she took the pop world by storm with 1986's landmark Control album, released video after video that would go on to inspire the Britneys and the Ciaras of the world, and release album after album that not only got her out of her brother's shadow, but made her one of the biggest (and highest paid) female acts in pop history, and the only artist to achieve an album that placed 7 singles in Billboard's Hot 100 top 5.
- If they gave Janet two of the most lucrative recording deals in history, someone must of lost a hell of a lot of money on that bet!
- Ooooooo! It's JANET with her PEOPLE'S CHOICE AWARDS! Wowzer!
- No one under the age of 50 cares about Madonna OR Janet. They're dinosaurs. Pop music performed by old ladies doesn't occupy a big place in popular culture.
Think back to your childhood: this thread is like a couple of queens arguing about the relative merits of Gogi Grant and Patti Page.
- Future generations will doubtless remember Madge for her childrens' books.
- For the genius at R130--those are Billboard awards, sweetheart. Janet won an unprecedented amount that night, and is still the artist with most wins. Janet was the dominant pop female in music at the time. I don't care what mogul Madonna was fucking, or how many queens deemed her Grande Dame because of Truth or Dare (a film in which she was rightfully compared to Janet--by HER OWN DANCER, nonetheless). Janet RULED then.
And, to the misinformed cretin at R129, I'm sure the person who orchestrated Janet's landmark record deals was very pleased (Richard Branson). Branson was quoted as saying 1993's "janet." is what bought his Necker Island.
She was the subject of a heavy bidding war at the time. Virgin wanted to renegotiate to keep her, while Disney wanted to sign her jointly with Polygram, for a deal worth several albums and films. She ultimately resigned with Virgin in 1996, and went on to sell millions more albums. The second signing also broke MJ and Madonna's deals and established Janet, for the second time in the decade, the highest paid performer in history.
Now have a seat.
- I think we should all keep this post going just for the sheer fun of it, and take bets on when JanBot with her cut-n-paste Jackson Encyclopedia of Holy Knowledge finally flips out, gets in her '64 Rambler with ripped upholstery and AM radio playing What Have You Done For Me Lately, and drives to Newtown.
- I worship the JANBOT.
- suck it haters.
Announced: 10 schools opened in Malawi to serve 5000 kids (boys and girls).
See: done privately without much fanfare.
- He e eelp
He is fucking my ass while i'm trying to type to you!
He e eelp! Help
- Janet has always been an afterthought to Madonna.
Today, LaToya is more relevant than Janet.
- R136 = Liz Rosenberg
- nope. Just one of her millions of world-wide fans.
- Let's make a list of the flops Madonna has piled up this year. Just to piss off the fanbots!
- MDNA raced down the charts faster than any other other album in billboard history (in its second week of release). FLOP!
- all three singles off the album failed to register with the general public OR radio stations. Two of them didn't even enter the top 100. FLOP, FLOP and FLOP!
- Her Superbowl performance (the only highlight of her year) failed to generate any interest in her single, 'Give Me All Your Luvin'. FLOP!
- Zero Grammy nominations for the album, not even for electronic and/or dance album. FLOP!
- "W.E." failed to do any business worldwide, not even in the UK, the most loyal Madonna market anywhere. FLOP!
- Her Golden Globe winning song, 'Masterpiece', wasn't even released as a soundtrack single, due to lack of interest in the film. FLOP!
- "W.E." stands at 13 % on rottentomatoes. FLOP!
- Her tour, shockingly, has done less business than the previous one. How embarrassing, considering her tours were the big selling argument for that 120 million contract with LN. FLOP!
- She even had to cancel the Australian leg of her tour, because they couldn't sell enough tickets there. And she hasn't even toured Australia in twenty years! FLOP!
What a flop year for Madonna! :(
At least she's still more relevant than Janet. I'll give her that.
- R140 = Madge
- This is nothing but a PR rehab for Madonna r136 after the mess she created the first time around.
Next you'll be telling us Liz Rosenberg is the bastion of integrity in journalism.
- R141 for the one hundreth time Madonna's Australian tour was not cancelled. PLANS to tour Australia were, venues were never even booked, dates were never announced and TICKETS NEVER WENT ON SALE! And if Madonna would have toured there it would have set records, as people have been dying for her to come there for the last 20 years, she is also the biggest selling female artist in Australian history.
MDNA had the largest second week drop of the last 21 YEARS in the US (since Billboard began using Soundscan) that's hardly of all time, in fact Lady Gaga held the same biggest second week drop with her Born This Way album, and the album has just reentered the charts as recently as last week and in certified GOLD in the US, a dissapointment but hardly a flop.
Aa for the tour when all is said and done it will have grossed $300 million, making it not only 2012's biggest tour but the 10th highest grossing tour of all time and the second highest grossing tour ny a female artist of all time.
The first Madonna's 2008-2009 Sticky and Sweet tour which grossed $408 million and is also the 4th highest grossing tour of all time.
- I think she was relevant until the late 1990s. After "Ray of Light" she never did reach quite the lofty heights she did prior. I think she will always be fairly popular and will always make decent music, but her day as the reigning "star of the day" has passed. I guess Lady Gaga has kind of replaced her in the eyes of many of us dancing queens. I am 29 and most people my age and younger do not really relate to Madonna anymore. I still love her tho.
- Stick a fork in her, she's done.
- R146 yeah but the thing is Gaga is already fading out. Every album she's released since her debut has sold LESS than the previous and her recent tour couldn't outgross Madonna's despite the fact that she's doing MORE dates.
Also worldwide the MDNA album is among the top 15 biggest sellers of the year. Again hardly a flop but perhaps a dissapointment. She outsells every other over 50 artist with albums and tours. She also became the first artist this MILLENIUM in their 50's to score a top 10 hit on the Billboard Hot 100 with her Gold selling Give Me All Your Love.
- R141 and another thing a few years ago the Grammys changed their system disqualify pop artists for submitting their songs and albums in the dance categories, so Madonna had to submit in the pop catagories. Had the Grammy's not changed the rules she definitely would have gotten some nods in the dance categories, after all the album went to #1 on the dance albums chart and ALL 3 singles went to #1 on the dance chart.
- Every gay man loves Madonna. It's in our DNA whether we fucking admit it or not. It's in our fucking genes. It seems cool to bash her these days for some reason but our "Madonna worship" is what separates us from the low-class straight boys and their heavy metal and country western ignorant homophobic bullshit. There's a reason why all we gays hate hard rock and country. They are vile and rotten. Please don't bash Madonna. When you do, you contribute to homophobia. Gays do not bash disco and we do not bash Madge. STOP IT.
- Poster R150: No, brother. Every gay man does not worship Madonna. She's okay and I can take her or leave her. She is not "part of my DNA." I also love hard rock and heavy metal. Does that mean I am straight? Not even close. I don't really see hard rock or metal as being homphobic. Some of the "artists" like Ted Nugent or Gene Simmons are bigoted idiots, but there are quite a few good old liberals in rock. I don't care for country, but to each their own. Love and peace, my friend.
- [quote][R141] for the one hundreth time Madonna's Australian tour was not cancelled. PLANS to tour Australia were, venues were never even booked, dates were never announced and TICKETS NEVER WENT ON SALE! And if Madonna would have toured there it would have set records, as people have been dying for her to come there for the last 20 years, she is also the biggest selling female artist in Australian history.
Nope. Numbers were released. There was no demand.
- [quote][R146] yeah but the thing is Gaga is already fading out. Every album she's released since her debut has sold LESS than the previous and her recent tour couldn't outgross Madonna's despite the fact that she's doing MORE dates.
She had two albums, you moron. She's on top.
Madonna's entire career is touring. Lady Gaga's is not. Madonna's back catalog spans 30 years. Nice try, madbot.
- [quote]Every gay man loves Madonna. It's in our DNA whether we fucking admit it or not.
You mean old gay men, which are a dying demographic.
Young gays have no use for her.
- Hell, I'm 49 and I have no use for the cunt either.
- R147 let's review here
Has the years #1 highest grossing tour that will end up among the 10 highest grossing tour of ALL TIME joining her previous tour
Her Superbowl performance was the most watched TV show in US history, attracting 3 million more viewers than the game itself.
MDNA set an Itunes record by going to #1 in more than 50 COUNTRIES.
She's not just breaking records anymore she's extending records she's already broken by scoring her 38th top 10 on the Billboard charts extending her record for the artist with the most top 10 songs of ALL TIME.
In the UK she scored her 12th #1 album eclipsing Elvis as the solo artist with the most #1 albums in UK history. She is second overall to the Beatles who have 15 #1 albums in the UK.
She scored 3 more #1 songs on the Billboard dance charts given her career total of an astonishing 43 #1 dance songs, by far more than any other act.
According to Billboard Madonna has a combined total of 156 #1's on the charts through the years, that is more #1's than any act in HISTORY.
Her Truth or Dare fragrance was such a success that a second fragrance(Naked) eas rushed out in time for Christmas.
Her Macy's junior line was such a success that it expand to include health and beauty products as well, with a shoe line and a lingerie line to come next year.
Madonna is due to make more money this year than any musical performer in HISTORY and she has a good shot of overtaking Oprah on the Forbes highest paid Entertainers list next year.
Live Nation is more than happy with their 2007 Madonna contract, when she first signed with them for 4 tours they were hoping that each tour would gross around $200 million like her 2006 Confessions tour did, instead her first 2 tours with them have grossed a combined total of $700 million, $300 million above expectations.
- R152 no you're wrong, Madonna never booked venues, announced tour dates and certainly never put tickets on sale is Australia, this is a fact! Google it. Madonna's team got people excited because their were media reports of Madonna's people scopping out venues in Australia for her to "possibly" continue her tour their in 2013, but nothing was confirmed. I have the MDNA tourbook that was printed with all the dates BEFORE the tour kicked off and there is no mention of Australia, it was just a RUMOR that she was going to tour their but nothing was ever booked and tickets sure in hell never went on sale there, I mean how can tickets go ob sale when venues were never booked and dates were never announced!
- R153 actually Gaga has had 3 the Fame Monster had 8 new songs added, which is enough to count as a second album and just for the hell of it let's compare Gaga's first 3 album sales to Madonna
The Fame (2008) 8 million
The Fame Monster (2009) 7 million
Born This Way (2011) 5.6 million
Madonna (1983) 10 million
Like a Virgin (1984) 21 million
True Blue (1986) 25 million
Noticing a trend here?
- R152 oh wait you're a Gaga stan there's no way that you understand FACTS. Numbers were released? What kind of numbers in Australia considering that TICKETS NEVER WENT ON SALE IN AUSTRALIA! Places were never even booked and dates were never announced, it was all a rumor/ hope that Madonna would continue her tour with a second leg including Australia in 2013.
By the way I'm 32 just 6 years older than Gaga, in fact my mom is younger than Madonna so I'm not an eldergay.
- Such defensiveness on this thread!!!
MDNA is STILL the worst album of the Year
- R160 that's your opinion and your entitled to it, by the way have you listened to the HUNDREDS of albums released this year to come to that conclusion?
- I just noticed something Madonna's ONE album (True Blue) sold more than Gaga's ENTIRE CAREER! Aside from her 3 studio albums, if you add her remix album and her flop Christmas EP they still don't add up to 25 million worldwide, which is what True Blue sold worldwide. ALONE.
- the meltdowns are from the same two dolts who keep declaring "FLOP DNA" instead of ...um...actually LOOKING AT FACTS!
You all must be Rethuglicans.
- No one seems to be addressing the fact that the industry is still confused as to how to actually collect data on sales now that you can download albums, or individual songs. Its not like it is 1984.
And I think we should all be happy for chubby little Janet for what success she had back in her day with Jodi Whatley and that crazy little chick judge from American Idol who used to put out videos singing and dancing with animated animals.
Don't worry about chubby Janet. She is fine, living in Las Vegas with her People's Choice award, and dunking ding-dongs into gravy, slurping them up.
- Their will only be one Maddona and one Prince they are the only two entertainers that made the 80s bareable.
- "actually LOOKING AT FACTS!"
You mean spouting "Facts" that her management puts out there. Just because you keep repeating them doesn't make them any more valid.
Fact. Madonna and Janet both had their moments of popularity. At least Janet has come to the conclusion that her heyday has passed and is doing other things. And, frankly, looking very happy.
Madonna is getting very desperate. Giving away her CD for nothing and then tallying it up in the billboard charts to get a number one total. The fiasco with her concert tickets.
It's sad that she's so obvioulsy intimidated by the younger artists out there. She could have gone another, much cooler way. Instead, she's almost sixty and still showing her beef curtains and mooning the crowd for any publicity.
It's obvious there's one person who is headed into Norma Desmond territory, and it isn't Janet.
- [quote]in fact Lady Gaga held the same biggest second week drop with her Born This Way album
Yes, but when your album goes platinum in a week (which BTW did), the second-week drop is just small potatoes. Didn't MDNA go wood its first week out?
- [quote]Fact. Madonna and Janet both had their moments of popularity. At least Janet has come to the conclusion that her heyday has passed and is doing other things. And, frankly, looking very happy.
This is true. Janet's also newly engaged, and it's making World News. She's in love and happy, not throwing hissy fits in a half-empty stadium and prancing around half naked to the shame of herself and her kids.
[quote]It's sad that she's so obvioulsy intimidated by the younger artists out there..
This is true as well. Madonna is so envious/intimidated by Lady Gaga that it's gone from being funny to being pathetic.
[quote]It's obvious there's one person who is headed into Norma Desmond territory, and it isn't Janet.
Also true. Janet's engaged to a billionaire and on the cusp of releasing her long-awaited 11th studio album. It's looking to be a banner year for her.
- R164, they're BILLBOARD AWARDS, dear. Now take a look around your trailer at all the chairs, and have a seat in every one of them.
- All things being equal, I'd rather walk away with Madonna's 525 million dollars earned this year and cuddle up with her stud boyfriend, then count the celulite dimples in Janet's fat ass eating ding dogs.
- These pop star threads are fucking AMAZING. You kaweens are fucking insane. Honestly, read a book or something. Lord.
I will say, as someone who only has a passing care for pop music, that comparing Gaga's first three album sales to Madonna's first three albums is asinine. The fact that Gaga sold between 5-8 million copies of her first three albums would translate to 15-25 million copies in the 1980s. Easily.
Other than that, please carry on!
I think I'm Team Madbot just because I like an underdog.
- R166 she just turned 54. R167 until Justin Biebers album in July, MDNA had the HIGHEST first week sales (370,000) of the year in the US. R168 Half empty stadiums? The tour was a combination of stadiums and arenas and according to Billboard who named it the highest grossing tour of the year all 72 shows sold out. Why would Madonna be intimidated by Gaga? Her tour made more money than hers Madonna looks better than her and Madonna will make WAY more money than her this year.
Also she's fucking Madonna! The Guinness Book of Recorda winner for world's top selling female recording artist of all time, also winner for world's highest grossing solo touring artist of all time (1.3 billion box office). If you think Gaga will have even 1/3 of her staying power it's hilarious!
Her new album Artpop next year will sell even less than Born This Way, except for her little monsters, people are tired of her and in about 5 more years she'll be headlining pride, while Madonna will still be selling out arenas and stadiums the world over.
- Only crazy Madonna fans care about Gaga's longevity. If Gaga lasts another year or fifteen more years, um, who cares? Madonna made an indelible mark on pop culture. So has Gaga. Personally, I hate both of them.
- R166 the MDNA CD/ ticket redemption that was only done in the US, WAS included with the ticket price. When you bought a ticket for the tour, you're asked if you want the CD, if you said yes an ADDITIONAL $11 dollars was added to the price of the ticket and you're given a coupon for a redemption. Billboard doesn't count any CD sales below $5 dollars for it's chart reports, they're sure in the hell not gonna count "free" CD'S. As for Madonna being envious of the younger pop girls that SHE PAVED THE WAY FOR. Bitch please! Katy Perry has stated time and time again that Madonna is everything to her and she would love to duet with her.
Just last month Rihanna called Madonna the Queen of Music and basicslly BEGGED her for a duet.
If Madonna wanted to she could call up any of these girls and be like yo bitch! Let's do this.
- [quote]I just noticed something Madonna's ONE album (True Blue) sold more than Gaga's ENTIRE CAREER! Aside from her 3 studio albums, if you add her remix album and her flop Christmas EP they still don't add up to 25 million worldwide, which is what True Blue sold worldwide. ALONE.
Back when people bought albums, and didn't pirate them. Madonna can't even sell a million anymore.
Gaga has 2 studio albums.
Gaga has been around since 2008. Nice try, Flopdonna.
- [quote]in fact Lady Gaga held the same biggest second week drop with her Born This Way album
No, Madonna holds the biggest second week drop.
Gaga sold a monumental amount of records in her first week. She started off huge with it. A drop was expected. She was not going to push a million in her second week. Madonna started off flopping, and dropped even further.
Nice try, Madbot.
- [quote]Also she's fucking Madonna!
BWAHAHAHA! You gotta pity the old effeminates.
Madonna gave her album away free with tour tickets, and perfume. She also gave her single away too. She cheated.She gave the single away for nothing with pre-orders. MDNA is the worst-selling album of her career. Her previous flop album, "Hard Candy" actually did better.
[quote]MDNA had the HIGHEST first week sales (370,000) of the year in the US.
Taylor Swift sold 1 million copies of her new album "Red" in one week. Nice try again, Madbot.
[quote]Just last month Rihanna called Madonna the Queen of Music and basicslly BEGGED her for a duet.
Oh, dear. Link to Rihanna calling Madonna for a duet. Madonna begged Gaga for a duet on her current flop tour.
- No, R172, in 5 years GaGa will be doing Reno and country fairs.
- I'm taking up a collecton for Ms. JanBot. All procedes will go for sending the bitch to resthome that does not have internet service.
- R175 um MDNA her lowest selling album of her career has sold 1.8 million and in a few years should be at 2 MILLION. Do you know basic math?
Gaga held the biggest second week sales drop from #1 during the Soundscan era record before Madonna.
Madonna has more records to break with her next album, when it debuts at #1 on the US charts, she'll set the record for female artist with most consecutive # 1 albums (6) in the US and she'll tie a record with Striesand for female artist with the most #1 albums in history. Both will have 9.
- R177 flop tour its the years #1 grossing tour of the year and one of the top grossing of all time!
If the MDNA tour is a flop than so is Adele's 21 album!
Madonna had the biggest first week sales until Bieber in July, local artist Swift didn't release her album until November.
In an interview with Andy Cohen, Rihanna said these things and said she was throwing the duet off out there! Google it.
- R177 Madonna revealed that she asked Gaga to join her onstage during one of her sold out Yankee Stadium dates. Gaga's manager himself admitted that Gaga couldn't join her because she was on tour in Europe THAT SAME NIGHT.
- R177 Hard Candy sold 4 million and was the 9th biggest selling album of 2008 worldwide. Hardly a flop. The album before that Confessions on a Dancefloor sold 11 milliin worldwide and was the BIGGEST SELLING ALBUM RELEASED IN 2005.
- So on the Pop Star Relevancy List, as of right now we have these princesses to choose from:
Now, in what order would these go. Remember, it's for relevancy NOW, not a lifetime achievement award...
- I was lookng up Janet's touring grosses and look what I uncovered!
Janet's last tour the 2011 Number Ones greatest hits tour played 80 shows and grossed a total of $16 million (not a typo)!
Madonna's last tour the recently completed MDNA tour playrd a total of 88 shows and grossed around(after South America is officially added) $300 MILLION. The tour is the highest grossing of 2012, the second highest grossing by a female after Madonna's previous tour, and the 10th highest grossing of all time.
In fact if you add up the numbers for all six of Janet's tours combined the gross is less than the grosd for the MDNA tour.
- Live Nation works for Madonna. Of course, they're going to spin her tour as a giant success.
The "facts" being spouted are very cute. Like I said in my previous post, the desperation is clearly showing. When you give away your album for nothing to get a number one position, how relevant are you?
- R186, when did Madonna give away her CDs? I bought a ticket to her MDNA tour for $366, and the price included the cost of the CD. I paid for the CD
- [quote]Madonna begged Gaga for a duet on her current flop tour
RIGHT! LMAO! I guess she expected Gaga to relent and beg to work with her, like some of these other young pop tarts, but Gaga wasn't havin' it. She told the Hag where she could go with her 'duet', and I couldn't be more proud of her for it. Even funnier was Madonna's lame response to the rejection.
- [quote]I'm taking up a collecton for Ms. JanBot. All procedes will go for sending the bitch to resthome that does not have internet service.
Do be mad, but I'm finding it hilarious that you are SO miffed by my musings about the One and Only Miss Janet that you must constantly create posts that are geared towards me. I'd start ignorning you but, well, where's the fun in that??
Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go and listen to Janet's ACADEMY AWARD-NOMINATED #1 Hot 100 hit "Again".
- For the doofus at R185, Janet's last tour was an Up Close and Personal theater tour--one that spanned the globe, and was so successful that she had to add dates and play several nights in the same city. It was a by-demand tour, which means she went where the fans asked her to go (she wasn't able to visit Australia and South America, two places that specifically had high demand for her, but she'll likely get back to those places with the next tour). Because it was a theater tour, the total gross is hardly in flop territory, much like Madonna's wood-certified last CD.
- Stats do not equal quality, retards.
- Her career is clearly over.
Philip Morris USA, Inc.
- [quote]All things being equal, I'd rather walk away with Madonna's 525 million dollars earned this year and cuddle up with her stud boyfriend
No one wants to cuddle up with you, dear. Aren't you a hunchback?
- Madonna's last few singles have been major flops. Her album sank like a stone, the world over.
So... she is in flop territory.
The tour isn't doing as well as Sticky & Sweet, either. Those ARE facts.
The problem is twofold: 1) her new material isn't interesting or memorable, and 2) she isn't playing enough old hits on her tour, to compensate for the weak new material.
Sticky & Sweet confirmed that she neglects her quality old hits in favor of weak new songs.
Consequently, more people stayed away from the MDNA tour, which follows the same unfortunate pattern.
Madonna is relevant only in the sense that people still love her old music, and her old persona.
But unless she changes gears, and finds inspiration again, there will be less and less interest in her, and her floppiness will increase with each new project.
As for Janet: she is beyond over. But I think she knows that, and can live with that.
- This information is ALL cut and pasted from chubby Janet’s OWN Wiki site:
1. In 1986 The Boston Globe remarked: "If you're talking about the female power elite in pop, you can't get much higher than Janet Jackson, Bonnie Raitt, Madonna and Yoko Ono.
(I have to laugh about Bonnie Raitt and Yoko being included; can anyone figure that out for me?)
2. Jackson's All for You Tour began in July, 2001. Los Angeles Times' pop music critic Robert Hilburn gave a negative review of the concert tour, comparing it unfavorably to Madonna's Drowned World Tour and Britney Spears' Dream Within a Dream Tour. Hilburn remarked: "At 35, Jackson is only eight years younger than Madonna, but her presentation feels more akin to Britney Spears'. Madonna knows how to dig beneath the surface; Jackson lives on it.”
As the twilight of JANET’S moribund career approached, around 2004, we find this information:
3. In March 2004, Jackson's eighth studio album, Damita Jo (Jackson's middle name), was released. Allmusic's Stephen Thomas Erlewine referred to the album as "the aural equivalent of hardcore pornography—it leaves nothing to the imagination and it's endlessly repetitive."[112 its four singles all failed to become top 40 hits.
4. Virgin Records released 20 Y.O. in September 2006. The album's lead single "Call on Me", a duet with rapper Nelly, peaked at number twenty-five on the Hot 100. Billboard magazine reported the release of 20 Y.O. satisfied Jackson's contract with Virgin Records; Jermaine Dupri, who co-produced 20 Y.O., left his position as head of urban music at Virgin following the "disappointing performance" of Jackson's album. (As in he got fired! My words.)
= Here you have to read between the lines. with huge record label A&M. Janet’s last few albums, including 20 Y.O. with huge record label A&M, flops. A&M declines to re-sign Janet and Janet has to sign with much smaller Island Records.
5. (Janet’s decline is exquisitely summed up in the following quote): Andy Kellman of Allmusic expressed: "Janet probably won't hit that late-'80s peak again, but that is no excuse to write her off.
6. Jackson announced plans to go on her "largest ever world tour" in 2011, supporting her second greatest hits collection, Number Ones. The tour, entitled Number Ones: Up Close and Personal, will hold concerts in 35 global cities. (From Pollstar: The tour ranked 45th in Pollstar's "Top 50 Worldwide Tour (Mid-Year)", earning only a disappointing 16 million dollars.)
7. In the fourteen months she was associated with Island, her record had sold 449,000 copies and did not receive RIAA certification. Billboard reported that, "the label agreed to dissolve their relationship with the artist.” (READ: Her label FIRED Janet!)
8. Thor Christensen of The Dallas Morning News reported that Jackson lip syncs in concert; he wrote, "Janet Jackson—one of pop's most notorious onstage lip-syncers—conceded ... she uses 'some' taped vocals to augment her live vocals. But she refused to say what percentage of her concert 'voice' is taped and how much is live."
My words: It has been over 5 years since Janet was fired from her last record label, little Island Records. Though she continues to occasionally release an independent single, she had not released an album in 5 years and no record label seems anxious to sign her.
Fleurs pour les mortes!?
- R195 eats the feces of homeless winos.
- R195, "Please Sir, may I have some more?"
- Aww...poor old, hunchback thing at R195. Don't hate Janet because she's beautiful, younger than you (and the HAG), rich and about to be even richer when she marries her billionaire boyfriend.
Janet ASKED to be let out of her Island deal, dear. Although she did give them a #1 album before she left.
As for the comparison of the ALL FOR YOU tour to Madonna's bleak DROWNED WORLD (a fitting name if there ever was one) tour, well, you missed a couple (or, should I say, you left some out, lol):
Buffalo, NY critic Craig Seymour remarked:
[italic]"Janet doesn't fight against her image like Madonna, who plays almost none of her early hits during this summer's 'Drowned World' tour. Rather, she attacks her classics with such vigor that the experience is less nostalgic than vitally in-the-moment. But most of all, by embracing her well-liked hits, Jackson does precisely what a superstar is supposed to do: She lets the crowd love her."[/italic]
Richard Harrington of the Washington Post wrote:
[italic]"In the Duelling Diva Smackdown that has filled MCI Center for five of the past nine nights, Janet Jackson KO’d Madonna with a two-hour show that favoured jubilant entertainment over sombre art, and embraced the past instead of avoiding it. Jackson, who opened a three-night stand at MCI on Thursday, also trumped Madonna in terms of staging, choreography and audience participation. Last weekend’s Madonna shows seemed downright cold compared with Jackson’s concerts, the last of which is to take place tonight."[/italic]
Now, why don't you go on and plan out that sad, lonely old man cruise you were talking about in that thread you created.
- Oh, also, R195, it's rather sad that you resorted to going to Janet's WIKI page just to cut-copy-paste negative things about her. Don't you know that that very same page has a myriad of wonderful things about her legendary career, and the about legacy she has already left that everyone from Britney to JLO has followed? Silly old man you!
There will NEVER be another...
- MDNA has been a huge success - every date has been sold out. That's a verifiable fact, which I saw with my own eyes in Cleveland in November. Some of you queens just make shit up.
- Lord, is this tired old thread still going?
- R200 exactly BILLBOARD CONFIRMED it as the years highest grossing tour, the 2nd highest grossing tour from a female (after her previous tour) and THE 10TH HIGHEST GROSSING TOUR OF ALL TIME!
Hell pick up the year end issue of Billboard with the charts, where you'll also find that all 72 dates were sold out.
Madonna also set a record for a female by selling out her first Yankee Stadium date in 20 minutes, so another had to be added.
And once again the MDNA album was certified GOLD in the US and has sold 1.8 million worldwide since March. Janet would Kill for those numbers.
By the way I watched A League of Their Own yeaterday it's definitely Madonna's best movie.
- 1.8 million is a poor figure, considering there were not hits off the album to speak of.
`Give Me All Your Luvin' was universally reviled. In the UK, Madonna's most loyal market, it stalled at # 37...
That pretty much tells you how much it was disliked, the world over.
The other two singles were hardcore flops.
The tour has raked in big bucks, but has done less business than Sticky & Sweet. Another disappointment Madonna could have avoided by playing more old hits, and new material that was interesting. But she didn't.
The fanbots spinning her string of flops as some big success are desperate and sad.
Once this tour is over, LN will have a talke with Madonna. She is not living up to that 120 million contract.
- Actually her tours are grossing ABOVE what Live Nation thought. They signed her in 2007 after her 2006 Confessions tour which grossed $200 million. They were hoping that her tours would average that gross instead they've gone above their predictions.
- This current tour has raked in less cash than S&S, so I don't know what you're talking about r204.
- As usual, people aren't making ANY sense - and I mean YOU - dumbass at R203.
Let's take your first sentence....
"1.8 million is a poor figure, considering there were not (oh dear) hits off the album to speak of."
Are you under the age of ten? How does this statement make sense?
If Madonna had any "hits" off the album, she would have sold more than 1.8 million. So, just to spoon feed you an intelligent thought, 1.8 without a "hit" is pretty damn good.
But let me remind you of something music "insiders" have been saying for years now. Album/single sales just don't equate to what they once were. Illegal downloading, torrents, spotify....these things have changed the landscape of the music and entertainment world. Madonna is an amazing business woman, and to prove it, she paved the way for change.
By giving her cd away for free, she clearly doesn't care about album revenue. She was after tour money the entire time. Heck, she started selling tour tickets the day the album dropped. Her fans (and others), bought tickets before we even knew the set list of the show.
And now, she has hundreds of millions of dollars from said tour.
So keep on grasping at the argument that her album sales are dismal (even though they aren't). She's laughing all the way to the bank. And YOU - my silly friend, are painting pages full of horseshit.
Thanks, and have a nice day.
- [quote]dShe's laughing all the way to the bank. And YOU- my silly friend, are painting pages full of horseshit.
I see Madonna's taking a creative writing course!
- R205 this tour may have taken in less than the Sticky and Sweet (4th highest grossing tour of all time) tour, but when Madonna was signed by Live Nation in '07 the expectations were that her tours would gross an average of $200 million (Confessions tour gross).
The first tour under the contract grossed $408 milliin.
$200 million ABOVE expectations.
The MDNA tour will have a total gross of around $300 million. $100 milliin ABOVE expectations.
With the Drowned World tour in 2001 to the current MDNA tour her 5 tours have a generated a combined box office of over 1.1 BILLION in the 2000's alone. With only about 350 shows played combined, it's a record for a solo performer (male or female).
- The Madonna fanbots are the most gullible people on the internet. So sad.
"The new tour wasn't MEANT to be as successful as the last one!!"
Which, of course, is why she was showered with 120 million dollars by Live Nation -- because they weren't expecting much from her.
Sweethearts.... stop buying the PR bullshit spoonfed to you by corporat entities.
Had Madonna released a hit record, with hit singles on it, her tour would have been MUCH BIGGER, raking in MORE CASH. You know, even the floppy Hard Candy album had one genuine hit single on it - and consequently, the tour broke records. Not so this time.
Don't for one second believe LN cared nothing about the new album. Of course they did!
The more old hits AND new hits Madonna performs, the more people will attend her concerts.
But she did none of those things. She played very few old hits, she shat out an uninspired album that came with no hits whatsoever, and she forced her tired material on her audience. There was no buzz or excitement about this new tour, and consequenly, it didn't do as much revenue as it could have done.
And you can bet LN are concerned about the long-term effects of this. Fewer people will attend future tours now, because Madonna has confirmed she cares nothing about quality material these days.
Her brand is in trouble, which means LN is in trouble.
- R209 because Sticky and Sweet was so successful that according to your logic every tour she does after that one has to top it in order for it to be a success? Talk about being held to a higher standard. By that logic every album Michael Jackson released after Thriller was a flop, because none of them topped it.
Bad is one of the biggest selling albums of all time (like the MDNA tour is one of the highest grossing tours of all time) but because it didn't top Thriller it's a flop. What?
And just to reiterate Madonna's one MDNA TOUR >>>>>>>>>Janet's entire 6 tours COMBINED box office.
And Madonna's one True Blue album sales>>>>>>>>>Lady Gaga's five albums COMBINED
- [quote]And just to reiterate Madonna's one MDNA TOUR >>>>>>>>>Janet's entire 6 tours COMBINED box office.
Bitch, please. Janet's landmark RN tour REMAINS the biggest debut tour by any artist. Period. With the myriad of artists that have followed and come before her, that is an AMAZING feat. They tried to say Gaga's debut tour topped Janet's, but it didn't. And, with inflation, Janet's combined tour gross stands at $858,011,200, and that doesn't factor in the numbers for her sold-out UCAP tour.
- These are sheer numbers WITHOUT inflation.
If you take the box office of Madonna' previous tours and adjust them for inflation you'd have a box office total of around 2.5 BILLION.
What's interesting is that Madonna has all these huge numbers without ever doing a ton of shows. The 88 date MDNA tour is her longest tour yet.
- R211 yet on the official list of the highest grossing tours of all time Janet is nowhere to be found, yet Madonna has 4 tours on this list, including the top 2 highest grossing tours for a female. With Sticky and Sweet at #4 of all time.
- Can't sing, dance or act? Why does she have fans?
- R214 that's funny because MJ wanted her to duet on the song In the Closet back in 1991 and they were spotted hanging out together everywhere including going as each others "date" to the Oscars.
- What r201 said.
- Obviously she is relevant when we keep talking about her in this old raggedy thread!!!!
- But he still said it r215.
- Vadge has only had 3 Top 5 songs in the last 13 years. THREE lousy songs!
Does that sound like she's relevant these days???
She's simply a nostalgia act now.
- R219 that's only in the US, where she's also had 6 top ten songs in the last thirtee
n years. Worldwide she continued to have hit after hit in the 2000's including 9 #1 songs since 2000 worldwide. A lot of her lack of hits in recent years can be attributed to lack of radio play due to ageism. If Billboard did their singles charts like in the UK basing it on pure sales and not including airplay, Madonna would have had even more huge hits in the 2000's in the US.
For instance Don't Tell Me, Die Another Day, Hollywood, Me Against the Music, Hung up, Sorry and 4 Minutes all would have went to #1 as they all topped the singles sales charts.
In fact in 2009 Billboard named Madonna the top selling SINGLES artist of the decade. Quite an impressive fear for an artist that started in the '80's, hell it's unheard of!
- Madonna's tour only made $200 million. What a flop!
- Well, I was watching Channel 4's The 50 Funniest Moments of 2012 the other night (UK) and in at number 38 was MADONNA. Just about her album was crap and playing the bit where she pokes her nipple out over and over...the commentators were pretty much saying, "Sit down, Grandma."
- R221 the tour FINAL gross after the South American dates have been accounted for will be around $300 million.
Billboard confirmed the MDNA tour as the years highest grossing with 72 out of 72 shows sold out, the 16 SA dates haven't been counted yet.
If the MDNA tour is a flop than every tour of the last year is a flop.
BECAUSE MADONNA OUTGROSSED THEM ALL
- "all would have went to #1"
In English, we say "would have gone to #1"
Please say it right, if you choose to post in an English-speaking forum.
"lack of radio play due to ageism"
You chose the easy route, r220. Too easy. Too facile.
Ageism is only a small factor. QUALITY is the real reason they stopped playing her songs.
If Madonna would release killer singles, radio would actually play her. Clearchannel was READY to play her new lead single, yet she gave them the atrocious 'Give Me All Your Luvin' -- a song that *cannot* be played on radio, because it is weak and grating.
Madonna buried her radio appeal with American Life and all the singles off that album. She ruined her radio invincibility with a string of horrible singles.
Only THEN did her age become a factor - she suddenly sounded out of touch, the way Bowie, the Stones and many others suddenly sounded of touch three decades into their careers.
Radio became rightfully suspicious of Madonna around that time, and she has never been able to shake off that suspicion, continuing as she does to put out VERY uneven material. For every '4 Minutes' there are three banal 'Miles Away' and 'Celebration' singles further damaging her musical credibility.
It is her own fault.
Had she put more effort into American Life, her age would have meant nothing, and her radio appeal would have remained bulletproof. With poor material, now it does.
- R222 even though it's BLATANT ageism and sexism (they wouldn't talk about a male performer like that) it just further confims that Madonna is very much relevant.
If she weren't than NOBODY would be talking about her because nobody would care!
- R224 yeah but when all is said and done Madonna still has more top 5 singles than any female in history! So what's your point, you're picking at straws here.
For the record in the last 13 years
MJ has had ZERO top 5 singles
Whitney has had ZERO top 5 singles
Janet has had 3 top 5 singles
In the last 13 years Madonna has had 8 top 10 albums, including a record tying 5 CONSECUTIVE #1 albums.
- r225, we are talking about her for nostalgic reasons. Because most of us grew up with her, many of us were fond of her persona/music/videos, you name it.
And because she is still out there, doing her (now boring) thing.
That doesn't mean she is relevant to the masses, though.
Maybe she could be relevant again, in a non-nostalgic sense, but she would have to completely re-boot her system.
That too is a reason we keep talking about her. Her stubborness, her refusal to do the right thing. It is sad yet fascinating.
However, our interest in all things Madonna does not mean she is relevant with her current material.
Get that through your thick skull.
- My point, r226, is this: DL is not a Madonna fansite. We take celebrities apart.
The more you stomp your feet, the more we'll do it.
Madonna these days releases 90 % shit music. You fanbots are incapable of seeing that. Fine. Good for you.
Us sane people, however, don't 'need a point' if we want to say: SHE COULD BE SO MUCH BETTER!
SHE COULD ACTUALLY RELEASE GOOD MUSIC, and: SHE COULD ACTUALLY DO SOMETHING INTERESTING WITH HER CAREER!
Instead of being a, wait for it, SELLOUT!
We do attack artists for being sellouts, you know?
And your Goddess has become the template for all megastar sellouts.
Deal with it, hon.
- In the last 13 years where Madonna has had 6 top ten singles in the US.
Cher has had ZERO top 10 hits
Tina Turner has had ZERO top 10 hits
Barbra Striesand has had ZERO top 10 hits
Aretha Franklin has had ZERO top 10 hits
It doesn't take away from the fact that all these women are LEGENDS, just because they can't score hits like they used to because radio doesn't play older artists.
And for the record Madonna has more top 10 singles (38) than any musical performer in
- You fanbots are so sad, because you come here expecting validation.
But you will never get it on DL. This is not a site meting out validation to needy fanbots, espeically not those who keep waffling about 'facts' that interest NOBODY around here.
What good is a 'fact' if we have to listen to an album as terrible as MDNA, for pete's sake?
That, in all honesty, is my main point.
You are pitiful in your need to convince us that Madonna, sellout of the decade, is still *IT*.
- R226 Why do you looney bin Vadge fans always bring up other artists in desperate attempts to distract from the facts? Even more pathetic is how 2 of the 3 people you're trying to compare her to are dead. Why not compare her to Rihanna, Katy Perry, and Gaga who are all currently around and are quickly on their way to breaking several of Vadge's records? Oh, I know - because you want to keep pretending it's the 80's and 90's.
3 lousy Top 5 songs in the last 13 (going on 14) years = no longer relevant.
- [quote]Madonna's tour only made $200 million. What a flop!
The only reason it made that much was because sad eldergays like yourself who want to pretend it's still the 80's were stupid enough to pay $350 (or more) a ticket for a shitty show that didn't even last a full two hours. Almost all of the fans that attended were 40+ years old. Her days of attracting new fans are long gone.
And don't expect any future tours of hers to make this kind of money again. Even many of the die-hard fans said they will never pay to see her again after this debacle (coming on stage 2 1/2 hours late, shitty setlist, tired gimmicks like pulling out her tits and showing her ass, long political ramblings, etc). People are over her.
- R223, I was being sarcastic. A $200 million tour is a success by anyone's measure.
I agree with R224. Radio would play her if the material was there. She can't pick her singles anymore to save her life. She just can't. Her songs with the best hit potential are left as album filler or released too late in the album cycle for anyone to care.
- The nonsense about radio not playing her due to ageism is rubbish. Cher had her biggest number 1 song ever with Believe when she was 52 years old and was on radio non-stop. If a song is truly good, it will be played on radio. Vadge simply isn't being played anymore because her music sucks now.
- R224 nails it. GMAYL was a terrible choice for a lead single and it was obvious she was banking on Nicki Minaj and MIA's popularity with the 12 to 20-somethings to make it a hit.
Even though MDNA is at best a mediocre album it has a few decent songs that could have been successful with the right direction and promotion. Gang Bang, Love Spent, and Beautiful Killer all had great single potential and the darker themed femme fatale persona isn't something she's done before. And like the classic Madonna of yesteryear she could have taken something outwardly controversial like guns and spun it into a national dialogue on violence and gun control.
- R232, nice try, but I didn't see her show and I'm not an eldergay.
GMAYL is a terrible song. If she was looking to bank on Nicki's success she should have chosen I Don't Give A as a single. Nicki's presence on the track doesn't seem forced the way it does on GMAYL, and it would have lasted more than a week on the charts.
- R231 what Madonna records are those 3 about to break? Madonna has so many worldwide records that it would take me FOREVER to list them all.
Madonna herself is still breaking/extending records
When they cab sell over 320 million records and be named the biggest selling female artist of all time by the Guinness Book of Records than we can talk.
When their tours can gross over 1.3 Billion at the box office (without inflation) and be named the highest grossing solo touring artist of all time than we can talk. Including the top 2 grossing tours for a female artist and 2 tours in the highest grossing top 10 of all time.
- R234 but Cher's chart success is miniscule compared to Madonna.
In fact Believe was her only hit song in the last 22 years!
BTW even her follow up singles like the excellent Strong Enough flopped at US radio.
And that was in 1998 , since then radio has gotten even more ageist.
If you're a female over the age at 35 you're pretty much dead at radio. You may get a fluke hit, but you're not gonna score hit after hit anymore.
- More delusion all around.
'Love Spent' is a big nothing of a song that would NOT have been played on radio. Rightfully so.
'Gang Bang' sounds like a demo to a song. It's not fleshed out, and relies too heavily on gimmicks and attitude. No chance on the airwaves.
'Beautiful Killer' is ok, but in the end, very unremarkable as well. We expect more from Madonna.
Another big problem: all the vocals on that album sound bitchy, thin, overproduced, and disconnected, i.e. she sounds bored (no wonder, the songs ARE boring).
Yes, she's always had a limited range. But she used to SING on her songs. Not anymore.
MDNA truly is the worst album of her career. No wonder she is flopping so hard.
- r238, 'Strong Enough' was not a 'good song'. It was a flop, predictably.
And the rest of your post makes no sense.
Again, Clearchannel was READY and EAGER to play her new lead single. Because this was the inaugural release for their *own company*.
Madonna had had every chance in the world to get a real # 1 single, with fresh material, and a good song.
But she blew it. She elected to work on 'W.E.' instead.
Yes, truth hurts. And the fanbots are scared of it. Madonna herself is to blame, sweeties!
- R232 bullshit haters have been saying that since the '80's and she's shut them the fuck up time and time again.
There's a review I read recently for the True Blue album in '86 and in the review they say that there's no way in hell True Blue would match Like a Virgin's sales.
Not only did it match it, it surpassed it with Madonna breaking HER OWN RECORD for biggest selling album by a female artist of all time.
- Strong Enough was not Good Enough for radio! I couldn't resist.
- Another reason nobody likes Madonna anymore is her shitty attitude. This bitch charges hundreds of dollars for one ticket and comes on stage 2 1/2 hours late, yet bitches if people want to smoke OUTDOORS??? She's delusional and a mean, nasty old cunt.
- R243 yeah nobody likes her anymore, she only has the years #1 tour and one of the top 15 best selling albums of the year worldwide.
Any other over 50 artist would KILL to have the year Madonna had in 2012.
The smoking debacle in Chile wasn't during her show, it was during her soundcheck. Madonna is one of the few artists who's gracious enough to open her soundcheck up to her fans.
And 2 annoying fans were smoking and literally blowing smoke in her face and being rude. The media never reports the truth though.
- The last Madonna song I liked: Don't Tell Me.
Her last significant album to fair weather/non-hardcore fans: Ray of Light.
Don't love her or loath her. She's had some good tunes.
Would never see her live - she's such a joyless performer.
- [quote]In the last 13 years Madonna has had 8 top 10 albums, including a record tying 5 CONSECUTIVE #1 albums
And we all know who it took YEARS for the Hag to tie with that record...
ACADEMY AWARD NOMINEE Janet Jackson
- The poster above who stated that many Madonna records abroad will be soon broken/have already been broken is correct. Rihanna's latest CD makes her the female artist with the most consecutive #1 albums in the UK, and her new single "Diamonds" broke several other Madonna records over there as well. Hell, with every new album and single RhiRhi puts out, she abolishes another Madonna record.
- R247 actually Rihanna TIED Madonna's record for most consecutive #1 albums by a female in the UK.
And the song diamonds didn't abolish no fucking Madonna record in the UK!
Madonna has 61 top 10 songs and 13 #1 songs
on the UK singles chart, more than any other female.
Madonna has 12 #1 albums on the UK albums chart more than any other solo artist, male or female, (When MDNA went to #1 it broke her tie with Elvis) and second of all time to the Beatles with 15 #1 albums (another record Madonna will surely break).
- R247 Rihanna did TIE another Madonna record this time in the US when she scored her 12th #1 single, which is pretty impressive.
But, it's off of Rihanna's 7th studio album, as she puts out a new album every year Madonna scored her 12th US #1 with her 8th studio album, so there's not that much difference.
Also Rihanna's album sales are really poor. If you look at the top 50 selling albums artists of all time in the UK, you see Madonna (naturally the top female) at #4, while Rihanna is nowhere to be found!
Hell it took her her 7th album to get her first #1 album in the US.
- When Madonna's next album drops she'll break her tie with Janet for female artist with the most consecutive #1 albums in the US, with 6. She has 8 overall.
Which brings me to the fact that Madonna will TIE Striesand as the female artist with the most #1 albums overall in the US,it'll be her 9th.
Did you know Cher never had a #1 album in the US, I've always found that hard to believe.
On the UK charts, Madonna will unbreak her TIE with Rihanna, for female with most consecutive #1 albums. She will also EXTEND her record for solo artist with the most #1 albums when she score her 13th.
It's inevitable that she'll overtake the Beatles for artist with the most #1 albums in UK chart history.
- [quote] Did you know Cher never had a #1 album in the US, I've always found that hard to believe.
Cher's music career has always been up and down, commercially.
- (227) Learn how to write. When you have employ the word "relevant" 3 times in 4 short paragraphs, you need to go back and take a creative writing class.
NEWS ALERT: Relevant is an overworked cliched term. It is about as meaningful as "nice" or "warm-hearted".
The next person who uses the term relevant in any discussion will be castrated and forced to smoke his balls.
- Madonna's South American box office has been released.
Here are the top 10 highest grossing tours by femal artists of all time.
1. Madonna-Sticky &Sweet(08-09)-85 shows-$408 mil
2. Madonna-MDNA(2012)-88 shows-$296 million
3. Celine Dion-Taking Chances(08-09)-132 shows-$279 mil
4. Lady Gaga-The Monster Ball(09-11)-201shows!-$227 mil
5. Cher-Living Proof(02-05)-326 shows!!-205 mil
6. Madonna-Confessions(2006)-60 shows-$195 mil
7. Lady Gaga-Born This Way Ball(2012)-80 shows-$161 mil
8. Britney Spears-Circus(2009)-97 shows-$132 mil
9. Madonna(again!)-Reinvention(2004)-56 shows-$125 mil
10. Beyonce-I Am...(09-10)-108 shows-$120 mil
Queen Madonna has almost half the list!
- [quote]Where's Janet?
Living her life, happily engaged to a billionaire (which is making the news all the way from the UK to the USA), and planning her long-awaited 11th studio album. She's not playing to half-empty stadiums, throwing hissyfits at fans who already paid too much to see her, and being a general laughing stock for the world to point at. Oh, and she's also an Academy Award Nominee.
It's sad that you obviously spend your days looking up Madonna factoids on the 'net just to come back to DL and paste them. And guess what, no one is impressed.
I was doing so well at ignoring you, R253, but you asked for it
- Half empty stadiums? All 88 shows in stadiums AND arenas have been officially listed as SOLD OUT by both Billboard and now PollStar.
I actually like Janet and would definitely call her an icon and would love for her to make a comeback.
However some people on the DL can't deal with cold hard FACTS and call everything a flop just because they don't like the person.
- Can you imagine the numbers Madonna could bring if she did 100+ dates on a tour and went to places she hadn't been in years!
Imagine if Madonna would do a proper greatest hits tour with all her classics! The sky's the limit.
- R256, etc. has some serious issues.
- I hear Gaga's tour is flopping in ticket sales in North America like it did in South America? She has a total of 110 dates booked for her tour into 2013.
Surely since she's so big and has a lot more dates, she should be able to at least equal if not outgross the MDNA tour. Right?
Haha! I couldn't even type that with a straight face!
- [quote]She's not playing to half-empty stadiums
No, Janet used to play to half-empty high school gymnasiums.
- Her place in history is secure, and deservedly so. She has a gigantic pop artist who was a cultural icon and she sold lots and lots of albums. How much that matters to anyone will obviously depend on the person.
Her gay fans get a little carried away, as do her detractors. We get it fans, you love her, she represents some of the best times in your life, she's part of your gayness, so rejection of her is rejection of you. It will be okay.
- [quote]No, Janet used to play to half-empty high school gymnasiums
No, my dear. And that "high school gymnasium" line is as old as Madonna's crows feet-lined face.
- R260 don't bash Janet, she's an icon in her own right and I agree she doesn't get the credit she deserves.
Her Rhythm Nation moves to this day are being copied by the likes of the talent free Britney.
Janet is an amazing dancer.
And I'll always remember her as Charlene from Different Strokes.
- Prince was better than both those overrated corny bishes.
- Mmmmmmm, Prince.
- Living her life, happily engaged to a billionaire (which is making the news all the way from the UK to the USA), and planning her long-awaited 11th studio album. She's not playing to half-empty stadiums, throwing hissyfits at fans who already paid too much to see her, and being a general laughing stock for the world to point at. Oh, and she's also an Academy Award Nominee.
Janet's been planning that long awaited album now for 5+ years. And who cares who she is spreading out for on a bedspread these days? You left out that she hasn't had her photo taken in years, can't get on TMZ or included in any magazines, can't even get mentioned on a Perez blurb. She has been utterly forgotten, turned into a fat pillar of salt.
- [quote]Janet's been planning that long awaited album now for 5+ years. And who cares who she is spreading out for on a bedspread these days? You left out that she hasn't had her photo taken in years, can't get on TMZ or included in any magazines, can't even get mentioned on a Perez blurb. She has been utterly forgotten, turned into a fat pillar of salt.
I knew it was only a matter of time before your stupid old hunchback ass would return with the bullshit. I'm convinced you're just a glutton for punishment. And you're also woefully misinformed, my dear. Whether it's her body's return to fabulous fit form, or the haircut she got a couple of years ago, or her various movies, #1 NY Times Bestselling book a couple of years ago, or her sold out UCAP tour, Janet still makes headlines, and has not been only on Perez's site (though, I'm not sure why you gage this as some kind of admirable feat), but on TMZ as well. And yes, the recent news of her engagement was everywhere from Page Six in the UK to Billboard Magazine, and was made an exclusive in US Magazine--to name a few.
Go run off and plan that old man cruise, hunchback!
- [quote]You left out that she hasn't had her photo taken in years
How stupid are you? This was Janet in Cannes just a few months ago
- [quote]She has been utterly forgotten
Pfft, please. Surely you jest.
- Madonna will always be relevant in the music industry as the most commercially successful female recording artist but she fizzled out in the U.S. mainstream years ago. Her music failed to keep pace with the times and she allowed herself to become boring and contrived which is probably worse for her career than the shitty music she's put out.
The nature of Madonna's celebrity has always been to inject her influence into the cultural zeitgeist; to forever keep the public's attention fixed on her and now the public for the most part isn't interested in her anymore.
- Janet's last mention in the press, Idolator.com,
June 10th, 2008, soon after she was dropped from her label, Island Records.
Hey, remember that Janet Jackson album that came out a few months ago? Debuted at No. 1, swiftly dropped off the charts afterward? No? Well, apparently Island Def Jam, Janet’s label, is trying to put it out of its collective mind, too. During a conference call about her upcoming tour, she told reporters that there probably wouldn’t be another single from the album: “We started off with ‘Feedback’ and the label and myself haven’t quite seen eye to eye since the ‘Feedback’ single so they’ve kind of basically stopped all promotion. I’m trying to figure out a way to say this, but just to say it and to be quite honest, they just stopped all promotion whatsoever on the album so I don’t think you’re going to hear another single off this album.” I guess Island Def Jam has figured that 392,000 copies sold is as good as it’s going to get. (For its part, a label rep told Billboard that while IDJ hasn’t “experienced the results [it] would have liked with this new album,” the people over there “respect and support Janet.”) What happened, Janet?
Well, there was the dubious decision to dress up in drag as her brother, the last-minute SNL cancellation that was given over to Mariah Carey, a.k.a. her chief rival within the label’s roster, the neverending sex talk that was only briefly broken up by diet advice, and, of course, the still-renowned lyric “I’m heavy like a first day period.”
- For the old hunchback @270:
Janet's latest mentions in the press have been all this week and last, as word of her engagement spread like wildfire over the globe.
From the New York Post:
[italic]Janet Jackson is engaged to her Qatari billionaire boyfriend Wissam Al Mana, according to a new report.
Al Mana, 37, "gave [Jackson] a huge, expensive ring,” earlier in the year, reports US Weekly, adding, "She's afraid it will get lost, so she keeps it locked up!"
The report says the nuptials are set for this spring in Qatar, and that the celebration, "will cost millions.” "He is flying in all of Janet's friends and family on private jets,” a source tells the weekly magazine. "He wants to get a top chef to create a custom menu."
Jackson, 46, has been married twice before and split from hip hop producer and rapper Jermaine Dupri in 2009.[/italic]
Throughout 2012, she made headlines because of her dramatic slimdown, the documentary she's producing about the transgender community, the fact that she co-chaired amFar in Cannes, and various other subjects. When she attended Marco Glaviano's Supermodels exhibition in NYC last year, various reporters asked her about her upcoming album.
May 16th 2012 in NYC--her birthday.
- If she has an upcoming album, why don't you tell us who her label is?
- I love Maddona because she hasnt stopped trying. And you have to give it to her she is so limber.
- She's still the greatest female vocalist in the history of recorded music. There will never be another singer who can touch her. Suck that Gaga fans.
- R274 Madonna is the greatest female musical PERFORMER, but she's not really a vocalist. A vocalist is someone like Striesand, Franklin, Whitney, Celine, Mariah etc.
Madonna is a razzle dazzle entertainer/performance artist.
- R274 Do the words "Ella Fitzgerald" mean anything to you?
- Madonna and her Music will always have a special place in my heart.
- Is HaHa still peddling those $13.00 tickets?
- I was wondering if any groupie out their. Could actually tell me the size of Lars Ulrich penis?
just a girl in the world.
- I et shit.
- do you thats sad.