- The Beatles. End of thread.
- The Beatles first trip to the US in 1964.
- Joey Heatherton
- The phrase "always a bridesmaid" has never been more fitting for the forlorn figure on the right.
- Which inspired this.
- "I can't think of a photo more copied/paid homage to/parodied than this"
Who the hell ever "paid homage" to THAT? There was nothing "iconic" about some guy squeezing Janet Jackson's baseball-like breast implants. That picture was ridiculed and made fun of and it's easy to see why. It's STUPID.
God, there are so many "iconic" images of The Beatles, Elvis Presely, The Rolling Stones, Bob Dylan, Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin, Bob Marley, Jim Morrison, Led Zeppelin, the Sex Pistols out there. And in none have them were they naked in an attempt to be "iconic."
- For me it's this...
- 25 years after this photo was taken fans still flock to the site.
- Very, erm, musical, R9.
- I remember as a wee gayling in '93 being excited when the mother in HOCUS POCUS chose this as her Halloween costume. It's the iconic Madonna image I associate with her in her heyday.
- Trying again
- R8, calm the fuck down. If anything or anyone is STUPID, it's you.
First off, you ignorant twit, MANY people have paid homage to that image of Janet Jackson, from Kathy Griffin (recently) and Britney Spears to Kat Von D. and Mel B. in a recent breast cancer awareness ad. Even men have copied it. Adam Levine posed nude with his girlfriend's hand covering his junk from behind some months back, and he said in his own words that his photo was a "male version of the Janet Rolling Stone cover photo." And Brad Pitt, Guy Ritchie and Benicio Del Torro paid homage to it on the cover of Premiere magazine
If all of this makes you upset, then let me tell you how many fucks I give...
wait for it...
- For those of us who are 30-35 it might be this.
- Ok, I don't know why the link is not working. Maybe it's an Android thing. Google image Sadford Lads Club
- [quote]That picture was ridiculed and made fun of and it's easy to see why
Bitch please. In your wildly deluded dreams. That RS picture of Janet is STILL being emulated today. I swear, some people are too stupid to even give attention to.
- La Divina
- this was my first thought
- The Italian Stallion
- Which era?
- Any photo of Jack White's crotch.
- I think this image is the most copied and parodied.
- ITA r25 but I have a couple of entries.
- and this
- r17 beat me to Cobain.
A little back in time, I'd say this one, although I've seen much better pix.
- For those of us with musical memories that go back before 1970.
- more, more, more
- the Beatles playing at Shea Stadium in '65, iconic because it was the first stadium concert by a rock band and even the band was obviously thrilled over it, despite the beginnings of being "tired of touring"
http://www.google.com/imgres?q=beatles at shea stadium&hl=en&sa=X&tbo=d&biw=1920&bih=875&tbm=isch&tbnid=BGf4rOnHZlRyWM:&imgrefurl=http://www.nysun.com/arts/billy-joel-pulls-the-curtain-at-shea/81389/&docid=UPlhYG2bA4dehM&imgurl=http://www.nysun.com/pics/5
- that's just bananas!
- more bananas
- Bow down, bitches.
- Goddamn, R15 is a retard. That's not "homage", dumbfuck. That's PUBLICITY. That photo with Janet Jackson's fake titty-balls hanging out got a lot of press (I guess so! It was so very skanky), so others followed suit in hopes of getting the same sort of public attention. It has nothing to do with paying "homage." I guess you're just too stupid to realize that, poor delusional pathetic Janet Jackson fangurl that you are.
- Talkin' bout my generation...
- The Other Elvis
- This is the first image that came to mind.
- Frank with fedora and cig.
- Good one, R40. For my generation it's Cobain, but for all time, that might be it.
- R36, Stacey Q's got some yellow teeth! Couldn't they have photohopped it white or something? :-/
- This one, of course
- Beatles. End of thread!
- None of Elvis yet?
- Up thread, R46.
- Wrong again, r37.
- The Britneys and Christinas can only dream of being this.
- I saw this and then I tucked.
- Then I saw this and I thought: Drag Race
- I own this thread.
- CAT POWER!!
- beatles crossing abbey road
- Morrissey, obviously.
- More divas
- I'm sorry
- Tori Amos' infamous picture of her and a piglet.
- PJ Harvey - rid of me
- MADONNA- TRUE BLUE- HERB RITTS
- When I started art college in 2000, the sound of Cat Power's Moon Pix streamed out of every dorm room and a poster of the album cover on your wall seemed like part of the required curriculum.
- The discovery of two new planets orbiting the Queen of Soul Food.
- As a young pencil-dialer (on the Edge of 13) this was one I had on my bedroom wall:
- For me it was Elvis Presley, The Beatles and David Bowie.
Timeless all the above and strong images in music
- This one is pretty iconic.
- Elvis in his underpants being inducted into the army
- Frank Sinatra too...'The Voice'
- In case no one has figured it out, OP is the frickin' JanBot!
- Siouxsie and Robert Smith
- The Swan.
- I give you fish!
- Ladies and Gentlemen, Miss Grace Jones!
- Mmmm, the Aretha photo at R64 makes me hungry.
- R67 might not have worked. Try this one.
- I wonder if their wives knew.
- For those of us who know what will be playing on our iPods as soon as the Queen kicks.
- Elvis, Beatles Abbey Road, Bowie and this:
- Close the thread.
- NOW you can close the thread - sorry
- Aargh! R77 didn't work either! Those stupid small embedded images that webbie has forced upon us have ruined Datalounge!
It's Patti Smith's Horses cover. Can somone please post a pic, because I can't seem to do it.
- Let's get one thing straight, R81. Whitney do NOT do crack. Whitney makes too much to ever smoke crack. She don't do that. She don't do that. Crack is for po' people. Whitney rich. She don't do no crack, ok? Let's get that straight. Crack is whack!
- For some reason the PJ Harvey NME cover was considered really controversial, but is really famous in indie music; both Beth Ditto and Courtney Love have cited its influence.
- the 3 weird sisters of rock
- Universally considered the greatest album cover of all-time by a female artist.
- Grace and Janis
- Who is the woman in r38's link? She looks halfway familiar but I can't identify her and it's driving me nuts. I know it's not Pat Benatar.
- Nothing Commpares.
- Rolling Stones Sticky Fingers
- Velvet Underground's Andy Warhol banana
- John Lennon by Andy Warhol
- [quote]Goddamn, [R15] is a retard.
Pot meet kettle. Although I'd actually put you more along the lines of retarded AND psychotic.
[quote]That's not "homage", dumbfuck. That's PUBLICITY. That photo with Janet Jackson's fake titty-balls hanging out got a lot of press (I guess so! It was so very skanky), so others followed suit in hopes of getting the same sort of public attention. It has nothing to do with paying "homage." I guess you're just too stupid to realize that, poor delusional pathetic Janet Jackson fangurl that you are.
Take the cock out of your mouth and learn what homage is, dickhead, before you start blathering like the idiot that you are. When most of these people mimicked Janet's RS cover, they gave her props and said that her photo was the inspiration for it. When an original image/song/film is mimicked and copied through the years, that is homage--particularly when the person mimicking gives proper credit to the original.
I think your obvious (and hilarious) anger is less about the iconic photo itself and more about some deep-seated thing you have against Janet Jackson. Poor thing. Get some help.
- [quote]Who is the woman in [R38]'s link? She looks halfway familiar but I can't identify her and it's driving me nuts. I know it's not Pat Benatar.
It's Sheena Easton
- [quote]In case no one has figured it out, OP is the frickin' JanBot!
And your point is...?
It's good to know that I've got one more fan, but the fact that you trolldar'd me just to see who I am is REALLY special.
On another note, I'm loving seeing all these posts. They're all iconic (well, most of them).
- THE QUEEN OF POP
- This was the image most media used after Whitney Houston passed and I thought it was appropriate.
- What is a janbot?
I'm also enjoying this thread. But wondering why Janet Jackson inspires such rage here.
- I swear that I don't have a gun.
- Excuse me bitches.
- [quote]What is a janbot?
Just a silly name some of the Queens on DL give to anyone who defends Janet Jackson to people who stupidly downplay her place in music history
[quote]I'm also enjoying this thread. But wondering why Janet Jackson inspires such rage here.
It's simple. Talented, beautiful performer + bitter queens = jealous rage