- Cleopatra had massive sets. Lindsay's Cleopatra looks like it was shot in the lobby of a Days Inn.
"Oh, Marc Antn'y. How prompt of you."
- Well, so far, it sucks the big one.
- This stinks so badly, my dog went into the other room.
- Why are there no Razzies for TV?
- Liz: "We could go to da pool."
Dick: "I don't need a pool... I have a whole ocean... in YOU."
- LOL @ R3.
- That scene where he bought the necklace and then stuck her in a cab looked like it was shot in front of a green screen.
- Grant Bowler, who is playing Dick, is kind of cute in real life...in a 40-something kind of way, but the hair pieces in this are not doing his career any favors.
- Yes. They green-screened the streets of Rome and the ocean below their cliffside pool.
Someone on Twitter said the music sounded like it came from a lawn-watering scene in an early episode of "Desperate Housewives."
- Is she supposed to have a British accent? Because it comes and goes.
- "I'm BORED! I'm SO BORED!!!!!!"
- maybe if we are lucky Theresa Russel will go all Black Widow on her and put us her out of her misery...and ours!
- Grant Bowler is much hunkier and humpier than the real Richard Burton
- LiLo's raspy voice sounds like Daisy Duck
- Theresa Russell looks great. Lohan, on the other hand, looks like she could be playing Russell's mother.
- It's just a typical mediocre TV movie. All the talk about it being a camp classic is just people wanting to see Lindsay humiliated.
- The actor playing Richard Burton is giving a respectable performance, and he's quite cute. Lohan is not even trying, and doesn't even try to speak like Elizabeth Taylor. Liz had a half British/American accent, Lohan talks like she's recreating Mean Girls with a smoker's voice.
- It's embarrassing that, of the two of them, Theresa Russell comes across as a better actress.
But yeah, I wanted this to be campier. It seems like Burton is getting the majority of the focus. It makes me wonder if this was the original intention, or some on-set bad behavior by Lilo made them scramble to beef up his part.
- Now I get it - they picked Lilo because she's just as bad an actress as Liz was!
- "I will NOT hire Elizabeth Taylor! MISS FINE!"
- The review that said Bowler attempted to play a part while Lohan essentially showed up at a costume party dressed as Elizabeth Taylor was dead on. She's saying her lines, but there is nothing resembling a performance here.
- Is Lindsay playing Stockard Channing?
- She sounds like she hasn't breathed through her nose for 10 years.
- The Wiki post about the movie doesn't even discuss the plot. All it talks about are the production problems and Lohan's run-ins with the law.
- I think when all is said and done, the acclaim Lindsay receives, from both critics and the public, will surprise you all.
- What a shame because this could have been an interesting film. Who was the idiot who chose Lohan anyway?
BTW, R3 that is one classy dog! He or she sure can sense good or bad taste when he or she sees it.
BTW, sorry op, I'm not trying to divert the subject but there is something I must bring up. TMZ reported Lohan received a $100,000 check from Charlie Sheen to pay part of her IRS bill which she is behind paying. They said when they acted in the movie Scream together, they hit it off and became good friends. Uh? I wonder if they became more than friends with Lohan's reputation with men?
- Isn't there going to be a film done by Martin Scorsese on Liz and Dick? I thought he was working on a big production? I hope he doesn't choose Leo Decrapo! Leo stars in every part that is out there and its annoying and pisses me off!
- I think leo would make a great Liz!
- Bea would have shone as Burton.
- R25 = Lynn Stairmaster
- It's such a bore really. They are not even playing it for laughs. It could have been a camp classic.It would have been even better if they filmed it in Canada, the camp/corny factor would have been elevated tenfold.
Grant Bowler is too good for this thing. His Burton imitation is so-so BUT his acting is fine. Hohan should look for another thrupple and rich old man to bang. Her voice has none of the pretentiousness and elegance of Liz's and it still reeks of a Long Island Lolita's!
- I agree with R25. She's not doing a bad job at all. She's reminding people she can still act. And she truly does look like a star. Of course, who wouldn't with that lighting.
- I think she's doing okay. Until I got to these "Cleofatra" scenes. These suck. But before she was okay.
- R26 Maybe they shared a dealer.
- The glimpse of Lindsay as Liz as Martha in "Virginia Woolf" hinted at what might have been.
Love it that she obviously wouldn't wear, or be bothered with, the fat suit that would have made her look a LITTLE more like Martha.
I'm sure they won't recreate the appearance on "Here's Lucy," unfortunately.
- I don't get why people use Russell as the standard of bad acting. She's not bad.
- Was Liz Taylor's face three shades lighter than her neck/chest IRL?
- Did Liz chain smoke that much?
- They really must've blown the whole budget on Lohan. That Academy Awards ceremony looked like it was shot in a high school auditorium.
Anyone know how much the production cost?
- Grant Bowler is actually pretty good.
- Man, she just threw away "You can't afford to waste good liquor"...my favorite line from Virginia Woolf.
- [quote]They really must've blown the whole budget on Lohan. That Academy Awards ceremony looked like it was shot in a high school auditorium.
It looked like the awards ceremony at the beginning and end of "The Lonely Lady." I expected to see Pia Zadora as Jerilee Randall swan up on that stage and spit, "I suppose I'm not the first person to FUCK her way to the top!"
- And I agree with r17. Lohan "acts" like someone reading her lines off cue cards she's seeing for the first time. She shows as much connection to the material with which she's supposed to be convincing the audience she's Liz Taylor as an Eskimo phonetically reading ancient Sumerian.
Lohan is truly horrible and this movie will forever destroy the notion that she has any innate ability to act.
And she looks and sounds absolutely horrible, too. Like a broken down hooker the director fished off a street corner and plopped in the movie to pay off a losing bet.
- I agree, r40...he's also goodlooking and has a nice body.
- They didnt even attend the 66 oscars when burton lost to lee marvin. Grant fowler is not bad but deserves better than this bullshit. Lohan has to be the worst casting in the history of the medium of tv. Every one of her scenes she is beyond horrible and laughable!
- The producers knew what they were doing. No one would be watching this shit if they hadn't cast Lohan.
- Lohan is no Sherilyn Fenn.
- I hope she gets to play Norma Shearer next in, "The Norma Shearer Story: I Felated the Boss--A Lifetime Movie for May".
- Did anyone see the Inside Edition story about the fan who bought Liz Taylor's trailor from the Cleopatra shoot? The producers of Liz and Dick asked if she would lend it to their production and she did but it was returned completely trashed. She's suing. She had had it completely refurbished and it looked like garbage when it was returned. She said there was even a cigarette that had been extinguished into the forehead of a photo of Liz that had been in the trailer.
- Can I ever unsee this abomination?
- It'll be interesting to see how many people tuned out once they got a load of Lindsay, r46. With her now coarse features, over madeup unnaturally pale, bloated face, hoarse voice, and flat line readings, she made L&D so unwatchable that I switched channels ten minutes in.
- [quote]Did anyone see the Inside Edition story about the fan who bought Liz Taylor's trailor from the Cleopatra shoot? The producers of Liz and Dick asked if she would lend it to their production and she did but it was returned completely trashed. She's suing. She had had it completely refurbished and it looked like garbage when it was returned. She said there was even a cigarette that had been extinguished into the forehead of a photo of Liz that had been in the trailer.
That's the story that made me dislike Lohan.
- I guess she really did love Dick in the end.
- On the other hand, she would have been quite effective in "The Brenda Vaccaro Story."
- I watched a little after The Walking Dead. I turned on a Top Chef repeat instead.
- The colon doctor is on Big Muscle.
How appropriate. . .
- OK, the absolute low point of this shitstorm is her in the gray wig and seeing her fake the faint when she heard Burton died.
But the faint was worth the wait.
- Lindsay in 80s hair and drag hits the camp note this whole movie had been missing.
- R47 - Who is?
- Ok...so ya know whats kinda sad? Lifetime completely knew this was famewhorestuntwhorefantasmagoria for ratings and profits only...and Lilo thought it was a come back...reallllly sad....just catch the commercials of upcoming original " movies" ( casey anyhony with rob lowe??) and it is pretty clear....maybe she should embrace her new status...
- Loved the "Miss Fat Digits" line
And the one about her looking like a hippo
- This would have been soooo much better had the camp factor been upped; it's not like the intention here was ever to make a serious movie anyway. Having Lohan perform inside a fatsuit during Liz's fat years--and maybe adding a scene of her watching, with a steely eyes that turn to tears, Joan Rivers trash her on TV--would have been hilarious, especially if it had ended with her calling, "Elsa! Bring me the Oreos!".
- Lindsay sounds like she has stage 4 throat cancer. Her voice is lower than Demi or KAthleen Turner's from all that smoking and drugs.
- The guy playing Richard Burton is great. he sounds just like him, and he's handsome in a rough way.
- "I've heard the stories! ALL the leading ladies, EXCEPT Julie Andrews! Well, if she can resist you, so can I!"
The dialogue is just the best.
- R56, do you mean David Pevsner who plays Dr. Miller in the movie? Share his BigMuscle page link with us!
- At least when Grant delivered the "I don't like dumpy women" line they did a close up on Lohan's horribly bloated face and double chin. Sadly, both were real on her and not make up.
- R60, it would be sad if it appeared that Lindsay was making any kind of effort at all. But she is not. She's collecting a paycheck, and barely going through the motions. It wasn't as if Lindsay was trying her hardest to do incredible work but she was trapped in a bad movie. No, she's doing no work at all while she waits for the check to clear, and the filmmakers are using her for her notoriety. Fair's fair.
- Loved Steve from SATC in his one scene as screenwriter Ernst Lehman.
God, is he that hard up for work?
- It repeats in less than an hour, 1am EST, and a few times on Monday too.
- Can all of the trolls from Dlisted just fade away from here? Can't cope with the fact we don't click there to hear boring trollish mom tales. Open post this.
- Bowler as Burton was fine, given the material.
I liked Tanya Franks as Sybil.
Was LiLo directed to not even attempt the Taylor voice? She may not have nailed Liz's Anglo-American accent, but she might at least have tried for a little of the clipped cadences that made her so recognizable.
- "she might at least have tried for a little of the clipped cadences that made her so recognizable."
She doesn't know how.
This isn't exactly someone who has worked at her craft.
- I'm disappointed. It's bad, but not laughably so.
Glad I'm DVR'ing the Walking Dead so can watch real acting and production values after this mess.
- [quote]@kathygriffin The set dresser had a sense of humor.
- It was easy! I just had to stand around and pose! I didn't even have to lose weight!
- R41s line from VW is a perfect example. What a missed opportunity. My impression is that LiLo never watched VW, or any of Taylor's other films.
What does Lindsay think acting is, exactly?
- Every time "Richard" bought her jewels I kept thinking "why go broke paying for those? She'll just steal them anyway!"
- I also thought the hair, make-up, and costumes were dreadful: unflattering, cheap-looking, and probably historically inaccurate. But I need some hardcore design queens to advise us thoroughly on that last point.
Here's "White Diamonds" era Liz in mourning for Dick, but basically doing some bad Joan Collins DYNASTY drag.
- I smell Oscar. Emmy. Tony. At the very least, a Golden Globe.
Lohan had the nuance of Vadge in Swept Away.
A triumph not seen since Police Academy 6.
- Lindsay could do a passable English accent back when she made "The Parent Trap", when she was 11 or 12 years old. She's not even trying now.
And neither is her makeup artist.
- [quote] Is Lindsay playing Stockard Channing?
Ok, glad I'm not the only person who thought she looked like Stockard Channing doing a Liz Taylor impersonation. Although Stockard Channing would have been better.
Grant Bowler was a surprisingly great Richard Burton. He really sounded like him.
Lindsay as Liz in the 80's was a total riot and worth the wait.
- Liz wore a lot of sleeveless dresses in the 60's but Lohan is too high waisted for them. The colors (jewel tones) and basic styles were accurate but none of them fit her properly. And Lohan's gait is like a truck driver compared to the graceful, womanly movements of Liz Taylor. The Cleopatra hairstyles/wigs were horrendous, making Lohan look more like one of the Three Stooges than the Queen of the Nile.
- "I think 'La Loren' should stay in Rome. You heard me--that role is mine!"
The dialogue is just peerless.
- [quote] And Lohan's gait is like a truck driver compared to the graceful, womanly movements of Liz Taylor. The Cleopatra hairstyles/wigs were horrendous, making Lohan look more like one of the Three Stooges than the Queen of the Nile.
- W&W for r54.
- Where was Roddy McDowall, as her biggest gay BFF and cheerleader? Another missed opportunity.
- Where was Debbie Reynolds?
- Oh, dear! What happened to Mr. Sheffield! What the hell is Creed doing in this movie?
Getting old sucks
- "You DO know I'm shagging him senseless, don't you?"
- A zombie Elizabeth Taylor would walk with more grace than Lohan does. It's particularly evident after she galumps down the aisle at Burton's play and he croaks out how she knows how to make an entrance.
- How can Lindsay Lohan be as bad as she is? i thought as a teen actress people actually thought she was talented.
Grant Bowler, on the other hand, is great. if he were playing against someone who could actually act, he might be award-worthy.
- ...And starring Lindsay Lohan as Lizombie.
- "SCREW Sophia, [bold]I[/bold] will do it!"
- [quote]Did Liz chain smoke that much?
No, they added that to justify her raspy smoker's voice.
- Brad and Angie, this is your future.
- "A boat. You live on a boat!"
"A YACHT, Mother. There IS a difference!"
- "Be careful, Richard. YOU could stand to lose a few pounds!"
"Yes, but at least mine don't pool in my fingers... Miss Pudgy Digits!"
- "You put a spell on me, didn't you? I could have stayed on the stage, like Scofield!"
- I tried to watch this film ,and I couldn't stand it any longer. Everything was so bad A-Z! The scene which Richard takes Liz to the jewelers, and she acts like she is entering a jewelry store for the first time! really?! Liz never had jewels before Richard?! That is so stupid! The wigs were extremely horrible, and I'm sorry but when Americans do period films every woman in the film looks like she has the exact same hair style and outfit. Sorry, the British do period films as far as the costuming, 100% better. The British costume makers always nail it. I'm American btw.
Liz's trailer on the set of Cleopatra was so adorable! That is a major crime that they trashed it. I hope the owner sues their asses royally because that bottom of the barrel of them.
BTW, there were many inconsistencies in this film. When Richard went up to Liz and said, did anyone tell you you're a pretty girl, it was some years before at a poor party. Liz looked up at him and rolled her eyes at his comment and continued reading her magazine.Liz Taylor said in an interview, when she met him on the set of Cleopatra, Richard had a drink in his hand ,and he had trouble keeping the glass steady because his hand was shaky. She said to Richard, can I help with your hand? Also, when they were done filming Cleopatra, Liz gave presents to the crew. She gave Egyptian style bracelets. they make her out like she was a bit snooty. I think when fact based films are done on Frautime it gets corny and screwed up.
- The Coco Chanel movie they made a few years back (with Shirley Maclaine as the elder Coco) was pretty ridiculous as well, but it had the benefit of some real actors, and the sets and costumes were beautiful.
None of this was true of Diz and Lick.
- I didn't expect it to be as miserable as it was, but shockingly it was. A complete and utter bore. I was as bored as Lilo was in her acting.
- I thought Liz barely smoked at all after her pneumonia/tracheotomy crisis.
- Who the hell expected it to be good? It's on Lifetime, it stars Lindsay Lohan, and it didn't get a single good review. We were hoping it'd be so bad it's good. I haven't seen it yet so I can't say whether it managed that.
- BTW, sorry OP, I don't mean to divert the thread, but someone needs to make a thread of this insane NEW BOOK on Lizabeth Taylor by.... drum roll.... DARWIN PORTER! His claims about Liz are insane! check out the link.
- It didn't have much plot. They just kept buying each other fabulous gifts, and then he'd lose another Academy Award, and then she'd throw something at him.
- I remember Liz said one time, What can I say! I'm a chick who digs sex!
- Oh... dear. All over but the shouting.
- Just wait until everyone gets a load of the NEW JAN BRADY!
- Shouldn't she be getting fat for her fat period?
- No! No! It just ended abruptly - and now they've started playing it again! No!
Make it stop!
- The actress who played Sybill, Theresa Russell and Grant ruined this tepid telefilm. Why you might ask? THEY WERE TOO GOOD! They should have gone full throttle and camped it up to high heaven. Lohan was really abysmal here. What an artless,classless little tart of the highest order.She just sleepwalked through this thing like a prelude to a sex tape or an all night drinking binge.
It also suffered from severe budgetary constraints. It reminded me of that Chris Rock joke about The Blair Witch Project:" they said The Blair Witch Project cost 55,000 dollars to make .......someone must have put 50,000 dollars in their pocket!"
- [quote]The actress who played Sybill, Theresa Russell and Grant ruined this tepid telefilm. Why you might ask? THEY WERE TOO GOOD!
No one has ever said that about me in my entire life!!!
- We need a Theresa Russell thread.
- There are two Liz Taylor Barbie Dolls being released.
The White Diamonds one comes with a tiny perfume bottle!
Perfect to set in your tv tray as you rewatch the movie!
- Honey? this is the Lizabeth Taylor who was full of life Lohan should have projected on the screen!
- Why did "Liz"'s right cheek mole keep moving locations across Lohans face through production?
Did they not even have a production coordinator? In some scenes Lindsay didn't even have a mole, in others it was dark and very distinct.
- Why when Liz passed her friends said very little about her when they were interviewed like Carol Burnett, Joan Collins, etc.However, Larry king and Carole Bayer Sager said she was one of the most carrying and nicest people they ever met. They said Liz's assistant's mother was dying ,and Liz said to her assistant, bring your mother to my home and we will have hospice care for her here and others in her life.
- Burton's agent is played by Patricia Heaton's house husband....boy has he aged...the hell that man must have lived through.
- It was worse than bad. It was fucking boring.
I didn't even mind Lohan's performance. I mean I did, but if the script had been even passable, if the narrative drive had been interesting, if the production value had been halfway decent, well, none of that was the case so it doesn't matter.
Boring is worse than bad.
- Lohan just acted like she was hanging out at a set waiting for the bell to ring to collect her pay check and leave.
- Well Lindsay has exorbitant drug and car collision bills to pay, and it's clear now an acting comeback isn't going to happen. Guess she'll have to whore herself out to reality tv. I wonder where she'll be 20 yrs from now? There's only so much longer she can ride the "famous for being famous" train before it derails.
- no r60, I have seen plenty a Lifetime movie and this was just horrible even by their standard. LiLo doesn't even have a chance with the made for TV crowd if that's the sort of performance she intends to deliver.
Lifetime actors generally aren't of the lazy phoned-in variety, they just aren't very good actors (too much ham, or not reading the scene correctly).
Lindsey on the other hand made no attempt to read the scene at all, incorrectly or otherwise. I think she is the perfect example of a great child actor whose skills did not transfer into adulthood. It happens all the time.
- Don't we all, r53? Don't we all?
- It made "I Know Who Killed Me" seem like "Intermezzo".
- Is this him, R56?
- LiLo can't even play a drug addict convincingly.
- [R 114] A lot of horny straight guys who have watched Bad Timing with Art Garfunkel have said some wonderful things about you. Especially when they were pleasuring themselves to you in that film. I can't say the same thing about Harvey Keitel....he was playing an Austrian police officer with the worst New York accent since Tony Curtis' in The Vikings!
- all the reviews said it was even good enough for camp and that Linds acting is rusty to say the least.
- Saying that Lindsay didn't give her all or was rusty gives her too much credit. She has never proven herself as an adult actress. Who knows if she can act at all, there's no real proof of it. In comparison, Jodie Foster was more than a childhood star, she was a respected actor even at a very young age. I think Lindsay was more lucky than talented.
- Did you guys ever think a film about Liz played by LL, was kind of an insult? I did.
I know Liz was a drunk and a pill head but she was also a huge star.
Did they have Monty in the film or was it all just Liz and Dick? I never thought Richard Burton was attractive so, I didn't think I would be interested.
- My favorite Elizabeth Taylor clip from the Golden Age of Television.
- I would have to go back to "Hee Haw" honey Misty Rowe's portrayal of Marilyn Monroe in "Goodbye Norma Jean" to find a biopic script and performance as wretched as "Liz and Dick."
- Most of the budget seemed to be spent on cigarettes and glasses thrown by Liz when she got angry. I knew it would be crap after 2 minutes...so cheap and awful and dull. Was good to see Mr. Sheffield from The Nanny working- he is a really good actor.
- Its not a comeback! its a RETURN!!
- [quote] I wonder where she'll be 20 yrs from now?
Ever heard of Tijuana donkey shows?
- WOW R134. That's quite a clip! Never seen or heard of it. Currently sending it to all my friends.
- "I wonder where she'll be 20 yrs from now?"
- Liz was essentially a very nice woman. People who worked with her repeatedly commented on her kindness being one of her defining characteristics, and the fact that she was incredibly democratic on sets with the crews.
Her worst quality that she was narcissistic, which may seem paradoxical given the above. Everything had to be about her and center around her. But most people forgave that, because she could literally not remember a time when she had not been famous.
- Theresa Russell did NOT let me down whatsoever.
Russell: "Dick is dead".
She still has it!!!
- Liz wasn't stupid. She always made friends with the crew, insuring the best lighting, hair, makeup, etc. But if they liked her back, she must've been a genuinely nice person. Crews see all the greats up close.
- What R131 said. She's good as done as an actress, certainly as a lead in anything.
- Josh Groban's opinion via Twitter:
"OMG during half time I switched to 5 minutes of #LizAndDick and it's so awkwardly made, I feel embarrassed in my no-no place."
No-no place? Now you tell me if that guy's not gay.
Kathy Griffin's tweet was epic. "The set dresser had a sense of humor."
- Those bitches KLG and Hoda on the the 19th hour of the Today show were just horrendously rude and playing clips and then saying how horrible LiLo was and then laughing at her performance. Don't get me wrong Lohan was just aweful and I've already posted my opinion in this thread, but the way those two bitches went about ripping at her was just disgusting.
KLG: I've known Lindsey since she was just a little girl she's a close family friend. She clearly can't act and I think she's going to off herself because this was her last hope. But yes, she's such a dear friend.
Hoda: Wasn't that first clip just horrible. I'm laughing at how bad it was. Oh but lets play another one the one where they tell her Richard is dead. OMG isn't that just hilariously awful! She drops like a sack of potatoes! Who hired this girl? Oh, but the critics are being too harsh, it's not fair to Lindsey.
- KLG and Hoda, starring in a double feature of Mean Girls and Frenemies.
- I actually feel kind of sorry for Lindsay after reading R145/146 posts.
Lindsay needs someone to get her away from her friends and family. She needs to dry up, treat whatever mental/emotional problems she has and hone her acting skills. Whatever demons she has are exacerbated by mommie dearest and her attention whore father and she surrounds herself with the worst sorts of hangers on and sycophants.
- [quote]Josh Groban's opinion via Twitter
But he made sure to mention halftime, so we would know he was watching manly sports, dontcha know.
- No one cares "what Lindsay needs" anymore. THAT whole thing has been done to death for years and years now. This awful movie smeared dogshit all over the memory of one of the greatest stars from Hollywood's golden era. If the drug addled bitch Lohan did it for a paycheck (and it is not apparent why ELSE anyone connected with this drek decided to do it, considering the quality), she deserves whatever bad reviews she gets. Hoda and Kathie Lee were only laughing and saying what every DL poster has said, many of them on this thread! This may go down in history as, quite literally, the worst biopic ever made.
- The scenes where "Liz and Dick" were talking to the camera - was that supposed to be them in the afterlife? What was the point of that?
- Theresa Russell reminded me of the woman who played Magda on Sex and The City.
- Are you really surprised it stinks? It had two strikes against it from the get-go: (1) being a cheaply made Lifetime channel movie, and (2) Lindsay Lohan as Liz Taylor. Really, Lohan as Liz? You gotta be kidding. I knew it would be a disaster before it was made. Every crappy movie in creation is made by the Lifetime channel, featuring dullard faceless nameless stars who work on the cheap for bad hack writers who work on the cheap for cheesy bad networks like Lifetime and the USA channel.
Liz would likely be laughing while eating chocolates as she watched Lohan prance around pretending to be HER. And that dimwit they got to be Richard (DICK) Burton. Come on, now. Burton was a Shakespearean actor, this dum-dum couldn't act his way out of a paper sack.
It's all TRASH. Avoid it. Just watch one of Taylor/Burton's flicks instead, such as the trashy "BOOM!"
- You can watch Katie and Hoda here and it wasn't that bad
- I hated the scenes of Liz and Dick in their actorly black clothes and huge diamond necklace talking to the camera. As a previous poster said, what was the point.
The worst scene to me was when Liz said to that guy (who was never identified for that matter), "Get my car and my pills." Then smash cut to her in the hospital with two broken legs. Then, boom colon cancer scare. WTF
- [R35] That would have been a hoot. With Lohan as Liz, I guess the appropirate casting for Lucy would have been Jessica Simpson.
- Everyone knew that you never addressed Elizabeth as Liz, it was always Elizabeth, just like with Lucille Ball, it was never Lucy it was Miss Lucille.
- "Boom!" versus "Liz and Dick" - which is worse?
- Does anyone really believe Groban was watching the game and "switched at halftime" to check out Liz and Dick? LOL! He probably had a Liz and Dick party. And a dick post-party.
- Today on Morning Joe they played a clip and Mika B nonchalantly said "Ugh, that was terrible," before moving on to the next topic.
- I used to hope Lindsey would be OK and get it together but now...I wish she would never get a job again. An alcoholic/drug addict does not have to be the biggest assholes it town. She CHOOSES to be. I have no use for her at all and wish I never had to hear her name again and no, I did not watch Liz and Dick.
- r159 - that is why I love Mika. She is a Gold Star, Blue Ribbon winning bitch to her core.
- Apparently Lindsay is "devastated" by the horrid reviews, snide comments and ridicule about this whole trainwreck. Could she REALLY have thought she was doing such a fabulous job, in a fabulous role with a fabulous script?
I thought she was just crack-walking through it for a paycheck and didn't give a real crap, but she had tweeted that she was eager to hear what people thought - well, now she knows.
- Lindsay it a stupid twat who apparently didn't study or practice her lines (yea it's pretty obvious) and didn't take this seriously. She deserves all the ridicule she gets. What a fucking fool, her career is ruined anyway, this was just the nail in the coffin.
- R60, what the motherfuck is wrong with you? Ever heard of punctuation, dear? Are you 17? non-English speaker? Or just a moron?
- Let's all tweet Lindsay: "Jump!" Jump!" Jump!"
And cross our fingers.
- R56 and R127, please post the link of "Doctor"/David Pevsner's BigMuscle page, please!
- Misty Rowe seems like Dame Judi Dench compared to Lindsay Lohan.
- This has pretty much put an end on any speculation that she might have shot at a comeback if she gets her act together. What was on display was a temporarily clean, zombified junkie who showed up to pick up her drug money while going through the motions. And, yes, the emperor was exposed as having no clothes: that mythical "talent" was nowhere to be seen, just another fucked up, flash-in-the-pan former child star. Basically, the roadkill on the Hollywood highway of fame.
- I didn't think it was the disaster everyone is making it out to be. Just an unremarkable made-for-TV movie.
Given how lavishly Liz and Dick lived, it was a major mistake to film it on a Lifetime budget, with a script that seemed incomplete or unfinished.
Lohan was still fun to watch as a bitch on Ugly Betty. I think she still could be entertaining with a good director (which she certainly didn't have here).
Perhaps she'll have better luck with The Canyons. In any case, its seedy milieu is more up her alley than attempting to play Elizabeth Taylor.
- Fuck Lindsay Lohan. I hope she never gets work in Hollywood again. She got paid $750k for this film and didn't even bother to show up. She sucked up all the money while all the other actors and people behind the scenes got small compensation for their hard work. This bitch doesn't even have the self awareness to be embarrassed by her performance.
- Jesus, Lilo didn't phone it in. She used semaphore flags, it was that bad.
- "This has pretty much put an end on any speculation that she might have shot at a comeback if she gets her act together"
Pretty much? What was this now, her 827th chance at a comeback?
This woman has had numerous opportunities extended to her and has managed to squander each and every one.
- That's true R172, but like I said upthread, she's already done as a "real" actress and has been for a while. No one is casting her for her non-existent acting chops. All the roles she's gotten lately are ploys to cash into the train wreck factor. There's just no upside for a serious filmmaker with a real budget to have her on set. Why bother with LL when there are thousands of professional actresses ready to work?
- I'm going to watch this with my mom tonight. How much wine do we need? My TV converts 2D to 3D so I'm hoping it seems like she's trying to thrown glasses of Vodka at us.
- Watching it now. She should have at least attempted an accent or something.
- She made the actor who played Burton look like Lawrence Olivier.
Gawd, she was horrible. I didn't know Liz Taylor talked like a teenager.
- I'm watching it now and am still waiting for Elizabeth Taylor to show up.
- She could have at least watched a few ET movies to get some sense of the woman. She's just walking through it.
The guy playing Burton is surprisingly good. He certainly has the voice down, and really nails the part.
- I agree R178, he's better than I expected.
- I honestly have never in my life seen ANYONE so badly cast in ANYTHING compared to this. Ll didnt look like liz, didnt talk like liz, didnt walk like liz. Not even remotely. It was truly cringeworthy. No sense of timing or liz taylors larger than life essence. I got the feeling she was just playing dress up in the role. Id give her a few points for trying but she didnt even fucking do that!
- Stop making excuses for her. Addiction doesn't erase talent. She may have been a cute little girl but she's just another underweight, plastinated Hollywood skank now.
- Please, I want to see more of Grant Bowler!
- Those eyes!!
- Hey, swamp! Hey swampy!
- We've come a long way since the days of Judy Davis playing Judy Garland.
- r180 - I think she basically looks enough like here that had she done everything else you mentioned, she could have been great. However, ITA with the rest of your post.
- You really have to wonder where all of the Lohan loathing comes from. Just knowing what kind of father she has w/o factoring in the mother, would make anyone feel bad for her. It doesn't matter that she thumbs her nose at authority. Michael Lohan IS HER FATHER. Have some compassion. I suspect those who cherish in her downfall are the same people who have crappy families and upbringings. Just admit it. Their rational is "I've never had the chances she's had and I'm doing okay". Blah, blah. Anyone from a decent, upstanding family would considered themselves lucky by comparison with her being saddled with dysfunctional parents. If you can't find the compassion for her by thanking your own lucky stars just reveals that you most likely come from the same sort of trashy background and are feeling cheated by your own situations. How can you not feel sorry for her unless you're from pretty low down on the ladder yourself?
- I just don't see how anyone could be sympathetic to that horrid skank once she expressed her support for Mittens Romney. She's pure evil and deserves what she gets!
- I don't hate her at all. I actually know very little about her though I know she's been a mess for a few years. I think she's shown talent in the few things I've seen here in. But this sucks.
- She was so charismatic on the soap opera Another World. If only she'd retained all of the qualities that made her such a delightful child with such star potential:
- I must be the ONLY person on DL who enjoyed watching LIz and Dick last night.
I thought LL got better and better as the film progressed. No one else in Hollywood could match Liz for the turmoil and drama she had in young adulthood except LL.
Grant did a good job also.
I have seen both Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Burton in person and so many photos. I think LL really looked and sounded like Elizabeth at different stages of her life. Her eyes carried the weight of a young Liz who had so much drama and joy playing off her in adulthood.
- Well, R187 pretty much hit the nail square on the head, didn't he?
- [quote]The scenes where "Liz and Dick" were talking to the camera - was that supposed to be them in the afterlife? What was the point of that?
Yes, it was an afterlife, like a narration.
- Oh, please, R187 (Dina/Michael/LiLo's agent). She's not curing cancer or splitting atoms. She's just a mediocre actress who snorted her way through the amount of cocaine an inner city school teacher won't be able to buy working her entire life. A lot of people had highly dysfunctional families and worse childhood than hers and made something of themselves.
- "Michael Lohan IS HER FATHER. Have some compassion"
I did feel sorry for her when he said that he wouldn't attend Lindsay's wedding if she married Sam Ronson because it's "against his beliefs"
Apparently, homosexuality is against his beliefs, but having an out-of-wedlock baby with his mistress isn't.
Hope Lindsay has a big gay wedding just to piss him off
- La Liz!
- I don't feel sorry for her. Sorry, r187. I don't care how fucked up her family is, she is famous and has had way more chances to GET HELP than the vast majority of people who come from fucked up families. At some point, we all are responsible for our OWN lives. Period. No one had a perfect childhood. She should never have taken on this role. It is the worst move of her professional career. She or someone close to her should have steered her away from it. Lohan has ZERO sense of her own career, which is not sad as much as frustrating. She does not have the talent or temperament to be an actor, if she ever did. For her to get cast in roles that could have gone to the many, many struggling TRUE actors out there is frustrating.
- R194, who are you to judge?
- I'm the boss, applesauce!
- The whole time I pictured Debbie Reynolds and Carrie Fisher watching this mess, having a drink and a good laugh.
- Don't trash lifetime...rOb Lowe as Scott Peterson was awesome
- The so-called TV film only got 3.5 million viewers. With all the attendant hype from months back it should have done double that rating. Oh well they are always looking for fluffers in porn films or glory holes hos so LiLo will never be unemployed.....
- [quote]We've come a long way since the days of Judy Davis playing Judy Garland.
Or Nancy Reagan! At least the Reagans had the decency to be a camp riot. This was a mess.
First of all, Lindsay looked different in every take. Sometimes she had a double chin. Sometimes she didn't. Sometimes she had a mole. Sometimes she didn't. Sometimes she looked like L'il Kim. Her face has gotten so round from that weird cheek filler! Why? Liz always had a slender face.
If Liz Taylor was really like Lindsay Lohan made her out to sound and look, she would have wound up stripping at a go-go joint in South Philadelphia instead of winning two Oscars.
- Has Zsa Zsa made a statement yet?
- Lindsay's biggest failure was her VOICE. Liz Taylor had somewhat of a girlish whispery voice, yet Lindsay sounded like Fran Drescher imitating Kathleen Turner.
- [quote]Liz always had a slender face
Take a look at "The Only Game in Town."
- I think the famous line from Liz was "George can't afford to throw away good liquor on his salary." from Who's Afraid Of Virginia Wolf.
Lohan didn't even try to do a half-British accent that Liz had. Didn't Lohan even study Elizabeth Taylor's manners? Lohan did phone her performance.
- [quote]Lindsay's biggest failure was her VOICE. Liz Taylor had somewhat of a girlish whispery voice, yet Lindsay sounded like Fran Drescher imitating Kathleen Turner.
I totally agree! The only good scenes were the crying scenes. Lindsay is a good cryer, but didn't try to do Elizabeth Taylor's distinct voice.
- I wondered if Lindsay had to ask who Julie Andrews and Sophia Loren were during read-throughs, but then I realized she probably just thought they were made-up names.
- r206, Liz never had a face with cheeks as full as Lindsay's.
- No, the best part was where Liz faints when she hears that Burton's dead. Lindsay simply drops like a brick.
- [quote]No, the best part was where Liz faints when she hears that Burton's dead. Lindsay simply drops like a brick.
Agreed. That was hilarious. They should've reedited the movie so that was the first scene. She and Theresa Russell were like Andrea Martin and Catherine O'Hara in that moment.
- Liz's mom was about 90 when Burton died. The mom didn't seem to age.
- The true story is that Elizabeth Taylor fainted when she heard the death of Richard Burton.
- La Lohan as Liz, fainting.
- Get used to it fags! I'm playing Olivia de Havilland after she croaks!
- It went SNAP!
- All the laugh out loud moments.
- I'm bored. I'm bored. What? I'm bored.
- A good mother helps her talented child to quit while she's ahead.
- Theresa Russell looks like an old Chinese woman. Which reminds me, isn't it about time for a remake of Lost Horizon?
Question Me An Answer
- I agree with R197, don't feel a bit sorry for her.
Theresa Russell doesn't seem to have worked in years and THIS is what she decided to do?
- Mercury's Violet Eyes Made Jupiter Swoon Under the Neighbor's Porch.
Who remembers this from science class?
When I was young there were NINE planets, dammit
- Rough Tots Eat Kool Jell-O!
(Muffy Tepperman's mnemonic for memorizing the US presidents between Hoover and Nixon)
- One time Jenifer Love Hewitt Played Audrey Hepburn in a TV Bio on Audrey. Jennifer incredibly got Audrey Hepburn's voice down pat, and she did an over all superb job. If you haven't seen that film, please do.
Lindsy Lohan was always late on the set. For someone who was deeply concern about her career, she seemed like she didn't try hard enough.On the other hand, look who is talking when it comes to Kathy Lee Gifford laughing at Lohan! Kathy is a major joke! She is a loser too. She thinks she is this major staaar and all she ever did was being a talk show host. Kathy, bombed royally in Broadway, she couldn't get any movie parts, and the stage mother that she was, couldn't even live vicariously through her children who bombed in show business as well! I once read that Kathy Lee is, no joke, truly a psychopath who is mentally ill.
- The JLH Hepburn biopic was tedious. She was okay as Audrey, but looked absolutely nothing like her.
I don't think Lohan really even wants to act anymore. She seems to just do it for easy money. Cut to her selling shit on QVC or doing a reality show in the next few years.
- R226, I agree with you about Jennifer ,but she transformed herself as Hepburn working various other ways which really worked. I love Jennifer.
- [quote]One time Jenifer Love Hewitt Played Audrey Hepburn in a TV Bio on Audrey. Jennifer incredibly got Audrey Hepburn's voice down pat, and she did an over all superb job
Yeah, keep telling yourself that, JLH fangurl.
- R228, I just give credit when credit is due! Obviously you typed your comment in braille!
- In the NY Times review they sited the Audrey Hepburn bio-pic as about as disasterous as this one. Basically they said JLH sucked hard.
- I thought Love-Hewitt did a commendable job. The bottom line is, she tried. Lohan didn't put an effort.
- From my experience with addiction, Lindsay will never be able to churn out a good performance unless she completely dries out and literally stops all substance ingestion other than water and food. I think her brain is so scrambled from whatever she's on, it just needs to rest and rewire itself. All drug addict actors I know can't act to save their lives, even if they were once competent actors. Once they recover, they go back to normal.
- Her take on the line from Virginia Woolf "You can't afford to waste good liquor George.. not on an associate professor's salary!" had about as much impact as if she was ordering a burrito bowl at Chipotle.
- I agree, R232. I also think she was really out of practice. I was watching I Know Who Killed Me earlier in the day, and even though she was pretty strung out in that movie, she had been working consistently before it, and knew how to churn out a decent performance. I think she forgot that she needs to do more than show up and say the lines. There were times in Liz & Dick where it looked like she was reading off cue cards like she was back at SNL. She's so delusional and strung out that she thinks her minimal effort is better than everyone else's maximum effort.
I don't think this was just a paycheck role, though. I genuinely think she thought this was her way back to respectability. And if she couldn't do it here, then I guess there's little hope for the future.
- thank you r215 and r218 - that's all I wanted to see, so you've saved me from having to sit through this shitfest.
Has Lindsay responded to any of the horrible reviews?
- Lindsay is too busy giving blowjobs in exchange for 8-balls to comment on the reviews.
- [R 231] I didn't think Love Hewitt was that good at all. She at least gave a good enough go at it. LL on the other hand ,sleepwalked through this thing like she was doing a bad SNL skit!
I wonder if Lohan will now hook up with that very old man that Tara Reid was screwing.He's a gazillionaire and could probably fund all her future failed campfests!
- [quote]Mercury's Violet Eyes Made Jupiter Swoon Under the Neighbor's Porch.
I think it works pretty well without Pluto -
Mercury's Violet Eyes Made Jupiter Swoon Under the Neighbor.
- [quote]Her take on the line from Virginia Woolf "You can't afford to waste good liquor George.. not on an associate professor's salary!" had about as much impact as if she was ordering a burrito bowl at Chipotle
As everyone has posted here, Lohan just threw that line away. It was a famous line from "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf".
- I don't want to diss Love Hewitt, because she's a nice person. But, she was all wrong for the part of Audrey Hepburn...Lohan was worse!
If Brooke Shields was younger, this would have been a great movie!
- Incidentally, what did everyone think of the Sherilyn Fenn version? I never got around to watching it, but in the pix/stills I've seen, she bore an uncanny resemblance. Especially more so than Lohan.
- r241, Sherilyn Fenn wasn't bad, not bad at all. And, her voice of Liz was pretty good.
- "Every crappy movie in creation is made by the Lifetime channel."
I beg your pardon?
- [quote]If Brooke Shields was younger, this would have been a great movie!
Shields may not be a lazy crackhead, but she still can't act for shit.
- R228 was right, now Lindsay wants her own TV show! She thinks comedy is her strong suit, so a sit-com would be perfect for her! Thank you Charlie Sheen for encouraging this kind of crack delusion.
PS: Lindsay was supposedly "devastated" by all the bad reviews, but now has pulled herself together and is convinced that everyone except Daddy Dearest is insanely jealous of her for no particular reason.
- R245, that reminds me, does anyone remember why she was fired from Bette's shitcom 12 years ago? She only did the pilot, then was inexplicably replaced with someone else.
- This morning I was absently thinking about the movie and before I realized it I wondered how Dina Lohan felt about Theresa Russell's portrayal of her in the movie.
- Word is out she refused to do more than one take for each scene.
- Why did Richard Burton and hs brother, Evil, have competely different accents?
- "If Brooke Shields was younger, this would have been a great movie!"
Acting ability aside, Brooke is a foot taller than Liz and quite androgynous. Liz was tiny and utterly feminine, Brooke would look ridiculous trying to play her - at least from the neck down.
"Why did Richard Burton and hs brother, Evil, have competely different accents?"
Richard deliberately got rid of his provincial accent, because a plummy Royal Shakespear accent would help him rise in the world. His brother kept the original provincial accent.
- Not Cleopatra enough for you?
- Lohan won't get any more acting work due to her busted face and horrible fillers. She looks terrible on camera.
- R249, Ifor. Ifor Jenkins was his name. As R250 pointed out, Ifor retained his Welsh accent, while Burton adopted RP to rise to the top.
- Wasn't it crony in that scene which Lohan enters the living room wearing a slip and a drink in her hand and cigarette leaning against the wall? Gosh! that seems so familiar? Wasn't Liz dressed and posed in that same way in Butter Field 8? Way too corny!
I totally agree with R242's comment on 241's comment.
- In that last scene she looked like Leona Helmsley. And her faint upon hearing about Burton's death was the worst acting of the entire two hour slog and that's saying something.
Lohan had some star wattage and charisma when young but it has never developed and now without her looks she's got nothing. This was her standard SNL hosting gig performance, just with more wigs and cigarettes.
- That faint was the best part of the whole mess. It was like she suddenly fell down an elevator shaft.
- My latest dump bore more of a relationship to Liz than Lohan did, R241.
- [quote]That faint was the best part of the whole mess. It was like she suddenly fell down an elevator shaft.
- "I once read that Kathy Lee is, no joke, truly a psychopath who is mentally ill."
In other shocking news, shit stinks.
- Liz makes a special appearance from the Afterlife to weigh in on Lilo's performance.
- [quote] now Lindsay wants her own TV show! She thinks comedy is her strong suit, so a sit-com would be perfect for her!
She's right though, she is best suited to comedy. I finally saw the Liz movie, and she did utterly fail at depicting Liz, it came off as a little girl playing dress-up, but I was surprised I still thought Lindsay does have some talent. Or maybe charisma is a better word, because she has no range or true skill, she just plays herself. But I can see how playing herself made her a star. She's not wooden for instance, her face is very expressive. It's not enough talent to succeed on its own terms, she's completely dependent on good material, and probably good direction too. Which she's unlikely to get since she's ruined her career.
- I finally saw the Liz movie, and she did utterly fail at depicting Liz, it came off as a little girl playing dress-up,(...)
R261, you nailed it! That is exactly what she was like! You grasped at what I thought too!
- Missing the original broadcast, I DVR'd the rerun but it was replaced by a Christmas movie and has been taken off the schedule.
- You didn't miss much r263, unfortunately it was more boring than campy. The guy who played Richard was hot and his acting was fine. He was too hot and muscular for Burton though, who was a great actor but no beefcake stud.
- Theresa Russell looked amazing at the premiere.
- Check out this recent report 3 days ago Jan 9 2013.You won't believe the nerve of Lohan! She stole Lizbeth Taylor's bracelet from someone ,and Lohan was ordered to return it to the lady! Lohan is bottom of the barrel sleaze!total trailer trash!