- He was with Olivia Poulet for 12 years and then was seeing a Russian model for a while. Not gay.
- hmmmm he's better looking than Poulet could still be gay...
- [quote]It is always so hard to tell with the British....they all seem gay
Oh for fucks sake OP. Just like all Americans are fat and stupid yes? Especially someone as fat and stupid as you are...
- such hostility and homophobia r3....why assume being called gay is an insult?...They all seem gay since many are so educated and refined...at least the actors we see on PBS are.
heal your anger
- Unfortunately he's not gay.
- You're clearly brain dead R3.
- He's had a cock or two in his mouth.
- you just called yourself brain dead r6
- I've seen this in a couple of places. Is someone in his agency trying to make him seem more interesting?
He's definitely straight but more obsessed with acting than anything else, including relationships - the on-off with Olivia is a good example of that.
Mind you he has been out with the sister of an old school friend (his and mine) a few times this week. I've seen them at The Ivy and the Hampstead Theatre. She's a recent divorcee, so I doubt she's looking for anything serious.
- a divorcee!!! oh my!!!
- He was VERY chummy with Zach Quinto while they were shooting the Star Trek movie.
I'm just sayin' ...
- So we have a Harrow old boy in our midst R9. We are keeping good company these days.
Yes, he's very gay friendly but, sadly, totally straight.
- Bumping this thread, because Benedict looks insanely hot in the new Star Trek movie trailer. Damn...brawnybatch.
- gay face for miles
- I really wish he was but he's not.
- He is so fucking ugly that I'm glad he's straight. He looks like Pikachu stretched on the rack.
- He was interviewed together with his pal Rebecca Hall in the UK edition of Harper's Bazaar, and confessed that he found the playwright Tom Stoppard "terribly attractive." He was practically swooning.
- Has a small cock according to audience reports from his naked appearance in Frankenstein last year.
- He never dated a Russian model. That slutty Russian model of his is well-known for sleeping with a billionaire to get a model job. She also posts fame-whorish photos of herself on fb.
- Great actor, unfortunately not gay.
- I think it iis because he just works so hard that he doesn't have the time. I mean he has already got 4 films in the pipe line to do and it is only January.
- [quote]Benedict looks insanely hot in the new Star Trek movie trailer
It's another unnecessary movie that I will not be seeing.
- The Jewish Mothers of Datalounge return.
"Not married, huh?"
- Can you imagine if Benedict Cumberbactch and Engelbert Humperdinck had a baby?
- R23 what would you consider a "necessary" movie?
- Not true r19. Saw the play from back stalls and he has no reson to be shy. The monster is "born" on stage and for about 20 minutes or so he contorts his naked body into all sorts of positions. Would actually have preferred to see Johnny Lee Miller do that scene as they alternated in the role for the run.
I agree with you, well endowed and IMO a great stage actor.
- R27 R28, one of the performances was filmed and put on a very limited release but I'm not sure who was playing which role. It wasn't shown where I live but will get to see it at some point hopefully. I should like to have seen them in both roles to be honest. I heard great things about the play. What did you think R27?
- r29, I think you're thinking of the National Theatre Live broadcasts of "Frankenstein." Bennie and Jonnie Lee Miller alternated the roles onstage of Frankenstein and the Creature, and there were two broadcasts so you could see both actors in each role. I saw both and in both they had the actor who played the Creature in a modest little diaper during the birth scene. So you literally didn't get to see dick.
Bennie said recently in an interview that some of his "Into Darkness" costumes are so tight "you can almost see what religion I am."
- If you're interested in checking out Cumberbatch's naked body btw you might try the miniseries "To the Ends of the Earth." No genitals but you get a couple of pretty good looks at the Cumberbuns.
- Big hedge supporter. Huge fanny hound.
- "Hedge supporter", r32? Is that a euphemism or is he actually fond of shrubbery?
- R30 I wasn't much interested in what size either or their penises were. They won awards for their performances and would have loved to see the play and interested to see the differences in each role.
- Big Bush supporter. Huge pussy hound.
- You know, as an American, I think that these folks that bring entertainment to us on the screen need to be left alone so they can have "Life" like the rest of us "Poor Chaps" do out here in the real world. They have a job to do, like the rest of us, and would probably love to go home and relax just like all of us do every single day....Such foul language out here. Who cares what they sexual preference is.
Married for 13 years myself, I have watched alot of garbage come out in the news about actors. They really do have a hard life compared to the rest of us.
- Their alternating Frankenstein may be coming to New York. Word is that JLM wants to do it here.
- he said he wasn't dating that model, that she was a friend. He did date a model named Anna Jones while he was doing Star Trek, and he also dated Lydia Hearst.
- Anyone have any gossip on who he is dating? Aside from Alice Eve's Instagram insinuations that she's on his dick there is literally NO gossip about this mans love life. It's really surprising based on how high profile he is becoming and how often he's getting papped now.
He also comes across as a really squeaky clean and scandal free. I kind of wish some kind of shocking revelation or smutty scandal would come up
about this guy. Anybody have any behind the scenes info? Is he really as good guy and vanilla as he seems or is there a darker side?
- R3/6 is a simpleton who talks to himself in threads, which also makes him a loser.
- [quote]Oh for fucks sake OP. Just like all Americans are fat and stupid yes? Especially someone as fat and stupid as you are...
You type British and gay.
- [quote]Can you imagine if Benedict Cumberbactch and Engelbert Humperdinck had a baby?
Because you feel the name is the odder occurrence?
- He just officiated at a gay wedding
- Let me break Cumberbatch's love life down for you:
12-year relationship with actress/writer Olivia Poulet
He dated Lydia Hearst (model) after the breakup with Olivia
Dated Anna Jones for little over a year (artist)
Rumored to be fuck buddies with long-time friend Alice Eve but no longer, they are just friends now
Rumored to have had an affair with his co-star in "The Last Enemy"
From the pictures that surfaced this weekend he is now banging Russian model, Katia Elizarova, she was in Ibiza with him
and he got papped this weekend leaving Cirque le Soir in London after a night clubbing with a tall redheaded woman
So I don't think he is gay, just gay friendly.
- And homely as can be...
- OP, many people don't marry. I know in your day they did or they were queer.
- Benedict Cumberbatch and his heterosexual cock must be stopped!
- What's more of a deal breaker, even if he's straight? His name or his looks. Both I say.
- So this is the new old thread? Right! So has anyone been to Tring?
- Back to the pics of him kissing the Russian model, I hope he's doing a better job of kissing in private cause he still looks like he has no idea what the fuck to do with his lips. Even from a distance it looks awkward and like his lips landed somewhere between her cheek and the corner of her mouth..
- Maybe he's one of those people who simply doesn't kiss anyone, male or female.
- The redhead was definitely identified as a long-time friend already by the press. Same drama school. He looks drunk, she looks like she's keeping him upright.
Not sure why casually dating a model (or flirting with, they don't look like a couple tbh) makes him a douche though? He was linked to her once already years ago and she isn't super young (26 or 27). If she set him up pap-wise, he'll just learn anyone can turn on you, no matter how long you've known them.
Can't see how he'd do anything other than casually date with the ridiculous amount of stuff he's doing.
- He's not that drunk. He's obviously had a few but he's not smashed.
He didnt need holding up.
- Oh my god R53, is your head so far up this guy's ass that he's not even allowed to be drunk, and on his fucking birthday? He's fucking smashed in these photos. Go ask the therapist you desperately need to help you deal with that.
- @53 I can't tell. it was reported they were kicking back vodka like it was going out of style. Wonder why she's so clearly annoyed if it was actually a planned PR play.
@50 looks like he was trying to kiss her on the cheek and she moved.
He probably isn't dating any of these people. Wouldn't be the first guy to have female friends.
- oh wait he's drunk as hell in those redhead pics.
- Jesus, 54.. Calm the fuck down.
He's not on a pedestal and there's nothing remotely wrong with getting hammered, I am just saying he's not smashed off his face as some people are suggesting. A lot of the bleary and stunned expressions are from the glare of the flashes.
And the papers report bathing in vodka and cristal.. Blah, bla.. But since when have the tabloids ever been worth listening to?
- I think it's you who needs the therapy, @54...
- R57 Might be you who needs to calm down. You seem a bit hysterical. Anyone with two eyes and a brain can see ole Benny's blotto in those pics.
- I had a flirty friendship with this guy who was very controlled and anti PDA when he was sober but after a few drinks he would go for a bear hug every 2 seconds & hold hands as he got a bit territorial. Hand holding means nothing.
- Like this dude has time for a gf..he works nonstop I say let him have fun..
It does seem like the model is the one whod put these pics out more than BC I think. Its more PR for her since no one has a clue who she is. And how weird theres more after the pics with the red head who seems more like a friend. I have guy friends who hold my hand after drinking/partying and ive got heels on..maybe that's what hes doing
Doesn't seem like a BC thing to do to put pics on vacay out..he seems real private and is ok with pics being out if he knows theyre being taken
- R61. "Like this dude has time for a gf..he works nonstop I say let him have fun.."
Isn't that what all the closet gays say when they are "confirmed" bachelors?
- Fangurls will rationalize to their dying breath r62.
This pic is all kinds of awkward, it's almost as bad as the pics of Cavill with his beard. Is it just bad timing on the part of the photographer, is he closeted, was it staged even if he is straight? What's the deal with Bennie?
- 63, I totally agree. It's one of the most awkward kisses I've ever seen.
- Are we using this now the old thread has reached 600?
Someone posted a question on the old thread about Tring - yes, if you're reading this one.
If the model set him up, she may have been trying to turn a friendly cheek kiss into something bigger and more newsworthy. That's not a private moment, there's a lady standing right there.
Hasn't he known this model for awhile? It looks like she's the one going after him in all these pics rather than the other way around. He always struck me as naive and possibly thought the model was a real friend.
- R592 [From other thread] I agree that his fan base could be put off by the promiscuity. He's been linked to 3 women (including Alice Eve) in the past week alone! While men may say, "Let him have his fun," for most women that's a huge turn off.
But I think a bigger problem for the fans is the Russian model. They want to believe that "their" Ben is above trolling for models -- that's for shallow douchebags like Leo D. and Adam Levine. It's got to come as a shock that he's not. And I know she's 26/27, but, Christ, she looks young. He looks like a perv.
I think they want to see him with an older, classier, more average-looking woman -- you know, like the redhead at Le Cirq. Those photos weren't staged. Not at all.
Uh oh. The fangurls from Tumblr have arrived. "No he's not fucking models, he's just naive."
Nope, not even what I meant, thanks for the rudeness though. I could care less who he fucks.
He's apparently known the model for years and may not have thought she'd set him up for a PR stunt he had to clean up after. Same with Alice Eve. Supposedly, according to coworkers, he's trusting as all hell.
- [@67] The problem with the La Cirq photos is that they're not staged right at all. They don't look together. He looks shitfaced and she looks upset. She was at that party though, there's random pics floating around from inside.
- He has no jaw!
- [quote]He has no jaw!
- R59 Welcome to DL, sweetheart!
He is 37, with almost 20 years in the business, with two parents in the business, with their friends in the business, with his friends in the business... well, you get the picture. I am not buying this "He's naive! He's trusting!" bullshit. It's just a fangurl's excuse for any behavior that doesn't fit her image of Ben -- an image he helped create.
That being said, I do believe it was the model who was behind the Mirror pictures. But, as I said in the last thread, that's what you get for playing with famewhores.
- You cruel bitch r72, but that's funny nonetheless.
- Opps, I meant R69.
It's certainly possible he trusted the wrong people. People with years in the business fuck up all the time. Doesn't change the fact he's fucking a model or excuse anything, though, so not sure why you're linking the two. Same end result.
This is same the guy who believed in fucking neutron defense so much it took the cast a day to convince him it was fake. That's embarrassingly dumb.
- So. There's a blind item on CDAN today about a B- moving to A-list actor who pays for sex because it's "so much easier than actually having to care" -- $25K in the last week alone for his vacation. People are guessing BC. Well, that would explain the awkward kissing. And, wow, is she expensive.
Seems too obvious for a blind item and id be really surprised if she was an escort.
- Ha r77 I hope it's him.
- I pray that Enty reveals this blind item and that it is Benedict. I can't even imagine the hilarity that would ensue!
- 59... Stop making a that of yourself No, my post wasn't remotely hysterical ..
I don't say "just sayin' ... It's annoying and douchey.
- Enty posts 100% fake entries. Someone just posted this article on Enty as Benny's IMDb also believed it was him.
- And somewhere in London, Tom Hiddleston is alternately cackling and crying into his soup!!! LOL!!!
FTR The blind item may be made up based on all the pics and details floating around, but I have NO DOUBT that Benedict has paid for the discretion of an escort at some point. Most rich, famous men who don't want to/don't have time to deal with a relationship have. Hell, a fair number of posters on DL have paid or been paid for sex. It's a totally reasonable explanation for this whole mess. That second set of pics were likely strategically released by Katia's PR precisely because they didn't want her to look like an escort going into her new play. They can't afford that kind of speculation if she's trying to have a legit acting career, but it may be too late, because if Kate Moss implied Katia was for sale, then it must be common knowledge. I mean, Kate's not exactly the poster child for admirable moral character.
- Interesting R83 It's possible I suppose.
- [quote] I could care less who he fucks.
I could NOT care less. NOT!!
- Escorts? Good idea.
Escorts with acting aspirations? Bad idea.
- Poor Cumberbatch, if he had chosen an average woman to spend his week-end with, instead of a beautiful, blonde model none of this shit would have happen. Jeaulous bitches.
- Wait isn't BC friends with this girl?
- I decided to read up on the Kate Moss vs. Katia Elizarova thing and LMFAO all of the comments about Kate snubbing Katia came from Katia herself. Who the fuck makes public comments about being snubbed? She sounds like a middle school girl who is offended that she wasn't offered a seat at the "popular table". Is this really where Benedict is sticking his dick? If I were him I would have my people putting out denials left and right about hooking up with this trick..
- At least he sticks his dick in someone who's beautiful.
And the comments on social networks are usually superficial, so nothing new.
- 87 ...
You know what the biggest giveaway is to the fact that you are the same troll who posts these ridiculous and moronic messages all over this thread under various pseudonyms?..
The fact you cannot spell JEALOUS. Gives you away every time, douche.
Try harder, dear fool...
- Aah, what a lovely sentiment that is @90. As that's all that really matters, isn't it?
And who says romance is dead?
- And you are the jealous frau troll who's trying to trash a model just because she hang out with your virtual boyfiend.
I don't need to use "various pseudonyms" SINCE there are various persons who have understood the kind of unhinged, envious woman that you are..
And put an R before the number for referencfes, it's not that difficult.
- Hahaha. You looked it up this time?! Well done, you. Gold star.
I couldn't give a fuck about some model, I've not even mentioned her, you utter goon.
And do I need to put an R before your number? Is that for remedial?
Because you can't seem to spell reference, either.
Y'see..you did really well with the jealous spell and now you've gone and ruined it. I'm taking the gold star away and giving you a dunce hat instead.
Go and stand in the corner and don't play with yourself while you're there, it's rude.
And I'm putting your number down here, for referrerences .. Just to annoy you...
93 .. And no R..
- Spelling or not spelling you are an envious, unhinged frau.
Are you the FionaAllan who tried to sell her BS on IMDB but the women there are intelligent enough to call you out for the mental case that you are at once?
And since you couldn't spit your shit on IMDB you came here, instead. Bad move.
- R94. If you put R before the number, it becomes clickable. Other users can see the post you're referring to and follow the conversation better. Jus' sayin'.
- Um, little friend I fear even your special language is too much for me to grasp now.
You're going to have to translate..someone? Anyone here speak shit eating twat freak? Anyone?
- That's ridiculous, R91. I've also written multiple posts on this thread and the last. What am I gonna do? Put on every post, "This is R587, and R588, and R598, ..." and so on? Sometimes I have done that, if I'm responding to a particular post, but most of the time, I'm just anonymous. That doesn't mean it's a "pseudonym"; we're all anonymous here. Jeesh, you new people here are driving me crazy.
- Erm, OK. I'm just going to crash this ..interesting.. convo now.
I was led here from IMDB and Fiona is actually one of the few sane and rational ones on there. I am hazarding a guess that this person who speaks with such passion on the ways of 'Frau' is possibly Ellen? Now THERE'S A LUNATIC,
Fiona didn't lie about anything at all and at no point whatsoever did she come across as unhinged. WTF? Ellen is clearly a mentally challenged harpie who spends her whole life obsessing about BC online and attempting to throw shade over other people for no reason whatsoever. Fiona wasn't called out for anything at all? Ellen attempted to twist her words into something that they weren't and failed embarrasingly so.
There's been a few people in communicate with on PM hwo have stopped posting or simply lurk because of her. She's crazy and pretty vicious too.
And I can't see why anyone besides Ellen would be mental enough to bring up that situation on here. So .. *waves* Hi Ellen!
Actually, you could also be MaryLou..
Hmm, another troubled soul, that one.
- Ssh , 'anonymous again', nobody is talking to you.
I think the problem is more the blistering nutter who talks about jealaous fraus a lot but pretends to be multiple people and often has conversations with their own self under these multiple gimp guises.
- Haha, nah I'm plumping for MaryLou being she of the jealaous Frau.
She was running wild over the board today
- R100 I know, but like I said, these new people ARE driving me crazy. This is actually the only thread about actors I've posted to on DL because I think the guy is a terrific actor. I was hoping to have some intelligent discussion about his career choices and PR -- and good gossip! --without the rabid fangurling ("He's not like that!" "You're using bad language!" "You're jealous!" "Am not!") My bad.
And, yeah, that's the point of troll-dar. Call 'em out if they're responding to themselves to look like others agree with them.
- "such hostility and homophobia [R3]....why assume being called gay is an insult?...They all seem gay since many are so educated and refined...at least the actors we see on PBS are.
heal your anger"
You are also missing r3's point. He wasn't comparing being gay to being fat and stupid. Nor was he saying you were insulting Brits by saying they all seem gay.
Clearly, he was saying the painfully obvious. That to broadly generalize what being gay is (just as being educated and refined is far from exclusive to gay people, many gay people are neither educated or refined (look at all the ignorance and bad manners one sees here on DL! - and the same is true for the English) and to broadly generalize an entire people, whether demographically based on their sexuality or nationality - whether for good or for ill - is just dumb.
- R99 You're clearly Fiona talking about yourself. Again. I'm Ellen and just got the heads up from a poster on IMDB that you were taking my name in vain over here. So no I'm not the "frau". It's obviously you. And I invite anybody who is even remotely interested to compare our posts on IMDB. I don't think it will take to long to spot which ones the nutter.
You've bored everybody rigid on there with your ridiculous posts which are the textual equivalent of "fingers in ears la la la, I'm not listening" because you cannot accept the fact that BC might have a girlfriend who isn't you. You've been Sussex out for the obsessive fangirl you are on there and now your trying to drag your delusions over here. People of datalounge you have my sympathies. Sorry for that interruption to proceedings but I won't stand for my name being trashed like this.
- For Sussex read sussed. Sorry. Flippin' iPhone predictive text.
- Oh Lordy, I wondered how long it would be before this happened.
For starters Ellen, you clearly have been scouring this board yourself because it's about BC. You spend every waking moment talking about him online - do you even work?
No, I'm not Fiona. I don't care whether you believe that, but that's the truth.
I'm a lurker on the board and have been on the board for a year.
I haven't posted because, quite frankly you and a couple of others are nasty and peculiar. You spit venom as soon as anyone says something you don't like and I speak to three people via pm who think the same. These are either people you've driven off the boards pr those who still post but are just plain creeped out.
Fiona's posts were fine and you have made a right arse of yourself by trying to pretend otherwise. There was no indication that she has a problem with him having a GF. And everything she said was perfectly clear. Why are you telling people to compare posts? It's really, really weird. Her posts are quite clear, whereas yours on the other hand..
And yes, it will be clear who the nutter is, Ellen.
I never seen anyone online who attempts so strongly to make others look so bad when they are so clearly in the wrong.
You are literally trashing people without reason and the evidence (the postings) are laid out for everyone to see. And that evidence is that you are not only incredibly troubled but a nasty piece of fucking work.
You may think this is Fiona, IDGAF. The reason I'm saying all of this has nothing to do with her. I'm not defending her, I'm just sick of your insanity.
And as for "I won't stand for my name being trashed like this" ..
Hahahahahaha. You are kidding me?
You are one scary, scary bitch.
Whoever posted the links to DL on tumblr, Celebitchy, IMDB, etc. -- karma's a bitch.
(I tagged all the posts associated with R97 for Flames & Freaks, so hopefully he/she will be banned soon. Wish we could send this whole thread to F&F hell. *sigh*)
- [R97] Why are you so bothered by this thread?
Seriously dude, there's plenty of other threads on DL, I don't understand why you're crying over this one.
Unless you're desperate to speak quietly of Cumberbatch's thespian talent, of course.
- Ah, nutsacks, I meant that previous post to read [R107], my bad,
- So, back to Benedict...
Has anybody heard anything else about the movie in which he's supposed to be portraying Alan Turing?
- R106. Yes you are Fiona. And you are proving everything I have said about you by the content and manner of your post.
- Ellen, you need to stop it. Now. Is it not enough that you've openly made a complete fool of yourself on IMDB but now you're doing it here.
You can address me as Fiona all you like if it makes you feel better about your own lunacy but the fact is several people are sick of your crazy and generally vile actions. I just hope one day you leave the board and perhaps I can happily start posting on there. Doesn't seem overly likely seeing as you seem to be on there every waking moment.
Now go away, you shameful, crazy woman.
- R110 Hes supposed to film it I think either right before Crimson Peak..which I think means this fall since I believe CP starts in Feb 2014, so right after he finished Sherlock, or he films it right after this summer
- What the fuck is going on here?!
The rabid fangurls found DL. They paid their money (and can say what they want, of course) but I wish they hadn't.
What I don't understand is why they took it over here from imdb message boards. Can't they say what they want over there for free? (Don't know. Never been there.)
- I hope the blind item really is BC. I'll get a huge bowl of popcorn, sit back & enjoy the hilarity when his fangurls dive deep into the vast ocean of denial to save the reputation of their prince charming.
- What has this dweeb done to inspire this level of insanity in the seemingly already mental Frau and Fraulein interweb population? I don't get it.
- R110, the production company has given September 15 as the start date of filming for The Imitation Game, so right after Toronto Film Festival ends.
- The fan girls are here because they actually think there are insiders here. Lol! I suppose we should take that as a compliment, but honestly, do you think people who actually know anything about your internet boyfriend are going to spend time talking about it here?
- [R113] How about Crimson Peak? Is that still slated for a Jan production date? I heard Del Toro loved the idea but not the exact script he got so it needed a massive overhaul before filming.
- R120 Maybe around Easter then....
- So, to sum up, nickname Fiona Allan and real name Heather: you're clearly a person who needs help since you answer to yourself.
You've the prophile of the typical stalker (you hate that model just like andy cooper's stalker hates Ben) and I hope that people have understood that all your insinuations about that model - especially the whore one - are the product of a mentally ill person.
Sorry Helen if I caused you any trouble, you really don't deserve it.
- R118 TY. So hes going straight into Turing after Sherlock, then CP right after, busy boy..don't blame him one bit for FWB or a paid "friend"..do what u gotta do to get laid BC lol
- Uh-Oh. This has turned into ZZZZ City all about Fiona. How deadly.
- R123. Other busy actors find long term girlfriends. Why not him?
- R125 IDK. Maybe going on and on about wanting to get married and have kids have thrown some women off that aren't wanting that or ready for that or hes seeing what newfound fame can bring him..or hes gay.who knows lol
- R125 I think it's either cause he is just so damn busy or (more likely) that regardless of all of his past talk about how he wanted a partner/ wife he's basically a dude and therefore is enjoying banging young, sexy models cause he can. And if he is able to do it without having to enter into a relationship or commitment, why not?
I think that what his rabid fan girls need to realize is that a person can run their mouth all they want, but pay close attention to what they do. He could have had a girlfriend and been in a stable relationship by now but he has chosen not to. The whole image that he has been carefully been cultivating for himself the last few years is going to be harder and harder to maintain now that he is famous enough to have paps hiding in the bushes all the time now. Most likely there has been a parade of women in the last couple years, only no one knew cause he wasn't a pap target. It's gonna be interesting to see how his fan base feels when he is seen with more women.
- Don't think he's gay but I suspect he's a bit awkward around women.
- Agree with 128. It's got to be odd to go from being in a relationship with the same woman for 12 years to being single and a white hot commodity.
- I could understand Ben using hookers for convenience's sake but I would find it hard to believe he'd go around in public with them.
- [R127] A little of both? Not linked to a string of models YET, just this same one twice and one other who was closer to his age years ago. Little too soon to call him "Leo", lol. Not going young enough yet.
Don't get me wrong, there's been women--no clue why his fans are so delusional, he's admitted he dates--but not model types (people have gotten sneaky pics of him out around London on dates.) Mainly other industry people, what I'd expect.
Hell, he should stick to FWBs. Just by looking on the projects brought up on this thread, he's beyond what I'd call just busy. Between filming, promos and flying--these filming locales are all over--he's gotta constantly be on the move.
- R131 who is the model that's close to his age that he dated years ago? The only other "model" I recall is Lydia Hearst. Also, I've never heard of any sneaky pics being taken of him on dates? I feel like if their had been this massive "OMG Ben sighted with WOMEN!!" Situation never would have happened.
I was referring to Hearst. Sorry, I didn't mean they were the same age or anything, just that she's older than this Russian one, so closer to his age than KE.
There were sneaky pics that popped up here and there on Twitter. He was seen out with a divorcee too, had a set job (sorry, can't remember what she did. Makeup, maybe?). He said he was dating too, so IDK, no one flipped out about that either.
- The British really don't all seem gay to me. Cumberbatch doesn't.
Though there are a few British actors with girlfriends (that aren't blatant beards) that seem gay to me.
- So...he'll really be playing Alan Turing? I look forward to the love scenes.
- LMFAO no one looks forward to Benedict Cumberbatch's love scenes.
- I am sick of seeing his smug face everywhere
- R133 they only flip out if anything is deemed "exclusive" or if tabloids give them a bf/gf label.
Sounds like they need lives, they should take a page from his book, lol.
Seems awkward in general. Not very confident in most of the interviews I've seen, he's a nervous type.
The Imitation Game is finally getting made, I see. Good, I thought it was going to be one of those scripts you see on the Blacklist that just disappear. Warner Bros. did nothing with it for like 2 years.
I wondered that too. But regardless, fans don't like the model -- whether she was for fun or for hire.
Whether or not they should care is irrelevant. The fact is they do, and feel betrayed because they fell for the "carefully crafted" nice-guy image he put out there. Not sure the newly-minted "lothario" image is gonna help. Waiting to see. Can't imagine the prep he'll go through before his next interview...
- He's going to be very busy work wise so selfishly as I love his acting so much I want him to focus on that for now and give the best performances he can. He might not be ambitious but I am for his career. Get some fun where he can but dont flaunt it because the press will have a field day and thats bound to mess with his concentration.
- To those who want to talk about Benedict's career. Do you think he's got a Marvel role lined up for next year?
- I bloody hope not. I hate the Marvel movies.
- Meanwhile back in the "Dates Of Our Lives" soap opera, the Russian model's denied she and Benny boy are dating. Says she has a boyfriend and Benedict Cumberbatch has just been giving her acting advice. No sign of redhead. Maybe she'll be in the next episode.
- The thing is, no actor stays on top forever. A little restraint now will keep things from spiraling into Jude Law territory.
- Unlike Jude Law Ben doesn't have to worry about losing his looks. His hairline also seems to be staying in place nicely.
- Jude Law started to do lazy work and pop up in rubbish. Not something Benedict could ever be accused of.
- Calm down r147.
- R146. Losing his looks would be s boon to Benedict! All Jude lost was a lotta hair. What's left is pretty impressive.
I would compare Ben more to an actor like Michael Gambon or Alan Rickman than to Jude Law or Tom Hiddleston. He's never going to be a matinee idol but he'll always be a star.
I'd agree. He'll probably have a long career.
- r150, Trevor Howard comes to mind.
- I don't think hed be in a Marvel movie other than as a villain, and he already did that role in Star Trek. I see him getting movies in that fashion that are more based on the story and not effects like if he ended up doing Frankenstein with Del Toro. I think he's more inclined for acting driven roles more than anything else. I think he'd have a Gary Oldman type career.
Hiddleston could go that way but for Hollywood standards hes more attractive than Cumberbatch so I think he'd be in more movies, but not ones that would show off acting chops, but movies where hes the good looking one ala Jude Law.
- I think Jude Law is underrated as an actor. He was the best thing in Anna Karenina and it was good to see he wasn't too vain to play Karenin. Showed he will have a career that lasts longer than his looks.
- Cumberbatch is a good actor yes, like many other good actors out there, but he's (and Hiddleston, since he's being mentioned here) got nothing on Jude Law.
- If Cumberbatch were to be any superhero at all I feel like he'd do best as Batman, but I doubt that'll happen because it's already been done many times before and because he does a much better job as a villain.
- He has too many chins to be Batman. Batman has to have a strong jaw line.
- Jude Law vs Benedict Cumberbatch? Seriously? You need glasses. Jude Law is underrated because unfortunately he is too gorgeous to be anything other than gorgeous whereas BC uses his 'unique' look to get some momentum. He wishes he was Jude Law.
- This thread's about to get a whole lot more boring now that the model's confirmed she has a boyfriend and it's not Ben! All the Cumberbitches are going to take their ball and go back to Tumblr. :(
- R158 Agreed. With the way Cumberbatch talks about the way he looks Im sure he does wish he was Jude Law. Real shame for Law most always talk about his hair loss rather than a new movie.
The mode mustve not wanted to be labeled an escort or she got in trouble with Ben with all the press that came from the trip.
- If I were a 37-year-old successful actor I wouldn't be interested in settling down just yet. The world is his oyster and will be for some time to come.
What a relief. Bye bye fangirls.
- R160 Jude fucking Law can talk whatever he wants about his looks, he's already an icon, a living legend. Only working actors talk about their new movie over and over because majority of the world outside Tumblr won't give shit if they talk about themselves.
- R159 Yay now we can actually talk about his career, haha
The fans know that the model broke up with her PR BF earlier this year, and that she was with Benedict in Greece during the Sherlock press tour from her FB. (Social media's a bitch.) That's not gonna fly. The damage has been done.
But what is the damage? It seems to me "Crimson Peak" is the movie that would have appealed most to the female fanbase. Chastain has a classy image and in the looks department, has the same homely/beautiful appeal that Benedict has. He'd be well-served if there are rumors about them together. (Didn't Hiddleston try that angle last year?) I think the fan girls will turn out for "Crimson Peak" if the rumored titillating sex scenes (incest) are hot. From what I've seen, he'll need to work on that.
- Oh, please r165. All the Cumberbitches, you included, will see any damn thing he's in.
- I'm amused by the posters today that don't want to talk about the model -- "Let's talk about Turing!" "Let's talk about Jude Law!" Invasion by fangirls one day and Ben's PR team the next.
You can't talk about his career without talking about the gossip (plus it's just more fun.) Does anyone really doubt image is critical? (Witness Cavill-Cuoco. I miss you crazy kids!) And face it, this is great gossip.
Ben goes to Ibiza to officiate a gay wedding. He brings his current piece for some fun and sun and to deflect any possible (but unlikely) gay rumors from the wedding and the Turing biopic. She spectacularly turns the tables on him by staging some "sexy" photos to get publicity for her new play. He responds by staging photos at a burlesque club, creating a lothario image he probably never intended. She's pegged as an escort and then claims she was just getting "acting advice."
Given the dearth of gossip about him before, this is a fucking goldmine.
There. I talked about Turing. Happy now?
- I heard that in the movie he's supposed to be playing Turing in (the name escapes me at the moment) he supposedly portraying Turing as straight (by the writers' choice, not his). Considering the fact that Turing's homosexuality is an important part to his character, I'm not really sure how this is going to turn out. Any thoughts?
(1) No, I'm not. Calling me a Cumberbitch to distract from what I said?
(2) No, they didn't (STiD). But as I said on the other thread, it probably had limited appeal to women anyway.
- I didn't hear he was going to play Turing as straight. Keira Knightley is playing the woman Turing asked to marry him so that will be part of the story. But it would be surprising if they didn't make any reference to him being gay as it was key to what happened to him after the war.
As for the Ibiza episode. It's had more twists and turns than an episode of Sherlock and still nobody really knows what happened so I think the sane fans (yes there are some) are just bored with it now.
What??!! How is it even possible to have a Turing movie without mentioning his homosexuality? I'd think his prosecution and castration would be the basis for the drama.
Not true on Turing. The production company squashed that really quick on their Twitter and Facebook (it's Black Bear Studios).
The "source" on that rumor was someone who sent Turing's now elderly biographer an old version of the script back from when Warner Bros. had it.
Even the old version didn't have him as straight, though, just played up the relationship between him and his fiance Joan more than the current one.
- r167 I don't think the pics with the redhead were staged, but I agree about the result being unintentional. The ladies man image he's received is pretty funny, but more because of how awkward a person he seems to be. That's what keeping my interest at this point. If it all seemed normal(and it almost did when the first few pics of him in Ibiza came out), I'd be over it.
- Ugh the model comments on their sexcapades herself? Hello! Get a publicist peasant.
How do you get "bewildered" in a club, miss the private exit, and "accidentally" go out the public exit to waiting paps, all the while holding hands with a fan-friendly female? (I see you, R578 from the other thread.) Not buying it.
I already wrote my take on the whole thing, so, unlike you, at this point I'm only interested in the long-term effect on his fanbase. Well, that and his first interview about it at TIFF.
- I meant R173.
- @ 175 – His first interview about it?!
Well, yes, I can already see it.
Opening of TIFF, here comes BC promoting three movies, opening one Oscar contender, fresh from the set of the hugely popular Sherlock and holds a press conference to explain why he was seen holding hands with a long-time friend after his birthday party almost two months ago.
LOL. If he gets asked anything at all (and that I doubt), I assume he is just going to turn it into a joke. As would any sane person.
Even the most frantic fan girls are not that obsessed with this.
- Well, I didn't mean the interview will be about THAT. At some point, though, someone somewhere is going to ask. We'll see, won't we? But really, as fun as this was, I don't believe it will have any long-term effect anyway, at least in America. From my experience, most people have no idea who he is. His fanbase may be rabid, but I'm not sure how large it really is.
- R167 - I think I love you!
- Even in an industry driven by PR, it is really beyond me how this could damage him.
Dear God, you would think he boned both girls at the same time in front of Buckingham Palace the way people are going on about it!
A single guy held in high esteem by virtually anyone who ever come into contact with him was seen with two women within a week. A storm in a tea cup and not even that.
He really is too bland for my taste.
Consider my ego stroked. Thanks, I needed that.
- And, yeah, I deserve whatever shit I get for that. I am on DL after all.
- The only long term result of this is that it reduces any gay rumours. So I;d say from a Hollywood perspective this is a win win for him. Its also given him a wakeup call that he has to take the pr side of his career far more seriously. He may have thought his fanbase wasnt that important to his career but this little blip must have reminded him all too clearly that his future is linked to him maintaining his fanbase and building on it. I noticed his sherlock set photos yesterday showed him smiling very sweetly to the crowds of fans as they continued to scream over him. He looked relieved.
- Frankly I think he's done pretty well out of this. The only slightly dodgy moment was the blind item about hiring hookers which wouldn't have been great if it had stuck to him.
Otherwise he just looks like a single guy having fun "punching above his weight" to use his own words.
True some fans will weep into their Sherlock T Shirts that he's not spending his evenings writing poetry or tearfully leafing through "Parenting" magazine at glimpses of the life he years for if only the right woman(fangirl) would come along. But the majority realise he's a single guy doing what single guys do and so long as it doesn't stop him making TV series and movies they really aren't bothered which or how many blondes, redheads or brunettes he hooks up with in his spare time
- Agree with 184.
I was really amazed by the furore some are/were trying to create around this. The news was published by a handful of tabloids and most readers laughed it off as “Have fun, lad”.
As for those saying (here and on other boards) that this goes against his image, I honestly don’t know if they have ever read a single interview with this guy. He himself said he likes to be active, go out with friends, meet people, etc. It’s not like he keep it a secret. Not that that is something that should be kept a secret in the first place.
And as for the family thing, he has been saying for years now that even though he wants a family, he is aware that he just doesn’t have the time for it now and is willing to wait.
To me that’s actually quite honest and relatable.
Or would it perhaps be better if he rushed into something and had a child he can’t properly take care of?
- R185 and R186
You are two reasonable fangirls. Welcome to DL.
When Emmy nominations were announced two weeks ago, I had a great chat with Benedict Cumberbatch, during which he gushed about Matt Damon more than a little. He also asked me a favor — “to pass along a message" and tell Damon “that Benedict is a big fan and would like to hang." So I was honor bound at last night’s Elyisum screening hosted by the Peggy Siegal Company to try to make this happen. Luckily, Damon had been informed earlier in the day of Cumberbatch’s man-crush, but he wasn’t quite as effusive as I wanted him to be. So I brought it up again.
-Congratulations on your Emmy nomination, by the way. I was talking to one of your fellow nominees Benedict Cumberbatch about his Emmy nomination and he could not stop talking about you, he is such a big fan.
-Somebody just told me that today!
-Are you a fan of his as well? Are there things of his that you’ve loved?
-I just want to sit down and have a beer and talk shop with him. I’m just kind of looking forward to that. I think he’ll be one of the guys who lasts, that’s my take. It’s what George [Clooney] said to me ten years ago: If you can pull off ten years in this business, then you’ve done something, and we both kind of agreed that that was kind of the benchmark. And I think [Cumberbatch] is of the new crop. The New York Times did that thing like a year ago — where is the new crop [of leading men]? — and this year we’ve got Channing [Tatum] and a bunch of guys, Chris Hemsworth, who just showed up.
-Did you ever see Benedict in Sherlock?
Yeah. I haven’t seen all of the Sherlocks, but I’ve seen some of the Sherlocks, probably half of the Sherlocks, on my iPad. Is that a bad thing to say? Because I’ve been traveling. I’m a little behind. But he’s also somebody other younger actors like Emily Blunt and people like that have talked about. When you start hearing a name all the time, you go, “Okay, I’ll download this, let me see," and then you start to pay attention, and he’s at that kind of breaking point now.
-He wants to have more than a beer with you — he wants to go dancing, to party, stay out all night, maybe at the Emmys, maybe another night.
-He may not know how old I am! [Laughs]
-Well, he thought out of all your fellow nominees in that category …
-… I got the best shot at staying up late? Michael [Douglas], Michael can burn the candle at both ends, too, so maybe the three of us will go out sometime.
- Thank you R187. R185 here. We're not all mad you know! Appreciate the welcome as I know this site isn't really for us. But, shoot me, I love a gossip about trashy media stories every now and then. On here you get to do that without being treated as though you've just announced you worship Satan and maim puppies, as happens on some other sites when you, horror of horrors, "discuss his private life." Now I'm not going to go rooting through his bins and hacking his voicemail but if he gets "papped"on a trip he informed the media about or coming out the front entrance of a club then that's fair game for comment in my book
I love Benedict Cumberbatch as an actor and, yes, I do fancy him but he's a big boy who has literally been around the acting profession and showbiz scene since birth so he really doesn't need a set of internet nannies to protect him.
If I was him I'd be having a huge laugh at the events if the past week not to mention a bit of a preen at my new image as Benedict "two women a week" Cumberbatch.
- Sorry I'm R184. Said I was R185 in the response above. Evidently I can gossip but not count.
- I like Jude Law and I think he's a very good actor but he's not in Ben's league.
- Today, I read Harry Styles' comments in GQ UK on relationship rumors. They're here:
I never thought I'd say this, but Harry came across as classy and (dare I say it?) mature.
THAT. That is what he should say when asked. No treating it like a joke. No rambling explanation (good luck).
It's a shame. I enjoy his ramblings. They're what make him such an appealing interviewee. Caitlin Moran used that to great effect. I hope he doesn't sanitize his image too much, but I expect he learned his lesson on the relationship front.
- Well Harry Styles probably has more experience with women to be fair to BC.
- R192 Sad but true...
- I don't get why you're posting about Harry Styles on the Benedict Cumberbatch thread.
- To be clearer, I should have said:
"THAT. That is what should Benedict should say when asked."
- [R122] .. Ie: Ellen from IMDB, PLlease stop making yourself look so foolish.
I'm not Heather, nor am I FionaAllan, but I am on IMDB and anyone can see people's post histories. Stop making such a twat of yourself.
Fiona was right about KE having a BF, and she didn't lie about anything else or even insult her... she spoke the facts. And of course she didnt insinuate 'whore', you absolutely moron. What the hell is wrong with you?
That stupid blind item from crazy days was posted by someone else, and she in fact said what nonsense it was. You're lies are visible in the post history and threads.. Everyone can see you are in the wrong, So just stop.
I don't know why you have a deranged vendetta against her? Perhaps because she was proved right? So you basically look like even more of an idiot than you did before. I think you actually owe the woman an apology, tbh.
Oh and get some help. You're deranged and a bully.
- And back to the thread topic.
Does he, or does he not have tinymeat?
Frankenstein audience members, please weigh in here.
- Sorry to ruin your theory R196 but R122 wasn't me. Given that you, whoever you are, seem to have a problem with what I've said on IMDB, I'm not sure why you're ranting about it on here where nobody either knows nor cares what the heck you're on about. I don't believe anything I've said is deranged or bullying and I have no fear of anybody seeing my posting history. You say you're on IMDB, well then please have the courage to confront me using your ID on there rather than launching cowardly attacks on here under fake names. I'd be very happy to respond.
Meanwhile, re the discussion on here, I don't think Harry Styles is an ideal role model for Benedict Cumberbatch, even if BC does seem to be gradually adopting the same hairstyle.
- R197. I believe that report was only put out by one audience member (no pun intended). Others seemed to think he was being a bit unfair.
- If he was extraordinarily well endowed I doubt he could have done the sort of slamming around on the floor that he did in the first twenty minutes or so of "Frankenstein" without at least a dance belt. On the other hand, if he was grotesquely underdeveloped it doesn't seem likely he would have been inviting ridicule on himself by gyrating nude in front of hundreds of people every night.
- I've seen Benedict on stage in Frankenstein and he is average size. No more no less. He also has a lovely toned body and a great arse. I enjoyed what I saw anyway.
- Girls, girls.....you are both pretty. Now please shut up.
I didn't say Benedict should model himself after Harry Styles, just that he should copy what HS said about relationship rumors. (Are you still lurking, Ben's team?)
And I've got nothing on Ben's meat. Sorry, R197.
- Just to go back to Katia for a second – some here said that the fangirls know she broke up with her PR/businessman boyfriend.
Well, I wouldn’t be so sure. If it is the same guy who is all over her Instagram, he just posted a link promoting her play on his Twitter.
Somewhat odd if they had broken up, don’t you think?
Quite possible that she was honest about living with her boyfriend and poor old Benny got played.
- R201 Must be a grower not a shower :p but I saw Frankenstein on screen and he is AMAZING.
Yeah, I mean, her boyfriend's got eyes? Before the pics surfaced, a friend had commented that BC would notice her in that dress. It was dated days before the wedding.
The wording was along the lines of "he'll actually pay attention to you if you wear that I bet" not "OMG your man will love it" so it's possible she was setting him up for PR pics and her BF knew.
This won't hurt his career a bit and I think the fan "outrage" is hilarious, I'm just amused at Katia's clever play.
- [R206] LOL, of course it won’t hurt him, there are barely people interested in it.
Just found it amusing. I’m really not the one for conspiracy theories, but this is honestly too much of a coincidence.
What comment are you referring to? Something on FB?
Yep, on her own Facebook actually. She had posted pics of herself in two dresses and asked for opinions on which one was better for a wedding in Ibzia.
One of her friends commented that on it. She went there trying to get his attention, apparently. Deleted the comments as soon as the pics were released. She's also friends with the guy who took the beach shot of them and the grooms.
That's how I am too. I really think she pulled one over on him and I am amused by it.
Purposely got him close to get those pics, but he must not have been that interested because the pap didn't get a smoking gun shot. He's usually handsy--photographed caressing Quinto's neck for Christ's sake.
- [R208] Exactly what I thought about the pap photos. The paps were keeping an eye on them for at least two days and if this is the best they got, how did the rest look like?
Just did a quick photo search of him on Google. He gropes everyone and everything, but they couldn’t get a picture where he is properly touching his alleged hot fling?
Anyway, it is amusing, but I do kind of feel a bit bad for him. He really seems sweet and trusting.
Exactly. He's big on touching everyone and hugs strangers no problem. I know fans were pointing that out and were dismissed, but that is where they've got a valid point. For him, those photos are actually rather reserved.
I figure it's not a bad lesson for him to learn now, before he gets bigger. He's no industry newbie, but he's never dealt with this level of fame before. There's a learning curve.
- R210 Ditto-he's like that in almost every photo he's in, regardless of whether he's with a man or a woman. It's probably why he's suspected of dating every woman he's seen with.
It's hard not to feel bad for him though. Even Martin Freeman says that he's too trusting...
I never, EVER, thought I'd say this, but you two are making the commenters on imdb and Celebitchy look sane. Give the spinning a rest. Doubt there are many Cumberbitches on here anyway.
P.S. Helpful hint: DL posters rarely agree with each other, and NEVER 3 times in a row.
- Since you're apparently here anyway, and since I'm really bored, let's talk about the PR.
I admired Ben's strategy of claiming not to use social media, while actually using social media. (Instagram babies, anyone?) Why the Cumberbitches never caught on I'll never know -- "He's actually REALLY private." (I almost typed "LOL." Shame.)
That's the good. Now the bad.
1. Ben didn't change the narrative earlier. His team knew of his penchant for models by the beginning of last year, if not earlier. (Lydia Hearst? Yikes!) He was bound to get found out, but he kept talking about the "mother of my children." The Japan Elle "I'm not looking to get married" quotes should have come earlier.
2. Ben attended a gay wedding. See the title of this thread.
3. Ben officiated a gay wedding. See the title of this thread.
4. Ben brought a Shady Lady to Ibiza. Her reputation is...um...notorious. Since she wasn't likely to be long-term, he should have kept her hidden. If you play with famehos... And if he needed her to deflect gay rumors, well, then see 2. and 3.
5. The burlesque club. If you're going to stage photos, try not to do it in the presence of dwarves, dancing dogs and topless women. Hilarity will ensue. The Ivy next time.
So what's "poor old Benny" to do? First, get better taste in women STAT. Second, memorize Harry Styles' quote.
Will any of this matter? NO.
The UK tabloids are having some fun, and he probably won't win any more "Sexiest Creature" awards in the UK, but they've probably moved on to Simon's moobs by now. Work on getting more name recognition in the US 'cause in my experience that's in short supply, even after STiD.
So can you stop with the "Wow, he was played" - "Yes, he sure was" - "Poor Ben" - "I know, he just likes to hug" dialogue? Please?
- Good Lord! Are other threads this nutty?
- Try Hip Hop Annie. Good stuff.
- Christ, R213 are you going for some sort of record in incorrect statements.
- R213 is Benedict Cumberbatch himself, tired of Cumberbitches' bullshit. That's how annoying this thread is.
- Entertainment Weekly as a double page on him in the latest issue. In it he mentions he has a house in Greece. It wouldnt happen to be the house the model stayed in just before he had to pop to Athens to promote Sherlock now would it.
Looks like he was trying to keep her quiet but she'd had enough of that game.
Regarding his need to become more recognised in the US. Without taking a big comic book role that wont happen. Not to ANY actor these days. Noone gave a f**** about Ruffalo until he become the Hulk. Even Fassbender had to do Xmen to get the name recognition to a wider audience.
Cumberbatch turned down a comic book role. I dont know which one it was but maybe it wasnt such a wise move after all. He said it didnt have much character depth or development. How he said yes to STID when that script was so bad beats me. I suspect it was a Marvel role. Rumours of him and Marvel cropped up around the time they were casting for Ironman 3 so it was probably Guy Pearce role. He also turned down playing Dracula. Luke Evans is now playing that version. Supposedly BC's management team tried to convince him to say yes but he refused.(I think he made the right decision there)
If he turned down Marvel I doubt they'll come back again so he'll have to pin his hopes on Guillermo Del Toro. Luckily Del Toro seems to adore him so I;d expect him to pop up in his films for years to come.Ditto any JJ Abrams films. I'd love him to play Constantine for Guillermo in Justice League Dark but the director takes so long to get films off the ground that i wont hold my breath.
What really annoys me is PBS having the rights to screen Sherlock. If only it was HBO. The BBC are so stupid.
- Interesting about the house in Greece. But still why would the model say she has a boyfriend and she and "Ben" are just friends if it wasn't true? Wouldn't the existence of the boyfriend be easy enough to check out? Or are people suggesting that she has a boyfriend who doesn't mind her nipping off for sex with Cumberbatch every so often.
I is confused. And possibly naive!
- I forgot to say that although some fans only want Benedict doing 'worthy' projects. Even his beloved Gary Oldman did very commercial projects (partly for money and partly to stay on everyones radar). Oldman probably took on too much sh*t but nevertheless Benedict has to balance indie limited audience work with far more commercial roles. All actors have to do this to keep momentum flowing in their career. Even his darling Matt Damon.
- Hiddleston's Loki is just a variation on the traditional Hollywood epicene villain role with which generations of British actors have been bankrolling their more interesting and challenging artistic career ventures. So is John Harrison, only J.J. Abrams made it into an epic Cumberbatch homage, heavy on the "Sherlock" and "Frankenstein" parallels. Clearly in his mind Ben had already arrived.
That being said I just don't ever see Ben being the sort of actor who puts masses of asses in seats. He's just too specialized a taste.
Which reminds me: cut or uncut?
Does any one actor really get bums on seats. If the project isnt really pandering to a mass audience even the biggest names get failures and very modest returns. Its still all about the story and clever marketing.
- I wanted to add (cant you edit a post you make?) that Cumberbatch's projects do well given realistic expectations. A tiny example is Cabin Pressure. Its a very cheap radio series that does big business for audiogo who sell the cd's. When the latest series of Cabin Pressure was aired on radio 4 it was top of the BBCi charts for ages. I dont think his appeal is narrow at all. Even old t shirts he wears get reissued by companies because they get such large requests from people. People are clambering for the bracelet he wears.
If you;d seen the videos of his huge fanbase in Japan you;d never say he has a narrow appeal. I've always wondered why he hasnt done any adverts in Japan like Hugh Jackman because he'd make a fortune.
If he did turn down a Marvel role, I suspect it was "Ant Man." I don't care how great the script supposedly is, the name alone would invite ridicule. Does anyone want to put that on their resume? If that was the role, I think it was a good move.
Ditto, "Dr. Strange." He has unconventional looks as it is, so wise not to play into that.
Don't forget "Star Wars." I just hope he doesn't show up in a Jango Fett costume somewhere.
People who has never married are gay
wake up, we are in 2013.
Some straight people don`t want to get married. There are many gay people who also don`t want to get married
- that denial has definitely calmed the waters. whatever you think, it did the trick.
- The Ant man script is meant to be very good so it wouldnt have been that and was only recently finalised. Marvel sniffed around him at the time of Ironman3 so I'd put a big bet on it being that baddie role. Doctor Strange would be a great role for him but its looking likely that JGL is going to play the role. I doubt he'll ever play a marvel role now.
- I can't remember what exactly I heard about the script, because my immediate reaction was "Ant Man? Who wants to play Ant Man?" I think it would have an uphill battle just because of the name.
It may not be a bad thing if he never heads up a Marvel movie. No one wants to be the one that proves Spielberg right.
- R226 Yep. She got the publicity; he learned a lesson.
I appreciated the tongue-in-cheek though. My favorite? "Katia Elizarova, first pupil of the Cumberbatch School of Dramatic Arts," courtesy of the BBC.
- He's better off staying away from Marvel. They're rough and nasty with their talent even more so than studios usually are.
- [R226] Yes, I was surprised it worked that fast.
I don't know or care what happened. He just needs to get Sherlock done. The handful of fleeing fraus on Celebitchy claiming betrayal to justify their batshit behavior was pretty funny though.
He was approached for Antman? I missed that rumor. I am still on the fence about Marvel even making that movie.
- Ive heard nothing about him being linked to ant man.
He's great at action and was obviously having great fun on the STID set. I'd be happy for him to move between small scale passion projects and big fun graphic novel films. He's so versatile it would be a shame if he stayed well away from any comic book films. Star wars looks like its mainly focused on 4 teenagers so I wouldnt want Cumberbatch playing second fiddle to those in a weak support role. In some ways Ant man would be his best bet as the director/scriptwriter would at least know how to make the most of his skills. But I;m not convinced there's an audience for the film.
I wouldnt mind him playing Fassbender's adversary in Prometheus 2.
Im most interested in his Brian Epstein role and really hope that doesnt fall through.
- Just watched a few interviews on YouTube to see what all the fuss is about. He is striking and attractive in motion (as long as he doesn't do a full smile -- his mouth is seriously asymmetrical), but personality-wise, he seems really snarky and condescending. It's even worse when he tries to be funny. He either tells the same joke over and over or fucks up the timing. So awkward and borderline unpleasant.
He's a good actor, but I think this fan girl worship must be 99% projection.
- There is a Sherlock season three trailer on youtube! It gave me the tingles!
- Because the best way to judge an actor is to watch how he does interviews.
- I hate teaser trailers. Trailers tease me enough, do we really need teaser to tease us about trailers?
- Benedict Cumberbatch Wank Bank
- I loved reading the new quotes from Cumberbatch on Jessica Chastain. If ever there was an actress I'd like him to build a close working relationship with its her. It would be good to see them in multiple films together. A Tracey/Hepburn of today.
- Rumor-wise, have heard he's got ADHD and anxiety condition but only recently got diagnosed and meds over the last year.
Pleasant on set to everyone, including crew and support staff, listens well. Nothing very exciting on that front.
- How could you possibly know about a diagnosis.
- The poster said it was only a rumour. Plus one need only read some of his interviews to get a hint from the journalists who have met him.
- The fan girls are having a shit-fit over the linked article. Most of the content is just speculation based on tidbits from interviews over the years, but my guess is it's pretty close to the truth. Fits with everything the "insiders" have said here and on the previous Cumberbatch thread.
The article actually doesn't make him less appealing to me. I think he uses his insecurities to great effect in his acting. All great artists create from personal pain. I don't have to live with him.
- "To make matters worse, he’s highly cautious, even paranoid, about money."
This has to be one of the most deeply unattractive traits in a person.
- What is that article, it's taking armchair psych to a new level. Christopher Stevens sounds like a scorned ex.
From another perspective: Bad things come in threes, this article might be indicating his Oscar campaign is a stillborn.
- "Cumberbatch" sounds like an Old English word for the pubic bush.
- He is fascinating in his complexity. He will find happiness someday. Some of us are just late bloomers.
- Poor Ben...
It's sad he only got help last year if the rumour is true.
Someone stated on an other forum that he has Social anxiety disorder too.
He is a lovely guy in person , but he is very shy , esp. with women.
That DM article is very mean. The writer seems to hate Ben for some reason.
- The article linked at r242 is a typical sadistic English tabloid hatchet job (ironically the sort that's satirized in the "Sherlock" episode "The Reichenbach Fall.") I'm sure Ben's not happy about it but if he needs a shoulder to cry on I'm sure Jude Law, Steve Coogan, Charlotte Church and others on the tabloid victims list would have some words of advice and comfort.
- Steve Coogan on being fucked over by the tabloids:
- I have to laugh how some of you on here rush to believe anyone who posts a negative rumour on someone. They could be talking through their backsides but as long as its a slur you'll happily give a thumbs up.
- Cumberbatch should get together with Jessica Chastain. They would be pr gold and become a powerhouse couple.
- What an odd couple they would be, man with no chin & Jawssica Chastain.
- Some actors stand up better under UK tabloid assaults than others. I'm guessing Ben is more of a Steve Coogan than a David Scarboro, but you never know.
- I've liked him since I first saw him in Atonement, he's really talented.
- Really cute story from the filming the other day which supports the.comments the BC is very touchy feely with his friends. Apparently he arrived on set a few hours after Martin Freeman. He spotted Martin went over to him a gave him a huge hug and then, while they were standing chatting, proceeded to fix Martin's shirt for him. There are other similar pics with other people both male and female which is why it is possible that the pap pics this week and last with women may not mean much. I do hope he's getting some somewhere though.
- The cute story is years old and was seen on series 2.
I hope BC doesnt feel pressure from the media to marry someone to shut these idiots in the press up. Its a busy time for him careerwise and it makes sense to focus on becoming a big A lister film wise. I dont see why british actors cant be at the very top of Hollywood.
Guys can easily settle down in their 40's and still have a family. But he should cut down on the smoking or he wont have a long happy life. plus I don't want that amazing voice of his screwed.
- If that article is the best DM could do, he's pretty clean. You'd think fangirls would be relieved.
The article is more embarrassing for him than negative. We've got he's careful with money and not an egomaniac. Parents didn't have enough money to cover public school, they were actors and probably why he's paranoid about money. Does sound like he had/has a disability of some sort so he struggled in school. Never got over his ex, is nice to everyone, etc.
The "schoolmate" sources don't seem to know why for sure he didn't go the Oxford route, but I wonder if his parents just couldn't afford to help him financially.
Why the hell is him officiating the wedding of his friends a "gay tease" though?
- It's fairly laughable how they try to make out the obsessed fangirl who was tweeting his movements was doing it because of the building work he did that the neighbours objected to (and thus implying it was justified). Please, it was some crazy stalker fan. Really doubt she cares about some planning permission kerfuffle.
Really? It was clearly reported she was just a nutty fan. Who would stalk a person over renovations lol?
- This is the Daily "Fail" we're talking about. They've got things all mixed together. The planning permission kerfuffle was a couple of years ago and the "tweeting stalker" was just a couple of months ago. Not at all related.
- This thread is a fail.
- We do not say "fail" on DL. We say "[fill in whatever we're talking about]'s collapse is complete."
- Lol, R245.
- And the tweeter was male not female.
- He got a Scholarship to Harrow so he cant be that stupid. When he did an interview for Cambridge science weekend he seemed scarily intelligent to me. He wasnt just throwing in soundbites - he really understood what he was talking about. Stephen Hawking woudlnt have recommended him to be the director of the science weekend if he didnt think he was a bright guy so I think what he said about girls and pot distracting him from uni was probably right. He also mentioned it was at the advice of Toby Jones (a family friend) that he chose Manchester uni because of the drama course there. Why does there need to be anything more complicated to that decision. The Mail are a piece of sh*t.
- He seems like a total schmuck in all his interviews.
- No he doesn't.
- Oxbridge doesn't offer Drama or Theatre Studies BA's. But he probably applied to both regardless and didn't get in.
- Great actor
- Repulsive face, scrawny body, limited acting range, vile human being, only currently kept professionally viable by his legion of 13 year old fan girls who get damp at the thought of a "safe" feminine beta male. See also: Tom Hiddleston, Matt Smith.
- These are the weirdest threads on DL
- The 'Mail' link wasn't as bad as I'd imagined, maybe only 5/10 on their horror-meter.
Hilarious though that the routine schtick to its lower-middle-class flock - work as hard as you can, be sensible with money, give your offspring the best start in life - is somehow found dubious, odd, when exemplified in a successful actor.
The 'Mail' is a schizoid joke, and it's a shame that the link attracted over 500 comments. 'Success' for the hack, I suppose.
- Great actor and lovely guy judging by what people who meet him say. Don't think he deserves all the crap he gets from over invested fans and snide journalists.
- I am just in awe of the people that want him to be gay or think he is attractive. I don't believe in making fun of peoples appearances-- especially if they don't have a bad personality. But he is truly ugly.
- He definitely is a bit "marmite" on the looks front. People either think he's ugly or sex on legs. I'm in the latter group but I can see how he might not be everyone's type. No need to be nasty though. It's not compulsory to fancy him.
- 274 so you dont believe in making fun of someone but do it anyway. Yeah right.
There's enough people who think he;s gorgeous so jog on.
- Dreamworks love Cumberbatch. The animation side have now signed him up for a Madagascar cartoon film. He'll be the voice of a high-ranking animal CIA agent. Clever Dreamworks for realising the mums will go and see the film partly to hear his voice. I know I will. Its a spin off film focusing on the penguins.
- If he were really interested in making a ton of $$$ with a minimum of work, voice overs would be his best bet. With a voice as golden as his, he'd be able to demand crazy amounts of cash.
- Mr. Cumbersnatch, I presume?
- Re: reply 247\t(Raspberry)
Any link to the other forum you mentioned? Also, do you know him? I am assuming so, otherwise how would you know he is very shy in person, especially around women.
- has the loon from celebitchy,noreen, made it here yet?
- Hah I'm glad she was mentioned. Insane.
- @ Alexandra
I 've met Benedict a few times , but I do not know him very well.
The gossip I've mentioned is on ONTD , a comment to this article:
"Benedict Cumberbatch Admits Difficulty Over Learning Lines"
But the post gets rejected if I try to post a link.
What is Benedict like in person? He is probably one of the people I most want to meet!
- He is very polite and nice . He uses f*** a lot in a conversation.
He smells nice. ;)
And he can eat a lot despite being quit thin.
His skin is beautiful and his hands are HUGE. It was funny to shake hands.
- @Rasberry thanks for this!
- You are welcome.
How did you get the good fortune to meet him? He sounds lovely!
- Twice we were at the same event once we bumped into each other at West End.
He is very sexy in person.
- Can you tell us any more about what he;s like in person. I'm fascinated by him. To me he's the most interesting actor working today.
- His eyes are really mesmerizing in person. And he seems to listen when you are talking to him.
I really like and respect him for that. There are many celebrities ( and others ) who clearly show you bore them if you are not someone very famous and important.
He seems to treat everyone with respect unless they are rude to him.
He likes lamb a lot. ;)
Thank you for responding to us! I can see Ben enjoying people's conversations whether they're famous or not. And the fact he likes lamb, is an awesome man in my book. ;) Ha-ha!
I hope he's adjusting well with making great films and the fame and the ladies (Katia, Charlotte, etc.). It'll be nice to see an actor doing well successfully and not being jaded with it all.
- I hope for the best for him too.
- I worry about looking into his eyes if I meet him. I might get lost.
- I am sure he'll help you up if you faint.
He is a real gentleman.
- R294, I'm more worried about getting lost in his deep voice if I ever meet him to be honest. A helluva actor truly, but his voice...damn.
- R281 R282 Nutty Noreen? I hope not. I used to read, and occasionally post on CB but I rarely go there now, particularly the BC posts. That woman has issues.
- You have to admit that it is very funny how the US refuses to acknowledge him. He is so huge everywhere but the US is so stubborn like "Nope, we will talk about Renee Zellweger eating lunch alone."
- He worked as a waiter for two years at some chocolate place while he acting to make ends meet, according to the owner (small local business feature, I included the link).
Between this, the department clerk job (in E!), and even the Daily Fail's dogpile article I'd guess he really didn't grow up rich.
- r299, his parents, Wanda Ventham and Timothy Carleton (just his stage name: his real last name is Cumberbatch) are working actors, but not stars and evidently not from big money. They managed to send him to a high-profile private school (what they call public schools in England) but the fact that he didn't go to the Royal Academy for Dramatic Arts, which is supposed to be incredibly expensive, would indicate that he's no trust fund kiddie and the reason he's working his ass off right now is that he's aware of how precarious his profession is and doesn't expect to be inheriting much.
- RADA is not incredibly expensive it costs the same as any university/college/drama school. He has an MA from LAMDA (London Academy of Dramatic Arts) on Classical Acting. RADA doesn't have an MA specifically on acting instead they have tech courses, Theatre Lab and stuff. Central has a similar course but most other schools have 3 year MA's.
- Timothy Carlton comes from a pretty wealthy family- his mother (Ben's grandmother) paid for a large sum of Benedict's schooling. The rest came scholarships.
I think for the most part he had to put himself through university though. I know he had to work at a perfume shop to afford his GAP year trip, where he taught English to Tibetan monks at least.
I think that's the reason why he got so upset when the press was constantly ragging about him being "posh", and being cast in upper-class roles all the time. In his mind he doesn't see himself as upper class at all.
Under the UK's system, I'd guess he isn't upper-class. No inherited title or fortune or anything, as far as I can tell.
His dad's family probably had what's left of old money and that shit was spent on his schooling, although the Mail article claimed his parents went broke on Harrow even with help.
- If he won a scholarship to Harrow his parents wouldn't have gone broke on fees.
OTOH he'd have been with peers for whom the phrase 'going broke' had no meaning: a nice middle-class boy among the upper-middle-classes, and above. BC's grafting makes sense.
- Bless him if he;s worked as a waiter for 2 years I can see how the posh stories would get on his wick.
- Great find # 299
I hope you don't mind posting the link elsewhere.
- I've a friend who won a scholarship to a top UK public school. Now his family weren't badly off but, in a year that included boys who either had titles, lived in stately homes or whose parents owned their own planes, he felt like a pauper. And there was always the so called "friendly banter" that would remind him of his slightly inferior status. Overall he got on well with everyone but he never felt he quite fitted in.
If Benedict Cumberbatch's experience was similar I understand why the posh boy tag might still be a bit of a raw nerve for him.
- Now he's getting political. Not sure what i think about these messages to paps he's doing.
- He strikes me as someone who is still uncomfortable with the amount of attention he receives. He may think that people should focus on important social issues rather than him. I don't mind him sending messages via paparazzi once or twice, but there are probably better ways to go about it if he's serious about activism.
- so happy this thread came back from loading limbo.
- R304. You know what the boys at Harrow do at night after all the lights have been turned off? Well, guess.
I wonder if he really is an introverted as some people have been saying.
- I think the fangirls want to imagine him as this sensitive introvert when he really doesn't come across as one. I think his image has been carefully crafted but lately has seemed to crack a little bit. I think as he gets more famous and starts to be followed by paps more, the real Benedict will start to show himself. I've noticed a few fan encounters on YouTube lately where he seems really abrupt and kind of annoyed with the fans, but then you see him on asinine TV interviews where he acts like he has the enthusiasm of a fucking puppy. Plus his brag about "punching above his weight" with women struck me as especially classless and in poor taste. It annoys me when women talk about him like he is some perfect romantic hero who is shy because he is insecure about his looks. He's not a freaking middle school girl for chrissakes.
- R313 this! so true.
What videos? I'm not in denial I'm just curious.
Forgive my ignorance, but what site is ONTD? You said he is very shy , esp. with women. Did that part come from gossip or first hand knowledge? It's just that some seem to think his awkwardness around women is all a ruse, part of a carefully crafted image, and I was wondering if that is true or not. Also, a weird question, but you said he smells nice...care to elaborate? I have heard that from some others who have met him as well, so it must be true! Apparently he wears Attimo by Ferragamo but I have no idea what that smells like. He just seems like a nice guy (good talker) and I would like to meet him someday and find out for myself what he smells like. :-)
Incidentally, has anyone seen the clip from a Japanese interview he gave where he was asked something about how he treats women, and he said, "You'll have to ask Ka--" then catches himself and says "my past girlfriends." Ha, I don't know if that was a slip of the tongue or what, but it sort of sounds like he started to say "Katia." I'm not getting all bent out of shape like some folks on tumblr are. I just thought it was interesting.
- R316 link please for the interview love?
- At the 2:20 mark. It's hard to tell if it means something or if it's just a stammer, but 1) it's an old interview (pre-Ibiza) and 2) she's said since that she has a boyfriend.
- Sometimes a "ca--" is just a "ca--"! (Karin, cast, cock, any word that sounds like "ca/ka")
- That interview is from Japan, just before he flew out to Ibiza and was photographed getting cozy poolside with who? Katia. I know people want to deny left and right that they are a couple/fuckbuddies/whatever, but this girl keeps popping up in relation to Benedict and in my experience, where there's smoke there's fire. These rumors didn't just start overnight with the Ibiza pics, they began months ago when they were first noticed getting cozy. Maybe she really does have a boyfriend but where is he? Maybe she's smart enough to use Ben for publicity but then that paints him as an idiot for letting himself be used like that and blindly following his cock. Meanwhile he's got this public image that he wants a serious relationship with a mature intelligent woman but it's obvious he's running around fucking twenty something models and party girls. If you are gonna be that fucking dude, at least own it like Fassbender.
- But we'll never know for sure. He made the "punching over weight" comment which I guess he felt was sufficient enough to imply that, yes, he is only having some fun right now. You were in a 12 year relationship, go for it.
- He is banging the Russian.
Prob not gay.
Hot in a geeky way.
- Gonna need receipts for that one.
As with any actor, he's got an image, but it's not completely fake in his particular case. Just exaggerated. He can be shy and does hide on occasion.
Could stand to be rude to some fans, although I haven't seen that myself. He's got some of the worst fans I've ever seen.
People mistake his realism about his looks for insecurity. Acting's largely a look-based business, and he's got to have lost out on parts because of it by this point.
- [quote] He has an MA from LAMDA (London Academy of Dramatic Arts) on Classical Acting. RADA doesn't have an MA specifically on acting instead they have tech courses, Theatre Lab and stuff. Central has a similar course but most other schools have 3 year MA's.
Actually he just did the one year classical acting course that leads to a certificate. They only changed it to an MA course in the last two or three years.
Sort of surprised he took that class. It is mostly for non-Brits. Brits usually take the two or three year courses at LAMDA which are considered more prestigious and have showcases that can lead to agents etc. (Obviously he did ok)
- He is absolutely not "banging the Russian". She's all out for some publicity. she got it. And she indeed has a BF she lives with. I don't know why people find this so hard to accept. It's not rocket science.
She keeps popping up in relation to him because she and her team have engineered it that way. It's simple PR. And everyone falls for it.
She indeed has a BF and why would you've seen him? She's not exactly a superstar.. Far from it actually. There's no reason you'd see him. But he exists. Believe me.
- [quote]Theatre Lab and stuff
What is theatre Lab?
- R325 More than ok. He's one of the best actors of his generation. I like that he works a lot and choses roles so different. Look at the three films he's presenting at TFF.
- Great actor. decent guy. Lovely with fans. There's a huge amount of material over the last few months of him meeting fans in Japan, New Zealand, various parts of the UK and all reports saying he;s lovely. There's written reports, photos, video and even I can tell he's adorable with them so any stirring on here looks pathetic. On tumblr over the last 3 weeks you'd drown in the sea of proof at how great he is with everyone. I always wonder if negative ninnies on here are actually ex girlfriends (or I should say bitter one night stands) or even jealous actors who lost out on roles to guys like Cumberbatch.
- If you're tired of constant PrimeTime, having to pay to post, threads getting deleted for no reason, and whimsical banning, click below.
Our WM isn't a stupid nazi cow, and we might one day have again what DL used to be.
- Theatre Lab is a program in RADA that mainly teaches "after Stanislavski" but it's not just 100% acting. LAMDA's one year course has a showcase just like the BA course.
- R326 R327. No need to get all shouty. I don't think anybody knows for sure what's going on there. Seems to me he's getting as much spin out of the speculation as she is.
- [quote]but it's not just 100% acting
what else is it? r332?
I think the LAMDA showcase for the one year class is in NY and LA though since most people are Americans. (maybe they have a London one too for the Brits--but you don't get the season of plays like you do on the other courses)
I know two people who did the one year course and really hated it. You are kind of treated like the red headed step children. I did the one year course at Bristol Old Vic and while it wasn't as bad as what the LAMDA one sounded like, we were definitively the lowest kids on the totem pole!
Financial constraints may have lead to the one-year class.
I was surprised by that too, but I didn't realize he worked while breaking into acting either (waiter, there's a legitimate link some replies back). Probably couldn't cover the cost of going for two or three years.
- But he went to Harrow...It seems a bit contradictory.
- But his parents/grandmother paid for his school fees. I'd imagine they expected him to pay his own way as an adult. University fees, living in Manchester, moving to London, doing another acting course all cost plenty of money. It's not unreasonable for him to get a job like any young independent adult.
- After watching his ex on TToI, I can see why he gets the webgirl crowd all excited; they can easily imagine themselves as his gf.
- R337 You're right, not unreasonable but a bit strange.
- You may be right R338. Probably why they hate the Russian model so much.
- Oh that is definitely part of it. Breaking up with the long term gf and diving into bed with a twenty year old blonde model is just stereotypical of him. And they like to pretend he's not like the rest, and would date someone 'normal'. Like Olivia.
- R 336
He got a scholarship to harrow (they give out 30 or so a year) after taking the entrance exam. Then his parents took a ton of crap roles and borrowed from his grandmum. I'd wager they couldn't help him with college even if they wanted too. His mum was already hitting the point where offers ebb, doing adverts.
- But I still don't think his parents were ever short of cash.
They own a house in Kensington plus a cottage in the country. If they couldn't afford to pay his school fees, why did they buy a second home when he was 12? He has never set foot in a state school, he was at a prep boarding school at 7. Plus public school scholarships in the UK are very small. They might have been paying 27k per year instead of 30k, which is still more than the average annual wage in the UK. They were doing just fine even if they had to take some crappy jobs.
- He would date someone normal like Olivia, as the past decade proves. However, I don't think any woman measures up to his real lady love - acting. From what I hear, that's what he really cares about, and has sacrificed personal relationships (like with Olivia) for the sake of it. Hopefully he'll take it easy and not burn himself out. He doesn't need to do a hundred projects a year to stay relevant. He's talented, and perfectly capable of having a long, sustained career without overworking himself or neglecting his friends.
- R334 there is some text based work, it's been a while since I researched schools so I don't remember very well but I recall they had to write an original piece for the public show at the end of the year. I believe that course is more of a total deconstruction/reconstruction of a play in every sense rather than full on acting.
LAMDA has several one year courses, the one he went to is now MA Classical Acting. Did your friends go to that one? Sorry I'm being nosy but I was considering applying to LAMDA after I graduate in 2015. Why did they hate it? Did you like your course in Bristol Old Vic?
- He's had balls resting on his chin...at least once.
- R346 THAT IS A SHAMEFUL LIE! Cumberbatch has no chin to rest balls on!
- [R 343]
I don't think they were destitute or anything, but it does appear they overshot their finances with Harrow (heck, even the Daily Fail piece confirmed that. Check how their IMDB entries multiply and decline in quality during his school years).
The second home was a shabby one-bedroom flat in Kensington they moved in temporarily to be closer to his school.
Harrow scholarships range widely, unlike Eton. You really need to have a parent that went there to get access to the better grants, though.
- That is definitely a "woman, please" pose....
- Is that oldman project taking off, has anyone heard? That's a good part
- R346 Really? You think so? Maybe you're right but I don't get that vibe from him. Yes I'm a woman and no I'm not in denial. I also fancy Richard Armitage but I'm 100% certain he's gay. Makes no odds to me since it's not like I'm ever going to meet him let alone have sex with him. He's just nice to look at. Likewise Cumberbatch. It wouldn't make any difference to me if he was gay but I just don't think he is.
By the way the reason I like this site is you can say stuff like that without being set upon by hoardes of over defensive fangirls who really don't want to hear it, I still bear the scars from replying "yes" to somebody on the Richard Armitage IMDB board who asked the question "do you think he's gay?"
- That made me burst out laughing, r347. I love him but his chin situation is rather unfortunate.
You're right on DL and I can understand the kind of problem you had with the fraus on IMDB; obviously, you're a reasonable and open-minded woman.
I also think Cumberbatch is not gay, just gay-friendly.
- Thanks R353. I'm still amazed by the number of fans who absolutely refuse to consider the possibility that Richard Armitage might be gay. Even though it's beyond obvious at this point. I honestly think if he went on TV and personally announced he was gay some of them still wouldn't accept it. Strange. But I'm getting off topic. Back to Cumberbatch. I don't think he's gay. I do think he's having fun enjoying all the "opportunities" his recently acquired single and sex symbol status offer him. And why not.
- Yeah at this point I too think Richard is gay. I love him but I would be surprised if he actually came out.
As for Ben, I don't think he's gay. Clearly not uncomfortable since I've seen plenty of pics of him hugging other men, but seriously look at his clothes. The Glastonbury outfit. Straight.
I read somewhere that his family has a house in Greece too. I don't know, maybe they were not that "poor" after all.
- @218, @219 and @356:
Clue one: Yes, Benedict actually owns a "holiday retreat" in Greece.
Clue two: The so-called "house in Greece" is actually in a beautiful picturesque little town in the mainland, called "Galaxidi"
Clue three: Katia in her Facebook page mentioned back on 17the June that "Delphi in Greece is the place I escaped for a long week-end. No Internet connection, sorry to disappear."
Sorry for not posting links, but my posts keep getting rejected and I think it's maybe the links. But with a Google search you can check yourself..
IMPORTANT FACT No.1: Delphi is next to Galaxidi!! (Like 10 minutes drive duh)
IMPORTANT FACT No.2: Benedict was in Greece promoting "Sherlock" and had a screening on 18th June.
So.. Connect the dots!! This is not coincidence. I am willing to bet she was there with him, but whether she was/is an affair or a random hookup or whatever, don't know. Just sayin'.
- I don't think that the house in Greece is a family house, I think it is Ben's. I forgot where but I remember reading the he owned a house in Greece, not that his family owned one. I remember the hoopla because people were assuming he had the Russian stashed at the house while he did some promo for Sherlock in Geeece a few months back. If he bought a house there, good for him. The tanking economy probably helped him get a great price.
- Oh, I forgot to say that I am Greek, I've been to Galaxidi some times, it's lovely and I am actually very impressed that he goes there for vacation and not to the "usual suspects" (Mykonos, Santorini etc) that most celebrities choose.
- How do some of you on here know so much about his parents properties and when they were bought Thats downright creepy.
- But BC was in Athens which is pretty far....
- No, it's actually two-hours drive.. They could very well have gone there for the weekend before coming to Athens for the screening. It kind of seems to big a coincidence to me for her to be in Greece at the same time as Benedict.
- There's definitely something that doesn't quite add up about the Russian "we're just friends" story. It's a proper mystery. Perhaps they'll do an episode of Sherlock about it.
- I'm gay and he's supposedly not so I don't have a horse in this race, but I still think the Russian's all talk. Former "muse" of a then-married billionaire whose wife lived in another country, has an award-winning PR consultant as a boyfriend, and is at that ripe age when her modelling career's coming to an end and she's desperate to stay relevant. That's an excellent combination for a heapin' helpin' of self-promotion. I read an article where she was bitching to the press about being snubbed by Kate Moss at a party. Also read her tweets/FB back in June where she first said she was vacationing in Galaxidi...then changed her mind and said Delphi. Can't make the lie too obvious, you know. And how coincidental that all of this nonsense with Cumberbatch comes right before her theatre debut and the release of her tacky reality show on Fox. Bitch is thirsty as hell and it's hilarious.
- Posted link to said tacky reality show.
And yeah, she and her PR team are trying really hard to make her happen. Even (and especially) if she rides on the coattails of someone famous. I wouldn't be surprised if her appearance in Sunstroke was made possible by her billionaire sugar daddy. She herself admitted in an interview that she has no theatre training or experience and that she was hired because she's Russian.
- But none of this explains why Cumberbatch is playing along.
- I'm with R367. Also, in that interview where he is being asked about his love life and he says something along the lines of "ask Ka-uh- my previous girlfriends." I'm positive he had a momentary slip of the tongue and was about to say Katia. And as for all this talk of her "award winning PR" boyfriend, I've never even heard a name mentioned. Who is he?
- His name is Blair Metcalfe. He works for a PR agency in London, and he's been all over her Instagram for ages. Like my link, for example.
As for BC, I wouldn't say he's playing along as much as not getting involved. He hasn't said anything and is busy filming Sherlock. He's always been forthcoming about his relationships in the past so I see no reason why he would keep this one quiet.
- I know but somehow there still seems to be more to the story. It's like the Ibiza photos - too intimate for just friends but yet not so intimate that they're obviously lovers. Either they're deliberately sending out ambiguous signals for publicity purposes or they just have a bit of an odd relationship that's neither one thing nor the other. I find it hard to believe that Cumberbatch is so dumb that he would be totally oblivious to her using him for publicity so you have to assume he's getting something out of it too.
As for the official boyfriend, you also have to wonder whats going on there.. I don't know too many guys who would be happy seeing their girlfriend in photos with another bloke like those those from the Ibiza trip.
- It is a bit strange. I think sometimes he might not mind her using him that way because it gets him publicity as well. And while he's not a famewhore, he is incredibly ambitious and being seen with a pretty young model only looks good for him and keeps him in the papers. All the better if he never says a word about it, since it keeps everyone talking and guessing. Maybe her boyfriend just looks the other way since she's gone on record saying it's innocent. After all, it's only helping his business.
- But Ben quite happily lets his friends use him for publicity - J Rhodes tweets about him fairly often and went on his piano show, and his other friend asked his fans to donate money for making that Little Favour short film. Nobody would have cared if BC wasn't involved. And look at Alice Eve - she does the subtle hints/tweets/pics too.
Martin Freeman has said he's naive and rather gullible, so it's not unreasonable for him to get played by Kat and PR bf. And why wasn't he at the wedding?
Speaking of the Greek house - did James Rhodes borrow it for his recent holiday? I was wondering.
- BC seems more interested in that menu than her. She, on the other hand, almost poses like she knows that someone is watching.
Aren't Brits and Europeans more touchy with friends anyway?
- Well there's naive and there's downright dumb. I find it really hard to believe that the Russian could set up all the stuff that's been mentioned and Cumberbatch would remain totally oblivious.
As for the idea that her boyfriend was complicit in setting up the Ibiza "incident". It's possible I suppose but a bit weird.
Odd situation the lot of it and I agree R371 the ambiguity benefits both of them really.
- Not quite that touchy R373.
- There is no nearly 40 year old man on the planet that is THAT naive.
- 372 James Rhodes was at a hotel in Crete. Both he and Adam (Little Favour's producer) have been friends with BC since school, going so far as to call them his best friends. Even Alice Eve is someone he's acted alongside for years. Obviously they get publicity when they mention him, but they're old friends. It seems a lot less genuine when someone who's a known attention seeker uses him in this way without even knowing him well. I don't know how he feels about it because he hasn't said a word about it or been seen with her since. At this point I do find her almost as entertaining as him, albeit for different reasons.
I've heard stories that really dictate how gullible he is. The neutron cream is one. Also Mark Gatiss or Moffat said that he and Sherlock share the quality that they assume that everyone in the room is here to help.
- Ah ok, I thought he was in Greece for some reason.
And they may be old friends, but didn't they lost touch for a long time and then only started hanging out again in the last few years when BC got famous?
- Even if they lost touch, I hope Ben was there for James when he went through his rough patch. I can't help but have a soft spot for someone who plays piano so beautifully.
- It is very strange for BC to go along with everything that happened with Katia this far re: Greece & Ibiza. I get that silence is golden and all that, but to believe he’s not just a little affected from this nonsense is a lie. If they in a relationship (doubt it there is one but just sayin’) I understand their need to hide it since the fangirls’ rabid hate on the model is fierce and basically just want her head on their platters anyway. But, if they’re not dating/fucking/whatever, then what are they really doing, besides getting us to talk and speculate? ‘Cause I know for damn sure I’m not watching that reality show… Seriously though, BC’s already popular with Sherlock, officiating a lovely wedding, his recent films and his recent fangirling over Matt Damon. Plus, the rabid fangirls who some are very willing to make him those babies; he has all the publicity he needs!
Unless, BC wanted to be seen as a playboy? One week, the Russian, the next week the red-head at Cirque du Soir? I'm speculating and sure to be wrong on all accounts, but the “Summer of The Batch” was an entertaining mystery nonetheless! Now we shall see who he brings as his date to The Fifth Estate TIFF 2013 premiere next week.
- I think he's just having fun and enjoying himself. He's not in a rush to settle down anymore, and his busy schedule isn't conducive to a serious relationship. I think he'll show up to TIFF alone, but we'll see. Even if Katia was invited, I doubt she'd accompany him as her play in London runs almost daily until the end of September.
I thought that too, but then I saw stories of him eating stuff fans baked? Even little kids know not to eat food from strangers.
The Greece house is Cumberbatch's, not his parents. One of the BBC shows Wanda (I am a fan of his mum) did was filmed in Greece; he visited her one summer on set when he was little.
Both his parents were working actors with a long line of low-paying BBC gigs. I think they both still work if they can, despite their ages. His mother was a random scene extra in some shitty comedy just last year.
- What about Red? Did something rule out the redhead at the club?
- They're old friends from school and were out with a large group (plus BC's niece). I haven't heard anything but "just friends" about them so far.
I totally agree with you.
I don't know where you've got the 'rabid hate for the model from fangirls'. I've seen no evidence of that whatsoever and that's overdramatising in a HUGE way, There's nothing fierce and no desire for anyone's head on a platter.
The only rabid scariness I've seen is from a couple of absolutely deranged fans who seem hell bent on adoring her, for some bizarre reason. Hence creepy obsequious comments on her FB. I get really irritated when people immediately jump to the the 'ohh fangirl hate'. If you read everything that's been said, there's nothing deranged, rabid or crazy... People have just cottoned on to her OBVIOUS PR plan. The whole thing could not have been more obviously staged to publicise her, her play and the upcoming reality show. I can't believe some people can't see that. You don't have to be in the media to see it. It's glaring. She wants fame and she's getting it. They aren't in a relationship. She has a BF. He does her PR. Weird but true. She's admitted to his existence, I don't know why people are ignoring that.
This is an example of how easy PR is. A couple of decidedly unsexy photos and FB hints and people will NOT stop talking about it.
- I've never seen anyone "adoring" her R387. I have seen a few people saying basically give her a break, she's not exploiting the friendship as much as a couple of his male friends and nobody is criticising them. I think that's fair comment actually.
Now maybe I'm wrong but I do suspect at least some of the negativity directed at her isn't entirely unrelated to her being a skinny, blonde model as opposed to a girl with a more attainable look and lifestyle.
Everyone seems to love Olivia Poulet for example even though I don't think I've ever seen a photo of her where she isn't looking either bored or pissed off or read an interview where she comes across as a particularly warm or engaging personality. But because a lot of fans can identify more with her looks wise and think well if she can get him so can I they overlook things they'd pounce on in people like Katia Elizarova or Lydia Hearst.
Just my view based on what I've read.
Ugh, how disappointing that it ALWAYS comes down to that for certain people. No, it has nothing to with her being 'a skinny, blonde, model'. It really irritates me that it's impossible to have a normal conversation about this.
Who cares that she stares into a camera for a living, or has blonde hair.. It doesn't matter. And as for anyone saying 'give her a break', well perhaps those people have their eyes closed or very different standards on the practice of famewhoring. It's blatant. I've seen nothing of any unwarranted nastiness of people who have misgivings about her. What I HAVE seen is violent rabid "leave her alone and go die" lunacy. As for her FB comments.. One even said "team katia!!!" In relation to BC and she "liked" that comment.
And no, his male friends haven't done anything even remotely similar. That's a ridiculous argument. Her behaviour is sneaky and insidious and STINKS of PR.
I'm also not sure you're talking about Olivia because everything I've read with her, she's come over as witty, intelligent and down to earth. And as for photos of her looking 'pissed off', well maybe she's just not entirely comfortable with being in front of a camera? Unlike some people, of course,
And the accusation that Olivia isn't physicallly beautiful is ridiculous. She's a gorgeous woman.
- I honestly haven't seen anybody telling anybody to "go die" because they criticised Katia Elizarova. Is that really true? If so then, not for the first time, I think people are expending a disproportionate amount of emotion on this subject.
It's obviously a topic of very differing perspectives but not nearly important enough to get angry about so I will just say you're entitled to your view R389 but I still disagree with a fair bit of it.
- Cumberbatch comes across as very naive but even he must have known he was being played now. Maybe its taught him a good lesson.
- Well it hasn't done him any harm so maybe he feels it was worth it for the, shall we say, fringe benefits.
- Yes, that's exactly what I read. The fierce lunacy has absolutely come from that side of the fence.
- From a pr perspective he probably needed to come across as a bit more interesting/naughty. It worked! but I think his growing fanbase would find him hooking up with that russian model long term a bit distasteful. I'm looking forward to her reality tv show coming out on sky incase she name drops him.
I wish to compliment you for your fairness and honesty. You're clearly a lady and not a rabid frau.
- [R395] Oh dear. I wondered how long it would before another troll appeared.
As you can see from this thread, there are no 'rabid fraus' here.
It's a perfectly legitimate discussion on PR and gaining media attention. If you can't see that, then you maybe have literacy problems or you have very lax ideas on the business of garnering press. Perhaps this goes over your head or maybe you are simply a troll. I'd go for the latter.
Either way, don't use that disgusting term 'Frau', it's ridiculous and actually quite offensive to the intelligent women on here.
- Thanks R395. I'll always accept a compliment and I am indeed a laydeee. Whether or not I'm fair depends on where you stand on the subject I suppose. But, love it or loath it, it is my honest opinion based on what I've read on various fora over the past year or so.
- Why are people suggesting that Bens male mates have used him for attention. That's pretty freaking ridiculous. The Russian woman is thirsty for the limelight but James, etc - he's known those guys for years. I mean WTF ?
- Ps. That Frau thing is mysoginistic and dumb. Not ok.
- R398 It's exactly the same thing. All of them have "used" Ben, and I'm sure he agreed, for PR purposes or to promote something. But the males are excused while the young, beautiful Russian girl is the only one to blame. I wonder why.
Frau is a term we use on DL, if you don't like it you can go away, possibly to a forum for straight people.
- I agree, 398. I think people are trying to be fair to Katia by bringing up the times these guys have mentioned BC, but it's just not the same to me. They're some of his oldest friends, of course they're going to work together and talk about one another. And agree the past few ladies posting here haven't seemed like fraus, we can do away with that term for the moment.
Wow. There's so much wrong with what you said, I don't even know where to start. Firstly, his male friends he's known for years.. Godparents to their kids etc. Try and talk with some semblance of clarity for a moment and give one example where any of his male pals have 'used him for PR purposes'.
In your opinion, this woman is beautiful and what her being Russian has to do with anything, I'm not sure but that is how simplistic you see things? The only reason you can see for criticism. She's dropped constant hints about her association with BC on social networking, her BF has engineered PR opps for her and press releases based on it. Profitting from an association with someone well known. It's an age old PR technique and the whispers and rumours appear just before she suddenly decides she wants to be an actress and her reality TV show about rich russians. She is desperate for a higher profile. He communicates through Adams twitter particularly because it's a way of funnelling messages through to fans. James too.
You are an idiot if you can compare these situations and a hideous mysoginistic one at that. Oh and telling me to go away because I'm straight?
Lovely, Heterophobia too. What a charming human being you are.
- Just to add a little levity to this very serious discussion. Is this the hottest pic of Ben ever? Ok you can go back to you very serious discussions now and I'll return to superficiality.
Do you prefer jealous bitches?
Definitely, better than you that are attacking a girl you know nothing about, just because she is beautiful and Russian.
I guess that on IMDB the intelligent ladies called you out so you're coming here with your bullshit and bullying. Wrong place, I've already told you.
thanks for saying what I seriously couldn't be bothered to. But agreed to all.
Wow. What a seriously horrible person you are. And quote possibly significantly disturbed. I don't know what IMDB has to so with anything but there actually intelligent ladies here having a discussion and your perverse obsession with this woman is causing you to insult them. I'm reporting you, by the way.
I think calling people 'jealous bitches' is possibly against forum rules.
You're such an idiot that after all the time you post on DL (and by all the time I mean since when the russian girl was photographed with Ben), you haven't yet acknowledged the presence of TROLLDAR. If you scroll the posts you can see that she compliments herself: in fact Poppy seeds and Anonymous are the same person. So, she posted the posts 387, 389, 393, 396, 402 as Anonymous and - complimenting herself (you really have some kind of problem, please, take care of yourself) 398, 399, and 405 as Poppy seeds.
If this is not a jealous bitch, I don't know who it is!
- Can't remember whoever asked about the flaming nut jobs intent on adoring KE, but *coughs*. Here's one amongst us now. Poster 404 is not a regular datalounger nor gay. They haven't even got the intelligence to cover their tracks. Mentioning IMDB has caused them to expose themselves. My guess is MaryLou. Also prolific on twitter and Tumblr and NOTORIOUS for searching BCs name and flinging abuse at anyone who midly criticises him.
Go away love and up the meds.
- Add also post 408.
- Yeah, nice try. But actually that was a mistake in the quote. I actually thought I'd typed in 401. But well done if you think you've exposed me. You haven't. Sometimes I typed the username 'poppy seeds' and sometimes I didn't. What's the problem?
- Oh, and don't call me an idiot or a 'jealous bitch'. If you think anything that's said points towards that - YOU are the idiot. And most likely MaryLou.
- The problem is that you responded and complimented yourself,which is a thing that only an unhinged person can do. Stop your bullying and leave the Russian girl alone.
I hope that all the other posters have understood what kind of person is this nuts.
- R411 I don't even know who this Marilou is but you're probably the same coward, that posts also on IMDB, who already tryed to bully this Russian girlmore than once. Stop it.
- Can you read? I just explained I didn't compliment myself. I was complimenting 401, but typed the wrong number. Marylou, your behaviour is disturbed in the extreme and yes I am absolutely convinced it's you, now. I've see you on Tumblr and twitter too and is violent aggression is just awful. I'm surprised you haven't yet been banned in IMDB. This is a case in point of what I'm talking about with the real terrifying lunatics being the people who have developed a scary obsessive adoration with this woman due to her association with BC.
You need to stop.
- I agree R400. Two of Cumberbatch's male friends have recently used his name in association with their work projects. I'm not condemning them, I'm just saying Katia E isn't the only one who has utilized the PR advantage of the friendship. Yet she is the only one being condemed for it. I mean how is Katia dropping his name in relation to her play so much different or worse than, for example, Adam Ackland approaching Cumberbatch fans for financial support for a short movie he's making?
The total condemnation of one and approval of the other just doesn't make sense if you're really being objective so it does reek of double standards. As I see it anyway.
- I'm a gay man, idiot. I can't be banned from imdb because I haven't a subscription.
I really hope that people have understood what a kind of fool this fangurl is.
Btw, I apologize to Marilou, whoever she is, as I apologized to Hellen the last time. I'm really sorry but this totally unhinged fangurl must be called out for what she really is: a total nuts.
That's completely different. Adam didn't specifically 'approach Cumberbatch fans'. The Kickstarter fundraising works this way through public funding and there's nothing untoward about that. Additionally, BC is in Adam's film and a producer of it as wel, I think.. It's his project too. The situations aren't comparable at all. KE's play has nothing to do with BC.
Thanks. I like reasonable people.
- 415, I am unsure as to the depth of BC's involvement with Ackland's project. I think the fact that he signed on as a producer (for whatever its worth), has a leading role, and recorded a video for their kickstarter gives people confidence that he cares about the film. Likewise with Rhodes, he's appeared with him a few times playing music together and being extraordinarily enthusiastic about it. Yet all that exists between him and Katia are a few paparazzi snaps and snippets from interviews where she talks about receiving theatre lessons from him. It seems entirely one-sided, even if it's actually not. This, I think, is why people see her as being less than genuine. If he were to come out and talk about her play, or work on a project with her, it would seem more legitimate and less like trying to use his name for attention.
- Stop it now, MaryLou. This is silly. Of course you're not a gay man.
Seriously, take a step back, a deep breath and stop being so vile all over the Internet.
- The only vile person here is you.
I don't know why certain nuts think that, because DL is Anonymous, they can come here and behave in such a horrible way like a bunch of bullies. Even a nuts like you , when called out for what she is, should have a bit of decency.
- Seriously. You need to just step away from whatever device you're using. I'm not bullying, of course I'm not. Your behaviour is despicable and has been on all other sites too. I genuinely mean this - you need to think about getting some assistance or help. This isn't good or healthy for you.
- Well now to be fair R417, Adam Ackland has engaged with Cumberbatch fans on Twitter about this movie. Heck he has frequently engaged with them - he even posted pics of BC holding his newborn son. What's that if not playing to the Tumblr "ooh someone give poor Ben a baby" crowd. So yes he's "played" the association.
As for Katia's play. All she said was he gave her some acting tips. I doubt she forced him to do so at gunpoint so we must assume he did so willingly. Just like he appeared in James Rhodes Documentary and Adam Ackland's film. All favours or a helping hand for friends. Nothing wrong with that. And nothing really that different between any of them. So why single out Katia E for criticism?
I'm not trying to be combative it's just that I genuinely don't see the big difference you're seeing.
- You're mentally ill, which is a serious condition that shouldn't be dismissed and I even feel for you.
But you are also a bully and a vile person, probably with a double personality who has no problem in dissing other people and invent false accusations.
And it is this second part of your personality that I'm questioning.
What you are doing is wrong and I won't let you go on with it, so stop. Please.
- Yes, of course Adam has engaged with fans. Like I said before, he acts as a go between for BC who obviously doesn't want to be on Twitter himself but can use his trusted his pal to give any messages he may have.
As for the baby pic, I just think it was a nice thing to do, nothing at all to do with pandering to Tumblr. As for the film, it's not a favour for Adam - it's a project between a few of them. He's a producer and an actor and probably loved the project. His friends have nothing to gain, whereas KE is obviously keen to up her public profile. Katia's play has absolutely nothing to do with him at all. If he gave her help with acting, nobody needed to know this. This is in addition to her social networking which says been played out to connect to him on several occasions.
The appearances in the paper and photographs are suspicious in themselves but I have no proof who's behind them but the fact that her BF is very vocal about his PRing, is quite telling.
Maybe it's because you are a person without prejudices that you don't see a difference between his three friends.
- Stop now. I will have to report you, so please stop harassing me.
- I don't think that Adam posting a pic of Ben holding his child was any sort of calculated move. I think he thought it was a picture Ben's fans would enjoy and so he posted it. I'm glad he did, he doesn't need to post these private pics but he is generous enough to share them with us. No reason to shade him for it.
- Please, report me. We will see who's banned.
Let this girl alone, please. Your bullying is really disturbing. Stop it.
- No one is shading him. He did well; personally I think Cumberbatch is a generous person and if he can help a friend, male or female, he's very glad to do it. There's no problem at all.
The only problem is when an unhinged fangurl tries to fling dirt at another girl just because she's jealous.
- You need to stop this. It's unpleasant for everybody. I'm putting up with, because you've obviously got some background issues here, but you need to step away from the computer. You will be banned because not only are you attempting to bully me and harass, you are nearly spamming.
- That exactly what you should do. Stop harassing the Russian girl because you're jealous.
- Hi. Not sure what the hell is going on here and who is reporting who as I can never disentangle who is who anyway on here because of the anonymity.
But (I'm R423 by the way and various others that I can't now remember) I've seen this happen before on IMDB and got into an enormous fight with somebody who accused me of being a bully because I believed she was being unfairly judgemental of Katia based on what I thought to be very little evidence. I saw that as disagreement with her viewpoint. She saw it as bullying. Anyway we have now agreed to disagree but not without huge unpleasantness which involved each of us assuming the other had made posts on here which they hadn't.
So I'm just saying be careful about assuming you know who people on here are.
Lord knows Cumberbatches' love life or lack of it isn't worth this level of angst!
- Man, this is boring. I enjoy the gossip, armchair analysis and tea spilling but this silly bickering ruins these threads. Nobody cares. Take a breather. Take it somewhere else if you must.
- Bravissimo r434. The thread is ruined with the bickering.
- I'm with you [R434].
And besides that, is this really the only piece of gossip on this man? I mean, he's almost 40, he's been in the business for a decade and a half and the only "scandal" related to him is a few pap shots of him (a single man) sitting next to a woman during a weekend wedding?
Dear Lord, that's not only boring for a celebrity, but also for ordinary person.
Anyway, can't wait for the new Sherlock!
- What is going on here, is the poster here who has a twitter and Tumblr account and is MaryLou on IMDB, undoubtedly, is quite upsettingly troubled (and I'm not being flippant, I mean that seriously). She is doing the same thing here that she does on Twitter and Tumblr and that is to throw nasty and vicious insults at people for no apparent reason. It's vile and disturbing for all involved and she appears to have developed an unhealthy obsession with this woman due to her association with BC. So she remains here to keep spitting bile. It's really quite unpleasant. That's what is happening. Basically. She just needs to stop.
For everyone's sake, but mostly her own.
You're the usual reasonable lady but the fact is that the person who caused the trouble on Imdb has brought her bullying jealousy here on DL.
Probably, she thinks that since this is an anonymous site she can diss people, aka the Russian girl, without being called out. Well, this is not going to happen.
Since all this is very unpleasant I propose a deal. If she stop harassing the Russian girl I won't call her out anymore.
But I'm sorry to say if she doesn't stop, I'll be forced to go on.
So, up to her the choice.
- OK, this getting silly and it's genuinely giving me the creeps now. Can anyone tell me of there's a block button on here and can I double check the report abuse function?
- Stop it!
- DL rarely blocks threads. Wait for 600 posts and the thread will die.
- [R 415]
There is a double standard when it comes to PR plays by men and women, but this particular case is a little hazy because of Katia's behavior.
Ackland, Alice Eve and Rhodes are all documented friends of BC's and have his consent/involvement.
Katia is a lot less connected to him and appears to have staged those photos without his knowledge.
- You said very well "it appears" and honestly we don't know the level of friendship of these two.
- Tis madness here. I have to admit that a small part of me would love it if Cumberbatch and Katia E announced their engagement. Purely because of the epic entertainment value the ensuing fandom mega meltdown would provide for weeks if not years. Jackpot would be if she was pregnant too. But I mustn't be greedy. That might induce spontaneous combustion in some Tumblrites and I wouldn't wish my fun to result in fatalities.
- I would love to see that happen but think the tumblr items might explode with joy that Ben was going to be a daddy, R444. I imagine if anything it's just been a quick shag however, and why not?
- I was talking more of blocking abuse from a particular poster?Is there such a thing as an individual block button?
Well, I wouldn't hold your breath for that one, ;)
Some people have bypassed the fact that she herself has confirmed that she has a BF. Long term one at that. Who knows the intricate details but there's most definitely a huge PR play. It really isn't that difficult to do.
Once you've planted an idea of a conenction, the general public find it very hard to let it go.
- R445 R446. Yes I doubt it will happen but it sure would be fun. On the other hand, maybe it's just as well. What with Syria and all to sort out I'm not sure NATO has the resources to cope with a full on Cumberbitch war.
- This isn't like 1D where girls will get seriously butthurt about pregnancy. Although I did see posts about going to self harm again after Hiddles Wimbletongate. I think there is a small minority of fans who would not be happy if BC found someone for his baby momma. Katia or not.
True, this isn't like barmy one direction territory. BC has a lot of fans but apart from a small minority, most will be thrilled when he finally does meet someone who makes him happy. He's a a v nice guy, he deserves happiness.
I don't think anyone ever really took the Katia thing seriously at all. When he meets someone who's as private and anti fame as he is, he'll be able to keep things quiet.
- What's important to keep in mind is that, even if he doesn't make it public, he does have a sex life. It might be for a night or forever, it doesn't matter, but he has a sex life.
Stating the obvious? Of course, but sometimes it's useful.
- I'm glad to hear it R450. Although I might ask how you're so sure (is that you Katia?)
- Or perhaps a lovely glamour model that he met in an elevator at a press junket?
- R452. Wha???? Do elaborate.
- It was a joke. It happened to Hiddles.
Oh God, of course. I dont't think many people actually believe him to be or would want him to be celibate, but I think there's a bit too much of a tendency for people to take things at face value and believe everything they read or see.
- Really? I know nowt about Hiddles. I was just intrigued at the prospect of there being some actual evidence of Cumberbatch being more than just "old friends" with any woman he's met in the past few years.
- R451 are you real?
I think Lydia Hearst confirmed that *side eyes*
- R457. Yes I [R451] am real. Sorry if the fact that I can't take this whole tempest in a teacup seriously makes you think I'm not. I was just having what those of us who can't work ourselves into a frenzy over an actor's choice of girlfriend/friend call a laugh.
- Goodness! It's not like these two are the second coming of Rudolph Valentino and Natasha Rambova!
- Thank you R403 for the lovely photo of that handsome, well-tanned man...
- I wonder how O.P. feels about his "punching above his weight" comment.
- I'm tempted to post a number of links to photos so this reaches 600 asap. Here's a gorgeous photo of Cumberbatch
- Mmm, very nice R463! Succulent skin, no matter if pale or tanned.
I've wondered that, too. I think we can take a guess. Meanwhile, he still pines away for her in interviews.
Poulet dumped him, so I'd wager she wasn't surprised.
- Poulet dumped him? Sounds like a fib to save face all around.
- She broke up with him around 2005, probably took him back after his near-death experience in South Africa....still refused to marry him, have his babies and eventually moved out in 2011. (Rumor was because he was a workaholic and couldn't/wouldn't devote the time needed to the relationship.) According to him they're still "great" friends and their breakup was mutual.
- What if it's a Ross and Rachel thing?
- R469 They were on a break dammit!
All of Cumberbatch's 'famous' interview flubs are contained within a year of the breakup. I always figured he didn't take it well and probably shouldn't have been giving interviews until he got himself together.
I'm probably speaking from my experience, though. A good friend of mine split from someone after 14 years and was a right mess for a year and half after.
- All I know is when I read that "We want kids but not with each other" I was like "Well, shit."
- His poor mum has probably given up at this point with the "find my son a bird" shpeil.
- He's 37 and never married because he looks like he fell out of the Ugly Tree and hit every branch on the way down.
-  LOL, I never thought a comment on his being ugly could make me laugh.
I watched many of his earlier works, and even though they showed him as a talented actor, I had the feeling that he never had so much fun until Sherlock and STID. Most of his earlier roles are so depressed. It does make you wonder what kind of life he lived before.
- ARTPOP beats Madonna for most Pre-Ordered album in History
ARTPOP is already #1 in 52 Countries
- R475. Sure it was Sherlock that made him a sex symbol but I don't get the impression his life BC ( Before Cumberbitches) was all that bad either. Just different. I'll bet that sometimes he even misses it a bit now that he can't move without some random stranger wanting an autograph or a photo or to show him some truly deranged piece of fan "art".
- [R477] He has said he wants it both ways: his fame and his privacy. Good luck with that, bro.
- New trailer for National Theatre Live's Frankenstein.
- His real hair color is red.
His chest is naturally hairy but he's been waxing it.
- I was wondering what had been going on with his chest lately. He used to have a fairly normal amount of hair and then suddenly, it was gone.
- Pretty sure it was waxed for Star Trek.
- But that was 2 years ago. Unless he likes the look, he could have let it grow out by now. Still nice to know some guys know what it is to suffer for beauty.
- I remember when he did that charity bike ride and fangirls were all "Ooo he shaved his legs," but it turned out his legs WEREN'T shaved. His body hair is such a light blondish red that it doesn't always show up in photographs.
- So even his leg hairs are being analysed now. I know there's a price to pay for fame and he's enjoying a lot of the rewards right now. But still, with the amount of Internet space devoted to critiquing everything from his looks to his love life to his leg hair you have to feel a tiny bit sorry for the guy. Or is that just me?
I do feel sorry for him, yes. His life shouldn't be under such scrutiny. The recent Ibizia pics and situation publicity weren't his fault. There had obviously been some effort on her part to forge a social media connection that the public would make for the sake of her profile. I think he'll learn the lesson in the future that he can keep things in his private life, off the radar if he associates with people who feel the same.
As for the body hair discussion. Well, that's just a bit of flippant fun, innit?! ;)
I'm sure he'd be a damn sight less concerned about that than the gossip surrounding his personal relationships.
- Two actors that he loves, Matt Damon and Meryll Streep, have married non-famous people. I'm sure he'll take that same route.
- I wish he was in a gay movie.
He was gay in Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy
- r489 He never did anything gay. When he was moving, that's the only way I realized he was gay.
Well, I know The Imitation Game is already getting accusations about straight-washing but you never know.
- He also played the gay William Pitt in "Amazing Grace."
- Did he? Where are you getting that from R492? There's no historic account of William Pitt being gay and there was no mention of it in "Amazing Grace."
As for The Imitation Game, the filmmakers have repeatedly denied the story will be "straight-washed." I'd be surprised if it was because surely the fact that he was gay is integral to Turing's story.
- How could there be a chance of Turing's story being str8washed? Was he bisexual?
Turing was gay but was engaged to a woman he was good friends with at one point.
The straight-washing accusations came from an older biographer who claimed a script he saw exaggerated the relationship between Turing and the woman. He never said Turing was straight in it and also complained it invented a male love interest.
As it would turn out, the biographer didn't have a copy of the current Imitation Game script.
- They'll for sure play up the fiancee angle, then.
She was an important person in his life and worked with him, so they shouldn't leave her out. They remained close friends after he broke it off.
- r493, Pitt the Younger just flew under your gaydar.
- They're not going to 'straight wash' Turing. His personal story and untimely end, revolves around his sexuality.
Yeah, people were ridiculous over that. And the source was the Daily Mail of all things.
I am glad a small indie film company got the script out of Universal's hands, though.
- They'll do the thing where he makes out with his fiancee and doesn't touch the guys (plus he will angst over them in dramatic fashion).
- I doubt it very much. It was his liaison with a guy that got him "caught" and arrested for a start. I think the pink news are stirring things.
- Pink News just didn't fact check. They took an article from from some bizarre Turing fan.
- So apparently Benedict was spotted tonight dancing his ass off at a Lady Gaga concert. I wouldn't mind being in the crowd with him.
- I desperately want to see photos or videos of that, r504. Get on it, Tumblr!
- She even dressed as Sherlock Holmes. I know he's a human male but I love hearing stories about that dorky and awkward man at burlesque clubs and Lady Gaga shows.
- I know he fangirled so hard over Adele he nearly hurt himself, but I never would have pegged him for a Gaga fan. I wonder if he knows all the words to Paparazzi?
- He must be at the itunes festival.
- Now that would be an inspired girlfriend for Cumberbatch. Lady Gaga. Oh how I'd love to read the press on that.
- He was there with Laura Carmichael ( she's Lady Edith in Downton Abbey and was in Tinker,Tailor, Soldier, Spy). No word on whether she's another "old friend" or not.
- My gaydar must be busted, because he doesn't ping for me at all.
- Your gaydar is ok R511. Cumberbatch is not gay, just gay friendly.
- She was born in 86. His dates keep getting younger and younger. Also, she's blonde and he seems to prefer blondes for what it's worth.
- Who says they're on a date? In the photos it looks like they're part of a bigger group. But if they are dating I don't think the age gap is a big deal.
- Yeah, they're friends. He was there with (married) Caitlin Moran as well as some others.
- By the way, a review of the Russian's play came out today and it seems to be getting panned. The cast was criticised for being unconvincing and not doing the script justice. Most of the actors still received some faint praise, but she was not one of them.
- Here's Benedict dancing his ass off.
- Benedict dancing his ass off as Stephen Hawking
- Benedict dancing to "New York, New York"
-  SHOCKER: it/she blows
- I guess Star Wars is a legit possibility now.
- Seems so, r521. If they announce tomorrow, TIFF is going to be an absolute media frenzy. It would help explain why he dropped out of Crimson Peak beyond script problems.
- He's been very clear he adores JJ and loved Star Wars as a kid. I suppose this casting (if true) was inevitable. *yawn*
- Variety is reporting the SW rumor is not true. HR isn't commenting on it either, so my guess is it's not legit.
I do think the CP exit was a mix of script/production issues and a better offer, though. Just don't know what the offer is yet.
- I can't wait to find out if there is a better offer as I'm not too keen on Star Wars. At the moment, his 2014 looks pretty quiet, what with just Flying Horse on the schedule and we don't know if that'll even pan out. He may want to take a break but that seems to contradict everything we know about him. The man is addicted to his job!
- He has the penguin movie.
- Star Wars role officially denied by Cumberbatch's repat link.
On Twitter, the Variety guy who debunked this right away hinted that Cumberbatch has signed for something big, just not Star Wars.
I suppose the rumor could have been a move on Cumberbatch's PR's part, but with TIFF and all that just 2 days away, the timing is really crappy if you want control.
- Time for him to do Hamlet.
- Still think he's doing Star Wars but doesnt want a lot of questions at TIFF which will take the attention of The Fifth Estate. Its all in the wording of the statement. He's probably NOT completed signing for the film yet. He's been VERY happy lately.
- Oh no, please not Star Wars. I think that franchise has had its day. He HAS seemed very chipper in recent photos but I'm hoping its for any reason other than Star Wars.
- Where are all these "happy photos"? I'm not disputing he's happy.. I'm sure he is. But I'm just wondering how people what people are getting from these photos which suggest more happiness than he's previously had?
- I haven't seen anything unusual, but I can see why he's happy. He just wrapped a season of a highly-anticipated show, he's got several films on the horizon that are sure to be well-received, and Oscar season is coming up before too long. Not to mention the promise of any number of projects coming up. It's a good time to be Benedict Cumberbatch.
- And here's one of said projects.
- That top is a crime and she should never bare her belly again, dress for your body type people!
- Shit! Wrong thread guys, sorry about that.
- I went to see The World's End this weekend and the trailer for The Fifth Estate was playing. I really want to see Benedict in this movie now!
- By happy I mean when he was interacting with fans on the set of Sherlock he was the happiest I've ever seen him. He can be quote subdued when he wants to be especially with fans but over the last few weeks its been Mr Sunshine.
- He's everywhere at TIFF at the moment.
- with that name: CumBareBack, gotta be gay
- Despite the critical drubbing T5E is getting at TIFF, at least Benedict is getting mostly good reviews.
In other news, I'm more curious than ever to find out why he dropped out of Crimson Peak, especially now that Hiddleston has taken it on.
- Evidently the star of T5E dropped out of CrPk to star in TLCOFZ.
- Yeah, TFE reviews are mixed as hell but all praise Cumberbatch really highly.
If he dropped out of CP for the LCofZ, it's a good move. Trading a side part for a lead. The male parts in CP are smaller, the woman is the focus.
Plus LCofZ is Brad Pitt's company, which is likely to really take off with the success of 12YAS.
When Demonoid was still around, the spec script for Crimson Peak was up there. It wasn't good from what I remember, GDT wrote it with the same guy he wrote that crappy 'Don't Be Afraid of the Dark' with.
TH said he got a newly revised script. Might be as simple as BC being unable to wait for GDT anymore and wanting to open his schedule for something else. Not an official scheduling conflict yet but could be sort of thing if BC's in talks with someone else.
- Benedict Cumberbatch launches defence of Julian Assange
Cumberbatch says of playing Assange in new film The Fifth Estate, 'we show his ideas and integrity and self-sacrifice'
Benedict Cumberbatch, the British actor whose high-profile portrayal of WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange is generating Oscar buzz, has launched a defence of the man he plays in new movie The Fifth Estate. "I think we show his ideas and integrity and self-sacrifice," said Cumberbatch, the morning after the film opened the 38th Toronto film festival. "I think there's a lot to celebrate about his achievements."
In the film, Cumberbatch plays Assange as a quicksilver saviour, humane at times, deceitful at others, never less than human. The actor, 37, said empathy was key to his interpretation. "I think to try and go into this realm of thumbs up or thumbs down is so limiting. You want to find what's human about him. And that's not to soften the edges. [But] so it's something we can relate to."
This qualified warmth was echoed by the film's director, Bill Condon, whose back catalogue includes biopics of similarly contentious figures such as sexologist Kinsey and the film director James Whale. "Watching the movie," said Condon, "is the experience of being impressed and turned off by Assange every five minutes."
"He's an absolute pioneer," Condon continued, "and he's made a huge difference. He opened the door that Edward Snowden just walked through. For all of those reasons I think he's an extremely admirable figure." Condon also defended the decision to include a lot of biography about the Australian hacker in the film — including anecdotes about his background and flashbacks to an unhappy childhood — by arguing it was impossible to separate Assange's public and private selves. "There isn't a disconnect. It's all part of the same puzzle."
The Fifth Estate is based partly on the book by Guardian journalists David Leigh and Luke Harding about Assange's rise to international notoriety, and in particular, his collaboration with this media organisation, among others, in publishing thousands of classified diplomatic cables and war reports. The investigative reporter Nick Davies, who first reached out to Assange, is played by David Thewlis in the film, while Peter Capaldi plays editor-in-chief Alan Rusbridger. Dan Stevens, who plays former deputy editor Ian Katz, joined Cumberbatch and Condon at the press conference.
Stevens, famous both sides of the Atlantic for his role in Downton Abbey, recalled how he'd met the former Guardian deputy editor for lunch just before catching the train to Brussels for the shoot. "It's fascinating just getting behind what it was like being a journalist at that time," he said. "The danger and paranoia these guys were feeling. For some of them, for the first time they were fulfilling what they became journalists for." The experience of playing a newspaperman, said Stevens, had left him with an enhanced sympathy for "good journalists" and heightened criticism of the bad.
Cumberbatch refrained from engaging with questions about how he thought the impasse between Assange — currently living inside the Ecuadorian embassy in London — and the US government eager to extradite him would end. "It's very complicated and I'm not a legal activist. What I'd like to see is the man able to carry on able to do his work as the founder of WikiLeaks. Beyond that, due process has to take place in whatever shape of form."
The actor has three major films playing at the festival. As well as The Fifth Estate, he's part of the supporting cast of Steve McQueen's hotly tipped 12 Years a Slave, and the adaptation of Tracy Letts's Pulitzer-prize winning play, August: Osage County. Such visibility had led to Toronto's artistic director, Cameron Bailey, naming him man of the festival. Cumberbatch responded to the tag bashfully, as he also did to questions about his own tech prowess.
- My father lived in Tring for about ten years, and my work has a location in Tring. I've been there many times.
- Benedict will now have a new career as neocon hate object.
- I wonder if Cumberbatch ever sleeps? I think he mentioned from The Fifth Estate press conference that he'll be off to rehearsal for his next movie (I think it's The Lost City of Z). The man is a machine, in a good way!
- Rumor is that he's been all but cast as Luke Skywalker's son in the Star Wars rehash. Benedict so respected Abram's direction on the set of the recent Star Trek retread that he's willing to put his career in his hands. I can't blame him, he did elicit the most unforgettable performance of 2013 from Cumberbatch.
- So what you're saying R548 is that the Star Wars rumor wasn't a rumor? At this point I don't know what to believe because it felt that rumor fell from the sky without any actual sources supporting the rumor, lol. Oh well, I wouldn't object Cumberbatch's involvement with Abrams and Star Wars if it was true. And I agree, Cumberbatch's performance from ST:ID was unforgettable!
- I think he's off to rehearsals for The Imitation Game, r547, which starts shooting in a few weeks. Has he even officially signed up for The Lost City of Z?
I don't know how to feel about the Star Wars rumours especially since I'm not in love with the idea of him doing it but I'm not buying anything until it's official.
- Ah thanks, R550. I try to stay on point with his projects and already I almost forgot The Imitation Game!
According to this link, he's in talks to star in The Lost City of Z. So you're right, it's not official yet.
And with Star Wars, I'm ignoring all rumors until someone officially announces the cast.
- Well, Benedict has officially 'shat' down those Star Wars rumors.
-  not really, he said no one had been casted yet. so no for now, but he didn't rule out the possibility.
- I thought it was interesting that BC said with conviction that the old cast had been signed. Noone really knows that for sure but he said it with such confidence that it could only have come from JJ Abrams. So I do think he's been chatting with him. JJ Abrams adores him. Said he even loved him and not in that fake Hollywood way either. You could tell he meant it. So I find it hard to believe that there isnt a role in SW7 for Cumberbatch. The main roles are 4 young people so it cant be BC but I doubt he'd have time to commit to the franchise in that way anyway. I expect him to have a small role which he can dip in and out of.
Someone on Benedict IMDB page said the Crimson Peak script included rape and use of objects etc so maybe the coarse nature of the acts he'd have to perform in his role put him off. I am said though that Benedict's concerns couldnt be worked through with Del Toro. Gone off Del Toro big time.
- The man is a machine, in a good way!
You're right, R547.
Another thing I like about him is: “Variety is my guiding principle when I get the opportunity to choose – keep myself guessing. Challenging myself to do things I’ve not done, things that audiences haven’t seen,” explains Cumberbatch.
Yep, Crimson Peak was yucky. Went for a lot of shock value. I love horror movies, but not this type. Disappointing read.
Del Toro cancels projects all the time, even if they're in production already, so this still may never see the light of day.
I figure if Cumberbatch does SW, it'll be down the line, like the second or third movie. Can't see him committing to all three.
- 64 interviews in 3 days....and one fangirl calling his hotel room (allegedly)
- I don't think the Cumberbitches want to see him in any more rapist roles. "Atonement" was enough for one career.
- Oh, yeah, and the extremely graphic rape-murder in"Frankenstein" (though he and Jonny Lee Miller alternated doing it.)
- I never saw Atonement but I did read that the commentary says Benedict felt very uncomfortable playing the rapist in the film. I really wouldn't be surprised if part of the reason why he dropped it was because it went against his morals, in a way.
It's also worth noting that Benedict was tied up, beaten, and nearly killed in a carjacking back in 2005. He's played it down in a lot of interviews but it really took an affect on his life.
- Although I'm loath to call myself a Cumberbitch, r558, as a Benedict fan, I'm glad he dropped out of Crimson Peak, if that's where the script was heading. I, personally, want to see less of that and more action/physical roles (his physique, form and movement in STID really impressed me) and more romance. It looks like The Lost City of Z will bring some of the former and hopefully some of the latter will materialize in some upcoming roles.
- A reporter from a gay site was on the Fifth Estate red carpet. I hadn't realized the film was directed by an out gay director. The reporter chats with Benedict about the wedding he officiated for gay friends. Dan Stevens looks a lot better now than he did on Downton Abbey - more fit and healthy.
- Nice video R562. I agree with Bill Condon that Cumberbatch looks "pretty in a blonde wig". He does, to me anyway lol! And Benedict was pleased to officiate his friend's wedding although I liked he was said, that he was "being surprised of someone at the wedding decided to published those photographs at of me at a private event." Not stirring anything because he laughed about it, but just thought it was that was an interesting response.
Looking forward to his four films and his handsome face on the screen this fall!
- I just posted on the Hiddleston thread that he reminds me of a fast food meal. I soon forget it. Cumberbatch on the other hand is a meal I want to savour slowly for a very long time.
- He was not having it with this interviewer. I like this side of him. Good to see that he doesn't take shit from some of these guys
- He seemed pissy in that interview, and very defensive.
- r566 was the interviewer.
- LOL I definitely wasn't, for the record. It just made for uncomfortable reading. Although it was nice to see a non-fawning interview for once i.e. the opposite of the Caitlin Moran piece.
I rolled my eyes at the I'm a Buddhist and meditate once every 3 years crap. And he clearly has read that embarrassing Daily Fail article about why he can't find a wife.
- Yes R568. He's very defensive about his relationship status recently.
- r568 the Caitlin Moran piece has actually been the rarer type in print since he reached major success. The british press loves to stir shit even if it requires dishonest tactics and is hostile to success and to poshness. The Hollywood Reporter interviewer seems to come from the same sort of branch of journalism as the british tabloids. Same kind of tactics - lots of narration imposing the reporter's negative interpretations and projections on the subject which frames only a few small snatches of actual quotes from the celebrity.
Benedict Cumberbatch is a wordy guy who gives long answers. This interview went on for over 45 minutes, but the article provides only the reporter's own supposed general impressions, the reporter's vague dissatisfied entitlement, and some quoted answers have mostly been edited down to a mere sentence or two. In reference to the Buddhism thing the quotation is a single word with no context whatsoever.
- Didn't Cumberbatch teach young Buddhist monks English for a year in a temple? I'd hope he'd have developed some appreciation for the religion, at the very least.
That interviewer was a shithead, though. There's not a lot of quotes here. Most of it is the author's impressions, and they seem as if they started off pressuring him.
- Cumberbitches in a snoot.
- Fantastic to see him on the cover of the Hollywood Reporter ramming home the point he's an A lister now. Hiddleston must be having kittens.
I'm glad the interview had some bite. He's an interesting guy and it came across.
- He's an A-lister?
- R574 No. The general population has never heard this guy's name.
- Yeah, let's not jump the gun quite yet, BBC enthusiasts.
Are they really? They shouldn't be. He should be bitchy more often. You can't be a doormat with press where's he going.
- From THR interview, about answering questions in full:
"If he wants to be a major star, he may have to, like it or not."
A-list actors answer questions they don't want to or give the full truth? Please. This reporter must be new to this or not very bright.
On the upside, he's not a fame-whore.
- IMDb commnet which sums it up "On one hand, it may be hard to reconcile the BC presented here with who
we see in some of his video interviews, where he seems pretty "game" and
affable. But on the other hand, it just makes him seem so human, like
he's not willing to just "go along to get along" when he disagrees with
someone or their approach. He wants to make sure what he thinks is
important comes across. He's not just going to play the game to try to
come out "on top" , and he's not so overly
caught up in being seen as "nice" that he's afraid to go toe-to-toe with
someone if he thinks he's being misread or played. "
- Typical IMDB pomposity.
- After reading The Hollywood Reporter interview again, yeah Benedict was not in the mood with that interviewer. Can't blame him really, given he was filming Sherlock on set that day, according to the interview. Maybe that interview took place after Benedict dealt with the paps, holding up papers with his messages about recent events? Or maybe he's exhausted of the fans and the paps speculating about his personal life? (Sorry baby, you're hot and some of us want to know what's up.) Either way, homeboy want none of it, lol.
Speak your truth and don't hold back, man! And keep smiling.
- The editorial director of the Hollywood reporter tweeted hours ago
Wow,Benedict Cumberbatch issue sold out at thr online store in minutes. Good news: store just got restocked
- So, he gay, right?
And he's going to get the damn Oscar.
- R583 stop trolling.
He's not gay, he's gay-friendly.
- I'm not trolling, asshole. It seems like the guy is gay. Any time a star gets nervous when talking about their personal life, it's usually because they are gay. Now that's a fact.
- R585 Until recently I'd have said you were wrong but now I am beginning to wonder.
- Yes, you are trolling. Either that or you just talk shit. He's not 'nervous' talking about his personal life, he's annoyed about the intrusions and pissed off that his privacy is always compromised in one way or another. He's also tired of stupid speculations such as yours from people who don't know anything about him.
- R587 And what exactly do you know about him other than what you've read?Stop being so defensive. Makes you look like you're scared R585 might be right.
FFS, are kidding me? 'Scared they might be right'? I never fail to be shocked at how unbelievably dumb the public are. Ridiculous and unfounded speculations which are utterly laughable. I'm not defensive - I'm just bemused.
Nobody would care if he was gay, but he isn't. There's literally no evidence for it at all. No wonder he's so pissed off right now, gangs of strangers sat round dreaming up the next load of crap they can debate.
- I apologise R589. You're not defensive. You've moved up a notch to hysterical. Calm down love. On the Internet nobody can hear you scream.
'Hysterical,'? Really? Seriously, Get a better routine, dude, cos this one sucks.
Asshole, you're right at least on one thing. Generally, when a star doesn't want to talk about his personal life, you can include this fact in your list of things that doesn't add up about him and summed up to other considerations, you can come to the conclusion that he is gay. But not in this case, because almost everything hints at the fact he's straight and gay friendly.
- R592. Really? You couldn't manage to submit that reply without starting with "asshole."? Good point undermined by childish invective.
- The childish invective was used by R585. You get what you give.
- But sticking to the topic and leaving out the abuse is so much more effective. No need to mimic that which you deplore. It just brings you down to the same level
- Part Dos?
- If you don't like DL style, you can always go away, R595. Maybe IMDB, it's the right place for you.
- Thanks for the advice R597. But I'm enjoying myself here.
- I've never understood why fraus post on DL.
- Because they're interested in the topic?