- I didn't know she had a book. I want to read this, what's the title?
- I saw her live a couple of years ago. Charming, funny, and lots of energy.
- Didn't somebody in Cyndi's family die in Hurricane Sandy?
- Does she dish on Madonna?!
- I love her. Great performer. Incredibly supportive of her lesbian sis and of all G&L causes.
I only wish she was a lot richer than she is now--she should be.
- Always loved Cyndi-she's a great singer, songwriter, creative, fashion original trendsetter, pretty, friendly, and REAl. She's basically everything Madonna is not. Such a shame that Cyndi wasn't the one who had the bigger career.
- She hated the Madonna rivalry and didn't participate but she gets some subtle digs in here and there. She is really serious about her commitment to gay rights. She made some terrible choices in men and has a pretty refreshing outlook on everything. Some of the shit she said to record executives faces is priceless.
I've been trawling youtube for old stuff and I'm just amazed at how many great songs she's had.
I hope Kinky Boots turns out well (I love the movie) what's the gossip on that? I'd love if it made her a zillionaire.
- From all accounts, one of the reasons she didn't have a bigger career was that she was impossible to get along with. It might not be true, but I've heard she's a bitch from many people who would know.
- Does she say who wrote it?
- R8 and Madonna? lol Cyndi I think wanted complete creative control in everything she did and that's probably where the fights started. but Madonna has never been nice and made it BIG.
- does she still live in a palatial rent-stabilized apartment in the Apthorp?
- Excellent point, r10.
I saw her live a couple of years ago and she was great. It was a very upbeat show.
- Cyndi made a few really telling remarks when she guested on WATCH WHAT HAPPENS. Without actually dissing Madonna, she told a story of seeing M in the 80s surrounded by an army of security guards, not really interacting with others, and said to herself, "I'm not that girl."
- I love the fact that these young'uns on all the singing competition shows still sing Cyndi because her songs have range and aren't outdated. Madonna has a 3 note range and sings in the key of middle C. Even kids know that won't win a singing contest.
- I know it's from her point of view but corporate label stuff was horrendous and so sexist. She had to fight for every little bit of control she had and yes, she's blunt. And a woman with a Queens accent. She was too shy or whatever to demand the best producers and the ones they stuck her with literally ruined songs or told her she couldn't do stuff. Plus she was with Sony and all Tommy Motola cared about was Mariah. She was friends with his first wife so they blackballed Cyndi.
- Cyndi's involvement with the WWF didn't do her careers any favors. It was tacky and trashy for a huge pop star to associate herself with that redneck shit.
- Madonna could only wish for a "True Colors" or a "Time After Time".
- I agree, R16: that was an error in judgement on her part.
- Thanks, OP! I just put a hold on this book at the library.
- Saw her in New York at the Jones Beach Theater, in a dilapidated theater on 42nd Street, A Christmas show at Madison Square Garden, and a show at Webster Hall that was so packed it took me 15 minutes to get from front of stage to outside as fire trucks pulled up to start pulling out the over packed crowd.
- I've always thought that while Madonna made more money, Cyndi had more fun.
The Voice of the Night
- Sorry but Cyndi's voice is awful. Her True Colors and Time After Time are gravely and snarly.
If you hear others sing those songs they are OK. Cindy had the typical 80s career. One big first lp, a mediocre second LP and fade out.
Just like Tiffany, Debbie Gibson, Laura Branigan (She actually skipped the second and faded on the third), Sheena Easton (who managed two comebacks but always faded out on the second lp of her comebacks), the Pointer Sisters (who were around before the 80s but made it huge only after Breakout) and so on....
The female pattern was set. Also for girl groups like the Go-Gos and The Bangles.
Madonna and Whitney and Janet came in and blew out all the other females. All that was left, were new artists to make a splash with one or two lps then off to oblivion (Toni Basil)
- R17 bitch please! Madonna had Live to Tell, Like a Prayer, Frozen etc. And the difference is Madonna WROTE those songs.
- The fact is by the late '80's CL was already fizzling out. MADONNA, on the other hand, was having one of her peaks with the critically acclaimed Like a Prayer album. Rolling Stone called the album "as close to art as pop gets". Cydi peaked with her excellent first album, than it was all downhill. Lady Gaga is following the same as exact path as CL. To the poster who said Lauper was attractive and a fashion trendsetter, are you blind? She was quirky looking at best and didn't start no damn fashion trends. Madonna was no model but was at least attractive, she also every teenage girin the world dressing in that "Madonna look", there had nevet been anything like it in pop music before or since.
- R22 clearly you're deaf. Cyndi is a great singer with a lot of range.
R24 oh a Vadgestanbot invaded the thread...those songs you're talking about-you mean to say Madonna paid someone off to get writing credits. Also, in 1984 many girls were dressing like Cyndi, including Madonna. Once Cyndi came out, Madonna started copying her look for a period of time. That is fact. In 1984 Madonna's look was a watered down less edgy version of Cyndi. After that is when Madonna started copying Marilyn Monroe and other old hollywood actresses. So yes, Cyndi was a trendsetter. Go do your homework before you spew lies.
- Madonna's career lasted longer and was more successful, because she re-invented herself / her public image to keep herself fresh and new and appealing to old and new fans.
Cindy decided to keep the kooky 80's image, which in a way made her more authentic than Madonna who - while being a self promotion / marketing genius - came off as fake throughout her career.
- heard Cyndi plays airport cocktail lounges now to make ends meat.
- The long gap between Cyndi's first album and the second was too long. I loved the first one that came out in 1983. Waiting until 1986 for the second one didn't help her career.
- It was her Uncle George who died in his Rockaway home during the hurricane.
- R25 Madonna first primiered with Everybody in October 1982 and her look was already established. Lauper didn't come out until almost a year later in the fall of 1983, so who's copying who? Many of Madonna's collaborators from Leonard to Babyface to Pharrel have CONFIRMED that she writes the lyrics to her songs herself, with her producer partner writing the music. Babyface went as far to say that he's never worked with an artist who works as hard as Madonna does, she's the first one in the recording studio and the lasr one out. And let's not compare the biggest selling, richest most successful and most famous female artist of all time, who in 2010 Time magazine named as one of the most powerful and influential women in history, to an '80's two album wonder. What's next comparing Elvis to Dion?
- I've seen her several times over the years. Remarkable voice, interesting material but apparently stuck on a label that didn't really know what to do with her.
- The reason Madonna made it and Cyndi floundered was because little suburban girls wanted to wear multiple bracelets and their underwear as outerwear NOT shave checkerboards into their hair.
- [quote]heard Cyndi plays airport cocktail lounges now to make ends meat.
- Jesus Christ, enough about Madonna, not everything is about Madonna. But if you're trying to say who copied who, Cyndi was dressing like that since the 70s. Madonna's producers also sped up her voice to sound more like Cyndi. There, no more Madonna talk.
Cyndi will stand the test of time. Her music already holds up much better. I love her, she was into gay rights way before anyone else too and is very serious about the cause.
- Oh and what's the story on the Kinky Boots musical? It sounds like a great idea, has anyone heard the songs yet?
- [quote]Sorry but Cyndi's voice is awful. Her True Colors and Time After Time are gravely and snarly.
Janis Joplin, Bob Dylan & Bruce Springsteen
- "Madonna's producers also sped up her voice to sound more like Cyndi."
Huh? Madonna's debut album, where she sounded like Minnie Mouse, was released BEFORE Cyndi's debut.
- R37 thank you! You rock! Some of these bitter queens can't deal with Madonna's record breaking success and ferl the need to slag her off at every chance.
- She should have held on to her wacky/party time image and good time music for another album or two before going all soft rock and serious with songs like True Colors.
Her Cyndi Lauper and Friends Christmas show at Beacon Theater looks like it'll be a blast. I wish I had someone to go with. Check out the way gay list of friends:
Alexis Krauss of Sleigh Bells
Adam Duritz and David Immerglück of the Counting Crows
- Cyndi's awful nasal voice with her Queens accent was like nails on a chalkboard.
- A Cyndi / Terri Nunn duet sounds like an awesome idea.
- Remember Madonna's "Queens Accent" lol.
- Hey, Madonna and Cyndi are both still working so good for them.
- R43 yeah but one is selling out arenas and stadiums with the years highest grossing tour and released an album that debuted at #1 in over 40 countries and has sold 1.7 million copies, and had the most watched TV show in US history with her Superbowl halftime show and the other is playing gay pride parades and airports.
- I [italic]love[/italic] Cyndi.
Saw her at Jazzfest in N.O. a couple of years ago and she ruled.
- I know a lot of the Madonna worship is just trolling but it's possible to like BOTH artists. It's not a fucking competition.
- She does a lot of LGBT and AIDS benefits.
She's performed on Fire Island several times.
Genuinely nice woman.
- I like lots of musicians, amung them Cyndi and Madonna. I don't know why every thread turns into a Madonna vs The World thread. It gets very tiring and kills the conversation. That said, while I appreciate both Cyndi and Madonna, if I had to spend fifteen minutes with one or the other, I'd pick Cyndi becauseshes authentic. Madonna is a shallow, self-obsessed piece of cunt dawdle.
- Cyndi's a known cunt too.
- R48 but that's why we love her! And for the record I like Cyndi and from what I heard from her it sounds good and she has immense talent. So good for her.
- When I first saw them both on MTV in the 80s Cyndi always seemed more relatable and fun,Madonna always struck me as being smug and just unkind.
- Cyndi's awesome "I'll Be Your River" from 2005's "The Body Acoustic" trumps anything by Madonna in the past decade (plus).
- R30 clearly you have a comprehension problem. Madonna's debut album did come out first yes. Madonna looked different there. Once Cyndi debuted, her songs and album were an instant smash and Madonna quickly CHANGED her look to to resemble a more watered down look of Cyndi. Cyndi had the shaved head and the hair to the side...Madonna just put her hair to the side but grew it out. If you can't a see a difference in Madonna's looks from her debut album to after Cyndi became popular, you're either stupid or just delusional.
Cyndi's debut album was a huge smash and Madonna was a nobody until her second album. Madonna was so threatened by Cyndi that she copied her in 1984.
The truth hurts-Cyndi is original and Madonna rips everyone off
- Rita Coolidge? Had no idea she still performed.
- [quote]Madonna rips everyone off
This is true. I like her, but she really does rip off many. Speaking of Madonna, I find it comic irony that she was recently rebuffed by Lady Gaga. Apparently, Madonna wanted Gaga to do a duet or something with her, and was flatly denied. She summed it up by saying something along the lines of "That's okay. I've been rejected before. It builds character."
- Madonna is very mainstream pablum, but on the other hand, if I hear "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun" one more time in my life, I will fucking scream.
That being said, I love rock bios and took the book out of the library, but a new bio of Blondie called Parallel Lives by Dick Porter & Kris Needs also just came out so I am reading that. Blondie was much more edgy at first and came out of that whole CBGBs scene with Television, Patti Smith, Talking Heads, and The Ramones, and I find that much more intriguing. Also the Andy Warhol connection is fascinating to me.
Will get to the Cindy bio after. And yes, I loathe Madonna. She stole from a mentor of mine who was integral in the downtown New York scene and still is, who was always cooler than she was and will always be cooler than she is and so I am firmly in his camp and no one is even allowed to utter her name around him.
- R56 spill the tea! Who is your mentor and what did Madonna steal from him? Also when? of course we're not shocked. We expect that behavior from the cunt as she's done it her whole career.
- Alright, his name is Johnny Dynell and he is a very well known, sought after DJ who, among other gigs does Elton's Oscar party every year, but who keeps weekly gigs going at several gay parties. He worked with Madonna at Danceteria when she was a coat check. He had the same producer, Mark Kamen, I believe, and cut a 12" called "Elements of Vogue" which was about the voguing houses in Harlem, which he was instrumental in introducing to downtown New York. There is a famous picture of him with Nell while she attempts to vogue, of Rocky Horror fame and owner of the nightclub Nells, where Dynell did a night and featured many voguing legends. Dynell is a member of the House of Extravaganza, himself.
Anyway, Dynell's album came out first, and featured several samples, and Madonna basically lifted the entire concept of the song, including using the same samples, with of course, no attribution to Dynell.
I am not sure that Dynell would consider himself my mentor, he is actually one of the kindest and humblest people and would never take credit that was not due him, but that right there has influenced my approach to my life in general, and art specifically. He is a very hard working man who works his ass off to give people a good time.
Most of the downtown scenesters who are still around do not have fond memories of Madonna. There is an article in this month's issue of Paper Mag that is about Patti Astor, who ran a gallery called "Fun", where many graffiti artists were featured, among them, Jean Michel Basquiat and Fab Five Freddy. Patti Astor has written her memoirs and writes about how Madonna gave blow jobs in the bathroom and fought with Jean Michel because she used his loft without his permission while he was out of town and trashed the place, telling everyone it belonged to her.
- [quote]and the other is playing gay pride parades and airports.
Actually she has a successful new autobiography and is opening a big new musical on Broadway but thanks for playing.
- Kinky Boots, I'm seriously interested, what's the skinny, do I need to find the Broadway thread?
- [quote]Cyndi's awful nasal voice with her Queens accent was like nails on a chalkboard.
Really?! Because I would loooove if she read her own book for Audible.
- R56 thanks for the info. Wow Madonna sounds like a nasty piece of work. Stealing ideas, using people's property and trashing it...tsk tsk. I guess her fans don't care that she's a horrible person.
- R53 Madonna's debut sold 5 mil in US alone and had 3 huge hits, so it's bullshit to say she was a nobody beforeLike a Virgin. LAV did take het feom pop star to superstar but she was well known before LAV look at the video for burning up in summer 83 M already has her look down, video came out BEFORE CL even debuted with her first video.
R56 GaGa' manager confirmed that Madonna did indeed ask Gaga to duet with her during Madonna's first of 1 sold out dates at Yankee Stadium but Gaga couldn't because she was on her less successful Born This Way tour in Europe at the time, to bad as it would have been the only time in her career GaGa played at Yankee Stadium.
- R63, ever the Madonna apologist. She's OVAH, darling. The only thing keeping her going are her deluded middle-aged fans who are consistantly duped into paying high prices for her concerts.
Gaga is hot, she's happening, she's NOW. She is always updating her Facebook and Twitter feeds about her shows, and how many fans are in attendance:
Today-- "Playing for 43,000 in Argentina tonight, stadium show in BUENOS AIRES. Today little monsters tried to tip my van over, COMPLETELY WONDERFUL"
Nov. 12--"50,000 in Sao Paolo last night. HOW IS THIS HAPPENING I ONLY HAVE 3 ALBUMS AND SOME PEOPLE THINK ITS 2 AND A HALF. i love being a popstar"
Nov. 7--"OI GALERA! In Rio + My beautiful fans are wearing leather & bandanas in the sun, bad asses, gorgeous smiles & fists in the air! I HEAR U! Brazil, there's hundreds @ hotel and this is what the f*ck its all about, revolution through music. Get ready to party at the show in 2 days. I'm sending you hamburgers, fries, and coke. I love you monsters."
Sept.--"What a dream, @ Stade de France warming up to the screams of 75,000 monstres Parisiennes. A stadium in Paris? #TellMeImAwake Vous etes mon couer Paris. I know it isn't proper French, just a bit of confused poetry to express my love :), in m...y way. #BornThisWay"
- Thanks for the fun dish, r58. Love it when someone comes along with firsthand tattle.
- R64 twwets are delusion she's FLOPPING everywhere in South America and it's all over the papers Google it one paper said Gags only sold about 1/2 of her tickets that went on sale it's a disaster! That's after Gaga pulled a desperate buy 1 get 1 half off deal on tickets. Madonna on the other hand is continuing to set records over there as she sold out all 100,000 tickets to 2 shows in Medville, Columbia in record time. Madonna hits South America next week the shows will be taped for her tour DVD. And Madonna WILL NEVER be over when you're a legend and the whole is still willing to pay hundreds of dollars to see you live, GaGa' popularity has already declined significantly in the last 2 years and will continue to do so
- Cyndi co-wrote her tunes and I'll bet she had more input than Madonna; Miles Davis covered "Time After Time" -- Miles Davis would never in a million years cover a Madonna tune. And Madonna does NOT re-invent herself: she sells herself as a sexy chick, always has always will - she's the perfect example of a one-trick pony. Cyndi actually does explore different performing media (and is a much better actress than Madonney One Note) including different musical performances and genres. Madonna's shows are all the same: big productions with dancers, special effects, etc. - can you imagine Madonna doing a concert gig with a 5 piece combo?!??
- Madonna's tour has sokd over 2 million tickets with just 88 shows I guess she gas a LOT of those so called "gay middle aged fans". Whil Gaga's tour has only sold about 1.3 milliin tickets with almost 20 MORE shows than Madonna.
- Instead of continuing to rip off Madonna Gaga will take a page from Cyndi and do gay pride parades in the next 5 years, mark my word. While Madonna will still be selling out stadiums and arenas.
- You are deluded, R67, and a sad Madonna loon. She had to downgrade from the M&T Bank Stadium in Baltimore to the Verizon Center in DC because, despite what you ass kissers think, she can NOT play stadiums everywhere. She has been drawing ire throughout this entire tour. She was booed in Paris last month. Her latest album was such a flop that it holds the distinction of having the fastest fall from (a shadily obtained, by the way) #1 in recent history. Her new songs are DOO-DOO. She is OVER. And speaking of the truth hurting (and since this is a CYNDI thread), you need to realize that Madonna was neveer as vocally gifted as Ms. Lauper. And she never will be.
- R67 there was nothing sexy about Madonna during the Evita, Ray of Light or American Life eras.
- [quote]Madonna's shows are all the same: big productions with dancers, special effects, etc.
Right, and she employs all of those special effects because of her immense lack of talent.
- Trolldar R69 and watch the screen turn piss yellow. Ha!
And Gaga shows more of a Grace Jones/Bowie influence than Madonna, anyway.
- Another Cyndi classic...
- R70 Madonna NEVER booked a show at the M&t center in Baltimore for this tour! Delusions! Madonna was booed in Paris in the summer for only giving a 45 minute show not the usual 2 hour show as Madonna did the "special" intimate concert as a thank you to her fans. I would boo too if I thought I was getting a 2 hour show and got only 45 minutes from the Queen. Ido no due to popular demand Madonna had to add dates including a second date at Yankee Stadium after the first one sold out in 20 minutes and a second MSG date.
- R70 and Madonna's so called flop albun has still sold 1.7 million copies and is among the years best sellers, Lauper would MURDER people to see those sales, hell any artist over 40 would.
- [quote]Madonna's so called flop albun
It's not so-called, honey. It IS.
- R77 and worldwide Madonna still outsells every artist in her age range!
- Sales of Madonna's first 3 studio albums worldwide
Madonna 10 million
Like a Virgin 21 million
True Blue 25 million
Sales of GaGa's first 3 studio albums worldwide
The fame 8 million
The Fame Monster 7 million
Born This Way 5.6 million(with 99cents Amazon specials)
- Hole in My Heart (All The Way To China)
- I don't know who is fucking loonier, the Madonnastan or the Anti-Madonna Troll.
Both oyou need to give it a rest already. She's just a fucking pop singer.
- "Her latest album was such a flop that it holds the distinction of having the fastest fall from (a shadily obtained, by the way) #1 in recent history."
And the holder of the highest sales drop before this was Gaga's Born This Way.
- R63 Madonna's first album peaked @ #8 on the charts and became more popular in the following years after she was a star (5X platinum). It was not an instant smash. Her singles off that album were #16, #4 and #10. While that's great for anyone, Cyndi's debut was better by far. Her album peaked @ #4 went 6X platinum, and her first 4 singles went #2, #1, #3 and #5.
After their debut albums, all the attention was on Cyndi so obviously threatened Madonna jacked her style throughout 1984.
Madonna didn't mind older icons before her, but she was always jealous of peers who were either prettier than, more talented or both. That's why in the 80s she copied so many others to try and steal their thunder.
- "She should have held on to her wacky/party time image and good time music for another album or two before going all soft rock and serious with songs like True Colors."
So true, r39 . Her second album had no memorable fun hits.
Has anyone seen Cyndi in the movie "Vibes"? Any good? Worth getting?
- Madonna may have paid homaged to Monroe, which she talked about all the time and gave credit to Monroe where credit was due as an huge influence. But Madonna 's style was unique for the '80's and her own, I'm sorry but I don't remember Lauper dressing in in lingerie and underwear as outerwear with a BOYTOY belt, I remember lauper with wacky, eccentric hair colors and fashion in fact it could be argued that Lauper's look was asexual while Madonna's was very sexual.
- R56/58, Thank you for some actual "insider" gossip! More, please!
[quote]Plus she was with Sony and all Tommy Motola cared about was Mariah. She was friends with his first wife so they blackballed Cyndi.
Please. Lauper's SHE'S SO UNUSUAL was released in '83, TRUE COLORS in '86, and A NIGHT TO REMEMBER in '89. Carey's debut MARIAH CAREY was released in '90. Regardless of her relationship with Mottola, Carey was not the reason Lauper faltered. Cindy had peaked and was fading by the time of Carey's first release.
I was a teen when Madonna and Lauper were just hitting it big. I am certain that I read a critic's article about them in TIME or a similar weekly in which they were compared and contrasted. The critic ended the article by predicting that Madonna would be a flash in the pan, and Lauper would stand the test of time. I've since wondered what he thought of his words, as Madonna supernovaed and Lauper became a WEHT for many.
- R86 Vadge picked up on the lingerie as outerwear train a few years AFTER Vanity had famously done it and done it better at that.
Vadge in the 80s was all about copying everyone else's looks. In no way were her looks original. She kept going through phases.
She started her career by copying outfits by Debbie Harry, Chrissie Hynde and Pat Benatar. Then she moved on to Cyndi's look. Then she alternated between Marilyn Monroe, old hollywood and Vanity's looks.
- And Janet Jackson is still broke and fat.
- "Madonna could only wish for a "True Colors" or a "Time After Time"."
Seriously, the funniest thing I've ever read on Datalounge.
- R88 who the fuck is Vanity, I want pictures ans dates of this person Madonna supposedly copied.
- [quote][R88] who the fuck is Vanity, I want pictures ans dates of this person Madonna supposedly copied.
Vanity was one of Prince's sidekicks (pre-Apollonia) during the early 80s.
I have no information about whether Madonna co-opted her look or not, but that's who R88 is talking about.
The Voice of the Night
- Neither Madonna nor Cyndi Lauper were particularly original. They were just mainstream versions of sexy-quirky punk-New Wave singers like Nina Hagen and Lene Lovich, who were much more interesting musically and as performers but were way too weird for the Top Forty.
- Here's the thing, while I'm not gonna deny that Madonna borrowed from others, one of the things that gets lost is that Madonna has always ACKNOWLEDGED abd thanked the people that inspired her. She gave credit where credit was do.
- Cyndi didn't play the fame game. She didn't marry another young rising star, no tabloid frenzy wedding in Malibu. She hung out with pro wrestlers. Yes, the gap between the first and second album was too long. She also didn't court controversy to promote her second album. Cyndi also tamed down her look for the True Colors album. By the third album the edgy looks and style had been replaced with bland material and clothing. I think the four-year gap between albums three and four is what really did the damage. In between she was back to wrestling again, getting married in an ring. Her fourth album was great, but that was 1992, the year of the Seattle sound and her music seemed completely out of step.
She has a very warm and personable camera presence. I loved acting in Vibes, Life with Mikey, Mad about You...She could still play the kooky grandma or neighbhor on a tv sitcom. Hard to believe Cyndi could be someone's grandmother!
- Cyndi is a few years older than Madonna so that's why after the first album she toned down her crazy look and personality. She was in her 30s during most of the 80s so she went for a more mature sound and the public wasn't ready for it. Cyndi always looked younger than her real age so I think people expected her to be more scandalous and vapid as Madonna.
and btw Vanity was HOT. She totally worked the lingerie look in the 80s before the other women were doing it. She started in 1982 when Madonna was a bit chubby and covered up.
- Cyndi trying to record we are the World and Kim Carnes makes the most painful faces when Cyndi hits the wrong notes. a must see
- I really love her, but two years ago I was at a sound check at a benefit where she was performing, and she was a real pain in the ass. Not a "strong woman" who would be given a pass if she were a man (yawn!), but whiny, and time-wasting. She kept asking who was smoking. There was a stage full of musicians and nobody appeared to be smoking, but it was about 4 hours before the event at Roseland Ballroom in NYC, and the building was full of lighting guys, sound guys, caterers, florists, the house staff and literally a couple hundred people. It's not as if someone might have stood right outside the nearby stage door and smoked a cigarette, but no. We all had to hear Ms. Lauper explain that she is "allergic" to cigarette smoke, and how bad even detecting it is for her delicate voice! Enough already, bitch!
- [quote]And the holder of the highest sales drop before this was Gaga's Born This Way.
Whatever, bitch. BTW sold over a mill that first week, so whatever it did in the second week is pointless. Besides, what did FLOPDNA sell the first week out? I think it went wood, or maybe linoleum. Certainly not gold, and nowhere near platinum.
- [quote]Madonna didn't mind older icons before her, but she was always jealous of peers who were either prettier than, more talented or both.
- Lauper has been happily married to a cool guy for years. So she has that over Madge.
- [quote]I'm sorry but I don't remember Lauper dressing in in lingerie and underwear as outerwear
Bitch, please. Do your fucking homework before you come on here with some shit like what you said. Madonna CLEARLY stole her lingerie-as-outerwear look from Vanity. Vanity not only did it first, but did it much better, and looked a hell of a lot sexier doing it.
Vanity--the ORIGINAL Nasty Girl
- r97, interesting video you linked, love to watch the process of creating music and how musicians who know their shit stand out. Micheal Jackson is amazing, of course he is only singing lead, the other three are trying to do harmony, but interestingly, Huey Lewis is 90% on pitch and acknowledges when he's not. Cyndi is also mostly on pitch, and she's really going out there vocally, she's basically screaming, notice how far she has to stand from the mic. Kim Carnes has a lot of control over her voice, and Loggins chimes in with a little more advanced music theory about harmonics and the recording process and how sound filters through the mics. Interesting stuff.
We tend to take pop musicians for granted, but they are, after all, musicians and many of them are very well trained and very good. Another thing to keep in mind is that this was before the widespread use of pitch correct and auto tuning that is now the order of the day in pop music and allows a much wider range of questionable artists to leak through. There was a famous audio that went viral a few years back of Brittany Spears' raw vocals without auto tuning and they were excruciating to listen to. Like nails on a chalkboard. These musicians hold up pretty well in light of that.
- For R91
Vanity 6 Live
- Kim Carnes is not wincing at Cyndi in the recording session. She is merely "getting into the music" - she even mouths Cyndi's words. In that video, she made no indication she as bothered by her.
I do think it is funny that at the start of her career (and I am one of Cyndi's biggest fans), she played the ditzy Queens gal to the hilt, and had a very put-on accent. These days, she has toned it down and is not just playing a character.
Her second CD was a real struggle and she was also being micromanaged by Sony. Plus, she had surgery during the summer of Live Aid (1985) that delayed her follow-up to She's So Unusual. All the while, Madonna was cranking out the hits. Cyndi did wear lingerie on the outside - and Madonna blatantly ripped that off.
Cyndi hates "A Night to Remember," featuring her last top 10 hit, I Drove All Night. She was breaking up with manager Dave Woolf at the time and Sony/Portrait made her record songs by Diane Warren that weren't right for her, including a few that sound like Paula Abdul rejects.
I met her a record signing in 2003 or so, and she was not really that nice. Looked like she just wanted out. But it was a cold December night, and she was on the road alway from her young son and husband.
- She had really bad endometriosis and the treatments in the 80s were terrible for that. It's seriously amazing that she was able to have a kid. That's why there was so much time between records.
- R99 MDNA haa already been certified gold in the US. The album was certified either gold, platinum or multi-platinum in every major music market. In Russia the album is TEN times platinum. An unheard of feat for an artist in their 50's.
And in this climate when album sales are at an all time low. Like stated before nobody else in her age range sells as many albums as Madonna in 2012, she also had a top 10 gold certified modest hit this year, the first artist in their 50's to score a Hot 100 top 10 this MILLENIUM.
- Oh and Give Me all Your Love peaked at #2 on the ITunes sales chart, so even with that clear channel airplay promotion it was the SALES that drove it to #10 on the Hot 100, further extending Madonna's reign as the artist with the most top 10 songs(38) in Billboard history. Madonna also has a career total of 156 different #1 songs/albums/DVDS on the various Billboard charts, again more #1's than anybody in history.
- Ok, Madonna Maniac, you need to now sit down now and listen. There are many people who do not like Madonna and never will, despite your constant attempts to sell her. Please, give it a rest. She has bombarded the popular imagination relentlessly for over thirty years and I for one cannot wait for her to be out of the spotlight. I would rather look at 100 Lady Gagas than one more Madonna spectacle. I have Madonna fatigue and it seems like no matter where I go, somebody is trying to shove her down my throat. Enough!
- Glad you asked. In 1983 my the BF Micheal (RIP) saw here in Dallas. It was ana amzing show . Eaisly the most FUN I ever had at a concert. During the finale "She Bop" Mike and I were doing that wild and crazy throwing your arms about dance that she does in the video and I "she bopped" this kid next to me really hard. His nose was bleeding.
- Oh please, R108. When Madonna can release an album that has 7 top 5 #1 Hot 100 hits, or 3 #1s in 3 separate calendar years (Janet's RN 1814--the ONLY album in history with said achievements), then we will talk. Until then, YOU sit down. In fact, you can have several seats.
- Well, while not wanting to derail a perfectly good catfight about Madonna and Janet Jackson in the Cyndi Lauper thread by talking about Cyndi...
The Voice of the Night
- Can we get back to talking about Cyndi?
Here she is bringing down the house at a Joni Mitchell tribute concert. She got the only standing ovation of the night outside of Miss Mitchell.
Cyndi has one of the best voices out there. Plus she has an Emmy to her credit, and received rave reviews for being on Broadway.
- I could only get through about the first ten pages, so dreary and depressing. For someone with such a kooky image she appears to have no sense of humor.
- I know, R114. The beginning chapters about her abusive, pedophile stepfather are not funny at the least.
- R111 Maybe that's because Madonna has never released up to 7 singles from one album, she stops at 4 or 5 before milking it to death. I was looking at Janet's worldwide numbers and they are bad, I mean there's major markets like the Uk where she's never even had a number 1 single! I didn't realize that she was so local. Then I read Janet's worldwide career album sales are 100 million. Madonna's are 320 million making her the Guinness Book of Records winner as the biggest selling female artist of all time.
- One of Madonna's many chart records is that from 84-89 she had 16 consecutive top 5 singles beating The Beatles record.
- [quote]Madonna's are 320 million making her the Guinness Book of Records winner as the biggest selling female artist of all time.
An exaggeration, made up by her people. And Janet's biggest albums were never even re-certified, so there's no telling what her true numbers are. And LMAO at Janet being local. Bitch, please. Janet has fans worldwide--Japan, Africa, the UK, Australia, South America...
- Cyndi's High Notes, a compilation:
- I was just laughing at the thought of Miles Davis covering a Madonna song. I loved Vibes the last time I saw it, she's actually a great actress. She should do more of that. She rags on Jeff Goldblum and it sounds like she tried to be nice, I've always heard from people that he was "weird." She says the same but with specifics.
- R118 Madonna's numbers have been OFFICIALLY confirmed by Guinness, Billboard and the IFPI aka world charts or known as the International Federation of the Phonographic Industry. This can be verified with a google search or a visit to the Guinness website. And Janet DOES have undercertified albums in the US but so does Madonna. Madonna is also the 4th biggest selling artist of all time, only the BEATLES, Elvis, MJ have sold more worlwide. Madonna is also the highest grossing solo touring artist og all time with ticket sales of over 1.3 BILLION and that's not including inflation!
- I was saying that you are a loser, and so is Madonna. Now have SEVERAL seats.
BACK TO CYNDI...
- R120 in order for an artist to cover and release another artists song they must get permission. Since Madonna obviously doesn't need the money, shr rarely if ever grants anyone the permission to cover her songs. It took Susan Boyle months before Madonna gave her permission to cover You'll See.
- Who the hell is the Madonna lunatic, her publicist?
- Yes, Miles was DYING to do La Isla Bonita. That's why he died, she wouldn't let him. His last words were "Tropical the island breeze this is where I long to be" And who cares what Madonna's numbers are? With that logic The Hangover and Transformers are the greatest movies ever made.
Her True Colors shelter is amazing. 40% of runaways identify as somewhere on the LBGT spectrum. Do you think Madonna knows that? Or even gives a shit?
- can we stop talking about that no-talent bitch Madonna and dish about Cyndi again?
- A co-worker of mine used to work with Cyndi in NYC before she was a stah! That's all I know.
- she worked at screaming mimi's I think
- And Janet had a #1 NYT bestseller that no one has ever read!
- Vadgestanbot oh puh-lease! So many ladies can come for Vadge's wig, pull it off and tear it to shreds! We already know she copied the more beautiful and talented Debbie Harry, Chrissie Hynde, Pat Benatar, Cyndi, Vanity and others. Janet has that singles record that Vadge doesn't have. Mariah owns Vadge in number of #1 singles on the hot 100, and did in a much shorter time. Cher owns Vadge in the categories of A) longest span between first and last #1 hits (1974 and 1999 for Cher) and B) oldest female singer to get a #1 hit (Cher was 52 when "Believe" came out). No way Vadge can top those records!
- R130 what singles record does Janet have over Madonna? Madonna has more #1,top 10 hits erc. Than janet in the UKlS and EVERY other country fot that matter! Mariah may have more #1's than Madonna but Madonna has more top 10's, and Madonna has more #1 albums. But on the world charts Madonna has 21 #1 songs more than any artist in history. As for Cher Believe was a fluke written by someone else that was her only hit in thelast 22 years! It was also her 4th number oone single but the album didn't go to #1 in fact Cher has never had a #1 album, Madonna has 12 US #1 singles and 8US #1 albums.
- I'm sick and tired of every thread here at DL just becoming about Madonna. It is fucking tiresome.
And the part that gets me is that it is usually someone who doesn't like her that always brings her up and starts the bullshit. WTF?
Maybe if you didn't mention the cunt in every single thread then we wouldn't have 50 million hijacked responses all about her!
Her fucking haters discuss the bitch more than her pathetic fans.
- She's writing a book while Madonna is making records still....
- Janet hasn't had a hit in 15 years.
- "In Russia the album is TEN times platinum"
In Russia platinum equals ten copies sold.
Now, can the Madonna, Gaga, and Janet cunts get the fuck off a thread talking about Cyndi Lauper? Jesus Christ you cunts need to get a fucking life. Do you talk about your loved ones this much? Or are you just so unloved you put all your passion into promoting some bitch who doesn't even know you exist?
Irene Cara FOREVER!!!
- Nobody can prevent another person from "covering" their song once it's published (that is, performed or released for sale to the public).
Some of you are clueless.
- I think Cyndi's main problem, besides being 30 and over for most of the 80s, was she didn't have any business sense. She's a free, creative spirit who lacked direction and focus. An example was hanging out too much with the WWE. It was fine for a brief stint but she did it too much. She should have been cranking out albums and keeping her name in the press. She didn't need to lower herself to attention whoring like someone who shall remain nameless, but she could have done interviews between albums etc...
- R136 Madonna owns the back catalogue writes to all her songs, while it'd true anyone can cover her songs on concert on order to release a commercial recording of someone elses song you need their, also to sample other artist you need permission of copyright
- [quote]And Janet had a #1 NYT bestseller that no one has ever read!
- Cyndi was all over the talk shows (Carson and Letterman) from 1983-1985, as well as MTV. She didn't go into hiding between CDs. The problem in those days was that videos were major productions, she was on tour, writing and doing a video for Spielberg (Goonies R Good Enough), doing We Are the World, etc. As well as her lame appearances on WWE stuff. All of this kept her from working on her second CD, which had huge expectations.
As earlier posted, she was also very sick in the summer of 1985. Thus her follow-up, True Colors, did not get released until Fall of 1986. Though the CD was still a hit, it didn't have the edge or fun of She's So Unusual. And it only produced two top 10 hits.
- What it all boils down to is that Cyndi is a person and Madonna is an image. Artist vs. performer.
- Cyndi was already over 30 when her first album became a hit, so by the end of the 80s she was getting a bit long in the tooth to hold onto pop stardom.
- I liked Cyndi's Christmas album. She didn't ruin Christmas like that Annie Lennox bitch!
- Yeah it was definitely a combo of Cyndi's age, her lack of business mind and the fact that she didn't need to fame/attentionwhore that led to Vadge having a longer career at the top. It certainly had nothing to do with looks or talent, as Cyndi wins in both departments.
- Yes, it was you, R138, who I was referring to when I said some people here are clueless (@ R136) yet you persist in parading your ignorance.
I repeat, no-one can prevent another person covering a song.
You are not allowed to alter it (changing the lyrics or melody) without permission but apart from that your only obligation to the writer is to ensure they are paid any royalties that are due from sales of your version.
You may not put somebody's song into a film or incorporate it into a stage musical without their consent because that is, in a sense, attaching their work to that of another (or group) of artists which the original writer may not agree with (for whatever reason).
Sampling a song (and performance) is a completely different issue and of course cannot be done without consent (duh!). Read my previous sentences about altering a song or combining it with another artwork.
P.S, R138, being uneducated is a state that can be remedied but pretending to know about something of which you are completely ignorant is the very definition of a stupid person.
- I found her to be quite combative in the book. It seemed everything that she ever came across that was negative was because she was a woman. Not saying it wasn't true, but she seemed to be carrying a huge chip on her shoulder the whole time. A bit off-putting.
- What's wrong with the Madonna-drones? Mental illness? Is it possible to have ONE discussion on DL about a female singer without Madonna being brought into it to spoil things?
I loved Madonna, but the reason she made it was because she was willing to sell herself as a sex symbol. She was also willing to exploit anything...other cultures, conservatism, whatever...in order to make it. She was a brilliant businessperson in that regard, but her politics were often dubious.
Cyndi is a brilliant singer and I adored her. She was not sex symbol material, however, and that did her in.
- and the great irony is, Cyndi, while playing on her ditzy, kooky image, is much more of a thinker, artist, and political force than Madge, who can barely put a sentence together (even if she now speaks that faux English accent). Remember when she tried being relevant during the Election season and said something stupid about Obama? it was neither clever nor meaningful - more like WTF?
- [quote]and she just doesn't give a shit who she pisses off (to the detriment of her career)
I guess that's commendable, but she's far past any point where it would really matter to her career.
- Cyndi knows who she is and is clear on her talent, style and beliefs. The same cannot be said for the ever-shifty bitch Madonna.
- I actually teared up a little when I was reading the chapter about her LGBT activism.
And I got a huge shit-eating grin on my face when I was reading about her going to the White House and meeting President Obama when he signed the Matthew Shepard Act. The night before the ceremony, he'd spoken at an HRC dinner where Lady Gaga had performed. Cyndi tells him "So, I hear you opened for Lady Gaga," and he replied "She stole all your moves!"
I've always liked her, but I'm coming away from the book admiring the living hell of her too.
The Voice of the Night
- Who is Cyndi Lauper?
19 and fab
- Bitchtina HBagiluera is done too. Cyndi2.0
Its Britney bitch!, still scorring #1s
- oh no. I KNOW a Shitney fan did not just enter this thread. That bitch can't even speak on live tv and is a manufactured, no-talent robot.
Anyway this is about the talented, pretty and activist Cyndi. She's awesome and I wish her career had been longer. Love her. Her "Sex Is In The Heel" that she released this year is a hot dance track too. Listen to it, gaiz, if you haven't yet.
- Now on to Cyndi TV career
She doesn't say it in so many words, but implies that Helen Hunt was a bitch on Mad About You
She writes that by the time she arrived on the scene, Helen had basically taken over the show and that there was friction on the set.
- Pop isn't generally my thing, but I might buy this as Cyndi comes across as an honest, decent and individual voice.
- [quote]oh no. I KNOW a Shitney fan did not just enter this thread. That bitch can't even speak on live tv and is a manufactured, no-talent robot.
Cyndi actually complimented Britney in the book. She made some comment about the music press wanting Christina/Britney to be Madonna/Cyndi 2.0 with people saying that Britney can't sing, but Cyndi said that Britney can sing, she just can't sing in the studio-manufactured way her producers want her to.
I like that she doesn't act like "feminist" is a dirty word.
The Voice of the Night
- R157 or in a way that is pleasant to the human ear...
- [quote]Madonna owns the back catalogue writes to all her songs...
- Cyndi is a true musician and artist. I wish she had been given a big break when she was younger instead of when she was around 30.
- I was coming here to post that R155! Interesting tidbit. In general, Cyndi's more generous to women than to men in her book so Helen Hunt must have got right under her skin.
- I like Cyndi, but the FACTS are that Madonna released her first single in October 1982 and second single and video in the spring of '83 followed by the album in July 1983. Cyndi released her first single in September '83, followed by the album in October '83. So how do I ask the DL Madonna-haters did Madonna steal Cyndi's look when she debuted BEFORE her, hell there are pictures of Madonna with all kinds of colored dyed hair, that Cyndi would later sport, that were shot in 1982!
- I used to like Cyndi, but she's now overexposed and annoying and pretentious, hated her jazz album and the Memphis Blues concert sucked. She shouldn't have done that stupid Trump reality show. The WATW clip shows that she is indeed pitchy when trying to scream out that note and Kim Carnes noticeably winces. Then everyone jumps on Miss Kim, giving her "line reading" about how she should sing the line but I actually like the way she sang it in that clip better than the record.
- I had no idea that Cyndi was married to the actor from Law & Order SVU! He plays the sleaze-bag lawyer. He is so sleazy.
Guess that is great acting.
- If you haven't seen Margaret Cho talking about Cyndi you have to fast forward to 3:25.
- Kim was a proven hitmaker songwriter and they shouldn't have jumped on her, she sounded fine, the music biz is so cruel, Cyndi made it all about her and Kim's part was cut to "when we". Cyndi also held up recording with her stupid bracelets jangling thereby making certain takes unusable. Thanks for posting that link, it's really telling about the 'biz.
- I liked the "True Colors" & "A Night to Remember" albums, also liked "Hole in My Heart" the video is classic. Loved the art direction on all and Chip Simons cover photo. Saw Cyndi at MSG for WNEW's Xmas show and Eddie Money and Ronnie Spector opened. She was great that night. I had the Blue Angel album.
- I like Cyndi, but her behaviour on the Celebrity Apprentice was awful. And she's the reason I watched that season.
- Cyndi's husband is smokin' hot in "Home Alone 3" and he's great in "High Art" with Ally Sheedy.
- Madonna recently attacked a cigarette smoker in Chile during soundcheck. Did she read this clip and see that Cyndi pulled the same diva shit at Roseland?
- I meant to say this thread
- Why did this thread die? Won't anyone admit that she's overexposed and needs to go away for awhile??
- I haven't read her book, but I've seen her in concert twice... the True Colors Tour. She's amazing. Yes, she's a perfectionist but she's a great artist. In addition to that, she raised millions of dollars for LGBT causes.
Madonna? Pfft. I wouldn't cross the street for a free concert.
- [quote]I found her to be quite combative in the book. It seemed everything that she ever came across that was negative was because she was a woman. Not saying it wasn't true, but she seemed to be carrying a huge chip on her shoulder the whole time. A bit off-putting.
I just finished the book last night. I like Cyndi, but I didn't like the book.
She didn't seem to have an editor to whip it into shape. We learn about EVERY piddly job she had in her late teens and early twenties, but by the time she achieves some success (more than halfway through the book), things sort of speed up. What are surely interesting stories get tossed off; she goes on tangents. After her first two albums are released, the editing seems to go out the window altogether and it reads very much like a verbatim transcript from a tape recording.
And the chip thing is true. She admits she says something really rude to Steven Spielberg, and the next thing that happens is that he pulls out of directing the "Goonies" music video, which she's still bitter about. (Oh, and "Goonies Are Good Enough" wasn't a big sellout on her part -- that song somehow got changed by the studio.)
Cyndi holds a grudge that she was never invited to Lilith Fair; she claims that Michael Jackson "took" the bass line from "She Bop" and used it in "Bad" ("Anyway, it doesn't matter"), She says Jeff Goldblum was an asshole on the set of "Vibes" (which sounds true), and holds a real grudge that Bruce Springsteen didn't buddy up to her at some event... but she also seems to think that the association with Springsteen somehow held back the talent of his first wife, Julianne. (Funny that it didn't with Patti Scialfa.)
Anyway, I still love much of her music, and appreciate her standing by the gay community (which of course benefits both sides), and her brief shade-throwing against Helen Hunt was hilarious, but the book is a bit of a mess, just like this post.
- [quote]I used to like Cyndi, but she's now overexposed and annoying and pretentious, hated her jazz album and the Memphis Blues concert sucked. She shouldn't have done that stupid Trump reality show.
Exactly. She really sold-out when she did that shitty Celebrity Apprentice show. She should have been embarassed to have even gone on.
And yes, these pretentious albums are getting tired. She needs to accept that it was pop records that made her popular and if she wants her records to sell, she better give fans what they want.
In the book, she sounds very bitter and angry and seems to like blaming others when things don't go her way.
- They both suck.
- She's a bitch-nobody wants to work with her.
- "A Night to Remember" is a great song and album. Got it out and played it the other night. She needs to do a concert of her best 80s stuff and get over the new stuff, just like Rosanne Cash needs to do the same! Give us the 80s hits!
- Let's see--here's a photo of Bananarama from around 1981, a full year before MaCunta's album was released. Who ripped off whose style from whom?
Madonna is a thieving cunt.
- quit hijacking the thread with those no-talent non-relevant idiots, this is about Cyndi! "Kinky boots" is getting terrible advance reviews. Do we really need another drag Broadway show?
- The English were always ahead of the fashion game in the Eighties, r179.
- On the Media: Brooke talks to Cyndi Lauper
For more than 30 years Cyndi Lauper has been a creative force, as a singer, songwriter, author and now composer of the music and lyrics for a hit Broadway play. Last month Brooke talked to Cyndi Lauper before a live audience in NYC about her life, her art and where she draws her inspiration.
Watch Brooke's entire hour-long conversation with Cyndi Lauper below.
- She's going on a weird tour this year (weird as in performing in strange towns and skipping popular cities). No Chicago (or any of the Midwest for that matter), no Miami, no San Francisco...yet she's visiting Biloxi, Tacoma, and Portsmouth???
- Everyone and I mean *everyone* says she's a class 5 bitch on wheels.
- R184 I've heard that too.
- Did she date Steve Forbert in the early eighties?
- I notice the Madoodoo fangirls will never claim their idol has the better voice. lol
- R183 that's because she's a second rate artist and can't fill up big city arenas.
It's not like she's Madonna selling out Yankee Stadium twice last year.