All Threads by Date
The Figure Skating Troll was right - Scott Hamilton IS a Republican
6:25 AM, Nov 5, 2012
CHILLICOTHE — In addition to being famous athletes and Ohio natives, Jack Nicklaus and Scott Hamilton are supporters of Mitt Romney, and that’s what brought them to Chillicothe on Sunday.
Nicklaus, a golf legend best known for his record 18 major championships, and Hamilton, a figure skating champion who won gold at the 1984 Winter Olympics, stumped for the Republican presidential candidate before a crowd of about 100 supporters outside the Ross County Service Center on Western Avenue.
Nicklaus and Hamilton were joined by Nicklaus’ wife, Barbara, and Jane Portman, wife of U.S. Sen. Rob Portman, R-Ohio.
Shortly after stepping off a Romney-Ryan campaign bus, Nicklaus explained how his interest in the election and his support of Romney stems from his concerns about how the country’s economic direction will affect his children and grandchildren.
“I think that should be your concern, too,” Nicklaus said.
Nicklaus, who hails from Upper Arlington, said he first had the opportunity to support a presidential candidate in 1976 when then-President Gerald Ford, a “dear friend” and golfing partner, asked him to campaign on his behalf in Ohio. Nicklaus declined the offer and Ford ultimately lost Ohio by a narrow margin.
“I said, ‘I’m never going to let that happen again.’ So when Mitt called me and asked me to get involved, I said ‘When you get yourself nominated, you can count me all in,’” he said.
Nicklaus said his company, golf course design firm Nicklaus Design, has lost more than 50 percent of its employees during the past four years — a clear condemnation of the economy under President Barack Obama.
“It’s why we got involved. It’s why we want to help get Mitt elected. ... Let’s get this thing on the road and in a few days, let’s get ourselves a new president,” he said to cheers.
Hamilton, who grew up in Bowling Green, joked about how he has caught some grief from his friends for supporting Romney and then, on a more serious note, lamented how politically divided the nation has become.
“I’ve never seen it like this before, where there’s so much anger and so much hostility towards each other,” he said.
Hamilton said he first met Romney before the 2002 Winter Olympics in Salt Lake City, which Romney helped organize, and was impressed by his leadership in the wake of a bribery scandal and financial problems that had plagued the games.
“Back then, I thought, ‘Man! Why can’t someone like that run for President of the United States?” Hamilton said. “And then he went to Massachusetts (as governor) and got his political chops up and he just gets it. He’s met payrolls, he understands how to create new opportunities and jobs. That’s what he did as an entrepreneur.”
Hamilton said Tuesday’s election is an opportunity to “right the ship.”
“It’s a real solid opportunity and it’s just a hundred feet away,” he said, pointing to the Ross County Board of Elections office, where dozens of people were inside waiting in line to cast early ballots.
- Figure Skating in the USA is Republicans and closeted Gay men.
See why Johnny Weir is such an outcast?
- a hundred supporters?
- I love how Republicans talk:
[quote]Nicklaus said his company, golf course design firm Nicklaus Design, [bold]has lost more than 50 percent of its employees[/bold] during the past four years — a clear condemnation of the economy under President Barack Obama.
He makes it sound like those poor lost employees wandered off while they were on a job, instead of Nicklaus cutting jobs so they make more money.
- Stars on Ice is down to 6 shows this year. So the Republican control of figure skating, thriving since the days Pat Robertson owned the skating shows, is about to end. It may well take down competitive skating too.
You are going to have to fly to Asia to see skating in the future.
- Scott Hamilton is a regular speaker on Pat Robertsons 700 Club.
- I hope cancer gets Scott, again.
- [quote]Nicklaus said his company, golf course design firm Nicklaus Design, has lost more than 50 percent of its employees during the past four years — a clear condemnation of the economy under President Barack Obama.
If their companies falter or fail, it's the government's fault.
If their companies succeed: They Built That.
- Figure Skating is a Republican sport. Scott Hamilton is just trying to fit in.
Michelle Kwan was known as Michelle RepubliKwan.
Kristi Yamaguiccis family is one of the largest Republican donors in skating.
Sarah Hughes is almost Mitt Romneys best buddy.
- Scott Hamilton should move up to Canada. He is no longer welcome at US Figure Skating events, even though the board of directors keeps promoting him, but that is another story.
- [quote] Michelle Kwan was known as Michelle RepubliKwan.
Link that she is a Republican
- My husband and I have watched Figure Skating for YEARS - and every single time we watch, it is not long before one of us blurts out, "You cannot tell me that he isn't gay!" Referring, of course, to the gayest of gays Miss Scottie Hamilton, who squeals like a woman every time a hot, young, "straight" little piece of ass "presents" on ice.
What is with these Republican closet cases?
- [quote]Shortly after stepping off a Romney-Ryan campaign bus, Nicklaus explained how his interest in the election and his support of Romney stems from his concerns about how the country's economic direction will affect his children and grandchildren.
So... he hates his grandchildren and wants them to be in more debt, with less opportunity, fewer rights, and in more polluted surroundings, and under the constant specter of war and disease?
Seriously, could he have chosen more wrongly here?
Republican voters/supporters are such ignorant tools... always asserting/believing the exact OPPOSITE of what is true.
- [quote]Nicklaus said his company, golf course design firm Nicklaus Design, has lost more than 50 percent of its employees during the past four years — a clear condemnation of the economy under President Barack Obama.
Someone needs to instruct these morons that correlation is not causation. The economy was bad because Bush/Republican policies caused it to COLAPSE in 2008, before Obama ever became President. And it's only Republican obstructionism that has prevented it from recovering faster.
- The entire figure skating community knows Kwan is a Republican so get your head out of your ass, Rex.
- That is why they call her Michelle RepubliKwan. Having said that, Kristi Yamaguici is far, far worse.
- Poor multi-millionaire Jack Nicklaus. I would have thought the golf course business would be one of the few that is booming.
- Economic recessions only kill off the weak businesses. The strong thrive and the down times are when most of the successfully new start ups happen.
If somebody is blaming the economy for poor attendance, then you know they are not one of the well run organizations.
- Michelle Kwan dated a staunch anti-gay activist for 3 years. Unless Kristi Yamaguchi wore white robes and burned crosses on people's lawns, I can't believe she is worse than Michelle Kwan.
- I agree with R18. If Kwan wasn't anti-gay herself, she would never have dated a guy like that.
- You guys have no link proving that Kwan is a Republican. Just gossip.
- Kwan is married to the grandson of a Democratic senator and got married in a Unitarian church - both of which don't point to Republican. Maybe she's had a change of heart.
- So the Kwan haters have absolutely NO proof that she was ever a Republican, other than second hand gossip.
- Don't be a moron, R21. People marry outside their political party.
R22 AKA Rex, no decent person would date a vile worthless shit like Christian Anschultz for three years while he was campaigning to take away gay rights. Even if Kwan is a Democrat (she isn't), she is still a pig for dating him. Stop defending that over-the-hill loser.
- [quote] Christian Anschultz for three years while he was campaigning to take away gay rights
- It is telling that nobody ever comes to the defense of Scott Hamilton on this reputation, so Kwan becomes the discussion. It is like Scott Hamilton is just accepted as the "Jerry Fawell" of the figure skating world.
I think this is because of figure skatings current demographics. Almost 100% of the fanbase today, is made up of older females and they are the ones with the most emotion invested in Michelle Kwan. So this radical Kwan-culture emerges and it is very defensive. It even infiltrates the few old gay males still watching figure skating.
- It's just FSU's Rex defending her.
- R26 we are still waiting for the link about
[quote] Christian Anschultz for three years while he was campaigning to take away gay rights
- [quote]He is no longer welcome at US Figure Skating events, even though the board of directors keeps promoting him, but that is another story.
Why is he not welcome? Dish!
[quote]he hates his grandchildren and wants them to be in more debt, with less opportunity, fewer rights, and in more polluted surroundings, and under the constant specter of war and disease?
No, no, no. Other people's grandchildren. His are set.
- The best chance figure skating has of future survival is via the entertainment industry - AKA Johnny Weir, as Weir is the only figure skater who has taken the time to build bridges in that world. Without successful show skating, competitive skating dies off too. We are witnessing this today.
One day all the Republican Fraus of figure skating will be gone (Michelle Kwan, Kristi Yamaguici, Sandra Bezic, Debbie Wilkes, Rachel Flatt, Sarah Hughes etc.) and along with them, their supporting and self-hating closet cases (Brian Boitano, Paul Wylie, Evan Lysacek, Jeff Buttle etc.) throw in a few Psycho Moms (Chan and Abbott(Scott)) and things may actually turn around. Else, Figure Skating will become an Asian only sport with no show skating in the West to promote it again.
- Hamilton has been annoying since he was a competitive skater. He only won his gold because they still had figures back then. And back then he was all "I don't wear spangles on my clothing because I'm a real man." All spoken of course in that high-pitched squeaky voice.
- All these old skaters, scored today, wouldn't even place in the top 10 at Nationals, never mind Worlds.
They should stop promoting them as their athletic achievements are no longer significant or relevant. It is like celebrating the race car driver who broke the 100 MPH speed barrier in 1912. Give it up already. Time to move on.
- Anschutz Jr works for his dad Phillip, a conservative Christian who isn't just against gay rights, he is also against single parenting, teaching evolution in schools and also funded Colorado's Amendment 2 that strove to deny civil rights protections for gays and lesbians.
- I suspect Kwan doesn't care about politics. She probably just saw AEG $.
- The Moir family should definitely be included in the group of Psycho Moms, maybe even above Mother Chan, the current title holder.
Allison Scott, Jeremys Mom, freaks out about the gay thing out of a psychotic level of over-protection, not out of personnel prejudice, although the 2 can appear the same. She is just from a bygone era.
- R32 we are still waiting for the link.
- Here's Christian's political contributions all Repugnants.
- R36 you said
[quote] he was campaigning to take away gay rights.
Where is the link?
- R36 Mary Tyler Moore supported Sarah Palin/John McCain
Kristin Chenoweth sang at not one, but TWO Bush Inaugurals.
Plus she co-hosted the Country Music Awards with anti-gay marriage advocate Trace Adkins.
So would those two ladies also be as you put it
[quote] campaigning to take away gay rights.
- Article on The Anschutz Foundation's political causes, including their anti-gay rights causes. Christian is the treasurer of the company and future heir of the dynasty.
- R23 feels that Mary Tyler Moore and Kristin Chenoweth are
[quote] vile worthless shit
Because they support Republicans. His words.
Those two ladies are even WORSE than Kwan because they support Republicans against marriage equality so openly!
- Mitt Romney is extremely homophobic and dedicated to striping LGBT Americans of all legal protections. No argument.
Kwan, Yamaguici, Hamilton and Hughes are all on record as Mitt Romney promoters. I'm sure there are also many Mitt Romney voters in figure skating too.
- Christian is not part of The Anschutz Foundation.
Let's not forget Kristin Chenoweth is a BIG BIG Supporter of anti-same sex marriage advocate Trace Adkins.
She said he is 'Wonderful'
- R17 has never run a business, only a scam.
- I think Kwan has moved away from GOP horror over the years - Obama gave her some kind of job, although that doesn't mean she's a liberal (see Chuck Hagel, Alan Simpson).
- R36 are you going to write to James Carvell to divorce Mary Matalin because she worked for Bush?
How could a Democrat like Carvell be involved with Mary Matalin who is such a booster of Bush, who is against marriage equality?
- [quote] Kwan on record as Mitt Romney promoters.
- Is Hamilton out of the closet?
- [quote] Christian Anschultz was campaigning to take away gay rights.
[quote] Christian Anschultz works for his dad Phillip, a conservative Christian
[quote] Christian is the treasurer of the company and future heir of the dynasty.
[quote] Kwan on record as Mitt Romney promoters.
So far you haven't supplied any links to these statements. So unless you can, it is just gossip.
- I did not say he was campaigning to take away gay's right but so long as you're going there, yes the Anschutz companies, for which Kwan's Ex is a MAJOR part of, are Republican sourced and give major money to anti-gay groups. Now take your hand off your vagina and find a new idol to defend. I suggest finding an idol who doesn't fuck men trying to strip away our rights or who doesn't fold under the enormous pressure of the Olympics.
- [quote] the Anschutz companies, for which Kwan's Ex is a MAJOR part of
- Get a life, Rex. Kwan is a pig.
- Don't make the Kwan fan cry, folks. He's cried enough at the last few Olympics when the cunt choked.
- [quote] I suggest finding an idol who doesn't fuck men trying to strip away our rights
So I guess you must hate Kristin Chenoweth and Mary Tyler Moore, since they are doing the same thing.
- R51 you can't find links to back up the statements at R48
So who should really get a life?
- Golf should be booming because the rich are doing very well. But Golf is not booming because the rich are fickle and tired of it.
- The middle class can no longer afford golf.
- Paul Wylie is another dancing fairy Republican.
- I dont really care one way or another if Kwan is a Republican or not but I do think it's funny that so many are insistent that she is. One would think if she were so well-known as a Republican it would be easy to find multiple sources and yet no one ever does.
- Same goes for the really intense hate on Kristi. Everyone hates her but can't really say what she's done to make her so vile aside from supposedly being a Republican (Ive not seen nor have I looked for proof on this) and her making positive statements about Romney. Now the Romney thing I can understand, however, her comments seemed to be more pro what Romney supposedly did for the SLC Olympics, rather than him as a politician.
- Figure Skating is traditionally a Republican sport, however Johnny Weir is moving things forward. The Republican side is slowly dying off. The new generation of skaters are lining up behind Weir not Hamilton, including the heterosexual ones.
- Kwan is wishy washy. She won't go on record as saying she's a Republican until she runs for office. By the way, it was on FOX News when she announced she may run for office someday.
- Exactly R58
There are so many statements made about Kwan at R48
But when asked to provide links to back it up, no one can!
- In the U.S., the sport is dying a slow and painful death. Stars on Ice is on it's last legs and other then Meryl and Charlie the medal prospects for Sochi are thin.
Gracie Gold is being propped up as the next big thing in ladies. She could contend for a bronze but the next year it's Yu Na and then about 6-7 other girls competing for silver and bronze.
- Here's a link for Rex.
- R83 the Asian women are KICKING the US women's butt!
Since 1992 there has been at least one Asian women on the Olympic and World podium.
Asian women ROCK!
I think you can go one further and say that since 1989 there has been an Asian woman on the podium at the World Championships and Olympic Games.
Also, the majority of the Gold Medalists have been Asian.
- R66 you are right.
- "Stars on Ice" is Scott Hamiltons show, and yes Scotts world is dying off.
Asian skaters dominating the podiums means low audience numbers in North America, Russia and Europe.
- R68 no surprise Figure Skating is HUGE in Japan. Those skaters are treated like rock stars, with millions of dollars in endorsements.
- Figure Skating has become an Asian Sport now.
- Figure skaters who endorsed Romney according to Wikipedia:
- Dorthy Hamills support for Mitt Romney was just a racist thing. Had Obama been a white guy, she would have voted Democrat. Read up on her particular history of associations.
Their bodies are more suited to what's demanded from the sport.
- [quote]Their bodies are more suited to what's demanded from the sport.
Yamaguchi and Ito were tiny. Ito is around 4'10 and Yamaguchi is 5'0. However Arakawa, Kim, and Asada are considered tall for the sport at around 5'5-5'6. Carolina Kostner, the other medal favorite for next year is 5'7.
- Asians overwhelmingly are Republican, so Asian skaters being Republican makes sense.
It's not just about their height. It has to do with their muscle mass and bone density.
- [quote]Asians overwhelmingly are Republican
Which is why 70% of the Asian vote went to Obama.
- Exactly R77. People on here really get a kick on the whole Asians/Kristi/Michelle are Republicans and don't get a reliable source to back it up. Oh, wait, apparently DL is a reliable source.
- Bite me, R78. I don't need a source. I've known the Kwans since Karen was a pre-juv. Estelle, Ron, Karen and Michelle are nice enough(Did I leave anybody out? Yes I did.) but they are Republicans. When you're at rinks with the same people for over 14 years, you learn certain things. Most people in the California skating scene know that the Kwans are Republicans who supported Huckabee in the fall of 2007. If you would have seen Kwan writing a check to Romney with your own eyes, you still asked for a link. She's a Republican. Deal with it. The way you had to deal with her never winning the Olympic gold medal. You Kwan fans are crazy ass blind.
You're an angry little thing aren't you? And also not terribly bright.
I don't care if she won a Gold medal or not. I'm not even a Kwan fan.
The fact is, most of the people here spouting off left and right that this person is this, or this person is that, don't have any reason to say so, except from something they read on DL.
Did I say that Kristi and Michelle aren't Republicans? No. I said people say it, but the majority that do got that information from here.
And that's great that you "personallY" know them... but just like everyone on the internet, especially everyone on DL, "personally knows somoene," I'll take it with a grain of salt.
- Can we all just agree that Scott Hamilton is a evil little anti-gay Jesus freak hobbit ....the original purpose of this thread.
- I'm not terribly bright, but you're the one capitalizing gold medal. Her two Olympic failures really must have done a number on you.
I'm glad you admitted it. Now admit that you're angry, have reading comprehension problems, and don't know how to use Trolldar.
- R79 you mentioned that you grew up in the same rink as Michelle which leads us to believe you too were a skater? Kwan's a major failure, as you have pointed out because she didn't win the Olympics. You're right. But if you were a skater who didn't even make it to the Olympics (or probably even Nationals or Sectionals)what does that make you?
- First sign of someone who doesn't have a leg to stand on - pointing out grammar errors.
That wasn't even a major one. Try harder.
- [quote] Try harder.
Like Kwan should have!
- Re R84
[quote]what does that make you?
Angry, troll-ish, Skater, from CA. I know! Must be Sasha Cohen!
- Scott Hamilton is a douche.
- R87 Sasha! Now talk about Olympic failures!
- Do we get to hate on Sasha too for being a Repub or is it just the Asians and closeted gays we hate on?
- R79 unless you can get links to back up your claim, like at R48 all you are doing is spreading gossip with no proof to back it up.
And no I'm not a Kwan fan. In fact I was glad she lost the Olympic Gold medal twice.
- You know the Kwan lunatics have sidled their obese asses over here when they forbid you from gossiping on Datalounge.
- I actually read a current thread on the FSU with the word "gay" in it that had not been deleted. First time ever. I guess these figure skating fanwomen have just joined the 1990s. The discussions are still 25 years behind the rest of the world for those under 50, but they are allowing a "gay" discussion to occur.
Maybe in another 20 years, they will allow discussions on lesbian coaches. Maybe in another 50 years, Skate Canada will even allow a gay skater to compete openly.....no that's pushing it.
(understand Kwanette now?)
- Not really r76 what really helped propelled Asian skaters to the top was the complete elimination of school figures, the fall of communism, and a general decline in interest in the sport in America.
- I have met Kwanette. She is a sad older woman obsessed with Michelle Kwan. She bashes Tara Lipinski and Sarah Hughes all the time but that hasn't stopped her from following them on Twitter and trying to engage them I'm conversations.
- R94 No, sorry, gonna have to disagree there. School figures were eliminated in the late 80s and it helped skaters of all ethnic backgrounds because it changed the direction of the sport.
Asian skaters started dominating when Midori won her World Championship. Since then, an Asian skater has been on top of the podium at every World and Olympic competition (which has already mentioned here). A large part of this has to do with their body type that allows them to do the difficult triples that the sport pushes for.
To argue that their success is only because of a decline in interest in America is ridiculous. America was certainly very interested in the sport in the 90s, when Asians were already dominating it. Midori, Kristi, Michelle, Yuka, Chen... all Asian, all very much at the top of the sport at the height of America's obsession with skating.
- [quote]Since then, an Asian skater has been on top of the podium at every World and Olympic competition.
Jill Trenary, Oksana Baiul, Tara Lipinski, Maria Butyrskaya, Sarah Hughes, Irina Slutskaya, Kimmie fucking Meisner, and Carolina Kostner are not Asian.
You're an idiot.
- R97 what I meant to say is that an Asian skater has been on the podium (not the top) at every Worlds since 1989 and every Olympics since 1992 in the women's event.
I do think 2005 there wasn't an Asian skater on the podium.
Sorry for the mistake.
Actually YOU'RE the idiot.
The statement was that an Asian skater has been on top of the podium at every World and Olympic Competition. The statement was not that an Asian skater was the Gold medalist at every single one of those competitions.
- The decline of interest in figure skating is because:
1. Competitive skating judging is still a mockery of distrust and
2.Show skating didn't keep up with the times.
The competitions reek of favoritism (Chan) and shows reek of Seniors Buffet on Ice.
All of this was 100% avoidable and that is an Executive and poor management issue.
- R100 why are the Japanese ladies KICKING the US women's butt in competition?
- Asia is going through the 1990s now. Soon they will catch up to the USA and Europe and be bored of figure skating too. Asia has always followed a generation behind the west in trends, from Music to Fashion.
Is Chan really a reason why there's a decline in the interest of skating? I mean, was there ever really a high interest in male skating?
I think the decline has to do with the new point system that no one really understands. I get that it may have been more complicated before, but audiences like a small number they can sort of make sense of.
I think it's the same with Gymnastics. No one's interested any more because they took the 10.0 away and it seems too hard to follow.
- Maybe because the US are not Dominating the sport like they used to, is the reason for the declining ratings.
- Most people understand the new points system just fine (some aging perpetual complainers at the FSU are the rare exceptions).
Constantly promoting that nobody understands COP is an excuse for the real problem. You can't fall 3 times and win gold medals, awarded by judges who are anonymous and remain a credible sport.
1. Falling is failure, always has been, always will be, in every single aspect of human life, not just sport.
2. Anonymous mean corrupt, else why would anybody insist on being anonymous, always has been that way, always will be that way, from Corporate boards to Politicians. People only hide when they are up to no good.
Trust in judging went from 2002 bad to 2013 worse. PJ Kwong rages on about this "failure to understand COP thing" because she is the head Frau and one of skating's biggest problems.
Asia will kill off the sport because there is no serious money in Asia. Without the USA and Europe and without a sizable show skating tour, figure skating is bankruptcy waiting to happen.
- School figures were eliminated after 1990 not the 80's. Midori won in 89 because figures were downgraded so much but lost worlds the next year because of them.
A large part doesn't have to do with body type since Midori and tonya were both tiny and bow legged. Nancy, Lu, yu na, Nicole, Mao, carolina and Shizuka were all tall. Kristi and Tara were tiny like female pairs skaters.
Growth spurts and weight gains are what affect jumps the most. Just ask Harding, baiul, bobek, Hughes, lipinski, meissner, and slutskaya.
Tonya and Midori are the few that didn't under rotate or cheat their landings.
Kristi and Midori were terrible at figures and benefitted from their elimination. China has largely dropped off the radar after Lu Chen, South Korea doesn't have a replacement for yu na. Japan has several girls coming up but had a decade long dry spell after Midori and Yuka retired.
The Asian American girls that were supposed to be the next great hope for ladies skating have under performed.
- Asians also typically have lower bone density and muscle mass.
- White American and European audiences will not flock towards all Asian skating competitions. Like in Hollywood and in Corporate advertising, the products have to reflect the racial demographics of the consumer. Like it or not.
- Put Hamilton and Boitano in a museum already. That is what they are for.
- No, it's because the new scoring system means that every skater does the same moves R103. There is no creativity anymore, and they banned things like flips so all they can do is spin one more time, which is not exactly exciting.
- What do People mean when they say American show skating hasn't kept up with the times?
- Lawrence Welk VS Skrillex R111
Guess which one American show skating resembles?
- 2013 Stars on Ice closing sequence....
- Are there any examples of the real "Stars on Ice" not keeping up with the times?
But a few years back, some skating show refused to take Johnny Weir because they were a "family show". Don't know if it was S.O.I. or not.
- Stars on Ice refused to hire Johnny Weir because they did not considered Weir suitable for their family audience. GLAAD made a real stink about it, but Stars on Ice didn't budge. Remember, this is Scott "700 Club" Hamilton's skating show. Stars on Ice USA dropped from about 25 shows to 6 in the last 4 years. I doubt it will even continue in 2014.
Stars on Ice is doing better in Canada only - 12 shows (at 1/10th the population of the USA), but Figure Skating Culture in Canada is far more homophobic, conservative and retro than in the USA, believe it or not. Think Lawrence Welk Canuck version.
2 more Stars on Ice shows in Japan for 2013 and that is it.
- How can figureskating be homophobic?
Wouldn't that be like basketball being racist or baseball being prejudiced against latinos?
- Corruption is a big part of it. Patrick Chan winning every year without deserving it is something audiences see.
- Chan is the Canadian skater right? I used to follow skating years ago and it was always the Russians who got away with everything. Are you suggesting that Chan is given an unfair advantage because he claims to be straight? That didn't do Stojko any good back in the day.
- You guys are starting to sound a little like Nazi's with this Republican-hating thing.
- r119 Godwin's Law = you lose
- Yeah, yeah .. I know all about that. But it's gone past anything we've ever had before in this country. I think of Goebbels going viral.
- [quote] Remember, this is Scott "700 Club" Hamilton's skating show.
It is actually IGM that owns Stars on Ice
- There is no such media company as IGM, I imagine you are thinking if IMG (International Management Group). Yes they bought the show from Scott Hamilton, but Scott still plays an active role.
Scott Hamilton bought up what was left of the Ice Capades, which was previously owned by Pat Robertson. Scott hired Sandra Bezic, from Billy Graham Presents, to help build Stars on Ice. There is a nasty Evangelical Christian history in Show Skating. Refusing to hire Johnny Weir, was just further proof.
IMG is the biggest athlete rep company, not just in figure skating, but in all sports. US Figure Skating has recently also pumped money into the Stars on Ice franchise. Why USFSA, an amateur athletic organization, with a total budget of (2011) $24.9 million and shrinking, is giving money to a global sports and entertainment company currently worth over $2 Billion, is another question.
- [quote] Scott Hamilton bought up what was left of the Ice Capades, which was previously owned by Pat Robertson.
[quote] but Scott still plays an active role.
Can you come up with a consistent narrative? First you are saying he owns it outright. Then you are saying he doesn't own it (IMG does) but he plays an active role.
Again can you come up with one narrative and stick with it?
- ...and I go and click on Wikipedia Stars on Ice link because R124 is not capable of that.
You really should go back to the FSU R124 there are WAY TO MANY homosexuals on DL for you to get away with negative framing and selective quotation tactics here. PR skills abound in the Gay community. It is how we survive day-to-day hatred in this country, against people like yourself.
- R125 is not capable of reading, because nowhere in that
[quote] Scott Hamilton bought up what was left of the Ice Capades, which was previously owned by Pat Robertson
So link please for the above statement you made.
Plus a consistent narrative please. First you are saying Scott Hamilton owns SOI outright. Now you are saying he doesn't own it (IMG does) but he plays an active role as producer.
Again come up with one narrative and stick with it. For the sake of accuracy.
- How difficult is it to quit being so damn disingenuous and figure this out, R126:
[quote][bold]Scott Hamilton bought up what was left of the Ice Capades, which was previously owned by Pat Robertson.[/bold] Scott hired Sandra Bezic, from Billy Graham Presents, to help build Stars on Ice.
[quote]There is no such media company as IGM, I imagine you are thinking if IMG (International Management Group). [bold]Yes they bought the show from Scott Hamilton, but Scott still plays an active role.[/bold]
- [quote] Scott Hamilton bought up what was left of the Ice Capades, which was previously owned by Pat Robertson. Scott hired Sandra Bezic, from Billy Graham Presents, to help build Stars on Ice.
- [quote] Yes they bought the show from Scott Hamilton
Link please because from what I read in Scott Hamilton's biography, he never OWNED the show. That IGM had always owned the show from day one.
- Scott Hamilton never bought the Ice Capades from Pat Robertson. Dorothy Hamill bought it in bankruptcy in the early 90's, had it for a very short period of time, and sold it to Pat Robertson's family entertainment company but they shut it down a short time later. There hasn't been an Ice Capades in almost 20 years.
Stars on Ice main competition was the Tom Collins owned Champions on Ice which shut down six or seven years ago.
- R127 if you are going to throw rhetoric around, have the links to back it up.
[quote] Scott Hamilton bought up what was left of the Ice Capades, which was previously owned by Pat Robertson
[quote] International Management Group. Yes they bought the show from Scott Hamilton
- David is getting all EMO today.....
- They should change the name from "Stars on Ice" to the name "Republicans on Ice". Think of the boost in ticket sales from the Tea Party!
To make the audiences feel more at home, you could put up pictures of Mitt Romney and Michelle Bachmann and line icerink with gun racks. You're almost there already, so why not go the extra few feet and benefits from the boost in ticket sales?
- No one can provide links to R131 which means those above statements are untrue
- Obviously there is some nasty right wing BS in figure skating. No wonder Weir left to do his own shows. The smart skaters will join Weir, because all this Jesus hates the gay figure skaters stuff is not going to survive with the younger American generations.
- [quote] The smart skaters will join Weir, because all this Jesus hates the gay figure skaters stuff is not going to survive with the younger American generations.
If they're smart they'll stay away from Weir because everyone hates Weir. Even the gays.
- The LGBT community loves Johnny Weir. Only closeted male figure skaters, who think Johnny Weir is ruining their sponsorship opportunities (Like Evan Lysacek, Jeremy Abbott and everyone at IMG and Skate Canada) hate Johnny Weir.
Figure Skating was up to its eye balls in Right Wing Corporate sponsorship (JM Smuckers, Billy Graham, Pat Robertson etc.), which is now falling away for all America, not just Figure Skating.
The future is not "Chick-Fil-a on Ice", the Future is "Apple iIce", as anyone under 50, who is not a Jesus freak, well understands.
- Jeromy Abbot is closeteed? But he's so obvious. Surely he doesn't go the extra mile and say he is straight.
Don't see why Johnny Weir would be a problem anyway. Years ago Rudy Galindo was part of a national skating tour, and he was very much out. Of course he was part of the Champians on Ice tour. Perhaps they were less uptight than most.
Not true. I know plenty of people in the LGBT community who hate Johnny Weir and it has nothing to do with his sexuality. His taste and his skating both suck.
It's a cop out for him and others to blame his inability to rank higher because judges find him flamboyant. Truth is, he's just not a very good skater, doesn't work hard enough and isn't all that talented. Perhaps if he had spent more time in the rink training instead of trying to become a celebrity, he would have done better.
- r131, you don't think Pat Robertson owned the Ice Capades?
- R140 Link to where Scott Hamilton bought up what was left of the Ice Capades, which was previously owned by Pat Robertson.
- Johnny Weir brings more publicity into US Figure Skating than all of the old dogs, OGMs and the currents - Davis and White combined. Jealously is the only resentment Johnny Weir gets. All the skaters who begged to sign with IMG got sucker punched. Stars on Ice is over as are the retro era ice shows. Fireworks Sports may not have the creativity to turn things around, but they will still inherit what is left of the ice shows in the USA.
- [quote] Johnny Weir brings more publicity into US Figure Skating than all of the old dogs, OGMs and the currents - Davis and White combined.
The wrong type of publicity. In his only international competition of this season he ***BOMBED*** big time. Coming in not only last among the other US men, but in dead last overall.
And he was competing against skaters who were in the junior level, when he was at the 2006 Olympics.
- ALL publicity is good publicity.
People like you are why figure skating is failing to attract the new generations. Go back to your gym routine and let the marketing and promotion professionals deal with these sort of things.
You do not belong anywhere near discussions of marketing, sponsorship and promotion.
- r141, Robertson sold off whatever assets were still left from the Ice Capades. Failing companies do that every day.
Hamilton wanted to start an ice show, is it so odd to think he may have bought something? It doesn't mean he agrees with Robertson or even likes him.
- R145 again, link where Pat Robertson sold Ice Capades to Scott Hamilton.
- [quote] ALL publicity is good publicity.
So when the US team did poorly at this year's worlds is that good publicity?
- Americans love the underdog. Yes is it great opportunity for publicity, unless the marketing department is full of patronage jobs to retired old skaters who don't know what the f*uck they are doing.
- America will never be at the top of the skating world again.
It's better for skaters to be short and light in order to complete the rotations for the more difficult jumps like a triple axel or quad. American skaters are a lot taller and and heavier set than their Asian counterparts. It doesn't matter how hard you train, you can't defy physics.
When I hit 6 ft my coach told me to either switch to either ice dancing or pairs or else I would have to quit. Lysachek is the exception as he has a very thin build (I still think his former coach, Debbie Story, is a witch. She used to make her skaters meditate and pray with crystals before competition and they were all phenomenal performers).
I remember when Michael Weiss was trying to nail his quad. Everyone in the skating world thought he had an eating disorder because he lost so much weight in an effort to complete the full rotations.
- It is an advantage to be short in the skating world. But it is not always a total write-off if you are tall. But it will be harder and only the most talented and tenacious can continue. Brian Boitano for example.
Even so, the U.S. is full of short people. And if it does take an Asian build, American has plenty there too.
- [quote]Even so, the U.S. is full of short people. And if it does take an Asian build, American has plenty there too.
Yes, the US is full of short people. Short people with a work ethic is a whole other issue.
- Hamilton was the last really tiny male skater to win Olympic gold, and even before that Cousins and Curry weren't small.
- R150 don't forget that weight and build are very important and Boitano had a very thin build like Lysachek. The physical limitations for my 6' 2" height and 160 lb frame prevented me from getting past a triple loop. The same thing happened to Rockne Brubaker, which is how he got introduced to pairs skating.
- Pairs and Dance are not taken seriously as a sport, but the 50+ year old women seem to still like the two. They will die soon.
The only future the USA has is thru show skating. All Asian entertainment shows, games music, skating and other wise, basically look like psychotic Christmas trees set to bad techno music. There is a reason why Americans and Europeans dominate the entertainment business. Unfortunately, attracting the American entertainment industry means you have to be very respectful to the homosexuals. Not something figure skating has a good track record at.
- So what's the problem. That openly gay skaters are not used in ice shows? Or is the lack of American champians to blame? And will Americans really not pay to see foreign skaters in a show?
- Stars on Ice is Scott Hamilton's show, so gays are discouraged but, allowed if they lie like Scientologists. Look at Stars on Ice current cast of D-list male skaters, but D-list male skaters who have all publicly declared themselves heterosexuals - the key to getting a job with Stars on Ice.
It doesn't really matter in the end though, because Stars on Ice still puts on shows like it is 1955, even though they began in the 1980s. Nobody is attending anymore, so they won't last much longer - if US Figure skating stops giving them athletes money, that is.
- The funny thing is so many small, local charity shows are still looking at Stars On Ice for guidance. ALL skating shows are dying because of it.
- Whatever happened to Champians on Ice. They had a much more interesting cast of skaters and put on a better overall show. Just don't understand how "Stars on Ice " outlived Champians.
- [quote] Stars on Ice is Scott Hamilton's show,
Link confirming that he owns the show.
- Everybody says what a crappy job Stars on Ice is doing but nobody says exactly why. They may be conservative and not hire openly gay skaters, but they never did. So the trouble that SOI is having must be due to more than this.
- Stars on Ice puts on shows like it is still 1965, where most of their audiences glory days are. Why is "Leave It To Beaver" so retro? why aren't people listening to the Beach Boys anymore? People like R160 need to talk TO somebody under 30 every once and a while - NOT TALK AT somebody under 30.
It is like trying to explain to my parents why MP3 music is much better than old Vinyl records. They just don't get my point and never will.
- R161 - I don't really have an opinion on ice skating shows. However I don't think there is anyone who thinks MP3 (digital) music is better than Vinyl records (analog).
Music is analog. When you convert it to digital you lose some of the music. So better music - no.
- 1. Digital Music does not have the ticks and pops of records.
2. You can't get 5000 records into a box the size of a package of matches.
3. 99% of music today is recorded digitally. The Masters are Digital. Analog can not ever be better than its source.
- You can spend all day listing the advantages of digital vs. analog.
The post was about the music being better.
Even if the music is recorded digitally - it doesn't change the fact the music itself is analog.
The advantages of digital over analog outweigh the loss of quality. But the music isn't better.
- Scott Hamilton is just one of the right wingers of figure skating. They all know each other.
Sandra Bezic, Scott Hamilton, Kristi Yamaguici, Michelle Kwan, PJ Kwong, Debbie Wilkes, Barb MacDonald, Shae-Lynn Borne, Rachel Flatt, Michael Weiss. Kurt Browning straddles the 2 sides as of late, but he was one of these people too.
- He's got ball.
- IMGs David Baden plays the biggest behind the scene role in the figure skating closet.
- Michael Weiss???
Are you sure about that?
He has a foundation that is very popular with most skaters. His scholarship has been awarded to gay and foreign skaters. At least to my knowledge he is very respectful of others.
I know in his competitive days he was accused of over playing the macho card, which he clearly was. However people do evolve, and in his case it did for the better.
Sandra Bezic is is one of the villians? I thought she was pro gay marriage an all. I'm pretty sure Sandra doesn't belong in this list.
- Sandra Bezic was the producer of Billy Graham Presents, one of the most vocally anti-gay Evangelicals in the USA. Plus, currently Sandra is producing on a show in Canada where they replace all the male figure skaters with hockey players and hold competitions. Sandra thinks that the male figure skaters are the problem with skating today. Skate Canada recently gave her an award for it.
- R169 if Sandra feels that way why did she work with Brian Boitano for many years.
- Brian Biotano is a deeply closeted male who likes to hang around underaged kids.
Please don't include that creepy-pedo like cooking show host as a member of the normal gay community.
- So are you saying Sandra only works with closeted skaters?
- Sandra is not well loved by any gay skater because of her anti-gay, right wing associations, but Brian Boitano is the type of creepy gay right wingers associate with. The type of gays Sarah Paulin and Anne Coulter claim to have as friends.
The only reason Weir came up to Canada to skate in Bezics show, is because the Executives of the CBC were getting a heavy backlash and need a counter balance. They paid Weir $50K plus expenses for it. These are the same Executives who approved the show "Little Mosque on the Prairie".
Hopefully when the Liberals take back Canada in 2015, the anti-gay types at the CBC will also be dumped, Sandra Bezic and PJ Kwong being in that purge.
- R173 watch this video
It will BLOW your mind
- Err...what am I missing here?
I hope you know something else about Brian that the rest of us don't, because the fact that he has a children foundation and is interested in promoting skating to younger generations doesn't make him a pedo. A gay male is just as capable of caring about children as any straight guy or woman.
I do agree on the closeted thing however. He lacks balls. It's just sad.
I hope Sandra is not what you say it is. That would make me very sad. :(
Thankfully the new generation of skaters(at least in the US) seem to be progressive. With the exception of one of those two brats Sean Rabbit or Grant Hochstein who happens to be a teabagger.
- [quote]Sandra Bezic was the producer of Billy Graham Presents, one of the most vocally anti-gay Evangelicals in the USA. Plus, currently Sandra is producing on a show in Canada where they replace all the male figure skaters with hockey players and hold competitions. Sandra thinks that the male figure skaters are the problem with skating today. Skate Canada recently gave her an award for it.
When was Sandra Bezic ever a producer for Billy Graham presents? She was a pairs skater in the early 70's and went on to being a choreographer and a TV commentator for skating events. Paul Wylie works/worked? for Billy Graham.
- Well these male skaters are still living in the past. I thought the Liberace era was over. I guess not in their minds.
- Ah, R174, Jeffrey Buttle is an Official Spokesperson for World Vision Ministries. Has been for 5 years now. They are a US Evangelical Christian group who spread the message of Jesus Christ, here, I copied their mission statement, right off of World Vision website:
"World Vision is an international partnership of Christians whose mission is to follow our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ in working with the poor and oppressed to promote human transformation, seek justice and bear witness to the good news of the Kingdom of God."
They are also a member of the World Evangelical Alliance, the biggest religious organization funding the anti-gay equality drive in the USA today. Buttle has also never come out as gay, so he could be at that event trying to convert LGBT patrons to the Lord Jesus Christ.
- [quote] Jeffrey Buttle is an Official Spokesperson for World Vision Ministries.
R178 link please
- For R173 & R171 from the imported first hand gossip thread.
Just for you!
I slept with Olympic Gold Medalist Brian Boitano. Super nice guy with a HUGE, thick Italian cock amazing legs and ass (of course).
He was a "mystery" massage client under an assumed name...recognized him right off, but pretended not to know who he was. Super sweet guy, great body (obviously) and that cock was amazing. About 8.5x7 and hard as cement. Typically don't sleep with my clients, but I made an exception. Showered together, lots of great conversation. Think I developed a crush.
- Boitano should just join Scientology. He is that type of freak. He is also rumored to be the tiny meat queen of figure skating, until Evan Lysacek stole the title.