Speaking of mold, we are putting our house on the market in March. It's in great shape except for mold on our bathroom ceiling.
A friend's husband, a carpenter, had a look at it and poked around the attic. His advice was to get the bathroom professionally repainted and have the fan replaced. I didn't think to ask Who should replace the fan? And now he and his wife are out of the country for a long trip. Don't want to pester him! ( he did mention that he didn't have any contractor referrals to give these days - he works on his own)
I'm not finding clear answers using Mr Google. I've seen some DIY advice, but we're not handy people! So, should I find an electrician? A plumber? A handyperson? A general contractor?
Also, we want to replace our ugly sink with a pretty pedestal. Again, a DIY project for many, but not for us.
So I guess, we'd want someone to do both. Does it sound like contractor time?
I have an (irrational?) dread of dealing with contractors.
Thank you kindly.
A handyperson could do the job, OP. It's not hard to replace a fan. If you don't think you could do it yourself, maybe you have someone among your family or friends who is handy. You could ask them.
Oops...I meant my fan advice for R2, not OP. But, I am in agreement that we should throe that wet stuff away.
Oh my GAWD, what happened??
You really better throh it away.
R2 are you going to deal with the root cause of the mold? You have to address that before you sell the house to someone who doesn't know you've masked a bigger problem.
Did you know that you can become a Certified Mold Inspector (CMO)? It's a certification that's been hilariously available for years.
Just spray a little Massengill on it.
R7, carpenter friend thought the cause of mold was an old barely functioning fan and that if we replaced it and professionally painted the room it should be ok.
Is that bad advice? I have no clue! Not looking to mask problems and deceive buyers.
R2: The buyers will most likely have an inspection done but with a new fan and paint job the damage won't be visible. It's unusual for a fan to cause visible mold like that; there's usually a water source but maybe it is steam in the bathroom. If your contractor is confident about the source and remedy I wouldn't sweat it. If the inspector finds something else you can address it then. Good luck!