- Paula Patton
- Grace Kelly.
- Carol Channing
- Gabourey Sidibe
- Michelle Obama.
- On "Suits" the actress Meghan Markle, playing paralegal "Rachel" is actually black;has a black - father, I think. Could not tell. At all!
- Oh dear!!!!!
- Dorothy Dandridge... In a handful of old pics
- Mariah Carey
- Nicole Brown Simpson.
- We have a Passing for White Troll on datalounge. He is the same one who wanted to know about white actors with yellowish skin.
- Ellen Holly the first black actress to pass for white.
- Melissa Gorga (Real Housewives of New Jersey). Look at an old photo of her before she straightened her hair at link.
- Coby Bell
- Dinah Shore
- This actress that is on "Revenge".
Film - 'Under The Cherry Moon'
- Stacey Dash couldn't pass for white, but she's definitely mixed.
- Gosh, that young Pitt pic at R16 looks like the cover of a Chi Chi LaRue film.
- Goodness - most of the folks on this thread can pass for biracial (which they are) or latina, but definitely not white. However, Meghan Markle is a really good one. Also, I thought Jennifer Beals was Italian during her Flashdance days.
- Some of you are reaching.
No to Paula Patton and Rashida Jones.
Ashley Madekwe can't pass for white either.
- To add No to Coby Bell. You can tell he's definitely not white.
- Actually, R28, Rashida really could pass for white.
- Aaron Lohr as Mickey Dolenz in "Daydream Believer"
- Kyle Heffner? No way. He looks Italian!
- It must be awful to be black. I justt can't imagine the amount of grief one would have to deal with.
- Don't you mean "blactors"?
- It must be awful to be R33.
- Isn't Italian white?
Kyle T. Heffner
- Here is an example of Black People who could pass as white, not including the adult male.
- Actually, R37, the adult male could too.
- GREAT example R37. Victoria Rowell's daughter (on the left at link) is another example.
- Not an actor per se, but Cash Warren (Jessica Alba's husband) could pass for white.
- Oops wrong link. Here's Victoria Rowell with daughter.
- I used to think Slash was totally white too. The hair was the one thing that lead me to believe otherwise.
- I went to Northwestern with Kyle Heffner. if he is black, it was not common knowledge among the theatre folk there at the time ( there were few black theatre majors there then, so it would likely have been noted).
- Ugh - catching hell trying to paste that link. Just google it lol.
- None of those people are "black", they're bi- or multi-racial.
Would you call Jennifer Tilly or Keaunu Reeves "Asian"? Of course not. They're bi-racial.
- Tai Babilonia and son.
- Channing Tatum
- R51, didn't you get the memo? Obama is black u racist.
- [quote]I went to Northwestern with Kyle Heffner. if he is black, it was not common knowledge among the theatre folk there at the time ( there were few black theatre majors there then, so it would likely have been noted).
The reason I know is because he did an episode of, I believe it was Sally Jesse Raphael, back in the day, where the entire panel were people who are black but look white.
- Gwyneth Paltrow
- Thanks, R51.
- R52, Tai is my cousin on my dad's side.
- If you "look white" you likely are.
At least in part.
- What about Justin Guarini?
- R51, Most the Black women claim that their child or grandchildren is black and were raised identifying as black.
- Mikey Rourke
- Victoria Rowell's daughter Maya Fahey
- My Cuban-born mother is wonderful on this topic. This woman who didn't teach her children Spanish did teach us pride.
"Don't let them tell you you're not black," she tells me. "Don't let them tell you you're not Hispanic or not Cuban." And I don't. The fact that I work for CNN has fostered my commitment to telling great stories about people of color.
Soledad O'Brien explores Latino experience, mixed-race heritage.
- [quote]Mikey Rourke
Mikey? Is he Mickey's brother?
- President Obama is bi-racial. Is it wrong to call him black?
- I knew a girl who went to the prom with Soledad's brother. This girl, by the way, is Sri Lankan but could pass for white. So lots of passing.
- Oh! I just thought of: Maya Rudolph. If I didn't know Minnie Riperton (RIP) was her mother, I would never have figured it out. I mean, she has freckles, for God's sake (and no, I don't know any freckle-faced blacks, but am sure they exist.)
- Deborah Pratt and daughter Troian Bellisario.
- Yeah, Troian looks totally white. She and her mother both appeared in "Quantum Leap" episodes (Donald P. Bellisario is Troian's dad and Deboarah's husband).
And yes, Maya does look completely white. Although yes, R68, there are some freckle-faced blacks.
- Maya looks white in that one back and white photo upthread, but she does not look white otherwise. See many google images at link. Look at her coloring and facial features. She looks like a ligh-skinned black woman with freckles. Light does not equal white.
- so someone with white skin is black as long as theyve been raised to identify with it. ?? would that include MJ's kids? what if it came out that none of their bio parents were black? just wondering.
- Will people in this country at least admit that our sad tradition of calling a person black if they have "one drop" of African blood but appear completely white is patently racist?
Why do we treat people with African ancestry so differently? Contrast with people who are part Asian and part caucasian. They refer to themselves, for example, as "half Filipino, half Italian" or some such mixture.
- Lena Horn, I thought she was a well-tanned white lady when I saw her on talk shows growing up. I also remember my sister expressing shock that Mariah Carey is black (well a bit anyway.) I think Mariah's more identifiable though, especially since her music is R&B. That sister can be pretty clueless.
A high school friend was also surprised that Tina Turner is black. I can kinda see that since she was a big rock star on MTV at the time, the first black female rock star. And she dyes her hair blond, but she'd still have to be a really tanned white lady.
And I don't know what r23 is talking about, I can't imagine anyone mistaking her for white. It might occur to you she's probably mixed, but that's about it.
- Good question, R66?
- [quote][R51], Most the Black women claim that their child or grandchildren is black and were raised identifying as black.
What a ridiculous point.
Moms and grandmothers of all races often claim all kinds of stuff about their kids that the kids themselves disagree with. Do you define YOURSELF exactly the same way that your mom or grandmother does? You'd be a pretty pathetic individual if you did.
Besides, did it ever occur to you that these folks have at least one parent or a set of grandparents who aren't black? That maybe they're just as invested in and influential to these people? That is the point of the thread, isn't it? Why do only one set of elders get to define the child's racial identity, and why does that version of their identity supersede all other, equally apparent racial identities?
- Trevor Blumas,who was infamously rumored to be Hayden Christiansen's 'vibrant thang'
- There have been rumors that Miss Julie is passing.
- Canadian born actress Jessica Parker Kennedy:
- Not an actor,but U.S Health Commissioner Margaret Hamburg:
- Annalynne McCord?
- Brad Pitt is part black (see r16)?
- Prince was so sexy including in Under the Cherry Moon.
- Vin Diesel?
- Vin? Maybe a little.
- r51 and r73 -- thank you both for making your point.
It's kills me how both black and white Americans apply the "one-drop" rule to only people with African blood. It's ridiculous and insulting.
- Sheena Easton
- try to cry out in the heat of the moment possessed by a fury that burns from inside
- R72, Only Blanket would be considered black because his mother is Prudence Solomon, the other two are white children.
- [quote]And she dyes her hair blond,
Hon, Tina Turner's blond hair was a wig.
- Well it is because we still live in a one-drop rule culture R86. If you are visibly black you are going to be treated in society like a black person is treated. You are not treated like a white person is treated in this society. Yes you can be just as "proud" of your other lineages but that is why most bi-racial people identify as black.
Barack Obama does not know what it feels like to be a white guy, he does know what it feels like to be a black guy.
- I don't think Dinah Shore was black but she was Jewish. Her real first name was Fanny. She went to high school with a friend of my mother's in Nashville or Memphis or somewhere.
- "Nashville or Memphis or somewhere"
Are you quite certain of that, R92?
- Many times it's a matter of life and death R86.
- Hume-Fogg High School, Nashville. Google (more precisely Wikipedia) is your friend.
- R95? Bettie Page, Dinah Shore? Why can't you just say what you mean?
- A little help for R45. Here's Victoria with both of her Children.
- [quote] don't think Dinah Shore was black but she was Jewish. Her real first name was Fanny. She went to high school with a friend of my mother's in Nashville or Memphis or somewhere.
When Shore died, People magazine said that her mother was an African-American housekeeper. They were not asked to print a retraction if I recall.
- r91, "visibly" black is one thing, but if I had a great great great great grandparent who was black in appearance and I was white in appearance, it makes no sense for me to be considered black.
I mean, I'm black and have two white great-grandparents, but it doesn't make me white. That is why the one-drop rule is stupid and antiquated.
- Carla brenari. She pretended e to be Italian but was black . Ended up in some small town in Pennsylvania working for a doctor .
- Both randi Rhodes and Gerald's Rivera claim to be black.
- I wouldn't describe any of those people listed (or the incumbent US president) as black. They're all mixed race.
I am mixed race, and would never describe myself as either black or white.
- Melissa from RHONJ.
- flag: [ww] [ff] [troll-dar]
Ellen Holly the first black actress to pass for white.
by: Anonymous\treply 19\t10/04/2012 @ 08:20P
Actually darling Ellen never tried to pass as white. I wish she had. She'd have worked more as an actress if she'd have been willing to play white characters. She either had to convince castingndirectorsmtomoetmher play white skinned black, or wear black makeup. Her off broadway debut was in a play where her character was an African woman. In those days there was no theatrical makeup for her to wear that would make her look black, so her father, a chemist, created one. Ironically, on One Life To Live, she played a black actress WHO DID pass for white. When she returned to the show after having been gone for a few years, she was wearing black makeup, which I thought was very strange. Gifted, gifted, gifted actress.
- Mary Pickford
- The thread's not nearly as stupid as you, R105.
- Merle Oberon's mother was supposed to have been native to India. Merle herself was said to have worn make up to cover a dusky complexion. He children, who were all adopted and one of her ex husbands deny this howmever. Anna Leonowens (the real life Anna whose books inspired The King and I) was the whitest Englishwoman who ever lived, but she went to great lengths to cover up her own Indian ancestry, I think it was a grandparent. She even cut off contact with her sister when she married an Indian. Their grandson btw was of all people, Boris Karloff. So he too was an actor who passed for white butnwasmof mixed ancestry. Really, what difference does it make? They were so stupid to,care about such things.
- What R105 said.
And I'll add Taylor Swift, Elijah Wood, Hugh Jackman, Jon Hamm and Brooke Shields.
- Taylor Swift? No way!
- I am so dense than when Halle Berry won her Oscar and the talk was about an Oscar for a black woman, having never seen any of her films and had no idea she was black.
I also did not know Susan Rice was black. Only when she got all the exposure could I see she was black. They tell me Mariah is black.
- Former NOLA mayor Moon Landrieu and his children, including US Senator Mary and current NO mayor Mitch.
- Pernell Roberts was rumored to have been black.
- Really, R113? Come to think of it, he did look a little mixed.
- Steve Martin
- Pernell was a gorgeous man in his youth. A touch of the "tar brush" clearly can be a good thing.
- Pernell Roberts was from Georgia, was outspoken about civil rights all his life, raised frequent Hell about the way Blacks and Native Americans were portrayed on television.
I realize all that proves nothing, but his passing for white was much discussed in The South when Bonanza went on the air, and some Southern stations threatened a boycott.
- "On "Suits" the actress Meghan Markle, playing paralegal "Rachel" is actually black;has a black - father, I think. Could not tell. At all!"
Ahhhhhh, most Black people can tell other Black people...it's called "Blackdar" I think...
Except for my 72 year old mom who can't tell anymore...
- My mother's side of the family is black, but they all look practically white, it's very confusing to my non southern white friends who just don't get it. My Grandmother's sister moved to NYC in the 1950s and passed as white. She remained there until she was in her 70s when she brought her family 'back home' to discover who she really was. I was around 10 when this happened, but remember it so clearly.
- Sebastian LaCause
- Not an actor, but blue-eyed cutie Baltimore Oriole Chris Davis has been rumored to have some black in him.
- I've heard rumors about Mae West, Joseph Cotten and Dinah Shore for years.
- Porn Star Matthew Rush
- I read an internet article that alleged that Faye Resnick pulled a Michael Jackson and had her nose done and made other alterations to her original appearance. It showed an alleged 'before' picture of a woman who was clearly African American.
Since it was an internet article I can't say it holds water.
- Broadway's Brian Stokes Mitchell
- I have met at least a handful of guys from Atlantis and they were all so rude and trashy. Is this cultural? Do you know any mermaid actors passing as human? I wish they'd all go back to the underwater city they came from.
- My grandfather used to say that he thought Faye Resnick was black.
- Faye was just addicted to tanning salons. Bad ones who took her money.
- [quote]When Shore died, People magazine said that her mother was an African-American housekeeper. They were not asked to print a retraction if I recall.
The [italic]People[/italic] obituary said only that she had a black nanny growing up.
- Dinah Shore was biracial.
- If they can pass for white they probably are (mostly).
- Samuel L Jackson
- Mark Salling from GLEE
- ROTFLAMO R132!!!
- Kellan Lutz
- How is it that nobody has mentioned our beloved Carol Channing?
- Ellen Holly
- And why the eff does it matter? Do a DNA test - I did for ancestry - and you'll be surprised...
- Dorothy Lamour. Born in Louisiana (I think) she always claimed her "exotic coloring" was due to her French, Spanish & Irish ancestry, but I'm sure she was mostly Creole.
- Lillian Hayman
- Shirley Temple Black
- He's not an actor, but Martin Gore from Depeche Mode is biracial. Even he didn't know this until his thirties when his mother told him that his biological father is African American US soldier. Martin's girlfriend was pregnant and his mother decided to tell him the truth in case kid turned out to be black they'd know why.
- Yep, R142, Marin is indeed half black. I was totally shocked when I learned this some years back because you generally can't tell.