- Edward seemed on the verge of death thirty years ago.
- Nobody ever dies on soaps. When I thought Robin died, I watched this montage about her and her mom and cried. Now, I don't know WHAT to feel.
- John Ingle is reported to be not well.
- John Ingle is in very poor health. Today may well have been his final performance. The show wanted to pay tribute to him while he's still here which I think is wonderful.
- His wife died recently inl :(
- Frank Valentini and Ron C had been hoping to use John Ingle a lot more but he's been ill after his wife's death. He spoke only a few lines but they made the episode a tribute to him and gave Edward an act of heroism. That's class.
- [quote] Today Tracy of all people begged him to take his life saving medicine during the virus outbreak.
A bit inconsistent because this is the same woman that withheld his heart medication (while he was having a heart attack) until she got her cash.
- Well, this is a Tracy who's lost her mother, too.
The Voice of the Night
- Editor, this is a SOAPS thread!
- Today was John Ingle's last episode. He is very ill. He agreed to come back just once. They wrote something very respectful for him as a loved actor and character.
- It was a brilliant and very moving thing to have Edward come to the hospital and see how sick Emma was. I teared up. If this is John Ingle's swan song what a way to go out. I was sad to see how sick he looked though. It reminded me of Ruth Warrick's last appearance as Aunt Phoebe on AMC. I think she died just a few weeks after they taped it.
- Jason Thompson tweeted earlier that his tears in his final scene with John Ingle were real.
GH hit a 2.5 this week as well. The show is so good during this virus adventure.
- John's wife of almost 60 years passed away back in February. It somehow doesn't surprise me that he's so ill. Lots of men don't make it very long after their wives die, so knowing that he's sick, it doesn't really surprise me.
I've only watched GH sporadically since CarTini took over, but from what i have seen, if they've decided to make Nancy Lee Grahn the star of the show (which the impression that I've gotten) good for them.
And as I said in an earlier thread, she's had some of the best cosmetic surgery of just about any actress on soaps right now.
The Voice of the Night
- I watched the episode online.
It's been a very, very long time since a soap, even the final days of OLTL made me cry, but damned if GH didn't pull it off.
The Voice of the Night
- I haven't been this emotional since Maxie got BJ's heart.
My best to John Ingle.
- VOTN, you should go back and watch from around two weeks ago. That's when the big Jerry Jacks virus adventure began and it's grand.
- I have to say that I never thought I would like GH again but the writers are doing a bang up job. Less Sonny and Jason is great too.
- If JFP was still at the helm, she would have replaced John with Jed Allan. Like the last time.
- The think that killed me the most about the Jed Allan thing was that he was the one who Edward from Anna Lee's memorial service, despite the fact that John Ingle said he would be honored to be the one to appear in that episode (as did Rena Sofer) and they were both turned down.
If they even bother with a Daytime Emmys next year, I hope Jane Elliot puts that on her reel.
The Voice of the Night
- I still see Edward giving Patrick the thumbs up. It's going to stick with me for awhile.
- What I love about the show these days is not only the adventure but all the weighty nods to history.
Ian Buchanan was snapped up from Days of our Lives to return as Duke Lavery. It turns out he has Robin in Switzerland and somehow cut a deal with Jerry to get her. It is supposed to be leading to a story with Duke, Anna and Luke. Anna has banished Luke after their Robin-hunting adventure upon learning he lied to Robert and told him Ethan was his son. Anna is the PC chief of police and took down Heather Webber, but she took a leave of absence to search for Robin.
With the virus outbreak, Heather escaped from prison. She is now in Llanview living with Tea Delgado as "Victor Lord III's" new nanny. Victor III is actually Jason and Sam's son. This is a deliberate echo to when Heather played the nanny to her own son (who was adopted by Diana Taylor) in the 70s. Heather has been shown telling the baby that "you are my new Steven Lars" For OLTL fans, Victor and Tea's old house has either shrunk or Tea has finally moved out of the rapemance mansion.
The Edward and Tracy medicine subplot is obvious. It just all fits together. Add in Lisa Lo Cicero's Olivia who has become a psychic with LSD acid flashbacks after Heather's attack on her and the show is a hoot and a half!
It is clear the new team loves Jax and Ingo Rademacher. He has had a huge role in this story and it's proven out in the ratings. Guza would never have let him or the PCPD play the heroes. I hope Ingo agrees to return more often from his pleasure dome in Hawaii.
- I was shocked by how fragile John Engle appeared yesterday,and it was terribly moving scene-well played by all. I just adore Jason Thompson and I'm surprised he has not broken out of soaps yet-or even wants to. I heard he just did an episode of Gossip Girl,true?
- I'm enjoying Jax too. As much as I dislike Carly, I think a Carly/Jax/Todd triangle would be a hoot. Todd not wanting to bloody is jacket because "it didn't just come off the rack" was pretty funny.
- Blair is back soon too.
- THe only reason the ratings went up is because people turned on the tube early in anticipation of Katie's debut, which actually inreased on GH's ratings. Expect the inflated ratings to return to normal once the curiosity is over.
- I haven't watched GH in years on a regular basis because it became unwatchable. I'm tuning in more often now. I have to think there are others that are doing the same. It's actually becoming very good (who knew?).
- They're having another virus?
- I think what most impressed me was how much it seemed like a classic episode of GH, with the action-adventure and the actual use of the hospital.
I still wish there were more than a handful of characters that I recognize, but with seeing that Alexis and Jax seem to have the screen time that used to go to Sonny and Jason (and even Sonny was actually used well, for a change), was incredibly refreshing.
If they're bringing Robin back for good (or at least until the show gets the ax), and if that means that they give Fin Hughes a lot to do, I might even be persuaded to stick around for a while
Hell, even McBain seems like a great addition, but I'd be happier if they brought back Kassie de Paiva permanently.
The Voice of the Night
- Watch the story from the beginning with Jerry's TV broadcast at the end of August, VOTN. It is a great watch.
Robin was shown a few months ago briefly escaping from her captors but was recaptured and subjected to shock therapy before being moved to Switzerland, where it turns out Duke is watching over her. That's all we know now, except that Jerry and Ewen were responsible for faking her death and handing her over.
- Blair was on for a week in July for Starr's debut at the Haunted Star. Todd tried to convince her to get back together and they made out, but she resisted and said she still loved him but couldn't trust him and was engaged to Tomas Delgado. It was clear it wasn't over though. They reran one of those episodes last Monday.
- Is Ewen dead? I thought he would turn out to be Jerry and Jax's brother!
- Now, if they could only persuade Genie Francis to come back.
Are they still planning Barbara Garrick to end the Todd/Victor Jr story?
Are there any places to watch that aren't ABC.com or Hulu? They only go back five days.
And I know ABC would never allow this, but damn it, I want some real Port Charles gays before the end.
The Voice of the Night
- Also, I kind of wish that Tracy had mentioned more than just Anna for his appearance in the hereafter.
Alan, AJ, Mary Mae, and especially Emily. Back in the Amber Tamblyn's time, no matter hor horrible he was to the rest of the family, he loved the hell of Emily.
The Voice of the Night
- I thought Edward died years ago. I am so confused. Of course, I haven't watched GH i over 10 years.
- [quote]Also, I kind of wish that Tracy had mentioned more than just Anna for his appearance in the hereafter.
The Voice of the Night
- Ewen is dogmeat. He was revealed to have been in Jerry's pocket because Jerry knew he had killed John Jacks. They actually brought the John Jacks actor back to play scenes comatose in a hospital bed. Jacks Sr. had stolen the "Dead Man's Hand" cards (the hand of cards Wild Bill Hickok was carrying when he died, fabled to have magic powers) from Ewen's family to gain his fortune. It was a revival of the same story that introduced Sam to the show in 2003, a treasure hunt which involved her, Jax and AJ. All of the money in this storyline has been tied to the Dead Man's Hand. Jerry blames his father for making him do all his dirty work over the years. This story has actually had a lot to do with the Jacks brothers all along, much more than Sonny or Jason.
I have heard Barbara G is supposed to appear along with Trevor St John to wrap the story up, and that Victor may be a prisoner along with Robin. But there is no set date on those rumors. KDP is confirmed to be coming back, supposedly in October.
Genie should be free any day now that JFP has taken over Y&R. Part of me wonders if that is why they swerved to grab Ian Buchanan and very hastily wrote him into the story as Duke. To free Luke up.
- David Lewis, the first Edward, attempted to fake his death, but he was found in a south American country and brought back to Port Charles by Anna.
The Voice of the Night
- Tracy has been mentioning Alan a lot lately. She talked to her new fuckbuddy Joe Jr. about him at the start of this storyline. Yes, Tracy is getting love scenes again and a lot of them.
It's made me wonder if the rumors that Alan will turn up alive along with Robin at the end of this huge story are really true. I sure hope so.
- They should bring Jessie and Amy back and go for a Zombie storyline. It couldn't be worse.
- The best place to watch GH online is the "SimplyGH" account on YouTube. They have it in HD and all in one long video for each day.
The virus story "officially" started on 8/27.
- Oh Dear!
- I think Jane Elliott as Tracy and whomever the actor is playing this Joe, Jr. have amazing chemistry. What I love most about Frank and Ron's work on GH, particularly with this virus storyline, is that the hospital is back to being a major part of the show and not sacrificed at the expense of the Sonny/Jason Mob Hour. Plus, Sonny and Jason are being so well written right now.
Yes, Genie needs to come back and soon. Frank and Ron would have a field day with Luke and Laura. I also hope that Alan Quartermain is alive and Jonathan 'Lucky Spencer' Jackson returns.
- If Heather is living in Llanview, does that mean she'll be running into Tina and Viki and Dorian?!!!
- r43, it would be funny if Heather met and started fucking with Viki and she started to pull out one of her MPD alters on Heather's crazy ass. Tommy vs. Heather...LOL!!!
- They're doing what they did on OLTL and using the vets. Often they would stockpile the veteran actors guaranteed episodes for key storylines or sweeps, like with Hillary Smith, Erika Slezak and Bob Woods. I think they have done the same at GH with Jane Elliot and NLG, who have been much more prominently featured in the last month and even getting love stories. Before Tony Geary took off and Finola Hughes went to do a film they were on a lot too. Fin is coming back shortly but they were smart to pre-tape a lot of drop in material for Tony for once.
Heather is living with Tea in Llanview. We have also seen John and Natalie's new house there a few months ago, when John returned home to find Natalie gone after Todd sent her the photo of John and Sam kissing on the fourth of July. Natalie used Papa Clint's resources to fly to London with their son and stole John's passport so he couldn't follow, and Alexis has taken his custody case against Natalie and Clint. There are rumors of people like Viki and David Vickers turning up along with Blair, and of Jack Manning being recast but you never know.
Frank Valentini has been claiming he wants to use Natalie but is prohibited for several more months by the details of the Prospect Park contract for the online OLTL. Also Melissa Archer is busy doing a movie. We did see Natalie's picture all over her and John's house in Llanview.
- That's sad. Edward is leaving GH. All the old school GH people are leaving.
Here's Lucky's (the first one) death. I saw this and cried my eyes out. Lucky is my age.
When Brenda died that really sucked too.
- Oh God, no r45. I can't stand the character of Natalie; never did. Plus, I've heard several accounts that Melissa Archer is a diva bitch. She is not needed in Port Charles.
- If McBain can become likable on GH, maybe Nat can too.
- Is Natalie coming to GH? I hope so. I would love to see more OLTL people on GH.
- It really does seem like they've turned things around,ratings wise r12. There is still an audience out there and combining GH with OLTL was a smart move. I just wish they would bring a Ford Bro or two over-after all,an actor's lead the life of gypsies and I don't see a problem with uprooting to LA for a steady gig.
BTW,are Cole and Hope being warehoused in the same facility as Robin? And what movie is Finola Hughes doing now?
- I lost it the first when Emma said will we see mommy if we don't get better and PAtrick said I really hope so... hell I'm crying typing it!
- GH should never have been saved over OLTL. It will never make any sense. The only reason GH is gaining (like OLTL was) is because they have OLTL people running the show. That, and the fact they also brought over OLTL's leading men. I miss the Dorian, David, Nigel, Destiny, Shawn, Victor, Vicki, Roxie, so many. I just wished ABC would have corrected their mistake and saved OLTL. I know it's water under the bridge but it will always irk me.
- I thought Ingo was banned from GH because he pissed off Marice, Steve and Guza?
If Frank Valentini and Ron Carlivarti weren't attractive all of the soap press and soap bloggers would be giving him hell for this cartoon he is calling a soap.
- I don't know R53, The ratings are up. Looks or no looks. Plus, How did Ingo piss off the big (at the time)three? What did he do/say? Please share.
- If GH had been cancelled instead of OLTL, I wonder how the show would be getting along. There's something a bit self aware in Carlivarti's writing which always grated on me. Claire Labine was the same way. I find them cloying.
If OLTL had been saved, i wonder if they could have got Harding lemay out of retirement? HA!!! Going back into that emotional maelstrom probably would have killed him! Soaps need fresh writers!
- Do you think Robin Christopher will ever return as Skye? Since she has ties to Llanview as well as Port Charles (and Pine Valley), there's a plethora of story potential there.
- Blah, blah, blah.
Wasn't John I on DOOL playing Mickey and that's why they recast Edward
- Jill Farren Phelps had fired all the vets back around 2003. John Ingle got fired along with Anna Lee. He was hired to play Mickey on Days and then when the audience got pissed at the stupid move of firing the vets they hired Jed Allen to play Edward. I believe JI had been willing to return but JFP and Frons were being assholes. Finally he returned some years ago and has had a few scenes here and there to prop JFP here Jason and Sonny.
RC and FV truly honored the man with what they wrote for Edward. I started crying the moment I saw him wheeled in to GH. I knew JI's wife had died and he has been fighting skin cancer for years which is why he uses the hats since the cancer is in his scalp, but I had no idea he was so ill. It was a great callback to Tracy taking the heart medication away when she was young and angry b/c Edward could never love her enough to now she wanting to save him at the cost of everyone else. Great scenes.
Since JFP is in Y&R I'm sure FV expects Genie Francis to be fired and for him to scoop her up to work on GH.
I still miss OLTL. I'm shocked that Ron and Frank were able to turn the shitfest of GH around and can only imagine what they could have done to OLTL without Frons controlling hand. Now that they are rid of him, GH is being written like GH instead of fake Sopranos (Frons dream).
I also think Alan is returning. He's needed to be the Quartermaine patriarch and Tracy has mentioned him a bunch of times. He has to be with Robin.
Tracy and Joe Jr. are hot. Hope they keep that actor.
- Actually R59 what happened was both John Ingle and Anna Lee were dropped to recurring status.
Days seeing an opportunity scooped up John Ingle.
JFP replaced him with Jed Allen.
- Is GH still hiring?
- R54, I'm copying and pasting the details. It boils down to Ingo calling Steve Burton out on his greed.
The Suds Report - Monavie-gate: Ingo Rademacher versus Steve Burton!
• Want more proof the business is imploding? There’s a controversy brewing backstage regarding the miracle Jesus Juice Steve Burton is hawking to GH viewers at fan events. Burton — who recently told Soap Opera Weekly he’s earned over half a million dollars so far this year as an independent distributor — and his co-star Derk Cheetwood (Max) filmed a promotional YouTube video on the ABC set without network permission. The viral video stars a security guard and a wardrobe employee promoting the cult-like benefits of the Monavie culture.
A furious Ingo Rademacher (Jax) reportedly emailed a letter to the entire GH cast urging them not to participate in this shady and dodgy pyramid scheme because it is beginning to make the show look greedy. Later, I’m told Burton and Rademacher exchanged tense words on set regarding the email. But then Rademacher had to depart for his five-month paid vacation.
When The Suds Report called GH to ask if ABC was unofficially endorsing the product because ABC's creative and physical property were featured in Burton’s video, a rep said he wasn’t aware of the YouTube promo.
So what’s the big fuss over this miracle juice? Monavie is described as a wellness elixir, which contains a blend of 19 body-beneficial fruits – including the Brazilian acai berry, one of nature’s top super-foods. “He’s exploiting his fan base, who probably can’t even afford to pay their rent. In exchange, Burton [interfaces] with his fans for their patronage,” gripes one of his co-stars.
Burton’s sidekick Bradford Anderson (Spinelli) claims, “As well as all of the antioxidants, many of the ingredients have anti-inflammatory properties as well. Cheetwood’s mother in-law has arthritis in her hands and after a week, noticed a stark difference.”
Perhaps the miracle beverage is the perfect antidote for GH’s terminal ratings, as well. Or Burton’s bank account. Vote in our poll to voice your support or concerns regarding Monavie-gate.
Burton’s and Rademacher’s rep didn’t respond for interview requests by press time.
- "The Sonny Soprano Show" is STILL on? I stopped taping GH when it became all about mobsters and less about the actual hospital dramas.
I currently work from home, so I usually keep the TV on as background noise, I then remembered Star, McBain and Todd from OLTL were now on this craptaculous show.
Are they basically playing the same characters? Star will never be a glamourous soap actress, so getting rid of her daughter was a very bad move, especially when I noticed they appeared to try sexing Star up and that is a joke. She has zero sex appeal and is not a pretty woman.
They did get rid of her daughter, right? I heard that her daughter and the kid's father were killed?
I personally think it's time to kill off this show, it's been awful for years and bringing in others from another show is not going to help this hot mess.
- I'm waiting for Kristina Wagner.
- I am so glad there is finally a "General Hospital" thread here. Lately this show has been nothing short of blockbuster. Epic is scope, incredibly moving in it's emotional character interactions and the astonishing degree to which it "mines" the history of the characters, especially those played by the same characters for decades, is exactly the reason I have loved the soap opera genre my whole life.
This show has so transcended any limits non-soap watchers may think about when they think about soaps that it almost leaves me breathless.
Truly, the best show on television now, bar none.
- Let me know if/when Celia and Grant Putnam are coming back. Celia was one babe that I might have gone to the other side for.
Sherilyn Wolter (Celia) was gorgeous.
- And here's Sherilyn on Santa Barbara in 1987.
- Grant and Celia and the scorpion.
- Thanks R67, and 68, and 69. That's as lovely as I remember.
Is Celia Quartermaine still alive? I can't remember how she last left the show. Maybe she could come back for Edward's funeral.
- I don't know if Celia is still alive. Would love to see Sherilyn again.
- Celia and a shirtless Jimmy Lee
- The big finale was a trip! Olivia on the roof of the hospital having a acid trip which led her to predict the future. She's been doing a lot of that since Heather injected her. You know you're in for good soap when the script includes the line "That's the LSD talking!" I love what they have done with her character.
- I just started watching GH again a couple of weeks ago and I'm totally amazed at the transition. I don't follow writer and producer changes but it's pretty obvious that all new people are in charge. I still don't get how ABC allowed this to be such a shitty show for so long.
Ingo looks great and the OLTL crossovers seem more likable now. But the scenes with Edward, Tracy and Patrick were the most memorable I've seen on a soap in a very long time. Still can't stand Jason and Sonny seems to be on less.
The timing is great because Y&R is becoming a crapfest. I need to have one soap I can watch.
- [quote]Hell, even McBain seems like a great addition,
Isn't that weird? I feel the same way and I hated him on OLTL.
- [quote]I just wish they would bring a Ford Bro or two over-after all,an actor's lead the life of gypsies and I don't see a problem with uprooting to LA for a steady gig.
Lenny Platt, on his night shift at Dunkin' Donuts -Times Square
- r75 I agree. Never liked McBain on OLTL. He just seemed like he was taking up valuable screen time from characters I cared about.
Plus, since they gave Michael Easton a huge raise to stay back in 2006, they didn't have the money to keep Dan Gautier as Kevin in the cast, so Kevin got shipped off to the Buchanan compound in London.
But I am really enjoying McBain on GH. Seems to fit in perfectly. Has great chemistry with Kelly Monaco.
Who could have imagined that the problem was that McBain was on the wrong show all along?
- r58 Back in 2004, Guza and JFP decided to kill off the Edward Quartermaine character in what ever sweeps month disaster stunt they were having -- something about a high rise on fire and helicopters were needed to rescue people off the roof.
So, they terminated John Ingle's contract.
When the fans heard that GH was killing off Edward, they protested. The show had a change of heart and decided to keep Edward alive and let Ingle stay on as recurring.
At the same time, John Clark announced he was retiring from acting, so Days of Our Lives scooped up Ingle to play Mickey Horton, putting him on contract.
So, with Edward in the GH story breakdowns, the decided to recast. JFP knew Jed Allan well from playing CC Capwell on Santa Barbara (he was a FOJ - Friend of Jill), so she brought him in to play Edward, even though Jed is only a year older than Stuart Damon, who played Edward's son Alan.
- Jed Allan playing Edward was bizarre.
- Is it possible for some kind soul to start a thread on the show ALL THE RIGHT MOVES? It's on the Oxygen Network about lots of gay boys dancing. I'm surprised that I haven't seen one on DL yet!
- R80 you are welcome
- Thank you,doll!(r81)
- Mac and Felicia are on today!
Mac lost his job to Anna some months back and has resumed his role as a restauranteur. He took over the new Floating Rib a.k.a. Jake's.
- Mitch Williams just fucked my shit-pussy in the Versailles Room john.
- It's official- Genie Francis has been fired from Y&R.
- Wow R85, Kinda saw that coming with JPF getting hired and all, but dang that was certainly fast! I didn't like the Gen character at all so i won't miss her. Have no idea why she and many others were brought on in the first place. MAB was making Y&R a home for out of work soap actors. There has to be more firings coming. The cast is just too damn big. Anyone know who could possibly go next?
- Friends of Jill's (FOJ) will soon be crawling the halls of Y&R as she is cleaning house to make way for her people.
Last week it was Kevin Schmidt (Noah) who was canned, and replaced with some actor she worked with on that Hollywood show she was producing.
One of her biggest claims to fame was canning Justin Chambers (Grey's Anatomy) on AW for some no-name actor she worked with on GL.
Now ten years later Justin Chambers is a big star, and he replacement is nowhere to be seen.
JFP makes casting decisions like that.
- Nelson is now saying that the all four actress who play the Brooks sisters are the next to go. And just when I finally got used to Victoria Mallory!
- I just watch soaps, I don't normally follow who's in charge but after reading this thread I just want to make sure I have this straight:
I used to watch GH but about 10 years ago it got unbearable so I switched to Y&R which was pretty good. A few weeks ago I realized how awful Y&R has become so I thought I would take a look at GH again. I'm actually loving it and find I'm looking less and less at Y&R.
Here's my question- is JFP, Jill? Did she run GH for that 10 year period that sucked (it became an unwatchable soap about thugs)? Did she move to Y&R. Is that why it sucks now? I'm almost thinking this is a joke or I got it wrong somewhere. I mean network heads would see this-right?
- You got it R89
- Not if but WHEN Genie returns to GH, she will have the last laugh. Frank and Ron are doing it up over there and I really believe they will write Luke and Laura well.
- You maybe right R91, But Jill won't care. She will just be happy Genie's not working for her.
- r92, I'm sure Genie's just as happy not working for Jill. I mean it was Jill who walked up to Genie in their GH days and told her she was too fat. When Genie heard that JFP was taking over Y&R, she probably thought, 'Oh hell to the no. Fire my ass. I'm not working with that bitch no more.'
- They said it was for "budget reasons." I would imagine GF wasn't cheap. Frankly, I thought she stunk up the place as Genevieve.
As much as she hates to hear it, she was meant to play Laura Spencer. She's not that great at any other character.
- Yea I think you might be right R93. No love loss between those two.
- [quote] I would imagine GF wasn't cheap.
She didn't care about the salary, she just wanted to work.
She wasn't paid nearly as much as she would make reprising the part of Laura.
- What about Emma Samms? And how did she lose the weight between her time at GH and at Dynasty?
- Drugs and eating disorder
- Genie was making $8500 per episode with a two episodes a week guarantee.
If she returns to GH, it will not be in a Luke and Laura pairing. Tony won't play it and they won't force him and she wouldn't be all that excited about playing it either. If they could get Stephen Nicholas back, she'd play that or a new love interest.
- Kristina Wagner's visible pantylined butt looked cute today.
- "Tony won't play it". That kind of stuff just pisses me off. Look, I'd prefer GF to not be on any soap because I can't stand her. But if GH hires does hire her Tony Geary can either do his job or walk.
- She is looking good still, R100
- R99 you know people's salaries first hand?
- Frank Valentini just gave Steve Burton the brush-off. He made TG tape a series of drop-ins to minimize Geary's onscreen vacation time, and I heard he actually convinced Geary to put more time in this year.
Frank doesn't fuck around. There will be a L&L reunion and Tony will play it. See also the long awaited Bo and Nora reunion Bob Woods initially objected to (and then embraced) at One Life.
- It's GF who doesn't want to be paired with Tony. Not as Luke and Laura anyway. That's what she said on Oprah. She didn't want to be anybody's "victim" if she returned to GH.
- I liked seeing Felicia again today and her scenes with Maxie were good. Anybody else get the idea she was talking about Jack Wagner as much as she was Frisco?
- Usually would for me, too, R101, but in this instance I can't blame Geary. She's the one who wanted to break up Luke and Laura back in the 90s because she and her husband believed that Geary was HIV+. During both her real-life pregnancies she refused to kiss Geary. Other than a chaste kiss here and there, their kisses were actually heavily shadowed almost kisses. There was even a bi in the soap magazines at the time about a pregnant female actress who refused to kiss her co-star because she was afraid of catching germs. Geary put up with a lot from her for years with that, and with coddling her insecurities, and apparently finally has had enough. He's been treated with respect and friendship by Robin Christopher, Jane Elliot, and Finola Hughes. Wouldn't blame him in the slightest for not wanting to have to deal with Francis on a regular basis.
- Her refusal to kiss TG continued way beyond her pregnancies. Way beyond.
Genie has a rep for being a cunt. Tony has a rep for being well liked yet private.
I don't blame him either for not wanting to wrk with her.
- GH actresses from the 80s - Genie, Kristina, Fiona - had gorgeous super long locks of hair.
- Genie may or may not be a cunt but she's OUR cunt. She and Tony will play the romance. They know their gig and even Geary will shut his yap to help the show. Guza is gone.
- [quote]GH actresses from the 80s - Genie, Kristina, Fiona - had gorgeous super long locks of hair.
So did Robin Mattson, Demi Moore, and loony Janine Turner. Renee Anderson "Alex Quartermaine" and Jackie Zeman had thick, voluminous hair also.
- R112 - Wasn't Janine blonde then? Robin had a good head of hair.
- Dishwater blonde with light streaks r113.
- Where is Jaclyn Zeman? Are they really keeping her off the show because of all her plastic surgeries? Who really cares that she has "trout lips" and is pulled a little tight. She's still Bobbie Spencer.
- What about me R112?
- so is Tony Geary HIV+ or not?
- Jackie Zeman has had some reconstructive work done on her mangled face. She looks a bit better these days.
- Glad to hear it. I couldn't even look last time she was on.
- One Life to Live was overrated. I'm sorry but there it is.
You can tell they had to practically restrain Kassie from making this a duet - precisely the reason she did the classic sliding down the wall emotional breakdown.
Let's get serious, people. This was embarrassing, pretentious garbage. Say what you want about GH, but not since the days of Claire Labine was it so affected in its sentiment and contrived to do its job:
- Jackie Zeman just gave an interview to SOD in it she said she was treated horribly by JFP. Not only was she fired by Jill, but her character just disappeared with no explanation.
- Yes R103.
If Frankie V can broker a peace deal between Geary and Francis after all the shit she did, then if Obama gets a second term, we've found our new Secretary of State.
The whole Bob Woods thing was all ego driven stemming from the insecurities of an aging man. HBS never fucked with him in the way that Francis fucked with Geary. It was wrong, it was homophobic, and is just not something you do to your co-stars.
- btw Genie's dismissal due to budget cuts is BS. JFP has dropped Jess Walton to recurring, so they just freed up a lot of dough.
- If Genie didn't want to work with Geary again, why did she come back in 2006 for three weeks?
- Can soap actors afford to be picky? There are only four left. I doubt that Francis or Geary have as much power as they once had. Would they really refuse to play Luke and Laura with the way the soap market is?
- If the situation with Genie and Tony was SO bad, she would never have come back for the blowout lovefest in 2006, or the subsequent return in 2008 which was only cut short by Guza and Phelps.
- JFP did not drop Jess Walton to recurring.
Maria Bell let Jess walk out and semi-retire. JFP is the one who has picked up the phone to try and get Walton back on some basis.
- You are wrong R127. Walton signed a new contract, but was taking a brief breather like Melody Thomas Scott did earlier in the year.
Once JFP took over, she promptly dropped Jess to recurring and told her that over the phone.
- Not according to Walton or Jeanne Cooper, r128. She was gone. Maria Bell did not want her there, so she took off. Cooper publicly said she did not expect her back, at least not on a regular basis. Sony/Bell also tried to get rid of Scott.
Wherever you're getting your tall tale, it is the opposite of reality and has been disputed by the principles involved. JFP called Walton to try to GET HER BACK. The only people disputing this, of course, are a few shills in the pocket of Maria Arena Bell who are still trying to defend her after she crashed the Paley event last month.
- JFP said in an interview in TV Guide Jess will only be back if there is a good story that uses her talents.
- btw Jess did sign a new contract while Maria Bell was still there.
But now JFP TOLD TV GUIDE that Walton will be back if and when a good story comes up that uses her talents.
- Marcy Rylan Given The Boot at Y&R!
Dated February 23, 2012 (While Maria Bell was still EP)
Jess Walton announced on Facebook she has re-inked a new contract with the sudser. According to the actress:
I am indeed renewing my contract at Y&R. The show has been very accommodating to me during this move to Oregon and I love them for it!
Then in April 2012 JFP TOLD TV GUIDE
I have already talked with Jess Walton. She has agreed to come back, though not on a full-time basis. She says she'll return if the right story is there, and we want to make that happen.
- Jacklyn Zeman’s Bombshell 'GH' Interview!
Five years after being taken off contract and placed on recurring status, Jacklyn Zeman (ex-Bobbie Spencer, “General Hospital”) has opened up to Soap Opera Digest in its newest issue about the circumstances surrounding her unexpected departure from the ABC daytime drama series.
“It was like a grieving process when I left the show because it was such a part of my life for so many years. I mean, I played Bobbie for over 30 years, pretty much five days a week. So when Jill Phelps [former executive producer, now EP of 'Y&R'] decided to get rid of the character, I was one totally unprepared and two, totally shocked, because I just assumed that Bobbie would always be there. I had this commitment to the network and I felt that the commitment worked both ways,” reveals Zeman.
The actress later adds, “It was like the death of Bobbie in my heart and soul, and the death of my livelihood and my work and my ‘GH” family, the fans as well as the people who worked on the set. All of that was all of a sudden gone, like, overnight. One day I was there and then it was like, ‘Merry Christmas, you’re fired,’ and an intern came down and handed me all my stuff. I have incredibly wonderful feelings about the time that I spent there and the people who I worked with over the years, but in going, I’ve also learned, like, some people who I thought were my friends, who I worked with very closely, I never heard from again. They were here today, gone tomorrow. So my real friends like Kin [Shriner, ex-Scotty Baldwin], Lynn [Herring, ex-Lucy Coe] and Kristina [Wagner, ex-Felicia Jones], who do still call, are really important to me. I’ve learned that is really what matters in life, that connection you have to people.”
In addition to revealing what went down all those years ago, Zeman also says that she has had recent conversations with the show about the possibility of a return.”I have talked to Frank Valentini, the new executive producer, because when he first came on the show, [Manager] Michael Bruno went to see him and said, ‘Oh, Jackie’s in the breakdowns.’ I said, I haven’t worked there in a year. That’s great, but nobody’s called me to see if I’m available,” said Zeman.
Unfortunately, due to scheduling fans won’t be seeing Bobbie back on the canvas anytime soon. Zeman says she’s currently traveling for the next couple of months, but Valentini is quoted by Zeman as saying, “We’re ahead, so I could give you plenty of notice.” The actress then says, “He did, at one point, call just to say that he had a meeting and he didn’t have the budget he thought he was going to have. So I don’t know.”
- Welcome to the world of PR.
Maria told the press what she wanted them to hear and Walton played along for the sake of her fans claimed she was only taking a break. But everyone at Y&R knew MAB didn't care if she was back, and said so to the press, including Jeanne Cooper. It's been open knowledge among the cast, the media and fans for months. Maria wasn't using her, didn't care.
JFP made the point of calling her and asking her to come back in even though she is now semi retired and sick of Bell's shit.
- R135 JFP PR person.
- No, I hate JFP. She's a vile cunt and has been since Guiding Light. But she is also not Maria Arena Bell, who the Y&R cast is celebrating the departure of.
- [quote] the Y&R cast is celebrating the departure
Along with their pink slips.
- Damn! This Jill Farren Phelps sounds like a real CeeUNextTuesday! It's a wonder someone hasn't hauled off and slap the shit out of her.
- I liked working with JFP. She was a professional who didn't suffer fools.
- Thanks for your input, Kevin McClatchey. Table 9 needs a water refill!
- r140=Timothy Gibbs
- [quote]There was even a bi in the soap magazines at the time about a pregnant female actress who refused to kiss her co-star because she was afraid of catching germs.
I'd always understood that blind item referred to Edge of Night's Sharon Gabet.
- I love that Jackie Zeman outed the rest of her castmates as being fairweather friends who dropped her as soon as she got fired. Maybe they'll bring back Bitchy Bobbie of the 80s to cause some real trouble.
- That quote about her castmates dropping her was pretty pathetic if you ask me, R144.
JFP has mean eyes and a pointy, threatening face. I totally buy that she's an uberbitch. Which would be fine, if the shows she runs didn't keep getting cancelled.
- Gabet talked about Dennis Parker. He developed full-blown AIDS during the beginning of the AIDS epidemic. She said he was coughing up a lung every day and she refused to kiss him. It's funny...everyone made a big deal about the Linda Evans/Rock Hudson kiss in 84, but there were several actors, notably on Edge, Days and AW, who were most likely poz when AIDS first crept on the scene and who had numerous kissing scenes with other actresses.
- I agree r140. I worked with her at Guiding Light. She was one of the best people I have ever worked for. She detests foolishness.
- She apparently detests talent, history, and good story-telling as well, given her past experiences in daytime.
- R146 it wasn't that Gabet refused to kiss Parker, she refused to even be in the same room with him. Do any scenes with him.
That BI might also be about Tracey Bregman. At the time she was working with Grant Cramer, and she refused to do any kissing scenes with him.
- JFP in Guiding Light was good? Are you talking about the same cuntrag who killed off Maureen Bauer and DESTROYED GL?! Let's be for real here. That bitch has fucked up every soap she's had a hand in. Let's see her destroy Y&R.
- Though she claims it wasn't her decision, she killed off Frankie Frame on AW. I remember reading an interview with her saying that this would free up Cass for new romances. Which then, she promptly did nothing with Stephen Schnetzer. He had no new romances till the last year of the show with Lisa Peluso.
- Jill Farren Fuck Up hates women. She killed off Maureen (the matriarch) of a show. Guess the actress was too old. Apparently the stupid heiffer didn't realize that killing the heart of a show would destroy it.
JFP also killed Frankie Frame in the most gruesome way. I still remember that b/c I was a fan of AW also. She got rid of half the cast of Santa Barbara including Lane Davis, Louise Sorel, Justin Deas, etc. Not surprisingly the ratings went to shit during her tenure and oopsy the show was killed. Then Jill Farren Fuck Up killed OLTL's Bo's son Drew. A story that screwed Bo's character. Of course at the same time Jill hired her fuck buddy to play Sam Rappaport and created a whole family for him making sure the main characters of OLTL pimped him.
THEN she went to GH and DECIMINATED the Quartermaine family. Under her guidance and leadership they killed the last major family on GH (Alan, Emily, AJ, Justus, etc) while she propped Jason and Sonny. That idiot has messed up royally at every juncture. Wonder when Kale, Steve Burton and Timothy will show up to Y&R.
- Thanks for the information R107. I didn't know that.
I agree with what you said about JFP R152, except the GH part. JFP seemed like a figure head more than anything else on that show. I think Guza and Frons were the ones running things. But yea, bottom line is she has a failing track record. I agreed that the MAB firing was WAY overdue but how in the world could anyone think hiring JFP would be a good thing?
- So, JFP has let Marcy and Genie go already.
Anyone else ?
- R154, I believe Debbie Morgan has been let go as well.
- [quote] Are you talking about the same cuntrag who killed off Maureen Bauer and DESTROYED GL?!
Ironically that storyline won Ellen Parker an Emmy and James Reilly (Passions) his first and only Emmy for writing.
R151 that was actually Margaret DePriest who said that
- Y&R is definitely entering a new phase. Before they would never actually fire anyone. They would place an actor on 'recurring' status.
And then never call them again.
- Fairweather friends? Isn't it just as likely none of these GH actors recognize Jackie Zeman after her 24th face lift?
- John Ingle appears as the priest in the final scene of "Death Becomes Her".
- I don't want to give JFP a pass on anything, because she truly did fuck up GL.
But a week or so ago, NLG was bitching about Guza on Twitter when someone asked her why she never bitched about JFP. And her response was something along the lines of "JFP doesn't deserve it, and the reason why is a very long story."
I realize that NLG is technically a FOJ from SB, but maybe she really was curtailed at GH and not all of the hideousness was done by her hand.
- I' want to see Laura return with Scotty.
- [quote]it wasn't that Gabet refused to kiss Parker, she refused to even be in the same room with him. Do any scenes with him.
A People magazine article from 1985 or so said Gabet became concerned after Parker's off-screen partner died of AIDS.
- I agree with the previous poster who said that Jackie Zeman's quote about her fairweather friends from GH was pathetic. I could understand it if she was a naive ingenue. But a woman well into her 50s? Come on.
I'm sure she was speaking about Geary.
Still, I'd love to see her back on GH. Bobbie is one of my all-time favorite characters.
- Sorry r160 but, no matter what NLG has to say, there is too much evidence and history of JFP ruining other shows to say she is completely innocent.
- [quote] She got rid of half the cast of Santa Barbara including Lane Davis, Louise Sorel, Justin Deas, etc.
I'm not a fan of JFP, but if you are going to slam her get your facts straight.
Lane Davies and Justin Deas left on their own accord.
Louise Sorel was battling the Dobsons, and was turfed out by them.
- I boned two Edward Quartermaine's in my day. They really knew how to get my motorized wheelchair burnin'.
I don't believe she was talking about Geary.
They are extremely close. They even call themsleves bro/sis. It is rumored that her salary the last year or two she was on came out of TG's salary. He was adamant that JZ stay on and he offered this to help.
- I want Kin Shriner back, and Scotty and Luke to hook up.
- Actually, on second thought, maybe Kin can come back with Steve Bond and do a Scotty-Jimmy Lee love story.
- Well if she wasn't referring to Geary r167 I don't know who that was directed to because most of her other co-stars aren't even on the show anymore.
- I have watched GH for over 30 years and agree it hasn't been this good in a long time. I have mostly enjoyed the OLTL crossovers with one exception. I do not need to hear Starr singing. Ever. And worse yet, Blair. Blair has a decent voice...but the material? Thank God they are both too old for a prom musical.
- Let's have an honest discussion shall we on Jill's alleged crimes.
Jill was behind the death of Maureen Bauer, she thought the show needed an emotional jolt. It was a misfired. She admits that.
Maggie DePriest killed Frankie Frame with PGs backing.
ABC/Frons instructed Guza to get rid of the Quartermaines and JZ in story and Jill had to deliver the news to the actors. It didn't help what LC and JZ did to their faces, but that is for another post. The reason for getting rid of the Qs was to provide story for Jason and to unencumber him from that connection.
You can blame Jill for a lot of things, but blame her for that which she is responsible.
- Jill is the executive producer. The buck stops with her. She gets a pass on ruining/killing four soaps. Boo hoo other people were writing or Frons was a big baby. BULLSHIT. She's the executive producer, what happens to the characters is on her ultimately.
FV had to work under Frons conditions and so did a lot of other writers and producers and they somehow manage not to decimate all the families. AND they had less power than Guza and not given free rein like GH was given. JFP's job was to handle Guza just like FV handles RC.
Whenever RC gets interviewed he talks about story he thinks of and how FV puts the rein on his ass. FV did it at OLTL while Frons was breathing down their neck (see Kish) while golden boy Guza was given freedom that JFP was SUPPOSED to manage. What the hell is her purpose if she couldn't point out how it was STUPID to kill off the only family standing on GH? Same shit with AW, her ass could have saved Frankie Frame. Bitch don't get money to sit on her hands. She's well known for fucking over female stars and getting rid of the veterans in the cast. Same thing she did at GH. It was her watch, it ultimately her fault.
- You really have no clue r173.
- R174, So the only way to 'kill' off Frankie Frame was the way they choose? A way to offend the fans and make it impossible for her return. One of the most offensive ways to treat a heroine of the show? Characters can't be written out temporarily while shit is going down? Poor Jill is only an innocent victim. I'm sure.
The point is that an executive producer like Jill is supposed to have some sense. Even executive producers with little power have enough sense to 'kill off characters' or get them written out in ways that don't piss off a fanbase or make it impossible for returns. FV was able to save money and work under the constraints of Frons and everyone else, I doubt JFP was only a figure head who couldn't do a thing to change the course of what happened to characters.
Phelps didn't like how things went with Bev McK so Alexandra went. Eden needed to be raped by her GYN under Jill's watch. Frankie Frame needed to be stalked and killed in front of her fans in a gruesome manner. The Quartermaines had to be killed off b/c no one leaves town, no one goes missing or presummed dead. Female characters have to be treated like shit b/c JFP had no control over what was done to female characters on her watch. Yeah, I had no idea that the exec producer had no power on those matters. Be for real.
- R175 = hysterical soap frau who doesn't understand anything about the entertainment business.
- [quote]Same shit with AW, her ass could have saved Frankie Frame.
Yeah, she could have saved Frankie Frame, but then, the fabulous Donna Love would have been the last victim of the serial killer. Robert Kelker-Kelly was coming on the show at the time, and JFP was ordered to free up a mid-level actor's salary to help pay for him. NBC gave her the choice of Alice Barrett or Anna Stuart.
[quote]So the only way to 'kill' off Frankie Frame was the way they choose? A way to offend the fans and make it impossible for her return. One of the most offensive ways to treat a heroine of the show? Characters can't be written out temporarily while shit is going down? Poor Jill is only an innocent victim. I'm sure.
After the negative fan response to the firing of Barrett, JFP tried to convince Margaret DePriset not to kill Frankie on-screen and have her presumed dead, so the door could be open for her possible return one day. DePriest refused, and by that point, JFP had no power at AW and was on her way out (by the time that infamous episode actually aired, JFP had been replaced with Charlotte Savitz, an NBC suit).
- That's the point, the FF death was for cost cutting. They used that money to pay RKK for an inane dual role that went nowhere. No way did Frankie need to be killed off how she had been. She could have been missing, pressumed dead, etc. Jill tries to pass the buck on that one to DePriest but it's not very genuine given what we've seen her do throughout all her tenures when it comes to female characters.
Look at what happened with that whole Robin's HIV blood used by Lisa. The Bev McK thing, the Eden rape, etc. All those things Jill approves which screw things up for the show. Anyone with common sense would know it's going to produce negative publicity and feelings amongst the watchers. Hell, they barely used Anna Lee. They didn't need to fire her given how money flowed to certain actors and the writer on that show. Mistakes and screw ups everywhere.
- DePriest tried to pass the buck on to the director as I recall. And in one of the soap rags, the director said something like "We made it the way Maggie wrote it."
- Let's not forget JFP FIRED Laura Koffman (Cassie OLTL) while she was on Maternity Leave.
- Susan Pratt (ex-Annie Logan) is now selling real estate in Westchester County. So she's just a short drive from Port Charles.
- Executive Producers don't approve story. The network does. This is why I love it when clueless soap watchers always blame the wrong people.
- r182, what then do you thinks Executive Producers do? Why is it then, that whenever a new Executive Producer is hired, a slew of hirings, firings, and new stories are created. There are no hirings and firings when new headwriters take over, only when EP's do. As someone who has watched soaps since the mid-70's, I'm well aware of the power of the EP.
- And she planned to blow up the hospital on GH as part of her Stavros Cassadine resurrection story. It was only because of 9/11 that ABC refused to let her do it.
Much like burning down the lighthouse on GL.
The Voice of the Night
- R183, I mostly agree with you but you can't discount increased network intervention over the years.
The networks have always had their taboos and sacred cows, but the lists of each got longer as time went on. Any soap EP would have jumped at the chance to do more gay storylines. That's only one example of what the networks squelched.
- Honey, we all know about network interference. It's been happening since Irna Phillips time. We all know that in the past decade the purse strings got tighter and the suits wanted more control. STILL, the EP has say on story, firings and hirings. When an EP is known to have her favorites kept around safetly, known to fire the actresses first and coddle her male actors giving them what they want. When an EP is known to allow misogynist storytelling, dismantling families, getting rid of veterans and bringing in newbies she likes, well then it's pretty obvious that the EP has a hand in the screw ups that happen on her watch.
We know Jill likes to pass the buck but we've seen enough to know her MO. Hell, the first four actors gone on Y&R are women while the 2 men leaving are doing it on their own volition. We know this heiffer will bring on at least one or two of her male favorites while spouting that she is cutting cost by firing the ladies and the people who've worked on Y&R the longest (is Mrs. Chancellor on life support yet?).
Just like we KNOW how Gary Tomlin has his people thus Chloe is returning on Days while Jack is gone. We also see this because Rafe and Daniel are getting more story while the others are losing story. We saw this on GH where it became the mob show and now FV is making it an ensemble. We saw Kimberly Mc say she was quitting and Frank convincing her of returning at some point thus Robin was saved. Frank gets 10 cents to work with and he brings back change. JFP cant bring in the show at the cost expected so then the veterans have to be killed off so that her three favorites get extra story.
EP's have a job to do and story approval is one of them. Sure they have to make get suit approval and suits have more power now but it's not like the EP's hands are tied, they can actually work it out in ways that the female characters and vets aren't destroyed or killed off permenantly.
It's possible Sony is just bringing her to dismantle Y&R like she's done with all her other shows. Or maybe they think she could stop the ratings loss and have her get rid of the expensive oldies. At least they didn't bring on Chris Goutman who has even less vision and talent than Jill.
- [quote] Honey, we all know about network interference. It's been happening since Irna Phillips time.
Not with Bill Bell shows. He had an iron-clad contract with CBS that gave him complete creative control. Instead of having storylines approved by the network, he would go to the network and inform them what was coming up.
In the 80s and well into the early 90s, Agnes Nixon had the same creative control with AMC, and Douglas Marland at ATWT. Gloria Monty to a certain extent at GH.
It was only when OJ hit the scene and ratings started going down that network panic and started sticking their nose into the day to day running of the show.
But even then Bill Bell had total creative control well into 2000, until he was forced to step down.
- Oh poor sweet dear angry R186.
Here is a soap lesson for you.
The headwriter writes the long story who submits it to the EP. The EP offers notes and suggestions usually in the framework of how it will look and how much it will cost. The EP submits it to the network who approves it or disapproves it.
When Jill was at GH, she was not the go between between Guza and the network. Guza sent all story directly to Frons.
The network has the final say on all storylines. Do you really think the two gay men who were in charge at OLTL would have just so unceremoniously pulled the plug on their gay story? Really?
- R188, you forgot to tell us how Jill had no say in the other stories particularly the Frankie Frame story (along with Eden, Maureen, Alexandra Spaulding, etc). In GH we know Guza was a dick, we know Frons and the network had final say, we also know that JFP was executive producer. So I guess she sat her ass down and did nothing in terms of looking at story, making recommendations. Poor Jill, completely powerless.
BTW we know Frons was the one who got rid of Kish. We also know that at least FV/RC didn't kill off Kish and instead left them to 'live happily ever after in Llanview with child' unseen. Notice how the Kish thing pissed off the fans but FV could have really fucked it up if he had allowed RC to write something stupid. Notice the difference between having to deal with heavy network interference and being able to naviagate it without destorying character and doing what JFP does? BTW honey, I'm not angry. You seem to be the one invested in telling us that Jill was victimized and had no say in much of what she did throughout her career at NBC and ABC soaps.
- Ellen Parker Testifies In Intruder Trial
Actress Ellen Parker took the stand at a court in New York on Thursday to recount the terrifying night she woke up to see a man climbing in through her apartment window.
The former Guiding Light star, 62, told Manhattan Supreme Court she was in bed on the night of 25 August last year when she heard noises in her room.
She then saw an intruder grab a jewellery box from her dressing table before climbing out through the window.
William Pelzer, who is in his 40s, is on trial accused of the break-in and Parker allegedly picked him out of a photo line-up, according to the New York Post.
The defendant's lawyer, Kevin Canfield, said, "There are no fingerprints or DNA evidence linking him to the break-in." »
- Didn't I just read an interview with JFP from a few weeks ago saying she doesn't know where the rumors started of her and Genie F. not getting along? And how she couldnt wait to work with Genie? Does anyone else remember - or maybe I'm thinking of an interview with Genie?
I need a vacation; my brain is mush.
- R191, I have no idea of what's actually gone or is going down between JFP and GF, but without question the Genevieve character is a total flop that needed to be cut. So, it's not certain that this firing is personal. The last one at GH (from what I've read) seemed a bit more...pointed.
- R191 - yes, there was a recent interview with JFP who said all is fine between her and Genie, that they sat down and talked (or talked on the phone) and all was cool -- maybe that was the conversation that ended with letting her know she was being let go!
The thing that disturbs me about JFP is that two things are consistent with her - #1, she will do something to totally screw with the core of the show. It's inevitable. She always feels she has to come in with her new writer and make major changes.
And #2, the women are going to get treated worse than the men. How many females has she deemed 'not needed' already? And that's her thing - men are treated differently on her shows than women. Women ARE appendages, women play secondary roles to the men and therefore, are more expendable.
I'm not saying the changes aren't needed because Y&R has a bloated cast, BUT I find it expected that she's going about trimming the way she is because it absolutely plays to her established behavior - which is concerning. Are these moves needed moves a sign that she is going to do a good job, or do these needed moves just happen to line up with JFP's basic behavior of rocking a cast and chucking the women?
- FV just tweeted that John Ingle has died. Very sad.
I guess that Edward Quartermaine will die off-screen from a heart attack around the holidays?
- Aw, hell. Very sad to hear this. He was a great old coot.
RIP, Mr. Q.
- Very sad to hear this. Ditto. But I'm not surprised based on how frail he looked last week when he appeared on GH for the last time. But I'm glad he got to appear on GH again before the end.
He was wonderful as Edward, a great successor to the late David Lewis, the original portrayer of Edward Q.
I guess the show will be rounding up what's left of the Qs (who weren't killed off) to give Edward an on-screen funeral.
- They should recast. I would recommend Quinn Redeker who would be excellent against Jane Elliot or Lee Majors.
- Nice article here about his appearance at GH and statement from his family about his passing
- Wow. This thread really foreshadowed his death.
- Jack Manning is growing up!
- Holy shit!
GH just signed Sean Kanan back to a contract.
- Sean coming back is something to celebrate. He is just in time to kick Steve Burton's ass right out the door.
- I loved Sean Kanan's AJ. Billy Warlock may be a bette actor, but Kanan is a lot sexier. He and Burton really looked like brothers.
- Sean Kanan???? He was just on B&B today. I guess that is short term.
- I thought he was older than 84.
- They're not saying who he's playing - it must be A.J. - but he is apparently on THE DAY after Burton's last airdate.
- John Ingle taught many celebs acting . Richard Dreyfus said he based his character in Mr Holland's Opus on Ingle.
- Is he legal yet R202. I remember there was a countdown.
- John Ingle's best scene as Edward - ever. R.I.P:
- Thank you for that, R211. Somehow I missed it, or don't remember it, the first time around.
- The actor playing Steven Lars... isn't he just a wee bit too tan?
- Somebody calls this "sexy"?
- R214, he hasn't aged well. Kanan has allegedly had substance abuse issues, but he was hot back in the day. Warlock looks better now though. Looking back I saw that I used "is." Let me see if I can find some photos.
- Wow, sad but expected regarding John Ingle passing. His last scene on GH made me so teary. I remember when he took over for David Lewis who I grew up watching. Great actor and well respected teacher.
Sad news with fantastic news regarding AJ COMING BACK! Hello, Sean Kanan has to be playing AJ. OMG did I love GH way back when he was playing the role. Jason and AJ were so different. AJ was such a great fuck up. So glad he's returning as AJ even though I love Billy Warlock but SK is my AJ and he fits better. Now they need to bring back Alan. The Quartermaine's need a patriarch.
- R216 gets it. SK was the better AJ. He did the "great fuck up" better than BW. I never bought BW as AJ. Maybe because I thought of him as Frankie on [italic]Days[/italic].
I miss quiet, bookish, kinda nerdy Jason and wished they would have at least considered bringing him back and having him trying to reconcile going from being a med student to a mob enforcer. Eh. I don't Burton could have done that anyway. Way too much to ask. Good riddance to Jason.
- Jason and Keesha was my favorite couple.
- Fuck AJ! They need to bring back Sky...
- If they had Drew Garrett still playing Michael, his scenes with daddy AJ would be off the chain. If only DG were asked back. Oh well, at least we got the real AJ Quartermaine.
BTW, love his comment about FV giving him a contract and telling him it's long term story he's playing.
- What is wrong with Chad Duell. He's hot. Drew Garrett looked like a bird. I heard that is why he was fired.
- What if he's coming back to play Jason Morgan? He shows up the day after Steve Burton last scene.
- I've wanted AJ back for years. I wish it was BW coming back though.
BW can act rings around SK.
- They'll need to bring a few Q's back to say goodbye to Edward so I'm sure Skye is on the shortlist. Wouldn't it be wild if they brought Jimmy Lee back too?
- [quote]men are treated differently on her shows than women. Women ARE appendages, women play secondary roles to the men and therefore, are more expendable.
Honey, welcome to Hollywood!
- Chad Duell looks like a deer in front of head lights. Drew Garrett can act and has crazy amount of range. He could have played a SORAS'd version of Jack Manning and been fire in scenes with Roger Howarth. He's like a young Jonathan Jackson. Great little younger actor who does amazing work especially with the elder statesmen. We have Trey and Johnny thus a pretty bland kid like Chad Duell isn't needed.
SK isn't playing Jason. Jamey Giddens had been dropping hints of SK returning and he knows it's not as a Jason recast. Steve Burton was told that if he decided to come back the door was open so they didn't give a contract to some actor to play the role when Steve might change his mind 6 months down the road like he did before.
I hope they bring back Ned, Skye, Dillon, Brenda, and Lucy Coe back for the funeral. Wally Kurth is recurring on Days so he could do it.
- Isn't that Jamey Giddens guy a paid shill for ABC daytime?
- Genie & Jonathan Frakes vacationed with Tony in Amsterdam a couple of years ago. I think they stayed with him. Do people really think they don't get along?
- R199, are you kidding? Recast? Edward has been an old coot since 1980. I think it's time for the character to be put to bed.
- No recast for Edward please. In reality, John Ingle was younger than Edward Q. would have been anyway. Both he and Lila would be in their 90s by now and characters have to die sometime. I don't see the show striking gold three times in a row.
- JFP Bloodbath continues. Jennifer Landon, who barely started has now been let go as Heather.
- it was just too soon :(
- I know Michael is A J's son but how did he become Sonny's?
- No way they will recast. The show has had little use for Edward in recent years. They were just keeping him around until JI passed or retired.
- Jamey Giddens is a 600 pound blogger who fancies himself "the press".
- I'll miss Edward. He was alot of the heart of the show. Hope Skye returns soon.
- I hope they get Jane Eliot or Leslie Charleson into the studio to tape a dedication for him before today's episode.
Ideally, it should be Stuart Damon, but who knows if he'd even do it at this point.
In all seriousness, there can't be many harder jobs for an actor than being asked to step into a role that another actor made iconic. John Ingle did it, and made it look easy.
The Voice of the Night
- It's also kind of beautiful that Tracy's comment about how Edward would now be reunited with the woman he loved could apply to John as well.
Damn it, why do I still have such a strong emotional connection to this show?
The Voice of the Night
- Stuart Damon was rumored to be making a return as Alan, alive and well.
If AJ is coming back I think they'll do it with Alan too.
- FV and RC explicitly wrote in that Edward episode last week with him and Emma and the antidote to try and give John Ingle a potential good sendoff for himself and Edward. They had planned to use him more this past spring and summer but couldn't due to his condition.
They knew months ago he probably did not have long and wrote and shot that sequence in a hurry at the end of August. I think it was a brilliant, beautiful gesture, and it meant a lot to Ingle, who said he wanted to 'beat' his illness long enough to do one more episode of GH.
- Oooh! More on this 600 pound "journalist" Jamey Giddens.
- Has FV gotten GH's budget under control? Because from the episodes I've watched, it looks like a million bucks.
No using Ellen Wheeler's office as like, twelve different locations here.
The Voice of the Night
- Looks like Disney has given GH a few extra bucks for the recent shows. They needed the strongest lead-in for Katie Couric's new show.
Doesn't look like it's helping Katie, but GH is stronger than it has been in many years.
- R240 has it right. The new regime understands the audience and the history of the show. Edward's last appearance was unbelievably touching and well done. It's a moment that I will remember GH for.
If Frons and Guza was still there, Edward would have been brutally shot down by a bullet meant for Sonny or Jason.
- [quote]Stuart Damon was rumored to be making a return as Alan, alive and well.
Damon is reportedly having health issues of his own, due to diabetes.
- [quote]Damn it, why do I still have such a strong emotional connection to this show?
I'm not sure about your history with these shows Voice, but some of my earliest memories are of me sitting in the floor playing with OLTL, GH, and Edge of Night on while my mom folded laundry and cleaned house. I still have some very vivid memories of the shows from the early 80's. I guess thats why I have such an emotional connection to these shows. They've just always been around throughout my life. It really hurt my heart to lose OLTL. I know sounds ridiculous but it was almost like losing a family member. I had given up on GH years ago but came back earlier this year and have seen FV and RC really turn this ship around. I guess I'll hang with it until it goes too.
- GH was "my" show. I started watching it when I was about thirteen, because I got home from school earlier than my siblings, and there was something about it that caught my attention. The first story I really remember was Robert and Anna being "killed" while off on a mission for the WSB and Mac and Robin refusing to give up on them. I still have an incredible fondness for Kristna Wagner, because the first "must-see" story that I liked was her turning up on Port Charles with amnesia and her slow discovery of how evil Ryan Lavery was.
So, yeah, even though I loved OLTL and was very fond of AMC, GH was always my show.
But it's also a show I've barely watched in ten years, because I didn't recognize it anymore. But like Jason Thompson I broke down crying when Edward gave him a thumbs up, and then the next day when they had that wonderful montage of everybody (with the exception of Jason, naturally) celebrating being cured, it was almost like watching the show in the Labine/Riche days. Hell, I even enjoyed Sam and McBain, and I thought Hell would freeze over before that happened.
When OLTL was canceled, I figured that when they got around to finally killing off GH, I'd be relieved, but if they can keep up what I've seen in the last week, they might break my heart all over again.
The Voice of the Night
- And hey, at least the cure to Jerry's toxin wasn't MonaVie juice.
The Voice of the Night
- It seems everyone I know is watching this show again, word is spreading that it's back. My sister called me a few weeks ago, like me she hadn't been watching in years, and she wanted to know if I'd caught any of the virus story online (we sometimes watch show clips)....I hadn't but watched a couple of eps - now I'm hooked. It's like watching the "old GH" from the 80s again somehow. Never thought I'd see the end of "Sonny Hospital" but there it is.
Are the ratings still really that bad that they'd cancel GH outright? Won't they go up with the improved show? A lot of people like myself watch the show online, do we count in the ratings measurements?
- Also, what does the tattoo on Dante's chest say?
[quote]Are the ratings still really that bad that they'd cancel GH outright? Won't they go up with the improved show? A lot of people like myself watch the show online, do we count in the ratings measurements?
They want a strong lead-in for Katie Couric. Once it became clear that The Revolution was flopping, they decided to have GH stick around in the new timeslot (I think Katie lobbied for that as well, feeling even a weak soap was higher-quality than The Revolution).
OLTL outlasted AMC by six months because Frank Valentini has an amazing ability to bring the show in under budget. If they can make even modest gains in ratings while continuing to keep the show in the black, then Disney made a very wise decision.
I doubt the show is going to last much longer, but if they can keep it up, they may end up beating the Grim Reaper longer than DOOL.
The Voice of the Night
- The treatment of John Ingle was a complete 180 to how the prior regimes treated Stuart Damon, Jackie Zeman, Rachel Ames, Denise Alexander, etc.
That's wonderful to see. i don't know if any of the folks mentioned above are still well enough to perform, but it would sure be nice to see them back on screen, even if only for the occasional pop-in.
- R233, if I remember correctly (someone correct me if I'm wrong), but Carly had a one night stand with Sonny and got pregnant. AJ was forcing Carly to live with him, threatening to take Michael if she left. When Sonny found out Carly was pregnant with his child, there was no way he was going to let her stay with the Quartermaines, who he hated with a passion. He dug up dirt on AJ about a warehouse arson or something and blackmailed him into giving up his custodial rights. He ended up adopting Michael, but Carly ended up falling down the Quartermaine stairs after a confrontation with AJ that turned physical and lost Sonny's baby.
- I think Carly got pregnant with Michael by having a one night stand with a drunken AJ in blackout mode when she was pursuing Jason. She managed to pour him to her place from the alley he was passed out in. Don't remember if she was still with Tony or not who she had just stolen from Bobbie. Carly was a hateful bitch back in 1996.
- She was living with Tony, and she got knocked up after a drunken one-night-stand with AJ. She passed the baby off as Tony's at first, but then ended up fessing up, which was when Tony went off the deep end (this was during the storyline where Liz got raped and Tony was a suspect).
Anyway, after Michael was born, she had post-partem depression and couldn't pick him up, and that caused her to finally bond with Bobbie, who still didn't know who she really was. A whole bunch of characters were snowed in at the Port Charles Hotel, and the thing that finally pushed Carly over her depression was hearing Bobbie tell her about the one time she got to hold baby Carly before she was taken away. And that was when Carly started to forgive Bobbie and finally tries to tell her the truth...only to run into her adoptive mother, Virginia, at the hotel.
A drunken Tony took particular delight in taunting Virginia that the baby she'd been cooing over all evening was her grandson.
That was some of the best work Sarah Brown did. She got one of her Emmys for those scenes, and Jackie Zeman got her only nomination for lead actress as well.
I should see if they're on YouTube.
The Voice of the Night
- John had cancer. I'm not sure if that was what killed him.
in other news, Chad Duell (Michael) has married. (He doesn't look old enough to.)
- Did Y&R cut Debbi Morgan as well?
Let me tell you something about Deb Morgan. GH needs more diversity, and they could really use her. She could be Angie Hubbard, she could be Ellen Burgess (her character from Port Charles), she could be a recast for Simone Hardy, but if they keep focus on the hospital, they need more doctors than Patrick, Steven Lars, and the alien fetus that's impersonating Monica.
The Voice of the Night
- Debbi was let go, yes.
It wouldn't surprise me to see FV and RC put her on GH as Angie Hubbard since they're already merging OLTL into GH.
- Is the nurse wearing glasses a stalker? Is the female doctor new?
- R248 aka Voice, I like you even MORE now.
I loved Tracy's line in Edward's last episode where she said she tried to get him to take the antidote, but that Daddy was one step ahead of her as usual.
BRILLIANT throwback to the infamous pills scene that Tracy and Edward had back in ... '81?
- R258, they are both new. First time I've seen the female doctor was today, and the nurse has only been on one other time, maybe twice, helping Spinelli get baby Morgan's tissue sample records. No idea where they are going with either character yet.
- Thanks R260
- I just wanted to repost the message John Ingle's family sent out on 9/10, just before his final appearance onscreen:
"As our Dad moves closer and closer to joining our Mom, I thought I would share a bit of much needed “happiness” for the Ingle clan. For those of you that have followed Dad as “Edward Quartermaine” on General Hospital for all these years, I wanted to let you know that Dad was able to return to the set on August 24th, for what will undoubtedly be his last performance on the show. His scene was small and he had very few words…. but his presence on the set was monumental. Beginning with a standing ovation by the entire cast and crew as we entered the set, to the line of people waiting to hug and wish him well, it was a day that he (and we) will remember forever. Several months ago, Dad had said that ” if he only had one more day on the set of General Hospital, he would feel like he had won”….
On that Friday, with the help of one of his caregivers (Anthony), a wheelchair van and 2 of his daughters, (myself and Chrissy), that goal was realized. Entering the set of GH was emotional for Dad and it was obvious why he has loved being there all these years. Chrissy and I joked and said it was the ONLY “Hospital” we have enjoyed visiting since January! Ha! The filming did not take that long and Dad did a good job.
“The cast and crew were patient and worked with Dad to get a scene that was meaningful. Standing there watching the monitor, we were struck by the reality that it was not Edward Quartermaine who was on the set….it was Dad surrounded by people who love and care about him. It was truly a wonderful afternoon. None of us know what tomorrow holds, but today we will hang onto the memory of August 24th and the love and support that was shown for our Dad. For anyone who might want to see the show, it is being aired tomorrow (September 11th), on ABC at 1:00 p.m. (PST). This is a new time slot for GH, for those of you who watch the show. The producers said it was September 11th, but then we heard that it may be a two-part episode. Might want to set your tivos for both days just to be sure.
Last but not least,”Thank You” again to all of our family and friends for your love, prayers and support over these past few months. We truly CAN feel it:-)"
- What a lovely story.
See, those are the sorts of things GH used to do before JFP began her reign of terror.
And those are the kind of things that make me want to DVR the show every day for a long as it stays on the air.
The Voice of the Night
- I agree, Voice.
This is the nicest thing I've heard about in daytime in a while.
- Ok, what in the hell is up with Monica Quartermaine's face. Is it botched surgery? She is truly frightening!
- I agree. Actresses who fuck their faces up like that should not be on tv. Can't tptb see how damn distracting it is?
- Speaking of aging well, let's talk about Kristina Wagner. She was on last week as Felicia appears to have fully reconciled with Mac, and she looks like a million bucks.
Her storyline with Mac has been very much a background subplot since she returned around April, but the scenes they've had (which you can find on Youtube) are very sweet and thoughtful. I never found them too exciting together but I hated how she treated him in the late 90s when she started getting with Luke, and they are cute together. KW is more appealing and enjoyable to watch now than she has been since about 1995. It reminds me of how RC and FV took time to reunite Cord and Tina on OLTL last year, although their story had a significant amount of time devoted to it.
There was word RC had hoped to get Jack Wagner to reprise Frisco in the summer but couldn't reach a deal. I almost hope he never turns up because I really don't want Felicia to backslide and go back to him.
- R267 - Kristina is gorgeous, what is she now? 48? 49?
Jack Wagner was a fool to let Kristina go. She's gorgeous.
An example of Frons ageist stupidity was his calling her "matronly" a decade ago.
She's beautiful now but a decade ago she was gorgeous.
- [quote]Jack Wagner was a fool to let Kristina go. She's gorgeous.
I don't believe he "let" her go. I believe she got fed up with him fucking his way through the entire cast, male and female, of "Jekyll and Hyde."
The Voice of the Night
- [quote]Ok, what in the hell is up with Monica Quartermaine's face. Is it botched surgery? She is truly frightening!
Leslie Charleson is a woman in her late 60s who's trying to look like she's in her late 40s.
Contrast that with Nancy Lee Grahn, who is in her mid-50s, and tries to look like a good-looking woman in her mid-50s.
Leslie's just had way too much work done in a foolish attempt to stop being the show's new matron. I've come to the conclusion that the women who do best with plastic surgery are the women like Nancy, who know when to stop.
Although I can't decide where Jane Eliot falls on the continuum. I think she's held up pretty well, but her make-up guy must hate her.
Completely off the subject of surgery and Jack Wagner's roving penis, I have a question I've been meaning to ask: Years ago, the convention with the writers was that the writer who had written that episode's particular scenes was credited last. Is that still the case? I ask because, when I've seen an episode that I thought was really great (which are really the only times I've thought to pay attention to the credits), Elizabeth Korte's name has always been in the final position. I've always thought of her more as a cheerleader for Carly than a writer, but if she was actually the one responsible for the episodes where I noticed--Jerry's broadcast, and the story's climax and denouement--I clearly need to rethink that.
The Voice of the Night
- So Wagner was fucking others besides Colleen during JEKYLL & HYDE??
Bring On the Men!
- VOTN -- my understanding is the last two writers credited are the person who wrote that day's script and then the breakdown writer.
Breakdown writer is the person who does the outline for the script. Example -- three scenes for Act 1: Sonny giving Jason a blowjob, then Tracey telling Luke he's too much of a queen for her so they can't be together any more, then, McBain and Sam flirting, then commercial.
Script writer does the actual dialogue for those scenes.
Elizabeth Korte is GH's breakdown writer, so she always gets that final credit.
- I'm fairly sure that's not how they used to do it, but it's good to know.
Heather giving Jason Jr/Victor III a choice of Pigeon Hollow, Corinth, or Pine Valley was a moment of WIN and AWESOME!
She's such a delightful psychopath.
Although how in hell did McBain get from Port Charles to Llanview in like, fifteen minutes?
The Voice of the Night
- With Llanview back on the map, when will I be appearing?
- They'll have Viki when they can afford to pay Erika Slezak and can have her do more than just pop-in to say hello.
The Voice of the Night
- Frank/Ron: I can guarantee you all three of the Ford bros, both onscreen and, ahem, behind the scenes, if you bring me aboard. Call me!
- Erika had a facelift in April. I'm assuming everything is settled face wise, but she won't be able to appear until 2013 when the rights revert back to ABC. I do know that they have reached out to David Canary for something coming up with Tracey.
- Rumors have been circling for awhile that they wanted Erika to appear as part of Kate's DID story.
Viki's name was all over the story in the spring and early summer - Starr and Todd constantly referenced her, Kate read an expose about Viki and Jessica we saw onscreen and the whole "Victoria Lord case" came up a lot. Todd told Kate that unlike Viki, Kate had no control over her illness.
- Is Kimberly/Robin coming back? I'm not crazy about either of the new girls for Patrick.
- Didn't Canary officially retire from acting,r278? Have they lured him back with the potential of a great storyline? GH vets must be fuming at this OLTL/AMC/GH hybrid...!
Tell me more about the plans for David Canary and Jane Elliott.
They would be great in a storyline.
- Geary has said he loves the hybrid and that he had been trying to get ABC to do something like this for the longest time, way before the other shows were canned.
- I didn't realize NLG is in her mid-50s. I thought she was about 10 years younger. Regardless of what age she is, she looks great.
- It's worth mentioning that Frank V is also the man who produced and directed the "what if" webisodes a couple years ago where various ABC soap characters met up. Viki and Luke, Tad and Blair, Victor Jr. and Spinelli, Sonny and Erica, Ryan and Carly, Jason and Greenlee, Tess and Dante, Angie and Jesse and Starr, Maxie and Rex and...McBain and Sam.
I think he may have had a germ of an idea of this hybrid plan in his head a while ago. I know he did pitch a AMC/OLTL hybrid to ABC last year.
- I don't think Canary liked working in LA and the grind was starting to get to him at the end. I would not say he was looking sickly, but he was starting to show his age and look more frail. I suppose it did not help they paired him with a 30 year old. There had to be close to a forty year difference between Adam and Annie.
- All I can say is that it involves Sky and would be a limited run for Canary, nothing strenuous. Kimberly will return when it works with her schedule. GH vets are not fuming, there is an amazing energy on set now that wasn't there before. Also with Steve leaving there is a lot more money to play with for limited runs from past faves. Stay tuned.
- David Canary was one of the few actors who declined to go to LA when AMC was moved there.
He made a few appearances to wrap-up his storyline, and did a few at the series finale.
- Would be a fun idea to bring James Mitchell onto GH to be paired with Jane Elliot, since they worked together in the mid 80s when she played Cynthia. I hadn't seen AMC in ages before it was cancelled, but I recall them having great chemistry. Would also be fun to see scenes with Geary and Mitchell. C'mon GH, make it happen.
- I never really watched GH, so maybe it was worth making Skye a member of the Q family, but I always thought it was too bad they cut her ties with Adam. Skye and Adam had an interesting disfunctional dynamic, and they did not seem to go for the easy answers or resolutions to their issues. All My Children could have used a strong character in Skye's age range the last few years.
- JFP and Robin Christopher basically used GH as an ATM for the last ten years. Guza had no use for her and I don't think she really belonged on the show, though she did have chemistry with Ingo. Either Phelps or Chrisropher admitted her last two summer returns were concocted to ensure the actress's health insurance.
Nirvana, any news on the OLTLers, like Blair or Natalie?
- [quote]Would be a fun idea to bring James Mitchell onto GH to be paired with Jane Elliot, since they worked together in the mid 80s when she played Cynthia.
It would be a lot more fun if he was alive.
- They can't use 'Natalie' until the rights revert back.
- [quote]GH vets are not fuming, there is an amazing energy on set now that wasn't there before.
I can't be the only one who sees how much fun Jane Eliot, Robin Mattson, and Finola Hughes are clearly having.
Fin seems to be the only person happier than I am that Anna is Police Commissioner again.
The Voice of the Night
- Voice would appreciate this: Olivia's LSD trip and Anna punching Heather out. They promoted this and it was the first time in a generation that Sonny and Jason did not save the day, but the cops and a woman did.
- These scenes did not get aired in certain areas for some reason. Anna interrogates Heather and does not respond well to her Robin gambit. "You don't know anything about me." BADASS
- I am beyond thilled that Burton is soon to be gone.
Hate his character and Sonny's.
- Steve is gone soon too. Last airdate late October. The next day is apparently Sean Kanan's first airdate as AJ. I still can't believe AJ is really coming back.
I wish they would give us a return airdate for Blair, since we know she is coming. Her appearances in July were wonderful.
- Robin Christopher - the Garbo of daytime.
- Agnes and Lorraine Broderick came back in at the end of AMC and reunited Adam and Brooke in a 6 week storyline to write him out. The couple also returned together at the end of the show, happy together. That was lovely.
- What is happening with the SoapNet cable channel?
What I mean is, what happened to it being turned into another station for Disney kids programming? Around the time that the AMC and OLTL cancellation announcements were made, I remember also hearing that SoapNet would be changed around the time those shows went off the air.
Well that was many months ago and SoapNet is still kicking. Did they change their minds?
- [quote]Voice would appreciate this: Olivia's LSD trip and Anna punching Heather out. They promoted this and it was the first time in a generation that Sonny and Jason did not save the day, but the cops and a woman did.
Yes, I do appreciate it. That was awesome. Thanks!
[quote]These scenes did not get aired in certain areas for some reason. Anna interrogates Heather and does not respond well to her Robin gambit. "You don't know anything about me." BADASS
Badass is the correct word for it.
That helped me realize something else, that I think I'd noticed, but I hadn't put words too. All of the female characters are being written with so much more respect than I remember them getting under Phelps/Guza. Most of them aren't propping up Sonny and Jason, and even those that are have their own things going. I mean, I'd much rather be playing Connie's nuttiness than being yet another Corinthos mol. And Kelly Monaco seems a lot lighter in her scenes with Michael Easton; I guess they must have gotten along back in their PC days. Hell, I really liked Kelly Monaco when she was on PC, and with her away from Jason, I can almost remember why.
The Voice of the Night
- Let's not overpraise the writing r303. It's still extremely predictable and plot driven.
- And they're still treating the characters with more respect than most of them have gotten in a decade.
I'm happy. I haven't reached for the fast-forward once.
The Voice of the Night
- I'm happy for you, VOTN. I've turned off GH and deprogrammed it from my Tivo. I doubt I ever turn it on again.
- Well, r306, why don't you now hold your breath till they return GH to the old boring ways and let us know how that works out for you.
- r302, they are rolling out the Disney Jr. channel area by area. Soapnet went off my cable channel back in April.
- How would I know, R276. I won't be watching.
I already said I deprogrammed my Tivo rather than wear out the fast forward button.
The best way to watch GH is selected clips on YT.
- Thanks for the follow-up R308 I was hoping the news was that they'd decided not to kill the channel anymore.
That's interesting - I wonder why they didn't reboot the channel across the board all at the same time. In addition to doing it by area, I wonder if different cable companies are handling the conversion at different times.
Either way, I appreciate that I still have SoapNet, although there is nothing that I watch on it anymore. It's still fun to see old episode of AMC or OLTL in the early morning hours once in a while.
- Sabrina reprised by nobody you would ever want to see again.
- What the hell is going on with the whole Patrick storyline? Seems like they are far too cowardly to hook up Patrick and Maxie, which would make for some excellent scenes once Robin returns. This new girl might turn out to be Spinelli's long lost sister or something, stupid daydreams might run in that family.
- I think the new girl will end up being anna and dukes daughter. Somehow.
- Not to be mean,but the new girl could be any one of the girls playing Sonny's daughters...
- I would love Jennifer Landon as Serena Baldwin.
- I love the ideal of Debbie Morgan as Simone Hardy.
- Wow, those clips from GH..a woman being strong and saving the day for a man? When was the last time we ever saw that on a soap. It had the just the right bounce of camp....("What did I tell you about having people over when I'm not here!") and even the bad acting of the woman in the LSD trip thing was fun old time soap...(I like the black actress who can say so much with just a "What do you see baby?" and her eyes.)
I might turn GH on but Tony Geary is so queeny gross, why would that Anna woman want with him. She is bad ass and hot.
- One thing I never understood about ABC soaps the last ten years, at least AMC, is how the women devolved and got weaker. Soaps are mainly geared for women, but from the late 90's on, they got rid or minimilazed the strong women and they seemed to endure a lot of abuse from their love interest in order to prove they were worthy of him.
On AMC, Brooke disappeared, Greenlee went from being an updated version of a young Erica to only wanting to be Ryan' soulmate, and they erased any growth Erica had attained in the '90's. Instead of being a show that showcased its female leads (Brooke, Natalie, Erica in her own way ...), it turned into a show where it focused on Greenlee and Kendel trying to prove their worth to the often emotionally abusive Ryan and Zach.
Soaps had always been a little misognist, but ABC really ramped that up the last ten years, instead of going in the other direction.
- Brian Frons' brilliant idea was to try appealing to more men, which chased the traditional female audience away and hastened the genre's decline.
It also didn't help that the regimes in charge of General Hospital and All My Children for most of the time were fairly misogynist themselves. I think the nadir came when Bianca tearfully eulogized her rapist on AMC, but others might think that was Sonny smacking around Faith and calling her a whore in front of other mobsters.
OLTL, which was lead by gay men for a large chunk of that same time, faired a little better.
The Voice of the Night
Fraus need to exit. You are not wanted here.
- [quote]even the bad acting of the woman in the LSD trip thing was fun old time soap...(I like the black actress who can say so much with just a "What do you see baby?" and her eyes.)
I didn't really see Lisa Lo Cireco being "bad," but more that she'd made the choice to be over the top.
I agree with you that they used Epiphany really well. I'm glad they've found a place for her in their ensemble, even if it's only once in a while.
[quote]I might turn GH on but Tony Geary is so queeny gross, why would that Anna woman want with him. She is bad ass and hot.
They're on the outs, at least at the moment.
I kind of wish they'd hook her up with McBain. I like McBain and Sam, but I think I like the idea of McBain and Anna more.
The Voice of the Night
My Fraus need to exit should have been directed at R317
- Lisa Lo Cicero deserves a good pairing. Even she knows the one with leathery Scott Reeves is a dog. Steven Lars should've been recast long ago, but he got the job because he was Burton's buddy in Christ.
Olivia was hot with Johnny, but that's long over.
- GH, like most of Hollywood, is weird and creepy about women's ages. Lisa Lo Cicero is only 9 years older than Dominic Zamprogna but is playing his mother. Robin Mattson is only 10 years older than Scott Reeves but is playing his mother. Kelly Sullivan is 15 years younger than Maurice Benard but they're supposed to be the same age. Typical Hollywood, I guess.
- VOTN, maybe you can answer this-was there anyone in soaps besides Tracy on GH and Dorian on OLTL who did that Bette Davis in The Little Foxes thing of not giving someone their medication and staring them down as they struggled to stay alive?
- R325, not Voice here, but I recall Beverlee McKinsey in a scene with John Bolger on GL in 1985.
Phillip was keeling over because of arsenic poisoning from India's doctor's aphrodisiac and Alex kept him from calling for help until he forked over the tape that would clear Alex's son Lujack, who'd been imprisoned for murder.
Her line was like, "Not so fast Phillip! I want the tape first!" Bev was a tiny thing and Bolger was a big guy so it was interesting to see her put all her physicality into the gesture.
- [quote]VOTN, maybe you can answer this-was there anyone in soaps besides Tracy on GH and Dorian on OLTL who did that Bette Davis in The Little Foxes thing of not giving someone their medication and staring them down as they struggled to stay alive?
I don't have an encyclopedic knowledge of all soaps, but I do remember that Tony DiMera did something like that on DOOL.
The Voice of the Night
- Blair did it to Asa in the early 90's on OLTL.
- Are Morgan Corinthos and Jack Manning at the same military school?
The Voice of the Night
- How old is Andrew T. now?
- We all know Jack's gayby heart belonged to Shane Morasco.
- Yes, well, Shane is off in London probably finding himself a terribly cultured British boyfriend.
I say Jack is sneaking into Morgan's barracks after Taps for some lovin'.
I want Port Charles gays. I know ABC would never allow it, but I can still dream. I was sort of thinking that I'd want Lucas Jones to come back from medical school starting his residency at GH with a fiance in tow, and having Bobbie getting to be a mother-hen.
But, I can certainly see the appeal in Jack and Morgan having to tell their dads...
The Voice of the Night
- AT's twitter.
- It would not surprise me if FV and RC went there. Shane was intended to be gay before Frons clamped down on the bullying story last spring. Yet afterwards the Jack and Shane scenes only got more homo. Their clashes reminded me of the tortured relationships the youth set (Marty, Todd, Rebecca, Powell etcetera) used to have in the 1990s.
This scene with the sound off is peculiar.
- Love the new Maxie... much better than the other one. And she seems a better match for mentally challenged Spinelli.
- [R335] New Maxie is actually old Maxie. She just returned from a long leave of absence. She is much better suited to the idiot savant Spinelli; the last one came across as way too mature and grounded.
- 322 I am not a frau. I think your comment was because I said Geary is queeny and gross, which is he. But, he has always been that way, even as a kid I thought it was weird that he was with girls, and girls went nuts over him when it was obvious what he was. Sorry, and Ill exit when I feel like it, thanks!
- Any day Flo Lozano is on GH is a good day!
- r296, that’s exactly why I never wanted my beloved Finola Hughes to play Anna for an extended length of time under Bob Guza. She’s a modern day Emma Peel and he would’ve wrote her as dumb as Mac Scorpio in regards to dealing with Sonny and Jason. There’s no way you’ll get me to believe that Anna can’t take Sonny or Jason down if given the chance. ANNA DEVANE IS FIERCE!
- Tony Geary looks silly paired with women. At his age why not let him come out?
- R336 Old Maxie is actually New Maxie.
Because the role he plays is not gay.
Are you that dense?
I think he should come out in real life but the character he plays is straight.
- Is Spinelli down syndrome?
- Spinelli needs to go. He's so annoying and useless.
- Spinelli is GH's Marcie McBain. He was different and somewhat interesting in the beginning but he should have been written out a few years ago.
- All of you who keep harping about the heart pills thing with Edward, do know that he was FAKING the heart attack? It's a toss up to whether or not Tracy suspected or not-it would not have been the first time he tried a trick like that, according to future actions and the things his kids said.
- Spinelli is a collection of tics masquerading as a character.
The Voice of the Night
- I used to have a crush on Bradford Anderson.
I can't imagine why.
- The little girl who plays Emma is too cute. And I never think that about child actors.
The Voice of the Night
- The little girl who plays Emma has given GH the finger and is off doing primetime, baby!
- R346, I think anyone who watches the scene with Tracy and Edward and the pills and the will knows that Edward was faking and that Tracy was LYING THROUGH HER TEETH when she said she pretended to go along with it.
She valued money more than her father (and I suppose the principal of AJ not deserving the Q millions if he HAD been Rick Webber's child.)
Edward wouldn't tear up the will cutting her out; so she was going to let him die.
But Edward was one step ahead of her; the callback to that situation when Tracy said she tried to get Edward to take the antidote but he was 'always one step ahead' was BRILLIANT.
We oldies got it.
- There are strong indications Vanessa Marcel and Antonio Sabato Jr are back at GH.
- if there's one thing I wish Frank and Ron would fix it's the re-written history of Rick Webber.
He wasn't some icky pervert that Guza and company made him out to be.
- I noticed today that Roger no longer has his fake facial scar.
- R354, he had it last week.
- Did he? I sure didn't notice on yesterday's episode. Might have been the lighting. I find him incredibly hot.And I never did when he had that long hair years ago.
- Todd/RH is overrated in my opinion. I used to really like him but now he's a one noter baffoon.
- Sometimes the scar makeup is thicker than others. It was there yesterday, but it was very, very faint.
Sam and Elizabeth need to take turns kicking Carly in the vagina bone.
The Voice of the Night
- Word is Jack is back with Blair soon. I assume they'll recast.
- Started watching this after OLTL went off and Tea Delgodo came on to defend Starr. I have a question. Is Carly a likable character or not? More of a villian? I really can't tell other than she seems to have horrible taste in men. To me she seems like a Blair Cramer clone. Why is she so nasty to Sam and that nurse? Sorry, forgot her name.
Thanks in advance.
- R360, when Carly first came on GH, she had sex with Jason. She is still peeing on the floor around him to mark her territory and humping his leg. She accuses other women of treating him badly, but she had sex with his boss/best friend and his brother and at least one of his sworn enemies.
Carly came to Port Charles to get revenge on her hooker mother Bobbie because she gave her up for adoption to a family instead of raising her in a whorehouse. She has not gotten any brighter since then.
- OMG, you really need to check out the site Soap Opera Central and go to the General Hospital message boards. They are going berserk over Elizabeth Weber changing test results and threatening to boycott the show, calling Carlivati every name in the book and actually discussing how a soap should be written so that fans will be happy; I am still laughing. These cows are beyond help. I think Ron and Frank should go into hiding, I would not put it past one of these obsessed nutbars to hunt them down in the studio with a loaded pistol. I know a lot of fangirls are a little cray-cray but this bunch is a psychiatrist's boilerplate model of delusional. But I do love the way the differing fan/war bases fight with each other and get totally hysterical. LOL!
- Did they not see it coming?
The Voice of the Night
- At least with Sarah Brown (and to a lesser extent Tamara Braun), you could see that Carly would experience flashes of remorse. Laura Wright, who I used to like, at least back on The City, can't really pull that off, and seems to only play her as a sanctimonious bitch.
Also, I doubt Lulu is the member of the Spencer-Falconieri household that bodyguard Magic Milo has a crush on.
The Voice of the Night
- You nailed Carly better than Sonny did, Voice.
- It's all to no avail.I guess 'Elizabeth Weber' hasn't heard that 'Jason,' and black T shirted the non actor playing him, are outta there next month.
- R363, I guess you missed the Kelly Monaco fans saying they were bringing a class action lawsuit against Carlivati and Valentini for damaging them by not writing what they wanted to see? Now that was some drama. They also had a petition drive going recently to get them fired, but that may have sputtered out now that Burton has left.
Yesterday was Burton's last day of taping. Hopefully the fan wars will die out now.
- [quote]I think Ron and Frank should go into hiding, I would not put it past one of these obsessed nutbars to hunt them down in the studio with a loaded pistol.
ABC had to provide security for Rebecca Herbst and they also hired people to open her mail after her life and the lives of her children were threatened by Kelly Monaco's fans.
Ron and Frank must not care, because there are strong rumors they are going to bring Natalie the cud-chewing cow to GH. They already know the John and Natalie fanbase is vitriolic, and they're apparently going to pit them against the psychotic Monaco fanbase. I think someone will get hurt before it's over.
If they bring Natalie on, that's proof Ron and Frank enjoy the fanbase wars.
- Becky' husband on twitter is hinting that she may have a GH exit in her future.
- If indeed Sean is back as AJ I think that's fantastic; the Q's NEVER should have been gutted.
I'd bring Damon back too (It was Helena!) and have him on sporadically admonishing younger doctors for their maverick ways!
Bring Celia back, too.
- Milo is hot.
- R372, that's Drew Cheetwood. He's a personal trainer and at one time (don't know about now) he was training a number of GH actors in the backstage gym.
Drew, his brother Derk (Max on GH) and Steve Burton have moved on from the Monavie MLM scheme into their next MLM. They are now selling a drink called Visalus that they tout as being the cure to every problem known to mankind.
In their YT commercials, Burton claims it's responsible for his recent bulk, but that's doubtful. At least twice that I know of he has gone to Hawaii and worked with a personal trainer there. Both times he has come back with his face looking like a steroid mess and a body like the Incredible Hulk.
- [quote]Ron and Frank must not care, because there are strong rumors they are going to bring Natalie the cud-chewing cow to GH
- When is Big Steve's last airdate?
The Voice of the Night
- It was this past Thursday, VOTN.
- I cannot wait for him to leave.
- Sorry. I read his last [bold]airdate[/bold] is October 22.
- No, I'm assuming that was his last tape date. I'm just wondering how far in advance GH is taping these days.
The Voice of the Night
- Burton said somewhere around the last of October, but I read it's expected to be October 22.
- Christ, that block of wood can't leave soon enough. I can understand Geary being a big deal on the show in the Luke Spencer heyday - he had tons of charm, panache and a fun, spirited air about him; not to mention he is such a good actor. Burton I just don't get; he is coma-inducing on screen, does nothing but stare and threaten people and is in general, dull. I do not get it.
- Burton tweeted this good-bye photo to his last remaining fan on Thursday as he was leaving for the last time.
(Although both he and FV have indicated he will probably be returning from time to time.)
- He won't be returning. It is almost a done deal that he's headed to Y&R as Billy Abbott. Remember where you heard it first. Also FV is bringing back Stuart Damon early next year, as well as, Lucy Coe.
- When did Elizabeth switch the test results? I completely missed that.
- [quote]Also FV is bringing back Stuart Damon early next year, as well as, Lucy Coe.
Lucy without Kevin? I thought he'd be a natural as Kate's shrink.
[quote]When did Elizabeth switch the test results? I completely missed that.
I don't think she did it onscreen. She was having a foreshadow-heavy conversation with Obnoxious Dr. Britt about being in love with a man who was unavailable, then seeing McBain and Jason in conversation about Victor III's DNA and offering to take the sample to the lab herself. Next thing, she's giving Jason the (fake) results.
The Voice of the Night
- [quote]Burton I just don't get; he is coma-inducing on screen, does nothing but stare and threaten people and is in general, dull. I do not get it.
And... he only owns black T shirts!!
- maybe on a one-hour procedural or in a movie Jason Morgan would be a good character. But not on a daily soap.
He never said what he was feeling and while for some that's enigmatic, it just came off wooden when I'd watch him.
Plus, he was mean to Spinelli for way too long.
- Can someone explain Connie / Kate? I've started watching on YouTube and the show is great (very plot driven as opposed to character driven, but still enjoyable). I'm up to the part where she sees the necklace and freaks out about being raped by Joe Senior.
- I hope they bring Kevin back with Lucy.
- R383, he's much too old to play Billy Abbott and he looks even older than he is.
They're bringing back Jess Walton soon. Can you see Burton playing her son?
- Aren't Drew and Max Tyler Christopher's real life cousins,r373?
- I want Big Steve in me quite deeply. I don't care that he's a block of wood.
- R392, I sure hope you're not a size queen or you'll be disappointed.
- [quote]When did Elizabeth switch the test results? I completely missed that.
[quote]I don't think she did it onscreen. She was having a foreshadow-heavy conversation with Obnoxious Dr. Britt about being in love with a man who was unavailable, then seeing McBain and Jason in conversation about Victor III's DNA and offering to take the sample to the lab herself. Next thing, she's giving Jason the (fake) results.
That, and there was also some "musical" foreshadowing going on during that conversation with Jason. There was a subtle discordance in the background music that usually indicates something "off" is going on.
- Kate was raped by Joe Jr. as a way of getting back at Sonny. The rape caused her to split into two different personalities. What I wonder is did RC come up with this or was the DID story already in the pipeline when he took over the writing?
Yes the Cheetwood brothers are TC's real life cousins.
- You do realize that Thom Bierz is older than Burton and he played Walton's son.
- So you actually think this woman...
- So is Elizabeth a good character? Steven Lars is her brother?
Thanks On a One Life transfer to Port Charles and liking it but still not sure who everyone is.
- If Burton comes to Y&R, half the male cast should start clearing out their dressing rooms; if GH is any indication, he will be on every episode, will be the town hero and all the women will be fighting over him.
- [quote]So is Elizabeth a good character? Steven Lars is her brother?
Steven Lars is her half-brother. They also have another sister.
Is she a good character...well...
She was definitely a bad girl when she first came on the show in the late 90s. She ended up somewhat reformed, and then she got raped rather brutally, and that seemed to make her mostly a good girl. But she also doesn't have the greatest respect for marriage vows, both her own, and other people's.
The Voice of the Night
- Michael Graziadei is leaving. If Billy Miller leaves, that takes care of some of the competition already.
Josh Morrow is probably sweating.
- Steve Burton was born 3 years before Y&R premiered
- Like any other soap character respects marriage vows, VOTN?
Adultery is a soap staple.
- No, I agree, but since I assume Big Steve prefers Jason with Liz partly because she's the more saintly character (and therefore, the better to pair with his Holy Warrior), and she's not exactly pure.
Of course, the bigger reason may be because of his relationship with Becky Herbst, but still.
The Voice of the Night
- "Josh Morrow is probably sweating"
I volunteer to lick that sweat over every inch of that man's body.
- Please no more solos from Kristin Alderson. if someone has to sing, bring on Kassie.
- I don't think "Big Steve" wanted to be paired with Becky. He had multiple opportunities to do so, and every time he either quit (three times) or he opted to go with another pairing (twice).
- Simian sweat. Not a good thought.
- The Jason and Liz pairing is a sad shell now but once it had real heat, back in 2005 or 2006 or whenever they first made it official and she got pregnant with Jake. Killing their baby was a terrible mistake designed to cement Brian Frons's dream couple Jason and Sam, and Jason abandoning the kid for the early (and only) years of his life is when I lost my last shred of respect. Now she looks really really stupid chasing after him. Her character is a mess.
Jason and Sam has always been kind of pathetic. She lives for him, hangs on his every monosyllabic grunt and looks dirty and tired all the time. At least with Liz there was a ghost of a chance he might change. Jason and Sam together are like a test pattern. The zombie and his moll. I like McBain and Sam, though. That could bring her back to life, and I hope it does. Steve can't leave fast enough.
Appropriately, the day after he exits Sean Kanan reappears as AJ. (Who will be fucking with Sam and the Qs)
- Also, I called him Big Steve first. Quit stealing my nicknames, VOTN.
- Kassie DePavia quote from Michael Fairman website.Looks like she's coming back... Kassie: “I received a call from GH’s executive producer Frank Valentini… My friend… And he said there is something coming up on the canvas for Blair. I guess it must be true because Carolyn Hinsey tweeted that I would be coming back for a “nice stint”. I’m not sure what that means exactly… But maybe that’s a good sign. I’m always excited to put Blair’s hat back on and to walk in her shoes. GH is looking good these days.”
- KDP needs to remove her lips from FV's butt.
- Why? The show is working.
- I really can't see this badly aging actor playing Jill Abbott's son. Jess Walton looks better than he does.
- Burton needs to slim down and do something about his hair. He looks like shit.
- He needs to do something with that voice.. he sounds like he's ingested helium.
- Burton needs to do something about burying his meaty cock deep, deep, deep within my anal cavity.
- R417, the only thing meaty about Burton is his head.
- Did Edward die yet?
- I'm thinking they'll kill him off sometime around the holidays.
- Do you suppose Connie's wedding-night goodie bag included a strap-on? Because that seems like something she'd be into.
The Voice of the Night
- [quote]Did Edward die yet?
No, but I'm guessing they'll have to deal with the issue of his absence sometime before the traditional Q Thanksgiving episode.
It would be great if Ned could show up to lead them in "We Gather Together" one last time.
- [quote]No, but I'm guessing they'll have to deal with the issue of his absence sometime before the traditional Q Thanksgiving episode.
Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Guza abandon the Q Thanksgiving episodes a few years ago?
- Are they still hiring ex-OLTL actors for General Hospital? Just curious.
- Clint, Shawn, Jack and Shane reunite for charity bowling.
- R423, they abandoned the Q Thanksgiving years ago. One year they even had poor Courtney the moron doing her flat affect mouth-breathing woman body-builder rendition of Groundhog Day. That may have been the same year the tradition ended. The only Qs left are Tracy and Monica, not much of a party.
What I missed far more was the annual Christmas party episode at the hospital with Stuart Damon reading from the Bible.
- Shane looks so much better with shorter hair.
- More of the whole OLTL crew at the bowling alley, including not one but two Jack Mannings. The one who could act has gotten big.
- [quote]...they abandoned the Q Thanksgiving years ago.
Nope. They still do it every year, pizza and all, it's just not the main focus of the entire episode anymore. The clip posted above was from 2010 and there is another for 2011 on YT as well. Last year's ended with Jason having an outburst (it was right after the Franco mess) and flipping over the table in a fit of anger. Won't miss that at all...
- Andy T is filling out quite nicely. Can't wait until he shows up on GH. Yum!
- Jack is rumored to be showing up on GH with Blair as part of Todd's latest baby switch trial, but I doubt it will be Andrew Trischitta of the hairy limbs. For jailbait, he and Austin W look cuter than ever together.
- Then the last two regimes must have brought it back, R429.
- That Dante guy,married to Lulu. Hasn't he overdone it a bit with all those nasty tats?
- Dante's tattoos are a huge turn off. They look terrible. I used to think he was hot but his lame tattoos killed it.
- Does Anna know that two of the gayest guys ever on soaps are fighting over her?
- That nuance wasn't lost on me, either, R435.
- A bit OT. I've been laughing over the most recent Nicole storyline on "DOOL'.
WTF? The bitch steals a scalpel from an GYN exam room where she got a sonogram. I've had diagnostic tests in the past and nowhere in the room did I see instruments used for surgery.
WTF is a scalpel even doing in a GYN exam room. Nicole was either going to kill herself, I wish, or kill Jennifer.
I'm glad the conniving psycho bitch Nicole lost the baby, but, of course, she's conveniently blaming Jennifer for the baby's death. Meanwhile, she was walking around with a dead baby inside her body for a few days. Mark my words, this excruciatingly stupid story line will go on for another six months.
I don't get why the doctor involved with helping Nicole hide the fact that it was EJ's baby, got so involved with her, for a smart man he sure is stupid. It's very bad writing. The actor who plays the doctor is horrible. I forgot the actors name.
I'm not a female, but wouldn't Nicole have become septic or something walking around with a dead baby inside her? Are these absurd medical story lines ever researched?
- Steve Burton- talk about a blank slate.
- Medical facts get twisted to suit the so-called writers. That's pretty much a soap staple.
I knew a woman who carried a [badly deformed as it turned out] dead fetus, but it was only a few days, less than a week, before her body expelled it. She was hospitalized and closely monitored. It was a painful delivery but with no live child to be concerned about, they drugged her to the max.
- Florencia Lozano is doing some amazing work this week. I hope Tea sticks around but I doubt that will happen now.
- I agree R440. Love Florencia and her character.
- R437 you obviously never watched Guiding Light when crazy Annie Dutton did the same thing Nicole did,
- Probably unpopular to say but I'm rooting for Nicole. Can't stand the Jennifer Horton character.
- Has Austin Williams come out yet? Shane was getting pretty gay by the end of the run.
- Great episode today
- Was Tea this good on OLTL?
- No, she mostly screeched all the time, R446.
- I think she was,R446.
- Does Tea still pronounce any name which sounds remotely hispanic like she's a streetwalker in San Juan?
- TAY-AH R449
- Ran into Hillary and Kassie from OLTL at O'Hare, both very nice. Kassie has very long legs, didn't know she was that thin. They were appreciative of my saying I missed them.
- I haven't been totally sold on Sabrina, but I have to say, given that her immediate reaction to overhearing Heather and Anna talking about Robin was to tell Patrick, rather than try to work some angle (as Obnoxious Dr. Britt would have done) made me warm up to her considerably.
Speaking of Heather and Anna, that was some great work from both Robin Mattson and Finola Hughes. I know the emotional focus on the episode was on Sam's reunion with her baby and Tea getting her heart ripped out, but the two best moments for me were Anna telling Heather not to die on her because they had unfinished business, and then threatening to make sure she was thrown in a hole for the rest of her life.
I thought the way Roger Howarth played Todd's finally coming clean to Tea was great, but I wish they'd written it a bit differently. I would have rather seen him have one of his rare moments of compassion than have McBain browbeat him into it. That said, I found myself rather moved by his line "I'm sorry for everything I've ever done to you and especially for what I'm about to say."
I really hope Olivia finally dumps Steven Lars' leathery, orange ass.
The Voice of the Night
- Carly and Johnny the most WTF couple ever. Why is he married to Connie?
- I know he's not gay but I still get a gay vibe from Scott aka Steven Lars.
- Heather was taking LSD while pregnant with Steven Lars
- I agree, I also get gay vibes off Steven Lars. Or maybe its Scott Reeves I'm getting the gay vibes from. Hard to know.
Wonder how Scott would react if they decided to make Steven Lars gay.
Wonder how his wife Melissa would react. She'd probably buy the Chick fil-A out to pray the gay away.
- Scott would blame it on the LSD Heather was taking at the time.
- I bet Scott Reeves would take the first contract out he could get. He's the main bible thumper, the evangelist who has led to salvation that little group of born agains at GH.
- Did Scott give off gay vibes when he was playing Ryan on Y&R?
I know he changed his hair do every other week as Ryan, but did the character come off as gay? I wasn't watching Y&R in the 90s when Scott was on.
- I never got gay vibes off him on Y&R. I see it on GH and even more so in the vids of him with that gruesome band.
- Didn't Scott Reeves wife fuck some other actor and he called her out on it? Are they still together?
Recent GH convert from Llanview.
- Speaking of hair, Tracy needs to wear it a little longer. Much too short.
- r461 Yes, Melissa Reeves is reported to have had an affair in 1994 with Jason Brooks who was playing her love interest on Days at the time.
As the story goes, when Scott found out about the affair, he made her quit the show without any notice. She called Ken Corday and said she had to quit to save her marriage. Ken was forced to do an emergency recast of the Jennifer Horton role.
Ken Corday later sued her for breach of contract, which they settled out of court when she agreed to return to the show in 2000, long after Jason Brooks had exited the show.
Reportedly, Scott made Melissa do all sorts of things to repent for her sins including confess the affair before the congregation at their church.
- Hate GH. Quality stars like Mattson, Hughes and Eliot are completely elevating appalling material. It's a lifeless, nonsensical show of one incident to the next, with zero depth or character study. Nothing. And the OLTL exports are so fucking proud of themselves for 'elevating it', they are that pretentious and clueless.
I'd rather take Guza's misogynism and ultra violent mob GH than the new self-aware triteness. At least Guza's crapfest was good for a laugh.
Oh yeah and before I forget - what the fuck have they done to Todd? Roger Howarth reeling off one liners like a monkey on crack is not the same psychopath from Michael Malone era OLTL that captivated a nation. No. Fucking. Way.
The only person who is keeping her character intact on this shitfest is Finola and that's because Anna has always been virtually autonomous and empowered anyway, without neurosis. She's easy to write for in that respect.
- r440, she's channeling Faye Dunaway in Mommie Dearest. Send her off to do kabuki theater because she's devouring that stage trying to show off for Team Llanview (why Florencia? Is this some back-handed "Look how talented our cast are, we're eating you West Coasters alive, and you had the gall to cancel OUR show?!") and making the GH regulars fear for their lives. All she needs is white face paint.
- Todd has been doing one liners for a long, long time.
There's humor, but I think Roger has been very engaged since he came back to ABC, much more than when he left. There's a lot of soul and self-loathing and emotion in his performance. Especially in his scenes this past summer with Kelly Monaco and Kassie DePaiva. And he shines with Kristen Alderson after all these years - their bond is actually BETTER with her as an adult.
r444 asked about Austin Williams. I don't know about him, but Shane went off to the Phil Jimenez Art School (Phil Jimenez is an openly gay comic book artist) so I think that's about as official an admission they could give for Shane on OLTL while Frons still ruled the roost.
- FL hams it up but she is pure soap. I always rooted for Blair over Tea, but I love them both. Tea is a theatrical madwoman.
- Anna threatening Heather in her hospital room was entirely lifted from this scene over 20 years earlier:
- Anna/Duke/Olivia Jerome was a great Gloria Monty storyline. This was the highlight for me:
- Just for laughs, here's another clip of Olivia Jerome being threatened in her hospital bed - this time by an uncharacteristically psychotic Lucy Coe:
- Heather did NOT take LSD when she was pregnant with Steven Lars. She bought LSD when Diana Taylor had adopted SL and put it in ice tea to drive Diana crazy but accidentally drank the LSD-laced ice tea herself which sent her to the loony bin.