- Where would you like us to go with this?
I just read the story. It's awful. Whoever did it should be castrated.
Hope they catch the scumbag(s).
- This is horrible. It sounds like the local gay/lesbian community is being supportive.
- She's just a lesbian. Good for her.
- [quote]"Apparently, though, through that job someone let her know that she had no business working with children because she was a lesbian," Rappl said. "She is a wonderful, beautiful person. I couldn't ask for a better neighbor."
- I didn't see that they made an arrest. Did I miss that? Of course I care but if there are decent people who know who did it...it is up to them to meet out the punishment.
- No suspects.
Interesting. The Daily Mail had an article up about it which included a picture of what was written on the wall, but it has been taken down.
- This is really awful.
OTOH, OP is a total Jackass!!!!!!
- A fund has been set up to help her. Click on "Victim Recovery Fund" to donate.
- What's a synonym for gay bashing?
- Did a donation, Thanks r9.
Op, you are a real jackass, this is not a topic for nasty sarcasm.
- This is horrendous! This should not happen to any one. Oh and OP fuck you! I am a gay male, I don't care what a person is, this is horrendous act that should not happen to anybody. So please don't include me in the gaggle of freaks here who don't have an ounce of compassion for any one but themsevles.
- good lord
- Since she survived, I wonder if she knew/could identify her attackers.
This is awful, and the story is worth sharing. It's still not ok to let the guard down.
- Any leads yet?
How damaged was her house?
Horrifying story. The poor woman.
- I hate to say this, and I am only putting it out there as a distant maybe, but.... is it at all possible she staged this and cut herself?
Did anyone see the men at any point?
Again, it was a horrific attack and I am truly sickened by it, but there's a tiny thought in the back of my mind because there have been similar events that turned out to be... not what they seemed...
- OP, fuck you. Do we need homophobic hate-baiting from cunts such as you, using this crime as a way to preemptively stir shit?
You're the hate crime. And you're probably a man, you troll.
- [quote] None of you care of course, because she wasn't a hot straight guy
I wish it had been the OP instead of this woman. She sounds lovely and didn't deserve something so awful.
- That's not a terrible thought, R16, because there have been cases where people of all kinds have staged stuff, incidents. It's sad that this comes to mind, though, and I feel guilty for it, but it's in the realm of possiblity.
- OP, the only thing I care about is wishing this had rather happened to you than her.
- R16 & R19, you are sick people (assuming you're not the same poster, which is more than a "distant possibility").
"I was in shock," Rappi said. "She was naked, her hands were tied with zip ties. All I could see was a cut across her forehead and blood running down."
It's a little hard to tie your own hands with zip ties, douchebag.
- "Since she survived, I wonder if she knew/could identify her attackers."
According to the story, they attackers were masked, so it's unlikely she could identify them.
- I'll put money on them being neighbors or at least acquainted with her. They knew her sexuality and had probably been watching her for awhile. A couple of homophobic douchebags threatened by the fact she didn't prefer them over other women. One of them may have made sexual advances towards her at some point and been rejected.
- Tawana Brawley. I'm just sayin.
- R16 is slipping. We got 15 messages in before you came up with your "fake" scenario. DL Freeper trolls are getting older and slower. Now is the time to attack them!
- Brawley didn't tie up her own hands, moron.
- Any other reports on this incident?
- Hi I am related to the victim of this crime. I was in shock when I heard what happened to her and she and the family are dealing with a lot of trauma right now. I have seen some comments from idiots on this site and others who immediately go to the comment "Maybe, she did this to herself?" All I can say to you people is you should be ashamed of yourself. This victim is one of the most kind-hearted people you would ever meet. When we were kids, she was never mean to me even though I was different and she always looking out for others. Even her nieghbors to this day, know how generous she is. She would mow the lawns of nieghbors who had no mowers. All she ever asked was to be treated with the same respect that she gave others. She is not the type to ask for this kind of attention... I hate the fact that people automatically find a way to blame the victim for the torturous acts of others. Good going, I hope you are proud of yourself being an insensitive idiot.....
- She probably knows something about the fascist criminals at ES&S and this was her warning.
- R29 is a fake with an obvious death wish.
- What R16 said. It's not entirely out of the realm of possibility. Hate on me all you want, but staged crimes happen quite often. Some people are crying out for help, and instead of asking for help, they do horrible things to themselves. Either way, this woman has my sympathy. And if it is shown that this is a genuine crime, then I apologize for suggesting it was faked.
- I am her cousin. If you don't believe me, that's fine. Take it or leave it. I didn't come here to be harrassed by trolls. I only posted because I am sick of people bashing my family member when she went through the most horrific event of her life.
- R33, most of us sane people wish her the best. The rest are just pathetic, attention-seeking assholes.
- why so much hysteria and hate being flung around on this thread? it's absolutely common for plausible possibilities to be discussed on a thread that posts after a crime. We have very little information at this point and she can't identify her attackers, so why shouldn't someone question whether she might have self-perpetrated the cuts on her body? And those of you wishing this had happened to the OP, you are sick fucks to wish this on anyone. There are sure a lot of disturbed people on this website. Geez.
- My first thought was that she did this herself.
And sorry, R21, but it's quite easy to restrain yourself with zip-ties. Many suicides are found with their wrists bound like that.
And also apologies to the 'family member,' but just that she's been overwhelmingly nice to people doesn't preclude the possibility that she did this herself. She lost her job and is probably under a lot of stress. People do stranger things in similar circumstances.
- I hope you rot in hell, r36. For eternity.
- Funny, I am the most cynical person you'll ever meet. I question everything and everyone. But at no point did I ever think this poor woman did this to herself.
Nothing in the report suggests that she staged this. Nothing. This happened in LINCOLN NEBRASKA, one of the most homophobic places on the face of this earth. They are staging a veritable war against gays and lesbians there. And against women in general. Two lesbians were shot in the head in Texas a few weeks ago so a home invasion attack on a lesbian is not unbelievable. Especially in a backwards state like Nebraska.
I hope this poor girl is OK.
- The city has accepted an offer by the FBI to investigate it as a hate crime.
- Reply 36, It is evident that you don't know her. Even though she lost her job, she has been busy with other volunteer things and never lost any of her positive attitude. And she wasn't hurting for money, like you think she was. She also had other things lined up..
- [quote]Beaten, tortured, slurs carved into her skin. None of you care of course, because she wasn't a hot straight guy. Her attackers possibly were however.
Fuck you, OP. I care about every horror story put here on a daily basis, be it gay-related, straight, non-human, etc.
A lot of us just have the good grace not to comment because it descends into arguments.
But fuck you for judging us all.
- What horrible crime.
- This is truly horrific, and I hope her attackers get what they deserve.
- Hey, Family Member, there are always a couple of sick fucks who pull this blame the victim shit on DL. Ignore them. My heart goes out to your cousin and her family and friends. I hope they catch the subhuman specimens who assaulted her quickly, and I hope she knows how many people out here are rooting for her.
- r36; I am glad I am not the only one. Something about the details in this case seems off. Particularly the gasoline fire that never really did any damage. And yes, she could be the nicest person on the planet and still, in a moment of weakness and stress, do something like this for the sympathy and attention. People DO fake hate crimes, and while I am not saying I am certain this was one such case, let's just wait till the investigation is over.
On the other hand, IF this is true, I hope they catch those men and punish them harshly.
- Reply 45, Seriously, how many people do YOU know that lose their jobs then go, rip down their own fence so that her dogs can roam the nieghborhood instead of just open the door at 4am.(Yes she has 4 dogs who she absolutely adores and calls her "kids" and would Never let out like that)Go cut three horrific slurs into her own body, tie herself up with zipties and light thier own house on fire? Witnesses did hear banging coming from her house but there was no eye witnesses because it was 4AM.... People tend to sleep at that time. I'm sorry but the whole "She was under alot of stress" thing, doesn't cut it. People usually show more signs before having a meltdown. She is no a narcissist and she did not have a stress meltdown. She is a VICTIM. SHE WAS TORTURED AND EVEN THE COPS HAVE SAID THEY BELIEVE SHE DIDN'T DO THIS TO HERSELF. That is why they brought in the FBI and that is also why they officially classified this a HATE CRIME. What does it take to keep you people from attacking the character of my cousin? I believe that even if they had a video of the people doing this, you guys would still find a way to blame her.... I am so done here....
- Would you silly bitches quit complaining about my lead-in to this thread?
In case you didn't notice, other than R4, it very effectively ran off the usual insulting, uncaring responders.
If you doubt me, check out the "Teen Lesbians shot in Park" or "Lesbian Couple kicked out of park for kissing" threads.
- Her name was not published.
- Family Member, don't take what's said online personally.
I know, I know, easier said than done!
But really, it's just a bunch of strangers saying shit that doesn't matter to anyone but themselves.
I wish your cousin well, and I hope the evil bastards who did this get their balls cut off.
- In case any of you are keeping up with the story, the police think she's making it up. There are no suspects and no leads. The public, however, is convinced she's telling the truth. There was a vigil last night with hundreds of people in attendance. For the sake of all the other gay people in Lincoln, I hope she's telling the truth also. If not, there will be an enormous amount of ill will towards gay people there, even more than there already is.
- r51, how do you know?
about the police I mean...
- here's the article
- strange story.
Police continue to investigate Sunday’s reported hate crime but say they haven’t ruled out the possibility that the 33-year-old woman staged the attack.
Chief Jim Peschong told the Journal Star investigators were not certain an attack took place, but he said Tuesday it was too early to tell whether the attack was a hoax. Police have no suspects, the chief said.
Capt. Jim Davidsaver said later the FBI had joined the investigation, and an agent was at the department Tuesday.
A 33-year-old Near South woman told police three masked men burst into her house Sunday morning, bound her with zip ties, carved anti-gay slurs into her skin and tried to light her house on fire, according to the woman’s friend, who spoke to the Journal Star on Sunday.
Lincoln attorney Megan Mikolajczyk told the Journal Star she was representing the woman who reported the crime, but she said her client did not wish to make a statement Tuesday evening.
“When she first told me about it, it seemed far-fetched and hard to believe,” said Dawn Thorfinnson, another friend who said she met the victim of the reported crime two months ago.
“It’s entirely understandable (police) are not ready to believe something this horrid would happen, and it would actually be almost better if it never did,” she added. “I would hate to find out anything that she said wasn’t actually real.”
Thorfinnson said she thought her friend was telling the truth. She is a good person and staging a brutal attack and then lying about it to an entire community would be out of character, Thorfinnson said.
“That would shock me. I know enough about (her) that I know this is not at all something she’d be capable of doing.”
According to Thorfinnson, the woman’s attackers painted a message on her wall telling her to stay away from children.
The woman was seen at a gay pride event earlier this summer lip-syncing to a song while a child danced in a tutu.
During the festivities, the woman was honored, Thorfinnson said. She wanted to champion tolerance and make the world a better place for future generations of gays and lesbians.
“It’s really sad she was attacked for being with kids when it’s the children she’s really focused on,” Thorfinnson said. “That’s why she wanted to do any event during Pride where we’re raising kids in a world of acceptance and tolerance instead of hate.”
- Not sure what happened here, but there were a couple cases in the 90s where there was a horrible attack reported and then it turned out to be a hoax.
It's horrible for a number of reasons, but primarily because it diminishes the perceived reliability of the victims of real hate crimes and fuels the outrageous "you're just making the whole oppression thing up" claims of our haters.
Awful. I hope this woman is all right and gets treatment, whatever the case is here.
- Are the dogs safe? I feel bad if this did happen, and losing the pets would make it worse
- I think it's fair to say that it is sometimes hard being a lesbian irregardless of the facts.
- That's an odd comment, r57.
(And I am a lesbian.)
- If she indeed faked this this will HURT the gays
- A lot of lesbians are mentally ill
- I'm so sorry this happened. I'm unemployed now or I would make a contribution.
But Family Member, people DO fake crimes and we had very little information. It's not being cruel, it's because some of us have been around for a while and have seen this before.
- Were the letters carved backwards?
That's always a dead giveaway.
- So are a lot of gay men, R60. Mental illness -- particularly depression and anxiety disorders -- affect the entire gay community. We've come a long way in terms of acceptance and visibility, but there's still so much hate out there, and it's more than some of us can handle.
- There have been a few cases I've read about when it was perpetrated by the victim. It even happened in college to a girl I knew who claimed somebody was writing anti-Asian threats on her door and she was doing them.
Maybe it's Tawana Brawley or Morton Downey Jr. or the McCain campaign worker, but cuts or epithets on the skin always make me think hoax.
- Unfortunately indications are this is a hoax, but if that is the case, my heart still goes out to this poor woman, because if is truly faked, then this is a cry for help if there ever was one. There are many fake hate crimes, but a lot them are really not exploitative con artists but instead damaged individuals who are desperate for positive attention and hate themselves to the point where they are willing to mutilate their bodies to get it. It's sad, and it's another symptom of the homophobia we face in today's world. It's no coincidence most of these fake hate crimes happen in places like Ohio, Tennessee or North Carolina.
- I hope the dyke did not fake this! how much to bet she is no lipstick lesbian?
- R66, what does the alleged victim's femininity have to do with whether she faked the crime?
- R65, she would need our compassion if this were an attention-seeking act. However, if someone was arrested for that reason, I would hope she would be punished also.
Years ago in Boston I worked at a liquor store. The young woman that worked at a deli down the street carved Xs all over her body, tied herself to a tree, and claimed it was done by two black men.
The police knew the marks were self-inflicted so no one was falsely accused, thank goodness.
Not saying this is definitely the case here.
- Back in 2008, I was held up in the parking lot of my apartment building. A guy rushed me from behind, pushed me to the ground and kicked me several times, while demanding my wallet.
I ended up with two broken fingers from the fall and tons of bruises. It happened on a Wednesday and my boss told me to take the rest of the week off, which I gladly did.
I'll never forget when I came back to work the next week and heard one of my co-workers telling people he was convinced I had made the whole thing up. I couldn't believe it. I still can't believe it.
- Neither can I.
- R69, did you confront the asshole? What happened?
Any word on this incident? I'm hoping they've got a lead on the attackers.
- It gets better
- Reading something like this has happened just eradicates my belief in god or any goodness of human nature.
I agree with the poster who said the the perps should be castrated.
OP - you're a dick for the way you posted this though.
- r74, but what if she herself staged this? Why should you let it "eradicate" YOUR belief in god or human nature? (that seems silly and extreme.)
- Well, god is imaginary, r74, so eradicating that belief is actually never silly or extreme.
- Honest question -- can someone remember a hate crime where words were carved into the victim's skin?
- sadly, you know they have to at least look at her handwriting and how it compares to the slurs written on her basement wall....
- ...and why would they write on the BASEMENT wall where no one would ever see it...?
- Deos "senseless hate-crime attack" suggest that there are occasionally sensible hate-crime attacks?
- If this happened it is absolutely appalling. Just totally inhumane.
However, I am shocked not one of you bitches even questioned the 'Family Member' poster who is probably the 'victim' herself. If you re-read the posts you will see what I mean.
- They have released her name. She is Charlie Rogers, and was a 6' 2" star of the Nebraska Cornhuskers women's bball team.
- Typical fake "hate crime" and a product of "victim studies" taught at colleges.
The "victims" always go way over the top.
Usually staged by female college students. The giveaway is the key word "fag", "dyke", "nigger" which always gets written somewhere to spark extra outrage and sympathy.
In real life, nobody cares that much about said victim to go to such extremes.
True hate crimes are usually nothing more than wrong place, wrong time encounters with drunk assholes and they are almost always male/male.
- We were curious reading these posts on just how easily one could bind their own wrists with zip ties so I tried it -- very easy to do -- in seconds -- you just interlock and partially thread, slip them on and manipulate with you fingers to pull tight.
I have no idea what happened in this case but no one should think that the zip tie issue confirms this was not a hoax.
- The victim speaks.
And I'm still not buying it.
- Just watched the video; still suspicious about this attack.
If the attackers intended to light her on fire, why wear masks? Dead people can't identify you.
Zip ties? Who plans ahead with zip ties? why not duct tape, rope, or a handy electrical cord?
[quote]In addition, someone poured gasoline around the house and lit it, but the fire did little damage, police said.
My experience with gasoline is that it works every time.
The "slurs" were carved into her arms and abdomen (all places she could reach). Why not her back?
[quote]She recently lost her job...
[quote]Rogers said she hasn’t spoken publicly about her attack because she doesn’t want to affect the police investigation, but she says she wants her own voice to be heard.
Translation: she needs more "attention".
- [quote]However, I am shocked not one of you bitches even questioned the 'Family Member' poster who is probably the 'victim' herself. If you re-read the posts you will see what I mean.
Yeah, that was my first thought as well, after seeing those posts. Just watch now ... the "Family Member" will go ballistic over your post.
- I believe her completely.
Most lesbians are at least threatened throughout their lives--it can be either subtle (she looks like a DYKE, stay away form her) or outright verbal abuse.
These criminals felt empowered to do this because of the murder of a lesbian in Texas and the disfiguring of her lover.
Lesbians have historically been victims of rape or threatened with rape BECAUSE OF THEIR SEXUALITY.
The attackers were also likely on meth--a problem in the midwest.
We are moving backwards in this country and it won't be long before America becomes a complete shithole. There IS a war on women in america, and lesbians represent love for women, which is despised worldwide.
We will never have a woman president in this country. We have too many nitwits running around. And don't make this a political issue because even the great leftist, Susan Sarandon, had to call Hillary Clinton a "whiner." So leftist women are just as sexist as Limbaugh could ever be.
- A jilted lesbian lover "might" do this.
A pissed off father of a girl who's dating this lesbian "might" do this.
Nobody else cares. Seriously.
- If you take a look at real hate crimes, the victims are beaten, and often murdered by the perps. In the cases which I recall, there have never been slurs carved into the victims nor were slurs ever spray-painted or written on walls (except for the Manson case). James Byrd, Jr., Emmett Till, Matthew Shepard. And the same thing for the hate crimes that happened in my own country, Canada. Over the years, a large number of gays and lesbians have been beaten, and even killed, by bigoted assholes, but in none of the cases were slurs ever carved onto victims.
But the slur carving/writing is always a consistent thing in fake hate crimes.
Think about it. If you want to fake a hate crime, beating yourself up is extremely difficult. But carving slurs into your skin, spray-painting offensive graffitti on some walls, and tying yourself up is easy by comparison.
- r89, believing her story completely at this point is silly.
It could be true. But signs point to staged. So why would you go "all in" without knowing the facts?
You make no sense.
- Forgot to write this point:
Most bigoted criminals who want to hurt someone just based on his or her race, sexual orietation, or religion, will just beat the shit out of that person.
These assholes don't bother with making a statement via "slur carving" or spray-painting slurs. The beating is statement enough for them.
- If this really happened, I hope to God they find who did it; if it did not happen, I hope to God she gets psychological help. The last thing the gay community needs is someone crying "wolf"...As we all know, a conservative pall is sweeping across our country and the whole world. Hate crimes do happen and could well increase in proportion to the degree of economic problems the U.S. is experiencing. Any instances of 'fake' crimes are used to minimize or ignore the real attacks that occur.
- Hate crime perpetrators don't go after 6'2" lesbian athletes. They go after smaller people they know they can overpower.
Did she have any pets and are they fine? That would be another clue. People who would carve words into flesh would kill the pets to inflict emotional harm on their victim.
- People on meth don't behave like other 'normal' criminals. Their crimes are always weirder and make less sense.
Meth addicts are known to hurt animals in very cruel and evil ways. In general, they terrorize everyone and everything around them.
Yes, I am assuming here, but all of you doubters are assuming as well.
- ...where was mention of meth in all the coverage?
- I just read an account and yes, she has pets -- 4 dogs -- and they are fine.
Another thing that doesn't pass the smell test.
Are we to believe all 4 dogs happened to be out of the house when the perps arrived? I do believe she tore the fence down. She needed to show the perps did something "bad" to her dogs, so she tore away a piece of the fence so that her dogs were "wandering the neighborhood." To her, that's a bad thing to do to her dogs.
Why did they carve slurs in her skin but not stab her with their knives? You would think they would stab her to death and then carve words in her skin.
- "people are people and agendas are agendas"
what does that mean? She mentions not being a pawn in a game more than once. Very strange. She's well-spoken, but much of what she said makes no sense.
- I just watched the video. Don't believe her. She has crazy eyes and her halting speech seems studied.
She needs to be in a psych ward for a while with 24 hour round the clock care and lots of talk therapy. She probably can't afford a private psych hospital. It's a shame, really. She needs a lot of help.
The police would be looking for any evidence that someone was there. Fingerprints, DNA, shoe prints, clothing fibers. They'd look under her fingernails for DNA and clothing fibers. You would put up your hands to defend yourself even if they were ziplocked. My guess is that they can't find any evidence that anyone else was in the home.
- Half the folks in Walmart have crazy eyes, should we lock them away too?
- Corrected Headline:
Another senseless lesbian attacks herself for attention.
- Men stage too...
- Someone posted this on another thread by accident, so I am reposting here.
- WARNING: R105's link is to a fundamentalist freeper "news" site.
- I love my sexuality, and I am ok with it. If I want to suck my partners beautiful pussyI will. If I want to take it deep in the ass, I will.So all of you homophobic gay haters suck your own dick!
- urf! I didn't realize the link was to such a creepy site! sorry. Was just reposting.
- Most all of the senless crimes in America are based on homophobic beliefs. If I believed the stupid shit I read, I would doubt anyone who I suspected wanted to exercise their sexual asperations. I fell sorry for anyone who is demonized for their sexuality.
It's a combo of homophobia and meth nowadays.
p.s. love to read more of your posts!
- IF YOU DON'T THINK GOD DOESN'T AVENGE THOSE WHO CHASTISE AND JUDGE OTHERS.......YOU ARE DEAD WRONG! COO Shitfila
- the Chic filet in Hollywood is BOOMING with business! ha ha ha
- wow. several different levels of crazy here.
- [quote]Reading something like this has happened just eradicates my belief in god or any goodness of human nature.
Good! There's some growth occurring.
- Hotbitch, are you for real?
- [quote]None of you care of course
Heal thyself, physician. Plenty of us care.
- I hope after she recovers she gets out of backassed Nebraska.
- Poor Woman?
Her story REEKS of an EST.
- Chick Filet spokesperson dies of heart attack. Donald Perry dies after Chick Filet apology.
- Dyke Drama?!?
- The words she chose in her video statement were odd and a little off. So I did some Googling and found this site; it's an analysis of the words she chose during her video statement.
- She said. There were 3 masked men. That's a lot of masked men to decide to plan and perpetrate a crime that has no gain for them. Two would have been enough. A third person might sit in a car and act as lookout while the others did the crime. But 3 masked men?
That's too many perpetrators to have to describe to police. Their masks, their clothing, their height and weight, their accents (locals, non-locals). I'm sure police are keeping mum, but they know by now whether or not this really happened.
- Cry for help. And not in the way she intended.
- OP gets on my nerves.
- Any updates?
- An obvious fake.
- Isn't anyone going to link/comment on the 2 lesbians in PA who murdered one of their ex-girlfriends by beating and suffocating her by buring her alive?
I mean....there's Gay Drama and then there's Lesbian Drama.
Although in all fairness....a gay couple in my first apartment building (a converted colonial) had a tiff and one of the gentleman set the sofa on fire.
- This story appears to be dead in the water.
- Likely because it didn't happen.
- Every day I check back to see if there's more...
- Still no updates.
The graffiti shows oddly good penmanship, though.
- This thread is vile. She tied her own hands did she? Hope it happens to one of you lot.
- Save your energy R135. Fags would probably enjoy the attack. Likely even cum from it.
I gave up on the gay men about 3 months ago, when a similar story surfaced and the same kind of comments appeared. I may not be lez but I can find some compassion for people who are different from me. Most human-beings can.
These silly Nancies, clearly only think about themselves and what to shove next into their assholes. They deserve all the hate they get. But like I said, the hate probably makes them hard! Maybe we should just pray for more suicides.
- Back it up, r136.
You sound mentally ill.
- Suspicious lack of updates to this story.
- I am beginning to loathe most lesbians. If Lchat lesbians represent most dykes, than I am going to get a man!
- LChat? How is that relevant to this thread?
- L-Chat is filled with male trolls.
- Bullshit! it's filled with ugly bulldykes with no class or manners
- [quote]The graffiti shows oddly good penmanship, though.
And "We found U Dyke" is something a chick would write.
Straight guys just beat you up, call you names and leave. They don't invest in spray paint and zip ties. Too much effort.
This was either self-inflicted, or from a spurned lover (lesbian drama).
- SHE LIED!
A warrant has just been issued for her arrest.
I can't believe anybody bought this story. Feel pretty stupid now, right?
She apparently bought zip ties and a utility knife five days before the 'attack.'
I'm hoping the 'family member' comes back and offers an explanation.
- I too smelled a rat. I am from DC, where the woman who killed the other woman at the Lululemon store was also found tied up with plastic doodads and claimed that three masked men strode in to do their evil business. The story fell apart fast.
I also went to a college where a black student burned a cross, then claimed that whites had done it. He caused a great deal of turmoil and upset before people figured out what had actually happened.
Naturally I feel sorry for these misguided souls but they really do a lot of harm. As one poster pointed out, they play into slanders of minorities being mentally ill/having a persecution complex. They also get people who are sympathetic to minorities really freaked out -- "OMG, our community is so sick, I am so ashamed, how awful this happened." When the concerned souls find out the truth, they are angry because their town has been slandered and they have been duped. Staged hate crimes confirm the prejudices of enemies -- worse, they can alienate potential friends.
- Indeed. And sorry about the new thread. I looked for this one but couldn't find it.
- The biggest crime here is her vocal fry.
- This is why they hate us...
- I stayed out of this thread until now, because the whole thing reminded me of Bethany Storro, the woman in Washington state who claimed someone threw acid in her face in a local park. There was a ton of sympathy and donations.
But a local blogger started asking basic questions -- like why there weren't acid droplets on her clothes, and why it didn't get in her eyes (she claimed she was wearing sunglasses after sundown, which saved her sight). The blogger (can't remember if it was a man or a woman) was crucified for just asking the questions.
Then Bethany cancelled her upcoming appearance on Oprah, where she was going to discuss the attack -- and the whole story fell apart.
- If I ever caught anyone abusing a lesbian, I'd whip my snow chains around their head and drag them behind my car until it was safe for other drivers to follow me.
- [quote]This is why they hate us...
No it isn't. People who hate us do so because they are ignorant fucks who make a generalisation based on one story.
- It's sad if she did make up the story - that would presumably indicate a very disturbed person.
The fact, however, that a string of DLers immediately said that the story was a fake suggests to me that (i) there are some lesbian-haters on DL and/or (ii) that someone in an official position leaked information.
To me, the only thing that seemed a bit odd was that she apparently wasn't raped.
- I was one of the original doubters, R153, and I assure you I do not hate lesbians. And I'm also not privy to leaked information from the police.
I am, however, a born skeptic.
The following facts were red flags: the 'carving' could not have been deep because she was released from the hospital almost immediately. Why would someone with such presumed hatred for gay women have been so delicate with the blade?
The fire did minimal damage. The gasoline was spread so that the structure of the house itself was never threatened. Again, if you're so filled with rage about gay people, why would you take such care when dousing with gasoline?
I do not make presumptions about lesbians or gay people in general because of the actions of one obviously unwell woman. But cases like this make it harder for REAL victims of anti-gay animus and hatred to get justice.
- R153, it's because of neither of those things. Some things are just instinct. Ever since Tawana Brawley and an incident in college where an Asian woman I knew claimed she was being harrassed- both were frauds- as well as living across the street from Columbia Teacher's College where a noose was found on an African-American professor's door- also a fraud.
Yes, I'm wary. I love lesbians. They are some of the coolest people I have met. So screw you R154 and your half-baked theories.
- Fucking knew she was lying.
She needs to be placed in a psych ward and get stabilized for whatever her mental health issue is.
R150, you're right, this Charlie Rogers case is a lot like the Storro case, which I'd completely forgotten about.
And re: hate attacks by bigots on gay people -- when the real attacks happen, the criminals don't waste time on grafitti; they want you to feel pain or they want you dead.
- [quote]The fact, however, that a string of DLers immediately said that the story was a fake suggests to me that (i) there are some lesbian-haters on DL and/or (ii) that someone in an official position leaked information.
Oh, come on. There are very few "lesbian haters" here on DL.
The reason I suspected that this was a hoax perpetrated by one person is because of the facts that were presented. She was only cut on parts of her body she could access. Real criminals don't waste time on grafitti. The video she did just confirmed it for me. Her choice of words showed she was hiding something. If you go to the website I link below, it explains this in more detail.
And I actually pay attention when real hate crimes happen, and real hate crimes are nothing like what happens as with a hoax like this one. Real hate crimes are horrible and the victims wind up in the hospital or in the morgue. When someone hates you enough to attack you, he's not going to tie you up and carve nasty words into your body. He's going to kick the everloving shit out of you to make his point.
Also, with all these hoaxes, most of the perps say there were three bad guys. There's an old saying that three is the liar's number.
- Did I forget the link to the analysis of Rogers' choice of words? If so, here it is.
- "But cases like this make it harder for REAL victims of anti-gay animus and hatred to get justice."
Absolutely, and especially in areas where it's hard to get such justice already, like NE. This is the true tragedy of the situation, and this bitch has just delivered a steak dinner to every right-winger out there.
- It helps to use your detective skills and not automatically back something because you think it's good for your side:
- This is bad, but Crystal Mangum was the worst in recent memory. And the news ran with it. And she got away without punishment, which is the real crime.
- The thread about it being staged:
- Bitch is crazy :S
- Make that Screw You, R153.
My apologies to R154.
- I lesbian fixed my old Electrolux vacuum for me once.
- News on this, anyone?
- The site that accepted donations on behalf of the "victim" offered a refund or to go to the Matthew Shepherd Act
- Any more updates?
- no. as we suspected from the very beginning she staged this and lied. where's the apology from those of you who thought we were awful?
- Sentenced to a week in jail and two years' probation.
- Several years ago a junior faculty member at Claremont McKenna College did something like this. She spoke out at a campus forum on racism, then she claimed someone had defaced her car by slashing tires, smashing windows, and painting anti-Semitic and racist slurs on her car. But it turned out that several students saw her do the damage to her car herself, and she was ultimately fired.
You have to wonder what kind of secret racism and hatred against Jews was going in the psychology professor's head to compel her to write shit like that.
And with Charlie Rogers, you have to wonder how much internalized homophobia she must have been really harboring to write things like that on her wall and to carve it (even lightly) on her own body.
- Is her drag name Butch Carver?
- This woman should have gotten more jail time for what she did. OTOH, OP's reaction (None of you care of course) is also disgusting.
- More jail time isn't the answer r174. She's mentally ill and jail doesn't address that. The two year probation is probably intensive probation and the terms of it are probably intensive mental health treatment, which is appropriate here.
All jail does for the mentally ill is 1) to introduce them to drug habits and people who will exploit vulnerable people to provide said drugs and 2) to give a shitty corrections doctor an opportunity to really fuck up their medications. The one week is a "shock incarceration" period that's probably unwarranted here, but was probably the minimum some 28 year old ADA who still gets off on power would accept.
- Does this mean there are no hot straight guy perp pictures to look forward to?
- And in other fake "news"...
[bold]Police say liberal student activist threatened herself with rape in Facebook hoax, framed conservatives[/bold]
- OMG, r177, she posted this about herself.....
"I want to fuck her so hard... I think its hot."
NEGATIVE, you fat ugly bitch.
- Why are these women always so damn ugly?
Is that why they're nutty?
- Every time I read about atrocities done to lesbians, I send hate vibes to the criminals. I know it's not christian; so I reverse myself after I've already vented my outrage in that manner.
The power of love conquers those who harbor hatred for other humans. We may well find out down the line that these perpetrators will have been severely punished, after all.
I would hope there is a courageous lawyer in those parts. It sounds like a backward area, and they wouldn't pay up even if the law penalizes them.
The wheels of justice grind slowly....
- Uh, she staged the whole thing r181.
- If fucked hard, does she squeal like a pig?
- Charlie has mentally ill written all over her!
booking photo -
- Tawana Brawley too.
- I feel terrible for the elderly neighbor she traumatized by going over naked for help.
- Amen, r186.
That neighbor should sue her for the intentional infliction of emotional distress.
- Fake "victim" crimes seem to be yet another chick disorder.
- Did she ever admit it?
- Pokorny agreed, saying Rogers damaged the cause of gay rights she had said she tried to help by staging the attack.
“It exploded in her face," the judge said. "Ms. Rogers has single-handedly managed to do a disservice to her cause of enormous proportion.
“For a long, long time to come, when a gay makes a legitimate complaint about unequal treatment or discrimination, there’s going to be a knee-jerk reaction among many: ‘Yeah, well Charlie Rogers said the same thing.’”
- Pokorny also ordered Rogers to get a “legitimate,” full-time job, not mow her friends' lawns while taking money from her parents."
“It is time to give up this Peter Pan existence,” he wrote in his sentencing order, adding that Rogers, a high school valedictorian and University of Nebraska-Lincoln graduate who earned a 3.7 GPA, shouldn’t have a problem finding work.
Now, he said, Lincoln residents can feel safe and know that masked men did not break into a lesbian woman's home and brutally attack her.
“Lincoln can breathe a collective sigh of relief. This is not a community where masked nor hooded men secretly meet to come out of the dark to terrorize and burn out those who might be different from themselves.”