- Tell me whatcha gonna doooooooooo.
- Thanks OP.
Haven't heard that in years.
- Pebbles was a bitch and ripped us off.
- Let's go a little further in the way-back machine.
- They just played The Men All Pause on VH1 Soul this morning. Another classic!
- The dreamboat in the video is Rudy Houston. He was in all the videos, like Janet Jackson's "Escapade". He posed for "Playgirl" and also played the brother in the Long Beach production of "Dreamgirls." He realized he didn't like being a man and had a sex change. True story.
- Girlfriend was a much better record.
- True indeed, R8. He was also in Janet's "What Have You Done for Me Lately" and "Nasty" videos. He had the sex change in the early '90s I believe, and now goes by Lana.
- Girlfriend was hot too, but I always preferred Mercedes Boy.
- Where's Bam-Bam?
- 'The Men All Pause' is so craptastic you can't help but love it, especially the spoken parts.
'Girl, I was lookin' FIERCE! I am TOO GOOD for these people!' LOL!
When Halle Berry hosted SNL a few years ago, she did a hilarious parody of Klymaxx.
- I was living in France when this came out (I know, Mary!), and remember the French DJs referring to her as Pebb-less. To this day, that is what I (privately) call her.
- What the hell is a Mercedes Boy?
It sounds racist.
I did like her "Giving You The Benefit."
- I'm with R15, always liked Giving You the Benefit. What's the story with Pebbles? Wasn't she married to LA Reid?
- He died of AIDS.
- Where did you hear that, R17?
Pebbles was married to LA for a long time. They have a son together, who was featured on an episode of MTV's "Super Sweet 16". The boy is SPOILED!
- Wow! There really was a black nerd invasion in the 90s.
It's like Claire Huxtable got funkay after a wine spritzer.
- Her cousin is Cherrelle, who first had a hit with "I Didn't Mean to Turn You On" and later became Whitney's crack buddy. Pebbles herself became a fundie Christian who calls herself "Sister Perri" these days.
- I had no idea that was her son. Was LA as overweight as he is one time, or did Pebbles just feed him too much.
- Cece Winans and "Sister Perri" praying for Nippy Houston during the 'Being Bobby Brown' days!
- I think LA was overweight for a time, but shed the pounds. I used to LOVE Pebbles' song "Always", which Cherelle co-sings with her.
- Pebbs was one of the background singers on Paula Abdul's "Knocked Out"
- I don't know why, but every time I hear the intro of Girlfriend I think of the credit sequence in Mad Men.
- [quote]I don't know why, but every time I hear the intro of Girlfriend I think of the credit sequence in Mad Men.
LOL, it's the violins...
- Rudy Huson AKA Lana is in "Girlfriend", too.
- I loved Pebbles! Catchy songs...my favorite is "Giving You the Benefit". Another beautiful lady. The 80s and early 90s had much prettier and talented ladies in hollywood for the most part, compared to what we have now lol
R24 Pebbles did backup on a few songs on Paula's "Forever Your Girl" album. You can especially hear her on "Forever Your Girl" in the chorus towards the end.
- Pebbles lives in her 1981 Mercedes in the Valley
- Praise Jesus, R29, that is a lie and you are a sinner! You are going to burn in hellfire, sinner!!
It's a 1985 Mercedes.
- R28 yes indeed and more black girls were doing well. Now it's just Rihanna and Nicki with Beyonce hoping for a comeback album, Keyshia Cole has a hit here and there...there is no constant female presence these days. Think about it-in the late 80s and early 90s we had Whitney, Janet, Jody, Pebbles, Vanessa, Karyn, Salt & Pepa and more.
- I preferred "Do Me Right"
- Wow, I didn't know that many people still remembered and loved "Mercedes Boy". It's one of my favorite 80's songs, although I never heard it as a child - I came to it in the early 2000's.
- I was about 12 when Pebbles came out with 'Mercedes Boy' and 'Girlfriend' and my budding gay self loved both of them.
Of all the black divas of the late 80s though, my favorite was Jody Watley. She had some killer songs that still sound good today.
- R15 no, dumbass. "Mercedes Boy" is a song about the "fly look and style" boys had in the Bay Area when she was in her teens/early 20s. I guess they had Mercedes cars too.
R18 , R17 is talking about Rudy Huston, not LA Reid. It was rumored he died of aids but there was also an alleged message he posted online several years ago saying he is totally fine and just living life.
- Girlfriend; Mercedes Boy; Giving You The Benefit; Always ... I love the 80s/90s and Pebbles was hot, but Karyn White was my favorite.
- Both of her parents are/were half black/half white. Pebbles lways was a beautiful woman:
- She always posed with this pouty look, not sure if that was her natural expression or not:
- Love this shot too:
- can't wait for her response to the TLC movie tomorrow. I'm sure she'll be in the news this week.
- I loved Knocked Out, Mercedes Boy, Girlfriend....Oh so many good ones from 1988
- What did TLC say about her?
- The TLC girls were on Wendy Williams this week to promote the VH-1 movie.
Wendy said she wished the movie dealt more with their battle with Pebbles and the way that she screwed them over.
Wendy wanted them to talk trash, but they mostly avoided slamming her during the interview. Chili did mention how as part of their final separation agreement Pebbles made them buy the TLC name from her for $3 Million (1 million for each letter in the group's name).
- "Knocked Out" is by Paula Abdul R41.
- Listen to T-Boz and Chilli's interview on The Breakfast Club from this past week (it's on youtube). The first 10 minutes or so is about Pebbles. Shady
- Pebbles' twitter which I expect will become active this week after the TLC movie airs tonight (last week she was ranting):
- Tell me what you're gonna do
- What a legendary and unique singer!
- How could you let him treat you so bad?
- People on twitter certainly didn't give her the benefit (of the doubt)
- I liked Karyn White better; too bad her career fizzled and she left the music biz.
Jody Watley was the best from that era of black R&B divas--IMO.
- R51 I agree Karyn was the best. She had the best voice (of her peers Jody, Pebbles and Vanessa), was gorgeous and could dance her ass off. On top of that, she had (and still has) such amazing natural hair. Karyn unfortunately declined when she made an album of mostly ballads...that seemed to happen to a lot of singers in the mid 90s who popular in the late 80s/early 90s. She's doing fine though-she has an interior decorating business and real estate investments.
Pebbles was the most business-minded of these 4, and that's why she became the wealthiest. She was very similar to Madonna in terms of going after what she wanted and getting it. In the same way Madonna convinced the label to give her "Open Your Heart" (it was originally meant for Cyndi Lauper), Pebbles did the same with "Girlfriend", which was originally going to Vanessa Williams.
- Karyn White singing live, dancing, and looking great.
Funny comment from the link:
"Wow, Karyn White is soooo FINE!!! She makes Beyonce, Lady Gaga, and Katy Perry look like a bunch of trannies! (Hehe)"
- Pebbles singing live - ouch. She looks great though.
- She must have spent most of her money. Isn't that one of the standard reasons why celebs "find God"?
- Karyn really was the total package.
I don't think Pebbles was that bad in that Apollo performance but she never was the best singer. She can carry a tune but probably only has a 2 octave range. Obviously Pebbles wouldn't have gotten as far as she did if she wasn't beautiful but she was a competent singer at best.
I think her live singing "Giving You The Benefit" on Arsenio was OK, but again not great:
- R55 no way lol she made a fortune. She co-wrote 2 of her biggest hits, and of course the TLC money. On top of that, LA Reid is the father of her son so she's definitely comfortable.
- She was wise to transition from performing to behind-the-scenes. She radiated stone cold bitch, which is nagl for a performer.
- I loved Jody Watley! She was my favorite of all the black dance/pop divas of that era. Her songs still hold up well.
- I believe there was a tiff between Jody and Karyn back then. Jody supposedly accused Karyn of copying her style. They were both pretty similar in style, hair, etc.
- And then came Ce Ce Peniston... for a minute.
- Karyn White was New Jack Swing though. If anything she was an upgraded version of Janet (much better vocals and prettier). Other than the long curls, I don't see much resemblance...
All I know is Vanessa Williams dissed her rivals back in the day. When she was promoting "The Comfort Zone" someone asked her something like how it would stand out from the rest. Vanessa snapped that she used different producers while "the other girls" (shading Jody, Karyn, Pebbles, Janet etc) all had either LA Reid & Babyface or Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis. Obviously part of that diss was probably her anger at Pebbles for stealing "Girlfriend" from her a few years earlier.
- Pebbles screwed The TLC girls...Chili slept with her husband though, so I guess all is fair. I love Karyn White...the song superwoman still brings tears to my eyes. Cool video for its time too.
- [quote]Karyn White was New Jack Swing though. If anything she was an upgraded version of Janet (much better vocals and prettier).
Um, no. Karyn is a looker, granted--beautiful even, but she was not prettier than Janet. Upgraded? No. The success of Janet's "Control" album made every debut album by all the women being named in this thread (including Nia Peeples) possible.
- If nothing else, Janet outsold everyone else listed on this thread. She could dance better too. Janet is curvy, while Karyn is rail thin...apples and oranges, and truly in the eye of the beholder. Karyn's voice kills Janet's though. She just wasn't as marketable.
- Janbot I like Janet, but Karyn is a much better singer and I think she was prettier too, and she was all natural. Obviously Karyn's problem was people saw her as a NJS girl, so when NJS wasn't popular anymore after the early 90s, the fans didn't buy her mid 90s ballads album (she can do ballads really well though). Janet never got stuck by the media or public in 1 style and her career continued to flourish.
- Excerpt about the song "Girlfriend" from that autobiography Vanessa Williams co-wrote with her mother called "You Have No Idea: A Famous Daughter, Her No-nonsense Mother, and How They Survived Pageants, Hollywood, Love, Loss (and Each Other)":
[quote]-a great hook and it screamed r&b hit. While we sang it through at the piano, a younger singer named Pebbles walked into the apartment. "Wow that's the jam," she said when I finished. "I know," I said. "No, that's the jam," she said again. "Yeah, I know." Hmmm, you know how this ended up. "Girlfriend" became Pebbles' first single from her platinum-selling album. Pebbles also eventually married L.A. Reid. They're now divorced and she's an ordained minister.
This book came out last year, btw. I wonder who else Pebbles may have pissed off during the 80s and 90s in the entertainment business?
- omg people on twitter/instagram iz STUPID! I'm dying at the pics and memes people have created:
- Thanks for this. Now I'm going to have this song stuck in my head all day.
Which beats the sound of my quacking co-worker.
- The trio version of Superwoman by Gladys Knight, Patti LaBelle, and Dionne Warwick shits on White's.
- R69 Pebbles is a shady businesswoman but her songs were quite catchy. A lot of her haters this week have drastically increased the number of views for her singles and interviews on youtube lol.
- Was Vanessa Williams not "established" when Girlfriend was on the table as a single for her?
- Funny thing is I always thought it was Vanessa singing "Girlfriend."
- R72 this was in early 1987. Both Pebbles and Vanessa were working on their debut albums at the same time. Vanessa was famous but not respected and people only viewed her as the the pageant bimbo who had those scandalous photos taken.
I'm sure Pebbles shared that sentiment and that's probably why she felt she could get away with pulling a Madonna on her by jacking the song. I doubt Pebbles would have tried that stunt on an established singer.
Additionally, Vanessa was pregnant so the release of her album and singles would have to be delayed until after she gave birth. This gave Pebbles the perfect opportunity to strike.
To add insult to injury, "Girlfriend" was Pebbles' first single and released later in 1987, with her album coming out at the end of the year. It was a sizable hit. Vanessa's first single "The Right Stuff" came out at the beginning of 1988 with her album coming out shortly after. Pebbles' debut album went platinum while Vanessa's only went gold.
- R73 Vanessa and Pebbles do have a similar voice, though Vanessa is smoother, polished and trained. Pebbles has a "rougher" and "more street" tone and never went to school studying music like Vanessa did.
- Vanessa is a modest vocal talent, but she's leagues better than Pebbles.
- [quote]The trio version of Superwoman by Gladys Knight, Patti LaBelle, and Dionne Warwick shits on White's.
Oh hell TO the no! And I loves me some Patti, but their version was no KW's version.
- I'd forgotten all about Karyn White. She was only popular for five minutes, and her music hasn't held up well.
- Wow wikipedia doesn't really go into Pebbles' personal life, but if you search online, there are tons of rumors about her. It is MESSY as fuck.
Obviously it's hard to know what is and isn't true, but a lot of it seems believable.
(first a fact, she has been married at least 4 times, including to her entertainment lawyer husband, Excel Sharrieff this year)
-she was a hooker in Oakland and dated a wealthy drug lord/pimp until he went to jail
-had an affair with a married, significantly older man (at least 20 years) named George L. Smith. He left his wife for her, they married and he was her manager. He also funded the beginnings of her solo music career with $80,000. She previously did back up for the group Con Funk Shun but Smith's money allowed her to record a demo and video for "Mercedes Boy" which led to her contract with MCA Records. The affair part is the rumor, but the marriage and him funding her are truths.
-she left Smith for LA Reid
-she has a secret love child in addition to Ashley and Aaron and it's by a third different father. The son is messed up and not on good terms with her. The rumor is his name is Tian McKissack and he has a facebook and youtube page. On his youtube page he claims Pebbles is his mother. On his facebook it says he went to Beverly Hills High School. Honestly his face kind of looks like the male version of Pebbles lol very believable. It's not known who the father is, as the son's last name is her maiden name (McKissack).
-after her divorce from LA, she dated r&b singer Mario Winans and helped him get a recording contract. Y'all remember his 2004 hit "I Don't Wanna Know". You know the name Winans right? Mario is the stepson of Marvin Winans, gospel singer and has appeared in Tyler Perry House of Payne. Marvin is the brother of Cece Winans, who became 1 of Pebbles' friends. Pebbles and Cece are in that now infamous Praise The Lord youtube clip praying for their friend Whitney Houston.
-Pebbles was briefly married to Otis Nixon (this is not a rumor). The rumor is she divorced him when he went back into doing crack cocaine, and part of her settlement was their multi-million dollar mansion.
- Otis Nixon was also married to Candi Staton - they've recently split. What's his background? Is he a musician?
- R80 Nixon is a former baseball player who has been addicted to cocaine/crack for many years. He has tried to kick the habit multiple times but keeps slipping up. He was a great player too. He also has his own ministry lol.
- I liked Jody the best, as well.
All were much more talented than Janet "let me lay some new lyrics on an older hit song" Jackson.
Shame she became the most famous/wealthiest since her talent was so minimal compared to Jody, Karyn, Pebbles...
- We need a Jody Watley thread,or a least one devoted to 80's-90's r&b divas
- [quote]All I know is Vanessa Williams dissed her rivals back in the day. When she was promoting "The Comfort Zone" someone asked her something like how it would stand out from the rest. Vanessa snapped that she used different producers while "the other girls" (shading Jody, Karyn, Pebbles, Janet etc) all had either LA Reid & Babyface or Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis.
Then she had a lot of nerve considering that a few years later, she herself was working with Babyface and Jimmy & Terry.
- Jody Watley was FIERCE, honey! She had some great jams in the late 80s.
- Too skinny
- Why was Jody's chart descent so rapid?
- Jody Watley had the longer (not by much) career of the late 80's R&B divas. "Friends" is a landmark song and the first major pop hit featuring a then somewhat underground rapper (Eric B and Rakim). Loved the drag ball vogue session with the half naked bodybuilders and the clothed rappers. You would not see that today.
Pebbles had great songs, but she always had this aloofness around her. Gorgeous, hot woman but *cold*. This kind of was displayed in the "Giving You The Benefit" video where she looks harder than she did in her earlier work.
Karyn White had the best voice and her earlier stuff with Jeff Lorber was way better than the early 90's MTV stuff she did. I notice that they just can't let good singers *just* be singers and not steamy sirens. They tried that with Chante Moore when she recorded the execrable "Straight Up" and even had her perform halftime at some bowl game with pop acts like Souldecision. She looked *really* out of place.
- Let's not forget the Tracie Spencer classic, "This House."
- R83 as you wish!
- Don't NOBODY say nothin' bad about Miss Vanessa!
- Bitch stole my name!
- Thanks, r90!
- I still can't at that Pebbles gossip. The boy (Tian McKissack) who claims she's his mother looks just like her with his nose, lips and expression:
- Oh fuck off, R82. Janet's CONTROL album made Jody's debut solo album possible, made Vanessa William's THE RIGHT STUFF album possible, made NIA PEEPLE'S album possible, Karyn White's, Paula Abduls's, Pebbles's, etc...
When CONTROL hit big, record companies scrambled to find the next dance diva of color. None of those women had that "it" factor the way Janet did. NONE of them.
- I will say Pebbles might be wealthier than Janet though. She has co-writing and co-production on her own albums, royalties from the first 2 TLC albums, and of course having LA Reid as the baby daddy of 1 of her kids means she made bank too. Plus, she was paid off nicely after the TLC/LaFace lawsuit.
- Vanessa's video for THE RIGHT STUFF was a veritable rip off of...
- ...Janet's NASTY
- [quote]I will say Pebbles might be wealthier than Janet though. She has co-writing and co-production on her own albums
Janet has been co-writing and co-producing on her albums since 1986. She was also at one time the highest-paid singer of all time thanks to her two landmark '90s Virgin Records deals, and has money from years of touring the world, multiplatinum albums, endorsement deals, a #1 book, making movies, running her own production company, having her own publishing company...and she's married to a billionaire. So...
- The superbowl incident doesn't explain Janet's declining sales in Europe during the 00s.
- R99 prior to marrying the billionaire it might have been close-Pebbles and LA made who knows how much money off the LaFace recording acts. Everyone knows the people behind the scenes make more than those in front. Obviously Janet's new husband puts her ahead, but I'm sure Pebbles is richer than most other female entertainers/industry people.
- Jesus H. Christ, does Janbot ever fucking sleep? Bitch is on this board 24/7. We can't have a discussion about any female artist without Janbot bringing her tired obsession into it. Go the fuck away, freak!
- R102, LOL!! So fucking funny!!
- [quote]The superbowl incident doesn't explain Janet's declining sales in Europe during the 00s.
No, but the fact that she nixed the European leg of 2001's All For You tour because of 9/11 flight risk concerns does. She didn't officially return to tour the UK until the Up Close and Personal tour.
- [quote]Jesus H. Christ, does Janbot ever fucking sleep? Bitch is on this board 24/7. We can't have a discussion about any female artist without Janbot bringing her tired obsession into it. Go the fuck away, freak!
I only appear when faceless numbnut lamebrains like R82 make silly, unwarranted and untrue remarks about her. So fuck you, very much.
- Janbot, just wondering, were/are you a fan of Pebbles? your thoughts on her? since you're in this thread.
- Janbot you are really into Annie Wilkes territory with your Janet obsession. You really need to step back and learn the difference between fantasy and reality.
- Oh yes, R106, I loved Pebbles back in the day. Not only was she gorgeous, but the songs LA and 'Face laced her with were pure jams. As for her ballads, everybody seems to go for "Love Makes Things Happens" as their favorite, but I'd have to go with the silky R&B jam "Always" as my favorite.
- R105 - Tell 'em all mama. LOL.
I agree with what many are saying. The late 80's, early 90's was such a good time for sexy black female dance/Rnb/Pop performers. Pebbles stuff was ok and listening back her music has aged quite well. Giving You The Benefit, Loves Makes Things Happen, Mercedes Boy were well made glossy songs.
I certainly won't excuse Pebs for what she did to TLC but I notice TLC never dragged Uncle Clive Davis and LA and Baby face for their financial woes. I mean, the Crazy Sexy Cool album made $75 million and each band member got just $50,000. Bet those names mentioned know very well where it went.
- But didn't Left-Eye have writing credits on CrazySexyCool?
- [quote]Janet's CONTROL album made Jody's debut solo album possible
Shalamar made Jody's debut solo album possible.
- The Janet Jackson 5 made Shalamr's debut album possible.
- [quote]Shalamar made Jody's debut solo album possible.
Shalamar made Jody Watley's recording contract possible. Unfortunately, no one was knocking on her door until "Control" hit BIG on the charts, and record execs were looking for that next Janet.
- Pebbles is a hateful cunt.
- I enjoyed Pebbles' first two albums, especially the second, "Always". That one is a time capsule of the LA/Babyface production style so popular in 1990. Besides Giving You the Benefit and Love Make Things Happen, it also has Backyard, with guest raps by Salt and Peppa, an anti crack song called "Save a Prayer" with Karyn White and Johnny Gill on background vocals, the beautiful sweet ballad "Why Do I believe" and "Always", another ballad, a duet between Pebbles and her cousin Cherrelle, who would later become Whitney's crack smoking buddy.
Cherrelle was another singer in the same vein of Pebbles, Karyn, Jody, Vanessa and of course Janet. Cherrelle was produced by Jam and Lewis and was best known for her duets with Alexander O'Neal. Not as big on the pop charts as the other girls, but she did well on R and B.
Jody Watley wasn't produced by either Jam and Lewis or LA/Babyface. Andre Cymone was her producer. He was also in The Time and like Jam and Lewis came from the Prince school. And I believe Jody was secretely married to Cymone.
- [quote] and her cousin Cherrelle, who would later become Whitney's crack smoking buddy.
Was Cherelle into women?
- Cherelle was great. I think she maybe the most overlooked 80's R&B diva with hits. She is probably best known for the "Saturday Love" duet with Alexander O' Neal, but she did the King Kong video version of "I Didn't Mean To Turn You On, later taken to the top of the charts by Robert Palmer.
- While I liked Robert Palmer's take on of "I Didn't Mean To Turn You On", I much preferred Cherelle's funky version. Jam & Lewis wrote and produced the track, and Mariah would also later cover it for the "Glitter" soundtrack.
- This thread is bringing back great memories. Cherelle's "Everything I Miss At Home" is an underrated R&B classic. Produced by Jimmy Jam & Terry Lewis with Alexander O'neal.
No one cares about En Vogue?
- I played the hell out of the cassette of her 1988 album "Affair". Loved the title track. Jam and Lewis recycled What Have You Done for Me Lately and it still sounded great, thanks to Cherrelle's vocal.
- Here are cousins Pebbles and Cherelle, taken in the late 80s:
- This thread is a sad reminder how R&B music has died. Gone are the days of the R&B divas. If you look at todays music, Beyonce and Rihanna are currently the only two successful black female artist in the world. What happened?
- I recently discovered Jazmine Sullivan.
- R123, hiphop and then hip-pop diluted R&B until recently. There was a brief return to "classy" R&B when neo-soul was at its ascendancy around 1998-2002. There was a pack of talented sisters who were pegged to crossover, like Blu Cantrell, Tweet, Sunshine Anderson, Kima and Res. Only Alicia Key's corporate soul broke through.
- Coincidentally all of these women have performed on SOUL TRAIN. I'll start the video trail with:
- Emeli Sande's success is heartening though.
- KARYN WHITE
- Lauryn Hill had a chance to continue to make good music but she went bat shit crazy.
- JODY WATLEY
- VANESSA WILLIAMS
- Sorry but I was never that impressed with Pebbles. She was just Jennifer Lopez with better producers without the Bronx accent.
- PAULA ABDUL
- [quote] Lauryn Hill had a chance to continue to make good music but she went bat shit crazy.
There was also that shady business about taking credit for others' work.
- Pebbles was never the best singer but she could carry a tune and had a distinctive voice that sounded like a rougher version of Vanessa Williams. It's hilarious they're the same age and came out at the same time, and of course the "Girlfriend" song stealing story.
- NIA PEEPLES
- Watched the Karyn White thing TVOne did. She's still a gorgeous woman. The new album tries too hard, but I'm glad she's at it again.
Pebbles' vag makes Madonna's and Patsy Kensit's envious of its ability to squeeze money, position, and knowledge out of all its occupants.
- ANGELA WINBUSH
- Did anyone buy the new SWV album?
- [quote]The superbowl incident doesn't explain Janet's declining sales in Europe during the 00s.
Her sales declined in Europe because she didn't tour there after 1998 for the next 13 years. Her focus was always America - the most important music market. Why do you think so many Europeans are desperate to break America?
I don't understand your point. It's not like artists have to choose between one market or the other. They can work both sides.
- Here is the video for Pebbles' Backyard. T boz and Left Eye of TLC have bit parts in it. This must have been shot after they signed with Pebbles but before Chilli was brought in to complete the group.
- lol Pebbles is crazy with her cryptic and spiritual tweets. Clearly she's still feeling the effects of an online smackdown. People her age aren't used to that sort of thing.
Pebbles @pebbles2day 6h
In this life many storms will come. However, even when you're faced with them... And the rumbling…
- Pebbles' music hasn't stood the test of time. People will remember TLC well after Pebbles turns to dust....
- I got a kick out of seeing Babyface getting down as one of Pebble's backup singers/dancers in this clip.
- [quote] got a kick out of seeing Babyface getting down as one of Pebble's backup singers/dancers in this clip.
He was part of The Deele, an R&B group from the late '80s. That's them singing backup for her.
- Oh I see. Thanks! I've never heard of that group. I was born in the late 80s but I listen to A LOT of 80s music, especially when I'm feeling down and want to feel better. But there are some obscure groups from the 80s that I'm unaware of.
- Babyface AND LA Reid were in the Deele. That's how Pebbles met them. Babyface and LA were working with the label for extra money as writers and producers and Pebbles heard their track "Girlfriend". They met and the 3 of them formed LaFace Records.
- Wow! I love the song "Two Occasions" but I had always assumed that it was just Babyface singing ( I suppose because his voice is most prominent on the hook). I love that song. It's a classic. Is LA Reid on the drums in this video?
- OMG I love that song!!! Reminds me of my 8th grade graduation dance.
- Who here remembers the song Roni by Bobby B? love that one
- Yes! I love that song. I was very young when I first heard it and had no idea what a Roni was.
- R151 yes LA played the drums in the band and backing vocals.
Speaking of Babyface, his younger brother was one of the lead singers of the group After 7. You might remember their songs "Heat of the Moment" and "Can't Stop".
I'm still shocked at Pebbles' pre-fame past. She is 1 cutthroat bitch!
Tabloids are now reporting she's suing the estate (aka the family) of Left Eye for the remainder of the money that is owed to her. Cold!
- Don't forget After 7's, "Nights Like This"
- My fave song by After 7 was "Ready or Not"--perfect quiet storm song of the early 90s.
- Can't Stop is the BIZZNESS!
- OK so the rumor that Pebbles is suing Left Eye's estate is totally false. Tabloids picked it up from a satirical site called creambmp.com which makes fun of black celebs. I can't at how fucking stupid tabloids are.
What is true is that Pebbles officially released a statement about the VH1 TLC movie. She linked it from her twitter @pebbles2day. Here it is (VH1 might get sued lmao):
- Fuck her and her crafty, sanctimonious vagina.
- People need to keep in mind that whatever Pebbles allegedly did she did over 20 years ago. People are bashing her like she did it yesterday. I also find it interesting how Babyface and LA Reid have gotten off scot-free in this whole blow up. It's not as if TLC were the only successful broke artists to ever exist in the music industry. All new acts get shoddy deals, that's the reality of the music business. In the early stages of an artist's career, the bulk of their income comes from touring. If you aren't writing your own songs, you aren't going to make much from album sales unless you reach the heights of a Michael Jackson or even a Madonna or today a Beyonce who has a lot of freedom to do whatever she wants with regard to her music. But even they make/made the bulk of their income from touring and endorsement deals.
IIRC, Toni Braxton was also associated with Babyface and LA Reid and she was very successful in the 90s and also very broke. So broke she had to file bankruptcy. However, Toni's predicament didn't arouse the kind of sympathy that TLC has garnered. Probably because a beautiful woman wasn't involved; therefore, no one to name-call and blame for everything that went wrong in Toni's life. It easier to bash and blame the woman involved and it doesn't help that she's an attractive woman.
I have no doubt that Pebbles was a ruthless, street-smart woman ( Poor Vanessa didn't know what hit her) who fought for what she wanted. The music industry is a man's game and Pebbles played that game very well and she didn't do anything that the men weren't also doing. But I don't think Pebbles is the devil. And keep in mind that we are getting one-sided 20+ year old anecdotes that may not be entirely accurate.
- There are a couple points Pebbles has that I agree with, but I do see TLC's side more. I don't think Pebbles is flat out evil, but certainly wasn't (isn't?) a nice woman. She grew up on welfare in the poor area of Oakland, California. Read the rumors about her a page or so back as well. I respect her for making it in the heavily male-dominated music industry but I don't respect all of her behavior.
TLC had a shitty deal and while that's common for new recording acts, it's NOT common to have your manager as the wife of the head of the record label you're signed to, and it's even less common for all of you to be represented by the same lawyer.
Toni Braxton also had a crappy contract at the hands of LA Reid. She wasn't managed by Pebbles though, so it seemed less shady than the situation TLC faced.
Basically, it seems like LaFace Records made a ton of money off their recording acts, while the recording acts didn't make as much as they probably should have.
I do agree LA Reid should be getting bashed more in the press but somehow he's escaping that, and I do put that down to sexism.
Both LA and Pebbles are former recording acts themselves, so they should have been more sympathetic to people on their (now defunct) label.
LA Reid has had to jump from label to label because he hasn't been able to handle business well. He's good at signing and developing top acts, but they always fall out over money.
- I don't like that Pebbles is getting bashed either, she was just like any other music exec, and TLC just told it like was. She probably could've made some better choices in the past, but couldn't we all. Im sure the backlash will die down eventually. LA Reid is the real nightmare.
Did both LA and Pebbles have weight issues? Their son Aaron who was featured My Super Sweet 16 years ago is still overweight.
- R163 Pebbles had her body tight and right until a few years ago, and has been up and down. Her weight is back down again, as seen by her recent selfie pics on twitter and instagram.
LA Reid was fat in the Deele, then lost weight.
Their daughter Ashley was fat until last year.
We know Aaron is a fat fuck (anyone see that pic a few years ago when a trick he slept with put him on blast as falling asleep after 5 minutes and took a pic of his bloated ass for the whole internet to see?)
LA Reid's other son Antonio Reid Jr is also fat but started working out this year.
When you're living the good life and can eat the most expensive shit every day, all day, it's hard to say no lol
- [R20], I still play Cherelle's Affair album. LOVE it! Didn't know about her and Whitney.
- Very disappointed some of my faves have been ignored. I was more of an Anita Baker, Regina Belle guy myself; but there were other singers in the mould of women mentioned here:
- But my favorite song of the entire era was by a guy: TONY TERRY.
- That Bobby Brown "Don't Be Cruel" album was the bomb! "Rock Witcha" was my jam.
- I love the song "Two Occasions" but LAWD, that video must have cost two dollars.
- Videos like this show why Whitney, Janet and that chic from En Vogue would fight over Bobby Brown. He was SEXY back then.
- Sybil - Don't Make Me Over (1989)
- Inneresting post R162. Good point about LA. He comes across as shady as fuck but TLC never say a thing about him. In fact aren't they signed to him currently? Haven't learned shit, if true. Pink called out LA years ago but more so from the manipulative angle rather than financial.
- I didn't like Sybil's Bacharac remakes. I did like her SAW single "When I'm Good And Ready".
- [quote] Pink called out LA years ago but more so from the manipulative angle rather than financial.
Do you mean on her second album?
- [quote]Pink called out LA years ago but more so from the manipulative angle rather than financial.
Patti Labelle and Janet Jackson also got burned by LA. LA even said Janet is the most difficult person he ever worked with, and that's saying something. I'd love to know the finer details about that one, but Janet's business is always kept very private. Patti told everyone that he ain't shit lol
- R175 I think so. It was on the song 'Don't let me get me' 'LA told me, you'll be a popstar, all you have to do is change everything you are'. Something like that. Years ago she had some MTV or VH1 documentary thing. She expounded on what she meant by that lyric. Basically LA wanted her to be this great white hype urban/rnb star. That was never her thing and she always had rock or pop/rock sensibilities. Obviously she got her way eventually but said for the first couple of years she was rail-roaded into being something she wasn't.
- But then Reid appeared in the video, mouthing the "you'll be a pop star..." line. I think it's more likely they collaborated on using the "disagreement" for press and marketing of Pink for her second album onwards.
- I have always found Bobby ugly. Even when he was young, uncracked out and trim.
- R173 yes they are. LA Reid is now the head of Epic Records and TLC's new album has been released by Epic.
On top of that, LA is a fucking coward. His son and daughter with Pebbles along with his other son (Antonio Reid JR) all spoke out against the TLC movie. LA hasn't said SHIT. That's his ex-wife and mother of 2 of his kids. Pebbles said in that interiew linked on the last page from a couple year's back that she and LA have a great relationship now...how can LA not make a statement about the film? oh yeah cuz he has TLC still signed under him.
He is a greedy fucker and all about the dollar. As shady a Pebbles was, LA is worse IMO.
- "it's NOT common to have your manager as the wife of the head of the record label you're signed to, and it's even less common for all of you to be represented by the same lawyer."
That reminds me of somebody. . .
- R181 and how did that relationship turn out between Donna and the Bogarts? Didn't she also sue?
- Damn, I forgot what a good dancer Bobby Brown was.
- TLC didn't have the balls to go after LA Reid so they go after the easier target, another woman.
- Also, do you see the hypocrisy and double standard? When a woman is a tough, assertive businesswoman she's a bitch, whore, and all kinds of names. While a man who is a tough, assertive businessman is simply a good businessman. Pebbles did exactly what the male executives did but she gets called a bitch and a whore/ho 20 years later by trashy people. It's disgusting.
- Agree, r185. Clive Davis was twice as bad as Pebbles ever was, but he never got called out on it.
- Exactly! And so many self-loathing women go right along with this kind of stuff. I know self-loathing is common among oppressed groups but it still angers me.
- I would say Vanessa had the last laugh.
- So Wendy Williams said on friday that the day she had T-Boz and Chilli on, her show called Pebbles and said they would send a jet for her to come on the following day to tell her story. Apparently Pebbles declined that and I'm guessing it's because she wanted to see the movie first. Wendy thinks it's because Pebbles wants a "bigger" interview:
- Despite being shady and near 50, Pebbles still looks damn good. She apparently likes to take a lot of selfies like those of us under 35 do lol:
- things are only going to get worse for Pebbles. The blogs are starting to investigate the rumors of her "secret son"...
- those gurls at lipstick alley won't quit lol I read there's a rumor Pebbles even had a 4th baby just a few years ago. That seems far-fetched but who the fuck knows at this point.
It's just a matter of days before the big tabloids start contacting her "secret son" Tian.
- Pebbles is scheduled for the Wendy Williams show this Wednesday. Should be an interesting chat.
- I love how Wendy is now the platform for black celebrites, even C list ones like Pebbles lol, to come air their grievances. Its funny because Wendy basically read Pebbles at r189, and Im positive she read her for filth on the radio back in the day. But they still show up because other talk shows don't give a damn about this shit that happened 20 years ago. Get it Wendy!
- R194 well, Wendy is on one of the biggest networks, not some random cable channel. You get more exposure by coming on her show than appearing on Oprah's OWN Network.
I'm sure Pebbles was looking around to see what her biggest interview opportunity would be, and also this year she's been working on getting her body back together. I expect "Sister Perri" to really turn out her hair, makeup and clothes on wednesday.
What the public will find out soon is that the Reid family (not sure if both LA and Pebbles are involved) are shooting a reality show about their family. All this negative publicity couldn't have come at a better time for them.
- While she's there, will Pebbles treat us to a trip down memory lane by singing a medley of Girlfriend, Mercedes Boy, and Giving You The Benefit?
- R196 it won't happen since most fans don't care anymore, but I'd love it if Wendy asked Pebbles about stealing "Girlfriend" from Vanessa Williams.
Today Pebbles posted this pic from the late 80s, and said Ashley is her "biggest protector". aww...
- [quote]it won't happen since most fans don't care anymore
Speak for yourself honey.
- R198 there was no mention in the press and hardly any noise online last year when the tidbit about "Girlfriend" appeared in Vanessa Williams' autobiography. A lot of people still have no idea she was originally supposed to sing the song.
- wow never saw Pebbles dance before. I realize on Soul Train they always had their performers lip sync, but still. It's a different side of her:
- damn, Wendy's people pulled that video at r189!
- R200, her dancing is almost on the same level as Joan Crawford in Torch Song. She does the same 3-4 simple moves. Pebbles was never a threat to Jody Watley when it came to dancing. STill, gotta love Giving You the Benefit.
- R201 ha! It was up at least until friday. I bet Wendy's people took it down because she's basically bashing Pebbles in the video for not taking the opportunity to appear on the show the first time they gave her the offer.
R202 I'm a fan of Pebbles, Jody, TLC lol I don't mind divas fighting though!
btw did y'all know both of Pebble' parents are half black/half white?
- Just found the "Backyard" and interview segments from that Soul Train episode too. lol at Pebbles trying to rock glam/street style.
- OK bitches! Here it is, Pebbles on Wendy. This is a good one:
- Pebbles is a stone cold bitch. It's a pity soap opera is dead. She could've killed on DYNASTY.
- Put this woman on The Real Housewives of _________. Now!
- I wouldn't want Ashley featured though. Her attitude is too stank.
- funny party is la reid profited just as much as Pebbles but never seemed as slimy.
was it a slam he was played by cockroach in the movie?
- That Wendy interview was EPIC. And Pebbles looks damn good. Can't believe she said a), she knows Chilli slept around with LA and b), per Pebbles, Tionne and Lisa kicked Chilli from the group!!!
- YESSS hunny, Pebbles was regulating them! I loled when she paid LA that moment of shade.
Chilli was quite the polarizing figure wasn't she?? All roads seem to lead back to her.
But all of this conflict goes back to Pebbles "referring" the group to the lawyers that originally negotiated their contracts with Arista/LaFace. That set them up to get robbed, and everything else was just residual effects from that. Im sure if they demanded too many changes to that contract, LaFace would've replaced them in a heartbeat.
TLC would not have existed without Pebbles though (like she will ever let us forget!) She had a unique position of influence by being LA's wife and a act herself. All of it was a result of everyone being in the right place at the right time. I know Pebbles had to fight a lot of dumb men in high places to get TLC to be a success.
- lmao check out THIS extended interview.
Pebbles was too much for Marc Lamont Hamill to handle lol
She also mentioned she's got a "G Code". Now what minister speaks that way? haha this bitch is hilarious.
- hmmm so Pebbles claims it was her idea for Toni to have short hair...interesting.
- wow...lipstick alley linked a site today claiming to interview the rumored "secret child" of Pebbles. The interview has a lot of pics of him and he really does resemble Pebbles. Additionally, there's a pic in there of an alleged FOURTH child. If any or all of this is true, I just fucking can't!
If they are her kids, why would she separate from them? How can any mother willingly do that?
Just shocking...if it's a big hoax then I feel sorry for her. If it's true...no sympathy for the public reaction. It's just a matter of time before the mediatakeout or bossip get a hold of this:
- Did I mention that I'm a visionary?
- lol R215 her ego is out of control. One would think turning herself over to God would have taught her humility. If you compare her behavior to someone like Denise Matthews (formerly known as Vanity), Pebbles comes off as a very inauthentic and disingenuous "woman of God/minister".
and boy oh boy that interview with her alleged secret son is JUICY!
- "I have Jesus in me. Hey, check out my Chanel handbag & my designer shoes!"
- The Huffington Post interview was wayyyy better than Wendy's.
While I have no doubt that Pebbles is a low down dirty dawg, she has a point that the likes of LA Reid and Clive Davis aren't receiving any heat for this.
- She just dodges all the tough questions Sarah Palin style. "Okay, let me say this..." (changes subject)
- [quote]she has a point that the likes of LA Reid and Clive Davis aren't receiving any heat for this
That's the part that I really don't get, these guys were further up the food chain and had more power to do something about their situation. I don't believe anything that Perri said, aside from Chilli sleeping with LA. I think that's why Tionne and Chilli have never tried to air him out like they did Pebbles because they were afraid that he would spill that tea. Well hunny, Sister Perri has spilled it!
That light-skinned boy does look like he could be Perri's son, but I don't believe that either.
- Chilli and T-Boz won't call out or blame Clive or LA because they're signed to Epic Records, where LA is one of the heads. Clive also still has a say in their older music too. I'm sure he owns part of it.
Check out the first 3:30 minutes of this video-T-Boz and Chilli respond to Pebbles' interview with Wendy lol I'm not team Pebbles but I do think Chilli slept with LA (and a lot of other people). Chilli seems like an easy lay.
- [quote]Chilli and T-Boz won't call out or blame Clive or LA because they're signed to Epic Records, where LA is one of the heads. Clive also still has a say in their older music too
yep this was the main reason. Well, when Perri finally gets her book together, I'll buy it. Just for the entertainment value. She is very grand, so Im sure her memoir will be as well.
- I really think, as street and hardcore as she comes off, Pebbles must have SOME truth in her. She claims to have paperwork to back up her story, and she's talking about suing. Notice how T-Boz and Chilli aren't considering suing for the things Pebbles has said? makes you wonder.
Chilli and T-Boz should know that a manager can only "rob" them so much if said manager was married to a label executive (LA Reid), who works under 1 of the most notorious music industry villains/thieves of all time (Davis). I'm sure LA And Clive made more off TLC than Pebbles did.
I'm a fan of both Pebbles and TLC. While I'm entertained by this dispute, I just want to get to the bottom of it and find out the whole truth.
- Clive can't have too long left. He's 80-something, right? Hopefully once he's 6ft under, we'll get a juicy piece of "fiction" about the shady deals of a top music executive - let's call him "Norman Crawford".
- I think the most Pebbles will get out of suing VH1 is getting that restaurant scene removed from future airings, where she says they got $25 dollars a week. That's because that "paperwork" she allegedly has will prove they got a bigger stipend than that. Other than that, I think it's all one person's word against two.
T-Boz said the attorney Pebbles "selected" for them to negotiate their original deal basically pretended to read their contracts because he thought they wouldn't be anything. T-Boz said he apologized, but that's really the person who is responsible for all this. After they skyrocketed to the top, they were still held down by that bad deal.
And I totally believe Pebbles about that "maneuver" to remove her from the group after they really started bringing in the coins. Old school tactics by "the man". Probably done by Clive Davis himself, even before her big divorce from LA. This entire thing is really just another sad case of young black people being treated like shit until the establishment sees they can profit off them.
- [quote] This entire thing is really just another sad case of young black people being treated like shit until the establishment sees they can profit off them.
And sometimes it's a Black establishment.
- I loved TLC back in the day. But youtubing their live performances... well, they were really more about attitude than raw talent. More of a studio act, I'd say. Their recent GMA performance was a mess.
- R225 LA Reid was one of the higher ups who also robbed TLC. He and Davis are more to blame than Pebbles.
R227 that is true. None of them were ever great singing talents, though Lisa was a great rapper.
Just a little interesting tweet from a few weeks back that I didn't find out about until today. Look what Towanda Braxton tweeted regarding this movie-I'd be interested in hearing Toni's view of Pebbles (keep in mind sister Tamar is signed to Epic Records, where LA Reid is 1 of the heads):
- [quote]None of them were ever great singing talents
Tionne's low raspy voice gave their music a unique sound, that separated them from the other hip-hop & R&B in 90s. Lisa was obviously the creative one. Chilli gave them just enough pop. Thats why TLC worked so well as a group they all brought good talent to the table which made them great.
- R229 yes, Pebbles really thought out the group well. She picked 3 girls who were all different but could blend together.
Anyway LMAO! In just 4 days, her Wendy interview has over 840,000 views on youtube! That is extremely rare for just an interview.
- Has the fourth "member" ever been interviewed - she was the third voice on the first album.
- R231 Crystal did give a radio interview after the movie came out, but 1 thing T-Boz and Pebbles agree about is that Crystal was never offered a contract and that she was replaced because she sucked at performing. Crystal's vocals are NOT on the first album. Wherever you got that info from, it's incorrect.
- Not Crystal. A studio singer. She's been named on LSA. I think she might be called Debra.
- R233, you're referring to Debra Killings. She's a wonderful vocalist, and was considered the fourth member of TLC because she sings backing vocals on just about all of their songs. Whenever there was a Left-Eye-less track ("Creep", "Red Light Special", etc.), Debra should have been in the video.
- What say you Kandi
- Debra Killings is one of most used backup singers in 80s/90s even early 2000's r&b music. All the r&b people know who she is, though most of the public does not. Backup singers often carry entire songs-when you hear vocals that don't sound like the solo or group singers, it's backup baby lol.
Pebbles did backup (along with Yvette Marine of The Mary Jane Girls) on Paula Abdul's song "Knocked Out" btw. Pebbles also got her start doing backup and co-writing with the funk group Con Funk Shun.
- Yeah, Pebbs did do back-up for Paula on "Knocked Out", and Karyn White also did a lot of back up, mostly for artists performing LA/Babyface-produced tracks (Karyn is on Sheena Easton's "The Lover In Me", which is an LA/Babyface track).
- Karyn White also did backup for Pebbles' 2nd album "Always". Not sure which songs she's on though.
- Some have claimed that Killings not Chili is on the first album.Is there a consensus?
- No, that is definitely Chilli on the first album. Debra can be heard though, particularly on songs like "His Story", "Shock That Monkey", "Bad By Myself" and "Something You Want To Know", but Chilli is definitely singing leads on all the songs.
- Pebbles is not done lol
She just tweeted:
[quote]Thank YOU for your support, love and prayers! I have much more to share and I'm NOT about to STOP...The truth is simple. This MESS not so much
then she posted the MLK jr quote "Let no man pull you low enough to hate him"
then a pic of a shirt with the words "iCreate. That's what I do."
finally a pic of Left Eye with this:
The coming weeks and months should be interesting lol
- boooo...crazy bitch daughter Ashley has at least for now, protected her tweets. I'm actually surprised, as her work needs social media (she's a photographer and radio host0.
I guess she's tired of rabid TLC fans writing her hate messages. We'll see how long she keeps her tweets private though.
This whole thing between TLC and her mother has seen her go from under 3000 followers to over 9000. That can't be bad for business.
- Ashley is a basic bitch to Pebbles' HBIC.
- Kandi kind of says the deal TLC had was pretty common (although I'm not sure most record labels have a manager married to an exec):
- wow over a million views in just 4 days. That is insane. Pebbles is basically the #1 topic regarding black celebs right now.
- It is crazy r245. In any event, its great business for TLC as well. This proves that group's work still has a lot of pull, if people are so interested in stuff that happened 20 years ago.
[quote]Their recent GMA performance was a mess.
LOL. I will not throw shade. They have been through a lot. Tionne is really lucky to be alive and we are lucky to still have her.
- Wendy made an excellent point after her interview with Pebbles. She said Tionne and Lisa must have wanted Chilli out the group, because if Pebbles knew Chilli was sleeping with LA then, Pebbles would've kicked her out herself without needing any convincing from the girls. That makes sense because Pebbles would not want to switch up the group members after she had invested so much time and money developing them.
Tionne, Lisa and Dallas must have found out about Chilli and LA's relationship then, but didn't tell Chilli that they knew about it, and kept it a secret from Pebbles as well. It also explains why Lisa checked out for the "Creep" video, keeping all Chilli's secrets only to have her sing about it!
Does anybody know why Usher and Chilli ended? Im thinking she cheated.
- R247 Usher is/was also known for cheating so they probably both did. Everyone knew that lustful relationship wouldn't last.
Do y'all know Pebbles is the one who introduced Mario Winans to the game? Yup, he's the stepson of 1 of the gospel Winans family. He was fucking Pebbles, she featured him on her flop 1995 album, and then he worked his way into the industry. Eventually he had that 2004 hit "I Don't Wanna Know".
- Chili wasn't enough like his mother for Usher.
- WHAT r248?! Gurl, all the skeletons are getting drug out the closet this week, damn! I LOVE Vicki Winans but I never knew her son Mario was smashing Pebbles back in the day. I guess she wanted some young meat after being with LA!
Vicki has been on Wendy before, Wendy should've had Vicki come out on stage to throw blessed oil on Pebbles for being a false prophet and doing all that sidestepping LOL.
- r249, gossip head Jawn Murray was also on Wendy recently and said Usher's mom is still good friends with Chilli. Go figure
- R250 lol well all I know is Pebbles is good friends with Cece. I don't know how things are with her and the rest of the family.
If y'all watched her longer interview with Marc Lamont Hill, she said in it that basically her and LA Reid started the Atlanta music scene. Does anyone here know if that's true? She said it "wasn't poppin' " until they got there, brought their people, and started looking for future stars.
- Usher cheated on Chilli constantly, and she knew it. She really loved him, and wanted to marry him. She put up with a lot of bullshit before she left him. My good friend knows her well (Prince/Minneapolis connection). My friend only had positive things to say about Chilli, so I have a hard time disliking her, even knowing that she slept with LA. He wasn't happy anyway.
- R253 explain Chilli's connection to the Purple One and Minneapolis? Wasn't she always in the Atlanta scene? and 10 years younger than him...
- R253 so you know for a fact that Chilli did sleep with LA? She did have that statement this week denying it.
How do you know LA "was unhappy anyway"?
tea please. I'll supply the sugar.
- kiiiii @ J.Anthony Brown. I like his segment "murdering the hits". He made a hilarious one about Ashley Reid, parodying the TLC song "Creep". His is called "She Read Tweets":
- One of the great moments of the 80s...
- R257 get that horrible shit out of this thread. This is about the beautiful and controversial Pebbles, not some ill-dressed crossdresser who is now begging people for money online.
- r254 - after TLC remade "if I was your girlfriend" Prince became a fan and was obsessed. Wanted to work with them.
- All this Pebbles/TLC stuff is made up. Pebbles is not suing anyone, and they are only sniping back and fourth to create buzz and interest in TLC. Guess who will make money off thier greatest hits cd?? Pebbles and TLC.
- R260 I don't think it's fake. Pebbles is talking about suing VH1 and even got her lawyers to make VH1 make a statement that movie is not in fact based on truth.
Anyway for anyone who wants to hear more Pebbles, she's about to be interviewed on "The Frank Ski" radio show. Right now they're playing TLC's "Baby Baby Baby" lmao. Link here:
- From this interview (according to Pebbles):
Pebbles mentioned again her "G code is real" lol
Left Eye was the only artsy, creative person in the group (not T-Boz or Chilli).
LaFace wasn't doing well at the time, which made her want to start a female group. Going to Atlanta was her idea. She always held auditions when she was recording act for backup people etc so she had an eye for talent.
She was responsible for find Rico Wade, who found OutKast and Cee-Lo Green.
It was her idea to sign Tony Rich.
(took a break, "Waterfalls" playing now lol)
("Diggin On You" up next)
Pebbles selected, developed and manufactured them. TLC is not a self-contained act. Pebbles says "visual stuff" including clothes and the "Baby Baby Baby" video were her ideas. It was her group and her vision.
Labels are like banks-they lend money, get their money back and then people can start to profit.
Her power was creation, and the lack of money wasn't her fault. They had a typical "new artist" deal. Her Pebbitone company was taking a lower production deal than normal. They had 100% merchandising from day 1 which is not normal. She never charged them for licensing because she's generous.
Pebbles says she never got a chance to renegotiate the TLC contracts before the second album began, as TLC refused to work wit her and wanted to deal directly with LA Reid/LaFace.
She again states she believes Chilli slept with LA but would not elaborate.
She understands some people won't ever believe her but she knows the truth and has done nothing wrong so she's going to move about her business. She questions why no one is talking to Left Eye's family about all this.
If she could do it all over again, she wouldn't sign them to LaFace. This tore her family up. Her "G code" prevented her from talking about a lot of things.
She tries to tell her daughter to not be involved but her daughter wants to stand up for her.
She has a hard time with disrespect, so she's not sure if this situation could be worked out with Chilli and T-Boz.
I wish Pebbles would just spill whatever it is she refuses to talk about...
- [quote] I wish Pebbles would just spill whatever it is she refuses to talk about...
She's waiting for a deal (book deal or whatever).
- Is it usual for artists to renegotiate terms for their second album? I thought multi-album deals were the norm before any re-negotiation is possible?
- [quote]Left Eye was the only artsy, creative person in the group (not T-Boz or Chilli)
Of course she says this, because Lisa is the only one that can't speak to us! And if she talks about her "G code" one more time...gurl bye. I hope her book is not filled with her going on about her G code and how she can't spill the teas.
And now that she says LaFace was tanking in the early 90s, it just reaffirms what Ive been saying. Everyone at LaFace got the "starter deals" because Arista didn't think they would be shit. They ended up at the top and they got robbed.
- R264 I think if an act sells way more than what was expected, they can renegotiate. TLC's first album was a smash and went platinum multiple times so they had more of a chance than other recording acts who are about to start album #2.
I personally don't think having a " G code" is anything to brag about. It's one thing to keep secrets of someone who hasn't done anything wrong to you but a whole separate topic if you're beefing with him/her/them. Listen, if someone does me wrong and then tries to slander me, I'mma tell EVERY-damn-THING on that person's ass. Fuck this "no snitches" shit. The entertainment business ain't the streets.
R265 definitely Clive and LA got all the damn money (along with BMG & Arista).
- Watching Pebbles in the Huffpo interview: she's like an articulate Beyonce. Fierce black woman.
- Whitney lived in Pebbles' house for 8 months when she was trying to quit drugs cold turkey, through prayer.
- Also, Pebbles was a bridesmaid at Whitney's wedding.
- "You've lied your last lie. And I've cried my last cry. I'm out the door, babe. There's other fish in the sea."
- R267 don't compare Beyonce to Pebbles lol. Pebbles is actually intelligent but also grew up on the street. Beyonce ain't too bright and grew up comfortably. Both are beautiful though.
R269 yes and standing right next to Pebbles is Cece Winans.
- Omg r269, thanks for that pic. That electric blue is killing me softly Nippy. Bobby is standing right in front of Robyn's face lol.
- Whitney and Pebbles hosting Friday Night Videos, 1990
- Aren't they all kind of hasbeens and just bitches now?