- Robin Mattson as in Heather Webber? I bet that was fun.
- She actually had a second career as a chef, didn't she?
- The only thing Heather eats are BLTs:
- She reminds me of a heavier Teri Polo.
- So who was a bigger bitch: Robin Mattson or Kate Collins?
- You're almost right, OP. Her cooking show, "The Main Ingredient," was on Lifetime in the mid-1990's. Yes, I watched it, and yes, she was trained as a professional chef.
I LOVE Robin, and much prefer her to Kate Collins in the role of Janet Green. The day they unwrapped the bandages at Greenhaven, and there was Robin instead of Kate...that was a daytime classic moment.
- Kate Collins was equally fantastic in the role.
- I thought Kate Collins was good as Natalie, and when she came back at the end she had some effective Janet scenes, but when she was playing both Natalie and Janet at the same time, her Janet was pretty cartoony. Robin did a better job fleshing her out when she was a regular character. Collins often seemed she was about to eat the entire set.
- I was about to say the same thing, r8, Kate Collins owns the role of Natalie, but Robin did a better job with Janet.
- She will always be Gina DeMott Capwell Timmons Lockridge to me.
- The episodes where AMC briefly overtook Y&R as the number 1 soap in the nation were the big reveal in 1991, where Hayley exposed Janet as Nat and got taken hostage as a result.
Great, great acting from Kate Collins who is just as talented and inventive as Robin Mattson IMO.
Btw, look out for Genie Francis as Ceara (the role ABC Daytime fired her from in order to force her back into playing Laura).
- r10, check out this absolutely brilliant clip between Gina and Keith. It had me howling in laughter. The script is BRILLIANT!!!!
- Robin Mattson and Jane Elliot on Donahue - both wonderful to watch and to listen to:
- Thanks R13
- Lovely scenes with Roger Howarth!
- "Don't dismiss me, Mr. Manning!". Thanks R15.
- Kate Collins' Janet was in the AMC tradition of over-the-top cartoony characters that command viewer attention, like Phoebe, Billy Clyde, Opal and Ray Gardner. I liked Mattson in the role initially, but the character was so watered down by the time she was written out, and the storyline of her marrying Trevor was so ludicrous and plot driven. I read that she was hurt that she wasn't asked to reprise Janet near the end of the show's run, but they really went out of their way to get Collins instead, including flying her out from Chicago.
- What was the real story behind that r17? Mattson is still a name in daytime while Kate Collins hadn't worked in nearly 15 years when AMC brought Janet back. Was Mattson not well liked by TPTB? Was Collins just cheaper?
- It was all very political, from what I read, r18. McTavish was HW at the time and supposedly hated Janet's redemption, which was penned by Lorraine Broderick in the '90, and anything associated with Broderick's tenure. There was some rivalry there. McTavish was coming off a major high with the very successful Bianca rape & baby switch plots, so she wielded a lot power at the time. She wanted the campy, maniacal Collins version, and what she wanted she got. I prefer Collins too, but McT undid EVERYTHING that Brodedick had done with the character.
- I liked Robin's Janet, but I agree with [R17], that they really watered down the character when they paired her with Trevor. They had an interesting dynamic when they had an uneasy truce going on, and Trevor grudingly admitted she had a place in Amanda's life, but they should have left it at that. Instead they completely reformed her and all she did was fold laundry and bake cookies and occasionally act as a sounding board for Erica. She was much more interesting as a kind of reformed schemer.
- Robin seems born to play the schemer.
- Robin's first soap role was ingenue Hope Bauer.
- r18, GH and AMC take place in the same world. Since Janet played by Mattson had a storyline with Skye played by Carrie Genzel, and Skye played by Robin Christopher had a storyline with Heather played by Mattson, people were getting seriously confused.
- I didin't know AMC and GH were in the same universe.
- Oh horseshit r23. Robin Mattson and Robin Christopher never had a scene together as Skye and Janet. I don't see how any soap fan could not suspend disbelief as much as they recycle actors on these shows.
- Heather was at her best when she was in the sanitarium sneaking out to kill Diana Taylor. Especially the way she tormented her roommate Sarah. Everyone I knew who watched the show just couldn't wait until Diana Taylor got whacked.
- I suppose everyone knows that Kate Collins' father is Michael Collins, the guy who orbited the moon while Neil Armstrong & Buzz Aldrin walked on it in 1969?
- R26 - yes, those were good times.
- Apparently, r25, you forget the whole Dr. Kinder story. Erica, Skye, and Janet did some pretty fabulous stuff together.
- If Kate had anything to say about it they did.
- LOVE that early Heather scene [R26] thanks for posting ... She looked great!
- She's had so many flawless characters: Janet, Heather….and especially Gina Capwell - her and Keith Timmons were magic together.
I kept hoping when Justin Deas was on Guiding Light that they'd bring her own (and she even played a GL character when she was younger) but it never materialized.
- Heather is just my all time favorite soap character. Especially her scenes manipulating Joe Kelley.
- "How'd you like me to break one of your little fingers". LOL. She is a terror ...I may have to start watching GH again since she's back on it. They don't write 'em like that any more.
- [quote]Apparently, [R25], you forget the whole Dr. Kinder story. Erica, Skye, and Janet did some pretty fabulous stuff together.
No I didn't forget. My point was that the two of them never appeared onscreen as Skye and Janet. Robin Christopher was not playing Skye at that time.
- I'm really loving her on GH right now! She's the only GH character I get actual enjoyment out of. But her, combined with the influx of OLTL characters (minus the unbearable Starr) are making GH worth watching again. I would kill for a story where Heather and Todd eventually become allies and bring Sonny/Jason down.
- [R29] that was Carrie G(something) as Skye, not Robin Christopher, in the Dr. Kinder storyline (I agree not a bad story). I actually thought she was not a bad recast, and she had a good adversarial dynamic with Adam's new favorite daughter, Hayley. Adam and Skye had such a disfunctional relationship and history, it is too bad they rewrote history and made her not a Chandler.
- R36. I had to stop watching years ago because of all the awful mob stuff. Ugh. Seeing Jessie at the nurse's station and Amy Vining gossiping definitely brought back memories of better days on that show. I'll have to give it a try and get caught up. Never watched OLTL, so dont know any of those characters.
- My Sincere apologies, r25/35. I swear to god, I read Your post a couple of times before replying, but I kept seeing character naames, where You used actor names. Your point is well-taken.
- R38 even if you never watched a day of OLTL, you'll probably enjoy the characters simply for the fact that they are not in the mob, or married to someone in the mob, or have children by someone in the mob, etc.
- Loved her on Santa Barbara. God, that was the best soap.
- "But there's one thing I must confess ...Sally was a man who wore a dress "
Lol ...loved this song ....bought it on a 45 when I was in Jr. High ...
This thread is a walk down memory lane ...
- "I've met brusell sprouts with more personality."
- Wow, Robin is working the FUCK out of those scenes in R15.
Roger is a strong actor and she is just blowing him off the stage. Damn, gurl! Get it!
- Oh what I could've done given half a chance.
- r25 - you are an idiot. I said that Robin Mattson as Janet played a story with Skye (played by Carrie Genzel on AMC) and then Robin played Heather back on GH with Skye's ORIGINAL AMC portrayer Robin Christopher back in the role.
Get that through your thick skull.
- r24 - you didn't? Were you suffering from amnesia when Anna Devane was police commissioner in Pine Valley or when Robin showed up at her door?
- Hilarious rumors of a Lost-esque gothic GH storyline involving the whole cast:
"Kimberlin Brown is joining GH as Rachel Locke, Heather's insane schitzo BFF at Ferncliffe. Rachel recognizes Sam as her daughter Livvie and McBain as the vampire Caleb, stalking them on the docks at night. Rachel claims that they have been banished as extra-terrestrials from their home planet of Lumina (where the alternative Port Charles exists)
Rachel is determined to kill Jason because she feels that he comes between Livvie and Caleb. She also has an obsession with finding the absent Lucy Coe, who she proclaims to have known on Lumina.
Wanting to keep Rachel under her thumb, Heather supports her theory that Lucy is the third part of a psychic triad with Rachel and Heather that will unlock a portal back to Lumina so she can take Livvie and Caleb home with her. Heather's abilities are able to contact aliens and Lucy has the power of seeing into the future, Rachel rounds out the witches' triad with the gift of creating emanations that can exist independently from one's body - together, their psychic talents can create superlative visions of another world.
Now the big story twist is that Rachel is not crazy and that it turns out that the alternate Port Charles IS a real place and DOES exist on the the planet Lumina. Rachel and Heather are under mind control by Cesar Faison from Lumina. Faison divulges that Sam and McBain are actually emanations of Livvie and Caleb that were created in 2003 in order to go to Port Charles on earth and retrieve the last crystal stolen by Helena that will open a permanent portel between the two worlds, so Faison can retrieve his muse Anna Devane. However there was an accident and only one emanation ended up in Port Charles, Earth - Livvie codename Sam McCall. The other turned up in Llanview, PA. Caleb Morley codename: John McBain! Faison tells Rachel that once the portral is unlocked, John and Sam must be assassinated so as not to upset the balance of the universe! Rachel is troubled by her maternal love for them."
- There's also a huge rumor that beloved soap icon Lynne Adams is joining the show as the new Lesley Webber, who will be back full time in a huge umbrella storyline involving the Spencers and the Cassadines. Can Genie Francis/Laura be fat behind?
- Why would they cast Lynne when Denise Alexander is available?
That sounds like just what you said: a rumor.
[quote] Can Genie Francis/Laura be fat behind?
- [quote]Heather was at her best when she was in the sanitarium sneaking out to kill Diana Taylor.
[italic]And[/italic] she framed goody-goody Nurse Anne Logan for the murder!
- And it was Alice who really killed Diana!! Alice's confession of the murder was one of the more brilliant scenes in soap history. Didn't know Alice had it in her. It used to be on youtube but I can't find it to post.
- found it ...just perfection. Robin and the actress who played Heather's mother had great mother/daughter love/hate chemistry.
- I'm probably in the minority, but I preferred Mary O'Brien's version of Heather. She was much more subtle and always seemed to have a certain nervous energy, as she was always on the brink of insanity, that served the character well. Robin played Heather as more of a caricature IMO. Here's a recent-ish Q&A with O'Brien discussing her time on GH.
- I loved watching Mary O'Brien's Heather go nuts after accidentally taking the LSD she'd intended to slip to Diana.
- Thank you R53.
Why did they change Heathers?
- Anyone know who played Alice Grant? Quite an accomplishment in daytime to steal a scene from Robin Mattson.
- Lieux Dressler played Alice.
- Didn't Cher's sister play Heather for a brief time in the 70's?
- R46 = still needs to go back and read my reply again. Completely missing the point.
- You're confused, r60. I wasn't referring to the fact that Robin and Robin never worked together before, but that their characters had at times when they were also playing OTHER characters.
- Robin Christopher as Skye on All My Children:
- Carrie Genzel as Skye on All My Children
- Robin Christopher as Skye on General Hospital:
- Robin Mattson as Janet on All My Children:
- I am so effing confused!!!
- Yes R59 Cher's sister was the first Heather. Mary was replaced because Gloria didn't think she could take Heather in the direction they wanted. Robin as Heather was supposed to be a short lived stay. Mostly just to wrap up the story. They weren't prepared for how wildly popular Robin/Heather became.
So she turned out not to be the killer of Diana so they could keep her out of jail and a front burner character.
They thought they were writing Heather as a creep and she would be universally loathed. Alas she became one of the most popular characters in all of soapdom.
- Don't forget about me, twats. I was the first, and I am actually Robin Christopher's cousin.
- Thanks R65 Robin as Janet has a lot of spunk.
- What, couldn't they get Elaine Princi?
- Fantastic interview with Kate Collins discussing Janet/Natalie:
- Kate Collins was SO good.
- Loved Heather the first time around. Now i only watch her scenes. The rest is horrible.
- I lurves me some Heather Webber.
- I've seen her as Heather too much. I'd be too scared to eat anything she cooked me.
- R76 you need to get out more.
- Best thing that has happened to GH in decades.
- She's one of the few reasons to watch GH right now. I also enjoyed her 2004 stint even though they rewrote some history.
- R79, saying they rewrote her history is putting it mildly.
A fascination with Luke? Where did THAT come from?
The current regime has no problem doing a little research. I thought Heather recounting the LSD iced tea incident with Diana was pretty darn good.
If GH were really smart they'd look up Susan Pratt and bring her back as Heather's rival Annie Logan.
"So...Ann... did you ever lose your virginity?"
- Why was Heather so fascinated with Diana?
- Heather sold her baby on the black market when she was near the height of her crazy. She told everyone she had a miscarriage. Jeff Webber was the father. She started seriously dating Jeff and they had planned on a marriage. So guess who ended up adopting Heather's baby? Diana Taylor. Heather wanted her baby back.
Meanwhile, while in the nut house, Diana and Jeff started getting close. So close that Diana made out a new will and left Jeff as the guardian of of her son(he had no idea he was the father. So Heather can kill to birds with one stone. Get her baby and Jeff.
That's really wrapping it up in a tiny nut shell. It was one of the longest story arcs ever and involved a lot more people. It really was soap writing and acting at its best
I remember at the time that Alice(Heather's mom) turning out to be Diana's killer was one of those Sixth Sense moments. Nobody could believe how clever the writers got. When that was revealed(in the above clip) your jaw just dropped.
- Thanks R82 - I remembered some of the story, but not all.. I was young at the time and would watch GH after school.
- r82 Ahh, yes. Great storyline. I'm sighing just remembering how intricate and involving it was.
And yes, in those days, storylines took their time. None of this rush to a climax in 12 weeks.
I remember it was over two years between the time Marco and Karen switched the babies and Jenny finally learning the truth on OLTL.
And Heather's adventures in the nuthouse were fun and long lasting -- traipsing in out out of Shadybrook most nights, worrying about Steven Lars, hoping to get Jeff.
Just part of the many things that made soap so compelling. In those days, you tuned in tomorrow because that was the only way to find out what happened.
- And one of the things that made Heather so great, then and now, is the writers never attempted to humanize her or redeem her. I'm surprised it never happened. A lot of times when a villain gets as popular as Robin did back in the day they would slowly rehabilitate them.
Fortunately no one ever did this to Heather. There isn't one likeable, decent, loving thing about her. Not one. That's why you love her. I'm really surprised the character of Heather escaped one of those redefining of a character stories.
- Lets celebrate Edward's impending demise with a another Heather/Sarah clip
- Robin has been cooking since the early GH days. She even had a column in Soap Opera Digest called Soap Kitchen.
- I met Robin once, when she was on AMC. Very sweet.
I liked her as Janet, but Kate Collins is my favorite soap actress ever. Her Janet was so original. Hard to believe she was never even nominated for an Emmy. She was basically AMC's #1 leading lady while she was on, and her storylines were among the most memorable.
- heather webber rules.
- Not only did Heather have a cooking show, she speaks fluent German.
- Her character Heather took LSD WHILE pregnant with Steven Lars!
- Another great Heather moment. Had every jumping up and laughing and applauding. Even though we weren't supposed. Was when Heather slapped Jeremy right in the kisser. I hated that kid.
- Thanks R91
- When was that R93? If they showed that scene today, I'd want a .gif.
- Hey Emily. It was during the Lassa Fever story. He was getting all panicky and wanting to go to Anne Logan. She wanted to appear all motherly to Jeremy because Jeff was his guardian. Finally, in true Heather fashion, she couldn't takes it no more and gave him a smack right in the kisser. Told him to shut up and he was getting on her nerves. He started to cry and she said he'd stop the noise if he knew what was good for him.
As everyone hated that kid people loved it. I'm sure that's not what the writers were hoping for but that's was the reaction from the audience. The writers didn't seem to realize that everyone hated that little four eyed fucker.
Ah those were the days.
- By the way, it was 30 years ago today that Susan Moore bought the farm. (Or so says a person commenting on the YT video.)
- Will somebody start a thread for Kate Collins?
- Only Kate Collins would do that. I'd like to buy Kate for what she's worth and sell her for what she thinks she's worth.
- r99 - is that you Robin?
- This is what that four eyed fuck Jeremy grew up to look like.
- I love Robin, despite the one-dimensional way her character is being written. I don't suppose Heather will be dead for very long.
- GH is unwatchable now and yet it has the most wonderfully dynamic cast. I can't watch them play this garbage though. RC is not a gifted writer.
- Robin Mattson would have been able to create a hell of a piccalilli, I'll bet. I seem to have lost my thread, can this be the replacement?