- She was in a show last year. It just didn't catch on.
She starred in 'The Chicago Code' last year, and frankly, was excellent. The show was one of my favorites, and it was a shame that it flopped in the ratings.
- How about her for Amanda's mom on Revenge? Might be fun to see her and Madeline Stowe go toe to toe.
- She can't act.
- She was just in a CBS pilot that didn't get picked up. She's competing in a demographic with lots of great actresses starving for the very few parts.
- She's been busy - had a pilot (didn't get picked up), appeared on Castle.
- [R4], not exactly. Looking at her entire career, she's been uneven. Beginning about 10 years ago with Roger Dodger, she's been doing good work.
- I love her. She was in Devil in a Blue Dress, with Denzel and Don Cheadle. Great movie. Cheadle steals the show though.
- She had a recurring role in Lie to Me.
- What R4 said, but then again, a lot of actors can't act and never stop appearing in TV shows and movies.
Beals looks incredible for her age. Isn't she nearing 50 or something? Based on her looks alone she should have had a better career. Maybe she is not all that ambitious...
- She doesn't look incredible for her age. She looks incredible, period.
Very sexy woman.
- Agreed R11
- It's always baffled me that she hasn't done better. She is incredibly HOT.
I agree she cannot act very well, but she is no less talented than an awful lot of more high profile actresses.
She's the most articulate gay-rights, female celebrity out there.
- She was brilliant in Last Days of Disco...a small part, but she was great!
- Beals is over 50 already, but still looks amazing.
- Half-black don't crack.
- ugly and has always been ugly
- She hit huge with 'Flashdance,' all those many years ago, and was supposed to be the next big thing. What happened?
- Isn't she an ironworker by trade?
- She's a skilled welder. That I know.
- Why do people always assume that actors just want to work, work, work? Sometimes actors take time off to tend to their families or have health concerns or hold down the fort while their creative spouse works, etc. They're not superheros. They have to manage their lives and careers like anybody else.
The question is always asked around here, "Why didn't so-and-so have a BIGGER career?" Maybe because they didn't want it. Maybe their career suits them just fine.
- So true r21, I remember there was a movement by her fan club to get her a star on the hollywood walk and fame, and she contacted them and said don't bother, she didn't want it.
I think she is doing exactly what she wants to do with her life and career.
- R4 hit the nail on the head.
- [quote]She was brilliant in Last Days of Disco...a small part, but she was great!
Brilliant? She was awful in that. Thank god it was a small part. I blame the director for her performance in that. I generally like her as an actress.
- Agreed r21.
- [quote]It's been perfect. I can still ride a subway and work with great people. I can't imagine being Julia Roberts. I don't have the fortitude to withstand that kind of attention.
From her IMDb bio. She sounds pretty content where she is.
- r21 = Winona Ryder, feeling a mite tetchy
- Loved her in Twilight of the Golds, with Faye Dunaway chewing on the scenery as the Jewish mother.
- Some ridiculously infantile replkies from some of your posters.
Lots of missed oppurtunities by the US T/V networks in not signing Jennifer up for a continuous series.She is a great actress and has a huge gay/straight following worldwide who would so love her to be given a decent part in a concurrent series.So hope she is soon back on our screens she is definately missed.
Carol B UK
- On Twitter as of Friday
- Awesome - thanks R30. I love her.
- She has the worst fashion sense!
- What about "The l word" she had an affair with Laurel Holloman?
- What about "The l word" she had an affair with Laurel Holloman?
- Jennifer Beals stars in new WIGS web series Lauren.
Lauren | Ep. 1 of 3 | Feat. Troian Bellisario & Jennifer Beals | WIGS
- She fucked most of the cast of The L Word and got herself a reputation. She was photographed adjusting her shirt coming out of Lish's trailer on more than one occasion.
- How do you know, r36?
- She and Vanessa Williams are always competing for the same roles.
- Well that proves it, r36.
- Thanks R35
- Sometimes she cries silent tears full of pride.
- I don't know anything about that R41. But she did take her passion and make it happen and now she appears to be dancing through her life.
- I'm just sad she doesn't do more vocal and dance work.
There is a fairly large contingent of women here in the Midwest who owe their entire 'look' to the Jennifer Beals of the 80s.
- Her performance in the Wigs series is really really good.
- Good one R43- I love you!
- True, R43. 'Flashdance' kicked off the (hideous) frizzy perm style that dominated the rest of the 80s, and it's a style that many a flyover gal still clings to to this very day.
- She needs to sell beauty products on qvc like Vanessa williams
- "It's always baffled me that she hasn't done better. She is incredibly HOT."
She's not that interesting or talented; those are the reasons why she never became a star. She was the star of "Flashdance", which was an unbelieveable hit (although widely considered to be one of the worst movies of all time) but she didn't get the role because of her talent. She got the role over other contenders (Demi Moore was one) because, after polling some male viewers, it was decided that she was the one that most men would want to fuck.
God, "Flashdance" was a piece of shit. Her character was a welder (by the looks of it she lives in a warehouse) by day and a stripper/dancer at night, but her dream was to become a BALLET dancer! Ballet dancing takes years of rigorous, demanding, punishing training that begins during childhood; her character is in her late teens or early twenties and knows nothing about ballet dancing but when she auditions for ballet school (her audition features no ballet dancing) her observers are bowled over by her leaping and writhing around.
The dance sequences are funny as hell. It's obviously NOT Jennifer Beals doing the dancing and leaping into the air; in fact, the break-dancing is done by a GUY! That got some flak I recall, that the dance sequences were fake.
- I don't understand her appeal.
- Aside from the fact that she is not a very good actress, she doesn't seem to be able to physically transform for a part. Not only that, but she looks the same off and on camera. It's bizarre for an actor to be so stubbornly "the same."
- The only thing people remember from Flashdance is the title song. Even the Charlie Brown spoof, "Flash Beagle" is better known
- "She was the star of "Flashdance", which was an unbelieveable hit (although widely considered to be one of the worst movies of all time) but she didn't get the role because of her talent. She got the role over other contenders (Demi Moore was one) because, after polling some male viewers, it was decided that she was the one that most men would want to fuck."
Hi, Demi! Sour grapes is not your color, hon.
Jennifer Beals is gorgeous. There is no denying that. She's talented enough to act more. For God's sake, Sarah Jessica Parker, Drew Barrymore and Jennifer Aniston continue to act, but they are no more talented, and you could argue they are less talented. Aside from that, however, I had read that J. Beals got married to a fairly successful director and lived a normal life, acting when she felt like it. There's nothing wrong with that. In fact, the idea that she never wanted to be the center of the viewing public's attention is rather refreshing. Good for you, Ms. Beals. Still waiting for Flashdance 2, but would like to see you play a Mommie Dearest-type to an aspiring dancer daughter. You could tear that role up!
- She was good on The L Word and in Lie to Me.
- R52 here. If R48 isn't one of the actresses who lost out to Beals, it may be Roger Ebert. I never understood his hatred of this film. He really seemed to go out of his way to despise it, and he usually liked movies with women in various states of undress. (Although I always believed he was really a closet queen.) Maybe he felt HE should have played the role of Alex in "Flashdance"? That would have been something to behold!
- I just want to know if she is a closet case.. and who she fucked?!
- Dawn Steel from Paramount?
- She has no demographic (other than lesbians). She's (does not look) not 100% white, she does not recognize her black heritage...no demographic to support her arse.....
- Why would anyone hire a decent actress whose looks have held up well when they could hire one of a slew of her contemporaries who are brilliant actresses whose looks have held up well?
She is underrated. She is incredibly beautiful inside out and a very moving actress.
- She has joined the cast of the Mob Doctor playing a Carmela Soprano type mob wife.
TPTB hope the signing of Beals to stir up trouble will boost the ratings, like Heather Locklear did on Melrose Place.
They need a pot stirrer and hope Beals will be it.
- Lucy was originally offered the role of Alex Owens in Flashdance. Gary talked her out of it. He convinced her that wearing all those torn shirts would ruin her glamor girl image. It's too bad. Lucy started out as a hoofer and updating her onscreen dancing would have brought her a whole new generation of fans.
Jennifer has a nice voice too...
She's doing her own singing in 'They Shoot Divas, Don't They'
The second song she sang for this movie is this one...
- I find her very underrated. After the L Word she should star in great movies. I wonder what happened? Maybe she has other priorities in her life, anyway. She seems a very caring and thoughtful woman. I like her and respect her a lot.
- A kind, understanding and clever woman. She is very right with a gentle way in her interviews.
She seems to be a considerate and sincere person.
- Beautiful, talented, spiritual and a good person
Your face is light Jennifer Beals
- She makes the difference. I like a lot of actors and actresses and i feel that Jennifer is very special. Actually a lot of old actors are talented and gifted, but Jennifer Beals is also a person that seems to be genuine, humble, intelligent and with a wise good heart. She stands out.
- A lot of younger women who were babies when Flashdance came out are fans of hers because of the L Word (which was very popular with straight women).
- Actually, i'm not very impressed by 'Flashdance', although i think that Beals was great in it and i liked the soundtrack. However, the movie was not... enough. But i'm still glad i have seen it. You liked it?
- The L Word
Devil in a Blue Dress
The Book of Eli
In the Soup
The Anniversary Party
Mrs.Parker and the Vicious Circle
Jennifer has played in some really good movies. All the above are performances of hers that i appreciate a lot. She is really nice!
- I really liked her on the Chicago Code. Too bad it didn't get a full season pick-up.
I follow her on Twitter and I get the feeling she is really smart. She seems to have scientific curiosity.
And I can't believe she's almost 50! God did her up good!
- She twitters really?
She contradicts herself then! However, i'm pretty sure than unlike most people who are on Twitter, she is meaningful and sincere.
- Give it a rest r72. No matter how 'gentle and sincere' she is, she ain't gonna fuck your dyke ass. Move on.
- ; )
- Jennifer Beals is deserving.
I have no doubts about that. What do you think of her guys?
- From her twitter account
Do I contradict myself? Very well, then I contradict myself, I am large, I contain multitudes.
Had to go find it after it was mentioned here. Love the humor.
- R48 is so right. Flashdance was a piece of shit with a ridiculous plot. it was, however, a marketing phenomenon. Decent soundtrack, for the times anyway. It was a hit mainly because it essentially spliced together music videos to the soundtrack. I was a teenager in the 80s and the soundtrack was a huge hit. It definitely made the movie more popular than it should have been. Quintessential 80s marketing idea attached to the movie. Jennifer Beals is beautiful and her images in the videos bolstered their popularity. Every girl in my school adopted the sweatshirt-sliding-off-the-shoulder look.
I always thought the movie sucked, even as a teenager, but I had a crush on Michael Nouri who played her boss. I had fantasized about him ever since he played Dracula in a flop TV series call Cliffhangers. Thanks to Flashdance, I had even more fantasies after that.
- I hope we'll get to see her in a brilliant movie.
She has proved to us that she can be outstanding.
- She is beautiful and inside and it seems so, that's what makes her irresistible.
- Yikes, r59. You seriously have a crush in her.
- I know who you are R81...despite your hiding away.
You stalked me before, you think i didn't noticed that?
Don't be so creepy, ok?
You scare me!
I love beautiful people who have offered their soul and their body to art.
Get over your....whatever possessed you to stalk me.
- I get the feeling she doesn't care about stardom. She is one of the most classy and beautiful actresses, maybe because she isn't overexposed. I think she would be a much bigger star if she was white.
- I know she is mixed and all, but she looks like a White woman to me. I don't think her being half-Black has anything at all to do with her low-key fame.
- I don't either, R85. She does look white, and often plays roles that are obviously written with white women in mind (only white actresses auditioned for "Flashdance"--including Demi Moore, and she played white in "Devil in a Blue Dress"). She is gorgeous and almost looks the same now as she did in "Flashdance".
- What gay men feel about Jennifer Beals? Seriously i want to know!
- She is awesome, can they see that?
- A thoughtful beauty. A cool breeze as well...
- She is the opposite of ugly.
- Her career needs a boost cause she is damn gorgeous.
She deserves to be in great movies, cause she is awesome!
- I love that she is a nerd always posting about science etc on her twitter.
- I like a lot Jennifer as you can guess but i don't have the patience to explore Twitter. So as it comes to Miss Beals, i prefer reading her interviews or seeing her movies. I don't find Twitter very handy but i recognize the fact that i belong to the minority. Most people find Twitter awesome.
Really, she loves posting about science?