- At what, dear?
- They were both voluptuous, stunning beauties at their peak. Raquel is still a stunner nowadays.
- Acting, Singing, Star Power, IT Factor, Glamour....you name it, it's all part of the question.
- Looks- Welch
Looks, talent, stardom, fucked Elvis- Margret.
- Ann-Margret can dance, sing and act--Raquel Welch can only do those things a tiny bit.
A-M is a sweetie pie; RW is an insecure harpy.
In their heyday, A-M had the better ass (she had the best ass in the Sixties, period); R-W had the better breasts and overall body.
Grandma Olsen in Oslo
- Do we have to choose? They're both fabulous.
- Raquel Welch
- The brilliance of RW's dancing
- Ann-Margret has has quite a few nominations (Oscars, Emmys and Golden Globes) and wins (Golden Globes and Emmy) versus Raquel's one Golden Globe win.
- Welch always was and still is a horrible person. Ann-Margret grew out of it.
I'd vote for Ann-Margret being better at almost everything than Welch, including pretending to be Ecuadorian, if she should choose it.
- Ann- Margret was brilliant in TV productions of A STREETCAR NAMED DESIRE, THE TWO MRS. GRENVILLES and WHO WILL LOVE MY CHILDREN?
- They're both spectacular. I prefer Ann-Margret.
- [quote]Welch always was and still is a horrible person. Ann-Margret grew out of it.
Ann-Margret grew out what? Don't you dare say a horrible person. There may not be another star in Hollywood that has the reputation for being the nicest, sweetest person.
- Ann can act, but looks wise, fell apart
Raquel can't act , but still looks spectacular
- I'd assume what R12 meant is that A-M grew out of her typecasting as a mindless sex kitten, a characterization that was basically an affront to women in general.
A-M evolved from that into a respected actress, an evolution we would have all liked to have seen from Marilyn Monroe. I think the difference between A-M and Marilyn was very much the men they became involved with, and ultimately their inner strength, or lack thereof.
Welch never really evolved. Her greatest talent was always will be her cheekbones, fabulous hair, legs, and tits.
- Ann is the better actress. Barbara Stanwyck saluted her at an awards show one year, calling her superb. Tina Turner has said Ann was a major influence on her career. You can't get better than that.
Raquel is the lesser actress, but she isn't that bad. She held her own on Broadway in WOMAN OF THE YEAR and VICTOR/VICTORIA. Most of today's actresses would be lucky to have a career like hers.
- I could sing and dance better than both of them. Looks and acting - not so much.
- AM gave a really surprising, skillful performance in CARNAL KNOWLEDGE (even Candy Bergen is pretty good in it) as well as the projects R13 mentioned. Too bad I hated a lot of the rest of that film.
I can't think of any situation where I'd describe Raquel as skillful or surprising.
- Tawny Kitaen was the modern-day visual embodiment of both of them.
- RW can sing and act. I also liked her sassy attitude more than AM's.
- Good Lord no, R21
- A-M was in a recent L&O SVU and though she chewed the scenery to pieces she did a fabulous job.
- [quote]Tawny Kitaen was the modern-day visual embodiment of both of them.
Isn't she the Whitesnake girl who went all apeshit on her sports star hubby with her stiletto?
- They're both good and fabulous, does everything have to be a competition with DL-ers?
- For me, Raquel Welch's defining role was as Lust (one of the 7 deadly sins) in "Bedazzled" (1967, starring Peter Cook as the devil & Dudley Moore as a modern Faust). She was excellent, but it was pretty much a matter of looking the part.
Ann-Margret is equally beautiful & far more talented -- she can sing, dance, & act in both comedy & drama. Being a nice person is extra, but she seems to have a lot more of that quality too.
- I did enjoy Raquel in LAST OF SHEILA, and she looks fabulous.
But Dyan Cannon steals the movie from under her.
- Ann-Margret all the way!
- Yes, R25. She was also in Bachelor Party, Witchboard, and lots of other TV shows and B-films.
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-ppA-zTRNVcw/Tp2pp-adWQI/AAAAAAAADgo/XIm_J4KcWb4/s1600/whitesnake here i go again.jpg
- Ann-Margret finally won her long overdue Emmy for that episode of L&O last season and the audience gave her a deserved standing ovation. Everyone in Hollywood knew it was criminal that she hadn't won decades before for her multiple extraordinary performances on television. And Raquel Welch ludicrously won her Golden Globe for The Three Musketeers, beating out Lucille Ball for Mame - a travesty on par with Pia Zadora's ridiculous win shaming the Hollywood Foreign Press for years afterward.
- What did Zadora win for? That "Lonely Lady" shit? She was always a joke and it was rumoured her hubby bought her the award.
- "Ann-Margret can dance, sing and act--Raquel Welch can only do those things a tiny bit."
You think Ann-Margret can sing? She sounds absolutely shrill here:
- [quote]You think Ann-Margret can sing? She sounds absolutely shrill here:
You're basing her singing off the sound quality of a YouTube video? Idiot, that's an iconic scene and she had men all of the world sitting with hardons in theaters in 1963 for two hours. She should have won for "Tommy" (she won the Golden Globe that year) because as good as Louise Fletcher was, Nurse Ratched is a supporting character.
- can't find a clip, but RW was a a host for one of the earliest SNLs. She performed the Carpenter's song Superstar in her opening monologue, and was joined by Belushi in Joe Cocker persona.
- I think Ann-Margret's performance in the opening scene of "Bye Bye Birdy," where she sings the theme song into a wind machine, is an iconic moment in pop culture similar to that of Marilyn in her white dress over the subway grating. A-M excited a lot of people for a long time. RW? Eh, not so much.
- R37 - agree that it is an iconic moment - it even was discussed in Mad Men.
Still, RW has had her own iconic films, including Fantastic Voyage and One Million Years BC.
- That ungrateful bitch Welch took my sloppy seconds on Broadway--but nevah my High Point!
- Welch was critically acclaimed for her performance in The Legend of Walks Far Woman.
- This is not even a fucking contest. AM for the win.
Not that RW is so bad. She is the best looking 70-year old woman in the world. But she doesn't compare to AM.
- R35, it's not just the YouTube quality. She sounds shrill on the DVD, too. They even joke about it on "Mad Men."
THE PLEASURE SEEKERS!!
- I love you R39!
- [quote]She is the best looking 70-year old woman in the world.
I'll say. What is her secret? She still looks really sexy, on camera. Granted, I'm sure it's in pre-arranged lighting, the best makeup artist in America having slaved over her for two hours, and her own regimen of beauty and health. The hairstyle is perfect. Damn girl, you can still turn heads.
- Raquel on The Muppet Show.
Enjoy. 1:07 or so is especially fun.
Ann Margaret is a lovely person and a talented gal. Raquel not much of either one.
- Welch actually did well in movies like "Mother Jugs and Speed" and "Wild Party." She showed some range in "Kansas City Bomber" and surprisingly put some subtext into the character. But I agree that her icon status stems almost toally from her looks. The bikini shot from "One Million Years BC" remains spectacular.
I love A-M but there's something about her live performances that seem like she's begging for love, for attention, for help. Similar to Liza Minnelli.
- Raquel Welch was really fun in 3 MUSKETEERS, r32. I can't believe that ANYONE believes that Lucille Ball wasn't the horror of all horrors in MAME. My mother and I saw MAME and THE EXORCIST back-to-back, one night and then the next night, in northwestern New Jersey the year both films came out, and we agreed: Lucille Ball was more horrifying in MAME than anything Linda Blair could ever have done in THE EXORCIST.
Raquel deserved her Golden Globe.
That said, my vote is as follows:
Ann-Margret, duh. Who could possibly ever say that Raquel Welch has more charisma than Ann-Margret? A-M is miles more magnetic.
- R46 - a lot of fun, though I am not crazy about the perm on her.
- More of a Raquel fan, but both seem messed up in their later years. AM always seems to be fighting some internal demons, and Raquel frequently gets cited as the nastiest, most humorless bitch.
- Bitches have nothing on me.
- I saw A-M at the top of her form in Vegas at the MGM Grand. I think it was post-fall where her husband had gotten her back onstage as soon as she healed. She put on an amazing show. She sang with herself with 3 giant video screens that dropped down behind her (a marvel at the time), and her dancing of course was spectacular, in all those Bob Mackie gowns. I admired her talent and tenacity.
Raquel Welch doesn't move her arms when she tap dances. It's very distracting.
- Love Ann-Margret in the movies....except for NEWSIES...her career as a Hot Box had ended a few decades before the filmed that.
Saw her live in the BEST LITTLE WHOREHOUSE IN TEXAS tour, and she barely moved from one place to the other and seemed sort of....well...embalmed....
But she's terrific in all of those rock and roll freak out dances in movies of the 60's.
VIVA LAS VEGAS will always be my favorite...along with...as mentioned her singing of the title song at the beginning and end of Bye Bye Birdie.
Raquel....not so much. Her best work was in her still photographs.
- A-M was great as Roy Scheider's wife in "52 Pickup". She and Roy were middle aged by then, but were both still hot.
- The classic fight between Jack Nicholson and Ann-Margret from Carnal Knowledge
- Raquel was a riot in C.P.W., and looked in-freaking-credible!
- Love both of them but Raquel is #1.
- C.P.W. was looking for a 'Joan Collins' type and hired Raquel.
Why didn't they just hire Joan?
- AM wearing some BM.
- Thanks r56 AM had a very nice chest.
- Both fab but I'd give it to A-M by a cunt hair.
- I met Ann-Margret. We shook hands and she had on a huge and I mean huge ring that I guess would have been termed a "cocktail ring". It was shaped like a kite and was filled with diamonds. Very impressive. I look and said wow and she giggled and said she I was sweet.
- AM is just a child compared to Rakwell. AM is more talented and has held up much better than Racclewelch.
- "She's cute enough. But no real woman would ever play this part."
- R.. who I smoked her @ 80
- Yes, that is a mustacheless Tom Selleck in the Myra clip with Mae. It was his and Farrah Fawcett's first picture.
- Ann-Margret is a lovely woman. I worked for her a number of years ago. I still get Xmas and birthday cards from her and Roger Smith.
- I believe that Ann Margaret has never been given her due as an actress.
- They are both terrific and mesmeric to me.
I feel that Ann-Margret has had the perfect career - a tremendous cult following and work she can be proud of. Her greatest role was in Return of The Soldier with datalounge fave Glenda Jackson and Julie Christie. If you thought Streep could disguise her appearence, wait til you see Ann-Margret in that film. Absolutely brilliant. She is a total artist. Marilyn, had she lived, would have had a similiar career IMO and ultimately done some terrific television work where she could shed her iconography.
Raquel, being so beautiful, was never going to be given the respect or the roles she was capable of. I consider her more in line with Louise Brooks in terms of untapped potential. Say what you want about Marilyn, but part of her legend is the fact that she was so undervalued as a performer but when it comes to Raquel, I think people just don't consider her capable of anything highbrow, period.
Had Sharon Tate lived, she would have suffered the same fate as Raquel, career wise.
So, once again, let me recommend the film The Return of the Soldier if you want to see the three most successful female actresses of the TWENTIETH CENTURY together - Ann Margret, Glenda and Julie. When I state successful, I don't mean box office but integrity of work and craft and avoidance of the dreadful and disturbing downsides of fame and glamor. The kind of integrity that will see those three enjoy a career renaissance long after they have left us.
They have after all enjoyed the career that Marilyn so wanted for herself, even if they will never rival her legend.
Lindsay Lohan could learn a hell of a lot from Ann-Margret. I'm telling you.
Let us congratulation Ann-Margret on truly making it and give our sympathy to Raquel for still being undermined and underestimated.
- That might be, R53, but Raquel was the best thing about the Tony-award winning "Scarsdale Surprise".
- Love your post, r70.
- Ann-Margret. No doubt.
- Talent = A-M. (BTW, MEN went to see "Bye, Bye, Birdie"? It was a TEEN movie.)
Iconic photo = RW, "One Million Years B.C."
- In terms of talent Ann-Marget trumps Raquel Welch without a doubt. Ann-Marget has the widest range of talent and she can still bring it or she would not have done as well with her really cool and camp one off role on "Law and Order SVU" last year.
As a Lesbian, I think Raquel Welch and Ann-Marget are and were equals in terms of beauty and sexiness. Raquel Welch had the far more ripe figure back in the day because she is half Bolivan after all and a fair amount of Bolivan ladies are known for that. However, Raquel Welch's beauty and sexiness is more static whereas Ann-Marget's is more fluid.
I worked with Raquel a few years ago on a short lived TV series. She did her own makeup and hair, and it wasn't too hard to light her well. And the fabled diva behavior? Gone. She had fractured her ankle on a Friday, and was back at work on Monday, wearing high heel wedges no less.
Her secret? She has a very good plastic surgeon.
- From TMC's website...
One famous behind-the-scenes Bye Bye Birdie anecdote that continues to circulate today is Maureen Stapleton's legendary comment at the film's wrap party. After the producer, the director and Dick Van Dyke all made speeches and personally singled out Ann-Margret for individual praise, Ms. Stapleton allegedly stood up and said, "Well, it looks like I'm the only one on this picture who didn't try to fuck Ann-Margret."
In her autobiography Hell of a Life, Stapleton sets the record straight once and for all: "I hate to disillusion anyone, but that's not what happened. Actually, we were at a party at somebody's home, and I noticed that Ann-Margret was sitting on a couch surrounded by a bunch of guys coming on to her. About an hour later she was in the same place. I was on my way to the buffet table and called over to her. "Annie, why don't you come and sit with me? I'm the only one here who doesn't want to fuck you." That's the true story, and I wouldn't care how it was told except that I like Ann-Margret and the first version makes it sound like I was putting her down."
- I think Ann-Margret sounds great here:
- Watch this delightful star showcase for Raquel. Hysterically twee and totally ludicrous:
- Don't forge that Ann did a TV movie where she played a homophobic mother whose son died of AIDS. This was in the very early 90"s (pre Philadelphia) and quite controversial.
- [quote]That might be, [R53], but Raquel was the best thing about the Tony-award winning "Scarsdale Surprise".
Are you nutz? She dances without moving her arms!
- Love AM, but Raquel was outta this world!
- I love R78
- Incidentally, do you think early on someone suggested to Welch to change her name to 'Rachel' 'cause they may have deemed 'Raquel' too Spanish-sounding?
- R84 Her real name is Jo Raquel Tejada and she took her first husband's name when she married. She also denied being married and having children for quite a long while because she felt it would spoil her image. And, she denied being half Bolivian for an eternity. I hate those two things about her.
- R76, what was the series you worked on with her?
- Ann was a guest on the Flintstones. Case closed.
- For being the greatest sex symbol of her time, Rocky never showed her tits, while Annie flashed her boobs in a few films.
- I met AM in an airport about 8 yrs ago and she was the sweetest lady ever. Every old guy in the airport was salivating over her.
- The reason why Ann Margret's looks had gone down hill was due to the accident she had at Lake Tahoe falling 22 feet from a scaffold at the Sahara Inn. If this happened to Raquel more than likely her looks would be diminished. Never the less Ann Margret always appeared glamorous and with this being said is also a terrrific dancer, singer and actress hence at one time in the early part of her carrer even Barbara Streisand was jealous of Ann-Margret at one point for obvouis reasons. What is up with Joey Heatherton if she claims she can sing and dance betther than bothAnna nd Raquel why isn't she out doing stage shows and performing in Las Vegas?
- Tune in next week when OP asks: Edwin or John Wilkes Booth?
- Streep Troll says you cannot call Raquel Welch a 'Latina' actress because she was born in the US
So she is not a Latina actress, but an American actress.
That according to Streep Troll
It goes without question.
- I just learned the AM is married to the guy who plays the adult Patrick Dennis in "Auntie Mame".
- They've been married since 1967.
- A-M. Love RW, but she never could have played a character like Blanche Dubois.
- Raquel Welch=bitch and competitive, i don't like at all actually...anyway
Ann-Margret=sexy and cute. Nice read-head! She knows how to be flirtatious and a woman...
- *i don't like her at all
- I would love to see Ann-Margret and Raquel Welch together in amovei. Why did all of these years were they kept sseparate from one another? Afraid a cat fight might occur between them? I t hink t hey both admire and respect one anot her the only difference her is that ANn-Margret has been mairried to the same man Roger Smi th for years and Raquel has been married numurous times (aka Erica Kane) marriages.
- being a lesbian i would like ann
- I like Ann Margaret better because I always thought she was really beautiful and had the best figure. She also seems like a likeable person. I don't know her personally but she seems okay to me.
I read a recent interview with her and the reporter described she and her husbands Hollywood home as "surprisingly lived in". Margaret shrugged it off and said, "We don't entertain a lot, we live normally."
In the same article she talked about falling and breaking her wrist while trying to lure one of her cats back into the house for the night by dangling a string toy. I guess I could relate - lol!
The reporter also asked how her marriage has lasted this long and she, in reference to a lot of these reality shows involving couples "facing temptation" and she said, "Well, number one, my husband and I are not out to humiliate and destroy each other." I liked her answer.
Racquel Welch, to me, was always physical perfection. Just stunning beautiful. But she is more fiery and temperamental. When asked if she felt women respected her she got right to the point, "Yeah women respect me, now that I'm old."
Looking the way she did and does, I'm sure she puts up with a lot of shit from the "sisterhood".
Welch also freely admits to wearing wigs. I like that about her.
- [quote]Ann was a guest on the Flintstones. Case closed.
I was hoping someone would mention that R87.
- RW had more talent and was in on the joke.
- Yeah but Elvis loved Ann Margaret R103. Didn't see Elvis wantin' him no Racquel Welch! If you don't have the King's seal of approval then you got nothin'!!!!!!!
- Everyone remembers Marilyn singing "Happy Birthday" to JFK at MSG in 1962, but it was Ann-Margret who sang to him at his final birthday celebration in 1963, and it was rumored that she visited him afterwards at his Carlyle Hotel suite.
- Ann-Margret is a great talent. Raquel Welch is not.
Does that answer your question?
- R105 So? Magrock had a sweet booty and a naturally butsy chest. Could Jackie say the same?
Ann Margaret fell off a stage and broke bones in her face and her husband stole, or borrowed, however you want to look at it, a small aircraft in order to fly her to a hospital! That's love!
- AM is a lovely, unaffected gay-supportive individual.
Ages ago I was seated at the same table with RW at a Hollywood dinner party. She seemed nice enough but shy and insecure. My impression was that she tried to compensate with an uppity name-dropping manner that I found off-putting. It must be difficult to be an ageing sex goddess in Hollywood.
In terms of talent I'd vote AM. Nevertheless both IMO have contributed something special.
- Just to be clear, it is Ann-Margret not Ann Margaret. Welch's name is spelled Raquel with no "c".