- Seeing her grown children makes me feel SO OLD.
- her son looks like Jesus these days!
- Lisa looks great in that picture. Where's Steve? Just kidding.
- Can people start following Tootie please...
- I don't see any hot sauce on that table.
- Her kids are gorgeous.
- Her daughters are really beautiful.
- Which of the daughters graduated Magna Cum Laude in 3 years? Anyone know from which school?
- Hah! I'm taking a movie tip from Lisa Whelchel. The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel is playing in our local art house theater. It sounds good.
I scanned her Tweets going back to August and she mentions her husband only once on the occasion of his mother's funeral. Hmm. Did anyone catch the Tweet where she says she's in the process of adopting a baby girl? She said it in the singular "I" not "We." Very interesting...
- Is she still beating her kids with hot curling irons or whatever?
- The hot saucing? I don't know how often that happened. That aside, she strikes me as a very good mother. Her kids seem like nice affectionate people.
- I was surprised to see that they kept Donut. Or at least got a Donut lookalike.
- Dick Clark was Kim Fields mentor?
You really do learn something new every day.
- Looks like University of North Texas, R9
- Twitter is fucked up. She's discusses the burger she just ate, shopping at Whole Foods and her dauhgter graduating from college. Too much time on her hands.
Some things are better left unsaid.
- With the exception of Mindy Cohn (Natalie), all of those girls became right wing religious fundy freaks.
I will never understand the fascination with them.
- R10, Lisa retweeted someone else's message about adopting a baby -- it isn't Lisa who's adopting.
- Lisa looks fabulous and remarkably youthful for someone who has to be pushing 50. She hasn't changed much at all since her 'Facts Of Life' days, which is amazing considering how many years have passed.
- Is Nancy right-wing.
Got to say Lisa looks good.
- I've been following Lisa through the years, and I believe she's moved a little to the left in that time. She put up her reading list a while ago, and I remember being surprised by it. She's been reading books that would be considered very "liberal" in their Biblical interpretation by most evangelicals.
She's fundie, but not anything like the fascists that Dominion Wackiness Troll posts about, for instance.
- She looks good. Blah, blah, blah. She's an evangelical Christian, which means she's pretty much a bigot. She just does it with a smile. Still thinks she looks good? People like her get uglier than more you look at them.
- R22 - Not all evangelicals are bigots.
- Ah, I see. Thanks, R18. It's obvious I don't have an account...
- Picture of Lisa with Felice (Nancy)
- R23. If evangelicals believe that civil unions are "good enough" for gays, and if they believe that we shouldn't have the rights that they have, then that's a form of bigotry when it come to issues of equality.
They may do and say it with a smile. They may seem nice. They may seem okay. But if they don't believe in equality, yeah, they practice a form of bigotry. That may not be all of them, but it's probably most.
- R26 - Evangelicals span the gamut on where they stand on marriage equality - some do support full marriage equality.
- Her pussy had a sumptuous Mother's Day feast this morning...in bed!!!
- "The hot saucing? I don't know how often that happened."
Lisa's kids, grateful it wasn't a shit-bra
- I don't think I will ever get over the image of her spanking her kids on their naked butts with a hairbrush in the bathroom with her sitting on the toilet and the kid over her knee. She used to blog about it. One smack for each year of the kid's age. Frightening. I can't imagine how those kids can sit there with her smiling like that after being abused that way.
- R27. According to your link: The generational split includes evangelicals, where 44 percent of younger evangelicals oppose same-sex marriage, 20 points less than older evangelicals (63 percent).
So the evangelical views may "span the gamut;" however, but the ones on the fair and equal side of the "gamut" are pretty damn few.
But nice try.
- Who the hell is this bish?
- R31 - sure, the evangelicals are less likely to support marriage equality than the general population, but there is a sizeable fraction, especially with those under 50, of evangelicals that support it. It's not right to paint them all with the same brush.
- Who is Felice?
- Felice played Nancy in early seasons of Facts of Life. Nancy and Blair were rather competitive.
- R33. I'm not painting evangelicals with the same broad brush. I'm painitng them with the mostly same broad brush, which is exactly what your own evidence and link above shows.
- For those who aren't familiar with Lisa Whelchel, you must see this video of her husband. Marcus could only hold a candle to him.
- OMG, that's the first time I've ever seen video of hubby Steve. If he isn't a closeted 'mo, then I'm the frigging Pope. His pinging can be heard in outer space.
- ping, ping, ping
- The reason evangelicals hate gays so much is because they're all so closeted. They hate who they are and hate it in others.
- Whelchel, to her (only) credit, did not jump on the evangelical bandwagon that happened in the 80s and 90s. She has been evangelical since long before she was ever on "Facts" or "Mickey Mouse Club." (So she wouldn't do the episode when Natalie loses her virginity but had no problem with the male stripper episode?)
I have no idea why I am surprised to hear that she shops at Whole Foods. Doesn't seem very fundy.
- Steve's files might be straight, but he's not. Was his boyfriend the videographer???
- Her little brother. Tell me he's not a 'mo. No straight guy would wear that hair, that t and those shades.
- I'd fuck her brother! Yummy!
- Oh my ....Steve ....Steve ....Steve ......lol
How the hell did he get it up to have those kids?
- Lisa and her family are members of the Foursquare Church and that entire "religion" is not gay friendly by any remote means at all.
With that being said, I cannot snark on one of her children graduating University early and with high honors. Made me feel old as dirt to read of on this thread, but I cannot snark on it all the same.
- There are so many things about her that aren't fundy. Whole Foods shopping, her reading list, visiting the Getty and all sorts of cultural sites that she's posted pics of across the years, her daughter wasn't sent to a Christian college, and she even mentioned drinking once, I think.
I believe that last time she mentioned Steve on her Twitter (before the mention about his mother's funeral) was when she mentioned feeling ignored by him as though she didn't exist. She [italic]has[/italic] to know, doesn't she? Especially the way she described their "courtship." She was pretty much railroaded into the marriage by her pastor (Steve's boss) after very plainly saying to them she didn't have feelings for him. (she prayed and saw the light) FFS, she was a Hollywood kid and a lot of her descriptions of him then were so much of the stereotypical gay best friend.
- Here's the background about their arranged marriage.
- University of North Texas is in Amarillo, right?
- R49. According to the link, Whelchel's prayer group included: Debbie Boone, Charlene Tilton and Donna Summer.
- I am so curious as to how much awareness she has about her husband's sexuality. He fits loads of stereotypes.
- Don't mention my husband and "loads" in the same sentence! He's been so good lately! He promised!!!
- Dear God. That video of Steve Cauble. No wonder Lisa is an emotional eater.
His delivery of "Nooooo, they kind of misspoke there" could be in some video Wikipedia entry of Gayface.
- And "lovely" this and "lovely" that. Mary!
- Her son is HOT!
- 'Pank me, mommy!
- I mentioned that Steve and I had been spending a lot of time together and said that because he was so “safe,” he was the logical person to escort me to functions when my minstrel was out of town. I watched my music man from across the table as he struggled to place the name with a face, “Steve, Steve.… Oh yeah, the church organist! I don’t have to worry about him.”
- TCB Typical cracker behavior. She is one of the biggest racists around. Tootsie won't even speak to her.
- Steve seems like a size queen so I bet he loves black men.
- I'm still in mild shock over how obviously butt-fuckingly GAY hubby Steve clearly is. After all the years of Lisa Whelchel on Datalounge, and only seeing photographs, to actually see video of him and have it basically spelled out is really something. For years, DLers have joked that he's a closet queen but now we know those jokes aren't off the mark at all.
- R38, you and me both. It's sort of sad. Poor guy. Poor Lisa.
- ohyes. he is so gay it hurts/
- I agree with R61. I've followed Lisa on here for years and read references to the closet queen husband, but I couldn't see it from the pics and wondered if it was DL over inferring. But NO! It's really quite breathtaking just how much he pings.
It is sad. Had these people not been ensnared in a Christian lifestyle from such a young age...
- It's extra sad because she seems like such a decent sort.
Well, they do have 3 beautiful children who obviously love them. Whatevs.
- OMG i just rewatched the video of steve. i had forgotten just HOW gay he is.
- I always wondered what Jesus would look like with a unibrow.
I saw her son and now know.
- [quote]In May 2006, Whelchel unwittingly appeared (along with her Facts of Life co-stars, Nancy McKeon and Mindy Cohn) on a gay and lesbian radio station called SIRIUS OutQ (where she was interviewed by gay comedian Frank DeCaro). This caused ripples of controversy through her primarily Christian fanbase, some of whom considered her voluntary appearance on the show a silent endorsement of homosexuality. Whelchel stated she did not know it was a gay station until halfway through the interview.
- [quote]Whelchel stated she did not know it was a gay station until halfway through the interview.
Whelchel, not the sharpest knife in the drawer, also added that she didn't know it was a gay husband until halfway through the marriage.
- Surely she knows by now....
- [quote]University of North Texas is in Amarillo, right?
- She's spoken in an interview about disciplining her son for using "fag" as an epithet.
I don't know whether she takes a public stance on homosexuality, but casual homophobia is not allowed in her home.
- I think she's more open-minded than she lets on.
- R72: That probably has more to do with her being a prude who doesn't like "bad language" than her giving a shit about gay people.
- Clicking on R37's link, let me say this is the first time I've ever seen her husband, let alone heard him. I have yet to press play, but the vimeo image alone is enough.
- On R37's video, when the unseen dude talks about Mr. Whelchel having the most orderly desk, and says, "Those files are so straight!" I wonder how many people have resisted saying, "That's about the only thing!"
- Lisa pings as much as her husband.
- If she couldn't even tell Frank DeCaro was hosting a gay show until halfway through... sheesh. You can see that man from space.
- So gay it's a wonder the Hunchback of ND wasn't standing next to him.
- Maybe she knows and doesn't care? On her son's birthday she wrote something to the effect of "X years ago today I became what I was created to be, a mother." Perhaps she's content enough with this role. But the kids have flown the nest and she's with an inattentive eldergay (he's 62 although he appears younger) who is "devoted" to his ministry.
- I keep detecting an undertone of sadness about her marriage in her writing. She may not know that her husband is gay, but she feels his neglect.
- My partner's parents were longtime friends with some of Lisa's relatives. We attended one of their family celebrations once that Lisa and and her family also attended. This was shortly after they moved back to Texas. The children were still pretty young. We didn't interact with her or any of the others directly, but we both sensed a gay vibe from Steve. Lisa was actually very attractive in person, and the children were seemed very social and pleasant. By all appearances, they seemed to be a very happy family.
- YOU MISSED YOUR CHANCE TO CHAT WITH LISA, R82?!
Hand in your card immediately.
- You really have to admit she looks gorgeous. Maybe the pictures are being a bit too kind but she looks like she could be one of her daughter's friends. Her kids are gorgeous too. Though I'd like to give the son a clean cut makeover.
- She spent most of her time visiting with her relatives. I was only marginally acquainted with the guests of honor, so I didn't feel comfortable imposing myself on her.
Please don't make me turn in my card.
- Yes, in all honesty she looks better now than she did as a teen, and her children are stunning.
- Lisa looks like she might have some black ancestry.
- Okay, I need to know her beauty regiment STAT. I'm sure she's had some maintenance work but you really can't tell if she has and she doesn't look like she overuses filler. Very fresh and youthful looking.
Her husband seems gay as Christmas. Growing up, my parents had a set of friends where the man was very [childish epithet posted by a bigoted tool] and the woman was extremely masculine. It was so odd but they're still married. What I don't understand is what goes onion the heads of the church members. Surely, they recognize it but do they not care since he's married and has kids. I have so many questions.
- Her son is in a (legit) rock band///
- [quote]the man was very [childish epithet posted by a bigoted tool] and the woman was extremely masculine. It was so odd but they're still married.
Several sit-coms have attempted to explore this very real situation, but they are limited to jokes. I would like to hear more about it, but a serious study would be impossible as the people in such a couple would be the most clueless about it.
- Steve pings so loud you could pick up the signal on Mars. Maybe Lisa is a tad clueless, but the three children have to be aware-the young generation is very savvy about this kind of thing. I wonder what they think.
I must say, though, he looks fantastic for 62. You would never guess he's that old, because he looks significantly younger.
- Bearding with some fab chick from an iconic, 80s sitcom is about as good as it's going to get for a closeted man.
- "Shortly after my father died, my friends and I went to the movies and we saw "Some Like It Hot." I laughed for two hours and then I went home and I cried for two days."
"Mrs. Garrett, how does that help me and my gay husband?"
- She does ping, actually.
- God, I just remembered this after reading the part about Lisa pinging. In one of the weirdest coincidences (if you could call it that) involving two DL favorites, the famous, crazy Denise Eaker from the Michfest threads took to tweeting Lisa and even went to one of her events when she was in Denise's home state. Denise spoke with her briefly and gave her a CD.
- omg, that's right r95! I wonder if Denise picked up on the pinging....
- p.s. just checked and you can "subscribe" to Denise's FB page if you are so inclined...
- Does Lisa ping? Or only our memories of Blair?
- Lisa pings more than Blair did.
- She and Geri Jewell, who as we all know is a lesbian, were roommates for a while in LA.
The Voice of the Night
- I still can't get over that Nancy McKeon is apparently heterosexual. Jo on Facts of Life was the butchest lesbian in television history.
- I don't think it mattered to Denise whether Lisa pinged or not. Remember her lone passenger back from the fest, Vera? She was straight, but Denise was such a horndog that she kept hitting on her despite being rebuffed. It might have been the weed that made her do it.
- I agree, R101. I was shocked when I learned that Nancy Mac was married with kids.
- I guess the worst part is the way her church basically foisted the much older Steve on her when she was still pretty young and not yet savvy on the fact that Hollywood wasn't the only group that used others for its self-interests.
- All true, but I do have to admit they seem to have made it work somehow. I think there's no doubt he's a closet-case, but she seems happy enough?
- Maybe Lisa is waiting for the kids to leave the nest before she makes a break from Steve. How old is their youngest child?
Or maybe they've agreed to lead separate lives but stay married for the kids and church.
- [quote] Maybe Lisa is waiting for the kids to leave the nest before she makes a break from Steve. How old is their youngest child?
They've ALL left the nest. The youngest one is in college.
- R109 -- Maybe Lisa will Tipper Gore her marriage once Steve retires
- R107, Lisa's not okay. A few years ago, she basically had a nervous breakdown and hid in her prayer closet and cried for six months. She's a mess.
- R111 - What happened? I didn't catch this part of the saga. I recall, some time ago, they had to file for bankruptcy or they had financial problems. I think it was around the time of their RV tour.
- r111 Where'd you hear this? I want all dirt on Blair Warner.
- Deets please.
- Blame the people behind on the scenes on FOL. Lisa had been getting so much shit for her weight that by the summer of 83 she bailed on hollywood during the summer break and went back to Texas. It was there that she met up with an old friend who was very religious and when Lisa poured her heart out about how depressed she was, the friend told her she needed to start going to church more and let religion be the guiding force. Lisa took it to heart, came back to LA, and started going to the same church that Donna Summer, Deniece Williams and a few other celebrities went to.
She didn't go insane like Kirk Cameron, but Blair's easiness became toned down the last few years. She flat out refused to do a show on Natalie losing her virginity, even though she did a similar show the first season. And the parade of men dwindled.
- R112 and R113, it's in her book that she put out a couple years ago. Overall, the book is supposed to be about how she learned how to have female friendships and the mistakes she made along the way, but she goes into quite a bit of detail about what amounts to a breakdown or a mid-life crisis, where she hid in her closet for six months.
The book, which shamefully I purchased on Kindle, is quite sad, really. She talks about being incredibly lonely and in desperate need of friendship, and tells sad and embarrassing stories about driving friends away in the past because she was fake with people, or over-eager, or both. She talks about a friendship with a man that she ended because she was worried about the territory it was entering.
Even more than that is the stuff she leaves out. She does not discuss her marriage or Steve, and though it's not particularly surprising that she wouldn't say negative stuff about her marriage, you start to see the true picture when you realize she never says a single good thing about it, either. When she speaks of her breakdown, she never once mentions that Steve was there for her or comforted her in any way. It is like he does not exist. She just describes herself as alone. All of which was exacerbated by her kids leaving the nest, I think, though she doesn't really go into detail about that.
It's not written in a self-pitying way, however. In fact, she blames no one but herself for any of her troubles. Even by the end of the book, where she's saying she's in a better, happier place because of all the friendship lessons she's finally learned, she still seems sad.
- I'm not r111 but I remember she used to have a blog and talk about her spiritual and emotional journey. The Lisa Whelchel Troll would copy these posts in here for our entertainment, but I guess she found out because she and her writing disappeared behind a wall until she joined Twitter.
Anyway, she had blogged about crying in the prayer closet.
- I remember The Lisa Whelchel Troll's threads. The LWT would sometimes write a parody diary entry and the thread would go on for many pages - they were always hilarious.
- "Crying in the prayer closet" is a good term to describe religious, repressed gays like Lisa and her husband.
- I can't remember what they were but Lisa turned down two, what would become major film roles, when she left FOL. One she flat out refused because she had to show tit. I wish I could remember what they were. It would have been interesting to watch her mature as an actress if she worked at it. She did have the screen presence. Or at least the little screen presence.
- Lisa turned down the lead roles in Basic Instinct and Wild Orchid. Also, she was originally cast as Cristal Connors in Showgirls, but had to pull out at the last minute.
- ha ha very funny.
- She hasn't figured out that gay men make the best girlfriends, yet?
- Can't ABC Family or one of those cable networks find a role for Lisa? She could be the neighbor or the best friend or the mom of the tween star. Maybe getting in front of the camera again would be good for her self-esteem. She's very pretty and can do comedy quite well. Her kids would support her, right?
- I agree, R125. Isn't her son in L.A. already with his band? One daughter just graduated and I don't know what the other one does. The time seems right.
Thank you, R111/116, for taking the time to write that. I don't know why because I was never a FOL fan and what I know about LW, I learned here, but I like her and find the whole situation fascinating. It's so sad. I keep wondering when is this just going to come apart at the seams for them if it isn't already. I mean, is Steven Cauble really leading a celibate life? I can't imagine he is. His pursuit of her was so out-of-the-blue and calculated, the pressure must have really mounted for him to take a bride and prove his heterosexuality. There had to have been some incident(s) that triggered it because he and the pastor were pretty relentless.
There's over 20 years of weird history between those two. Maybe she's hearing stuff and gradually putting two and two together and her book was the product of the path she's on. Christians must gossip like everyone else.
I wonder if part of coming apart at the seams will involve him getting caught and they'll face the music like the Haggards. Of course, he's not as well known and seems to maintain a low profile (he didn't look very thrilled about being videotaped, did he?). It could be freeing for both, but I think she's too fragile to deal with the fallout.
I'm going to have to find that book now.
- And I'd forgotten (she doesn't go into any detail at all in the book) that she says she had sexual abuse in her past.
Hopefully this link will work. Should take you to preview pages of her book where this is mentioned.
- I read the page r127 linked and the following chapters -- its very sad, and she endured a lot of pain...
- let's intervene and "save" her!
- I don't believe we've fully discussed the ramifications of the information revealed above, so I'm bumping this thread.
- I never thought I'd be this fond of an evangelical frau, but I really do feel for her.
- [quote]I don't believe we've fully discussed the ramifications of the information revealed above
She didn't say much about it, either.
Or wait -- you want some good ol' fashioned DL speculation...
- does she have a facebook page?
- [quote] does she have a facebook page?
She did have a fan page but I think she must have deleted it, because I "liked" it and now it's not among my pages and doesn't come up in a search. There's also no link to it on her official page, only one for Twitter.
- Hmmmm. Why would she go 'underground' re: social media...
Maybe someone suggested to her that Steve is gay.
- She does have a Facebook page, but it looks like it only has updates from her Twitter feed on it. (at least as far as I could tell since I don't have a FB account to check fully). I also looked back at her old blog. It's kind of interesting that she pretty much ceased activity on it for a two years from 2009 to 2011. She only took it up again when she went on some foreign trips last year. Someone upthread said she probably found out about DL and went behind a wall. I don't think that's the case as the timeframe corresponds with her children leaving home and the crisis. She was probably crying in the closet at this time.
I wish she would hook up with a ministry like Jay Bakker's (yes, [italic]that Bakker[/italic]) for some Christian healing time. I've linked a video of an interview Don Lemon did with him on CNN for the curious. He has a very different approach to Christianity which evolved through his own crises.
- I think her blog went behind a wall because after the Lisa Whelchel Troll started posting, many of you began to visit her.
There was also some guy with a blog about her blog, and he wasn't very nice.
- So she MUST have seen/heard speculation about her husband....
- [qutoe]Christians must gossip like everyone else.
"I never gossip. Except to save a soul. Or a conversation."
-- Mrs. Betty Bowers
- If traffic to her blog spikes, she can trace it to the source which would lead her to Datalounge. Of course, once here, all she'd have to do is search for her name and the threads would pop up.
At least, that's how the Pie Guy found us.
- Who's Pie Guy?
- The naked baker who blogs at Piefolk.net.
The Voice of the Night
- She doesn't need to go to that length to find Datalounge threads, R141. All she needs to do is Google her own name, and then select to sort the results by date (so the newest are at the top). Takes two seconds, and I can assure you, every celebrity knows how to do this.
Presto! Our thread about Lisa is the #1 result!
- Ooh, I didn't know Lisa's son is gay. Yessssssssss!
- She took down her blog because of The Blair Necessities, the blog about her blog which, yes, was not particularly nice, but really was fucking hilarious. The Chili With Sea Bass/Ruining The Bike Trip For Everyone entry was a particular stand out. When she found out about the blog she made her sort of diary entries only available to her mailing list subscribers, but realized The Blair Necessities people were on her mailing list so stopped doing that, too.
- You know he isn't.
- The Blair Necessities is still out there
- It might still be out there, R148, but no one's posted on it in almost 3 years...
- Yet, as history (and for newbies) it is priceless.
Lisa on Homosexuality!
- That entry about homosexuality in Blair Necessities reminds me that she wrote abou boys who don't fill the "macho" stereotype in one of her blog entries... Yes, she gave her husband Steve as the example. Studious, on the quiet side and didn't play sports. IIRC, he played piano or something.
- How much older is her husband? He looks ancient. Maybe she doesn't talk about him anymore because he is in a retirement home.
- Piecunt's still alive?
- After reading what she writes about coming out of homosexuality, my first thought was "what an ignorant cunt," but I took a step back and thought, "What a sad, disappointed woman, in complete denial about her marriage to a gay man."
Which, ironically, makes me more Christian than she will ever be.
- Lisa NEEDS to believe that you can pray away the gay. She's well aware that her husband has struggled with this, but her whole life (and livelihood, at this point - speaking to churches) is wrapped up in the belief that if people want to change, they can. If she admits to herself that it's bullshit, she feels she will have nothing.
Compared to many evangelicals in the public eye, she's been mostly very quiet on the topic. I think she knows better than to speak out on it. The less she says about it now (and she's said very little), the less humiliating it will be later, if it all comes tumbling down. It's telling that the one single comment people can find from her that's on the record about homosexuality, she removed from her website. And to her credit, she left a message there saying she'd removed it -- she could have just taken the whole thing down and pretended she never said it.
I'm a Lisa Whelchel apologist, I suppose, but I think she's done okay, considering the corner she's painted herself into.
- [quote]She's well aware that her husband has struggled with this,
Really? I'd never read anything about this.
- The real story of those girls in "Facts of Life"!
- wow. i just watched the clip on her webpage from when she was on the today show, and the whole way through, even though she is talking about female friends, she is basically admitting that she and her husband have never really been close or in love...... !!
- Poor Lisa --
Remember when it was just fun to speculate if Blair really loved Jo?
- where is she moving?
- Looks like Lisa's moved back to L.A.!
[quote]I made 3 wonderful new friends today...Green Tea Latte, Urth Cafe & @HollyWagnerLA. Worth moving back 2 California for!
- So, the marriage is over? Lisa extending out of her comfort zone? It's so sad that she doesn't even recognize the most basic Christian teachings.
- wtf??? back to california doesn't necessarily mean LA...
are she and steve quietly divorcing now that the youngest is out of high school?
- I thought Lisa would have Tweeted about Donna Summer's passing, given that Donna was a good friend of hers in the eighties.
I guess she was too busy moving.
- [quote]wtf??? back to california doesn't necessarily mean LA...
You're right, though in the picture, she's with one of the pastors of L.A.'s Oasis church on Wilshire Blvd and they're at a coffee place that only has locations in L.A, including one on Wilshire.
I think she's implies she'll be having lattes with those ladies again.
Also: the Oasis church is Sherri Shepherd's church, and she had the church's husband-and-wife pastor team as guests on The View one day, when it was bring-your-mentor-to-work day.
Also photographed at Oasis church a month or so ago: Megan Fox and Brian Austin Green.
- The Oasis church sounds like the place to be. Is there any chance Courtney Stodden attends services at Oasis? Imagine those two meeting.
- have to say that Lisa still looks cute.
- "beauty regiment"
I'm seeing this more and more lately. "Beauty regiment", "exercise regiment", etc. It's REGIMEN. Regiment is a whole different thing.
Reminds me of the multitude of times people use "trooper" when they mean "trouper". Both are using military terms when they are not meant.
- She looks better now than she did as Blair.
- Lisa in LA with her Christian regiment doing a beauty regimen...
- It used to bother me when people used "regiment" instead of "regimen" or "trooper" instead of "trouper." But now it doesn't even phase me.
- Lisa looks great - hard to believe she's 49, today!
PredictIon: she'll be on the next DTWS, and land a guest spot on Hot in Cleveland.
- Oh my. Can you see Lisa's husband meeting Carson? This must happen.
- I liked it when she called Jerri a "tard" on her Twitter account.
- I would think she's a no-brainer for the DTWS producers. Star of a beloved long-running 80s sitcom, and a former Mousketeer. Pretty successful second career as an author & speaker in the evangelical community, so she appeals to the bible belt. Plus, she had lots of dance training as kid/young teen, so she'd probably be better than most, right out of gate.
- Is she in the running?
- I think Lisa's husband should hook up with Ted Haggard.
- Can we start a virtual campaign to have her on DWTS?
- How would one go about campaigning for an appearance on DWTS?
- I could see Lisa on Hot in Cleveland.
- Lisa looks amazing for 49 years old.
- FYI, Mindy Cohn and Kim Fields will Andy Cohen's guests on an upcoming episode of WWHL, according to a tweet from Andy.
- Update: it's tonight!
- Someone call in and ask about Lisa!!
- WTF? Now Lisa's backpacking across Europe?
- Maybe she's filming a sequel to "The Facts of Life Goes to Paris".
- No husband with them in Europe?
- that's her gay-seeming brother, no?
- Lisa's fighting gossip and feeling reflective.
[quote] "Great minds talk about ideas, average minds talk about events, and small minds talk about people." - Eleanor Roosevelt
[quote]If you could look back on your life a year from now, how would you have wanted to deal with your current situation? Retweeted by Lisa Whelchel
- She looks fantastic
- she looks fabulous, but she's married to a gay man.
- I'm pretty sure that it is her daughter's boyfriend, R192.
- Lisa's in London!
[quote]We love London! Our hostel has wifi. Weather is drizzly. Front window on DoubleDecker bus. And EarlGrey is from Heaven.
- And she's Twittering back and forth with gay gossip guy What the Buck!
- Steve must be having a gay old time with the house to himself.
- oh Lisa, the sneakers in London? Really?
- Sneakers or not, she looks like a very youthful 49-year-old.
- yes, save her footware she looks FABULOUS.
- It's too bad we can't change thread titles midway. Something like Lisa's Excellent European Adventure.
- So she must be done with Steve. Who will get Donut?
- she will of course.
i do wonder if they're quietly divorcing....
- @buckhollywood My daughters said, "Tell him hi. We love him!"
- The daughter's boyfriend pings. Is she unconsciously replicating Mommy's bad choice of men? Sort of a Judy/Liza thing?
Snuck out while kids were asleep this morning for a cappuccino & slice of rosemary ChocolateChip bread in the park. Sweetly scented memory.
12:48am - 16 Jun 12
Just bought this vintage coat at a flea market in Amsterdam for 20euros($25) Now off to eat poffertjes. Love this city! img.ly/jDpX
8:55am - 16 Jun 12
Coat = cute, shoes = not.
Instead of ditching the kids for cappuccino & rosemary chocolate chip bread, I would really like to see her hit one of the cafes that had hash chocolates. Would do her a world of good.
- they don't serve pot to tourists anymore...
- Lisa's pretty, kind, and she seems like a great mom. Even though I think her husband's gay, I don't think she deserves to be humiliated because of it. Steve's a selfish prick; however, it looks like Lisa got some pretty cool kids out of the deal...
- I agree with everything you said EXCEPT the part about humiliation. Most of us on this thread are not humiliating her in the least. The only person who is humiliating her, if it is indeed true that he is gay, is Steve.
- I love her twitter. I think she's mellowed over the years and seems to be in a much better place. I hope she's left Steve and moved to California. She looks the best she's looked in years.
- She should have her own reality show, Mrs. Whelchel & Company.
- I'd watch.
- Looks like Haven's gotten engaged
- This spoiler site for Survivor has Lisa listed as one of the contestants for the season airing this fall.
- Lisa looks incredible for someone who'll be 50 in less than a year. She could still pass for being in her 30's.
- Lisa didn't post anything on Twitter from March 4 - May 10. Here's a picture of her from May 12, looking pretty tanned...
- And, SPOILER ALERT: sounds like Lisa makes Top 3!
- Seriously -- WHAT?? She will be on Survivor for real!?
This is HUGE news. Bump for the awake in the am crowd.
- Does no one want to talk about Lisa on Survivor? What is wrong with DL today??!!
- I have no idea. I am SO excited about this.
A perfect DL storm -- we've even speculated she'd be great on a show like this. Do you think it's really true and that they are already done shooting?
- Lisa has a radiant smile.
- What the hell is Survivor? Shouldn't you be tending to your studies Blair?
- This is friggin AWESOME!! Lisa has been obsessed with Survivor for years (tweeting Jeff Probst) and said that she would like to be a contestant many times. In fact, she posted a video to twitter last fall, asking fans to help her get on the show. She campaigned for it, and even sorta "trained" for it. About a year ago, she went on a ten-day wilderness excursion with just a backpack & a sleeping bag. With benefit of hindsight, it would appear that she was testing herself, to see if she could really hack it on Survivor.
So, props to her! She had a dream, and she it made it happen. I haven't watched Survivor since S2, but I will be glued to Survivor: Phillipines this fall!
It's all clicking into place now.....
Twitter account fell strangely silent March-April, while shooting in Phillipines. She popped back up in May, looking tanned, slim and generally fabulous, at youngest child's college graduation. Emboldened by her Survivor experience (and with the baby all grown-up), she finally left Steve (??) and moved to L.A.....because now that she's done Survivor, other offers will likely follow (i.e. DTWS, Hot in Cleveland, etc). Took daughters, and future son-in-law, to Europe with Survivor paycheck. (I had wondered how she was able to afford that -- it l makes sense, now.)
The Comeback is on!
- If she slimmed down, that means she might have been on for awhile.
- Well, according to one Survivor spoiler site, Lisa made it to the final three..... But I do not pretend to know anything about Survivor spoiler sites. From what I've read, Survivor: Phillipines completed filming last week of April....which would jive with when Lisa reappeared on Twitter.
- Turn blue.
- So if the Survivor stint brings Lisa more visibility, does this mean that the spotlight might focus on the Rev. Mr. Cauble-Whelchel? Or, maybe, as someone upthread suggested, they've gotten quietly divorced. I don't recall seeing one recent mention about him. Does anyone know if the kids mention him? I don't follow their Twitters.
- He's awol
- Bravo, R233.! A brlilliant idea, ;-)....
As for the kids and Steven, I have looked at their twitter accounts, and they NEVER mention him. Nor does Lisa. I don't know what to make of rhat, but it says *somerhing* about the family dynamic.
- Um...*that* and *something* ....before someone jumps in to mock my spelling. I wasn't wearing my glasses when I should have been wearing them.
- Keep watching; if they go another month without mentioning Steve at all, something happened for sure.
- I hope they do one more Facts Of Life reunion movie, and this time Nancy is in it. Charlotte Rae ain't gettin' any younger, you know.
- [quote]Um...*that* and *something* ....before someone jumps in to mock my spelling. I wasn't wearing my glasses when I should have been wearing them.
Oh Jan, you're supposed to wear your glasses!
- Maybe it's Steve who has locked himself inside the prayer closet these days. We know how he loves the closet!
- I saw Clancy's twitter. She wrote that she was happy to be greeted by her dog, nothing about her dad. I understand if Steve was busy with whatever it is he does for a living and couldn't come to Europe, but it was strange Lisa blogged about missing Tucker and not a work about her husband. I am not sure if they are divorced but they certainly appear to lead separate lives. I can't understand how, despite hot saucing and airing out her family issues on her blog, she raised what seems to be 3 awesome kids.
- It doesn't seem like there were any Father's Day greetings or contact. Not that they would necessarily mention anything about that. The last mention about him was in a tweet about his mother's funeral in August. Was he even at his daughter's graduation?
Hmm. I'm wondering if that will be part of her Survivor identity -- newly divorced and empty nest syndrome.
So did she move to L.A.? That doesn't seem clear.
- Seeing that she is a Focus on the Family type fundie, why does she get more love on here than Debra Messing?
- because she's not. she's actually way more evolved now.
- [quote] she's not. she's actually way more evolved now
How do we know that? The popular view here on DL seems to be the Lisa is a "good" fundie and isn't as close-minded as most other fundies. But is there any tangible evidence to back that up? It seems that it's mostly speculation and wishful thinking on the part of DL eldergays who loved Facts of Life. Has Lisa ever made any statement denouncing any of the more outrageous wingnuts?
- watch her on Survivor. There's always at least one gay contestant...
- she recently said she loves this pic and it's how she feels about books, so she is no typical close-minded fundie...
- She is friends with Mandisa from American Idol, remember how open minded she was? I will say her son does not seem to be a fundie at all, I am shocked she let him join a band that was not Christian rock. The youngest daughter is the spitting image of her from the 80s and looks like a model. The middle kid graduated from a non Christian college, although it is possible that the financial problems she had did not allow her to go to a private school. Unless Lisa explicitly says she feels all people should love anyone they want, she gets no pass. However, she may be very bitter about being practically forced to marry a gay man.
- u r right about that last point.
- [quote]she may be very bitter about being practically forced to marry a gay man.
She was very young, very sincere, and duped.
- lisa whelchel is second only to carol channing in terms of being a true DL icon, imo.
- Can someone provide a link to the Survivor spoilers about her?
- Here you go, R254.
- More discussion...
- And on this page, someone apparently reveals the results of the season. FYI, Lisa is identified as Liza.
- Thanks! I wonder who Denise is.
- Whatever.... I'm TOTALLY CONVINCED that "Liza" is Lisa Whelchel! Based upon:
a) the fact that she campaigned to get on the show
b) that her twitter account fell silent during the months that Survivor: Phillipines was was filmed
c) she is currently looking very tannned, and much slimmer, than she did a year ago, at TV Land Awards.
I am also NOT surprised to read spoilers that she made it to the final three. Lisa is very adept at public speaking, stating her point of view. She is also very competitive - by her own admission. I remember reading an old interview in which she RELISHED beating her good buddy/co-star, Nancy McKeon, at racquetball.
It's totally Lisa.....and is going to be so much FUN!
- Check out a video she did to get on Survivor.
- She's very cute!
- I've never watched Survivor before. I may have to watch this time around.
- Ditto, R263. I've never watched a single episode of Survivor in all the years it's been on, but if Lisa is really going to do it, I'll have to check it out.
- My insomnia had me looking up the raquetball interview referenced earlier. This interview is amazing, and she seems to imply Nancy is gay.
- Daaaaaamn. Type "Steve Cauble" into the Google search box and the second hit is "steve cauble gay."
- PS, I think a divorce is imminent because the kids are always referencing Lisa, but they don't have anything to say about their father.
- Agreed. He is awol on all their twitter feeds.
- who is buck hollywood?
- Lisa's pal, Buck...
- Wow, that Buck guy makes Ted Casablanca look like Clint Eastwood. I think we can safely say Lisa does not hate gay people, especially after being married to one.
- Steve gave Lisa happy and healthy children, and he was a great friend to her, but it's shameful how he used religion to bamboozle Lisa. I have my share of issues with women, but I'll never have sympathy for gay men who selfishly involve others in their struggles with their sexuality.
- We can only guess what's going on in Lisa's marriage. Maybe she has intimacy issues and found a closeted gay guy to be her best option.
- she NEVER mentions him anymore.
yes, they have 3 seemingly fantastic children together. but he deceived her (unless she bought into being part of a 'pray away the gay' thing before their marriage)....
- [quote] Agreed. He is awol on all their twitter feeds
What's even MORE telling is that none of them are following HIM on Twitter.
- wait. what does HE twit about???
- He doesn't really tweet though. I think it is much more telling that no Father's Day mention of him, no one saying they missed him on the Europe trip, and no word on his reaction to Haven getting engaged (that makes me feel so old!).
- [quote]Steve gave Lisa happy and healthy children, and he was a great friend to her
Do we know this? The last reference Lisa made about him (aside from his mother's funeral) was feeling ignored by him. This was about three years ago. I think it coincided with the last kid leaving the house.
- On his FB page he's still listed as "married"
- does he have a fb page?
- answered my own question, yes he does and his photos would indicate a very happy home life...?
- [quote]What's even MORE telling is that none of them are following HIM on Twitter.
I checked this last week. Haven's the only one who doesn't have him on her follow list. Then again, he rarely tweets and it's all business when he does. I don't have a Facebook acct., so I don't know if he's more active on that.
- Who gives a shit about what she stuffed down her throat, gawd blogging yes, twitting is for twats.
- R265 - what part of the interview from 30 years ago makes you think Lisa is saying Nancy is gay
- When says she is worried about her because she doesn't fall in love like the other girls and is not boy crazy. I don't really think she is outing her, but it is a weird thing to say. Then again, they were about 15 years old!
- I think Lisa was saying that Nancy is focused on her work. I think Lisa was 17 or 18, and Nancy was 15.
- I'm gonna go on record right now and say that Lisa's stint on Survivor will mark the end of Datalounge's love affair with her.
It's been easy to like her when our only exposure is self-deprecating 140-character bits and pieces a couple times a week. And she seems to be making friends with the gays (with the likely exception of her husband). And she's got our sympathy for her realization that she'd been duped by her pastor into marrying a gay man.
BUT, I think her Jesus-loving ways are as strong as ever. How will DL feel about her when they watch her praying her way through Survivor? And she will be praying; in fact, word is she teams up with Mike Skupin (he's back, and is the guy from season 2 who fell into the fire and had to be air-lifted out of the competition), who is a bible-thumping maniac. Apparently their alliance takes them all the way to the top.
DL love for Lisa is gonna fade when we watch her as part of the new God Squad on Survivor.
- Depends on how they edit her, R288. Elisabeth turned out very different than she did on Survivor.
- [quote]How will DL feel about her when they watch her praying her way through Survivor? And she will be praying; in fact, word is she teams up with Mike Skupin (he's back, and is the guy from season 2 who fell into the fire and had to be air-lifted out of the competition), who is a bible-thumping maniac. Apparently their alliance takes them all the way to the top.
Are you sure? His own personal appearance schedule has him working through the supposed filming time. (or at least the time that Lisa disappeared from her Twitter)
- R290, the dates you linked are from 2002, not from 2012.
- That's a good point, R288 -- watch Elisabeth on Survivor, I wouldn't have had any idea how conservative and Jesus-y she was. Maybe Lisa will be edited similarly.
Really, what I'm hoping is that I watch and see that Lisa is funny, bright, a good competitor and doesn't take herself too seriously. I'm cheering for her.
But I worry she'll get the God edit.
- R290, apparently this season will start with three tribes -- each led (i.e. an actual leader appointed by the producers) by a previous contestant who had to be removed for medical reasons.
Again, that's the rumor -- it's not 100%.
- Well I feel stupid.
- I miss the LWT.
- No one has explained why Lisa gets more love than Debra Messing.
- Because Debra Messing is a CUNT!
- I didn't read this entire thread, so I don't know if this has been mentioned, but Lisa Whelchel is going to be on the next season of Survivor.
Word is, she is a hardcore gamer.
Premiering sometime in July.
- [quote]No one has explained why Lisa gets more love than Debra Messing.
Because Lisa has an arc (not the Noah kind).
Child actor who moved to L.A. with her Grandmother. Big, long-running series. Started out as "the pretty one" then had troubles with weight, where the producers of FOL would weigh her each week in front of the whole production staff. Sexually abused. Finds Jesus. Trusts her church, who sets her up with a gay man and marries her off. BABIES! Loses her money in bad investments while husband works as an Assistant Pastor. Gets book contract to write about raising children in a Christian home. Hot-saucing. Feels like a fraud and afraid to let even her closest friends know her feelings of failure. Bankruptcy. Supports family for years by travelling every weekend to one-horse towns to speak at churches for a few hundred bucks + expenses. Relationship with husband a complete failure, but terrified to let anyone know because her whole family's livelihood is based on her being a perfect Christian wife and mother. Kids leave home. Nervous breakdown. Slowly emerges from all this with some honesty, openness and a new identity. Tries to regain her career.
And THAT is why Lisa Whelchel gets more love at DL than Debra Messing.
- And compare that to Deb Messing's arc.
Got Ned and Stacey. Got Will & Grace. Married. BABY! Paid a fucking bundle. Got a couple other jobs. Divorced. The end.
- Holy smokes, R299, you need a write a screenplay about this, I am captivated!I never thought I would sympathize with a Texas (former?) fundie.
- Who should star in the Lisa Whelchel story?
- Only one actress could play Lisa from tween to peri-menopause, and that is Jennifer Love Hewitt.
- Where is Steve and who is he blowing?
- R303 - no, JLH could not do it. She has the wrong look, and would have a hard time playing Lisa as a teen.
- Jennifer Hewitt is dog faced.
- Jennifer Cooledge should play Lisa, they have the same look.
- Jennifer Connelly should play Steve.
- Maybe Mae Whitman could do it.
- Jennifer Aniston will play Tucker.
R309 is blind.
- Meredith Baxter would be perfection playing Lisa. Just imagine the anguish she could portray for the crying scenes in the prayer closet!
- Mereditch Baxter will play Donut.
- I agree with the Mae Whitman pick
- Yes I believe everyone is entitled to their own brand of imaginary friends, however I don't think anyone is entitled to decide whom I, an American Citizen, can love and share my life with. It's ironic and has caused me quite a bit of soul searching in that I feel towards them as they do towards me in that some of them are probably OK, but really not to be trusted especially around young children, and I'd feel much better if they were all shipped to an island somewhere where they can spend their days driving mini-vans, baking cookies and putting each others lives under microscopes for inspections. As for me, I loved TFOL however it's sad to me that they ended up arrogant judgmental people. And there's Nancy - the biggest dyke ever slinging her self loathing crap around - give me a break.
- I had to read almost the entire post at R315 (until the shipping them off to a desert ilsand) to figure out if it was someone posing as Lisa doing a parody post or not.
If there was still any doubt about where she's living....this picture is definitely L.A.
Take-out for one, on the balcony of her westside apartment.....and still no mention of Steve.....hmmm.
- Is Lisa keeping her weight off?
- And she also recently posted this blog....having not blogged in a loooong time. Another "hmmm."
- Lisa Whelchel on how to make friends when you are older...
DAMAGED GOODS ARE STILL GOOD
Lisa Whelchel, the author of “Friendship for Grown-Ups: What I Missed and Learned Along the Way,” says she isn’t perfect and doesn’t want her friends to be either. “People who give the appearance of being perfect people put that standard of perfection on themselves and they’ll put that standard on you,” said Ms. Whelchel, who played Blair on the television series “The Facts of Life.” “I prefer to find people who have really blown it in life.”
- In other words, what Lisa said, is you take the good, you take the bad..
- Why would she live over there, of all places?
So, she's clearly left Steve, right? Is there any news about him on his church's website or from the kids' twitter feeds?
- well according to the blog, she came back from Europe heavier than ever. So is the chronology Taping Survivor from April - early May, June trip to Europe with kids (but no Steve). and now she is still in the LA apartment?
Perhaps she is staying in LA since she will need to be there for the live Survivor finale.
- Where's Lisa's blog?
- She unfriended me on facebook, the bitch.
- "I licked my way across Europe."
- I pretty sure that isn't an apartment. I think the picture was taken at the Hyatt Regency Century Plaza. The balcony railing, the chair and the view are the same as when I stayed there.
- WHET Steve!?
- She has moved to L.A., at least for now. Presumably she'll be trying to leverage any heat she gets from her Survivor appearance, and L.A. will be the best place for that. No reason she shouldn't be able to book a few guest spots, plus by the time her season of Survivor finishes, it'll be pilot casting season.
- Facebook lists her as married. I don't think she would ever formally divorce him, but I could see her making a new life in LA without him. I predict lots of BS about how busy he is in Texas and can't join her. Much of her followers stay with men who beat the shit out of them, cheat on them, and probably wish all that was wrong with their husband was they didn't want to sleep with them. Sad, sad.
- I hope she shacks up with a nice power lesbian and ditches jesus and steve and has a career resurgence.
- R332, that would be great, but I'm with R331 on this one. She'll never divorce her husband as long as she remains a fundamentalist Christian.
Alas. I had a huge crush on her when I was a kid--she's still a gorgeous woman.
I doubt she's a lesbian, though she does ping a wee bit. I detest fundamentalist Christianity and love hearing about people who leave that behind. It rarely happens, though.
Blair's Big Brown Eyes
- She's obviously on a long personal journey, though.
I wouldn't put it past her to evolve on gay rights and even come out publicly about that sometime soon.
Maybe during the upcoming SURVIVOR media blitz....
(I don't think she's stupid enough to be anti-gay just because she was duped into marrying a closet-case.)
- She seems pretty asexual to me but that's probably a result of having never been properly fucked andliving such a repressed life for so long.
- Who is Buck Hollywood and why is Lisa W. voting for him?
- Sounds like a porn star
- I can't see her coming out for gay rights, R334. Sorry. I'm honestly not trying to be snarky with you here, but you must not have encountered many fundies.
I grew up around them and work with some of them now. People are complex and not all fundies are terrible people. LW seems to have a good heart in many ways.
But fundies simply do not support gay rights. They may be "friends" with gay people, they may be genuinely disgusted with hateful homophobia...but they "love the sinner not the sin."
It does seem cool that she's on a journey that's brought her to be interested in books and movies, etc. She doesn't seem to be hateful.
R335--sadly, I think you're probably right. Closeted gay husband, religious brain-washing, etc. Wouldn't surprise me if she's ever had good sex at all. Kind of sad.
- You could be right. I just hold out a little hope, based on things like her friendship with Buck Hollywood....!
- Hey, hope is always good, R334. ;)
Maybe it's fond memories of my baby-dyke celeb crush, but I can't help but like her in many ways. I read an interview with her several years ago--from some Christian magazine or another. The woman interviewing her mentioned single moms (rather disdainfully--Christian of her, eh?) and LW said, "Hey, now, I'm not going to jump on the bandwagon of giving single parents a hard time. They've got a hard job."
I thought that was cool--that she challenged one of her fundie comrades. It showed a bit of independent thinking and moxie. Who knows--maybe there is hope for her. I've kept up with her a bit over the years, I admit--you know how you look fondly on that pre-teen crush?
We'll just see how see comes across on Survivor.
Sometimes When Jo and Blair Touch R333
- There's no way she's not gay-friendly if this is Buck Hollywood.
- ... on the other hand she's friends with this woman, who defended chik-fil-a....
- When is Survivor premiering?
- BREAKING! Lisa's daughter has dry sockets, and is being comforted with Vicodin and her gay-ish boyfriend.
- [quote] I got a contact today. Mono vision. I read out of one eye & drive from the other. No more readers. Old age in the 21st century. I love it.
- Are the Blair Necessities guys going to recap her Survivor appearances?
- Here are some things I learned from following the supposed Survivor spoiler @thegamesurvivor:
" Lisa Whelchel struggles early with the conditions and the lies on Survivor: Philippines on CBS!!!! September 19, 90 minutes! "
Lisa is visited by her preacher brother for the family visit episode.
The cast is officially revealed by CBS August 15 and the show premieres September 19.
- The Lisa apologists remind me of when she and the other girls went on OutQ to promote the FOL dvd release. Apparently she pretended she didn't know that OutQ was a gay radio channel, but then stayed the whole interview anyway. "Oh my, how tolerant" squealed her ninny fans. The fact that she had to put on a charade acting like she didn't know she was on a gay channel, shows just how gay-friendly she ain't.
- R348 = paranoid schizophrenic
- The Blair Necessities guy thinks Lisa is mental.
- A rambling blog post from Lisa ends with this:
[quote]...prompted me to ask myself if I’m still clutching things I want to hold onto even though the Lord has made it clear that He has a better plan. I’m not going to indict myself by answering that question.
- I don't get this:
That was the year my mother hid my first bra in the bottom of my stocking. She really wanted to see my face. She wasn’t trying to withhold any good thing from me.
- Great new picture of Lisa on her Twitter account today.
I think the Survivor cast announcement is tomorrow.
- R354 - Lisa looks really cute there.
- It made think "hmmm" too, R352.
The part about the bra was just odd, R353. Her mother wanted to present her with her first training bra, in front of her father & brother, while gathered around the Christmas tree???? I won't speak for all women, but that rite-of-passage is usually not a family event.
The new pic is fantastic! The longer hair is very flattering.
- The thing about the bra is really odd. I would have been mortified.
- At least it wasn't a you-know-what bra....
- [quote]I'm gonna go on record right now and say that Lisa's stint on Survivor will mark the end of Datalounge's love affair with her.
I hope so. People on here truly seem to be giving a fundie homophobe a pass for some unfathomable reason, and every time someone defends her, it sounds more circuitous and fabricated than the last time.
Unless she "comes out" as gay-friendly and a vocal supporter for gay rights in every way, I'm not inclined to like or favor a fundie celeb. And it's surprising to hear that any DLers are.
Even the most tolerant tweets you quote don't sound that way to me.
- This is the craziest DL thread in a long time!!!
- i think she has evolved. i think she will surprise you. (inevitable divorce from her obviously gay husband notwithstanding.)
- Speaking of the inevitable divorce (or permanent separation, whatever), have you noticed that along with the new picture, she's changed her caption to: "Actress, author, speaker" from something like "author, wife, mother?"
- R362 - interesting observation.
- Yes, I did notice that R362. She changed the caption last week. I don't recall the exact order, but it used to be "wife" & "mother" were first/second, and "actress" was definitely last. Now, it's first. I wondered what that "meant" -- just the result of Survivor, or has she actually got some other irons in the fire?
- I wish someone knew the husband. I would love to see another video of him in his office.
- Why are some people surprised about all the comments on this thread?
Would it be so unthinkable to find posts exactly like the ones on this thread? The answer is that it is ALMOST unthinkable, if you were among gay men and women.
But if you were on a website populated with lots of typical str8 housewives and the like, well these are exactly the kinds of responses you would expect.
really it almost makes you want to vomit reading this crap, but the cunts are here.
This is not a gay website, not at all. The only people who think it is are probably the str8 hags who NEED it to be, otherwise they would just be giving each other mental handjobs the whole time they're here.
Let's be sure to thank all those "We NEED str8 women here" assholes like WBM and VOTN. You fucks are the worst Uncle Toms, I swear. But you're too stupid to know it, of course.
- And what impenetrable force led to your clicking the thread, R366?
- It was the impenetrable stench of your cunt, 367.
- When's the last time White Belt Man's been around here? 2005?
- Wow, r366.
Meds adjustment, stat.
- Anyway, I finally saw the video of her husband. Wow, you guys weren't kidding--he's as gay as Christmas. How do these fundies not see that??? Such baffling people.
You just know they haven't had sex since the last kid was born--what?--20 years ago. How do fundies bear life? Such odd people. They really do live in a 1950's kind of haze, don't they?
And she could be such a hot-ass bitch. If fundies weren't so hell-bent to infringe on my rights, I'd feel sorry for them.
- You can tell the kids in his office kind of get that he's gay.
- You know, R373, I kind of got that impression, as well. He's pretty tightly-wound but seems like a decent fellow, so they probably like him quite a bit.
Kids these days--even the religious ones--are much more savvy than their elders re: gayness. My grandmother's generation thought that Liberace was straight--they had no clue whatsoever. Not sure what LW's excuse is--she worked in Hollywood for years--she had to know the score.....or at least expect.
- making fun of his OCD tidiness with the file folders ...
- WBM never left. He just went anonymous after his racist shit made him a pariah.
- Do you really think he still posts here?
- She finally tweeted about survivor
- I'm a gay man, and I find Whelchel both amusing and sad. She has definite camp appeal.
- I hope DL can have a Survivor thread that is spoiler-free this year.
- She's made Yahoo's front page with the Survivor news. Note how the pastor she married isn't named at all. I find it very odd and off that the name of the husband of such a devoted wife and mother is left off of biographical information. She chose that as her identity for over twenty years of her life and "Cauble" is nowhere to be seen. Weird. I know she wants to use the show as a point of demarcation for her new self, but...
Of course, in my suspicious mind, I wonder if it's to keep people from Googling his name and finding that article she wrote about the arranged, loveless, but Christian marriage or the video. Everybody with a modicum of awareness will be able to read the situation for what it is. Railroaded by her pastor, her former musican BF who wasn't threatened by Steve, presumably because he had such an effeminite presentation. I wonder if they'll try to scrub stuff from the internet before the show airs.
[quote]When "The Facts of Life" ended in 1988, Whelchel married a pastor and has been a stay-at-home mom homeschooling her three children. After sending her youngest off to college, the devout Christian "went on a vision quest" to figure out what she wanted to do with her life after focusing all her energy on raising her children. With encouragement from a friend, Whelchel tweeted a video to host Jeff Probst proclaiming her desire to be a contestant on the show.
- [quote] Note how the pastor she married isn't named at all.
He isn't a pastor. He is in charge of the music ministry. Or was.
- They're getting a quiet divorce. I would guess.
- What is the difference between "pastor" and "minister?" One is ordained and the other not? Anyway, she referred to him as a pastor in her arranged marriage article.
[quote]Every so often, he would take me out for “the talk”—the one where, because of his integrity and desire not to take advantage of his position as a pastor, he would confess that he was feeling more for me than friendship.
- Clancy tweeted that she and her dad took a flower arranging class for Haven's wedding and then posted a picture of her and Steve holding the bouquets they made.
- [quote] What is the difference between "pastor" and "minister?"
Just because someone is in charge of a particular ministry does not mean they are ordained. When it comes to things like "music" it's usually run by a lay person who is a musical or chorus director in their life away from the church.
- He's an assistant pastor.
- oh my. the jokes write themselves...
- Uh, most men would rather do... well just about anything than arrange flowers. I know many dads who were involved in their child's wedding but none of them went near the flowers. I can't imagine that the musician son she has doesn't know the truth about his dad. I still can't believe she lets him play secular rock and not Christian rock,and I have no idea why her kids don't hate her after all that hot saucing.
- Well, maybe they are splitting up amicably. Maybe he is slowly growing to accept his sexuality, and maybe she's even being supportive. Who knows?
Just because Steve is involved in his daughter's upcoming wedding doesn't mean he and Lisa are living together anymore. Of course he'd still play a part in their childrens' lives...
But, yeah. Flower arranging class. !!!
- Was that really in Clancy's tweet or is the Lisa Whelchel Troll back?
- their children really are stunning.
- and tucker really does look like a jonas brother.
- That's creepy. They could be twins.
- The tweet was not the troll, Clancy really did tweet that. I think Clancy looks just like Lisa.
- I think Clancy is prettier.
- It'd be great if there was a starstruck queen on Lisa's Survivor tribe who bugged her nonstop with questions about Geri and Donut and 'panking and all the rest.
- No one knows about 'panking besides us and a bunch of christian housewives
- I hope she ruins the whole thing like the bike trip she took with her mom.
- [quote]the bike trip she took with her mom.
I don't remember that...
- R402, chilli & sea bass ring a bell? If not search The Blair Necessities. Great tale.
- Link to the bike ride with Mom story
- HOT SAUCE!
- Did Brent and Josh refuse to do the Amazing Race unless LW were included?
- Christ, those people at the Blair Necessities are obsessed. That is one long ass post I can't bring myself to read.
So it was just an average ill-conceived mother daughter weekend? Isn't mama the one who introduced Lisa to the born-again ways?
- Clancy's twitter is fancyclancy if you want to see a photo of the flower arranging.
- r394, sharon....
- Who is Clancy marrying?
- Thanks r404 -- I remember the chili and sea bass now -- also how much she missed Steve.
She doesn't seem to miss him any more.
- I hope she over-shares what happened with her and Steve.
- Clancy is the youngest, she is not getting married. Haven is marrying a musician at her church in October, they have been dating since she was 16.
- [quote] I was told to "get ready for a wild ride!" Ok, I will buckle up...but I'm gonna throw my hands up in the air! Don't wanna miss a thing.
- R414, hmmm, sounds like she's marrying her father...
- The fiance looks a lot like her brother Tucker.
- Haven's fiance looks nothing like Tucker. Clancy's boyfriend sort of looks a little like Tucker but more like a young Oliver Platt...shudder...
- I wonder if the girls ever took one of those purity pledges with Steve.
- I liked BN but then Lisa locked him out by putting her blog behind a Mommy Wall.
- Blair Necessities
- That would have been hilarious, R399!
When I saw there was a lesbian and a sex therapist among the contestants, I PRAYED that they would be in Lisa's tribe! Alas, the Lord did not hear me. How great would that have been?! I suppose there is still hope when the tribes merge....
I tead read somewhere that only one of the contestants recognized Lisa/knew who she was, when the competition started. I'm sure that will be a "thing" in the first few episodes, as word spreads that they have a former tv star in their midst. Should be pretty entertaining.
- Jeff Kent, the former L.A. Dodger and San Francisco Giant, is a pretty big deal in the sports world. He was a NL MVP back in the day. Isn't he the other identified Christian in the group?
- Yes, R425. There is also a seminary student/army reservist (female) who plans to become an Army chaplain. And I think one of returnees, Supkin (??) is also a born-again, too. (He started following Lisa on twitter couple months ago, fueling the speculation that Lisa was one of the contestants).
- Interview with Lisa.
- [quote]Christ, those people at the Blair Necessities are obsessed.
It's funny anyone on this thread would laugh at other stalker-fans.
Seriously, the posts on here sound as obsessed (and wrong-headed) as any Pony post from years ago.
- she does look pretty good with the exception of her Joan Crawford eyebrows.
- [quote] Just home from a conference in CO. A-mazing. Broadway's original "Christine" & "The Phantom" were attending & sang as a surprise. Highlight!
Really? Because I doubt that Sarah Brightman and Michael Crawford attended some fundie conference in Colorado.
- The dissection of LW's blog posts over at Blair Neccessities is intense. I mean the time investment it took to produce the blog... That really can't be compared to the throw off posts we do here.
It's not such a bad thing to see that someone develops over time and she really does seem to have grown.
- R430 - The eyebrows were distracting, but otherwise, Lisa looks fabulous.
- For the noobs having such a weird reaction to BN, Lisa was posting at least weekly at that point and frankly there wasn't a hell of a lot beyond personal blogs and news sites and fan/fan fiction sites on the internet at that time. Her blog was way more interesting than just about everything else out there. I don't see anything weird about it all. It was two friends who would get together and joke about what they were reading the same way you'll watch a bad movie or terrible tv show with a friend and turn it into a drinking game and crack jokes. And the BN guys were hilarious.
- BREAKING: Lisa has taken up drinking!
[quote]Feeling under the weather today. Silly little cold. DVD, cheese & crackers, brownies, glass of Red & friends. Makes a sick day a fun night.
- Really fun depending on how many glasses she has.
- maybe she means red bull.
- Cake tastings, crackers, cheese, brownies......
Girl needs to STOP, if she wants to maintain her svelte, smokin' post-Survivor figure! (the wine, I endorse)
- Yeah, the eyebrows are tragic, R433. I always thought she had really great, striking eyebrows -- when they were thicker. Whoever waxed/shaped them for Survivor should be shot. Also...I think she may have botoxed her forehead pre-Survivor?? I don't remember it looking quite so frozen, a year ago, in the TV Land awards interviews.
- [quote] Clancy taught me about Pinterest today and helped me set up my boards. I'm in love. Makes me want to cook & decorate & have another baby!
- I am going to have to subscribe at DL again just so I can post Lisa Whelchel's Survivor Diary.
Why didn't I save all those fake posts I used to do?
- [quote] Borrowed my daughter's car. All 80's weekend on 1 of her presets. Had to roll down the window & sing. I miss my leg warmers & shoulder pads!-
- [quote] Road trip with my dog today. First stop... share a Sonic Wave. (Route 44 Water)
- LWT is back!
- welcome back lwt, and yes you must resurrect your blog.
- I guess she got custody of Donut.
- um, Lisa and Steve are divorced. Finite.
- link please!!!
- her latest tweet is a line from william blake. girl is getting edumacated!
- she ain't divorced. He is currently in Van Nuys as an assistant pastor.
- But she lists her location in Texas now, despite her appearance on Survivor and other Christian indulgences. Even her kids know about dad.
- They've been living in Texas for years. They still own a house there. Duh.
Is Steve's move to Van Nuys a new thing?
- Did you guys know that the church she and hubby belong to, Foursquare Gospel, was started by Aimee Semple McPherson?
- Oh, granted, this came from wikipedia but:
"The tenets of Foursquare Gospel, as put forth by McPherson herself, held that one should not remarry while their previous spouse was still alive..."
Of course, hypocrisy is one of the main aspects of fundamentalism, so I suppose LW could very well divorce her hubby, since her church's founder divorced and married for a second time...while decreeing that it was sinful to do so.
But I kind of doubt it. Her husband is pictured prominently on her website, guys.
I love following this thread--she's kind of a trip and I sort of like her--but I truly don't understand why a few of you are so invested in her divorcing and becoming a progressive Christian. ?????
- OMG--does anyone remember this TV Movie?
"A television film about the events surrounding her 1926 disappearance, The Disappearance of Aimee (1976) starred Faye Dunaway as McPherson and Bette Davis as her mother."
A slight diversion from LW but it *does* involve the founder of her church.....any way to justify a tv movie with Faye Dunaway as a televangelist and Bette Davis as her mother.... ;)
- Shit, sorry about the link.
- The last pictures with Steve are from 2009. She has not mentioned him since the death of her mother-in-law which was two years ago, I think.
- right the kids have tweeted about him and shown pics with him, but that doesn't mean they aren't separated...
- Steve attended the TV LAND awards with Lisa last year (April), along with the kids. I don't think there are pics, but I spotted him seated next to her during the broadcast. Also, a day or two after the awards were filmed, Lisa popped up on TMZ, signing autographs as she left her hotel...with Steve & the kids in the background.
Still, It does seem odd that Lisa NEVER mentions Steve, given how much she mentions the rest of her family, including Donut. When she & the daughters returned from their excellent European vacation, in late June, she said she was happy to be home, but there was no, "I'm so happy to see Steve!" Mind you, she had just been in the Philippines, March - late April, filming Survivor. There was also mention of a couple trips to Los Angeles, in the past six months. So...I think it's safe to say that Lisa & Steve have not spent much time together in 2012. They can call it whatever they want to, but it would SEEM that they are leading seperate lives (even if sharing same street address).
And I have NO idea why I care......other than she is BLAIR!
- LOL, R459, I have no idea why I care, either...except I had a huge babydyke crush on her the first couple of seasons of FOL.
Yeah, maybe some of you have a point about there being a separation, as opposed to a divorce. Hard to say.
I still find it odd that Steve is on her website regardless of when the pics were taken.....sorry, that doesn't indicate divorce or separation to me. Divorced people don't post pictures of their exes on their website---unless it's for the benefit of the kids.....and her "kids" are young adults now.
It is possible she has to be "closeted" about being separated since so much of her porfessional Christian schtick has been "wife, mother" blah blah.
- Maybe Steve asked her to stop writing about him since much of what she said was hardly flattering.
- I think she or her kids or a friend have read threads like this, and our take on the video of steve, and she finally realizes she married a gay man.
- [quote]I still find it odd that Steve is on her website regardless of when the pics were taken.....
I don't find it odd since she posted the pictures as they were being taken, so it's a historical document for the family. Or at least that's how I remember her website before she moved most of her activity to Twitter. It would be weirder if she went back and edited Steve out. 2009 is the last family occasion that Steve's in, but she has other stuff about the family that's very recent.
[quote]Maybe Steve asked her to stop writing about him since much of what she said was hardly flattering.
This is possible. The last entry about Steve I recall reading on her Twitter was about experiencing an empty nest syndrome and having a husband who ignores her. It was a sad entry because she was experiencing a lot of distress and he was completely unavailable to her. It was very pointed. The next entry that referred to Steve after that was during her mother-in-law's funeral. I went back to look for the empty nest tweet and it's not there, but the MIL tweet is.
- or, again, they have quietly separated on account of his homosexuality.
- Wouldn't surprise me. She was always talking about how he ignored her...which may or may not have been true.
I get the feeling Ms. LW goes on and on a bit. Ignoring her might be the only way to stop from going insane.
As much as I love women, some of them talk and talk and talk and talk....and all but demand that you listentoeveryword and endlesslyprocess about it. (I'm a lesbian, by the way.) LW strikes me as that type...at least when she was younger. She seems to have settled down a bit in middle age.
Do you guys remember when Steve fell off the roof of their house putting up Christmas lights and she documented every damned minute of the ordeal in her scrapbook? It was on the Blair Necessities blog. Titled "Daddy Fell Off The Roof." Seriously.
Yeah, I think I'd finally have to tell her to shut up about me, too. She's a character.
- Ah, R464, I didn't realize that he was ignoring her under those circumstances. That's entirely different from ignoring her beause she chatters.
That isn't at all cool of him, if true. Not supportive of her as a friend, at the very least.
- I wonder if he has a boyfriend.
- I've wondered the same thing, R468. I'd guess that if he does, it's a major secret, given the dogma of his church (who is also his employer).
I've also wondered if he hasn't, for years, been chasing guys while she was out on speaking engagements. I grew up around fundies. The closeted ones often (hell, usually) sneak out. Very much a double-life they lead.
Either that or he's gotten so uptight and shut down that he doesn't interact with anybody.
I've also always found it kind of odd how quickly and suddenly he started pursuing LW. The story of their "arranged" marriage is weird, no matter what kind of spin she's put on it.
I've known too many closeted, guilt-ridden Bible-thumpers who exhibit the same sort of behavior as he did: suddenly, *suddenly* [cue music] in luuuuuuv with some woman after being a "bachelor" for so many years.
- Sorry--his church, *which* is his employer.
- Is there a gay subculture among evangelicals? Do they acknowledge each other somehow? Or are they so distanced from themselves that they're also distanced from others, even if the others are also closeted? Do they treat each other with contempt? So many questions. Oh, to be an ethnographer among them.
- R471, I'd love to be an evangelical or fundamentalist ethnographer. I have a feeling the questions would only lead to more questions.
It's been years since I spent a lot of time with them, but my memories of the gay fundies in the mid-South are relatively vivid....miraculously, considering how many drugs I did in those days.
I never saw a gay fundie subculture, really, but I wasn't really one of them, so maybe I missed something. The gay fundies I encountered were almost frantic to avoid recognition. I once saw a fundie I knew at a gay party and he literally froze against the wall to try to hide from me. It was actually kind of comical.
Sometimes, though, they were more than happy to be your big buddy when they were drunk in a bar or at a party ....but the next time you saw them in the "real" world, they behaved rather coldly.
I do recall that there was a major disconnect, in general. I don't miss interacting with them. There's a reason why many of them are so mean-spirited: absolute shameful misery.
- I remember her blog and message board posts being increasingly cryptic and sad. She stopped talking about Steve so much and said she was going through some life ordeal or test from God. This seemed to be shortly after her European bike trip. We all speculated at the time there were marital troubles. Then she really stopped her blog and the only way we could learn her current state was either her book club message board OR her monthly emails (which centered around selling her books). It was until she started tweeting that we had some insight into her life again. And she has rarely mentioned him, though all the kids and even the dog are featured.
I think either a) he asked her not to tweet/write about him as he took umbrage with all the gay rumors or b) they are separated. I think she will have no choice but to tell the truth in all the press she will be doing for Survivor and then we will know for sure. I wonder if she will get a letter from Steve on the island or her kids. Her kids would be a sure sign Steve is out of the picture.
- Someone upthread who read her most recent book said that she had a bit of mini-breakdown around the time that her internet activity became more cryptic and dwindled. I think that was the topic of her book. Who knows if and how much of it was precipitated by realizing the situation she was in with her husband? Or just empty nest, gaining a new identity stuff.
- given how close she is with all three kids, i would guess it's the former.
- Long article about Lisa & Survivor at Fox news......
'Facts of Life' star and devout Christian Lisa Whelchel said she'll lie like a rug if it helps her win 'Survivor' | Fox News
To fans of a certain age, Lisa Whelchel is forever linked with Blair Warner, the spoiled, preppy rich girl she played on the long-running ‘80s sitcom, “The Facts of Life.” But Whelchel may change that image forever with her turn on “Survivor: Philippines.”
“Being on ‘Survivor’ has been a dream of mine since the show first got on the air,” Whelchel told FOX411. “I just love the show. I’m a huge fan – I’ve watched every episode!”
Whelchel was so eager to be cast on the 25th season of her favorite show, she pleaded her case on two popular social networking sites.
“I filmed a little audition video, and then I put it on my Twitter and Facebook, and asked everybody to retweet it @JeffProbst and @CBS to try and get somebody to watch it and let me come to the auditions,” explained Whelchel. “It ended up on a ‘Survivor’ bulletin board, and one of the casting directors saw it and contacted me through my website to see if I would come out and audition, and so that’s how it happened!"
Even though some celebrities would think it beneath them to be cast with “civilians” on a reality show, Whelchel had no qualms.
“I sent a tweet to Jeff Probst saying, ‘Why don’t you do a celebrity vs. has-beens version of the show? I’ll be on the has-beens’ side,” laughed Whelchel. “I just wanted to be on the show!’
Whelchel has the full support of her former “Facts of Life” cast mates for her new venture, including the “delightful and spunky” Charlotte Rae, who played housemother “Mrs. Garret.”
“She has always been a big fan of anything that I have done since I’ve been off the show–she’s been a huge support,” said Whelchel. “Nancy McKeon, who played Jo, was thrilled because she knew that I had wanted to be on the show. And Mindy Cohn, who played Natalie, wrote and said she’d be rooting for me.”
In preparing for “Survivor,” Whelchel realized that she was at something of a disadvantage competing against contestants two or even three decades younger.
“I had to come face to face with the fact that in my mind, I was still 25-years-old,” explained Whelchel. “The last time I did something like this, I was on ‘Battle of the Network Stars’ in the early ‘80s. I competed and I won the obstacle course and made the winning touchdown, and I thought to myself, ‘Yeah! I’m athletic–I can do this!’ and somewhere I missed those 25 years where I suddenly aged and I’m now in a 49-year-old body with a 25-year-old mentality. I came face-to-face with the reality of how hard this was going to be, and that my body may not cooperate with me.”
A devout Christian, Whelchel was also concerned about how her deeply held religious convictions would come across on a reality show.
“Going into it, I really didn’t want to even pray,” said Whelchel. “Even though that is a part of my everyday personal life, it usually doesn’t translate well on television, especially in the context of a game.”
Whelchel also wanted to make it clear that she was not asking God for any special favors during the competition.
“There’s a part of me that thinks, ‘Yes, God is interested in each of our lives,’ so if we’re playing ‘Survivor,’ then He’s interested in us playing ‘Survivor,’” explained Whelchel. “But in the big scheme of things, I really don’t think God cares who wins ‘Survivor’ or who wins what challenge. I don’t think He has a favorite a football team or a favorite country, and so I didn’t want it to come across that I was asking God to be on my side to help me win a challenge or win a million dollars. That just doesn’t seem to line up with who God is, and it’s hard to translate having a conversation with God in prayer that’s personal in the context of a game. So, I didn’t even want to pray, even though that’s a big part of my life personally.”
The mother of three did bring a copy of the Bible as her luxury item, along with some trepidation about what most “Survivor” players resort to in order to win the game.
“I was really concerned about the possibility of having to lie on ‘Survivor,’ confessed Whelchel. “I didn’t want to lie and I wasn’t planning on lying if I could avoid it, but I also knew the game and I knew what it took to play the game and I knew that it would be naive to think that you could play the game without lying. Although I was worried about – especially Christians – judging me, because they might say, ‘OK, you say you’re a Christian, you’re supposed representing God and you’re lying.’ And they would have felt it was just an excuse to say, ‘Yes, but it is just a game.’ But the truth is that it IS a game. The rules of the game are, ‘There are no rules.’ Everybody signs up for the same game. I would just hope that I would be able to keep that mindset while playing the game.”
Even if Whelchel had some reservations about lying during “Survivor” gameplay, she’s not too concerned about the cursing and occasional nudity on the show.
“It doesn’t bother me,” declared Whelchel. “Maybe because, personally, I have experienced so much judgment myself, I go overboard on the mercy. So, I have a whole lot of leeway with (my competitors) and I celebrate whoever they are. I have actually really learned to seek out people who are way different from me and way outside my comfort zone, because I find them so fascinating and interesting. It makes me want to get to know them – it’s like going on a trip to a foreign country, learning about something that I don’t experience in my every day life.”
If Whelchel eventually wins to top prize on “Survivor,” she already has plans for the million bucks.
“My brother just started a church in a really poor neighborhood of California, and they have been doing just the most wonderful things, like giving away fully decorated Christmas trees at Christmas, bicycles and backpacks filled with school supplies,” Whelchel said of the Freedom Church in Chatsworth, Calif. “I love what he’s doing and it would be a joy to give away 10 percent to him. Then, after that, I have a daughter that’s getting married in October and another one that’s marrying age, and three in college – so I hope that there’s something leftover for me to start a new career!”
- Not ONE word about Steve....
cool facebook page linked.
- Still, an odd game not only for a devout Christian to watch, but to play.
Among believers, her reservations would be considered attempts by the Holy Spirit to counsel her. That she disregards the voice of caution after a life in ministry is troubling.
- I just noticed that Lisa isn't wearing any rings in the new headshots on her new website. Hmmm...
- When Survivor was announced, I noticed that she wasn't wearing her wedding rings in the publicity photos & pre-game interviews...but figured that didn't necessarily mean/prove anything. Perhaps she didn't want to risk losing them (if she went far & lost a lot of weight), or being otherwise damaged, so she left them at home. That seems reasonable.
But it made me wonder.... so I looked at her pictures from the Europe trip (post- Philippines), again. In every picture, her left hand was hidden from view -- stuffed in coat pocket, under a table, or otherwise obscured (almost like she was doing it intentionally). Same with the new headshots on her website. There is one where you can sorta see her left hand -- but her right hand is folded partially over it. It doesn't look like she's wearing her wedding rings...but I can't tell for certain.
- She's gorgeous in that pic R482 - beautiful hair and smile.
- i am telling you: they are divorcing or diorced.
- I found her discussion about god not caring who wins Survivor and not having a favorite football team or country rather interesting. Not something I would have expected from someone who describes themselves as "devout" because those sorts of motives for prayer seem to be the ones visibly manifested by Christians in the popular media.
- I'm surprised she doesn't have an unlisted number. I looked her up in the white pages and she's living in an apartment in Flower Mound.
I know they sold their huge house a few months ago because I saw the MLS listing and she mentioned she was moving. Steve is still listed as living in Lantana.
- Lisa is going to be on The Talk today. I wonder if she'll keep her left hand covered or under the table.
- Flower Mound?!
- Flower Mound, Texas...not too far from their old house.
- It's just such an ironic name given the sexual starvation in that relationship.
- I agree R485, I found that interesting as well. She's said a few interesting things lately. Just read an interview in which she says that she decided to pursue acting again during her "vision quest" last summer, and was planning to move back to California. Then Survivor came along and delayed the move, but she will definitely be moving to CA in January. Of course, no mention of Steve....sounded like a completely unilateral decision.
And for some reason, it made me smile when I read that Mindy Cohn dropped her a line to wish her well and that she would be rooting for her. For years, I've been reading (here) that Mindy hates her guts. They may not be close, but clearly Mindy doesn't hate her.
R490, I know, right?? I couldn't help but giggle at the name, myself.
Speaking of sexual starvation....I recall reading an interview a few years ago in which she talked about how difficult her deliveries were. There were complications with all three kids, and all three were born via C-section. After her third pregnancy -- in which her C-section scar split open (shudder) during the last trimester -- her OBGYN recommended that she not have anymore children. She went on to say that she didn't do anything "different" regarding birth control, but never got pregnant again.
Yep. Abstinence IS 100% effective.
- oh my lord!!
- From yet another interview....this made me laugh:
Is there any part of the competition that you have witnessed on past shows that you were not looking forward to?
"Well, for one, wearing a bathing suit on television. I think there are very few 49-year-olds that would really want to do that. When I had to fill out what was the craziest thing I would do for a million dollars when I was at my audition, I said wearing a bathing suit on television. So I must really love this game to be willing to do that."
I wouldn't have been brave enough to wear a bathing suit on t.v. at ANY age, but especially now in my 40s. I have to say....I am looking forward to that.
- Talking about her pregnancies, I remember reading on The Family Dream Trip blog that she thought she was pregnant but it was a false alarm.
- Steve's still listed as living in TX when he's the asst. pastor at a church in CA?
- Steve has worked for Church on The Way for years.
He used to be the organist. I think he's a tech guy now or something. I don't know how he can work from Texas but he does. He also arranges big events for the Foursquare denomination.
- Steve's listed as a pastor at the Van Nuys church website at R450's link. Maybe he spends time between there and the one in Dallas...
- those kinds of websites are NEVER updated.
- I'm watching Lisa on The Talk right now. She looks great...so cute and funny. She isn't wearing any rings.
- she just seems SO happy and sweet. and think about it: she was married (off) to a closeted gay guy less than a year after her role on Facts ended.
she never had a chance to become a mature adult.
- When DOES it premiere?
- Anybody read the Enquirer today?
- SOMEONE START A NEW THREAD!
"Facts of Life star Lisa Whelchel 'secretly ends marriage after 23 years'"
- Only surprise was the timing, R504
- i knew it i knew it i knew it!!!!
- [quote] Haven, Clancy & I painted our beloved, "Donut" on Pet Portrait Day. Diva Dog. :)
- I don't get why you all are so obsessed with her.
- Why do you care, R508? There are plenty of other threads for you to try and derail on DL.
Move it along, toots!
- R509-I don't. Just find it odd how obsessed you all act about this Christian woman.
- You can vote for Lisa as player of the week and enter for a $10,000 prize.
- [quote]Steve has worked for Church on The Way for years. He used to be the organist.
I'm quite certain he still is an organist. Perhaps more than ever since the divorce.
- W&W for R512.
- What could this be about? I don't watch SNL.
[quote]Having a political conversation. Haven asked a question & Clancy answered, "Didn't you see the SNL skit. They explained it." #MomFail
- Hmmm. Interesting. I wonder if her children have helped educate her.
- I hate to be a beyotch but since this anonymous I'll go ahead and suggest that the blonde daughter get a nose job.
- As an Angeleno, this tweet made me laugh:
I live 10 miles from the recent Irving epicenter. Having survived the Northridge quake. I was quite shaken. img.ly/nXKR
3:36pm - 30 Sep 12
- I don't think Clancy needs a nose job. However, a new a hair style, and toning down the blonde, would do her a world of good. Also, she needs to stop that overly-cutesy tilting of her head, when photographed.
- Is Clancy marrying a gay guy like her mom?
- her tweets make it clear she's cool with the gays
- [quote] Is Clancy marrying a gay guy like her mom?
Clancy's not the one getting married. Haven, the older daughter, is.
- She said on her facebook she doesn't hate the gays..I'll find it.
"For Ronald, setting the record straight. No, I definitely don't hate gays! Thanks for asking and allowing me to answer for myself. :)"
However, I don't know if it's a love the sinner thing or not. I used to think Candace Cameron was a more tolerant Christian and then she went waving around bags of Chick Fil A.
- I wonder how aware the kids are of their father's sexuality.
- at this point?
VERY, I am sure.
- Sitting by the fire with the two-weeks-away-almost-bride. Planning the Big Day. (Incognito, of course.:) instagr.am/p/QfOWD_PjaU/
9:33am - 7 Oct 12
I've seen this t-shirt before, and it made me laugh. Seems very appropriate. Also, nice rack!!
- "Take chances, make mistakes, get messy!" - Ms. Frizzle
10:41am - 7 Oct 12
Lisa, feeling reckless ......
- My torch is still on fire. Yay! New Survivor Photo from Episode 4. instagr.am/p/Qidm2kPjbQ/
3:43pm - 8 Oct 12
- Lisa looks a good decade younger than her age.
- She looks great these days. I'm also liking her more and more. I can't access Facebook here at work to provide a link but she addresses the gay issue in greater length. Looks like she is okay with teh gays. She used the term "sexual orientation" instead of "sexual preference."
That's a pretty good sign, I think.
It's on her main page in the segment on the right where people leave her messages--it's near the top.
I think she seems a bit hotter, too, lately.
- [quote] Haven gets married today. The morning began w/her, Clancy & me snuggled in a twin bed happy crying. So glad when words fail, tears can fall.
- That's seriously sweet. Gay ex-husband and all, they clearly have a great relationship with their kids.
- [quote] On board for a quick trip to LA. Good thing I'll be in the air soon because only the sky is big enough to contain my joy & gratitude today.
- Hmm, a quick trip to LA on the weekend....house-hunting, or closing on one, perhaps?
- Sorry R533, here's the reason for her quick trip to LA:
[quote] So excited! I'm going to be on the @JeffProbstShow. I would love to meet you this Wednesday. Come see me! Here's how -
- Could that be a hint that she's getting booted soon?
- sure why not.
- She mud wrestled with a sex therapist! Do you think they might have had a conversation about Steve's intimacy issues?
http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20641905,00.html?xid=rss-topheadlines&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed: people/headlines (PEOPLE.com: Top Headlines)
- LOL!! This picture is the most fantastically lesbian thing that I have seen, maybe ever!
- She is winning major points on that show, really impressive, so not a wimp or pampered kid star. And sweet too, the kind that gives Christians a good name. I'm glad she did the show and hope she's around to the end. Who knew.
- She's kicking ass on the show.
- They all seem so nice I kinda hate to do this, but here is a recent photo of Steve, and OH MY (in George Takai voice) does he have 'gay handclasp"...
Now, if they are all coming to terms with him being gay, than I wish them all the best, and again, they clearly raised some beautiful (and seemingly nice) children.
But if they are still in denial about his sexual orientation........
- no shame
- Lisa is going to be on the Jeff Probst Show tomorrow, to talk about her divorce & Survivor.
[quote]Don't forget to watch the @JeffProbstShow tomorrow where I beat the host at his own game. #1SurvivorFan img.ly/p1UQ
6:43am - 28 Oct 12[/quote]
Maybe it's just this picture/dress....but she appears to have re-gained much of the weight she lost on Survivor.
- Yeah, she's gained weight back, but that happens to most contestants. She still looks super cute.
- She's making a very good impression on the JP show -- but I didn't realize she's been divorced for a year now.
- So did she say why she got the divorce?
- [quote]So did she say why she got the divorce?
She thought she had to choose between listening to God and listening to her heart, and then realized God was speaking to her through her heart and always had been.
So, no -- no lurid details, but it was still sort of sad to know she lost 24 years, and good to see her take positive steps to enjoy the second half of her life.
- I read that "The Arranged Marriage" article she wrote when I thought they were happily married and even then thought it was weird. Why would God want you to marry someone who grossed you out? And why would you have to psych yourself up to marry someone when surely there were many other single Christian men in the vicinity who would've been interested? It would make a good subject for her next book.
Did anyone see The Talk? Each cast member was dressed as a different Facts of Life character in the beginning. They asked Lisa if Jo was really gay (this always seems to come up when ANY Facts of Life star is interviewed) and Lisa says of course not, she had boyfriends and was married! Didn't STEVE get married?
- She looked great on Jeff Probst's talk show yesterday.
- What R550 doesn't include is that immediately, Sara Gilbert says to Lisa, "I don't care how many boyfriends she had, Jo was a lesbian." Sara also added that she's had her own share of boyfriends and it didn't stop her from becoming a lesbian.
Lisa just laughed at all of it. She also had Tweeted prior to the show that she was really excited that she was gonna meet Lily Tomlin. Lisa loves the ladies!
- she's a good egg.
- When the cast of The Talk dressed up like The Facts of Life characters, I was amazed how Lisa Whelchel hadn't changed a bit. She looked exactly like her Blair character in her uniform.
- I think Lisa had said in the past that she admired Lily Tomlin, and was a big fan.
- She's clearly come a long way. Look what she just retweeted:
Donald Miller @donaldmiller --
Have you noticed there is a correlation between a fear of intimacy and religious fundamentalism? Grace allows us to connect.
- [quote] Yeah, she's gained weight back, but that happens to most contestants. She still looks super cute.[/quote]
Oh, I agree, I was merely making an observation. I think it was so noticeable to me because we're now to the point in Survivor (16-17) days where the weight loss has become really noticeable.
Loved the JPS interview. I really felt for her when she was talking about her divorce. The end bit -- the "On The Couch" segment -- was hilarious. Like Probst, I was thinking, "Poor Lisa!" So out of her element, with the talk of casual sex, spanking, faking orgasms. LOL. She was a good sport though, despite her supreme embarrassment. The Sesame Street reference and "I don't belong on this couch. I don't even belong in this room!" made me laugh out loud.
- [quote]She's making a very good impression on the JP show -- but I didn't realize she's been divorced for a year now.[/quote]
When she said (or more specifically, her mother said) "it's going on a year now," I think she was probably referring to how long it had been since they officially seperated and decided to divorce. (the papers were filed last December & it was finalized in March)
- Agreed, R554! I couldn't believe my eyes!
- No one who is homophobic could say this about an out lesbian.
- It seems that Lisa has clearly changed, since her divorce and being on Survivor. Lisa said that being on Survivor was a healing experience.
- Her Creative Corrections book is truly sick.
- It's also OLD NEWS.
- Thanks for clearing that up, R563! We never would've known if it weren't for you.
- Lisa's kids all turned out really well, and her son at least does not seem to be a fundie at all with his mainstream rock band (not sure about the other two, one married a church musician just like Lisa did). I am amazed they don't hate her after all that hot saucing...I wonder if the hot saucing and other draconian methods were put in the book to pander to her base and she did not use them herself with her kids? It is the only reason I can come up with that they do not hate her.
- 2 weird things:
(1) both daughters hooked up with men who look A LOT like their brother.
(2) the ex-hubby is still obviously an important and included part of the family, even as he seems to be gay as christmas. i think lisa must have been able to accept that. i think she has evolved hugely.
- [quote]CODYWESTMUSIC: Sittin' on a bar stool discussing ''Survivor'' with others and you are very popular, more than any others on the show.
[quote]Lisa Whelchel: I LOVE this! To hear I'm popular w/people sittin' at a bar on a Sunday makes me even happier than if they were in a pew. :)
- i am serious. she is evolving, people!
- She definitely doesn't seem to be concerned about her Christian-mom base.
- Yes, R570. The bar comment is bound to piss off quite a few of them, I think.
I, too, noticed her daughters' significant others' resemblance to their brother. Is it their hipster look? The guy on the sofa looks Hispanic.
- Where's totally-not-gay Justices's wife?
- ALSO, she recently tweeted to her gay friend on twitter something like "say hi to your husband!"
NOT homophobic no mo.
- Good god! Steve is actually 100 times gayer than Xmas. The guy in the gray v-neck on the recliner looks pretty gay too. Hell, they all look gay.
Which one is Lisa's son?
- [quote]i am serious. she is evolving, people!
There is absolutely no evidence to support this.
- -- the cutie on the far left, r574.
- Taking the picture, R572? In an earlier tweet, Lisa mentioned that she was there, too.
Justice is going to be on Survivor next week, when all the castaways have a loved one visit (and compete with them in a reward challenge). That should be interesting. It got me wondering.....Lisa talks about Justice often and clearly they are very close (despite a 20 year age difference), but she NEVER (ever) mentions her other brother Cody, who is only a few years younger than her. I wonder what the story is there?
- Maybe he's a hateful rightwing bigot...
- She used to mention her brother before and posted a picture together with him on vacation or at some event. I don't know how long ago that was.
So Justice is married, too? One thing the Christians can't shake is getting married entirely too young.
- Wow.....short of uttering the words, "Steve. Is.Gay."....I think Lisa just announced that Steve is gay. Right?
- Yes. As if there was ever any doubt. Steve is gayer than the queeniest queen who ever sashayed down the chelsea sidewalks.
- Yep, and it sounds like she still believes it is a sin.
- Where do you get that, r582?
- Hardly. Steve is obviously dealing with a LIFETIME of forced closetude (courtesy of his religion) and if she doesn't mention his sexual orientation it's out of respect for him rather than considering it a sin.
- From this R583: ""You don't know what people are facing in their lives, so it's important to love and not judge them. That's the whole Christian message: that we fail and forgiveness can happen. It's a sad commentary of many Christians that we shoot our wounded. So I've learned how important it is to be more encouraging and understanding, no matter what people are going through."
- R585. If only all the Christians has that attitude this would be a much better world.
- Wait. I'm confused. Is Justice her brother or her son? Who is Tucker?
- Tucker = cutie-pie son.
Justice = handsome younger brother.
- Thanks, R588. I had thought Justice was her son and came to the wrong conclusion that he was married, too. Lisa's daughter did get married awfully young.
- Justice, her brother, IS married.
- I agree, R586, but it still means that they see gays as sinners/failures/wounded.
- I thought she meant she herself was wounded, by getting divorced. It's a big tragedy with some people.
- and the failure might be infidelity rather than being gay in and of itself
- I can't see that being the case, R593.
- Why, R594?
- I finally watched the last couple of Survivors. Her tears at tribal council were quite heartbreaking. She's a good egg.
- Here's a scan of the People article. It's different from the online one and mentions rumors about Steve.
- can't open/
- Try this.
- New thread at link.