- That is awful.
- Why he look so bad? What is with his hand? Does he not have the cosmetics?
- Redford seemed to go from full thatch to hair helmet without any intervening thinning. Usually some harsh lens notices a superstar's 'imperfections.'
- He is also wearing a ton of makeup in that pic. Why not just wear a cap like Ron Howard? Or own his baldness like Sean Connery?
- I'll have you know this is the finest Dynel wig in the whole Zsa Zsa Gabor collection!
R. "Bob" Redford
- To go from being one of the most gorgeous men in Hollywood to looking like Don Imus' long lost twin must really be stressful.
- He needs a lighter, blonder wig, or a grey/blonde combo. The unnatural red color is what screams 'piece'. A tan would help him too.
- He's 73; he needs to let go. All he is doing is accentuating his age with an dead red panda on his head.
- I'll bet he has liver spots all over his penis.
- Oh dear
- There is such a huge difference between the pic with Demi in 1993 and the more recent one. He's really again badly though blondes are well-known not to age well. The bad plastic surgery doesn't help.
The hair color with Demi would be so much better - though all grey would look spectacular on him - a la John Slattery.
The real problem with longtime celebs is that there is no one around them to give them the harsh messages and just say 'no' to bad ideas like dark red hair.
- I'd still fuck him over anything in Britain.
- He was HOT as The Sundance Kid,thought he would age much better. He gave alot back to the industry as well.My brother met him yrs. ago and said what a gracious person he was.
- He was hottest in The Sting. Newman Redford sandwich...
- I'll take your word for it since you queens know this stuff, but I truly thought it was just a bad dye job, not a rug. Through the years, it's never seemed that his hair was thinning.
Here he is in Oct 2010. His hair looks bad (better than OP's though), but doesn't look like a rug to me. I mean, why get a rug with an obvious dye job and grey roots?
Also, with this level of demonstrated vanity, why wouldn't he put some product in his hair. It could easily be styled as it was in the Demi pic from Indecent Proposal. It astounds me that these celebs will go to enormous length like botox and surgery to look younger, but won't do something as simple as, oh I don't know, comb their hair.
- I think he looks good in the Daily Mail photos posted by the OP.
There are other photos from a year or two ago where he was wearing a much worse looking wig perched on his head and askew.
The previous wig looked more synthetic and even more fake.
I think the color is okay in the Daily Mail photos. Doesn't look terrible. He could try other colors, but I'm not sure they would look that much better.
He could try a wig with some gray in it - but maybe he tried that on and it didn't look good.
I think he looks fine for his age. It is difficult to be photogenic in one's 70's and he still manages to look good.
Several years ago, the deep crevices and deep grooves were very extreme on his face. Then he had some facial work done a couple of years ago, and he now looks better.
- I think it is a good idea to keep your hair short as you loose it and it goes grey and wirey. That is my strategy. The plastic surgery is not great either. I think its best to avoid that as well. One exception- eyelid droop and trouble closing eyes completely associated with age. But that is more practical than a matter of looking younger.
- He no longer has a young enough face for long and floppy-banged hair, be it his own or a wig. His face and skin tone (wrinkled and liver-spotted!) also can't support that much hair color, be it natural or dyed.
He would also benefit from a shirt with a proper collar. Again, too much wrinkling around the neck and jaw line to expose so much worn-out skin. His neck looks very vulnerable going into the lapels of his jacket without the frame of a crisp shirt collar.
If you take someone like Cary Grant, who aged magnificently, as the gold standard....well, just imagine Cary with Redford's hair and tee-shirt and you can see even Cary couldn't have pulled it off.
Eventually, EVERYBODY is too old for certain styles.
Paul McCartney is another loser
- It's so great that a man of Bob Redford's age has such a full head of hair, and he hasn't gone gray yet!
Mary Tyler Moore and Barbra Streisand
- Totally agree about the T-shirt, he's too old for that look. If he wore a collared shirt it would look much better. Overall, he looks pretty good for 73, he just needs to dress more age-appropriate. And cut his hair short, or wear a toupee that's short-haired.
- "The previous wig looked more synthetic and even more fake. "
Was it molded out of plastic, or painted on like a Ken doll's?
Seriously, his plastic surgery has settled, and his face is so recognizable that he doesn't need to wear a wig. If he appeared with short ginger-gray hair, he'd look great for his age.
- Even in that tucked in black tee I can see his nipples have fallen about 2".
But then he is 73.
- Bob has RED HAIR ! Everyone forgets, because in almost all his films, except " Electric Horseman", it was colored on the blonde side - like in " The Way We Were". Even there though, when Babs beds him, and his shirt is off, you can see his beautiful RED hairy chest fur. We all think of him as a blonde, but he's Red. In his case however, the comment my friends say "better dead than red", re who you sleep with, doesn't apply - when he was young, he was beautiful.
- Well, if we're also commenting on the overall effect of the clothes, let's discuss those baggy mom jeans pulled up to his belly button.
He seemingly still has a nice build. While I'm not suggesting skinny jeans, he might select a more modern cut, worn lower down on his hips.
- He wears it so Barabara can still walk up to him and brush the hair out of his eyes.
- The Mom jeans would be helped immeasurably simply by wearing the tee shirt untucked.
- It is not a wig
- I have the exact rung in my guest bathroom
- [quote]I'll have you know this is the finest Dynel wig in the whole Zsa Zsa Gabor collection!
Dahling, I know you are very young, but ze vig collection vas quite famous, and it vas ALL MINE!
- He was sooooo handsome and beautiful.
Which is your favourite Robert Redford movie?
- Yes R30 he was once beautiful but a lifetime of skiing without sunblock will do that to a person.
- R23 is correct. Redford used to have a lovely head of hair, but decades of bleaching it within an inch of its life could only have contributed to its loss. Of course, the California blond thing was central to his appeal. (When you see him in THE WAY THEY WERE, there's very little effort to make him look "period" at all.)
It's funny how in denial the moviegoing public is about male stars and their appearances: most of them color their hair for specific roles; many over 35 wear hairpieces or wigs; many of them wax or shave their body hair. This has been true for many, many years. It's Hollywood, kids.
- 75? He looks 85!
- His skin looks like shit and that beady-eyed look resulting from his surgery just accentuates it. Two raisins stuck in a wrinkled blob of dough. Laser resurfacing would do a lot of him.
The hair looks like a scruffy bathmat, but I think it's his own. He's one of those guys like Trump with real hair so bad you THINK it has to be a horrible rug.
- Those photos are not only the definition of not aging well, but also the prime reason why people should not suntan to much. His face has been horribly wrinkled for years and years.
- What's funny is that OP's link in my browser opened as, "Robert Redford reveals his t..."
Sadly, for all the many decades of owning his gazillion acres of land at Sundance, he obviously very rarely used sunscreen or moisturizer. Maybe he thought it was too girly to be caring for his skin while out riding horses in the Utah backcountry.
- He hasn't had his real hair color since Downhill Racer. And NO man, not even Ronald Reagan, had so much hair on his head after age 70.
Just because the wig's ugly, Bob, doesn't mean we'll think it's not a wig.
HE IS HOT. RESPECT HIM
- That looks UGLY! Why can't people just be happy with their natural looks like I am?
- What would Paul say?
- many liver spots on his hole
He was one of the most beautiful men that graced the screen. So charming and handsome. So desirable and so solid.
- I hate to say it, but I think Harrison Ford is handling the aging thing better. As he's lost his hair, he's kept it short. Now if he'd just lose the stupid earring...
He could make a great couple with Natalie Wood.
What a pity they were both unavailable when they were close to each other.
Redford was very sexy and athletic in 'Three Days of the Condor', one of his greatest movies.
- Gorgeous Robert Redford with Natalie Wood
- Blond charm
- He was so beautiful when he was young. If there was ever a celeb I'd want to look like it'd be Redford.
- One of the most beautiful actors EVER
A good director
A pretty stable man (for an actor)
- Does Ben Affleck wear a toupee? His hair looks great, but people make wisecracks about it. Are they just envious?
- Oh R48, sugar... :)
- With Natalie Wood in 'Inside Daisy Clover'
- Although he was genetically blessed when he was younger, and he aged pretty well into his 40s, he did not age well beyond that. He is a ginger and the liver spots and withered skin is typical for gingers. The hair--I just can't with that.
- The toupee itself is probably very high quality (individual human hair, etc) - he's just delusional as to how mismatched it is. Healthy, young looking red hair on the wig vs an elderly, grey-white haired, sun-damaged codger beneath it.
- Lol R53, stop it!
1975 ROBERT REDFORD & TINA CHEN IN THREE DAYS OF THE CONDOR PRESS PHOTO
- Look at, or for, a part in the hair. Look for the scalp. If you never see it, chances are its a wig. You can't compare a movie coif to an off screen pic because its done for the movie.
Redford looks like his hair has gotten FULLER over the last 20 years, which is absurd. It's a wig.
- R54! Lol, stooooop it!
- p.s. the hairpiece would be much better suited for an unlucky 40-something soft-butch lesbian undergoing chemo. Maybe he could consider donating it.
- R54! Please, omg! Lol you are so bad!
Robert Redford with Lois Chiles
- What's the point of posting 40 year old photos of Redford?
- R60, what's the point of not sending them?
- Bitches can't even tell it's a lacefront.
- Better to post Redford with his original real red hair, original teeth and freckled face.
- I loved his hairy chest
- To me, he's so cold it doesn't matter what he looks like. He comes across as sexually repressed in movies.
- Robert Redford and Lola Redford during Mary Lasker's Cocktail Party for Wayne Owens - May 15, 1974 at Harrison's Residence in Washington D.C.
- A very young Robert with his first wife Lola Redford
- Sydney Pollack was an example of a man who aged gracefully. He got better looking as the years went by and I thought that he was a very sexy man too.
Stayed in shape and always delivered a great performance whether it was comedy or dramatic. I miss him.
- R65, he may come across to you that way in movies but one thing Redford has never been is sexually repressed.
- He's 77 not 73.
- He's clearly wearing a wig in OP's picture. Very few would speak up and tell him he's not a sex symbol anymore (in any way.) Burt Lancaster owned his age and looked handsome as he aged.
I always felt Bob was an overrated actor like Warren Beatty (sp?)
Indecent Proposal was a B movie. Perhaps he needed the money at the time. The script was horrible too.
- he needed retin-A. He has major sun damage.
- He joins a long list of Hollywood stars who have not aged well and desperately make attempts to look youthful.
- He looks great fur his age... sheesh!
- First time one saw a "young" Robert Redford was a few years ago watching an episode of Twilight Zone (Nothing In The Dark)and was gobsmacked. I mean had supposed he was hot in his younger days but had no idea.
A few weeks later happened to catch "Barefoot In The Park" also being shown on television. Never saw anything like *that* in Washington Square Park, barefoot nor no.
- He morphed into an ugly troll, like Mel Gibson.
That's what happens when you're ugly on the inside, young, it creeps out for all to see.
- Do you mean like that picture of Dorian Grey?
- He spent way too much time in the sun growing up in LA. A lot of sun damage.
- He obviously goes to the same hairstylist as Donald Trump.
- Wow, he was beautiful when he was younger. Brad Pitt kinda looks a little like him.
- Well by that account you can add scores if not hundreds of his generation not only from CA but NV, NM, AZ and other points out west.
- How is Redford ugly on the inside, R76?
- I am pretty good at spotting transplants and rugs, but I think that this is really just a bad dye job.
- Oh get real, R83. He has more hair now than he did when he was younger. Of course it's a piece
- I think they are hair plugs, not a wig.
He was excellent in "All Is Lost". You want Redford rugged, real.
Who's going to replace him? Everyone after him is a DOUCHE. BAG.
- Three Days of The Condor was on a few weeks ago, and though filmed in 1975 RR still had it. However one noticed many shots were taken from far away. On close-ups you could see things were happening to his face. IIRC RR also wore glasses on and off during the film which is something hitherto leading men didn't do unless role called for it.
- Conservative politics aside, one would have taken "Paul" (Robert Redford) in Barefoot in the Park any day of the week! *LOL*
- WASP males tend to be all over the place in terms of aging one finds. Some retain a full head of hair and look great well into their sixties. Others look like who did it and ran by age 50.
Kyle MacLachlan still looks good, but there is a bit of German mixed in with that Irish and Cornish ancestry.
- There was only one Cary Grant, cut the 77 year old Utah slob a break. His looks held out for a long time and he turned himself into a decent human being when no one expected it.
Redford's all right.
- Wtf bumping an already tired thread?
- I just saw him on Netflix in, This Property Condemned. He was exquisite.
- R90 Complete boredom
- He was good in the Captain America sequel, squinting, representing totalitarian fascism for the kids.