- Because she typifies a strong "type" and can deliver in both comedy and drama. She is also good to work with.
- It's her ability to spin around on cue.
- I love r2.
- I've loved her since she played Lenore on Another World so many years ago.
- She strikes me as the type that hates penis.
- One of her best clips. I absolutely love her. Though the show as a whole was average, Susan Sullivan as Kitty Montgomery, was pure, comedic genius. You can't watch this and not laugh.
- If they ever do a TV version of Follies, she should be in it.
- Me too, R4. She was my favorite on that show right up until Anne Heche appeared -- now it's a tie.
- I love R2, too; and R4.
Btw, I met Sullivan at a party once: she told me that head tossing thing in the Flacon Crest credtis was her idea.
- because she is a good actress and she is easy to work with
- I used to have to watch her as Lenore on "Another World" back in the seventies, after school before my mother got up off her ass to make supper and let me watch cartoons.
She once said on a talk show that she always asks a guy she's dating if he's ever slept with a man- and it's a dealbreaker for her.
- The greatest Kitty Montgomery line ever comes at the end of the party scene:
- Andy Lack at CBS thought she was the bomb!
- I wonder if she got to taste any "cumson."
- I wanna see the head turn thingie!!!!!
- Here you go, R16.
- Love it r17. Thanks.
The head turn is quite dramatic!!
- Su Su!
- Love love love her!
- Didn't realise Susan only started her trademarked spin in the titles in Season 3. Season 7 / 8 was my favourite "and Susan Sullivan as Maggie" spin! Last title card and the "and...as Maggie" were in Sullivan's contract, BTW.
- I can spin too!
- I didn't realize Anne Archer was on the show for a year -- just 2 years before Fatal Attraction.
My god, what has she done to herself? She's unrecognizable...
- I haven't seen "Castle", but I loved "Falcon Crest" and "Dharma & Greg." I think the reason Susan Sullivan works so much is because she's just so great at every type of acting: drama to comedy.
By the way, I've wondered for years if anyone had an ideas about what was supposed to be wrong with "Emma," Margaret Ladd's character. Is there any technical diagnosis of someone who's a little "off." And why was Abby Dalton written off half-way through? I liked her and from what I understood-I was a teen at the time watching with my grandmother-she had quite a following from previous roles.
The search function on DataLounge never works for me so I thought I'd ask here.
- Looking at those opening credits for Falcon Crest really brought back memories. I forgot how hilariously histrionic that theme was! I also forgot how stunningly beautiful Jamie Rose was... she could not act at all, but she was a gorgeous woman.
By the last seasons, there's just too much going on in the credit sequence. Not only is there the usual scenic sites of San Francisco and the Napa...er, I mean, Tuscany Valley, but there's also an animated Hawk, and the stiupid effect of ripples in a wine glass to switch images. Too nightmarishly busy.
- Well, allow me to explain Ron...
- I love how they killed her off the Crest.
- Susan's best acting gig...
- Susan Sullivan would be fired one year before the show itself got cancelled. Due to budget cuts, she was replaced by Wendy Phillips, less expensive actress.
- What kind of character did she play on the soap?
- Emma was a little girl who was overprotetcted by her mother.
If the show was on today, the reason given would probably be that she was a little too close to her Uncle Jason whom she accidentally killed. But she was just supposed to be a little slow.
- My understanding was always that Emma Channing wasn't mentally deficient but that she was emotionally disturbed: fragile, like Laura in "The Glass Menagerie."
- R30 here is a summary of Sullivan's character on Another World:
[quote]Also in the thick of things was socialite Lenore Moore, who tried to split up Missy and Bill before wedding Walter Curtin. To provide for spoiled Lenore, Walter quit his job as district attorney and went into cahoots with Wayne Addison, who romanced Liz Matthews. Liz, while friendly with Lenore's mother Helen, hated Lenore and tried to pin Wayne's murder on her, a crime that had actually been committed by Walter. Walter died in a car accident in 1972 while on his way to confess his crime, and Lenore eventually got over her grief to marry architect Robert Delaney, a rare character crossover from Somerset, in 1974. Robert had an affair with Carol Lamonte, who blackmailed Lenore, hinting she knew what atrocity her late husband had done. A fearful Lenore left town, and an equally unhappy Robert ended his affair with Carol.
- Is it true she had some blowup with Constance McCashin in the Lorimar commissary, forcing Linda Grey to step in to broker a truce?
- We used to think that Maggie's spin was a result of Cho-li goosing her!
- Did she ever cross over to Somerset?
- Wasn't Lenore the Art Dealer who pissed of Iris by dating her teenage son? Cecile was her step-daughter who was really her daughter...I think.
- Elena was Cecile's aunt at first but then was revealed to be Cecile's mother. I believe Lenore was long gone by the time Elena and Cecile arrived on the scene.
- Bump for Maggie Gioberti!!!
- R34 Poor Susan probably took the last package of Ho-Hos and didn't realized Constance would smack them out of her hands.
- She got her untalented ass axed off "It's A Living" and replaced by the hysterical "Louise Lasser"
- I didn't realize Anne Archer was on the show for a year -- just 2 years before Fatal Attraction.
My god, what has she done to herself? She's unrecognizable..
Are we sure thats not rita rudner
- Not sure if it was falcon crest or the margret ladd character but i remember watching a scene when i was a kid.
The mom storms into the room and rips up the mattress and finds all this money in it.
The character was a prostitute i think.
I remember laughing my ass off now i can't think of which soap it was.
does this sound like falcon crest or knots
- THAT'S a spin?
- Does she do the voice-overs for ShopRite Supermarkets?
- She left It's A Living for Falcons Crest.
- Close, R40. It was Devil Dogs.
- I want IT'S A LIVING - the complete series collection - on DVD, stat.
- R46 she was **FIRED** from It's A Living. Lucky for her Falcon Crest was around the corner.
She was not the first choice. Samantha Eggar was originally cast and the pilot was made.
CLip below from the original pilot was Samantha Eggar as Maggie
- So why was Susan fired from "It's a Living"?
- R43 you're correct, that was Falcon Crest. Season 7. Dizzy Emma was embroiled in a prostitution ring which she thought was "Sweetheart Dating Service" and she was hiding her cash in her mattress. Angela showed Lance and Dan Fixx the money and convinced them to go undercover to find out if it was a prostitution agency. Angela showed up at The Maxx nightclub and offered to pay the hookers to confess they were ladies of the night. Bobbie Eakes (Macy from B&B) was one of the hookers and had a great line when Angela showed up "Who invited Grandma?" LOL
- "I believe they're raised in cages and fed with little tubes. Yum Yum."
Watch the R6 clip. That's why she's always working. I wish she would get a comedy centered right around her.
- She was incandescent as Lenore on Another World. Check the performance out on YouTube.
- R47 love you, you fat bitch!
- She's a mediocre actress but charming as hell. I think a lot of network executives have offered her work simply because they had a crush on her.
- I don't think it's fair to call her mediocre. She may not be Streep but she's very solid and she did play a few roles that showed her versatility.
I think she's been somewhat typecast since Dharma & Greg as the Haughty/Rich type. Martha on "Castle" may be a little on the kookier side, but you could see Martha as a party guest at Kitty's parties, so to speak - somewhere in her circle.
The other reason I think this bitch is always working? She's almost 70 and looks fucking amazing. Still fit, beautiful without looking tweezed, Botoxed or lifted into a Hunter Tylo Death Mask. That will keep her working for a few years yet to come.
- She's mediocre, I didn't say she was bad. Nobody ever watched a performance of hers and thought "Wow." Just "she's nice, I like her."
- She was hilarious (and beautiful) in "My Best Friend's Wedding". And she looks 10 times better now than Rupert Everett does.
I loved that head-swing thing. I used to practice that move in front of the bathroom mirror, and nearly gave myself whiplash. Once I swung around so dramatically I fell and hit my head on the sink.
Margaret Ladd's enormous forehead
- My mother had a group of gay friends eons ago. They always told her what actors/ actresses were gay long ago before the public ever knew, i.e., Rock Hudson, Dack Rambo. Anyway, one of them told me Susan was a Lesbian. I told him, no way. He insisted. Anyway, they were always in the know. But I never heard any other gossip about her or anything.
- Worked with her 2 years ago in a play in NY - couldn't have had a better time. She was smart, funny, warm, very giving with other actors (and she was the lead - onstage the entire time) and no airs or snobbery - just a hardworking actor like the rest of us. Actually, she was extremely complimentary to those of us who work in the theater - she said doing TV all those years has made her a bit lazy and spoiled, and she respects those of us who do it live 8x a week.
She's married to a great guy, Connell Cowan, who's a bigtime Beverly Hills shrink.
- Thanks for the dish R60. Does she still look as great (and natural) in person as she does in pics such as this one? Any other scoop?
- I do love that she appears to be aging naturally.
- Bump for Susan Sullivan!
- I wonder what does Susan Sullivan think of Stana Katic's acting on Castle.
- Susan fans should watch this, at least from the 4:10 mark forward. Someone spliced together all of the credits from every season of Falcon Crest. I always remembered the "Susan as Maggie" credit where she turns around to face the camera, but I never realized that (a) she didn't do that every season; and (b) she re-filmed her spin on a few occasions.
- Love Susan's jawline!
- Susan will always be working until the day she dies.
- R64, she probably doesn't think much of her. For obvious reasons. Katic is a mediocrity who was fucking lucky to have landed the lead on a successful TV series. If it had been someone other than the lovely Nathan Fillion she'd have been eaten alive.
- She got thrown off of "It's A Living," for Louise Lasser, who is much better.
- at one time there was an outtake (audio only) of Susan making fun of Chao-Li, doing like a 'Chinaman's' bit, real mediocre, ching chong ching chong stuff because they loathed each other.
- Good point, r68.
- You should check out Susan Sullivan in the ill fated series called "The Nine."
- [R68] Katic isn't that bad for an average show like castle, fillion isn't exactly amazing either. I'm surprised that show is still on.
- Susan Sullivan faces off against Leslie Caron
Start video at 3:00 mark
- My Hollywood in the know friend told me years ago she was a Lesbian.