- Let's try that link one more time. Sorry about that.
- Thanks for starting (continuing) this one OP. And I'd never seen that commercial. That's more screen time than he gets in an average hour on his show.
- Here is a brief glimpse of Freddie in a Verizon commercial.
Also, Sonny and at least one other significant character witness Will's first drunken gay kiss on the 23rd.
- Why am I having problems posting links tonight? Ugh! Here's a second attempt at the Verizon commercial.
- While I've always thought Freddie was gay, in that commercial he totally comes off as straight! Is he really straight?
- I just wanted to say: EJ's cock.
- Sammi is such a bitch!
- Just a reminder from what was mentioned in the previous thread....February 23rd is the day that Will finally discussed his gayness with Sonny Boy.
Of course that schedule should be adjusted for the poster from Canada (or wherever that guy was that says he sees the show a day ahead of the U.S.
- Freddie Smith says he's straight, and unlike CM he was cast as a gay character so he probably created Sonny with subtle gay mannerisms. I think it speaks well of him as an actor that he can play both gay or straight. And he doesn't play Sonny as too fey, just slightly so.
Furthermore, he hasn't had much to go on character wise beyond Sonny being a gay dreamboat rich boy with a heart of gold. He's done well with that.
I also think it's cool of Kay Jewelers to cast him in that commercial as a straight guy and run it over and over on Days on line. Maybe they actually think viewers understand the difference between an actor and/or a character.
- Some conflicting spoilers have emerged stating that although Sonny witnesses Will's first kiss, Will refuses to talk to him about it and insteads runs to Grandma Marlena. Sonny needs to kick closet case Will to the curb and find a guy that is willing to love him in return.
- Actually, this is perfect if he runs to Doc. It sets it up so that Marlena knows something that Sami doesn't know. Thus creating more tension between those two when it all comes out, which I love. I know some of you are tired of it, but I love messy Sami hating Marlena and Carrie.
- Sonny had a great deal of chemistry with his friend Tyler (played by Andrew St. John) who was only on for a few days. In the fanfiction of my mind, they are couple while Will continues to get rammed by EJ.
I agree that it is nice that Will goes to his grandmother.
There are spoilers that say Sami is going to freak out when she finds out about Will, but the returning Lucas will be supportive.
- If Llanview hadn't been blasted into oblivion by the idiots in charge of ABC, would Salem's gay poster boys be getting such free PR here on DL?
- So while EJ is pounding Will, what happens when Rafe comes into the room, spit roasting? Then what happens when Chad drops by? A Will ganbang?
On another note, blind item going around: Which GH actor raised holy hell when he opened up his first new script under the new regime and he has to appear shirtless? It got so bad that he demanded a meeting with the EP? Any guesses?
- That's the guy who plays Jason. He's refused to be shirtless since he developed a thing for jelly doughnuts and/or Jesus.
- [R14] In my head Will would take all their loads bukkake style. EJ's would be last, because his would be the biggest. But Rafe would be pulling Will's hair and shooting into Will's mouth. And Chad would bust all over his buddy's face.
As for the GH actor - that has to be Burton. No one would force a shirtless Geary or Benard on us. Not after lunch!
- Do Benard and Burton just not get it? GH has one foot in the ground and one on a banana peel. Instead of refusing to adjust they should be willing to do whatever it takes to maybe save this show and keep it on for a few more years.
- I took down Llanview and now I'm taking down Port Charles. Deal with it, bitches!
- Bernard and Burton should be quaking in their boots, but one wonders if they are too full of themselves to see it. Under Frons's fiefdom, they got their way in all things. But there's a new sheriff in town.
It's going to be a huge adjustment for them, and I may just tune in to see them get backburned or screwed by the writing. It couldn't happen to nicer people.
Meanwhile, gossips, I read something alarming in the Jonathan Frakes thread I wanted to float here. Is it true that Frakes and Francis went to TBTB at GH demanding she be paired with Stephen Nichols after it was revealed that Geary was positive? And this was not in the 80s but the late 90s when educated people should have known better?
- Here's a recent interview Freddie gave to his hometown news station in Ashtabula,Ohio about his DOOL gay character. He really seems like a naturally sweet person-I hope Hollywood doesn't ruin that.
A side note,I didn't know that this is where CBS' Russell Mitchell is now anchoring!
- I think if Sami does freak out, it will be more because she is the last to know. I can imagine her freaking out at Marlena "You knew and didn't tell ME!!" which would lead to her to hating her mother even more.
- Freddie looks like he just rolled out of bed in R20's video. It's the shabbiest I've ever seen him look.
- r20, Russell Mitchell looks chubby, and he's got a lot more gray in his hair. Still a good newscaster, but I guess he thinks it's only Cleveland, why look hot?
Chandler does he best work with Dee Hall. I may go out on a limb and say that it could be Emmy worthy.
- Is Kirsten Storms on hospice now? They confirmed this week she won't be able to return to GH. Also it seems John Ingle's wife passed away this week. Very sad news.
- The actor who exploded when he read he had to appear shirtless is Steve Burton. He has had that stipulation for years in a bid not to go the beefcake route and be taken as a serious actor. Of course, that doesn't stop him from working out and bulking up like a 'roid junkie so he can parade around in t-shirts all the time. He's a strange guy - used to be one of those Jesus freaks. The backstage drama at GH is just getting started, folks. Macho idiots Burton and Bernard will NOT last the Valentini regime. The days of GH being a misogynistic gloomy mess are over.
As far as the unofficial word is, Storms is not returning to GH. Jen Lilley has essentially been told the role is hers now.
- r19, the rift between Genie Francis and Tony Geary that has widened over the years started with Frakes insisting his wife stop working with Geary, whose appearence was getting increasingly worse. He hasn't looked well in years. He's a major pothead and it has never been confirmed whether he is Poz.
Frakes and Francis were genuinely worried about what was going on with Geary (early-mid 90s) and it led to alot of misunderstanding and hurt feeling, especially when Francis fought for a pairing with Stephen Nichols. Geary and Francis' relationship has never been the same since.
Geary has done everything he can to support and help encourage the shattering of the L&L Legend, even though it has been the only thing that gave the man a career. I think he essentially has taken his anger and resentment at Francis' "betrayal" out on the story, doing everything he can to create a different kind of magic with Jane Elliot and supporting Luke and Tracy's relationship.
He had an ally in Guza, who did everything he could to decimate the Laura character and the fairytale L&L story. But the joke is on them: ratings always went up when Francis returned for those flimsy guest spots they gave her, she earned an Emmy for one of those guest returns, and fans have clamoured ever since for her return.
FV/RC will most definitely get Francis back before the show ends and rectify the damage Guza has done with her story. Geary won't be happy.
Geary is another one who will find life at GH very difficult under FV. He's had it incredibly easy for the past decade with ALOT of support behind him to do whatever the hell he wants. But the soap industry has changed. Now it is down to the wire. The top brass will back FV.
- I knew they were going to keep that girl,r25.
- It's a shame about Storms being so sick, but I've thought that Jen Lilley is quite good as Maxie. She lights up the screen in a way that rings truer than Storm's performance.
Does anyone know the real story behind Storm's illness? Endometriosis is the official story I guess, but I've never known anyone who had it so badly they couldn't work.
Will they be able to get Genie Francis back? I'd like to see that. She's always seemed much happier on other soaps, including Y&R and AMC. She was even happier on Days, though they never gave her much to do beyond make eyes at John Black.
Looks like there's going to be a lot of Will/Sonny next week. Will comes out to Sonny. Will kisses Sonny's friend, and Will tells Sonny about the EJ/Sami sex and Rafe overhears.
In my head fanfic, however, Will confesses his own EJ sex.
- Was the Burton/Herbst affair rumour true? I remember someone posting on here once that they used to ride to work together and fuck in dressing room?is that all true?
- Genie Francis hated DAYS - they hired her for the ratings to fill Dee Hall's place and never had her do anything except be John Black's damsel in distress.
She loved her role on AMC, and turned down the offer to return to GH when ABC wanted to bring back Luke & Laura. Actually, it was Geary's idea to bring Luke & Laura back on the run after all those years; he had been on GH a year before Luke returned as Luke's look-a-like cousin Bill Eckart, and it was a complete disaster. Viewers turned away in droves, even when the show tried to recapture a Geary's chemistry with Emma Samms in a Bill-Holly romance. Gloria Monty (who had returned with Geary in a much-ballyhooed move) was fired, and geary scrambled to do damage control: he penned an idea for L&L's epic return, and pitched it to the top brass. The only problem was Francis' hesitation and ultimate refusal to return to GH (and LA). ABC played hardball and ordered her character on AMC (then cross-over to LOVING) to be gunned down and murdered. Francis was painted in a corner and accepted the offer to return to GH.
What was in store for her in her second career at GH was one endless drama after another: Geary's constant tempermental outbursts with writers and producers over creative differences (he even engaged in fisticuffs with a writer - Richard Culliton?); the tension between her and Geary escalating over his health issues and Frakes' interference in the situation; executive producer Farren Phelps on her back all the time about her fluctuating weight; Guza's hatred of the character Laura.
I have a feeling Francis will return - especially if this is GH's last chapter. She'll feel better if a man like RC is writing her story.
- Bren Foster is out at DAYS. His character Quinn won't even get a send-off. He will just disappear off canvas.
- Hasn't he already disappeared?
- Looks like no Daytime Emmys this year.
- Wow R33, if that's correct and there will be no Daytime Emmys, then One Life To Live gets screwed out of a great salute to some strong performances in their final year.
That would be a shame.
- TOTALLY, r34!
Andy Triscuit, who would have been a shoo-in
- OLTL always got screwed, this is just the cherry on top.
- [quote]Bren Foster is out at DAYS. His character Quinn won't even get a send-off. He will just disappear off canvas.
They haven't had any scenes set in the spa for some time and that's the only place Quinn was ever seen. He wasn't involved in any major story line and the last character involvement I remember was him making some big donation to EJ's campaign, much to Nicole's chagrin. Seems weird that the show built the spa set only now having no need for it.
- The Daytime Emmy Awards have been a joke for many years. B&B winning Best Show was the final straw.
I'd love it if there was an American Soap Awards done in the style of the British Soap Awards. It would be held in a large studio with the audience only consisting of the casts of the soaps. Categories would include Best Villain, Sexiest Male, Sexiest Female and Best Exit along with the usual categories. Bravo should air them.
- Just to clarify NATAS will still hand out the awards this year but it is highly unlikely there will be any splashy ceremony and it will most certainly not be televised this year.
- [quote]splashy ceremony
When was there ever a splashy ceremony? When ET asked Slezak who she was wearing last year, she said JCPenney. The designers don't give gowns, Joan doesn't do a special Fashion Police. Ther is no red carpet special What's the point?
- They got pretty lavish in the early 90's.
- Soap Opera Digest used to have their own awards which were very casual and kitschy. They would have categories like Favorite Couple, Best Fight Scene, Bitchiest Bitch, etc and the actors would camp things up when they won.
- So is it pig-faced Starr's debut on GH today?
- It looks like GH is safe, right?
- Kirsten Storms has to be on drugs. Her coming back and then them announcing she's not back yet must mean she tried to go back to work and still wasn't pulled together.
Either drugs/booze, or she's got some mental health issue. Those are the two things they'd make up something to cover.
- The guy who was head of the company producing the Emmys the last few years, ATI, amuses me. Jim Romanovich is his name….
He gave several interviews where he thought that he, and he alone, would save daytime. That if someone just did this, or that, all would be well. You couldn't read any mag or website without Messiah Jim's long winded comments.
He then tried - I am not kidding - to claim that he auditioned for and was very close to being cast as Mike Horton when they cast the role in the mid 90s and Roark Critchlow got it. He's a tall, squinty Frankenstein looking motherfucker with a butterface. As if he could have possibly been cast as anyone other than Security Guard #2, or Town Idiot.
Now that long statement about them dropping the Emmys. Which just means "We milked that shit for all we could and we're done now."
He just bugs me. Total bullshitter and timewaster. Like most of the other idiots in charge.
- Wow, a picture of Will embracing the dude who he's gonna kiss is on the cover of this week's Soap Opera Digest. Mildred is going to faint in the check-out lane!
- Thanks for the heads-up R47. I opened your link but couldn't find the picture, but I am still glad to know that they have a picture depicting gay characters on the front cover.
- That picture can be found on the official NBC Days site, if you go to weekly previews 2/20 under photos. It's the third from the last in the slideshow.
It looks delicious. Will appears to be the aggressor.
- Thank you so much R49. You are fantastic!
- General Hospital sets a new personal ratings best...for lowest total viewership ever.
I thought Days had the most boring February ever so far, but it looks like more people are finding GH to be the show to put out of it's misery.
- R46, why all the Romanovich hate?
The guy kept the Emmys on the air for the last few years.
And, yeah, I do believe him when he says he auditioned for Dr. Mike.
- Any shot of Freddie's feets?
- GH is just dreadful right now. I literally fast forward through everything except the Scrubs stuff. RC's stuff starts airing next week so we'll see.
Oh and about that SOW cover...why did Robin Strasser REALLY leave OLTL?
- and btw have you seen Roark Critchlow?
It's not like Romanovich is claiming he tested for Ridge Forrester!
- [quote]Will appears to be the aggressor.
So, Will's a top? Who would have thought?
- He's flexible.
- Any word on whether GH has plans to bring back Bobbi Spencer Jones? Not that I'd recognize her if she were back.
- Holy shit! Will finally claims his man!
- Zeman should get a little work this year. Especially if GH is cancelled soon. They'll drag her out for old time's sake.
- [quote] They'll drag her out for old time's sake.
She's old, and it's time!
- Nice NYT article:
- Good article. Why is it OLTL was the gay man's soap of choice?
- I don't know, but I first realized it when I read The Santaland Diaries and Sedaris was waxing ecstatically about it. So, that's been true for long time.
- Kristina Malandro posted on her Facebook that she's coming back to GH with Jack Wagner. Burton, Benard and Laura Wright must go into fits every time another veteran's return is announced.
- Couldn't happen to nicer people than Burton & Bernard. They deserve it. I know nothing about Laura Wright, though, except that I don't think she's all that.
I wonder what it will be like for the Wagners to work together. They have kids, so I hope they get along.
- Excerpts fro an interview with Finola Hughes and Kimberly McCullough:
Tristan Rogers and Emma Samms are also heading back to Port Charles. What sort of trouble are you going to get into?
Hughes: Luke and Holly get up to a little bit of trouble. And then I reunite with my ex-husband and we have some things to deal with, discuss talk about.
General Hospital has a new headwriter and a new executive producer. What can you say about the show’s new direction?
McCullough: It’s hard for me to leave, to be quite honest because there’s this new juice on the set.
Hughes: It’s a rebirth. Frank’s just amazing. He really cares about the details and the broad strokes. That’s a really amazing talent to have. Not a lot of people have that.
It’s a lovely combination. He’s worked so many years with his headwriter, Ron [Carlivati]. I think together they’re dynamic and Frank is one of those people, he’s very hands on and he’s on the set. That’s how Kimberly and I both grew up working that way. Gloria Monty was very much like that and she was on the set. So it was this one vision in an ensemble show because you obviously have an ensemble cast and you have many writers and a handful of directors. So that’s a lot of people’s visions. I think to just have one person leading that and having a solitary vision is very powerful.
MY NOTE: I think FV/RC are going to do everything they can to reface GH, and Bernard, Wright and Burton are in deep, deep trouble. Bernard and Burton especially will not be hapy with FV/RC have planned for the show.
- Why does everyone keep bring up Wright? She's not a diva. In fact, she is well liked on the set and is pretty down to earth.
- More rumours from the GH set:
Her current visit to Port Charles is short-term, but Kassie DePaiva may be offered a full-time contract. How Todd and Blair's story arc is received by viewers/TPB will dteermine that, but FV and RC want her to stay.
No word on how long Roger Howorth will be on the show, but he may be playing hardball to get a contract he wants.
- I don't know, R68. I don't think Laura Wright is the best or most charismatic actress. I didn't even think she was that great on Loving, but I have heard that she's a nice woman, easy to work with and a team player.
- That's what r68 said, r70. You should read before you respond.
- I did read, R68 was responding to what I said, and I was clarifying and agreeing. I said that even though she's not my favorite actress, I knew nothing about her. I should have said I knew nothing bad. I've always heard she was nice - but that was back during her GL days.
It's called having a conversation.
- LW is mediocrity personified and Carly was definitely undercast with her.
- [quote] LW is mediocrity personified and Carly was definitely undercast with her.
As a Guiding Light fan who had to sit by while this bucktoothed bore became the center of the show for eight years, I say: Testify, sister!
- I was at Super Soap one year and a fan brought up GL to LW during a Q&A session; the show actually wasn't mentioned by name, but I recall LW saying something really cold like 'they're done but they just don't know it yet.'
It came off cold and heartless to me.
If she had compassion for her former co-workers and the viewers of GL it certainly didn't come through that day.
- Laura Wright always says shit like that. She is the Deb Messing of Daytime.
She was the worst thing to happen to Guiding Light. I don't think she can act worth a damn. Considering she was discovered while pumping gas in Maryland, it's not a surprise.
- So this coming Wednesday it looks like Will and Sonny discuss Sami cheating with EJ. On Thursday, Will and Sonny go out drinking which leads to Will smushing lips with Neil. On Friday, a terrified Will runs off to Marlena and they are confronted by Sami. Just another routine week in Salem from the sounds of it.
- Cassie was originally envisioned as a dual role for Zimmer. I think GL fans got off lucky.
I saw the sneak preview. Will grabs that boy and lays it on him hard. Will is a top.
- Cassie flailed her arms around so wildly and so often she accidentally nicked Ivy's cornea on Passions one time.
- I just remember an actual storyline centering around Cassie getting a haircut.
- If there was any person I was not expecting at Whitney Houston's funeral it was Genie Francis, but she was there.
Apparently, Whitney was a huge Luke & Laura fan.
- I think that's a brand new - and rather hilarious - urban myth, R81. I read the rumor, too, but it's been posted everywhere.
- I saw the photos of Jesse Kristofferson making out with Chandler.
- [quote]Kristina Malandro posted on her Facebook that she's coming back to GH with Jack Wagner.
I knew JW was as good as back as soon as I read he was off B&B. I am really surprised his ex-wife is returning though. They must still be on good terms.
- LW hits her mark, says her lines with conviction, never is seen looking into the camera...technically, she's very good.
I just never buy a word that comes out of her mouth.
- Unfortunately, I think GH is beyond repair. I stuck with it mainly because of OLTL, but now have totally forgotten about it. I don't think the veterans will help much. Look at Days. The producers of these shows don't get that it's all about writing and balance. The only way I would tune back into GH regularly is if Sonny, Jason and Carly all blew up and were off the show.
Furthermore, out of all the OLTL people to bring on they pick Starr? Ugh, not a good choice at all. As for Kristen Storms, definitely some major issue going on that they're not saying. So is she officially done with the show?
- Are you kidding, r86?? America LOVES Bovina!!!
Starr N OLD Cole 4 Eva!!
- One of the things OLTL had going for it was that it did write for younger characters and had a teen following.
Like it or not, there were teens viewers who identified with Starr, Cole, Langston and Markko and later James.
And there was another set of teens that identified with Danni, Destiny and Matthew and later Nate.
GH has no such teen equivalent. The only teen characters were Michael, Christina and Molly. Since they're all related, not like they could date each other.
Christina's now gone, Michael is written like an adult (after they had him raped in prison) and moping around about the death of his stripper girlfriend who was 15 years older than he was.
Molly is the only teen left on the show.
So, if you were trying to save a show from cancellation. And if you knew a teen character from a just canceled show on your network was a big draw with young viewers. And if you knew that luring new teen viewers might help get your ratings up enough to avoid cancellation, seems like bringing Starr over to Port Charles is a no brainer.
- Teens who loved bovine Starr, annoying bossy know-it-all chubbette Destiny, dull-as-a-dishrag Langston, and whiny femme Markko don't DESERVE to have a show on television catering to their no-taste needs!!
On the other hand, all teen fans of James and ESPECIALLY of Lenny "I have a working class VIEW FROM THE BRIDGE name but I'm actually a spicy Puerto Rican/Dominican papi" Platt shall be welcomed with open arms!
- GH should have never fired Drew Garrett and that cute girl that played Kristina. I wish they would both return. Chad Duell is so fucking boring as Michael, besides DG would work really well with Roger Howarth should Todd and Michael have scenes.
If Guza hadn't killed off the Quartermaines there would be added teens in town born from the Q's from the 80's and 90's.
At least Frisco and Felicia Jones are returning. I assume Ron C. is already plotting the last few months of the show. Heard he's already writing May sweeps thus presumably he's thought out what happens into summer and September when the show goes off the air.
- How can they resurrect Frisco and Felicia? When their daughter died (one of the worst things of many under Guza), Frisco was nowhere to be found and Felicia disappeared right after, without staying for Maxie. The damage to this show cannot be repaired.
- Are Spinetti and Star going to be paired up? Starpinetti? They're both so homely.
- [QUOTE] Unfortunately, I think GH is beyond repair.
All the soaps will be off the air by 2015.
- Shut your mouth,r93!
- A shot of GH's new stars mingling with its vets (Grahn looks happy ... Bernard looks like he wants to be anywhere else but there):
- And just for fun, here's something for old-times sake:
- Robin go boom-boom today.
- Casey tweeted this pic of him, Chandler and Molly the other day.
Chandler and Casey both look hot!
- [R97] Robin pooped?
Is this an actual story?
- That kid who played Jack before they recast with that older very hot kid, looks just like the guy who plays Todd.
- The real big news from the producers of GH today is that they have started to dig up the grave of Emily McLaughlin. They are going to remove her corpse, then put a wig and a ratty old blue sweater on it, and sit her at the second floor nurses' station as Nurse Jessie Brewer. It will be like nothing has changed from 30 years ago!
- That 'ratty blue sweater' kept me warm during the freezing of Port Charles, you punk!
- [R98] *gasp* Casey actually tweeted a pic of him with Chandler in it, I'm shocked! Lol, i'm just kidding, since its been a long time I've seen him doing that or even mention about CM. I started to think they weren't friends anymore. I laugh at his "decision...decisions" caption, still joking around with the whole "Chill" thing.
- Charles Shaughnessy is coming back to DAYS. Mr. Sheffield! Maybe whatsisname is EJ's dad, then.
- They are apparently casting Shane's son, Andrew for the younger set. The canvas needs another young straight guy.
He'll be Will's first cousin, once removed.
- I just wish they got rid of the Dimeras all together and make the Kirakis (sp?) the main wealthy family of Salem. With both Stefano and Victor in town, it becomes too confusing.
- Link please, r102.
- I loved Nurse Jesse. She went through a lot in her day. I think she was really hot for Steve, but would never admit it.
- DAYS is smart to bring on the next generation. It would be great if at least one or two of them could act. Though they've got a decent set in Massey and Smith. Molly Burnett gives me hives, though.
- [quote]I just wish they got rid of the Dimeras all together and make the Kirakis (sp?) the main wealthy family of Salem. With both Stefano and Victor in town, it becomes too confusing.
Kiriakis. One on episode, I forget who it was - I think it may have been Vivian - questioned the plural of the family name. "Kiriakises? Kiriakii? Who knows?"
- Viv was always too witty for her own good.
- Louise Sorel must have gotten a kick from playing Vivian. The show always had her doing the craziest things.
- Marlena, talking about her past marital problems: "I've faced my demons."
Marlena, sarcastically: "Cute."
- Fantastic material between Marlena and Sami today. Reilly never thought of capitolizing on this very intriguing relationship between mother and daughter, and the current writers realize the magic these two characters create when they go at it. There is nothing better than seeing Marlena and Sami react to one another - in fact, it is the only time I really like Deidre Hall, when she plays against Sweeney (and Massey). I love it when Sami calls Marlena out on being a less-than-perfect mother.
I just wish the writers would delve more in any ambivalency Marlena may have for her daughter. I always thought it should be addressed that perhap Marlena is "scared" of Sami because of her own unresolved feelings about some undue responsibility she may feel about the tragedy of her emotionally disturbed twin sister (Sami's namesake).
Funny that Rafe and Carrie kissed but stopped short of adultery (only because they were caught in the moment), but they are married to two people who have cheated on them both.
- Okay, big grain of salt, but this is what I heard over the weekend.
The Revolution is tanking badly enough that some people at ABC are seriously considering developing some sort of seasonal programming replacement with a 3-soap hybrid: the core stars of OLTL/GH/AMC for 13-week slots.
They would shuffle the Rev's remaining episode order to wherever they had to so long as they can get Katie a better lead-in. But it's not likely to come together quickly enough to give her that, at least not right away.
Valentini has been pushing for this solution for a long time. He knew the way the wind was blowing over a year ago and that Disney is eager to offload.
- I have a hard time believing that [R116]. Not that it isn't a great idea, but ratings mean fuck all for ABC, honestly.
They still squeak ahead because their talk shows cost 10% of what it cost to produce AMC or OLTL.
- That Marlena/Sami stuff from yesterday was just good stuff. I hate it up with a spoon.
On another note Daytime Confidential has already started pimping RC and FV at GH. That fat queen Giddens must be on their payroll. I have no problem with either one, except the way they caved on the gay storyline, but DC thinks they can do no wrong.
- Will finally returns to the show today after an excruciating week's absence. He mixes it up with Sami and Marlena. Should be some good stuff.
- [R118] Jamey Giddens loves most everything.
Especially XXL pizzas and Ho-Hos by the case. And piss-poor enunciation.
- The latest GH promo does look awesome:
- The Marlena-Sami-Will scenes today have been fantastic. I learned to hate Dee Hall/Marlena when she was turned into a Super Heroine. Marlena as mother facing the troubles of her family suits Hall better. Hall handles domestic drama very well. I remember watching scenes on YT from the 70s that dealt with Marlena mourning the crib death of a baby she had with her first husband - Hall is actually a wonderful actress when she is given strong mature material.
- Hey, don't worry guys, I'm sure my offer from GH to join the show is on the way any day now! Probably got lost in the mail or something!
Brandon Buddy, just back from buying a mega-pack of Twinkies at Costco
- Loved the Marlena / Sami / Will scenes today. They might have been able to do an hours long show featuring those three alone.
- Bump for Will's big day
- That wasn't a kiss. It was a full frontal attack. Can't blame Will though, the guy was cute.
- I'm SO glad they really went for it rather than staging it as sterile and meaningless.
- Neil turned out to be a good guy and totally hot. Sonny, Kareem and Dustin all seemed a little sad he wasn't into them.
And it was more than a kiss between Will and Neil. It was a full on makeout session that lasted three segments.
Will grabbed Neil and planted one on him like there was no tomorrow. Who knew our little Will Horton was a top?
For everyone's viewing pleasure:
- More on Heather Webber's return ... it seems she may be tied into the Jason-Franco story; rumour is her presence may already be felt in the story now before her first appearence in late March - could she be pulling some strings behind the scenes? How is she tied in with Franco? Did Heather keep a twin born to her cousin Susan Moore? Or did she herself have another child other than Steven Lars?
Heather may also be tied into Helena's story as well.
- I'm just happy Mattson's returning to her GH gig, I love it's going full circle with these returns.
I thought she should have returned to GL as Hope Bauer Spaulding and mowed half of Springfield down with a machine gun.
- Finola Hughes, Jason Thompson and John Y. York have done nice jobs in dealing with Robin's death. Watching Anna and Mac made me remember the days when they were the show's major characters.
Tristan Rogers and Emma Samms are set to return tomorrow, no?
- Judging from the warped state of affairs during GL's last decade, I am surprised no one did bring Hope back to reveal her as a serial killer.
- John J. York was amazing today. He killed in that scene where Mac ripped into Sonny over Sonny's crocodile tears regarding Robin.
Maurice Bernard is just one hell of a horrible actor. Does anything light a fire under him?!!!
- Are there any homeless people in Salem? You'd think Horton Square would be crawling with them looking for heat and shelter.
- This is why I hate soap opera deaths. You know Robin is still alive, so all of these 'great' performances are meaningless.
- Poor Sonny. I didn't know if he was heartbroken or wanted to join Will and Neil.
- Regarding Robin's death, from what I've read she isn't really dead (shocker!), but will either resurface at some point in the coming months or it'll be announced she's alive.
- The idea of watching GH makes me itch. Can someone tell me what happened w/Robin?
- If Will Horton is a top I'm Teddy Roosevelt. Versatile at best.
- Will is so a top. He took charge. This episode was gay, gay, gay. Loved it. Especially Sonny being jealous.
- r138 - she died in a lab explosion. But don't worry - she managed to get the life-saving serum meant for Jason to Patrick in time.
Soap opera deaths are hard to take seriously because death never seems to take, but it is usually the affects it has on those around the character that are great to watch. And this appears to be instigating a nice umbrella story, which are always good to see on soaps.
- There is nothing better than the Will-Marlena-Sami trio. Hottest thing on daytime right now. Now if only the writers would figure out how to make the rest of the show work, then DAYS would be a gem.
- The boys handled the body movements well, but neither of them moved their lips at all. The kiss was just pushing their faces together at the mouth.
That's nothing like my first kiss was, even though I had no idea what I was supposed to be going.
It's the kind of gay on-screen kiss that we used to see often (relatively speaking) when you could tell one or both of the guys really didn't want to be lip to lip with another dude. These days that doesn't look real anymore.
But I'm glad they did it anyway and I shouldn't be so critical. Still, I hope the actor works on technique if Will is going to be making out with guys more. Or maybe that's just how he kisses period. If so, he'd better never plan on having a boyfriend/girlfriend that likes a good kisser.
- EJ is going to be SOOOO jealous!
- Sonny's friends seemed nice. They had a sense of humor but weren't bitchy mean. I want to live in Salem.
- I laughed today at the thought that there wasn't a single gay in Salem until last year when Sonny arrived. Today there were 5(!) on screen.
Plus, who decides to suddenly go wash their face like Will did?!
- What's this telenovela project that Jill Farren Phelps is producing and Josh Griffith is writing? It shoots late next month until July. A breakdown description for one character was sent out to agents yesterday.
Could this possibly be a back-up for THE REVOLUTION, which is tanking big-time? I like the idea of telenovelas taking up that time slot.
Maybe Maurice B will get a role on it?
- Sonny is so boring. Will seriously needs to hook up with another slightly bad boy like him. Wish Chad were still in the competition to be his boyfriend. Unfortunately, I'm guessing he'll be in a committed and sexless relationship with boring good boy Sonny.
I can not wait for the Mannings to arrive in Port Charles. Just need to get them on my screen. Add Todd and Blair along with Anna, Robert, Holly and the other blasts from the past (Bobbie and Heather) and GH will be fun tv again.
- GH will never be completely good again until we see Sonny Corinthos killed on-screen.
- Don't forget Noah Drake and Frisco and Felicia, r148.
GH will be filled with fiftysomething vets that will ironically be eons more interesting than any character GH has been trying to hoist upon us in the last decade!
- Jonathon Jackson has landed a starring role on a new ABC soap pilot called Nashville - he will be playing a sexy bad boy.
- RC's name is being listed as writer, but is this Robin stuff Wolfe's material? I remember RC saying in an interview that he asked for Anna, Robert and Holly and he got them.
The Kate-Sonny stuff is extremely boring, as is Sonny's material with his sons. The Corinthos have really got to go. I am unsettled by the rumours that Brenda is returning.
- True R150, I love Noah, Frisco and Felicia The 80's were a great time on GH.
RC is including a few bits of his stuff with Garin Wolf's story. Apparently, he could only tweak so much so we're seeing a combo of RC's tweaks and GW's planned story. GH episodes as fully written/created by RC won't air until March.
At least he fixed the Robin story as much as he could by adding Robert and Anna.
- If GH is ending -- and hell, even if it isn't -- I'd like to see Ron and Frank pay tribute to the long-running fans of the show who stuck in there through all the mob crap of the last decade plus.
I'd like to see them fix the whole Rick Webber/Teresa Carter fiasco. They ruined Rick and made him a weirdo to write off Laura.
And can Lesley Webber slap Helena for keeping her captive for 12 years?
I'm sure Y&R would let Genie out for a few episodes to say goodbye to GH.
I'd like to see Scotty and Bobbie, too.
- Full Will kiss, includes today's portion.
- Happy 17th birthday,Andy Trischitta! Didn't you make the move to GH with the rest of your soap family?
- r154, I would love to see RC fix the attic mystery fiasco (like he tried to do with the Victor Lord-heart story). The only way out, unfortunately, is to have Helena Cassadine and some of her mind-control techniques somehow responsible because Laura, Lesley and Scotty validated all the rewrites Guza made in that horrible, horrible story. I really don't see any way out of it.
There was a chance very early on - fans were puzzled by Rick Webber's strange behavior, making mysterious phone calls to someone about the GH takeover bid that was never revealed, and the fact that he treated Lesley like she was a complete stranger. They could have wrote it in that the visiting Rick was an imposter (planted by Helena), and Laura was being drugged by Cassadine to believe false memories. But Lesley all but confirmed she was married all those years ago with a serial womanizer who fucked prostitutes in the attic (even though viewers at the time were watching the classic Lesley-Rick-Monica-Alan quadrangle), and there is no way around the fact they revealed Rick and Scotty had shared a pact all these years to keep the body in the Webber backyard a secret (?!!). Now, of course, Guza capped the story before he left with Scotty being revealed as Rick's real killer.
Awful. One of the worst stories ever in daytime.
- Didn't Claire Labine create all of the 'mob crap'? Why doesn't she ever get any blame? I don't really care one way or the other, but Guza and his team won a lot of awards and kept the show highly rated for quite a while.
Now back to Will Horton: Butch Total Top. What ever would Grandma Alice say?
- [quote]Didn't Claire Labine create all of the 'mob crap'?
Yes and no. Sonny pre-dated her run on the show, although she refocused and refined him somewhat. The mob stuff is really more Bob Guza's bastard child.
The Voice of the Night
- I think Will would bottom for EJ but nobody else.
- Check out TV Guide's interview with Bryan Datillo. He was fired back in 2009 for being a douchebag.
- Lucas was the only guy I ever enjoyed Sami with. I hope they are the endgame couple when all is said and done.
- No matter who they pair Sami up with, it is clear that the chemistry is off the charts with EJ. They smolder. Very Roger and Holly.
- Claire Labine video from this week. Interesting comments.
- [quote] Didn't Claire Labine create all of the 'mob crap'?
Well, GH has had the mob as part of its stories since Luke and Laura days. But when it was used before, it was used either as a short term obstacle for a couple or as sort of background flavor.
Labine has said before when she created Sonny/Karen et al that Sonny was never supposed to become the lynchpin of the show.
He was at the forefront of several years of romances with Lily/Brenda/Carly. But then that just never stopped, and they kept making more and more of the show about the mob. That was Guza and quite frankly, it was probably Brian Frons & Co. who dictated that.
- [quote]Claire Labine video from this week. Interesting comments.
Does she have emphysema or something? I know she had cancer a few years ago, but I thought it was breast cancer, but she sounded so short of breath and raspy...
The Voice of the Night
- Not a daytime fan but I do have to give the soap fans credit for these covert threads. Hope the WM lets this one remain--it is a gay topic, when it stays on topic.
I got VTO the past two days and turned on Days due to this thread. Saw the kiss and it reminded me of my first m/m kiss--pretty rough, not gentle and sweet, but hungry and desperate to kiss another guy.
Much as Hall may be a cunt in real life, she played it just right today. (I haven't seen this since Passions was on and was shocked that Marlena had a grown grandson.) Hall was part psychiatrist, part loving grandma, and her expressions were perfect. I was only sorry that Sami interrupted.
[quote] No matter who they pair Sami up with, it is clear that the chemistry is off the charts with EJ.
The chemistry must come from friendship in real life. The actor is screamingly gay.
- [quote]Much as Hall may be a cunt in real life, she played it just right today. (I haven't seen this since Passions was on and was shocked that Marlena had a grown grandson.) Hall was part psychiatrist, part loving grandma, and her expressions were perfect. I was only sorry that Sami interrupted.
Honest to God, this is probably the most I've EVER liked Marlena. And it's easily the most tasteful DOOL story I've ever seen.
The Voice of the Night
- Allison Sweeney is an awful actress. She ruins every decent scene she's in. Sadly, Ari Zucker will never get a best actress nod nor can she ever put herself in the ring for a best actress emmy b/c sweeney/sami is the 'lead' while poor Nicole/zucker is considered some handmaiden who shouldn't compete outright with Sweeney as she's an NBC pet. Stupid assholes.
I hope Cole doesn't die on GH. Guess the Mannings come next week.
Re: Guza. He was a soap writer who had a lot of internalized hatred for being a soap scribe which is why he tried to make GH a Sopranos lite thinking that it would bring male viewers which would mean that he's a worthy writer since he's 'creating' for men and not lowly housefraus or gay men. Talk about pathetic fool. Frons of course had the same mindset. He destroyed NBC Daytime and went on to destroy ABC. Apparently he was spotted trying to get a job as VP of Daytime at CBS but luckily they rejected his talentless ass.
- They should add nuCole onto GH as a regular for the Manning storyline. Van Hughes is hot and can act, unlike his predecessor who somebody on DL referred to as "the porker with the substance abuse issues".
- "The chemistry must come from friendship in real life. The actor is screamingly gay"
Are you refering to James Scott,r167?
- I think the last thing GH needs is an influx of characters from OLTL. History has shown that it doesn't work.
- Don't be such a buzzkill, r172. The show is desperate for a shake-up - any kind of shake-up. And the fact that OLTL is over and gone, it's not a typical crossover. I trust FV and RC to make GH far more entertaining than it ever has been in the last decade.
r169, you have given brilliant insight into the mind of Bob Guza.
Tristan Rogers, Emma Samms, Roger Howarth and Kassie dePaiva all show up next week.
- R172, correct.
the only thing that's proven to work in soaps is solid writing. I'm glad Ron's there now because Sonny doing whatever the fuck he wants and ruining lives and then feeling bad for two episodes, rinse, repeat, is what really hurt the show.
I don't blame Maurice. I can't even decide if I like him or not. Because he's just on too much. If they'd toned him down, I'm sure I'd be a much bigger fan.
- New lows again for GH.
- R171 No, to EJ.
- R176 That's who plays EJ, James Scott. Catch up, toots.
- Isn't James Scott married?
- I don't think so,r178. And I'd like r167 to elaborate on his/her comment,please.
- They could handle the Rick Weber death easily -- Laura dreamed it all.
Just have Laura return to town, someone make reference to Rick, Laura comment about regretting killing him.
She's then told that never happened, that she must have imagined it during her mental breakdown.
Then have Rick come back to town for a short visit. Problem solved.
- How quickly r173 forgets the AW4. By the time it was over, ATWT fans were ready to cut those bitches.
- James Scott is married to a woman.
- r180, wouldn't work - many storylines were weaved around the Rick Webber death story, stories that involved Lulu and her own romances, Luke and Tracy's marriage, even Monica and Alan walked around thinking each killed Rick (and Rick and Monica had resumed their affair offscreen).
- James Scott's sexuality has been much debated here on DL. All we know is that he is married and he's a cock tease (the Michael Knight story).
- I don't believe James Scott is married. He says he has a girlfriend.
- I have been mildly annoyed with the slow pace of Will's coming out story; but the simultaneous slow baking of the Will and Sonny romance has been intriguing. The show really needs to give Sonny something to do besides being Will's sounding board. It's tough to care about a relationship when only one character in it has been developed.
- FS does a great job with what little they give him to do, and yes, Sonny needs to be pulled into his family's story. He needs to be working with his Dad and Brady and Victor and against Ian.
I really thought FS played Sonny as both hurt and worried when he saw that kiss, as though Sonny hasn't even admitted to himself he's got feelings for Will.
They should not waste that actor. He's good.
- This week of Days has been GREAT.
Sami and Marlena having it out. Rafe finding out Sami slept with EJ. EJ proposing then Rafe barging in. Will kissing the guy. Will telling Marlena about it. Sami then coming over to confront Marlena.
This is what soaps are supposed to be about. Family drama. Secrets coming out. Confessions. Confrontations.
Not gangsters shooting at each other.
- I felt a need to repeat something I said back on page one.
EJ'S BIG, THICK, VEINY UNCUT COCK.
- I prefer:
EJ'S BIG, THICK, VEINY CUT COCK.
- Don't forget, r188, this intriguing new stuff with creepy Ian and Madison. They have me sucked in.
- I think it's hilarious how twentysomething Ethan is terrified of eightysomething Helena, who brandishes a butterknife all the time.
Hopefully this storyline is over soon ... Cassandra as Helena's daughter plunked royally. Does anyone care? The Cassadines are about as scarey as Salem's DiMera family - they've been overused and it's time for them to go.
- How is 80 year old Helena, 20 year old Cassandra's mother? It would have made more sense if Cassandra's bio mother was Laura via some kind of stolen egg thing.
- Ian has been on Days for what, a week? He's already more menacing than Helena and Stefano combined.
Next week, Ian will have a scene with Will. He also name checked Sonny and said something about him being gay.
There's speculation that Ian will turn out to be Lucas's real father. I like Lucas and Will as Hortons, but that would make Will Ian's grandson and stir up trouble.
- My only question is why exactly does Will think his family would disapprove of him being gay? The Bradys aren't homophobes, conservative, or even conventional. Why is he so convinced they wouldn't accept him?
- Will is still in his self-loathing phase which translates into him thinking everyone else will disapprove or hate him. Will apparently believes he will disappoint Lucas and who knows what he thinks about self-absorbed whore of a mother. At least Marlena expressed her love to him on Friday and Sonny pretty much coaxes him out of the closet (at least around Sonny) on Monday. Any Will and Sonny shippers should be very happy with this coming Monday's episode.
Freddie is doing a great job given the limited amount of repetitive material they have given him. He simply needs something else to do besides being Will's gay best friend and potential long-term love interest.
- Even so, coming out is not easy when you previously tried convincing yourself and everybody else that you're straight. I don't think the struggle for this character was necessarily how his family may react, but how comfortable he is with his own sexual orientation. r86 hit the nail on the head about Sonny...I hope the character development will improve. I know they shoot months ahead of time, so we shall see.
- r193, I think that was originally the plan - Luke's illigetimate son finding romance with another child of Laura's (that Helena took and claimed as her own). With the Cassandra character not as popular as the show had hoped, and Nathan Parsons leaving, I don't think the story is being pursued. RC has to find a way out of it. Speculation is that Helena will be killed off in a murder mystery.
- R190 I think we'll both have to inspect him, then, to see which one it is.
And see how many licks it takes to get to the center of that lollipop!
- Gotta say after watching Friday's GH I have no doubts RC is going to fix it. I'm sure its still too little too late but we'll enjoy the last few chapters for sure. Almost immediately stuff that hasn't been working became much more palatable. And honestly I'll go along with just about anything that brings Anna, Robert and Holly back.
- I have ended up watching GH everyday this past week. I usually prefer watching reruns of Golden Girls, but I have actually stuck with an episode full way through and going back the next day to watch a full episode again. There is definitely a change ... it does a feel a bit like the old GH, although I don't know how to explain it. I like the way the characters are interacting with one another. The dialogue is better. Giving Mac the first material to bite into for the first time in years signaled a difference.
- I still want John York inside me quite deeply.
- Ewww, isn't he like 40?
- 40!?! Ewww. Does anyone actually live that long?
- R192, interestingly, both the DiMeras and the Cassadines were created by the same writer -- the late Pat Falken Smith.
She was Bill Bell's protegee at DAYS; she went over to GH after DAYS and picked up the show after Doug Marland left.
PFS ran with a lot of Doug's existing stories; she didn't clean house. I believe she brought on (or fleshed out) Joe Kelly and his family -- father Paddy and stepmom Rose and she also brought on the Cassadines, Luke's post-Frank Smith nemesis.
After GH she went back to DAYS and created Roman, the Bradys and the DiMeras.
She was a great writer.
- Pat Falken Smith was a great writer, agreed.
She also followed Marland to Guiding Light but her action-adventure style clashed with the show and she didn't last long there.
Oddly, though, she sort of fell off the face of the soap opera earth after that. Odd for a genre that hired Megan McTavish six times.
- Pat Falken Smith lasted a grand total of 3 months at GL. I'd love to know what went wrong.
- All of the Pat Falken Smith talk is great, but please let's not forget that...
Will Horton is a demanding power top who will not be denied.
- R208, I think Will would be a bossy bottom where EJ is concerned.
- R206, I almost forgot Pat was at GL.
There was a lot of turmoil after Doug left; I think Pat's most-lasting contribution to GL was having that runaway house hit the boarding house and that's how the Reardon's got Company.
I could be wrong about that.
There was Pat, then Virginia Browne... then Pam Long and Richard Culliton.
That first Long era was amazing; yes, many of Doug's colorful characters were phase out, or as Chris Schemering wrote 'difused' (sorry, Vanessa), but we got in return: a re-invigorated Lewis clan, Reva, Alexandra, the Four Muskateers, India, Fletcher and Claire...
- Bumping to the front
- You're right, R210. Falken Smith also wrote Amanda and her mother Jennifer's husband falling in love while on an oil rig in Venezuela.
- The actress who plays Cassandra is gorgeous and isn't a bad actress, but the storyline is a dud. Who cares about Ethan? I've never been a Luke and Laura fan, but destroying their legacy by having Luke cheat and father a child while married to Laura was a bad move. I really wish writers would fix that.
- Here's an easy out on how to do that, 213:
Ethan is the 'miscarriage' that Holly had after Luke was presumed dead (and Laura was already presumed dead) and she married Robert so as not to be deported.
Sure, it was a miscarriage, but if they tweaked it and made it a stolen stillborn then Ethan gets to be Holly and Luke's, but this way he doesn't knowingly cheat on Laura.
Ethan would have to be a year older than Lucky, but I can live with that.
- But Luke has already admitted cheating on Laura.
- R209, Will is a bossy bottom with everyone, not just EJ. Sonny and his puppy dog eyes are going to have a tough time keeping Will satisfied.
- R215, it's sad...the day they let these actors have input into stories...which is what I suspect when on here.
Genie's been quoted as saying Peter Bergman has treated her better than any other leading man.
Geary has said Jackson is the best actor he's ever worked with.
We get it. There are some hard feelings between them.
I just wish TPTB hadn't allowed the writers to ruin the characters.
- The homeless of Salem were forcibly relocated to sister-city Melaswen by executive order of newly-elected mayor Elvis "EJ" DiMera.
The Voice of the Night
- I thought the homeless were living in the underground tunnels and caverns that run through out Salem.
- EJ has moved out the homeless in favor of young, beer pong playing gay men. It's part of his civic improvement initiative.
- I do so love that the "club" at Salem Square was just...Salem Square, with a beer pong table set up, and the seating at the "club" was just the benches where all the other scenes take place. "Days" cheapness is something to behold, but if it keeps them on the air, I don't mind. Do you think we'll ever see Will's Dimera-financed apartment? I don't.
- Mayor DiMera also announced plans to re-name Horton Square to Sean Cody Memorial Plaza, and plans to renovate, starting by replacing the existing eternal flame with an Astroglide fountain.
He's also created the office of Mayoral Pool Boy, and is expected to appoint campaign aide William Robert "Will" Horton to the post. When asked for comment about the apparent cronyism, His Honor mumbled something about "nipple placement" before declaring more clearly that his office had no further comment.
The Voice of the Night
- The club is like The Abbey, they were playing beer pong on the patio area of the club, that just so happens to open up to the square. A lot of gay clubs are doing this now. By May sweeps Will will be ramming his big thick Horton cock into all of Salem's twinks all over that square. Poor Sonny's hole will just have to wait.
- Sonny is one of those very nice unoffensive gays who doesn't have sex. He's there to make sure everybody else stays out of trouble. They had to have a goody two shoes gay represented.
- I really hope that Sonny finally gets sick of waiting around for Will and starts dating - and having sex - with one of the day gays. Dustin is kind of adorable. Then, Will would have to chase him a little. It would be good soap.
Freddie Smith played it like Sonny wanted to cry when he saw Will making out with beer pong guy.
- r214, nice try, but Luke has already confirmed he cheated on Laura during their marriage with Holly - although he took exception to her when he found out SHE had a child with Stavros during her years on the Cassadine compound. The only way out is Luke admitting he didn't sleep with Holy and made it up, or Helena planted the false memory that they did (joking, but there's no other way around it).
Guza fucked up the whole Ethan story - he should have been Robert's and giving Robin a brother. Luke could have still become Ethan's surrogate father/bad influence, but Geary and Guza had a nasty pact to destroy everything Luke & Laura.
- Somewhere Van Hazzzzzzniss is crying.
- Lol why would Van Hansis be crying?
- Van Hughes has an actual career acting and singing on Broadway in NYC, he doesn't need to slum on the soaps.
- R229 Van Hansis, Mary, not Van Hughes. Please keep up.
- I will never understand why the fraus get so bent out of shape that Luke fucked Holly while he was married to Laura. It's okay that Luke raped Laura and is more or less a scumbag, but God forbid that he fucked someone else outside of their marriage. And you know, Laura fucked Stavros and Stefan while she was married to Luke and had a child that she left on that island to be raised by the Cassadine, never even mentioning the poor kid until he shows up in Port Charles.
Dr. Bob fucked around on Jennifer with Kim and Kim with Susan, and who's more upstanding than Dr. Bob? I don't understand why this particular fucking around, especially from someone like Luke Spencer of all people, is so awful.
Are you guys going to get this upset with EJ and Chad are spit roasting young Will?
- I found it offensive because for years we were told that Luke and Laura were this invincible super couple and Luke who may have never been true to anything else was true to his "angel". Luke was never an upstanding man but he was a better man when he was with Laura. Luke as portrayed up until about 2002 would never have cheated on Laura. And there was no need to go there in the first place. As someone stated above they could have just said Ethan was the child that Holly miscarried back in 1983. Timetable would have worked perfectly. But it was another example of Guza pissing on the show's great legacy. And I'm not a frau either, 35 year old gay man.
- Do Kate and Roman ever mention their twins Rex and Cassie anymore?
- [quote] Are you guys going to get this upset with EJ and Chad are spit roasting young Will?
You mean EJ and Rafe. And no, I'll be holding the camera and much too busy to be upset.
- EJ and Rafe are very tall and dark. The contrast against Will's milky skin and blond hair will be striking. EJ and Rafe wouldn't dare try to DP Will, would they? They both wouldn't pull out and blast in his face and mouth, while Will is on his knees, mouth agape like a hungry baby bird waiting to be fed by mama, would they?
- R235 Oh damn. I think I have to go into my office now.
*closes and locks door*
- R233 They do not mention Rex and Cassie any more. They've also never officially explained why Stefano genetically engineered Rex and Cassie using Roman and Kate's genetics and what precisely he was planning on using them for. Cassie had a photographic memory as I recall but I forgot what Rex's ability was. Both were branded with the Phoenix tattoo on their wrists and both were tremendously afraid of Stefano. Unfortunately when Dena Higley briefly took over the show in 2003 (before Jim Reilly returned), she dropped the Rex and Cassie mystery and it remains unresolved to this day. Dena Higley was the worst thing to ever happen to Days.
- R229, you mean Ham Hansis?
Dear Lord, thankfully, he is NOT playing Will.
MOTHER, I can't bEEE-leeeave you SLEPT with eeee JAY!!!
THiS AFFECTZZZ MEEEE!!!! NOT YOU!!!!
- "Unfortunately when Dena Higley briefly took over the show in 2003 (before Jim Reilly returned), she dropped the Rex and Cassie mystery ..."
Actually, r237, this was probably the best thing Higley did during her reign.
- Pat Falken Smith was a great writer. She studied under Bill Bell and did a great job at both Days and GH. She understood the genre well.
Unfortunately, she filed a lawsuit against Corday Productions shortly after returning to the helm of Days in late 1981.
Don't know what the outcome was, but Days fired her and Maggie DePriest took over.
Falken Smith went on to helm GL for a couple of months, then moved over to Ryan's Hope for a little over a year, 1983-1984. Didn't work again after that.
She died in 2001 at age 75.
Incidentally, the Amanda Wexler falling in love with her mother Jennifer's husband Mark Evans (played by Mark Pinter) plot was started by Douglas Marland, not Falken Smith.
- R240, actually, Pat did did work again...she went back to GH for a bit and created Anna Devane, I believe. (Pat was second only to Henry Sleasar in coming up with great names.)
She was nominated for GH in 1986 at the Daytime Emmys along with Bill Bell, Doug Marland and Pam Long.
There was a big FUCK UP; Bill Bell got the award on air, but later it was revealed that there was a tabulating error and Pam Long had actually won.
R231, Luke cheating on Laura just seems wrong. I'll never forget after she came back from the dead in '83 and Luke almost had a heart attack seeing her alive.
She tried to go because she thought the Cassadines would kill him and he grabbed her and said: "I will NEVER let you go again!"
Well, he did. He screwed Holly -- presumably others -- and had a baby with her.
That doesn't give Luke depth; it just makes him unlikeable.
- I've always heard that Pat Falken-Smith was very litigious. She sued every show she ever worked for, for one thing or another, and she just wore out her welcome in the industry.
- In today's episode, Sonny utilizes his gay superpowers to coax Will out of the closet without Will declaring "I'm gay!" Marlena could take lessons from Sonny on how to speak with sexually confused people.
I think we also see the cement drying on Sonny's budding attraction to Will. Sonny's final admission that he will always be there for Will. Sonny definitely wants some Horton ass and soon.
- When was the last time Sami was slapped? She's certainly working up to it.
- The end of DOOL literally had me groaning.
How many more "miracle pregnancies" is Nicole going to have?
- Great stuff for Will and Sonny today. Will is not being logical, but he is being hard on himself and imaging the worst. But most young who are closeted do.
Absolutely BRILLIANT stuff between Marlena and Sami - again. All last week and now again this week. Thank you, Days. Stick these two performers in a scene together and magic happens. The hair stands on the back of my neck when mother and daughter go at. It's the right kind of frustration that happens as Marlena and Sami just can't get on the right note. Just when you think they do, something happens. Beautiful disharmony between them.
I'l take this family dynamic anyday over most of the crap I see in primetime.
I thought getting pregant wasn't the problem, it was staying pregnant to term
- Yes, Doug Marland crafted the Amanda-Mark-Jennifer story, and we'll never know where he wanted it to end up because he quit in a huff over a dispute with executive producer Allen Potter over Jane Elliot.
Falken Smith came aboard and took the story into a somewhat other direction, and mixed it up with the Quint-Nola story. Everything was absolutely befuddled by the time Mark's "dead" wife Mona was revealed to be Quint's mystery lady Rebecca Cartwright and all the characters were assembled on a cliff for a very confusing multi-character confrontation that ended in Mark's death. But I do remember Falken Smith really seemed to be fascinated by the character of Quint McCord. It was all Quint and Nola during those 13 weeeks.
- Thought Will looked especially hot today. The jeans he was wearing showed off a nice ass and had delicious looking bulges in the front exactly where they should have been. Yum. Yum.
- r249, glad the story really hit you where it counts.
Yes, I am being sarcastic
- With Nicole heavily pregnant EJ is gonna have to find SOMEWHERE he can grind his thick, uncut beer can cock into. Maybe he'll "rape" Will a la Stanley/Blanche in STREETCAR as his wife is giving birth?
- So little Hope Manning is killed in the car accident with her daddy Cole? I guess this will be the basis of Todd's vandetta against Sonny.
- They're killing HOPE, too? That's disgusting.
- Why would Starr settle into a town where she lost the love of her life and their daughter?
Why can't Marty and Patrick show up to bury their son?
- The only way to rewrite the Luke-Ethan story is to have Luke confess he lied about being Ethan's father because Holly told him that Robert's enemies were threatening to kill Ethan or something like that.
I have a feeling Holly's return is tied into fixing up the Ethan guffaw. Fans have never liked the twist that he cheated on Laura.
- Hope will probably be only seriously injured, thus setting up Todd's revenge against Sonny.
- Spoiler: Robert will be devastated by his daughter's death and start having visions of her telling him that she is alive. Everyone thinks Robert is losing his mind and worried over his state of mind, but Luke will encourage his friend to pursue his instincts. Their trail will lead to their old enemy Faison, who set up Robin's death. Robin is really alive. She'll be written out of the story proper, alive and well.
Wolfe planned on killing Robin, but RC is rewriting the ending of this story.
- Rumours are Lynn Herring will not be coming back to GH because she has health problems and just underwent surgery. Jon Lindstrom, however, is still high on the list of possible returnees to Port Charles. Could Kevin Collins be the Chicago psychiatrist that Kate Howard keeps referring to? Or will Kevin be Heather Webber's doctor?
John McBain will be involved in a triangle with Sam and Jason. No word on how Natalie Buchanan fits into the story.
- It will be revealed that Natalie went to a fat farm and fell in love with her nutritionist.
- Today's Will and Sonny scenes were pretty damn good. They are certainly growing closer now that Will is starting to accept himself. The two of them will make for a very cute couple once they become a couple. Will the show make the eventual Will and Sonny sex scene as explicit as some of the Brady and Madison or EJ and Nicole sex scenes from recent weeks?
- Is Heather Webber back on yet? That would get me to tune in.
And does anyone have any more news on Lynn Herring's illness?
- Robin Mattson reappears in late March.
- Sonny was in full-on gay dreamboat mode today. Would that we all had such a loving, understanding potential boyfriend to come out to. I thought the Oscar Wilde quote was a great addition to the scene.
I can't believe Will didn't take Sonny home right then and there.
- Sonny is like the perfect man. Will must not really be gay or he'd be all over that.
- R261 aka Loanne.
I saw you on DAYS the other week. I'm glad Carrie and Rafe saved your marriage.
- Sonovabitch! I didn't even know I was Days of our Lives!
- I am in love with Freddie Smith! Seriously days is doing a great job with this character and making him a dreamboat!
- Freddie Smith is a very good actor and knows how to turn a boring character into something watchable. But I have to agree that Sonny is a bit too-good-to-be-true. Most of the gay guys that age I knew were bitches and I wouldn't trust confiding anything to them. For years, chicks watched soaps and dreamed of all the unrealistic Prince Charmings that the shows dished out. Now, its time gays have their fantasy hero on a white horse.
Gay men play sports too, says Sonny K.
- I hate to interrupt,but can someone PLEASE start a thread on actor David Sutcliffe? I stumbled across his youtube channel and he has a LOT to say about being precieved as gay for some of the roles he's taken. He also says he has given up actng for awhile. Something is going on with him...
Antonio Sabato Jr
- I think because Will is so troubled with a darker edge, I think they have to show Sonny as a counter balance, so that the fans don't think they're portraying gays as shady and messed up. I think it's a network TV thing.
- Days had several classic romances between the troubled bad boy (Bo, Patch, Jack) and the good hearted girl from a good family (Hope, Kayla, Jennifer). If they are smart, they'll write Will and Sonny that way.
Sonny is written as a gay prince charming. I hope they give him more layers, but it's nice to see that fantasy manifest in a gay character.
- Holly to Luke: "Ethan is not yours! He's Robert's son!"
Welcome twist (a comeback for the Scorpios is underway) - very glad they did it. But it would have been better if Luke had admitted it and it turned out he had been lying to Ethan because he was helping Holly.
The actress playing Maxie is very good - she was great in those scenes Maxie found out Robin is dead.
I guess little Hope Manning went ka-boom in the car with her daddy.
Look out GH viewers - the Starr Who Ate Llanview's Scenery is about to be set loose on Port Charles.
- Nice modern love story, r271. Let's hope the writers go that way. They have been surprising me lately with how wonderful they've been with this long-awaited story.
Agreed! It actually will be very easy for them to recon the recon. Wasn't Luke and Holly's "affair" a one-time thing anyway? All Holly has to do is say Luke was so drunk that he just thought we did it and she went along with it. I am curious how they are going to explain why Holly did it. IT will be awesome to have a brother for Robin... oh wait...
- A fan community has sprung up in support of Will/Sonny. Combat the haters and all that.
- Uhhh, it's RETcon, R274...
- Sometimes Retcon is good, r274.
- I loved the Will-Sami stuff today. The secret of this story (Will-Sami-Marlena et al) is that the writers really do KNOW their characters - who they are, what they want, what they need, and realizing characters can still talk to one another instead of at even in the midst of severe miscommunication - and essentially let the story tell itself. That's when magic happens. Unfortunately, most writers of soaps for the last decade or so have forced their characters to be something they aren't or to tell stories that don't fit them. Making them - and the viewers - eat shit, so to speak.
It's too bad they didn't bring Marlena back as a widow. I just see no point to the character of John Black any more. And I'd like to see Diedre Hall move on to another story with a different leading man.
I have really come to like Eric Matsolf (sp?). And he's just simply gorgeous - when he hasn't over self-tanned himself.
- Lucas looks very good. I like the long hair.
- Robert Scorpio is back, and the scenes today with Anna were like old times. It was like they never left. Felt bad for Robert outside the morgue. Nice flashback.
Oh God, I hope Holly wasn't lying to save her son!
Unfortunately, Sonny is still moping around, but at least there is a nice mix of characters every episode. It used to be Sonny 24/7, which ruined the show. If Guza had written Robin's death, it would have been all about Sonny.
Everytime the actress you plays Kate enters the scene, I think it's the actress who plays Maxie until someone calls her Kate.
Tomorrow is Todd and Blair's first day?
- Will's going to have a sugar daddy in Ian
people think Ian is going to be Lucas' real father not Bill Horton. I hope they do not do this. Lucas and Will being Hortons is good but not some unknown Ian's spawn
- I am not particularly upset that Lucas won't be a Horton biologically. He will always be an honorary member - Bo is always a Brady even though he is really a Kiraikis. It's never really been an important part of Lucas' story anyway - it's just name only, a way to root his character. He's part of the canvas now - it won't alter anything.
I think it's a nice way to establish Ian as a new major character. All they have to do is write out the damn DiMeras, and make Ian the new threat in town. Victor vs Ian is more domestic. They can bring on a whole new family through Ian other children, etc).
Btw, I think EJ will be revealed to Maggie's real son, making him a Horton (that's the secret Alice had). With EJ as a Horton, they can finally wipe Stefano off the canvas.
But Maggie isn't a Horton(and they already did a DNA test with Daniel. But I guess they both can be Maggie's kids)I'm hoping ALice's secret was that Tony is alive somewhere!
- It makes me sick what they did to Stefano DiMera. Joe Mascolo is a phenomenal actor when given the material. In fact, Joe Mascolo and Deidre Hall carried the show during the 90's and brought the show's its highest consistent ratings ever. I am pretty sure that the reason we haven't had a true Marlena/Stefano storyline since 1997 is because Deidre can't stand Joe, but that's unfortunate. Maison Blanche, Phantom of the Armoire, Aremid, Lady in a Cage... those are the storylines that not only defined the show in the 90s, but solidified Ms. Hall has the daytime legend she is today.
Part of the problem with Stefano as he is currently written is that he is missing some crucial characteristics that made him so captivating to begin with. The only thing that surpasses Stefano's genius is his madness . He is supposed to be an eccentric billionaire crime lord who lives in a fantasy world where he himself is king. Life is one big game to him. The only thing worse than Stefano hating you, is his corrupting, consuming love for you. Both Daphne DiMera and Rachel Blake (two former romantic obsessions of Stefano's) were ruined and ultimately driven mad by Stefano, whereas Tony and his adopted children Peter and Kristen ultimately succumbed to Stefano's evil influence becoming just like him, despite their initial efforts to fight against it. The threat of Stefano's obsession with Marlena was not that she would be killed by him, but that he would ruin her, just as he did his previous romantic obsessions and his own children.
On second thought, I suppose diabetes suffering and Brady Pub tea drinking Stefano is just as exciting. Sarcasm intended.
- Does Port Charles still need a resident virgin?
- [quote] I am pretty sure that the reason we haven't had a true Marlena/Stefano storyline since 1997 is because Deidre can't stand Joe, but that's unfortunate.
I think you may be right, R285. At least the Deidre part. Joe is loved by most actors and Susan Flannery loved working with him.
I'm over Stefano and the DiMeras because I think they've drained any and all possibilities with him. I realize that may be just my opinion, but I've followed this show here and there since my mom got me hooked in the late 70s and have seen all the DiMera stories…and to me, I can't imagine anything that would surprise me about Stefano, other than to learn that he has a vagina.
When that kind of thing starts repeating itself it bores me. Same with Jack/Victor on Y&R, or the whole business thing on Y&R, or designers on B&B. Same with my old favorite Guiding Light and who ran Spaulding. No one knows what the fuck any of those businesses do and they changed hands almost as quick as people changed partners. When they made Harley the CEO that shot all credibility.
I love when shows respect history and don't want to see a cast of newbies. But sometimes these shows have beaten old storylines TO. DEATH.
- R287, Harley as CEO of anything was ridiculous. (Not the actress' fault; it's just bad writing.)
The thing is business just needs to be a backdrop to the interpersonal relationships.
Victor owned Jabot for most or all of the '90s. That was the thing -- Jack wanted it back, but Victor had it.
Now, Jabot, NVP, Beauty of Nature...it all constantly changes and nobody cares. There are no stakes.
- that guy playing Bill the last time was really good. He was Brittany's dad on Y&R and a million other things I can't remember.
- R287, I would have no problem getting rid of Stefano, but only if he is given one last BIG storyline that culminates in his death, once and for all, at the end. The show used to hint that there would be an epic final battle between John and Marlena and Stefano and I was always very excited to see that play out. Sadly, they will probably kill Stefano off one day without any buildup or actual storyline that respects his incredible legacy as the best villain to ever appear on daytime.
- Damn I figured they would kill Cole to free up Star but killing Hope too is just bad ass. RC isn't playing around is he?
- babies are great plot devices, R291, but where do you go once custody and paternity has been determined?
- I'm sure there will be no bodies recovered and when Starr leaves the show or GH is cancelled Cole and Hope will turn up alive and well.
- I'd be cool with that R293; there's nothing wrong with happy endings with these characters going away forever.
- "Maison Blanche, Phantom of the Armoire, Aremid, Lady in a Cage... those are the storylines that not only defined the show in the 90s, but solidified Ms. Hall has the daytime legend she is today. "
Ugh ... all the stories I hated the most. James Reilly stories. Ugh.
I loved Marlena until Reilly got his hands on that character. Currently, I see the Marlena of old and I am enjoying her once again. Marlena had been popular since the 70s, so I think her longevity is that she has been able to be adapted to all the trends of the changing decades. Now they are returning to 70s' style Marlena because that's what the mantra is for soaps these days - going back to a show's roots, trying to correct the damage that has been done to shows over the last couple of decades.
Stefano DiMera was perfect for the over-the-top 80s, and for the campy 90s, but he doesn't belong to the retro 20-teens. They are trying to domesticate Stefano to curb the outrageous supervillany of the past, but it comes off as very inauthentic. Hard to take the "normal guy" Stefano seriously; this was a James Bond-type villain, not Blake fucking Carrington.
Vivian Alamain is another perfect example of having had her time in the sun - she was representative of the 90s, but her style of character just isn't what fits in the 21st century.
- r284 - Victor obviously had something to do with the DNA tests. He is keeping a secret about Daniel that has never been elaborated on. Plus: Daniel's recent health scare kept pointing to the fact that he was mysteriously inheriting his adopted mother's medical history and not Maggie's.
The secret in that envelope that Stefano took from the safety deposit box is Alice's confirmation that Susan Banks gave birth to EJ via Maggie's egg.
Maggie is and always will be a true Horton (if not through blood). EJ will be a Horton through her.
- Don't worry, Cole is safe with a happy Hope in Luna's care.
- R295, I acknowledge that there are a lot fans who didn't care for Jim Reilly's storylines in the 90s, but there is also no denying that they were immensely popular at the time and gave Days their best ratings in the history of the show. The damage that was done to Days I credit more with his successor, Tom Langan, who continued with the bizarre but destroyed the heroes and the heroines, and shoved the unlikable teens down our throats, giving the audience no one to root for. Tom Langan wrote nothing but hate.
At least love was at the basis of Reilly's 90s stories and that good will ultimately overcome evil. Many of his stories were also much deeper than given credit to and no other soap, nor at any other time in the show, was morality, goodness, and evil explored to such a degree. His views on life and what it meant to be a good person and whether evil was innate or learned permeated through his work. Whether you agreed with Reilly's morality or not, he did have something interesting to say about life and he used the soap opera medium to explore his views. Reilly also knew how to write stories that had beginnings, middles, and ends, and usually wrote satisfying payoffs worthy of the buildup.
I won't justify the crap he wrote in the 2000's nor will I defend his horrible and insulting Passions... but neither will I take away his contribution to the show that was infinitely more entertaining than anything written on Days in the last 10 years.
- What happened to the ban on soap threads (which is what this thread has become)???
- Looks like Sonny's coffee house is finally opening up the week of March 12, so maybe we will start seeing more of him.
Also, Brian Datillo said in an interview that Lucas figures out that Will is gay when Lucas sees Will flirting with a young man.
I am also enjoying Marlena as the good shrink/grandma in the Will story as well as Sami calling Marlena out for not being around for her.
I've really enjoyed how they are writing Sami these days, as a person who wants to do better but her own narcissism keeps blowing up in her face.
I wouldn't mind Stefano dying for good, and his role being filled by EJ.
But the new real hard core villain seems to be Ian. I think it's a bad idea to de-Horton Will and Lucas but I will not be shocked if they go there. Ian owns the screen whenever he's on, too.
- Ian's getting a close-to unanimously positive reaction. I'm happy that DAYS was able to launch a new villain character with him.
- While I really like the Will-Marlena scenes -- they're genuine and heartfelt -- I can't get past the fact that Marlena has completely ignored Will in the past.
If we'd seen some grandmothery scenes in the 17 years Will has been a character on the show prior to the past 4 months, I'd be able to buy these caring and concerned Marlena scenes a little more.
Hope they keep Lucas and Will as Hortons. Yes, they've always been peripheral Hortons. The family connection is only played up when convenient. And I don't think Will has ever put an ornament on the Horton Christmas tree -- the true sign that you are a Horton.
But still, I like having Will connected to the main family on the show. As long as he remains a Horton, he has blood connections to nearly every character on the show -- Hortons, Bradys and Reed/Roberts. In fact, the only characters he's not related to are the Kiriakis, Hernandez and DiMera family. But then, he's had Rafe and EJ as step fathers, so Will has ties to them too.
- Do Todd and Blair start today?
- I have no idea who Freddie Smith is, but does that chick in the photo booth know she's marrying a 'mo?
- R304, Freddie strikes me as heterosexual due to that interview with the Cleveland television station. No self-respecting homosexual would have done that interview looking like he did. Short of oversleeping and speeding to the studio, heterosexuality is his only excuse.
I have no idea on Chandler. I wouldn't be surprised if he is straight, gay, bi or asexual. I'm sure he claims to be straight just like every other soap actor.
- Freddie has been booking all these commercials where he plays it straight. In the latest, he's using his puppy dog eyes to gawk at Kate Upton. I'm pretty sure he's straight in RL.
He doesn't overplay Sonny's gayness, either. But he does play subtle moments, such as the Oscar Wilde quoting, pretty convincingly. But Sonny was conceived as a guy who people are surprised to find out is gay, so that's true to the character.
I'm not sure about Chandler, but he does do a great job during scenes with Will and the other gays. Chandler plays Will as shy but just delighted to be around his tribe.
- [quote]While I really like the Will-Marlena scenes -- they're genuine and heartfelt -- I can't get past the fact that Marlena has completely ignored Will in the past.
If we'd seen some grandmothery scenes in the 17 years Will has been a character on the show prior to the past 4 months, I'd be able to buy these caring and concerned Marlena scenes a little more.
Marlena had a late in life pregnancy (Belle)right before Will was born so she was still raising a child herself. Its not uncommon for women in that situation to not take on the "grandmotherly" role completely. Besides on soaps we rarely ever see these types of bonds develop onscreen they are usually just played up when the story calls for it.
- While Alice was alive, I would have loved to have seen a Days' storyline where Stefano stole the Horton Christmas ornaments. Alice could have received a broken ornament each day. "Oh dear, WHO keeps breaking our balls?"
- I would have loved that, R308.
I loved mischievous Alice.
I always assumed Freddie was straight and Chandler was gay just by first sight but I don't know for sure. I haven't seen that Freddie interview though.
- LOL at R308
- "L.B. Gardner. 'L' is for Lisanne. I'm not sure what the 'B' is for." - Alice Horton
- I also think it would be a mistake to change Lucas' paternity. The creation of Lucas Horton is perhaps one of the best uses of history on a soap in the history of the genre. For Jim Reilly to take a minor character who fucked Bill Horton in the 70s and create what he did was genius. Also, how many great loves did Kate have? I know Ian is getting raves, but he comes off as fey and not menacing enough to me. I can't think of who should have played the part, but Ian isn't my cup of tea.
- Dee and Chandler
- [quote] For Jim Reilly to take a minor character who fucked Bill Horton in the 70s and create what he did was genius.
Minor character? Minor? (gasp)
- They used to dress Will way more gay. Back in the fall, when he was dating Gabi he was wearing this tight blue t-shirt that should have been a dead give away. It was kind of silly.
He looks way more low key now. Delicious in his tight jeans and sweaters.
- R316 I agree. I love his look now. I think he looks great, looks older and more mature.
- Who hasn't Kate fucked?
Does Kate have the golden pussy? Every man on the show seems to fall for her.
Was she that good a fuck during her days of being a prostitute, which apparently came after she was a doctor, but before she became a high powered corporate mogul.
- Kate also has six children, though she has only given birth to three of them, so her vagina had not reached clown car status.
- There's a great photo of Frank Valentini in the last issue of Soap Digest. Boy, that man is all kinds of hot.
- Looks like Ron is already doing OLTL on GH, with the Mannings and McBain and now Kate has DID.
- New Chandler and Casey pic.
- Days fans might want to get in on this one.
Over on the Supergirl thread, linked below, a poster is claiming that our own Dee Dee Halls was the first choice to play the Girl of Steel in that campy 1984 movie. Poster said the only reason Dee Dee didn't get the role was because Ken Corday wouldn't let her out of Days to film the movie.
Others cried bullshit and said Dee Dee would have been 37 in 1984, too old for the part.
Now the poster is claiming to be personal friends with Dee Dee. Says Dee Dee says she was actually born in 1957, added 10 years to her age to get roles in the early 70s.
- I have a hard time believing that any actress would keep ten years onto her age, but it's a weird world. Maybe the Supergirl story has been exaggerated.
James Marsters, Spike from Buffy, was brought in for an audition for Anakin Skywalker when he was 40. His age prevented him from being seriously considered.
I've really enjoyed the Dee/Marlena scenes with Will. Marlena was a popular character early on because Dee can project empathy like nobody's business. She's bringing that back to the character.
- I stopped watching Days for awhile, during the introduction of Shawn Christian's character and the Melanie character. Can someone explain why the online fans hate both characters so much?
- I think it was because they were newbies who immediately came on the scene and became front and center in stories while legacy characters languished on the back burner, R325.
There was a lot of propping. Every straight guy in Melanie's orbit fell in love with her. All the women of a certain age made eyes at Daniel. Lots of dialogue about how wonderful Daniel is.
Then, the writers took these characters and retconned an old IVF story and made them Maggie's son and granddaughter - basically making them defacto Hortons.
Melanie is tolerable in her friendship scenes. Daniel is tolerable when he's bonding with Jack.
Basically, the actors are the pets of the producers and get lots of story. Although, both have been dialed back lately.
- Thanks R326. I couldn't figure it out, because both seem to hardly ever be on, and I would think a hottie like Shawn Christian would be a fan fave. I appreciate your response. Thanks again.
- Thanks r326. I've been getting back into DAYS myself after about a seven year break. I don't get what the deal is with Chad either. The actor looks like he's about 14 and I have a hard time buying him as a young stud that all the young twenty somethings in Salem want. And isn't Melanie a bit too old for him? She's post-college right?
- r313, I wouldn't care less if Lucas was re-parented. Anything that would wipe ot anything about James Reilly would be welcomed by me.
A Lucas rewrite would take a character that has essentially run out of story and give it a whole new life.
r321, GH has been the most watchable it has been in a decade. For almost over 10 years, this show has been the most claustrophobic, the most pessimistic, the most depressing, the most misogynistic insult to the soap genre that has ever aired. RC/FV are breaking the Sonny-Carly-Jason-Sam bubble that the show has lived in - the very thing that pushed long-time viewers away in droves - and is fleshing the canvas out. The golden quadrangle are still there, but they have hardly dominated the screen in the last couple of weeks.
I loved Anna and Robert's work this week, along with Jason Thompson. Seeing Luke confront Robert on the bridge on Friday's cliffhanger was just like old times. And Luke was probably the most likable he has ever been in years in his scenes with Finola Hughes.
I was disappointed Holly claims to have been lying about Ethan being Robert's son - that Ethan IS Luke's after all. I'm hoping that she think he is, and Helena's DNA test will reveal otherwise - that Ethan IS Robert's after all.
The actress who plays Kate Howard is VERY good. She hits the right notes like a trained musician. To bad she has to be in scenes with that awful Maurice Bernard. Nothing and nobody can make that guy "right".
The actor who plays Johnny is just about the sexiest thing I have ever seen.
- Chad is pretty popular with fans. He was brought in as a short term character in baby switch plot and caught on. He was turned into another long lost Stefano child, probably because Casey looks like he could be James Scott's brother.
Ironically, it was Chad's chemistry with Will that made him popular on the net and Chill fans really pushed for it to be Chad and Will that fell in love. Instead, they kept Chad straight and brought in Sonny as Will's love interest.
Currently, all the girls love Chad primarily because he's the only straight guy in the younger set. They are bringing in an insta-son for Celeste and Shane and Kim's son Andrew to fix that.
Melanie's age is nebulous. She's probably around 21 or 22, a little older than Abby and Chad. But she was married to Phillip and has had several "careers", so she's a little out of place in the younger set.
- Chad is the only early 20s, straight male in Salem. Why wouldn't all of the young women want him? There are no alternatives.
Sonny's coffee shop opens in a couple of weeks. Maybe that will be enough of a reason for the writers to have him show up once a week instead of exiling him for weeks at a time like they have done recently and appear to be doing now.
- R329, I'm pretty sure that's what will happen-the DNA will prove that Ethan is a Scorpio. Holly will have some 'splainin to do.
- Love how r329 among others have begun pimping GH and that hack Ron Carlivati.
Get ready for the endless posts on how good GH is after only one episode. Get ready for the the endless fawning over the three storylines that Ron knows how to write. I have no beef with the guy, but his fans are just nauseating, especially that cow Jamey Giddens.
- R322 I love when the cast post pics of themselves. What is that black stuff on Chandler's face? Lol
I wish Freddie and Chandler would use their twitters more often. They hardly ever tweet. I'm not saying they should everyday but it's like (especially Chandler) every blue moon they tweet something.
CM doesn't even tweet back his co-stars when they tweet him something. I wonder why?
- I for one am tuning into GH now that Ron's taken over. Obviously a lot of viewers have not enjoyed GH for years and it will be fun to see a new take on it.
- r333 = Bob Guza.
- R334 Chandler used to tweet a lot before he had to delete his twitter. He and Casey (and Molly, when she was in the picture) were always tweeting about being together and posting pictures. I guess he just lost interest in twitter after being told not to use it for so long.
- Which two GH actors were having dinner with Bob Guza and his wife Meg at Mr. Chow in Bev Hills on Thursday night? One is surprising and the other is not so surprising. I'll post the answer in a bit.
- Nancy Lee Grahan and Maurice Bernard?
- Why did Chandler have to delete his Twitter, r337? And who was telling him not to use it?
- R333 Carlivati does get a little hero worship sometimes.
But honestly, a disease-ridden aardvark could write GH better than Guza has.
Wolf apparently didn't have the strength to rebel against ABC to change story. And sadly before GH gets any traction it will probably be cancelled. I expect we'll see an announcement by the end of April, so they can plan for upfronts.
- R337 Really? I wasn't around the Internet last year with Days related stuff, I had heard he deleted it and restarted it but I hadn't heard he was told to delete it! That sucks, I would have liked to read his tweets and wish they'd tweet back and forth like the old days.
- Here is an interview with Freddie from last May where he talks about having to kiss the much taller Trevor Donovan during their scenes on 90210.
Either Freddie never wants to experience the starving actor days again or he's not afraid of being typecast for portraying gay characters, possibly both. I wonder if that's the reason for all of his blatantly heterosexual commercials as of late.
- Freddie's got a thing going playing gay characters who don't seem gay at all. I think he's totally straight, just gay friendly. Seems like a decent guy and he's very hot.
I'm thinking Days is going to lose him to bigger things, especially if they don't start using him more often.
Days will probably be canceled next year, anyway. I wish him well.
- R340/R342 Chandler was told to delete his twitter sometime after he was told about the plans to make Will gay. They didn't let him do many interviews or anything either, probably because he blabbed about Days doing a gay storyline early on. I guess they wanted to keep him quiet. Even when Days was making an effort to get all the cast on twitter and verify their accounts, Chandler was basically the only contract cast member without one.
Once they confirmed Will was actually going to be gay, Chandler almost immediately returned to twitter, but he doesn't use it for personal use like he did before. It was when he was living with Casey so most of his tweets were to/about him.
- R345 That makes sense. I remember watching interviews on Day of Days were he said he was relieved he could talk about now. It sucks, I see tweets from almost everyone in the cast except CM and FS. :/
I guess Twitter isn't their thing really.
- They might also get heat from homophobes on twitter, and the show might not want the actors to have to deal with hate spewed at them.
- Kassie DePaiva did a good job on Friday. Roger Howarth appears on Monday. I'm looking forward to the coming weeks as Blair and Todd get mixed up in a revenge game against Sonny.
Word is Todd and Carly will get involved.
John J. York will be getting more airtime as Mac becomes more front-burnered.
- Can someone summarize what's going on with Bovina? I'm too lazy to Google.
No updates on John McBain necessary - I'd prefer to forget he even exists.
- R344, I agree. Freddie's adorable, but he's awkward when they try and make Sonny say "gay" lines like meeting Madonna in Dubai. He did okay with the Oscar Wilde line, which seemed more Sonny's style anyway.
I bet he's booking the straight commercials so he won't get typecast. He's probably making more from those than Days, anyway. He does not strike me as gay in real life at all.
If I had to pick out a gay character in the younger crowd scenes, it wouldn't be Sonny but Will.
- Bovina, Cole, and Hope were traveling through Port Charles when Anthony's car swerved and hit their car (one-note Benard had shot out his tires). Bovina escaped the car but Cole and Hope were trapped inside and it was balancing on the guardrail on the edge of a cliff. Michael tried to save them but couldn't, the car went over the side and exploded killing Cole and Hope. Bovina passed out, Michael took her to the hospital (most viewers didn't even know there was a hospital in the show) where Epiphany was rather bitchy about the whole thing and had Bovina sedated. Blair showed up yesterday and Bovina woke up at the end of the episode.
I used to watch GH in the late 70's through the 90's but when it became General Mob, they destroyed Laura and the Quartermaines, and the show centered around Johnny One Note (I mean no-talent Benard), I quit watching. This last week was the most watchable string of episodes since they wrote out Genie Francis. Bravo to the new regime. Now if McBain can come on and he and Sonny kill each other in a shoot-out, all will be well.
- r351, when you mentioned Epiphany, for a minute I was like, "Wait, they brought over the know-it-all black chubbette from OLTL too?" Then I realized I was confusing Epiphany with Destiny.
- Good lord, I am reading about the Star plot and I keep thinking of Somerset Maugham's "The Razor's Edge" and the character of Sophie. Will Star end up as a junkie in Paris?
RC can't have taken this from that book.
- r341 I had high hopes for Garin Wolf when he took over, especially when he said in interviews "sometimes they come back." Had hopes they'd restore the Qs and bring back Alan, AJ and others.
Turns out Garin had been working under Guza for too long. Didn't know how to get out from under the mob influence. Didn't know how to stand up ABC brass. Only person who came back was Monica (and thank God she did).
Frank and Ron have proved in short order that they will shake things up. The show is already better if only because they had the good sense to bring Anna and Robert in for Robin's death storyline.
At this point, Frank and Ron's job is to stay off the executioner any way they can, something that JFP and Garin didn't seem to comprehend.
And the best way to keep the show alive is to get the ratings up fast. If bringing back some of the 80s characters gets some lapsed viewers back, that's fantastic. And if bringing Starr over will bring a few young OLTL viewers over, that's good too.
- From what I have seen the GH is still bascially the same as its always been. Sonny,Carly and Jason domination. Robin even died saving, yep, Jason. The show is just too far run into the ground for it to ever come back up.
- Frank and Ron can pull off the second coming and ABC is still going to cancel it. I read last week that The Revolution is doing so bad ABC is considering giving 2 pm back to the affiliates as well. They would rather give the fucking hour back to the affiliates than keep GH on. Sad as it is it's over. At least GH will get the grand sendoff that AMC & OLTL should have gotten.
- Actually, the last I read (which is this week) is that, while the Revolution is heading towards cancellation, they will slot the Katie Couric talk show in there and move GH to the slot before The View. They don't want to get rid of GH in case Couric's show bombs. They made that mistake with OLTL and they don't want to do that again.
- Just read on another board that it's been confirmed that Kristina Wagner is returning to GH as Felicia.
- [quote]Actually, the last I read (which is this week) is that, while the Revolution is heading towards cancellation, they will slot the Katie Couric talk show in there and move GH to the slot before The View. They don't want to get rid of GH in case Couric's show bombs. They made that mistake with OLTL and they don't want to do that again
Bullshit. First of all Couric's show has already been sold for the 4pm slot. Thats why they had to agree to give 3pm back to the affiliates. And there is no slot before The View. That hour has always belonged to the affiliates. Thats the slot that most of the affiliates broadcast Live with Kelly in. If they cancel The Revolution they'll likely either give another hour back to the affiliates or replace it with another reality show Time Square studios has in development.
- And with Jack Wagner doing "Dancing with the Stars" this season, how soon before he appears again as Frisco?
If they can't reunite Luke & Laura, Frisco & Felicia is a pale but acceptable second.
- I just read this week that the reason there has been no co-host slotted in for Live with ? & Kelly is because the ratings have plummeted since Regis left and they are hoping to cancel the show. ABC wants to buy back that hour for the Katie Couric show so the day would lead off with that followed by The View. Then The Chew stays in it's time slot, GH replaces the Revolution, and the affiliates get the 3pm time slot.
- [quote]If they can't reunite Luke & Laura, Frisco & Felicia is a pale but acceptable second.
Didn't they already reunite offscreen? Maybe my memory is fuzzy but didn't Felicia say they were back together the last time she visited a few years ago?
- Jack just broke off his engagement to Heather Locklear, R362. He and Felicia have been divorced offscreen for years.
- If GH is cancelled I'd love it if somehow characters from AMC and OLTL could be incorporated into the final week of episodes as a way or saying goodbye to the ABC soaps. Dorian, Erica and Viki clinking glasses and being bitchy about Tracy would be fun.
- Yes but I was talking about the fictional characters not the actors.
- r355, give them time, for God's sake. It's only been a couple of weeks, and from what I have seen, it has been a vast improvement over what I have seen in the past decade on this show - and that includes the horrible ways Genie Francis' various guest spots (the only bright spots) have been written. I even thought Kelli Monaco did a great job in her confrontation with Wright's Carly over Jason's welfare.
RC has a decade of crap to deal with and maneuver out of.
The Scorpio family drama has been emotionally involving - and I love how Anna and Robert have eased right back onto the canvas without any difficulty.
Finola Hughes has been especially fantastic in the last week - RC knows exactly how Anna Devane would react to losing a child. Anna is strong as nails and is determined to retain control, but every now and then she loses a grip on her emotions. Her scenes with Luke yesterday were fabulous.
Robert has lost all control. Underneath the devil-may-care smooth persona, he is highly emotional.
Btw, the ratings for the last couple of weeks have shown improvement.
- Bryan Datillo gave an interview where he said that Lucas figures out that Will is gay when he sees Will flirting with another boy.
The gay plot is apparently being revved up for Summer. Sami is supposed to be the last person to know about Will. She finds out in May sweeps.
- Besides wishful thinking, what proof does anyone have regarding the sexuality of Chandler Massey?
- R368, I don't think there is any proof one way or another about his sexuality. You could make a case that he's heterosexual and is very private about his personal life. You could also make a case that he is hiding in plain sight as his affirmations of being straight are flimsy or non-existent. You can pretty much read into his sexuality whatever you want and arrive at your own conclusion. Either way, he definitely attends plenty of pro-gay functions and is very gay friendly. Whether that is proof he is one of us or is simply the product of audience marketing by the show or his own PR agent is anyone's guess.
- This week on GH: Bovina regains consciousness. Blair is elated when Bovina moos.
- According to people close to the situation, the GH announcement comes out during the Upfronts. The ABC daytime lineup will be The View, The Chew, Katie and a third hour of GMA. GH's final episode will probably be September 7.In order to carry Katie and the 3rd hour of GMA, ABC's affiliates will get special incentives in primetime and 3 additional minutes of local commercial time during The View and Chew.
FV and RC were brought on strictly to close out the show. Don't mean to be the bearer of bad news, but there was never any plan to save GH. The shakeup in writing and producing, was done strictly to try and stop ratings erosion going into the next quarter.
- I hate to say it, but R371 makes sense.
Someday I think ALL TV will be TOTAL crap b/c it's plain cheaper.
Get rid of shows that make millions and throw on cheap reality stuff; rich women in gowns who are nobodys ready to throw a drink at each other.
Then game shows where people fall into dungeons if they can't remember a friend's birthday will fill up other time slots.
There was a joke that NBC could run the color bars in between friends and seinfeld and still win the timeslot; I bet that could actually work someday. People won't even notice.
Clearly, soaps had a hand in their own demise. Iconic characters were tossed; writers wrote as if they didn't care if the fans watched or not.
Soon, they'll be over. How sad.
- Dramas will thrive on cable, where they will be produced for low budgets and with limited episodes. Things like Showtime's The Tudors or HBO's True Blood - with high concepts and lots of sex and nudity will do well with limited audiences.
Downton Abbey is nothing more than a soap opera with English accents and pretty costumes.
There's still a market for this stuff.
But the jackasses who ran the networks refused accept anything other than the ratings and profits that they got back in the glory days. Instead of cultivating smaller, passionate audiences and valuing them - they freaked and put the noose around their own necks.
Also, technical stuff like it taking years for Nielsen to count DVR recordings had a hand in the demise of soaps.
But the amazing thing is that people who watch on Hulu can't forward through the commercial and will watch a good episode over and over. That's potential gold, but it's too late.
I don't watch live. I watch on Hulu. I know of no one who does watch live.
- Soap Opera went wrong when it tried to copy the primetime shows of the 80s. Simple stories of love, sex, romance and morality gave way to corporate intrigue and action and adventure. I will tell you how to put together a soap for a steal that people will watch.
1) Hire 15 actors. 10 newbies and 5 seasoned vets with some acting under their belts.
2) Set it in a small town. You will probably need 10 sets. A couple of living rooms, a couple of bedrooms, a couple of dining room/kitchen areas, a hospital set, a fancy restaurant set, a diner/casual restaurant set, and maybe a classroom with a high school hallway with lockers. Some small office sets.
3) You have one upper middle class family. Father is an attorney, mother is a doctor with an upstanding goody goody jock son. You add a single dad and his bitchy daughter. You add a single mom and her goody goody daughter. Good son wants good daughter, but bitchy daughter does every she can to keep them apart. Meanwhile the single mom holds a grudge against doctor mom for killing her husband on the operating table and single dad and doctor mom were star-crossed lovers when they were young, but he was poor and her parents ended the relationship and neither one has gotten over it.
And with that you have your first two years of story.
If it was written and acted well, why wouldn't you watch it.
- R374, you are preaching to the choir. But at some point, the programmers all thought that mimicking nighttime shows was the answer and they destroyed everything about soaps.
R371 sounds correct. Most of the last few years' cancellations have been announced in April and the shows have wrapped up a few months later. They get it all lined up for the upfronts.
In all seriousness, if GH goes then DAYS will follow soon after (by 2013) and that will leave Y&R and B&B. Of which B&B has the only chance of surviving, since it is seen around the world and is hugely popular (in many ways, more popular than here.) I could see production of Y&R move to Canada and have a Canadian network produce it, perhaps.
- Days is safe as long as NBC's primetime lineup is in the shitter. According to many in the idustry, Days and The Voice are only two shows making any money for NBC proper.
- I also don't think Days is going anywhere. If anything, I think they're trying to be the last soap standing. They're introducing some plots (gay) and a new generation of young characters that was critically needed in the American soap world.
- They also built that Horton Square set, which was a clever device for saving money as they re-purpose it for all sorts of scenes, such as Will's big kiss with Neil.
The gay storyline is generating interest, too. They also seem to be dialing back from Reily's wackiness and making the stories a little more down to earth.
They've brought on a new villain in Ian.
I stopped watching for years, but the Will plot sucked me back in.
But, I do have a question. Does anyone know why James Scott blinks all the time? Is it because he can't see without his glasses and doesn't wear contacts?
- Ironicly, even though Gloria Monty helped save GH by adding action and adventure plots, she also helped cause its demise by adding action and adventure plots.
That move shifted soaps from character oriented storytelling to plot oriented storytelling. That's when the soaps started skipping some of the emotional beats of a story for the sake of having a major plot development every episode.
Used to be a major aspect of soaps was other characters in town learning about what had happened to someone -- the reactions. Those moments tended to slow the storytelling down, but helped the audience identify with the characters more.
I was very impressed that Ron C gave scenes for most person in Port Charles to learn about Robin's death -- even Edward, Carly and Lulu. Those reaction shots are so important for the strength of a show.
Guza wouldn't have bothered showing anyone but Jason hearing the news. But I found the scene where Tracy told Edward to be so moving -- even though the two are frequently fighting, Tracy put down the sword long enough to share upsetting news about someone they both knew. That spoke volumes about the importance of family and friends.
- [quote]Does anyone know why James Scott blinks all the time?
Is it from the daily pounding that young Will Horton is providing EJ's hairy hole on a daily basis - unseen to the audience of course. Will's cock is so big that it loosened the nerves that control eye blinking in EJ. Or it could be EJ was blowing Will and told Will to shoot in his face. Will being young, missed his face and went straight for the eye, causing non stop blinking to rid the eye cavity of Will potent baby batter.
This is just speculation of course.
- R370's post is meaner than R371's.
- "Ironicly, even though Gloria Monty helped save GH by adding action and adventure plots, she also helped cause its demise by adding action and adventure plots."
This is interesting. My mother's one and only period of soap viewership in her life was GH during Luke and Laura's heyday, but for that brief time she was a total GH addict. However, at some point after the wedding, she just stopped watching because, in her words, "It became all about these wacky science fiction stories. It just got too far-fetched." So it's interesting to hear people say that the show lost its way when it became all "Sopranos" and focused exclusively on Sonny/Jason/Carly when, in my mom's opinion, it had already jumped the shark 30 years ago!
- I'd love to see a DOWNTON ABBEY-type daytime soap.
- r371 sounds on the money. I think the announcement will come in April though. If they waited until the upfronts that would give them like four weeks to wrap GH up for a Sept. ending, since it's six weeks ahead.
- R374 - whether you know it or not, your scenario is EXACTLY how "All My Children" began - and that situation took almost five years to play out...
- It doesn't look like Freddie will be on the show this week and Chandler may only be on Wednesday. Does the show know it's sitting on a gold mine with these two guys? Abigail's stalking story will need to step it up and provide some much needed entertainment since the gays will be largely invisible. Maybe Ian will make the show watchable as the Alamania story is downright awful even if it is giving the show's veterans something to do.
- Damn, no wonder this dude was doing commercials....so far, he's been on less than 40 episodes of Days since his debut.
- Freddie will be on next week, for the opening of the coffee house.
And yes, Days is wasting him by not putting him in other stories the way they are with Chandler.
I'm glad he's getting commerical work.
- r383, too expensive to maintain. Years ago, Paul Rauch wanted to do a period soap that took place on a Southern plantation full of gentleman and southern belles. NBC nixed the idea, but it was remodeled into what became TEXAS.
- IF these are GH last days, I am glad that it will be given a chance to "redeem" itself before it closes it doors for the last time. The Scorpios comeback has been enjoyable to watch, and I am looking forward to Heather Webber's return and Frisco and Felicia's. I am confident that RC/FV will manage to give Luke and Laura a proper closure as well.
- Michael Easton's TV Guide interview on his upcoming story on GH:
- Nancy Lee Grahan has tweeted that Kin Shriner is returning to GH.
- Missing Will and Sonny. They drew me into this show and I'm not getting enough of them.
- Ian is one hell of a creepy dude - he kind of looks like the Joker. But I love every minute that he's on. Kick tired ol'Stefano to the curb and make this guy the new central villain of Salem.
I hope this is a major new character and not the set up of a murder mystery.
I hated the way Kate reacted to Lucas and Sami being together, flying off the handle and referring to Sami as a "bitch". It felt like the DAYS of the last decade. I would have respected the scene more if Kate held back her emotions.
- Sonny's coffee bar is going to have the loosest glory holes in Salem.
- Freddie Smith? Who is this hussie?
- Was that really the way AMC began?
I can understand why you would hate Kate v. Sami, but I love it when they acknowledge history. It makes this show richer.
- So Scummy Corinthos killed little Hope Manning?
- YAAAHHHH - Todd!!!!!!!!!
- r397, I actually love Sami vs Kate, but the Jerry Springer-type confrontations have got to be toned down.
- Days has been acknowledging deep history lately, with mixed results. Will seeing Sami fuck EJ was a great echo of Sami seeing Marlena fuck John and meshed well with Will coming out.
Abby obsessing over Austin has been more of a rewarm, but it looks like they may tie it to Laura's mental illness.
Kate's natural hatred of Sami was meant to hint that she knows Sami was the mole in her company. But if Sami doesn't figure it out soon, she'll have lost her touch. Sami was always one step ahead of everyone, crazy or no.
- You're joking right, R396?
It's criminal that the show hasn't asked Sonny to remove his shirt despite being in Salem for almost nine months.
- R402 Freddie's body doesn't look like that currently which is why he hasn't taken his shirt off. You can tell on the show his shirts are a little tight in the stomach. Freddie started doing PX90 a while back for a reason. They'll be filming summer scenes soon so hopefully his work will pay off and he'll lose the tank top this year.
- a TOPLESS coffee bar?
- Did anyone see Days today? It was prempted here by the President's press conference. Anything of importance happen?
- I think DAYS will be bumped till tomorrow.
Most of the shows will be.
- It looks like the Sonny and Will story accelerates sometime during the week of the 19th.
- Do they do that, r406? For some reason, I always assumed they made the shows with a specific Monday-through-Friday arc, with Friday having the biggest cliffhangers, so that bumping the show back a day for a news event would throw off the rhythms of all the rest of the weeks they have in the can now.
- Well hello, daddy!
Daddy Lucas's biceps are making my hole twitch….
- That pic gives me hope, R407, that they are going forward with a Will/Sonny romance.
- No one has mentioned Todd's big first day yet?
Todd is on bail for Victor's murder. He has jumped it in order to be with Starr in Port Charles following her accident and Hope's death. It seems no one knows Victor Lord Jr is alive yet. Could FV and RC be saving up for a TSJ appearence in the near future?
And they mentioned Viki. From what Blair said about everyone hating him - his family, his sister - Todd has been ostracized by everyone.
Luke telling Robert that Ethan is his son to keep him from jumping - and asking Ethan to disappear so Robert will have something to do - is a bit much. Seems convoluted. I want Helena to tell them all Holly was not wrong after all - that Ethan is Robert's.
Btw, the actor playing Ethan is incredibly hot lately. It took a long time for me to realize that.
- Did they mention me, r411??
NuJack Triscuit and his hot feets
- Well Triscuit, they didn't mention you by name but they did say our son. They also talked about Tea and Nora.
- Well that pic at r407 should prove once and for all that Will is a demanding top. Sonny better give up the hole fast or Will is just gonna take what he wants just like his Grandaddy Bill.
- No one has also mentioned GH's new opening/theme.
- Was Days on today?
- I noticed it r415. Reminds me of the Nightshift theme from a few years ago. In fact is it the same theme? Are there two different versions, the quick flash of cast members who were on it just didnt' seem like everyone.
- Roger Howarth on contract at GH!!
- It was announced today that Roger Howarth signed a long-term contract on GH. So, guess that means that there will be a TSJ appearance to clear up Todd being accused as his murderer.
Boy, Benard and Burton must be shaking in their un-talented boots right now.
- [quote]Reminds me of the Nightshift theme from a few years ago. In fact is it the same theme?
The Voice of the Night
- R414, it doesn't look like young Sonny is too upset at the possibility of giving it up to Will.
It actually looks like he's playing some kind of keep away. My guess is that Daddy Lucas does witness that moment and figures out what was going on.
- r421 that's exactly what I thought when I saw that picture. Still think it's strange that there's been no indication that there's anything romantic interest budding between these two...at least in my opinion. Anyway, when I look at that picture, I see what looks like flirting...but it also looks like Sonny is trying to keep something away from Will. I agree, I think that's when Lucas will figure out that Will's gay.
- The only hint of romantic feelings I've seen is when Sonny witnessed Will kissing Neil he looked more than worried. He looked very sad, as in almost about to cry. I don't know if FS played it that way on purpose or not, but Sonny went back into friend mode.
I'd actually like it if they ever showed Sonny's POV, for him to be concerned about getting involved with someone like Will who only has a toe out of the closet.
- r421, what is your next after Daddy Lucas sees what happens?
- I think it's wrong of GH, Y&R and B&B to include the actor's names in their openings. They don't deserve it.
- It's "actors'," R425.
And they do.
- But when will Rafe walk in on EJ ramming Will….and will the Friday cliffhanger be Rafe reaching to unzip and join in?
- In the episode that airs today, Will gets closer to coming out to Marlena, but they are interrupted again.
Marlena asks Will if he's seen Neil again, and tells him that it is okay by her if he had. She also says he's normal, he just needs to figure out what is in his heart and follow it.
- R424, when Lucas sees what is happening he and Will drag Sonny over to Alice and Tom's house and take turns ragging that hole out Horton style. With each thrust you can hear the boys say, "how do you like the sands in this hourglass bitch?" "Then Will takes his turn and is heard saying "AND. THESE. ARE. THE. DAYS. OF. OUR. LIVES" Slow pan to a photo of Tom and Alice and the Horton Christmas tree with Horton Christmas balls shaking on the tree. Cue closing theme over the sound of Sonny's hole being pounded hard. End with Credit Crawl.
- It's ind of weird watching Blair and Todd doing their Llanview bit in the middle of GH drama. It's going to take some getting used to.
Howarth doesn't look good under GH's lights. Kassie does though.
My God, Starr is not going to be easy to watch. She's already annoying the hell out of me.
I don't like this Robert-Luke-Ethan thing. Why they couldn't have made it more simple and have Robert find out Ethan is his and he took off to look for him. Perhaps they think it redeems Luke to "give" Robert his son?
And why the hell wouldn't they keep Robert around for Robin's funeral?
Finola Hughes is amazing. And John J. York is getting the most consideration he has received from any regime/writer in ages. Felicia's return will give him more story.
- r425 - I toally agree. It was a stupid move on the part of shows. They really should just go back to showing a hospital.
- Other than its scarce screen time, the one thing I have liked least about the Will and Sonny story is how it is being used as a vehicle to redeem Marlena or make me like her again. I'm glad Will has someone as loving and as accepting in his family, even if it is her.
Are any SoCal DLers attending the book signing in La Jolla on the 17th? Both Chandler and Freddie are scheduled to be there in one of their very rare joint public appearances along with a few other cast members.
- I was a bit underwhelmed with Starr's reaction to the news of Hope and Cole's deaths. Did she lose her smart phone or her child? Todd and Blair's reaction was far more compelling. They had me in tears on Tuesday's episode. And I'm loving all the Llanview name dropping. I hope it continues.
- I also don't understand why they made Tristan Rogers either dye his hair or wear a wig. He looked stunning for an older man on Y&R with his gray hair.
- R432 You mention a book signing with FS & CM. Am I out of the loop somehow? What's the book? Who wrote it? Is it about DAYS?
- Here's the book signing info which includes details about the book celebrating Days 45th anniversary back in 2010. Deidre Hall, Lauren Koslow and Christie Clark are also scheduled to appear in addition to CM and FS. The Days attendees were listed on another site promoting Days PR events.
- Frank Valentini's just joined Twitter.
- r436 Website says the book signing has been postponed to an indefinite date in the future.
- I'm confused- I was under the impression that Tristan Rogers, Finola Hughes and Emma Samms were coming back more on a full-time basis.
Robert and Holly are taking off together ... and they couldn't bother staying one more day for Robin's funeral?
- I heard that the Robert and Holly storyline to find Ethan will lead them in to the big who murdered Helena Cassadine story where the suspects are all long-time cast members. Also this will bring Robert and Holly back together as they are planning a Mac/Anna/Felicia triangle. Look for Luke and Tracy to get back together as that is Geary's choice for leading lady.
- I'm also confused about when Ethan was supposed to have been conceived. Was it during Robert and Holly's marriage? Because Luke thought Laura was dead through that time.
- Oh God, I was hoping that we had seen the end of Luke and Tracy. Hate those two together.
- Marlena was a little over the top with her Will love today. The scene was cute and sweet until she called him delicious.
I'm wondering who Will will actually say the words "I'm gay" to first.
- R443, surely Sonny is the first person to hear those two all important words. Will is more out to Sonny than to Marlena, if you could somehow quantify being out so Will saying those words would seem to be the next logical step.
Then again, Will's homosexuality could remain an unspoken understanding between Will and Sonny as well as between Will and Marlena which would allow the show to make a dramatic scene of Will first using those words with his parents. This show loves its family drama.
- Apparently, Days is getting tons more positive than negative feedback on Will's coming out and a potential Will/Sonny romance.
Apparently, Will will blurt it out to Lucas sometime soon. But I hope he will actually say the words to Sonny first.
- Is anyone else surprised that Days of our Lives, Days of our Lives! is doing multi-generational family drama and doing it well?
- I know, R446. If you would have told me DAYS would be the traditional soap I would have said "Gurl you CRAZY!"
- I haven't watched GH in years so I might have missed it but are GH internet fans the biggest cuntrags in soapdom? WTF is up with their negativity on every damn soap board.
I primarily watched OLTL and tuned in to the Luke/Reid storyline and the Chad/Will drama from 2010 so I hadn't traveled the GH boards but jeez, from what I've been reading the past few weeks these negative Nancy's seem to desperately want the show to end. They are pissed about Robert going to look for Ethan, they think the OLTL's few minutes a day is taking over the show, they are angry that RC hasn't dedicated a week's show to Jasam and god knows what. Hello, RC just started writing the show.
One minute RH/Todd was hilarious with his eyeroll when he stated that everyone in Llanview was screaming and yelling at him for being 'so irredeemable'. The next minute Todd/Starr were killing it when they were angsting about Cole/Hope's death. Robert avoiding Robin's death by trying to distract himself with Ethan (obviously the defense mechanism of a man of 'action' who feels helpless over his baby's death). The whole episode was on point and these dumb bitches are ragging on and on about how horrible it all was. Apparently they weren't watching the last 10 years of the horror called GH.
- No, they were watching the last ten years, r448. That's why they have no clue what good written drama is all about.
- GH bled its audience of the sane people in the last ten years. It's core fanbase has been women who cheer when Sonny or Jason put a bitch in their place. It's the soap equivalent to Chris Brown's fanbase. Guza found Kish on OLTL offensive and insisted nobody wanted to see it, but he considered a storyline where Michael is raped and then saved by the sexual attentions of a 30 year old stripper to be progressive. Don't expect the GH fanbase to be sane, they aren't.
- Because GH fans don't want a bunch OLTL characters on their show, they're crazy? That's not fair.
- No, they're crazy because GH fans are dumb bitches who wouldn't know good drama or acting when it falls in their laps. Hence their problems with the OLTL characters and the new writing. They want lugs who have no expression and who mumble all their lines.
- R450 nails it.
- I thought Will's performance Thursday was very different than other scenes he's done recently. Previously he had been tense, tight, on the edge of tears or outright crying. Thursday he was calm, composed, good-humored, very normal in every way even though his lines said he wasn't. Is this supposed to show he is coming to terms with himself and finding some peace?
- R454, word on the street is that he's getting the good longdick from Casey again, and it's changed everything about La Massey's demeanor.
- I think that's what it means, R454. CM is having Will slowly take baby steps out of the closet. I love how he plays Will as really caught between the safety of his childhood (his grandma, scrabble) and what he knows his life will be. I know CM and DH work on their rapport, and it shows. I liked that Will did not want to discuss making out with boys with his Grandmother, but she was still going to try and tell him it was fine if he wants to make out with boys.
- R455 Huh? Chandler's performance as Will Horton doesn't have anything to do with what's going on in his personal life. He's an actor. During his most depressed and angry scenes months ago, he was happy off set.
- Deidre Hall posted a little video of her and Chandler on her Facebook, I saw it last night. I would post it but my phone doesn't copy and paste (I definitely need to upgrade. Haha!)
- I read somewhere that CM has been seeing DH off-set, too, and developing a strong friendship. With the wisdom of her years of experience on TV, is she counseling him off-set in the same way, about the same things, their DAYS scenes deal with?
Also, sometime this week I saw a picture of CM with his publicist on Facebook. CM was wishing him a happy birthday. They, too, looked like good friends. What kind of advice do you think he's getting from his publicist?
- R459 you're trying to imply CM is gay and is possibly getting advice on the issue from them. I don't know if he is or not but yes he does appear he is good friends with Deidre and his publicist. He seems like an outgoing young guy who'd have a lot friends from any age groups. All his family and high school friends are back home so it's no surprise his closet friends in LA are his co-stars and his publicist.
- Interesting Freudian slip R460.
- Someone should inform Massey that seeking acting advice from Hall may not be a wise career choice for him. He's currently acting circles around everyone else on the show. If anything, Hall should be seeking advice from him.
For someone who doesn't seem to lead much of a public life or give many interviews now that his low-budget tween film has run its course, Massey would seem to have little need for a publicist. Does he think he will eventually have a movie career like Efron, Lautner or Hutcherson?
- R460 One of Chandler's friends came to LA to visit him last week. She posted a pic of him on her twitter.
- Chandler certainly can act. He puts a lot into his character. I think he is destined for bigger things that Days. It's just a matter of time. I'd like to see him on a cable series, a la Mad Men or Breaking Bad.
- Lisa Rinna looks like Lauren Koslow's older sister. Funny to hear her call Lauren's Kate "Mom." Any bets that Billie is going to become involved with Ian?
The Abby story is actually very interesting. The way they are writing it, they are taking in consideration the mind of a very confused young girl as opposed to giving us yet another sensationalistic stalker storyline. A recurring part for her grandmother Laura would help tremendously, though.
- I'm one of the few people who much preferred Julie Pinson's Billie.
Chad and Gabi are much hotter than Chad and Melanie. Plus, Chad loses his shirt every time Gabi is around.
- The writers must have realized by now that there is absolutely nothing to do with the character of Melanie anymore. She's now a supporting character in the Abby story, and a romance with Chad has inspired less-than-thrilling results.
Although I would like to see a Chad-Will story, it's not going to happen. I say write Chad and Melanie out now.
- Chad has a lot of story left because of his Dimera connection. And there's many older women with whom he hasn't been paired yet (weren't there rumors about Chad and Billy?) as well as the Gabi thing that of course will eventually happen.
Melanie could have gone three years ago for all I care, though I did enjoy when she and Stephanie would go at it.
- Uggh, Lisa Rinna's got serious Bride of Wildenstein lion face shit going on. I'll have to ff through every scene she's in.
- R469 I agree. I was watching old Billie clips from the early 90s and it's a shame what she did to her face. She doesn't look good, her face looks so fake after whatever plastic surgery she had done.
- Austin Peck still has quite a body on him indeed. Was he always so flamboyant with his mannerisms? I never saw him on his first run as Austin but I remember him from Melrose Place and can't say that he ever came off as gay. Watching him and Carrie now though is like watching Will and Grace interact.
- That's Patrick Muldoon, r471. Austin Peck was the other Austin.
- The only thing I like about Melanie at this point is she is the voice of sanity in Abigail's world. From the time the both arrived at the ski lodge to discover Austin and Carrie were already there to today's episode where Melanie realized the truth of Carrie's massage "win", it's fun to watch her go bug-eyed as she realizes her friend is getting further and further out of control.
- I would get rid of Melanie and Gabi and bring on Jeanne Donovan (Shane and Kimberly's Daughter) for Chad. Then I would create a Horton grandchild, maybe David Banning had a daughter that we didn't know about and is a schemer like her grandmother Julie used to be. Create a triangle. Have Chad embrace the Dimera and bring on Andrew Donovan, who is a spy like his dad who is trying to bring down the Dimeras or something to create even more drama for Chad and Jeanne. Just an idea.
- Oops I meant Patrick Muldoon sorry!
- The younger Days actors had a photoshoot today. Yikes.
- I love it that the neon colors from the 80s are coming back!
- I wish they'd reveal Daniel isn't Maggie's son after all and then send Melanie and Daniel out of town. Nobody gives a shit about either. Melanie always sucked and Daniel has fucked everyone in town and is still a block of wood (albeit a hot one).
- Good idea, r474.
r478 - they'll essentially be gone after EJ is revealed to be Maggie's son and not Daniel.
- No one is talking about the Lisa Rinna and Joseph Mascolo feud that has flared up all of a sudden? Nasty words are being flown.
- Hmmm, a fight between Mascolo and Rinna? I wonder how soon it will be before Billie has to leave town on business? The cast and crew, and most importantly the fans, like the former. I think Rinna has burned plenty of bridges in the past.
- I think Rinna tried to apologize on twitter, but her remark still flared up. I was surprised that she said that. She's generally kind of a media savvy. I like Julie Pinson better anyway, she looks more like she could be Koslow's daughter.
Melanie as Abby's friend is the first I've ever liked her.
- It was the Botox talking.
- I'm liking the psycho Abby plot. You'd think Austin with all his experience with Sami would have gotten a clue sooner.
Ian is going to be the mysterious investor in Sonny's coffee house. Hopefully, Sonny will get his own story out of that.
- Considering that the show seems to be building a future super couple relationship between the two guys, Sonny desperately needs more character development. Being Will's earpiece does not qualify.
Will and Lucas finally reunite this coming week so we should see more tears from Will. It's been a couple of weeks since he last shed them so he probably has quite the reserve built up and ready to flow.
- Since they are bringing back Shane and he's bringing his son Andrew, I would love it if Sonny had trained with the ISA during his travels and is helping set Ian up by accepting his money. Given the long history between the Donovans and the Kirkikases - that could be amazing.
I doubt they'll make Andrew gay, but he could be a friend of Sonny. Sonny has already said that he knows about dark things his family has done. He could have learned about it from Shane.
- Sarah Brown is really being wasted in this crap.
- r486 - a great idea. Daytime's first gay action hero.
- Rinna was essentially hired back for her name - Julie Pinson was the best for what Billie later became but she doesn't have a "name" to try and garner publicity. But I wouldn't be surprised if she did eventually come back down the road. During Rinna's last return, it was proven she shares absolutely no chemistry with Peter Reckell. Although I think the writers are not planning a Billie-Bo-Hope redux (at least I hope they aren't), Billie's relationship with Bo is a major cornerstone for this character and it really cannot survive without a good working factor. This Mascolo faux pas is very bad for her. I suspect she will not be around as long - just like last time.
- r484 - that is a brilliant observation. I never even thought about a Sami connection. Perhaps Austin has an insecure ego that loved Sami's obsession. I must say he is not coming off well at all in this story. I don't think that's anything to do with Muldoon though. I actually like the idea of exposing Austin as a seriously flawed human being facing middle-age. I would love for them to delve into Austin's responsibility in all this - his fear of growing old, missing the adoration and attention of young women, and seeing subconciously in Abby what Sami was all those years ago. What a delicious twist that Austin really did desire Sami through all those years while declaring romantic pure love for Carrie Carrie was his virgin while Sami was his whore). It has the potential for a character-driven story worthy of the Lemay years on AW.
- Sam's search for the truth about Franco's parentage leads her to Heather Webber's room at the Ferncliffe mental asylum.
McBain arrives in Port Charles in search of Todd Manning, but comes across an old enemy by the name of Sonny Corinthos. McBain has a vandetta against the mobster and determines to bring Sonny and his partner Jason down. He uses Sam to do it. Expect a Jason-Sam-McBain triangle to develop.
Former FBI agent McBain finds an old friend in secret agent Anna Devane, who will grow closer to Luke in Robert's absence, angering Tracy - and eventually Robert and Holly when they return to the scene down the line.
- Is the show going to ignore that Stefano framed Billie for Curtis Reed's murder? If I were Billie, I would be mightily pissed at my mom for marrying the man who almost sent me jail for a murder I did not commit, not to mention Stefano was Kate's former pimp.
- Oh and it was Stefano that led Billie to believe her daughter Georgia was dead for the last 16 years. Maybe for the Roberts/Reeds family it is all water under the bridge. You know. Just normal Salem shit.
- Thank R491- sounds interesting! I'll admit, I've tuned into GH just because the OLTL execs and a few actors moved in. I used to watch, back when Jacob Young was Lucky and it was pretty good. I always liked Alexis and Sam and appreciated the Luke and Laura legacy. But I got bored with the mob stuff to and always favored OLTL.
Anyway, I realized my main problem with GH is it has no lead matriarch. Even though Erica Kane was perpetually 39 years old, she was still the head of a family. And thats what i loved the most about OLTL and Viki. And now that I'm watching GH, it seems like thats whats missing.
- I don't think Sonny is the endgame for Will. I think they're still looking for the actor who will be the one. I can also see Will ending up in bed with a girl again for one more try at being straight. Girl getting preggers, etc.
- ABC fired old Rachel Aames when they should have done everything they could to keep her at least recurring. Monica Q could have been molded into the show stalwart, but she lost her way in the shuffle throughout the last decade. And Leslie C went and did that terrible thing with her face.
- Leslie Charleson's face seems to have settled in a bit. It's not nearly as frightening as Jackie Z's.
- Yes, as long as she doesn't do anything drastic again, Leslie C. has looked good lately. And with the right material, Monica could be the strong character she used to be. I always thought Monica was one of GH's most fascinating characters in her heydey - that show's Erica. Her epic desires propelled story for years. I love her early rivalry with Carly when the Qs were still one of the integral families. She was faced with a younger version of herself. It was a perfect development in Monica's story.
- Oh, I think Sonny and Will are being set up for a big romance this summer if not sooner. They've already realized that photo of them getting flirty.
They still need to give Sonny his own storyline. The coffee house is promising, but he needs more.
- All of boards I have been reading seem to prove that there are a lot of disgruntled GHers pissed off about the Llanview takeover. They think GH is about to become campy and silly like OLTL.
- [quote]They think GH is about to become campy and silly like OLTL.
Two words: Ice Princess.
The Voice of the Night
- I think Sonny is doomed and he'll be killed off within the next year.
- A little camp is exactly what GH needs! It seems to have taken itself waaaay to seriously the last few years.
R502, do you mean Sonny on Days or GH? I hope McBain takes down the mob!
- R494 and R496, a few years ago there was a scene where Lucky (Greg) and Liz were announcing their engagment (again.)
In the scene were Lesley, Audrey, Bobbie, Luke... it was decades of history in one room.
Why GH threw their history away I'll never understand.
- after all the mob wars and threats on his life and lives he's ruined, Sonny needs to meet his maker by stepping off the curb and being hit by a bunch of clown students on their way to clown college
- No, R503, I meant Sonny on DAYS (Freddie Smith) I like the actor a lot but I can see the show sacrificing Sonny to move the story forward. Killing him would affect a lot of Salemites.
- Sonny's future on Days will depend on how fans react to the romance with Will which seems inevitable at this point. Everywhere you look right now, the two guys are exceptionally popular, especially with the show's under 30 female fans, not to mention its gay fans. If the show writes the Will and Sonny romance as well as it has written Will's scenes for the past several months, the audience won't let the show kill off Sonny and they would be fools to do so.
- Grrrr--did they delete the Roger thread?
- Fans are responding to a potential Will and Sonny romance very positively and vocally apparently. Sonny is popular, despite his lack of screen time and ratings are up.
I think the tide turned on February 27th, when Will and Sonny had their conversation about the kiss.
Days shows no signs of backing off, and the show remains one of NBC's only profitable properties. It's strange to feel hopeful about a soap, but I am.
But it can't hurt for fans to write and call since the haters and homophobes are pretty loud.
- You know, I'm a GH fan - and a bit of an OLTL fan - and I absolutely whole heartedly welcome the OLTL characters. Whatever it takes to get the ratings up. If they can improve the writing for GH characters and bring the OLTL audience at the same time - perfect.
And frankly, GH needed a strong lead character like Todd to go up against the strong lead characters of Sonny and Jason. For years, the writers made sure that no other character even got close to deposing Jason and Sonny as THE lead actors on the show - resulting in retread stories and logic twisting that resembled fantasy to keep the two mob guys / killers as romantic leads that most of the women in PC had to fall for or befriend at one point or another. " Killer schmiller - that's what they do when I'm not around them so it's okay", seems to be the mantra of most PC females.
Having a character - who, while dark himself - won't take crap off Sonny AND who is being written by a writer who has been writing for the character for years, might actually mean that Sonny and Jason are going to have to either make their podium bigger or step down.
Either way, it's change and that is what the show desperately needs - something to shake it up and see what falls out of it. I mean, there have been some missteps the past two weeks, but I'm actually interested in the show again; there are other stories getting decent airtime; they took Kate - KATE - who I could have been satisfied never to see again and made her actually interesting. And with the introduction of Todd, sorry, but I don't see him playing second fiddle to Sonny and Jason like Jax and Aj and Alcazar and Lucky and basically every other male actor on the show has had to do over the years.
GH drove away most of it's viewers by focusing on the mob and Sonny and Jason, so the only fans left were Sonny and Jason fans or desperate fans hoping for airtime for Robin and Patrick. That was it. Go to message boards that a few years ago used to have tons of posts a day talking about several different stories, and today, you find only a handful of posts per day talking about Sonny / jason / Maurice / Steve and Robin / Patrick. That's it.
So, I'm all for whatever change comes this way. And if GH has to become a GH / OLTL hybrid - so be it. Every new writer that come on also brings their own 'new' characters - every writer. So if these new PTB want to bring on 'new' characters that already have a built in audience to give this show ANY chance of survival, then bring them on!
- My hunch about Sonny has nothing to do with the actor's capabilities or how popular he and Will are. I just think it would be incredibly poignant down the line to kill him off, sending Will and the others who love him into a tailspin.
- I think people are just confused at how the writers will introduce such a huge romance between Will and Sonny when there hasn't been anything from the past several months to base a romantic relationship on. There's been an apparent close friendship that seemed to have mostly occurred off screen, which I think was inconsistent writing. Of course this IS just the beginning, so who knows where the writers are going to take these characters. For all we know, Sonny may not even be the love of Will's life like everyone has assumed.
- Spot on R510.
Guza and Frons did not understand the concept of an anti-hero, and the fact that they needed a morally righteous character to win sometimes. They were so protective of their pets Sonny and Jason that they allowed the whole moral dynamic of the show to skew into misogyny and darkness. And even fans knew Sonny and Jason would always win. Anti-heroes need opposition to work.
I know Guza had a hard-on for the Sopranos, but he didn't understand that Tony was not a hero. The show was a tragedy because Tony could have been a hero had he been born into a different family. You weren't supposed to think of him as morally right.
On Days, I've recently liked the scenes with Rafe confronting EJ because Galen can hold his own physically with James Scott and his character represents the "good" side of the fence. Rafe has gotten 1000x more engaging since dumping Sami. Plus the writers on days, despite their perpetual crush on EJ, allow him to suffer significantly for his crimes. He loses to the good guys now and then, so it's not tiresome.
I actually hope they do something fun with Mayor Elvis.
- [quote]Besides wishful thinking, what proof does anyone have regarding the sexuality of Chandler Massey?
I thought I saw a video in which he says he sings with the Gay Men's Chorus of LA.
[quote]Newbie here. I've only watched the Will/Sonny story online. Did Will actually shoot EJ?
- R514 I saw that video and I also saw LeAnn Rimes GMCLA video too. Cool!
- I guess he said he "stands with" GMCLA.
- [quote]I actually hope they do something fun with Mayor Elvis.
I keep waiting for Susan Banks to re-appear just to hear her shouting "That's mah baby! That's mah Elvis Junior!"
- I used to hate Rafe, but now I like him. Sami and EJ are Roger and Holly the next generation. Ali Sweeney is not the greatest actor in the world, but her scenes with EJ just smolder with subtext. You can tell all they want to do is fuck in almost every scene.
Here are my thoughts on GH/OLTL.
You fix a soap from within first. If your current canvas is lacking, then you rebuild using the show's history. Bring back Alan and AJ, say Helena has been holding them captive. Bring back Dylan and Sky. Make the Quartermaines your core family. Then you bring on other characters. The Mannings from OLTL, etc. and work them into the fabric of the show. Tell a story about Michael really being torn about his Quartermaine side and being raised by Sonny. Have Jason come to terms with who he really is and who he supposed to be.
Sonny and Jason aren't bad characters, they were just overplayed and in constant front burner storylines. Soaps work best with the ABC story method. A is front burner B is warming up C is simmering.
The B is front burner C is warming up and A is simmering. If a show is one character and one story all the time, of course fans are going to revolt.
- GH works best in an ensemble outfit, a multi-varied cast that works with one another. It really hasn't been that in a long time. And it is starving for light-hearted humour. It was probably the first soap to introduce humour into its stories. Gza destroyed it with his pessimism, bleakness and douchebaggery.
- I'd love it if, at some point in the long, hot summer, that EJ and Will get rip roaring drunk together and we're left to wonder if they had sex or not. Perhaps that could be the cliffhanger before NBC yanks the show to broadcast the Olympics?
- We'll need to come up with the next thread title soon. How about "What has Lisa Rinna done to her face this time?".
- Wow, looks like we'll need a new thread soon.
Patrick Muldoon and Lisa Rinna do not look young enough to be Lauren Koslow's children. Brian Datillo still looks kind of boyish, and he's probably only in his late thirties now.
I know Kate was supposed to have Billie and Austin when she was a teenager but not when she was eight.
- Love r521's suggestion. OP, if you are still here - it is a great title.
- Physically, Patrick Muldoon and Lisa Rinna look like they could be the children of Deborah Adair, but not Lauren Koslow.
Austin Peck, Kristi Allen and Julie Pinson (the two other Billie's) physically look like they could be the children of Koslow, but not Adair.
Interestingy, Datillo works well with both mothers.
- I'll see if I can find a recent picture of her and I will start a new thread with that title, R521 and R523.
- Bryan Datillo was born in 1971, which makes him 40. He has a great head of hair for a 40-year-old guy.
- What Lucas needs now is a Gaydar gun!
- R520, I want there to be a scene with Lucas, EJ, Rafe and Will like that. Lucas needs to walk in on his son being the wishbone that EJ and Rafe are pulling on!
- Preparing for a hot night with EJ?
- Let's just take a second to note, though, that Valentini and Carlivati have done their share of inflicting bad and boring characters on viewers. Way too many minutes of OLTL's final year of existence were wasted on Gigi, Aubrey, Cutter ("Cut-taahh!"), Vimal, and Rama.
- Are Valentini and Carlivati a couple? Frank is quite the looker.
- No r531. Ron is in a relationship with an unknown. Frank is rumoured to be involved with the guy who played Fish on the show. Scott, I can't think of his last name right now.
I don't think Frank is in a relationship with Scott Evans(that would be hot though!)
- R516, I wonder how Massey came to do that PSA/promo. Did GMCLA approach him or vice versa? GMCLA probably could have gotten a bigger celebrity for it. Oddly enough, Massey probably could have been the face of a PSA for a more prominent or high profile group. There must be some sort of connection somewhere. Also, Massey wore those same clothes for a photoshoot or interview he apparently did on the same day so maybe his PR guy earned his fee that day.
- "My theory is that Sonny is really the demon that possessed Marlena all those years ago. Think about it. We never saw what that demon looked like! Now the demon is out for revenge against Marlena so he is trying to turn her grandson gay. The writers have been hinting that Sonny is a demon for awhile now, I really believe this is the direction they will take this storyline. You heard it here first."
I love our very own Norma May Bates.
- Okay I had to LOL @ that one r535!!
- The demon wears Prada sneakers.
- Isn't it time to bring back Sami's twin Eric? Damn, I forgot she even had a twin. Of course Jensen A isn't available, how about Paul Courvoissier or whatever the fuck he's called? The one from OLTL?
- No, r538 - NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!
- JPL isn't old enough for the part is he? Isn't he like 22 or 23? Eric would have to by at least 30.
- [quote]JPL isn't old enough for the part is he? Isn't he like 22 or 23? Eric would have to by at least 30.
Isn't this the show where a character ages 10 years in a summer and dead people come back to life?
- JPL is only 24 or 24?! He looks older than that.
- R542, according to imdb, JPL turns 32 on Monday the 12th.
- Wow, he looks amazing for 32. I thought for sure he was in his early 20s. Great face.
- JPL has been 'acting' on soaps for over a decade. He's an old fart and he's old enough to play Eric Brady as badly as Allison Sweeney plays Sami.
- Keep him far away from the role of Eric Brady!
- [quote]GH works best in an ensemble outfit, a multi-varied cast that works with one another. It really hasn't been that in a long time.
I think the fact that the new GH opening shuffles around the actors is a strong sign that Ron and Frank are moving in that direction.
Maurice Bernard is no longer in lead position, sometimes he's in the middle, sometimes he's not included in the opening at all.
The only actor still in the same position in the opening is Tony Geary, who's still the final one.
- JPL might actualy work as Eric Brady if they played it as a gay uncle who comes to town and helps Will come out of the closet.
One of the original plans for the character of Eric Brady was to have him revealed to be gay, btw.
- I did not know that R548. I guess they are finally doing that plot, and very well, with Sami's son Will.
The younger set: Will, Sonny, Gabi, Chad, Melanie, Abby and the new guy who plays Celeste's son just did a photo shoot to promote the summer youth stories.
- Really R548? Under which head writer was Eric supposed to be gay? Jim Reilly or Tom Langan? Tom Langan gave us the living stereotype "Harold" during the Jack pretends to be gay storyline, so I am glad he didn't write any serious gay storyline involving Eric. Also, Jim Reilly during the 90's seemed more concerned telling archetypal "heightened reality" type storylines, so his take on a serious gay character might also have been out of place.
- It was James Reilly who imagined Eric being gay. The idea was nixed by the PTB.
- Looks like swollen lymph nodes to me. Freddie better get that looked into.
- Good stuff with Carrie-Austin-Abby today. I'm glad Carrie was quick to realize something was going on and was not willing to accept a misunderstanding. And they are not dragging it out for a six month time-filler. They are getting to the nitty gritty on a good paced story. Patrick Muldoon is doing pretty good as a grasping scumbag - Austin's need for Carrie is bordering on the obsession as well. Christie Clark played her scenes well.
Abby is tragically disullusioned in all this. The actress who plays her has gone beyond mere generic bubble-headed ingenue. Proves it's all in the writing.
Funny when Lisa "troutpout" Rinna is pleading for a comatose Bo to wake up and show him his smile so she knows everything is all right. However, she has done very well in her scenes. Again, it's all in the writing.
Nothing, however, can make any of this Alaimania crap remotely interesting. I find Drake and Kristian about as fascinating as paint drying. Does anyone care at all what John and Hope are doing?
- That "scream" scene between John and Hope was the campiest thing I've seen in a long, long time. It was mesmerizing.
The actress playing Abby is doing excellent at crazy and delusional. I even like Melanie in her friend role. I hope Melanie tries to get her help.
The Billie - stuff - I know they have to fill in background, but I was like "exposition much?" And I chortled when she screamed he's dying into the phone. Way to be helpful, Billie.
It was actually good, campy soap today.
- I care what John and Hope are doing strictly because I was probably the only person who enjoyed the Princess Gina storyline. Hope as Gina fucking John and Stefano was great fun.
When I found out what Jim Reilly's original Gina storyline was, I was sorry that he left before it was played out. It was more dramatic and soapy than Gina the Art Thief, but oh well. That is the way it goes.
- r555, what was the original storyline. i too LOVED the Princess Gina story it was one of my all time faves. I even loved the Coronation Bloodbath. Great times. I had no idea Reilly had a vision for Gina.
Greta Von Amberg
- The only way you could think John-Paul Seponski-Lavoisier looks 22 or 23 now is if you don't remember him when he actually WAS that age, and had the dewy glow of youth about him. I actually did find him pretty hot at that point.
- John Peter Seponski actually was pretty cute when he first came on the show but it was always hilarious that he was playing a ladykiller with his frosted tips and intensssse ssssibilants.
- JPL was cute and is still pretty handsome. He's dating Mimi from Days. She kept talking about his big floppy dick, which made me more interested in him.
Someone on one of the boards gave the details of the story way back when. Jim Reilly had Hope married and living abroad with a powerful man who only knew her as Gina. Hope was going to begin to have memory flashes. Then a child was going to show up at her door in Salem saying that Hope/Gina was their mother. Stefano kidnapped Hope/Gina from her husband and child. Hope is torn between two men and two families. You know the drill.
- How can they be doing the domestic, kitchen-table drama stuff so well at the same time that they have to have another of Stefano's schemes stinking up the place.
I mean, does ANYBODY give a shit about Alamania?
The Voice of the Night
- No, Voice - no one cares. Unless it is Stefano's last hurrah and they'll kill him Rasputin-style. Just beat his head in until it comes off. And don't burn the carcass - just eat it.
I want that character gone forever.
- Who is John Peter Seponski?
- Really good Blair-Carly interaction today.
Sonny and Todd, not so much. Drugged out Maurice Bernard makes every scene he's in excruciating to watch (is there anything or anyone who inspires him?!). But RH was great as usual.
- I wish I felt sorry for Maurice Bernard, but I don't. There's a new sheriff in town, one that can act.
Someone needs to start that Lisa Rinna thread.
The Austin/Carrie/Abby/Melanie scenes today were surprisingly watchable. The young actress playing Abby is bringing the insanity.
- DAYS and GH are improving and the ratings are rising. Meanwhile, Y&R is losing serious track. Could this mean hope for change in Y&R's regime soon? MAB has got to go.
- Tristan Rogers on his return to GH and the changes that are taking place:
"The vibe is a very positive one, which it hasn't been in a long time. Having people running the show that know what they're doing is a great energy booster. It remains to be seen whether this translates to the public.
I'm not going to sugarcoat the pill: The "General Hospital" audience has been baited and switched so many times over the last ten years. Now, they've got a confidence problem. Yes, this is going to be a whole lot better, but we need the public to give us a chance.
These guys have only had this show for a month and it takes at least that to make any change stick."
- R564, I have started a new thread in honor of Lisa Rinna and her increasingly artificial face.
- Kassie de Paiva posted this pic on her Facebook page. Looks like we haven't seen the last of Robert Scorpio and Robin is going to be alive after all.
- I don't know how you would come to either of those conclusions based on that photo, R568.
- I think r568 is saying the man with Cassie is Caesar Faison.
- Are Kassie and Kristen Alderson on contract, or just Roger?
The Voice of the Night
- Thanks, R570. And my apologies, R568.
- Because that's Faison, R569. If you don't know who that is, he's a super-villain and enemy of the Port Chucksters from way back when. The prevalent rumor is that he's holding Robin captive and that Robert and Anna will be going after him, just like the old days. You know there's always something up when a body is declared "burned beyond recognition." Either KM will come back when her career goes nowhere or they'll do a recast. Of course, she'll probably turn up right when Patrick finally moves on with his life and marries someone else.
- I'm finding very adorable how many people are defending Lisa Rinna's face and honor in the new thread!
- Lisa Rinna thread may not work for clandestine DL soap talk, Too many people know her from outside of soaps, so they're jumping in to contribute.
We might need to find another title. Perhaps "Bryan Datillo's long hair" or "I heart Kate Winograd."
- [quote]Lisa Rinna thread may not work for clandestine DL soap talk, Too many people know her from outside of soaps, so they're jumping in to contribute. We might need to find another title. Perhaps "Bryan Datillo's long hair" or "I heart Kate Winograd."
What about the Holden thread?
- What if we create a new thread to celebrate this week's opening of Sonny's coffee shop, Common Grounds?
- I think threads with character names get deleted pretty fast. It should probably be an actor's name.
What about a sequel to this one:
Freddie Smith's Carl's Jr. commercial?
- Not that I really care all that much, but why is it okay for Todd to takeover GH, but not for Sonny? A mobster versus a psychopathic rapist?
- Kristen Alderson is on contract, RH has just been signed to a full-time contract, and rumour is KdP, who was only for a short-term gig, will be soon.
- I agree - another Freddie Smith-subject title is a better choice in cointuing these discussions. He is unrecognizable a soap name to escape the radar.
- Mah contract specuhfihes that ah get to SANG once a month!
- New Freddie Smith thread: Freddie Smith's Improv Night
- R.579, shouldn't your question be more accurately worded:
but why is it okay for Todd to takeover GH, but not for Sonny? A mobster who can't act his way out of a paper bag versus a psychopathic rapist who is fascinating to watch, plays many levels, and is always entertaining?
- I wonder if rapists Todd and Luke will compare notes.
- Luis Fitzgerald-Lopez and Ethan Crane now reside in Salem and the city is none the worse. It even has a beautiful new town square where they squire their lady folk.
Port Charles is strong enough to handle an invasion of Mannings, even if they eventually bring along their special-needs child Jack.
- Like a raging hard on dripping precum somebody needs to finish this baby off.
- R586, they play different characters on [italic]Days[/italic]. Otherwise, point taken.
- [quote] I'd love it if, at some point in the long, hot summer, that EJ and Will get rip roaring drunk together and we're left to wonder if they had sex or not.
EJ was getting Will drunk on brandy and being very physical with him
I would love an EJ and Will hook-up, even for one night. Imagine Sami's reaction.
- This may have been previously mentioned (apologies for any duplication), but the actor (Nic Robuck?) that played the middle Ford brother on OLTL and was allegedly the boyfriend of some TV producer was on the SMG show Ringer last week. I just got caught up with the show this weekend and was surprised to see him.
Don't know how long his character will be around...but it might not matter because it sounds like there won't be a second season.
I wonder if his boyfriend/husband has anything to do with Ringer.
- The rating news is just getting worse, even for the juggernaut Y&R.
Women aged 18-49 aren't buying the current DOOL as it has now hit its lowest total viewers in that demo. GH ratings aren't looking any better either. Apparently not a lot of viewers are tuning in for the nostalgia value of all the old stars and OLTL carryovers.
- Even more women (aged 18 to 49) are bored silly with the current Days stories. The show has set another all time low rating in that demo.
GH continues to be the overall lowest rated in total viewers.
- [quote]Women aged 18-49 aren't buying the current DOOL as it has now hit its lowest total viewers in that demo.
They just need to give the Princess Gina storyline time to work.
The Voice of the Night