- He played gay 4 pay hooker on HUNG and had a recurring role on Queer As Folk.
So very gay friendly.
- No offense, but I can't support this project and you all know why.
- Because he is Canadian?
- He's a cutie, I'd watch him in anything.
- He was on the first season of "Dante's Cove." Then the show made plans to turn his character is gay, and the actor decided he wanted to pursue other projects. Therefore, the part was recast.
- He has played gay characters before Dante's and after, so it might have been the writing he didn't like.
- But is he as sexy as Justin Hartley?
- I'm too partial to Justin Hartley's Green Arrow. I only just caught up with Smallville's finale, so he's still fresh in my head. Oh, he's so beautiful.
When Col. Tigh was torturing him I was in heaven!
Anyway, I wish this new guy luck, but for now, the show isn't for me.
- So far the buzz on the show has been good.
What is also flying under the radar is this show is being launched by a gay actor. Stephen Amell isn't out, but he also isn't in at all. He even makes jokes all the time about how vague he has been about his sexuality.
[quote] There seems to be some debate about my sexual orientation, so I'd like to clear that up right now
[quote] In all seriousness, I'll happily declare my sexual orientation in public just as soon as there aren't dickheads in the world who think whatever I say in some way determines my worth as a human being.
It is very awesome to see an incredibly sexy glass-closeted actor anchoring this series. We definitely should support it.
- That hurts. Seth Rogen changed his entire lifestyle to land the role in the original. That the role is being outsourced to a Brit just adds insult to injury.
- R11: ummm...FYI: Seth Rogen played the Green HORNET, not the Green ARROW. For the record, I thought the casting of Seth Rogen in the role was goofy. He's not cute at ALL and the Green Hornet should be sexy as HELL (at least Van Williams was a HOTTIE...)
Kato (not Kaelin)
- r10. How very Teen Wolf promo gaybaiting tactic.
- Yeah as he explains in this AfterElton interview R5 that was because he had no faith in Dante's Cove, not that he had an issue being a gay character.
- So the Green Arrow is gay? Are you sure they're going to use the contemporary comic incarnation? I don't think my friends would go to see a gay super hero movie.
Also, are all these green superheros interelated by some outside green force?
- He was in Closing The Ring, with Academy Award winners Shirley MacLaine, Christopher Plummer and Brenda Bean Flicker, directed by Academy Award Winner Lord Sir Richard Attenborough, and he got his tits out in that too.
I'd like to open his ring.
- The character is straight, and it is based, somewhat loosely on the comic book Green Arrow. The apparent vibe of the show is toning down the superhero-ness, give it more of a Nolan-Batman vibe.
It is the lead actor's sexuality I was talking about. Those comments I quoted were taken directly from his official facebook page. I just thought it was very cool to see a lead heart-throb actor of a new show willing to make comments like that. Times are changing.
Here is a link of the preview. The show apparently also will have John Barrowman in a recurring role btw.
- Sorry but these CW comic book shows are wretched. No charm what-so-ever. Pointlessly violent and dark. No humor, and they go out of their way not to be gay-inclusive. No thanks.
- I'd say hiring a gay guy to be the hero is pretty damn gay-inclusive but I get what you mean.
- "That hurts. Seth Rogen changed his entire lifestyle to land the role in the original. That the role is being outsourced to a Brit just adds insult to injury."
There must be a second Green Arrow in production since Amell is from Toronto, Canada.
- People on imdb are saying he has a girlfriend. Some are even saying he's married. So.. which is it? is he marred? does he have a girlfriend, or is he gay? I honestly don't know.. I'm confused.
- He's handsome and has a great body...I'm glad it's someone different for a change. Ryan Reynolds can go go fuck off with his ugly face.
- I've never seen anything that says the guy is married, not sure where that rumor could come from.
Heterosexual people aren't purposely vague about their sexuality and don't make statements that they will talk about their sexuality when people won't judge them for it. I don't see whats the confusion, he has basically gone as far as you can to say you are gay without actually saying it.
- I agree, R23.. but people on imdb are saying he's with a girl in a lot of pics on his facebbok, they assumed she's his girlfriend. I haven't seen these pics, but it sounds suspicious that he has all these pics with only one woman. Sounds like a girlfriend to me. Someone also said he was married, but I doubt that's true, otherwise we'd heard about it. There might also be another option.. maybe he's bisexual, and the girl in the pics really is his girlfriend.. idk.
- People on imdb not believing an actor is gay...stop the presses! Tons of straight people will chose not to believe someone is gay in spite of all evidence. I mean Zachary Quinto and Matt Bomer still shocked a lot of people, there are dumbasses who actually think Colton Haynes is straight.
To me his own words are pretty clear, he might be bisexual but he certainly isn't heterosexual.
- If he is GAY, I'm sorry he shouldn't have taken the GREEN ARROW role in the first place. I hate it when actors do that. Why do you have to take the straightest characters' roles for, I want to bash my head. Its not right, you ruin the fantasy of so many fans/viewers and in the end you kill the show. It just becomes a bloody joke when a gay man is pretending to be the straightest playboy ever.
So please actors don't do this. Im looking a you Neil Patrick Harris, Matt Bomer. Some may call me a bigot but whatever, for the show's sake if this is the case, the show isnt going to go far. I dont care for his sexuality thats his business, but when you take the straightest character's role I love It becomes my bloody business.I know he talked about having a girlfriend sometime in 2010, hopefully she isnt just a beard
- Why does it have to be married "or" a girlfriend? Some of us have both!
- Body shmody - I used to be entirely below the chin, but they all have great nods now. His is spectacular all right, but it's the face and eyes that make him a very real replacement for about 75% of today's hottest male leads. Can he act? At all?
- They captured lightening in a bottle on Hung with him. His character was so appealing. He was sexy, vulnerable, appealing and played the dim witted underdog very well.
- Stephen and his costar Colin Donnell are very flirty.
- Exactly R26, and they need to cast real murderers to play serial killers. I hate it when they have the most depraved roles ever and it goes to some actor who isn't actually crazy. Ruins the fantasy and the show!
[quote]In all seriousness, I'll happily declare my sexual orientation in public just as soon as there aren't dickheads in the world who think whatever I say in some way determines my worth...
Too bad the real meaning of the quote slipped by you. You are doing exactly what he is talking about him, judging him based on that.
Maybe you should actually wait and see his performance? If you buy his Oliver Queen as straight then why do you care what Stephen Amell does in his private life?
And considering that both Matt Bomer's and NPH shows are very successful your point is pretty baseless. Luckily it seems most audience members aren't as mindlessly bigoted as you are.
- This man is hot, hot, hot!
I will watch the show just to see him.
Hopefully, it's better than White Collar.
- I guarantee this man is not gay...I'm speaking from personal experiences... even still a man or woman's sexual orientation doesn't defy them, when its all in good fun...but guys, if he in fact is open to experiment...you're damn lucky because is is one sexy bitch!
- There's no channel 11/CW in NY...
- I am pretty sure he is married but if he wanted to make all of these issues public...he would!
- Anyone see photos of his feets?
- So are you claiming to be a women who has hooked up with him R33? If so more details are a must!
I completely can believe he isn't gay, honestly I assume bisexual. He is very good friends with Jonathan Bennett who is bisexual.
He has made comments like
[quote]Hey Straight Guys: I'd avoid a definitive proclamation on your sexual orientation until after you look Rob Lowe directly in the eyes.
[quote] I don't need affirmation that it's my business, I actually enjoy being publicly ambivalent because it allows me to stand up for everyone.
They seem rather bisexual things to say, hopefully he isn't just a gay baiting straight guy.
- [quote]I am pretty sure he is married but if he wanted to make all of these issues public...he would!
Where does this married thing come from? He has never mentioned on twitter or in any interview that I have seen he is married and if you follow him based on pictures of events he goes to or people he posts pics of on twitter there is no indication of a wife.
- I've trolled through his FB pages. I think he's the real deal. Genuine, funny and self-deprecating.
I totally want to bone him.
- Sounds good, R39. Hopefully he's family too. I'm definitely looking forward to Arrow. Seems like a good show and they did right casting this hunk in the role!
- Why wasn't the guy with the yellow skin offered the role?
- When does this air?
- I think you reposted my response to whether or not you're married...well I would hate for you...such a good guy, to be blasted with all this personal interrogation while you're in your moment to shine... you've come a long way from singing Johnny Cash way up north in lil ol Toronto...congrats...its no surprise you're the next IT guy...you're georgeus, funny and definitely a hard worker...don't forget about us regular folk lol! Peace
- It's going to be the lead-in for Supernatural starting Wednesday October 10th. I'll give it a look.
- Because of the appeal of Amell, I'm now on board with this show too. I don't know the first thing about Green Arrow so I'm hoping the show isn't awful. Amell was very funny and flirty (including with John Barrowman) when he was at Comic-Con.
- Most of the other new shows this fall has been underwhelming.
So I'm looking forward to this starting this Wednesday. Fingers crossed that this will be good.
- Finally starts tonight. The DVR is set.
Some of the other fall shows I was hoping to like have been disappointing (Revolution and 666 Park Avenue are the ones that comes to mind) so I'd like for Arrow one to be engaging.
Stephen Amell being shirtless a lot will keep me watching for a couple of episodes, but if the story sucks, even his hot bod won't be able to keep me interested long term.
- So he's going to have bumpy scars on his chest? Are they going to keep up the makeup every time he takes off his shirt? It looks gross.
- I don't know a lot about the story, r48, but from what I read there will be a lot of flashbacks in the show - and not just in the first episode.
The interview with Stephen Amell (this might have been in EW magazine, but I can't remember now) said something about how the character is stranded on some deserted island for many years and it's while he's there that he learns or acquires his superhero abilities...or whatever.
Anyway, Amell said that because of how long the character is stuck on that island, he thinks Arrow is the only superhero that can sustain 10 seasons of origin flashbacks...or something like that.
My point is, he may have those unsightly scars in current time, but he probably wouldn't be so marked up during all the flashbacks where I assume he will also be shirt-free. But I'm sort of just talking out of my ass here.
- They should have kept the continuity and had Jeremy Renner play him here. What, is Renner too good to do TV now?
- r50 Get your comics companies straight.
Jeremy Renner played Hawkeye, the Marvel equivalent of DC's Green Arrow.
- Anybody watch it yet that can offer up some opinions? I've got it recorded, but probably won't get to see it until this weekend.
Hopefully people have positive things to say.
- It was full of action, he was barefoot for a bit so you got to see his feets, very dark, soap opera-ish and fun. And Liza's purse and 40 yards of chiffon and poodles fell out of his mouth every time he spoke.
- People want to see Green Arrow?
- I'm someone who tried Smallville and except for one season (one of the last ...), couldn't really get into it.
I thoroughly enjoyed this show last night. Yeah, the acting can be a bit sketchy at moments, but I really like the way they took the Green Arrow mythology and reworked it - making nods (future stories?) to some things, completely twisting others. Attractive cast, nice twists, lots of action.
I'm on board for while, and I was doubtful when I first heard about the show.
- Did you see Colin Donnell's feets, too?
- Was John Barrowman on the premier at all? I like this interview where he talks about how hot Stephen Amell's body is and how he wants it in his contract that he is nude in any scene they have together. I'm sure those boys had a lot of mutual flirting when working together.
All I know is Amell's nipples on that promotional poster are fantastic. I hope that's not just thanks to photoshop.
- Some good news for the show. The premier episode was the highest rated program of any type on the CW in the past 3 years.
- So it was good? I might go see it this weekend but my friend wants to watch 7 Cycle Paths. And after the disaster that is Green Lantern it would be hard to convince him to watch another green superhero.
- umm.. R59, you know it's a tv show right? just asking, because it doesn't sound like it..
And yes, it was good. It obviously isn't perfect.. but it left me intrigued and I want to see more.
- Surprisingly good and surprisingly high production value for a show on CW. A great deal of focus on action. I don't know why, but I can't stand Katie Cassidy (I guess because of the horrid Freddie Krueger Nightmare on Elm Street remake) and she's the female lead in this one. I find the basic story plot a bit tedious and it rips off Revenge (shallow playboy gets stranded on some deadly island and now is a good guy who fights against bad guys - which he crosses off a list from his island diary - with a hoodie and a painted on mask?). But neverless the lead does sell the show to me.
- The original Green Arrow was a poor imitation of Batman, with Speedy instead of Robin and with trick arrows instead of an utility belt. At least this Arrow has some originality.
- His ginger beard is laughable.
- Caught the pilot on Hulu. Enjoyable, and I'll tune in to future episodes to see if they can keep it up - it is very reminiscent of Nolan's Batman and "Revenge", and less super-hero cheese than something like Green Lantern.
Stephen Amell makes good eye-candy (especially the work-out sequence where he does those pull-ups up the ladder/rack... wow), but he also puts out a certain sweetness / goodness which works for the character. Some of his voice-overs are a little stiff and cheesy though. I also thought the Tommy Merlyn character was interesting - not quite sure if he's going to be a thoughtless playboy, a confidant, a bad-ass ally, a rival, or some combination of all the above.
And for all the confusion going on in this thread. There's:
- Green Hornet (originally a radio/TV character from the 30's, also in comics, most recently a movie with Seth Rogen)
- Green Lantern (DC Comics superhero who wears a magic ring, most recently a movie with Ryan Reynolds)
- Hawkeye (Marvel Comics character who's also an archer, most recently played by Jeremy Renner in the Avengers)
- Arrow (this show on the CW, based off DC Comics' Green Arrow)
- It was horrible, so awful, the cheesiest show ever. The only reason to watch is for the eye candy of the main character so I don't know what the incentive is for straight boys to watch. The ending of him looking out to the city vowing to right its wrongs is so laughable.
- It is so unrealistic that a guy with no superpowers can just dodge bullets left and right without ever getting hit and without him ever thinking that it's a possibility that he could be hit. He thinks he's invincible with just a hood. And the green paint and hair dye is ridiculous.
- R66, welcome to comic book characters. I mean, take it up with Batman (who technically has no superpowers) - the guy runs around in a bat mask and a cape and dodges bullets left and right.
I will say, the most ridiculous costume on the show is Oliver's fake hair in the flashbacks... such a bad wig.
- Arrow wouldn't have been my first choice for a Smallville followup, but I'll take it. There were going to do a Dick Grayson show at one point, but it didn't pan out.
- [quote]It is so unrealistic that a guy with no superpowers can just dodge bullets left and right without ever getting hit and without him ever thinking that it's a possibility that he could be hit.
Supposedly, Yezhov, head of the NKVD (Soviet spy agency), having been arrested, was held in a jail cell. A killer standing outside the cell fired a gun through the bars at fairly close range. Yezhov dodged several bullets, moving right and left before he was finally hit.
Of course, this might be part of his legend, being renowned as an evil, sadistic killer and Stalin's henchman.
- [quote]I mean, take it up with Batman (who technically has no superpowers) - the guy runs around in a bat mask and a cape and dodges bullets left and right.
But Batman wears a bulletproof costume. In all the movies, he gets shot straight on and the bullets bounce off him. The Green Arrow just wears a piece of terry cloth as a hood. It's not bulletproof.
- Yes please!
- He looks completely different then. Was it because of the baby fat? He looks so much better now without the chubbiness.
- Only on DL -- ONLY -- would anyone ever call someone "fat" based on R71's photo.
Btw Stephen is straight. Sorry, bitches.
"Did you ever date a student?
Yes, I did.
Did she hit on you or did you hit on her?
I probably hit on her because I was the instructor. You can walk by the bike and you can pay special attention to a student. You know, I was young. I was in my early twenties. One of my ex-girlfriends I definitely met in a spin class, and a girlfriend that I had was an instructor of mine before I started teaching.
What does a girl have to do these days to get your attention?
I just like someone that can have regular conversation. It’s fun to meet people that have no idea what you do. This is actually a litmus test for me—sometimes I’ll meet an actress in the industry and she and I will talk for a minute, and then I always make a point, if we haven’t introduced ourselves, to ask her what she does and see how she reacts to that. If she gets her back up, then the conversation is over.
You can read someone’s energy.
I think so. I also like girls without a ton of makeup. A girl just relaxed in jeans.
A simple T-shirt and jeans does it for you?
Yeah, because I like to know what a woman looks like when she’s just dressing for herself and she’s comfortable. Very few women are in their natural element when they’re dressed for the red carpet or a gala. Their element is how they look on a Sunday afternoon or a Saturday morning, and just out doing their thing."
- Finally watched it on the DVR... I really liked it. Way more than I thought I would.
And here's an interesting write-up on it (see link)... though I should admit I know nothing about the comic, and so didn't get any of the references the review makes mention of.
Sure hope nobody accuses me of 'shiling' because I linked to a site...
- [quote]Btw Stephen is straight. Sorry, bitches.
And, yet, not a single photo with a girlfriend or date on his Facebook pages or publicity photos.
She must be one of those shy, retiring types.
- He is such a queen.
- I liked Oliver, the male friend who I assume will become a baddie and his sister.
I was disappointed that Katie Cassidy was in this one. Seriously, is her famous dad involved with someone from CW? This girl has been bringing down shows since she appeared in Season 3 of Supernatural as the annoying Ruby. Every year she's in a different pilot/series that goes nowhere and she gets rehired for another show.
KC's character becomes a superhero in fishnets based on the comics. It will be like having to deal with Lana Lang from Smallville. Oh well, nothing to be done but FF her scenes.
- Just watched it
The pilot looked great, but pilots often do because they spend a little more money and put in some extra effort to sell their show. Hopefully it will maintain the 'expensive' look.
The story seems pretty interesting, or at least they way they are keeping so much a mystery has me intrigued. Since I'm not familiar with the comic at all, I'll be curious to learn about what happened to Queen on the island.
I like the girl that plays his little sister. I don't care so much for the guy that plays his buddy (and future nemesis?).
And the Katie Cassidy that is getting grief in other posts on here - I don't think I've seen her in anything else (never watched Smallville) but she seemed OK as an actress. She's not very pretty so I'm assuming she doesn't get her roles based on looks. Maybe r77 is right.
The main reason I watched was because I became curious about Stephen Amell starting with his Comic-con appearance this summer. He's very nice looking and so far seems to be a capable enough actor to play mysterious and brooding adequately.
For now there was enough to like that I finally have a CW show programmed on my DVR.
- I just watched it on hulu and enjoyed it. Nothing earth shattering but it was a lot of fun. That wig that had him in during the flashbacks was horrid tho, seriously distracting bad.
I am intrigued enough to want to keep watching, it is a bit of an obvious Nolan Batman/Revenge hybrid but that is A-ok with me.
Curious to see how it will go once they continue the comic book legacy and there are tons of caped crusaders running, how that will change the tone of the show.
[quote]Btw Stephen is straight. Sorry, bitches.
Liking girls does not mean someone is straight, I have no idea what Stephen Amell's sexuality is, he chose not to say himself, but what about that interview precludes him being bisexual?
- Is the police detective forbidden to comb his hair?
- That and the constant stubble are the easy way to make it seem like he's so concerned with crime in his city and catching the new mysterious hooded figure that he can't be bothered with keeping up his appearance, r80.
Pics of John Barrowman as he'll appear when his episodes start airing in November. I'd like to have been a fly on the wall for the behind the scenes flirting between Barrowman and Amell.
- So this show is about pensions and businessmen? So boring. 2 Broke Girls already did this premise to death.
- Caught the second episode and continue to enjoy it. Still not sure where they're going to take Tommmy Merlyn's character (in the comics he's apparently a superpowered arch-rival, but the show seems to be avoiding the "superpower" route for now).
Was it just me, or did Oliver's younger sister (Thea?) lapse into a "Joisey" / Soprano's accent when she was talking to him in front of the graves? It was a little weird, since the family's supposed to be so WASPy.
Not sure that I see much chemistry between Oliver and the Katie Cassidy character (Laurel?) - at the moment, she's a bit too shrill and he's a bit too meek around her.
I'm liking the bodyguard and the relationship he's beginning to develop with Oliver. And I'm interested to see what was on the island.
- Just finished the second episode, it is playing a little too much like the tv show Revenge for my tastes. I'm going to stick with it, but I think "Smallville's" version of Oliver has sort of tainted this version for me.
- Just caught up with the new episode. Yahoo for John Barrowman showing up. Looks like he plays a baddie which could be fun.
I'm glad Oliver finally revealed himself to someone - the bodyguard. And it seemed like maybe Laurel figured out who he is during the prison riot, but maybe not.
Why would the mom have that secret warehouse with the wreckage of the boat hidden there?
- Ben Browder is joining the cast later this season. I haven't seen him on anything recently, but I have always really thought he's hot.
- I'm impressed with the pacing of the show and how quickly they're moving through plot developments that would drag out over an entire season (or two or three) on other shows - Walter discovering the boat and deciding to leave, Oliver being identified and arrested as the Green Arrow, bodyguard discovering his secret, etc.
Still not feeling the relationship between Oliver and Laurel - he's always so guilty and sad around her with his puppy dog eyes, and can never relax and have fun around her because he knows he's lying to her, so it's hard to figure out why he still carries a torch - but after seeing her kick ass at the prison, I can see why they chose the actress. I'm beginning to like her character more, just not as a love interest.
"The island" backstory is actually getting to be pretty interesting too. Hope they can keep up the pace.
- I wonder where they are going with the female technician? She popped up a couple of times now and always acts socially awkward while delivering the results.
I also wonder if the show will ever address how the lead applies the mask make up on his face?
- I love the little snippets of DC Comics lore that pop up in this: mentions of Bludhaven, Felicity Smoak (who, in the comics, was Firestorm's stepmother), obscure characters like China White, etc. Every episode there's been at least one throwaway line or character name that's a DC easter egg.
- Anyone else hear that Stephen Amell is into crossdressing?
Not Eddie Murphy
- Thanks, R86. Browder's ass is reason enough to watch the show.
- More potentially interesting casting announced.
Colton Haynes (who quit MTV's Teen Wolf) has been cast as Roy Harper (aka Speedy).
Colton is one of those actors that has developed a cult-like following here on DL. I don't know if this is good or bad for the show.
- Last week Stephen tweeted that the National Post featured him as one of their 'Worthy 30' against his wishes.
He gave 3 reasons he didn't like that they did it.
1) He asked them not to.
2) He refused the request to do an interview.
3) He isn't single.
Of course I'm most curious about that last item. Anyone know who he might be involved with that takes him off the market?
- I saw that and wondered the same thing R93, he hasn't been pictured with a significant other or ever tweets or anything about her/him. Whatever the deal is he is obviously keeping it very underground. When he was on "Hung" he went to social events with Jonathan Bennett as his plus one.
- Reports from Toronto say he and Colin Donnell are thisclose offset.
Check out the first image when you google image search Amell and Colin....
- Here's the photo I was referring to
- Sorry - here's a good link to the photo I refer to.
Seems it was originally posted by Amell on his twitter and tumblr, but has since been taken down...
- My goodness! That pic is giving me the vapors!
- I thought Colin was supposed to be straight.
- At the start of the season Colin had been posting alot of pics of he and Stephen and posting pictures of himself at Stephen's place. I think he finally eased up when he realized fangirls weren't going to turn Tommy and Oliver or he and Stephen into the next shipping pair.
- I thought the same thing, I think they were trying to bait the slash fangirls when the show started but it just never really took off.
So I take it some people on the DL been watching the show? I thought it got better as it went on. The less it revolved around Oliver/Laurel and the more it became an ensemble show the stronger it got IMO.
- CW isn't officially on the homoerotic slash fic bandwagon.
They pretty much ignored the whole Wincest craze except mentioning it in an episode dealing with an alternative universe where the two brothers are ... actors in a show called Supernatural and do some research about the show and the fans it has.
Also no encouragement from Chace and 'Chuck Bass' Ed Westwick from Gossip Girl being roommates for, like, forever in the early seasons of the show.
Only MTV's Teen Wolf cast and creator are really heavy on embracing the whole slash fic thing for PR purposes.
- It is a great show, but there is some dialogue where you know he wants to say, "gurl" at the end of the sentence. It seems like it would be so natural.
- When Colin was on Broadway in "Anything Goes", both men and women were the lucky recipients of his big cock.
I guess now only Green Arrow gets that shaft.
- R102, why on earth SHOULD a network support any kind of slashfic written by obsessive fangurls?? It's just fucking BIZARRE, period.
- It's a weird show, since Green Arrow's MO (trick arrows) is so impractical, and because he also has about the weakest rogues' gallery of any DC comic book hero (though fortunately for the tone of this show very few of his villains have superpowers and are more hand-to-hand combatants or archers). I still can't get used to the hange from "Star City" to "Starling City"--I wonder why they made it.
The other change they made was to move him from being a rich orphan (like Batman) to having a billionaire living family--it makes the civilian life side of the show more like "Revenge" or "Gossip Girl."
- Umm R105, slash fangirls are often an obsessive and active group of fans that are good for PR. The "Sterek" fangirls are the best thing that ever happened to Teen Wolf have been huge in terms of its online profile and thus spreading the brand.
They don't have the rights to Batman which they would want to do so Green Arrow was the next best thing ( he has always been a bit of a Batman knockoff). The changes I think they made are smart, the family dynamic opens up a lot more storyline possibilities than him being an orphan and attacking corrupt rich people a la Revenge is "hot" right now.
- Colton Haynes AND Ben Bowder?!? Are they trying to make my crotch explode?!?
Jesus, the man candy...
- [quote]The "Sterek" fangirls are the best thing that ever happened to Teen Wolf have been huge in terms of its online profile and thus spreading the brand.
Please. A TINY fraction of its fan base is into slash.
- [quote]I still can't get used to the hange from "Star City" to "Starling City"--I wonder why they made it.
Maybe that was its original name in the comics? The only other reason I can think of is to further differentiate it with "Smallville," since the Oliver Queen on it was from Star City.
- R109= moron who has no idea how many straight girls are into it.
- R109 straight fangirls shipping male characters with each other is most of the reason that show is still around.
- Green Arrow did not become a major DC super hero until the 1970s. When the Justice League was created Green Arrow was left out, even though he had his own feature at the time. Only later was GA allowed into the Justice League.
- R110, The change from Star City to Starling was because the producers felt Star City felt too outlandish a name (though a guy who decides to don green leather and take on rich fat cats isn't) so to ground it in the reality of the show they changed it to Starling.
- I was at the Century City Center a few weeks ago. There were hundreds of posters and billboards of Steven Amell as Green Arrow everwhere. I couldn't believe how much they were pushing the show. I'm also seeing posters all over town and on buses. In 20 years, I've never seen the industry push a T.V. show more in L.A. I'm glad, as Stephen is one of the truly down to earth good guys. He deserves the success that is coming his way.
- Given that Green Arrow joined the Justice League in issue #4 (April 1961) he is close to an original member and was big before the 70's.
- The show is very poorly written. They should have bought a Canadian writer instead of a Canadian actor.
- It is a live action comic book show not "The Wire". I mean compared to the writing on Smallville this show is doing well for itself.
[quote]I couldn't believe how much they were pushing the show. I'm also seeing posters all over town and on buses
The CW did push this show HARD. It paid off for the though the ratings have been great by their standards. Glad to hear your opinion of Amell, I don't really have the highest opinion of his acting abilities whenever I see interviews with him he does come off as a genuine guy who feels truly lucky and happy to have the job he does.
- And he has a big cock!
- No he doesn't, but those abs are pretty damn sick
- Henry. And. Stephen. Can't. Breathe.
- Amell is hot but the costume designer needs to be replaced.
The clothes he wears make him look short and stocky, his suits are ugly, and they don't flatter his body enough.
- Amell is possibly getting married today?
His most recent tweet says something about how great his year has been and he's off to do something to make it even better. That could mean almost anything, but when you see a story like the attached, it makes me wonder.
- Caught up on the most recent episodes - while Helena was an interesting addition, and definitely a better counter-point than Laurel has been, ultimately I just couldn't buy her character motivations - "they killed my fiancee, so now I'm going to kill dozens of people, including innocents." Just a bit too psycho to be a convincing love interest (not that Green Arrow's justifications are necessarily that much better).
The episode before the most recent one was just a bit too heavy on the relationship drama (Tommy and Laurel, vs. Oliver and Helena), and I heard some grumbles from the straight comic geek crowd that the show was getting "too CW" for their tastes. But the most recent episode thankfully eased off it a bit.
And on the earlier discussion of slash fandom at R102 and R105 - slash fans are of course only a (vocal) minority of any show's total viewerbase, but they often help promote the show to friends and casual viewers and build word of mouth, and are much more likely to buy merchandise and DVD's, attend conventions, and show their support in other ways that help shows' popularity (similarly to how the niche straight male "geek" fandom helps promote blockbuster superhero or fantasy movies).
And slash fans of one show often belong to more than one fandom and bring in fans (and different demographics - especially women) from other shows - they've certainly brought more attention to Teen Wolf from the other major slash fandoms out there (Supernatural, Sherlock, Merlin, etc.)
- No word in the press about Amell's marriage, R123.
And the link doesn't say if he's marrying a man or a woman. Wouldn't it just be too much if he married a man - but then, he could have done that in Canada. There is no marriage equality in Puerto Rico...
- Sorry to break the news, but he just got married to a woman.
He's straight after all.
- What a waste.
- R127 I agree. My crush is over. No fun to crush on straight people, especially married ones.
- I wonder if Amell put a ring on it when he did because he wanted a reason to resist the ever increasing temptations on his show. The former Teen Wolf star Colton Haynes reported to the Arrow set this month.
- Never mind. From that wedding photo at the link, he has a wonky eye. So unattractive, it's a dealbreaker.
- I'm a couple or episodes behind on the show right now, so I'm not sure if either Ben Browder or Colton Haynes have shown up yet.
Amell tweeted that he'll be doing press in New York next Tuesday including a visit to Live with Kelly & Michael. Maybe that will be the first time he talks about getting married on Christmas.
I'm hoping he does Watch What Happens Live with Andy Cohen too. That seems like a show that he'd be comfortable on.
- But with both their wonky eyes, R131, how would they know where to look, or who's talking to whom?
- No sign of Colton yet... anyone know when he's supposed to make his debut?
- I have a wonky eye too, so we'd be great together! Just have to get rid of that wife...
- I don't think he's that great of an actor and "Arrow" is boring, but I watched just because he was cute. Now that he's married, I've lost interest and won't bother watching anymore. (Hey, if straight fangurls can stop being a fan over a gay actor when they come out, then I can stop being a fan when I find out an actor is straight and married.)
- It's a sham/beard marriage. The WB wants its male stars to be straight - just ask the Supernatural boys....
- Are the marriages still considered shams when they start having and raising children with their beards? That kind of sounds like your standard heterosexual family to me.
- [quote]Are the marriages still considered shams when they start having and raising children with their beards? That kind of sounds like your standard heterosexual family to me.
Are you sure about that?
- They sure didn't talk about much during the Live with Kelly & Michael show this morning. They didn't ask anything about his recent marriage, but he was wearing a wedding ring. It was kind of lame.
What other shows is he doing? He said it was a NYC press day, but that's the only program I've seen him scheduled for.
- Each episode of Arrow begins with a shirtless workout scene. It's in the contract.
- r33, WPIX-11 has been the Metro New York affiliate since the CW Network began in 2006.
- And the pre-arranged photo ops where the newlyweds pretend to be suprised seeing the cameras while out and about begins...
Same old story
- Still no sign of Colton Haynes...
- Amell posted some Twitter comments on the Chris Culliver (49ers cornerback who doesn't want any gays on his team) controversy this week.
[quote]I mean... Chris Culliver's probably gay, right? Good for him!!
[quote]His comments had a distinctive, "Rafael Palmeiro pointing his finger at congress for no reason whatsoever" kinda feel to them.
[quote]Either way... An active player in the NFL should take this opportunity to come out of the closet and publicly shame him. Moron.
He also apparently watched the Super Bowl at a party with Colton Haynes.
- A picture of Amell and Haynes:
- R145 LMAO at Colton trying to look butch, yet he forgot to take off the eyeliner!
- Colton and Amell together - no wife in sight.
You bet this was a CW-arranged beard marriage.
- Aren't any of friends with straight men? I don't know whether Amell is straight or gay, but I don't understand proclaiming him as gay and his marriage a sham just because he has a gay friend.
- Where's his gal pal Colin Donnell?
- Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Green Hornet.
- R149, doing impromptu song and dance numbers with John Barrowman to entertain the crew.
- The likeliest scenario is that Colin is jealous that Colton has taken his bro place in Stephen's heart, so he's cozying up to Barrowman as revenge.
- Are you retarded, R148? He did everything but come out on his own facebook page, people took that as him being gay, or at the very least bi. I'm going with bi, since his facebook page did include some pics with women. But what he's not is straight. So no.. he's not gay because he's hanging out with gay guys, this time we actually have a good reason to label him gay.
- What did Amell say at his Facebook page, r153?
- He was fucking with fans. He was not on the verge of coming out. He merely adopted the position that his relationship and his straightness was his business and no one else's.
- whatever makes you feel better, R155... but no.
- I love it that every time he gets into the hood as Arrow, he suddenly has that smoky eye makeup on to go with his scruff, and his voice drops an octave. So no one recognizes him. Oh, puh-leeze! MARY!
- That's Manu Bennett ... and it's actually spelled Crixus
He also plays "Azog" in the Hobbit movies.
- Arrow gets early renewal.
- Any report on Colton Haynes appearance in the episode tonight? I am a couple of episodes behind so I won't see it for a while.
- R161 Nope. I quit watching this shitty show after Stephen got married. Even though I thought it sucked, I watched it for Stephen, but now that he's married the fantasy is gone. I figure if straight women can lose interest when they find out an actor is gay, then I can lose interest when I find out an actor is straight!
- What about watching it for Collin Donnell. Perhaps he's gay.
- No "perhaps" about it, R163.
And there's out gay John Barrowman as his father...
- One thing is for sure: Stephen dances (if you can call it that) like a white guy...
- Colin Donnell is supposedly straight.
- I was hoping Ben Browder would be in more episodes - even though he looked less hot than the last time I saw him in anything.
- R165 great video of Stephen dancing front and center with his pants undone and his black CK boxerbriefs exposed to the world.
- R167, what did Browder's ass look like?
- I wonder when the DL weight brigade will start to pounce on Stephen as his body will not hold extra weight very well.
Stephen posted a pic of himself with Colton on set from earlier today.
- [quote]what did Browder's ass look like?
Unknown r169. They didn't film his scenes in any way that we could get a good look at his bod. The costume they gave him only helped to cover him up more.
But overall he definitely looked wider and softer than the Farscape and Stargate days. I'm sure his previously luscious ass is now thicker and doughier.
- Are they fucking, R170?
- Stephen is hot. Colin is hot. Colton is hot. The black dude aint bad too look at. I all goes in the spank bank.
- Colin is a straight Arrow!
- I'm seriously shocked that Amell is apparently straight. (I'm assuming that due to taking the POV that a guy of his generation is unlikely to actually go the whole hog and get married to prove "straightness" as opposed to just bearding, which obviously many still do.) I saw an interview with him as himself the other day (talking about his show), and he pinged to high heaven.
- R175 I know, I can't believe it either. I swore he was gay because he is always talking about gay stuff on Twitter. For example, I remember last summer he was even talking about how he was excited about going to Pride and during the Super Bowl, he was going off on those players from the 49'ers who had said anti-gay things.
If he really is straight, then he's one hell of an ally.
- I'd never seen that Colton Haynes act before this. He's no Daniel Day Lewis, but he sure seems like a more expressive and less stiff actor than Steven Amell. It seems kind of risky to cast an actor for the sidekick role that the audience might like more than the lead.
Even Steven's brother Robbie seems much more comfortable on screen (on that sort of awful 1600 Penn show) than his older brother.
- I don't watch the show so I don't know for sure but it looks like Stephen's body is less muscular and less defined than it was a year ago when promo pics came out for the first season.
- [quote]Even Steven's brother Robbie seems much more comfortable on screen (on that sort of awful 1600 Penn show) than his older brother.
I've seen a lot of articles referring to Robbie as Stephen's brother, but they're cousins.
Robbie has his own potential CW show: he was cast in the pilot for their remake of "The Tomorrow People"
I'm trying to adapt to Stephen. His stiff delivery doesn't bother me as much as his stumpy build.
- Good that Robbie's finding more work, since 1600 PENN is cancelled.
I agree, R179, Stephen looks so stumpy (esp. when he's not in his Arrow costume) - you'd think they could photograph him better (not to mention dress him better). I do love his smoky eye, however...
- [quote]I've seen a lot of articles referring to Robbie as Stephen's brother, but they're cousins.
Thanks for the correction, r179. I must have gotten the idea they are brothers from reading some of that misinformation.
- "I've seen a lot of articles referring to Robbie as Stephen's brother, but they're cousins."
Delightful! Now I don't have to feel immoral when I fantasize about them sucking each other's huge tits.
- Was there a new episode of Arrow on tonight?
There's nothing on my DVR...
- Yes, you missed it.
It was fantastic!
Another person learned of Ollie's secret.
- Fuck! I wonder why my DVR didn't record it? In fact, I remember getting home late and seeing the record light on... but ... there's nothing there now.
Dammit. I hope I can watch it online...
- The cop played by Janina Gavankar is also a singer! I was skimming Imdb news section for Arrow and came across it by chance. Her song is called, "Waiting for Godot" (a play by the same title reveals it's about two people who endlessly wait for a person named "Godot"). Beautiful song! nice visuals!
- R186 She sounds lovely! Thanks
- R162, I feel the same way you do about Stephen. I thought he was gay as well due to the amount of pro-gay tweets, so when I found out that not only is he not gay but that he's married, I was crushed. Not that I would've had a chance with him if he was gay, but a guy can dream, can't he?
- Is this anything like the current comic?
- R185, there are tons of links to watch or download. Google is your friend.
- Isn't the point of having a secret identity keeping it, you know, SECRET? How many people is Ollie going to tell?
- At this point Oliver might as well reveal his identity to his facebook friends.
- How many men look that good with obvious (but well done) eye makeup?
- When I saw the recap at the beginning of the latest episode I thought at first that I missed an episode or two. What was the deal about Malcolm having an alter ego as well (black arrow)? Was that the attempt to frame the Vigilante for something? And then at the end it's about John and the hired killer having a past (the guy killed John's brother) was that part of a story in a previous episode?
- Cool to see Alex Kingston on TV again.
- Yeah, for a quick second when I read Alex Kingston's name in the credits I was hoping for her to greet John Barrowman's character with 'hello sweety!'.
- R193 Ditto! He looks hot!
- Melody Pond.
- It's just an absolutely horrible show, other than the eye candy. Stephen is a terrible actor. I thought he was very brave, with that announcement on his Facebook page in which virtually outed himself. Then, suddenly, he's just gotten married to a contestant on that stupid model show. I mean, he could give Luke Evans lessons. I still don't understand the point to it. None of his fans cared that he was gay, they all reacted well to his hint about being gay. So what's the point?
- R199 Perhaps he has close friends who are gay so he was showing his support. And if anything his marriage to Cassandra Jean has hurt him slightly (in that now some people are turned off because he's not "available"). He didn't need to prove anything, he got married because he loved her. Sorry you're bent out of shape over it all, but life goes on.
- Dont you just love posts like R200?
He *loves* her so, of course, he married her.
- R201 I see both of the points being made. The only two people who really know the answer to a question of "love" is both involved parties (in this case, Stephen & his wife).
As for my opinion on if I doubt their marriage? I don't, but I can understand why some would.
- There's Colin Donnell, but he's 100% straight.
- And there's Will Smith. He's as straight as they cum ... I mean, come.
- lmao. I see the Colin Donnell is 100% straight troll is back! Missed you R203
- It would be a blast to get John Barrowman drunk and have him spill all that he knows about the gays he works with on that program.
- Colin Donnell's back -- and front are 100% straight,
- Colin Donnell goes straight - to the nearest gay bar...
- R199 I completely agree. The minute you think someone's going to have the guts to quit playing the bearding game, the give in just like all the other closet cases.
And yes, he is a very shitty actor.
- R209 You seem angry.
Anger is a defense mechanism that protects us from threat or fear of rejection, isolation, loss of control, failure, the unknown and/or death.
Get well. Peace & love.
- R209 Yes, I am angry about all the bearding shit that is STILL going on in 2013.
- Why won't anyone believe that Colin Donnell is 100% straight?
- The problem with how Amell played it is he purposely made people think he might be gay...then got married to a woman. It was poor form. If you are straight, just say you are straight. I get why he might want to esoterically say it shouldn't matter...but it does, and you shouldn't allow gay fans to believe you are gay if it isn't true.
I would disagree he is a shitty actor though. I thought the same thing for the first half of the season, but the past handful of eps he seems to have finally found the character. I've been surprisingly impressed with his performance recently.
- I really hate all the flashbacks to the island every week. Is that really necessary? We KNOW he survived, so every scene of him being tortured or threatened with death is absurd.
I do love his smoky eye makeup as the Arrow. And how does he lower his voice so he sounds so macho?
- No one ever thought Colin Donnell was gay.
That's because he's 100% straight!
- R216 why do you keep posting that? You posted R203 R207 R212 and now again with R216
I think people would let it go, but you keep bringing his sexuality back up.
- I'm enjoying the new comic FWIW.
- It shows how he became the bad-ass fighter he became, R215.
He had to get his training and survivor ethics from somewhere.
It hardened him up.
I think they are very interesting. That Australian is a total hottie.
- Also, that's probably a voice-modulator of some sort.
They showed him turning it off when he was talking to his best friend when they were up in the penthouse. So he could recognize who he was.
- R210...you seem like a silly frau with untreated mental illness. Your passive-aggressive post is far more indicative of a person who could use some help. Anger is an appropriate reaction to closet-cases, dear. Just as you presumably get angry when someone refers to you as a cunt. Which I certainly would never do! Peace and love to you always.
- R217...get OFF the GAY gossip board, cunt!
- Amell did a bit for TV Guide where they asked him to ID the abs of the stars of other CW programs without seeing their faces.
Of course he aced it, but he says "I'm not sure how well I want to do in this."
Is that a homophobic thing to say? Either way, it seems like a reversal of the way he was comfortable teasing with his sexuality last year - before Arrow premiered.
- R223 It's amazing to me how pro-gay he was last year and didn't care how gay he sounded (I remember one tweet where he said how excited he was about going to Pride), and now all of the sudden after this marriage, he now is saying things like, "I'm not sure how well I want to do in this." What a 180 he's done.
- The show got really boring fast. I'll tune in when Black Canary appears. She was the only thing that made GA interesting.
- Hot. Hot. Hot.
- Great full-page shirtless shots of Amell in the new issue of EW, on newsstands now.
- [quote]Great full-page shirtless shots of Amell in the new issue of EW, on newsstands now.
Not interested now that he's married.
Fantasy is gone
- Are you really looking forward to the Black Canary? Assuming it is going to be Katie Cassidy I am dreading that. Though maybe she will do a better job playing a superhero than she does just playing Laurel.
Also I've come to like this show a lot. For the first half of the season it was alright but the recent run of episodes I've think have become a good little show.
- Amell posted a supportive statement about marriage equality on his Facebook.
I kind of wish he would have left off the comment about the gays he knows being good decorators.
- I rolled by eyes at that line too R230, it was a nice and simple message that did not need a stupid fratboy stereotype to go with it. Almost seemed added on to emphasize his own straightness.
- R231 I get so sick of the cliched stereotypes about gays being great decorators, having great fashion, being great hairdressers, being great make up artists, etc.
- No Twitter message necessary from Colin Donnell since he's 100% straight and the world knows it.
- Colin was actually tweeting a lot about same-sex marriage the past few days, r233.
- Colin Donnell is gay-friendly and 100% straight.
- We have no idea yet if Laurel is destined to be Black Canary.
I'm guessing her sister Sara will return from the dead as Black Canary, complete with some result of her accident that will be a Canary cry of some kind.
- What is with the Colin Donnel is straight troll R235/R233/R216 ? Seems so random and not actually funny.
- orgot to say, I agree: the show has gone down-hill since that shattering cliffhanger weeks ago in which Arrow confronted his mother with a "You failed this city." Upon its return from that great moment, the show has been dull.
- Anyone else hoping that for the season finale they kill off Ollie's sister and Laurel's dad?
- This thread was closed for a few weeks, but seems to be available again.
Amell is supposed to be on Jay Leno tonight.
- Amell might be on Leno, but he'd never be on Colin Donnell because Colin is VERY straight.
- [quote]Amell is supposed to be on Jay Leno tonight.
Who cares? Nobody's interested now that he's married and we know he's straight.
- He's not straight. He's closeted. Big difference.
- Which one, r243?
Stephen Amell or Colin Donnell?
- Both. Clearly. That show is gay, gay, gay. But of course Amell is campaigning hard to be in Fifty Shade of Gray, so he HAS to be "straight".
- It's a shame Mr. Arnell as an actor can't relate to other actors in a scene.
- One time a few weeks ago the TV was on and I glanced up to see what I was watching, and I thought it was some sort of commercial for a luxury car or a perfume or something like that. It never seemed to end. Then I realized I was actually watching an episode of "Arrow"--it was a long scene with the Queen family at some fancy party.
- He's not closeted. Yawn. If anything he's one of the most vocally pro-gay straight celebrities out there.
- Please, let him be one of our gays!
- Colin Donnell is definitely NOT one of us gays!
- Colin Donnell is the type of guy who is gay but will be the last one to know it.
- Colin Donnell is as straight as they come.
- Me too! (wink)
- In this pic, he actually looks just a little like a gay porn star from machofucker studios... they could be brothers
- Colin Donnell has got some great stage credits on his resume... is he in Arrow just for the cash?
It seems he was definitely employable in NYC.
Do you think he and John Barrowman are entertaining the Arrow cast with song and dance renditions?
He's a good looking man... any shirtless pics available?
- Before the show started, I thought the backstory part of the saga was going to be really interesting and possibly be the best part of the show.
But instead I've realized that I pretty much tune out when they flash to what happened on the island. They are stretching it out too long and making it almost irrelevant to me. They play the tense music when a clue is presented as to something that has made Oliver the way he is now, but it feels like manufactured impact.
That stupid wig he wears doesn't help. Also Amell not being a great actor doesn't help. At least in the modern day story he is surrounded by more interesting actors, but everyone on the island is a dud.
- Saw him interviewed on the late night shows. Wow! Some major purse dropping.
- Wow I completely disagree R256. At first I hated the Island flashbacks but now I think they are a great part of the show and when Amell does some of his best acting.
I was sad they killed off the assassin (Gunn!), in last nights episode. Dude had way more screen presence than a lot of the villains of the week.
- Did anyone see Amell's interview on Jay Leno?
- Anyone see any photos of Steve Amell's feet or Colin Donnell's very straight feet?
- LOVED the quip about dying her hair ... "I keep [italic]YOUR[/italic] secrets!!"
And Colton sure seems to have a crush on that Arrow guy, doesn't he? Nice that his girlfriend seems to be okay with his obsessing about another male...
- R258, the only better villain is the "Vertigo" guy (from "FRINGE"!!!) ... he was absolutely awesome. I wish he weren't essentially 'gone' now. I'd love him to be a recurring character.
- 248...Hi PR person!
- I can't help it. The show is crap, but I love it anyway.
- I only watch it for the Stephen Amell, shirtless workout scenes.
- R265 Amell is OK, but what about "Tommy" and "Roy" and the Aussie on the island? all very hot men, well worth watching on my TV.
- The Aussie on the island was on "Spartacus" and was full frontal nude in at least one scene.
Tonight's episode was good...
- *** SPOILER ***
Wow, did not expect that right there at the end! Now another person knows "The Hood's" identity. The worst possible person.
And only one episode left? Wow... that went fast!
- I can't believe Oliver was bested by that older man. I love John B in anything but I'm having a hard time believing him in this role. He is soft and delicate. Not really all that buff.
- Colton was almost in orgasm when his character officially met Oliver for the first time in this week's episode. I'm sure Colton had plenty of masturbatory fantasies after that day on the set.
- Colton doesn't need to masturbate. He can have anyone at any time.
- Hard to believe, but with all the handsome guys around, Collin Donnell is still 100% straight! And don't forget it!
- Agreed R269. Not believable at all. JB of all people knocked him out? cmon.
- 273, you do GET that this guy is the black arrow guy, right? He's not just some "older man", he's incredibly accomplished at taking out people.
- He's Merlin, not the black arrow.
Is he believable as Merlin? Well, if all the other queens can be believable as Green Arrow, Speedy, etc, then I don't see the problem. It's like a superhero play on a gay cruise.
- He's the guy in the black cape shooting all the other guys with arrows. He was able to catch the arrow that The Green Arrow shot straight at his heart. Come on.
- lmao R275. Love the casting (except for useless Tommy & Laurel). Hopefully Season 2 features Colton more.
- Tommy isn't useless. he's pretty. i'd love to see more of him and Amell hugging it out.
- John Barrowman was on the 5/11/13 episode of Scandal on ABC.
He played a handler/fixer for Mellie, the president's wife.
Do you think that means his character will be killed off in the season finale of Arrow?
BTW - if there pics of Tommy shirtless, please let me know where they can be found.
- Greetings from Dusseldorf from everyone's favorite schoolmarm!
Don't forget to check out my blog! Just google "recovered baptist blog."
Fuck you, webbie!
- DAMMIT! i hated the ending tonight!
- That was an awesome season finale!!!
- I wonder how many takes Barrowman needed for the scene with Amell chained up shirtless in front of him?
- Does a character played by a gay actor die?
- my fake boyfriend died! not fair!
- Will Colin and his hairy back be coming back to the lights of B*R*O*A*D*W*A*Y?
- This was a really good episode, I used to just look at this show as cheesy entertainment that had Amell's abs as eye candy but surprised at how invested I am now. Though I still appreciate the eye candy, sure that was a fun scene to shot for Barrowman.
Also have to give the man props. I always thought he could really only do jovial stuff well but we was damn good bringing the intense crazy, believably scary. Have more respect for him as an actor now.
- The fate of the Barrowman character is unknown, right? I don't get what happened with him. Oliver told Tommy that he didn't kill him, which is probably true since he only looked severly wounded after the fight, but maybe not.
But the last time we saw him was when he was face down on the roof of the building announcing that he planted a redundant machine. After the commercial break they showed Oliver and Diggle arm-in-arm watching parts of the city collapsing from that same rooftop. Olly bolted to rescue Laurel, so I'm assuming Diggle stayed to make sure Dark Hood is either dead or taken into custody? But lots could go wrong with that idea since Diggle was injured too.
So unless I missed something, Barrowman could possibly return to the show. On the other hand, Donnell...
- The departing actor posted this short video tonight to thank the fans of the show...
- Love this show and what an awesome finale! Sorry to see Tommy go though. I liked him.
- The fates of both the father and son are up in the air and will, no doubt, depend on contract negotiations. They could have Tommy survive the impalement.
Does it bother anyone else that when the police department sends in a small swat team to capture the most dangerous criminal in the city and he kills them all, there are no other cops in the neighborhood? No back up. No response to "officer down!" The dead cops just lie there while the characters continue with their drama. This has happened several times on this show. Lazy writing.
- Cheesiest show on tv, with some incredibly bad acting. Anyone who tries to make this about something more than abs and camp is nuts. The fun of this show is in how hammy it is.
- It is hammy, but it's all fun. Reminds me of a male Xena. I actually like Oliver Queen much more than I've ever liked batman. I think the acting is over the top, but in a good way. The chick who plays the tech is great and so is the dude playing Tommy.
And nothing wrong with eye candy of Amell!
- EW Magazine has a short interview about the finale with exec. producer Marc Guggenheim.
When asked if Malcolm is actually dead, his response is "Well it certainly looks that way."
Not exactly a definitive answer. That's consistent with the way the show was edited though because it left viewers speculating as to the fate of Dark Hood.
- On the other hand Colton's tweets indicate the cast believes Tommy is dead.
- The most disappointing aspect of the finale for me was that Laurel, who is presumably going to become the truly kick-ass Black Canary at some point in the future, was shown as the helpless damsel in distress.
- Actually, r292, I like the fact that the show is not as reliant on comic book action as it is on character. Shows usually focus more on character's inner turmoils or family politics. The show isn't Shakespeare, but then again, without its poetry, Shakespeare is actually just plot-driven kitsch.
- Tommy was hot. Couldn't he have had an extended nude workout scene or something before being killed off?
- We could have Tommy in a flashback, to show us when he and Oliver had a bi-curious experience together.
We can dream
- I hope Colton and "The Hood" get together next season and spend a lot of male-bonding time.
- I'm in love with Stephen Amell.
- Yes I would love for Stephen to blow a big load on my face!
- If you've ever wondered what else Mr. Donnell can do... here he is, singing and performing in a recent NYC revival of Cole Porter's "Anything Goes".
He cleans up very nicely.
- Here's one more with Colin... a bit dressed down, looking incredibly sharp singing "It's DeLovely", also from the revival of "Anything Goes".
Go ahead boys and swoon.