- Denise is still working on the Rainbow Express this year.
Gotta hand it to her, she is one persistent fester.
- I love Denise.
- I love Denise:
[quote] don't ya think talking about your pile would be much more fun with more wimmin than just ourselves or our partner ?
Just imagine spending three days on that rented RV obtained from all those recycled aluminum cans bouncing down the road talking with Denise and the other wimmin about your pile?
- Are you telling us now, so you won't have to tell us then?
- [quote]why keep spending way more money to the man when we all could spend more money on land?...
[quote]i realize many of you find my bad spelling & wondering thoughts a pain or the "whole scandle" made you question my motives ...
Oh, Denise, never change.
- I feel that before we engage in a dialog within a communal thread-based forum, we should set forth some paramaters of discussion in order to unite us all in systerhood.
State them, henceforth.
- Yes R4. It will be my first year at fest. I'm a festie virgin and prepping early.
I love Denise too R2. She is misunderstood. Should I contact her regarding transportation? I should probably send her a cash deposit now, I wouldn't want to lose my spot on the bus.
- Are you a fat woman? If so, you could be useful on garbage detail.
- I'm pleasantly plump R8.
- Bring plenty of sunscreen if you're going to be topless!
- Yes to all questions, r7.
- I've never heard of Michfest. Will there be any hot guys there?
- I don't know R12. Maybe you should get in touch with the organisers and ask them.
Be sure to let us know the response.
- You gotta hand it to Denise. Nothing, NOT ONE THING, will make her change her mind about her wacky bus idea. If only her cause was something else, something people cared about...
And never forget...Squirrels. Death.
- Yes, R12. You should definitely go!
- I wish op really would go, and take a Flip at least, and then make a short 4-5 minute video of the wacky highlights, load it up on Youtube and then give us the link.
That's what I wish.
- Are you a PENISED PERSON, OP?
- Have you picked your Fest name? Don't they have to be something like Moonwomb Thyme or something like that?
- R16 That is the plan.
No R17. If I was a penised person I would not be allowed on the land.
No, R18. Can you help?
- Denise has gone from our laughingstock to our mascot. Who says Datalounge doesn't evolve?
- Don't forget to get a battery pack for your C-Pap machine, you don't want to end up like Rose.
- Maybe Mitt Romney's Magic Underpants will be able to make it this year, as well!
- Just looked at the musical acts. WHERE THE HELL IS CRIS WILLIAMSON?
(Do you think I can make "elderlesbian" happen?)
- Awesome, op!
- Also, THIS workshop will start some trouble: Allies in Understanding: Womyn-Only Space, the Shifting Concepts of Gender, and Trans Inclusion ~ Amber and Jona
Man on the land! Man on the land!
- [quote] And never forget...Squirrels. Death.
I wonder whatever happened to Rose....
- Love you, op. August can't come fast enough.
- I wonder what happened to Rose's daughter, R26, having to put up with all that crazy.
- Why won't Denise stop with the bus stuff?
- Because Denise has a dream.
- We should just buy a van for Denise. Then she can drive all the wimmin she wants to the fest.
- [quote](Do you think I can make "elderlesbian" happen?)
No. The proper term is "crone." Though that's really for post-menopausal wimmin, I think. Around here, an eldergay is anything above 40, isn't it?
- "We should just buy a van for Denise. Then she can drive all the wimmin she wants to the fest"
C'mon. We couldn't get it together to buy Canadian Joy a waffle iron.
- "Crone," LOL.
- [quote]C'mon. We couldn't get it together to buy Canadian Joy a waffle iron.
I wonder if there's an update. Would love to see pics.
- Bump... in the road for Denise's van.
- Lady bump
- Where are the MichFest political forums? Have they been hidden from non-registered forum members?
- Let's work together to promote Clitorectomies!
Because nothing remotely shaped like a penis should poison our moist, fragrant gardens!
- Datalounge is the new Michfest. Nothing but dykes getting everyone banned.
- [quote] C'mon. We couldn't get it together to buy Canadian Joy a waffle iron.
I remember that.
Sadie and Lorri Jean told us we couldn't buy any major brands because corporations oppress us.
We did find an independently made waffle iron on line, but Krista launched into a tirade about how packaging rapes Mother Earth, and then Paulette followed with her plastics rant.
And by the time Kyryn and Deven got to us, all possible forms of payment had been ruled out. No oppressive big bank lenders, no homophobic, lesphobic PayPal.
However, Joy did stock up on rechargable batteries for her vibrator at the Seneca reservation on her way back to Canada, so I think she had a positive experience.
- [quote]WHERE THE HELL IS CRIS WILLIAMSON?
I thought she turned straight.
- [quote]I thought she turned straight.
That was Holly Near.
- MWMF is like Burning Man, SXSW, Pitchfork, Dinah Shore and Girl Scouts wrapped in one.
- OP, are you still going?
- R40, it's not the "dykes," it's the uptight eldergays.
Lesbians seem to have, by and large, left DL.
- BE sure to take enough batteries for your CPAP this time.
- I have a couple friends (7 Sisters Alum, naturally) that are talking about revisiting Michfest this year. I "may" go with them, but I am not sure. They are more out doors-y than I am, when they need to be, and they have no problems with camping.
I'm hesitant because I can't really picture myself camping. What if I am miserable after the first few hours - then I'm stuck in a stupid tent with bugs and humidity fo rdays on end without an escape.
I did look into hotels, BUT, the only one I can find advertises "No shirt, No shoes, NO PROBLEM!" That's not really what I had in mind considering it's supposed to be a vacation.
I think there is a Comfort Inn as well in the area - but that's it. If I'm desperate I could stay in the Comfort Inn, but I kind of wanted something more upscale. There is absolutely no real hotels there.
If anyone knows of any hotel in the vicinity that has room service, a gym - and ideally a spa, let me know.
- Don't forget the 'drum elders', R32.
- Will I get a discount for croning during Fest?
- How many shebeasts attend this ridiculous shindig each year? Do they actually use "wimmin" and "syster" to decribe themselves?
"And what's your name?"
"How do you get your mail?"
--Martin Mull in "Serial"
Ms. Lardbutt Stretchpants-Cane
- I still mourn for poor Vera.....:(
- Yay! for Sara and her Vagina Cape!
It wouldn't be fest without it!
- So Michfest starts in a few months. Are you ready OP?
- Oh, Michfest how I've missed you so.
- oh nos!
they've locked down the forum!!!
i may have to register; but then if i paste some of the more ridiculous commentary herein, they would be able to track it to ME, right?
- "You agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you. The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions.
Although WWTMC does not and cannot review the messages posted and is not responsible for the content of any of these messages, WWTMC reserves the right to delete any message for any or no reason whatsoever. You remain solely responsible for the content of your messages, and you agree to indemnify and hold harmless WWTMC with respect to any claim based upon transmission of your message(s).
We reserve the right to reveal your identity (or whatever information we know about you) in the event of a complaint or legal action arising from any message posted by you."
- Yow, R57! Now we'll have to rely on those who sign up to that forum to cut and paste pertinent for us!
- R23 I think "elderdyke" sounds lovely!
- I'm not into the pussy, but wonder if I'd be welcome to check it out.
- OP I think penised persons are allowed on land - provided they are still nursing or older boys under the care of a fester but aren't allowed on sacred ground - or something like that - I love me a car load of crazy - and I don't mean that as an insult - these types of people are what make things interesting and give us pause to think IMHO
- As a MTF transexual, do you think this costume will be enough to let me attend?
- if you're going to bump a michfest thread, this one is more current....
- as i said
- I love Michfest threads. As a female this festival holds a repellent fascination for me. I have no desire to go, ever, and these women are hilariously insane. Vagina capes and breast-casting? For real?
- What is a vagina cape?
- Have they culled the content on their forum?
- OP -- are you still going?
- Interesting, we've lampooned the Armpit Hair Nazis for years, but I've never heard anyone here say they've been to it.
- [quote]What is a vagina cape?
Happy to oblige!
- I was expecting some sort of prolapse.
- Sara is a class act with that "Hairy Pussies" slogan on her shirt.
- Someone said last year they were going, but then didn't manage it for some reason. I thought she'd been discovered as a DL member and subject to some sacrificial Wickerman (er ... Wickerwomyn) ceremony.
- State your boundaries NOW!
- This thread is violating our boundaries! We will not be victims of your haterape!
Larkspur Womonflow, Mentrual Hut Coordinator
- Is Mitt Romney's Magic Underpants still planning on attending this year? What about Mermaid? I thought she was going to go, too.
- The Michfest forum is virtually dead - where are these womyn talking?
- It's much slower since they locked down the politics and 'other' forums.
- Aw gee, I thought a vagina cape would be a long, swirly skirt with a slit all the way up to the waistband.
- The menstrual hut, explained:
- OMG, I've just realised I'm only a five hour drive from Michfest next year. I'm going. In a luxury RV (I'm not fucking camping).
- [quote] I'm going. In a luxury RV (I'm not fucking camping).
Then you likely won't stay anywhere near the grounds, since there's no amenities available for the RV hookups.
- R83, THE LAND, not the grounds. Newbie!
- I'll never forget that moment when I came upon Sister Candlemaker bathing in the pond and rinsing out her reusable pads. Her yoni glistening in the fading light is burned forever in my memory.
Sister Moongarden, Michfest 2008
- RVs are accommodated on the land, r85. RV is only necessitated because I want a. my own toilet and b. somewhere to prepare food without risk of dysentery.
- will you be our 'mole' and take pics and update us on all the craziness?
- But it still must be nutloaf, missy!
- It's true that many of the women look like men. However, I do not recommend any of our gay males trying to "pass" as female and crash the event. It could be the last thing you ever do....
- Doesn't it seem like all the lesbians live in la now?
- Michigan State Univ. is following the No Penises on the Land controversy.
- I'm surprised Michigan State Univ. allow staff/students to host such personal sites. Do I really need to see Carrie's boyfriend half naked - hell no.
- R91 that site is like 12 years old i wonder whatever happened to that blogger - from 2004: "Carrie Tune-Copeland, chair of the TransGender Michigan board of directors"
"Tune-Copeland joined her husband, C.J. Tune-Copeland, as the main trainers for the day. "
- I didn't realise those pages where so old - a good example of bad online identity management.
Carrie is on this page - she works for Haven now. She doesn't seem all that into transgender issues anymore - perhaps she and CJ are no more!
- Strike the 'h'!
- Omg r94 - is this her? Has she become a coupon clipping frau?
- Does the pride dyke who shat herself post there?
- r96, looks like it is! Married again too. From activism to coupon clipping. I blame 9/11.
- Here is cj tune's livejournal - begging for donations for a 2010 wedding trip!
God how tacky. Is this kind of thing more socially acceptable in the Midwest?
- Look out ladies - cj is single, on the prowl, and into BSDM!
- We scream with angry power!
- Does Cheryl ever go there touting her allegedly stinky pussy?
- Oh, MRMU, come back, we love you!
Another one of the leswomien
- Oh no! It's pussy licking time again on the old prairie!
- If Sara ever did want to fem up a bit, I've found the perfect dress for her.
- I would hope Cheryl's stank cooch is banned from Michfest.
- I am going to Michfest this year. I posted upthread. I was on the fence about going at the time. I've never been to Michfest, and honestly I am not sure if it will be my thing, but I've gotten over my fears about camping and decided what the hell. I want to see what it's all about.
I don't know how much of a correspondent I will be (my friend I am attending with really enjoys Michfest and has gone before) so I don't want to offend her by making fun of something she enjoys.
But I will do my best to report back on my experiences there.
Unfortunately I am not staying in a hotel as I originally wanted to - this is full on camping (a first for me). I will only be going for 3 days, so if camping isn't my thing, at least I won't be there all week.
- I love you, r108. I appreciate you putting up with the camping (not my thing, either), and I understand about not making fun of things and offending your friend, but you know as soon as you're back home, your first port of call must be us here at the DL.
- yes, ditto what 109 said. we'll try to be patient.
- Can't wait!
- R49/108, will you obsessively plan your every move while you're on The Land, or will you take things as they come?
Don't forget, as Fest policy dictates, no men are allowed on the land, with the exception of the PortaJane maintenance crew, so cleanse your iPod of men's voices prior to attending Fest, because men's voices would aurally haterape the systers.
So many commas
- R108, start getting your headspace in gear now for lots of boundary-stating, consensus-building, and Fat wimmin on garbage detail.
Have loads of gynocentric fun!
- There used to be a YouTube comedy video of two wimmen and their Michfest adventures, but I can't find it - I hope it hasn't been taken down.
- It was taken down at the request of the Crones, R114. It wounded us. We told YouTube once and since they took it down, we did not have to tell them again. they are well aware of our boundaries.
- r108, remember hand sanitizer!
- After all this time, the DL will actually have a correspondent at Michfest. We speak your name, and scream with our angry power!
PS even if you don't smoke, bring a carton of Natural American Spirit Organic Blends, because they will be useful in bartering your way out of garbage detail, breast casting, and the Laura Nyro drum circle at the Menstrual Hut.
- That's too bad. It was really funny. One of the highlights was a scene in the wimmen's tent in the middle of the night with singing ringing through the trees outside.
"We know it's a fucking music festival. But does there have to be music ALL THE FUCKING TIME?!"
- Say hi to Denise!
- The DL needs a live blogging correspondent to keep us posted on the goings on.
- R49/r108 needs a catchy nickname for this thread. How about D.I.K.E.E.(datalounge informant keepin 'em entertained!)
- Whatever happened to Mitt Romney's Magic Underpants? I miss her.
- DIKEE, please be sure to bring your smartphone!
- Truth is, it's probably a lot of fun for a lot of women. It's just the vocal ones who get so into rules and being politically correct that can be killjoys.
But the woods in summertime are not for me. Mosquitoes are evil.
- Thanks for all the advice.
R124 - I totally didn't even think about mosquitoes - eek. I guess I should bring a lot of bug spray.
- I am telling you NOW so I do not have to tell you THEN. Make sure the bugspray is all-natural and unscented.
- Is there any 3G or cell phone coverage on the Land? Or is it a total dead zone?
If you broke your leg, would they spend five days rain dancing and praying to the Goddess Gaia before considering sending for the paramedics?
- lol R126! Thank you for the tip. I definitely don't want to stir up any drama on the land with unnatural scented bug spray!
- R127, I was thinking the same thing. I will be bringing my iphone, but will there even be a signal or 3G coverage? I hope so.
- There is NO cell phone coverage on the land. There is a payphone in the parking lot but you must use a calling card (purchased at the Cuntree Store) to operate it.
- For R114.
- It appears the transwoman thing heated up last year!
"Here is a partial list of incidents involving these men at this year’s festival, as posted by Graceaware on the Michfest forum:
“0.1. a female-born womon is told “I am more woman than you” by a trans woman
0.2. a trans woman’s detailed narrative about masturbating with her penis and cock ring is read aloud in a sex-for-one workshop for pre-orgasmic womyn, triggering the sexual trauma of one woman severely and upsetting and triggering several others. (Alice K)
0.3. a trans woman with a penis is seen nude at the shower by a woman born female and her four-year-old granddaughter
0.4. a trans woman’s erection is noticed at a party in the Zone
0.5.a penis is seen at the WOC Burlesque show
0.6. a WHITE trans woman wears a “Trans Women Belong Here” t-shirt to the WOC Burlesque show, offending womyn of color with the proclamation that she belongs in WOC space (Angel S)
0.7. a trans woman, seemingly high, wanders into the Teen Tent, causing a pre-teen to be asked by the other teens there to leave for her own safety due to her pro-Fest boundary t-shirt
0.8. the clothesline of a woman born female is stolen after she hangs up her shirt with “No They Don’t” on it (in response to “Trans Women Belong Here.”)
0.9. “IT WAS HERE” and the symbol for trans with an anarchist A in the middle was carved into janes at triangle.
0.11. many female butches’ sex and gender are questioned in the ONE place they used to be able to count on that NOT happening.
0.12. the stories of violation, trauma, and triggers on the Land as told by women born female are discounted and disbelieved.
0.13. in the “Allies in Understanding” workshop, a wbw who was paired up with a trans woman (Tobi H) asked the trans woman if she was trans. Tobi said yes. The wbw did not want to discuss the issue with a trans woman, she preferred to discuss it with another wbw with the opposite opinion so she did not engage. AT the end of the workshop Tobi said that the wbw she was paired up with “made assumptions about her” and therefore chose not to engage.
0.14. A trans woman elbowed a wbw in the breast as she shoved her way onto the dance floor at Night Stage (Alice K)
0.15. a wbw was harassed late at night by several trans women who followed her on the path and said things like “how does it feel to be the last one out late at night?” as the shone flashlights in her eyes.
0.16. a wbw at a fire was harassed by a trans woman who tried to press her into a conversation about the Issue, and would not take no for an answer, forcing the wbw to leave the fire.”"
- My post about the transwomen got deleted! How strange (it was quoted and reference too).
That is truly sad. Those wimmin are seriously damaged.
- What are they going to do to prevent such incidents? Have a strip search at the entrance? That really is horrible.
- Thanks, R131.
That video was hilarious. The tit diagrams and prosthetic pissing tubes had ME pissing myself (with laughter).
It confirmed my suspicion that the Fest is a whole lotta fun - if you're able to withstand all the politics and the usual camping/festival indignities.
Oh, and some occasionally terrible music.
- Funny video. Who knew prosthetic pissing tubes even existed so women could pee standing up? What's the story of those two? Couple or just business partners?
- r137, blonde one is straight. They are trying to do a movie together called the Nicest Thing starring Tammy Lynn Michaels.
The she-wee (pissing things!) have been available for some years at most big festivals. I first saw them at Glastonbury. I think they've fell out of fashion as most women still end up pissing down their leg.
- Thank you, r131! That video is genius. I love them whispering talking shit about the music.
- Julie Goldmanm, the butch one, was on that Logo comedy show. She and Brandy write jokes for Joan Rivers on The Fashion Police.
I wonder if it kills her that Kate McKinnon ended up on SNL?
- I was going to go to Michfest this year, but my girlfriend is an artist who is doing an art piece with her womans art group at Burning Man this year so I'm doing that.
I don't know which will be more 'interesting', the heat, the playa dust and all the drugged freaks or the humidity, bugs and the Michfest freaks. At least my RV has a huge retrofitted water tank so I'll be able to shower.
We've agreed to go to Michfest next year no matter what.
- MRMU, I'll report back on what you've missed. Sounds like you're going to have a similar experience at Burning Man....never been to that, but have heard all about it.
- [quote]I was going to go to Michfest this year, but my girlfriend is an artist who is doing an art piece with her womans art group at Burning Man this year so I'm doing that.
Okay, that's pretty cool, too.
- What happened to Denise? Has her dream of the Rainbow Bus faded into star dust?
- R141 you sound fun.
- "Denise is still working on the Rainbow Express this year.
Gotta hand it to her, she is one persistent fester."
Hand what to her? The bong, while she steers the Rainbow Express with her knees?
- Some of those trans stories are upsetting but of course, they only report the bad.
I love how they use the word "noticed" when it refers to an erection in the Zone.
- R142 needs am appropriately womon-centered Michfest name. I propose Ladyslipper Breadpudding.
- I have met a few MTF trans and if they hadn't told me they were trans I never would have known.
How do the Michfisters know who aren't natural born women?
- meant Michfester, not michfister
- Just found out that we'll be camping in a women only area at Burning Man, by the votes in gf's art group. Seems they have quite a few of their own rules. Oh well, at least I'll be able to bike away from the 'Michfest of the Playa' when their boundaries get to be too much.
Can't wait to hear R142 report on Michfest.
What are the boundaries, uh, rules?
- I'll post them later. Lunch break is just about done.
BTW any DL'ers going to Burning Man?
- I might, Burning Man, that is. Some friends are going, and it's not that far away.
I don't know if I'm going to be able to cope with the all-night noise and crowds, I might bring a rented RV just to have a door I can shut.
- MRMU, did you forget to post the rules?
- I'm a dyke on a trike and I'm going... VROOM VROOM hear my tricycle roar
missy elliot trying to rap about fest
- If it's in Michigan it'll be bankrupt before it gets underway
- Sorry I didn't post this earlier. It's been a rough week at work. More than half of the women don't agree with the rules and want to change them. Comparing their rules with the Michfest rules makes me think there were Michfesters making up these rules.
I need to preface this by saying that none of the women in the art group are poor, no starving artist types. The few women who make a living with their art have done well for themselves. The others all have decent jobs. I've been to most of these women's homes and none live in a garret.
The rules apply to everyone, artists, their families and SO's of the artists
No men. It's a woman's art group and while some of the women are straight it's felt that since the art group is women only the communal group should be women only. (I think this BS, it's not like Burning Man is a women's only place)
They plan on having some type of 'guard' patrol, to make sure no men enter the area so that all the women feel safe. We're expected to arrange our campsite in a 'circle the wagons' formation. (And what are these delicate flowers going to do to feel 'safe' when they have to leave the campsite area? Travel in packs?)
It's 'suggested' that if we have extra room in our RVs we allow other women who can't afford their own to stay with us. (Probably because no one wants to stay in tent and a few are too cheap to pool their money to rent an RV)
Communal meals, heavily geared towards a vegetarian/vegan diet. If you are one of the dreadful meat eaters, that HAVE to eat meat at any meal, you have to have your grill in an area outside of the group area that is downwind of the main group that meal so they don't have to smell you cooking meat. (I wonder how they are going to react to the +60,000 other people who are going to be there and might be cooking meat)
There is a shopping list of what we are expected to bring to contribute to the communal meals, even if we don't plan on eating them. (Can I make them 20 nut loaves and call it even?)
Everyone is expected to take part in either keeping the area a woman only area, cooking, cleaning up, or child care every day. It's 'suggested' that we volunteer for two, two hour shifts each day. (This is on top of the time they are working keeping up their artwork, not to mention that Burning Man isn't really a great place to bring kids)
It's suggested that we buy extra bikes for people (in the woman's art group) who don't have one. (sure I'm going run out and buy a bike that's probably going to get stolen)
Those with toilets and showers in their RVs are expected to share them with those that don't so that no one from the group has to trek to the porta-pottis (especially in the middle of the night) and so everyone can stay clean. (Um, no. I don't want someone stumbling into my RV in the middle of the night to take a shit)
No animals are allowed because some women have allergies or aversions to animals (not because they aren't allowed at Burning Man)
Sunscreen has to be unscented because some people are sensitive to smells. (By the second day there the smell of sunscreen is going to be the last thing they're going to be able to smell)
No drug use at all, no matter what. It's preferred that there be no drinking. (Don't see that one happening AT ALL)
At the end of Burning Man we're dividing up the trash by who can carry the most out. (I can live with this rule)
Everyone needs to bring 4 extra cases of water more than they figure they will need. (I can live with this one too)
Everyone needs to contribute to an 'ice fund' for daily purchases of ice for the group, on top of individual ice purchases. (I'm ok with this one too)
They found out that I have a generator and have started to pressure me to bring it to share with everyone, they also seem to think I'm supposed to pay for the fuel, and get it out there when they first go out to set up their artwork. I can see a technical problem with the generator in the near future
My girlfriend and I are trying to figure out a way to either try to get some of the rules changed/dropped or get out of the woman's art commune without her being kicked out of her art group. As I said there are other women who feel the same way as we do so hopefully there can be some compromise.
- Jeepers, it seems like Michfest without all the fun.
- "They found out that I have a generator and have started to pressure me to bring it to share with everyone, they also seem to think I'm supposed to pay for the fuel, "
Bring one day's worth of fuel, let anyone else who wants to use it go and buy some more, or pass the hat don't spend more than you get. And bring a small RV with only enough room for the two of you.
If you want to deal with these petty types, think passive-agressive and bitchy!
- I love your commentary on their rules MRMU. I laughed out loud at a couple of them.
I'm a long time "Burner", and I can tell you that even the most rigid of rules set up beforehand almost always fall by the wayside once you're there at Blackrock.
Do what you can to help and share what you can with an open hand and don't worry about the rest, it will all take care of itself.
Let me know if you want to meet up at Burning Man. I think I'd like meeting you.
- i can't imagine spending one hour with these kinds of women, MRMU, without at least a drink in my hand.
- Has anyone been wounded by words yet? Am I too late?
- MRMU, I would need drinks from morning till night to put up with the chicks who came up with those rules.
- take lots of photos and post! please!
- Here's hoping I won't need to be so drunk I forget all the fun I'll have away from psycho city.
Enough about me, We need to get the thread back to our undercover DL fester.
- With the Rebirth of the Land only a month away, the Festival boards are lighting up again with discussions of C-PAP machines, various food allergies (gluten is big this year), and, of course, who is qualified to camp out in the DART area (Differently Abled something something).
I was enjoying a "Tips and Tricks" thread when this stopped me in my tracks:
[quote]Gallon zip-lock bags are a must, as I discovered the night I now call "my new definition of hell". You do not wanna wake up at 2 am with the urge to clear your entire digestive tract from both ends, at the same time, and have nothing to use. Just sayin'. Get the sturdy kind. Your tent may thank you one day.
Now I have visions of a syster hopping around a tent on one foot, holding a Ziploc bag to her mouth with one hand and using the other to create a seal around her asshole.
Anyway, I guess you don't need to have projectile vomiting and diarrhea to enjoy using Ziploc bags for elimination, as a later poster notes:
[quote]Every year I bring a "pee bucket" so I don't have to leave the tent to the Janes. Usually, I take the bucket with me in the morning and go dump it. I've also tried using kitty litter. I think this year I may try the gallon zip lock bags with some kitty litter in it and make a removable bag to take out each morning. Gallon zip lock bags! The second best item at Fest, after Duct Tape!
- We've Michfest threads for years. Why is it only now that we learn about gallon ziplocs and their role in elimination?
- I am practically pissing myself imagining the womyn trying to squat over a gallon Ziploc bag, with the projectile shits, in a dark tent. You know it can't all make it in the bag. What a mess!
I'm sure the Ziploc people would be thrilled with such a product endorsement.
And these are the same womyn who have aneurysms over perfume and cig smoke because they are so "sensitive" to the smells of said items. The mind boggles.
I'd rather smell Estee Lauder and Marlboros than fucking human shit.
- I'm sure they're washing and sanitizing carefully after each episodes. Now we know how the shigella outbreak came to be.
- good find, r169!!
- Sisters, while the gallon zip lock bags are a great idea for the Subaru or Toyota Tacoma, a 55-gal. Rubbermaid trash can is much easier to use and clean. Trust me on this.
- I love the image of womyn using litter boxes.
- All these imaginative ways to dispose of human waste - from shit bombs (Ziploc bags) to cat litter to individual camping potties - and I bet not one of the Michfesties have said "Can we have more fucking toilets on The Land?!?".
- Non-natal womyn shall be confined to the communal weaving areas marked with an inverted mauve triangle.
Trans attendees shall be banished from the Land if caught exiting the marked zones.
Trans woMEN may also be subject to random genital and iPod inspections.
iPods found containing male gendered music will be confiscated, and the owners returned to the outer world of misogynist hegemony.
Syster Moonblood, Kommandant of the Land
- from Quirky Camping Tricks:
Store extra drinks such as bottles of wine, under your car in the parking lot. They won't get so hot and if you end up not needing them you won't have to lug them twice.
Run out of wine? Start looking under cars
- Oh wow...a FB friend of mine just shared a picture of the watermelon tree! (Or what it looked like when there were watermelons).
I'll post a link because it's marked public.
- Check out fest founder Lisa Vogel's FB friends list. It's... interesting. I think I actually saw a few penised people.
- Turns out I have a bunch of friends in common with her...maybe I should friend her.
- (But then I have 28 mutual friends with Denise Eaker).
- I'll never forget the Michfest thread about the womyn of size and their chair breaking woes. One found it useful to roll out of her chair.
- August 7-12, people. Get those generators out, start stockpiling dried cilantro!
- Is our DL undercover dyke still going?
- I thought that was a man with a cross-dressing fetish.
- Hey all, this is the lezzie that was supposed to go to Michfest
Sorry all, but I had to cancel. I had some unexpected things come up and I won't be able to attend. Maybe next year.
- My friend and her partner are going. They have been before and claim there is no such thing as a menstrual hut.
- lol R191, that's hilarious. One of my concerns about going was the sanitary conditions - I know there are bugs and things, but the sanitary conditions seemed well - unsanitary.
Oh well, at least I know there is no menstrual hut - that may sway me if I decide to go next year.
- From last year:
"Law & Order: Michfest"
- I've enjoyed these threads so much, and know people who LOVE going to Michfest. I've thought about taking one for the team...but no. Camping? Portajanes? Outdoor showers?
I didn't like Girl Scout camp when I was a child, and now indoor plumbing is my minimum.
- 50 feet is the maximum length for extension cords allowed at Fest. I learned that in one of the CPAP threads:
[quote]I use a CPAP machine. In previous years, I have used a battery and charged it at DART every other night, but my battery died, and I cannot afford a new one. Therefore, I will be staying in downtown DART near a power supply for the first time this year. I bought a 100 ft extension cord, which I think is the maximum length for power cords at fest.
[quote]I just re-read the DART guidelines, and 50 ft is the maximum extension cord length allowed at fest. Guess I have to go back to the store. :(
[quote]solameya, with preregistration for DART comes the assurance that there will be a plug available for your c-pap ir will be in the heart of DART. It does get crowded & can be noisey until August Nite shuts down.
I'm picturing a huge tent with hundreds of womyn on CPAP machines, snoring away, the Land beneath their sagging cots a tangle of approved 50-foot extension cords...
- The MichFest board has been so dead this year. Perhaps because of the changes to forum policy?
At any rate, I'm worried about Fest. Less than three weeks to go. What if only 30 or 40 womyn show up?
- [quote]Does anyone know how much activated charcoal does it take to absorb the moisture in a 2-3 person tent? Would a cup or so be enough?
"Absorb the moisture"? How much sweat are our systers giving off in their skyclad Gaia dancing?
- Translation: Amy wants someone to buy her a ticket.
[quote]Mich Fest is my HOME, my soul, my music, my art, my passion, my sanity, my stability, my friends, my community, my truest sense of self... but most of all, it is my healing place. I have literally shed tears into the dirt in that stretch of woods in the middle of nowhere & I leave a tiny piece of my heart there in Hart, MI where I know it is safe until my body returns each August to reunite myself, rekindle all that is good within me & to renew my spirit.
[quote]After these years of undesired absence due to job loss, major family illnesses & lack of funds, I feel such a strong, almost primal pull to The Land this year, but alas, my life & luck feel as though they are stuck in concrete far, far away from the one place I want to be. My spirit, my life, my loved ones, even my own physical body have taken many hits over the past three years, but just as I began to find ME again... finally the strength to soar despite, or maybe even because of my unfortunate circumstances... suddenly, without warning, the blows came much harder & faster than ever before.
[quote]Like a hopeful yet cautious bird enjoying her inaugural flight after a broken wing had mended, I guess I got distracted by the blue skies & feelings of freedom, that I never saw the danger about to blast me out of the beautiful sky I worked so hard to find again. NEVER have I needed Festival more than I do right now. So I speak my truth aloud putting this intention on the wind & into the universe... in writing where, like in my heart, it can not be erased... in the hopes The Divine will find a way to provide, one way or another.
- good lord!! she DOES go on....
- [quote]I'm picturing a huge tent with hundreds of womyn on CPAP machines, snoring away, the Land beneath their sagging cots a tangle of approved 50-foot extension cords...
Michfest 2012: The Year of Living CPAP
- Jesus, Amy, buy yourself a cheap vibrator and give yourself a good going over instead.
- How did we miss this post from Roseandlu: [quote]We will be there the entire week. Have PT Cruiser, it is just my 9 year old and I. I can pick you up from the airport, you can crash in my livingroom or whatever. We are mellow, my only caveat is that we must stop in Lansing for lunch (at my fav. mexican restaurant) and that you navigate. Gas money or leave the tip at the restaurant, no worries. Rose
She offered a ride, someone responded, and she failed to answer. WHET Rose?
- oh my.... good catch r202, and it sounds like she has a better handle on her meds this year.
- Is it Michfest or Bitchfest?
- Didn't Rose have a troubled daughter? Is this the "Lu" in her handle, RoseandLu?
So glad to see that didn't succumb to the squirrels.
- A la carte coffee creamers and assorted food allergies ...
[quote]Babs, can one purchase the coffee creamers aside from the coffee? Someone in another thread inquired about this. Also, my son will not be able to eat any of the fest lunches, I fear. He can not digest raw vegetables. He is not vegetarian, but is lactose and wheat intolerant. Can you give me an idea of what I may be able to get for him?
[quote]I'm not super familiar with the main kitchen's offerings, but be sure to check out the "plain foods" table (sometimes referred to as "special needs"). You may be able to cobble together a meal for your son on days when the basic offerings won't work for him. In the past, we have sold creamers a la carte. I'm not sure what the creamer situation will be this year at Saints, but generally something can be worked out. Just be patient with the womon waiting on you! Because it's not a "menu item", the request for loose creamer can confuse the new folks.
- "MICHFEST: Where back to the land means catering to your every special need."
- [quote]Have PT Cruiser, it is just my 9 year old and I.
If this is the same Rose and kid from last year, the rider better watch out; the kid is homicidal.
- New terminology to confuzzle everyone:
[quote]Fab = female at birth
Faab = female assigned at birth
No more wimmin-born-wimmin(WBW), now FAB, or FAAB.
- Another post from Roseandlu about the butch strut: [quote]Last year one of the butches had a dildo sticking out of her pants, the festival has children and I thought that was a bit too sexual for public viewing. Something that would be definitely ok in the Zone but walking down the road with children all around? It just sat wrong with me and I wanted to mention it.
Again, no real penises allowed, but fake penises OK on the land.
- That word wounds, R211. Please, instead of p**is, say "Organ of Death."
There. I have stated the boundaries of all the systers. If you make us state them again, we shall shun you at Fest.
- I will state my boundaries NOW, so I won't have to state them THEN:
I am trying to understand other boundaries and incorporate them into my boundaries, as much as possible.
I do not want to be hate-raped by a phallic symbol as I view a parade, much less allow someone's child to be hate-raped by the same phallic symbol.
I will re-state my boundaries: I don't want to be gang-hate-raped at Fest. There, I have re-stated my boundaries.
- How do you feel about tongues, R211?
- It sat wrong.
- It looks like the heat wave will be over by the time the Fest starts.
- Spark has the heat situation figured out:
[quote]I will have womyn-made neck coolers available for barter, in a variety of prints. Come see me in DART downtown. Ask for Alex or look for the Red Tent.
- All FAABs and genetic womon shall be identified with a beaded talisman to be worn across their life-giving breasts. Talismans are available at the communal pottery kilns.
All formerly penised persons and womyn imposters shall be banished from The Land and identified with yellow phallus shaped badges.
- That post by Amy is disturbing. I dunno why but it bugs me.
- Michfest is just two days away!
I'm pre-stating my boundaries as I type!
- "Also, my son will not be able to eat any of the fest lunches, I fear."
Why hasn't anyone suggested letting him starve to death?!? One less future hate-raper!!!
- The Lesbian Tent Revival Schedule has been posted!!!
[quote]Wednesday Intensive: “Lesbian Genders: Our Journeys with Our C*****” This is a radical exploration of genders within our beloved community, and how heterosexual culture attempts to impersonate or appropriate them. Sisters will be invited to testify about how our healing journeys to reclaim our sexuality and our sexual organs has empowered us in our identities.
[quote]Saturday: “The Incredibly Empowering History of Incest Denial in the West” Empowering because each and every woman's experience of herself as a woman has been affected by these national campaigns to explain away the ongoing epidemic of incest. [bold]The absolute insanity of patriarchy desperate to cover its tracks, from toilet seats to False Memory Syndrome. Sisters, this is all of our histories.[/bold]
- I'm on a Cuntular jurney as I type.
- [quote]All FAABs and genetic womon shall be identified with a beaded talisman to be worn across their life-giving breasts.
Not all of us still have our breasts! I proudly wear my scars from my elective double mastectomy. I didn't have breast cancer, but my mother had a few abnormal cells, so I thought it best to lop them off pre-emptively. I feel like an Amazon warrior priestess!
- [quote]The absolute insanity of patriarchy desperate to cover its tracks, from toilet seats to False Memory Syndrome.
I don't understand. Toilet seats? And how is False Memory Syndrome a tool of the patriarchy?
- [quote]I will have womyn-made neck coolers available for barter
Also known as vagina capes.
- Amy's post is so brazenly manipulative and overwrought, needy, and exhausting to read. Also annoying. There are ways either through the organizers or in the Michfest Forum to get subsidized if you can show need. She's trying to show that she's exceptionally worthy of more. This narcissist needs Michfest like everyone needs air.
- Did someone start this thread about our fave Denise Eaker?
- The response by Babs to Amy's post is very good. Especially the warning that working the Fest is a very different experience than attending it.
- I suspect that "toilet seats" is nothing more than a reference to the fact that most toilet seats in public toilets are required to be horseshoe shaped to accommodate men peeing standing up. Covering ones tracks, indeed.
- Let the incense- it's TODAY!
Though it may not be anyone's birthday and though it's far from the first of the year, I'd say that this very minute has herstory in it- we're queer!!!
- "And now, joining us on the night stage- and would the woman up front please stop twirling around in that godawful cape- we give you Esther. Hoffman. Howard."
- "...we give you Esther. Hoffman. Howard."
With... one... more... look at you
I could learn to haterape the clouds and let the brother sun shine through...
Babs' Liberated Three-Piece Suit
- [quote]Weren't the watermelons moved because either pantsless womyn sat on them, or could have sat on them? And there were sanitary concerns? I could be wrong.
This is why there's no watermelon tree at Fest: Unwrapped coochies contaminating the watermelons!
Won't someone think of the watermelons?
- There'd be no need to pickle the watermelon rind after all the pantsless women sat on them.
- I wish 'fest had a live webcam feed.
- Praise be.
- [quote]I wish 'fest had a live webcam feed.
Why? So you could hate-rape the wimmin internetically?
- My eyes! Those workboots!
I've seen their facebook pics before, but they're always worth a fresh look:
- The one bad thing about Fest actually arriving is that postings on the Michfest boards come to a near-complete halt.
Here's a glimpse inside the Shigella-Nutloaf Tent:
- This week they're gonna party like it's Nineteen-Seventy-Five!
- Is nut loaf actually nice? It looks vaguely like Christmas cake.
- This is supposed to be an artistic rendering of a 70-foot vagina?
Looks like a bunch of red and brown tarps to me.
- Fabfeminists is excited about her new venture, but drummerchris wants her to know that if you're planning to walk through the woods, all plans and procedures must be followed to the letter:
[quote]Join us for the first Michfest Feminist March, a parade of fabulous feminists who are anti-oppression, pro-choice, pro-peace and excited for this chance to remind people of the continuing importance of feminism. March kicks off 10:30am Thursday from Triangle. Bring a drum, a sign, or just you and your voice! Make herstory!
[quote]May I assume this has been cleared with powers-that-be for coordinating road traffic, etc? Other parades, processionals, struts, etc., follow this procedure. There's lots of vehicle traffic that would need some planning...
Will additional rules and regulations become necessary?
- When one of our adventurous lesbians attends Michfest next year, my only request is that she keep a running count of the number of rules and regulations they run across during their stay on The Land. I've followed Michfest threads here for about five or six years, and each year has a whole new crop of them "necessitated" by circumstances.
If one were to think about it on a stroll through the encampment, there must be reams worth if they were properly written and codified.
- "A parade of fabulous feminists who are anti-oppression, pro-choice, pro-peace and excited for this chance to remind people of the continuing importance of feminism."
Nothing says herstory like a bunch of feminists walking through a bunch of feminists bleating the importance of feminism in the middle of the woods.
- drummerchris sounds like a blast.
How much vehicle traffic is there? She makes it sound like the Cross Bronx Expressway.
Most likely the parade will only be one person anyhow.
- The famous recipe for nutloaf can be found at the link, along with the following notation:
[quote]The respiratory therapist who instructed me on the use of my new CPAP machine, upon learning I was interested in vegetarian recipes, RAVED about this recipe, promising to send it to me.
- If OP is caught posting to this haterape site whilst on the Land, she could be in danger!
- "A parade of fabulous feminists who are anti-oppression, pro-choice, pro-peace and excited for this chance to remind people of the continuing importance of feminism."
Sounds like it's somebody's first year at the Fest.
- Please do not use the "B-word" on the Internets. Lil children may be reading this. I realize that they aren't supposed to but sometimes kiddies can be a naughty and do things wrong.
I thank you for your help on your otherwise fine website
- Do they have a "Fun Free" zone at Michfest?
- [quote]Do they have a "Fun Free" zone at Michfest?
I believe it's called the Land.
- [quote]Unwrapped coochies contaminating the watermelons!
Yes, but it sure did keep the flies off the watermelons.
- Wonder if there have any been fistights at MichFest.
Anybody have any stories about the dark side?
- Did Amy ever make it to Michfest? Did she get her need to go back to The Land realized? Did she weep in the dirt?
- Yes she did r256.
I was going to copy and paste postings from her saga but they were spread out across so many different websites that it was too exhausting of a prospect.
Long story short, after some generous benefactor purchased her a Fest ticket, she then asked for a rideshare (from California!) because she couldn't afford gas.
Ultimately someone gave her a free airline ticket.
Then she asked for a ride from the airport to the Land.
Then she asked if someone would swing by Hart Pizza with her before Fest. (Unclear if she was willing to buy her own pizza -- she said "I only need one slice!")
Then she asked if someone could bring an air mattress for her. She has a sensitive back.
Then she asked if someone could bring a chair for Night Stage for her.
Did I mention that her airplane ticket was only ONE-WAY and that she plans to hustle for return ticket funds while she's at Fest?!!?
- Please tell me you're kidding, R257.
- Sounds like our little Amy is a con artist of the highest order.
- Ya gotta admire her hootspah
- I want to read Amy's heartfelt rant about how she needs, desires, prays she can get back home.
- This Amy is probably laughing herself to sleep on her air mattress.
- Uh-oh. The boards are quiet, but there is a weather report...
[quote]Well, it is raining on the Land and has been since mid last night. I'd be enjoying the serenity that comes over fest sometimes when it is a gentle rain. However, I'm not missing the near-constant dampness that everything you own then gets! I'm sending warm and dry energy to our sisters!
- Can I just point out that for, what, two years now flakey lesbians have claimed they were going to Michfest as DL spies and then backed out?
MRMU is the worst of the bunch. She's a total and complete flake.
- It seems like every year r264, someone claims they will go but don't.
- R257's post of Amy's escapades sounds like Lesbian Stone Soup.
- I agree, r264, MRMU is a flake. Do any of these people have any follow through?
- Since there's been a lot of rain, is Amy going to ask people for other ways to compensate her?
- I was really hoping MRMU or one of our other "up for it" lesbians would have attended this year.
There's always next year.
- [quote]It seems like every year [R264], someone claims they will go but don't.
Because after thinking it through she realizes you'd have to be out your fucking mind to deal with that insanity?
What great fun: living with rules that wouldn't be out of place at San Quentin and hearing women (sorry, womyn) speak as if they're the demented "sisters" most of us avoided back in the day. Then there's the mud, the bugs, and the "food."
For most of us lezzies, snacking on nut loaf while watching a Butch Strut will be a million miles away from a bucket list.
That said, the womyn are enjoying themselves and don't harm anybody - although the Amy The Hustler may rip off a few people - so what the hell.
- From other people accounts r271, there's a difference between the michfest board members and the rest of the event members. I've seen many women say it was fun.
- I'm a woman and I'd be tempted to go, but it's not the rules stopping me. I'm good at ignoring rules when they inconvinience me.
The festival is in the fucking upper midwest in the summer! I'd never be able to take the heat, humidity, and blood-sucking insects.
- We need to cut down all the leering pine trees. They are shaped like rape and damage.
- Queer Fat Femme recently posted some pics from 2011. "About four days into the Festival I realized I had hardly seen any half-naked or scantily clad fat Femmes roaming the Land. There had been plenty of thinner Femmes wearing just bras and panties or whatever lingerie but hardly any fats. I wanted it to change and I realized I needed to be the change I wanted to see."
- QFF is a real-life friend of mine, and a good egg. She's written some pretty good (and funny) pieces about Michfest, and I always enjoy seeing her.
- Thanks for posting the link, R275. It gave me a vicarious Fest experience.
I can see why the womyn keep going back.
BTW, QFF does come off as "a good egg", R276.
- Can't wait till the wymmyn get back from the Land and start posting about their experiences!
What if there weren't enough outlets for all the CPAP machines?
What if knives that touched cilantro were used to cut the nutloaf, aggravating the cilantro-sensitive?
What if a Fat womon found she wasn't useful on garbage detail after all?
What if telling you NOW so I don't have to tell you THEN didn't work, and she had to tell her THEN?
- Bears repeating from 2010:
Do NOT place your tent within ten feet of my tent. Do NOT do it. Do NOT even think about it. If I return to my fresh new carefully selected campsite to see that I am sharing a wall with a neighbor, I will move your tent for you. No ifs and or buts.
I am telling you NOW so I do not have to tell you THEN.
Do NOT play music on the Land that features male singing voices.
Do NOT do it.
I cannot tell you how many times I have had to remind womyn of this rule over the years. Sometimes not very nicely. There is nothing worse than hearing a man's voice when you are snug in your Fest tent late at night and think you are safe from violence.
Do NOT use regular drugstore shampoo in the showers. It is not biodegradable.
Do NOT do it.
- [quote] There is nothing worse than hearing a man's voice when you are snug in your Fest tent late at night and think you are safe from violence.
That's really sad. I don't how that person functions in the real world.
- Qff is cute why don't all fat chicks look like her?
- [quote]Can I just point out that for, what, two years now flakey lesbians have claimed they were going to Michfest as DL spies and then backed out?
You're right. But honestly, MRMU had a valid reason - and so do I. Thanks R271. I was planning to go, but life happens and I just can't make the trip this year.
- Join me in a chorus of "Ode to a Gym Teacher," won't you?
- I love reading the Michfest threads and was disappointed when I realized I'd reached the last page of this one.
- I just picture Amy stranded in the wilds of Michigan, trying to get home.
- Camp Trans organizer Gemma Seymour posts pics of the "walking stick" she carried at the perimeter of Michfest. It has a big ol' knife on the end of it, and the womyn-born-womyn feel threatened.
- FeistyAmazon is tired of having to "endure" transsexual energy, and she is speaking with ANGRY POWER!
[quote]Once the owner allowed full transition MTF’s into the women’s bathhouse in SF, there were times I had to endure their energy in the communal hottub. It was as you say it was….once their mouths open, that scratchy voice, that oneupmanship, and that sexual invasion with the eyes. I don’t care that the body appeared somewhat female(never the right curves though, and always a scar by the belly where the surgery was done). It was the ENERGY. It’s the ENERGY at a women only ritual which is changed by the presence of even one, at a women’s event, on women’s/lesbian land, ect. ect. Just one is enough to taint EVERYTHING, cuz inevitably, eventuallly, the attention will turn to them, and to the ‘getting off’ on everyone else’s female energy(doesn’t matter if you’re butch, femme or inbetween or neither, just born female), it’s a form of born male psychic vampirism.
- [quote]Just one is enough to taint EVERYTHING.
What's she getting so upset about? She doesn't even have to look at their taints if she doesn't want to.
- I love how she utilizes her (unapologetic, unexamined) transphobia to excuse her psychotic hatred of anything male and her own self-styled victim hood.
When will we/they ever learn?
They aren't hurting anybody.
They are happy.
They feel loved.
Why the hate? Leave them alone.
- Sorry, but lots of people think trans is a mental disorder and shouldn't be treated with an expensive temporary physical transformation. It isn't trans phobia.
- Fest is over, and reports are trickling in!
In the thread entitled "You know you just left Fest when...", Bethsnewlife details her first post-Fest run-in with a penised person.
Spoiler: It ended in victimization!
"My first non-fest encounter was at a gas station in Toledo. A man who either didn't see me or didn't care slammed the door into me hard enough that I have a huge, black bruise on my wrist today. It seemed to be a fitting reintroduction into society."
- Classic, r293.
- Really liked Queer Fat Femme's web summary and photos. She writes and looks fun.
- Just reading R293 triggered me! I need healing, systren!
- You probably won't be able to bear this long enough to get there, so I'll inform you that this song includes the lyrics "Scratchin' my titties on a path in Michigan."
- So they actually believe that men cut off their dicks so they can gain entry to womon-only spaces and destroy them?
- Bevin (Queer Fat Femme) tries some Womb Tea made by witches.
- Did Denise make it this year?
- Any woman can be lesbian
- Yep, Denise went this year, but there was no bus. She begged for a ride out of Cape Girardeau and got one (scroll down).
- I was also verbally raped by a penised gas station attendant who asked me if I wanted the oil checked. I stated my boundaries in my power voice.
- Hopefully she wasn't in CG when the hate crime went down.
- [quote]My first non-fest encounter was at a gas station in Toledo. A man who either didn't see me or didn't care slammed the door into me hard enough that I have a huge, black bruise on my wrist today.
Translation: A man parked 20 yards away from me and proceeded to slam his car door. The sound had the effect of a male lion emitting a mighty roar, asserting his dominion over every creeping thing, and sucking all the joy of Fest right out of me. As a result of this act of male psychic vampirism, I feel as though I have a huge, black bruise on my soul, but my wrist is fine.
- I'm sorry - but women are simply gross. I don't hate them, I just want nothing to do with them and all of their various weirdities.
- You're an idiot, R307.
Women are "gross", really?
Are you 7 years old and just learned the icky facts of life?
- It appears that, based on Denise's reading, she's clean...hopefully no more smokin', drivin' and fondlin' for her.
- [quote]My first non-fest encounter was at a gas station in Toledo. A man who either didn't see me or didn't care slammed the door into me hard enough that I have a huge, black bruise on my wrist today.
Translation: I have fibro.
- That link at R287 ... hoo boy.
- R308 - yes. I'm a seven year old boy. You nailed it, toots.
Women are smart, amazing, powerful, etc - and also, gross.
- "born male psychic vampirism" I have to try and work this into a conversation between now and Monday.
- "I pointed out how crazy they were for believing that a t-shirt was more dangerous than a penis. Alice admitted that he had talked about his penis inappropriately but then dismissed his actions, saying that he is always hearing from women who 'claim to be triggered' on the rape crisis line that he volunteers on, but that apparently all these women are just being neurotic and exaggerating (words to that effect). It is unfortunate that one of the women he traumatized last year was unable to come back this year because she does not consider the space to be safe after what happened last year."
- "I'm not asking you, I'm telling you: you can't come. You can't come. Don't come. Stay away. Respect the intention. Respect our difference. Real women recognize diversity and honor it."
- "And I'll tell you this. At the closing ceremony on the acoustic stage, where the woo was in full effect, I had to go to the bathroom. Something in me could not turn my back to use my p-style. Some force in me commanded that I release my bladder in a way respectful to where I was. So I squatted, like the woman I am, among women and connected to my feral femaleness and the mother earth and felt the connection that women have to each other."
- Did Amy get home safely?
- r316's link is GOLD. (Liquid gold.)
[quote]Every woman and girl knows what it is to hold our water until there is somewhere SAFE for us to relieve ourselves. This is something all females understand: the vulnerability of being easy prey simply from urinating outdoors.
- [Quote]Quite a few of us women went up to Alice and asked him to leave. I think that we made the men on the land feel incredibly unwelcome and uncomfortable this year. I feel very positive and happy about that.
What a dysfunctional group.
- As crazy as their views on men and trans people are, the fact remains that the Land is private property and the organizers have the right to remove people.
- Bugbrennan states her boundaries:
THAT LANGUAGE IS THE LANGUAGE OF TRUTH. TRANS WOMEN ARE MALE, AND YOU HAVE A MALE VIOLENCE PROBLEM. IT IS YOUR RESPONSIBILITY TO DEAL WITH IT, NOT OURS.
Women owe you nothing. You deny OUR experiences and OUR boundaries.
- Did anyone yell "MAN ON THE LAND!"? I *demand* to see YouTube footage of this.
- R264, can you really blame them for backing out, though? I can't blame them at all.
- Did they have the cheeseball contest again this year?
I simply must know!
- Video of the confrontation between wbw and trans women at the NYC Dyke Parade. Lots of screaming and drama.
- Does that woman at R324 have a single breast?
- This is why this sort of thing deserves ridicule. This isn't a healing center of anything - it's a chance for people who feel like victims to make other people victims and somehow feel good about it. Seriously fucked up nonsense. I don't care how much craft art you make while you're taking out your bullshit on someone else, this makes you a horrible ball of total shit.
- Shrieking lesbians. Gosh, you just don't see enough of those in this world.
- God, those people are insufferable, R325.
This is all I hear:
Pick a little, talk a little, pick a little, talk a little. Cheep cheep cheep, talk a lot, pick a little more
Pick a little, talk a little, pick a little, talk a little. Cheep cheep cheep, talk a lot, pick a little more
Pick a little, talk a little, pick a little, talk a little. Cheep cheep cheep, talk a lot, pick a little more
Pick a little, talk a little, pick a little, talk a little. Cheep cheep cheep cheep cheep cheep cheep cheep
- I'm telling you NOW so I don't have to tell you THEN - I hope your car flips over.
- r327 pretty much sums it up for me.
- Hashing out the unpleasantness at the Dyke March: "She continued to pile on hate-filled rant after hate-filled rant, to the point that, after I decided to leave before it escalated any worse than it already had, I went to my friends and immediately broke down, sobbing hysterically, dealing with a panic attack. If anyone was harassing anyone, it was Cathy Brennan and her delusional diatribes in which she invalidated the existence of the people I love, triggered several other people to the point of tears, and played the victim while doing it."
- wtf is "cisgender"??
- R329 advocates DIRTY BOOKS! Chaucer, Rabelais!
But not Balzac because it would be a trigger for too many wimmin on the land.
- "wtf is 'cisgender'??"
Anyone who hasn't transitioned, I think. But many of the wbw don't like the term because the trans people started it.
- Whenever I see a penised person or non-natal womom I am triggered into panic attacks and histrionic fits.
- That CUNT running that blog at R321's link is crazy. If she's really an attorney she must be an ambulance chaser.
- Cisgender is anyone whose biological/genetic sex matches the gender they identify as. So basically anyone who isn't trans/has gender identity disorder/gender confused/hijra, etc.
It's a term the trans community came up with so there was an objective term for both, rather than using terms like "real man/woman" or "biological man/woman" or "normal man/woman" to describe non-trans people.
- omg, thanks for the explanation, r338, but god damn that makes my head hurt. what does the "cis" come from/mean exactly?
- Cis is Latin for 'on the same side'. There are tons of words in chemistry that have cis as a prefix.
- Amy the Michfest Grifter is back!
She borrowed the money to get home from some systers at the Fest with the agreement that she would pay them back before she left the Land, but it felt "disrespectful" to raise money there, so she vamoosed before paying them back.
Now she has a PayPal. Won't you help her out?
[quote]Unfortunately though, I hit one major financial snag. My plane got delayed on the way to Fest causing me to miss waiting in line and the chance to raise the money I needed to get home. Once on The Land, womyn had already been so kind, I just didn't feel right asking for anything more in a monetary sense. It felt disrespectful to me while I was on The Land. No judgement to anyone who did fundraise at Fest, but it just didn't feel right to me in my current situation. But now the very real fact smacking me in the face is that I did NOT raise the hundreds needed to get home. Now I am home, but owe some womyn who gave to me so thoughtfully but with the agreement that I would raise the money at Fest and pay them back. However without a job, and wondering how I will pay for food or rent, I am at a loss to make it up to these angel helpers of mine and it is breaking my heart.
[quote]Again, I really hate to ask for anything more as the gifts I received have been so many already and Mich magic followed me everywhere I went. But if you were someone who heard my story at Fest and it brought a smile to your face about the kindness of the space, or you have a few bucks leftover from eating a few less ice cream bars when it rained, or maybe you are having a re-entry party in your community and could put out a donation jar, any small amount would help immensely because as I found out, small acts of kindness whether monetary or otherwise quickly grow. And while the money is technically for me, it is to pay back those who have helped. ... However, If you are called to help me in any way, I'd be ever so grateful. If you'd like to donate, I set up a PayPal account for my Mich Fest fundraising purposes. Just register or login, click send money, then the personal tab, then "gift" and send it to me via my email amymediadiva at gmail dot com.
- I think TLC or Bravo should do a reality show about Fest, Denise and r341's grifter. MUCH more (or at least as) entertaining than the Big Fay American Gypsy wedding or any other white trash shows they currently program.
- Agreed completely, r342!
- Amy has posted her grift all over the forums in multiple threads. Everything but the womynsbloodhounds snappin' at her Birkenstocks...
[quote]This was my 12th Fest! I attended 1999-2009, but I missed 2010-11 due to longterm unemployment, personal health issues & almost losing my 11 year old nephew to an extremely rare brain disorder. But the past few months have been particularly trying including the loss of my 15 year old beloved cat, Ophelia in April, my Mom's breast cancer diagnosis & mastectomy in May. My own week-long hospitalization in June followed three days later by my Father's sudden death. All heartbreaking and expensive, I am sad to say. Many outside of the Mich community couldn't understand why I would ask for donations to take a "vacation" at such a time. But you, my sisters, understood this wasn't a "vacation," it was survival!
[quote]Again, I really hate to ask for anything more as the gifts I received, monetary and otherwise, from $20 to good talks [bold]to dry sweatpants[/bold], have already been so many already and Mich magic followed me everywhere I went.
- Uhm, if she were a true angel, she'd just identify the womyn who gave her the money and let people pay those ladies back directly!
- God, that is one drama-filled dyke.
- I would love to see a photo of Amy/
- Lesbians, is it just me, or does nutty blogger Cathy (Bug) Brennan look pretty hot in her Facebook profile pic?
- r348: No.
- It's just you. (speaking for myself.)
- I kind of love how 46 people have viewed Amy's plea for money and not one has replied...
- Well, now she changed her profile pic. This was the one I was talking about.
- In her bathroom with her pet rat. Real cute.
- It looks like a squirrel to me.
- She seems insane, to boot. (And kind of ugly.) So, no.
- Okay, WTF is this woman wearing?
I stumbled across this when googling Michfest pictures.
- Looks like a bejeweled breast cast, r356.
- ...would you hang it on a wall?
- So she borrows money, and to pay back, she needs more people to just GIVE her money?!
What a cunt!
- Hilarious if one of those "Nigerian princes" e-mailed Amy. She'd reverse scam him for every penny he had.
- she would, she would.
- [quote]Looks like a bejeweled breast cast
Aah! But of COURSE that's what it is!
*slaps hand to forehead*
- That video argument just confirmed every unfortunate prejudice I have about transpeople.
Isn't a man transitioning to a woman dyke just a heterosexual in denial? And given the famously anti-male sentiment in the radical lesbian community isn't it kind of pointless of them? Are they just addicted to the drama of being an outsider? Is it a coincidence that as gay has become less 'special' the number of transpeople has increased?
All this shit just confuses gender issues with sexuality ones. Their wagon needs to be unhooked from ours.
I know proper transexuals exist, and I salute them in their struggle. But I'm pretty sure the majority of those transitioning nowadays just needed more time with a therapist *cough* Chaz Bono *cough* to come to terms with being gay.
As for the ones transitioning to be gay in a different gender... just what is the point of that? Are they just disappointed with their heterosexuality or what?
- Making popcorn whilst waiting for responses to R363.
And how did you become "pretty sure" about "most"?
- "I sat in with Amy Ray and her band on cajon, played a little shekere with Sista's, rehearsed and performed an entire set with Mazzmuse on percussion and improvised shekere with Kate Rigg while she blew a Michfest-based freestyle from words shouted by the crowd that included 'labia' and 'kerfuffle' (thanks to Melissa York) which she masterfully rhymed."
- "i understand and have seen the emotional and too often physical wounds patriarchy has inflicted on many womyn born womyn. and i have read in horror too many incidents of butch or masculine-presenting women who were born women and still identify as women, who come to fest as the one place they can be themselves and be seen as women, be harassed and questioned about their gender on the land. that is unacceptable."
- Tinyfeminist had a crush, a fling and then "abandonment issues." Every girl's dream Michfest:
[quote]In that true lesbian way, I got myself into something super intense which was over just as quickly as it started, which brought up abandonment issues for me that I then sorted through with another amazing woman going through similar things. This woman had been an advisor to me in college and, through Michfest, I now have the opportunity to form a new, strong friendship with her.
- It was liberating to squat down in front of a group of womon and urinate into the mossy earth. I then wiped with an oak leaf, dried it, and placed it in my "Michfest memory book."
- What bizarre alien creatures. How do you endure their womynly effluvia?
Glebulon-5 of Zaxmat
- Cheese Ball Contest update!
"yesterday my aunt was telling me how she went to a festival that basically had only lesbians at it and how there was a contest for who could hold the most cheese puff balls under their boobs
the winner was 56"
- oh dear lord. can you imagine the sight!
- "What's up with the RadiKKKal 'feminists' and their off the charts hatemongering lately?...Maybe they're upset because reputable venues like Conway Hall won't host their London convention hatefest and the only places they can discriminate against us are places they own like 'The Land' in Hart, MI.
Or maybe what is chapping their white sheet wearing behinds is that everywhere they turn, there is a story about transwomen winning all over the world despite their over thirty year failed efforts to pimp their disco era lies about us and prevent trans human rights from happening.
Sucks to be y'all doesn't it?"
- It is true that the wrong side of history argument that applies to anti-gays who would deny us marriage rights, can also increasingly be attached to radical feminists who get SOOOO worked-up about trans-women....
- Oh, the huwomynity!
[quote]My understanding was that there were 3300 women on the land this year. That included workers. I know there is a wrap up meeting where the final numbers are discussed. So, if anyone has better "exact" figures, feel free to respond. Also, the talk is that next year WILL happen. However, if the numbers do not come up substantially (4000 is the target number), then there may not be a fest after 2013. Here are some ideas:
#1 Pre-pay for your ticket, if you are able and go higher on the scale.
#2 Buy your ticket from FEST. I know we try to help each other out and buy tickets from people that are unable to make it, but we are now trying to insure the viability of a fest at all.
#3 Start saving now so that you CAN pay full price and/or avoid needing the reduced rate, IF YOU ARE ABLE.
#4 Just BE THERE in 2013!
#5 Invite anyone and everyone that you think would be impacted by Fest.
#6 Fill out your FEEDBACK FORMS. Consider what you could do without.
#7 Utilize the installment payment plan that Fest has even if you do not NEED to. It gives organizers a sneak-peak to fest attendance AND an early flow of cash/funds.
Are the organizers getting tired of running Fest? What will become of Fest after next year? Will no one follow CrazyDenise's plan to get more wimmin to the land?
- Their numbers might come up a bit if they weren't so transphobic.
How much is Michfest? I can't blame people for wanting to wait if they know there's a reduced rate and that the fest won't sell out.
- I guess they pay the performers? I thought they were so into it they did it for free...
- Jeez, there's like no demand for this thing anymore. I mean, 3300 womyn out of millions of lesbians in America? But I guess I'm a patriarchal, capitalist pig for pointing that out.
- oh they're a dying breed alright.
- I would consider going if there weren't so many over-the-top rules! Yes, among the thousands of songs I have on my mp3 player, there are MANY written and performed by men;I don't believe anyone at a music festival should care. Also, I would not relish being interrogated about the shampoos/soaps/hygiene items I would use. I always wear scented deodorants. and I wear perfume--I wouild hate to be kicked off "the land" because my expensive scents 'triggered' a 'sensitive' womon! It all seems like too much hassel.
- Yeah, from what I read from these posts and the forums, paying for a ticket to Michfest is something you would only do if you want a Synanon-like experience from the 1960s.
- What is "woo"? Does anybody know? Thanks!
- Tickets are roughly $100/day. There's a sliding scale.
"woo" is the feeling a womyn gets while on the land, communing with her systers, in a penis-free environment(strap-ons notwithstanding). It's an "I scream with ANGRY POWER" feeling, a feeling that for 1 wk, the chances of being virtually hate-raped by the patriarchy are slim-to-none.
- Amy is starting to piss me off.
What a sneak. I'll bet she's a liar.
And I have no idea what the hell she's talking about by not eating ice cream bars if it rains. Is that a lost verse of MacArthur Park?
- I am not joking, r385, when i say that i remember a thread on the michfest forum not that many years ago where there was a small debate raging about a sex workshop tent having dildos, and of course there were womyn up in arms about 'no penis substitutes on the land!!'
- And by the way, does anybody wanna buy me a boat? For healing purposes.
- [quote]Start saving now so that you CAN pay full price and/or avoid needing the reduced rate, IF YOU ARE ABLE.
What if you are [italic]differently[/italic] able? Tell me NOW so you do not have to tell me LATER.
- WOO=Womyn Occupied Orgasm
- It was too hot this year, for most of the summer leading up to the Fest. Also, the big name performers...well, where are they? People don't live for music anymore. They need to really expand their non-music components to catch today's youth.
- Damn it, "Lavender Janes Loves Women" is as relevant now as it was 40 years ago!!!! Who needs new music?
- And don't forget me and my belly-bowl!
- I was snarking in the above post, but it got me thinking ...and I actually DO think Ferron's Testimony stands up. I just downloaded it from iTunes. So. There you have it. An embarrassing admission.
I wouldn't want any Holly Near or any other seminal lesbian tunes, but that one CD is pretty damn good.
- [quote]I wouldn't want any Holly Near or any other seminal lesbian tunes
Really, r395??? SEMINAL?!??!?!?!?
I have been hateraped by your comment!
- Yes R326 the woman in R324's pic does have one boob. It's a medical condition known by it's acronym VSBD. It comes from years of wearing those bras that push the boobs together, after years of wearing these bras eventually the breast tissue grows together forming one breast. That's why it's called Victoria's Secret Breast Disorder. It's the true and nasty "secret" behind Victoria's Secret.
- So, it's not okay for them to *hear* male voices, but it's okay to sing songs *written* by the penised?
- Michfest is dying because of its failure to come to terms with the present and adapt accordingly. The entire format is in dire need of a revamp. The middle-aged old-school granola dykes who comprise the bulk of the current audience are a disappearing breed, and most of them will be too old to go to festivals in another ten years.
Getting rid of the ban on trans folk is one step. Taking strides to appeal to younger dykes is another. Not saying it should turn into a lesbian Ozzfest, but it does need to shed some of its 1970s earthmotherwombthyme skin.
- Either they don't know how to advertise, or they just won't do it because it's not PC. But they'd better so something, because this thing is on life support.
- Advertising wounds.
- "The janes are a kind of festival bulletin board where craftswomen, performers and organizers of every stripe post their notices. My flyers remind women who I am – singer-songwriter-parking lot attendant – and where they can buy my CDs. (I don't really park cars. Mama said I should have something to fall back on.) This year's flyer also said I once shook Melissa Etheridge's hand. Over the next few days a couple of women asked to touch the same hand..."
- Womyn's Music Fact of the Day:
The late hip-hop producer Jaylib sampled Cris Williamson's "Shine On Straight Arrow" on his song "The Red." Ms. Williamson was not pleased.
- Quick off topic correction to R404 's post.
Jaylib is two people. Madlib and J Dilla.
Dilla died in 2006 from TTP, a rare blood disease,and Lupus.
Madlib is still alive and making music.
Jaylib's album, Champion Sound, is one of the best hip-hop albums out there, if you are into more mellow stuff like the Native Tongues collective.,
I did not think there was anything worse than
the nonstop "womyn" bashing on DL.
A non dramatic dyke exists on DL?
This Michfest thing terrifies me equally.
I'm dropping the whole lipstck lesbian thing.