All Threads by Date
Mitt Romney's Maids' Salary Raises Questions
WASHINGTON -- For a woman with three houses and sixteen grandkids, Ann Romney doesn't have very much help around the house, according to her 2010 tax return.
IRS forms released Tuesday by Mitt Romney's presidential campaign show that despite reporting income of $21.7 million, the couple paid only $20,603 in taxable wages for household help in 2010. This figure was divided among four women: Rosania Costa ($4,808), Kelli Harrison ($8,667), Susan Moore ($2,238) and Valerie Cravens Anae ($4,890).
According to a number of Boston-based domestic staffing agencies, the salary range for a housekeeper is between $20 and $30 an hour, which adds up to an annual salary of $40,000 to $50,000 based on forty-hour weeks and two weeks of paid vacation a year.
But this number is only for one house, and the Romneys have three houses -- a 2,000 sq. ft. townhouse in Belmont, Mass., a 5,400 sq. ft. lake house on 11 acres in Wolfeboro, N.H., and a beach house in La Jolla, Calif., that is undergoing renovations to double its size.
Even if the Romneys avoided spending time in La Jolla in 2010, they spent plenty of time in New Hampshire, with regular visits in the summer from five sons and their families.
Yet the Romneys still paid only half of the lowest range of an average housekeeper's salary, which raises the question of who cleaned the Romney houses the other 50 percent of the time. A Romney campaign adviser declined to respond to questions from The Huffington Post about the housekeeping salaries.
Wouldn't it be nice to learn that the Romneys split up household cleaning between them on days when the housekeeper was out? After all, Mitt Romney was "unemployed" in 2010, as he infamously reminded a group of voters in Tampa, so he had some extra time. And Mitt even knows how to do laundry, according to a photo tweeted Monday by his son Tagg Romney.
The more worrisome alternative is that the Romneys underpaid their household help.
The Massachusetts Coalition of Domestic Workers holds a meeting on the third Tuesday of every month to work towards passage of a statewide Bill of Rights for domestic workers, but so far their efforts have fallen short.
UPDATE: 5:27 p.m. -- At least one of the four women paid for domestic work by the Romney family in 2010 also worked as chief of staff to the executive director of Mitt Romney's Free and Strong America PAC at the same time.
Kelli Harrison was paid wages of $8,667 by the Romneys for personal assistant-type tasks and errands, said a source with knowledge of the situation. Harrison was the most highly paid of the four women listed as domestic employees of the Romney family, and the other three women did not work for the Romney PAC at all, the source confirmed. Harrison was paid for her PAC work with PAC funds.
The designation of household employees is broad, and can include housekeepers, baby-sitters, personal assistants and other house-related tasks. It's possible that the Romney's hired an outside cleaning service to clean their houses and that managed the payroll, but the campaign declined to elaborate on their arrangement. Given the private nature of jobs like these, most high-profile individuals prefer to maintain their own staffs of people who know them well and who they trust.
Another employee, Valerie Cravens Anae, may be the same woman whose Facebook profile indicates that she attended the Mormon-affiliated Brigham Young University. Anae was paid $4,890 in taxable wages for domestic work at the Romney house in 2010.
The campaign declined to specify whether Harrison was still working for the Romney family personally. The other two women listed as domestic employees, Susan Moore and Rosania Costa, could not be located.
- Noo, nooo... Meester, he not home...
- LOL r1.
- [quote]According to a number of Boston-based domestic staffing agencies, the salary range for a housekeeper is between $20 and $30 an hour, which adds up to an annual salary of $40,000 to $50,000 based on forty-hour weeks and two weeks of paid vacation a year.
I'm no fan of Romney, but this article is a crock of shit. Yes, Romney's rich. No, that doesn't mean he maintains full-time staff. In fact, I don't think I know anyone rich -- and yes, that includes people with incomes in the seven- and eight-figure range, like Mitt -- who has full-time help these days, unless they have a young kid and hire a full-time nanny (which, to be fair, many dual-income non-millionaire professional households do as well). At most they have a cleaning lady come by twice a week. And $30/hour? Bitch, please. I don't know anyone who pays more than $20/hour, and it's usually more like $15 if you go the, um, undocumented route.
- maybe he just gave them a little bag of peanuts
- Did any of the maids bake a shit pie?
- you're a Godless man Mr. Romney
- No surprise that a Mormon is a cheap ass slave driver.
- he has ten secret wives that do all of the housework
- train your kids right and you'll never have to do, or hire someone to do, household chores again
- I have 2 friends in a small town in texas who work together and make $25.00/hour. The romneys could have afforded to pay more than they did...typical rich people. They could have hired a bunch of women and given them jobs!
- This can't be true. Susan Moore has been dead for years.
- R3, you don't know if Romney does or doesn't maintain a full-time staff. They may not, but with multiple houses, there's something off about all this.
You don't really think Ann Romney is scrubbing floors, do you?
- Even part time help should be making more than that.
- It is likely a scam to avoid taxes. Pay a little on the books and the rest off the books.
- Maybe they use a cleaning service...you know like Merry Maids.
I am not a Romney fan nor a Republican but some of this stuff is really getting assinine.
Now eating dogs is another matter.
- [quote]I don't know anyone who pays more than $20/hour, and it's usually more like $15 if you go the, um, undocumented route.
That's one of the points of the article. Did the Romneys have people getting paid cash under the table?
Did they have undocumented workers?
We know they had a lawn care service that used undocumented workers, did they also have a maid service?
If everything they did was legal and ethical, they should have no problem releasing the information.
Just like the details of the Swiss and Cayman bank accounts. If there was nothing illegal or unethical, why don't they release the information?
It's not as if they couldn't have foreseen the need to do so, since he's been running for president for five years and ran for the US Senate and the governorship of Massachusetts before that.
- I live in Scottsdale, and pay my housekeeper (she comes alone) $150 for 4-5 hours of work. This is the going rate for an English speaking, legal housekeeper. She comes once a week, so this adds up to $7200 a year, before tips, for housekeeping for TWO people in ONE house. Their numbers simply do not make sense.
- Those are not maids. Those are secretaries who got paid extra do stuff for the Romneys (probably ferrying the grandspawn to daycare and back).
Maids, gardeners, cooks, and all the rest would be paid through a service.
- My only wish (aside from that whole 'world peace' thing) would be a Schwarzenegger-like story about Mitt and one of the maids.
- Clear to me that these are only part-time housekeepers. It's very common to have part-time help. Despite the attempt to smear them as above doing menial tasks, the evidence appears that they actually do things around their own homes. Mitt works in the garden with his sons at their homes, he fixes things in the garage - he's a pretty good dad, and when that comes out, his lead will grow even more. He is NOT pretentious - he may not be "cool" or hip, but he's decent and hardworking.
- [quote]he fixes things in the garage
Um, which garage would that be? Doesn't he have 6 homes? With a car elevator?
- Silly. It's all done by the little Mormon volunteers. At night they practice rituals, and they have classes in the basement for three hours during the day. They get free room and board during their indoctrin...er.. their stay, and in exchange they "help out" around the grounds and the house.
Of course their English as a second language classes take place one hour after dinner and before the readings. Sometimes just for fun, the readins are done in Spanish and people are rewarded or "penalized" depending on their success in the little games. Penalising can be fun, depending on which Romney delivers.
- You people are sad. You know little but assume the worst.
- Thank you R18. Jesus, doesn't anyone on DL have help anymore? Also you pay more if you hire IC's, but it saves on the paperwork hassle.
- What part of 16 grandchildren don't you understand?
Cosette, mopping the floor in her Castle on a Cloud
- Didn't Meg get in trouble for beating her maids, or something like that?
- The rich pople that I know absolutely have household help and at least 1 live-in. It makes their lives run smoothly. Per DL parlance, "This did not happen",
- So that's just the figures for the Boston house. What about the home in New Hampshire and the giant mansion in La Jolla. Certainly those don't clean themselves.
- R20 is off her rocker!
- [quote]Didn't Meg get in trouble for beating her maids, or something like that?
I think they were VPs at Ebay she was beating.
- [quote]He is NOT pretentious
No, he's just a douchebag who makes 10K bets
- It wouldn't surprise me if their household staff are Mormons doing their missionary work. They staff places like Tabernacle Square and give tours. I don't see why this wouldn't be a plum mission oppourtunity for the kids of the Mormon elite. God knows they have enough business and tax acumen to figure out a way to make this look legit.
- She has sister wives that help her with the house work.
- The maids made an average of $2.50 an hour working for the Romneys. The going rate a few years ago was $13 an hour.
- We don't pay ours a penny. They live in the garage. It works out quite nice for them.
- These numbers make no sense.
I know tons of Park Ave. and Westchester County families, and they ALL have a full-time person who helps run the home. Most of these families no longer have children at home, and I would guess most are not as wealthy as the Romneys.
They are either quite humble and everyday, or something's afoot. Are there Mormon "missionaries" helping out? Students? Housekeepers paid "off the books", or do campaign workers double as domestics? Like I said, Mitt and Ann might do it all themselves, but Mrs. Romney would be the first woman I've ever heard of who owned dressage horses who mucked her own stalls!
- [quote]he's a pretty good dad, and when that comes out, his lead will grow even more.
- You are all speculating. Of course they have maids and lots of them. Wouldn't you if you made millions every year. On the other hand, if they don't have maids then they are crazy and anyone who thinks they should be the president and first lady of the United States is crazy too. Nice people , my ass.
- I haven't seen these women,but what if they are wives, covering by being billed for taxes as hired help? I think there may be a lot more multiple wife households than we know about. The really rich don't marry ignorant child brides. And these women have financial security and few demands except keeping silent.
- r39, I am in no way a Mitt supporter, but ANN ROMNEY IS WELL EDUCATED AND IN NO WAY IGNORANT.
That's why if something in the milk at Romney Ranch isn't clean with regard to household help, ie undocumented workers, paying off the books, no taxes paid, etc...; she would be well aware!
- I had a 4,000 sqft house in the mid 90s and had a housekeeper come for 2 hours a week for $25 an hour. That was almost 20 years ago, and there were just two adults in the house.
The Romney kids hardly need a nanny now, so that point is moot where their 2010 taxes are concerned. Still I cannot fathom that they do not have at least one full time person to just watch the houses while they're not there. That person would keep the house clean, the pantry and fridge stocked, the laundry done, the personal mail sorted and handed off, the house phone answered (even with a service, there is someone who retrieves messages), meet any maintenance people coming to the house (exterminators, landscapers, etc), the cars filled up with gas and shuttled to the mechanic for maintenance, picks up Mr. & Mrs. at the airport, concierge duties for reservations, show tickets and the like, make appointments with doctors and dentists, etc, advance person to open up the beach house and do all of the above.
You people are seriously living under a rock if you think the Romneys do any of this for themselves.
People with FAR less money than the Romneys have domestic help like this - and this is just the basics. Many have a live in couple where the woman handles the inside of the house and the man handles the outside.
Look at the want ads in Hampton Domestics. My cousin recently hired a nanny through a similar agency.
- I've heard some pretty wealthy Mormons talk about this issue. They will not typically employ any menial laborers if they can help it, certainly not full-time help. Never understood why, maybe it's part of their religion, but they apparently take great pride (love to boast about it) in doing all of the household and yard chores themselves. It seems to rank right up there with not smoking or consuming caffeine.
- You just proved that Ann didn't get full time nannies and outside help to raise her children.
WTF is going ON?
- How does a stupid, false statement on a message board prove anything, r43? Only a literal moron would believe that Ann Romney hasn't had servents each and every day of her life.
- Unless you get the tax returns from when her kids were small, you have no way of knowing if she employed nannies AT THAT TIME. Her children are grown. Her 2010 tax return means nothing with regard to that issue.
And obviously R42 the Romneys are not like your "pretty wealthy" Mormon friends as their tax return plainly shows that they do employ "menial laborers". At those salaries, it had best be menial labor because those salaries are extremely low for part time household help, and slave wages for full time help. Whichever it is, they do, as anyone would expect, have hired help.
- We know they employ a service because that was their excuse when their service was caught employing illegals. They do not pay maids directly, those are secretaries who are paid extra to do shit for the family.
You really think Mitt would allow volunteer Mormon missionaries anywhere near his family? Guess again!
- In the early days YES, but not now.
- You are an idiot, R44.
If you have nothing else to hit him on except fishing for chum in the tax returns, then you will lose re-election. Seriously.
Obama needs to run on his record.
- Come on people, have you heard of "under the table" payment to domestic and other personal service workers - we see one of the women was paid through his PAC - sounds like we need some more documentation on this account before we believe anything less than hidden incriminating details.
- While it is possible Romney's have been hiring illegals to clean their houses, it seems more likely that the Romney's hire a cleaning service business. That would NOT show up on tax returns.
Watch GOP supports claim: She didn't have maids or nannies when in reality, she may not have had nannies but most assuredly had cleaning services, whether you classify it as a maid or just a company you've hired to clean house.
- This whole article is ridicules. Ann Romney has MS and battles cancer and does her own housekeeping! If that is all that is paid to those women then I was right about Mitt being a cheap non caring SOB. Just let him in the White House and see how he treats you and me. He will want us living on that salary also! I can see it now, he'll be running around saying fire everyone, cut all programs and salaries! That's just what we need.Talk about out of touch with the common people.
- Why would household staff be an income tax deduction? That is a personal expense, which is not deductible. My guess is that the portion of the staff's time, which is used to maintain a home-office or for business entertaining, could be deducted.
- You know, lots of hard working Americans don't like having a maid come in their home and clean their house; they just do it themselves... How many liberal intellectuals cannot fathom that it is just possible that Mitt and Ann can handle a tiny cleaning job for a 2000 sq ft home they visit 3x a year....and one under construction (no cleaning) and one that if 5600 sq ft, that probably is kept very, very clean just by CLEAN PEOPLE who live in it and clean up after themselves as they have done all their lives...and the house STAYS CLEAN. I am 51, and have never hired a maid service, on a 4000 sq ft home or a 2900 sq ft home or any home: five children clean up after themselves as do my wife and I and there is NEVER a "Saturday clean up day..since we clean every time we spill". Do all you Liberals have house cleaners? Really???? What pampered adults you are. Wake up and discover the price of a gallon of milk!
- seriously, r53? you think ANNTOINETTE ROMNEY scrubs a fucking toilet?
- To repeat for the benefit of the Slubber de Gullions among you.
These are secretaries employed by the Romneys, who were given additional monies for some miscellaneous household tasks. The Romneys paid for their domestic help through an AGENCY to avoid questions like this.
- R53, we're talking about a man who's building an elevator for his CARS. And WE'RE the pampered ones?
- Wow--rather particularly pot/kettle, R48, even for a Republican!!
- Jeez!!! We use Oompa Loompas for our domestic chores.
- "I'm running for office for Pete's sake, we can't have illegals"
- Those weren't my maids. They were my sister wives.
- "If you have nothing else to hit him on except fishing for chum in the tax returns, then you will lose re-election. Seriously.
Obama needs to run on his record."
And if you have nothing more to hit Obama with than his not being fully appreciative of "our Anglo-Saxon heritage" than you are going to lose.
Romney needs to run on his plan (if he ever gets one).
- Just keeping that many square feet of living space dusted is a huge challenge, and do the Romneys pay Medicare and Social Security taxes for the domestic help they have ?
- This is really ignorant to the extreme degree. Obama's mother was of English, Irish heritage. He even went back to "Merry Old 'Ireland'" and they all joked about his name "O'Bama," like "O'Shea!"
- Just because you don't like blacks is no reason to hate
- So its now 8 months after the original post. Has this issue been cleared up by the Romneys? What was their explanation? Did Anne claim to have scrubbed her own toilets?
- Worked for extremely wealthy woman uptown NYC word processing her thesis for MFA in her gigantic apartment in block-size armed camp of a complex, droves of liveried Irish guards, at Park and 90th.
"Don't tell the servants how much you make" she whispered to me, "they'll want a raise."
I did not earn much, but those poor maids...
Husband worked for Carlyle Group. She wore a diamond the size of a nickel.
There are some pretty f'ing awful rich people out there. They get worse when they feel they have to justify their mean ways.
The Romneys are paying their domestic very, very little. That is why the reported amounts are astoundingly low.
They are dreadful people.
- r53 thinks Ann and Mitt take their own garbage to the dump, which is what people in NH usually do. My parents live in the same county and that's what they do. It makes no sense.
- Mittens is not fucking his maids like ahnold so he can pay cheaper
- I wonder, does he tie his maids to the car roof? Or do they have to thumb it?
- What do the Romney boys do for a living?
- In all fairness, Romney has to save his money to buy "hardware stuff."
- [quote]Rosania Costa ($4,808), Kelli Harrison ($8,667), Susan Moore ($2,238) and Valerie Cravens Anae ($4,890)
All of whom had a higher tax rate than Romney.
- I would imagine The Romney's paid their servants out of petty cash. They most likely
showed them how to bilk the IRS, since the Romney's are soooo good at it. What is on record is not what those people actually received. Duh!
- Who freaking cares how much they pay people that work for them? If you don't like your wages, go work somewhere else. And how the hell is this news? The post is filled with nothing but speculation and innuendo. Do you even know how many hours they worked? Do you know what they were employed to do? My friend has his house cleaned by a service, two cleaners come twice a month and it only costs $75 dollars each time. "Typical rich people." You sound like typical dumb people to me. Why do they have to show you what they pay people? You simply raise the question to imply the Romney family was doing something illegal or underhanded. Ms. Romney is a grandmother - certainly her sons and their respective spouses look after their children. Typical agenda garbage.
- Ann and Mitt Romney bought some Oompa Loompas from Charlie years ago.
- R3, you're a liar and a fool. It is routine for people in this economic class to maintain multiple full-time staff, UNLESS they have full-time-equivalent contractor staff as a way to avoid dealing with individuals.
Some people I know who make considerably less ($800k-1.5m) have 1-2 full-time staff. They are not nannies. People I know in the Romney's league - 3+ residences, 100m+ total wealth, maintain staffs commensurate with their obvious need.
The only exception I know is a family with 500m (cable pioneers) who pride themselves on being "just plain folk." But all it means is that they farm out the cleaning, garden/landscape, pool, cars, food/catering, children's special needs, social calendar, etc. to businesses that specialize in making life easy for such people.
Romney has undoubtedly played fast with the salaries. That's what he and that cunt wife of his are. Dirty dealers who are hypocrites.
- R8, my mom thinks he has secret wives in all of his houses as well....maybe these "maids" are his wives...
- Go fuck yourselves! Nobody cares about this.
Clint Eastwood, Zombie Apocalypse leader
- My parents had a weekly maid when I was growing up who they paid directly including withholding social security taxes, etc. It involved a lot of paperwork, entries on tax forms, etc. and that was 25+ years ago. Now that all of us are grown and out of their house, they still have help but she's hired through a service who pays her salary, provides benefits, etc. I'm no Romney fan but their household staff, if any, may be handled the same way. The small salaries noted may be for occasional, not regular, help.
And regarding secondary homes, they may hire a management company to oversee their upkeep while they're not there. My parents pay one to manage their vacation home near Santa Fe, NM as do most people of their neighbors there. They manage upkeep, turn up the heat before we get there, make sure the yard's mowed in the summer, etc. Cost for this doesn't show up on any income statement.
I can't stand the Romney's but I get tired of all the political accusations pertaining to their wealth.
- I just wish the Romneys would hire us
- This is how the 1% treats the 99%. And he's going to create 23million jobs? I sure hope those jobs pay better!
- Yeah, my buddy's folks have a maid and she stops by only twice a week for 2-3 hours each visit. I could totally see how they justify these numbers. These maids typically work at several different houses all throughout the week. I'm not trying to defend the guy, but this article seems very biased.
- Yes r82, but very wealthy, well known people rarely if ever have a regular line of strangers in and out of their homes doing the same job. People, especially the wealthy are incredibly particular, and don't want to spend all that time teaching new help "how we like it done".
- Sure R48. Two words for you: Zoe Baird.
- [italic]The post is filled with nothing but speculation and innuendo.[/italic]
Let me guess R74, you're new around here.
- Well there is someone in the White House that's has a lot more maid service than that the only differance. We're paying that bill. Oh an Mitt is paying for his own vacations as well whilee with continue to pay 200K a hour for Obama and family to vacation in Airforce one. Give it rest guys.
- Or another alternative is they paid their help cash under the table (and no taxes) and never reported it.
- Does r53 suck dick behind his wife's back?? Get outta here, get off our lawn breeder bitch
- I pay my house keeper $20 an hour. She's only here 10 hours a month. You might be surprise to know the Merry Maids or American Maid or any other major chain cleaning service charges three times as much.
- Shitt is another piece of shit Republican tool. He's a puppet for corporate dominance over the people.He's the epitome of greed and anti-Americanism.
- Based on these numbers and the assumption that this may be their only job, they are also part of the 47%.
- Re: Susan Moore dead for years. Yeah, probably worked to death by the Romneys.
Some simple math, I think, explains the total of $20,603.00 paid to 4 household staff members. Divide that amount by New Hampshire's minimum wage of $7.25 per hour and the result is roughly 2,841.5 yearly hours. Divide that by 52 weeks and the number of weekly work hours is 55 hours. Based on an eight hour day, that would cover the Romneys for seven days a week every week of the year. Oh, those pesty government regulations! Just imagine if there was not any minimum wage what the Romneys would probably pay! Is this an example of how Mitt is going to get this country employed?
- Would you need a maid for a house you're not living in? Wouldn't you just need someone to come by and - I dont' know - clean the pool every now and then?
- R86 - no speakie whatever fucking language that post was in...
- [quote]Well there is someone in the White House that's has a lot more maid service than that the only differance. We're paying that bill.
Oh, you mean the Obamas have requested an even greater number of maids than all previous presidents? I mean in your stupid head, was Bar Bush going around the place with a feather duster?
[quote]Oh an Mitt is paying for his own vacations as well whilee with continue to pay 200K a hour for Obama and family to vacation in Airforce one. Give it rest guys.
And do you mention Mitt paying for his own vacations because you're under the delusion that if he won, he'd continue to pay for everything himself considering this is a man worth hundreds of millions and still felt the need to get a $77K tax deduction on a horse?
200K a[sic] hour for Obama's trips? Where did you come up with this number and why didn't you just go with a bajillion dollars and be done with it since you're already pulling nonsensical thoughts out of your stupid ass?
People like R86 just say shit to say shit without regard for how embarrassingly idiotic it looks/sounds. "Obama has a motorcade and we pay for it!! Isn't a rickshaw good enough???"
Frankly, I'm glad he's a Mitt supporter. I'd be ashamed to think anyone this dumb agreed with me on anything.
- Typical thinking from idiots? Why if someone makes more money should they pay more for a service? She he pay more for a gallon of milk than the rest of us? A service or an item is paid at it's price tag period. It makes me sick in this country that people think if they make less, they deserve more from people who have more. If you want more, get an education and work to better yourself. Stop waiting for a hand out. Stop expecting someone else to do it for you. I've always worked hard to get what I have, I don't wait for someone "rich" to give it to me!
- Oh, r96 -
The problem is we give (the 99%), they take (the 1%)...
Oh, how they take...
- pls. pls. no more arguments just read Romney's record as a governor..you will understand why he is hiding his other tax records
- How much are they paying YOU, freepbot @ R15?
- People like him like to pay people who do domestic work below minimum wage
- Maybe he paid his "binders full of women" under the table.
- [quote]the salary range for a housekeeper is between $20 and $30 an hour
That is not a description of a salary. Those are wages.
- the one woman has a college education, any woman knows that even a unused home needs to be cleaned weekly and dusted... more than likely the Romneys were paying them under the table and using some undocumented workers...say its not so!!!lol
- So they have2 very average homes,and 1 large home whoop de do, how much maid service could they possibly need, honestly can you hear what you idiots sound like.... They seem like down to earth people, maybe... Just maybe they clean up after themselves, what a concept! Just because y'all are to lazy and dream of having a maid doesn't mean they need one. We have a 8000 sq ft house with a 2300 sq foot guest house, and we don't have a maid, we do the work ourselves, no biggie....when we get behind we just have our kids chip in a little more they love the extra cash once in a while and they don't mind earning it.
- I am very sorry to say, this article is not and can not be true. I have placed domestics from one day a week to full time, for the last 32 yrs and still placing, my household staffing agency , which consists of cooks , chefs, house cleaners, housekeepers, Nannie, personal assistants, estate managers, gardeners, which I am sure the Romney's do have e need for. Thwar is no way the amount of yearly expenses they claim they have had, is correct.
- Those are "domestic employees." They are paying a service for their maids, gardeners, security, butlers, etc. The only people who are domestic employees are administrative assistants (employees of Bain?) whom they require to do occasional personal errands.
- Did it ever occur to any of you that perhaps Mitt paid his help in mostly "cash" so that they (meaning the help) wouldn't have to pay taxes on it? If so, he was doing them a favor.
- [quote]If so, he was doing them a favor.
And breaking the law. He should be investigated for this.
- R107? You actually resurrected this thread to defend him?
He LOST. Move the fuck on.
- Actually, R107, he's not doing them a favor. When paid cash under the table, the employer is not paying into the employee's social security as required, and so that person never gets to retire because there is no money in there for them. They also are not paying worker's comp or unemployment insurance, so if the worker has an injury or loses their job, oh well. Too bad for them. No recourse. When paid cash, you can bet they're also not getting any health care benefits. Some cash workers do still get paid holidays and sick days, but many do not.
- It's not surprising he would be doing something illegal when it comes to money. That's the way of the Mormon cult.
- It wouldn't surprise me if young Mormons cycle through the Romney household as staff members when they're on their "mission." It might be a plum assignment to land and rub elbows with Mormon royalty. The paid women do minor stuff and serve as window dressing so it seems like they hire people. Mormons are cheap.
- cheap and cuntish
- re: We have a 8000 sq ft house with a 2300 sq foot guest house, and we don't have a maid, we do the work ourselves
This is VERY rare. Never have known anyone with that much square footage to clean it themselves.
BTW, why not give someone a job to clean and dust such a large house? You could find better things to do with your time then domestic work if you have such a large, fancy house, like read a good book, etc.
- Mitt Romney what you are going to out of this money please use them for your employee welfare
- [quote]Valerie Cravens Anae
If ever there was a name that's tailor-made for porn ...
- They have already put in place a solution to this problem. Unfortunately, 'Little Blacky' won't be big enough to work for at least a decade.
- When Romney release his ONE year of tax returns during the election, I heard it described by a tax expert, as one of the most creative tax returns that expert had ever seen. Romney didn't manage to pay that low of a tax rate on that huge of earnings by accident. I suspect that he is also very creative about the hired help. Who knows, maybe Marriot Corp. (Romney is named for J. Willard Marriott) sends some of their housekeepers over to the house.
- Webreachtech.com is leading Web Development and Web designing Company based in Delhi, India. We do website designing, web development, ecommerce site, ebay store design, Iphone application development with affordable SEO services.
- Amit got really lost.
- I thought we settled this. He pays a SERVICE to care for his home and property. Probably several services. The salaries given for household assistance were to business employees who did work for the household on the side but who were also paid by his companies. It was never their main function.