- Theories I remember hearing:
The brother was behind it over gambling debts.
The niece had some kind of fight going on with Ronni.
Also there was something about the mafia and art, blah, blah, blah etc.
- I don't recall hearing anything at the time of her murder about Scientology -- it was all talk of stolen paintings or a gal she hid from a Russian Mob boss.
- I think the Scientology angle was introduced because Travolta was a longtime client and because the BHPD chief had some sort of connection to Scientology.
- The behavior of the police still leaves me gobsmacked, but worse was how meekly the press eventually turned over and shut-up about it.
- I found this posted in a comment on a deadline.com article
We have reason to believe that Ms. Chasen had a celebrity client who had a person that was (and is) very angry with them regarding a mutually known woman, partly over money, but more over obsession. Ms. Chasen was insulating the client from the angry party, and taking the heat on both sides. The contract against Ms. Chasen was a message to the celebrity that the game was over. The celebrity is now in hiding with full surveilance. The woman has now fled the country. The suicide gunman was a decoy, and the real gunman- working for the hire, got paid well by his boss and is also now out of the country, and now being hired to find the woman. The celebrity is also now in great danger. Thank goodness you readers, public here were smart enough to know BS when you heard it.
After reading this for some reason my brain went to Harvey Weinstein. Don't know why but he popped into my head.
- It's not like she had any reason to live. All for the best.
- R5 - when was this comment posted?
- Harvey Weinstein as the killer or the celebrity?
- People who kill:
I believe it was a combo of #s one and two. Whatever it was, it was personal.
- R9, When it's a case of lovers, it's usually the lover that does the killing.
A hitman usually means money. So I would go with numbers 2 or 3.
- Ronni know what why.
- Justice for Ronni!
- Was this case ever solved?
- Now this would make a good movie script.
Is BH and BHPD still extremely racist? Was once thinking of moving to BH and was told that under no circumstances good any Black, no matter how wealthy or educated, could visit. Didn't move.
R3, What was BHPD connection to Scieno, or was it the latter's large donations to re-election campaigns?
- R5, Read something similar attributed to a "psychic" and a winner of a top psychic award.
Could Chasen have put together a series of movie deals, involving financing from nefarious sources, including (internat'l) Mob or drug money, and a girl who was desired by someone powerful said "no," and then the financier didn't get any of the payoff either? Perhaps stolen art was the bond or insurance.
Do believe the professional hit man wasn't American, and was well-paid.
- It was a Saudi.
- Some of the Scientology theories have to do with Ronni representing Jeremy Renner who had been considered for The Master. Rumors went around that Ronni told people she was being stalked by people.
- r17, Does Hollywood think this death was random?
- R16, Why do you say that a Saudi was involved?
- It is really odd how the guy in the rooming house had same gun that killed her and they said he killed himself. At the time, his neighbors said he bragged about soon to come into a large amount of money. Strange to have used a bicycle. Why pick that location and think you could "get away" in Beverly Hills on a bike when the city is very well patrolled and relatively small in size.
- I have a strong feeling that Amanda Bynes was somehow involved. I think the guilt may have been the driving force behind her breakdown.
- [quote]It is really odd how the guy in the rooming house had same gun that killed her and they said he killed himself.
It's way beyond odd. I doubt that guy killed her. Someone delivered the gun to him.
- Who is the actor in hiding? Wouldn't somebody notice his being in hiding and away from the limelight.
She had just successfully coordinated Jeff Bridges' Best Actor OSCAR campaign, and yet after her death I recall people subsequently said she was "not really a player".
- Who was chasin' Chasen? And why? Under whose shadow terms and midnight conditions?
- Explanation of art deal gone bad. Celebs invest in original, quality art. Drug dealers also buy art as a way to launder money. It's assumed that if the painting comes from a star then it's real and not a fake. Otherwise the buyer could be out millions of dollars, and would want to retaliate against whomever arranged the sale.
- [quote]It's assumed that if the painting comes from a star then it's real and not a fake.
Not necessarily. Anyone, criminal or not would do due diligence. The star, or his/her management would probably be aware that something is not kosher.
The star could buy it hot already and be 'holding' it for other interests. If said star has a drug habit, well...quid pro quo.
Effectively, they agree (or their management on star's behalf) to acquire it for a certain period of time to establish provenance.
A provenance is the entire history of a work of art. It cannot be established by a single "legitimate" owner holding the work for a certain period of time.
Of course, there are persons who specialize in creating fake provenances, just as there are persons who specialize in creating fake works of art.
- R26, R27, I sincerely appreciate your clarification. I've read the phrase "art deal gone bad" as a likely motive for Chasen's murder. Then I paraphrased the comments on the pap articles in my post (R25.)
The implication is that Chasen owed a very large sum of money to someone nefarious who felt screwed in either a movie financing deal or art sale. She also reportedly had a terrible temper, yelling at power players when a client wasn't nominated for expected awards. This can backfire very easily.
- Interesting take on the art.
- DL, Do you think that the art involved was a forgery or from one of the great art thefts of the past few years? Was it "insurance" that a movie with a major star/player would be profitable?
How does that play in to the "creative financing" well known to regularly occur, and the real reason whether or not some movies get made? If many supposedly profitable flicks are claimed to have so many "expenses" that investors don't always get their expected return, then how do some of the "less than honorable" react?
Since it is said that some close to Chasen were heavily involved with gambling or drugs, and there are private high level parties where participation in the above are very common, does this have anything to do with her murder?
- There was a website that had lots of neat, organized info on this, the timeline, the players, etc. It very suddenly disappeared.
More strange to add on the strange pile.
- R31, Can you summarize what you deduced from that website? Long ago was told that Hollywood is so powerful and financially profitable that the police are really under the thumb of the entertainment industry. Scientology has also learned that lessen.
- [quote]It is really odd how the guy in the rooming house had same gun that killed her and they said he killed himself.
What is so odd about that? He killed her, kept the gun and committed suicide when caught rather than spend his life in prison.
- R32: this is an old screenshot from this site.
If you enlarge you can get the gist of it.
- R34, Most interesting speculation in that article is the connection with Nov 17, in that there were 2 people riding on the cycle. Red herring or clever clue?
- We all under surveillance at all times, and any street crime may be solved by utilizing satellite film.
Anthony Hernandez is being implicated by satellite photographs.
- Who is Anthony Hernandez?
The thing about the site I linked to above is that is disappeared so abruptly. He (or she) had links to all the articles about Chasen as well as some original ideas. To me the strange thing is there is no word about the site or whoever was running it.
- Could it be that they just stopped paying their hosting fees?
- r27, you're right about the term, but it can be enough if the work is one with a partial history.
Many paintings disappear into private collections and/or were lost during wars.
Once art goes into private collections, many auction houses don't look too hard at what happens next.
A lot of those works that resurface have a higher chance of being forgeries.
- Oh no, it's the Anthony-Hernandez-Surveillance troll
- Is it not just speculation here that an art painting was involved in this crime?
Of course it is speculation. That is what we do here.
- R41, I brought up the possibility of fraud involving the sale of an art painting, because internet posters repeatedly suggested that it could be a motive. I wasn't sure what they really were referring to; thanks DL.
Any other valid theories?
- [quote]The behavior of the police still leaves me gobsmacked, but worse was how meekly the press eventually turned over and shut-up about it.
Kind of like they are doing with the Michael Hastings "accident".
- Well r14 Della Reese lives in Bel Aire and has for many many years and she's Black. I just mention her because I've been there and can say from experience.
- R45, Bel Aire is not Beverly Hills. Some Black celebs are given a pass but there visitors are very heavily scrutinized by their neighbors.
- R44, "$100,000 UNSOLVED MURDER REWARD
Posted by Max Cannon in $100,000+, CA, Solved,
7-15-11 Update: Case closed. As was determined last December, Hollywood publicist Ronnie Chasen was murdered by a lone gunman, acting alone, during an attempted robbery.
After sifting through more than 150,000 pieces of evidence, police this week officially shut down their investigation, reports Chasen’s hometown paper, the Beverly Hills Courier.
The gunman, Harold Martin Smith, later killed himself as officers were attempting to take him in for questioning in the case."
- Bell Air is part of Los Angeles. Beverly Hills is it's own city within Los Angeles County.
- R44, What do you think of these comments?
"This doesn't make sense at all. There are much easier ways to rob someone. How could you possibly shoot four precise shots into the chest (within centimeters of each other) of someone driving a car while riding a bicycle. Then leave before taking anything? Huh?
I've heard detectives, FBI and lawyers talk about this case and I agree with those who say it was a professional hit. The industry and the Beverly Hills police want this to go away quickly and so it has...
RONNI CHASEN, the 64-year-old Hollywood publicist who had worked on films such as 'Babel' and 'The Curious Case of Benjamin Button', was murdered by suspect HAROLD SMITH in an apparent robbery gone wrong, according to police. Beverly Hills Police Chief DAVID SNOWDEN, as quoted by the New York Daily News, said that authorities believe that as Chasen traveled home from a Los Angeles premiere, Smith rode up to her car on his bicycle and shot her dead with the same gun that he later used to kill himself.
Sergeant MICHAEL PUBLICKER added that Smith, who committed suicide as police descended on his Hollywood apartment, probably killed Chasen through desperation, saying, "Through the interviews and the information received, we believe he was at a desperate moment in his life, and was reaching out and doing desperate measures".
And, if shooting Ronnie Chasen in a moving vehicle while riding a bike is not incredulous enough, Harold then gets off his bike and collects all 4-5 shell casings before pedaling away.
Seriously, someone riding a bicycle and using one hand to fire the force of a hand-held gun, murdered someone in a car, driving faster than them? Who published this garbage?"
- More comments.
Ronni Chasen was Janet Jackson's publicist....which means Michael and Ronni were connected...think about it. There is a slew of people connected to Michael that have been killed or committed apparent suicides
This hit was too precise and that joker just didn't seem capable. Any true killer would have run for the border by now and would have been paid up front. The woman was worth millions... who takes out a $10K hit for something that had to go down right, or else?"
- More comments.
"There's a rumor going around that Ronni was involved in some sort of art forgery ring. The supposed story is that various stars were going to take possession of forged art, and then after a while sell them as being originals. The thought was that no one is going to question a big name star as to whether the art was original or not. Anyway, Ronni either backed out of the deal, or refused to go along with it, and she was killed, I guess to keep her quiet.
It's something else. More personal. She pissed someone off and she underestimated them. Took them for a clown. Problem is many of these third world millionaires are NOT classy men.
It's either someone in her family or someone from the middle east, Russia or India. These are the people that are now funding Hollywood projects."
- More comments.
Obviously Ronni was shot with a revolver, as there weren't any shell casings, and the shooter would not have the time to pick them up. Not the gun the BH Police claimed. At the presentation of the "results," an LAPD officer joked that if he's shot in BH please drag him to LA, for a fair investigation.
"Beverly Hills PD is the second worst police department in the area. The only one worse is Burbank, and their foibles and corruption and intimidation are legendary. I don’t think BHPD is getting anyone up.
What about the black car/SUV that drove around Chasen’s car spotted by a personal security camera? (reported earlier by yhe Press) Also, the angle of the bullets through the window was from above – unlikely on a bike."
- More comments.
"Let me make sure I have this straight…
A black, ex-con, desperate for money, who’s living in a flop house, with no car, rides a bicycle 8 miles, at midnight, from Hollywood, down Sunset Blvd, past a heavily policed club scene, into BH, one of the most highly monitored, patrolled and secure places in LA, pulls his bike up on a black Mercedes driven by a savvy, street-smart, ex-NY City, 64 year old PR maven stopped at a red light, pumps 5 shots, in a tight grouping, into her chest, through a closed passenger side window, doesn’t take anything, picks up five 9mm shell casings, in the dark, in the middle of Sunset Blvd (if in fact the gun was an automatic, the police have yet to reveal the type of weapon used, a revolver would not eject casings), jumps on his bike and peddles his way back to Hollywood, where he subsequently brags about the murder and the “big payday” he’s expecting, when confronted by the police in the lobby of the hotel, he pulls the same gun and kills himself rather than shooting at the officers and attempting to escape?
Makes perfect sense…
Incredible to me how quickly the media got behind the random-lone-shooter theory and tried to legitimize it and wrap the case up. This whole thing smells much weirder and darker."
- More comments.
"The key to the case is surely the source of the $6++ million estate. No way did that come from the PR business. It ties the real shooter to both Harold and Ronnie. Let’s call him RSVP.
Of course, Harold did end up ‘gifted’ with the hot iron – probably a Smith & Wesson 5 shot double action 9mm revolver, like the model 940 – direct from from RSVP, shortly after the deed – along with some cash. All he needed to do was leave a few red herrings scattered around the hood and pick up the rest down in Tijuana. No way does a con who can’t pay the rent buy a nice piece like that for random muggings. Harold was probably having second thoughts about life expectancy in Mexico – not to mention being setup as the perfect patsy.
This handgun fits the pattern of 5 in rapid succession with no casings. Annie Oakley couldn’t get a tight pattern from a bicycle one handed with 5 hard trigger pulls – so the SUV theory was probably correct after all.
Many dirt slingers are trying to bring in a Lesbian angle, jilted lover, or what not. Doubt it. This is about retribution. Her best friend sez that Ronni was a fetching model and soap opera actress when she was young — and had been romantically involved with a number of well-heeled Hollywood Dons in the past. Quien sabe?
The curious detail in the gossip mill has been the mention of Mickey Cohen. No relation, but I would still luv to have a look at that family screenplay. Both Cohens do share a final resting place not far apart, plus – Mick’s boss Bugsy Siegel was shot dead at a home a block from the crash site.
If the Novel can weave that period into the tale – wow what a cast. Cohen’s girlfriend Liz Renay spent three years behind bars for refusing to squeal. Candy Barr served time for reefer madness. Two of Mick’s other favorites were Tempest Storm and Beverly Hills. Need we mention the “Burlesque” connection and Ms Storms? It just gets weirder and Wilder.
Go for it, Michael. LA Confidential, part deux."
- was ronni chase connected in any way to these
people who were arrested as part of a crime ring?
the ring involved gambling, money laundering
through an art gallery in NYC and had ties to the russian mob.
see link about producer bryan zuriff's plea deal.
- R55, Would make a juicy true story movie, especially if you read all of the comments. Here are a few.
"Most of the Madoff money went to Picower, who suddenly ended up dead at the bottom of his swimming pool. Picower, it seems, was in the business of aiding certain intelligence agencies who always need financing/laundering help, a la another mogul who ended up suddenly dead when he went from covert asset to potentially public liability (Robert Maxwell.)
Madoff went right to prison without putting up any sort of trial fight (which he could have afforded to do easily) because he knows his only way to stay breathing is to stay silent.
Meanwhile, consider the comedy that an operation which, at a minimum, had to actively involve dozens of managers around the world, has led to zero prosecutions…
Yep, just wave the figurehead before the sheep and change the subject. Nothing to see here, folks.
Way, way above."
- R55, Here's another comment from that article.
"Alimzhan “Taivanchik” Tokhtakhounov is one of the most powerful men in the Russian speaking organized crime. With all the public hysteria centered around Vlad Putin possibly giving Ed Snowden political asylum, this part of the story is much bigger and yet largely unreported by the mass US media. The current Russian government and its security organs are providing active assistance and protection – in exchange for billions that the crime rings have to kick in – to the entire global criminal underworld. When taken in context, Snowden is a pipsqueak while Putin, whose net worth is reputed to be over $40 embezzled billion, is a grand criminal, who controls the North European narco-traffic, world wide money laundering and even an occasional death squad. This information is available, albeit sparsely so, in the European press but mostly absent from the American, who follow minor stories such as Russia anti-homosexual laws."
some believe that robert maxwell
faked his own death.
- ronni's brother was a gambler.
was she trying to broker a deal with dark forces to get him out of debt?
- i made the left turn a million times that ronni chasen made at night.
there is no way in hell that a thief on a bicycle
would choose to rob a person in a car
who was waiting for the light to turn green
in beverly hills.
- What really bothers me is that the murder was blamed on an innocent man...it was ridiculous...no one thought that man killed her and then he ends up dead. Damn, I hate the cops in and around LA, completely bought and paid for. Same with the judges and the coroner.
Just revolting and The LA Times? They say nothing...
- Michael Hastings was murdered, anyone with a brain knows that.
- What do you think of this comment?
"People who launder big money like this use it to seed and finance other criminal operations. They do operations like the BECAUSE is is the easiest money to raise in a criminal empire, as the house ultimately always wins.
These figures are responsible for about 20% of the heroin trafficking. About 25% of the human trafficking in the world. There is recent evidence that even the African pirate situation and the K&R ransoms being paid are now run, at least partially, though the Russian mob structure.
And your table fees start it all. So congratulations, Tobey (Macguire) you douchebag a**hole.
And for those who say “legalize it!”… What makes yo think that a bunch of criminals are going to buy licenses and pay taxes on funds they are already making without having without that overhead, or why for a vice they would submit to Congressional regulations?"
- last night, i watched the latest footage
on hastings' crash (alternate view from a different camera).
i am familiar with that stretch of highland ave,
if he were drunk/high and speeding, i can
see that accident hapening as a result.
he didn't brake. he lost control and the fuel tank
exploded after he hit the cement island or it scraped the asphalt n a dip in the road.
hastings' family believes that he wasn't murdered.
but i also read about the hacker barnaby jack's death and what he was working on...
both of their deaths may not have been accidents.
ronni's death really bothers me.
the beverly hills police dept's version
of what happened is incredulous.
- the biggest money launderers for drug traffickers
are the major banks.
i am bothered by the deaths of all 3 people
and not just ronni.
will we ever learn the truth?
- It's just that the BH Police version of Ronni's death is so 100% unbelievable, that absolutely no sane persona could believe any of it. I don't yet know the details of the other cases mentioned. I usually uncover "the truth" in the comments following each article which I copy for DL's curious readers.
The real question, re Ronni's case, is why would the BH Police want comparisons to "Police Academy" movies? Do they really enjoy being made fun of or do they think the whole case will just be forgotten and disappear? Hopefully the new documentary, cited by The Hollywood Reporter, will shed new light on the mysteries.
- R55, Ooh, the story is getting jucier. The man arrested in the illegal gambling scheme is a friend of Joe Francis, and a neighbor of Judd Apatow. Not saying that there's a connection . . . after all, he's also related to Bill Ransic (sp) and his wife.
- didn't they capture the black SUV on security cameras sometime after ronni left
the Burlesque party in hollywood?
was the bicyclist (fallguy) ever seen on camera?
i'm telling you, that left turn she was making
is a somewhat dangerous one. cars in the opposite direction
(east on sunset) come barreling down and around
i saw at least 3 accidents happen on that curve.
a guy on a bike is not going to rob a mercedes
waiting to turn left at that light at any time of day or night. no way.
- i'm not so sure that illegal gambling is
i think it is the art forgery or the gallery connection.
- R55&$70, Apparently the players in the gambling scheme overlap with those in the art forgery and art gallery. Or perhaps the former finances the latter.
Here's another reporters' story.
- after reading the hollywood reporter
article, i may be wrong...
the serious money ($100 million +) came through illegal gambling and not the art forgery.
Alimzhan Tokhtakhounov shouldn't have had to bribe the salt lake city olympic figure skating judges.
Elena Berezhnaya and Anton Sikharulidze
far out performed Sale and Pelleitier.
their having to share the gold medal was a travesty.
ice dancers Marina Anissina and Gwendal Peizerat
didn't need him to bribe judges. they are good enough on their own.
- R72, Any coincidence that Jackie Collins latest, "The Power Trip," copied in part Alimzhan's "Angel From Couture,” a semi-autobiographical story that focuses on the love affair of a young model and an older super-wealthy, Russian mobster with a shady past?
you're right. it's the gambling tied in w/ the art.
i hadn't heard about jackie collins' book.
damn. i would not want to risk plagiarizing
- R74, Care to elaborate your theories of the connection between high stakes gambling involving celebs, Hollywood power players, Russian Mob, art dealing, and Ronni's murder?
- back when ronni was killed, someone posted a link
to a blog or news website in long beach, CA
where a guy wrote about art forgery.
can anyone find it?
- R77&R55, Do you mean this case in Long Beach?
- R77&R55, My post (R78) looks like the "fictionalized" version of the true story.
Where's Oliver Stone when you need him? Wouldn't this conspiracy story be a better movie than the all of the Super hero re-treads? The "family values" and the anti-government crowd (it does make the Beverly Hills Police look like morons) should line up in droves. Plus we find out about the EVILS of gambling and the SINS of having too much money.
i think my theories are just about
what most everyone is thinking. i have no special info.
the bicyclist did not kill ronni.
i know that stretch of sunset blvd.
what the police released to the press makes no sense at all.
i lived in BH for a while.
i lived under the false impression
that i had the best police protection possible.
i paid a premium in rent for that false security.
the BHPD looked like they were idiots or were bought off.
who paid them off? not sure.
i was told by a friend who knew ronni that she was nice and great at her job. she worked hard for her clients.
there are plenty of suspects:
- brother w/ gambling debts
- nutty folk singing guitarist niece
- russian mob - gambling angle
- russian mob - art forgery
-russian mob or nefarious investors who wanted
something/someone(actress) from Burlesque
- the sc*entology angle
who killed her?
it wasn't the guy on the bike.
no. that wasn't it.
i'll try to find it.
it was a blogger or reporter who talked about
art theft or forgery as a possibly of motive in ronni's murder.
i think he talked about art heists where
alarm boxes where disabled.
- here it is...
it was san diego and not long beach.
look at the link.
- ronni told friends that she was being followed
- From the New York Times, there's this comment on Ronni's art collecting.
"Ms. Chasen collected art. In the 1994 version of her will, she invited a few close friends — including the publicity baron Warren Cowan and the publisher Michael Viner, both now dead — to choose a painting from her collection.
Still, the art on the walls of her Westwood condominium was often on loan from one or another of her friends who owned galleries, including Jonathan Novak. Mr. Novak, a pallbearer at Ms. Chasen’s funeral last month, owns Jonathan Novak Contemporary Art, a well-regarded gallery in Century City. . . "
- R82, So what did YOU get when you googled Claire Danes, art and very tall men? Of course that's a clue from your link.
all i see is that tall guy standing w/ claire danes and philippe petit.
is that who you're talking about?
who is he?
- another recent LA murder that has NEVER made sense to me is that of the MTV production coordinator kid which they pegged on some black peeps who had been robbing immigrants of cash with a shotgun, across town. NO WAY would thugs looking for a quick buck be hanging out in teh neighborhood where benmeir lived- it is sleepy and quiet at night and you'd be waiting hours for someone to come home to rob.
and how many robberies finish with a single shotgun blast to teh back of the head as the victim walks from his garage to his front door? BULLSHIT. it was a hit, plain and simple- possibly to send a message to his parents? there is some serious mob action happening here, and the coverups are astounding.
arrested may 2011, ordered to stand trial in april 2012 and still, 16 months later no trial... what up?
- tig notaro is a major beneficiary of the corruption in L.A. She was savvy, or lucky enough to hire the Lavely and Singer lawfirm, when someone became disgusted with her and began to write on datalounge. The 325 hour fee paid them was even waived, here and there, if she would help Martin Singer's daughter, Jackie Singer, with her comedy aspirations. If you hire the Lavely and Singer lawfirm you get a whole sham LAPD Unit, The Threat Management Unit, as muscle, on the cheap.Judges and prosecutors too. Marty Singer commands 500 dollars an hour, and his No 1 client was the governor, so there is big money and power involved.
How a mediocre and obscure comedian got to destroy her "enemies," would make the most absurdist oscar winning movie ever.You see, Notaro was sure her role in a tv show, "In the Motherhood," With Cheryl Hines, would catapult her into the fame she spent every waking moment pursuing. When she saw that her messes were being aired on Datalounge, she freaked and the rest is datalounge history, and likely legal history, if she gets her paid help to not pull a Ronni Chasen first.
From the public defenders office to the coroners office, LA is on the take. LAPD officer Jaqueline Montalvo added her name to the defense witness list so she could testify that tig notaro made everything up, and the LAPD unit was playing along for corrupt reasons, three days later... give it a google.
- R55, R86, Here is the original quote from the Examiner article you linked. I can only guess on the connection between Clare Danes very tall friend and the art deals.
"Only the Pitkin County DA’s office can say for sure, but details in Brooke Mueller’s testimony seem to point in that direction. Hint: Do an advanced search for “Clare Danes + art shows” and look for photos with men 6’3” to 6’8” who have no interest in art in the background. Ironically, the Kamala Harris campaign has now filed protests about similar “big guy” abuse as the tight race for California State Attorney General continues."
- R88, I don't follow your post, as I'm new to the Tig Notaro story. Are you saying that it's another way to prove police in So Cal are corrupt? Would you like me to start another thread? It's hard enough to keep this thread focused on Ronni Chasen with all of the new info/clues vs possible red herrings.
- See who runs the media?
They did their best trying to incite riots by portraying all black people as thugs and scaring the shit out of whites.
These people (organized crime and the media) have a vested interest in demonizing black people so that they are easily set up as criminals.
Now do we know not to trust Hollywood, and are we learning to reject their product?
- At least people here care about these "solved" crimes...
- does prostitution figure into the murder
of ronni chasen?
the talk about a celebrity and a russian mobster
fighting over a woman having to do with "money and obsession."
the russian mob pressures russian and european
models to be prostitutes.
was someone pressuring ronni to deliver
a woman who had appeared in Burlesque?
some people say that amanda bynes is
melting down due to being part of DJ's
call girl operation.
i never believed this model committed suicide.
(see link). according to witnesses who saw her body, her pants
were pulled down. it sounded like she was either pushed to her death or was trying to escape a rape. the NYC cops wouldn't pursue it.
- R55, R93, Here's more info on The Russian Rapunzel. Shall I start a new thread on her and Amanda Bynes? I once started one on Diana Jenkins, and no one responded.
- [quote]some people say that amanda bynes is melting down due to being part of DJ's call girl operation.
Who is DJ? Amanda Bynes never had call girl looks.
- R95, DJ is Diana Jenkins. Google her and start reading about her possibly double life.
The Hollywood Reporter did an interesting story about B, C, and D level actresses or models that were paid during Cannes and the summer to "decorate" yachts of the rich and famous. Supposedly men from the MidEast care more about fame, even TV notoriety, then about looks.
- Do u mean Diana Jenkins= dj?
Would love a new Diana J thread? What ever happened w that book? Room 23? Creepy...
- How is Claire Danes involved? I don't follow. She has a brother who is really tall. Asa Danes. He's an attorney in NY. Maybe that's the tall guy?
- I wonder why Brooke Mueller was listed as a clue ?
thanks for the link about
ruslana's hair. i had not heard that it was chopped off.
she was a beauty with fabulous hair.
look for her on Google Images.
very very sad.
no, i don't think that tall guy pictured
with claire danes is her brother.
google: asa danes.
he's younger, more attractive and looks like
- brooke mueller talked about LA cops
being corrupt and for hire to harass people,
including her during her trouble w/charlie sheen
threatening to kill her w/ a knife.
she's got major drug issues but i believe
she is correct in that off-duty cops can
be bought for a price.
- Is the tall guy an ex cop?
- the tall man pictured w/ claire danes and philippe petit is broadway director steven daldry.
i can't see how he figures in anything nefarious.
NEW YORK - MAY 27: Claire Danes attends the Performance Space 122 spring benfit at The Playhouse at Abrons Arts Center on May 27, 2009 in New York City. (Photo by Eugene Gologursky/WireImage)
Performance Space 122's Spring Benefit 2009
- danes, petit and daldry.
- R82, Why do you think the author at your link brought up Dane? Is it a red herring or was the author simply mistaken?
i'm not sure what the author meant by bringing
up claire danes. i have a feeling that she
and her husband simply attended an art function where maybe some of the bad guys attended.
his focus seemed to be that something
was going on with private equity investor, steven schwartzman, who was manipulating the art market by driving prices up.
the author said that after ronni chasen was murdered, his search alert went off showing that
people were tying chasen to schwartzman
by searching "chasen schwartzman."
it could be that instead of looking at the russian mafia and gambling, they should be
looking at ronni's ties (if any) to the Blackstone Group.
the russian mafia could be the red herring.
i would like to hear more about the celebrity
in hiding (film, music or sports?) and
the girl who is running for her life.
who could these people be?
- R107, Of course Dane, like many celebs including Sly Stallone, could have just been considering investing in legit art. Maybe that's why she was papped with Steven Daldry, who looks to some like a former police employee.
Schwartzman is Judd Apatow's neighbor. Many comedy film scenes were filmed on the gambler organizer's property. What's the real relationship? How about to Tobey Macguire?
Do you really think that the powerful billionaires in the Russian Mob aren't connected to any of these side-stories at all?
producer zuriff is apatow's neighbor not
hedge fund owner schwartzman.
i would like to see the names of the 33 people
indicted in the gambling ring.
i am not discounting the russian mob's possible involvement in ronni's murder.
russians are buying millions of dollars worth of property in NYC
and paying in cash.
are they money laundering?
or are they just families with cash that came from oil?
fran leibowitz was the one to remark
that foreign buyers who are paying
record amounts for very high end NYC apartments
could be doing it to launder money.
money could be being laundered through
gambling, property, art, films and antiques.
- i have no idea about tobey macquire.
he has a sweet baby face, is a good actor and has made tons of money from spiderman.
he likes to gamble. perhaps it's an addiction.
he is the son-in-law of ron meyer of universal.
is there some dark connection linking
the gambling w/ movie deals and criminal elements?
i don't know.
i thought that the heavy gambling addicts (ie.
ben affleck) went down to torrance.
i could see where private gambling parties would be very lucrative and convenient in
- R55, Apologies for the Schwartzman and Zuriff mix up. This is a very complicated tale, with several strange side stories.
Who's writing the screenplay? Are either the Russian Mob or Hollywood players connected to any of the offshore gambling, as portrayed in Timberlake's new movie?
- oh, wait.
the gambling ring was sports gambling.
- more about the sports betting ring indictment
- R55, There is a lot of money involved in these side "investments."
- I would take these posts more seriously if anyone used capital letters.
- interesting excerpt:
"Nahmad and defendant Nicholas Hirsch are also accused of fraud over the sale of a piece of artwork they claimed was worth $300k but turned out to be worth substantially less. The indictment doesn’t make it clear whether the defendants were attempting to save some money by paying off a winning bettor with a piece of art."
is this the connection to the mystery of ronni's
- according to the indictment, a bronx plumber
had debts of $2 million dollars.
was it ever revealed how much ronni's brother
owed in gambling debts?
- R55, "It appears to be a contract killing based on the center mass of the bullets. Now why did Larry Cohen claim that it was road rage, and that the BH police nabbed the right man? He also claims that neither he nor his daughters ever gambled.
- RE: contract killing based on the center mass of the bullets.
r119, what does this mean?
- R120, Sometimes I post comments on relevant articles that reveal a great deal of info. I'm not a ballistics expert by any means. Earlier in this thread I quoted several knowledgeable sources which prove that it was a professional hit. What do you think of these statements?
"We need to know the trajectory, angle of the bullets. How far away? Is there a ballistic check to see gun? Who called cops? Did anyone hear anything?
Where did she live? Why did she turn down Whittier and not Beverly Glen or some other road?
It appears as a contract killing based on the center mass flight of the bullets."
- R120, Hope this link explains my post. Also please read the NY Post article I linked (R119,) because it quotes a police officer who questions
how a non-professional gunman could be so lucky.
- road rage with a bicyclist w/ a gun at midnight in BH?
it sounds like the bicyclist was hired as
diversion to ride out and block her way
while the SUV shooter killed ronni.
maybe not even that--- just a mentally ill
man with a criminal record who had the gun panted on him.
reading the indictment, the russians are
a pretty scary bunch. but if you participate
in their illegal gambling, you must be prepared to pay your debts.
i don't think they would kill ronni if she were the one who owed the debt. they want to get paid.
you have to look at who gains from her death.
follow the money from her estate.
then again, it could have been a military
marksman who was pissed off at Hurt Locker.
it could have been someone connected to Burlesque or other projects.
someone did a crime layout blog
that show ronni's route and where her car ended up.
she was using a common route to get from sunset down to beverly hills flats and century city.
whittier is east of beverly glen blvd.
you would skip some winding curves w/ cars that speed.
Beverly Glen Bl turns into Beverly Glen South goes by the park and turns into into Club View that leads
to Century City.
i have to check where ronni lived.
i'll try to post that blog.
you can use Google Maps and Google Earth to see
where she turned left off of sunset blvd.
i thought at the time of ronni's murder, they said that bicyclist had been seen at a gun club
before her murder.
they found the gun at his apt.
or did the cops or someone plant it?
she stepped on the gas to try to escape
her killer. she still was hit with a
pattern of bullets that would be hard for anyone to execute unless they were trained to kill.
- was the harold smith gun ever conclusively
found to be the murder weapon or was he a convenient crazy patsy?
- someone mentioned the documentary.
here is more info.
i didn't know about the updated will.
the quote is strange from her friend who said ronni wouldn't want a guy w/ his credits doing her
i think that she would welcome publicity if it helps solve her murder!
- I think she lived on Wilshire corridor, not Century City. Whittier Drive leads back down to Wilshire and would be normal route from Hollywood to Westwood.
The odd part is that a person on bike would be on Sunset Blvd. at night in Beverly Hills, where they patrol the streets quite often as the city of Beverly Hills (not BHPO) is quite small in size.
- i had not heard that there were similar cases
that happened prior to ronni's murder.
what is weird is that ronni's brother was so eager to attribute it to road rage.
why isn't he and her friends cooperating
w/ the documentary?
are they too frightened to speak?
or did one of them kill her?
a black OR white man riding a bike in beverly hills at midnight is going to be noticed.
- this report has footage of the crime scene.
- She was keeping so many secrets, for so many different people, it put her life in danger. Who really was responsible for her death? Some people have to know...some agent, some other publicist, some attorney, some fixer...somebody has to know something. Instead, they let the cops hang it on an innocent, poor guy.
- agree, somebody has to know something.
- is it possible that a disgruntled
family member or friend met a military
marksman through ronni's involvement
with Hurt Locker?
perhaps the contract hit came through
- R55, What do you suggest we do now to uncover the truth?
i had not read a lot about ronni's case since
the days and weeks after it happened.
the links that i posted recently surprised me -
her friends and brother not cooperating w/
if my sister or friend were murdered, i would welcome ANY interest and help in finding out
who was responsible (whether it came from
the police, a documentary producer, crime or entertainment blogger).
she told friends that she was being followed.
ronni must have had a guess as to who they were
and why they were following her.
RE: the link about the similar cases
i find it hard to believe that multiple
women in BH were threatened by someone
who drove up next to them and pointed a gun in their face and they didn't report it to the BH police.
either they did and the police are denying it
or the police are so inept or bought off that
the reporst weren't made or they were destroyed.
or... the story (stories) are just one more
red herring; they never happened.
it is to throw people off the trail of the real killer(s).
i didn't know ronni but i know the film business
and how hard people work at the expense of their personal lives.
occam's razor - the most simple explanation is
i did read a news report that the police confirmed
that the gun that the bicyclist smith had
matched the bullets in ronni's body.
it is just too weird ---
not only that a black man rode from hollywood into BH to rob a mercedes stopped at a light
but that he picked up the bullet casings on the well-traveled sunset blvd?!
this just DID NOT happen.
if a guy on a bike were going to go into BH,
he would mug a woman carrying a purse who was
walking on the sidewalk or going from her car in a driveway into her house.
no one on earth is going to try to rob
a woman still in a mercedes. it would be like trying to rob a tank.
- typo: police reports
weren't made or they were destroyed.
- R55, I didn't have a laptop at the time of her murder, so although the police report didn't make sense, I didn't have full access to research alternative answers. So strange that everyone quickly accepted such a laughable conclusion. What are they hiding? Why don't they want to find out the truth, or at least explore plausible choices?
- i guess ronni didn't know who was following her.
"Murdered Hollywood publicist Ronni Chasen suspected she was being followed as far back as March, sources tell Page Six. The well-liked industry veteran told a friend she believed she was being followed shortly after the 2010 Oscars. Our source said, "Ronni said in March she suspected she was being followed, but didn't know by whom. She said she was scared. Some people close to her believe it was a hit, but nobody knows why." It was unclear if Chasen, who was shot to death in her car in Beverly Hills as she drove home after the party for the new movie "Burlesque" at 12:30 a.m. on Tuesday, contacted police at the time."
Hurt Locker won academy awards in 2010.
why would ronni be singled out?
did she promise to do PR for someone
associated w/ the film or a military person
she met through the film? did they feel slighted?
Chasen was shot with a revolver, so there were no shell casings to pick up.
thanks. i had forgotten about that.
- The police cover up alot of crimes, meaning you never hear about them or never get the truth. I remember years ago I saw a small news article about a real estate agent who was murdered and stuffed inner trunk. She was at an empty house she was listing. Then there was a media blackout. I always thought maybe it was a serial killer.
- I find this case fascinating and the media/police silence speaks volumes. Looking forward to the upcoming documentary about Ronni...and I hope they get quotes/footage from her A list friends.
She was a powerful woman. This was no random murder.
- what happened to ronni?
- Random murder? No, I really don't think so.
- Publicist know a lot about a lot of people...they just need to check on who her clients were.
Any other info?
- I haven't seen anything. I'm sure the police closed the case as quickly as possibly, they found a flunky to pin it on and that's all they needed.
- bump. Justice for Ronni!