All Threads by Date
James Deen - straight porn star
Porn That Women Like: Why Does It Make Men So Uncomfortable?
In the winter issue of Good Magazine, Amanda Hess has a fascinating profile of James Deen, a young, handsome porn star who is becoming famous for actually appealing to women. Due to his boyish, slightly skate-punk aesthetic, naturally toned body, and ability to connect emotionally (or at least appear to) with his female co-stars, Deen has garnered a following of devoted young women in an industry that in most cases ignores them entirely. Hess explains that Deen’s school-boy charm is what makes him approachable—and sexy—to his female fans:
Deen has carved out a niche in the porn industry by looking like the one guy who doesn’t belong there. Scroll through L.A.’s top porn agency sites and you’ll find hundreds of pouty women ready to drop to their knees, but just a few dozen men available to have sex with them. These guys all have a familiar look—neck chains, frosted tips, unreasonable biceps, tribal tattoos. Deen looks like he was plucked from a particularly intellectual frat house.
Hess goes on to discuss why there aren’t more guys like Deen in the male porn-star stable, and her findings tell us just as much about male viewers’ hang-ups as they do about women’s erotic preferences. Part of the problem is that men (who largely control the porn industry) imagine that women want everything big—“Big arms. Big abs. Big dicks,” as Hess puts it—when what they really want is something a little less overwrought. One of Hess’ subjects described her attraction to Deen thusly: “He was almost like a guy that you would just hang out with at Hebrew school.”
But the real obstacle to the proliferation of female-friendly male porn stars is, oddly, a rather nasty and subtle strain of homophobia, revealed in the following double-bind:
The straight male performer must be attractive enough to serve as a prop, but not so attractive that he becomes the object of desire.
Hess is spot on. Men need to see a penis in straight porn (presumably to stand in for their own), but not one that is attached to a guy who might be threateningly attractive, not to mention plausibly appealing to the woman involved. Maybe this insistence on a male blank slate (a kind of reverse objectification, when you think about it) makes it easier to project oneself onto the disembodied penis, but it also protects men from the potentially scary experience of being turned on by both partners of a heterosexual encounter—which, yes, does involve another dude. In other words, the bland interchangeability of the “unreasonable” looking men allows them to avoid confronting the terrifying specter of homosexuality.
Hess’ informants within the industry confirm this when they explain that a man simply cannot be the focus of a porn flick (in the film itself or even on the video cover) because consumers will be spooked. The sad thing here is that in this arrangement, everyone loses: Women can’t get the kind of porn they want from the mainstream (there are, of course, many excellent indie outfits who make great lady-centric films), an insidious kind of abstract homophobia is reinforced and, perhaps worst of all, many straight male viewers suffer unnecessary emotional and sexual stunting.
It’s telling that it was a woman, Pamela Peaks, who first recruited Deen into the porn life—she obviously knew what she liked, even if it was a gamble. But now that Deen’s “skinny, Jewish ass” has proven its worth, perhaps other producers, female and male alike, will be willing to challenge and entice their viewers with a more diverse casting couch as well.
- Nice dick
- Hard at work (NSFW)
- he's really good.
- Speaking of boyish straight porn stars, there's an anonymous guy who stars in sleazy Russian rape porn and looks like he belongs on the Disney Channel. I love him.
- "The straight male performer must be attractive enough to serve as a prop, but not so attractive that he becomes the object of desire."
That's funny, because, from Steve Drake to Paul Barresi to Peter North to Mark Davis to Julian to this guy, I find the men in straight porn to be objects of my desire very frequently.
- I love that guy. He's just a normal cute Jewish boy with a huge dick and lean body.
- He'd be nicer if he didn't shave his pubes.
- I agree, but they all do. He throws a fuck like a shotput champ. Loves anal too, like all guys
- R7 guys in porn tend to shave their pubes for a few reasons:
1. It makes their dick look bigger
2. Porn wouldnt flow as smoothly if the sex included my favorite activity--stopping mid-blowjob to spit out/pick out errant pubic hairs
- Do you save them for floss, R9?
- He's hot but not a big fan of all of the bondage movies. But again, he's hot in an accessible way ( any decent looking gay guy has been with hotter guys).
His blog is gross though. It's just pictures of girls' assholes that he's fucked.
- I never thought I'd get into James Deen's videos because the semi-rape thing just doesn't appeal to me (Jimmy is pretty rough and will pimp slap a bitch in a heartbeat), but after watching one of his videos at kink.com, I gotta admit, I'm hooked. Doesn't hurt he's very sexy (similar to James Franco) and convincing as a dominant top.
The question the interviewer should've asked is Jimmy what he thinks about his gay following. Surely he must know a lot of gay men watch his videos solely because of him.
- [quote] The question the interviewer should've asked is Jimmy what he thinks about his gay following.
Should be: "The question the interviewer should've asked Jimmy is what he thinks about his gay following."
- He is really hot, but what I find interesting is that in the two clips in this thread the studios decided to pair him with skanky stripper girls. He doesn't seem like the type to go for the "Pam Anderson past her prime" type of woman. I'm not familiar with much straight porn but don't they have a nice girl next door niche? Couldn't they pair this guy with someone like that? It would be more realistic.
- This is the exact kind of dude who goes for the stripper type.
- Just goes to prove my theory: women are very visual, just like men.
- Of the audience that still buys straight porn, 99% are straight men.
The author is a moron.
- Here's the Russian twink.
(Interestingly, most of his videos feature men being forced to watch as he rapes their girlfriends. In one video, his cum almost hits the boyfriend's face.)
Link decidedly NSFW.
- Ugh. Tired of the mainstreaming of porn.
- R14, he gained popularity doing the MILF porn which apparently is a top seller. Lisa Ann (link R2) is popular for her XXX spoofs of Sarah Palin. She's the really hot MILF next door, not skanky at all.
- R19, quit clutching your pearls Mary, porn is a big part of our society and culture as anyone that examines internet traffic can tell you.
It seems silly that it needs to be kept in the dark and not spoken of in public. It is just another industry providing a product that society wants.
- Yeah, I don't think James is into that Bleach Blond fake shit. I'm pretty sure he's dating Joanna Angel, and she does alot of AltChick Porn. She's physically not the prettiest girl in the world, but from what i've heard she's a pretty cool person. If you watch her videos she looks like great fuck too, even if she's non-traditionally attractive. Nice tats too.
- There a lot of girl's giving him love on Tumblr.
I think like mainstream society in general a lot gay men are in the dark when it comes to the degree women love porn and sex in general. Most girl I know love porn, have favorite stars and films, and love gay porn too, and are familiar with gay porn stars. And the ones you don't hear talking about it or seem like they don't, are probably doing so anonymously online become society tells them it's something they should be ashamed about.
- I've known several straight women who were into porn.
Contrary to what society would have us believe, women most certainly do have a sexual drive and they need to "flick the bean" just as men need to "clean the pipes" every now and then.
- He could slap the shit out of me and I'd pay for it
- Fuck yeah, me too! He's a sexy top.
On an old porn thread, Pornchick (I'm pretty sure) said actresses like working with Deen because he's clean and treats them well.
- Straight men do not want to watch hot guys fucking beautiful women.
Thus Ron Jeremy's appeal.
- There's no way he make $15,000-$20,000 a month doing straight porn - male performers are paid peanuts.
- Does he escort?
- He's ugly, weird looking, and an abusive asshole.
- "Straight men do not want to watch hot guys fucking beautiful women."
That is changing today. A lot of guys in straight porn are attractive today.
- He played Bill in a porn parody of True Blood. He was way more appealing than Stephen Moyer!
- "an abusive asshole"
- Not a fan of the shaved pubes, but he's hot enough for all normal purposes.
Would love to see him get reamed by a big dick.
- Straight sex is so weird!
- That guy at R18's link is so cute! He has such nice puffy nipples..
- I love his domination clips. Not quite the James Deen the OP's article talks about, but I'd lick his boots and than him for smacking me around any day.
- What is so appealing to watch a guy slap a female around? or watch rape scenes? You guys sound like a bunch of straight repulsive guys! Right! like women like to watch a guy rape a woman?! or slap a woman around during sex?! If that BS is true about women in our society then there must be a lot of women who have very low self-esteem. What the hell is this? the DL misogynist thread?
- He'd drill me just fine
- He has had sex with 3,000 women so far.
That number is just staggering.
- He's turned down scripts because of rape scenes. He says he'll do "rough consensual", but he's opposed to rape and any presentation of sex as a punishment. A porn star with scruples!
He explains in his blog:
- A good guy
- Why do all these porn actors and actresses change their names?
James DEEN, loooool
For all their carping about 'loving' what they do, they must surely be embarrassed to be in porn. I always laugh when they say their parents "are proud" of what they do, c'mon! Porn will always have a stigma. now matter how acceptable it becomes, you are fucking with a camera rolling. Which is fine if you're an exhibitionist.
Most pornstars are runaways, failed actors and actresses, basically, they are flawed depressed people with a ton of mental issues.
No one in their right mind actually considers being in porn as a career goal!
Most pornstars are drugged, or drunk, to the gills. a lot of them really hate what they do.
Jenna Jameson once said in an interview, to paraphrase her, "Do you see most of the men I have fuck on camera, this IS really WORK!"
Jenna clearly didn't have her pick of male co-stars, she also mentioned on Howard Stern's old K-Rock radio show, that one of her female co-stars had a really stinking vagine and she could not continue the scene!
I'm sure most of the actors and actresses do not get to pick who they fuck, at least not in the beginning of their porn careers.
I hope these pornstars, the ones without drug habits, are saving up, because porn is not a career with longevity. Perhaps, for the str8 porn actors they might have longer careers, though some look like they are in their 60s, such as that wrinkled frog eyed Randy Spears.
I always wondered how such a beautiful women as Janine, she was so gorgeous she could have been a regular model, ended up in porn, something went wrong.
If you don't know who Janine is, she's the chick who was married to Jesse James and they were/are fighting over custody of their kid.
- Porn makes money
- [quote]Jenna Jameson once said in an interview, to paraphrase her, "Do you see most of the men I have fuck on camera, this IS really WORK!"
Yeah, fucking the likes of Julian, Mark Davis (when he was in top shape), Rocco Siffredi, Peter North and Mr. Marcus is such tough work.
- Thought that you were talking about Paula Deen's son. Whew!!!
- R46, he wanted a cooler name. He has never hidden his real name, or his background. His real name is out there: James Rothstein
- Rothstein is far too Jewy for the porn world.
This guy makes guys uncomfortable? Why are straight men focusing on the male during sex, that's my first question.
- This guy somestimes looks like he doesn't wipe well. Sometimes when his cheeks are spread, it isn't pleasant. He needs to bleach-up back there a little bit.
- It looks hot to me!
- "I always wondered how such a beautiful women as Janine, she was so gorgeous she could have been a regular model, ended up in porn, something went wrong"
Janine Lindemulder was one of the most stunning women I've ever seen in either "mainstream" film or porn. When she used to come on Stern's show in the mid Nineties, I always wondered why she never went into "legitimate" acting work, since she had the looks and was way more photogenic than many actresses popular at that time.
I think her getting tattoos in the late Nineties symbolized her inner desire to get the hell out of porn. She once remarked that she would hate it if porn became mainstream, since she didn't want her then young daughter exposed to stuff like that. She seems like a very nice, normal lady caught up in a very twisted industry.
- Janine had sex with Dale Dabone a couple of times.
- "Ugh. Tired of the mainstreaming of porn."
It's really dispiriting, isn't it, r19? Our country has become one big schlocky junk-heap of porn.
- "Rothstein is far too Jewy for the porn world."
There are lots of Jews in porn, so I don't think people have a problem with him being Jewish, it's just that porn stars are expected to have cool-sounding names.
- Nice ass
Rothstein is very Jewy for the girls who won't have sex with a Jew, or the viewers who won't purchase or view a Jew having sex.
Black guys have the same problem. So, do bisexual men who work in both gay and straight porn.
- Even if he uses a non-Jew pseudonym, you can still tell that JD is Jewish.
- Really? I can't. Is it the circumcision scar?
- R59, which girls won't have sex with a Jew? And they know he is Jewish anyway.
And as I said above, there have always been a lot of Jewish guys in porn since the 70's, going back to Ron Jeremy, who has always talked about how he is Jewish.
Seymour Butts is also Jewish, so is Herschel Savage.
- lol - I don't know R62. You're right.
- Can you rent James Deen by the hour? If so, how much?
- James is a two-face (as in the Seinfeld episode). Sometimes he is hot as hell, other times he looks like a troll.
- I am getting so tired of straight guys and their fucking insecurities.
[quote]The straight male performer must be attractive enough to serve as a prop, but not so attractive that he becomes the object of desire. Hess is spot on. Men need to see a penis in straight porn (presumably to stand in for their own), but not one that is attached to a guy who might be threateningly attractive, not to mention plausibly appealing to the woman involved. Maybe this insistence on a male blank slate (a kind of reverse objectification, when you think about it) makes it easier to project oneself onto the disembodied penis, but it also protects men from the potentially scary experience of being turned on by both partners of a heterosexual encounter—which, yes, does involve another dude. In other words, the bland interchangeability of the “unreasonable” looking men allows them to avoid confronting the terrifying specter of homosexuality.
Hess’ informants within the industry confirm this when they explain that a man simply cannot be the focus of a porn flick (in the film itself or even on the video cover) because consumers will be spooked.
- This thread is fetid with the crystal-meth snort-filled psychotic obsession of celebrity (rehab) troll and no-talent author Bret Easton Asshole.
- He's a homophobe.
- R66 is right. He sometimes looks cute, but other times kind of ugly. I am not sure why he has become the big male porn star. I disagree with the writer, maybe average guys were the thing in the past, but there are at least two straight porn guys that I've seen that are gorgeous, Scott Nails and Danny Mountain. The latter looks like he could be a male fashion model. Both way hotter than Deen.
I guess James Deen mainstream popularity shows that they should shift a little more focus on the males because there is a female audience out there.
- I thought he was hot the first time I saw him but he just looks really skeevy. No thanks!
I like Manuel Ferrara or however his name is spelled. He looks like Rafael Nadal a little bit.
- [quote]there are at least two straight porn guys that I've seen that are gorgeous, Scott Nails and Danny Mountain. The latter looks like he could be a male fashion model.
Danny Mountain is a British guy who moved to America to make it big in straight porn. He has one of the biggest uncut cocks I've seen on a straight porn star.
He's also gay friendly and did several solo videos for a gay site several years ago before he made it big in straight porn.
- In complete agreement, r19. It's a sad comment on society when pitiable, pathological porn performers are regarded as "stars" or considered as providing a "product" and worthy of our attention. America has become nothing BUT a junk-heap of porn-schlock culture.
- It bugs me when people say that Janine could have been a supermodel. She had no where near that kind of beauty. She could not have been a top model or VS model or she would have been instead of a porn star. Please get real.