All Threads by Date
I love gay male porn
[italic]A straight woman has a thing for guy-on-guy action and wants to know: "What's up with that?"[/italic]
By Tracy Clark-Forey, Salon.com, 10.13.2011
I’m a straight woman, but I like watching gay male porn, especially where the men are supposed to be straight. It isn’t something I’d want to pursue in my real sex life (I shudder, in a bad way, to think of my boyfriend hooking up with another guy), but in pure fantasy, it turns me on like no heterosexual porn ever has. What’s up with that? Am I a freak?
Just the other night, I had the bizarre experience of co-judging a classy, high-brow event called the Air Sex Championships. At one point during the show, a man going by the pseudonym “Sir Fucks A Lot” climbed onstage wearing a baseball cap, a muscle-hugging V-neck, cargo shorts and a cocky Casanova smile. He looked like a straight frat boy stereotype, but to everyone’s great surprise he began enthusiastically enacting a gay sex scene — and, reader, it was hot. For the only time that evening, the all-female judging panel leaned forward — instead of recoiling in disgust — to get a better look.
This was just my most recent brush with straight-female sexual appreciation of gay men. I’ve come across variations on your question — both in talking to female friends and in the short time that I’ve been fielding reader questions — countless times before. (It isn’t just heterosexual women — remember the scene in “The Kids Are All Right” where the lesbian couple puts on some retro gay smut to get in the mood?) There isn’t any reliable data on just how common your interest is, but Ogi Ogas and Sai Gaddam, who analyzed Web searches in “A Billion Wicked Thoughts,” report that “over the past four years, gay porn has surged in popularity among heterosexual women and doesn’t show any sign of having peaked.” It doesn’t stop at hardcore videos, either: Consider the thriving online world of explicit slash fiction, in which fans of various items of pop culture ephemera write scenes where straight-male leads — from “Star Trek’s” Kirk and Spock to “Twilight’s” Edward and Jacob — get it on. In Japan, there is a comic book equivalent called yaoi (or “boy love”) with a similarly female-dominated audience.
So, no, you are hardly “a freak” — at least not in any negative sense. Now as for the tougher issue of “What’s up with that?” I took your question to award-winning gay-erotica author James Buchanan, whose audience is largely female. “The men are free to explore their roles and enjoy each other without this omnipresent sound track of what society ‘expects,’” Buchanan said. “And female readers can choose to identify with either, or both, protagonists in the story.” Fantasies are supposed to allow us to escape our usual roles, after all. Speaking of roles, a study published in 2004 by a psychologist-anthropologist duo theorized that part of the female attraction to slash is that it’s “based on shared adventure, and its protagonists slay each other’s dragons.” The authors write, “Although the heroes of mainstream romance novels are ‘warriors,’ the heroines are not warriors, no matter how intelligent, well-educated, fiercely independent, professionally successful, and spunky they may be.” They surmise, “The typical slash fan may be a woman who is psychosexually unexceptional but who, for whatever reason, prefers the fantasy of being a cowarrior to the fantasy of being Mrs. Warrior.” Maybe you want to be the pornographic equivalent of a co-warrior — a co-screwer instead of a screwee?
- Gay porn is an erotic vacation of sorts for hetero women where the usual gender baggage is left behind. Guy-on-guy scenes don’t automatically call to mind real-world power dynamics between the sexes or the social and political history of male-female roles. However, there is plenty of masculine worship, as well as subversion, which I gather is your thing, given the interest in “straight” guys having gay sex. (I’m guessing you’re talking about “gay for pay” — or maybe the popular genre where college guys do gay things during a fraternity hazing.) It can be easier to watch gay porn without worrying whether the stud in the assless chaps feels disempowered or exploited — if only because of basic cultural attitudes toward female sexuality. Not only does it come without aesthetic offenses like globular implants and prepubescent-esque genitalia, but the potential for female viewers to make unfavorable comparisons to their own body virtually disappears.
It’s funny this question even has to be asked in the first place, given that men’s interest in pseudo-lesbian porn is taken as so obvious as to be unworthy of explanation. Guys are visual creatures, they love the female form, two are better than one — what’s the question, right? It’s true that research has found men to be more visual, but that isn’t to say that women as a whole are not (or that some women are not just as visually oriented as some men, if not more so). So let me state what should be apparent: Straight women appreciate attractive men, and attractive men are in much greater supply in the gay side of the porn industry. That they are having sex with other men can be inconsequential or especially titillating.
- There was an Air Sex Championship, and I was not informed?
- I love gay male porn too. But then, I'm an actual gay male.
- on a related note:
lol @ this link
I *know* several of these guys, and they have girlfriends…who are usually cool with it, lol.(occasionally the girls are bi…)
It’s funny this is a light-hearted satire of the ‘ex-gay’ movement, which says that sexuality may be fluid and changeable,(but also that only one side is right) and this usually angers gay activists, understandably…yet the world of porn demonstrates that there is so much fluidity amongst both genders, even amongst people who never thought of themselves as fluid before trying out porn…this includes guys who mainly do straight porn who still have some gay scenes to their resume, it includes the ‘straight-for-pay’ satire done with gay-identified perfomers…
There’s an amusing cross-message here
- Could the cunts please recede back into themselves here?
- What's not to love about gay male porn?
- Everybody loves gay porn!
- Well some is a lot better than others, R6
- My writing is not for fraus. It's gay male fuck stories for gay homo pansy men queers.
- Even lesbians love it! (According to Julianne and Annette in The Kids Are All Right).
- No idea what some of my lesbian friends get out of gay male porn except that it may seem kinky to them? I don't know, but some of them love it...and I'm not talking the vanilla stuff.
- She sounds like watered down, sexualised Andrea Dworkin. Pretty stupid if she thinks gay porn is just fun for the viewer with no real people who get damaged, or go into it because they are damaged.
- I desperately care about what's up with this heterosexual woman!
After all, isn't that what all gay men really truly care about when you get right down to it: the love lives of heterosexual women?
- I love the stories!
- I haven't had the opportunity to see very much gay male porn. However the men are far more attractive and all parties seem to be enjoying themselves. Plus it's far "more educational," if you want to learn what men really like. The stereotypical drugged out female bimbo, faking pleasure in straight porn, is so not appealing, and even boring.
- With the internet age .. females who are into gay porn are getting younger and younger. On tumblr girls would put 2 famous males they like and create scenarios were they are in love and create manips/photoshop of porn look-alikes in their gifs.
- More straight men want to try anal sex with their girlfriends and wives. Maybe the straight females are watching gay male porn to see what is involved.
- I'm a straight woman, and I love gay male porn. I started out reading slash as a teenager, then moved on to hardcore porn in my early 20's.
I like it for the typical reasons straight women do: hot, hot men whom you can actually see and great sex that gets everyone off.
Adam Killian, Rafael Carreras and Dean Monroe are favorites.
- Some women get off on the table being turned and men getting objectified. Plus: no female competition in sight and watching/reading this from a safe distance without having to experience the sexual turmoil herself.
- child, it's the same reason why tranny, chicks with dicks porn, is located in the 'straight' section. mystery solved.
- really, why not like it if you get double the pleasure?
- [quote]Some women get off on the table being turned and men getting objectified.
Actually, I like that the men DON'T seem to be objectified, at least in comparison to straight porn, where everyone's objectified. (Women are to be used, and men are props.)
- Okay, R18, you sexy gal, YOU can read my porn!
- Gay porn is retarded, it's boring and shit made for a bunch of self-loathing fags and fraus.
Gay 4 pay is so shit that it has rendered gay porn unwatchable.
- r22, I don't know what kind of gay porn you are looking, but (good looking) guys being completely shaved from the neck down (or at least manscaped to hell and back), covered in tan lotion and make-up, doing all sorts of acrobatic positions, a camera being really close to their anus while it's getting penetrated, and getting their own and their partner's or partners' cum all over their bodies, is not how I define an empowering experience for viewers and bystanders. Not to mention the whole S&M fetish genre like Boundgods or the controversial Straight to Hell site from England. Or the sites and studios who use the whole Gay4Pay, straight guys desperate for cash marketing fantasy.
The whole point of (gay) porn is to objectify the porn performers as visual stimulation for your jerk off session.
- [quote](good looking) guys being completely shaved from the neck down (or at least manscaped to hell and back), covered in tan lotion and make-up, doing all sorts of acrobatic positions, a camera being really close to their anus while it's getting penetrated, and getting their own and their partner's or partners' cum all over their bodies
I just came in my pants after reading that sentence.
- [quote]Some women get off on the table being turned and men getting objectified
I think it has more to do with men being completely submissive than being objectified...hey, thats why I like being gay in the in first place! Its hot to watch a man give up his snatch.