Rihanna Brakes Madonna's Record: Becomes Fastest Solo Artist To 20 Hot 100 Top 10s
Rihanna roars to a 20th Billboard Hot 100 top 10 single faster than any other solo artist, as "We Found Love," featuring Calvin Harris, darts 16-9 in its second chart week.
Having first graced the Hot 100 the week of June 11, 2005, with the eventual No. 2-peaking "Pon De Replay," Rihanna reaches 20 top 10s in a span of just six years and four months, besting Madonna for the quickest collection of top 10s among soloists (from an artist's first Hot 100 appearance) in the chart's 53-year history. Madonna tallied her 20th top 10, "Hanky Panky," the week of July 28, 1990, for a stretch of six years and nine months after her chart introduction with "Holiday." Rihanna, thus, bests Madonna's mark by five months.
Among all acts, Rihanna's run to 20 top 10s is the second-fastest. Only the Beatles sprinted to the sum more quickly, taking just two years, seven months and one week between their chart entrance with "I Want to Hold Your Hand" (Jan. 18, 1964) and "Yellow Submarine," which sailed 52-8 the week of Aug. 27, 1966. The Supremes are pushed to third-place among all artists, having collected their 20 career top 10s in a span of six years, five months and one week in 1964-70.
With the vault, Rihanna becomes the 14th artist to garner as many as 20 Hot 100 top 10s and just the fifth woman to earn the honor. Among women, Madonna leads with 37 top 10s - the highest total among all artists - followed by Mariah Carey and Janet Jackson (27 each) and Whitney Houston (23).
Prior to Rihanna this week, Carey had been the last artist to reach 20 top 10s when "Thank God I Found You," featuring Joe and 98 Degrees, blasted 22-2 on the Feb. 12, 2000, chart (a week before it led the Hot 100 for one frame).
Notably, in an era where songs can scale the Hot 100's upper reaches in their debut week solely on the strength of hefty first-week digital sales, all 20 of Rihanna's top 10s have received radio support concurrent with their moves into the Hot 100's top 10. Seventeen of the 20, in fact, have reached the top 10 on Radio Songs, with eight bounding all the way to No. 1. And, even the three songs that missed the Radio Songs top 10 still made the list's top 40 ("Break It Off," No. 11; "Russian Roulette," No. 35; and, "Cheers (Drink to That)," No. 13).
"Found" jumps into the Hot 100's top 10 with dual Digital and Airplay Gainer accolades. The first single from Rihanna's sixth studio album, due Nov. 21, charges 7-6 on Digital Songs (147,000 downloads sold, up 25%, according to Nielsen SoundScan) and 75-38 on Radio Songs (33 million audience impressions, up 129%, according to Nielsen BDS).
- Unlike Madonna, Rihanna came onto the scene when Payola was made illegal, and the public actually had to pay $ for your singles to chart. Poor Madge. She's such a has-been.
- Oh for Christ's sake. "Brakes" her record?
- I cannot wait for the Madonna fangurls to weigh in on this!
"But she's so RELEVANT stil!!!"
- I'm not surprised. It seems like Rihanna shits out another single every other week.
- "and the public actually had to pay $ for your singles to chart"
A vinyl '45 sold for $1.49 in 1985.
A Cassingle sold for $2.99 in 1990.
A CD-3 single sold for $3.49 in 1995, the CD-5 was $4.99
Rihanna's entire career has been 99 cents per download.
- "Brakes"??? OP are you 10? or a non-English speaker, or both? If so, I'll cut you a break; if not, work on your grammar, dear.
- Wouldn't the term "Rihanna featuring Calvin Harris" invalidate the whole "solo artist" achieving this record?
- These figures are bullshit and mean nothing. That bitch can't sing, either. Rihanna's an artist, my ass.
- r5, charting = radio play, back in the day, and that was done mainly because of Payola.
r8 is a moron.
- Unlike Madonna, in a few years we'll all be saying Rihanna who?
- "BRAKES"??? Can you really be this stupid, OP?
- She sounds like those Kardashian women.
I suppose that nasal sound is big with ghetto girls though so, good for her I suppose.
- I'm sure Ke$ha has broken some records too, OP. That doesn't say much for those broken records, now, does it?
- Anyone can break records nowadays. Katy Perry is up there with MJ in terms of #1's from a single album and now Rihanna looks set to beat Madge and head towards Mariah territory. Downloading has changed the entire industry; it's reverted back to a late 1950's singles market. Don't ever expect to see a Diamond selling record (over 10 million US) in the near future. Kids only want songs.
- Record nowadays mean nothing. Someone bought a Rhianna song by clicking a mouse twice. Yippeee. In Madonna and other past artists day you had to get in a car and go to a record store. They made an effort to get buy it. Oh and Madonna has a double disc greatest hits album full of memorable songs that stand the test of time. Rhianna will never had that distinction.
- Ahh Madonna the original attention whore herself....
All I know is that one day their both going to be in Hell suffering for crimes against music along with quite a few others.
- I barely know who Rihanna is and couldn't name one of her songs (without looking it up) to save my life.
I'm only 40. Am I suddenly that out of touch?
- Don't worry my fans! I will deliver another single soon that will at least crack the Top 50!!!
Your Queen, Madonna
- Unlike Rihanna, Madonna is a triple threat:
Can't act, can't sing, can't direct...
- Music industry is in the shitter. I may not be a young guy anymore but I'm glad I grew up when there was great music on the radio.
- FF, Freeper Troll @ OP, R1, and R9!
I'm 21 and think music is am .. not what it was to say the least.
Pop music nowadays is atrocious.The 80s pop music might have been cheesy but at least it was listen-able.
You wouldn't believe the amount of people I know who listen to their parents music ,older brothers/sister , older friends music.
Anything but what's current because music today is so bad.
- Not impressed. All of Madonna's initial top 10 hits were of her, and her alone. Half of Rihanna's have been either featuring someone, or her playing hook singer on someone else's record. Plus the fact that from 1985-1990, if you wanted a single, you had to get your ass to the record store and buy it means more to me than some ditzy teenager today downloading Rihanna's MP3 from iTunes on their mommy's debit card.
- I may be bad, but I'm perfectly good at it.
- Won't somebody please shit in my mouth???!!!!
- r22, anything is better than the shit that was the 80s.
- [italic]Music industry is in the shitter. I may not be a young guy anymore but I'm glad I grew up when there was great music on the radio.[/italic]
They letting you post on the interweb at the home, gramps?
- [italic]I barely know who Rihanna is and couldn't name one of her songs (without looking it up) to save my life.
I'm only 40. Am I suddenly that out of touch?
ONLY 40?! LMFAO!!!
You're an oldster.
- [italic]Unlike Madonna, in a few years we'll all be saying Rihanna who?[/italic]
That's because you're old, and will be dealing with dementia, hon.
- fuck you R26 It beats Rihanna anyday.Enjoy assaulting your ears with your Justin Biebers and Kelly Clarksons AND HOW THE FUCK AM I SUPPOSED TO GROW UP? IM 21 DO YOU WANT TO FAST FORWARD TILL IM 30?
- r30 = 55
- r16 skeeves me out.
- I can't remember ANY of her songs.
- 29 you'll be old one of these days, too. Karma babe, karma.
- So at the same point in their careers, Madonna was wrapping up the Blond Ambition tour, Dick Tracy was still in theaters, Truth or Dare was heading into the editing bay, Justify My Love was about to freak out MTV and the Immaculate Collection was being prepped for release.
Uh ... I wish Rihanna the best of luck with her latest attempt at a gold album. Perhaps this will be the disc that breaks her into the Canadian market.
- I like Rihanna, especially when she sings more Caribbean style.
- Madonna was/is an international superstar, famous the world over. Rhianna, not so much.
- BUMP. Can someone make a thread about how this week, with Rihanna's "Diamonds" reaching #1 on the hot 100, that she has now TIED Madonna for amount of #1 hits? They both now have 12. I think only Mariah has more as far as women are concerned.
- wow big ups to Rihanna! Just to compare:
with her generation so far:
03 Lady Gaga, Adele
01 Taylor Swift
00 Nicki Minaj
compared to divas throughout history:
12 Madonna, Rihanna
05 Barbra, Beyonce, Britney
04 Cher, Donna, Celine, Christina
01 Tina, Patti
- Go Rihanna!!! Can't wait to see the heads of all the racist white queens on DL explode with anger and jealousy when the overrated Hagdonna is overtaken by a gorgeous, YOUNG, Black woman.
- [quote][R19] I'm 21 and think music is am .. not what it was to say the least. Pop music nowadays is atrocious.The 80s pop music might have been cheesy but at least it was listen-able. You wouldn't believe the amount of people I know who listen to their parents music ,older brothers/sister , older friends music. Anything but what's current because music today is so bad.
People listen to that old crap thanks to availability via the Internet. The 1980s were atrocious. The 90s actually had better shit. Pop is pop and that includes today, grandpa.
- R23, Madonna only got a career thanks to the music video. Rihanna having the added bonus of MP3s is the same as Madonna having the added bonus of the music video. Also, people sell less thanks to illegal downloads, so Rihanna would have sold even more.
Half of Rihanna's singles are not featuring, you dope. R&B and hip hop has always sampled. Madonna has done it too. Deal with the fact that you're old and bitter.
- [quote]Madonna was/is an international superstar, famous the world over. Rhianna, not so much.
Bwahahaha! That's like saying Germans don't know who Obama is. Rihanna is a humongous international star. She's also not America.
- [quote]fuck you [R26] It beats Rihanna anyday
Absolutely does not. That's the Like A Virgin decade.
- R17, if you barely know who Rihanna is, there's nothing "sudden" about you being out of touch.
"Umbrella" was one of the biggest hits of 2007 - FIVE years ago. It won the Grammy for Record of the Year and Song of the Year in early 2008. Before that, if you hadn't heard "Pon de Replay", "SOS" and "Unfaithful" in 2005-2006 that means you had at least stopped listening to what was popular seven or eight years ago.
And you also probably don't go to the gym. That's where I heard all of the songs listed above for the first time (in New York) and in Sweden and Denmark now it's where I hear her latest work -- to the point where it's overkill -- and yet I still think "Only Girl in the World" and "S&M" are the sexiest fucking songs I've heard in years.
And to R37, I'm almost hesitate to ask if are you American? Or is it too obvious? Have you watched MTV in Europe? Checked out our Top 20 songs in Scandinavia?
Rihanna's biggest hits have been produced by Norwegians, much as some of Madonna's songs have been written by Swedes. My friends love Madonna and several went to Göteborg to go to her concert despite the controversy all over Europe about how bad it was. And yet she's not in radio circulation much at all.
- I should have written to R37 "I'm also hesitant..." to ask. My English has suffered since I returned to Europe, clearly.
- This thread is so funny because Rihanna is actually quoted as saying she wants to be "the black Madonna" and she IS. Gaga gets most of the Madge comparisons because they're both white and blonde, but when you look at Rihanna's videography, her near constant image reinvention, and her fashion icon status, it's pure next gen Madonna. Moody love songs, edgy sexuality, gleefully flaunting her body and pushing sexual envelopes. It's all there. The woman had a #1 single called S&M for god's sake.
She's omnipresent and uses her sexuality in a way that none of her contemporaries have the guts to do or could even get away with. She has that it factor that drives people wild, which is EXACTLY what Madonna had when she was at her biggest.
And it speaks to where we are now as a society that a black girl from Barbados has actually picked up where Madge left off. Honestly I don't think it should be a comparison or fight between the fans of both. Rihanna has taken the Madonna playbook and updated it for the digital generation.
I think Madge would be proud.
- Rihanna sounds like a goat caught in some barbed wire fence.
- Rihanna is talented. However she needs to not get back with Chris Brown, it sends the wrong message to the children.
- I think you mean Madonna, R48. She's the one who bleats.
- R47, how dare you post a sane post on one of these ___ vs Madonna threads.
- [quote]She's the one who bleats.
Girls! Girls! You both sound like goats!
- Rihanna has now surpassed Madonna in every way. She is the undisputed Queen of Pop. Madonna must be envious of her achievements and stellar back catalog.
- I have never heard a Rihanna "song," except for some short caterwalling on various "entertainment" programs. Is she that black girl who had the shit beat out of her by her boyfriend a few years ago? She's not very bright, is she?
- Goat with a microphone
- I love her song "Loveeeeeee Song." Very avant garde take on 90s R&B.
- I have no clue what songs she has done. I only know her from tabloids.
- I haven't read through all of the posts, nor do I know the details of this record, nor am I a fan of either of these two, but...does record breaking these days take into a account that we're now a global economy and the internet means that if someone does something meme-worthy in Des Moines, someone in Auckland will hear about it within minutes?
I mean Rihanna can get her music heard within seconds of releasing it by hundreds of millions of people.
Artists from the past didn't have the instant-marketing.
- R38 and R39 thanks for those stats! Yeah someone make a thread about those stats. Rihanna has CAUGHT up to Vadge with #1 singles on the hot 100!!
R47 there is a big difference. Rihanna is beautiful and sexy while Vadge always had more of a forced sexuality...she was never naturally beautiful or sexy...she had to dress up as other people (Marilyn Monroe etc) and play an act. I always thought of Vadge as more provocative than sexy.
- No one with any brains or taste knows or cares who this Rihanna chick is. Irrelevant and non-existent in our world. The end.
- vadgestans in meltdown mode.
- If Rihanna is better than Madona because she now has more number 1 songs, then that means that Mariah is better than than those ladies AND Elvis since she has more number ones than all of them.
- R62 first of all, learn to read. Rihanna does not have more #1 songs than Vadge: she now TIED Vadge with "Diamonds" going to #1.
Also, of course Mariah is better than both by a wide margin but it's not because she has the most #1 songs. It's because Mariah is a much better singer and artist than either could dream of.
and eew @ Elvis.
Continue weeping and being pressed, racist Vadgestans!
- Maybe Madonna having her record threatened by Rihannawill actually be motivated to FOCUS on her music instead of releasing crap she knows won't chart.
- Quick, name three Rihanna songs ... *crickets*
- Not so hard, R65:
Pon de Replay, SOS, Unfaithful, Umbrella, Shut Up and Drive, Don't Stop the Music, Take a Bow, Disturbia, Rude Boy, Only Girl in the World, S&M, California King Bed, Man Down, We Found Love, Diamonds.
And that's just solo.
- r65 there several listed at R45 before you even posted. You're behind and slow in many ways.
Quick: scroll back and see how out of it you are.
- She has yet to put an actually realized, cohesive album since Good Girl Gone Bad. Her singles are great, but her albums are terrible. Nothing but fillers.
- Cohesive album?
It's pop music. Don't be so pretentious.
- r68, actually I think 'Loud' (the album with the singles Only Girl In The World, What's My Name, S&M, California King Bed) was an extremely cohesive album with really no filler. Every song on there could have legitimately been a single.
- Rihanna breaks Madonna's record. .. So??????
- This thread is so depressing. Quick, name three three Pulitzer prize winning authors! That's when we'll hear the crickets.
- Luvs it! I'm sure Rihanna will able to muster at least 1 more #1 song which will put her ahead of Vadge. Then her stans will really flip out.
- R72, how about Harper Lee, Eugene O'Neill, Edward Albee...
Why are you posting on this thread exactly?
- "vadgestans in meltdown mode."
The only one in "meltdown mode" is the anti-Madonna troll, who thinks the name "Vadge" is clever. Seriously, where do you see the meltdowns? I mean, other than the voices in your head.
- [quote]Record nowadays mean nothing. Someone bought a Rhianna song by clicking a mouse twice. Yippeee. In Madonna and other past artists day you had to get in a car and go to a record store. They made an effort to get buy it.
As far as I know Madonna is still making music, so the same internet music buying methods apply to her. Rhianna must have more fans. That's all.
- I've been coming to DL for four years now. I have yet to read a comment which says poster x is mad because blank is white. Yet "you don't like him/ her because he/ she is black" is the first excuse given whenever some poster doesn't like a famous black person. There are a lot of deeply insecure black people who take these things personally.
I like Rihanna. I'm fascinated by her career because it's like no other comtemporary mainstream singer. She releases albums almost every year. No other singer does that. Why? Rihanna is the queen of urban radio. Every song she puts out will make it to the top 5 most played. It's because of her radio dominance that she is able to climb to #1 on the Billboard Hot 100 so many times in such a short amount of time. The market is also very receptive to female solo pop singers right now.
- [quote]She releases albums almost every year. No other singer does that. Why?
She's a singles artist. She doesn't move a lot of albums. Although I've noticed that while Katy Perry is a singles artist as well her albums have a longer shelf life. Katy is still getting singles out of California Dreams (or whatever it's called) and that came out in 2010.
- I think Rihanna is very similar to Britney minus the crazy years. They both don't put on airs of being artists of substance or great talents. They both seem to want to put out the best material they can and they have good people behind the scenes who faciliate that. It's worked out well for them.
- I wonder if Rihanna will take a break after this album runs its course (end of 2013). She can't possibly keep going at this pace. She's already been showing signs of burnout and craziness since 2010. I'm glad she's fucking up Vadge's place in music history though. I'm sure Rihanna will get more #1 hits in the future too.
- Nope, r68, not having it.
Rated R was a GREAT album. It was dark and moody and reflected exactly what she was going through at the time. It made a lot of 10 best lists that year and is widely seen as Rihanna's "Velvet Rope" moment. YouTube a song called "Cold Case Love" which was about the Chris Brown situation. Rated R was her most cohesive artistic statement to date. Frankly, I'm not sure she'll have another record that strong as a whole.
Loud is a good CD too, definitely the turning point where her people decided to just jam pack her releases with hit after hit after hit, but I point to Rated R when people question her as an artist.
- And Rihanna doesn't look absolutely disgusting writhing around on stage wearing fishnets. She has that going for her too!
- lol R82 yeah Vadge needs to give that up. Rihanna is on a high now.
- It always amazes me as to who climbs to the top of music and starts breaking records. Who would have though Rihanna and Madonna would be tied for second place among female solo acts?
- Vadge will probably start hating on Rihanna now since she's threatening her records. Gaga will then swoop in to finish the old hag off.
- "I'm glad she's fucking up Vadge's place in music history though."
Can't breathe from laughing so hard!
- Rihanna might as well surpass Vadge...from 1 non-talent to another. At least Rihanna is pretty and sexy and doesn't have that fucking awful front tooth gap.
- They are both terrible in my opinion. It just goes to show how much bad taste there is in pop music.
- Vadge has done her part in ruining pop music. I don't blame her for trying to become to rich and famous when she was younger but damn does her catalogue suck. She's trashy, tacky and untalented. Rihanna is a modern version of Vadge except she's much prettier, sexier, and can call upon a bit of Caribbean edge from time to time in her look and sound.
- I'm wondering why RiRi is pretty though. Her father is light, almost white and awful looking, and her mother is dark & awful looking. Her brother is awful looking.
She's lighter like her father and was definitely very pretty as a teen, but she wears green contacts over her brown eyes and has an enormous forehead.
And one thing she has in common with Vadge is enormous thighs.
- R90 she doesn't wear contacts...her eyes are either green or hazel...and she is a beautiful girl. Plenty of people with ugly parents end up getting the combo of their best features and it works out for them lol.
- [italic] "BRAKES?!?!??!!? [/italic]
This site has certainly gone down the shitter.