- Hopefully dead.
- I adore her. And hope she''ll get happier again.
- [quote]And hope she''ll get happier again.%0D\
Why? Who said she was unhappy?%0D\
R1 is a horrible person.
- R3, so is Janeanne Garofalo.
- She was a regular on that creepy version of Criminal Minds - LA. Terrible show. The cops were as bizarre as the villains they chased. That is the only TV show that made me want to take a bath after watching it.
- No, dear, "horrible" people would be those who wish someone who hasn''t done something wrong is "dead."\
What exactly did she do that was so horrible, R4?
- Most likely, she''s home alone,chainsmoking and rocking herself back and forth in the dark.
- She needs to get off of the Adderal.
- Her Criminal Minds show was canceled.\
She''s been on Keith Olbermann''s show three or four times in the last few months.
- Janeane Garofalo...that''s a thing, right?
- She is one of the nastiest people around. Even Coulter kept from throwing tantrums like little Janeanne. Janeanne is like watching a train wreck, and not the entertaining kind. She is just angry. Angry at life. Angry at the world, and hates everyone.
- r9, Keith''s been on Current for how many months now?
- I agree r11.
- Not sure r12. Maybe four or five?\
But Garofalo has been on it quite a few times.
- [quote]But Garofalo has been on it quite a few times.%0D\
Makes sense, she''s gotta helluva lotta things to say ''bout ahelluva lotta things.%0D\
- Right before Bill Maher went on break, he mentioned she''ll be one of his guests at some point when he returns.
- I love Janeane and think she''s very smart and funny. I don''t care what you cunts say.
- I saw her once in West Hollywood. She had the weirdest walk, she was swinging her arms like a monkey. At the time I thought she was doing it as a joke.
- R15 - LOL
- I adore Janeanne Garofalo, she''s awesome!\
I especially love that she''s ok with being herself, au naturel, as opposed to always getting painted and gussied up like most whores.
- She was on Bill Maher. She clearly is intelligent but she needs a stylist. In your 40s the hoodie/hipster thing doesn''t work.\
I wish she would pull a Rachel Maddow and spiff it up a bit so people would take her more seriously.
- Recently I heard her interviewed on some satellite radio comedy station and she was so peculiar that I listened for a good fifteen minutes before finally confirming that it was her. Not only was she pissed off, but she was rather pathetic in her resignation of having had her career intentionally and irreparably wrecked by unseen high-up forces and tangled conspiracies. \
Two or three years earlier, I recall hearing her go on about the elaborate surveillance to which she was subjected, continuously, every where. (Yet a year ago she was on Bill Maher and seemed relatively together and sensible.) Something happened with her a while back and it seems she went off the deep end; the lines between truth, perception, opinion, exaggeration, and fucking crazy and all a blur with her it seems. It''s a shame because, while I was never a huge fan, she used to have her wits about her and was sharp as well as sharp witted; now she just makes me think that she needs help.
- She does this funny bit about everyone thinking she''s a lesbian. \
Smart cookie, too smart for Hollywood.
- She''s in The Bell Jar honey
- She has a comedy special that''s available on Netflix. I watched it last week. Was painful to watch. Wasn''t anything funny about it at all.
- I love her bit about her nightly workout regimen: "Drink a screwdriver, couple bowls of cereal, then straight to bed!"
- I''d like to see her go head-to-head with Rosie O''Donnell in an angry dance-off. I don''t know who would win, but it would definitely be a fight to the death.
- she has fibromayalgia?
- she has fibromyalgia?
- It's now very easy for the feds to put high profile dissidents under blatant surveillance because, if they speak about it, everyone assumes they are crazy.
Usually, they can burrow deep into your life without you ever knowing, but sometimes following is just a way of harassing people, to make them scared. And sometimes, it isn't even the feds -- it is just people that are mad at you and are screwing with your head. But talking about that makes others think you are nuts.
Those actors who went to Canada because they thought they were on an anti-entertainment hit list were treated badly until Ronni Chasen died, and those artists (Duncan and Blake) who feared Scientology so much they committed suicide were treated as poor victims of their own delusions until the divorced wife of a Scientology actor subsequently noted the similar ways that she had been harassed after leaving the Church.
It may have not been the feds that were messing with Janeanne, but that doesn't mean she wasn't getting messed with.
I started wondering about all of this after Iris Chang committed suicide -- maybe the Japanese government wasn't messing with her, but maybe some Japanese Nationalist group was...
- Isn''t she connected to some Scientology offshoot?\
Haven''t kept up with her. She was great in her heyday.
- R8 how would you know if she was on adderall? Hm, are you an adderall whisperer or something?
- She''s weirdly sexy.
- R32, I have no idea if JG is on Adderall or not but some people use it to lose weight and to keep weight off.
- [quote]I especially love that she''s ok with being herself, au naturel, as opposed to always getting painted and gussied up like most whores\
A few years ago she was on a talkshow, maybe Letterman, after having had a tragic fake-tan incident. She was so deep-orange that for some time I thought that she was doing some schtick, that is was a gag of some sort. But she played it straight without once mentioning her orange skin. Maybe it wasn''t Letterman, as he surely would have said something. Whoever the host was, he was clearly uncomfortable with this orange pissed-off and humorless creature.
- There is a UK comedy panel quiz show that I like called "Nevermind the Buzzcocks".\
For those who don''t know anything about it, it''s basically a pop-music quiz. There are two teams of three "celebrities", most often music or comedy personalities.\
The panelists often let lose with quips and jabs, aimed at each other, and it''s taken as good-natured ribbing. Usually. \
One episode had Jeneanne Garofolo. Can the claim be made anymore that she is a comedienne? She either didn''t get the point of the show, or is just a humourless bitch. While everyone else is having a laugh, she took the whole thing very seriously and seemed angry throughout the entire show. You could tell that she was making everyone else uncomfortable.
- [quote]She either didn''t get the point of the show, or is just a humourless bitch%0D\
Or the British humour didn''t make her laugh and she wasn''t going to fake it.%0D\
It doesn''t make me laugh either and I couldn''t be more English myself, especially ghastly smug shows like that.
- Ah I love buzzcocks and didn''t realise she''d been on. Gonna watch her ep on youtube now, thanks.
- [quote]Or the British humour didn''t make her laugh and she wasn''t going to fake it.\
Then she had no business agreeing to be on a British comedy show! \
She''s been around long enough to know whether or not she "gets" British humour. As a pro, having agreed to appear on a British comedy program she should have gone along with it even if it went over her head. She should have been able to do that without "faking it". She knew what she was getting in to.\
Instead, her choice was to be uptight and miserable-looking.\
Other Americans have appeared on "Buzzcocks" and have had a great time with lots of laughs.\
I used to be a fan. Now she''s a horror show.
- "I couldn''t be more English myself"\
What the fuck?
- I always thought she was a lesbian.Is Janeanne asexual? Has she ever been in a relationship with a man or woman?
- [quote]the British humour didn''t make her laugh...\
It doesn''t make me laugh either and I couldn''t be more English myself\
He''s explaining R40 that he doesn''t have a sense of humor, and can therefore relate to Jeananne''s humorless, constipated appearance while on a comedy show.
- I was saying the British sense of humor doesn''t do it for me. I have a terrific sense of humour thank you.%0D\
That Buzzcock''s thing is smug and not half as funny as it thinks it is.%0D\
But it does sound like Janeane should have put on a better show.
- Only in your mind r21 is Maddow taken seriously.
- [quote]In your 40s the hoodie/hipster thing doesn''t work.%0D\
Romy and Michele
- Does she still have short bleached hair and exposed tattoos?
- I really liked a lot of her work, but she does have some bitterness and blames a lot of other forces.\
For most people I would say this is them not owning their shit. But honestly, I think she has at least a small reason to bitch. I loved The Truth about Cats and Dogs, but honestly, she''s a lovely attractive woman in that film and they acted as if she was Bigfoot''s cancer-ridden sister. \
Hollywood doesn''t really know what to do with intelligence and humor in a woman, and if she isn''t little Miss Giggly Bouncy McFunBags, then she''s a total bitch/whore/cunt. \
She''s grabbed onto the grudge and isn''t letting it go. But I *totally* get why she''s pissed.
- [quote] Has she ever been in a relationship with a man or woman?\
Back in the day when they did his TV sketch show, she was sleeping with Ben Stiller.
- I love her too but part of her problem is she''s so "above" anything mainstream that she torpedoes every opportunity she gets. She *was* adorable in "Truth About Cats & Dogs" but then she went around talking about how cheesy and lame it was. She claims to want to be an actress but derides anything Hollywood produces. Why would anyone in Hollywood keep giving her opportunities after that?
- She is a nasty piece of work. She is about as stupid as a box of hair. She has not been funny or insightful in years.%0D\
Here''s another vote for her to be found hanging in a closet with her feet dangling.
- She''s a friend of Bill now. All the crazy on the inside matches the crazy on the outside. This explains her poor participation in ensemble work. \
Also, warning: us drunks lock into the ''look'' we had the year we got sober. She picked a bad year.
low-rise jeans, lesbian shoes and size ''gay'' tees here
- I loved her in Romy and Michelle.
- [quote]Here''s another vote for her to be found hanging in a closet with her feet dangling.\
Ugh, sorry, but this is just wrong. Are you Dick Cheney?
- [quote]I loved The Truth about Cats and Dogs, but honestly, she''s a lovely attractive woman in that film and they acted as if she was Bigfoot''s cancer-ridden sister.\
They went overboard trying to portray her as some ugly troll who could never attract a date and Uma is not half as hot as people make her out to be. Ever since I saw her feet in Kill Bill that''s all I see when I look at her. Ugly, ugly feet.
- I remember the "Fish out of water" film she did when her character went to Ireland for some reason, and The Object of her Affection was supposed to be a bumpkin but was really a journalist (yada yada yada -- I can hear the pitch in my head)...\
She seemed drugged -- on purpose
- She was at the ten year anniversary celebration of Wet Hot American Summer a couple months ago and was very very funny up on stage. \
I still can''t stop laughing when I think about her scene in Reality Bites where she pretends to be Steve Zahn''s mother as he practices coming out to her. "Oh... Christ."
- We prefer stand-up comics who actually make us laugh.\
And actresses with looks and talent.\
As a general rule.
the TV-watching, movie-going public
- [quote]We prefer stand-up comics who actually make us laugh.\
[quote]And actresses with looks and talent.\
[quote]As a general rule.\
Is this a parody post?
the mostly talentless Hollywood
- Janeane was so big in the 1990s and then she seemed to go under the radar, and a lot of that was because she was basically the poster girl for the grunge/slacker culture of the 90s. When that culture went out of fashion, Jeanean was kind of left behind because she was so identified with it. She also didn''t do anything to break out of that time period either, i.e. she never updated her look - to this day she still dresses like it''s 1993.
- R59, yeah, that happens when one''s mentally ill.
- R46 - I always assumed that hair cut was the traditional Hollywood method to cover up recent plastic surgery -- dye your hair the opposite color & get a dramatic cut. I never did care enough to compare older pictures to see what she had done, but I suspect nose work.
"You look different!" "It''s the hair, silly!"
- "I love her too but part of her problem is she''s so "above" anything mainstream that she torpedoes every opportunity she gets,"\
Several years ago, she was on the bill at one of the Just for Laughs comedy galas in Montreal. She complained from the stage how she was "so not a gala person" and she should have been at one of the smaller alternative comedy club gigs. She probably should have got that anxiety out off-stage, but there you go. After several minutes of not eliciting any laughs, and frankly she wasn''t trying very hard, she said, "I was recently diagnosed with Irritable Bowel Syndrome, so it''s your funeral," which actually is a funny line and makes me laugh just to hear about it.\
I think she got insane toward the end of the Air America debacle.
- And by "hear about it" I meant "think about it."
Coffee, why hast thou forsaken me?
- there are some 2009 photos of her at gettyimages. She went back to the black dark hair, but she is definitely stuck in one look. A lot of people are like that, though.
- She was very funny back in the 90s, I really enjoyed her.
- IMO her Melrose Place bit in "Reality Bites" gets her a lifetime pass.
Halter tops and chokers
- I will fuck her til she loves me.
- I used to try to listen to her Air America show, but it was just terrible. She had this constant monotone rant that made her sound like an unmedicated paranoid schizophrenic, she couldn''t do interviews--just talked over everybody--and used poor Sam Seder as a punching bag. The only times it was bearable was when David Cross showed up, because he refused to succumb to her negative bullshit and insisted on being funny.
- She reminds me of Ellen Page.
- R51''s message is so funny. I think I''ll print it out and frame it.%0D\
- She always seemed so angry and unhappy to me. Her roles also seemed to always be the same - she''s a one trick pony.
- The movie where she is a politician''s aide and goes to Ireland is called The Matchmaker.
- R41--she was in a relationship with Craig Bierko for a while (who is also oddly asexual)
- What happened to her? \
She is no Bill Hicks and surely must know that.
- I think the one trick pony idea is valid. I liked her point of view as a comedian in the early 90s and in The Truth About Cats and Dogs, which played on her offbeat, not mainstream, appeal. After that, I think she tried to stretch and just couldn''t muster it.
- She was never really funny. And her ranting on Air America just made me hate her.
- Her 90''s angst and clunky shoes became trite and went the way of Ryder, Cobain and Daria.
You''re standing on my neck
- R76, that''s what she did on Keith Olbermann''s show.\
Ranted about the Tea party and stuff going on in politics.\
Keith seems amused by her.
- I was a fan..then saw her at a comedy club, drunk, sullen, sneering at the audience who came to see her. Politically, I find her over the top and a poseur. Are she and Ben Stiller good friends? They suck equally, so it makes sense.
- OK cowboy, I don''t know what your trip is, but if this is some kind of a sick game... If you fuck with me, in any way, I will rip each and every appendage from your body, starting with your dick. Capice?
- This is exactly what I mean by DL''s violent misogyny, and if you don''t intervene against it, you are acting in favor of it:\
"Ann Coulter is responsible for that horrible stench that emanates from her dried up gash wherever she goes."\
Your violence against women helps kill queer teens.\
Ann Coulter''s stupidity has nothing to do with her body parts.\
Stop the violence.\
Stop the hate.\
It''s killing us.
- Well, she is a strong woman who is both liberal and very supportive of the gay community.\
But she isn''t classically beautiful and is over 40, so most DL''ers will hate her guts and say nothing but nasty things about her.\
Typical mental illness on display here...
- I'm watching her 2010 stand-up special "If You Will" on LOGO right now. She had a (bad) nose job, right? Her face looks very...odd. Different from her 90s face and not just due to weight loss.
I still think she's funny. Caught part of "Romy & Michelle" recently and she really stands out. A shame no one in Hollywood could figure out what to do with her brand of comedy, though I'm pretty sure she was conflicted about "selling out" to mainstream projects anyway.
- I like Janeane Garofalo and I have no doubt she probably encountered a lot of assholes in the business because she was never a babe and her humor was abrasive. But she always came across as way too sensitive to be in entertainment.
I remember when she was a vocal critic of the Bush administration, she was shocked at the subsequent negative attention. She didn't seem to get that while she had a right to criticize Bush, other people - however stupid - had the right to disagree with her. That's part of the risk of taking a stand; otherwise, you're just preaching in an echo chamber and who cares? If you can't handle the push back, don't open your mouth.
Also, I've read a few interviews where she talks about slights she's experienced. Things that happened years and years ago, things that really could have been interpreted another way. After reading these interviews, I couldn't understand how she had been in the business as long as she has and remained so thin-skinned.
- Isn't she pushing around a shopping cart somewhere?
- I know her fairly well. She was broken by the Hollywood machinery who told her endlessly that she wasn't pretty, was too chubby and basically judged her by her outward appearance as they do any other actress. For 10 years she tried very hard to play the game, and if you look at her standups and roles from the early 90's, she was hardly ugly. But eventually substances got the better of her and she did a complete 180. She seemingly TRIES her best to be as unattractive as possible now, and although I share many of her political leanings, she is so damn strident that the message is often lost.
Honestly I am surprised she is still alive, and I wouldn't be shocked to read one day that she lo longer is.
- R87 what is she on?
- I saw her many years ago, walking her dogs with another guy who was really tall, like over 6'2". Her dog was a huge beast, not sure what breed and was actually walking her, if you get what I mean. She was covered in nasty tats.
- I will not swear this to be a fact, but there was a time that I felt there might be a little H involved. That was about the same time she became heavily tatted and emaciated.
- Well r87 is right, she really is strident. And a mess.
- That is too bad. She was funny, smart. What she embodied was basically a rolemodel for the clique I used to hang out with as a teen in the 90s. By destroying her I'd say her followers got the message: either change or be destroyed too. Nice.
Which was the point and always is the point when a voice is getting too annoying for the powers that be. And a woman, to boot.
- Fuck that smelly Bitch!!!
- Interesting to see all of these roles she either lost or was offered but didn't take -
- I love her. I can listen to her comedy specials hundreds of times. That said, I feel like a lot of her political views are less about promoting liberalism and more about hating Republicans.
- That was pretty interesting to read [R94]. All of those TV shows/films would have been REALLY different had Janeanne been in them.
- She would occasionally bring her conservative dad Carmine onto her political radio show on Air America back during the dark days of the Bush administration, and they'd get in big fights. I had the feeling that growing up in his household really messed her up.
- I like her. She's very intelligent and doesn't do glamour, which is refreshing. Of course a female being intelligent and unglamourous will get you hated by a lot of fucked up people.
I'd take her over that nasty, horse-faced Sarah Silverman any day. If anybody deserves any hatred, it's that nauseating slutbag.
- You should read Sarah Silverman's autobiography (it's best on audiobook, read by her), r98, you might change your (really nasty and hateful) opinion of her. I don't particularly like her comedy, but I like HER immensely, she's a good and kind person, and she's been through a lot. (I also like Garofalo, though, like with Silverman, not her stand up.)
- r94 -
"Friends" with Garafalo would not have done as well as it did.
"Scream" - ok I can see it but Garafalo is not as good of an actress as Courtenay Cox. Garafalo is always droll and low energy in all her roles.
"Jerry Maguire" - maybe a possibility.
"The Fight Club" - would have worked but she turned it down. HBC wasn't great in that role either, it should have gone to Courtney Love imho.
"Princess Fiona" - too droll imho for that part.
- Stop Press. She was seen last night in the Gramercy Park area, by my husband, and he reported that she looked fine, not at all homeless.
- I had forgot about her. Remember seeing her in that high school reunion film.
- Air America was like a perfume tester assortment of progressive broadcasters. The mad ranters like Marc Maron and Janeane Garofalo did not go on to blaze their fame across the firmament. The big successes were the ones who best combined impeccable showmanship and comedy skills with being highly informed and insightful about politics and great at explaining them to the non-expert: Al Franken, who used his radio show as a springboard for his successful senate campaign, and Rachel Maddow, whom Air America basically treated like chopped liver (they replaced her morning show with Cenk fucking Uyghur!) but whom MSNBC was smart enough to snap up.
- What happened is the 90's ended.
- Yes, Marc Maron did go on to blaze his fame across the firmament.
- I really like her. Always have. I hope she writes a great, funny memoir someday.
- r106 reading glasses, that op said that Marc Maron & Janeane G did NOT go on to blaze their fame across the firmament.
- Yes, Marc Maron did go on to blaze His fame across the firmamament. WTF? (Podcast) and its success and Maron's recent fame are as much due to Maron's time at Air America and the experience he gained in radio as Maddow's were.
- She did a long interview with BroadwayWorld about the play she was doing and her career last year.
- She discovered shampoo and it ended her career.
- I remember hearing her on the radio here(Ireland) a few years ago. She came across really well, low key and funny. She acknowledged that she has a problem with alcohol, cider in this case.
- So true, R104.
- Re: aderall (sp?) I saw a YouTube clip of her talking about making her favorite 'drug salad' by crushing up 2 10mg adderal, two 2 mg. xanax and two 20 mg oxycontin together and how it made her feel like a goddess. She showed the bottles (her name and the drug name were on the Rx bottle) and she then took the pills crushed them up put the powder in a half empty juice bottle and drink the juice while on the film clip. The film clipped stopped and then resumed (I would assume once the drugs kicked in) She went on about how it got rid of her social anxiety and got rid of her feeling ugly and made her feel pretty. She ranted about how women are judged by their looks and when they aren't found pretty enough they are also thought to be stupid. She went on about the drug mix and how good it made her feel for about five minutes and then she suddenly stopped and said she would never recommend anyone take medication for anything other than what it was prescribed for, then tried to make it seem like the things she had just said and done before she realized how illegal it was was all just a joke. It was pretty sad. I thought it was pretty low of her friend to post it on you tube.This was about 7-8 years ago I've gone back and looked for it several times but I think it's gone.
I've met her a several times, we have mutual friends, and in 'real life' shes very funny, down to earth and kinda sweet, unless she's stoned or drunk. When she's stoned she can be rude and mean, talking down to people who she thinks are judging her.
Tattoos aside, I think she's an attractive and smart woman who has been made to feel ugly and stupid by the men and women in her life who judge her by HW standards. If she's still taking a bunch of Rx meds I can see how that would make her more than a bit paranoid.
Also she was a cutter at one point in her life
- I used to see her walking two GIANT dogs around Sunset/Crescent Heights about ten years ago. More like they were walking her.
Never understood the Janeanne is ugly stuff. She was always a cute chick, very much of "the real world".
- Joan Rivers really hated her.
- Janeane had a sort of Pia Zadora cuteness that was pretty irresistible. Our culture focuses so tightly on beauty that we often underestimate the power of cute.
-   What exactly has had done to her face? I know she had a nose job sometime in the early 2000s, which she complained about on Air America, but it looks like more was done.
There was also a point in 2009 where she was wearing a wig for some reason.
- [R87] [R113] What exactly has had done to her face? I know she had a nose job sometime in the early 2000s, which she complained about on Air America, but it looks like more was done.
There was also a point in 2009 where she was wearing a wig for some reason.
- How long was she dating Henry Rollins for?
- [R119] 2006-2008, I believe.
- Oddly they're both still single. Why is that R120 ? And why'd they break up?
- She has a boyfriend actually. Can't speak for Rollins.
- Any dirt on Janeane? I'd love to hear it.
- Annoying. I change channels if she's on.
- I saw her do stand-up at the Festival Supreme at USC last October. She told a funny story about a young man thanking her for "giving a good talk". I was surprised by how short and thin she is, like a former elite gymnast.
She was always cute, and still could be. Her downfall was drifting away from stand-up that portrayed her as live action Daria and more toward serious political interviews. When Politically Incorrect used to be on ABC it would annoy me to see her refuse to wear any makeup, not even the men's version where they powder you down in a shade that looks clean faced on screen.
I'll always root for her. I know the cartoon Daria wasn't based on her, but yes it was. I'd love to see her create some sort of Portlandia type show that would demonstrate her point of view comedically. The key word is comedically.
- IMDB says 5'1, but she said on Letterman once that she was 4'11.
- I'm sure the "Wet Hot American Summer" revival will revive her career.
- She's in a sit-com on Bravo.
- Dating Henry Rollins? Is she some kind of masochist?
- She was very attractive/sexy on the West Wing. I was watching her episodes and I didn't even realize it was her until about the fourth time her character appeared. She looked polished and while her character was assertive, she wasn't harsh or obnoxious.
- I once passed her on the street in NYC - maybe 10 years ago. She was dressed like a hoodlum and walking very, very quickly with her head down. If I'd gotten in her way, I have doubt she would have punched me. Seriously.
Oh, and I was surprised at how unattractive she was.
- I thought she was pretty in Cats & Dogs, but don't like her blonde tattooed look now.
- It must have been a bit of a mind fuck to portrayed as the doggy friend (as in that Uma Thurman movie, Cats and Dogs?) when you're actually pretty cute and good looking!
Hopefully the Wet Hot American Summer series is deliberately nauseatingly mawkish like Big Chill and Thirtysomething. That's some cringeworthy comedy there.
- Please. r133 - she took the job in Cats & Dog. She knew what was in the script. In Hollywood movies, the "ugly friend" is never UGLY (by everyday standards) - they just don't have "leading lady" looks. Janeane is supposedly a commedian - if she can't laugh that off she needs to turn in her comedy card.
- [quote]I love Janeane and think she's very smart and funny.
So does she.
- [quote]She acknowledged that she has a problem with alcohol, cider in this case.
Good God! Who has a problem with 'cider' in 21st century America?
Maybe she's the reincarnation of some West Country wench.
- Here she is in 2009, I think this is the wig that a previous poster referred to.
- I saw her shitting in the electronics department at Walmart.
- Here she is struggling with her set.
- R139 that was good, when was that? I thought I'd hate it since she became a really weird shrill political bitch but that was sweet and gentle, and funny.
- [R140] The video says 2009
- I'm surprised how thin she's gotten over the years. Is she anorexic?
- She's only skinny because of Adderall.
- Interesting to look back on this 12 year old interview and realize that Garofalo was right about everything and Brian Kilmeade turned out to be wrong about everything.
- Janeane was a very funny stand-up in the 90s, some of her old stand-up routines are on Youtube. She was excellent at observational humor and talking about her own neuroses in a fun way.
- I have met so many het boys who think she is 'epic'. I don't disagree and love angry women, especially when they have any sense of humour, but yeah, I think she lost her career focus when she started doing TV. She'd been known for a very edgy, insightful kind of poli-humour, going along the lines of Carlin, then guided into movies and TV and away from stand-up. She got caught in the transition gap between the 90's and the Millenial, imo and the Borg do not like it when people don't assimilate. She's not an assimilator, professionally or personally.
And yeah, did she really date that lunkhead Rollins? Talk about a hypocrite!
- Actually, her 90s stand up was non-political.
She does go after younger guys.
- She's on a show called Girlfriend's Guide To Divorce. I downloaded it and I don't think it'd appeal to anyone except women who identify with the women in the show. It'd be boring and probably annoying to anyone else. Janeanne could do better, it's definitely not the best show she could be on, or want to be on, they just met her price.
- I think tomorrow is her last episode.
- She stinks. I don't think she bathes often, and she drinks a lot. She's a pretty miserable person.
- I met her numerous times after shows in NYC, she couldn't be more down to earth. She stopped drinking a long time ago.
- I didn't know she was ever a drunk, is that even confirmed, or just assumed by her haters? I know they've accused her of being drunk on her radio show, but I listened to it religiously and she wasn't drunk. She was on Adderall and said she loved that. I think everyone does, it's sold on the black market for students to help them study. She also started smoking pot again, which she said he hadn't for over a decade. She said her brother, who is now a conservative Repug like the rest of her family, used to deal pot out of their basement when they were kids.
- When did say she started smoking pot again?
- On Air America, I'll take a guess around 2009.
- She always seemed to have body image problems, here she is modeling hair extensions in this video.
- She played the Vet on Broad City.
Fucking funny sitcom!
- r152 Janeane herself has talked about being a recovering alcoholic. She did a stand-up special about three years ago and talked in detail about her intervention. She said some friends of hers came over to her apartment and dumped all of her vodka bottles down the sink. And then they found Janeane's "emergency flask" of vodka that she kept behind the couch. She said she was so pissed that they found that - the way she told the story was very funny.
- Well her father is an alcoholic, so that's where she got it. He's a functioning alky, but she says he gets hammered every night. Can you imagine, the old freeper bitterly ruminating about those "dastardly liberals."
- I read that she considered herself asexual and never felt like having sex, with caused her boyfriend a lot of grief (no, this was not from one of her standup routines)
- She did seem a bit prudish about sex, on her radio show, odd for a liberal. But it's not like she judges others, sex just doesn't seem to interest her much. Or it was just a phase at the time.
- She may not be a spring chicken anymore (she's 50) but she seemed much more attractive before she got all those tattoos.
- A lot of Janeane's issues come from her upbringing. She grew up in a super-Catholic, conservative Republican household which also included her crazy Irish grandmother who was just a complete mental case. And as mentioned, her father was a raging alcoholic. That kind of upbringing would have an effect on anyone.
- [R159] She also says she has social anxiety, which can stifle a person's libido. I don't think she sees a psychiatrist for it.
- She's on GG2D, right now in her last episode.
- R24 What are you doing here? You don't even live here! This is MY apartment! I sign the lease!
- I saw her in Bill Maher a few years back. She was kind of bombing and then she spilled her drink. I had to change the channel after that,
- I don't know much about this Henry Rollins guy. What did he do to make DL dislike him? I want to join the crowd.
- Rollins is in the closet, and refuses to come out.
- Still crazy.
- Why is Janeanne Garofalo leaving GG2D?
- I think someone on another thread said that she didn't like the writing, her character or the showrunner/other actresses. Weird that she didn't hang on a few more episodes though and just take the money.
- Thanks for the info, r171.
- Despite her protestations, she used to have rock-solid onstage confidence. It's that quality I most miss about her now and which reveals itself in a million small ways. That torch has passed to Lena Dunham. I think the Ben Stiller breakup took something out of her even before The Bush Years, but who knows? Her identity was so grounded in 90s hipsterdom that finding an older identity (aside from motherhood) may have been difficult.
Here she is explaining her rationale for horrifying fashion choices:
Gotta disagree with her about the shoes - zany flats scream spunky old lady whose choices for creative expression have been narrowed to footwear.
Wow, you know what, yeah.
Where the fuck am I?
What the fuck happened?
Thank you. Thank you for this.
- R174 aka Janeanne so, tell us whom are you dating?
Are you still drinking?
Inquiring minds, etc. We're a gossip site.
- [quote]Her identity was so grounded in 90s hipsterdom that finding an older identity (aside from motherhood) may have been difficult.
She should just do what Marc Maron did and get a podcast.
- [R176] She doesn't use a computer.
- Her humor and persona would be great on a show like Veep as a campaign manager.
- [quote]Her humor and persona would be great on a show like Veep as a campaign manager.
Been there, done that.
(Though I could see her on Veep as a Congresswoman or a lower-level Cabinet Secretary.)
- She may be a good person but I cannot stand the whole tatted-up, droll, sarcastic, "I hate Republicans" persona that every waitress in every major city puts on.
It's just boring and anti-sexy, that's all.
Who wants to spend their life with a cynical person, not I.
- R177 obviously she answered at R174 unless that was someone impersonating her. So that means she DOES use a computer if that was her.
- R181 = the turnip truck just came by.
- After she bombed onstage at Latitude Festival in 2009, she went backstage to her dressing room and ripped her wig off. It was NOT a pretty sight.
- R183 Is that true?
- [R184] Yes it is. Ask Jon Ronson.
- She'll be at SF Sketchfest this week.
- Looking good with the new lips.
- She's freely admitted to using botox.
- [R183] and [R185] are fucking liars. Janeane wasn't wearing a wig at Latitude. Loads of extensions yes, but a wig, no. She ripped nothing off. Emma Kennedy confirmed this on Twitter.
- I recognize her voice on those AARP commercials "You Don't Know AARP".
- [R152] She said on Sam Seder's show in 2011 that she stopped smoking pot in 2009, because it gave her too much clarity in memory. She said was remembering all her childhood events.
- Both she and Margaret Cho were funny when they first came out but Jesus, now Margaret is the self-proclaimed King of All Gay Men and Janeanne...well she says she's not but she's certainly a good mascot for the Sisters of Sappho.
- When will women realize that fish lips look completely unnatural?
- Here's a recent interview with her.
- [quote]Who wants to spend their life with a cynical person, not I.
Honey, do you realize where you are?
- R192 both of them are straight though. Margaret is completely lying about ever fucking a woman, despite her "I'm a yellow submarine" schtick which is a lie. Everything Cho says is a lie. Her background was never poor, she NEVER hung out with any black people at Lowell HS, and ffs, she went to Lowell HS, which was & is the whitest most Asian public HS with the HIGHEST scores in all of SF. Even now.
I know a lot about Mags since I knew people she hung out with in HS at Lowell, who were all BTW, Asian.
I don't know anything about Janeane, I think she's from the East Coast. But she's never been with women nor wants to be as far as I can tell. She pings but I think there's nothing there.
- She's from Madison, New Jersey. Went to Madison High School with VH1 Classic host Eddie Trunk. Graduated from James E Taylor HS in Katy, TX.
- Thanks for posting that YouTube interview link, r194. Made me like her even more.
- No problem, and here's another one.
- I find her physically quite attractive (great eyes) but when she speaks she sucks the life outta you. Seems like she wants to be the female Lenny Bruce, speaking truth to power or some shit, but winds up pleasing no one, not even herself.
If there was a deli sandwich named for her, would it be The Garafaloaf?
- R199 Jesus, who is that flaming queen interviewing her? America's answer to Alan Carr?
- R200 She was attractive back in the 90s but now she's gotten old and now looks like a middle-aged college professor.
- OK, I didn't like that one, r199. (I'm a middle aged straight guy, dunno, maybe I don't care for flamboyant camp)
One of the things I find perplexing about Janeane (one 'n') and some other comics I'm very fond of - I'm thinking of specifically Marc Maron, but this applies to SO MANY others - is why they choose a profession which requires that they perform and reveal themselves (and all their most loathsome attributes) onstage while asking for their audience's acceptance and approval... while they themselves - at some level - despise themselves. They are so smart and creative, and whether it's Janeane, or Marc, or Patton, I just want to get them a mug of hot cocoa and a blanket and say, you're OK.
- She had some rant about no pubes being disgusting recently right? I say everyone stop trying to reign over people's pubes and let them make their own fucking choice
- R202: She is a bit professorial, you're right. Never thought of it that way. She still seems like she'd be a good friend to have.
- R203 Because it beats doing a mundane day job like the rest of us.
- r206... I'm not sure that's it's about just avoiding a mundane day-job. Most of these comics are smart, creative, come from middle-class or above families. Of course, at this point, she's qualified to do nothing else, and has said so in interviews. But there is some kind of psychological drive for these comics that combines self-hatred with public approval.
- She was just on "Broad City", looking good.
- This was blind item posted today, I believe it's about her.
This actress used to be A list. She was kind of like the Sarah Silverman of her decade, but Sarah has always been nicer. Our former A lister was on some of the greatest television shows of all-time. I am particularly fond of an old pay cable comedy show on which she had a recurring character. The next thing you know she is the lead in movies. She couldn’t handle it though. Stress almost killed her. Even today the stress from that time has led her to have problems such as hair loss. Not just a few hairs, but she is almost bald and has to wear wigs.
- I agree with 208 insofar as she was just on Broad City.
- You're correct r207. If you've watched the documentary of Joan Rivers 'A Piece of Work' you'll see that your diagnosis is accurate. They're insecure narcissists for the most part.
- [quote]One of the things I find perplexing about Janeane (one 'n') and some other comics I'm very fond of - I'm thinking of specifically Marc Maron, but this applies to SO MANY others - is why they choose a profession which requires that they perform and reveal themselves (and all their most loathsome attributes) onstage while asking for their audience's acceptance and approval... while they themselves - at some level - despise themselves. They are so smart and creative, and whether it's Janeane, or Marc, or Patton, I just want to get them a mug of hot cocoa and a blanket and say, you're OK.
- R209 I'm not sure she was ever an A-lister.
- [R213] Yes, but everything else fits.
- Brain dead liberal got what was coming to her.
- Love her. Hope she's doing well.
- When she was nominated for an Emmy, she showed up at the ceremonies in a sweatshirt and pair of jeans
What's wrong with that?
- I love her - she was excellent in Girlfriend's Guide to Divorce.
Hope she does more.
- Tim and Faith looking so skinny.
- Who is she?
Who does she hope to be??
- This was posted on Blind Gossip, this week.
Nothing Funny About Her Stress
[Blind Gossip] This comedic female actor has had a successful career, starring and appearing in more than 50 films and television shows. However, while she has career success, it has been very difficult for her to manage her personal stress level.
A few years ago, she was doing an appearance at a comedy club. Her set did not go well, and she left the stage early. While storming back to her dressing room, she was so distraught that she ripped off her wig… revealing to several shocked onlookers that her real hair was short, thin, brittle hair and had multiple bald patches!
It turns out that she was so stressed out that she was consuming only vitamins and a few bites of food from one meal a day. She was so malnourished that she had lost much of her own hair and was forced to wear wigs just to look “normal”.
Thankfully, she is better now. She has ditched the wig… but still has to wear tons of hair extensions on an everyday basis!
- She went as crazy as Margaret Cho (who is performing at Indian casinos near Palm Springs for $35 a night) only she did it first.
- Here's a new interview she gave to Bitch Magazine.
- I think her collapse is complete.
- I still like the woman even if she is batshit crazy.
R223 Interesting interview. Glad she left that crappy show on Bravo. It's fucking hideous and she's right about it seeming really outdated.
- R223 Could that interview be more kiss ass?
- [R226] How so? It's two women talking to each other.
- She did the graceful thing, waited for her horrible bangs from "Reality Bites" to grow and bowed out of Hollywood society after realizing there would never be a more perfect part for her than "Heather Mooney" in Romy and Michele.
- There's only bangs, now. It happens to everyone, the longer they stay in the LA, Hollywood orbit; they fuss with themselves to the point where stuff starts falling off or they obsessively stick implants on, everywhere.
- Sadly, she was the most enjoyable element on the truly horrible GIRLFRIEND'S GUIDE TO DIVORCE. I never really liked JG as an actor but she's grown on me over time. She needs to find to find a series that's worthy of her talent.
- I could see her as some snarky operative in a Marvel film, actually lol.
She could spar with Downey
- Nobody's going to hire her. She's like the Betty Buckley of comedy—not worth dealing with the batshit self-sabotage when there are so many other talented women out there.
- What the hell is going on with her lower lip? She looks like a stroke victim.
- she is scared
- She's touring the country doing stand up.
- Here she is in a new photo from the new "Wet Hot American American Summer" TV Series.