- Why is there no sound? And which guy is Roddy''s partner?
- Back before people started flashing gang signs for amusement.
- How rich did you have to be to have a "personal" camera of that quality?
- Wow, check out Lee Remick at 2 min. mark. Beautiful.
- Jane Fonda and Julie Andrews. Fonda was a babe.
- I like the one where you can read the lips of someone saying..."Roddy stop with the f-ing camera."\
The say all of them are going to be used in a documentary about his life?
- Wow, so was Julie, actually; the footage of her with her daughter at the end of that one is amazing.
- Booze and cigarettes. No food. No surprise.
- So who was Roddy''s boyfriend. I say it''s the guy in the striped tank passing out drinks in several of the videos.
- Rock Hudson talking to Judy Garland at 5min. mark. \
These are great, OP. Thanks!
- These are great, OP. Thanks for posting.
- paul newman in a tighty-whitie kind of suit.
- Is this Roddy''s bf at 1:44?
- Wow, Lee Remick was so much prettier here than she was in the movies.
- isn''t this a treasure trove!?\
i have to give credit to Joe My God. that''s where i first saw this.
- love all of this. I would have been a very small child when these were filmed but I love seeing these.\
- I have seen Roddy''s house in LA. It was a nice but somewhat ordinary ranch style. He was not rich.
- Who is the guy with Natalie Wood? It''s not Richard Gregson.
- It''s all a little depressing and I can''t quite say why.
- Malibu real estate = rich. On the beach = rich enough.
- R20, the house Roddy owned was in Studio City just over the hill from the Hollywood Hills section on your way to the "Valley".\
That house in the videos in 1965 he rented not owned.
- How cute is Roddy at 15sec and 30 secs in this clip. I would date him.
- The guy putting up the net for volleyball her I am pretty certain was Roddy bf. Last name Rosenthal.
- Thank you thank you thank yuou OP!%0D\
God, Jane Fonda, and Tuesday Weld were hot as fuck.%0D\
And Lee Remick was breathtaking.
- Ed Rosenthal is the man''s name.
- I''m sorry but they were all so beautiful. That era has passed. And I am totaly digging men in the tighty boxer trunks.
- There''s no volume, but I''m pretty sure the original version was dubbed with Connie Francis singing, "Where the Boys Are."
- Is Ed Rosenthal still alive anyone know?
- No pretty sure it is Tim Rosenthal, not Ed.
- So, Natalie hung out with Kirk after he was they guy who supposedly raped her? \
Or am I confabulating this story?
- After seeing the volleyball net clip I am pretty certain Roddy must have been a top.
- Kirk raped Natalie, but as long as you weren''t a large body of water she could be remarkably resilient.
- Christopher Plummer\
Sal Mineo \
Natalie Wood \
Juliet Mills \
Malibu 1965. Silent home movies given to me personally by Roddy McDowall.
- Is that his wife and kids in the first clip. The poodle makes him seem a little gay.
- Roddy''s dog was a doxie. They always had them in his family growing up.\
The kids and wife are Dominick Dunne''s...they had a place down the beach from Roddy.
- Troy Donahue\
Merle Oberon \
- the ubiquitous cigarettes!!!
- Things in these movies that are now illegal.\
No Dogs on the beach!\
No Smoking on the beach!\
No Drinking on the beach!
- All the hot men had nice naturally fit bods without being pumped up. Nearly all chests are hairless.
- Natalie Wood was in all of them. Sal Mineo!!
- There were very few gyms back then. The gym for most people was the local YMCA.\
Workout Gyms were for Arnold, Jack La Lane, and the Venice muscle beach crowd, not normal people. \
The fitness obsession hadn''t happened, and yet, nobody was fat.\
Maybe it was all the cigarettes.
- Why did Bacall and Robards divorce?
- R42 the grounds were unusual cruelty. Jason wouldn''t allow High Point Decaf coffee in his house. He was a Hills Brothers fan. Lauren''s love for High Point is well known.\
Lauren threw Jason and Hills Brothers out and they never darkened her door again.
- R41 They ate less.\
Walmart parking lots are filled with obese smokers.
- No one really speaks of Hope Lange any more and that truly saddens me.
- I do think there was a general realization that you had to stay in shape if you wanted movie roles.%0D\
Natalie Wood was gorgeous, but in some of those films she is wearing thick mascara which she didn''t need.%0D\
Can''t get over how gorgeous Lee Remick was (sans makeup).%0D\
Even silent, Lauren Bacall looks like a bitch.
- I didn''t see an food at all except hot dogs and wine if you count that in any of those videos...
- People drank more and smoked a lot back then. If you do those two things, you don''t get hungry very much.
- [quote]I do think there was a general realization that you had to stay in shape if you wanted movie roles.\
Everyone was thin back then.\
The fat lady in the carnival weighted 200lbs!
- Too bad there aren''t any movies of Natalie being pushed in the water. Ain''t that right, RJ?
- How long until Bacall sees these online and either sues for residuals or has them taken down?
- R33 / R36 - are you soapbxprod on Youtube? Carole or Luke? %0D\
I''m just wondering under what circumstances Roddy gave these films to the poster, because I''m pretty sure I saw in one of the youtube comments that the poster soapbxprod him (or her!)self alluded to the Roddy rumour about "keeping memoirs locked up for 100 years after his death." %0D\
Releasing these is to do with raising funds for documentary is that right? Also does anyone know if home movie cameras back in 65 did record sound? Presumably Roddy had a really flashy expensive camera!
curious Roddy fan
- Christopher Plummer was such a handsome man.
- Hope Lange was gorgeous.
- they are almost all dead.
- I wonder if Christopher Walken turned to RJ and quipped, "You''re gonna need a bigger boat."
- I love how untouched by plastic surgery everyone was back then, such expressive faces.
- and cute wrinkles and moles and uncapped teeth....\
- Ther''s a funny balding guy with a furry chest in a few of these. Nice bod. %0D\
Who is he?
- The parties are very low-key--just like any casual groups of friends/family getting together. The decor is equally middle-class---none of the strenously expensive settings that became commonplace in the Reagan era. I wonder if this sort of social life still exists in Hollywood?%0D\
Natalie Wood is tiny!
- And adorable!
- When Roddy was a child star at MGM, his mother decided that he and the other children he worked with should have some kind of normalcy so she hosted children''s parties for all of them. When Roddy got older he decided to continue the idea with weekend barbecues at the beach. The idea was to be very low key and informal, hot dogs, hamburgers and beer.
- The rich are different from you and me. *sigh*
- Seems Suzanne Pleshette was a frequent guest at these soirees!
- Can''t wikileaks or anonymous or somebody crack open his secret memoirs and spill?
- I don''t think there was any time and place in the entire history of the world more golden than SoCal (especially Malibu0 in 1965. Also the clothes and hair at that time were great - just think of the bad hair and awful clothes to come 10 and 20 years later in 75 and 85 respectively. And whoever "Rosenthal" was I want him badly (well as he was 46 years ago).
- "I love how untouched by plastic surgery everyone was back then, such expressive faces"%0D\
You are awfully naive if you think plastic surgery didn''t exist then%0D\
"Everyone was thin back then."%0D\
No, not everyone was thin. I knew plenty of people growing up who were far from thin. These people are movie stars - movie stars are thinner than the average person. Duh. Kind of stupid to assume that everyone was thin based on footage of people whose livelihood revolved around maintaining a low body weight.
- dang. party-pooper-much, r68?
- Are there really memoirs, or was that a bunch of bs?\
Roddy was a frigging babe!
- [quote]No, not everyone was thin. I knew plenty of people growing up who were far from thin. These people are movie stars - movie stars are thinner than the average person. Duh. Kind of stupid to assume that everyone was thin based on footage of people whose livelihood revolved around maintaining a low body weight.\
Where did you grow-up? When I was growing up in NY none of my aunts or uncles, or their friends were over weight.
- Some really hot guys, the blond one hanging with Sal Mineo, ruff!
- I''ve watched a number of the videos through youtube... I wish whoever had posted them would have added names to the clips. Honestly, I don''t know who many of the party attendees are - I keep thinking I''m missing out on "oh my gosh - really?"
- [quote] Some really hot guys, the blond one hanging with Sal Mineo, ruff!\
The blond looks like a young Richard Hatch (of ''Battlestar Galactica'' not ''Survivor'').
- many attractive people - Roddy, Rock, Paul Newman, Robert Redford, Tuesday Weld, Lee Remick, Hope Lange. I even like how Lauren Bacall looks in these films.%0D\
I love the mid 60s fashion style - that''s big part of it
- I think it''s because we know how tragically some of them died,r19. Mineo,Wood and all those cigarettes!%0D\
And who is this jaw dropping beauty at the 2:05 mark? I think it''s Robert Walker Jr.,son of Jennifer Jones,correct?%0D\
I can''t get enough of looking at him!
- Was sal mineo killed by a trick?
- R77-No, it was a random robbery attempt in the parking lot of his apartment. He had just returned home from rehearsals of a play he was directing.
- So many of them I cannot place and that is frustrating. I also agree that, even in a silent film, Lauren Bacall looks like a huge bitch!
- Click on the link to Roddy McDowall movies. Awesome footage......\
[see YouTube video]\
by: Anonymous\\treply 30\\t09/06/2011 @ 12:15AM
- Natalie Wood is adorable in these movies!
- "The 9 Most Glamorous Moments in Roddy McDowall%E2%80%99s Unbelievable, Star-Laden Home Movies "
- Christopher Isherwood on the "Inside Daisy Clover" set at about 1:15.
- I wish Tuesday Weld had been a more well-adjusted person with better management. She was beautiful & talented, yet worked so little. Thalia Menninger on the Dobie Gillis show is one of my favorite characters ever -- & she was just a teenager when she did that so well. She looks happy in these, playing with the dog.
- I love Judy Garland giving the stink-eye to Lauren Bacall. Probably thinking "Christ, what a bitch."
http://www-movieline-com.vimg.net/images/Screen shot 2011-09-06 at 10.35.13 AM.png
- yes, r76, that is indeed Robert Walker, Jr. He would have been about 25 when that was shot.
- Not a George Segal fan, but boy does he look young and handsome here. I swear I see a Beach Boy, too-- Dennis?
- Thank you,r86 for the clarification. Is that also his mother Jennifer at the beginning with the short jet black hair?%0D\
And I agree with r87,Segal looks so hot! And is that James Fox stroking Segal''s hair?%0D\
- Natalie Wood''s constant, annoying mugging for the camera makes her seem very needy.
- Great stuff. Fodder for tons of glossy ads in Vogue.
- what about Jane Fonda''s mugging for the camera?
- Everyone looks so stylish, compared to now.\
But you know that percolated coffee tasted like shit. And everyone''s breath smelled like an ashtray.
- but strawberries and tomatoes tasted better back then, R92
- r 75: The mid-''60s styles are classic and timeless. If everyone in these films were weating ''mod'' 1970s styles, the films would seem campy and slightly ridiculous.
- I agree r94. Classic, elegant, and timeless.%0D\
I have photos from the 60s of my parents looking equally elegant and classy. %0D\
Why can''t those days return?
- What is so bizarre for me is seeing these stars in such a normal, middle class setting. Julie Andrews drives herself and her daughter away in a station wagon.\
Did I see Tammy Grimes there? And who is the woman in the yellow hat and parasol? She looks like Natalie Shafer, "Lovie", from Gilligan''s Island.\
My favorite moment is Ben Gazzara kissing Paul Newman goodbye on the lips.
- "Why can''t those days return?"%0D\
They are, just tune in to ABC''s "Pan Am" this fall. %0D\
- Then: ciggies%0D\
- Did anyone catch Dominic Dunne and his wife Lenny? They were part of that scene at the time. His first big run at star fucking in the wake of his heiress wife. %0D\
Love Natalie Wood- gorgeous. Yeah she mugs, but seems nice. Fonda seems very "done" and thus a bit insecure- being the Hollywood bombshell. %0D\
Nice the beach houses in those days really were beach houses. Not anymore.%0D\
Paul Newman, hottest man in Hollywood. %0D\
These are terrific, will look at closer at the end of the day at home. For all the nastiness on DL these days, this thread makes it worth the bother.
- thanks, charlie!
- Looks like a scene out of Rosemary''s Baby.
for some reason
- Richard Attenborough looks like Ricky Gervais'' dad.
- thank you, op
you made an old man very happy
- [quote]Then: ciggies\
You are so right. Everyone would be texting, and checking their emails, and talking on the phone if this were a party taking place today. \
What I like about these clips is that even without audio you can tell that people are engaged in their conversations and focused on each other. No distractions, except for the ciggies, of course.
- NEW ONES posted today!%0D\
LIZ SCOTT at 1:08!!!
- Tuesday Weld, gorgeous but out-of-it
- Hot off the griddle...%0D\
Roddy McDowall Elizabeth Ashley Lauren Bacall George Axelrod Dennis Hopper Brooke Hayward April 1965
- I want to see more Liz Scott and less Lauren Bacall.%0D\
I wonder if Roddy ever had them over at the same time?
- r107 do you know which one is Brooke Hayward?
- R109-Playing with her kids in the grass. Long brown hair.
- ...so one of those kids wrote HAYWIRE...?\
- ...wait, never mind... i remember now - SHE wrote HAYWIRE about her mother margaret sullavan....
- Roddy died of lung cancer probably from all those marlboros....
- Lizabeth Scott. What a fantastic dyke!
- OK now which one is Elizabeth Scott? Is she wearing a scarf?
- Judy and Lauren were probably chatting about Sinatra''s sizemeat that they both enjoyed at one time or another. Maybe Lauren had dropped a little tidbit about one of their sessions and Judy was jealous because Frank never did that with her.\
I love seeing Ruth Gordon just chattering away with the hand movements. They all look self- conscious in front of the camera, which is odd considering the work they were involved in.
- My Mary comment is that these clips are a gift of the gods - a treasure trove of behavior, fashion, social demeanor, class and classlessness - I''m lighting a candle for Roddy and for the person posting them.
- I doubt it, R116. There was nothing Judy wouldn''t do, including taking it up the ass.
- r 115: Liz is wearing the chartreuse ribbed sweater. Her hair is in a "Dutch Boy" crop.%0D\
AMEN, r 114! She''s dreamy!
- she is sexy-looking; so her career took a hit when a tabloid accused her of hiring female callgirls?%0D\
- Yes, R120, but I don''t think she cared all that much.%0D\
Such is the power of The Pussy.%0D
- why would she have had to use hookers, though?%0D\
she was smoking hot. there were plenty of hollywood lesbians around...
- Liz (known as "Scotty" to her buds) sued Confidential magazine in 1955 for an article claiming that she spent her off-work hours with "Hollywood''s weird society of baritone babes" and that her name was found on the clients'' list belonging to a call-girl agency. The suit was dismissed on a technicality.%0D\
CONFIDENTIAL also said that Scotty was burning up bedsheets in Paris. Oo La La!
I Love Liz
- r 122: Maybe, like Travolta and Cruise, she just found it easier to hire same-sex hookers.%0D\
She''s still alive.
- CONFIDENTIAL noted that Scotty had an affair with Frede, Paris city''s most ''notorious lesbian queen and the operator of a night club devoted exclusively to entertaining deviates like herself''. %0D\
Off screen she was plain ''Scotty'', an avid hater of lipstick, frilly dresses and ''frilly, fussy females''. She wore only men''s cologne, slept in men''s pyjamas and didn''t bother pretending to date men. She was an outsider and a defiant ''strange girl'' at a time of such hyperfeminity.%0D\
- Here''s a pic of Lizabeth from 2007, when she was 85. Wow!
- Scroll down for another pic of then-85 year-old lesbian minx Lizabeth.
- Too much plastic surgery!!
- Is Soapbxprod a DLer?
- What was up with Paul Newman? His left hand is bandaged and he has a big scab on the bridge of his nose.
- racing car accident with La Newman?
- Joanne beat the shit out of him when he grabbed Roddy by the ass.
- Emma Matzo rules!
- More please!!
- Who is the balding blonde hot guy with the hairy chest and white swim suit? He tongue kisses a blonde woman with a blue head kerchief and I wanna know who she is, too!%0D\
RJ Wagner smiling into the camera could melt anyone''s heart!%0D\
Is that Broadway''s Larry Kert smoking with Tammy Grimes? Jeez, even Tony Perkins is smoking!%0D\
- Even Roddy M. is!! Oh, wait, you meant nicotine....
- Thank you for this thread, OP. My mommy and me spent a good portion of our Sunday afternoon looking at all these vids together and she told me who was who. I cherished the time. So fun. %0D\
I love having a mom that knows who is who in the world of the better days of entertainment. She''s taught me so much.
- R137 you''re not that motherlover from All That Chat are you?%0D\
R135 I thought I saw Larry Kert in one of them too! Can''t remember which one now.%0D\
Does any one know what happened to Roddy''s boyf Ed Rosenthal then?
- We need more comments about smoking. There have only been about 1000 of them. By the way, Rob and Laura lived in New [...].
- I would have preferred to see the movies of George Cukor''s boys only Sunday parties!
- r 135, I asked about him too...someone on YouTube said he is Richard Attenborough. Not sure I believe that.
- [quote]you''re not that motherlover from All That Chat are you?%0D\
His mother kicked the bucket...%0D\
down in the well...%0D\
dramedy I AM FAT
- Two tears in the bucket, motherfuck it!
Lady Chablis, lounging on Roddy''s deck
- I could give Jada a few pointers ...
- Jada would not be her type, methinks.%0D\
think J. Foster or E. Dusku...
- OP I'm a huge fan of classic Hollywood those home movies streamed a lot of sunshine my way! Thank you from the bottom of my heart. Hey everyone, look at how Hollywood used to be and the crap we have now? Now that is sad! I agree with the poster who made a great observation. When he or she stated how everyone socialized and there was no texting, no computerized this or that. Aside from the heavy smoking and drinking which is another story, I love the interaction how people with one another because it was a much more healthy environment. That environment is totally contrasting then what we are heading for because of the Silicon Valley egomaniac lunatics like Bill Gates!
Gosh! all the guys are so hot! I think even Dominick Dunne was a hottie in a way and I could have easily had sex with him. Dominick Dunne was so closeted that he never had any sexual encounters with a guy. He omitted he was in the closet in his last novel in which a character was obviously him who was in the closet and came out to his children. They said he knew he was dying when he wrote the book, and it seemed like it was his way of outing himself. Robert Redford never did anything for me before these home movies. After watching these home movies, Holy Moly! that guy was hot! Man What A Stud! George Segal , Ben Gazzara , Paul Newman, and many more. All these guys were mega studs! Even Dennis Hooper was hot! Was he bisexual? Were any of these guys bisexual?
Is it just me or does Lauren Bacall look like she stuck her fingers down her throat? She always seemed like she tried to make everyone believe she grew up in high society when in reality she grew up in a poor background. Did anyone notice Merle Oberon seemed like she was antisocial? She didn't really socialize, but kept to her self.
Has anyone noticed that Natalie Wood went into the ocean and didn't hesitate? And the scene when she jumped into the pool with Robert Redford when they filmed Daisy Clover, she didn't hesitate there either. What is that all about? I have always heard she was enormously terrified of water. The post that someone said Natalie Wood went to the same party, as Kirk Douglas is false. They went at two separate times. When Kirk Douglas was there I noticed Natalie wasn't there.
Another interesting factor was how everyone was very laid back and normal. They had their kids running around, their pets, and they dressed elegant casual. I noticed that a lot of their clothes could easily be worn today.
- But fewer people COULD wear their clothes, size-wise.
- What happened to Ed Rosenthal? Did Roddy live with him a long time or what? They seem really happy together and you can see the sexual tension in the films/videos. Roddy keeps filming Ed''s ass and chest...Ed smiles back adoringly.
- That world seemed so insular. That was a time of major upheaval in America and these people don''t seem to have a care in the world. %0D\
I wonder if today''s Hollywood socializes like that? I only think that seems to resemble that today is George Clooney''s Lake Como get togethers. Also,home movies,especially color,where considered a luxury back then and now everyone has a camera on their phone.%0D\
Btw,these films make me reevaluate the sexuality of some of the participants. Redford and Gazzara never pinged for me until now. And Roddy may not have been as handsome as those fellas''but at his peak he was so my ''type''!
- R138, No, I''m not that person. %0D\
I love my mommy. I don''t LOVE my mommy.
- I think Wood was afraid of deep water. She referred to ''dark water.''
- I love thinking about the work connections between these people in 1965 -- and always. In Hollywood, people who work together pal around together.
I was perplexed seeing Brit James Fox in Hollywood this early until I remembered he was in THE CHASE (with blonds Jane Fonda and Robert Redford).
Roddy McDowell and Tuesday Weld were directed by George Axelrod in LORD LOVE A DUCK, and Tuesday did PRETTY POISON with Anthony Perkins.
Natalie Wood, Christopher Plummer, Robert Redford and Ruth Gordon were all in INSIDE DAISY CLOVER, which also accounts for spouses Tammy Grimes (with Larry Kert in some shots, I believe), Garson Kanin and I think it's Arthur Loew Jr. with Natalie Wood so often. He was connected by family to three major studios and became a producer himself. Even produced the Wood vehicle PENELOPE.
Wood was also in SEX AND THE SINGLE GIRL shortly before these home movies, which might account for Lauren Bacall's presence. Gladys Cooper must have been in Hollywood doing stuff for George Cukor's MY FAIR LADY.
That's director Alan J. Pakula with Hope Lange, they were married for years.
The connections by work and family go on and on . . .
- I want more!!!
I was 29-30 in mid 60''s, and living in L.A./OC.%0D\
These are my people and these are my scenes.%0D\
Just wonderful. I''m shedding tears of bliss.
- How tall was Roddy McDowall? (sp)
- Nice to see hunky actor Alex Cord in one of these. I guess the rumors about him being a friend of Dorothy were true.
- You can sure see what a disgusting creep Anthony Perkins was. Not as smart, not as cute, not as clever, not as interesting as he thought he was.\
With another personality, someone inhabiting that body could have been wonderful. But he was like a toad who didn''t change when his body turned into a prince''s.
- Liz Scott looked pretty hot in the video.
- 158 et al = Helen Keller
- r135 and r141 I sent a message saying that I am pretty sure that balding, blond guy was Rock Hudson''s long time boyfriend Tom Clark, but it disappeared after being posted. Tom and Rock were together for a long time before breaking up. Then, after Rock was diagnosed, Tom re-entered his life and was with him til the end. There is a pic of Tom in one of Rock''s bios and that guy looks a lot like him.
- R157, I agree with you about Anthony Perkins. I think he was just a creep, and he seems really weird. I have heard he was a weirdo.
- What a love about these videos is that it shows Hollywood right before they got really political, uptight, and sour. This is 1965 and in the late 60''s is when things really started to change for the worst.
- Of course, the uptight anti-smoking cunts on here would have told all these people how "disgusting their filthy habit" is.
- By ''69 up went the gates - thanks to Manson.
- [quote]Did anyone notice Merle Oberon seemed like she was antisocial? She didn''t really socialize, but kept to her self. %0D\
I noticed that she was talking to the small children. Very affectionate with them, and dressed very casually. Not at all like the image I had of her.
- R163, you don''t miss a trick, do you? Nowadays most of the people in those pics wouldn''t be smoking, you revisionist asshole addict. \
Go peddle your pathetic lung cancer follies elsewhere - we''re sure everyone in these movies from Bacall on behalf of the dead Bogart to all these friends of the dead-from-cancer Roddy would be glad to spit in your eye for using the movies to grind your axe in favor of your filthy addiction.
- Imagine Madge or Tom Cruise at one of these shindigs...
- r167,I''ve seen lots of pics of George Clooney with his famous celebrity pals and their family in Lake Cuomo.
- [quote]Did anyone notice Merle Oberon seemed like she was antisocial? She didn''t really socialize, but kept to her self. \
She was probably terrified that if she started to make conversation with someone, she might accidentally let something slip about her childhood or her ancestry.
- Except for Selznick, Merle was the oldest person there - she was from another generation and may have felt abit out of place. I did love her Cher-length hair.%0D\
But then, those fabulous old British broads from "another generation" were probably a hell of a lot more fun.%0D\
- Oh dear no, I do believe Ruth Gordon and Cathleen Nesbitt (or is it Gladys Cooper in the white cloche? I always confuse them) each had quite a few years on Merle.%0D\
As has been said before Tuesday Weld, Jane Fonda, Natalie Wood and Lee Remick are just shockingly hot sans makeup! Freckled and dewy!%0D\
And the men are so sexy because they''re naturally slim, fit, hairy and natural. They all look like ADULT men, not like silly boys (Ryan Phillippe and Kellan Lutz,e.g.).
- You make a good point, r164. The makers of the documentary should include that.
- "[R163], you don''t miss a trick, do you? Nowadays most of the people in those pics wouldn''t be smoking, you revisionist asshole addict.\
Go peddle your pathetic lung cancer follies elsewhere - we''re sure everyone in these movies from Bacall on behalf of the dead Bogart to all these friends of the dead-from-cancer Roddy would be glad to spit in your eye for using the movies to grind your axe in favor of your filthy addiction."\
Maybe you should have a ciggie to calm you down?
- Tony Perkins can be seen mouthing to Roddy several times..f--- you over and over again. He seems like a creep with a very strange vibe about him.\
Back to Ed Rosenthal...anyone know anything about him at all other than he was an illustrator? He he still alive? He would probably be in his late 70s by now no?
- R169, what did Merle Oberon have to hide? What was her "secret"?
- [quote]what did Merle Oberon have to hide? What was her "secret"?%0D\
She wasn''t an elegant English lady--she was born Queenie Thompson, with a Welsh father and an Indian mother. She introduced her mother as her maid, supposedly.%0D\
I doubt this secret was well-kept in the industy-was it strictly for public consumption? Her nephew, Michael Korda, wrote a fictionalized account of her life: "Queenie."
- In this one, at 1:48, is it Candy Clark or Sandy Dennis. I thought it was Sandy Dennis.
- No R177, it''s Candy Clark.
- [quote]but kept to her self.\
It''s ''herself,'' darling.
- Candy Clark would have been 18 in 1965 and didn''t appear in a film until 1973. I don''t think it''s her (unless she was on TV) because how would she know these Hollywood folk?%0D\
I think it''s Sandy Dennis (even though the person appears way prettier).
- [quote] Candy Clark would have been 18 in 1965 and didn''t appear in a film until 1973\
1972. Fat City.\
According to IMDB, "Was a fashion model in New York where she moved at age 18."\
So perhaps her connection is to some of the "theatre people" she might have met/known there and came with them on a trip west or was visiting one of them?
- It''s not Sandy Dennis. Stop saying that.
- Good God your an asshole, r166.
And I''m not a smoker
- Darlings, do you know how much pussy I munched on that patio? It would absolutely scandalize you to know.
- Last time I looked Roddy''s hole was not pussy or at least not the kind you usually went for!
- Suzanne, dear, I wouldn''t touch that hole for all of the menthol slims in China.
Lizbeth, contemplating the ocean with a gin and tonic
- You people are weird.
- "Tony Perkins can be seen mouthing to Roddy several times..f--- you over and over again. He seems like a creep with a very strange vibe about him"%0D\
Funny,I thought he was just being playfully sarcastic ans was the most relaxed(for Tony Perkins!)I''ve ever seen him. %0D\
I remember long ago when I took an acting class in college and after I finished a particular scene the teacher said I reminded her of a young Tony Perkins. For some reason I felt insulted by that. But she clarified by saying it was my nervous energy I brought to the scene. And,like Perkins at the time I had issues with my own sexuality. It''s hard for me to view him without thinking how troubled he must have been. It would be wonderful for him to see how times have changed...
- As someone said - the men are attractive/sexy because they look like adults. The women, too, even younger ones look adult (except for maybe Jane Fonda).%0D\
Shows how screwed up our times are with unsexy man-children and women trying to look like girls with all sorts of bad plastic surgery. And all now live in bloated mega-mansions. And get way overpaid to star in shitty, dumb, unwatchable movies. Yuck!
- The only one that I could picture in those home movies now would be Julianne Moore - seriously!
- and me!
- Roddy seems really down to earth and funny. I''ll bet guys were fighting over him to have him for a bf. He is not show offy at all. That is a pretty modest house even if it is right on the water.
- Will someone post one of Monty Clift? He & Roddy were great friends - surely there''s video footage of the most beautiful man ever amongst these gems?!
- to the poster who could see julianne moore there ... oh dear. as the maid, perhaps.
- Roddy McDowell & Liz Taylor were great friends from childhood (when they made "Lassie Come Home" together), so I''m surprised not to see her in any of these home movies.
- Julianne Moore is very dowdy looking when she''s not on the red carpet. In other words, just ''no''.
- R193, Also, Monty and Roddy were an item at one time. Maybe Monty didn''t attend those parties because Monty was just going down hill between the drug abuse and alcohol abuse. Monty died in 1967 so that is two years before for his death. He must have been in awful shape. Monty was the one that got Elizabeth Taylor hooked on drugs.
- sigourney weaver would fit in as well. sans makeup, in capri pants and a simple blouse.
you know i''m right
- Liz was obviously off in LOndon and Europe most of those years fucking and fighting with Burton and making awful films. No time for beach parties!
- [quote]they are almost all dead.
Including Scott Newman. Paul brought his kids and Scott looks to be about 12 or 13.
[quote]Seems Suzanne Pleshette was a frequent guest at these soirees!
And never seen without a cigarette which ends up killing her, along with Newman.
[quote]Natalie Wood's constant, annoying mugging for the camera makes her seem very needy....what about Jane Fonda's mugging for the camera?
They are silent fun home movies. It didn't occur to you that Roddy was behind the camera saying funny things encouraging them?
[quote]Has anyone noticed that Natalie Wood went into the ocean and didn't hesitate? I have always heard she was enormously terrified of water.
This and the fact she owned a boat and knew how to run an inflatable dingy kinds shoots a hole in RJ's reporting she was deathly afraid. Maybe this was one of the secrets Roddy knew was bullshit. People afraid of the water don't own boats and run recklessly into the surf.
[quote]Roddy McDowell & Liz Taylor were great friends from childhood (when they made "Lassie Come Home" together), so I'm surprised not to see her in any of these home movies.
It seemed they were all the summer of '65 and she was probably shooting Virgina Woolf which was released in '66
- [quote]Maybe this was one of the secrets Roddy knew was bullshit. People afraid of the water don''t own boats and run recklessly into the surf.%0D\
It makes a better story to pretend she was afraid of water. The usual cheap twist or high schoolish irony at the end of a life. I have a feeling that if you had asked Wood about her deathly fear of water, she wouldn''t have known what in the hell you were talking about.
- Non-Macdowell color home movie of a very young Robert Wagner, Thelma Ritter, Rory Calhoun, Judy Garland, etc.
- Roddy Macdowell probably knew where ALL the bodies were buried in Hollywood.
- Well, is true that he was a volunteer gardener at Forest Lawn.
- Judy looked troubled, but was nice to all her fans in that clip.
Yes, I''m a friend...
- I know this is heresy, but judging from that clip, I''d rather have hung out with Thelma than Judy.
- Paula Prentiss is in one of those but I forgot which one. %0D\
This is hereby to be my most (un)prolific Paula Prentiss Troll posting of all time. %0D\
The Paula Prentiss Troll
- My goodness! No mention of the impossibly sexy (and rumored to be gay) Rory Calhoun in that last clip? %0D\
And who was the blonde hunk in sunglasses at the end? Was that John Lund whose photo is referred to earlier and if so, who the hell was John Lund?%0D\
And what was Judy Garland doing amongst all those 20th Century Fox stars? Was A Star Is Born shot there? She looked even heavier in the clip than she does in that film.%0D\
Susan Hayward looked quite cute and petite!%0D\
- R201: Natalie Wood was scared of water her entire life. She told a story at the AFI salute to Bette Davis that on the set of some movie they were making when Wood was still a kid, the director wanted her to jump from a boat into a lake and she refused, screaming. She said Davis came out of her trailer, asked what the fuss was about, and told the director that she'd quit the movie if he didn't find a way to shoot the scene without making the girl get into the lake. As I remember, someone else, referring to that story, got up and told a similar one of her own, saying that's how Bette Davis got the reputation of being difficult, by looking out for colleagues without any power of their own.
R209: John Lund was a leading man in the late forties and early fifties, usually at Paramount. Best known as the soldier both Jean Arthur and Marlene Dietrich want in Billy Wilder's Foreign Affair, he also starred opposite Olivia de Havilland as her lover and her illegitimate son (don't ask) in To Each His Own and as Gene Tierney's husband and Thelma Ritter's son in The Mating Season. A little bland, perhaps not really handsome or distinctive enough to become an actual star, he was really a road-company William Holden, who was, unfortunately for Lund, at the same studio.
- This is exactly what I mean by DL''s violent misogyny, and if you don''t intervene against it, you are acting in favor of it:\
"Ann Coulter is responsible for that horrible stench that emanates from her dried up gash wherever she goes."\
Your violence against women helps kill queer teens.\
Ann Coulter''s stupidity has nothing to do with her body parts.\
Stop the violence.\
Stop the hate.\
It''s killing us.
- My goodness! No mention of the impossibly sexy (and rumored to be gay) Rory Calhoun in that last clip? \
R208, I think he came out of the closet later in life from what I have heard. In that footage he was a studzila!
- Rory looks very Rock Hudsony
- [quote] And get way overpaid to star in shitty, dumb, unwatchable movies. Yuck!%0D\
The movies most of these guys were making would probably fall into the same category. ''Inside Daisy Clover'' is just as unwatchable. It wasn''t until about ''67 that films started to improve. Back in ''65 American films were mostly dish water. No one was allowed to say anything about anything. Mary Tyler Moore wasn''t even allowed to show ''buttock'' through her pants on the Dick Van Dyke Show.%0D\
I agree, the fashions were a lot more stylish and they''re only dressed for the beach. Otherwise, it''s not that impressive. These gatherings look rather boring really.
- "Inside Daisy Clover" is really a gem....and it''s a hulluva lot of fun!
- The gatherings look very laid back, relaxing and fun.%0D\
But I''d prefer a little less Bacall and a LOT more Scotty!
I Love Liz!!!
- [quote]And what was Judy Garland doing amongst all those 20th Century Fox stars? %0D\
Performing on Lux Radio Theatre which was a weekly series. Many stars from all of the studios signed on for these radio dramas/comedies.%0D\
A Star is Born was filmed on the Warners lot.
- r216, you are the reason I love DL:)
- Here is the Lux Radio Show entry from 1953.\
Can you imagine a star arriving alone and leaving their convertible open and unattended today?
- Judy''s face looks so tight and pulled in that clip, like she''d just had some plastic surgery or something. She must have just been in her mid-30s then and looks 50.
- She had that horrible pixie-cut and "angry" painted eyebrows. Judys 1950s look was her least flattering.
- She was 30 and 1/2 years old in Feb. 1953.
- R220 um these videos were in 1965?
- The Judy video is 1953.%0D\
The Roddy videos are from 1965.
- r222, DO try to keep up! ;>
- When I joined DL about 6 years ago, a treasure trove of these clips and all they represent would have kept this thread going for weeks with interesting, bitchy and witty comments. Now, not so much.
- And you two knuckleheads have added oh so much to the conversation.
- Ikeep telling you, I''m NOT angry!
Judy, freshening up her eyebrow arches
- Someone asked Jane Fonda on her blog about the videos. She replied, but didn''t really comment much.\
[quote]Kevin, yes someone sent them to me and it was a lot of fun to watch. I remember Roddy%E2%80%99s house well and was there often. I spent a great deal of time with Roddy in 1962. He was a dear friend.\
Anyway, she has a very sweet blog up about the dogs in her life.
- I read an article the other day about when Rock Hudson was on his death bed at home and various entertainment people were coming to pay their respects (aka say their goodbyes). Apparently when Roddy came over he created some sort of a scene that was so upsetting he was asked to leave and not come back.
- Link to article, please, R230.
Or transcribe it
- I''ve never heard anyone say a bad word about Roddy McDowell -- or Rock Hudson, for that matter. Both seem to have been well liked, both professionally & personally. So I tend to doubt the story about making a scene at the deathbed.
- [quote]Visiting Hudson at home affected each friend differently. Roddy McDowall was so depressed that Mark Miller asked him not to return unless his mood improved. Ross Hunter, who produced Pillow Talk, says he visited often%E2%80%94the group at the house says hardly ever. An emaciated Hudson entertained Nancy Walker, a former colleague from McMillan and Wife, in the kitchen. "He looked," says a close friend, "like he was swimming in his clothes." Producer John Foreman was a frequent guest, and McMillan co-star Susan St. James called often from New York. Toward the end, visits were limited to a mere five minutes.
Not R230 but aware of what he meant
- It is well known that Roddy was in love with Rock but the feeling was not returned the same way. \
Also when Monty Clift died Roddy reportedly was so upset according to Patricia Bosworth he could not even attend the funeral.\
This is what living in the closet will do to someone.
- more videos?
- I sure hope R163/R173 has contracted throat cancer by now. That sexy rasp as she hacks out a request for another baby cham really turns heads.
Of course, being an addict, she doesn't give a shit what she says or how her addiction affects others, because being selfish and needy is what addiction is all about.
BUT such a great trove. Too bad the cunts needlessly troll for trouble and then piss themselves in outrage when they get it.
- more, please
- Julie Andrews with her daughter on the surf made my eyes well up - it reminded me of my own mom.
- "...the Roddy rumour about "keeping memoirs locked up for 100 years after his death."
More than a rumor from what I understand. They're supposedly in the archive at Boston University with the rest of Roddy's, um, endowment. Of course, by the time the memoirs are released, virtually no one alive will know or care about the people and events discussed therein.
- So where is Wikileaks when really needed?
- McDowall was a very bitter and vicious man if you didn't agree with his 'advice', i.e., that actors should stay in the closet.
Just ask Sal Mineo's partner...
- Someone was asking about McDowall's then boyfriend Ed Rosenthal...he was a lawyer. The guy who posted all the movies should be able to tell you if he's still alive or not.
- No one will remember the stars, r241, but if the memoirs are really juicy, if he outs everyone left and right and gives a vivid account of what it was like being a closeted actor at the time, it could be the basis of a documentary or miniseries that would be of historical interest to people in the 22nd century. I'd watch a similar tell-all documentary about actors famous in the 20s.
- Ed Rosenthal was a very attractive young man. Roddy appears to have had great taste in boyfriends. If he was in fact a lawyer, there's no info of him online. Everybody in the home movies smoked liked chimneys back then, no wonder few of them reached old age.
- bumping for Labor Day Weekend!
A perfect way to get your mind off Syria and the first day of school.
- I just love how elderly Gladys Cooper commands more attention from all the hot young men than any of the Hollywood starlets.
- R240 has to be the creepiest post on this thread. It's not just the "MARY!" factor. It's the weird association and the absolute need to share it here.