- I''m convinced that River was either gay or bi, and that both Keanu Reeves and Johnny Depp fucked his hole.%0D\
River was a beautiful kid, and either he and Keanu or he and Johnny would have made a beautiful couple.
- I love this photo...
- River and Johnny about to kiss...
- 1993 was a looong time ago
- He would very likely have been re-fat by now. Maybe even brandoesque.
- So last year would have been the big surprise party?
- His brother got sort of fat for a while didn''t he.
- He was a great actor. I wonder how his career would have evolved had he lived.
- He was really good in "My Own Private Idaho". He was like Heath Ledger in that he didn''t realize how dangerous the drugs he was using were.
- God, he was fucking amazing in Running on Empty. That is the only movie that has ever made me fucking sob.
Not usually a Mary!
- I can''t believe they pay people to write pointless articles like this.\
I mean, who the fuck even cares that it would have been some dead guy''s 41st birthday!\
Will there be another stupied article next year about how would have been his 42nd?????
- I loved this boy. I cried when he died; we''re the same age. I suspect though that he''d either be a sloppy mess (a la Val Kilmer), a disappointment, or a has-been today. I think his death helped Johnny and Keanu change their behavior and become more successful, and practically gave Leo DiCaprio his career.
- I saw a documentary about children who grew up in the Children of God cult and they had a ceremony where they read the names of the kids who grew up in the cult and died young, and they mentioned him. It was a very sad moment.
- [quote]and practically gave Leo DiCaprio his career.\
- I loved Dogfight with Lili Taylor. Great movie and he looked so hot as a Marine. \
And I can watch the opening to My Own Private Idaho over and over and over.
- Kelli (from Nick and Kelli) fame claims to have dated him.
- Watching My Own Private Idaho makes me miss the early 90''s.
- I can''t imagine how Joaquin wouldn''t be fucked up for the rest of his life.
- River getting a blowjob. HAWT!
- "And now, my lucky forty-fourth little Dutch boy..."
Bengali in Platforms
- A shame that he died so young. He really was talented. But he must have had a lot of self-hatred, like a lot of people who have been molested as children do.%0D\
The coroner''s report said that on the night of his death he had ingested eight times the lethal dose of cocaine, four times the lethal dose of heroin, as well as traces of marijuana, Valium, and ephedrine, the last and over the counter cold medication. Cause of death: "multiple drug intoxication."%0D\
He must have had a death wish to do that to himself.
- It''s a shame he couldn''t have lived another 4 years.
The 27 Club
- I remember sitting in a theater watching MY OWN PRIVATE IDAHO the first day it opened. When it began and the infamous blowjob scene came on, I looked over and saw an embarrassed group of older, suburbanite grannies seated nearby. I''m guessing that the word IDAHO in the title made them think that it was a film about farmers.\
I''m sure it was an interesting silence in the car ride home.
- [quote]For those lucky few who had the opportunity to watch River Phoenix''s film career blossom right in front of their eyes, there''s no doubt it''s the sort of bragging rights they wish they didn''t have.\
Somebody slap him.
- Watching My Own Private Idaho makes me miss hustling.
- [quote]Will there be another stupied article...%0D\
Don''t you love it when this happens?%0D\
I was watching Stand By Me the other day and wondered how old he''d be now.%0D\
If he hadn''t died, I think he would have been a mess throughout his 20s and early 30s but then might have gotten it all together to become great.
- He would have been infinitely better as Jack in "Titanic." DiCaprio would be doing sitcoms now.
not Lukas Haas
- Incredible scene from My Own Private Idaho..\
- Adored River. His brother wishes he had even an ounce of River''s talent. He would have DiCaprio''s career and most likely an Oscar by now. Not to mention he was stunningly beautiful.
- And now we''re left with a harelipped reminder of what might have been....
- wonder if Leo ever thinks about Rio, as he was known to his friends, basically giving him his incredible career? I think he would have continued to have been messed up but still considered iconic and eccentric like Johnny Depp.
- [quote]I looked over and saw an embarrassed group of older, suburbanite grannies seated nearby. I''m guessing that the word IDAHO in the title made them think that it was a film about farmers.\
They were B-52s groupies.
- You think he would have done Titanic? I can''t really see that. He would have been good for Catch Me If You Can definitely.
- Leo mentioned River in Rolling Stone last year, although not by name. \
I don''t however think River would have ever done Titanic and probably would have been too old for Gilbert Grape. But there is no doubt Leo came up in the void River left.\
[quote]%E2%80%9CI got to be wild and nuts, and I didn%E2%80%99t suffer as much as people do now, where they have to play it so safe that they ruin their credibility. I didn%E2%80%99t care what anyone thought%E2%80%A6 It was also about avoiding the tornado of chaos, of potential downfall. It was, %E2%80%98Wow, how lucky are we to not have hung out with that crowd or done those things?%E2%80%99 My two main competitors in the beginning, the blond-haired kids I went to audition with, one hung himself and the other died of a heroin overdose%E2%80%A6 I was never into drugs at all. There aren%E2%80%99t stories of me in a pool of my own vomit in a hotel room on the Hollywood Strip.%E2%80%9D
- Who hung himself?
- Jonathan Brandis
- Yes. Phenomenal actor.
- "Stand by Me" is one of the best coming-of-age movies.\
His line towards the end "I just wish that I could go some place where nobody knows me." tears me up every time.
- He''s not talking about River there, but some kid who is actually his and Jonathan Brandis'' age. (Leo wouldn''t have gone to auditions with River as a kid.) I forgot his name, just as everyone else because he clearly didn''t have a very successful career.
- Leo talking about River: \
[quote]When I was 18, River Phoenix was far and away my hero. I always wanted to meet him. One night, I was at this Halloween party, and he passed me. He was beyond pale -- he looked white. Before I got a chance to say hello, he was gone, driving off to the Viper Room, where he fell over and died. That''s a lesson.
- When asked by a writer about his attitude on drugs River Phoenix said this (which is further proof that you can''t believe anything a celebrity says):%0D\
"I''ve always shied away from the seedy side of Hollywood. I don''t do drugs, I get a big enough high from life without trying anything like that. I''m so straight I don''t eat meat and even my dogs are vegetarians."%0D\
Soon afterward when asked directly if he told the truth in interviews he said: "I deal with a lot of phonies. I''m not going to give my truth to the phonies. Everything you say they lie and change anyway so maybe if you lie and give them bullshit, it will come out being truthful."
- Anyone want to see the photo of River in his casket??%0D\
It''s not too gruesome, but it''s not exactly pleasant.
- [quote]Kelli (from Nick and Kelli) fame claims to have dated him\
Who or what the fuck is "Nick and Kelli", and who are the schmucks pretending that those cunts have fame?
- He wouldn''t have aged well; small, blonde, cute, delicate-featured men rarely do. (See Mark Hammill below) That and his interest in drugs would have stalled his career as early as his late 20s, no matter how talented he was.%0D\
Leo DeCaprio has a more angular face, and while he hasn''t aged particularly well, he managed the transition to adult roles River might never have made. Leo also seems to have the smarts to make the most of his meager talents, while thanks to his awful family, River had no education and major psychological issues.%0D\
There''s more to a career than talent, boys.%0D\
- Mark Hamill is the last person you want to use as an example of aging badly.\
He was in a disfiguring car accident right after Star Wars.\
His face has never looked the same.\
Lucas even had "Luke" get bitch-slapped by a snow beast at the beginning of Empire to explain his new fucked up face.
- MEH. I think the only reason he is "canonized" is because he died. He was a pretty young man but I never found him especially interesting. I hated that "Idaho" movie. I remember thinking "This is pretentious and dull. " Like that recent Tom Ford debacle (An Ordinary Man?) where characters just stare into space a lot and nothing ever happens. Yes, so "deep," so "intellectual," so "fill in all the gaps of their existential angst." YAWN. River MIGHT have done more with his career or he might have disappeared into anonymity or "indie world." He would have had Johnny Depp's career, to an extent, I think. Outre roles. But that "troubled, tortured, gorgeous young punk with a misunderstood heart" stuff? I GOT what his persona was supposed to be on film and what his image was. And about ten minutes of that at a time was enough for me. Very sad that he died the way he did but, like about a zillion other drug induced Hollywood and music world deaths, it was by his own hand. Not sure who or what is to "blame" for that and it is always sad.
- Can you believe how fucking long ago 1993 was?
- Emile Hirsch kind of reminds me of River.
- He was beautiful, a total Adonis. I think in a lot of his roles he had such grace and presence that i automatically thought he was a brilliant actor.\
Truth is, i don''t know if he is or not. I always get distracted by how precious he was! Especially in Idaho. Very fallen angel, right?
- Dicaprio still would''ve had a career if Phoenix hadn''t died. Leo was a few years younger, and River would have been too old for Gilbert Grape, Romeo and Juliet and Titanic.
- He was the perfect movie star for the early 90s, the era of "heroin chic."
- One less dead idiot sucking up air.
- Judy Davis is responsible for River''s death.\
How does she sleep at night, knowing that fact?
- She never took responsibility but she should, Royal bitch.
- He hated acting. He didn''t know how lucky he was. Joaquin is even better than River but no appreciation of his gift or the money he makes.
- Seriously, lots of drugs on the set of Idaho. River died of an overdose, Rodney Harvey died of an overdose, how did Keanu make it through? Oh, his girlfiend died...
- I%E2%80%99m not sure %E2%80%9Clucky%E2%80%9D is the right word here. He was born into a sex cult and then started working for Hollywood and was the money maker for his family. His heavy drug use was not a mark of someone happy, it sounds like he badly wanted to escape reality.%0D\
Anyone saw the 12 hours project of Idaho?
- I didn''t see it but I wonder if there was anything interesting in it. Gus would out someone, if given the chance.
- R42, that was unplesant. He must have been a mess to look that bad in the casket.
- It was going to be closed casket but you are right...looked like no one had worked on him.
- He had bruises all over his face and neck, and his mouth looked like it was sewn shut. He looked awful!
- River''s last film, "The Thing Called Love," is depressing viewing. He looks like crap and his performance is terrible -- he''s obviously on drugs.
- That poster did not supply a link to Phoenix in his casket. What the fuck are you all looking at?
- r47, I know. When I see pics of how everyone still seemed to have padded shoulders and big hair even in ''93, I laugh. We all looked so different. The music was different. And yet, I remember thinking I was SOOO grown up and worldly.
- yeah, but it''s not because he was a stupid drug addict. unfortunate but I don''t feel sorry for people who kill themselves. I feel bad for people with cancer who never smoked and have died. I don''t feel bad for River Phoenix, Amy Winehouse, Heath Ledger, etc.
- Judy Davis is directly responsible for River''s death. Why not more anger towards her.
- R63, just Google Image "River Phoenix Death" and it''s the first picture that comes up.\
R65, I do laugh at vegetarians who end up dying from using hard drugs. You don''t eat bacon, but you''ll do speedballs? LOL.
- People who read about what was going on in River''s life, were angry with her. I believe the director was really angry with her.%0D\
Harvey''s manager was angry with Gus.
- I think he was vegan because he didn''t like animal cruelty.
- I don''t know why someone can''t do a film of his life. The sex scenes would be pretty great.
- The DA should gave gone after Judy Davis for manslaughter in the death of River Phoenix
- R53 huh? advise
- How was Davis responsible for his death? Could anyone explain, or post a link?
yes, I googled...and nothing.
- Why Judy Davis is Considered a Bitch...\
She worked with River Phoenix on his last film. The film was never completed because of how he died. It was obvious to all who worked on the film that River Phoenix was tremendously out of sorts while attempting to work on that film. Everyone tried to treat him decently (even though they should have given him a good talking to) except for Judy Davis. \
Judy Davis treated River Phoenix horribly. She was unmercifully verbally abusive and cruel to him. She even mocked his Veganism all the fucking time. \
Did Judy Davis drive River Phoenix to death? Why, hell no!\
Did Judy Davis lead a man who was obviously out of sorts with a drug and drink issue to get heavily loaded during a quick break in filming? Why, hell yes!\
...And that is the sad but true story as to why Judy Davis is a bitch. But, at the rate he was going if it was not her it would have been someone or something else without a doubt.
Uh huh. I know what I know. Thank you :)
- She doesn''t work that much, does she?
- Guys which are the best movies of River Phoenix apart from 'Stand By Me' and 'My Own Private Idaho'?
- I want to know who his real father is. He doesn't look at all like any of his siblings and just barely like his mother. I bet his real dad was the leader of the cult. Or a little boy.
- I still remember a clueless fangurl coworker getting pissed at me and not speaking to me for a couple of days after I dared suggest he'd died from a drug OD. "You don't know what you're talking about," she said, "He's a vegetarian."
- What's this I hear about he and Keanu being lovers? News to me.
- He was a gifted actor. In fact, i'm sure that he could me more than Johnny Depp as an actor.
- His absence is noticeable.
- He was so interesting to the eye in a not superficial way
- What a pity he got deep into drugs
- Gone too soon
- RIVER PHOENIX PINUP CLIPPING Young Cute
- A distinctive figure
- Who was really River Phoenix?
What were his needs?
- Why he got addicted to drugs? What led him to that addiction?
- i like his face and his acting
- Most promising is a characterizasion that really defined River Phoenix
- A talented actor and a charming young man gone too soon...
- Certainly charming
- I wonder what kind of music he liked, which bands, which singers he enjoyed and i would love to know some of the books he had read...
- I like this photo a lot
RIVER PHOENIX Terrific Movie Photo LITTLE NIKITA
- Is there anybody out there who didn't like him?
That would be strange...
- 'Stand by Me'
- One of the most beautiful photos that depict male bond
- *male bonding
- River Phoenix had great chemistry with Keanu Reeves
- You don't have birthdays when you're dead.
- A beautiful young man
- Sorry for the two photos you sent in the beginning guys, i posted them again because i got excited.
River could have played a big river of roles...
- No it wouldn't be because he died.
- River away...
- He wouldn't have aged well.
Around age 30, small men with delicately pretty features tend to go from youthful loveliness, to the face of a gnome.
- River Phoenix could be all the things Di Caprio can't be or refuses to be. Di Caprio's roles have become so predictable, so dry, so academic. Di Caprio is a good actor but he was a lot better in the beginning when he was experimenting as a young actor.
River Phoenix was so unpretentious when he was acting. I wish things had turned differently, why he had to go so soon? Anyway, i know the reply and i'm just not satisfied with it, that's why i ask again for a better answer. However, i'm afraid there is not a better one. I miss his face in the movies. Don't you?
- He was right to the core as an actor.
- Why the blame for Judy Davis? All the musicians that night at the Viper Room who told him he couldn't jam with them (Flea, Gibby Haines, Johnny Depp) are just as responsible.
- "The DA should gave gone after Judy Davis for manslaughter in the death of River Phoenix"
I assume you're joking. Pretty lame joke.
Davis and Phoenix didn't like each other. That was all there was to it. No more, no less. That happens a lot on film sets. It's no big deal, unless it interferes with filming and causes holdups on the production.
The person who should have been arrested for manslaughter was the guy who gave Phoenix drugs in the bathroom of the Viper Room. Phoenix had already done a shitload of drugs; this guy offered him something he said would make him feel "fabulous" and he took it. Supposedly he thought it was cocaine, but it turned out to be some high-grade heroin. His system couldn't take any more and started to shut down, hence his seizures and flopping around on the sidewalk outside. Finally he just stopped breathing.
There was talk of arresting the guy who gave him the fatal heroin, but Phoenix's family declined to press charges. Their feeling was that the guy who gave their son/brother the heroin that killed him didn't mean any harm and River wouldn't have wanted him prosecuted. River Phoenix's family are incredible idiots.