- Cute guys, but I thought we were over the whole "boy band" thing......If it weren''t for the production value, That could easily be straight out of 1998. Are Boy Bands still a viable thing in the UK?
Ron Perelman, inmate #34522978
- More importantly, which ones are gay?
- [quote]Are Boy Bands still a viable thing in the UK?%0D\
Unfortunately. The Wanted and JLS also just released a "summer song" with a video showing them at the beach/on holiday. %0D\
- JLS (also a former X Factor band like One Direction)%0D\
- Put em back in the oven and wait a few years. Do they even have pubes yet? The latino one with the earring has possibilities.
- Please F&F the British boy band troll who''s been postin this shit ALL week.
- [quote]Are Boy Bands still a viable thing in the UK?\
This video should answer your question. (Be advised to turn your volume down before clicking on it.)
- Go home, pedo.
- Are they sitting in the front seat or sitting in the back seat?
Rebecca Black, still trying to choose
- God, even Steps were better than this autotuned trash.
- Zayn - beautiful.
- I have read the two or three were arroagnt little shits during the X-factor.
- So who is the gay one?
- Body language:
- umm, R5, the "latino one with the earring" is actually Pakistani.
- From Bradistan, to be exact.\
Made famous in this movie:
- AUTO TUNE CITY. NEXT.%0D\
Does anybody actually sing anymore?
- At the beach%E2%80%A6 in the ocean %E2%80%A6 and none of them take their shirts off? What is this, a Disney-produced music video. If you want to promote teen heart-throbs, you have to show a little veal-cake (they''re too young for beefcake). How else will they ever get on thecover of Tiger Beat Magazine?
- Thanks for posting the interview clip R16 love how Zayn and Louis are comfortable around each other
- Corporate heteronormative bullshit.\
Fuck you, Simon Cowell. Ugh.
- The reporter in that interview is incredibly vile. "You''re probably the only boys who didn''t go out looting last night."\
WHAT. THE. FUCK.
- Are they the new Jonas Brothers?
- [quote]The reporter in that interview is incredibly vile. "You''re probably the only boys who didn''t go out looting last night."%0D\
Well, that was extremely rude.
- Teenage Dream definitely started a trend in videos of the young and restless illuminated against night scenes with sparklers, to symbolize their joyful immortality.\
It''s even more poignant with young men on the cusp of adulthood, because it''s probably the last chance they will have to be as playful as children.\
Zayn has the Rudy Valentino effect for sure, exquisite masculine beauty but very kind and secure in himself. I think he''s the sun and potential father figure of this band, around which the others revolve, even though Harry is the one who seems to be groomed to lead them.\
Like Judi Dench in A ROOM WITH A VIEW, I have my EYE on One Direction.
- [quote]It''s even more poignant with young men on the cusp of adulthood, because it''s probably the last chance they will have to be as playful as children.\
You will be interested in Liam''s tweets on his 18th birthday two days ago.\
"I don''t want to get older"\
"never ever growing up I like being a kid too much" (after linking to a Buzz Lightyear toy)\
"yesss", in answer to a fan asking him if he feels old now\
[quote]I think [Zayn is the] potential father figure of this band\
Ironically, Liam is the one who is routinely referred to as the father figure in the band.
Advanced One Direction Studies
- Oh, and Louis recently tweeted "Wanna be a teenager forever!" (he''ll turn 20 in December).
- Oh my god, that is a cry for help if you announce it on twitter. Poor, sweet kid. Added to the adulation, he may go off his head in a couple of years.
- Worst boyband ever!
- You know you love it, r31.
The way that you flip them off gets me overwhelmed
- What''s with all these "groups" today where everyone is emoting and gesturing like mad solo artists on uppers. \
You''re a group - not a collective of individuals...
- R23 made my heart sing, which is more than these muppets can do!
- I bet ayb bought "Killing in the Name of" at Christmas 2009 and thought he was sticking it to the man...
- Yes, these pretentious hipsters really get my goat. They are also ragging on Britney in the other thread. "It''s manufactured!" Guess what sucker, so your own persona you use in every day life to get by in the world.\
Now shut up and enjoy this fabulous Spring Awakening, care of One Direction!
- If that is the best song they can buy, they are in trouble.\
Dog vomit song.\
Middle of the pack looks.\
Who the hell though it would look good to copy the rapper body language in that video? Looks so Dollarama in Albany on Saturday afternoon.
- Even by boyband standards, this is quite shit.
- You don''t think they are handsome? This is the best of British, when it comes to looks! Trust me.
- Sick of all this Auto-Tune shit in "music".
- At G-A-Y:
- R35, WRONG!\
R36 I am under no illusions otherwise, Mary, but shit is shit- and this is SHIT. It makes Take That look like The Beatles in comparison.\
Yeah, and what R40 said.
- ayb, I''m fluttering my eye lashes as I type.
- r42 doesn''t know he''s beautiful.
- Adorable is the only word!
- Where are my Directioners?
- They did amazingly well on the UK charts this past week, huge seller and a number 1. I could see them going global by summer next year but I think Simon Cowell will rush them to the states to save the X-Factor here.
ps. Zayn is beautiful.
- Harry's ass:
- Simon could teleport them on stage live and have them make out nude and it would *still* not save "X Factor". It's amazing how out of touch Brits are with current American cultural trends at times. This particular manufactured unit *might* have had a chance back in the late 90's, when Spice Girls, Five, B'Witch'd, All Saints and Westlife all charted fairly high on Billboard, but in the days when even highly touted British "hip-pop" acts like Jay Sean, Tinie Tempah and Taio Cruz are struggling to match previous success, then nothing's gonna go well in One Direction's direction stateside.
- How old are they?
- So lame, and the new bunch on X-Factor-ers are worse. Jade and Janet are the only two real contenders, pissed that they ditched the hot Welsh maths teacher for a load a fugly chavs.
The US version screams shit out loud, too many mediocre R'n'B signers. In fact actually they only have bland mediocre R'n'B signers.
- R52 - three of them are 18, Harry is 17, and Louis is 19 (and two days ago was being apprehensive about turning 20 on twitter again - see link).
- I'm in love with that accent:
- r52, they are all of age, I believe.
- Oh, Zayn:
- Gay men acting like 14-year-old schoolgirls.
- r58, watch the clip at r57. These boys are special.
- Out-dated Bieber hair, yuck
- Who has?!
- Harry's ass:
- Oops, sorry, already posted.
- Was coming out of a hotel in NYC this week -- eating at Jean Georges -- and there were all sorts of teenage girls hang out in front. I finally asked what they were doing there, and they told me that One Direction was staying there. I'd never heard of them.
- Harry & Louis on a Vespa in Italy:
- I'd like them better if they didn't sing in Ebonics.
I think Ebonics just sounds plain disgusting, and I'm am sick of music producers pushing it on impressionable young music listeners.
Keep the Ebonics to the black people, please.
- Is Ebonics when they say "Imma" instead of "I will" or "I'm going to"?
- [quote]"I’ve been asleep before and Harry has hit me round the head with his penis. It actually wrapped around my whole face - who wouldn’t be envious of that?"
- They're from Yorkshire - what do you expect?
- I need to see all their nipples before I can comment.
- [quote]They're from Yorkshire
I think only Louis is.
[quote]I need to see all their nipples before I can comment.
All of them? Harry has 4, you know.
- Zayn's twitter - I think he's crying out for tweets from deep thinkers:
- Directioner bump.
- According to Harry's step-dad, Justin Bieber was "very rude when the guys met him".
- That's the problem when your life in 24/7 hysteria.
- Live 1D performance. Hopefully the quality of songs will improve!
- bump! Where are my Directioners?
- Where the hell is everyone?!!
- They're every pedophile's dream.
- Haha, r77, I'm afraid it's more or less just the two of us here. Datalounge hasn't really caught on to them yet.
I think that might change once they start getting promoted in the US, though. (Apparently, several of the biggest American labels are fighting over them right now.)
R80, they're between 17 and 19 - how would they be of interest to pedophiles?
- I would have thought datalounge would flip for their charming and humble rapport. What a shame everything's about erotic appeal!
- I tried to watch, but couldn't, OP.
They instantly made me think of Stephen Gately and Boyzone. I had such a crush on him back in the day, and I can't watch this kind of boy group without getting all weird and depressed about his death.
- How are they anything like Boyzone?!
- One of the funniest things ever. I mean it:
- "According to Harry's step-dad, Justin Bieber was "very rude when the guys met him"."
Really? I'm not surprised at anything that smug little fucker does. His big fall is coming soon.
- They are like a male Girls Aloud. So who's going to be the Nadine and who's going to be the Cheryl?
- [quote]They are like a male Girls Aloud. So who's going to be the Nadine and who's going to be the Cheryl?
You mean which one is going to be the Diva and which one is the gay one?
Have you guys seen One Direction on the Chris Moyles Show? Quite a long and funny interview:
- Cheryl - Harry, for sure. He'll be on the X Factor panel in 6 years, mark my words!
- The grand days of the Boyband is over. A boyband will never reach the same level as fame Westlife or TT did. They world has moved on.
From what I've heard two of One Direction are obnoxious cunts, but they'll have their 5 mins of fame and then stand aside when the Risk have theirs.
- [quote]From what I've heard two of One Direction are obnoxious cunts, but they'll have their 5 mins of fame and then stand aside when the Risk have theirs.
I'm betting Zayn (sp?) is one of them.
- [quote]From what I've heard two of One Direction are obnoxious cunts
Any details, r91?
- Zayn is a darling, actually. Sensitive.
- I disagree r92. 1D are already eclipsing the Irish bands.
- New single. Not at all sure about this one.
- R90 R88 i agree, there is some nice similarities with Girls Aloud.
Harry is a mix of Nadine and Sarah. He is well liked. Has a great personality. Gorgeous to some but not others (he is the youngest and will grow into his looks). A nice pop voice with the occasional bum note (ala Sarah)
Zayn is the Cheryl of the group. The most beautiful/handsome of all the band members. Very popular among the fangirls. A beautiful tone who's voice suites urban/r'n'b (just like Cheryl).
Liam is the Nadine of the group FACT. He audition twice for X-factor and was dead set on being a solo act. The cards threw him something different and he is going with it for now. Technically the best singer in the group and so far the backbone of all the songs they have currently released. (Just like Nadine)
Out of all of them he will be the DIVA.
**He will eventually release a solo album down the line which will flop miserably***
Louis is the Kimberly of the group (a bit of Sarah mixed in). The resident sexpot. Great body and nice ass. Pleasant to be around. Makes great banter. Very outgoing. His voice not the best and barely sings. That's not why he's there for, he's the mascot/face of the group
Niall is the Nicola of the group. The "red headed stepchild", he disappears in interviews and onstage. The bigger personalities in the group just takes all the spotlight. He's relegated to doing harmonies on the tracks released. (Just like Nicola in the beginning) Completely misunderstood and i'm betting the most talented in the group (musicianship/writing etc..again just like Nicola)
- The lyrics to the new song are hilarious and our community needs to adopt these boys ASAP:
"What a mess I made upon your innocence."
Apparently, Harry and Nial wrote this song.
- The cover of the album is rather unfortunate. They look a bit.. special...
- The teeny boppers who will buy the album won't care about that. Beside the unfortunate photo Louis and Zayn can't take a bad photo. Notice Liam grabbing Louis' nipple? its a constant between them and Zayn at times.
- They all look gay to me. Give it a few years and some roadie will be doing an expose in the Sunday papers - "3 in a bed homo orgies" or somesuch.
It's disgusting in that vid how they keep touching their own cock....
- Disgusting? A touch of the penis envy, old girl?
- Do you think Zayn will get better looking as he matures, or has he peaked?
- They're just kids; their mothers should slap their hands for the cock grabbing habbit - it's very unsophisticated.
Imagine if we went around on videos rubbing our pussy....??? and squeezing our tits?? You'd be mortified!
PS. I have a cock thank you very much; it's 9" long, bright pink and lights up with 2 x AA batteries.
- I'm sure it wasn't a conscious action you old perv!!! Leave my boys alone!
- I want to rim Niall for an entire 3 day holiday weekend with maybe an occasional water or bathroom break. All the moaning and dirty talk in that adorable Irish accent would be an added bonus.
- Louis seems rather asexual to me.
- Yeah, the cover is a bit unfortunate.
Is it very sad that I'm a lesbian and interested in this thread? I don't fancy any member, but I think they're cute, like they're music and watching their interviews.
- Not strange at all, they are a legitimately fascinating group of young men, especially in their acts of open affection toward each other. Its rare to see any of them act bitchy and playfully put each other down, they are always complimenting each other and also being very emotionally engaging with the female fans, not at all aloof or 'cool'. Harry and Zayn I sense have earnest artistic ambitions...
- R103 I don't think Zayn has peaked yet physically or vocally. He is still growing. The most obvious is his vocals. He had hit or miss vocals during X-Factor, now he's pitch perfect and produces strong vocals whenever he sings live. Plus i think he will age more gracefully compared to the other boys, even Louis (i think he's at his peak or close to it).
- Do you think Zayn is vulnerable and could be damaged by the industry like, say, Britney circa 2005-08?
- People say he's sensitive but I don't think he's that impressionable. He knows who he is. At the same time he has the boys and the boys each other. Totally different situation between the One Direction and Britney Spears.
- Are you following Zayn's tweets?
- Nope, any good posts?
- Not in the obvious sense, but you get the impression that he wants to communicate on a level that most of his admirers aren't capable of. Interesting when he writes "I feel really happy today" - is he a wistful character by nature?:
- lol i don't know, maybe he's just happy.
The gayest thing EVAH with them involved. Watch the whole clip!
- That clip is hilarious. Gotta love Brit humour. Niall is ADORABLE. I think it's time for haircuts for both Harry and Liam. Don't mind the bushy fro's, but both their 'dos are getting a bit out of control.
- Harry's trademark is his curly angelic hair - if that goes, the appeal goes right out of the door. It's like asking Barbra Streisand to have a nose job. Harry's hair is his ticket to superstardom.
- [quote]he wants to communicate on a level that most of his admirers aren't capable of
So does Niall:
- Wow, what an amazing way to cultivate one's fanbase - through feces!!!!
- Well One Direction have no worries about competition from The Risk.
- The RISK are imploding. I hope they can sort things out with the new member though. At the same time The RISK would probably have a different fan base compared to One Direction.
- WTF are the Risk?
- The new boy band on the UK X Factor
- Zayn's American accent. OH MY GAD!!!
- Bump for ma boys!
- Does anyone care that Westlife is calling it quits?
- Hell no! We're not going West anymore... we're turning one direction - NORTH!!!!
- I'm hating Louis right now. He's telling all his twitter fans to keep the retched Frankie on the X factor UK. And guess what? he's still in the competition.
- Oh no, he's isn't is he?!
- Oh god, he IS! And now he's balling out people for slagging off his fans. I can already see the end in sight.
- New music video - the song is DIRE although this time Zayny get the girl and gets to bat his pretty eyelashes. Funny lyrics about premature ejaculation:
- Louis is a big headed twat with a total by-pass personality, he was so arrogant on the show, he truly thinks the sun shines out of his hole.
- I don't think Louis is a bad apple, I just think he has that boisterous Northern character. They are not exactly introverted in the part of the country (which is why Zayn is such a phenomenon!)
- Christ that video is so cheap. Zayn is a revelation though. He looks amazing on camera.
Louis is so useless that the only thing he can do is smirk and drive on the highway.
- god isn't he just. Zayn is STUNNING. Imagine him in the silents.... he's got that Rudy Valentino aura. Dark and delicious!
- Zayn's had to reassure fangurls on twitter that he didn't really kiss that girl who looked like Taylor Lautner in the video. Sad. I'd have said I stuck my tongue down her throat, just to piss them off.
- So One Direction's "Up All Night" leaked a few nights ago. A few generic tracks but undoubtedly one of the best pop albums to come out this year. These boys got it.
A year from now people will know who they are.
- Do Niall and Louis get any solos?
- who is gay in this boyband? I'm counting 2, possibly 3 gays..
- Liam and Niall are straight in my opinion.
The other 3 can be questionable. The touchy feely stuff is blatant with Louis. He usually initiates it and Harry and Zayn happily reciprocates. Louis also acts like he's a notorious pussyhound so that sends up my gaydar flags.
R140 yes Louis and Niall get some solo lines in a couple of songs.
Unsurprisingly Louis sounds like complete shit. He will never be known for his singing, just his looks.
- I don't think Louis and Zayn are gay in the erotic sense, but I think they may have a psychic kind of gayness, if that makes sense.
r142 - go to 14:55 of this clip:
- Yeah i've seen that. There is a couple of bond pairings like Louis/Zayn and Louis/Harry. The most authentic is Louis and Zayn they are completely comfortable with each other.
- R49.. they are played NON STOP on radio here.. they are really in right now. Trust me, they are not only popular in the UK.
- This group of guys have the most amount of "skinship" I have seen amongst "heterosexual" males ever! I learned about "skinship" from asian culture and pop culture, basically performed by young straight males showing signs of nurturing, grooming, tons of physical contact. I have seen this tons of times in the east but this is the first time I have seen it at this level in the west.
The way the band was put together has to be one of the direct influences but I wish there was a psychologist here to analyze this type of phenomenon.
We have discussed the closeness of Harry, Louis and Zayn but all members seem to display this in this interview series:
Watch at 13:27 for the most intimate I have seen them
- sorry for the double post, just learning how to time mark youtube clips
- I think when men are thrown together in bands, they become like family and so physically they become totally dependent.
- Their new song only made no.3. And this is how it begins; next song, no.5. Next song no.8. Next song doesn't hit the top 10. Goodbye One Direction, we hardly knew ye.
BTW the faux homoeroticism is just fake tosh, all boybands do it now, Take That really started it, they are really homoerotic, their manager was gay and knew a certain amount would appeal to the gay fan base, it is just how boybands work now.
And anyway Little Mix will wipe the floor with them. They could be the next Girls Aloud.
- r147 - Zayn is the father figure.
This band aren't just going to 'fade away'. They have substance & I'm not talking about the music either. Once they take creative control, they will start to generate sustained attention. Niall is a guitarist, so he needs to get on the case ASAP.
I think they put out a pretty substantial album for a couple of 18 year olds. They also have writing credits on half of the songs on the album so they do seem to have some input on their sound and image.
I think Gotta Be You did well for a [bold] mediocre[/bold] song. They have a ton of much better singles on the album so i'm not worried.
Plus there is no way Simon Cowell is going to just leave them out to pasture and die. They'll be invading a country near you soon enough.
- What's with their hair? The have the hair styles one would find on a 50 year woman in a bingo hall.
- I doubt this band will break the US. Aside from Adele and some of the urban acts like Tinie Tempah and Taio Cruz, UK pop culture seems totally distant from American pop culture nowadays. JLS, Gabriella Cilmi and Ellie Goulding have all tried and failed to make an impact in a market much more difficult to get any attention in. They're only "hope" is to get a hip=hop producer like Bangladesh to re-do the singles to get airplay at both urban and pop radio.
- Simon Cowell is ruthless and will ditch the band the instance it looks like success may begin to fall.
And anyway the days of the boy bands being hugely successful are long over.
- Are they good comedians?
- I bet Herbert from Family Guy is posting in this thread.
- Documentary on the group.
Zayn and Harry in bed.
Zayn's beautiful voice during the "impromptu" performance in the bungalow.
- Zayn's mama - too cute when she said that girls think she's some creepy granny when they see she has his image on her phone! What a sweetheart.
It's surprising to see Harry crying like that, he struck me as thick skinned.
It concerns me actually because it makes me think that Simon Cowell has not had these boys psychologically groomed for the fame game.
If Harry's going to cry over a few criticisms, what will he be like in five or less years when he has to deal with this:
- Harry is the "baby" of the group. That's why Louis and Zayn seem to take care of him.
Plus, in this day and age no amount of psychological toughing can help a child of the internet. They live and breath being on the internet.
The first thing Harry did when he gave that bad performance? He went on twitter. A stupid mistake.
- 1D on Alan Carr:
- Their album comes out 3/20/2012 in the US. Get ready America!!
- Just saw Louis' audition - absolutely dreadful!
- I'd like to suck his cock.
- One Thing acoustic:
- Very nice take on the song. They should really go for a more acoustic/rockish sound for their next album.
- Zayn really impressed me near the end. I knew that boy was more than just a pretty face.
- r161, I'm sure they'll be the new Beatles.
- They're awful. The Wanted have some catchy songs though. :)
- Ugh... I'd rather eat a turd from the dead body of Cayle Anthony than listen or look at these twinky momma's boys.
- Zayn is trending on twitter. What happened?
- The hysteria has begun stateside.
- I can't believe i'm the only one bumping this thread now.
Their album is in the iTunes chart at 1 and 2. They are expected keep Adele at bay on the Billboard album chart next week.
- They are so dreamy!
- Just a reminder for the all but 3 of you who aren't heartily sick of One Direction (and Harry's like, SO hetero"normative" lovelife, ahem) pushed down your necks 24/7, that this gem was uttered on the 23rd November, 2011, here at DL Towers:
[quote]I doubt this band will break the US.
Just wondering if you've also visited the One Direction stores in every major US city, selling dolls, books, picnic hampers, guinea-pig duvets and perfume yet?
Me neither. I refuse to give one dime to the Cowell empire of doom.
- Also, Simon should stop being a bitch and let them come out.