- the next time an actor who peaks outside the closet goes back in we can all say "He''s pulling a Luke Evans."
- Thanks OP for starting this.\
I just watched Chelsea in the link someone gave in the previous thread. That was great.
- Isn''t this cute how Henry Cavill playfully bumps into him? Must be a little inside joke between them...
- What''s the latest?
- [quote]What''s the latest?\
Day 10 and still not a word from him. Fuck him!
- Now -- I''m just saying -- \
it might not be a closet thing\
English boys are fluid about their sexuality. \
Met a Brit director with a wife and kid -- saw him two years later with a boyfriend -- just heard he''s married a woman. Always upfront about it and very jokey.
That''s bull and you know it. That only gives credence to all the crap Focus on the Family, AFA, Exodus Int., say that one can change if only one met a nice girl.\
And yes, Luke Evans is a coward and a pussy. FUCK HIM indeed!!!!!
- Thanks OP for starting this
- "English boys are fluid"\
Yarr, fluid like the cum Luke swallows
- Here''s Part One if anyone needs it:
- R7, there''s a difference between understanding that there''s is fluidity to *some* people''s sexuality, and cure-the-gays-theology or whatever. It''s annoying when some gays act as close-minded as anti-gay people, per their agenda.%0D\
None of this is a comment on this specific actor whom I know almost nothing about.
- Luke''s probably under lockdown so any press junket journos will be a handed strict Paris Hilton style "do not talk about my sordid past or I will walk" edict. I kind of feel for the guy since he must be realizing now that the taste of Hollywood fame inevitably leaves one with a bitterness that ca never be scrubbed off.
- r13 He never should have agreed to bearding! Knowing that he admitted to being gay a few times in articles, how could he have thought anyone would buy it? At best he should have made his PR people do and say nothing about his sexuality until it came up if at all. If they had left that damn wiki page alone (after the first edit where someone posted about his gayness) nobody would be talking about it now. Hell, maybe most people wouldn''t even know about it now.
- Can we get over the ''sexuality is fluid'' bullshit and just accept that this is nothing more than a Hollywood sham? He''s a commodity, now, which means movie studios have to maximize the ability to market him. If they wouldn''t have trotted out the beard, then likely no one would have cared - the gays would know the truth, and the fraus could keep on swooning and devoting Angelfire websites to him.
- From Wiki:\
[quote]During his early career Evans openly identified as gay. In a 2002 interview he said "[E]verybody knew me as a gay man, and in my life in London I never tried to hide it" and that by being open he wouldn''t have "that skeleton in the closet they can rattle out". In 2004 he said that his acting career had not suffered by being out.\
[quote]In September 2010, Evans was romantically linked with a woman.
- From the first thread:\
[quote]Is this his ''girlfriend'' that tweeted this because ''bestie'' in the UK means ''my best friend''.\
It means the same in the U.S., at least if you''re under 30 and a straight female. I know plenty of them who call their gay male best friends that. I have NEVER heard anyone call their straight boyfriend that.
- Yeah, this coward is fucked either way.\
If he beards up, and renounces his gay past, he''s movie career will be cut short. In the minds of the general public he is, and always will be, a cocksucker..... just like Tom Cruise''s gay rumors haven''t stopped (and they never will). He and Travolta, and many of his ilk, are the laughing stock of Hollywood, and the movie going public. And let''s be honest here, Luke Evans, hasn''t proven himself to be the main public drawing star on any film. \
If, on the other hand, he does the noble thing, and says this was all a misunderstanding and he is still gay. He may not have a huge action star career. But he will find himself having work.... plus the respect of his peers, and public.
- Someone on the previous thread compared Luke Evans with Luke Macfarlane:
[quote] I totally respect how Luke Macfarlane came out. It was not just about publicity, but about staying true to himself. He said that it might cost him some roles, but it's worth it in the end. He has balls, unlike Evans.
But Luke Evans said all of the same things that Macfarlane has said, and then he STILL went back into the closet. Evans said he came out to be true to himself and that it might cost him some roles, but he'd rather be out and poor than be rich and hiding in the closet. But then, when Hollywood came calling, all of that went out the window.
What Evans' case shows is that you never know what might happen. While I agree that Luke Macfarlane seems more honest and responsible, if Macfarlane can't find another decent TV or movie role after Brothers and Sisters goes off the air, who knows what might happen? Maybe in a few years we'll be reading about how Macfarlane is dating a "stunning" woman. And if you think that sounds laughable, well, everybody would have laughed in 2002 if you had suggested that one day Evans would claim to be dating a woman.
- I just checked IMDB. Luke Evans has TEN projects in the works right now. Luke MacFarlane has nothing. How depressing.
- [quote]I just checked IMDB. Luke Evans has TEN projects in the works right now. Luke MacFarlane has nothing. How depressing.%0D\
I don''t know if being gay is the reason Luke MacFarlane doesn''t have anything coming up, but I do know that TV actors seem to have a harder time getting parts than movie actors. Whatever the case, at least Luke MacFarlane didn''t sell his soul to the devil for fame and money and he can live his life without worrying about being "caught". This pig Luke Evans on the other hand fucked himself over by LYING about his past. If he hadn''t been such a pussy and ran back into the closet, it wouldn''t have turned into the circus that is has.
- [quote]It means the same in the U.S., at least if you're under 30 and a straight female. I know plenty of them who call their gay male best friends that. I have NEVER heard anyone call their straight boyfriend that.%0D
[quote]While I agree that Luke Macfarlane seems more honest and responsible, if Macfarlane can't find another decent TV or movie role after Brothers and Sisters goes off the air, who knows what might happen?%0D
But not everyone MAKES it in Hollywood anyway. Actors fade naturally, they have their run. Not everything should be attributed to sexuality or otherwise because many actors get ONE lucky break and never do anything else. %0D
Sometimes it's just the luck of the draw, nothing more. There were hosts of good-looking young actors in 80s horrors flicks who never went onto do ANYTHING barring Johnny Depp. Scores of them fell by the wayside. They can't all have been gay can they? %0D
I take the view that it's not a given that everyone MUST be a continual success just because they are reasonably well-known or that success in one show/film automatically catapults them to greater levels. Some people don't even find their real acting chops until later life. There's still time for the Luke's of this world but not everybody is going to be a roaring success, nor should they be. Acting is very dog eat dog and only a few names out of millions entering the profession worldwide ever really make it big.
- most of you people on this thread are idiots.
He has never denied anything. he hasnt lied about anything.You need to get your facts straight before you start insulting him for choosing to be private about his personal life. He has never been quoted as saying he is dating that girl. its a gossip column that mentioned it over a year ago and he has never been seen with her since.
you make me sick, you're all haters. Why the fuck does he have to come out AGAIN? for your benefit? he did it 10 years ago. Get over it. He obviously has. That girl could be his best friend for all you know. Your hating someone you know nothing about. apart from a 10 year old interview and a gossip column in a shitty british newspaper.
Gay people are the most judgmental people I know. you attack your own when they choose not to scream it from the roof tops. Believe it or not people can change as they grow older. Maybe he doesnt want to be the face of the gay community and represent the vicious opinionated Gays who only want to knock him down.
Frankly he will never win this battle as people like yourself will always judge him no matter what he does. Pathetic.
- Continuing from what the poster above me said (and I mantain this view from the previous thread) the most depressing aspect of all this is I can''t shake the vibe that Luke Evans was/is quite happy to go along with this nonsense until he got rumbled by someone with sharp eyes and a functioning memory who''d kept a back copy of the original coming out article from 2002.%0D\
He''s now gone radio silence, apparently answering questions re: the curing of being gay as ''tabloid fodder''. So what''s that supposed to mean? That''s cosy and non-committal. Someone''s real frosty on the topic now isn''t he? Unlike the hetero-friendly tweets churned out with gushing aplomb beforehand. %0D\
Maybe the old trusty PR goon will cobble up a nice Daily Mail article on renouncing a horrific gay past. "She made me see there was more to life than handjobs behind Safeways!". %0D\
Damn. I HOPE but don''t expect we''ll be seeing much upfront honesty without the use of slimey PR. This is Jake Gyllenhaal mark II time. I''m done here.
- R23, please. Enough with the fangirl finger-waving. For starters not everybody debating this is gay and most gays won't give two hoots about some actors private life. You people ALWAYS use this arrogant argument against gays like a battering ram. %0D
Luke Evans was HAPPY to go along with this to get his Hollywood career rolling. We are not idiots. We all KNOW how the ropes work. %0D
But yes you go and throw it back at everyone else because we're always the bad guy. It never has anything to do with the actual person who said/did these things is it? Always someone else's fault. %0D
That SOME gay people are judgemental because too many GAYS are still being forced to live in the fucking closet and told you can't get anywhere unless you do. We are angry with the system. Try being a GAY for five minutes and you'd have half a shred of being able to understand instead of soapboxing as if the rest of us are at fault for debating this guy.%0D
Tell him he should be grateful people give as much as a damn. %0D
- [quote]He has never denied anything. he hasnt lied about anything.You need to get your facts straight before you start insulting him for choosing to be private about his personal life. He has never been quoted as saying he is dating that girl. its a gossip column that mentioned it over a year ago and he has never been seen with her since.%0D
Another thing before I go. Please, whoever you are, actors don't NEED to say/deny anything, their people talk for them. Everything sanctioned in the Daily Mail will have been known about by those directly involved.%0D
It's okay saying he never denied. He didn't have to. He was waltzing down a designer-laid straight path set out in a Welsh paper and the Daily Mail. %0D
It's subtely done. First Evans was "quoted" about his girlfriend and engagement/non-engagagement, whatever, then the girlfriend was "re-quoted", the designer-done refs to engagements, the designer-done angles that made it look obvious, the tweets flying about were designer-done. None of them he has backtracked on or explained. %0D
It's you that thinks we are stupid. We just see through the stupid. Its been done to DEATH lady and no amount of you Fiona Fangirling will change it. %0D
For my part I'm absolutely done here. I have kept my debating on DL and am drawing a line under it.
- r23, you give fangirls a bad name. OK, not that that''s possible.\
Listen bitch, he''s never been "private" about his "private life". That''s the point! It''s not like he''s being consistent about it! He tried to get back in the closet because he''s an opportunist and thinks the whole world is stupid and gullible. Nobody here expects him to share details about his sex life or even say who he''s dating, get it??? People are pissed because after talking about his private life in a few interviews in the past decade, suddenly he''s allegedly dating a woman and you can trash it all you want but he never denied it!\
His conduct gives all the homophobes ammo saying "See? Gay IS a choice!"
- like duh, that''s why celebs pay handlers: To speak and act on their behalf.\
The moment an official source goes on record to confirm a rumor, deny some incident took place, or make a public statement it was officially run and [bold]approved [/bold]by the client. Sure some handlers manipulate, convince, blackmail or persuade a client to agree with their strategy, but in most cases the handlers are instructed to make the tough decisions the client is too afraid to do himself.
- Reading all of Holly Goodchild's twitters, I have come to the conclusion that there clearly was an attempt of bearding involved.
The following is all conjecture.... It seems to me that they were really good friends for quite some time. When he hit it big in Hollywood, and came back for a visit, he may have %C2%A8proposed%C2%A8 the whole bearding thing to her (what better person to beard yourself with than with your best friend?, that way you don't have to involve yourself sexually with her, but get to share your Hollywood life with a person who has been there for you and whom you love.... but are not IN love with).
If one reads her twitters, it's clear that she only very occasionally gets to see him.... lol, like 3 or 4 times in the past year/year and half.
What's shameful, is that he agreed to beard in the first place. Specially, after all the %C2%A8living poor as an out gay man, blah, blah, blah%C2%A8 he said back then.
And even tho, she was also involved in the farce, I can't really blame her..... the only thing she did wrong was not keeping her trap shut and actually going on record and saying they were %C2%A8dating%C2%A8. She should have done what all the rest of the beards who only appear with their boos on premiers, awards shows, etc. do: namely, looking pretty and keeping their trap shut.
- I think in May 2010 when she called him her "bestie", they were just friends. She was "catching up" with him and hadn''t seen him for some time. Then in September 2010 she went to a premiere with him. Did she even say the things that are attributed to her, because the piece reads so much like gushy PR press release? But if she did, she was fairly vague about exactly what the relationship was and apparently her Facebook status was "single" at the time. If she had been officially recruited as a beard wouldn''t they have given her more advice how to do it? Have either she or Luke ever implied they are in a relationship since?
- It would be kind of nice to see where being openly gay, but not stereotypically so, would have gotten him. It seems the only way gays on film are accepted is if they push the envelope of ''queeniness'' or act like a total buffoon, like Jack McFarland. Brokeback Mountain gays cause a lot of discomfort for some reason - look at the reaction to that movie versus something like Priscilla, where being gay means being fab-u-lous! Luke would certainly go against type. I''m doubtful any big studios would bank on the ability to do so, but then maybe the best route would have been just to let him live his life and not make an issue of the bearding.
- [quote] He has never denied anything. he hasnt lied about anything.You need to get your facts straight before you start insulting him for choosing to be private about his personal life. He has never been quoted as saying he is dating that girl. \
Maybe he hasn''t actually said he''s straight, but don''t you think it''s strongly implied by quotes like these that he gave in a Cosmo article?\
4. They Like to Be Romantic\
"Just the other week, I sang to a very close female friend. She almost cried. And I love to cook! I''ve impressed hundreds of women with my cooking. And they always come back for more."\
5. They Have Platonic Girl Pals...Sort Of\
"Absolutely we can have female friends and not want to have sex with them. You dream about having sex with them, but you don%E2%80%99t actually have sex with them."
- Earlier on the other thread (I think) somebody mentioned a wallpost somebody left him on facebook saying:%0D\
[quote]So Marcus Bachmann is right and one''s sexual orientation *can* indeed be changed? %0D\
to which he replied "tabloid fodder".%0D\
I''m happy to see him tweet:%0D\
[quote]RT @Mr_Luke_Evans NOTHING SAID ON THIS PAGE COMES FROM LUKE EVANS. %0D\
referring to that facebook page while and also later linking to his real official page. So at least we know he''s not being bitchy to fans about it.
- Of course he is implying that he is straight now, but so what? Everyone on here should realize that Hollywood exists on selling fantasy to a primarily straight conservative world. %0D
Every single star is in one kind of closet or another. How many times have you read about the loving family man actor when we all know that he's cheating on his wife every single day with assorted sluts? Or the "America's Sweetheart" actress who in reality is a raving bitch to anyone who crosses her path? Or the health nut movie star who in private is single-handedly keeping the local drug dealers in business? These are all closets and there are many different kinds out there because anything that is contrary to the fantasy that Middle America (& the increasingly important overseas market) wants to believe can hurt business. %0D
I don't have a problem with entertainers being in the closet. They are just trying to work & be successful. I do have a problem with anti-gay politicians being in the closet, if you want to out someone why not out them.
- Thanks, r33, that mystery is solved.%0D
I think it's worth posting here the original Daily Mail piece:%0D
Handsome Welsh actor Luke Evans, 31, who stars with Gemma Arterton in Tamara Drewe, is dating fashion industry PR Holly Goodchild, 27 %E2%80%93 even though she describes herself as single on Facebook.%0D
After being friends for some years, the pair are now an item, Holly said at the premiere of Luke%E2%80%99s film last week. %E2%80%98Luke%E2%80%99s lovely %E2%80%93 we%E2%80%99re really old friends and it just sort of happened,%E2%80%99 she said. He added: %E2%80%98We are nowhere near engaged but things are really good.%E2%80%99 %0D
Maybe Holly will make Luke the exception to her rule in life, which is, I%E2%80%99m told: %E2%80%98Here%E2%80%99s to all the men in my life, may they never be my husband,%E2%80%99 %E2%80%93 a quote she has published on her Facebook page.%0D
-- Aside from the fact that we have 1 quote attributed to her and 1 attributed to him (mistakenly re-printed as both from her in the walesonline article), this piece reads very, very snarky, kind of like the gossip columnist is saying "wink, wink, nudge, nudge, this is all bs, dear reader."
- A Scottish blogger takes him to task.%0D
- From the article r36 posted%0D\
[quote]But now Evans is adamant that he likes women and has been seen dating a string of human blow-up dolls who only respond when you stuff money into their mouths.%0D\
That''s not exactly true, there was one beard on one occasion mentioned twice in the press. I am very willing to forgive and forget if he even somewhat vaguely comes out (but it would be great if he could be clear about it and denounce the relationship with the beard) Bearding is a horrible thing to do, yes, but I don''t think it''s the end of the world and I just hope he won''t do it again.
- I agree with you, R34, and I guess he doesn''t have to be the poster boy for shattering the Hollywood glass closet if he doesn''t want to be, but it''s still disappointing.
- [quote] I don''t have a problem with entertainers being in the closet.\
I don''t either. But that''s not the issue here. Evans came out of the closet, and vowed that he would never go back in, and criticized other celebrities like George Michael who had hidden their sexuality for many years. And then he proceeded to do the very things that he criticized others for and said he would never do. The issue with Evans isn''t in the closet vs. out of the closet. The issue is hypocrisy.
- Wikipedia applies "category tags" to people and subject. They have removed the "gay" tag from Luke Evans, and have locked it. Oh, and they''re upset that gay people have tried to participate there.\
Wikipedia is just so fucked up. The basic problem there is that they don''t think there is any such thing as a fact. It''s all politics there. If you can get a dozen people and a couple of insiders to say that the world is flat, that''s what''ll go in.\
Well, same deal with Luke Evans. His p.r. people are still fighting, and I predict that the article will be scrubbed, eventually. Wikipedia is a joke.
- He''s a pathetic pussy.
- "Luke Evans has TEN projects in the works right now. Luke MacFarlane has nothing. How depressing"%0D\
And this has nothing to do with them being openly out or not. MacFarlane is handsome but doesn''t have the It factor.
- Do you think Luke Evans will still have ''It'' after this, R42?
- Definately R42, compared to MacFarlane. I have nothing against MacFarlane though, he''s a dreamboat.
- I woundn''t be surprised if he continually getting movie jobs. Do you think the movie freaks and fanboys and the rest of the world really care about all these " he''s a pussy, doesn''t do any good to the welfare of the gay community" shit? Hell no.
- Luke Ev ans is hardly an "it" actor either. He''s marginally attractive (provided he has tonnes of foundation to cover the cracks in his face) and has appeared in a bunch of D-list trash.
- It''s too bad that they''re basically celebrating closet cases in Hollywood, but actors who happen to be openly gay are not getting any roles. How sad and pathetic.%0D\
Oh, and I actually think Luke Macfarlane is better looking than Luke Evans. Evans looks fucking old, wrinkly and like he''s smoked cigarettes his whole life. Does he have a case of the rapid aging for british actors too? Macfarlane looks so much younger, healthier and hotter than Evans.%0D\
BTW.. I''m not too worried for Macfarlane. Worst case scenario he could just go for gay roles, or do theater, or go back home to Canada and do some acting gigs there. They don''t care about actors sexuality up there, they''re not as uptight as their southern neighbors.
- [quote]Luke Evans is hardly an "it" actor either. He''s marginally attractive (provided he has tonnes of foundation to cover the cracks in his face) and has appeared in a bunch of D-list trash.%0D\
Thank you. %0D\
People are acting like Evans is something special when his acting is nothing exceptional either. I also agree that he''s marginally attractive - he looks more like 42 than 32 and the lines in his face are terrible.%0D\
- And yet he has TEN movies in the pipeline. And this isn''t movies in development -- well, two of them are, ok -- but he has EIGHT projects actually in pre- post- or current production. All of them pretty big productions, too.
- R46 Well, he''s now working for The Hobbit, definately not a D-list trash. A lot of A-listers with the It factor has appeared in a good number of F-list trash. Sometimes a defect on an actor''s face or body did liven up the character he/she played. Think about Willem Dafoe.
- The premature aging will only get worse once all the LIES start piling up.
- [quote]Well, he''s now working for The Hobbit, definately not a D-list trash.%0D\
It''s not D-list trash, but as with the LOTR actors, it will do nothing for his long-term career.
- I agree R47 In terms of youthfulness, MacFarlane wins. But I personally think Evans is sexier, edgier, and has strong screen presence. His old appearance doesn''t screw his handsomeness.
- [quote]But I personally think Evans is sexier, edgier, and has strong screen presence. %0D\
Edgier? This pussy is no different than the rest of the closet cases in the entertainment industry. %0D\
- r47 and r48 I agree he''s nothing to write home about and I don''t think he''s such a great actor either. I think it''s something else. It''s HW''s fascination with foreigners with an accent and a different look (that is if they are mostly of anglo-saxon descent and have a nice English accent that isn''t American). It''s something "different". They sound different and they look different which is refreshing and when they have that British accent (that sounds so posh to Americans) and give that "aristocratic" air (even if they were born working class which is often the case), America is smitten!\
Many of those actors are good looking and good actors but some, not so much.
- R54 Sorry, I was talking about looks. His pussyness or closet shit does not affect my view on his appearance.
- R55 No one here says he''s a great actor. But I see his potential to be successful as a typecast actor. All the roles he''s been given were ancient knights/gods, that suits him and his British thing well. I''m not American.
-  %0D\
Comparing gay people to drug addicts or whatever?%0D\
Go away, you idiot! There''s nothing shameful in being gay.That''s why you must not hide it.
- R58 "There''s nothing shameful in being gay. That''s why you must not hide it"%0D\
Unfortunately, not everyone thinking the same way as you do, including some of the gays themselves.
- R58 "There''s nothing shameful in being gay. That''s why you must not hide it."%0D\
Unfortunately, not everyone thinking the same way as you do, including the gays themselves. Some people need time, as not everyone is as brave as you do. And people do change their minds through time for some reason.%0D\
I socialised with gays in my daily life, and honestly I think most of them are even cooler because they are very open minded, educated, well-spoken, calm and appreciative. They proud of themselves in a very positive manner. I respect that.%0D\
"I socialised with gays in my daily life"%0D\
- Of course they are, R51. Fangirls have been invading Datalounge for a while now, and it only gets worse and worse for every year.
- R62 "Invasion"?? If so, then DataLounge should have a warning sign "Any fraus, fangirls or any of the allegedly closet celebrity fans are prohibited from joining". %0D\
For not being able to listen to other''s honest opinions automatically making You guys appeared even more coward than the closet cases!
- R62 You are the worst proud case i''ve ever encountered. You seems more paranoid than proud, and its getting worse and worse that you lost all sense of respect. By being so negative like this, You are in fact no better than the fangirls. %0D\
If you are so proud, why anonymous?
- You''re fucking illiterate and tedious, straight bitch. Be gone. And the fact that you would call one of us a "proud case" just shows how motherfucking homophobic and unwanted here you are. Straight allies I have no problem with. We have no fucking patience for marginally-English-proficient jackasses who want to strut in here, say they have lots of gay friends (like that makes you an expert on jack shit), and then lecture down to us and bray your annoyance at any "proud case" who dares talk back to you from their place of non-privilege as if we''re supposed to all kiss your ass and listen when you tell US what "the gays" think.\
Please do just fuck off. You are not welcome here. You are pissing in the punchbowl while telling the hosts they should feel graced by your presence. I suspect you do this often, but you''re never in the wrong, of course. It''s other people who don''t understand your brilliance. Gah, just die.
- R65 No wonder these actors like Luke are afraid of coming out. They are afraid of being generalise as all gays is the same as you pathetic constant uptight bitches! but they are not. They are cool guys! I just can''t see why must you bombard the closeted and the fangirls as if they were seriously damaging your self-esteem. %0D\
By saying that one is not welcome in a free forum proves that you have no tolerance of freedom of speech. This means you and I and the homophobic straights douches are equal!
- You illiterate homophobe, freedom of speech means the government can''t (with some exceptions) tell you what to say. It doesn''t mean privately-owned websites owe you shit. God you''re fucking retarded.
- Fangurl aka no working brain
"Somebody who is hopelessly obsessed with something and likes all things associated with it. Said person will always defend the object of her obsession from perceived verbal attacks even when they point out logical flaws with said object."%0D\
- Father than a fangurl, it''s more likely a slightly savvier Luke Evans PR minion, more successfully derailing the thread than with the ''he''s changed his mind'' tactic.
- r65 and others, I think this troll is the same girl from the "HIV on the rise in Muslim countries" thread.
- Wikipedia still says he used to be openly gay but is now dating a woman. I thought it had been changed.
- [R71] IMO, she sounds more like an infatuated middle-aged woman
- [quote] @Julie_Atherton %0D\
did Stephen give u your hug from me? X%0D\
14 Aug in reply to %E2%86%91 %0D\
[quote] @Mr_Luke_Evans %0D\
he did baby. Miss you xxx%0D\
14 Aug via web %0D\
Hopefully, Stephen Fry will also give some much-needed counsel.
- Still quiet??? \
I doubt it.
- Fangirl with a working brain.%0D
To overly emotional people, nobody here hates Mr Evans. We just hate what his PR is obviously doing in order to make him more marketable. I think they are making a huge mistake. Putting him back into the closet won't make him more appealing to anyone - gays, straights who support gay rights, homophobes. His PR cannot erase all copies of magazines he gave interviews to, and sites who quoted him, in order to rebuild his image as 100% straight.%0D
It is sad that he could be honest while he was in indie movies but now that he snagged a major role in a major franchise, it's Hollywood machinery that runs his life. This is ridiculous. Gay people aren't people from another planet to anyone anymore. Majority of movie goers know who closet gay stars are and don't care. They go see their movies. Moreover, teenage girls, whose money Hollywood wants above all else, prefer their hotties to be gay rather than dating another girl. This target audience is famously writing slash. This is not 80s and 90s when you-know-who-mega-star had to stay in the closet or his career would be over. Therefore, it's really bad that Mr Evans PR doesn't see an opportunity to do something right but repeats the outdated approach to star-making that nobody is buying anymore. In fact, it's completely ridiculous to pull the beard attempts when your client went on the public record about being gay."
Wikipedia is ok. But his Pr is deleting all threads mentioning Luke being gay on IMDB, now.
- Any news?
- R79 - I''m sure his handlers (and maybe Luke himself) are hoping the story will just go away, which it seems to be doing.
- But R77 they STILL do not get it though.. they still blame his PR people for what happened, and Luke Evans is just a victim in all of this. I mean, really?!?! Like he wasn''t in on it all along? Like he doesn''t have free will? Like they can just come in and do whatever they want to his career without his consent first? Please.\
The thing is, Luke has been in on this. It''s obvious. He even could have put a stop to it, but he didn''t. That speaks volumes. This is something he wants. He''s a pathetic sell out, end of. There''s really not much more to say. I don''t have any respect left for this guy.
- It only goes away until he has to give interviews or promote a movie again - whether he denies it all or avoids it all, it''ll come right back up with a fervor. We''ll see when The Three Mustketeers is out in october and Immortals in November.
- r82 is right, and we need to make sure those journalists are doing their jobs.
I totally agree with you. Evans has been in on this nonsense all along.
- TOLD YOU you guys the media wasn''t going to "out" him no matter how much he screams from the rooftops about his love for big, fat cocks!\
Apart from a few gay blogs and Chelsea, nobody picked this as far as I know. \
What a fucking disgrace. I bet HE''s happy thinking he dodged the homo bullet successfully.\
Fuck him, his movies and his career.
- Well, r85, it''s not like Luke Evans is widely known. 99.9% of the public would go "who" if the media outed him now.%0D\
The test is going to be in October/November, when he starts doing the media rounds to promote The Three Musketeers and Immortals. Hopefully, a journalist or two worth their salt will ask the necessary questions.
- r86 They never out celebs. We''ve talked about it many times, including in here. It''s all "scratch my back and I''ll scratch yours" kind of thing. While I don''t condone forceful outing of celebs, in this case when the guy was as out as can be and then tried to beard shamelessly, it''s different.\
They are not going to out him.
- Well, r87, that''s when WE point out that the media is being derelict in their profession if they go along with this charade. I''m seriously not going to let him get away with it.
- The media wouldn''t be ''outing'' him, though - he already did that himself.
- Just wait, R85. His high profile films start opening in October. Just wait.\
Luke Evans = Douchebag
Are you kidding? The tabloid media will report on this if he becomes "hot". Tabloids forced the likes of Stephen Gately out of the closet ("give us an exclusive coming out interview or we''ll out you anyway"). It''s only a matter of time.
- The Wiki page is no longer "protected".
- It''s unlikely that tabloids can really force someone out of the closet - they just create a situation that puts the celebrity on the spot. Do they deny or come out? If someone like Gately, Neil Patrick Harris or Chad Allen takes a deep breath and comes out, then people say the tabloids outed somone. Yet if PR smothers the story (either aggressively, the Tom Cruise way, or just by bait and switch) and the celeb carries on without admitting anything, other media generally do not take the story up and it will go away. We''ve seem this with Spacey, Travolta, Matt le Blanc - plenty of people.
I agree with you
- On IMDB, another thread about Luke''s sexual orientation was deleted.
- Why, R95?
Censure by a homophobic PR.
- His MFing PR people probably think the world has forgotten about his gay-straight-bearding gay adventure and we are the only ones who know.\
We''ll see about that.
- R95 Another reason IMDB is a joke.%0D\
That''s OK - let him be a pussy. We can do our part by not spending our money on this closet cases'' movies.
- On IMDB all threads about Luke''s sexual orientation have been deleted.
- Again, r100?%0D\
Do his PR people really think this will go away?%0D\
Some of us are gonna make sure it doesn''t.%0D\
- Please everyone, boycott this idiot''s movies. We need to show that we will not accept what he''s doing.
I partially agree with you.%0D\
Definitely we need to show that we will not accept his lies but to boycott him? Why?
- It''s pathetic how his PR ppl are trying to closet him. It''s also very insulting to gays and to ppl''s intelligence in general. Makes me dislike him although I don''t know much about him except for everything I read in here.
- [quote]Please everyone, boycott this idiot''s movies. We need to show that we will not accept what he''s doing.%0D\
Don''t worry - I will definitely be boycotting his movies. I don''t support closet cases. It''s assholes like him that care more about fame and money that being gay is STILL looked upon as being something to be ashamed of and hide.%0D\
- On Imdb,once again, the threads - posted today - about LE being gay have been deleted.%0D
- What the fuck. Does IMDB have a warning bell that goes off every time someone says gay on Evan''s page? Maybe you should try using a code word for the thread name.
- I think his PR people complained and asked IMDB to delete those threads. Probably the administrators are monitoring the posts.%0D\
- It''s amusing that his PR people STILL think they can hide the fact that he''s gay, even though a simple Google search for "Luke Evans gay" now turns up the Advocate article, the Gaydarnation article (where he talks about gay porn), and several blogs that have written about the controversy, plus these DataLounge threads. Throughout this whole situation, his PR people have acted as if they''re unaware that there''s a thing called Google and that some people know how to use it.
- Hopefully when he is doing PR for the Immortals some journalist will have the balls to ask him and we will see what he says.
- Except,R110, the quasi-mythical ''journalists with balls'' certainly aren''t entertainment journalists - even if they wanted to go here, they''d never get past the PR screening and would be hit with all sorts of threats and phone call to their editors if they got out of line.
- r110 unless he''s caught with a dick in his mouth, on camera, posted on youtube or whatever, no entertainment "journalist" will EVER ask him that! EVER! These people are part of the business, with aspirations and ambition of their own. They are not going to alienate a star and all TPTB behind a star b/c they will have to look for a job in some other business afterward.%0D\
The only time entertainment media turns against a star is when that star screws up so badly that it can''t be concealed and the people behind that star throw them under the bus. That doesn''t happen that often.
- [quote]I socialised with gays in my daily life, and honestly I think most of them are even cooler because they are very open minded, educated, well-spoken, calm and appreciative. They proud of themselves in a very positive manner. I respect that.%0D\
Well that''s nice of you to say so but it doesn''t stop some gays getting very cross with the daily dose of homophobic PR from the industry that relies upon gay money to function, both from those behind the scenes and the actors themselves, then backstabs gay kids by refusing them visible celebrity icons or role models that say it''s okay to be who you are. %0D\
Sadly the industry is so tied up in making money that being gay often gets in the way of that. You can''t run from yourself forever and jackass PR and management teams don''t help, in fact make it worse. %0D\
People aren''t really looking for ''respect they just want to be treated equally and not have to hide who they are.
- But R112, he is sort of "caught with a dick in his mouth" as he has given at least two interviews that are easily accessible in which he talks about being a gay man.\
They might allow him to glass closet it but if he tries to seriously beard there WILL be an issue. \
Luke Evans is a different situation than other actors because it isn''t internet gossip, it is from his own legitimate public interviews.
- r114 You don''t have to convince me. I agree but if anything, this thread and everything that has happened in the last month, proves just how much the entertainment media is in bed with the business and serves as talking heads and PR people to the stars. We really got a glimpse behind the curtain and it''s disgusting and fascinating at the same time.
- I wonder if he''ll avoid going on Alan Carr''s talk show. After all, Carr straight up asked Linday Lohan if she was "back on the cock"...
- I imagine he''ll soon be making the press rounds; here''s a making-of featurette for The Three Musketeers.
- Criminy, he%E2%80%99s not someone in power or out to hurt anyone, he%E2%80%99s just a no-name shmoe trying to find employment in a homohobic industry. I hate to see so much outrage directed at a nobody, in a world wwere Michelle Bachman is a big fucking name in politics. %0D\
- And I hate to see people who justifies liars and cowards like Luke Evans.
- This is exactly what I mean by DL''s violent misogyny, and if you don''t intervene against it, you are acting in favor of it:\
"Ann Coulter is responsible for that horrible stench that emanates from her dried up gash wherever she goes."\
Your violence against women helps kill queer teens.\
Ann Coulter''s stupidity has nothing to do with her body parts.\
Stop the violence.\
Stop the hate.\
It''s killing us.
- Luke Evans is pathetic.
- There's a guy on famousmalesforum who claims to have solo sex pics/vid of Luke Evans.
If you PM him, he suggests he'll show you on skype. Here's the thing though: he demands a screen share so that he can see your desktop, to make sure you're not recording the video call.
Perhaps one of you techno wizards could fool him into thinking you're not recording the good stuff ;) and then come and share what you've seen/recorded with us...
- r122, just hold your phone up to the computer. It won't be the cleanest copy, but you'll get video without it showing up on your desktop.
My webcam's built into my laptop so they'd see me holding up my phone.
- Is he still straight, lol?
Solo sex pics/vid??? Meaning him jerking off?
Actors are such idiots and narcissists with their sex pics/vids.
- I type "Luke Evans gay" into Google every other day -- news, blogs, etc. -- and there hasn't been anything new. Yet.
- If the guy had anything, R122, he'd show it... or sell it.
- Once again the thread on IMDB "Luke Evans is gay" is gone. Now they (pr people, fangurls?) wait a few days before deleting it.
I read this on Theonering.net forum "He (LE) also has six films coming out between now and next December so I'm sure he's going to be flying back and forth to do promotion and attending premieres for those."
Hence, people don't have to know he's gay.
R121 is right Luke Evans is pathetic and a fraud.
Definitely a liar and a coward.
- His Pr people and Evans himself are hoping the story will just go away, which it seems to be doing.
Still straight and ugly.
- r131 All this saga just made me not give a shit about him and his career. His PR ppl caused him damage.
He's no victim. He was happy to go along with this bullshit all along.
This saga is absurd and amusing at the same time.
- LE is hilarious.
- Hilarious or pathetic?
- Well, both. Lol
I agree with you.
- I'm looking forward to seeing "The three Musketeers" première and the "straight" Aramis.
- When is "TTM" premiere?
- r133 Oh, ita with you.
- Canada's Xtra rehashes the events from August:
- [quote] West-London-theatre-star
I think he prefers Hammersmith-theatre-star
- He's not a star:just a back in the closet coward.
- DL is a message board for gay men who hate homosexuals and women, and for women who hate homosexuals and themselves.
Stop the hatred.
It's killing our kids.
- I wouldn't mind d if someone killed this retarded spamming freak.
- Interesting interview
see offsite link on www.popeater.com/2010/11/05/ian-mckellen-hollywood-sexuality/
- Any news?
- Nope. I've been checking google and yahoo practically every day and there's nothing new. The Three Musketeers hits theaters on October 21, followed by Immortals on November 11, so he's got to show up in the media soon.
- TTM London première on October 4, I think.
- The Three Musketeers premiere was last night in London. Who did Luke take with him?
- If you look on wireimage he was there with that girl everyone says he's dating and they are chummy in the pics. So either he is still bearding or is an EX Gay! Either way time for the ole heave ho!
- Still bearding?
I told you Luke Evans is a fraud and a coward.
- I have no clue who this guy is but I am intrigued.
How the hell do you closet yourself after being out on the record?
Is he actually claiming to be straight now? What is the story?
Or is there just some rumor about him dating a girl?
Someone summarize for me.
- r154, Here's the first thread
all the drama started there
- I assume it's because you're aided and abetted by the system and "entertainment journalism" (oxymoron), r154.
- He really has a nerve to still pretend or just let people assume he's dating her and is straight just by showing up with her.
Also, if he bearded in London, you can bet your collective asses he's going to beard in the US!!!
- Even Milla Jojovich contributes to the "inning" of Luke Evans:
- Being British, he's got about 5 minutes left on his looks, plus he has limited talent to begin with. Sooner or later, studios are going to realize he's not much of a box-office draw and his 'it boy' phase will crash and burn. At that point, he's going to come back to the gay press and moan and bitch about how horrible Hollywood is. If no one thinks he should go fuck himself now, then wait for that point to happen - because it will.
- Trailer for "The Raven," the formerly out gay British actor Luke Evans' 2012 thriller co-starring John Cusack as Edgar Allen Poe. It looks pretty underwhelming.
I agree with you. Luke Evans is a fraud.
- He's ugly and has no talent.
- He's pathetic. Never seen such a fame whore.
- Just seen the pictures of him and his 'girlfriend' on wireimage.
He has what we call in the UK brass neck.
- He really has no shame. I hope "the gays" don't let him get away with it.
- We should start showing up at the premieres with placards that say "Luke Evans is Gay"
- I finally saw a trailer for that shitty take on 3 Musketeers he's in. That crap certainly won't linger around long enough to increase his profile. I mean, it's been more than 10 years since Crouching Tiger and Matrix, and they still do that suspended levitation bullshit as a special effect?
- His "big breakout Hollywood" film looks to be overtaken even by that imported sequel starring Mr. Bean. It's more likely that footage of a Three Musketeers candy bar would get better box office.
Too bad, closet lover. You must be livid that Zach Quinto is fifty times the man and actor that you will *ever* be.
- From The Daily Beast, with comments from Howard Bragman and Paris Barclay:
Can an Action Star Be Gay?
Oct 24, 2011 12:00 AM EDT
Zachary Quinto came out of the closet last week; the formerly out Luke Evans has possibly gone back in. Tricia Romano looks at the shifting politics of being an out actor.
Last week, Zachary Quinto, best known for playing Spock, casually came out as gay to New York magazine, in a tossed off aside in part of a longer feature story that barely focused on his frank admission about his sexuality.
Though he later posted an eloquent and moving statement on his website further explaining why he finally chose to come out, his directness brought to mind another burgeoning blockbuster star, Luke Evans, who found himself in the news after alert Internet watchdogs at the gay news website AfterElton noticed his Wikipedia page had been scrubbed clean.
Evans, now 32, started his career on the stage in London—working his way up from fringe productions to roles in Rent, Taboo, and Avenue Q. Now that he’s crossed the pond, he's embarking on a high-profile career in movies. He co-starred in the current release The Three Musketeers, next month he will be seen as Zeus in Immortals, and in March will star opposite John Cusack in The Raven. By the time his biggest vehicle, The Hobbit, comes out in Dec. 2012, we can assume that many Americans will know who he is.
But in 2002, Luke Evans gave a very clearheaded and witty interview to The Advocate about his role in Boy George’s play Taboo and talked openly about being out and gay. That bit of info was briefly gone from his Wikipedia page.
Nearly 10 years later, he seems to be doing a backward dance—if not into the closet, at least behind a smokescreen. He has given interviews in women’s mags that obliquely reference a special “someone” and items have appeared in newspapers stating that he’s dating a female publicist in London.
Attempts to reach his publicist were not returned, but his representative told AfterElton after the Wikipedia controversy: “I do not comment on my clients' personal lives in the media. As for Luke, he did so once, a long time ago when he was an inexperienced, young actor and now with maturity and hindsight, he has learned not to engage the press in his personal life again.”
But if we are to believe his candid interview in 2002, Evans is still gay (or at the very least, bisexual).
And that means Luke Evans could be our first gay action star. The question is: Is America ready for him?
“We don’t have an out male action hero, yet,” said Howard Bragman, the Hollywood publicist and vice chairman of Reputation.com. Bragman, who’s helped myriad gay and lesbian actors and sports stars come out—including Meredith Baxter, Dick Sargent, and Sheryl Swoopes—thinks Evans would be as good a pioneer as anyone. “He’s a wonderful actor, he’s got great composure, he’s very articulate.”
And Bragman thinks that the tide has turned, culturally. “Pop culture, public sentiment, and politics all sort of move in alignment, OK?” said Bragman. “Politics is probably the last, the slowest; pop culture the first, public sentiment follows and then the political cover is there. But they all work together. Pop culture is huge. Somebody coming out still is huge. And look at the landscape. Look at how many openly gay people you have on network television.”
Plus, he says, actors coming out today have a far smaller hill to climb than previous generations.
“Especially when you are talking about a moviegoing audience basically, the 15-to-35 age group—they absolutely do not care. This is a crowd that’s 67 percent in favor of gay marriage, gay rights. It’s a non-issue. The younger you go, the more they don’t care, because of the visibility,” he said. “Can you ever grow up and watch Will and Grace and Modern Family and ever be intimidated by a gay person again?”
Paris Barclay, the man who interviewed Evans in The Advocate in 2002, says America might accept an openly gay action hero, too, but he has a caveat. Barclay has been out in Hollywood since the '90s, he’s made his name as a prolific television director and producer, working on Sons of Anarchy, Glee, In Treatment, and many others, casting and directing gay actors in straight roles and straight actors in gay roles.
He said, “I do believe that America would accept an out gay action hero,” but thought there was one line that people were not yet ready to cross.
“Whether they would accept an out gay romantic lead, I am not so sure.”
He chalks this up to the lack of mystique in our celebrity culture—and the ownership that people have of their favorite actors. If an actor in Twilight were to come out, he said, “Young people would know they were gay and they would have difficultly separating that knowledge from the real person and what the real person is doing from what they are seeing on the screen, and I think that would be tricky. Would they want to put the posters up?”
Barclay pointed out that while Neil Patrick Harris frequently plays “straight,” he’s rarely in a non-comedic romantic role. “He’s not playing someone who has to fall in love and kiss a girl and seduce her and be in those directly romantic situations.”
Both men say that Hollywood is ruled by fear—it’s not so much that the industry is homophobic, but that no one wants to stick their neck out for fear that their project fails.
“You know, The Green Hornet starred a straight guy, and it didn’t do that well, did it?”
“Too many of them are afraid of taking the chance and it not working and it blowing back on them and them getting fired,” said Barclay. “It’s easier to go with the guy you know has the girlfriend, the guy you know who walks the red carpet, dates Paris Hilton.”
“Nobody wants their movie not to succeed because they think there may be a homophobic element out there and wouldn’t see him as an action hero,” said Bragman. In the case of someone like Luke Evans, said Bragman, “I would say let the chips fall where they may… if they like him, they like him. You know, The Green Hornet starred a straight guy, and it didn’t do that well, did it?”
Still, as the number of out actors grows, the shock factor shrinks. While Quinto’s coming out shocked no one in Hollywood, for some knowing that Spock is gay might come as a surprise. Bragman points out that how much an actor’s career is affected has to do with the public persona he has already. “As I always say, there’s duh and wow, OK?” he said. “Ricky Martin, Clay Aiken— those are probably more duh; and Chely Wrights in the country world, or a professional athlete coming out—those tend me to be more wow.” Quinto, he said, “was closer to a duh than a wow. It wasn’t a well-kept secret in the industry—but there’s a big difference than being known in the industry and coming out and saying ‘I’m a gay man.’ And that’s a huge bridge to cross. I think he did it beautifully, I think he did it authentically to him.”
These days—in a time when openly gay actor Neil Patrick Harris can bring box office results in family films like The Smurfs and host the Emmys— the question isn’t: Do you want a career or do you want to be out? It’s, what kind of career do you want? If you are open, you might not become the next Russell Crowe, but you could have a more interesting path. Quinto and Evans are, in a way, taking a parallel ride; but while the former might be seen more as a character actor; the latter, as Barclay put it, “might be a Captain Kirk,” and as he noted: “There are different dollar signs on different kinds of roles.”
Now, a young actor has a choice: “I have a practiced line,” Barclay said of the advice he gives. “You have to sit down with a piece of paper and you have to decide what’s important to you. Is it really important to you to live your life openly and be comfortable, or is it more important to have the good things in life that come with being a huge success? In which case, you are going to have to lie.”
Though he doesn’t necessarily think that’s the wisest choice. “We’re in this period where it seems like suicide seems like it’s a viable option for kids who are hated because they are gay, and because of that there’s a little bit more heat on actors and people in the public eye to stand up,” he said. “Sometimes people will say, ‘That’s not so important to me. I’m not here to represent. I’m not here to be a political personality, just do my art, and do my craft.’”
Those who don’t take the political path, he warns, might regret it. “Because when you are done, you haven’t made a real difference, you will have just made some movies.”
Though the verdict is out on how Luke Evans will handle his sexuality in the future, originally he was quite adamant about being out. He told Barclay in The Advocate: “It's not a big issue, and it's never going to be a big issue for me; whether I'm successful or if I weren't successful, at least I'll never have that skeleton in the closet they can rattle out. Y'know what I mean?”
As for Quinto, in his blog post, he explained that his decision was fueled in part by the news that another gay teenager, Jamey Rodemeyer, had killed himself; a fact made worse by the knowledge that the teen had filmed a gay-rights video for the “It Gets Better” Project.
“In light of Jamey's death—it became clear to me in an instant that living a gay life without publicly acknowledging it is simply not enough to make any significant contribution to the immense work that lies ahead on the road to complete equality,” wrote Quinto.
The road to complete equality—it’s long, but Barclay believes there’s an end in sight: “How do we change the world? That’s my question,” he said. “I have an answer for that. It’s one actor at a time and it’s happening. It’s one actor at a time standing up and saying I’m gay and I’m still going to have a career."
- The above article has inspired new blog commentaries:
- I'm so happy about that Daily Beast article. I saw it this morning and it made me smile. Take that Hollywood machine!
- They keep wiping his Wikipedia again. Just in time for Three Musketeers and The Immortals.
- Some former bf should come forward with pictures or something. Surely, there has to be a pic of him snogging some bloke.
- Maybe he is the reason that the studio tried to bury 3 Musketeers.
I wonder if Immortals will be buried as well.
- Doubt it. I've seen tons of Immortals ads. I think they buried Muskteers because they knew it sucked.
- He's talked!
""My personal life is my personal life,” he says, “and I am very happy living my life as I am. People speculate, but I am not entertaining any of that. I’m happy in my personal life, and that’s it."
- That is so stupid to me. Even that interview quoted him talking about being a gay man directly before the "it's my personal life" response.
You already have been quoted talking about being gay! Why do you refuse to say it now?
Kudos to the magazine for calling out his prior quote and not letting his closet act completely fly.
I really don't understand the logic behind the team around him. The cat is ALREADY out of the bag.
- r180 because it's BIG money time now (and big fame).
- This guy disgusts me and I'm never going to see any of his movies now. In this day and age, where teens kill themselves because they're gay and getting bullied, going through hell every day, he has the fucking nerve to go back into the closet?!?! fucking pathetic disgusting loser. I hope you're happy being the two faced bitch that you are, Luke! Have fun living as a sell out in Hollywood. Be proud of having sold your soul to the devil. Fucking prick.
- It really is offensive. "People speculate..." with such a patronizing connotation.
No one is speculating. People are confused about why a guy who gave an empowering interview about how he was proud to be gay thinks he can pretend that didn't happen.
It really is the most disgusting example of a PR team thinking they can get away with anything and an actor so spineless he agrees. You can't just make your past interviews go away just because you want to.
It's similar to the Colton Haynes situation but manages to be 100x worse.
- [quote] because it's BIG money time now (and big fame).
In 2002, Evans said: "Y'know, you start a slippery slope downward, and I didn't want to start that at 22. If that means I'm going to be a poor man at 60, then at least I've lived a happy, open, gay life and not had to hide it from anybody."
I guess he would now add, "...unless Hollywood begins offering me roles, in which case, fuck the 60-year-old poor man shit. Give me the fucking money and you bet I'll go back into the closet!"
- Isn't it r183???? People don't have to "speculate". You told the world asshole and more than once!!!!!
- Yeah r184. The only thing I can say in his defense is that I actually understand the huge money (and opportunities) temptation because faced with them, most of us here would choose them but, trying to actually beard, giving interviews where he actually insinuates he's straight and acting like the "coming out" never happened, is what's so outrageous. At the very least, they should have just left his wiki page alone and simply not reacted about his personal life at all!
- I hope whoever's rimming him tonight tells him like it is!
- I just re-read the article. What disappoints me so much is that speaks about being a role model for gay youth.
[quote] I've had letters from people who have read my articles and said, "I'm a guy, I'm 18, and I've not come out to my mom and dad yet, but it was so nice to hear your story, and you know, I wish your article would have been longer, because you gave me hope for the future." As far as I'm concerned it's not a big issue. You come out, that's it, the end.
How can he justify going back in the closet after a statement like that. He is proud of the fact that he has influenced gays to come out. But now he doesn't have the guts to live up to his own convictions.
Granted, he does not owe anybody anything. None of us do. But his conscience must be his guide - not some fool PR flack. He had a reason to be proud. He does not anymore. He has let the machine chew up his soul and spit out another robot.
And he wants to be an action “hero”?
- God, this pisses me off. That line about "people speculate"...bitch, please. You yourself said you're gay and like cock -- your words, buddy -- so there's no speculation.
- A friend of mine, who also happens to be friends with Mr. Evans, told me that Luke wishes he could be out, but he has been forced back in the closet by the studio executives who essentially gave him an ultimatum: it's the closet or bust
- [quote] he has been forced back in the closet by the studio executives
Nobody can force him back into the closet. One can be bribed and cajoled, but it is his choice. Tell him to have a conversation with Zachary Quinto.
Contrary to what he said in his callow youth, it is obvious that he now wants the fame and the big bucks. He thinks we are too thick to not remember what he said. I can't believe that he and his PR people still think they can convince us that he is not gay.
- [quote]A friend of mine, who also happens to be friends with Mr. Evans, told me that Luke wishes he could be out, but he has been forced back in the closet by the studio executives who essentially gave him an ultimatum: it's the closet or bust
You know what? FINE!!! But don't tell me he was "forced" into giving interviews talking about how he's a ladies man and into trying to beard with that friend of his. I can buy him agreeing not to talk about how he likes dick but not the rest.
His PR ppl must be 100 yrs old or complete tech morons not understanding it's the net age.
- Countdown to the interview where Luke Evans, having failed to convince either Hollywood or the public, states his anger at the now-fired PR team and the game "they" played behind his back.
- [quote]A friend of mine, who also happens to be friends with Mr. Evans, told me that Luke wishes he could be out, but he has been forced back in the closet by the studio executives who essentially gave him an ultimatum: it's the closet or bust
Did they put a gun to his head? No? Then they didn't force him. HE decided it. They might have been pushy, but it's still HIS DECISION. I am fuck and tired of people claiming Luke is some kind of victim in all of this. He clearly is not. He agreed to do it. He's a scumbag and a hypocrite. What he did was offensive to all the LGBTs out there. These past months we've seen gay kids as young as 14 and 15 years old killing themselves, because they are savagely bullied every day.. they are living their hell every day. Someone like Luke could really make a difference, making people see that you CAN be successful and out, and that it does get better, only he doesn't do that. He decides to be a coward and go back into the closet instead, all for some easy $$$$$ and publicity. He has some fucking nerve to do it, he basically disgusts me, and I will NEVER see any of his movies.
You, claiming to be a friend of Luke's friend, R190.. next time this issue comes up, why don't you ask Luke about the gay teen suicides and what he thinks about them. Ask him if going back into the closet is really the right message to send gay youth today. Please ask him.
- r190 was quoting the article he linked to, I don't think he was saying he's friends with Luke personally.
- The Three Musketeers was financed independently with European money. It's not really an studio picture which is probably why it has sank without trace.
Luke Evans has fucked himself. Gay, straight, in the closet? Fine. Hypocrite? Not good.
- This conversation will never change for him. And someone will out him. The story is all about his sexuality now - it can never be about anything else.
- He was never going to be a bankable action star, anyway. The best tactic would have been to forget the bearding bullshit and just say nothing at all. As soon as you start the denials or backtracks, you just bring more attention to it and make it worse.
- Why was he never going to be a bankable action star? I agree he wasn't likely to ever be A-list, but he's plausible in action scenes and could have been (maybe still can be) a well-regarded support player in action films. Are you saying that he was never going to be a bankable action star because he is gay? Because then that's exactly what the studio executives thought.
- He has character actor written all over him. Handsome character actor like Mark Strong or Jason Flemyng, for sure, but he'd never be a big name even without this nonsense.
- I'm saying he wasn't bankable because he's really not that great an actor. Maybe second-string character actor, but they don't bring the studio the big bucks, do they?
- I'm going to throw this idea out there just for the sake of debate:
Most of us think that the Luke Evans quoted in the Advocate in 2002 is the "real" Luke Evans -- an openly gay man comfortable being gay who wants to be a role model to gay youth. And the Luke Evans of today is the phony being pushed back into the closet by Hollywood execs and PR people.
But what if it's the other way around? A decade ago, Evans was starring in mostly gay-themed plays that targeted largely gay audiences and featured a lot of gay actors and directors. When the Advocate asked him for an interview, maybe he thought it would be a great opportunity to boost his standing with the gay community and further his career. Maybe his answers were calculated to project a certain image.
Maybe the "real" Luke Evans is the closeted, conflicted man who's ashamed of his sexuality and doesn't want to discuss it. Maybe the out and proud Luke Evans was mostly an act -- a "character" he played at a time when it seemed to help his career.
- Either way, R202, he is a liar. He is trying to manipulate the situation to line his pockets and he is scum for doing it. If he lied about being gay to gain a gay audience, then he is even more despicable than he is for trying to pass for straight.
- I don't buy that theory, R202. Most actors get into the biz wanting a career in film. ALL actors know that what you say one day might come back to bite you in the ass further down the road. And he didn't just make some off-hand or vague comment about 'experimenting', he ripped the door wide open. He didn't have to go to that degree to try to 'fit in' with the theater establishment, and it's nonsense to think anyone would go to that extreme to do so. He would have fit in just because of how he looked back then. And really, do you have to be gay to get into theater in the same way you have to be straight to get into 'leading man' films? Hardly think so.
- Yes R202, great theory. That must be why he said he loves big cocks.
The only thing he did previously was take his shirt off in Tamara Drewe so, yeah, I don't see a lot of potential as an actor.
- Luke Evans is really disgusting.
- Say some Evil Suit really did tell Evans "Go back in the closet, or go back to Britih indies." If it doesn't work and all the fanboys realize Evans is gay (I see it happening), then what?
IMHO it's very unlikely that the Evil Suit will realize that he was wrong, and that hiring openly gay actors is no big deal, because Evil Suits never admit they're wrong. It's much more likely that he'll only hire straiht actors from now on, thereby driving actors deeper into the closet.
Actors closet themselves because they work in a field with heavy, open job discrimination. I hope it'll change soon, but it hasn't changed yet.
- Fanboys fucking adore Ian McKellen, though. Although nobody's staring at Ian's abs and getting tingly downstairs and finding themselves confused like they might with Luke.
- Notice how the LA Time article is couched in terms of Luke's appeal to a) women (good-looking, sexy) and b) kids (family-friendly -- presumably, the audience that is going to see Immortals and [especially] The Hobbit). The implication is that Luke being openly gay prevents him from satisfying those demographics.
Well, Neil Patrick Harris proved the latter to be wrong the success of The Smurfs; as for the former, we all know there are a lot of women who find openly gay actors and singers sexy.
Finally, do his PR people really live in the 21st century? Don't they know that NOTHING disappears on the net? Those early interviews are going to dog him for the rest of his career unless he says something definitive now.
- [quote]This conversation will never change for him. And someone will out him. The story is all about his sexuality now - it can never be about anything else.
[quote]He was never going to be a bankable action star, anyway. The best tactic would have been to forget the bearding bullshit and just say nothing at all. As soon as you start the denials or backtracks, you just bring more attention to it and make it worse
ITA. I can't really fault him for wanting the money and opportunities but once you admitted to being gay and proud, you can't go back. Had they ignored the wiki page and just refused to talk about private matters (and that includes stupid "straight" interviews and attempted bearding), most of the shitstorm about his homosexuality wouldn't have happened. As it is, they just drew attention to it.
Don't make excuses for him.
He's just a coward and a liar.
- [quote]Notice how the LA Time article is couched in terms of Luke's appeal to a) women (good-looking, sexy) and b) kids (family-friendly -- presumably, the audience that is going to see Immortals and [especially] The Hobbit). The implication is that Luke being openly gay prevents him from satisfying those demographics.
Yes because everyone in the industry basically KNOWS who's gay and who isn't. They just don't want that knowing to filter down to stupid fans and supermarket isle fraus who buy and believe the magazine fauxmance nonsense. Not until films are out of the way and contracts are fulfilled. Then it starts again and the lies continue.
- Whoa! I just realized that my link at r190 was written by James Duke Mason, the out activist son of Belinda Carlisle and grandson of James Mason.
- R 213
Who cares? He's an idiot.
- R214. I care, because James Mason is presumably a reliable reporter when he says that Luke wishes he could be out but was told to closet or he wouldn't get those roles. Not that it excuses him.
- R 215
He's just trying to make excuses for LE.
- So I guess The Three Musketeers was a total BOMB.
- R217 LOL
The "Immortals" is another flop but unfortunately, "the Hobbit" won't.
I can't stand this coward.
- R218 I can't stand him or Henrietta Cavill.
- [quote]I can't stand this coward
I am now on top of the cast list on The Hobbit IMDB board, big thanks to you and Datalounge.
But you're still a coward and a liar.
- r208 Ian McKellen is not a sex symbol but a character actor.
I think the fact that he's also old shields him. [bold]Old age cancels the gay[/bold] (or straight for that matter) because ppl are perceived as asexual beyond a certain age.
- Now that Three Musketeers is tanking on DVD, is Luke still formerly out? Any updates? Enquiring minds want to care. Really, we do.
- Is he even still around? I thought he retired.
- Retired? He's making "The Hobbit" (second part), which is going to get him a lot of fangirl attention.
I wonder how he'll handle that, because believe me the slashers among them WILL catch onto the retroactive closeting.
- He also has a major role in "The Raven," co-starring John Cusack and set to be released April 27.
- Can we all say, "Coward and a liar" together one more time now? There ya go. Easy enough for a bunch of out-and-proud, everybody-already-knew-since-you-were-eight dead-end-job queens to screech. Endlessly. This poor young guy is weighing a career worth many millions, or oblivion.
- R227 - who shit in your fairy dust?
- [quote]Can we all say, "Coward and a liar" together one more time now? There ya go. Easy enough for a bunch of out-and-proud, everybody-already-knew-since-you-were-eight dead-end-job queens to screech. Endlessly. This poor young guy is weighing a career worth many millions, or oblivion.
You missed the point you fucking idiot. The point is that Luke once said he'd rather be flat-broke and stick with small parts than to live a lie just to earn millions and now he's doing just that. He's a fucking pathetic phoney and I will never see any of this pussy's movies.
- r227, r229 is right. The point is that he's not just a coward, but a hypocrite into the bargain. It's so dispicable.
- [R225] I'm sure he'll give the "I don't talk about my private life" line. That's what he did in this interview.
- He's definitely a coward and a liar.
- R231 What a pussy he is now. Some people would sell their soul for a dollar.
- It really is just silly. He is gay, he is on record talking about being gay which every article about him can and has been quoting.
What is the point in now declining to talk about it? What does it accomplish?
- His wiki page now says that he was openly gay in his early career, but is now linked to a female PR executive.
- Is he not allowed to change his mind, R229? If I had a shot at a career worth millions, I'd be tempted. And I'm sure you would be too.
- Gee this man Nutter of first degree! all the in the Closet out of the Closet thing is annoyin and lame. I always thought British were very open about being gay, i guess hez talking to wrong people!!
- It's one thing to change your mind, r236. It's another to look ridiculously pathetic, not to mention insulting our intelligence, while doing it.
- R225, yes, LOTR fans are obsessive and like slash--there is no way in hell they will miss the retroactive closeting.
R234, I think it's just silly too. He's on record as saying he's gay multiple times. There have been some dumb, half-assed attempts to backtrack or downplay that. I don't take this seriously enough to say "a coward and a liar." It's just ridiculous.
- R239 = part of the problem
- R 238
I totally agree with you
- I don't understand why "Immortals" got bad reviews, Luke Evans was wonderful in this movie. And, Luke has become my latest crush, he reminds me of an older Orlando Bloom.
- Does this whole thing of going back in to Closet works in Hollywood, may be NPH and Luke Macfarlane try it for jokes
- Please stop the hate, it's fucking ridiculous!
- Luke hasn't meet the right guy to come out with, which is probably me!
- check it out...
- Um, no, r246. The guy has 3 thumbs. Gross.
- Who cares about this fame-hungry pig who has sold his soul to the devil? Besides, he's only 33 and looks 43.
- You people are lame, with no understanding of context. All this is over a Wikipedia entry that ANYONE can edit. HE came out of the closet. That's that. Does as actor need to come out 3 or 4 times before people stop accusing him of hiding?
- Talking of "understanding of context", r249, please read the rest of the thread before boring anyone with your... question.
- So, has anything happened to his career with all these hits he was in?
He's filming The Hobbit, which is certain to be a hit.
- He's apparently going to be in the next The Fast and the Furious film.
- Really, r253? That's such a...step up from working with Peter Jackson on The Hobbit. I see this closeting is working out well for him.
- The last Fast and Furious was a huge hit, I am sure he is ecstatic his agent got that role for him.
- Oh, sweetie, I'm talking about quality of art, not quantity of money. He really has, it seems, sold his soul.
- Judging by early scenes from The Hobbit, I don't think I'd call that art either.
- Luke camming it up with a partial strip
- Google Translation:
An alleged 'sgooop' that I could not return.
Via a reader email me revealing this fact:
"I have a gem of Luke Evans, in the sense that one evening I found a website of sexy cam (cam4) chatted completely drunk and wanted to undress. To remember him I took some pictures, now with the adjacent strip. Unfortunately I have not really captured the moment when he wrote of being Luke Evans, but to say that there's no getting away from the images. "
- 1 in the image: he is in the foreground that looks like "FAMOUS BOY
- Picture 2: In a lucid moment, just after asking if the audience was pleased to see such a famous, is concerned about the fact that if you put naked on cam could end his career (as many people were standing noting in chat)
- 3 in the image: it pulls down his pants, worrying that everyone knows who they are ennesimamente to see naked.
Then, unfortunately, has left the chat, not arriving until the end. "
After the jump, of course, you will find THREE offending images, with adjoining Hamlet-like question, namely: it is he or is not he? And above all, can a Hollywood star to put mbriaco chatting in a chat porn?!?
- Damn Luke Evans that was stupid lol. You are too famous to be doing naked shows for cam4. That pic of him in the snug undies is hot. Wish he had kept stripping.
- Luke Evans is a fucking mess.
- Luke's Cam4 profile; he's been a member since August 2011 and lists himself as "bicurious" (ha!):
- This site posted about it and has already gotten an anonymous threat to take the pictures down:
- I'm not so sure "stupidactor" is Luke Evans. I think he has webcam vids of Luke Evans and he likes to play them for people.
- The reason I say that is that he also has vids of one of the History Boys
- Jesus fucking Christ! Not Samuel??
I thought Russell Tovey or James Corden would be the first guess.
- r267, which History Boy? Please say it's Russell Tovey....
I fucking wish!? Though considering Tovey's self-twitpicing, I wouldn't be surprised if he likes to cam.
- Maybe he is bisexual. I know 2 different guys who having been openly and exclusively gay for years, dated (and in one case married) women. Neither of them denies their past relationships. Its just that they fell for people who happened to be female. Happens.
Yes: Stephen Daldry and Tom Robinson. Not the case with Luke Evans.
- r272, even if that were the case, there's still the key difference that Evans is avoiding any discussion of having been openly gay in the past, unlike, say, Robinson and Daldry, who do speak about it.
- I think some of the Data Lounge boys need to invite Luke out for a drink get him drunk take him back to a hotel room and then take turns trying to bring him back to the light by seriously fucking the shit out of him!
That will show him good!
You don't have to worry about that.
- I've had a major crush on Luke Evans, since the first time I saw him in Immortals. He's the most goodlooking british man that I've seen in a long time!
- Luke Evans is featured in Entertainment Weekly's cover story about the new coming out in Hollywood. It mentions how years ago he spoke openly to The Advocate about being out, but then the effort in 2011 to take it all back.
- 2 hotties!
- I don't know how he/they managed to be even this successful at stuffing him back into the closet.
His behavior is pretty scandalous, from where I'm sitting. It's also brazen and craven. He's got a lot of heart (trying something like this) and a weak spine.
But...when he came out, and made his comments about no amount of money, etc., he was younger, maybe even idealistic. He may even have meant it, or he may not have, for all we know. It's obvious NOW that he doesn't have as much integrity as he claimed he did. And it is obvious. He sold out. He took the money and crawled back into the closet and seems, to me at least, to be pretty satisfied with the position that decision put him in.
But, maybe we have to read between the lines of his earlier statements. An uninformed kid made them. He hadn't been offered millions. He hadn't been given a shot. Maybe he thought he never would be. I have to believe, from his current actions, that he would have stayed in the closet, from the beginning, if he knew he could have the kind of career he has now, and the kind of career he think he could have, in the future. We wouldn't be having this conversation.
Luke Evans thought he had integrity and he was proven wrong. He thought he was out and proud. He proved himself wrong. He may actually be kicking himself for coming out. He may be wishing he was still in the closet, free to pursue the career of his dreams. Money, among other things, shows you who you really are.
He's a greedy, materialistic, brazen, craven sellout. He's weak and pathetic. He craves real success on a Hollywood scale. He sold us out, and himself, too.
But, I think a lot of people are being harsh. Luke Evans did come out. He did disclose and proclaim, and he was pretty proud of himself, at the time. He was a good guy. He really had no idea what he would do if Hollywood came knocking with a bag of money. He thought he was better than that.
Luke Evans is to blame for not being strong enough, man enough, or good enough to be true to himself. And he's responsible for coming out and putting himself on a moral pedestal. But, his heart was in the right place. He thought he was that guy and he really wanted to be. He tried and failed, ultimately. He'll never escape it. And he'll never be a man.
I know I would have done the same thing. If I thought i had a chance to earn millions and never have to be poor again, I would jump on it, without hesitation. It's easy for us to say we wouldn't--it was easy for him, too--because we haven't had the opportunity.
I think the whole attempt is despicable really, and cynical. And I am in the camp that hopes the whole thing ends in tears and failure. But, I do understand why he did it. And I don't hate him for it.
- R280 scares me. Bumping a six-month-dead thread to post a diatribe!
- Yes, let me add he contradicted himself at it as well, much like he criticized Luke Evans for doing.
He pretty much said.
I don't hate him. I understand him, but I despise him.
Just give it up. You gave a good argument in parts in that Luke was young, naive, and optimistic when he came out, but life plays a cruel trick.
I can't hate him for trying to carve out a life for himself in Hollywood. Acting is a tough gig to crack.
Of course, I'm a straight black female, but I know some people feel this sucks that he chose this option. However, I hate to see black actors try to deny they're black. But in the long and short of it, they get more parts for passing.
I don't have to accept it, but I understand it for what it is.
Luke was offered more money than he's seen in life, multiple times, so unless someone is going to opt to pay his bill they need to shut up about it.
- I don't know where to post this, so in related closet news, everyone should look out for next weeks episode of Graham Norton.
He's going to have closeted actors Tom Cruise and Hugh Jackman as two of the 3 guests on the big red sofa. I am predicting a fascinatingly uncomfortable time had all around. I can't wait to see how they all interact.
Especially since Graham himself is openly gay.
- [quote]Luke was offered more money than he's seen in life, multiple times, so unless someone is going to opt to pay his bill they need to shut up about it.
Fuck you, you homophobic cunt.
- Seems like his career is over now anyway. It's not like The Hobbit is going to make him a star.
- He was getting roles as an openly gay actor. he was incredibly stupid to try to 'closet up'. The equivalent of Cruise couch-jumping.
- R287 I somehow think it's not about the closet or out thing, but because he's just another Orlando Bloom, "hot" but boring, only Bloom is more lovable.
- [quote] He was getting roles as an openly gay actor. he was incredibly stupid to try to 'closet up'. The equivalent of Cruise couch-jumping.
His career was pretty shitty up until his work at the Donmar. Yes, there was high-profile stuff like Taboo, but stardom hardly seemed likely with trash like Hardcore, understudy/replacement gigs like Avenue Q, and tours of Miss Saigon.
It's understandable why he'd decided to go quiet about his sexuality. The PR "love" story was ridiculous. But he hasn't gone full force back into the closet, e.g. his continuing CAM4ing, recently sittting for that artist who painted gay actors (Ian McKellen, Steven Webb) in modern day spins on classic paintings, working on music with Boy George etc.
- His Wikipedia page has his former coming out in the personal life section for a little while now and it hasn't been taken down...maybe they're finally easing up =p.
- You're full of shit. He was working after Taboo, that's the show he came out during. Going on a sex webcam site to get laid is hardly 'still being out'. Moronic observations as justification. Trying to closet up did nothing for his career.
His stage career wasn't half as prolific as his film career has already been. I don't like the whole 'ining' business, but it seems to have aide his career. Of course, it's unpopular to say that...
And going on Cam4 with his growing profile... well, consciously or not, he wants to get caught.
- He's aging horribly. Looks way older than 33. Can you imagine how he'll look in 10 years if he looks this bad now?
- Yes, poor Luke had to loose too much weight and lost his looks. Hope, he picks up a burger and regains the thirty pounds or calls Deidre Hall's doctor. I so hope he chooses the former.
R285, stop hating.
It's Luke's choice to do whatever he wants, whether it offends your or not, you cunt hater caller.
In regards to Luke's career, he's got some big career news to drop, so it doesn't appear as if he is letting any grass grow underneath his feet.
In regards to some Cam video, I didn't see it, but posters on the thread said it wasn't him. The guy had a southern accent and a tat; Luke doesn't have a tat or a southern accent. So, it doesn't appear as if Luke is trying to drop hints by going on some website like that.
Moreover, if and when he comes out that will be his choice, but I do not know why some have their panties in a bunch about it or have to call people, who understand Luke's dilemma names.
Heck, I got bills to pay. I can't go around saying what I do in bed and expect to keep my job, and I'm straight.
Plus, it's not as if every gay actor will help your cause, especially one who is unwilling or unable to do so at the time.
Just see things for what they are and not what you want them to be.
- [quote] In regards to some Cam video, I didn't see it, but posters on the thread said it wasn't him. The guy had a southern accent and a tat; Luke doesn't have a tat or a southern accent. So, it doesn't appear as if Luke is trying to drop hints by going on some website like that.
He does have a cam4 habit, and it goes back at least as far as his Avenue Q time.
- [quote]He does have a cam4 habit, and it goes back at least as far as his Avenue Q time.j[/quote]
What, and you do know this how?
There are plenty of people who lurk on different sites on the internet, but how, unless you hack their computers know what their internet habits are?
Okay, enough of my ranting, what is Avenue Q, a play of his?
- Did this guy's career went anywhere since his ¨closeting¨ up???
- Sure did.
He's getting a lot of buzz for being a kick ass villain in Fast & Furious 6.
He got a starring role in the next two Hobbit films.
He's the face of Diesel and Police.
And, he's done voice over work for Whiskas.
Plus, he has an indie flick coming out this year, called No One Lives, in which he plays a psychopath.
- R298 Not a fan, but happy for him. He's far better than Henry Cavill and Orlando Bloom.
- Has this guy ever talked about dating this PR chick? I don't think so. They posed for some photos together and there's someone who claims she said they were dating.
He has a bigger career than any gay actor working today and I don't blame him for taking the girl to some premieres. She works in PR I mean come on. If he were really into the bearding, he'd be bearded up and married to an actress.
Quinto hasn't gotten one job since he came out while ALL of his Star Trek costars have gotten multiple film roles. That says something about Hollywood.
- He was great in Fast and Furious 6
- I'm thinking Luke Evans owns this bitch. His name is in at least four threads, and yeah, he was oozing sexy in F6.
- He looks like a meth addict.
Have you seen him lately? He's gaining weight for a new role, and he looks good.
- First time I noticed him in F&F 6 thought he looked old. They should have gave The Crow to Hiddleston...
- That was during his lean years. Now, he's back to hot.
According to sources, the role of the Crow was always first choice for Luke. They only considered other actors due to Luke's schedule being too busy.
So, it doesn't appear as if Tom really had a chance.
- Don't feed the fangina. She's blind to the issue: Luke Evans is a hypocrite.
In R294 she says "it's not as if every gay actor will help your cause".
Newsflash: there's no gay "cause" other than the fact that due to the real haters in society, young gay and lesbian people grow up being bullied, assaulted, feeling lonely, depressed and isolated. And when people in the public eye come out, they can be little points of light, giving those kids having a bad time evidence that things can get better.
Denying your gayness, going back into the closet, just makes it look like being gay is shameful, not something to be ok with. And that hurts the kids. That's the hate: not criticising Luke Evans for back-tracking.
- What happened to that basic looking publicist girl who was bearding for him? Did she slide back into the shadows?
- R306, hamburgers does a body good. On that link, he looks a lot younger or at least his age.
Yep, you're right. She's trolling all the threads about closeted cases.
R309, didn't see her at any premiere, but a while back she attended a dinner/awards with him.
They just looked like good friends. He was scene with some pretty chick name Ana, they went to a play and something else.
Here's a link of the Anna chick. Luke looks like sh*!te, but this was back in January. I can see from the other links he looks as if he bounced back.
- That is not his PR beard, that's an actress Anna friel.
- I'm not sure about "The Crow"-remake! I think that is a high risk, I'm glad that Tom is not doing this but I also like Luke, so, well, all the best! He is still not really a leading man, his career is still on the way. Looking after the Hobbit, I guess that is his best career-step he ever did!
With the gay-case. Everybody with brain is unterstanding that he is gay, well, not all, of course the fangirls falling in love will have a problem, but the rest pretty much. Just take a look on Wikipedia! Sure there are both versions but come on, it's pretty obviously!
- I'd do him
- No, that's not a good pic of Luke Evans. He needed to slow down and befriend carbs.
Now, he has embraced eating, and it has paid off for his face.
- For me, he's still ugly.
- He's very ugly and disgusting.
- I don't think he is ugly, he lost maybe to much weight and he loves to be in the sun, which is not good for the skin. Longer hair suits him also better.
He is maybe to much into the fitness-thing.
- He's ugly inside and out.
- R322 I agree
- More ugly inside than out.
- Blame Hollywood not Luke. It's not his fault filmmakers don't want open gays in their movies. It cheapens the productions and prestige for them. Even gay filmmakers.
- Just another British closet case who sold his soul for fame and fortune.
I also agree with R322 and R323.
- I could careless whether he's in or out to be honest. Most gays people probably feel the same way. Unfortunately these threads get overrun by gay extremists with their vile and bitter attacks on people whose private life is none of their business. The evolution of celebrities so-called outing themselves will happen over time to the point where it's no big deal. Throwing it in peoples faces here and now like the extremists seem to demand won't achieve anything.
- R327 is the usual idiotic frau.
- Leave him alone. It's his decision. Respectful or not... wrong or right...it's his life. Let him choose how to portray himself.
Let's just praise and support those that are out!!
- There isn't anything idiotic about that post, r328
- R330 I agree. The real idiotic lunatic in this forum is the one who keeps calling other forumers "frau" whenever he feels stupid or defeated.
I'm wondering how empty this person's life must be, I know this is gay gossip site but this person is a very special case it makes me laugh. Just deranged.
- And here come the fangurls from IMDB...
Sorry, but when you're famous and put yourself in the public eye, the rules change. That's just the way it goes.
- The REAL RULE is you can't threaten him concerning his life, aside from being in the closet he's not a monster, he's a normal person like you too, as you too are a coward, a liar and a waste of breath. You contributed nothing to the world but trashing on the internet every fucking day. Outside the DL and IMDB, the rest of the world don't give shit what you think of these actors you've attack, Richard Armitage, Lee Pace and your current target Henry Cavill. Go back to your favorite actor's threads and IMDB and fucking stay there.
- HE'S A PUSSYHOUND!!!!!!!
- Matt Bomber is proudly out but the lame beauty not that talented, Luke Evans is talented.
- The funniest thing about it - he was already out. He was already out and then he was not and HA HA HA no one says anything about it. People are so funny - they could at least ask him which hot bitch was juicy enough to lure him to make the switch.
- R336 Gurl please, changing your IP again? What a swift coward.
- What [italic]are[/italic] you babbling about, r337?
- [quote]Luke Evans is talented.
Talented at what? Looking old and ugly?
- His "old and ugly" look has more character, gives him the wise and badass look, and it does good for his acting career than the overrated young and beautiful but blank like a dumb-lookin ken doll.
- [quote]I could careles
Double oh, dear. R327
- Hipster Evans Bump
- R342 Why are you bumping to post a year old picture?
- To remind us that Evans is an ugly coward.
- That pic is him with Henry Cavill, right? The closet case of the moment. I wonder if they're still in touch.
- Nice apartment. I can picture him bringing guys back there. Kate Moss prints on the wall? Can he get any gayer?
- Is he "ill"? Here's a pic of him from earlier this year. He seems to go back and forth from looking regular to looking sickly.
- I think he's hot. But that German interview is the new, affected Luke. I like the old Luke:
- R348 THAT'S the interview that I had been looking for! I had seen it once and then couldn't find it. If anyone ever had any doubt he was gay, all they have to do is watch that video!
Ah, the days before the closeting began.
- One of his latest tweets was a Link to a open letter from Stephen Fry about the problems with Russia and their anti-gay-politic and the upcoming Olympics!
A little reference that he is not to closed!
- Who in the hell is buying him as straight when he was already out? You can't do that shit when the internet exists.
I mean with Henry Cavill, he's never actually said he was gay. It's always been speculation and "friendly" pictures with gay men, but nothing concrete like with Evans who only looks more foolish by trying to get back into the closet.
- Luke loves the vagine, bitches!
- Please. Even the real Cheryl ain't fooled by this queen.
- Why on earth would you think THIS guy is gay? He seems straight as can be!
- As foolish as he looks, it is working for him career-wise.
Compare his career to Cheyenne Jackson's.
- R355 = Self-loathing gay or stupid cunt frau
- Tell Matt "wrinkle-free" Bomer to have some wise lines on his face so he could have Luke Evans's career.
Don't listen to these 13 year-old fangirls and babygays that worship plastic dolls and plucked chickens.
- Who is Evan's pr?
- WKT, R358.
- Are the fangirls on this thread for real? He said he likes big cocks. He's gay. Why are we even discussing this?
- I haven't read through this thread. Are you telling me there are some trying to claim he's straight???
- I'm glad this thread is active again. Going back in the closet hasn't really worked out for him, has it?
- Not really. He's still not a big enough name for people to care very much about his sexuality. If he keeps climbing up the ranks, it's going to come out again.
- closeted queen
- R363 That's what I don't understand. Almost nobody knows who he is, so it's pointless and even if he did become more successful, that interview is going to come up again. So either way, this closeting is pointless and stupid.
Also, he's ugly.
- Top or bottom?
- I actually think top, but that's just a guess.
- Dudes who are into big cocks are usually bottoms, yes?
- Evans is versatile.
To answer the question, though: some gays just like to suck a big dick.
- There are dudes NOT into big cocks?
- I would assume that like 99% of all gay men, Luke is versatile.
- I can't imagine nothing happened on the set of Immortals with all of those men, not just the main actors.
- I'm not into big dicks. I wouldn't turn a guy down because of it, but I prefer average to small.
- [quote]Dudes who are into big cocks are usually bottoms, yes?
That's what I was thinking. Most tops don't care about big cocks, but bottoms usually do!
- [quote]I would assume that like 99% of all gay men, Luke is versatile.
Wishful thinking. A lot of guys refuse to bottom and a lot of guys refuse to top.
- God's cruel joke is a big-dicked bottom and small-dicked top.
- What kind of guy refuses to top?
- Well, dick don't lie. If you're not into it...
- r375: trust me, I've been with thousands of men (yes, I'm a whore, darlin') and I can count on one hand the guys who restricted themselves to only one position.
- To give him his due he never denied he is gay...his management just said he "prefers not to discuss his private life". It's obvious he's shutting up about it for his career/money and that's his choice but it carries its own punishments. He doesn't look happy at all and how can you be when you are not living authentically and honestly? He looked so happy in that Taboo youtube video... like he was having the time of his life doing musical theater and hanging around other gay guys. In recent interviews he is very, very affected/careful about what he is saying and how he is saying it. In the video below he also looks pretty smashed. I think his looks and health suffer because he drinks to cope. But that's the way it goes when you choose the closet. Personally, I hope he establishes his career and makes a lot of money for himself but then comes out so he can be happier. Life is short. On a side note I also think he is versatile. I would give my right nut to see him and Cavill together.
- Never denied it? What about Holly Goodhead or whatever that cunt's name is?
- [quote]Top or bottom?
If this video as anything to go by, I'm going to take a wild guess and say bottom.
- He's such a fucking twat for trying to pull this shit knowing full-well people know he's gay. What in the hell is wrong with him? He's not 20 years old trying to appeal to teenaged girl. He's a grown man. Who's he hiding for?
- R383 He'll never have a big career, and he sure has hell doesn't have the looks to be a leading man, so I have no idea. He's a fucking joke and the few people that do know who he is just laugh at his pathetic ass.
- What he's doing is unprecedentedly douche-y, but he's working a lot. And in pretty big movies. His career is not suffering. In addition to The Hobbit movies, he's playing Dracula and he's going to play The Crow -- two big roles that will keep him busy well into 2014. Hollywood is not laughing at him. But then Hollywood is amazingly homophobic.
- R385 = Sad delusional fangurl
- Go jump in a lake r386
- r387 is not r385.
- R375, only self-hating homophobes have such limits
- R389 is far too invested in the sex lives of strangers.
- To be honest, it baffles me that Hollywood has cast him as Dracula and The Crow, considering all the bombs he's appeared in, and the only hit he's had was a supporting role as the villain (Fast & Furious 6).
- I agree, R385. He's a coward, don't get me wrong.. but what he's doing is obviously smart, since he keeps getting roles and is steadily working. Hollywood is homophobic. I doubt he would have gotten many offers if he was openly gay. Openly gay actors struggle for a reason. From a strict business point of view there's no doubt that the smart thing to do is stay closeted. But if it's the right thing to do.. that's debatable. I don't like it, but it's ultimately his choice. I hope he can come out (again) when he's made some money and is comfortable enough with himself to be honest.
- He's a sterling example of how you can do almost ANYTHING in Hollywood because the general public is so ignorant and the press so colluding.
- You may be onto something with the drinking... It would explain the cam4 forays long after his mover career started.
- Don't tell me who I am r388
- OUT THE BITCH!!!
- [quote]He's a sterling example of how you can do almost ANYTHING in Hollywood because the general public is so ignorant and the press so colluding.
This is why you're not supposed to believe the bullshit the media tells you about other countries being a "threat" and having WMDs.
When you've got the media willing to lie for some actor who's barely on the radar, assume the media is lying to you about things that actually matter.
- Erm, that Dracula movie isn't exactly being directed by Francis Ford Coppola - it has shoestring budget written all over it. Luke Evans? Samantha Barks (not the 1st choice)? Dominic Cooper? Sounds like a 3-for-1 at a desperate bargain basement agency.
The Crow? Well, no offence intended to the late Brandon Lee, but the only way to generate interest in that will be to shoot Evans dead during production. Otherwise, who cares?
He has had a very undistinguished career as cheap screen filler in big budget actioners. In a few years time he'll be back in Blighty doing Dancing On Ice being introduced as "Hollywood star..." and he'll be voted off in Week 2 because nobody knows who he is. From there it will be back to panto.
- He took risks with his choices in the last time, he seems to take what sounds good and big. He should care about making him a name as a serious actor. That's the only way he can survive! Action stars come along all the time. But with that you cannot survive.
He seems a litte bit naive to me. Like a kid playing Hollywood-Star! He is not a bad actor but to naive!
- I think he's pursued relationships with men and then decided that he was straight and sees no reason to discuss what he used to do, sexually. What's the problem?
- It's not naive to build his name with the action/adventure franchise stuff. Look at Daniel Radcliffe - the audiences that made How To Succeed In Business a success were Harry Potter fans
And your conclusion is based on what?
- He did musical theater for 10 years and then had the chance to make more money, work with big stars, make Hollywood movies and he grabbed it. The price is that he had to shut up about his sexuality. What difference is it to a man who works day and night but loses out seeing his kids when they are small? There's a price to everything. He's an only child and I doubt he would be able to take care of his parents doing musical theater. I understand what he's doing. Coming Out might make him loved by gay strangers but it won't pay his bills.
- He came out, and then his feelings about women grew and replaced the feelings he'd HAD (past tense!) about men--if those were ever real, anyway. He was very young when he was saying he was gay.
- 404 are you trying to wind people up? he came out to his parents when he was very young. They are Jehovah's Witnesses and he said they told him "Our God will understand that we can't turn our back on our boy". But you say it wasn't real or was just a phase and now he magically replaces his gayness with feelings for women? P*ss off!
- You're a dirty little troll r400/r404. Fuck off.
Give it a rest, Trollerina.
[quote] Coming Out might make him loved by gay strangers
I imagine you're not including DL in that statement. If he cleared up the sexuality issue, he'd either stop being discussed at all or discussion would turn to his "haggard" appearance.
- R400/404 = Henry C.
- I love that you're labeling me as a troll because I'm saying something that you don't like. I love even more that you claim that sexuality can be fluid in one direction (straight to gay) but not in the other. Ridiculous. Can't wait to post the Luke Evans (straight) wedding photos here.
- 409 "Can't wait to post the Luke Evans (straight) wedding photos here."
I hope Henry C looks good in a dress.
- Yes, I'm sure it's about "fluidity" rather than job opportunity.
What a coincidence that this "fluidity" comes around the time he wants a career in Hollywood.
- That's not a rebuttal of what I wrote, R411.
- Henry's too hirsute for the dress. Luke's wearing it.
- Who said sexuality can only be fluid in one direction? You're just making things up troll. He didn't say he was bi, he was a proud gay man who said that being gay hasn't or shouldn't affect his career. The only thing he changed his mind about was his desire to be a person with dignity. You're full of shit, now go away. I should see if you're the same person who's claiming that Queen Haynes is also a straight man who "outgrew" his gayness.
- R412? We're not talking about some confused teenager here. We're talking about a grown man. If we were talking about a 14 year old who is unsure about his/her sexuality, I'd cut you some slack. He's over 30 and you're sounding quite ridiculous.
- Oh god, another crazy fangirl here. And gay men can do a therapy and than they can be straight ...
The Internet is a large place, go somewhere else and let gay men discuss here.
Btw. even a marriage to a woman is no proof to be straight!
- I don't believe in therapy to "treat" gayness, R416. That's offensive. I do believe that people can change, at any age. Lots of previously straight men came out in their 30s.
- But coming out as gay is difficult, R417. Not the case for the other way around.
Was he afraid he'd be ostracized for coming out as straight in his 30s? You're grasping at straws here.
- r417 If that's the case, then they were never straight. There's no such thing as "previously straight". Dimwit.
- R419, that's simply ridiculous. People change. Some men who come out later were always gay; some were straight and then became gay, or more likely, bisexual. It's likely that Luke is bisexual at this point, if not 100% straight.
- Being in denial and then accepting who you are isn't the same thing as changing.
- "Became" gay? Enough already. You're a boring troll.
- [quote] It's likely that Luke is bisexual at this point, if not 100% straight.
Likely because? You're not backing up any of your claims.
The attempt at bearding was abandoned almost as soon as it began.
- Who was his beard?
- No one famous. A PR girl.
- You're all being reductive. The only change that counts as change is the one where someone accepts being gay? I'm proud of Luke. All of these attempts at imposing orthodoxy on sexual expression will look laughable.
- [quote]All of these attempts at imposing orthodoxy on sexual expression will look laughable.
More like repression.
- Is this the same troll from the Colton Haynes thread? About how they were only gay in the past? Yes, young men are always encouraged to think they are gay and then have to accept they are straight later on because we live in such a homo-normative society.
Oh wait no, there is a reason that only really happens one way. Of course you know that troll. So why bother engaging you.
- Seems like the Luke Is Straight Troll has found himself a new Luke.
- Looks like a bottom to me ;)
- Anybody who had him?
- Hope you're ready to eat your words, fellas. Luke was spotted all over a hot blonde (woman) this past week.
- [quote]Hope you're ready to eat your words, fellas. Luke was spotted all over a hot blonde (woman) this past week.
Was he carrying measuring tape and wearing a pin cushion on his wrist at the time?
- Yawn. What a tiresome troll. As if you never see gay men and female friends hanging out and being affectionate together, but of course you know that.
No, but I've seen him... performing.
- Was this a private or public performance, R435?
In a way, both. He was alone.
- Yawn. Your worldview is so constricted.
- [R435] Performing? Alone? You can express yourself more clearly?
- Oh, someone saw him masturbate?? He MUST be gay.
- Did Luke Evans's publicist find this thread?
- When take this performance taking place?
-  Luke tweeted this pic today of his dressing table. Unless he was doing this girl's hair and nails I don't believe you.
- It's amusing that gay men who would probably scream homophobia and decry stereotyping turn around and apply the same stereotypes in an attempt to make their point. Case in point, R443's picture. Wow, an actor who has makeup on his dressing table! What a homo!
This is getting embarrassing, guys.
- No, what's embarrassing 443 is an out gay man going back into he closet for money and then his publicist trying to to erase things on the web and plant stories of him being so straight and out seen all over some blonde girl. THAT'S embarrassing.
- [R444] And you really think you have a chance if he is straight?
You cannot deal with the possibility that he maybe is gay and you fear that somebody can proof that! If you really like him than you would take him like he is and that can be gay man!
Writing all the time on a gay board and wondering that guys here writing about gay actors is very embarrassing!
Enough with you Troll! How boring!
- r446, my argument throughout this thread has been that he WAS gay but is now bisexual or straight. So, your post makes no sense. And you sure are getting upset. This rigidity is fascinating.
- Kill the "straight" troll!
- WHY do you engage with the troll? You know the rule: ignore the troll and it will eventually go away.
Anyway.. anything new with Luke?
- I saw him on Rentboy, whoring himself for money
- [quote]The Advocate: How did you decide you were going to be open about your sexuality?
[quote]Luke Evans: Well it was something I'd spoken to a lot of people about, including my boyfriend at the time - we've broken up now - but at the time when I just got Taboo, I knew that even though my part was a straight character, everybody knew me as a gay man and, in my life in London, I never tried to hide it. I knew I was going to have to do interviews with gay magazines, so I thought, ‘Well, I’m going to have to be open’. It’s who I am. And if people don’t like it, then I don’t want their jobs. I've never been a very good liar, which is another thing...
[quote]The Advocate: Aren't actors all good liars?
[quote]Luke Evans: Well, it's not nice. Look at George Michael, let's say. I mean, he hid it for so many years, and then he gets found out in a really awful way... Y'know, you start a slippery slope downward, and I don't want to start that at 22. If that means I'm going to be a poor man at 60, then at least I've lived a happy, open, gay life and not had to hide from anybody.
[quote]The Advocate: Do you think it might be different in the UK than in America?
[quote]Luke Evans: Well, it depends on how big you are. It's not a big issue, and it's never going to be a big issue for me; whether I'm successful or if I weren't successful, at least I'll never have that skeleton in the closet they can rattle out. Y'know what I mean?
You're a coward, Luke.
- Does he have a girlfriend?
- R409, look familiar?
[quote]I agree with the post that said that he could of[sic]f realized that he is a bisexual and not exclusively gay. I think sexuality is fluid and changes through out a persons[sic] life. Hey look at the Kinsey scale. It seems society has a hard time excepting[sic] a man as a bisexual and not a woman, it's a double standard.
- (R150] Is it that what you meant with "I saw him perform?"
I have highly doubts, I don't believe you, it would be perfect for the press!
- And you're a coward R451 for posting anonymously on a board and harassing an actor base on his comments in the past. If you're gay, you're probably in the closet to EVERYONE in your life, and you come here to project your self-hate upon a damn actor. Get a fucking life!
- major gayface
- [quote] I have highly doubts
Thank you for that. It gave me a giggle.
- [quote]And you're a coward [R451] for posting anonymously on a board and harassing an actor base on his comments in the past. If you're gay, you're probably in the closet to EVERYONE in your life, and you come here to project your self-hate upon a damn actor. Get a fucking life!
- [R455]- you are also posting anonymously so aren't you also a coward? Who is harassing an actor? How is sharing your opinions with other gay men about an actor who has publicly come out harassing him? If Miss Evans comes on here he gets what he deserves. A lot of gay men are annoyed with him for being out and proud then reinforcing the notion that being gay is a shameful thing and has to be hidden. We have a right to discuss this. You are the one harassing us because you have the fantasy that Miss Evans woke up one day suddenly interested in box. Now go away.
- R453, that's not me. I'm a better writer than that, and tend to use commas more frequently. I'm also pretty diligent about my spelling. But I agree with the substance of the comment: Evans is now straight, but was once gay, and he's facing a challenge from a small-but-vocal element of the gay community that feels spurned by his being true to himself.
Sad. I'll say it again: gay men should be the last people to criticize others for living their truth the way Luke Evans now is.
- r460, if that's genuinely the case, why doesn't he say so?
- Exactly, R461.
[quote]gay men should be the last people to criticize others for living their truth the way Luke Evans now is.
And his truth involves pretending he never said what he did in the past? Why doesn't he acknowledge what he used to say and settle it once and for all? Why say those things in the first place?
- [R460] that is pure fantasy. You have nothing to back up your statement that Luke Evans is now straight. What a dumb thing to say. The only thing he's ever been on record as saying- and several times- is that he is GAY. I'd hold the applause too... unless "living his truth" involves silly PR attempts at bearding and heavy drinking. He's now straight like I'm now The Duchess of Cambridge.
- At least Cavill has never made any public proclamations (that I know of).
Evans' behavior is indefensible.
- Off-topic: "small-but-vocal"... how do you know? It irks when I hear and see people use that, unless, of course, you have conducted a study with an appropriate sample size.
- [quote] Evans is now straight, but was once gay, and he's facing a challenge from a small-but-vocal element of the gay community that feels spurned by his being true to himself.
Funny how such posters don't substantiate such claims.
- These aren't "claims" that need to be proven. Luke, today, is straight. What he was or thought that he was years ago is the past.
- [quote] These aren't "claims" that need to be proven. Luke, today, is straight. What he was or thought that he was years ago is the past.
Well if you wrote it, it MUST be true.
- Yes, Luke's publicist certainly did find this thread.
[quote]Evans is now straight, but was once gay, and he's facing a challenge from a small-but-vocal element of the gay community that feels spurned by his being true to himself.
Bollocks. Luke Evans didn't suddenly find straightness in the wide blue ether, he found Hollywood. Simple as.
And that's why you are coming here trying to squelch the gay. But honey we have long memories.
- Luke's PR team must be shitting themselves about his exhibitionism
- Who in the hell is he doing this for? I'm a straight chick. Am I his target demo/audience? Is hiding for "my" benefit?
Make a good movie, be a good actor and I'll be right there watching you. I don't give a fuck who you're fucking.
- R471, he's doing it for the majority of fangirls like R460, stupid enough to believe that he's straight. She just proves that the tactic worked. He's not dumb, that for sure.
- The hypocrisy and hysteria on this thread is astounding.
- Luke Evans is a faggot in the truest sense of the word. Fuck that coward.
- He better not have touched my Henry! He's way out of his league.
- The only hypocrisy that can be pointed to is Luke's, R473. You don't know anyone else on this thread.
He's looking to make a living. It isn't a coincidence or latent discovery of his "true" sexuality that currently drives him. He went back into the closet solely for a Hollywood career. He isn't the first, but hopefully, he'll be one of the last. The internet now exists and you have to be a complete moron to believe someone who claims they're suddenly not gay when they've always been known as gay. If you have access to the internet and access to HIS words/actions, you have no excuse to believe the current bullshit he's trying to feed you.
If his sexuality was "fluid" prior to his attempt at Hollywood fame, that's one thing, but it's patently obvious when you consider the timing of this.
I'm sure there are many gay people who understand what he did, but there are other gay people who have every right to be disappointed in his actions.
Me? I'm embarrassed that so many straight chicks are so stupid as to think he or any other guy in Hollywood (straight or gay) is going to fall madly in love with them... and Hollywood plays to that idiocy.
- I'm sure you will scoff and huff and puff (seems to be default with many people invested in this topic) but I'm a gay guy, not a straight woman. So your (misogynistic, patronizing) assumption that only (desperate, stupid) straight women accept that Luke's sexuality has evolved is incorrect.
- Now, it's fun here, a lunatic, no proofs at all for him beeing straight (not that I need some) and a very well known gay past!
And - most important - a faith healing from beeing gay! I'm waiting for his marriage! *LOL*
I hope he is picked up at the Club! ;-)
True fans love a straight Luke! *ROFL*
- [quote]I'm sure you will scoff and huff and puff (seems to be default with many people invested in this topic) but I'm a gay guy, not a straight woman
Nice to see you read DL, Ladybird Bachmann.
- [quote]but I'm a gay guy
Well hold on, don't make any sudden proclamations. Next week, you might decide you're "fluid."
- Funny, R480.
- I don't accept its "evolved" (is he pre-pubescent now?), not when we have actual evidence he started out as a total flamer.
This is a case of its own entirely, usually its just rumours and observation. Not here. It's sick that they think they can lie about this. And all for some D list actor.
- Oh, I'm a gay man too, any other gay men here? *LOL*
- [quote] And all for some D list actor.
As dickish a move as going back in the closet was, the truth is he's not D List.
- [quote]He better not have touched my Henry! He's way out of his league. by: Corey Spears
Touched it... and then some.
- r484, 99% of the public probably couldn't name him or identify him, so, no, he's not D-list. More like V-list.
- I only know him from this thread. I've never seen his movies.
A-list: Brad Pitt
B-list: Bryan Cranston
C-list: Chelsea Handler
I think "D" might be too high for Evans.
- I love that Bryan Cranston is so high r487. I'm just waiting for him to get a good film part and he'll do a Richard Jenkins.
- I wish someone had the guts to ask him why he scurried back into the closet.
- Deport her to Russia!
- "Who in the hell is he doing this for? I'm a straight chick. Am I his target demo/audience? Is hiding for "my" benefit? "
He's doing it for the Hollywood studio suits, nobody else.
Again, nobody has proven that audiences will shun out actors, but Hollywood suits assume they will. Because the suits firmly believe that out gay actors will hurt the box office, they practice open discrimination in hiring. So to be clear this idiocy is not the fault of the fangirls, it's not the fraus, it's the producers, directors, and agents who are making untested assumptions about what audiences want. Evans himself is just trying to work in a field where job discrimination is blatant and legal.
- "So your (misogynistic, patronizing) assumption that only (desperate, stupid) straight women accept that Luke's sexuality has evolved is incorrect."
Seriously, how can anyone possibly think this way. You're trolling, right? Come on, admit it!
- Good trolls never admit their trolling ways. Why stop a "good" thing?
- The proof is in the pudding. Luke is happier and more successful than ever since he came out as straight (lol). I think the sky's the limit and in a few years he'll be married and his wife will be pregnant.
- He is a gay man who made the mistake to do a coming out years ago in a gay magazine and than he had the chance to play in Hollywood-movies and PENG - there was a relationship with a woman (funny enough a PR-Lady).
At the same time his Wikipedia-Information was changed a few times and now he prefers not to speak about his privat life and he don't want entertain people with it.
He don't speak about it any more because he wants a career, he has this chance to work in Hollywood and of course he keep his mouth shut. A film-career is a dream he never thought he can have, he would be stupid not take this chance, it means money and fame!
Only that he is gay is the problem, so he was told to shut his mouth and stay private. Because Hollywood still fear about the female fans and of course some conservative people. So they install the PR-Lady to say she is his girlfriend. Look here, I'm his girlfriend and the Ladies can dream!
That there are no photos from them as a couple is not the problem. Just say once he is straight and it is enough. Just read here some postings. Who should believe that?
But there are worse cases, gay married man. I mean how naive are people, even a marriage is not a proof.
- R495, is English your second language? If so, congratulations on doing so well with a very difficult language.
If it's not, OMFG! Please learn some grammar. Do something. Your writing skills are abysmal.
- [R496] That's the problem, my mother tonque is not English, I have English just a few years in school, sorry for my mistakes.
- They have me screen tasting with Cavill. Somehow I think I will have the best chemistry.
- [R498] Please let it be Luke!
- I mean may Batman be Luke Evans... not that poster, lol.
- I actually hope Wes Bentley gets it. It would be a huge comeback for him. Luke can be the next Bond and go even deeper into the closet.
- Luke is not going to happen. He will never be Batman and he will never be Bond. He's ugly and old looking.
- I do think he could do a good job, but lets be honest, Wes Bentley is a heroin addict. There is always a strong chance that with all the success that could come from taking over the Batman character that he is going to slip back into using...and/or accidentally kill himself. Can the Batman franchise handle another high profile drug death?
- And what is Daniel Craig r502?
- I think he agrees with you, R502, and that's why he's probably going to become a character actor and raise a family when he meets the right woman.
- I don't think haggard makes a difference to being cast as Bond.
- [R502] You can say Luke looks older, weathered or whatever but you cannot say he is ugly. He is gorgeous, charismatic and very sexy. Problem is- he knows it.
He also has enough work behind him (theater, B-movies and major Hollywood franchises) to continue having a long term acting career.
If he ever fades too far into obscurity he can always bring out the gay thing for instant publicity. Harsh? Oui. False? Non!
All this back and forth about him being straight now is beyond ridiculous. Luke is a sister. Always has been, always will be.
- Luke would be incredible as Batman.
- she's sooo ugly
- I don't find this closet case attractive at all.
- Luke should be ashamed of himself. I know it sounds harsh, but I don't care. So many brave people have come out these past few weeks.. from Wentworth Miller to Darren Young and minor celebrities like Troye Sivan and Lucas Cruikshank. He's a sad and pathetic closet case. I have no sympathy for him whatsoever. I used to at least understand where he was coming from.. and I still kinda do. But it doesn't make it ok. He's not allowed to just turn his back on our cause. Fuck no. It doesn't work like that. You have Wentworth Miller coming out for something he strongly believes in. Zachary Quinto came out because of gay teen suicides. Where has he been during all of this? What has he done for our cause? Being in the closet means that he doesn't have a voice, which means he can't help us. My sympathy for him stops here. I don't care if he was pushed back in the closet by Hollywood execs, there's something called having morals, and standing up for what you believe in. He could have said no, but he didn't. At the end of the day money speaks louder than being true to yourself. Just sad.
- R511, you're telling Luke to be ashamed of himself because you don't like that the gender he appreciates and loves sexually has changed. You know what I say to that: SHAME ON YOU. Luke now has sexual relationships with women, and he shouldn't be shamed for being straight.
- R507 He's ugly and repulsive.
- said the frau in denial.
- R513 I agree. That is one of the ugliest 34 year olds I have ever seen. It's not just him being weathered - he's flat out ugly. He looks like a lizard.
- I think LE is beautiful.
[R511] you sound like a rabid narcissist. "Luke has to champion your cause, what has he done for us? he has no right to turn away from our cause, if he can't support us I have no sympathy" blah, blah, blah... Luke Evans is actually a real person. There are personal reasons plenty of gay people don't come out like family, job, etc. Would you feel this strongly if a gay man in the military stayed closeted for his career and didn't come out "because of gay teen suicide"? Why do we respect some gays right to come out and publicly talk about their being gay only when they are ready and not his? You sound like you have a lot to learn about the real world.
- Average actor and average beauty but a very good liar.
- He did this because he knows he can get away with it scot-free. The gays don't hold each other accountable.
- He once said that he won't entain with his private life! That's something I can unterstand, for me nothing is more disappointing for gays than huge letters on a frontpage "I'M GAY!!!!" It shows that it is still something different, something that still makes headlines!
Sure the beard was disappointing to, but I'm not sure how much influence he had, she was it who spoke not he.
- [quote] Sure the beard was disappointing to, but I'm not sure how much influence he had, she was it who spoke not he.
There's no way in hell he didn't know she was going to give that quote.
I do think he regretted it afterwards. However, he really should clear up the issue. Perhaps it will be like Matt Bomer - if he gets a long-running series (TV or movie franchise), he'll clarify the issue of his sexuality.
- I think he is to enthusiastic at the moment to see the problem. I have no idea what he is thinking how he can handle that in future.
Not long ago the questions came up "Will Luke Evans Be Brave Enough to Become Hollywood's First Openly Gay Leading Man?"
That all is not easy!
- I know English is not your first language but I have no idea what you mean by 'enthusiastic'...
- Luke is home with his gf enjoying the good life in London. Nice for him.
- Haha. In your dreams, frau.
- Luke is eating pussy as I type this!
- My mouth stinks.
- [quote]Luke is home with his gf enjoying the good life in London. Nice for him.
I thought Cavill was still in LA.
- Who will come out first? Luke Evans or Henry Cavill?
- Has he gone back to the closet, or is he one of those people who initially thought that they had a fixed sexuality but, upon revision, realized that he "fluctuates" between both genders? It is perfectly possible, as unappealing as some of us might find it.
Nevertheless, I don't think that we should be really concerned about his actions. Whether he is gay or bisexual, there are many more actors who are infinitely more visible who have already come out of the closet. He can date a million women for all I care; we have bigger and better people on our side.
- Let me just clarify my post.. yes, it's true that it's ultimately his decision, and yes, he's free to do whatever he wants. You're right, he doesn't owe us anything, but that doesn't mean I'm gonna sit back and just agree with what he's doing. I think it's wrong. It's one thing to be closeted in your career, it's an entirely different thing to come out, saying you like big cocks, and that you despise people going into the closet to try and be successful.. then a few years later you're doing EXACTLY the same! He's doing what he criticized only a few years prior. That's what I have a problem with. He basically said he hated people like that, then he became one of those people. And let me just state that I know it's complicated. It's not JUST him, it's Hollywood studios and managers advising him to stay in the closet, I know that. But he CAN still have guts and say "no" and come out. But he won't. It's ultimately his own decision. The people around him might advice him on staying in the closet, but they can't force him to do anything. He could be out right now if he wanted to. I know it might cost him some roles, but it's about being true to yourself and who you are. I think that's more important than getting roles and being rich. Just my opinion.
And yes.. I still think he looks like a hypocrite compared to Lucas and Wentworth. They were brave. He.. not so much. Money speaks louder to him than being true to himself. Just sad.
- I remember a year or two ago we had a huge 'battle of the edits' at Wikipedia between those who wanted to erase the references to Luke Evans being gay, and those who wanted to keep the references to his love of gay porn.
I'm assuming the anti-gay side prevailed and that it no longer lists him as a gay actor?
- [R522] I have the impression he is a little "over the moon", "enthusiastically", as he said on Twitter, he is "having the time of his life"! He never thought that he can have a career like that and yet it happened and of course he is enthustiastically with all that what happened and comes up in his life! Maybe he does not see the shadows and negativ sites at the moment.
- Wentworth needs a long time to come out! Before he said nothing.
Why are all those guys heroes who came out? And shortly before people still criticized him for his behavior for not saying a word!
- R532, I remember that. I guess the anti gay bigots won. It's sad. Like.. he came out. It's in print. You can't just take that back. You can't just go back into the closet like that. It's not fair.
R534, fangirl.. please learn English.
- Why doesn't the publication in which his coming out interview / article first came to light now run a story or series of stories illuminating his current lies?
- [quote] And yes.. I still think he looks like a hypocrite compared to Lucas and Wentworth. They were brave. He.. not so much. Money speaks louder to him than being true to himself. Just sad.
No argument about Evans hypocrisy, but Wentworth Miller is not a good example of bravery. I applaud the way he came out, but don't pretend he didn't remain closeted for most of his career. He's 40 years old. If he didn't transition to screenwriting, I highly doubt he would have written that letter (assuming he was invited to the festival as an actor).
- R537, I agree with you. I have called Wentworth out on it before. No doubt he should have come out sooner, when he actually had a successful acting career. That said, it's better late than never. At least Wentworth didn't beard, or even deny being gay. He was simply glass closeted. More than can be said about Luke, who basically just erased his past.
Miller had his share of beards and denied being gay.
- r532/r535, this is what it currently says at Wikipedia:
In a 2002 interview, Evans said, "Everybody knew me as a gay man, and in my life in London I never tried to hide it" and that by being open he would not have "that skeleton in the closet they can rattle out". In 2004, he said his acting career had not suffered by being out. In September 2010, a female PR executive said she was dating Evans: "Luke's lovely – we're really old friends and it just sort of happened... We are nowhere near engaged but things are really good."
- [R535] I can work on my English but I will certainly not change my gender! Sorry!
- R535, you can disagree with someone, but it's the height of idiocy to insult someone who can speak (and write) in more than one language - even if the grasp is remedial.
- "Not long ago the questions came up "Will Luke Evans Be Brave Enough to Become Hollywood's First Openly Gay Leading Man?""
Has he done any leading roles, in Hollywood films? Because I've only seen him in supporting roles.
What are the odds that he'd make the move from featured actor to leading man, if he came out?
- [quote] Why doesn't the publication in which his coming out interview / article first came to light now run a story or series of stories illuminating his current lies?
They did. The original "coming out" interview was in The Advocate in 2002. And The Advocate DID run a follow-up story on the web in 2011, complete with a link to the original interview, after the Wikipedia brouhaha. They even tried to get a response from Evans' publicist, who would only say that Evans no longer speaks about his personal life.
He can't be a leading man because he's an average actor.
- Was surprised to see that Wikipedia is currently allowing Luke Evans to be listed as a gay actor:
- [R546] Almost! But better than nothing!
- I'm R511, R531 and R538 btw.
- I must say, I have no idea how I would handle his situation! It's easy to be angry about the PR-Lady-Story or saying nothing more about his sexuality, but I can unterstand him a little bit, he has this big chance and not using it would be stupid, to say nothing is maybe the best and everybody with brain can find out the truth with just a few online-clicks.
Of course he is still gay! Makes Hollywood happy? It's hard, I have no idea and I maybe would do the same if I can live my dream.
- R549, like I said.. I understand his reasons for staying in the closet. But that doesn't mean I'm ok with it. I honestly think he's a hypocrite. So many brave people have come out lately. And what is he doing? Oh yeah.. still hiding. The worst thing is that he was actually out at some point, but went back in. That's despicable.
- Boo hoo! R549 is not ok with Luke Evans, who doesn't know R549 exists on this planet, being in the closet.
I'm quite confident you're in the closet with your non-celebrity life too. Yes you are, and so is 50% of the people who post negative critical comments in this thread.
Talk about hypocrites!
- [R551] Come on! I'm not 15 anymore! It's easy to scream around about other persons here and their opinions you maybe don't like but that's life! There will be always others with opinions you don't like!
And it is very easy to scream around online with fake names or anonymous, nobody knows who you are and how you live! I'm not stupid! I mean ...
- Agree with those who think Luke Evans is a hypocrite.
- Agree with those who think Luke Evans is talented and beautiful.
- He's average in beauty and talent but he's at top levels in hypocrisy.
- [R555] That's not true, there are a few more in Hollywood. Married, children, beards, "Ladykillers" and than they do gay parties!
- The Wikipedia thing is ridiculous. He dates women but he's listed as a gay actor? The gay activists are out of control. He is what he says and does--STRAIGHT.
- [R557] You are at the wrong Forum honey! And you will never date him! So let us discuss here!
- Luke tweeted Aug 28th about Putin's women's underwear portrait. This is a few weeks after he posted Stephen Fry's link about Russia's anti-gay laws.
Maybe he's not as "in" as we think. Maybe he just doesn't want to talk directly in public about his sexuality. That doesn't mean he's not on our team.
- He's a double hypocrite
- [R559] That is what I wanted to say a time back, when Evans posted the link to Stephen Fry's open letter about the Olympics in Russia! Read the signs or read between the lines!
- He's double hypocrite because he doesn't want to come out but at the same time he doesn't want to be considered a closet case which in fact he is.
- [R562] You are not in his Situation and it is easy to scream around about him, but would you come out in his Situation? I bet NO!
- It's not a question of whether he should come out. He already has come out. He came out in the 2002 interview in the Advocate, and again in subsequent interviews. I understand why some actors choose to stay in the closet, but Luke Evans' situation is different. This is the case of an actor who came out and lived openly for years as a gay man, but now he (or his PR team) want to pretend that never happened. Even that might be forgivable if it weren't for the fact that Luke is now doing exactly the thing he said he'd never do and the thing he criticized others for doing. He didn't just come out in the Advocate interview. He also said he'd never hide his sexuality for the sake of his career. And he criticized people like George Michael for not coming out sooner. It's hard to see his actions as anything other than hypocritical.
It's also insulting how his PR people treat the public like idiots. They thought people would accept the rumor that Luke is dating a woman and be too stupid to actually do a Google search and find the old interviews where Luke said he was gay. Then, when people found the old interviews and tried to link to them on Wikipedia, Luke's PR team thought they could stop that by having those people permanently banned from Wikipedia. Truly pathetic.
- I think that is more his PR-Team than him. And why should he come out again and again and again? I guess he can come out 100 times his PR-people will change everything again or say to him "shut your mouth or you are unemployed."
He knew what he did in the past and I think he knows that just a little Google-search brings light into the darkness. Maybe he thinks, let the PR-Team to what the want, everybody can find out the truth easily! And with some messages at Twitter it's easy so unterstand.
- [quote] And he criticized people like George Michael for not coming out sooner.
I think he was referring more to George's toilet antics. Luke likes to keep it classy by going on Cam4.
- [R566] Not sure if it really was him but I had a great laugh anyway!
- [quote]It's also insulting how his PR people treat the public like idiots.
But they are, Blanche; they are.
- R563, he ALREADY came out, and then tried to go back in. I think that's what people find insulting in this situation. Sure, we knew Wentworth Miller was gay. But he hadn't officially come out in an interview and admitted he liked gay porn. What Luke Evans has done makes this a different situation.
- [quote]I think that is more his PR-Team than him.
Why is the PR Team doing it in the first place? If he's an openly-gay actor, he would be insulting by his PR Team doing something like that and put a stop to it. Think about it.
- [quote] admitted he liked gay porn
It's not unseemly to like gay porn.
- R571, are you not paying attention? I'm saying that if Luke's PR Team are claiming he is STRAIGHT they seem to be forgetting that straight men don't do interviews saying they like GAY porn.
Put your reading glasses on, Gramps.
- [quote]Luke likes to keep it classy by going on Cam4.
You wrote "admitted", as if it were a crime or something.
- Give it up, R574. You missed the point. 'Admitted' means you revealed something. Which he did. He revealed and admitted to the use of gay porn, which is not something a straight man does.
- R573, you must be the only person who doesn't know about Luke's cam4 adventure.
It even comes up in Google Autofill.
- R576, I've got news for you: Didn't even know this guy existed until a couple of months ago, let alone that he was on cam4.
- Do tell us how your ignorance is newsworthy, o r576.
- I'm sure that was meant for me, R578, so I'll respond:
First of all, "I've got news for you" isn't meant to be taken literally. The fact that I have to explain a common expression to you is... odd.
Second, not knowing celebrities -particularly those who are lower on the totem pole- would not fall under the category of "ignorance."
You reserve the word "ignorance" for people who don't know who Angela Merkel is or those incapable of finding Canada on a map, not for those who are unfamiliar with Luke Evans and/or his online escapades.
- Yes, that was indeed meant for you, r577 (apologies to r576).
Please continue. I love your pedantic style.
- r570, that's precisely what happened with NPH: if I recall correctly, it was a Canadian news item that identified him as gay, which flew around the net, his PR person tried to pooh-pooh the story (and in an unfortunately insulting way), which pissed off the people who KNEW he was gay and NPH had to issue a clarification that, yes, he was gay and proud of it -- and I've often wondered if that PR person is still employed by NPH.
Back to Luke: has he tried to do the bearding thing since 2011, when the going back in the closet story hit? All the pics I've seen of him at premieres and events since then, he's always been solo.
I assume he's still single and playing the field; I wonder if he settled down with one guy would come back out again?
- By the way, the official British fangirl line on such people as Luke Evans and other British actor closet cases is that Luke recently became bisexual and the others are just decently private people - in other words, they assert that the closeted British actor does not exist.
- Luke's in a tough situation. His sexuality, which he once thought was more homo, shifted/became clear in his late 20s, and he is now hetero. That shouldn't be a big deal, but because of politics it seems that it is. I am happy that he's living his truth after some questioning years and that his career is doing so well, though I don't think the two are related.
- R583 I hope you're being sarcastic.
-  Hello from planet earth! How's the weather where you are?
- R583= Cheryl
- [quote]His sexuality, which he once thought was more homo, shifted/became clear in his late 20s, and he is now hetero.
- What type of man like Luke Evans? My friend said dark guys, Latinos, I think maybe blonde with blue eyes and good trained!
Anybody who knows?
- r583 is being sarcastic, right?
- R583 is a fangurl
- At his latest Twitter-photo he looks not very well, older and tired! Works to much!
- Here's what I think
- [R592] What a knowledge! *g*
- Luke is out, he came out in 2003. I dont think he should speak about it again until his creer his reached its full potential
- [quote]At his latest Twitter-photo he looks not very well, older and tired! Works to much!
He keeps looking worse and worse, and he's only 34! I hate to think of how he'll look at 40.
- Leave him be. He's fabulous.
- He hasn't been fabulous since Taboo.
- To be fair, from time to time he looks great, but he aged in a bad way the last two years, he doesn't look as great as he did when he playes Zeus! He has bad skin and smokes.
- Happy that he's living his STRAIGHT life after some years of confusion.
- New thread.