- That bush could''ve used a trim.
- I disagree, R1. Full, dark bushes are sexy.\
I''m glad guys in those days didn''t shave.
- OP, it would be helpful if you would tell us who is.
- Dear R3:\
Please clean the Cheetos dust from your glasses. OP said who it is.
- [quote]OP, it would be helpful if you would tell us who is.\
- R3, I assumed he was a big enough star that you would have heard of him.
- Heard he went both ways. He was very hot in "Elmer Gantry".
- Oh I don''t know any stars before Justin Bieber and Rebecca Black! I have absolutely no knowledge of the past!
- I was born in 1992. Forgive me for not knowing an actor who died when I was two.
- r3, He was in one of Judy''s last musicals. A Child Is Bleating. Little boy raised by sheep, learns to sing and becomes adorable.
- The Swimmer!
- R3 is culturally illiterate.
- R9, I could understand if we were talking about some anonymous B-list actor, but we''re talking about one of the biggest names in Hollywood
- Uncut? Was that common in those days?
- I think so R14.
- Looks a lot like he''s wearing a merkin to me.
- Ask anyone under 40 if they know who Burt Lancaster is. I IMDBed him. His last movie was in 1991 and that was on TV.
- R17, he was a major movie star. I''m only 33 and I know who he was. Haven''t you heard of movies like "From Here To Eternity"?
- R14. Yes, very common...as it is all over the world today.
- R3 is a freaking FOOL
- R9. Never heard of anyone who died of note? Ever heard of Marilyn Monroe or someone like that? Get out much?
- As they say R3, the internet is suppose to make you smarter, not dumber.\
Even if you didn''t know who he was, you have all the tools at your fingertips to find out - before making a fool of yourself.
- Nothing makes the queens bear their claws faster than when some poor youngster who doesn''t know any better fails to recognize the name of some actor or actress who hasn''t been particularly relevant for half a century. Unsheath, ladies, Burt Lancaster hasn''t been a household name since prior to the AIDS epidemic.
- That''s no excuse for ignorance, R23.
- R3 sounds retarded and fat.
- R23 sounds just as bad.
- I''m not going to bitch-slap for his cultural insularity.\
But many people are pretty familiar with famous icons of generations long before we were born.
- R3 and company, haven''t you even seen "Field of Dreams"? I can imagine not having seen "Sweet Smell of Success" or even "From Here to Eternity," but "Field of Dreams"? It''s in color, you know.
- another fake photo
- Ecccch -- "bitch-slap R3 for his ..."
- That photo has been circulating for many years, R29.
- Thank you, OP. He was one of my early crushes. Got one of Tyrone? Steve Cochran?
- I was born in 1989 and while I have heard his name, I still had to IMDB him.
- At his hottest . . . his earliest role, ''The Swede'' in ''THE KILLERS'' (1946)
- That picture looks like a serial killer. \
Mommy, I am scared!
- He was a big whore. I wouldn''t be surprised if it really was him.
- Back in my day we had real movie stars! Also why do they keep restaurants so cold?
Most of the posters in this thread
- OMG, r3 is truly culturally illiterate. BURT fucking LANCASTER? BURT LANCASTER? Elmer Gantry, Sweet Smell of Success, Field of Dreams, The Killers, From Here to Eternity, Sorry Wrong Number, Come Back Little Sheba..just to name a few CLASSIC films he starred in. He was one of the most famous actors in Hollywood HISTORY, you dumbass freak. I don''t care WHEN you were born. Obviously yesterday. \
How sad to be so stupid.
- I hope mom and dad teach me to drive soon!
- We''ll maybe be in the same driver''s- ed class
- Does that mean it''s authentic, R31? \
fake fake fake fake
did I say it''s a fake?
- BTW, Burt Lancaster won the OSCAR for BEST ACTOR for Elmer Gantry. Just another little tidbit about this "irrelevant" actor for the functioning illiterate among you.
- No one has mentioned his best film, Smokey and the Bandit!
Madysyn, age 14
- Looks real to me.
- or the third reply dude knew who BL is but wanted to appear above it all like he couldnt be bothered to have such trivial knowledge taking up bandwith in his brain. I am sure that I see that a lot on DL as part of the whole pointless bitchery phenomenon.
- Fuck you, R45.
- R3/R9, with this logic we suppose your entire world is populated by your mommy, daddy, grammy, and kids in your class. \
Enjoy your lifelong poverty in pleasant ignorance. But maybe you need to find another playground, toots.\
If you don''t know what any of the words in this post mean, since some of them predate your nativity (Oops - there''s one, I''ll bet.), there''s this thing called a "dictionary."
- I hate assholes like R9 who use the "I wasn''t born then" excuse to justify their ignorance. I wasn''t alive when they made silent movies, but I recognize the names of actors who starred in them. Stop wearing your cultural ignorance as a badge of pride. It''s not cute or endearing. Oh yeah, and there''s also this newfangled thing called Google. Douchebag.
- Marilyn Monroe, James Deen, Joan Crawford, Bette Davis, etc. I even know who Gloria Grahame is. I know plenty of dead movie stars, just not Burt Lancaster. Sorry to get your panties all twisted. He''s just not on anybody''s radar today.
- You know I don''t care for old Hollywood, but for some reason I love eating old people''s excrement.
- you''re an ignorant fool
- When a late friend of mine asked him to oppose a California ballot iniatative decades back, he said "I do one all the time and I don''t smoke." There were two initiatives on the ballot. One was about gay teachers, the other was about smoking. When I heard that story, I learned that Burt Lancaster was bi. I have liked him ever since.
- He is placed at number nineteen in the American Film Institute''s list of the Fifty Greatest Screen Legends.%0D\
- Next thing you know they''ll be asking us who Minnie Maddern Fiske and Clyde Fitch were.%0D\
Sent from my IPhone.
- he used to smoke
- Sorry, folks, but his greatest movie was "Seven Days in May," as a general who tries to overthrow the government of the U.S. The confrontation he has with Kurt Douglas outside the Oval Office at the end is legendary. It''s B&W, but available on Netflix.
- He gave up smoking cigarettes, but never gave up his support of gay rights. He fought against McCarthyism in the fifties, for civil rights in the sixties and for gay rights in the seventies. People should know about courageous men like Burt Lancaster.
- [quote] I was born in 1992. Forgive me for not knowing an actor who died when I was two.I was born in 1992. Forgive me for not knowing an actor who died when I was two.\
I know who he is but then I was born in 1990. I guess those two years make a world of difference.
- I believe he punched the shit out of Margot Kidder when they did a film together in the 70''s.
- In all fairness, who DIDN''T want to punch the shit out of Margot Kidder in the 1970s?
- R56, I''m a fan of "Seven Days in May" too. I read the novel before seeing the movie, and to me, Lancaster was absolutely perfectly cast for the character of General Scott.
- I don''t think it''s a fake. There are several male movie stars who posed for naked photos in those days. Some of them were taken by the famous photographer George Platt Lynes
- Honey it''s fine that you don''t know who Burt Lancaster is, but all you have to do is google him. I don''t know who half the fucking people mentioned on DL are, but I don''t expect Cliff Notes when others who do know discuss them.
- Uncut and gorgeous. No chest hair thought?
- Can we please get back to chastising r3.
Beat the shit out of that bitch... I hate her.
- R3 has been raked across the coals quite a lot now.\
I''m going to post the naked photos of Yul Brynner next. They are by George Platt Lynes. They''ve probably been posted in the past, but they are worth seeing again.
- I think young people today don''t watch old movies. As simple as that. I grew up watching the Late Show and b&w movies from long before my time, but I grew up before the computer age. I just don''t think younger people have an attention span long enough to watch movies that aren''t big cartoon action flicks. Who is going to look up old movies to stream on their computers? Look at what''s being made today - date movies full of CGI. Before CGI, movies were more character driven and actors'' performances were more important and their careers more memorable. I doubt if anyone born 25 years from now will be familiar with a single movie star from 2011. It is a part of culture and there used to be a lot of beautiful movies made. R3 isn''t going to suffer in any way from not knowing who Burt Lancaster is, but he/she just lost his/her place in a particular cultural community.
- R3 has really been raked across the coals now.\
I''m going to post photos of Yul Brynner next by George Platt Lynes. They''ve probably been posted in the past, but they are worth seeing again.
- Yul Brynner?
r3 looking for a brand new beat down.
- I assume even R3 and his ilk must have seen "The Ten Commandments" by now. It is broadcast every Easter.
- ''Sweet Smell Of Success'' should be on every DataLounger''s radar. \
Burt as a callous powerful gossip columnist with a creepy over-protectiveness for his sister; Tony Curtis as a desperate showbiz hack in master/slave confusion with Burt - and a liking for the sister; Manhattan in Weegee-like b/w; theatrical screenplay by Odets. (I now feel the need to see it again.) \
Also: Louis Malle''s ''Atlantic City'', with Sarandon; and, pre-eminently, ''The Leopard.''
Match me, Sydney
- I look forward to the day when nude politicians will have as much shock value as nude movie stars.
- Someone needs to bump the "Naked Celebrities" thread, and add the OP''s pic to it.%0D
- Burt was great in those 2 with Visconti - he obviously got on with The Leopard, he has an ingtriguing scene with a naked Helmut Berger in Conversation Piece).%0D\
But its true about young people today - I was watching a quiz show University Challenge, here in the UK with university students, who are meant to be cleverer than ordinary teenagers - and they had to name some movie stars from photos - not one of the 8 knew who Marlene Dietrich, Jean Harlow, Mae West or Bette Davis or James Stewart were ! which means they never see any old movies.%0D\
I also worked with 2 guys in their 20s who were proud that they knew nothing about from before they were born.
- R67 is an asshole-enabler. Stop making excuses and assumptions for the brain-dead.
- From r74:\
I also worked with 2 guys in their 20s who were proud that they knew nothing about from before they were born.\
I''ve encountered that too. What exactly are these assholes proud of? It''s like an entire generation of Peter Pans. Do they think that claiming ignorance of something that happened before they were born is somehow going to prevent them from having to grow up? AND WORSE -- wait till these idiots claim no knowledge of Hitler and/or the Holocaust. That''s something to be very afraid of. I can guarantee that they''ve never head of this warning either: "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it".
- FWIW, the Judy-Burt film A CHILD IS WAITING is NOT a musical.
- Before Sweet Smell he produced and starred in Trapeze in 1956 and brought Tony Curtis on as his costar. Curtis credited the film, which was about high wire aerialists in a European traveling circus, with rescuing his career from the schlocky sword and shield B movies he was stuck doing. %0D\
It''s a fun film....much wearing of sweaty white tights by the two young stars!%0D\
Burt also produced Marty the year before and though he wasn''t in the film, won an Oscar as producer of the year''s best film. Ernie Borgnine, who played Marty, won best actor.%0D\
Yes, Burt was quite a force in 1950s Hollywood.
- Any 19 year olds on Dl will be 47 in ten yers time.
- we are the darlings who call Gaga original
- we are the darlings who call Gaga original
- More stories about the whoreishness, please?%0D\
And yes, I highly recommend "Trapeze" and "Sweet Smell of Success" to any Datalounger. The latter is an excellent film, and both are so homoerotic I still wonder if Lancaster and Tony Curtis were having an affair. They seem so into each other onscreen, it''s like watching the Viggo and Orlando of the fifties.
- Wow, you queens have lost your lunch on this one. There are certain people you should know - key historical figures in US and World History in regards to the creation of our country and the world and the policies that have or will affect the future. %0D\
Burt Lancaster was some silly actor. Neither relevant or important to world events or the politics and policies that shape world events. %0D\
To get your caftans wrinkled because someone doesn''t know who Burt Lancaster is, is silly beyond silly. Save this outrage when someone doesn''t know George Washington, Malcolm X, or Harvey Milk. Be pissed off when someone doesn''t know the importance of Elizabeth I. %0D\
Burt Lancaster means nothing. He is a disposable figure in a disposable profession. And therefore, whether someone remembers him or not, bares no significance on their intelligence one way or the other.
- I first saw the photo back in the seventies, and there''s no reason to assume it''s fake any more than any of the other nude photos of various old school celebs. R41 is an asshat.
- Loved him in "Airport".
- Can someone post the nude shot of Tony Danza when he was a boxer?
- I''m not a huge fan of a lot of his movies, especially Elmer Gantry, but watch him in From Here to Eternity. The man never misses in that thing. His body language, his facial expressions, his delivery, every gesture in every scene is absolutely on the mark.
- r83 is onto something in that there are disturbing statistics that indicate there is little reason to believe the average American would be able to identify MLK from a photograph.\
The sad truth of it is, there is a pride and defensiveness about preserving the "right" to one''s ignorance of anything that happened before their birth regardless of the import or impact of the subject.
- [r83] What "bears on their intelligence" is not being able to use very available and accessible resources to find out who he is and why someone else might think it important.%0D\
The Leopard [Il Gattopardo] was his shining moment. If you don''t fucking know the film [r3] look it up. Maybe you''ll learn something.
Stupid is as stupid does.
- No r89. It was the mistake of the op to assume that everyone knew some actor who has been dead forever. If you create a thread and then expect people to have to Google to understand it, then what is the point. %0D\
A more appropriate title would have been, "Former Screen Actor Burt Lancaster naked"
- That bush looks trimmed along the top.
- Burt didn''t start acting until he was 32, and before then he did a lot of other thing to pay the bills, like a stint at nude modeling.\
Here''s another nude photo of Burt:
- And another:
- Oh good: Beth Jarrett is here at r90 to tell us how everything should be properly labeled.
"Buck would have identified Burt Lancaster properly..."
- Wonderful stories of bi Burt locking up for days fucking Marlon Brando silly back when Brando was the number one sex god in New York.
- [quote]And therefore, whether someone remembers him or not, bares no significance on their intelligence one way or the other.\
That''s a funny point to express with a spelling error and redundancy.
- [r90] No one "expects" people to google. Makes sense, however, if you don''t want to make a fool of yourself [which [r3] clearly did] that you''d take the time to find out why somebody posted a reference to someone you don''t know. Not to mention that it is not at all unreasonable to expect that people would know who Lancaster is. From now on we ought to post "Former Screen Actor Rock Hudson naked" or "Former Screen Actor Marilyn Monroe naked"? Get real. ~ Some people are just stupid.%0D
James "Deen" indeed
- r83, opinions are like assholes. Everybody''s got one. \
YOUR opinion as to the cultural relevancy of performers or entertainers aso opposed to other historical figures is simply that, one asshole''s opinion.\
People know who the entertainers Jenny Lind and John Wilkes Booth and Sarah Bernhardt and Annie Oakley and Evelyn Nesbit were and those are just a scant few from the 19th and early 20th century who are remembered. Each had a cultural and historical relevancy of a different kind but all were considered "actors" and performers. \
ONLY TIME WILL TELL which actors and entertainers from the 20th century remain in the cultural lexicon. Burt Lancaster was a very famous man in his time. MOST posters here do know who he was. He has a permanent place in Hollywood history, along with many others who may or may NOT be "remembered." \
Excusing people''s ignorance of who he was based upon some sort of rating scale of "historical noteworthiness" is random and peculiar.
- Reading these posts reminds me of listening to what jocks in high school said about the geeks and flamers--totally juvenile . People are stupid (and therefore don''t know who Lancaster is)and people are silly (they can identify Snookie and not Martin Luther King). Dumb is dumb. %0D\
Now on to the subject of Lancaster...%0D\
He was the original choice for Stanley in "Streetcar" and would have been fascinating in the role. However, Brando wanted the part and seduced Lancaster. While offering his ass as fuck buddy to Lancaster, Brando "mentioned" a role in a film called "The Killers" that Lancaster might find "interesting." Hungry to break into Hollywood, off Lancaster went. Brando (perhaps a bit more sore than usual)went on give what many call the greatest performance by an American male actor in the last century.%0D\
This has been discussed more than once. The idea of Lancaster and Brando slamming ham is the stuff of Bel Ami porn.
- I think that it is inexcusable to call someone ignorant because they don''t know the identity of some dead actor. %0D\
Do you know all of the current and alive actors and singers between 15 and 30? What about rappers? Do you know them? What about reality stars? Are they culturally relevant? %0D\
Burt Lancaster belongs to another time. %0D\
I get the feeling that this isn''t so much an argument about Lancaster''s relevancy as much as it is an argument about the aging process.
- R100: I agree! Mozart and Monet and Chaplin belong to another time! Btw, I do know who Snookie is.%0D\
Instead of posting here at DL 100, have you thought about enrolling someplace where you can get your GED? Just wondering.
- I don''t need to be excused. If you''re being stupid I will call you on it. The little asshole who didn''t know who Lancaster is/was made the attempt to make it about age. "Gee! I am too young to know who that is". A big piece of excrement if ever I read one. Lancaster does belong to another time. What''s your point [r100]? We''re only supposed to care about the flavor of the month?
- It''s great that Lancaster was pro-gay as well as hot.
- R54, you are too short for that gesture.
- "Slamming ham"? Isn''t that a lesbian thing?
- r89/97/102 you are quite a nasty little busybody. Bet you can measure the last time you got laid in geological time.
- I''d always heard he had a thick, meaty cock. I''m disappointed.
- R107, that IS a good-sized cock. But we are only seeing it flaccid.
- "Burt Lancaster belongs to another time."\
"Behind every argument is someone''s ignorance."\
- What did Burt ever do professionally in the theater that would earn him the role of Stanley in the original Streetcar production? %0D\
Marlon had been acting for years on Broadway, beginning as a teenager in The Skin of Our Teeth with Tallulah Bankhead. %0D\
I''m not convinced that Burt was really the first choice there. Is that documented?
- Golly [r106] you cut me to the quick. "Nasty little busybody" ~love it. %0D\
Anyway, where do you think you are? This ain''t no convent school. "Get your fix of gay gossip, news and pointless bitchery."%0D\
"To get laid" Now there is a contemporary phrase if ever I heard one! Does it only mean fucking? Because ...
My boyfriend is starting to suck me off as I type this ...
- R83 how many times have you cleared your cookies? You really should wash the asshole before you rim it dear.
- In the end, the greatest and most memorable movie stars are the ones who we remember for particular iconic images in their films: Monroe over the subway grate, Audrey Hepburn at the Tiffany window, Gable at Scarlett''s door, Bogart and Kate Hepburn rowing down the river. %0D\
If nothing else, even if you''ve never seen From Here to Eternity, the image of Burt on the ocean-drenched sand with Deborah Kerr in his arms, earns him a place in the forefront of cinema history.
- Burt as a producer was very important too in the 50s with his company Hecht-Hill-Lancaster who released their films like Separate Tables through United Artists. %0D\
Whatever about the bi- stories he must have been very gay aware and gay friendly, he wouldn''t be in 2 Visconti films otherwise.
- [quote]I was born in 1992. Forgive me for not knowing an actor who died when I was two.\
GOOGLE GOOGLE GOOGLE GOOGLE GOOGLE! You''re on the internet you stupid little turd! Do some research.
- Excellent post, R114.
- How the fuck would I know who Amy Winehouse was? I was only 52 when she died.
- Millions of women are thankful to Lydia Pinkham who more millions have never heard of.
- I mentioned to a co-worker about Gwyneth Paltrow being on a TV show where she learned her heritage. He''s 45-year-old. Lives in Manhattan. Never heard of her.
- R120, the person who never heard of Lancaster is, as exquisitely stated above, a stupid little turd. Your friend who had never heard of Paltrow was an inexplicably lucky bastard.
- Burt always hired gay men to work as his assistants. He said he did that because gay men protected him. They kept his secrets, understood his position and were very loyal. There''s a scene in A Child Is Waiting (with Judy Garland), where Burt walks across the room at the end of the scene. He really pings BIG time! He was so beautiful in The Swimmer. In "From Here To Eternity", you can tell he has a nice peter by looking at Burt in his slacks. He was very proud of it and was clearly a grower. He was said to have an 8 inch peter.
- Well let''s not go by what was said, let''s look at the actual photos. We have them so we might as well use them.
- R122, and they were also REALLY good at sucking my cock!
- [quote]I was born in 1992. Forgive me for not knowing an actor who died when I was two.\
Yet you grew up with the internet, and can''t even perform a simple Google search before making a complete ass of yourself.
- I think he and Kirk Douglas fucked each other at some point. God, they were such a hot couple.
- Burt was quoted as saying "his male assistants probably told their pals braggingly, that they were sleeping with him." Its said he as a great guy...gay friendly (as has been widely reported) too. Despite the bi-sexual rumors that hounded him for years, in 1985, Burt did an Aids prevention commercial.
He was great pals with Rock Hudson. Many gay & bi-sexual men have said they saw him at Rock Hudson's all gay male orgies (and that he allegedly participated...mostly as a bottom), in the 1960's.
Could someone please start a thread on Charlton Heston? I've always wondered if he was bi.
I love Burt and Charlton Heston...
- Geez, you queens are in a frenzy because someone was ignorant of Burt Lancaster. You ALL need your meds
- R126 we "ethnics" are not interested in a thread about Charlton Heston. Thank you
- Here's a deal. When someone mentions some new star whom I have never heard of, I will do as I always do, simply look him up and realize that there are a great many new stars whom I don't know about. And, accordingly, not criticize anyone for not spelling out for me who this person is.
Perhaps people like r3 could do the same when it comes to people who were stars before they were born.
- r127, not only ignorant, but also proud of it and flaunting it right in the readers of this thread's faces to stir up shit and start the very flame war.
- Yeah...I don't personally get concerned if someone doesn't know who an entertainer is or was, because they may very well not care much about movies or music. BL's humanitarian efforts didn't go down in history books. So the kid made a bum post. No need for the excessive meanness...or meanness at all. And yes, I'm actually miffed enough about this to weigh in on it over a year later.
- His statement was waaaaay less douchebaggish than the backlash he got for it.
- R3 = Malaysian bareback twink now living in L.A. and taking loads on Cam4.
- r129. It's supposed to be in insult. These 'who is this celebrity, is he famous or in any way important?' posters throw shade at the posters for wasting time discussing a 'no-name' in the eyes of the 'who is this celebrity, ...' posters who consider their personal taste the one and only good taste.
- [R110]: That was Montgomery Clift in The Skin of Our Teeth. Brando was in I Remember Mama. But the show that got him Streetcar was Truckline Cafe. He had one small bit involving drowning his wife (offstage) that had the theatre community stunned.
- R110= Ignorant bitch who should google this shit.
- never could understand his or Kirk Douglas's stardom. They were actually weird looking. At least Lancaster could act though...
- r3 you're an idiot. How about some knowledge concerning the history of cinema. You, in a nutshell, are the epitome of what is wrong with your dumbed down generation.
- He was gorgeous
- R138, Are you effing kidding me? You must be.
- "He was great pals with Rock Hudson. Many gay & bi-sexual men have said they saw him at Rock Hudson's all gay male orgies (and that he allegedly participated...mostly as a bottom), in the 1960's."
where do you people GET this information? A reference would be helpful and not that Babalon Confidential shit.
- Isn't he the one that David Cassidy said fucked him up the "cookie cutter"?
- It looks like he's got a Muppet straddling his dick.
- The other Burt Lancaster thread is so much gentler and more civilized.
- Well, he wasn't naked in the other thread, was he?
- I always thought he was sexy. Wonder why he had a nude picture taken of himself...did they all do that?
"I LOVE opera. I've seen "Phantom" five times!!!!"
- Why all the hate for Burt Lancaster? It's turning into a Burt Lancaster hate meme.
- IN his last film contracts he would always demand a driver who was "accommodating."
- His bush looks like Graucho Marx with a cigar!
- I didn't think he was gay, I thought he was a cross dresser. Have I got my actors mixed up?
- Kirt Douglas? I never found anything sexy about Kirt Douglas.
- I wasn't born in the 18th century. What is all this blah about the American Revolution and that paper they wrote? I just don't get it! Ewwww!
- I beg to differ about Kirk, R152. His chin-cleft alone was to die for.
- He has a pencil dick! Very disappointing. Nice balls, though.
- I want more gossip from R99 and R126! I really don't care in the slightest about the Hollywood IQ of R3.
- W&W, R23.
- Excuse me guys but stop thrashing BURT LANCASTER!I bet you would love to get fucked by him,when he was in his prime and later! Don't be such hypocrites!
- You know, I never thouht of him much growing up, he never did all that much for me, would do in a pinch, etc. Nowadays though, if I see some of his movies I think OMG his ass is fabulous. What was that navy movie he was in ?, The Caine Mutiny ??---I needed my smelling salts for that one, his ample bottom was showing nicely in that navy uniform. And he seemed like such a nice, friendly guy but I read somewhere he was kind of a bitch to work with on the set.
- *THRASHES burt lancaster*
- This thread reminds me of another cultural illiterate: Suzanne Vega.
That "dit dit duh duh dit dit duh duh" song by Vega contains these lines:
I open up the paper
There's a story
Of an actor
Who had died
While he was drinking
He was no one
I had heard of
The actor who was "no one" she had "heard of" was said to be William Holden. William Holden, star of "Sunset Boulevard", "Stalag 17 (he won the Academy Award for Best Actor):, "Sabrina", "Picnic", "Born Yesterday", "The Bridge on the River Kwai", "The Country Girl", "Golden Boy", "The Wild Bunch" and "Network." Suzanne Vega is quite full of her own artistic importance, but she must have been quite the culturally illiterate cluck if she had never heard of William Holden.
- Mmmmm, William Holden (r161), I want to spank both William Holden and Burt Lancaster in some kind of uniform, too bad they've gone to that big Hollywood in the sky. Is it true that Jackie O and William Holden had a love child in the 1950s?
- Tony Curtis was Burt's bottom boy.
- Not knowing about classic cinematic actors does not make one culturally illiterate.
- I'm not familiar with him either, but as a babygay I did jack off more than once to a picture of the beach scene from "From Here to Eternity."
- "Not knowing about classic cinematic actors does not make one culturally illiterate."
People who don't have even a general knowledge about legendary or classic actors tend not to know much about a lot of other things. I would guess that poor R9 has never heard of Charlie Chaplin, Greta Garbo, Spencer Tracy, James Dean, Clark Gable, Jean Harlow, Joan Crawford, Bette Davis, the Marx Brothers, or Judy Garland, either.
- He's star of the month on TCM and this topic came up in Robert Osborne's commentary, apparently he's seen a lot of golden age Hollywood stars in the nude and went into some detail about the circumstances of such photos and the fraternity of some of the nude models of the day.
- The bush is hot. The forearms are hot. The obviously shorn rest of his body is not, especially in contrast with the natural hairy parts.
- Completely disagree, R166. While there may or may not be a higher incidence of correlation among "doesn't know who Burt Lancaster is," "young person who visits Datalounge," and "is culturally illiterate," your generalization is invalid. More specifically, the generalization does not merit such overreactions.
Outside of younger ones on this website, there are plenty of brilliant people of ALL ages who choose to focus on one or two studies or skills, yet barely have a clue about the pop culture history of fields other than their own.
- I have secret information about him, and will let it go at that
- Do you know about the cultural figures of the 1890's, R166? No? You are culturally illiterate then.
- "Do you know about the cultural figures of the 1890's, [R166]? No? You are culturally illiterate then."
As a matter of fact, I AM familiar with prominent people of that era, you ignorant twat. Let me enlighten you with the names of a few:
William Randolph Hearst
H. G. Wells
I'm sure all those names mean nothing to you. You should try reading sometime. It might help.
- How did guys get blown back then with those giant bushes? Ewww.
- real men knew how to do it, R173. Not silly faggots like you. Oops, sorry, "straight acting" faggots like you.
- R174 that response was out of line and way over the top.
- I will only blow cock with a big bush yum
- You really are a dumb, old cunt, R172. Pop cultural figures of the era, not literary people and businessmen. You know, the equivalent of Burt Lancaster, not CEOs like Gerard Philippe and writers like William Faulkner.
- There was that first lady of the stage whose name I always mix up with a famous nurse and the great Caruso.
- R172 really comes across as a moronic turd. Who were the actors and actresses of that time? You know, the cultural figures most comparable to Burt Lancaster? You can start with Sarah Bernhardt and Maurice Barrymore, and go from there... You criticize others for not knowing who Burt Lancaster is, but you yourself couldn't even list the great actors and actresses of the 1890's?
- Why were so many men uncut back then? Was it because of the Great Depression?
- People were so poor during the Great Depression that they didn't throw ANYTHING away.
- and yet they were rich in SEXINESS
- Never heard of him until now but he was hot!!!!
- "really comes across as a moronic turd. Who were the actors and actresses of that time? You know, the cultural figures most comparable to Burt Lancaster? You can start with Sarah Bernhardt and Maurice Barrymore, and go from there... You criticize others for not knowing who Burt Lancaster is, but you yourself couldn't even list the great actors and actresses of the 1890's?"
Oh blow it out your ass, you dumb cunt. Your comparison is idiotic. The "great actors and actresses" of that era weren't exactly household names. Actors in that era did theater and nothing else. It's stupid to compare them to major movie stars. Actors from that era have nothing to do with Burt Lancaster, dummy.
- "Suzanne Vega is quite full of her own artistic importance, but she must have been quite the culturally illiterate cluck if she had never heard of William Holden."
You're presuming that she's writing autobiographically. Although she did say "Luka" was based in fact, it's still a bit of a leap to think that every song sung by every singer in the first person singular is autobiographical.
- Y"ou really are a dumb, old cunt, [R172]. Pop cultural figures of the era, not literary people and businessmen. You know, the equivalent of Burt Lancaster, not CEOs like Gerard Philippe and writers like William Faulkner"
You really are a clueless fucktard. I don't think there was anybody who could accurately be called "pop cultural figures" back then. There were great writers and artists and minds, but "pop cultural figures?" No, I don't really think there was an equivalent to Madonna and Lady Gaga and Justin Bieber back then. And there sure wasn't an equivalent to to Burt Lancaster; actors in those days were very different from the ones in films. There were no films back then. Bet you didn't know that, did you? No, of course you don't.
- R175 - Prissy McPriss, waiting for the smelling salts.
- Burt Lancaster looked enormously sexy with or without clothes. PERIOD!
- Burt Lancaster aged really well, too. Even in middle-age he was still hot.
If Burt were still alive, he would have been 99 years old last week!
Evelyn Nesbitt, The Girl in the Red Velvet Swing
- I love OP's photo of Burt for many reasons but one is just the way his fists are clenched in combination with that big inviting smile which all seems to be saying:
"C'mon, I'm ready for anything!"
- R184/R186 is quaking in her muumuu. She failed to be authoritative, and now all that remains are varicose veins and the grave.
- Lovely bush.
- R193 LOL! Yes.
- R180. The vast majority of males in the world throughout the dawn of history, today and into the future have been, are and will be uncircumcised. Why? Because circumcision is unnecessary and barbaric. Remaining intact has nothing to do with the Great Depression in the U.S.
- Beautiful body!
- Stars back in the day were rumored to get into some pretty wild stuff,I wonder if stuff like that goes on now and who is into what.
- Lancaster was a vocal supporter of liberal political causes, and frequently spoke out in support of racial minorities. He was a longtime supporter of gay rights, joined the fight against AIDS after his close friend, Rock Hudson, contracted the disease.
- I know that all of you would love to get fucked by Burt and i find it absolutely natural.
He was sooooooo sexy!
- R3 is under 60, lets throw rocks at him.
- Can't people like R3 spend a few seconds looking it up rather than asking who someone is and embarrassing themselves?
- Ok...enough with Burt and his naked body. Lol!
Below there is a photo of Burt with his second wife Norma Anderson (April 1947)
He looks like a kid and she looks like his mommie!
Burt Lancaster married three times overall in his life.
June Ernst (1935 - December 1946) (divorced)
Norma Anderson \t(28 December 1946 - July 1969) (divorced) 5 children
Susan Martin \t(10 September 1991 - 20 October 1994) (his death)
As you can see with Norma, Burt tried obviously more.
- Burt Lancaster practices his golf during the filming of 'The Unforgiven'
He had the most beautiful body obviously! With or without clothes that's so obvious!
- Damn, R204, that's a *nice* schlong!
- Hehehe, yeah....R205
Boxer Sugar Ray Robinson visits Burt Lancaster on the set of 'The Flame and the Arrow'
I love his hands too...
- It's Beautiful.
- Love when he wrestled Gorgeous George in a charity match. Sexy sexy man. George, not so much.
- Great forearms.
- Once, John Houstone played a practical joke on him. Lancaster was playing in a gold tournament, and Houston hired a crop duster to shower the golf course with ping-pong balls.
- An absolute hottie
- Burt was a hot daddy in a movie with Peter Capaldi who is the new "Doctor Who."
Check out "Local Hero." Excellent film.
- R212, i will certainly check it. I haven't seen it yet.
- John Bromfield & Burt Lancaster lighting up on the set of "Sorry, Wrong Number"
- Didn't John Bromfield (at R214) have a thing going with Tab Hunter?
- I guess they had R215. Here's s photo with the two of them (Tab Hunter and John Bromfield)
- Looks natural here...
- Wow, great photo R217!
- I believe that's Ava Gardner there, R217.
- Yup, Ava!