- Very coincidental, given the recent scandal but Queen''s cover for News of the World. Scary robots will kill you!
- True, r1.%0D\
"Weasels Ripped My Flesh."
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_3oLB6Otdlcs/TP_hhKE9CrI/AAAAAAAAI4o/mI4a-jl-jDo/s1600/The Mothers of Invention - Weasels Ripped My Flesh.jpg
- The first album I ever owned, Wham, Make It Big.\
It didn''t freak me out but it sure as hell intrigued me. I remember looking at that picture for a long while trying to figure out if George Michael and Andrew Wrigley were touching leg-to-leg in the background of the picture. I also remember wondering, "Are they gay?! They''re laying awfully close to each other."
- Alice Cooper''s album with the naked baby in makeup sitting in money.\
I was convinced they would sacrifice the baby to the devil.
- Mom''s Apple Pie.
- Jar of Flies by Alice In Chains, by older brother had this record, as a kid it frightened me a little.
- Oops. Forgot link.
- Any Ohio Players album because there were naked women on the covers. Ew.
- Herb Alpert - I had no idea what it was about, but I was intrigued
- Pink Floyd Animals. Led Zepellin IV
- Kind of off topic and I think this has been linked on DL before but here''s a great site of questionable album covers.
- The Edgar Winter Group - They Only Come Out at Night.%0D\
- Sticky Fingers
- Led Zeppelin were very intriguing, but they made sure to shroud their calculated image in tons of mystery. All their LPs had weird covers, the rune symbols on Led Zep four etc.
Then there was the obelisk object released to the music press during "Presence'.
Most of the information about Led Zeppelin was gossip and hearsay.
When, and if, the band gave interviews, all they talked about was their music. Very little was released about their private lives and especially about Page's interest in the occult. Page was said to head some secret occult society! None of this was ever verified by Page himself.
Three of the guys were married, Page never talked about his live-in model girlfriend and his child with her. Fans would get glimpses when a lucky photographer actually was there to get a photo of Page and his family. Back then paparazzi weren't as in-your-face as today.
None of Page's interest in the occult was ever acknowledged by him, til this day Page refuses to talk about his interest in Aleister Crowley and the occult. He did mention owning an occult bookshop in London.
He owned Crowley's house in Scotland for about ten-fifteen years, but he only spent a total of 30-40 days there during all that time. This was verified by a close friend of Page, and his family, who had actually lived in and took care of the house.
When any band shrouds themselves in such mystery, you know their rabid fans will eat it all up. It all adds to the myth.
former music publicist
- Diana Ross - Diana Ross
- Here''s one from 1965 that I found weird and intriguing at the age of ten:
- Oops, didn''t ee that the TJB one had already been taken. I''ll go with this one:
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_TtoVkBF0Gro/TCPiEn_Z6yI/AAAAAAAADwc/rbLS1jaA5v4/s1600/20100621 Lena-Horne-Lovely-And-Alive adj.jpg
- Ramones Rocket to Russia, my sister had it and I was in complete disbelief that a man could have a cock the size of Joey Ramone. Check it out, it looks flaccid and huge.
- Emerson, Lake & Palmer\
Brain Salad Surgery
- Another vote for "Sticky Fingers"--loved zipping/unzipping that fly...mom and dad should have figured it out earlier.
- Hipgnosis consistently created nightmare fuel, the kind of stuff an 80s baby would see in their Boomer parents'' record collection at an early age and be haunted by for the rest of their lives. I don''t blink an eye at a stray black cat crossing my path but I cringe at the thought of Houses of the Holy, that weird dimensionless black obelisk, Peter Gabriel''s melting face, etc. As a teenager I had a book of Storm Thorgerson''s favorite record covers and it was like Lex Luthor assembling his Legion of Doom - it included a couple of creepy covers listed here and that weirdass naked Blind Faith cover girl who I''m pretty sure will be the last thing I see before I die
- King Crimson\
In the Court of the Crimson King
- "I was in complete disbelief that a man could have a cock the size of Joey Ramone. Check it out, it looks flaccid and huge."%0D\
I think you mean Dee Dee (second from right), Joey''s the first on the left.
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_NcCuQKcZVNE/TB-FXeV9hYI/AAAAAAAABSI/ioKjlpVjdoU/s1600/Ramones - Rocket To Russia.jpg
- Patty Smith - Easter
- It''s Patti with an "i" and did it freak you out or intrigue you?
"Alice Cooper''s album with the naked baby in makeup sitting in money. I was convinced they would sacrifice the baby to the devil"\
Ahhhhh....."Billion Dollar Babies1" Great album! My older brother had it, and I remember freaking out my mom when my 7 y/o old self serenaded her with my squeaky rendition of " I Love The Dead"!\
Alice Cooper......has he come out yet?
- Alice Cooper is straight.
- EJ - Captain Fantastic. I used to stare at that cover for hours.
- Black Sabbath. I was convinced I could see eyes looking at me through those windows. \
Also, post pics guys!!
- I forgot about the books of Hipgnosis LP covers, I think there were three.\
I picked them up for $1.00 each when there were two amazingly cheap bookstores on 8th Street, Bookmasters and I forgot the other one, perhaps Barnes & Noble before they became cafes with books? \
I got an amazing book collection from their $1-$5 stacks, a signed Andy Warhol book (I didn''t realize it was signed until I got home, other wise I would have bought 20 copies!), tons of wonder large format art books, just a ton of great reading.
"Alice Cooper is straight"\
He IS? Ooops, my bad! Guess the ''dar needs adjusting!
- Kate Bush''s "Never For Ever" used to freak me out as a kid.
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_rPjIjkYNrD4/TQS1sWyEOGI/AAAAAAAABXw/PkHWqhbsxdg/s1600/Never For Ever.jpg
- And the back of the album had her dressed as a bat, flying through the night sky. %0D\
Totally freaky and wierd.
- R31, yes, you better readjust the ''dar. NOTHING about Alice Cooper is gay. Have you ever even seen him in concert or listened to his lyrics?
- Styx''s Pieces of Eight album cover from 1978. I don''t know what intrigued my 11-year-old self more....the old lady faces with chignon hairdos or the Easter-Island-Head earrings.
A renegade who had it made
- Plasmatics New Hope for the Wretched.\
Bought it, loved it.
- This really bothered me a s a child--I''m surprised no one''s mentioned it:
- This Elton John album cover also used to really bother me. On the back, in the left hand bottom corner, there''s a back view of a little person that seems to be inside a piece of crockery with a record on top--the crockery is broken so his ass is exposed, and he''s shitting little gold pieces.\
It really grossed me out as a child.
- "This really bothered me a s a child--I''m surprised no one''s mentioned it:"\
You think that version was creepy, did you ever see the original banned cover version? Bowie with a dog''s dick?
- Intriguing indeed.
- As a pre-teen I spent hours looking at this cover
- This was jerk-off material for me in my teens.
- Help Yourself by Tom Jones. I was about five years old when it was released and even though I was not sure what he ment, I sure did appreciate his attitude.
- This one by ELO:
- Captain fantastic and the brown dirt cowboy
- [quota]As a pre-teen I spent hours looking at this cover\
I remember that cover, turned me on big time.
- I never saw this as a kid, but I wish I had. It''s my favorite album cover by a (dirty) mile.
- This was the sheer terror of tripping on acid while listening to Houses of the Holy and realising that the hunky Swan Song record label dude has no genitals.
- Basically any Grace Jones album cover from the early 80s. They were all very stylized and she always looked eerie, androgynous and extreme. To my unsophisticated childish eyes, that was scary...but intriguing.
- Awww R2- that was the first album I ever bought. Brings back great memories of a hippy childhood.
- 5 Neat Guys%0D\
Let''s Have a Party in My rec Room
- Prince - 1999 (inner sleeve photo)%0D\
I''m pretty sure it was this image that triggered my love of and fascination with big bubble butts.
http://www.minilps.net/images/stories/shop_image/product/1999 inner 2 1.JPG
- The cover of the Backstreet Boys'' Millenium CD intrigued me every time I passed it in the department store. Specifically, it gave me a tingly feeling "down there."
- I bought it for the Album Cover.\
"You''re Still the One"
- You just HAD to make the first part of the thread ALL about you, didn''t you R14?
- Controversial H.R. Giger artwork for The Dead Kennedys "Frankenchrist." Appropriately, it was distributed as an insert.
- Not really the cover, but I remember the booklet of snoop dogg doggystyle, I was six at the time.
- The guy in the middle of the Orleans cover used to be my U.S. Representative. He was awesome. Now we have some Republican frau cunt.
- Intrigued category because in those pre-internet days you couldn''t just see a naked man anytime you wanted. I used to go to the Rush section of the record store just to look at this for a few seconds as a youngster. Looking at it now it isn''t even a nice ass:%0D\
- Pixies, Come on Pilgrim\
great record, scary/creepy cover
- My brother bought a Grand Funk Railroad album, and the inner sleeve contained a photo of Mark Farner''s hairy chest. Naturally, I was intrigued by Mark Farner''s hairy pecs. Unfortuanately, can''t remember which album it was from.
- [quote]Basically any Grace Jones album cover from the early 80s. They were all very stylized and she always looked eerie, androgynous and extreme. To my unsophisticated childish eyes, that was scary...but intriguing%0D\
I was a teen when Grace Jones was popular during the disco era, and her album covers used to scare the sh*t out of me!
- The Moody Blues "On The Threshold Of A Dream"\
I think its freakiness speaks for itself, frankly. Just look at it!
- OP - I can answer at least one of your questions...
- I think it was Alice Cooper''s "School''s Out" that came with a pair of paper underpants. My sister wore them to school one day.
- R45--my sister had that record when I was a kid and I remember being shocked and fascinated by the record player taking a shit (see the lower left panel in your link).
- No contest. The greatest rock album cover ever.\
Sticky Fingers. Sticky Fingers Sticky Fingers.\
All hail Joe Dallesandro.
- This one.
- I adore this one.
- Nightmares for weeks
- Thanks R64 just brilliant.
- Regarding "Sticky Fingers", I remember as a kid seeing it on display with the wrapper always open at the zipper. Guess, people wanted to check out to see if there was a cock.
- Fucked up the link.
http://www.emeraldcityvinylrecords.com/Rock1/Moody_Blues/Moody Blues On a Threshold of a Dream.JPG
- And this one as well. Ugh.
http://artwork.trhosking.com/00 Unsorted/00 Untagged/Rolling Stones - Tattoo You/cover(1).jpg
- Yoko''s boobs are droopy, but other than that, her body was pretty good. John? Well, he was a straight guy. They don''t give two craps.
- Dead or Alive - Sophisticated Boom Boom
- Heart, LITTLE QUEEN\
As a young gayling, it was one of the first rock albums I ever bought. I loved the Wilson sisters in all their gypsy rocker glamor. (I loved Stevie Nicks, too.) They were girls, they were beautiful, and they rocked hard.
- Another vote for Captain Fantastic. Loved the music, still do. The album cover was fascinating, still is.\
Prince''s Controversy was the sexiest album cover I''ve ever seen. Sticky Fingers is second.
- This has always been a pretty creepy cover. This is actually the inside cover of Peter Hammill''s "The Silent Corner and the Empty Stage".\
The front cover looks like a cut off penis.
- When Debbie went solo...
- Front cover.\
I was like WTF? when this came out. And what''s going on with the deep sea diver?!
- "When Debbie went solo..."\
IIRC, that was another LP cover done by Giger, who did the ELP "Brian Salad Surgery" artwork, as well as the Jello Biafra/Dead Kennedy''s art linked here, the cocks in the assholes.
- this freaked me out when i was a kid...
- The original Tommy album was a fold out triptych showing a blue globe with diamond cutouts. There were seagulls and a figure pointing at the album owner. Inside was a large booklet with lyrics and pictures illustrating parts of the story. I had those pictures taped to the headboard and footboard of my bed. \
I wish I could find reproductions of those pictures.
- Would you like to buy my original copy of Tommy, R86?\
Seriously, you can find one on eBay, there are tons of LP Sellers with Mint condition LPs complete with their original booklets and whatever cool inserts LPs had back then,\
My copy is not for sale, in fact I still collect vinyl.
- Has no one posted this one yet? I''m surprised. I used to go over this one for the longest time. %0D\
- Beatles Butcher cover bump.
- [quote] Would you like to buy my original copy of Tommy, %0D\
I have the original album.%0D\
I just can''t remember what the illustrations looked like. Lots of dark blue, maybe a kid in a chair?
- Millie Jackson squeezing out some big, hard stool on the cover of "Back to the Shit"
- Not the cover, but the STRANGE DAYS sleeve.
- I was intrigued by the cover art of Black Sabbath's debut (spooky lady standing in front of a medieval water mill) and King Crimson's debut (grotesque painting of a screaming face).
- This one.
- Every Good Boy Deserves Favour from The Moody Blues. I remember being frozen with terror whenever my older sisters played the opening track "Procession", especially the weird synth effects and the loud a capella "DESOLATION!!!! ISOLATION!!!!!" opening lyric. I practically shit my pants in the early 70's (I was about 3 and yes, I totally remember it) and I was fascinated to see my 7 year old nephew react in a similar way when my oldest sister played the album. I hadn't heard it in decades and it even sacred me.
But the cover is a nightmare. Remember when album covers were made of different paper types and textures? This album had a matte finish, which just added to the weird nightmarish artwork. It was like a fuzzy nightmare that I couldn't wake from, and this whole scene was in one of my vivid dreams too.
- Rush "Hemispheres". I already liked their music at age 13, but I saw that album cover and had to buy it. It was an excuse to have a picture of a naked guy in my room without arousing the suspicion of my parents. LOL.
- Those wonderful Iron Maiden album covers in the 1980s. When my older brother was out, I would sneak into his bedroom and play his metal albums and I would study those brilliant Iron Maiden album covers. My favorite covers of theirs were "Iron Maiden", "Killers", "The Number of The Beast" and "Piece of Mind"... I could stare at them for hours.
- BLACK SABBATH'S "Sabbath Bloody Sabbath" cover used to give me nightmares as a kid. I loved the album, but the cover scared the poop out of me.
- The back of a Three Dog Night album. They are all sitting around naked. I was 12 and couldn't stop looking at it, their bushes and hairy chests
- Mom's Apple Pie. Dripping Vage. Yuk.
- My dad had this Amazing Rhythm Aces lp when I was small and it disturbed me greatly. You can't really see it in the pic, but it was the stuffing coming out of the frog's mouth that I had a problem with.
- Ozzy Osbourne's "Diary of a Madman" from 1981. I was 11 and it scared the crap out of me.
- [quote]Herb Alpert - I had no idea what it was about, but I was intrigued
Oh God yes, the whipped cream lady. Also, the album before with the woman in the yellow dress.
And, the woman in the black dress of Alan Sherman's, "My Son the Folk Singer" album.
- Kiss "Destroyer", the cover freaked me out and I was so fascinated with it.
- This was always a fun cover to look at. Anything with comics or intricate artwork was appealing to me.
- The "Hill" on the back cover of FOOL ON THE HILL by Sergio Mendes & Brasil '66.
- I wanted to live in a $325,000 house in Malibu Colony. Oh, and I liked the album a lot. Someone had just dumped me.
- Queen - News Of The World. Even Family Guy devoted a whole episode to it!
- My older brother had this cd, 'Deloused in the Comatorium (20/20)' by Mars Volta, when I was about 10. The art work freaked me out but I couldn't stop looking at it.
- I always loved News Of The World cover. What I found strange was why was George Michael sniffing his armpit on Faith cover. I was disgusted with Guns n' Roses The Spaghetti Incident, but there is one album cover that I never really knew what to think of but it made me uncomfortable and that is Ted Nugent's Scream Dream.
- News of the World.