- Richard Rodgers and Helen Hayes did it first. Rita was third.
- [quote]The first major latina in showbiz.\
- Rita bitches about Ezio Pinza & Ray Bolger . . .
- Ahem. What about me?
- Does her head wrap have a name? What are those called?
- I was with her once and a fan ran up to her gushing about Oz and called her Chita. She did not correct him.\
I asked her why?\
"What''s the point, he knew my work and loved it, why make the man feel stupid because he mixed up a name. He knows my face and that''s enough for me.''\
- LOVED Rita on The Electric Company.\
"The COMMA is an itty bitty sign\
That says, ''Hey there, wait a minute, hold the line"
HEY YOU GUYYYYYYSSSS!
- [quote]The first major latina in showbiz%0D\
Excuse me? %0D\
Imogene Fernandez de Coca
- Really, R5? You don''t know a turban when you see one? Are you a lesbian?
- There''s no word to differentiate the artful head wrap on Ms. Moreno''s head from the lump of coiled fabric on this guy''s head? Really?
- And she co-hosted the 1980 Drum Corps International World Championships. Spin on that piece of trivia, bitches!
- [quote]The first major latina in showbiz.%0D\
Step aside girls.
- She tried to commit suicide over Marlon Brando. They had a torrid love affair. Betcha didn''t know that, did ya?
- I love Rita Moreno- she can do anything and I will watch. Not porn- I don''t go in for that straight stuff.
- Richard Rodgers won an emmy? Helen Hayes won a grammy? Moreno is the first to win tony, emmy, grammy and oscar. I love Rodgers'' music but did he win an emmy, grammy and oscar? I guess it''s possible, but Hayes won a grammy? That would surprise me.
- Had a lovely conversation with her one day. She has great titles on her resume, "West Side Story", "The King & I", "Carnal Knowledge" We talked about "The Four Seasons" and she told me that was her annual Christmas Eve movie curled up on the couch. I have "WSS" on DVD signed by her.
- R13 - do you know where you are?! I doubt anyone on this thread doesn''t know the Brando/Moreno info. See them in the movie - can''t quite remember the name - with Richard Boone, I think a kidnapping was involved ..... "The Night something" "Visitors"? anyway, I get so hung up watching them interact that clearly I don''t remember much else in the movie.
- She is such a Mama -- when her daughter graduated college and moved west to Berkeley for graduate school, Rita missed her so much that she too moved to the Bay Area.
- Finally! Someone famous we all like!
- [quote] I love Rodgers'' music but did he win an emmy, grammy and oscar?\
Academy Award: 1945 for "It Might AS Well Be Spring" for the movie STATE FAIR\
Grammy: 1960 for SOUND OF MUSIC Original Cast Album \
1962 for NO STRINGS Cast album\
Emmy: 1962 for music composed for WINSTON CHURCHILL: THE VALIANT YEARS
- She''s my favorite character on Oz, even more than Beecher and Keller as much as I love them.
- Thanks, R20, for letting me know. Not so surprised about Rodgers - as I said, he''s one of the great ones and his music is timeless. By far one of the best - if not the best - composers who came from Broadway. Song after gorgeous song, year after year after year.
- She and Fran Drescher are in a new series called "Happily Divorced."
"I had a dream ... a dream abouchew, bebe!!"
- Dolores Del Rio and Ramon Navarro (cousins) were the first. Research before you post OP.
- She truly EGOTed...no special awards or Daytime Emmys for Rita. No siree.
- [quote]The first major latina in showbiz.\
Are you really under the delusion that the U.S. is the only place that has "showbiz"?
- Yes, R27. Comment on dit "show biz"? Como se dice "show biz"?
- I like her - perhaps leftover good feelings from The Electric Company, because I''ve not seen her in anything for years. But I can never, ever, forgive her for starring in the craptastic pilot for Empty Nest that masqueraded as a Golden Girls episode. I watch GG repeats all the time on Hallmark, but when that episode airs, I just shut it off.
- She must have been even more disappointed than Chita Rivera when Janet Leigh was cast in Chita''s Latina role in the film of Bye Bye Birdie, just after Rita won her Oscar.%0D\
As deserved as Rita''s Oscar win was, it didn''t lead to any juicy roles in films.
- R15, Helen Hayes won a Grammy in 1976 in the "Best Spoken Word Recording" category for "Great American Documents".\
By the way, wasn''t Moreno''s Grammy for the LP of "Electric Company"? In that case, it''s technically an award shared by all the artists on the LP and not an award given specifically to Rita Moreno, non?
- Rita Moreno was not the first major Latina in showbusiness, honey.
- No one has yet mentioned her being in Singin'' in the Rain as Zelda Zanders. "Anytime, Lina!"
- Do Rita and Chita get along?
- Was it in the "summer stock" thread that someone said they saw a production of Gypsy w/ Moreno as Mama and she totally went up on one of the songs and just kept repeating "Get a feathered hat for the baby" and finally uttered "23 Skidoo June!" to end it.%0D\
Someone please correct me if I''m wrong. Either way, it''s a funny image.
- Liza loves Chita but not Rita.
- She couldn''t stand Natalie Wood and her godawful PR accent in West Side Story.
- Well, can we all agree that she was the first (and only?) Latina to win an Oscar?
- It''s funny to connect Rita''s casting in West Side Story by Jerome Robbins who I guess first worked with her in the film of The King and I which Robbins choreographed but didn''t direct. %0D\
I assume he did not cast her as Tuptim since Tuptim doesn''t dance in The King and I though she narrates the big Robbins ballet Small House of Uncle Thomas. The two films seem far more years apart to me than they actually were, probably a mere five.
- R36, that''s because Liza fucked Lisa and not Fernanda.
- hi again Anjune.
- [quote]Was it in the "summer stock" thread that someone said they saw a production of Gypsy w/ Moreno as Mama and she totally went up on one of the songs and just kept repeating "Get a feathered hat for the baby" and finally uttered "23 Skidoo June!" to end it.\
I thought that was Lainie Kazan?
- I love Rita Moreno. What was interesting about Rita''s torrid love affair with Brando is when he died what was found. He kept a picture of her after all those years, and her picture was the only one displayed and saved out of all the women he had in his life. Why he cut their relationship so abruptly is a mystery to everyone. %0D\
I adore Cheta Rivera as well. For my Birthday my family took me to see Can Can staring Cheta Rivera. This was right at the time she had an injury and she was older at the time. Dam! that woman could dance despite the obstacles! She was exhilarating to watch and it is something I''ll remember for the rest of my life because that was truly a special Birthday. %0D\
Is there an autobiography or biography on Rita Moreno that anyone can recommend? If you can I would greatly appreciative it. %0D\
BTW, has anyone ever heard that Cheta is bi? I have heard that but who knows if that is just rumor. %0D
- This is R43. So sorry, I mispelled Chita Rivera! I adore her so much that I mispelled her name! LOL! ugh!
- reta is good, but she is not cheeta. whatver it is, the dance the class, she does nt have it.
- Chita is a great stage performer but has a face that is best viewed from the balcony. She''s not much of an actress and has little charisma. Rita came to NY in the 70s and carved out an impressive career onstage in dramas and comedies. You could imagine Rita doing Velma in "Chicago" or Aurora in KOTSW (I would have liked to see that) but Chita as Googie in "The Ritz"? No way.
- She was horrendously terrible in SUNSET BLVD in, I think, Toronto? She simply couldn''t sing the score and made Diahann Carroll and Glenn Close sound like Maria Callas doing it in comparison. She never played the role on Broadway for this reason, I believe. Has she done any singing roles since then (circa 1997)? I don''t think so...
The Lady''s Braying
- During the run of THE RITZ, Moreno had an affair with co-star Stephen Collins. Both were married at the time.
I was there...
- mlop would never misspell Chita''s name. It''s one of the few things she holds sacrosanct.
She threw her leg in the air.
- Wow r48 thanks for that bit of gossip. Especially when he ws younger, he was so handsome! Is he totally straight?
- Yes, he''s totally straight, and a very nice man. Rita took advantage of him during THE RITZ, using him like a boy toy. She''s not as nice as this thread would make you think.
I was there...
- WEHT Stephen Collins'' wife the beautiful and talented redhead Faye Grant? Did she leave the business? Are they still married?%0D\
- The FIRST Latina superstar was Rita Hayworth, nee Margarita Cansino. %0D\
You all forgot about her, bitches!
- I don''t think Rita is nice. You can''t have gone through all the shit she''s been through as a Latina performer for all these years and still be nice. She should sing "I''m Still Here."%0D\
For the record, I worked with her and she was a professional to the core.
- I didn''t forget about her, R53. But Rita was half Irish and was always packaged as a "white, non-latina" star.\
We all forgot Maria Montez.
- [quote]We all forgot Maria Montez.\
She forgot about us, decamping to Paris and marrying a local MD
- Also, Rita Hayworth was pissed because people would say to her, so your Mexican? she would say wrong! I'm half Spanish and half Irish! It wasn't that she was prejudice it was the fact that people lumped Mexican and Spanish ethnicitys together when in fact they are very different.%0D
R55 Maria Montez is extremely interesting. I once read that when she came out to Hollywood from Spain to do some films, she said to the studio executives, I know you rip your stars off ,but you will not get away doing that with me because I expect every penny. If try to rip me off,'ll sue you to kingdom come. She said, trust me, I'm not the least bit afraid of you. She was a smart business woman who did not take the least amount of BS from anyone in a good way.%0D
What is even more interesting is her death. She loved very hot baths and her body got used to getting into a very hot tub of water. usually this is very dangerous and causes a heart attack ,but her body was used to this routine. however, she was found dead in her bath tub taking her usual very hot bath. the cause of death was listed as a heart attack. However, many others said the factors of her death was really strange to the point that there was a strong possibility of foul play involved.%0D
- Mar%C3%ADa Montez (June 6, 1912 %E2%80%93 September 7, 1951) was a Dominican-born motion picture actress who gained fame and popularity in the 1940s as an exotic beauty starring in a series of filmed-in-Technicolor costume adventure films. Her screen image was that of a hot-blooded Latin seductress, dressed in fanciful costumes and sparkling jewels. She became so identified with these adventure epics that she became known as "The Queen of Technicolor." Over her career, Montez appeared in 26 films, 21 of which were made in North America and five in Europe. -- Wikipedia\
And she married an actor, not a doctor, but R57''s post includes the strange circumstance of her death at 39.
- Uh, Delores Del Rio predates all of ''em!
- Diana Canova was half Cuban.%0D\
The Diana Canova Troll
- Delores Del Rio apparently was one of the most stunning women that anyone has ever seen. She had on going sexual affair with Orson Wells. She was supposed to have thee most seductive extremely pornographic panties and bras around. When she took her clothes off, her lingerie alone sexually turned men and that didn%E2%80%99t include her incredible beauty. I guess they had sexual scenes leading to her vagina on panties? Apparently her bras and panties were custom made for her and designed by her. People never had seen a person wear anything remotely like that in those days.%0D\
- Maria do Carmo Miranda da Cunha...%0D\
aka Carmen Miranda
- She was just on "The Talk" and she is AMAZING! She is so honest and direct! She is a fierce diva!! Good gossip on her former lovers/costars.
- Rita Moreno lovely, passionate and wonderful to watch.
She also gave an outstanding performance in
'The Night of The Following Day', with Marlon Brando. She was very very good!
Rita Moreno in general was a fire but not threat or bad to others.
She was fire and she could dance in fire.
- Also a fantastic Pyramid and Password player.
EGOT and all, Rita IS a survivor, and works whenever she can in whatever medium will have her. And I love the fact that she was able to break away from the latina/exotic spitfire mold of her youth.
The range (from children's shows to Vegas and Musicals to Rockford Files/Oz to Four Seasons to The Nanny et al) of her work is admirable. The best thing she did was stay supporting, even if she had leading lady looks.
[quote]Richard Rodgers and Helen Hayes did it first. Rita was third.
True. Rita was the second PERFORMER to get all four in COMPETITIVE categories, Hayes being the first. Some purists may still argue she was the first, if you consider a Grammy an award that is supposed to honor singers (but where would that leave rappers?),, since Hayes'grammy was a spoken word one. None of Rita's awards have been special or lifetime achievement (seems at age 81, she has yet to achieve some more).
But the lady is a total drama queen and all said here about her backstage ways falls within the realm of believability. What we know for a fact is outrageous enough. The affairs, the suicide attempt, her over-the-top behavior and verbiage when winning awards, all are much bigger than her tiny frame (talk about a latina whose curves were always kept in check).
Watch her on the special commentary for the WSS DVD, where she exudes all the grand dame drama worthy of her very interesting life and career. Everything is BIG and PRECIOUS for this woman - except her hips!
Puerto Rican fan born the year West Side Story was filmed
- Brando should have married her.
She should appreciate her and respect her more.
- She was wonderful in the Muppet Show, especially her number with Animal, for which she won her first emmy.
- Was there EVER a better Anita?
- You're right r29. That Golden Girls episode was truly something awful. I think it was an attempt for a spin-off that never materialized or possibly morphed into Empty Nest? But I shut it off in reruns too.
- I bet she knew how to fuck well and passionately
- This still photograph of Marlon Brando passionately kissing naked Rita Moreno was taken during a love scene in 'The Night of the Following Day'.
Brando kept a print of this black-and-white picture hanging in his study until he died. It then got sold at an auction for $27000.
- Love for Rita bump
- I just watched Happily Divorced and Rita Moreno IMO is the best thing in it, perfect as "Mom." Her reaction shots are fantastic. Her Googie Gomez was utter fabulousness. And of course, again IMO she was the best thing in West Side Story.
- Rita Moreno sexy and spicy
- Actually, she was beautiful, not only sexy.
- What a cool photo!
- I like this one too, nice!
- HIS REBEL BREED, Original 1960 Mark Damon, Sexy Rita Moreno Movie Photo
- They both purr. They can.
- yes, R68 , and her name is Chita Rivera.
It's telling that the women who've done Anita since 1957 either did reduced choreography or reduced vocals. Karen Olivo won a Tony of playing Anita with such laughably piss-poor dance skills the mind boggles.
Chita and Rita are friends, by the way. The legendary rivalry doesn't exist. They were set to perform Forbidden Broadway's Chita/Rita duet at a benefit but then Chita's taxi accident happened...a lost opportunity. They have sung togethr though, America at link
- Her Tony acceptance speech for The Ritz was so rude . . . stating that she should not have won for Best Featured Actress, as she was the show's leading lady.
- Actually i can see why Brando had an on and off affair with Moreno. She was hot as hell!
- I don't agree with you, r80. The role of Anita is much more than just singing and dancing, and Rita WAS Anita. She was a dirt poor immigrant from Humacao, PR with a pretty dark childhood. Chita was born in DC to a Puerto Rican father and a Scottish mother, and bred in the elite New York theater world. She can dance circles around Rita, but technique is where it stops.
I do agree with you on one thing Karen Olivo was a joke (doing 90's air snaps during America, which she could barely dance).
- Loved her in Oz. And I can never hear "Everything's Coming Up Roses" without thinking of "I had a dream!" as "I had a dring!"
- 'The Night of the Following Day' convinced me that Rita Moreno was a really great actress.
She blew me away. I knew she was a good actress, but i didn't know that she could be that good in a crime/drama movie. Bravo Rita.
- I've heard of the "Oscar curse", but it's crazy that Moreno didn't get a bunch of movie roles right after Oscar win. I wonder if she was considered for Bye Bye Birdie, at least?
- I had the pleasure of meeting Rita a few years ago. She's a great conversationalist and a warm, lovely person.
- She may have won a million awards but she's still under-rated.
She was beautiful, a fine comedian, a good singer... she could do it all... and down-to-earth, not pretentious.
- I cringe whenever I hear, "It's a little early in the morning to go shopping, isn't it Renee?"
- R87, lucky you.
Well, yes, it doesn't surprise me that Rita is warm and lovely. I'm glad that it is so.
R88, yes, i agree with you. Rita, despite the fact that she won an Oscar, she could have done a lot more. It was not her fault but other people's fault that Rita didn't play in more great movies. They didn't take advantage of her talent, generally. She could have been much much more!
- She would indeed have been perfect as Rosie in Bye Bye Birdie and even given that Ann Margret a run for her money.
What a missed opportunity! Was she even considered for the role?? Has she ever commented on that? Seems she's commented on just about everything else.
- She was very touching as Goren's dying mother in SUV. Say what you want about V D'O, but his best work on that show was in his scenes with Rita.
- Not plastic. Natural and breezy.
- Beautiful features
- Bang Bang in bed...
- With Tony Curtis.
- Interesting pose,interesting movie
- We approve Miss Moreno a lot!
- We approve of her a lot!
- Sweet and passionate
- 100 ways to like La Moreno!
- She could play drama so well. What a pity, they didn't give her more chances in dramatic roles.
She could play them, she proved it!
- And then she could also do the cheesiest camp made-for-TV drama.
Lesley Ann W., great actress but queen of cheesy Made-For-TV Filmdom
- Agree, R92. I'm a big VDO fan but agree that she brought out the best in him on that show.
- I love Rita (and Chita) but I have heard only few "horror" stories of her but I doubt there are few stars who haven't had their moments. The GYPSY production with her daughter, by all accounts, was pretty bad.
Anyone remember her occasional ROCKFORD FILES appearances? The rapport with Garner struck me even when I was consciously aware of such things and as a kid I always looked forward to her guest shots.
Rita however was never much of a singer. Check out any recording-"My Lord and Master" on the KING &I soundtrack and the big Tuptim duets reveal a little girl, whispery voice but ultimately what bits remained in the film works. Contrary to conflicting memories, it's obvious there was some Marni Nixon "sweeting" of her WSS vocals. What she, like Debbie Reynolds, was able to do was learn to use what limited vocal range to best effect and her star quality makes one think she is a better singer than technically she is.
One of my favorite performances was in POPI which I saw as a kid. She can do comedy, drama and play leads and support. I think very underrated but that she works constantly, I think, says something..
Rita is also one star who has always been beautiful and has remained so with little, to no work, probably more subject to airbrushing than cosmetic. She is epitome of aging gracefully and beautifully with style and grace. She is still stunning and sexy and yet was never been afraid to deglamorize and appear without makeup.
It was Kazan who went up the "Some People" lyrics..
I find it rather telling and touching Brando kept her photo with him till his death. By all accounts that affair really fucked her up for a while (even beyond the suicide attempt) and I think the consensus is Brando was a pig (look at how his kids turned out)
- Elegant Rita Moreno
You aged well sexy Latina
- They love you Rita!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
- Rita with Natalie Wood
- She's damn funny on Fran Drescher's sitcom now.
Far funnier than Renee Taylor was as Fran's mother on The Nanny - because Rita is a real actor and the character is based in reality.
- She has a daughter.
- At the end of the day, she's still not Chita.
- There's something so dirty and cheap about her.
- R112 maybe you just want to fuck her.
- One of my favorite performances. Rita taught me how to read!
- Nice video R114
- Noe Mmorgan Freeman backing up Rita.
- actually r49, mlop has misspelled Chita's name on more than one occasion, both as "Chits Rivera" and "Chita Rivers", to name two instances.
- Loooool R117, you are brill!
Viva Rita Moreno!!!!!!!!!
- Isn't Chita Rivers Joan's illegitimate half-latin sister?
- [quote] There's something so dirty and cheap about her.
The first time I remember seeing Rita Moreno was one of those parades of past winners at the Oscars. I remember thinking she looked like an old Vegas dame. She had on awful long earrings and waved at the camera in a "come on" way.
But then I discovered her in Oz, and have seen her in interviews. I don't think she's cheap/tacky now.
- Rita Moreno is looking at you Chits
- R120 answered to you about Rita's cheapness R112.
- Loved her since "The Electric Company".
- When I was a child, she came to Chicago and played Annie Sullivan in "The Miracle Worker" at the old Ivanhoe Theatre. She got great reviews--and, for all that it was a less "enlightened" era, I don't recall anyone commenting on a Latina playing an Irish woman. I think she also did "The Rose Tattoo" in Chicago, as well.
- She is talented. Period.
Rita Moreno ole!
- Googie Gomez!
this is a train wreck for both of them
- Chita, Rita and Evita at the Latin Inauguration
- I don't know. Didn't she try and commit suicide over Marlon Brando?
- R130 yes she did but she got over Marlon finally after that.
- Chita sang rings around Rita at the latino inauguration event. It was a disaster because they had to softpedal everything so Rita could keep up.
- Loved her in "Oz".
- Great Sunday Morning profile on Rita
- You know who's better? Cheetah Rivera.
- Remember the late 60's TV how Personality, hosted by Larry Blyden? You had to guess things about other HASBEENS and DREGS of show business. One day Rita was the guest , and Larry was reading several responses to inane questions, and the pathetic panel had to guess what answer was her response. The panelists may have been Milt Kamen, Julie Newmar, and an embarrassed Peter Lawford. While the responses were being read Rita went into facial contortions like someone was performing cunnilingus on her. those were the days.
- [quote]Dolores Del Rio and Ramon Navarro (cousins) were the first. Research before you post OP.
Ramon Novarro can be considered a Latina? Well, I guess he was pretty femme.